Speaker 1: Lute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to Software Radio, Special Operations, Military Nails and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on.
Speaker 3: This is rad with another awesome episode of soft Reap Radio and I want to welcome you, my listener, to the show. But first I have to let you know that in order for us to keep the fireplace on, the lights on me on this podcast, I have a merch store and it's at softwap dot com. Just go software dot com, check out the merch store, download the app. And then also we have a book club which is soft dot com Forward Slash Book hyphen Club. Go check that out and roll in the book club. Get something awesome sent to you, and just start reading something you know it'll be great, especially when you start collecting all your books put them behind your podcast. Now we have a background. Now today I have a special guest to talk with you about. We're gonna talk about explosives, we're gonna talk about real estate investment, and we're going to talk about running a podcast and dealing with tragedy.
Speaker 2: And my guest today is.
Speaker 3: Aaron Hale of the Aaron Hale Podcast, former Explosive Ordnance disposal technician.
Speaker 2: You know Erin real quick? Was that Army Navy.
Speaker 4: I started in the Navy, switched over to the Army. I jumped ship, so to speak.
Speaker 3: And with that, I would like to welcome my awesome guest, Aaron Hale to the show. Welcome Erin.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a pleasure. Okay.
Speaker 3: For those that don't know, Erin has a hard time visually seeing, so he hears me, he hears us. But what I see is I see his jackalope above his door or his window. What is that animal with those horns up there? Can you explain that to me real quick?
Speaker 4: That is a black buck antelope. I actually went hunting after losing my eyes sight. I don't know if you're familiar with the boot campaign, but uh, Johnny, Joey Jones and I and a few other wounded veterans went out to an exotic range and in south of Texas, south of San Antonio, and it was pretty cool. It was a former Army sniper, former EOD tech and one of the you know, the the guys on the range and we all three went out and it was a it was a team effort to get the redical on that that animal. But I actually shot the smallest animal that week of all the other uh you know, you know, wounded and from the longest distance, so.
Speaker 2: You had to aim small miss small.
Speaker 3: Like Bill Gibson talks about patriot and your vision is really gone, right, you're not able to see you're being team effort to put the radical on the target.
Speaker 4: Right, that's right. These aren't prosthetic eyes. I no longer have my originals. These there are supposed to be exact duplicates. The prostitutes that painted them apparently did a pretty good job because people common and how good look in my eyes are?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I know you are you know I'm looking right at you. I got obef It's all good.
Speaker 3: And I would say that, you know, how old were you when you decided to join the military. What was it that like just said, hey, this is for me.
Speaker 4: And not as patriotic a story as most or some. It was more of a active necessity, a pivot point and transition point in my life. I wasn't very ambitious. I grew up in kind of a you know, cushy, happy, pleasant, you know, childhood, and I didn't have a whole lot of work, ethic and ambition. And when I got to college, everybody who knew how to work hard quickly passed me by, and I pretty much found myself out of my butt really quickly, and it was a very embarrassing time. I gained a lot of weight from too many liquid calories, and I needed to find a path. I needed to grow as a person, mature, and the military offered that growth opportunity to become a better man and to get that tuition back I just wasted. So I joined the Navy. I wanted to see the world. I love to travel. I decided then that I would be I would go to culinary school because I'd love to cook. My whole family is a very creative, artistic family. My creative spark was in the kitchen. So I decided I wanted to join the Navy as a cook, knowing full well that was not a glamorous job, but at least I had to get some OJT while I was doing my four and then getting out and going to going to school. Of course, eight years later, I'm still in the Navy, and you know, of course, plans change.
Speaker 3: Cooking in the Navy, for like was there specific like, you know, the captain has to have a specific meal, and you got that for him specifically? Is it like is he eat just what's in the galley?
Speaker 2: Tell me?
Speaker 4: You know, I do make decisions based I like Colin Powell's forty seventy rule. You get it about you know, you need about forty to seventy percent of the information to make a decision. Me I was just barely on that forty percent line and just said I just waited all the different options, and I said, navies for me, I would be a Navy cook. That's good enough, let's go. Little did I know that at the time, cooks were considered in the Navy much like hotel restaurant management on the civilian side. So I got sure duty in Naples, Italy on my first duty station, and the first thing I asked was where am I going to be cooking? And I said, oh, no, no, no, you're working the barracks. In fact, because you're the new guy, you're gonna be working the night clerk job at the front desk. Literally, So you know, it was definitely not what I was expecting. But you know, I worked my way up to the maintenance manager for the b e q so I was. I was. I was escorting the Italian local National public Works guys. So all day long I was going in there and helping them change light bulbs and stuff, and I'm just pointing around going come to cityha, coming city. How do you say that? How do you say that? I was learning Italian from is roughnecks. It was pretty pretty funny when you travel around to you on your leave time to Florence or Sicily and trying to speak a Napolitan from you know, construction worker.
Speaker 2: Right who's teaching you slaying and You're just like They're like Belice.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, it's definitely not book Italian, and it definitely definitely learned the stuff that doesn't come in the books.
Speaker 3: First, now, how did you go from visiting Florence and putting in light bulbs to you know, now I have transition from the cook that I thought I was going to be, you know, and then now I'm an eod. You know what was this transition that happened to you?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: It was just first I'm joined in a time of Peace nineteen ninety nine and I spent the four years in Italy two at the Bachelor Quarters and then actually a PCs only forty five minutes away to guy to Italy, where I then got flag duty. I was cooked for the three star, the commander of the sixth Fleet, so it was actually doing that. He's cooking. Yeah, it was definitely not a hardship dirty, but it was actually cooking. And when that ship was import was pretty cool because they only wanted to eat breakfast and lunch and then it's important. They didn't want to stay any later. Now that did, I and the Admiral went and had dinner around the economy. So by two in the afternoon, I had already hung on my uniform after cleaning up lunch, and I became an Italian. I went out there and experienced in Italy and Europe and it was fantastic. But like I said, hardship duty was not. And I just then then all of a sudden, we found ourselves in two wars.
Speaker 2: That's right now eleven Iraq Afghanistan starting to kick off. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So by three h four we were doing our figure rates in our box imaginary box out in the Mediterranean as the flagship. But in everybody's everybody has a job to do in the military and everybody's job is important. I was still you know, my my job is important. But I was watching I was watching this these operations on television, and I was hearing about it, you know in the you know, the mess halls and the galleries and that kind of stuff. So I knew that in the previous four years that I gained those internal values, the hard work, ethic, the pride and a job well done. And I'd also gained that love for service to you know, the external values, you know, be a great teammate. And so I was came to that point where I was like, my, my, my talents, my abilities were being put to their their best use here in you know, cooking for the Navy. So I volunteered to deployed Afghanistan and I was of course running an ARMYTL hall this time for the hundreds of NATO troops IA troops out in Farah, Afghanistan. But that that's when I met some EOD techs. This is O six O seven and it was just EO D everything about it, the tight knit brotherhood, you know, technical aspect of it, blowing stuff up, but the fact that there were first responders on the battlefield, saving lives and I tell people that, you know, when I get my first confirmed kill with an egg roll, I started, I decided want to start saving wise instead. But but that's so, that's how it went. I was I was a cooking Afghanistan. I wanted to go and I work west through and through the Navy to go from culinary specialists to eot etech, and the quickly denied me. They just said that we don't take cooks into the EU program.
Speaker 3: Also, they've not seen under Siege, the movie with Steven Seagal where he is the cook. I mean, do they not know that he's in the galley just like throwing knives at the dartboard really good with a knife. You say, no, cook, Yeah, this is not a cook, Tommy Lee Jones, this is not a cook.
Speaker 2: Who is this guy? Bro? That's amazing.
Speaker 3: So you're so you go from cooking for three stars and admirals, and then you go to Afghanistan and now you're cooking for the army and other ISAF forces who are coming through your you know, your chow haul, and I'm sure they're grateful for every every warm, yummy morsel that they could shove in their mouth and the extra little scoopy put on. I'm sure they're grateful our listener, probably eight in your chow hall.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 4: That was That was pretty interesting too because when I got out to Farrah and I was cooking out there, there was actually a couple platoons of Italian special forces, so I got to practice the lingo I've learned in Italy out in Afghanistah.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. They probably loved.
Speaker 4: It, you know, I wasn't the problem we had. I was. It was me and another navy cook and about nine local national Afghans helping me in the kitchen. And there's an old old timer named Aga and he'd been you know, working for foreign national you know, like four and he'd actually been a nurse at one time in an Italian hospital in Harat, so he knew a little bit of Italian, but he only knew the curse words, because of course that's all anybody ever learns, right, So this old Afghan dude is like cursing in Italian as the Italian's come through and they're coming to me going can you tell him to shut up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So yeah, that was very funny.
Speaker 5: No no, no, no, no, not those Italian words, man, No, don't say that right now, Cheech and Chong, No, not right now, you don't say that word right now.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: He's like, hey, no, no, no, no, bro. So you're in Afghanistan cooking. The EOD still gets denied. How did you finally get EOD to pull you in? How'd you finally get with those that crew?
Speaker 4: Well, that was it was after the deployment. I came back and I was on the station in Newport, Rhode Island, and my contract was coming up, so it was either realistic it out and the Navy. Navy already told me they were going to let me in the EOD program. Everything can be waivered what he wants to tell you, but they really didn't want me to go anywhere. My rank and rates were undermanned. I wasn't even going to get promoted. So I walked. I went over to the Armored recruiter, just handed in my my service records. I'm gonna go with YODI. They said welcome, and soon it was changing uniforms and changing jobs.
Speaker 3: So you didn't have to go through a boot camp again. When you crossed from the Navy to the Army.
Speaker 4: They had this pilot program they were doing UH for sil called the warrior transition courses like a for prior service boot camp, all of the knowledge based stuff, none of the you know dogma, you know, none of the indoctrination type thing. So what's the the digital sergeant's going to do is say drop you drop I I'll rank you but.
Speaker 2: Respectfully.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's that's sort of you know, like you know, basic rifle and stuff to have a thrown grenade, orienteering, you know, len lavigation, that kind of stuff. And then straight from there it was to EOD training. So it's kind of funny. Even though I didn't get that boot camp break you down and turn you into a soldier thing, it was almost like I was infiltrating as a sailor in a Navy uniformed but I got the school and I was doing Navy cadence at the Army detachment, and the first sergeant was so bad, so pissed.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 4: The school. The school was tough. It was a high attrition rate at a lot of knowledge based stuff. There's a test every two to three days and you got to get a minimum minimum of eighty five on every single test or it's a failure. And some of the the hits some of the questions, the practicals and the rent and test their sixty point heads.
Speaker 2: Like what's a question?
Speaker 3: Can you give me like one random question that you can think of that you remember it all that it asked you.
Speaker 4: Well, it's everything is you imagine what eod's responsibility. I know there's bullets to nuclear weapons. So there are all sorts of different divisions. You start from the basics like basic circuitry and physics. What goes into the physics of fuse activation?
Speaker 3: You know, setback like why does it combust and like why does the combustion combust and what makes the combustion's combustion combustion? And like the whole thing all the way down to the basic strike the match of like the fuse right, Like you're learning it all the way.
Speaker 4: Imagine like your basic forty mike mic round right, what does yeah, what does it take to actually activate that? How many times does it have to spits? How many rotations? That's right? So it starts with physics, right, there's questions like Newton's first law and all sorts of stuff, and then it graduates up to nomenclature and or identification. Order's identification all the way up to biochemical you know, counter terrorism, weapons of mass destruction, detecting radiation, you know, getting in hasmat suits and doing decontamination setups. So it's there's.
Speaker 3: So many tests, so many questions. You're totally just such a it's constantly just keeping your mind the gym for the job.
Speaker 2: That's what they're doing. They're just like, hey, here another test.
Speaker 4: It's just so much, it's so high paced. It's so high paced that you kind of you know, you memorize what you need to memorize, you understand it well enough, and then you take the test, kind of dump the major and you get rid of for the next.
Speaker 3: One, right, and I hope to retain the red or blue wire Along the way, you're like, okay, was that the red or blue? Did you ever stare at that situation and just be like what am I going to snip here? Or is that just is that too mcguy or mcgrub for me?
Speaker 4: When would I sleep? Well, everything almost everything there is sensitive, so you can't take anything home and study so close to business then we'd actually have study hall, So go to go to school, then at the end of the day study hall and then yes, yeah, you know, did leave all the materials there and eat relaxed, work out whatever, and then you're so exhausted you just kind of pass out. And then next day start all over again.
Speaker 2: And just repeat.
Speaker 3: What was one of the hardest aspects that you didn't expect and what was one of the easier aspects that you thought would be harder when you went into EOD. For our listener, that might be thinking, well.
Speaker 4: The school specifically, I thought it was going to be a lot more physical, and I was surprised. Just to get into the school, you have to take a bomb suit, and a chem suit has a certain test and you have to be physically fit for it, and you have to stay physically fit to be in the field. However, the bomb suit test is less about the physical fitness as it is about how you can keep your head while under physical exertion. So you get in the bomb sert and you do, they smoke you, and you just they just get spent over the next forty five minutes. But during that time they're all also asking you memory questions, they are observation questions, the critical thinking skills, and that's the test. And also it's about not quitting. So the first thing they did was have me pick up it's like a one five five round and just follow them around as we went up and downstairs around the parking lot. And I couldn't put it over my shoulder. I had to carry it like this, and it would I would just start burning, my arms start burning, and then it was my arms just start melting until it's on my wrists and then I'm just holding it against my thighs and then it's just sliding and sliding down my leg until he said, do not let that hit the you know, hit the ground. And finally we get to the point where it's resting on my toes and I can't get it back up, and he says, all right, you're done. I said, no, no, I can get this thing back up. No, you're done. I can get it back up, he said, Sergeant Hail. The test was to see if you didn't quit. And you didn't, so you're fine, let's move on.
Speaker 2: In that this is a trick. You're like, this is good.
Speaker 4: But then it was then it was, you know, like I said, the real surprise was just how much information you had to learn and how quickly you had to learn. It's a very difficult school to go through. But I was surprised about the level of knowledge based versus the physical fitness stuff and.
Speaker 2: Good insight, you know.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure that it just gets it gets more and more, you know, in depth, as you fall more and more down the rabbit hole of the EOD program. You know, is it really called the demon suit, the apparatus that you put on that whole bomb suit?
Speaker 2: Do you guys? Is it called the demon suit? Or is am I just hearing that on the internet?
Speaker 4: The Demon suit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've heard it called the Demon suit in a Robot Chicken Car tune about EOD and he's he's like, no, we wear the Demon suit.
Speaker 2: And then the guy wants to drive the robot.
Speaker 3: He's like, I did not just spend my entire career to drive this robot just to let some random guy drive my robot.
Speaker 4: I missed that episode.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to check it out. It's like, can I drive the robot? No, you cannot drive the robot.
Speaker 3: I spent all this years at training and skill set to drive the robot. You cannot just drive the robot.
Speaker 4: That's hilarious. Oh, I've.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay.
Speaker 4: I never really liked getting into it. I mean you got a Yeah, we would have contestancy how fast my team could get me suited up. And we you know, that's one of the competitions against Team first team because it's it's definitely not a single person suit up thing. You need your team to get you in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're getting zipped up and like strapped up and like you're getting yoke put around your neck and you're getting the helmet slapped.
Speaker 2: Down on your head and.
Speaker 3: Right you're climbing into it. Lifted it up for you. You've had Kevlard Deiper Juggernaut exactly.
Speaker 4: After months of MRI. Is you need that thing?
Speaker 2: Oh bro?
Speaker 3: Especially coming from a chef who's now got to eat mrs and live in the quote unquote demon bomb suit.
Speaker 4: That's new to me, but it's a good name.
Speaker 2: Now, let's just get to what happened.
Speaker 3: You know, how come you know you've lost your site and you know a lot of the injuries that you sustained. You know we've talked about. You have such a good smile on your face and such a great positive attitude and you decided to serve the country and even go further once you know, it really spun off at nine to eleven and you just felt the call to serve.
Speaker 2: More join the army.
Speaker 3: I know you talk a lot on your podcast, and it's the Aaron Hale Podcast and you can find it on Spotify, Apple and everywhere, and we'll have it typed out in the dissertation on the website at SOFTWAREP for my listeners. So you should go check out Aaron's you know podcast, read about how he's you know, trying to always just be in a positive light. That's what I was getting from just some of the you know things that I've caught off your webs since I've met you now or last week or so, just looking you up.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll tell you what I do attribute the unitier to credit for your different things, one being the military training all sorts of different reasons, military experience. It helps me get through post military everything from just the saying, you know, embrace the suck, to things my experiences with EUD for example, you know, each of our three man team would have this quad con or tricon full of tools for all of those scenarios I just talked about. We'd have asthmat decontamination sent you know sets power tools and robots and bombs.
Speaker 2: Finger counters probably, And then.
Speaker 4: We get on deployment and we have that gerve, the armored truck, and you can only fit so many tools, so you have to do a bit of a trayage, and you got to leave some behind. So you just figure on you just bring what you'd most likely use when you got to leave some tools behind. And then Afghanistan, most of our missions were dismounted. Yeah, there's goat trails. You can't bring a vehicle of any size on there. So it was what tools can I and should I pack on my back? And when you consider you know, standard battle rattle, water, food and all the other necessities then EU and eat tools, it gets pretty heavy. We're doing the same job that we were required to do, whether we have our quod con, our truck, our rucksack, and whatever we encounter. Who's the general Mattis said in his book called Sign Chaos. Things being hard, we're never a good excuse for mission failure. So we can't use the excuse that I didn't have the right tool. I still got to do the job. So I'm doing the same mission with a block ACA for a spool of rope. Maybe you know, a grappline hook or something, and we'll have like a man portable robot. But just now I just looked at it. I left a couple of tools behind. I still have a mission I had, I still have jobs. I'm I'm a soldier, sergeant, father, son, I have all these roles and responsibilities. So now that's part of the reason I started the Point of Impact podcast. And you know, I was the incident in particular. It was eight months into a twelve month deployment. This was for what year was this? This was two eleven, my second as an EOD tech, my third deployment in total, and first time as a team leader, so the one that actually gets in the bomb suit and the highest ranking guy on the team. So I'm the one that makes that that long walk. And I'd just gotten back from my two weeks of UR and R backstate side, and still had the luggage in the back of the truck, and my team had just picked me up from the airfield and we were heading back to our command out post and see a CHOI in the array district of the Kinderheart Prophet Province, And I asked one of the turps, We'll just see a Choy meeting. He says, I think it means cemetery. We're in the we're in the tombstone and yeah, and it kind of felt like that Afghanistan jumped into a convoy. It's a just a supply supply convoy. We weren't on mission or anything, just heading back to Rio, and they called back to us from you know, the the vehicle and said we had to have something inside of the road and wanted us to get to work on it. So I told us they know, the fluggage off the robot, and the robot out of the truck and it got the work. We found the same thing we've been finding the entire deployment. There was pressure plate, oil jug h and me and nine bold battery. So the robot took care of the pressure plate, but it couldn't get the jug out of the hard pack. I wanted to get some evidence so we could set it up and try to get left of the bang on the timeline, you know, try to get some of these people before they could put more of them down right trails hot and so you're on it. I jumped out and it was cared. It was a standard battle routtle because we'd already had the thing just dismantled. We didn't I didn't need to get into the bomb soup, and I started making my approach about twenty meters or so from it is when my foot found the secondary device. Oh, I'm not sure how the blast I don't know how it happened, but it almost completely missed my entire body except for my head, A little peppering on my leg, a piece of a splinter from the pressure plate in my hand. But the blast like punted me in the air by hitting me in the head, and I took both my eyes and cracked my skull. I was leaking spinal fluid right out my nose. A piece of the metal detector actually hit my jawlline and ran along it and stopped just a few millimeters from my carotid dottery and about enough plastic. The doctor said to make a gatorade bottle cap or you know that that was just in my neck and the lights had done out. All had been really wrong. I'd landed on my knees and elbows, but I was still awake. I don't know if I'm lucid, but I was awake, and the first and I thought that my helmet had been pushed over my face.
Speaker 2: Your face.
Speaker 4: So the first thing I was thinking was maybe a complex ambush, and that everybody in that convoy was probably looking right at me instead of anywhere else. And my team were doing what they were supposed to be doing, is clearing a safer out to me so the medics could get me out. I'm thinking, what's happening all around me and I need it either there might be other devices out here. So I did what I thought was the smartest thing at the time. Of course, what all had been wrong. I got up and I started. I first did the functions, check were the fingers and toes and knees and elbows. Everything seemed to be intact. So I just went to fix my helmet. Fund that it was gone. My ipro was gone, my helmet was gone, and I thought, oh man, this is really about my first Artisant's.
Speaker 2: Kind of killed me for losing that, Yeah, I really.
Speaker 4: But I got up and I started walking back towards my truck so my team wouldn't have to come out to me. Of Course, I had no idea where the truck was, and I don't know where I was going. They grabbed me and dragged me the rest of the way. Medics got me met evac. Top was in there with like fourteen minutes, and I was back on my way to the airfield. And I just came from and within forty eight hours I was in Bethesda.
Speaker 3: Immediately getting taken care of, entriaged, and the whole nine yards of like what are you're probably talking? Okay, you were just assessing your situation. You know, you knew what was happening, because man, I can only imagine your brain. Everything was still just going on. You were still thinking, like you said, was I lucid or was what? But when you went to touch a helmet and you just realize it's your face, and your guys probably saw that.
Speaker 2: I just first of all, war as hell, Okay, so damn just damn.
Speaker 3: So then what so then you get to Bethesdave Matyland and you're at Walter Reed and they've got to multiple surgeries on you. So you go through that rigamarou for are you still dealing with surgeries today?
Speaker 2: Are you pretty pretty much good?
Speaker 4: It took a few, but today I'm really gone through any surgeries in a while, the last ones being the cochlear implants. Maybe in the fusion a little more reconstructive stuff. But I had the blast and it really burnt my face and torn it up in a couple of places, and it actually fused my right eye because the glast came from my right to left and it completely took my right eye and actually fused the eyelids together. So it was doing this permanent like wink kind. And then a piece of frag had run across the bridge my nose and gashed the other eye, but they couldn't fix that anyways.
Speaker 3: So nothing, You don't even have any any light or anything out of that other eye.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 4: They again, they tried to repair it, but they just it wouldn't work. So both it actually deflated like a great yeah, And so both these now prosthetics. It took a few surgeries and grass skin grafts to actually rebuild the eyelid enough to hold a prosthetic. But the real trouble spot that's just really cosmetic. The real problem was the cracks in my skull. And then they had to take parts of my septum and patch it up, and you know, they did so, and I got out. I was actually out of want to read pretty quickly, and it was it was a rough time. But after they'd patched up my face, there was really nothing for them to do. It was a tough time for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a lot of soldiers and sailors come home and don't put on such a recovery from things like this, you know, And so I just wonder, you know, how many folks can just you know, smile. I'm sure that you get this all the time, that you're inspiring, and I'm sure you hear it three times a day when you're out and about and anybody gets the wind of anything that you had to do, it's like you're inspiring. Okay, So we know that you know that this is your platform too. Now use that light, okay, and tell these others out there that you know it's okay, like you're I think circumstances happened. I'm so sorry that that happened. You know, you you've probably chewed on it a hundred different ways. You know, Well, if it wasn't me, it would be Bill. If it wasn't Bill, it would have been me. Or however it happened, it's happened.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: You got over the yms, I'm sure, and you've moved on and We just have a huge, you know, veteran community that listens, and you know, outside of the veterans, civilian community, and a lot of people deal with post traumatic stress, and like, you know, they think life is hard, you know, Aaron.
Speaker 4: You know that one thing. It was the brotherhood, you know, it was all of those other warriors up and down the halls. I was sitting there in my bed, just like you said, doing the whole wyms what if right, and being pissed off these cave men with their you know, low tech garbage, you know, stiff they pulled out of the trash. You know, that got one up on me, and I was pissed. But there were all these other warriors and they were fighting their own battles. And they're still fighting their own battles, Walter Reid across the country. I don't have a monopoly on pain. I don't have a monopoly on pissed off. Who am I to say that mine is the worst?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Like, you don't understand what I'm going through because you know you haven't gone through what I'm going through. And that's in a sense true, but it's it's a cop out excuse for just wallowing. And I realized that everybody is still in the fight and I needed to get in the fight too. And like I said, I have all these responsibilities. This has to wear it. I just I just can't sit there and say I quit. My family, my team members, brothers and sisters and arms. They I am responsible to them and for them, and they have co ownership in my life. So if I ever decided, if I ever decided to quit, I'd have to do it. I never get a little the majority of vote by committee, you know, no, and I don't think I have the votes. So you're not allowed to quit. See that's the thing. There's just no quit.
Speaker 2: You can't to get going. You got to keep going.
Speaker 3: You got to get going, you know, because there are so many hats to wear, you know, whether it's the father hat, the neighbor hat. You know, your own self hat. You know, for your own self. You know, you may have just enough for yourself out there, you know, and wear that hat well, you know, and just make the best you can with yourself now, you know, like you said, like Aaron said, everybody has their own struggles. Everybody gets in and gets out of the military. They I've noticed that everybody donates themselves one hundred percent able body and healthiest as possibly can be from like sports and athletic departments and high schools.
Speaker 2: To come home to not being that, you know, and so you know.
Speaker 4: I also needed them, not just to get me out of my funk, but I need to lean on them, you know. For the example, I needed to find you, find out how they were doing this about if I was going to be blind for the rest of my life. I decided then there, I was going to be the best damn blind me I could be. But how do that? And first was what kind of attitude are these you know, these warriors displaying. But it was after Walter read I went to the blind Rehabilitation Center at the VA and Augusta, Georgia, and I started learning how to do the cane and the accessible tech and all that. But I was also as soon as I learned how to use the screen rader on the computer, I was. I was on, you know, on the Internet, searching for blind plus whatever anything ran I found a couple of names kept A few names kept popping out, like Eric weind Mare his first blind person to climb Mount Everest, and Lonnie Bedwell is actually a fellow Navy veteran. But he's the first blind person to kayak the entire Grand Canyon, and I just talked to him this week.
Speaker 2: He legit, that's legit.
Speaker 4: He's also the only first blind person to kayak the Grand Canyon and he just came down from climbing Mount Everest. So if these people can do that, I can get off my butt you I can do something. In fact, I saught these guys out. I went climbing with Eric, I went kayaking with Lonnie. I talked to this active duty blind ranger, Ivan Castro, who was working at Special Operations recruiting brands at Bragg. And this guy I get out of call with him and he talks about how he always makes it a point every every year to run the Air Force Marathon, the Army ten miler, and the Marine Corps Marathon. And I thought, oh, that sounds really patriotic and kind of cool. So I did the same. I registered for all three of those. Somehow I got talked into a couple other marathons, and within I was I was registered for four marathons, a ten miler. All was in the span of four months, and I never run anything longer than a ten k in my life. So that's kind of how I started my blind guide career. And you know, I was getting ready for the mountains and I was doing kayaking, I was going hunting, and I started speaking. They actually sent me to the eot E school I started, I was, I was instructing for a while, and I was I was making the best of it.
Speaker 2: So they could still use you.
Speaker 3: Right, Like you said, there was an active duty blind ranger who was at like probably like a process of still active duty. Right, they were still using him. They're still using your mindset to come in and teach EOD courses, right exactly.
Speaker 4: They still I couldn't do the job anymore. They don't even like, uh, you know, a color blind in EO D.
Speaker 2: Red wire, green wire, green wire, blue wire.
Speaker 4: So I could go to the schoolhouse and I could teach IDs, I could teach best practices, lessons learned on the battlefield and that kind of thing. So I did that for about a year and a half. And you know, the medboard process is a long long time. But when it came time to actually make a decision, I could have requested to do a cod or continuation of active duty service, but I didn't have anything more to prove in uniform, and I was. I actually I found found something I could I could live for out side of service. And also it was that that that pain of nostalgia being so close to the job that I could no longer do. I still love being in the community. I'm still still I lived just down the road from the schoolhouse, and I'm still active in the community. But I didn't have anything left to prove to anybody else, and especially not to myself. So I retired. I took the medical retirement. But these all these things were going on. It was about four years after the blast, and that's when a complication occurred. That crack in my skull. It apparently hadn't.
Speaker 2: Across the bridge at your nose right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that it had been patched, but apparently not well enough, because it was still a small leak of that spinal fluid and and leak you know, a path out as path in. And I contracted back to amaningitis, and I was, I was put me right back in the hospital. It nearly killed me, but in the process the bacteria had still one what was left in my hearing that the blast hadn't taken. So I was I was going deaf in days, And when the doctor was breaking the news to me, I said, Doc, you're telling me I'm gonna be totally blind and totally deaf. Are you telling me I'm never gonna have to pretend to pay attention ever again? Silver line and everything because my mom was girlfriend at the time in the room. And I don't know, it's probably the hearing, but I didn't hear them laugh.
Speaker 3: No, they just h yeah, they're you know, at caregivers. Okay, girlfriend, mom loving you, you know, being there for you.
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Is that how it was when you got home you had Was it mom home who helped you kind of like get back to yourself?
Speaker 2: Was it your mom?
Speaker 4: No? What was wrong?
Speaker 2: Like? Did you have someone home waiting for you? Was your girlfriend the same girlfriend from when you got injured or did you meet her after the injury.
Speaker 4: I was married before the injury and divorced. Divorced between the injury and the illness. The girlfriend I had known for a long time. In fact, we'd known each other since childhood. Our mothers were both childhood and friends. So we kind of struck up a conversation and we'd had just a fantastic h first, Yeah, she didn't know what she was getting empty.
Speaker 2: No, that's what I was wondering, you know.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm saying a caregiver, you know, or someone who has you know, just some sweet empathy, that's all.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 4: But she was an absolute godsend during this illness because now not only had I lost my hearing, but it also took that inner ear sense of balance, the internal gyro, my vestibular balance, so I couldn't get much treadmill. I couldn't even walk and came home in a wheelchair. I'm sitting there at my breakfast bar on the counter in my kitchen, feeling sorry for myself again. You know, It's like it was like for four years I was telling people about this strength to struggle, you know, triumph over tragedy, and it was like God had just said, well, prove it, no, put put your money where you're about this, Let's do it again. When when has this guy paid his dues? When is one enough enough for one guy?
Speaker 2: You know? Right?
Speaker 4: But you know I had my little penny party, six month pity party. But no, the truth was that after a while, just you can't Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't just hit still, and I couldn't just wallow. It's yeah, it gets boring, frankly, so I needed to get busy doing something. I did get back in my treadmill when I held on with an iron grip and I just hit the quick start button. Half a mile an hour, I was just walking, and then I would grab the trekking poles that I used to go into the mountains with just to go to the mailbox and bag. And that's how it got started. And eventually I was running a gun and now I'm training for bad Water and I'm going to run one hundred and thirty five miles across Dad Valley in about three weeks.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, you did mention in an email that you have been training for bad Water and you know, like, hey, what's going on? I was like, that's awesome. So you're gonna just keep going, man, I don't see you stopping right. And how's your real estate going? I understand that you love real estate and that you dabble with, like, you know, a little wealth management.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what I do here is and this was one of the things I also got busy with this twenty fifteen, when the meningia said, And I was waiting for the cochlear implant. It took forever, forever. I had to wait for the infection to clear up and had to wait for this. And my right ear was the first implant. It didn't work because there was more damage on that side, and then the left ear. It was over six months before I could hear another human voice. So part of the thing was I started cooking, and that was my kitchen therapy. I was just started cooking for Thanksgiving, and we invited all sorts of people. We even invited some of the students from the schoolhouse and were stranded. And I just threw all of you know that into the cooking and stopped thinking about myself. And of course I started making desserts weeks in advance, and fudge, and I want some. Michaela, my girlfriend at the time, my wife. Now, she saw two things on my face. One no, two things. One was a smile on my face she hadn't seen six months. And two the fudge was piling up. She uh started sneaking it out, like I got to be a real stealthy round of blind deaf guy. But she was giving it out, just giving it away. And people start coming back and saying, can we buy some of that from you? It's capitalist, and me said, well, of course you may, of course, And all of a sudden we had a business eodfudge dot com. So we had this funge company which actually took off. I've been on the Rachel ratio. We started TikTok, grew it to like one hundred and fifty thousand followers, as I did for a time, I was doing Aaron Hale's Coco without looking on TikTok.
Speaker 2: And cooking without looking.
Speaker 4: I don't have you to see the background, my apron, my tactical, I do see ago apron. And so I was. We were. We were confectioners, chocolateers, and then we started earning, you know, we started making money out of it, and we wanted to put this money into something, an asset that would you know, so we didn't have to work cook fudge all day long. And we started buying real estate. And what we did was we'd find some some busted homes, so we need some TLC. We'd fix them up. We'd do short term rentals, and we'd refinance out of borrowed money from private passive investors. So people wanted to invest in real estate but didn't want to lift a hammer or deal with tenants. Our guests. We did, we'd do all the work. And a lot of these investors are fellow military members. And what we do is we, you know, we give them a good return, double digit returns to let us use their money to fix up these homes. We refinanced into a more conventional loan, pay them back with their interest, and then we have a cash flowing asset that we manage. It's fantastic and the great thing about it is that we we turn you know, I saw, you know, these homes that would otherwise in the neighborhood. We fixed up the neighborhood. We increase, increase property values, wet we grow our investors and bank accounts as as well as ours, right, and that's a lot of the It was one of the big reasons I started the podcast Point of Impact with Aaron Hill is because this is something. It's also something this real estate model is something everybody, anybody can do and you can be as as active or passive as you want to. Whenever anybody says, you know, investing in real estate, I know what a lot of people think of is I don't want to be a landlord.
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 4: You don't have to. I'm not a landlord. I own long term and short term rentals. But I'm not a landlord. I'm an owner. I'm an investor. I don't Almost all of my involvement is right here at my desk and on my computer and on the phone. So I love it. I want to share it. I also want to share other things, my mindset, how I get through these difficult parts, how I find answers, and you know, how I say and try to stay fit and all sorts of things. How if I can live my best life so I can make the greatest impact in my world.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a good legacy that you would like to, you know, leave with the world.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just put it that way. I let say your community, but your.
Speaker 3: Community is now worldwide because you know, it's point of impact with Aaron Hale, it's it's a rated podcast. You're out there, put it out there, so you know, first of all, congratulations on moralizing yourself that way. Long when we're gone, this conversation will be replayed. I just tell my kids play a Facebook at my funeral and you'll see all the pictures there you go, just hit play on all the social media's probably won't even run over the same image twice. So I mean, you know, you know, with that said, putting yourself out there, you know, trying to make a good wake with your boat for others to like, you know, surf on or wakeboard on. And and you're the big ship making that wake. That's what it is, right, And you're the commander of your entire organization. It's you, It's Commander Aaron Hale, you know.
Speaker 4: And it's like invictus. I love that. I want to get that tattooed on my chest backwards so I can raid it. If I had eyes in the back of your head, you could have them account in my face.
Speaker 2: You can put wherever you want. It's right, it is.
Speaker 4: It's true. You know, when we feel as though we're being controlled by outside external forces. Now, there are a lot of things we can't control, but when we give up the ability to control our emotions, emotions are decisions, then we are victims and there's there's no recovery until you can take your ownership of your own emotions and your own decisions. And from there, you know, external forces. You can influence them, but you can't control that. But you can control the direction of your life. You can control how your day goes and the kind of life you want to live, no matter what happens ahead. And that's what the most important thing is.
Speaker 2: I love that, No, I do. I love it. I love you too.
Speaker 3: I think you're great, and I think that I think it's cool that technology allows you to have a conversation with us due to what you've dealt with with the Cockler impact plant on your skull. Do you mind just turning your head to the side and like pointing to it so if anybody's watching this on the YouTube, they can see the whole system.
Speaker 2: It's right there.
Speaker 3: It goes into his ear like that, and then it's attached to his skull, so it's conducting right through your skull. It conducts through the skull, right sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's a literally those I don't I don't know what it looks like underneath, but it's under the skin, touched to the skull. It goes into there's a there's an implant. Of course. The external part is the processor which actually collects the audio like a hearing aid, but it doesn't amplify sound. There's nothing going into the ear canal because there's nothing, no one's listening. But it takes that digital signal and sends it to this tether this coil here, which is magnetized, and that goes right to my auditory nerve in the cochlear bone, and it sends that digital signal to my brain. And it's a lot like if it sounds a lot if you called your friend on and the friend is at at like a restaurant and they put their phone on speaker and put in the middle of the table. You pick up everything kind of a wall of sound. Everything kind of mixes together. It's always it's differently, nothing like the real thing, but it's way better than the alternative.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. One hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And I'm grateful to have you on the show today, and I know I've had your time for over an hour and we got to talking a little bit before the show, and I just think that you're great, and I'd love to have you back on the show and back and forth. And you know, in my rolodex, if you knew what I don't know, if you know what a rolodex was from back in the day I keep using that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'd love to have you back on. We could talk about.
Speaker 3: More, you know, real estate things along that line, how to how to drive more wealth into somebody's pocket. You know, I think a lot of us would like to hear more about that. And I know that you're like rad fifteen minutes into the podcast and only ten minutes left, and you get into the wealth management aspect of making us rich, make the lad too, okay, perfect, So it's point of impact with Aaron Hale who we're talking to. He is the podcast. And then do you have anything else you want to put out there, Aaron that you would like my listeners and we'll write it out in the comments down below as well so they can click on something if you have anything going on.
Speaker 4: I'll be raising money for a very special organization building homes for heroes. And when I'm running this bad water one one hundred and thirty five miles across Death Valley to the Mount Whitney Portal, and I'll be doing it for an organization that builds especially adapted homes for civili severely wounded lawyers and they give them to them mortgage free. This house man, right, now is a Building Homes for Heroes home and I want to help pay it forward as well, So building Homes for Heroes dot org. And if you follow my podcast Point of Impact and I'll be sharing more about that process and you know my training and you know the fundraiser to come perfect.
Speaker 3: And I just want to say, go check out Aaron Hale's podcast, Go subscribe. That helps us as hosts and interviewers. It really does. And if you go and just hit the notifications, don't forget to comment down below, don't forget to If it wasn't.
Speaker 2: For you, there'd be no us all of those things. You know. Whatever mister Beast.
Speaker 3: Says help us do that, we also and I'm gonna shout out mister Beast just in case he hears it, because if anybody can fund you, it would be mister Beast.
Speaker 2: Mister Beast, are you listening.
Speaker 3: But nonetheless, I want to say on behalf of Soft Rep Radio, my co host here on the screen, Aaron Hale, the guy that puts me behind the microphone, Brandon Webb, who thank you so much. Go check out his books Brandon Webb, and again check out the merch store and the book club for soft reap dot com and again, thank you so much for being here Erin.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me on this question wonderful.
Speaker 2: And with that I say peace.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Self Rep Radio