Speaker 1: Twenty sixteen. I'm experiencing the most success I've ever had in my life. But I'm realizing I'm becoming exactly what I hated you. I'm about to ruin my family the way I saw my pops ing each family. I was getting caught up in the characterture of Charlamagne and ain't who Leonard is.
Speaker 2: What moment was it, though, when you were at the height that made you say, all right, I might need to see what's going on?
Speaker 3: Ball off my wife.
Speaker 1: I'm out in the LA doing some shit I ain't got no business doing. And I remember her just saying to me, what are you doing? I'm like, I'm just in the hotel whatever. She was like, no, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: She feeling and not even about that moment. She said, what are you doing with your life? You're about to fuck around and lose your family. You're about to fuck around and lose everything. And they'd be like, yo, PC to god, let me tell y'all something. Calling out rappers that brings you some smoke, you're definitely gonna.
Speaker 3: Hit his ceiling.
Speaker 1: Calling out politicians is a way different ball games. I ain't talking about no entertainers. I'm talking about real life. I tell you a story. It's like, yo, I remember one time my little I got on the phone and one of them said, what is going on? I got the opportunity to be part of the press junkie. I'm just sitting there like, I don't know what all these people talk about. I don't know if I'm ever gonna get a chance to talk to the Minister ever again. I got questions about light Man. I was the first person boom. I hit it with two questions about light Man, and he gave these really thought provoking answers. When he goes, don't ask me any more questions. I'm gonna talk to you.
Speaker 3: Later.
Speaker 1: People always ask me what's the key to success. I always say, God, black women, and therapy. You gotta have a queen on your side. When me say, nothing makes a man feel better than a woman. Man queen with a crown, that'd be down for whatever.
Speaker 2: Welcome to us up there podcast. Another episode of the fast Grown podcast in the world. The vibration is high today. We got somebody who I studied along time. Man. I call this dude the gold of the market. He's been able to put points up a lot of y'all been able to get to the game and get in the ring and get to the bench. But this dude, he'll been putting points up, and now we see him putting more systs up than everybody. Today we got Charlamagne and God, how's it going, my loan?
Speaker 3: What's up? My brother?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: Lovely lovely?
Speaker 1: It is the privilege and the honor to be on it It's Up There podcast. I've been watching this It's Up There podcast for a minute. I love the free jewelry you give out to the marketplace at all times. This is definitely a show. I look forward to having the conversation.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate it, man, And you've you've amplified me, You've helped me. You've been a shoulder I can lean on. And I want the youngsters to know, like we lighting away with these conversations. These conversations mean so much to me and so much to the market And that's why I'm proud that sometimes, like even last night, you just hit me like, Bro, you got me inspired to have these kind of conversations that means so much to me, because that's what I really do it for. I'm like, bro, put that twenty three back on with that twenty don't you know see you know they think you got the forty five and put that twenty three back on.
Speaker 1: You know, Louis be hitting me and Loon and be like, you know, man, there's so much misinformation out here. There's so much people out here giving bad game, you know. And I was like, damn, I never to be honest with y'all, be paying no attention, right, But then when I do pay attention, I do tap it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh looing right, because everybody out.
Speaker 1: Here just saying anything, and these people that don't know any better that's on the come up, they eating it up. Like I don't have no problem giving game the people that's around me. You know, if you listen to Replace Club or brilliing it this, you might get some jewels here and there. But I never thought about like just sitting down and like just really explaining the business side and then because.
Speaker 2: That's what we need. Like and even when I told y'all yesterday on Brilliant Idiots, when I was just telling shows like bro, this is literally all some of these guys got, you see what I mean? Like they are literally at home crafting their destiny based off these conversations, and so if we allow a lot of the lines that live in the marketplace, we're effectively setting our counterparts up for failure because they're going to chase something that's not really there. Right, And I think it's important that we had a conversation. I want to dive right in. Were coming in hot Man. Yesterday we spoke about Billboard. We spoke about them releasing a press release saying that no rap or hip hop's song was it platinum.
Speaker 1: No rap album or hip hop song has hit number one in twenty twenty three. That's the first time that's happened in thirty years.
Speaker 2: Wow. And we kind of touched on it on Idiots, but I want to build on it a little more. It's so crazy because without us even reading it, we both were spot on. You was like, Yo, the afrobeat thing is the low vibration in the rap music is just starting to turn people off. And I'm saying, yo, I think the algorithm with the TikTok has stopped allowing for those stars to be overnight stars. They sending you back in the kitchen, right, And let's build on that a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Chasing algorithm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I love this conversation because it applies to just more than music, man, it applies to that next generation of media personality. I feel like everybody is chasing an algorithm instead of attempting to be the algorithm. Right, And the way that you be the algorithm is by focusing on intent over content.
Speaker 3: You know. That's something that my guy in Paris always says.
Speaker 1: He said, people forgot about an intent and they just focused on content. For me coming up, you know, in South Carolina, all I ever wanted to do was put the best content out there. Like I just wanted to be a great radio personality. That's all I wanted to do. I was learning from the people that were in position at the time, you know what I mean. So as I was finding my own way of doing things, finding my own style, you know, you could hear elements of you know, the Howard Sterns or the Wendy Williams or the Angie Martinez, like these people that I was paying attention to just by listening to online at the time.
Speaker 3: But I wasn't me yet, yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But even with that, I was still trying to produce great content because I want they were the bar For me, I listened to their interviews and I'm like, I want to.
Speaker 2: Do that, and then you gonna copy anyone copy the bar copy. That's what confuses me because without us speaking, they don't have the bar to copy.
Speaker 4: They now copy what's available.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I agree with I agree with that, but I think they are copying the bar, but they're not really digging into what the bar may be doing.
Speaker 3: That see things on the surface. I got caught up into that.
Speaker 1: Like when they out here these publications calling me to hip hop Howard Stern. I didn't even stop to think, well, what part of Howard do they like? You know that they see in me exactly?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: For me, it was just like, Okay, i'm gonna do double I'm gonna do I'm gonna do the perverted ship, I'm gonna have pawn stars in here, I'm gonna be sniffing chairs, I'm gonna be doing all of that. That wild crazy shit. That boy human, right, that low vibracio frat boy human. That goes back to what I'm talking about when we talk about these algorithms. I was chasing an algorithm instead of being an algorithm. And I think The problem with a hip hop right now is that everybody's chasing the algorithm. Everybody wants to go viral, but nobody's thinking about building something that actually has value exactly.
Speaker 2: And I think we get it confused. I've always told everybody that listens to me, they know this, but I always say, our job when we are putting out clips and when we're using YouTube or any of these social media platforms that we have no control over, we use those as a billboard like you say, or as a commercial like I say. So. In business, your whole objective is to be able to scale. To scale, you need to be able to forecasts. To forecasts, you need concrete information. There's no way to have concrete information from something like a YouTube or TikTok or Facebook. Sometimes they criticize you for corporate hustling. Instead of I don't know what, they call it something else, which I will get into it. I believe the corporate hustle allows you to forecast and scale of business. I think these youngsters have been confused. They really believe that strategic partnership is not as valuable as it truly is in the market.
Speaker 1: That's a fact, loan, and they're abandoning. They're abandoning traditional institutions for example, YouTube, TikTok, social media. You need all of that as an artist, But guess what else you need? You need radio exactly, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, and I get it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I even at times thought to myself like, damn, radio isn't important as it used to be, you know, because I feel like, you know, this is what I say in radio. When I'm in my corporate meetings, I always say, look, radio will never lead in anything ever again. Right, Because when it comes to personality, people go to podcasts. When it comes to music, people go to screaming services. When it comes to live events, people go to festivals. Right, are these experiences like marriage? Your Blige does her festival, the Roofs does do their picnic. When it comes to news, social media is always going to break news, right, But radio can be the greatest compliment, the greatest amplifier for all of those things. So when you look at these artists not charting, you know, number one on Billboard. Yeah, they may have the TikTok thing going viral, they may have all the social media followers, but that song is only going to go as far as the algorithm allows it to. And those fans online are so fickle. They might be on a song today and then be onto something else.
Speaker 3: The next day.
Speaker 1: But what this radio do. Radio will take that song and beat it in your hand. They will beat it in your head every day on the hour. So now you're not just you know, getting listened to by fickle fans online.
Speaker 3: You actually human raiding becoming a habit to people.
Speaker 1: People waking up in the morning or driving in the afternoon, they constantly hearing this record. They it programs you to actually like this record, and that's why it's called programming. So what happens with that, Now you need the artist to start making the So that's why labels have to do their job right, because labels are so busy chasing the algorithm, they're just trying to break a song instead of trying to build an artist.
Speaker 3: You sit down, you take that artist.
Speaker 1: And you sit them down and you get them you know, media training, right, You get them ready to go make these rounds through radio. Not only that these shows that radio be doing, like these concerts, Yo, you make sure that they're on these shows.
Speaker 3: Now you might have to you might have to do that for free.
Speaker 1: Right, But what does it matter, because all that's gonna do is make everything else go up.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Them numbers that you're getting paid on that festival stage, those gonna go up. It's gonna make your streams go up, you know what I mean. So it's just like you should do it all exactly.
Speaker 3: You don't abandon anything.
Speaker 1: Don't abandon social media and the internet, but don't abandon radio and those traditional out because the building starts.
Speaker 2: Exactly because in my opinion, the infrastructure is so important, right And with radio and with certain entities, they have the infrastructure, which means like with podcasting, and I hope to some of the youngsters that look up to me help them understand what's your time partnerships look like, right, because y'all so far gone they don't even get it. They don't even understand what the fuck is Like Charlemagne and Breakfast Club in iHeart, I don't understand how that connects. But some of these other guys that do parts that kind of stand up on the mountain and beat they chest, It's like, well, damn, that seems a little bit more like what I'm doing, right, because they can't relate, So I need them to understand how important it is to connect the right dots. And we also yesterday spoke about chasing that equity play right to try to put yourself in a position to say, hey, I'm not gonna sign unless they give me equity in the company, or I'm not gonna make the deal unless they give me some sort of percentage in something that's probably unreasonable for the market at that time. What do you say to people who build they build the business that way.
Speaker 1: I think that the only way to get a business to scale is through strategic partnerships. You know, you will hit a ceiling. You definitely gonna hit a ceiling.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: That's why I laugh at a lot of people when they have these ownership conversations. But your platform is social media. Like you if you on YouTube, you know, as much as you think you on your content, YouTube really owns your content. Because what YouTube can do is demonetize you whenever they want, and they can strike your videos whatever they want. They can suppress you whenever they want, they can take your whole page down whenever they want.
Speaker 3: And I don't understand how you know people really.
Speaker 2: And in particular they do that to y'all because people that's on the radio. They feel as though they can have those conversations with radio. Personality is about ownership, and they operate on YouTube. It's a strange. Yeah, it's a very strange thing. And then I say to myself, all right, you operate on YouTube at some point, because I've seen this happen in other markets.
Speaker 4: The reason why I don't operate.
Speaker 2: On YouTube is because I lost a YouTube channel, so I know what it's like to have built that up and they snatch it.
Speaker 4: And you say, oh, that's income, that's just lost in the blink of an eye.
Speaker 2: But I think a lot of people, what I see them doing that in that space is trying to build something that's not sustainable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you're not like all of those people that's in that space. You're you might feel like you're competing with me or you know, competing with Breakfast Club in that space. But yo, that's just one lane that we're like. Breakfast Club is a show that we wake up every day. We come on six am to ten am. We got eight million monthly listeners. That's just the radio. We take the content from here and meet people where they are. Remember back in the day, they would say if you build it, they will come. It's like no nowadays, you got to build it and meet people where they are. So we put our content on YouTube, we put our content on social media. We put our content out as a daily podcast. Like our podcast gets fifteen to twenty million downloads a month for anybody that really does the research like you loan. Yes, you can go look it up and you can see even though it's a cheat cold because we're not really a podcast, Breakfast Club is the number one urban Black podcast period and like like top twenty period in the world, you know, I mean, so it's like all of those different lanes you are in, so you can't get gassed up if your YouTube page, you know this top this year has board and Breakfast Club. You can't get gassed up if your podcast this week is rated high and Breakfast Club because we're in all of those different lanes. And the only thing I ever try to tell folks that's on YouTube is, like we talked about earlier, treat YouTube like a digital billboard. Treat YouTube like a distribution platform for your content, but make sure this content is meeting people where they are in all of these different facets.
Speaker 2: So then that's how you have true value when you're everywhere, and you have value when you only have value on one of these social media platforms or even all of them, because they can change. You have to have catalog and really valuable assets in regards to content and.
Speaker 1: Be a habit, right, Like that's the thing. I don't know if I've yet to see. No, there's a few podcasts I think I definitely liver habits for people like I got my I got habits. When it comes to podcast there's certain podcasts I'm gonna always check out, you know. But that's what radio has been for years. Like think about how long your parents listen to Tom Join. We think about Doug Banks and all of them back in the day. I think about how long Howard Stern was on to rest your radio now even satellite radio, and he showed his true value because he made people go from to restual radio to satellite radio.
Speaker 3: So it's the same thing with Breath. We've been on for thirteen years.
Speaker 2: My god, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Thirteen years? Like this isn't some flash in the plan. This is fly by night thing. So one of the reasons I'm even here to have these conversations because I want to show the next generation how to have that type of long jay and create real value, real value. Forget going viral. Let's create real value.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: That's that's it. That's a shirt, right, that's literally a shirt.
Speaker 2: Now. Here's Here's what I always tell my people too, is we use social media, we use YouTube, all these things to identify our customers. At some point we have to identify the difference between a viewer and a customer because everyone is there that's looking, ain't there to spend money or consume, right, Some of these people are literally there just because of the mess or something that's had.
Speaker 1: People love train wrecks, we love car crashes, you know, and it's a lot of mess out here. And you speaking to the guy who used to call themselves the professional slang spit that have you hit a shit talking?
Speaker 3: No, none of y'all know mess like I know mess.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I done been in a lot of mess, you know.
Speaker 1: And the mess brings attention, But the mess don't bring the money. Yes, that's what people don't realize. For as much attention. When I tell folks this all the time, when I was you know, the shock jock Charlamagne, Yeah, I brought a lot of attention, you know what I mean, But it didn't necessarily translate in in the dollars in ratings R exactly. But what people don't realize is even through that, there was something I always told people, righteousness in ratchetness. You gotta have the perfect balance. So you might see a messy ass interview one day, but then you're gonna.
Speaker 3: See Dick Gregory, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You might see you know, somebody from Love and Hip hop or poem start here, but then you're gonna see Fara.
Speaker 3: Con up here. Well.
Speaker 1: And that was all purposely done because I always understood you got to put the medicine inside the candy.
Speaker 2: And that let's get there. Because to me, I truly believe that Breakfast Club was influential in what podcasting is for the urban market, Like even just from the interview style, the perspectives, the questions, the line of questioning, the way you uploaded like it's you guys made it friendly for us to have those kind of conversations. Then of course we got Vlad was out there, a couple of people was out there doing it, but Breakfast Club in particular was the first time that a lot of youngster saw a Fhara Khn come to such a big platform, and you welcome a doctor Umar, you welcome a Dick Gregory at the same time juggling with those other people, and in my opinion, that created that value that I continue to talk about. Breakfast club warrants a certain amount of real market share, not the fake market share, real market And I'm getting tired of like people operating in this fake space and leveraging that bro that's starting up, like because me, I'm looking at say, yo, that's not real. Yo yo, y'all, y'all think that's real. What he's doing is not that's what is that? And when you ask those questions like me and showed yesterday, would act it's like I'm trying to identify what he sees, like what what do you see there? Right? And he just tells me it's funny and he gives me a joke about maybe I am gay, and I say, damn when I got home last night, that really hit me, like nah, that wasn't it right?
Speaker 3: But in entertainment has its place, it does you know?
Speaker 1: Entertainment has his place. It's two things I would say to that I would say, from the business perspective, you know that was a conscious decision for us to record our interviews and uploading the way that we did, because prior to that, you know, I was doing that on my various journey through radio.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: Who understood all of us did at one point because it was when I was on a hundred point three to beat in Philly. I was recording all my interviews, but whether they were audio or video, because you got to think I was going viral back in South Carolina. You know what I'm saying. When I had Buffy the Body in the studio crazy and that was just audio. When T Pain, you know, when I told T Pain he couldn't sing live on the radio, that was just audio.
Speaker 3: But back in the day we had all.
Speaker 1: Hip hop dot com, we had sah dot Com, all hip hop il seed in the rumor report. That's the kind of stuff he would post. Like I remember bun b bun Bee came the came to my show back in South Carolina. He gave us Pimpsey release date. All of those three moments I named went crazy viral to the point Lad was putting out these beef mixtapes and he put he put the Buffy the Body one on one of his beef mixtapes.
Speaker 3: So back then that that's what we considered national exposure, considered viral Envy.
Speaker 1: I used to see Envy's interviews when he used to be on Shade forty five. He would record interviews every now and then put him up. Angelie when she was on lip Service, she would record her interviews and put them up. From when we all came together as a collective, I'm like, no brain because because we didn't have no marketing budget, my heart ain't wasn't doing billboards and all of that.
Speaker 2: For us.
Speaker 3: We was.
Speaker 1: We was a little niggas that could, Like not the little engine a little we were. We were the little niggas that could. We were just if this, if this didn't worked, it, that's right. If this three don't work, we don't know what we're gonna end up doing with this station. So we all came together. The first thing we ever did, we did a viral. We did a sketch together, and the sketch was about whose show is it? And and he was like, this is my show, of course, and he was running down his resume. I'm like, no, this is my show, of course, I'm running down my resume and we were like, no, this is my show. Of course, she running down her resume. And then it ended with us just arguing and fighting and trying to decide what we're gonna sit. And I remember we put that out and man, that shit did like six hundred thousand, seven hundred thousand views in a couple of days, and we was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 4: So go back.
Speaker 2: Who was doing that type of thing then nobody, nobody, That's what I'm saying. Back then that was this was two thousand oh that helped shape the market. Like I'm telling you, like the way that these convers sations and then vlag come in with his click clippy type of thing that presented a whole thing. But you guys, just conversation wise, I feel as though it laid a real foundation. That's what it should sound like when it's a classic interview. And let me go back to the corporate hustling thing, because I think when I.
Speaker 1: Want to say one thing about that, I never thought about it. But yeah, because before that it would always be one person and one person. Now you got three people having a conversation with one person. Yes, you can get so much out because I might ask something that view don't ask, and you might ask something that you don't ask. So when you got three people together having a conversation with one person, you're able to get a much fuller interview. And that's something I never even thought about, because even the people that I named, they were one man band.
Speaker 2: One man band, yeah, so the one woman yeah. So the podcast market literally, I believe that almost everybody doing podcasts right now came off Breakfast Club. I'm now they you know, as far as that saw that, those interviews with Jay and Farah Khan, they literally drew something from that, at least I know I did, you know, so most people. But back to that corporate hustling thing and speaking about the Breakfast Club interviews, what I think happened is because a lot of people in the market, and we'll get to some of them in a second, but some of those guys are lean on the fact that you're corporate hustling aside with iHeart, I think that.
Speaker 4: That Dame Dash interview, I think that sent.
Speaker 2: Although the message was pure and it was a good message, I think it sent a level of confusion through the market.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: I think that it kind of put people in a position not to understand that you can do this one hand.
Speaker 4: Washed the other botha washed the face, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think some people who say your name with the corporate tag attached to it, I think they lean on those kind of moments which Dame Dash came in and said certain things and certain things might have happened. What do you what do you think about that Dame Dash interview and what that may have done to the market of misinformation.
Speaker 1: I love the Dame Dash conversation. I think the essence of what he said is true. You know, you do want ownership, like you know, you should have ownership in something I don't believe and necessarily belittling the employees, you know, because we all got to start somewhere. And if you're a boss who you got to have people that work, right, it's like to work with you instead.
Speaker 3: Of for you.
Speaker 4: It's a collaborative vest.
Speaker 1: So if you got people that work with you, if they feel like, you know, you have that mentality like you're looking down on them, or you think that they you know, let's dance, they may not want to ride for you as hard. But I think we gotta we gotta take a step back when we have these conversations about ownership because you know, jay Z I pointed this interview that jay Z did with Kevin Hart on Heart for Heart, because I think he broke it down so simply. Some people are so happy having ownership of one hundred percent of nothing. So would you rather have one hundred percent ownership of a company that makes, you know, let's just say one hundred thousand dollars a year, so that's your one hundred thousand, or would you rather have you know, ten percent, twenty percent, thirty percent, fifty one percent ownership of a company that's making multimillion dollars a year like you do the math, like I can. That equity can still go to my kids, you know what I'm saying. And at the end of the day, it's all about the capital. So there's plenty of things that I have equity in. Everything ain't fifty one percent equity. Black effect is fifty one percent equity with my heart. But some things are ten percent, somethings of twenty percent. You know, when I do a TV show, it might be fifteen percent. But all I need is the capital. Except when you get that capital, that real capital, now I can go out here and execute some things and straight out of my pockets, you know, by the way, which I do all the time.
Speaker 3: Like you know, there's plenty of investments that I use.
Speaker 1: My capital right to launch right right right, and I do that because of the money I make through.
Speaker 2: That's strategic. It allows you, it allows you to do so. And I also want to be clear to the youngsters that my partnership with Charlemagne, they didn't try to own my shit.
Speaker 3: Never.
Speaker 2: They didn't try to play me or do no sucker shit. They fuck with me and say, lone, we really enjoy your content. We want to amplify, be partners with you. This is what we can do if we know you're gonna do what you do, and here we are.
Speaker 1: My face card is always clean when it comes to business because I'm always treat people the way that I want to be treats. I'm not gonna ever try to own it. It's up there, Ip, That's not why it's up there. It was already an existing entity. The only thing I want to do is be able to bring this machine next with loon plug loon up to this machine and let's see how big this situation.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying can get yeah, bro, And that's love because I'm telling the youngsters don't know that. And when they say corporate hustling, they don't know that you're reaching reaching in like that because there's a lot of people in the market that's successful today that went through you to get established, but they won't say it. So the youngsters still don't have the identity factor to know how did he get to that ten, How did he get there? What happened? How did he build that? I know he says what he makes, but why and how? And they forget the part, Well, he hooked up with Charlemagne for a minute, they ran some numbers up, got the machine behind it, and then it placed him established in the market. And that's the part that a lot of young podcasters are forgetting. You must get established in the mark. Got to get established for you can warn any money.
Speaker 1: I've always been intentional little about using my platforms and power other people. You know, my homeboy man Djfrostydjfrosty dot com, He'll tell you. When I got on with Wendy, I thought I had to bring the whole South Carolina with me, Like that was my whole mindset, Like yo South Carolina. We're trying to break somebody in this hip hop game, you know, So I'm gonna use this platform to try to put everybody in position.
Speaker 3: Frosty will always also tell you.
Speaker 1: When I got on Breakfast Club, I said, frost I'm gonna do something that I never ever did before. I'm gonna tell you something that I never ever said before. I said, I'm gonna be all about me. I said, the reason I'm gonna be all about me is because I can't properly help anybody or assist anybody until I get in position. My boy, my man, Frosty will tell you that right now. It's been my partner for damn it, for over twenty years. Frosty will tell you that right now. That's what I said. That was my mindset, because a lot of times we don't realize we can't get farther alone.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know when.
Speaker 1: You're trying to bring everybody in with you. You know how it is when you try to get into a party with twenty thirty people.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But I've got into plenty of parties by myself.
Speaker 4: You see how I roll.
Speaker 2: That's what I understand that right my whole thing is like, Bro, I'm really on the mission. I don't need all my homeboys with me, none of that, because they gonna they're gonna blur my vis.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: I need to be clear minded. I need to be focused, right. I don't need to be talking when I need to be studying. You know. I need to really be on this because I know for a fact people are listening. I know this for one hundred percent fact, and it's changing things. I know people are saying, yo, I said my son down the listener, that what you said about that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, yo, they lit So I'm taking that shit serious, knowing that this is all they got because I.
Speaker 4: Can't touch everybody, that's right.
Speaker 2: I cannot go to every hood and to every city and have a seminar every I can't do that.
Speaker 4: But what I can do is be intentional with our conversations.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and I think if we live there, man, we can we can, we can go far. I want to talk to about your confidence. What's responsible for your confidence?
Speaker 3: Monks? Going to South Carolina?
Speaker 1: You know, growing up in a place where nobody bit their tongue, where regardless of what was in people's pockets. Regardless of what people's financial situation was. Everybody walked in the room like they were somebody, and nobody treated anybody, you know, differently because of what they had, you know, like that whole mentale I got where I treat the custody and like the CEO. You know, I get that from growing up in a small country town because you don't know who's who.
Speaker 3: And I remember my dad, me and my dad riding around.
Speaker 1: My dad pointed at this dude one day and my dad said, you see that man right there. It was this white dude. He's just regular looking white dude. Saime, that's the richest man in most corn And I was like, for real, because you know, my idea wealth is the jewelry, the design and clothes. Ain't everything else the flying car.
Speaker 3: I'm like him.
Speaker 1: He was like yeah, he was like, you know, black people, we like to wear all money, you know what I mean. We like to show, we like to we like to show like we we like to look like we have money instead of just actually happened.
Speaker 3: And I was like, damn.
Speaker 1: So my mentality was especially growing up the way I grew up. You know, I sold a little bit of drugs I was a quarterspoon guy, right, you know seven grams. Right, We're supposed to make one hundred dollars off every gram, but you know that don't have what happened? You're gonna spend two fifty and make about five hundred.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But I never was the richest person, right, But all my people around me was really big, big, big, big, big dope boys. The only thing I couldn't do was be the funny guy. You know what I'm saying. The only thing I could do was be the guy that read everything. You know. That's the only thing I could do. So my confidence was always Okay. I know I'm around people that may be more financially well off than me, but I'm me, Like what God gave me is me and it ain't on me.
Speaker 4: But how did you? How did you?
Speaker 2: Because I'm even going through that now where it's like, yo, bro, I know what's up with me. I know what it is, I know who I am. But still sometimes this shit is getting big where it's like I what WHOA?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna add something else on too. Knowledge yourself? Right. Growing up, my dad giving me first book he gave me was autobiography of Malcolm X. Reading that and then that leading me into reading Message to the Black Man by the Honorable Elijah Muhammad, and then you know, reading From Niggas to Gods by a Kill Like all of these books just you know, really instilled in me that you him black king, black men are special, Black and black people are special, the black man is God like. That was really my mindset. And so that's another thing that gave me confidence. But to what you just said, I've never felt like I'm bigger than nobody, you know, I've never felt that way ever in my life. I've never I've never had a struggle with being humble. In the times my ego did get the best of me, I was fully aware that my ego was getting the best of me. And those are the moments that I couldn't sleep at night. Like everybody talk about, Oh you know why Charlemagne all he talks about is mental health and therapy. I started going to therapy in twenty and sixteen, you know, because of exactly what you're talking about. I started going to therapy at the height of successful things too, because I've always dealt with like anxiety, panic attacks. I've always dealt with like bounce of depression. Didn't even know what they were, you know, growing up in the hoods, you just think you pussy, Yes.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So if I'm like, I'm around this environment where people got guns and it's violence and people are hustling, like, of course I'm would be naturally paranoid. But if you think that you got to go have to run from the cops in the next five minutes, of course you're gonna be naturally paranoid. But as I got older, I started realizing, like, yo, this ain't just normal, you know, paranoia. So twenty sixteen, I'm experiencing the most success I've ever had in my life. You know, I got more money than I've ever had in my life. But I'm realizing I'm becoming exactly what I hated, meaning that I was about the roocause I've been married for like two years then, even though me and my wife we've been together twenty five years, but we had got married at twenty fourteen, and I was still out here in these streets. You know, I'm still out here running around with a bunch of other chicks in La laid up with a whole bunch of other ships. I'm still living that life, and I'm realizing, like, yo, I'm about to ruin my family the way I saw my pops oring his family. And that's something my pops would always tell me, he regretted as he got older. He would always say that to me, the thing I've really messed up on was not doing right by your mom. So I was getting caught up in the characterure of Charlamagne. That ain't who Leonard is. Right.
Speaker 2: What moment was it though, when you were at the height that made you say, all right, I might need to see about myself, like, see what's going on well, because you went on a spell for a minute where you was doing shit.
Speaker 1: Like the moment that made me really check myself was a phone call for my wife and I'm out in doing some I ain't got no business doing. And I remember her calling me, and I remember her just saying to me, what are you doing. I'm like, I'm just in the hotel whatever. She was like, no, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Like she feel it and not even about that moment. She said, what are you doing with your life? You're about to fuck around and lose your family. You're about to fuck around and lose everything, you know what I mean, because of where you at mentally. And that was like a wake up call, like oh it. And then I remember the moment I decided to start going to therapy was I I was on vacation. I was on vacation with all my friends and family, and you know, I love going to this place called Anguilla, and I realized I was getting my head cut and I realized I was feeling something that I hadn't felt in years, loan and it was true peace, like true piece, like not a care.
Speaker 3: Not a worry in the world.
Speaker 1: Know, we strive for no anxiety. I was in the moment, like I was literally in the moment, like just I wasn't focused on what's gonna happen tomorrow, I wasn't focused on what happened yesterday.
Speaker 3: I was just in the moment.
Speaker 1: And I said to myself, like, yeah, I gotta feel like this all the time. What's gonna make me feel like this all the time? And you know the answer for me was to start going to therapy.
Speaker 2: Man, That's that's so deep, it's so layered, because when I hear you say that, the first thing pops in my mind is where would you be without your wife? Because this is how I know also that you are not one of those clout chasy or egotistical in regards to financial guys, is because you never wore your wealth. Then on top of that, at that moment, you being Charlemagne, the height of your career, you could have said, man, I reached out to Jay Z and talked to Jay Man and had a long conversation with Jay and that made me go, see about mine? It could have been anything in entertainment business, any ceo, anybody almost in this business. It was family.
Speaker 1: My wife, Man, My wife build me twenty five years. The first time I ever filt out an application at a radio station, she drove me because my license was suspended. Man, it's nineteen ninety eight. Wow, you know Charltera South Carolina's doing this? Ye come man, it's nobody better. She's my best friend, she's my business partner, you know what I mean. Like, she's the person that I know has always believed in really, Like she was writing papers about me in college, like about you know, she was interviewing me for like cause she was a communications major. So she was interviewing me in college. I go back and I read these things and I'm like, damn. And she always said, like you you predicted everything that you was going to be doing.
Speaker 3: Like you know, I I.
Speaker 1: Told her, I'm I'm gonna be in New York doing radio. This is two thousand and one. Only I been doing radio three years. Why would I believe that I was gonna be in New York doing radio? Got Randy Rope to Randy, he's from South Carolina. He used to write for Ozone magazine. He'll tell you, Randy probably got some old tapes and old interviews.
Speaker 3: I'm predicting all of this.
Speaker 2: You need.
Speaker 3: Same thing with Blad Blad Blad.
Speaker 1: What I got fired from Philly at one hundred point three to beat the day I got fired, I went to go see Vlad and I did an interview and Vlad will take. I told him I'm gonna be back in position and it's gonna be bigger than it ever was. Like He'll tell you, like na, he said he was gonna do all that. So yeah, man, People always ask me what's the key to success. I always say, God, black women and therapy. You gotta have a queen on your side, and you gotta pour into your queen and do right by us, like yo, remember when Seeley pointed that finger, Yeah, silly saying, ain't no good gonna come to you and tell you.
Speaker 3: Do right by me?
Speaker 1: Yo, my brothers, I promise you, man, if you do right by the woman that you love and the woman that loves you, you will see blessings like you've never seen before in your life. Like over the last seven years, since I committed to myself more, I'm not gonna say committed to my wife. I committed to myself. I did the work on myself, and I said, Joe, I'm going to be a changed man. I'm gonna, you know, evolve intentionally. I'm gonna do right by my wife and my family intentionally. Last seven years, I've elevated in every way. And I said just before in the pivot. But it's true, physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, financially. Can't nobody tell me that I'm not in the position I'm in right now because I intentionally committed to doing the work on myself and doing right by the people that truly loved me.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's so deep. That's so deep, and I think it's a lesson in that. But they need to hear us identify that because again, like you said, we just deal with it, even with me, like, I don't know what it is, what it is, right because I think you know coming from where I come from, and you.
Speaker 4: Speak about your girl.
Speaker 2: I just I was in a relationship, long term relationship, and I had to because of everything that's going on. Right, it started to affect things and for some reason, I could no longer be available in the same way, and it started to affect my relationship. And so I can identify the difference right Without that queen next to me, I can literally feel the difference. Bro, I can feel like not complete. I don't even operate with the same confidence, right because I don't have that swap, cause we would swap those ideas or I'd be like, yo, tomorrow, I gotta go see Charlotte them. You know, I'm gonna kill this, you know, and I don't have anyone else to I don't pour into anyone. I'm too afraid to pour into people because I've been disappointed so much. Right, when you pour into somebody, you become vulnerable because you put your emotions in a cup and you pour it on them.
Speaker 1: Man, when me say nothing makes a man feel better than a woman. Man queen with a crown, that'd be down for whatever. You know. You know, like there's a few things that's forever, My lady, we can make wall make babies. Back when I was nothing, you made a brother feel like he was something. We talking about confidence. That's another thing. I don't care what's going on. This is I got a beautiful black woman that love me that.
Speaker 2: When I come in with my head down, she's gonna say king man.
Speaker 1: When I come in with no haircut and that headline sitting in the middle of my I got the RoboCop with the mask off going on, and that's just sitting right there in the middle.
Speaker 3: She still got love for me.
Speaker 2: Back and bringer Like, bro, I'm just saying black men have to identify the love is not don't follow these rappers with this rap talk about sleeping all these women. It's too much energy. You know. I always say energy is deep in the inn course, So you don't want to just allow all that energy around.
Speaker 3: Man, you people.
Speaker 1: The only reason I know I was out there doing that was I was trying to feed my ego, and like the ego was like a cup with no bottom in it. So you can pour water into that cup and that water just gonna fall right through.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You got to feed your soul being committed to one woman, you know, being a great father, being a great husband, and that actually feeds you know, your soul. And you know, the coaches the coach is fucked up, right. The culture for years was all it was all about misogyny. You know, we all played a role in it. You know, it was all about patriarchy, It was all over sexualized.
Speaker 3: We all played.
Speaker 2: A role in passing that done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: We all played a role in you know, how our women got treated, you know, in society. So it's just like, yo, if I spent however many years of my life doing that, I'm gonna definitely show y'all the other way, because I.
Speaker 3: Promise you the other way it's way more fruitful, man.
Speaker 1: I mean it's funny to me when I hear people say, damn bro, like yo, you you you can't even you know, talk about how another girl looks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But I'm not about to be sitting on a podcast or on the radio lusted over another woman. Not many years I ain't bass my wife doing shit like.
Speaker 2: That on.
Speaker 1: Your perception of Charlemagne Lenard goes home to this woman right here, right if she feel any kind of way about it, Come on, man, any kind of way more? Man, your brother, your brothers be having more loyalty to the men around them than they do the women. The woman that you go home to at night, sleep in the bed with, right like this supposed to be your best friend, You're not gonna give her that same respect. You're not gonna show her the same integrity that you would do your homeboy wife. Because you think your homeboy bust.
Speaker 2: Your head right, you really a cow cow Because for me, I go much further for my woman because I know how far she would go for me. Man, you know what I'm saying these dudes, if you've really been in the streets, man, you know this whole thing is built on the falsehood. Man, this shit is not now. It's some real things happening, but the people that's communicating about them ninety percent of the time are not those people in those positions. And that's just how this works. Right.
Speaker 1: And when we tell you, yeah, to your point, because we can we can put that with street shit right, people that talk about screet shit that ain't never been in the street, all people that talk about relationships that don't have no relationships, Like one of my favorite things to do long because because of you, I'm starting to pay attention a lot more. I love going on YouTube and listening to people talk about me and things that are going on and my life are going on with my people and they don't know what.
Speaker 3: The fuck they're talking about.
Speaker 1: That ship is so funny to me because they speak about it with the utmost confidence. Like I literally hear people talking about how I am at home with my wife?
Speaker 2: How the fuck you know how I am at with this ship? You know what I'm saying, What are you talking? It's like, how do you how do you know how I am at home with my wife? Like that's weird, That's that's unbelievable. Where you get that from? Like, but it's it's funny to me, and I listen and it just lets me know, like, Oh, you don't have a wife.
Speaker 1: Oh you don't have a family, So you don't understand how having kids can change a person.
Speaker 2: Or you ain't a man, you ain't the king or the castle, or you ain't to hate you not to hear you to take Yeah, that's right. A lot of times I can't talk to you little niggas because you ain't here a household. I need to talk to head the household. And a lot of times this year niggas woman. So when I go to talking about how you need to uplift your woman and stand for your home and pull into your children, y'all don't get that, cause that's your woman job for y'all.
Speaker 4: That's right, y'all passed that to the woman.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. But as me and we got to start the uplift and say now I'm pouring into the children's right, I'm pouring into the house the same way she is. That ain't just your job, that's our job, especially if.
Speaker 3: You come from not having that.
Speaker 1: That's like, I love my dad to death, but my dad was not able to be there for me in the way that he even wanted to because he had his own issues. He was dealing with self disabuse issues. He tried to kill himself back in the day. He was on ten to twelve different medications. He went to therapy two and three times a week. If I would have known that when I was a kid, I would have known what I was dealing with, you know what I mean. But these are things he didn't tell me till I was a full blown adulte. He didn't tell me. He didn't tell me anything. I just said, until I was forty years old.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: After he read my second book, Shook One, So after you peeped it. After I talked about what I was going through. And I had a cousin who committed suicide that same that week, it was a week of things giving. I was home. He called me on the phone and told me all of those things. I remember calling my mom, like, Mom, you know you know Dad was going through all of this. She said, I thought he was just playing crazy to get a check. Wow, that's what they did, know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they still doing that now. And that's what I'm saying in the black community, because we so financially impoverished.
Speaker 4: How do we know when she played for the check or really need to.
Speaker 3: Have it going through something? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: But then think about all the stuff we normalize. We know, like violence is normal to us, watching somebody get shot, watched somebody get their head, But you know what I mean, going up in a store holding it up at gunpoint, whatever it is, all of these things are normal. Robbing somebody for their pack, like all this stuff is Why is this shit normal to us?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying, and like now it's still normal for me. And I'm trying to tell myself, lone, you got, I got it. That's why I'm glad I got. I'm getting new friends. That's on different levels, right, so I can start to have different conversations even though I'm good, I'm straight, but I'm saying I get shited without people telling me, you know, like yesterday when we were when I did Breakfast Club and you over there, I'm keeping technique. I'm watching certain things. I'm saying, oh, okay, what's this?
Speaker 4: What's that?
Speaker 2: And so I understand that I gotta work on myself, you know what I'm saying. And so many people come and say Loan like shout out to test you hit me like man, you like pop? Man like yeah, she like so man, you got a gift?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: You annoying it?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Your your voice?
Speaker 4: What you how you speak?
Speaker 2: And I'm just like in my brain, yo, i gotta get well versed on so many more things.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of more work.
Speaker 2: To do, and she's like, loan you good, you know, but I always feel like I gotta work and we always have work to do, right, But some people see us in our current form and we have to battle with our growth. Some people saw you in your current form back then doing all of that, and sometimes they say they missed the old Charlamagne. What do you say to people who don't understand that you are Charlemagne. There's no more old Charlemagne. That's dead. That's my past. That's what I've done. But I think, and I'll give you my opinion, you can answer. I think Charlemagne is available, and I'll look in the camera. I think Charlemagne is available to feed the coach and have these conversations. He just got to have a runway to have a conversation, right, Somebody got to ask the questions. You gotta be able to bounce these kind of topics with people in an interesting way. And I think some people think you've checked out of that side of the game. And I believe they think you used to be there with the Phara Khan type talk, with the you know, some of that kind of shit where you used to dive in. What do you say to people who take that position.
Speaker 1: I care about all of that stuff more than ever, you know what I mean. But I'll tell people too. If you want old Charlamagne, then you gotta go on YouTube to find old Charlamage. And Charlamage is gonna always constantly grow, yes, and always, you know, constantly evolve. But I like this version of me much better because truthfully, I couldn't be that version anymore if I tried.
Speaker 3: Those days are gone, like it was a moment in time.
Speaker 1: It's like when you constantly keep telling fifty cents to make get rich of DoD trying? Are you telling jay Z to make reasonable doubt? I cannot do that anymore. But I can give you for a full fall, yes, you know, because I'm at a different point in my life.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And and even.
Speaker 1: When people say things like you know, I love I love when I'm online, and they'd be like, yo, PC to god, let me tell y'all something, man, you know, criticizing rappers, calling out rappers, you know, for their albums being whack or whatever that brings you some smoke, Like y'all see me in the street getting puns in.
Speaker 3: The back of the head.
Speaker 2: Are you with these niggas you will call that's right. Once they called out and I'm in the basement.
Speaker 3: I'm out there.
Speaker 1: But y'all, y'all heard about these different altercations and dust stuffs that have happened with rappers.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: Calling out politicians is a way way way different ballgames. Y'all, y'all have no idea. When people have no idea the things that have been halted because of things that I've said about elected officials or you know, people at corporations. And I ain't talking about no entertainment shit, right, I'm talking about real life.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about shit like home insurance.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, I'm talking about shit like.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Things that getting in a way of real real life, real life.
Speaker 3: And you know, because you know I tell you a story.
Speaker 1: It's like, yo, I remember one time things were getting I'm not gonna say what it was over, but things were getting I couldn't get home insurance on the property. I'm like, what the hell can I get home? I'm having Homshans all these years and all of a sudden, I can't get homer Sance got turned down by like ten or eleven different homersaurance companies. My lawyer got on the phone and one of them said, what is going on, Like, what's happening that you know he can't get Homer sance And first was like it was because of these comments that he made about X, Y and Z, like straight up said it. My lawyer was like, well, can you put that on pay yes please? And of course they.
Speaker 2: Couldn't yes, because that didn't get your head of cameras.
Speaker 1: So then I got the Homer showing. There was some BS Homer shows at first.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, we got.
Speaker 1: Some better home but but folks don't realize, like the battles were fighting now, the wars were fighting.
Speaker 2: Now if you.
Speaker 4: Conquered all.
Speaker 2: But even with the rap shit, yo, bro, I hung the twenty three up in that court. I did that like I literally made the most money. And I know you don't like to talk money, but we talking money today because there's too many people.
Speaker 3: I'm doing okay, Now I'm doing okay, God talking money.
Speaker 1: My mom always said it's okay. My mom always told me to be happy to just be making a living.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're not doing that, no more, not today, not today. We're not letting them get away with that time. No more today. Were talking money today, And I know because I get paid with you, so I know it's some money available. We're talking money today. But but even even in that, in the situation where like what you're just talking about, uh, the game is called us to feed our ego, right, the game has put us in a position to do that. Now, what I do think is, oh, that's what I was gonna say. With those conversations, people need to understand that the new Charlemagne is in lackluster. Even when I hear you cop to the new Charlemagne, it's confusion in that term, because new Charlemagne would indicate to some people on the other side that maybe it lost something, right. I don't know why, but I think they feel like you know, when you say when you even cop to it, right, when you're just like, yo, I'm the new Charlemagne, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if it's new Charlamagne.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm just Leonard.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day, I think what you're seeing now is more so Leonard as opposed to Charlomagne. Charlamagne is just the name that people still call me and I still answer to it. But you know, like in my mind, I'm I'm I'm on Daddy Molde all the time, you know what I mean. I'm in a husband mode all the time, I'm in I'm in busines this mold like like like all the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think the youngsters need to know that the conversations are still polding, that the information is still polding, right, that you ain't lost your legs, like you can get in the mix and talk about it.
Speaker 1: I'm better And the only reason I know I'm better is because the audience grew as we all evolved. When when I started doing work on myself, when Envy you know, started transitioning, and it.
Speaker 3: Like everything evolved, the audience.
Speaker 1: The audience grew, like you're talking about Farra Con and Dick Gregory and you know, all of these different voices that we were bringing on. But then like think about the political conversations we started to have. And that goes back to something my mother told me when I was young, read things that don't pertain to you every day. So being that I used to read things that don't pertain to me, I started watching things that don't pertain to me a verse, that's right. I always had my hand in a little bit of everything. I was allway was watching CNN and watching ESPNS. You know, I was always reading the sauce, but also reading the Watchtower, you know, because my mom was a Jehovah witness. So it's like we started on the political We started getting our political bag on Breakfast Club because of my man Bacari sellers South Carolina. I know in Bacari, since I was doing radio in South Carolina using you know, the the clubs back then, drinking, having a good time. Right, So when he ran for Lieutenant governor of South Carolina, he came to Breakfast Club. Because Bacari is of an age where he understands culture. He was like, I'm gonna meet people where they are. I'm going to the breakfast club, right, And that interview did a lot for Bacari as far as that campaign. He didn't win, but what happened was Bacari started talking about how well it did for him. So then we just started opening the floodgates. The Angela ris of the world you know, started coming up here. And then you know, because of the relationships with Bacari and people like that. You know, I remember Angela Rai had Andrew Gilliam come up here later, and then the Hillary Clinton and because uh, Bernie Sanders, well, Hillary had a bunch of black women working around her, salute to Karen Sivil and they were telling her, Yo, she needs to be doing stuff like breakfast club. Bernie Sanders had a lot of black people around him. It was Nina Turner and Teslin Figureo and Simone Sanders at the time. They were all around Bernie and they at least at least test and Simone was telling him, you need.
Speaker 3: To go do breakfast club. Killer.
Speaker 1: Mike was rocking with.
Speaker 4: Him to that stuff and making sense.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: And and for me, just being a person who has always wanted to ask politicians certain questions.
Speaker 3: I looked forward to that.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Now, those interviews may not do five million on YouTube like A six nine or or whatever numbers they were doing Soldier Boy and all of them, But Yo, we're talking about real.
Speaker 2: World and then not even that. From a business perspective, it stretches my market share.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: We give you, it gives you more market share in the real world.
Speaker 4: Yes, and here here.
Speaker 2: Here's also what I find interesting about that is not only does it give you market share, it's almost like you guys are some of the only people that can serve this same fan base like a hamburger and a salad.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like everybody's fan base won't even it'll do nothing if they go that route, knowing as they built it.
Speaker 1: That was always my mentality because I saw a long time ago how hip hop and hip hop personalities put themselves in a box. I think I'll be forty five in a couple of weeks, right, so I've hip hop's fifty years old. I've been kind of around hip hop since the inception, Like I saw the rise of it in a real way from my cousin Tied letting me hear you know, paid in full by Aericban rock him Wow in eighty eight when I was ten years old to where we are now, you know, with the culture. But I saw where hip hop was was hitting that glass ceiling. I saw when those rappers that I grew up on and I loved couldn't escape that box they were in. They still wanted to rap about the street shit and they still wanted to rap about the guns, and they still wanted to, you know, talk about the drug we know they not selling no more.
Speaker 3: They weren't telling us about where they were in their lives.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Man, That's why I love what jay Z is.
Speaker 1: That's why I love with knowledge that Now I've got a song called Brunch on Sundays.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean, That's what we say. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So when back then I knew, Yo, we can't stay in a box. We got to constantly bring people on this platform that may not necessarily pertain to the platform. Who says the who says Bishop TDJS can't be on.
Speaker 2: Here when I'm telling you no, he can. For y'all, everybody can't have that conversation for an hour and a half with someone without it being about rap, without it being about beef. This is the point I was making the shows is the value comes when I can build a catalog that maintains market share. If I just focus on the beef. Literally, anyone can talk about that. You can literally, in my opinion, put anyone in that space. But with y'all, again, your audience was h would receive both these meals and eat it up. Now they may not eat all the salad, right, they may go twenty five minutes in, but that twenty five minutes may spark the change to now he's an Umar fan. Now he goes down this rabbit hole looking at what the hell Dick Gregory been talking. Oh, here's another one. Oh, here's another one. This is I have discovered some of the things that have changed my perspective based on that kind of stuff. Right, y'all might do Dick Gregory. I may say, now I know Dick Gregory.
Speaker 4: But I didn't know he talked like that.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I've been doing this.
Speaker 1: The first time I ever interviewed the Honorable Minister Lewis Prior Cohn was two thousand and five. It was the ten year anniversary of the Million Man March, and I used to do youth ministry at Muhammed Mars number thirty eight in Columbia, South Carolina, and he came, you know, to announce that they were doing the ten year They were doing the ten year anniversary of the Million Man March, called the Million Man Movement, or I think it was a million Man movement of the Million March movement. I don't remember, but I'm I got the opportunity to be part of the press junkie, right, and I'm in there with my little tape record. I still got the interview somewhere, but I'm in there with my little tape recorder and I'm just sitting there like, I don't know what all these people talk about. I don't know if I'm ever gonna get a chance to talk to the minister ever again. I got questions about light Man, so I hit him with I was the first person boom.
Speaker 3: I hit him with two questions about light Man.
Speaker 1: And he gave these really thought provoking answers and he goes, don't ask me any more questions.
Speaker 3: He said, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna talk to you later.
Speaker 4: Just south the line of questions.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I'm like, damn, he you know, he just he just told me shut the fuck up.
Speaker 3: He trying to eat man.
Speaker 1: After that press junker was over, one of the brothers came back and got me. They took me to the minister sweep and we sat down. He said, Rick, he said, I want you to record this too, and I got that recorded as well. I had a couple more questions for him and you know. I remember him putting his hand on my knee and just saying, man, you are more than what you appear to be the other people, and you know you are here to help the next generation. I'm paraphrasing, but just to help the next generation, you know, grow and get and get to where they need to be. And he was like, you know, I want I want to pour all my wisdom into you. He said, this is O five and asked, brother, I got it on tape. I say, as brother da Mohama said, brother Damhamma, But I got it on tape, you know, and yeah, those that's where my mind was always at. I got in trouble for that in Columbia Sideline. I got in trouble because I played it on the air. And I remember, I remember my program directed at the time. He said, uh, I wouldn't have played that that that that Farah Cohn interview if I was you mind you He wasn't on this saying that it's about nobody.
Speaker 3: He wasn't talking about no community.
Speaker 1: He was just talking about life and hip hop and how to bridge the gap between hip hop and spirituality. But I guess, you know, some of the powers that be had complained, you know, complaining down there?
Speaker 2: Man, that's crazy, don't you. I just did a c I a guy and I don't know if he spind me or not. But I asked him about Phara Khan. He said, I don't know who that is. You think he's spinning me. He said he didn't know far he was in there for eight years. He was in there when the Boston bombing happened.
Speaker 3: He's only been a year.
Speaker 4: He was in there for eight years.
Speaker 2: He's not in there no more. But he was an X operator for a.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, minister's ninety years old.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying the CIA didn't don't they have? They had an interest in in Parak Khan.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they still do. I mean back in the day. I think, if my reading serves me correctly, the Honorable Elijah Muhammad was the most surveillance person.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to get in with him.
Speaker 2: Why would you because I don't know if this is That's what I'm saying that That's why I was because I was looking at some stuff and I asked me. He was like, I don't know who that is. I know about the million man in March, but I don't know Farakhn. I just found that strange that intelligence doesn't know who Farakhn is.
Speaker 3: Maybe he got to play dumb.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's what I though. That's what I thought it was.
Speaker 2: I shout of got him like this dude was spinning me. Let's get into podcasting a little bit. What would you say, warrants uh money for a podcast?
Speaker 3: Viewership?
Speaker 1: You know when I viewership, listenership, you know, it's all about the audio. I keep trying to have that conversation with people because if you're on YouTube, and you're just on YouTube, you're not a podcast. You're a video show, yes you know what I mean. But if you're a podcast, it's all about the audio. People care about what's the numbers on that RSS feed? Yes, you know, that's where the money is. And I'm I'm in the audio business like that's why you know, people, And I don't knock you, like I said, YouTube is a digital billboard, but I'm in the audio business. Like everything I do with Black Effect podcast, we do audio. You know, I don't we know. We don't touch your at all. Yes, y'all don't. When when Drink Champs was with Black Effect, we didn't touch the drink Champs video. You know when Earn your lesion was a black effect, we didn't touch Earn your Leisure video.
Speaker 3: All the smoke. We don't touch all the smoke video.
Speaker 1: It's not we don't touch all the smoke video like we care about the audio because the audio is where the ad revenue is. I do radio, I do refaence club every morning. That's the audio bin. That's where you're pulling from. And that's what I need the youngsters to understand. When he talks about this, pay attention. Write some shit down if you need to. But this dude has.
Speaker 2: Made a lot of money in the audio game and podcast and they have been able to confuse us to think that video is podcast. It's a component of the podcast. But literally podcasting lives in the audio form.
Speaker 1: I've been doing Brilliant Idiots for ten years and I love when people say things like Brillian Nidias fell off this and that. But I'm like, damn, we do three hundred thousand listens.
Speaker 2: Every episode and I don't know, and I've watched it. I've been I remember when I was hearing and I went and looked, I'm like, fell out.
Speaker 3: How yeah? And you can go look on SoundCloud.
Speaker 1: SoundCloud has some of the numbers, like to SoundCloud you'll see like two hundred thousand, but then Spotify.
Speaker 3: Is a whole other thing and whatever else.
Speaker 1: You can listen to podcast and I'm like, damn, you know, the checks don't look like we fell.
Speaker 3: You know, we're in the audio space. But what you said is true.
Speaker 1: People get confused about the visual right or even like I see people say things like man, why why brilliant?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 1: YouTube don't have a lot of subscribers. I'm like, bro, do you realize this our second YouTube page, right, like our first YouTube page, we had well over a million followers.
Speaker 2: Andrew turned to the flagrant.
Speaker 1: No, Andrew turned it into Andrew And that's because Andrew was he was he.
Speaker 2: Was kind of headed that curve right when when he was saying like and then you would this is again, this is what I'm saying about some of the assists that people may not even really add value to your name. With Shoultz, I literally saw you hand him a platform, like hand him a situation where it's like, yo, you my guy, I really rock with you. Whatever you need from me, go get your money and you and that that I'll take it to this. You guys had built up Brilliant Idiots when he had first started Flagrant, and he took Flagrant and put it on Brilliant Idiots the RS on the RSS feed and so that should even speak to how important that R S S feed is.
Speaker 1: So we did that with every podcast we launched on Loud Speaking Angelo Ride podcast. When we launched her, it was on r s S feed. Tax do On, we launched taxt On and it was on our RSS feed.
Speaker 3: Any T K.
Speaker 1: Kirkling, whoever it was that we were doing that podcast at the time, we put it on Brilliant Idiots RSS feed because we had a booming RSS feed. I mean, of course the reed does, but but they're not letting nobody get on their rspless. It's like the friend zone something like. Yes, it's all about audio.
Speaker 2: So what about the Patreon versus audio model.
Speaker 1: I don't mind the Patreon model because it's just like a subscription based model versus a open air.
Speaker 2: But it needs to be added value.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you should be doing something else on Patreon, getting people something else, Like I'm not gonna, you know, put a podcast out for everybody to listen to and then put that same podcast behind the Walls just because of some curse words, and you know what I mean, charge them more, Like if I'm gonna do Patreon, I'm gonna give them some whole other content, like I wouldn't even want to give people, you know what I'm doing on the regular podcast, Like let me go take them behind the scenes, let me give them something else.
Speaker 2: So he's are blueprints for the youngsters they listening, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I think one of the best blue prints to follow. I think one of the best blue prints to follow is Flagrant. And the reason I think Flagrant is one of the best blueprints to follow is because Andrew puts Flagrant out as a podcast, you know, so you can listen to it for free. But when they were doing like more edgy of content, you can go listen to it on the Patreon and they put out the video on YouTube. Once again, meet people where they are. You create this one piece of content and go wherever the people are. The thing that frustrates me sometimes is because I'm watching people trying to grow these these podcasts on YouTube hustling backwards.
Speaker 3: That's a video, it's not even a podcast of video.
Speaker 2: Shows and then look how big breakfast club is, and you know what it's like to be flagged or have shit like bro, they literally can stop what's going on, and you cannot scale a business that way.
Speaker 1: You cannot scale a business that way. What I would want to see people do is, if you are gonna start your podcast video wise, yo, every ten to fifteen minutes, you should be saying, hey, make sure you go check us out on the audio.
Speaker 2: Make sure you listen to the audios, you know, and you know what, I think. I got this trick from Andrew Tait, and I'm gonna put this out for the youngsters. This is a very slick trick that he does. So they take a long interview and they do an ad right, and it's literally this fast. My name is, my name is Andrew Tait. I represent a company called such and such. I'm there to talk to you free available to speak to you on such and such. Back and instantly go back. I'm be saying you do that, yeah, but that's what I'm saying. So I get that. I got that from them. Now is too long. What I noticed he's doing is understanding that the viewers spain is very short, so it comes in literally.
Speaker 4: For five seconds and bounces back out.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: It's almost like it's not interrupting what's happening.
Speaker 1: Man, You're gonna reach more people with audio. You know why because people spend more time in their cars. You know, people spend more time commuting in the trains or on buses. When people working out, they throw you know, a podcast on or an audible book. I got to actually sit down and look, yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Now, even if you debate the fact that you reach more people on YouTube, because some people trying to have that debate debate, I just think the business lives in audio.
Speaker 1: I think I think the business lives in the audio, and I still think you reach more people audio wised. But by the way, what about with podcast you think with with podcasting? Absolutely? Man, Look you look at Joe Rogan. Joe Rogan was doing ten million downloads.
Speaker 3: No, I'm lying eleven.
Speaker 1: He went to spot Joe Rogan was doing one hundred million downloads a month. Yes, of people listening to his podcast. Now, there would be those times where you definitely would do absolutely absolutely, But I know for a fact I've listened and still do listen to more Joe Rogan than I've actually watched YouTube video. I don't know what if the same is for Breakfast Club. I would only assume that though, because when it comes to Breakfast Club, we.
Speaker 3: Do eight million monthly listeners.
Speaker 1: We do fifteen to twenty million downloads a month on the podcast, I can only assume people are listening to us more. And don't get me wrong, We're on BET in the morning and we're still on YouTube and social media, so I'm fully aware people are watching as well. But I don't think it's anything like being in people's ears.
Speaker 2: Man. I think, and I also think you can literally handle that like different customers. I think you can handle the video watcher a certain way and audio guy certain way. I think what's happening is people are getting lazy and trying to handle both of them the same way.
Speaker 3: I don't think that they know there's a difference, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I think that these brothers and these sisters are really starting these podcasts on YouTube because they think that's where they're supposed to be starting a podcast, because.
Speaker 4: Some of them don't even get audio.
Speaker 3: Some of them don't got audio.
Speaker 1: Maybe because we haven't done a good enough job, like Drink Champs isn't a massive podcast just because of.
Speaker 3: The video exactly, It's a massive podcast because of the audio.
Speaker 2: Yes, when he was and we can speak about that, when he was over on button and speaking about whatever deal he got, that was an audio deal. He was talking an audio deal that wasn't a video deal. And so again podcasters have to pay attention to it.
Speaker 1: Was an audio deal with Black Effect. I don't I think he had a video deal with Revolt maybe I think.
Speaker 2: But when he was speaking, he said I got ten million or something. I don't know if those numbers are correct, but I know he said I got a certain number and that was just for my audio, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yea, yeah, yeah's what we paid. We would pay just for audience, what I'm saying. And it's the same thing with anybody. You know, I don't care if it's a Joe Rogan and eighty five South show or whoever.
Speaker 3: It's two different businesses.
Speaker 1: Like your audio is one business, and those Fortune five hundred companies, they're gonna spend more money advertising on those on those platforms with big audio numbers than they are, you know, gonna spend on on video. Now, maybe one day it might change or it might just be equal. People might spend just as much on video as they do audio, or you might be able to combine them and do bundles together. Some companies are doing that now, but it's not it's not the fortune five hundred.
Speaker 3: Companies, like it's the little ones.
Speaker 1: He you can you can go, I'm not gonna knock nobody, but you can say, you can go look on on the brands that these people are advertising, and you can tell who's getting the big fortune.
Speaker 3: Five hundred joints.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, yes, And that's that's so important.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's so important. Identified because what does your podcast want? Do you think more money is spent on ads for podcasts in the video space or a for podcasts in the audio space audio.
Speaker 3: That's a fact.
Speaker 2: Again, this is something else they need to know, because who is really getting ads for video Like you can warrant an AD for audio podcasts way before you can get an ad for video podcasts. In regards to numbers.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say it's that link I sent you the other day. Okay.
Speaker 1: This was an article that Variety put podcast US ad revenue projected to hit two point three billion in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Up twenty five percent.
Speaker 1: And then that's what YouTube going down. And also YouTube going this is these numbers. I'm talking about audio numbers. What I'm saying how much they're spending on audio.
Speaker 2: So they pay attention. And again that's where YouTube going down. And also YouTube just did another trick. Again, always watch industry. When YouTube does something like this, it means something's coming. So what YouTube just done is lowered the standards for monetization. So now they even make it easy for you to make money because what they're gonna end up doing is lowering how much you're being paid. So I think YouTube in the next eight months year is gonna see another dip in what they're being paid. They've already seen drastic dips in like making one hundred and fifty thousand a month. Now you make eighty thousand a month. Now it's down to fifty k a month, stays about right there for six months. Now you at twenty eight k, goes back up to thirty two. You can't scale a.
Speaker 1: Business that what's this line hold on? This is another article because it's with me and me and Loan be doing. We be sharing information, we be sharing articles. I'm gonna read this other article I sent you because I don't want to misquote nothing.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, hold on.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: This was a Time magazine article that talked about how a lot of people, a lot of YouTube creators are walking away, all right. That comes from a split of advertising revenue earned by creators videos, as well as other options such as direct gifting and paid descriptions. YouTube takes about thirty percent of any income from its creators. For the vast majority of creators there, cut doesn't add up to much if they're hoping to make a living ad it. A major twenty sixteen academic study suggests ninety six point five percent of YouTubers don't make enough money from AD revenue alone to break the US poverty line. In two thousand and eight, just two point eight percent of YouTube channels in the sample linked to an external fundraising platform. So what they're basically saying is people are using their YouTube channels to fundraise, to fundraise old the other thing the fundraise into the fundraise, doing other things like direct gifting, like giving people things, giveaways and Paige subscriptions, you know what I mean. So you're not making just money off ad revenue alone. You loan did you hear what I said?
Speaker 3: Yo? Ninety six.
Speaker 1: Of YouTubers don't make enough money from ad revenue alone to break the US poverty line.
Speaker 2: And think about that, and what what for me to go to one of these companies and get an AD for my podcast? For video? The numbers have to damn it be astonishing. They're not. They because they don't understand value. They don't understand really what they're looking at. So they're just looking at a hundred thousand, two hundred thousand views. Okay, we'll give you a little something to speak on it. But audio you cannot only warrant a check for ad for very for for less. You will also that AD also converts better because the listener has a different relationship than the viewer. In my opinion, again, the viewer to me is not the customer.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying, And that's that's what that's that's how I feel about it now. I also say this with YouTube, I think half of it is people are addicted to cloud chasing. And I don't think cloud chasing is on is just cater to one level, like you gotta be broke to cloud chase. I think you can be rich in cloud Chase. I think you can be successful in cloud Chase. You cannot understand the business and not even knowing you cloud Chase, I was.
Speaker 1: Looking for the actual number of how much more an audio ad is worse than a video ad. I assume, yeah, I understand in the conversation.
Speaker 2: But and so it's like, when I look at the cloud Chase, I'm saying, damn it, it feels like that we're more attracted the video because we'd rather be seen than heard.
Speaker 1: It's a drug. Like to sit here and act like fame is not a drug.
Speaker 3: It absolutely is.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't matter if you got one hundred thousand people listening a one thousand or one hundred. That one hundred people can gas you the fuck up. That hundred people will be in your social media comments telling you that you.
Speaker 3: The shit, You're the biggest thing in the world.
Speaker 1: Those hundred comments will go on your YouTube and tell you how much they love you and how much better you are. And this person and that person. You can't get nine people at the roost.
Speaker 2: Piggy in.
Speaker 1: Man Man Listen act is good at what he does. Lou, I mean, we we We're gonna always probably agree to disagree on that.
Speaker 3: But the brother's entertaining.
Speaker 2: Man that it means nothing to me. This crack heare is on the corner, entertained and they're running business.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: But I think, I think, I think what actor has done as far as turning streaming. I don't want to say he turned into a business, but he's learned how to get money from it.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. He's he's been He's been able.
Speaker 1: To take what he has built on online and been able to like damn, turn it into licensing deals like he damn they got a license and deal with rum.
Speaker 4: He's doing great in regards to that.
Speaker 2: But I'm looking at it like this, yo, I don't if I got the big kitchen, like, let's cook me a five course meal, I don't want to go into big kitchen and cook the noodles.
Speaker 3: He might, he might have learned those other courses though, But.
Speaker 2: What's taking so long when you've had this audience for ten years? I mean, what you've done, Listen, I've gauged the market. Look what you've He's running alongside you Button shows Vlad like he's running alongside you guys. He's number two on the list, dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna be honest with you. I don't feel like I'm running beside.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. I'm saying in the in the process, he's not.
Speaker 2: I'm saying perception wise when they say I'm talking about the list, look at the list. He got you, Joe acted. They got him in these conversations, and I'm saying, Okay, what.
Speaker 3: Can I want to say something about that list real quick? Since you brought it up.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, like, you know you got like let's say, I think it was the Hollywood Reporter. The Hollywood Reporter, they had the top thirty five most powerful people in New York.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Last year, I'm on that list of course, right, and they did a profile piece on me in there. Thank thank you to the Hollywood Reporter. Then like Media Eye, Media eight had the top. And by the way, when you go look at the Hollywood Reporter list, you can pull it up yourself and look and see who's on that.
Speaker 3: Matter of fact, let's do that. Let's do that. We got time, Yeah, you got time. I'm here. This is the part I've been waiting on. Oh look, I got it right here.
Speaker 1: Look the Hollywood Reporter thirty five Most Powered People in New York Media twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Charlemagne you know read some of the names before that, though, Is that is this it? Nate?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, that's that's that's the that's the CBS Morning News team.
Speaker 3: So that's Gail King.
Speaker 2: I know Gail for sure, she's power.
Speaker 3: Now who now, who's after that? Samantha B.
Speaker 2: Samantha B? You got uh people? You got the cast of the view, right, you got when you come up on Mynes. After that, you got r. R. E. Burkeoff even cole Bert.
Speaker 3: Well, listen. Ari E. Burkeoff is the CEO of Liontree.
Speaker 1: Lion Tree is a boutique investment bank of choice for media and telecommunications. I guess you got Natan Gail King. Uh, then you got me right, but charlamage to god?
Speaker 3: But who else? You got?
Speaker 1: People like uh, Agnes Chu, David Remnick and Anna Wintour on this list?
Speaker 3: You got Stephen Cobat and John Batiste.
Speaker 1: You got Rashida Jones, who's the uh you know, president of NBC ms NBC.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Like, you got people like that.
Speaker 4: That's power.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now there's another list. Of media. Eye. You can look that one of us. Look at Look.
Speaker 2: We're gonna make sure to put both in the on screen. We're dealing with facts and not feelings.
Speaker 1: Look up, Look up Media HEIGHTE Top one hundred News Personalities News.
Speaker 2: Yeah, personalities news media twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, most what is it?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Media?
Speaker 1: He It's most influential in news media twenty twenty two. It's one hundred people. All you gonna see on this list is the Sean Hannity's of the World, the Bill O'Reilly's, the Henderson Cooper's, Don Lemons. Why my black ass number two? Chris Christie, Why my black ass number twenty three on this list?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm trying to tell you.
Speaker 3: This is news.
Speaker 1: I'm not a news personality I do. I'm a hip hop media personality. But they got me on this list. So now the Complex list, they got me number three. Here's the reason I don't care about none of those rankings, Loan, as long as I'm on a little bit of all of those lists, I must be doing something right right, and.
Speaker 3: Plus I don't. That's not what I do it for.
Speaker 1: It's an honor when anybody recognizes you and they what it.
Speaker 2: Is you think. I think it's a disappointment because they're adding to the infusion. Eper see, because power when we identify to again some people, all they have is the information and the driplets that's left out there. So when they are coming up with their template as to what power looks like, and you have someone at number two who hasn't really built anything, and you got the number three guy on mediaites top influence you in news? And also on what was the other one.
Speaker 1: The Hollywood Reporter top what is it most powerful people in New York Media twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Help me understand?
Speaker 3: Now, I get what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Because look, but here's the thing, like when you look at the Hollywood Reporter, right, And that's why when I did the Vlad TV interview, I was asking, well, what defines power? Because when you go look at the things they break down, right, they say, I'm the host of the Breakfast Club and the Gods Honest Truth, that's my talk show. We can get into that too, will we will, But it just basically breaks down a lot of different things that I do. Breakfast Club, Brilliant Idiots, TV show, multiple best selling books, a comics imprint, which which you know, that's another one scripted development. And I even do it create the part. I even do a video series for the Hollywood Reporter. So it's like, when people have these conversations about you know, what is power, I'll just be asking like, okay, well define it for me in hip hop. Because the other thing I like about these lists, it's executives on this list. It's people that actually cause shots. It's people that can actually get you in check. It's people that can put you in that position.
Speaker 2: That's the point when you have someone who is supposed to be a credible publication confusing our culture in that way. Because podcasting is an undeveloped market, that's right, it's developing, and so everyone is looking for marching orders. These young guys are developing in the dog Now Joe what Joe did, and we're going to get into him with Patron.
Speaker 4: That's a model.
Speaker 2: That's a model you have to literally it's a hard model to craft under if you don't have their fan base right. You can't start a podcast and say I don't want any audio ads, I'm gonna go all Patreon, and then it's gonna take you a while to build that up. But hey, he done whatever he's done. But for you to have made what you've made in audio, to be the person that's been influential with all these checks and these these assists and these Andrew shows and these you know, tax stones and all these other pods and different people that came through you, I think it adds to the confusion of the youngster saying, oh, well damn they got they got act At too. I don't I don't mind that though, Yeah you don't, cause you again, it's not you, It ain't you. It's the people on the other side. He's taking that and saying, well, hey, we're gonna do what act doing like, instead of saying, no, we're gonna do with Charlotte. See how Charlotte doing that breakfast club?
Speaker 1: I think I think I think you should look at everybody on that list. I think, well, how many people on complexes?
Speaker 2: Twenty Yeah, yeah, twenty foe my biggest I didn't have any issue with the Complexes.
Speaker 1: I just felt like they left a lot of people off. I felt like you should have been on it. Yeah, I felt like BLEKEV should have been on there. I felt like a DJ head and Chuck Dizzle what they're doing with homegrown radio. They should have been on there, Like, there's just a lot of people I feel like they missed. Yes, you know, but I think you should be studying everybody that's on that list. You should be looking at everybody on that list and looking at what all of those people do.
Speaker 3: The other thing I didn't, I wouldn't have done on that list.
Speaker 1: You can't put under the people that's already home on that list, right, you know, that's one of my favorite jay Z records.
Speaker 3: I'm already home.
Speaker 1: So many people are literally in the Hall of Fame already. Angie Martinez in the Hall of Fame, already, swaying the Hall of Fame already, Big Boy in the Hall of Fame already. Hell I'm in the Radio Hall of Fame, Angela in the Radio Hall. Some people you can't you know, should have been on that list, but they those are we the ogs. Like I'd rather see a list of everybody that's new in the space.
Speaker 2: I'd rather see a right list. I don't give a damn, Like, just get it right, if more than anything, because again that's what I'm always about. But the only way to get it right you got to actually base it on something other.
Speaker 4: That's what that was.
Speaker 1: The other thing that the list was like, it was it was big. Don't seem like noise even the way they were describing people, and they misuse power. So you said power and based it on noise.
Speaker 2: Because if it's power rankings, this list goes different. If it's true power, if we're really talking power, this list doesn't go like that. And we've we've we've given them enough because I don't think the list warrants that much from from us, right.
Speaker 1: I appreciate being on all the lists. Anybody that wants to salute me, I don't care. I'm twenty three on media and I'm I don't even know what I was top seven on most power people in Media in New York.
Speaker 3: I don't That's not what I do it for.
Speaker 1: But I enjoyed the conversation, right because because I like, I'm the person that likes.
Speaker 3: To debate stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I'll sit here with you and tell you Steph Curry the number two greatest players.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. Whether you agree or now, that is my opinion.
Speaker 1: So I don't have no problem, you know, being in those those conversations. But I just I do want to say. I do like what act is built and I think that.
Speaker 4: What has he been? This is what I can't never get an answer for.
Speaker 1: I think he's built a name that ain't sh No, No, I'll tell you why. It is because so many celebrities are broke. That is true, but he's not because not yet, Because because he's been able to take that name and go get a check from spot and I can give you And by the way, the Spotify deal was slick.
Speaker 4: That was a that was a high jet.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you why the Spotify deal was slick because he didn't have no podcast. He didn't have no history, no podcast resume at all. It's not like it's just what he's Listen, this is what he's been able to do. This is what I'm saying. He's the greatest trick ever in hip hop media. He's been able to finest bags out of nothing. Because my thing is, it's not just noise.
Speaker 2: I ain't gonna say nothing nothing is too It could could come off like it's nothing happening. So there's something happening, but it's noise, not value.
Speaker 3: And I will tell you what I call that.
Speaker 1: I don't I'm like, I don't be asking about to be tell me about that deal you just signed, young man.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I want, I want to I want I want to know what.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the Rumbo situation, like I need to know, oh those plays?
Speaker 3: Because all right, so what's up with Spotify?
Speaker 2: Let's get back to the building the name, because I really want to see what people are getting from this young brother. What has he done? I really don't understand. And tell me if I'm not receiving it right and be like lone, I literally laid it out.
Speaker 4: You're just not receiving one of them for me.
Speaker 1: For me when I was because I've been knowing act for like thirteen years now. I mean I knew Act when he was going to think Rutgers. Yes, like you know, one of his first interview ever as you.
Speaker 3: Was with me.
Speaker 1: And that's just because I I've always just paid attention, man, And I'm never going to deny people like that's it's not my thing, right, you know. I mean I've always been that type person like you reach out to me. You tell me, I'm a young dude. I go to Rutgers. You know, I look up to what you're doing. I would love that opportunity to interview you. Why not, Like, why would does it hurt me?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And that's to grantans if nobody never told you that's some real shiit, what's some real shit?
Speaker 3: It don't hurt me to grant him that.
Speaker 1: So it's like I've always been paying attention to what he's done, giving them game, you know, along the way. And for me, all of these guys that we see now, I used to see them on at YouTube before they had tattoos on their face.
Speaker 4: And that's what the dread.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was early, and I think there's something to be said about that. There's something to be said about yo. I was there first, willing to do it, doing it, but and I like the disruption he caused. What I think has happened and we'll get to that. But what I think has happened is along the way he's picked up liquor or something, and I think effectively crashes his business when he gets on. When he gets drunk, I think he calls out people unnecessarily. I think he ruins relationships and then he tries to clean it up when he's not drunk, like he I was just on twitch. Man, it really didn't, but that effectively, in my opinion, is fucking the business up. And I'm saying he had access to this big kitchen with the best grills and the flat stove tops, and he chose to use the microwave. That's fact and so and so. That's why these conversations are like important exactly.
Speaker 1: Somebody could look at me in twenty thirteen to twenty fourteen and think I'm crash out too.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, but you were always in position and he is. He's somewhat in position. I think Spotify may pull out on him, right because I don't see the value with the part. I think the part is lack luster for what they've probably paid him, right in my opinion, I don't see it.
Speaker 3: But he got the bag already. That's what I'm saying. That he got the bag and he.
Speaker 1: Still is able to utilize you know, social media and YouTube.
Speaker 3: He'll he'll be cool for the time being.
Speaker 1: But what I would challenge him or anybody else to do, is you gotta build that thing outside of social That's what I'm saying. You gotta build that thing outside of YouTube. You gotta build that thing outside of streaming. All of the time you should build that thing and just use those platforms to.
Speaker 2: Push And that's what I'm saying, that you've built, and I'm saying you haven't. You haven't utilized the formula of the people they comparing you to.
Speaker 1: And he's and he's investing his money in the right things. I mean, at least from what I can see.
Speaker 2: Like, I know, he got his own his own buildings like that, and that's a good I'm saying. I'm not I'm not saying he's stupid. I'm not saying he doesn't know what to do with his money. I'm saying that exactly get it. And I'm saying, in my opinion, what he's doing, I can plug anyone from my neighborhood in that place, not how he's talking, because I also believe he does know how to talk.
Speaker 4: Again, this isn't hate.
Speaker 2: This is literally saying, bro, the value that you have isn't what you are warranted in the culture. And I think that a lot of that is kept. And I'm saying that because I believe he come up and understands the Internet in some weird way, right, And I'll get to that at some other point.
Speaker 4: But I don't see I don't know, man, I don't. I don't see the value.
Speaker 1: I see the value I do. And like I said, we don't know where it's going to go.
Speaker 2: You know, even when he bit into the sixty nine thing, to me, that so to me, he changed his business model when he when he grab hold of six nine and said I'm gonna be with you like I'm gonna be your guy, effectively alienated a lot of the other people who would have came and sat down on this platform.
Speaker 1: I think six nine had a lot of people confused though, just like Trump had a lot of people confused. Remember that's not never had me confused, not you, But that's that whole era, right, Like, if you think about it, you go back to that time, like everybody was loud and boisterous. You go back and listen to order, And I was telling everybody all this shit gonna crashing burn, the Trump's gonna crash and burn. Six nine is gonna crashing bruh. I was saying that, go back and listen. I was saying, all of this shit going crash and burn because that type of shit is not sustainable. Yes, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: See I'm looking at but but just peep it out so academics. When he starts his platform with Spotify, this is how I think he's thinking. All Right, I got this deal with Spotify, I got one of the most humongous hip hop platforms. I'm gonna funnel my relationship from social media over to my exclusive contract and build my catalog and re up and get a big bag. This is what I'm I'm thinking. It's a it's an underground railroad. He's about to run like we say, you use these other platforms. Hey, I'm funneling y'all to overhear where I'm adding the real value, where I'm really creating the value at not posting you here and do it.
Speaker 4: I'm funneling y'all.
Speaker 3: And is he behind the paywall?
Speaker 4: Yes, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: See, that could be the disconnect too, right, because a lot of times I've seen a lot of great podcasts get behind the paywall and they lose their audience because, you know, especially that fickle Internet audience, they're not gonna pay for what they used to get.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not pay it's not a paywall, but it's an exclusive deal where they have to listen to it on Spotify. So that doesn't have to pay, right, And that's what I'm saying. So it wasn't a situation where they had to pay. It's just be available over here where we are, right. And I think he could have easily done it had he not locked in with six ' nine in that way. I think all the rappers would have came with him. They would have said, yo, act but just post.
Speaker 1: Me still getting mad interviews though, well, who I seen him do the pnb Rock one, you know, the little Dirky just did.
Speaker 2: Dirk did that. In my opinion, you know, because of the young boy thing. Dirk is a calculated individual. I think Dirk thought that out and said, all right, I'm gona ahead crash this relationship out with you and young boy. Right, I'm gonna go ahead and do this interview and put you put that relation. Because think about the fickleness of that. Like, I've rolled with young boy for all this time, he's been one of my best guys, and then I flip on him and go get with this guy, and then I go interview Dirt, and then I get Dirt out of there and go interview his job. It's like, yo, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 1: And that just gave me a headache, That's what I'm saying. But I will say I'm gonna get you in act to talk. But more importantly, man, I just I just think it's room for I think it's a lot of room for growth there, you know, because to your point, he does have an audience.
Speaker 2: He has one of the biggest he should have. If not, he can't do what you do because of the radio thing. Probably can't do what Joe did because Joe has a little audience that will kind of follow him here and there a little bit.
Speaker 4: But act, what have he done?
Speaker 2: I think, Oh, he got a name, you know, I know niggas, he's all these niggas got named.
Speaker 1: But I think he's done a lot as far as like uh int, he's busy, people like getting a lot of new artists at least be That's that's why I look at He's introduced me to a lot of a lot.
Speaker 4: Of many years ago. This is That's what I'm saying ten years ago.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying he's done it consistently because that's who I follow to get at last artist. I don't know who's the last person introduced to whoever might be on this paper, but this is what I'll say.
Speaker 3: I will say that.
Speaker 1: You know, I just think hip hop is a whole has a glass ceiling, Yes, and we don't realize.
Speaker 3: It until you hit your hand on you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So, yes, I want to see everybody I watched y'all and not come in like that. I come in saying nope, Cee, I got you come and hey, you come over here.
Speaker 4: I got football basketball.
Speaker 1: You should talk to whoever your interests call you to talk to the reason I sit down with Judy Bloom because my whole life I've been reading Judy Bloom. My mom had me reading Judy Bloom books when I was in second in third grade. The reason I can sit down with the Honorable Minute the Louis Fire cons because my dad was making me sit down and watch minutester fri Khnks when I was a jit.
Speaker 3: Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like the reason why I can sit down and have a conversation with Bishop TD Jakes are Sarah Jake Roberts any of these people because I watched them and I've watched.
Speaker 3: Them for years, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like this ain't I'm not doing things just because I just want to have diversity. No, these are people that my interests actually lean towards, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean, as long as you do that, I think you could be effect.
Speaker 1: I don't like anybody because I've been in that space while I was a character. I don't like people that I have a conversation with. And you know, we were going back and forth and I'm like, there's no way you can possibly believe it. Shit, And then when the conversation's over, they telling me shit, like, you know, I just got to do that, you know what I mean, I gotta do that because you know, there's a there's a whole other side. You can't play both sides of the Internet. That's literally when people be doing, they playing both sides of the Internet. They're trying to cover all bases. They want the internet that agrees with them to agree with them, and they like it.
Speaker 2: And if you like, when you do that, nobody spends nothing.
Speaker 3: Nobody spends nothing.
Speaker 2: You don't want viewers, you won't custom on. They have to separate this, and our culture has because of the cloud chasing thing. And also I need you guys to understand out there all podcasts of young niggas people on to come up that. You have to do some mental hygiene and not feed your ego. You have to put yourself in a position to understand it. Ego is stolen, man, that confidence has earned.
Speaker 1: You know how many conversations I have with people about content and they sit around trying to figure out ways to go viral, and I'm just sitting there like that is not where your mind should be at, even when somebody tells me things like you know I want to get I'm doing this so we can get coverage. No, man, create good content. That's it, nothing more than nothing less. Everything else is I promise you everything else to sell itself. You're already on the block. That's why we build all these blocks, exactly.
Speaker 3: It's a block. Block.
Speaker 1: Fact, it's a block the company me and Kevin hark Gott with Audible SBH, that's a block. All we want on these blocks is the best possible product. We already got the block.
Speaker 2: Yes, So don't get you the attention and everything else you mean, just give me the content, man, sir. And I think I think with me, I think it gives people light because I ain't did no cloud chase, I ain't did no calling out a rappers, no exposing of this or that. I've literally just had conversations about information, and if I do say something to somebody, it's like, I don't think that made sense, man, because if you could, you might could have went this way, done it like this, and it would have been worth that. Like it's like I look at things like that and I believe truly because there's a crop of young podcasts behind me that say, we let you know what loon is saying because nobody's talking about this kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And that's when I started paying attention, Like you used to tag me and everything, and your name looks so unique, like.
Speaker 3: What is a fog lord?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I mean fly get flown over?
Speaker 3: Oh hell, I'm like what does that mean?
Speaker 1: I just used to always see you tag me, and then when I started listening, you were given commentary on things that were going on in the podcast based in the podcast world. But I just be liking the gyms you off of my life as well, you know what I mean, And that's what made me be like, oh man, that that brother and dad got something to say and I let you.
Speaker 3: I have no problem letting you know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, you let a nigga. Know we talk all the day and every day you talk, you know, and it was information. And you know what I'm saying, I love that, bro, because I need that. Like where I come from, I come after darkness. So I'm telling you, I tell you even want go back, going back a little bit and we're gonna get back into the business. But going back a little bit into the confidence thing. Have you ever dealt with imposta syndrome?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't get to a place to worth he until December of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: But that's only because you know, well, number one, you can't be in in pasta.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 1: You can't get in posta syndrome when you're being in I pasta. So when I was playing the character of myself, I didn't get it. But when I came back down to reality, you know what I mean, and started looking around at everything that I was doing and everything I was building, it did start to feel like, man, this ain't this ain't me. And a lot of times too, man like when you get in the if you're getting attacked, like you know, like people are literally trying to take you out, like on some real like you'd be like.
Speaker 3: Damn is this you know?
Speaker 1: Go be how I go out and tell you re established that No until you hear God say, bro, you you're divine protect Yes, yes, what you tell me you like you've been through worse, You're gonna be fine, like relaxed, like you're gonna be You're gonna be fine. And so December twenty nineteen, and I remember bitshr TDJS told me that because I remember having a conversation with him about it during the interview. That's why I bringing them up, because it was during an interview and we got on worthiness, and I remember him saying to me, you know, most people who've been like abused as kids, right, because I always talk about you know, the older woman used touch on. He said, most people who've been abused as kids, you know, it's hard for them to get to a place of worthy.
Speaker 3: They never feel, you know, worthy.
Speaker 1: And for me, that situation hit really hard because I remember when I stopped letting that lady do that, she would call me ugly.
Speaker 3: And tell me I got a big shit cut a nigga, that's right.
Speaker 1: So for me, it became like people pleasing and there's been points I'm gonna ask you about that. The points in my life where I'm like, you know what I'm going to do, what this person wants me to.
Speaker 2: Do, not the disappointment to disappoint. I hate that, you know, because.
Speaker 4: I got that urge as a cancer.
Speaker 2: Like I catch myself now even in interviews, even though I don't agree with everything, but the idea, like I so, my understanding a lot of times dictates my action.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So if I'm in an interview and it's that silence, I may I may you know, I may like when you're talking, I may nod and you may not even got through it yet. But I'm trying to give you what I think I need. As you know, it's like I don't want you to thank you here alone or so I know what it's like on that island where you talk and like nobody's into its right. You got to survive through that. But it's almost like that. That's where I see my people please her at but I'll I'll be noan like this and then somebody say something like nah, that's not right, but but I wasnad and I'm trying to understand that about myself. What the fuck is that? And why am I not like, I don't get it, bro.
Speaker 3: Now I'm with you on that too.
Speaker 2: I be thinking, why the fuck am I noding?
Speaker 1: And I think the nodding because I do that too. I think the nodding is just the acknowledgement that I'm actually listening, because when I'm listening, I get quiet, so I might just stay at you, but I want you to know I'm I'm not I agree with you, right, and that's what I'm saying, But it'll come off sometimes that, especially on camera, I'm noticing, right, And now I got to be cognizant of like we'll on camera certain things, and so I can't be gnawing at something, you know, sitting next to some of these white people and they saying some shit and I'm gnawing in the clip cut and they didn't get to get my response, and it looks like I'm agreeing right, And I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's people pleaser.
Speaker 2: But I've been reading up on imposter syndrome because I've been trying to identify what's going on with me because as I come from.
Speaker 1: Man, you you fresh out the street, that's what.
Speaker 3: It is you.
Speaker 1: You you can still smell the block on you.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, now you're in front of these microphones, probably a person that's used to not showing their face too much, and now you're still staying out the way.
Speaker 3: But you in the way. People know your name.
Speaker 1: Now you walking down the street, somebody call your name now, you like, but they ain't calling you because they are op ain't calling you because show bro enjoyed the show.
Speaker 2: God, it's fucking me up because I'm like, like, I even saw a couple of commings yesterday, like saying, yo, Loon should have did two or three days so you.
Speaker 4: Can get it in his bag.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, yo, y'all got to understand, I'm a technique guy more than anything, so my first time doing something is gonna be more soulss like paying attention. Yeah, what's going on here?
Speaker 1: You know what space you familiar with? Like you breakfast club, I mean, brilliant it is you smoked it smoked, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But this is so important and it's BT and it's on your face card and I'm saying, let's just make sure that we in rotation like this.
Speaker 1: I did the breakfast club thing because I want people to see right, And I want people that know you to be like, oh shit.
Speaker 2: And they did it. That's what they doing still, and they're like, yo, breakfast club, because bro, it's been a short amount of time, Like it ain't need I've been going like two years strong. I mean, I started parting a long time ago and stop. But I've been going like two years strong. Every week clips, every day, this and that. And it's like for certain people that's a fast movement right in part. And it's like, yo, man, you wish Charlamagne you over here? You yeah, like he is the he's fucking going. And I need the youngsters to know consistency, networking, but most important valuable.
Speaker 1: Content intent over intent over content, Yes, like you should you should have intention, You should have intentional content.
Speaker 3: Like y'all just do shit to do it. Don't just make noise.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, don't just set yourself on motherfucking fire and think that you're gonna get attention. That's what That's the conversation I've been having on a brillian is the past few weeks. That's what I'm trying to tell people, Like I feel like it's a bunch of people doing the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's it's and it's old it's ship.
Speaker 1: It's old ship that I used to do, so I can recognize that they revamping ship. And I'm telling y'all that ship has a short self, like there's a ceiling to that ship. You're going to bump your motherfucking head. You know what I'm saying with you?
Speaker 2: With us like people like me, I've studied like you have all my life, like all different sides, like I would sit up and watch seeing then and don't give a damn. It's just about technique, how they okay, how they transitioning in and out of conversations and what's that word mean? You look that word? What the fuck was?
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna tell you something else speaking about all of that that you know, uh, you know, seeing things that don't pertain to you and everything. The one thing I used to always tell act all the time, and I'm sure Acta said this. I used to always say, find your own voice. Don't be a secondarate version of nobody. Don't imitate me, don't imitate this person like, don't do nothing, find your own. When you find your own voice, you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Be out here.
Speaker 1: You think he's done that polutely, and that's why I think his shit has gone up, you know, because I remember when he was. You could go back and listen, and you can listen and you'll be like, oh, okay, he trying to sound like this person. He's trying to sound like that person. He absolutely found his own ways. And that's what I'm trying to tell everybody. Now, find your own voice. I'm watching these people. Number one, you hustling backwards because you're launching your podcast on YouTube. But then number two, you doing what everybody else is doing the same and listen. Maybe that's all fault. Maybe that's my fault exactly because I let him a scrape. But I'm telling you, why would you want to be the version of me. I'm telling you you're gonna bump your head at instead of being a to day I'm telling you that.
Speaker 3: You can fly.
Speaker 2: Do you think that they think? Do you think that they say, man, Charlotte just don't want me to get big like he got big? Is it some of that