Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody is the j n V.
Speaker 3: Cholamine the guy. We are the breakfast Club. You got a special guest in the.
Speaker 1: Building, Yes, indeed, the brother Terrence Croft, and welcome.
Speaker 4: How you feeling feeling? Great?
Speaker 2: Fight goes down? July twenty ninth.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know you don'et heard this question a million times? But what took so long to make this fight happen?
Speaker 2: Man, listen to the mike, to the mike to the mic.
Speaker 4: Listen, listen, listen the fight here. I'm excited, fans excited, so it don't matter how long it took, as long as we got to the finish line.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's gonna be your toughest fight?
Speaker 4: I don't know. A lot of people ask me that every time I fight. I don't know until I get in the ring with him. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: How do you prepare for this fight?
Speaker 3: Are you prepare the same way or is there any different preparation for this one than any of the other fights that you've had.
Speaker 4: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just keep doing what I've been doing and everything else to play yourself out.
Speaker 1: You got to make some adjustments though. This is this is Earl Spinch. We talking about this is this ain't no, just.
Speaker 4: The guy that you had picked over there the moment.
Speaker 2: I remember, I don't.
Speaker 1: Forget I got you got her, not because you're not great. I just think you know styles fights. I think I think I forgot it.
Speaker 4: Definitely.
Speaker 1: You feel pressure going into this fight.
Speaker 4: Not at all, not at all. This is my moment, this is my time. That's what I've been waiting for in the world. Gonna see July twenty ninth.
Speaker 3: I always talk about you know, nowadays it feels like everybody wants to be undefeated, right, does that put more pressure on you? Because I think Floyd kind of did it with his fifty and no. But back then, you lose a fight, it was fine, I see you in the rematch and it was okay.
Speaker 2: It wasn't cool.
Speaker 3: But now it seems like when you lose a fight now everybody's like, oh, it's washed, it's over.
Speaker 4: And I don't think I never felt any pressure. I put my O on the line numerous of times with whoever they put in front of me. I called out the best fighters in each division that I've ever been in. Floyd have made it kind of hard for people to take a loss and keep going because so many people want to be like Floyd, and so many people was attracted to Floyd and follow Floyd's career, and they felt as if you wasn't like Floyd, then you wasn't that that guy, you know. But people lose, people come back, styles make fights, like he said, and things happen. So I never thought that a loss can define a fighter in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 1: I mean, Floyd's one of the best to ever do it. But why just look at Floyd? Why people don't look at Ali? You know, Lennux. All these great have lost, like Tommy hearn They've all lost.
Speaker 4: Because time, times has changed, social media have took an over. So when Tommy Hearns and Ali and all those great fighters that came before us, they didn't have to deal with the politics, they didn't have to deal with social media slandering though man doing this and doing that to impress people. So it's kind of different.
Speaker 3: You feel like, you know, you don't get the respect that you deserve when it comes to a lot of these fights, like even with you know, Charlamagne saying he thinks Arrow's gonna beat you, Like, do you feel like.
Speaker 1: A lot of this it's just boxing. It's just boxing at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Don't back down now, I got.
Speaker 4: You're gonna lose, definitely, definitely.
Speaker 2: But do you feel like you don't get the respect that you deserve?
Speaker 4: Always? Always?
Speaker 2: Why is that?
Speaker 4: But how how great I am? I look at all the great fighters that came before me. None of them got their respect until ay they lost or they retired. Nobody gave Floyd his respect until he retired, then they realized how great he was us. A lot of people didn't give Ali his respect. A lot of people didn't give Roy Jones his respect until they lost or they retired. The lost part, I don't know, because I guess when one has lost or took in defeat to another great fighter, they feel as if this fighter is not invincible, so they can feel as if he's on the level. Now, well, we brought him down to earth. Now we can laugh at him. Now we can praise him for all the good things that he's done. I guess.
Speaker 1: Earl said your record was inflated. What is that word inflated?
Speaker 4: Well, listen, he can say all those type of things, But when you look at who I fought and who he fought, and you look at what I've done to him. You know, it's no comparison.
Speaker 1: Did did you just I think I pronounced his name right, that he beat you in amages? Your guinness jutis Ugus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he beat me and the amateurs, and.
Speaker 1: Then Earl stopped him in the tenth ront when they fought. So Yugas said, there's no way you can beat Earl of Earl fights you the way he fought him. So does it matter if he beat someone who defeated you.
Speaker 4: Never listen, You're talking about a fight that happened when I was eighteen years old. I was a little kid. I was a little boy. You know that same little boy is no way shape form fashion the same little boy, you know, I mean the grown man that I am today. When I fought Ugust, I probably had like forty fights. Ugusts probably had hundreds coming from Cuba, and you know they fighting all the national I mean international tournaments, national ternams, all that, you know, So he had work experience at the time. So I wouldn't base him beat me at eighteen on a professional fight. We don't have no headgear on, We're fighting with smaller gloves, we're fighting longer rounds. Longer minutes in the rounds. So it's a lot of things that goes into fighting an amateur fight and fighting a professional fight. So a lot of people say, oh, well, you lost to ugas and this and that. A lot of people lost to a lot of people in the amateurs, and look what happened in a professional rankings. A lot of people can say, oh, with Terrence, you lost to this guy, you lost to that guy. Okay, Well, all the guys that I lost to in the amateurs, compare their career and professional to my career professional.
Speaker 1: Real What did you learn from those losses that you were able to take your professional career that has kept you undefeated?
Speaker 4: Well, a lot of things. I learned how to cope with certain styles. I learned how to capitalize on the things that I was doing wrong. So you just go back to the drawing board and fix the problem that that you had that led you to get the loss. You got to learn from it. And I felt like I learned from all my losses and I got stronger, I got wiser, I got more experience, and that led me to be the person that I am today in a professional ranking.
Speaker 1: Did you watch this fight with the fight between Spencon Yugas of course, and what did you think about it?
Speaker 4: It was a good fight. Errol did good, Ugus did good and it was a good fight.
Speaker 2: Now that fight was what twenty twenty one?
Speaker 1: I thought it was last year.
Speaker 3: Now he has important in over a years or does that give you the advantage of disadvantage? What's your thoughts to now?
Speaker 4: I don't even look at that like that. You know, he came off of long layoff prior to that, been in a car accident, and he came back and he looked too strong. He looked the good. So I'm not banking on him not being in the ring for him to come rusty or anything. He's a professional. He know how to fight, so come fight out, He'll be ready, just like I will.
Speaker 1: Is it better to be an independent promoter or to be assigned to one of these these companies?
Speaker 4: Well, in my situation, is better for me to be independent. I get the control my own destiny, I get to control my own faith and the rest is uphill for me.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't understand why the promoters don't want to make the best fights like this is the this is the fight we all want to see. This the fight that's gonna make the money. So what kept him from just making this fight?
Speaker 4: Well? Politics, you got you got two sides that that's powerhouses and you and neither side want to give in to the other side and Buss it's wise. It's better for me to do business in the house than outsource and have to share. So it's it's kind of like a greed thing.
Speaker 3: And how draining is is it doing all these interviews and press things when you gotta fight coming up and you gotta train.
Speaker 2: How draining is that?
Speaker 3: Because you gotta fly and go here And I even know Erro was supposed to come up here this morning, but you know his flight was delayed.
Speaker 2: How draining is that physically and mentally for you?
Speaker 4: Well, it's part of It's part of the game. As long as I get to get up early. I got to get up earlier, work out, come here, do this, do my other interviews, and hit the road, get back to training. Training never stops. We just got to alter it a little bit.
Speaker 1: You have a remats clause in the contract. Yeah, I mean, are you gonna exercise it?
Speaker 4: Who need try to? They have one?
Speaker 1: But no, no, I feel like this is gonna be one of those moments in time where y'all do fight more than once. I don't know if it's gonna be a trilogy, but definitely at least twice.
Speaker 4: I think so, could be, could be never know. Maybe some dramatic happened in the first fight where he don't he don't want overmatch.
Speaker 1: If that happens, let's say you wouldn't decisively right, Let's say, if it happens, would you retire?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't think there's a need for me to retire right now when I want to fight Jamel Charlo.
Speaker 2: Why why would you say retired?
Speaker 4: Deep?
Speaker 1: I mean, because this is the fight, Like you know, this is the fight. This is the fight that of whoever wins, this is probably going to end up being the number one found for pound in the sport.
Speaker 4: I would think, right probably it will be will be yeah, will be?
Speaker 1: So, I mean like you want y'allo, so, I guess that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the fight over the weekend with mayweathern Gotty? What was your thoughts on that fight.
Speaker 4: I didn't actually see the whole fight, but I've seen highlights of the fight. In the incident, it was crazy.
Speaker 2: You look at Mayweather be like damn in his age. He still got it.
Speaker 4: Definitely.
Speaker 3: He's still moving the slide and even when he was being attacked in that ring, he still kept his composure.
Speaker 2: It's still socked.
Speaker 4: On me, man, that right hand made God, he changed the subject. He was looking for somebody that stepped in the middle. But it's cool though. Man, It's all for entertainment. And I don't know what led that incident that happened, but you know it happened, and you know it's So do.
Speaker 1: You seek advice from guys like Maywether because you know he's he was an independent promoter and you talk to just about that and box and nothing.
Speaker 4: Oh No, with me and Mayweather talk, it's more like you know, how you doing, how the family everything going, how you feeling good, stay focused, stuff like that. You know, I look up to Mayweather. He's been one of my favorite fighters since I can remember him. And Roy Jones Jr. And uh yeah, Like I admire his work, ethic and everything that he's done in the sport.
Speaker 1: What boxer gives you the best advice?
Speaker 4: What boxer give me the best advice for just.
Speaker 1: In general boxing life? Whatever?
Speaker 4: Man, A lot of boxers, you know, I can say my coach, I can say my brothers, say my friends. I take a lot from you know, a lot of people, you know, because you can learn something from everybody, not just people that you think is on a higher platform or on a bigger stage than you. So yeah, if I can seek advice from anybody, I take it.
Speaker 1: I always wonder when when fighters get in the ring, do they do they take past fights with them or do you just whatever happened in the old fights you just leave them there? Like, is every fight a new.
Speaker 4: Thing for me? Yeah? Every fighter is a new thing. And that's how I try to go in training camp with a clear head. My coaches they trained me to the best of my ability and make sure that if we had any mishaps or a mess ups in the previous fight, that we capitalize on that and we fix the problem. And that's pretty much how we go into camp.
Speaker 3: Always wanted to know when when when a boxer picks a fight, right, you know, any any good boxes, they're gonna analyze your tape, analyze every fight that you do, and watch you. You know, because we all have you know, we're a habit, right, you have a habit of doing certain things do you how much do you change to make sure that they don't study that habit?
Speaker 4: Well, my thing is I'm so versatile and elusive that i can capitalize on anything my opponent's ever done in the ring. And I think that's why I rate myself so high, higher than other fighters, because you can fix one problem, but the more the fight goes, I'm experienced enough to recognize another problem. So I think that's why I rate myself high as I do.
Speaker 2: Who is your toughest opponent, the opponent that you've had so far?
Speaker 1: That dude from Lithuania, I can't pronounce his name, calass whatever. Yeah, when they say the one they say might have knocked you down, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know if he was. I would say the hardest fighting in my career, it would have to be between Vegas and in gambo Wow. Gamboa feet was just so fast and he was and he was so small to where he was darting in and darting out, and he was hitting me and making me miss just just buy in. So it was kind of like I had to I had to make certain adjustments, and he was making adjustments and I was making adjustments, and it was just like it was a chess match, but it was a fast chess match, and he was getting the better of me because he was more experienced, but at the same time he was more explosive. So I just had to, you know, figure figure out the puzzle a little longer.
Speaker 2: What stops you for being frustrated in that ring?
Speaker 3: Because most people you know watching that fight would have probably been frustrated and probably would have you know, left the hand down, left the chin available. So what makes you not get frustrated and calmed down and relaxed? You because you see it all the time. When you look at boxes in the ring, they're not listening to the coach. You could tell that their mind is on something else.
Speaker 1: Your demeaning of a change, it never changes at all, just like right now, it don't change.
Speaker 4: No, it's just you know, I think, like I said, the experience, I've seen it all. I've been in the ring with it all, and I know what to do and I know what I have to do. So when I get in those tough moments and those tough times, in those tough rounds, I know, keep doing what you're doing. It all playing out. You know, you just got to stay true to yourself. And fight your fight. If it ain't If one thing ain't working, you gotta resort to something else, Try something else. You can't just stick to the same thing. If it ain't working, then try something else, right, you know you got twelve rounds to do it, and if you don't, then you'll be banging your head on the table, like, why didn't I do this? Why didn't I try this? You already getting hit. I try to do something different.
Speaker 1: But if you had, if you have a whole game plan that you worked on through training camp, do you just abandon that.
Speaker 4: You can't just have one game plan or you got to have multiple You know what happened? If that one game plan don't work, then what you're gonna do. You're gonna be stuck in that one mold trying to do the same thing that ain't been working for the last team round. Then you're gonna be desperate, banking on a knockout, swinging for the fences. And that's how people get hurt.
Speaker 1: When you say you fixed fix your problems? What problems did you fix after the game?
Speaker 4: Boll I don't know.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 4: I ain't giving you too much.
Speaker 1: What do you do? You do you feel like that was a knockdown.
Speaker 4: No, I don't. I feel as if you pushed me as you as you can see. You know, as soon as the ref said a fight, I step right to him. You know he's very strong, very strong, explosive, good fighter, technical. You know that's a fight that you could say. I wasn't listening to my my coaches in my corner, and I was more emotional in that fight because I felt as if I had something to prove a I went in there looking for the knockout. So I didn't want to box. I don't want to use my skills. I just want to, you know, fight, And that's what happens when you go in there and fight the wrong fight.
Speaker 2: But what's gonna stop you from doing that at this time?
Speaker 3: You can't do that again because you want because I know you want to prove yourself.
Speaker 2: I know you want to knock knock hell out.
Speaker 1: You can't. He's big, He's naturally bigger than you.
Speaker 4: He's strong, he's the big guy. He's the big bad wolf. I didn't heard it all. He's strong, he's this, he's that, he's this that. So can he get hurt?
Speaker 1: Hen you're the man.
Speaker 4: So what's going to stop him from banging with me?
Speaker 1: I'm not a culture in your corner, but I wouldn't ask, I wouldn't suggest you bang with him.
Speaker 4: Why I think?
Speaker 2: I think it's trying to say it's not as powerful to what you're trying to say. What you're trying to say, you're trying to say, he's not as power.
Speaker 4: Think he's as.
Speaker 1: Strong as clearly check us. To be clear, Terrence Prophet is amazing.
Speaker 2: We know that what he does.
Speaker 4: What you say. What I'm saying is why do you view that? And how do you know?
Speaker 1: I don't what makes you?
Speaker 4: What makes you? What makes you think that?
Speaker 1: Probably the size? Yeah, I don't know if you can hurt him, is what I'm saying. I've seen you hurt people before. I don't know if you can hurt somebody.
Speaker 4: Besides, did he get hurt his last fight?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Do you think I hear harder than his last opponent? Yes? Okay, case close.
Speaker 1: But you got to get to.
Speaker 3: Him though, So you're saying this man can't get to him.
Speaker 2: Is that what you say?
Speaker 1: I'm just saying you got to get to him. You got to get in there to do it.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, getting in there is the get between the ropes, right, and we're in there, right, it's gonna be a great fight.
Speaker 3: So when you speak to people like that, right, what stops you from saying you're not getting emotion?
Speaker 2: Be like, you know what, trying something.
Speaker 3: To because obviously there's a lot of people like Charlottage that that feels like.
Speaker 1: That's not no, it's not. It's not act like he's an underdog.
Speaker 2: He is kind of an underdog. You're talking.
Speaker 1: I think it's about I think people think it could go either way. This is this my man ran as a great boxing guy. He says, you win, no problem. My bother says, you win, no problem either. The bigs I've been having since the fights.
Speaker 2: But charloat many don't feel that way.
Speaker 4: Listen, that's his opinion. You know, when people have an opinion, it's like, so everybody got one.
Speaker 2: That is true, That is absolutely true.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about how you would deal with a loss in case it does happen?
Speaker 4: No, I don't. I don't think about things like that. You know, my mind is just clear right now. A things happen, they happen, you know, but we're preparing for the victory. That's it. You know all you're gonna lose.
Speaker 2: I don't think what's wrong with y'all gonna ask have you prepared for a loss of you?
Speaker 1: What kind of That's the same question that you kind of asked, what the having the zero record?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: You know, some people lose, some people don't. So if you do lose, have you thought about how you prepare for that?
Speaker 4: We don't prepare for that.
Speaker 3: Now, for a young boxer out there, or or somebody that doesn't know, what is your daily routine and training?
Speaker 2: What does that deal with?
Speaker 3: Because most people just see the finished product, right they see y'all boxing, They don't know how much training it actually takes.
Speaker 2: So what is it? A day by day with with Terrence Craft?
Speaker 4: Look like work work, work, work, work work. What time you get up It depends. Sometimes we get up at five, sometimes we get up at six.
Speaker 2: You want you ride bikes, you go straight to the gym, you box?
Speaker 4: We do we do it all, We do it all. It depends on the day, depends on how my body feeling, depends on the weather, depends on a lot of things that I can't control. So long as we getting the work done, that's all that matter.
Speaker 3: Another question most people ask is when it comes to having sex before the fight, Oh my god, how long do you.
Speaker 2: Abstain from having sex?
Speaker 3: Everybody keep because it's it's people always want to know that man.
Speaker 1: And it ain't no women asking me that you ever think that's crazy? Right exactly.
Speaker 4: On me. Hey listen, man, I don't. I don't. I don't know about other people, but it relaxes me. And that's something that I've been doing my whole career.
Speaker 2: So you ain't umber staining that.
Speaker 4: It is what it is. It is what it is. I think it's a well me personally. I know it's a myth, you know, but I wouldn't tell anybody else to go out there and try to be like Terrence Crawford because they heard Terrence Crawford say, oh man, you can have sex and they don't do nothing to you. I'm just saying for me, it never affected.
Speaker 1: Me regardless of how this fight goes. Would you would you ever give somebody like like Boots the shot and right a young boy?
Speaker 4: Listen, listen, I'm open for for all of them. Like I said, I never turned down to fight in my whole career, never dug dodged, walked away and ran from nobody, every person that the media have put and said, Terrence, you need to fight him, or Terrence, he's chasing you. I fought him. If you can go back to when I thought Darry Jean, when he was talking crazy to me and Hank Lundy, when everybody was saying, Oh, you need to fight Hank, you need to do this, you need to do that. You know I didn't fought them all.
Speaker 1: What would be the benefit of a OG like you giving somebody like a boots of.
Speaker 4: Shot just just to satisfy the fans. That's it, because he's an up and comer. He doesn't have anything to offer, nothing at all. But it was just be some for you guys, just an exciting fight.
Speaker 1: Would you ever fight Yugus again and the pros just to do it for?
Speaker 4: What? Where would I be getting out of that right now? At this at this stage of my career, I'm looking for things that benefit me. When I fought Ugus, he was undefeated, he was top contender, Olympian, he had all the accolades. After I beat him, everybody was slandering them all. He Green machine. He did see that. He fight a guy that nobody knows just because you didn't know him. That don't mean that he wasn't a good fighter. Just because you don't know him, that doesn't mean that you know. He deserved to be where he was because he was my mandatory. It's like when I just fought Avenetian. He was ranked number six in the division, but everybody was mad that I took that fight because things wasn't right with the aerol spence and my negotiation. So people is mad. I can't get mad. Things didn't happen for a reason. But now we hear everybody got to fight that they wanted, and July twenty nine, we're gonna go out there and put on the show.
Speaker 1: Ear that fight. I think I think it was against you. He did. He did get hurt a little bit, but he still stopped him in the tenth round, so you could still hurt him, still get stopped. I'm just saying. I'm just saying, I look forward. I can't wait to see it. Though.
Speaker 4: You're gonna be there.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not gonna be there.
Speaker 4: Come on, man, you did all that talking years ago and you ain't gonna be there.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be watching it from home. I know how you guys from home Omaha, get down. I want to watch the fighting piece, you know.
Speaker 3: But we appreciate you for joys w what's the last time I get a civilian shut up right now?
Speaker 4: Nah? No, we don't do that. We don't do that.
Speaker 1: Why are you doing that? Man? Just making sure all respect for terrors, craw We're just talking boxing. It's just like picking up picking a sporting event. It is picking up picking the winner that.
Speaker 2: You said, you you know, I'm not sure if he could bang how heartykids. I just want to know.
Speaker 1: I said, there's probably ten other people you can name I'll pick but over. But it's it's a different type of animal. That's all I'm saying. Do you rise to the level of your competition?
Speaker 4: Do I Have you watched my career? Absolutely, that's your answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, one time to lose jab just shut up, all right. It's Terence Crawford.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, don't forget to tune in and get your paper view July twenty ninth, And we appreciate you for joining.
Speaker 1: Us one because you think about stuff like pay per view numbers that you can't I can't.
Speaker 4: That's all our control. You know. You got the people that have the the website to steal the fights and stuff like that, and stuff that you can't control. You just go in there and focus on things that you can control.
Speaker 1: Because I feel like that's become a thing now, Like that's become a stat that people brag about now, fighters like who cares well if your money your pockets of course?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well listen, you know, the bigger than numbers, the bigger, you know, you become. That's why Floyd was money made Weather because of the numbers that he was producing. That's why everybody wanted to fight him. That's why every time he stepped foot in the ring, he demanded what he demanded because he knew what he was gonna draw. So yeah, absolutely, all right, Well there you have.
Speaker 2: It is Terrence Crawl for good luck on your fight. July twenty ninth. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning,