Speaker 1: What is up everybody? Welcome to the Good Viest Charge Podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. We have a special show today, so as always, my name is Stephen and I am the host, but we got to start with mister Daniel Popper from The Athletic who covers the Chargers. Daniel, thanks for joining us today, man, how are you doing today?
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. I'm doing great. There's a there's a different air about the podcast now. I just I feel like I was there when you guys were getting this thing off the ground, and I just I just want to say congratulations to you guys for for everything that you've accomplished. I know you got both you guys and everyone involved with the podcast. You guys work really hard, and I just I'm grateful that I've been able to be a little piece of it as you guys.
Speaker 3: Have worked your way up.
Speaker 2: But I just wanted to say, off the top, congratulations to everyone involved with the podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you man, sincerely. That's that's very appreciated. You know, we've uh kind of covered the charters around the same time frame. You know, you obviously coming over from Jacksonville, and you know, so you were one of our first guests on the show, and we appreciate your time always and today, you know, making time for us after the Charters Charity golf tournament, so you know you were over there covering.
Speaker 3: That and we're here.
Speaker 1: Did you hit or did you just cover? Now?
Speaker 2: We just I wrote around on a golf cart and watched all of the players swinging their clubs. Well, I didn't have to swing a club a single time and avoided any embarrassment involved with that.
Speaker 1: So that's good. That's the best way to play golf.
Speaker 3: Something. Take yourself, not playing and only observing that. I agree.
Speaker 1: Fun stuff, man, fun stuff. Tyler's here as well as always Tyler, what's that man? How are you doing today?
Speaker 4: Doing very well and just talking about everything about the podcast and whatnot. I have to mention Argin here and his big news today. He's a football analytics intern with the New York Football Jets.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't a guess that happening so fast because we we just asked him two years ago, hey do you want to make some analytics videos for us?
Speaker 5: And now he's working with the New York Jets.
Speaker 4: So not bad, and I appreciate him for being a part of our journey as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big shout out to Arjen crushing it out there. We're very excited for him on that next step as well. So we have a fun show planned for you guys today and excited to have pop A on with us for the whole show. Before we get started, as always, we do have to clarify that Tyler and I are fans first and foremost, we are independent content creators for the Chargers. We do not share the opinions of the organization, and the things that we express today are not reflective of that. Instead, they are our own opinions first and foremost, So excited to dive in today. Before we get started on the meat of our show, we're going to talk to mister Popper about some things that came out from the Chargers Charity golf course today. First and foremost with the news that the Chargers have ongoing conversation with Justin Herbert around his contract extension. Of course, that's nothing necessarily super up to date, but you know, I understand why those questions have to be continued to be asking. So I just wanted to talk about it because we have Popper here who's done a great job covering that potential number and what it's going to look like. So we've obviously seen some extensions from other quarterbacks since your last article about Justin Herbert's contract extension, most notably obviously Jalen Hurts from this same quarterback class. So, Daniel, where are you at in terms of potential time frame here and in terms of like, has the number maybe changed for you at all over the last couple of months since we've had those other contracts come out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wrote a little bit about the Herbert contract situation after the Herst contract came out. I think I think I increased my average per year by maybe like two to three million. I mean, it's going to be in that you know, fifty one million dollars in average annual value.
Speaker 3: That's based where the market's at right now.
Speaker 2: I think the bigger discussion is how much you know fully guaranteed money at signing there will be that's different than total guarantees.
Speaker 3: Those are two separate things.
Speaker 2: Fully guaranteed signing means that's the money that he is going to get regardless of what happens, and so you know it's going to be in that fifty one ish range, you know, I think I had it at one hundred and thirty five million fully guaranteed at signing. I didn't sort of stuck with that after the Hurts contract, So it's going to be I think what I ended up is with six years, three hundred and five million, you know, one hundred thirty five million fully guaranteed somewhere in that ballpark.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, listen, they're they're they're negotiating the contract.
Speaker 2: These are very very difficult contracts to negotiate because it's a lot of money and a lot of different factors at play. Obviously, you know, when you're also considering that, you know, how you structure the contract goes a long way toward how you can spend and allocate your resources elsewhere on the roster. You know, in Patrick Mahomes's case, he has a roster bonus every year that that can get converted into signing b which gives the chiefs flexibility year over year.
Speaker 3: So like is that a factor in it?
Speaker 2: So it's very complex, but like he's gonna get paid, you know, and so like the contracts are ongoing. That's where it stands, and and we'll see what happens. But like I don't think there's a whole lot of variability in terms of.
Speaker 3: What's gonna happen here.
Speaker 2: Like the conclusion is set, like the Chargers are going to pay Justin Herbert. He is going to be the quarterback of this team for a long, long, long long time in the Chargers case, preferably for his entire career. And it's just a matter of ironing out that contract. That the talks are going to be ongoing, you know, for until it gets signed, Like they like they've opened up contract negotiations and they're and they're working towards that. So nothing really new there. The big for me, like the bigger Justin news was like that he's gonna be participating in team drows this week. Like that to me is like much more important than than the contract situation, because the contract is gonna get done, Like and I am still of the opinion that like it will get done this offseason. Like I would be really surprised if he if he if he played the year and without without a new deal done. Not saying it's impossible, but it would really surprise me because like, you know what the situation is, Like, there's not a whole lot that can change, Like the Chargers want him here justin wants to be here.
Speaker 3: The market is what it is.
Speaker 2: You have to pay him what the market says, and there's obviously going to be negotiations over the nitty gritty of the deal.
Speaker 3: But I think him getting back on the field.
Speaker 2: And team drills is a huge deal considering, you know, the fact that they had laborm surgery in January and we have not seen him participate in team drills yet this offseason.
Speaker 4: What seems to be the workload for him heading into those team drills. Is it going to be, hey, you're out there, so we're good to go, or is it more like a managed workload at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the way he described it today is that there's still like they're still working through like some stability stuff with the shoulder, and so, like, you know, it's just going to be a natural progression. So don't think they're going to throw him out there and he's going to like have you know, sixteen to twenty reps, Like I think it'll be. They'll ease him back in and it'll be a couple reps and then a little bit more and then a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Just gauging sort of how he feels with the shoulder and.
Speaker 2: Everything, but you know, currently in line to be participating training camp. This was a pretty big step for me personally, because you know, if you go through OTA's and mini camp and you don't see him participate in team drills, there's obviously something in the back of your mind that's like, okay, like what's going to happen at the start of training camp.
Speaker 3: I think it'll be great for him to get some team drills in.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not full full speed, it's only seven on seven, but just get some competitive team drill reps in so that like heading into training camp, it's not like those are his first reps of the off season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got some new toys to play with this time around, so definitely needs to start building some chemistry there. Just in terms of time frame, I'm obviously you seem pretty confident that this gets done before the season starts. Is this more of a Derwin Keenan situation in terms of like the timeframe. I don't know if Justin's going to do any of the holding in stuff, but I would be surprised there. But is this something you expect to get done before training camp starts? Like we saw with Joey Bosa, or is this, like I said, maybe something that could drag into training camp.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's always the potential that it goes into training camp. Like, I don't think it's gonna be a situation where Justin you know, holds in. Like he's obviously under contract for this season, He's due to make what thirty million dollars next year on the fifth year option, Like you know, there's not there's not a ton of incentive for him to hold in. I think, like, I think it's gonna be similar to this is just me speculating, but I think it'll be similar to the Joey boats of situation where that goes right up until the start of camp, and then I think Justin's the type of person that would say, like, let's either get this done now or or let's wait. Like that's how I think he's gonna operate. He's going to leave it up to his agents, like he's not going to be super heavily involved in that, and he's really focused on on playing football obviously. But yeah, I like it's hard to nail down a time frame because like you know, there's not it's hard to gather like a ton of intel on sort of how how negotiations are going, because you know, not a lot of people are willing to.
Speaker 3: Share that type of information.
Speaker 2: But I think it's gonna I think it'll probably push up against training camp. I think it gets done like right around the time frame that Joey Boat has got done, which I think was like literally on report day and Joey was like in his car in the parking lot at the facility when the deal got done.
Speaker 3: I think it'll be something similar to that.
Speaker 2: You know, but even even with the Drwin deal, right like he's he's holding in you know, that deal was like structure wise, did not deviate very far during the Holden. It's not like there was some like like watershed moment during the holden where like they agreed on it. It was like, you know, effectively came down more to posturing than to anything else. So like there is a market, like it's not hard to figure out like the big picture stuff with these contracts, right Like Derwin wanted to be the highest paid safety in the league, Like there's a number that you have to get.
Speaker 3: To to make him the highest pay safety in the league.
Speaker 2: And then the rest of it is obviously the nitty gritty of the deal in terms of how it's structured and so, like you know what Justin's going to make as the next quarterback up right, Like you can figure that out. You can see the herds contract, you can go a little bit above the Hurds contract.
Speaker 3: You can see the guaranteed money.
Speaker 2: You can go a little bit above the guaranteed money, and then it just comes down to some of the nitty gritty stuff. And so you know, there's I think, you know, right up until training camp, and I would expect.
Speaker 3: It to be done right around that time frame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next question I wanted to talk about before we again we get into the larger part of our show. Lots of Quentin Johnson hype for coming out of OTA's more so than I think than usual when it comes to a first round pick. You know, obviously the last few first round picks offensive lineman and a quarterback who wasn't really getting a ton of reps because it was COVID. So this is kind of new for us, you know, with the first round pick getting this kind of hype coming out of OTAs Derwin James today kind of added to that, what do you make of the Quentin Johnson hype.
Speaker 2: Right now, Yeah, I think, yeah, I think Okay, I think it's a little bit of what you're saying. So twenty nineteen was my first year covering the team that was Jerry Tillery, first round pick. You're not going to be able to assess a defensive lineman in OTAs because they're not there's no contact, there's no pads, any of that stuff. Twenty twenty was the cover the year, no OTAs, and then you had back to back offensive lineman's taken in.
Speaker 3: The last two years and Reshn Slater and Zimon Johnson.
Speaker 2: So, like, I think part of it is that there's a first round pick on the field, there's actually doing things that you can assess and analyzed. But like I he ran a route against a saintde Samuel Junior, which anyone who reads me should be aware of because I you know, did sort of a little detailed breakdown of that play. You know, I think, like the one thing about Quentin Johnson is that everyone's aware of his physical tools, what he can do with the ball in his hands after the catch, but like he just needs some more refinement as a player, particularly as.
Speaker 3: A route runner.
Speaker 2: And and hands catching all that stuff. There's just had some drops you know last year for TCU, all that kind of stuff. But like the way he ran that route, which is a rout that he's going to be running a lot this year, right, like slants, get give them the ball in the middle of the field on the move, crossers, that type of thing. He really was able to set up a Sanda Samuel Junior with a step to the outside, cut inside and really completely fooled him And it was an outstanding route, outstanding play, And like that's jumped out to me, So like I think he might be further ahead, you know as a route runner than I certainly expected based on what I had seen from him at TCU. Obviously some of the scouting reports have come out, you know from the people that do obviously those deep dives, like our Dean Brugler at.
Speaker 3: The Athletic you know.
Speaker 2: And so that play to me really jumped out just because of how he really set Sante sanmul Junior, a guy who's played a lot of football in his career up at the line of scrimmage and you know, the quick movements and that type of thing. You know, watching him, you start to wonder, like, Okay, is he already starting to feel the effects of being around Keenan Allen every day and spending time with Mike Williams, but particularly Keenan, you know, a guy who really believes in paying it forward, you know, like really being there for the young guys.
Speaker 3: He talked about it like last week at OTA's.
Speaker 2: You wonder if he's starting to implement some of that stuff in there, you know, Josh Palmer and another like really good route runner, right, and so, like, I think there's reason to be excited.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I think a lot like first and foremost, like his athleticism and the way he moves at his size jumps out immediately. But I think you're starting to see some of those those finer details of the game and he's executing.
Speaker 3: You know, in seven on seven, in shorts in the spring.
Speaker 2: But like, I think, like there's absolutely reasons to be excited about him.
Speaker 4: I know there's all those qualifiers because yes, shorts and all that. Herbert's not out there, it's not Bill Belichick out there scheming like actual defense and doing the actual defense on game day impats, But like, how are they utilizing him currently? Does it feel like just a bit of everything, or is it, like you said, the short game it seems like with him, Yeah, there's some of that short game.
Speaker 5: I think there's a screen on.
Speaker 4: The Chargers website today that all seems like they're really pushing it either down the field or into the end zone with him. Do you feel like that's kind of how they're using him so far, just to mix of everything.
Speaker 2: What's it like, Yeah, you know, it's it's it hasn't been like a super diverse routree from what I've seen. You know, he Mike Williams hasn't been there, so it's really it's hard to gauge, like it's been Keenan, Quinton Johnson and then like Heal and DAWs have been the three receivers like working with that first team. So it's been a little bit like difficult to because Josh Palmer isn't participating because injury, Mike hasn't been there, so it's been kind of kind of hard to figure out. Like it feels like to me, he's been working primarily in that like kind of Mike Williams role as like the isolated X guy. A lot of digs, comebacks, slants, that sort of thing. I haven't seen them really push the ball downfield.
Speaker 3: To Quent Johnson.
Speaker 2: But then again, Justin Herbert isn't playing quarterback, right, And I think like one of the things that Brandon Staley talked about today with Easton Stick, for example, is that he's really learning who he is as a quarterback, right. And you know, Easton Stick does not have like elite NFL arm talent and arm strength, right, So he's peppering the ball underneath, playing the short game and utilizing what is his best skill set, which is this his brain. Like he's a very smart, intelligent quarterback, right, And so like it's hard for me to like really put a ton of stock in what he's doing where he's getting the football. You know, it'll be different once Justin's throwing it to him to really see, Okay, like how much are they gonna utilize him in the deep part of the field and those types of things. But yeah, most of what I've seen him be productive with is slants, digs, comebacks. That's where he's made most of his plays so far this year, and in OTAs you know, in shorts, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he told he told me on our show, we got to interview him and he said his favorite route is one of his favorite routes is a dig route. He loves running dig routes.
Speaker 3: So yeah, digs.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna be digs, digs, slants, comebacks, and posts, like, I think that's gonna be. Like he said to me after they drafted him, like, uh, that he's a big, big post guy, you know, so a lot of stuff, a lot of stuff inbreaking right, a lot of stuff where he can he can make one cut, get moving laterally horizontally and and then catch the ball and they could play right, Like, that's that's gonna be the way they utilize him.
Speaker 1: There we go. So some great stuff there from mister Danga Popper. Uh covering ot as again, if you are not reading and subscribing to The Athletic, definitely encourage you to go and do that. All right. So for the bulk of today's show, we had this idea to essentially do a Chargers draft. Basically, how we are looking at this is the three of us are quote unquote owners of an expansion team, and we only are taking players from the Chargers to you know, start out our draft. So each of us are gonna get ten players here to select from the Chargers roster, and that obviously means you have to take into consideration these players' ages, their contract situations, all of the above. You know, each of us theoretically have to take a quarterback in this instance as well. So whoever gets first pick, I think we know where they're going. So I did a randomizer just barely here, and Tyler, I think, gets the first pick. Tyler's gonna get the opportunity to take Justine Herbert. Daniel Popper is second, and then I will go last here, and then we're gonna snake it. So I will go third and fourth and we'll just go back and forth like that. All right, guys, let's uh, let's get started here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no big surprises on my end.
Speaker 4: I know our opinions don't always reflect those of the Chargers, but I'd say this pick would reflect the opinion of the Chargers.
Speaker 5: And I'm taking Justin.
Speaker 4: Herbert first here. I'll respect everybody else on the roster. I'll take that Justin Herbert guy.
Speaker 1: He seems to be okay, yeah, pretty decent, pretty decent, and I will pay him.
Speaker 5: He will not hold out in my.
Speaker 3: Situation either, So I love it.
Speaker 2: I will take my turn. I'm going yes, go ahead, all right, I will take Rashawn Slater.
Speaker 5: M h.
Speaker 1: He's pretty good too, pretty good too, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: All pro left tackle on a rookie deal. Sounds good to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh fully healthy as well. I've been doing a deep dive on some of Rashawn's recent film and uh yeah, that guy's pretty freaking good man.
Speaker 3: Pretty good he was. He was playing well before he got hurt last year. It was only two games, was still yeah.
Speaker 1: That Week two Chiefs game, Man, that was one of the most dominant offensive line performances I've seen of a Chargers player.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was crazy. Okay, So top two players off the board definitely would have had that same kind of thing here. Number three, though, I'm gonna go with Derwin James. I know he's not necessarily a premium position player, but I think, just you know, talent wise, you want to make sure you get a premier talent from the Chargers. And I'll make it work, you know, I'll maybe I'll play him at the edge and and you know, we'll see what happens there. So Derwin James number three for me, and then like I said, we'll snake it. So number four, let's see here Corey Linsley.
Speaker 6: Wow, Okay, So I think that Corey still has you know, two three years left of of elite center play, and I just I value the center position so much, you know, theoretically, I'm gonna have to have a younger quarterback in this regard.
Speaker 1: I don't get Justin Herbert, So I want to make sure he has the pieces around him. And I do think Corey is is that kind of a player?
Speaker 2: Steven just giving them flipping the bird to the old positional value conversation here.
Speaker 1: I would take the safety at the center.
Speaker 4: Let's go you the Lions expansion team.
Speaker 3: Is that what you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Dan Campbell over here, all right, I will take Joey Bosa on the board at five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give me that edge rusher and left tackle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to the two most premium positions behind quarterback.
Speaker 1: What are you What do you make of Joey coming back off of the injury last year? I know, obviously a lot of charges fans are kind of salty about the way that his performance ended with the Jaguars game. So what what do you expect of Joey this? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean it's gonna come down to if he can stay healthy.
Speaker 2: But if he's healthy, he's a top ten all around ed rusher in the league, like consistently, you know, you know, I I think this is just based off what he said, and Joey's always very honest, and he said that like he was dealing with significant issues in his growing area abdomen however you want to describe it, right, like all those abductor muscles, and you know, he'd been dealing with chronic pain, like severe, significant chronic pain that affected how he performed on the field, but also how he could work out in the off season everything you know, you know, getting out of bed, you know, walking around all that.
Speaker 3: Kind of stuff, you know was painful.
Speaker 2: And he said that after the surgery was done and you know, a lot of that pain was gone. And so like in theory, if he's being honest about all that, like in theory, like he should be a really fresh version of himself and that that's like very exciting because he's an outstanding, outstanding player. Like losing him last year was huge because the whole I think the whole vision behind the defense was, you know, they're gonna have to double either Joey or Khalil, and that was going to open things up for the guy on the other side, and that's just we never got to see that, Like, we just never got to see that, you know. And so I think they have a deeper group and I would expect big things from him just based on you know, what he said in terms of how the groin surgery sort of affected his long term prognosis health wise.
Speaker 1: There we go. So for our audio audience, we have Justin Herbert Rashaan Slater, Derwin, James, Corey Lindsley, and Joey Bosa off the board at Tyler again gets to snaky here, so you get back to back picks here, Tyler, where are you going with your second pick?
Speaker 4: Yeah, going defense here would be probably the smart thing to do, but I think it's infinitely more hilarious to leave you guys rudderless. So I'm gonna go Keenan Allen and Mike Williams right here, and we're gonna throw it. The age is definitely a concern, of course, and that's why I didn't take them. I wouldn't have taken them, I mean really in that order. The first five guys probably taken before them, but at this point, I couldn't separate Allen from Herbert, and then I don't want the wide receiver group to dry up. I do know a lot more about these guys than Quentin Johnson. Yes, I'm very happy for him, but you know, there's a reason he felt a twenty one. There's a reason he wasn't ranked one, two, maybe even three in the draft. So I'm gonna take the sure things and pair him with my quarterback.
Speaker 1: Damn heart decision there.
Speaker 5: Hmm you taking two edges here?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: Daniel?
Speaker 1: I might?
Speaker 3: I might? I might. That's what I'm thinking. That's what I'm thinking. I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is because I was gonna go receiver there, so now I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 3: Corner is interesting.
Speaker 2: Corner is interesting, and there's one corner I definitely would take here out of the group that they have. Is a little early. I'm probably giving away now my draft strategy. And then Steven's got two picks coming up. But hey, listen, all right, we're talking about expansion team premium positions. Okay, if I'm starting and I can't get the quarterback off the roster, if I'm starting a team and I can get a lockdown all pro left tackle and a dominant Edgresher pairing to start my expansion team.
Speaker 3: That sounds great to me. So I will be taking Khalil Mack here round.
Speaker 4: Nice nice, Steven's Jesus, very cool. You took the center, man, I know I did. I'm very happy with.
Speaker 3: Study. This is a case study and positional value here for Steven.
Speaker 1: I'll take my my expansion money and go sign Jadavian Clowney or something like that in this.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, Cameron Dicker's next, go.
Speaker 1: For it, Cameron, Hey, not that much. Okay, let's see here. I'm curious. You know, Daniel is over here talking about corners already. So I'm thinking about or the mental game.
Speaker 2: First psychology, trying to get you to take a corner so that I can get the guy I really want.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you're not getting the corner if you're waiting on one, because I'm taking with it.
Speaker 1: Well, I have two picks here, so that's that's.
Speaker 2: What I'm tick and then I'm coming before and then I picked before Tyler again.
Speaker 1: Okay, I I'm going to value the rookie contracts here. I have two very expensive first picks, so I am going to go with Clinton Johnston here, understanding that this is maybe a risk for for this time slot, but I want to make sure I don't end up with, you know, the a dire receiver situation, with potentially my quarterback situation. Okay, and then I'm going back to the non premium position. Well, I'm taking Zion Johnson. I want to make sure I have a great offensive line. Those loyal listeners of the show. No, I loved Zion Johnson coming out, so I guess that should not be a surprise plane to the brand here. So I get Johnston and Johnson back to back.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna take my corner here. I'm going with Vato Davis.
Speaker 1: Oh m hm.
Speaker 3: I don't I. I you know, J. C.
Speaker 2: Jackson obviously would be the other consideration here, but I just worry about that injury and what he's going to look like like you could very easily be the same player. But if we're picking right now, I'm gonna take a guy who I think really established himself as a premier number one corner last year in the second half of the season, and a guy who you know, we'll see last year of his deal.
Speaker 3: We'll see what kind of money he makes.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think, like my thought process is, as an expansion team, you're going in and you have whatever two hundred and change million to spend on players. I think getting quality players is a little bit higher value for me than look for those.
Speaker 3: Types of good deals with the rookie deals. That's my thought process now.
Speaker 1: And he's he's a bargain on the free agent market when you're looking at how much he's making.
Speaker 3: For this season. Yeah, for this season. Absolutely, We'll see what he makes on the open market.
Speaker 2: If he has another year like he did, Like, if he can put together a full season of what he did in the second half last year, then he's gonna make a good chunk of change in the open market, I think.
Speaker 3: But we'll see one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: We talked a lot about that resurgence down the stretch for him on our show last year. All right, Tyler again, you get your fourth and fifth fifth selections here where your where's your head at right now?
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 4: I'll try to keep it reasonable with the contracts. So I'll go as Sante Samuel Junior over J C. Jackson because of the contract, and then I will go Trey Pipkins at right tackle.
Speaker 3: That was my next pick.
Speaker 1: I gotta expand the sheet a little bit, all right, mister Trey Pipkins coming off the board.
Speaker 5: So I have guessed that a year ago. I'll tell you that right now.
Speaker 1: That all right, paper, where you headed here?
Speaker 2: I don't know yet.
Speaker 1: This is probably where it gets a little dicey for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm taking Austin Eckler in the fifth round. And here's my thought process. Thirty eight touchdowns in the last two seasons.
Speaker 5: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: That's the whole that's the whole process. Money, I guess, so I obviously need offensive weapons and playmakers. I personally think obviously what happened this offseason happened, right. You know, Austin wanted more money. Chargers said, feel free to go find it if you could find it. He went on the open market, couldn't find it. Still a really productive player who brings a lot to the table, and in my opinion, has at least two really good seasons left before we start to see that drop off. And I could be wrong, but you know, you're talking about a guy that can affect the game in a number of different ways. And I think, you know, considering I have zero pass catchers on my roster right now.
Speaker 3: I think he'd and no one to throw them the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I needed to go for effectively the best offensive weapon left, and that was Austin.
Speaker 1: So there you go. Now that makes sense. You're just going to recreate the twenty twenty two charters offense and throw him one hundred and ten targets again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's the plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the plan. All right. Well, I want to make a better protection, yes, hopefully, hopefully. I want to make sure I don't get left in the cold with the cornerback market. So I'm going to take a bet on j. C. Jackson's recovery and hope we can get him back to that premium corner performance that we saw before his injury with the Patriots. And then next pick here, I want to go back to the offensive line. So Tyler took all the receivers, I'm taking all the offensive linemen, and I'm going to go with jam Sawyer And he might just be he might just play offensive tackle for me in this situation. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, he's he's absolutely a starting right tackle on an expansion team, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Maybe even Yeah, he might even play left tackle for your teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Maybe. Well, I guess we'll see if I can go steal somebody else on the free agent market.
Speaker 4: You keep talking free agents like that's a thing we can actually do. Like, yes, I know, I'm just like, you know, just playing with a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah hmmm.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmmmmmmm mm hmm. Okay, I will go. Mm hmm. This is tough because I feel like I feel like I need a receiver. I feel like I feel like a receiver. All right, yeah, okay, I will go. I'll go.
Speaker 4: Josh Palmer, all right, there was no shot I was taking one, by the way, So yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Just Steven could come back. I just yeah, I guess I could have gotten them around later. You never know, though, I mean you from the get go, you were just trying to create chaos.
Speaker 5: It would have been funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could have.
Speaker 2: Very easily this Pickmen like, well, I'm just trying to make popps like games, So listen, I'm focused on myself. I'm not focused on anybody else. I'm looking for the best player available.
Speaker 1: And great, great draft talk right there for sure. Yeah all right, Tiler're back to back picks again.
Speaker 5: Okay, cheaper contract.
Speaker 4: I'll make you type it to lead to whippo to I do need an edge player here, and I'm worried about them running out, so I'll make sure I get him, and to solidify my pass rush, I will add Morgan Fox Nice relatively inexpensive for him, and then the rookie deal.
Speaker 5: Actually well technically.
Speaker 3: Not on any deal, but yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 4: Again in my franchise is let'll be taken care of tomorrow.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you know, there you go. All right, so too, Lee and Morgan Fox coming off the board here. Popper is back on the board in the seventh round for his selection.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna invest in the trenches here and go with Sebastian Joseph Day Nice. Just a just a really really solid player, excellent run defender. I think what he brings in terms of leadership in the locker room, on the field, his passion, his effort, you know, his pedigree, all of those things are would be like a tremendous addition to that. This is very serious, but like it would be a tremendous addition to uh, like an expansion team. He's the type of guy that you want, like you want as a captain, the leader of a team.
Speaker 3: So Sebastian Joseph.
Speaker 1: Day, there we go. So defensive line talent drying up pretty quick here.
Speaker 3: The interior your d line run round?
Speaker 5: Yeah, player, do you want Steven?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That's the thing here is we think Austin Johnson is going to be recovering just fine, but you know, we don't know their Scott Matt Locke, I think is an interesting rookie, but I think I'm probably avoiding interior defensive line this way. I don't have any defensive lineman right now, so I guess I could.
Speaker 3: Take three fifths of an offensive line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you might as well just collect all the stones, Stephen, collect all of them, clearly, clearly an offensive line guy, if that has not been any more clear today.
Speaker 1: So next one here, I'm gonna go back to this skill player, and I'm gonna take Gerald Everett. Not necessarily an elite tight end, but I think he does some really good things, and I think he's a tight end that you can definitely start in this thing, as we've seen our last last couple of seasons with the Chargers in Seahawks, where he's kind of like that eight to twelve range at tight end. I just want to make sure I have a reliable body over there, and then next pick here this is this is where I was hoping to Lee would drop. That didn't happen. So thanks, Tyler, You're welcome. Okay, I I'm gonna take a guy that I like who is probably not necessarily looked at as like a starter. But I really liked what I saw from Jesse here Taylor last year. I want to make sure I can get some flexibility on defense in my secondary since I don't have any defensive linemen and I don't love the defensive lineboard at this point. So going back to the secondary, well here.
Speaker 3: That was my pick.
Speaker 5: It would also been my If that makes you feel better, there you go.
Speaker 3: What am I gonna do here? So, like, what's the premise here? I like, if I don't take a quarterback, like what happens.
Speaker 5: Everyone gets in mind? Anyway, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Is this like pre draft, Like would have the opportunity to draft the quarterback like hypothetically right, it would probably be before the draft?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Or is it like no, this is like you're going into the season with ten players on your roster.
Speaker 3: Figure it out.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I guess we should have solidified that beforehand, before we figured out if I had to take Max dug in an eastern stick here, Tyler, what do you think? Yeah? Yeah, Do we have to take quarterbacks here?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: I guess not, Guys. I thought that's what we were doing. But we do not have to. That'd be ridiculous.
Speaker 4: I think Eckler can throw the palmer, and I think Durwin can.
Speaker 5: Throw to uh To. I don't know Zion for a touchdown.
Speaker 1: I think Gerald Everett was the high school quarterback if I'm not mistaken, so he might be mine.
Speaker 5: Here you go? Yeah, good Keenan.
Speaker 4: Allan's playing safety for me, by the way, my wide receiver.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Bob and I do not have to take a quarterback. But if you like Max, Stegan and Easton's take enough. Feel free.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is interesting. This is interesting. We've gotten to an interesting point in this exercise. M Now, Okay, I'll go through. I'm thinking as I sort of think this out live. Okay, don't don't have a safety yet, right, so I could take low Gilman. I think he's a really solid player, still on a rookie deal at this point. Don't have a tight end. Could go tight end. I think Parham would be my pick there. Now, I say that out loud, that is actually a decent pick, you know. Alternatively, what else I could go dayone Henley? You know, but I'd also like, I'm a little bit worried about taking guys that I haven't seen play yet at this level. Yeah, but I feel like I've got some I've got some pieces here. I've got interior, defensive line, wide receiver, running back, corner, edge, offensive line. I'm probably not going to take a backup offensive lineman, but could go with Will Clap probably better to, you know, go in that direction than try and find one on the open market. Or and this is the last one is but going wide receiver, getting some speed on my roster, and going with either Jail and Getting or Darius Davis.
Speaker 1: I guess that obviously depends how you feel Kitan would recover from his.
Speaker 2: Injury correct or you know, take a take a shot with Kenneth Murray. I feel like my defensive coaches might be able to get the most out of.
Speaker 3: The athleticism.
Speaker 5: There really good coaches.
Speaker 1: I heard about that, Yeah, really good coaches.
Speaker 3: The best.
Speaker 1: Probert's got Vic Vangie in this in this sentsence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, okay, all right, okay, I'm taking Donald parm.
Speaker 5: All right, awesome, I've just this in this scenario.
Speaker 1: Might as well take a shot there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've spent enough time taking four straight players who are relatively inexpensive at least under ten million dollars.
Speaker 3: Eric Kendricks here, Yeah, that was I was thinking him too, So.
Speaker 4: At this point I'm gonna go with Eric Kendricks there at eight get the position value kind of, you know, But at this point, if I'm this late and he's not taken yet, I'll go with him.
Speaker 5: And then I.
Speaker 4: Would like a safety that I can trust, So I'm going with a low heet Gilman here, who I don't want to say I'm like higher on the most, but I feel like I've appreciated watching him more every single year. So I finally got someone else to play safety for me. So I will be single high one corner and uh you know that a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We've talked about Alohi Goman a lot on our show, especially recently, Daniel, But what do you what do you make of the charters safety room right now? With him being presumably the starter alongside Derwin and then JT being maybe that third guy behind him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a little thin honestly. You know, Aloe played out standing football down the stretch like he was. He earned that job over nas for the for the Jacksonville game, and I was really impressed with how just solid he was, Like, I just didn't see a whole ton of mistakes.
Speaker 3: I think he can communicated really well.
Speaker 2: I think he proved that he's a highly intelligent player in terms of his ability to read and react both you know, pre snap, post nap, all of that kind of stuff. Now, my only concern is if they are moving Derwin around, which they do right, they're gonna they're gonna move him into the slot. They're gonna move him in to play money and die. That means they're gonna have to bring a safety in, right, and so that means JT. Woods is going to be that safety in sub pack wage is last year that was a LOGI And so you know what it tells me is that they really believe in their ability to.
Speaker 3: Get the most out of JT. Woods. I have to see it.
Speaker 2: They've seen him in practice every day, so obviously there's something there that's telling them that He's capable of doing it from what I've seen in training camp last year and then when he got on the field in games this year. I haven't seen it yet, but you know, we'll have to wait till we get the training camp and then get into these preseason games to see if he's really, you know, taking that next step in terms of his ability to tackle, because that's my concern. I think he can probably operate in the deep part of the field. I think he has those type of ball skills and that athleticism. But if you can't tackle and you are one of the eleven defensive players in the field, opposing offenses will find you, like we saw that last year with the Sante Like they will find you. The good offenses and the good schemers will find that player and they will force him to tackle. And if he can't tackle consistently, you're going to get big gains. And so that's really my big concern, and so we'll see, you know, I think it's I like AlOH, he has a starting safety next to Derwin. I worry about JT as that guy coming in and sub back gages and how opposing offenses could potentially exploit that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, under I think that's really well said. All right, round number nine for you, Daniel Popper, where you headed here?
Speaker 2: I don't love how I've gone about the back end of this draft. However, I'm going to change that here. I I'm gonna take a receiver here. I need a little bit of speed, and I got a lot of faith that that Jalen Gitan's going to come back and be a weapon.
Speaker 3: So I yeah, yeah, Jalen Giten.
Speaker 4: Do you think they're carrying six wide receivers this year and then who gets the position spot removed on their depth start this year?
Speaker 3: I think they will.
Speaker 2: I haven't really gotten into my fifty three man projection, but if I recall correctly, they did.
Speaker 3: They did do six receivers.
Speaker 2: Two years ago when Mike had the ac joint spring coming out of training camp, they went with six receivers off the bat.
Speaker 3: But that's a good question.
Speaker 2: I don't know where they would they would find that spot. I have to go look at that roster from two seasons ago to see where they found it. It'd probably be one less offensive lineman, or it could be one less quarterback, right, it could only be two quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: But then you have this but you do have this new.
Speaker 2: Rule about having three quarterbacks, right, Yeah, so they might.
Speaker 3: They might try and exploit that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but like if you really wanted to, like if you go in with Justin and Easton, that freeze up that spot. But yeah, I haven't started doing my my fifty three man roster calculus yet, still too early for that, Tyler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, defensive tackle obviously an interesting one this year to watch, obviously with the injuries and how they get designated yeah and things like that. Yeah, speaking of defensive tackle, I'm going to take the last Chargers defensive starter and take Austin Johnson here. I know he's got kind of a worrisome injury, but you know, it seems a bit more positive than some of the other injuries, and you know, he's been at practice and things like that. He's been running. So I'm gonna take their best run defender from the first eight weeks last year and hope he can be healthy heading forward. And then, since I don't have to take a quarterback, I'm gonna debate here and just kind of think out loud between Joshua Kelly and maybe Chris Rump. I don't have a pass rusher yet at all. You know, Chris Ruff has been kind of up in Yeah, Chris Rump has been up and down. Yeah, definitely a bold move. I went more offensive line, so you know, it is what it is. Probably should have taken Joey looking back at this, but you know, I can't give any So just just like positional value, I'm gonna take. I'm gonna take Chris Frump and hopefully I can get the most out of him and his develop had some weight on his frame, get him from a string breing maybe to like an asparagus stock or something like that.
Speaker 2: Cool, all right, I would say Joshua Kelly, that was my that was my pick here.
Speaker 3: Multiple multiple running.
Speaker 2: I say, well, at this point, I'm just thinking like, okay, who are the best players left?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, and and to me.
Speaker 2: Like I, I I have been high on Joshua Kelly ever since he got drafted.
Speaker 3: I I have been I have been the guy right like because.
Speaker 2: I I just see it, and I think we would have saw we would have seen him have like a big year last year if he didn't get hurt in that Broncos game. He was blocking on a kickoff return and got rolled up on and sprained his m c L and but the week before that was Cleveland and he had that touchdown in the red zone like he was running hard, Like I really feel like he was.
Speaker 3: He was poised to have a huge year.
Speaker 2: And I just think he's very talented. I think that he's improved significantly as a as a pass protector. And yeah, just looking for the best talent I can get at the stage, and I think he fits that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that. You know. Also, I just I don't love looking at the second half and seeing the usage rate either. So you know, if Joshua Kelly can get some more touches, I think you can be more valuable than he showed last year. All right, Tyler, you got the last pick here? Round us out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, if you don't need a quarterback, I don't really need to finish up my offensive line, So I'm going with Isaiah Spiller. Here, a cheap, expensive player needed a running back. He's the other guy left, So I'm going with Isaiah Spiller.
Speaker 5: Ah, there you go, there we go.
Speaker 1: All right. Tyler is a big believer in Isaiah Spiller. This year, Mister Daniel Popper declared him RB two on this feed a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Eventually, honestly, I was always confused by the whole I mean, obviously Austin coming back changes things, but there was kind of this narrative developing online at least that like if Austin doesn't come back, like the like they're screwed at running back, or like even if Austin comes back, that they have to take a running back. Like in the draft, I mean, Isaiah Spiller is like he was twenty years old when he got drafted, like they like they literally said as soon as they drafted him, they were like, yeah, this is gonna take it a little bit. Like he's very young, he's got to fill out his frame, he's got a lot to learn. And then he sprained his ankle in the preseason, like right when he was starting to like play, he hurt his ankle, and you know that really derailed the first half of his regular season and so almost like a red shirt ear for him.
Speaker 3: But super talented, young, a lot of upside.
Speaker 2: Like I And then you know, obviously everyone knows how I feel about Josh Kelly at this point, so like I felt like they had pieces there and you know, guys like really could take the next step this season, as long as they stay healthy.
Speaker 3: And I think Isaiah Spiller fits that mold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's some very valuable reps for him this spring without Austin Eckler at Ota is normal for him, all right. So just recapping things here, especially for our audio audience. This is our top an expansion draft featuring Daniel Popper with Chargers players only. Uh SO, first and foremost, Tyler had the first pick, got to take Justin Herbert. In the second round, he took Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, after that, Sante Sammy Jr. Trey Pipkins, two, Lee Twoeet below to Morgan Fox, Eric Kendricks, Heelohi Gilman, and Isaiah Spiller to round out his roster. Uh Daniel Popper joins us today and with his first pick he took with Shaun Slater. No brainer there. Joey Bosa was next, and then Khalumack, Michael Davis, Austin Eckler, Josh Palmer, Sebastian Joseph da Donald Parham, Jalen Giton, and Joshua Kelly and then draft third. Yeah, that is a pretty good draft draft.
Speaker 5: You're getting second in the poll.
Speaker 3: But you know, yeah, for sure there.
Speaker 1: We'll tweet went out. We'll tweet went out, you know, and when once the second.
Speaker 2: No, I'm gonna lose because everybody be like that guy chose anything vote against me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we'll see how it goes. I mean, you don't have Justin Herbert man, but you gotta probably the great three rounds after that. So I was last in this and again we we snake drafted, so I had third and fourth picks overall. I took Derwin, James, Corey Lindsley, Quentin Johnston, Zion Johnson, j C. Jackson, Jamari Sawyer, Gerald Everrett. Just see your Taylor, Austin Johnson and Chris Rumph Tyler, what's your what are your thoughts here?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: As we finish up this episode with Daniel Popper here.
Speaker 4: It's an interesting influx of young talent for the Chargers and they have to hit this year. Some guys that we took like round six through ten. You know that we didn't really have as high as some of the you know, the veteran guys. But those guys gotta play and they gotta play well. So, like John Taylor, a loss needed out of him.
Speaker 5: This out of him this year.
Speaker 4: Jamari Sawyer switching sides was really solid last year, but needs to be great now at guard. You know, Isaiah Spiller, Jeff mc kelly, Chris Rump, like all these guys have to step up because if this team wants to take the next step forward, that young influxive talent has to take that next step.
Speaker 1: Two. Yeah, well said there, all right, Daniel Popper, thanks so much for joining us tonight.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: What's coming down the pipeline? What can we look forward to over on the Athletic.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, I've takeaways off OTAs and then obviously bunch of stuff coming out of Mini Camp June thirteenth and fourteenth, working on a couple bigger feature things that should be coming out closer to training camp.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'll have everyone fully covered from.
Speaker 2: The final two OTAs open to the media, and then obviously two day mini camp mandatory. All the veterans should be there. We'll get a chance to talk to Austin Eckler for the first time. So all my takes and takeaways and all that good stuff coming from OTAs in Mini camp, and then get some time away, take a little vacation, get home and see the family, and then we'll be ready to roll July twenty sixth around.
Speaker 3: Then be back and then we'll have daily.
Speaker 2: Training camp notebooks coming for you, which I certainly love doing. I know everyone loves reading, so we look forward to that. Yeah, looking forward to that. So lots of good stuff to come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we love training camp is a great time. We look forward to getting out there ourselves and hopefully we can connect after that as well. So, guys, thanks so much for listening. Thank you for Tyler and Danny Popper for their time today. Appreciate Greg and the Chargers team producing the show as always, and that's going to do it for us today. We'll see you guys next week. Have a great one and as always, bolt up.