Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody? Welcome to the Guiltiest Charge Podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am your host, and joining me as always is my guy Tyler or Tyler. What's up man? How you doing today?
Speaker 2: Doing very well? Not too bad for a Monday.
Speaker 1: How about you doing good? On summer break? I work at a year round school, so we get two weeks off, but didn't have to go to work today, went and hit the links a little big, got a little sun in some you know, my face is a little red today, so apologies for that. I got to use the sunscreen next time. But yeah, you can't complain. It was a good thing on the links for me.
Speaker 2: Good. Yeah, just listen to the audio. Don't watch the video, becau. Stephen's too red in the face apparently.
Speaker 1: No, not too red in the face. You know, it was not super hot today. Up the Fresno is a nice day, so can't complain. All right, So we have a fun show plan for you guys today. We've done a lot of kind of checking in with the Chargers roster in terms of like what do they have, who ranks where, and things like that. Today we're going to talk about some potential additions that the Chargers could potentially make to maybe put a bow on their roster, some very notable names that have recently been released. And then we'll also talk about some potential trade candidates for the Chargers. So good show today, just kind of assessing, you know, maybe feeling like the Charger are one piece away in a certain position group. You know, looking long term is something I think is very valuable as we head into the final months of the offseason.
Speaker 2: Here ready, I'm ready when you are.
Speaker 1: As always, Tyer and I are fans of the team just like you guys are. So our opinions that we express today and every single week are not always reflective of the Charger Chargers organization themselves. At the end of the day, we are independent content creators, you know, here to have a good time here to talk about some some football stuff and hopefully have some good discussion discussion with you guys in the comments as well. So as always, you know, feel free to subscribe to the Chargers channel here as well, as you know, maybe go over to the Guilties Charge podcast channel and leave us a comment and a subscription over there as well. We really appreciate that. So that being said, Tyler, there's been a lot of talk on social media about the Chargers potentially adding DeAndre Hopkins or Dalvin Cook, who are recently released players. DeAndre Hopkins, of course, has kind of begun his free agency tour, visiting with the Tennessee Titans this week and the New England Patriots coming up here after that, potentially taking other visits as well. So let's start with Dalvin Cook, recently released from the Minnesota Vikings. Obviously, the Chargers have some connections to Dalvin in the form of Eric Kendricks, Ryan Ficken, and Jeff Howard. Obviously not like his former position coach or anything like that, but you know guys who were around him, you know, on the coaching staff, and obviously Eric Kendricks one of his former team captains. So what would you make of the Chargers potentially being interested in mister Dalvin Cook?
Speaker 2: Interested is fine by me and for what it's worth. Also, Derwan and James also played with Dalvin Cook at Florida States, so there's another connection there. But granted that not on the offensive side of the football, I would be okay if they were interested in him. Of course, because it's almost obvious. Is there a running back behind Austin Eckler that is better or is projected to be better, or has shown to be better than Dalvin Cook. No, at this point, no, there is not. If Joshua Kelly had played the entire year last year, we're not having this conversation, especially if those stats that he had while he was playing so well translated over the course of the year. But he didn't play the entire year, and it was really his only year of really solid numbers, whereas the previous years he was hurt or the numbers weren't great. And then this past season he couldn't play the full year either, and then Isaiah Spiller, listen, I have all the hope in the world for him. I think I hope he's fantastic. I hope he's, you know, the next Ladanian Tomlinson. But for right now, we don't know anything about him. We know a lot more about Dalvin Cook, So the Chargers being interested in him in Dalvin Cook would make sense, and I'd understand why they would add him to the rotation because Kellen Moore has shown that he's really solid working with those two running backs. We even talked about Ezekiel Elliott previously. Even though he's not the guy he once was, you can make him the runner. He caught all of you know, negative four passes last season, but Austin Echer can go ahead and do that for them. So, you know, Kellen Moore can work with these two running backs and two guys who touched the football quite a bit. With that said, there's the other side of the argument that you know, Ted Winn from The Athleteck wrote about, you know, is Doalvin Cook washed? And there was real there's no like conclusion that he's washed. But you worry about, you know, catching the falling sword because Dalvin Cook, you know, I don't remember what the numbers were, but in twenty twenty he was, you know, top ten at this number, and then in twenty twenty one fell into the twenties, and in twenty twenty two he fell into the thirties and forties. And so I was just digging around looking at, you know, the Vikings in general and how they compared to the Chargers and what Dovin Cook did last season. And the Minnesota Vikings were twenty ninth in rushing EPA per play, where the Chargers were fourteenth, which is already concerning for if you're trying to go find a running back to improve as a rushing unit, because you know, Chargers fans, you watched the rushing attack last season, and I'm sure it was very frustrating. The Vikings were fifteen spots worse in rushing ep APRI play, which is not great. They were twenty fifth and rushing success rate where the Charges were twentieth. But as it pertains specifically to Doalvin Cook, and please go read Ted Win article about that, there's more to it than this. But Dobbin Cook was forty first out of forty eight eligible NFL runners at negative zero point one six rushing yards over expected per attempt per Next Gen stats. Now I'm not a mathematician, but for rushing yards over expected, you'd like them to have, you know, a positive number over expectation, whereas Dobvin Cook again was negative zero point one six are r yoe for that per attempt, which isn't great. Austin Eckler comparatively was nineteenth out of forty eight at zero point four to nine rushing yards over expected per attempt, so about two thirds of the yard are I guess two feet more than what was blocked last season. And listen the Vikings. They were eighteenth in run block win rate last season according to ESPN, charges were twenty eight then run block win rate. So I don't know. Again, if they're interested in Dovin Cook, i'd understand. Is he better than the other two running backs behind us the neckler? Probably, But I am worried about the decline in production per play stats, et cetera. And this was you know, I think more about contract than anything else. But again, the Vikings were twenty ninth and EPA pri play and they cut Dalvin Cook again, probably more because of the contract, but still that's worrisome. So I'd get it if they signed him, and I would completely understand why they didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cost is worrisome. Like you're talking about his contract. I forget which Denver Broncos beat, right. I want to say it was Mike cli or Cliss. He was talking about how the Broncos are not interested in uh or don't appear to be interested in Dalvin Cook because of the acquisition costs. So Dalvin Cook is you know, he was just cut in the heading into the third year of a five year contract for the Minnesota Vikings, like he's going to want to recoup as much of that value as possible for him. Now, it is totally possible that the market for running backs, which has been very very unkind to players this offseason, continues to be unfriendly for these players. So it's possible that Dalvin Cook does not cost as much as he thinks he is worth. Right, he might be looking for, you know, north of the franchise tag value, which is is a little above ten million dollars, But is he really going to get that? I have my doubts. So, you know, if Dalvin Cook costs you, you know, four million dollars, which is kind of a similar deal to like what Jamal Williams received this year, then I'm definitely more interested in that kind of thing. If he has a great market and this turns into a bidding war, then I'm not interested. You know, if they're gonna pay him more than Austin Eckler, I'm not interested. That's one concern for me. The second concern, which is is kind of what you're talking about and alluding to here, is where is Dalvin Cook in this kind of range of falling off a cliff like, is he nowhere close? Is he already starting to fall? Is he just about to fall? Where are we at with Dalvin Cook in terms of like his you know, fall from grace if you will. It sounds like he's had had a pretty steady decline over the past three years, at least in terms of rushing yards over expected. You know, there's a debate of really how efficient and effective Dalvin Cook is on a per play basis, And I think rushing yards are expected is a good way to show that. I think when you look at his pure stats, like you see a very productive runner of the football, right. I mean you're talking about one of the only players to hit over a thousand yards rushing each of the last three years. I mean, he's been a Pro Bowl player. He's very you know, dynamic from from start to finish, and any game can take any kind of carry to the house that we've seen. But really, how efficient is he on a purplay basis? That's the big debate, and to me, that's that's the second concern. To his credit, he does ranked pretty favorably in terms of misstackles forced. Last year, he was tied for eighth in miss tackles force with Tyler l Ger just behind Aaron Jones. And then really his best attribute, I would say so far in this past season was his explosive run rate. So he had again tied for eighth in yards of ten plus according to PFF, and that was thirty So that was a good amount more than Austin Eckler who had twenty one last season. So I think if you are gonna pay him a large contract to be your best running back, I think you're probably gonna be disappointed. But if you can pay him four or five million dollars to be your one B or RB two, I think that's a world where Dalvin Cook can be a very effective player. Still, it's just where does he think he belongs, how much does he think he should get paid? And that's gonna be a curious thing. So for me, like the Chargers, they would be more of like a wait and see on Dalvin Cook, Like, let Dalvin Cook go try and figure out if he's going to be an expensive player market is not good to him, then maybe the Chargers kind of enter into that conversation at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I even think in the same vein of as Sony Michelle although Dalvin Cook is much more high profile and I believe at this point would be a better runner than Michelle was last season. Before the season, yeah, you know, they could wait and see, because they do want to see. How does Isaiah Spiller look? We don't know, you know, how did the undracted free agents look? How does Larry Roundtree look? How does Joshua Kelly look? And I guess to a certain extent, how does Austin Eckler look? Although I'm not worried about him, but they are going in into this final year of Austin Eckler's contract, and so they're wondering, okay, like, you know, where is he at? Is he still kind of the same guy? And I don't think they're too worried about that, but there's a lot of wait and see with him. The other thing that I do think that is worth noting for Dalvin Cook last year is yards after contact per attempt, where he was twelfth in that regard. Eckler was twentieth. Joshu Ma Kelly. When Argin interviewed Joshava Kelly said, what's the one statistic that running back should use to evaluate whether they're good or doing a good job? Or whatever, and he and Kelly said yards after contact per attempt. So do you want to pay Dobyn Cook twelve eleven million dollars a year to be a year after contact guy? Not really, but you also alluded to some other things, and I believe per tedwins article, he had four touches that went for more than forty yards last season. So he's not, you know, four yards in a cloud of dust, three yards and a cloud of dust kind of guy. But he is at least better at contact than anyone else in the Charges roster right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think you know, with Kellen Moore having that, you know, experience of the two back system, I think Kellen Moore would have a lot of fun in coaching him, right and I think you know, they would be able to find a role for him. The Chargers are theoretically going to be running as a rushing attack and building it around outside zone. That's kind of what Kellen Moore has done over the last two years with the Cowboys, and they've talked a lot about finding what they want to major in and that's what the Chargers were best at in twenty twenty one. So schematically, there's going to be some overlap with what the charters want to do and what Dalvin Cook has done in the past with the Minnesota Vikings. So I can see this being a good fit. I can in terms of like on the field, and I can see the vision of like what they would beginning with Dalvin Cook and how that would help, you know, improve the run game. But it's just like I said, I'm maybe kind of waiting and seeing in terms of the costs. I'm not rushing in there and super interested in paying Domin Cook, you know, over ten million dollars or eight million dollars even I think it has to come down significantly for me to be more interested than I am right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he would be solid, but he's also in this cluster of guys who have been in the league for maybe three years, four years, seven years, et cetera. Ezekiel Elliott, James Robinson was just released. I think that they don't have to go rushing. It's not like Dalvin Cook, at least statistically, is so significantly better than those guys that he's like the prized guy of that group. Act. He could be the best of the group, but I don't think he's significantly better that you have to go out and get him. In your eyes, looking at Robinson looking at Zeke, looking at Cook, would the Chargers prioritize Cook over Zeke. Let's really just talk about those two, or do you think Zeke is the person that they would actually wait for and go get him instead.
Speaker 1: I think it would be Zeke because Zeke is gonna be cheaper. I think maybe you could throw Leonard Fournette in this conversation. But Zeke is really great at the things that these Chargers backs kind of struggle at, and that's you know, effectiveness in short yarded situations, which is not something that you like, really pay a hefty penny for at this point in time. But Zeke was one of the best running backs in terms of rushing yards that were expected in goal to go situations, in third and short, fourth and fourth and short situations last year. And then also you watch him in past protection and he might be the best pass protecting running back in the league. I think Austin Eichler is in that same kind of conversation as well, so I would I would be more interested in Zeke because I think that takes one thing away from Austin Eckler that he shouldn't be doing. Like, I don't want Austin Eckler pass protecting. I want him running routes, you know. And so getting Zeke in there to be a past protector, getting him in there to be a surefire short gardage back, I think that helps alleviate some of the pressure off of Austin Eckler. I still think you'd be able to find a role for Joshua Kelly or Isaiah Spiller in that regard too, because those guys are not super effective in shortyardage situations, at least that we've seen so far, and pass protection is a concern for both of them, although I think Joshua Kelly has certainly taken some strides in that regard. So I think Zeke is a much cleaner fit in terms of complimenting the room that they have. Obviously, if you're signing Dalvin Cook, you're saying, hey, like, we don't buy Joshua Kelly or Isaiah Spiller as RB two. We're gonna go with the Dalvin Cook and have that two headed monster approach. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I could definitely see them doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So let's let's talk about DeAndre Hopkins next again, somebody that was his former team was trying to trade for most of the offseason. They were not able to get that deal done, obviously ultimately deciding to cut him. And so mister DeAndre Hopkins is currently on the free agent market. Like I mentioned, visiting the Tennessee Titans New England Patriots this week, somebody that a lot of Chargers fans are iffy on because of how much this is going to cost. Because he is going to command top dollar. This is different than Dalvin Cook. I think DeAndre Hopkins is looking for more money than Odell Beckham Junior got somebody who we haven't seen play since the Super Bowl of twenty twenty one when he was with the Rams. He got fifteen million dollars guaranteed up to eighteen million dollars of total value. So DeAndre Hopkins is looking for more than that contract. Tyler, do you think the Chargers would be interested in doing that?
Speaker 2: No, based on contract alone, that's less feasible than like Dalvin Cook. For example, unless Cook wants something ridiculous we don't know about, it's not going to happen. You can't have two twenty million dollar wide receivers. And then go pay another guy above ten million dollars. Again, not that paying another running back twelve million dollars is better. I just don't see them giving the money to DeAndre Hopkins that he probably wants and probably deserves, you know, I think in terms of like a one two year deal whatever. But really what it comes down to is this receiving core. Is DeAndre Hopkins a better receiver than Quentin Johnson?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: He is right now until we see otherwise from Quentin Johnson, who has not played. Hopefully, that doesn't make me canceled among Chargers fans. But you know, cause listen, I'm really excited about Quentin Johnson. We haven't seen him play yet. So in terms of individual individual individual, yes, Hopkins would be the better wide receiver three, There's no doubt about that. The question really becomes would he make it a better receiving corps and a group overall? I don't know, because he Quentin Johnson. We've talked about this as soon as they drafted him our first episode on here. Quentin Johnson is uniquely, if nothing else, excellent after the catch plays, mistackles, forced, etc. And that is something that Hopkins is not as great at He's great at plenty of other things. Right, he was eighteenth and yards per run last year. That's probably better than Quentin Johnson could be this year. I believe that was better than Mike Williams last year. But DeAndre Hopkins was also out of eighty wide receivers seventieth in yards after the catch per perception. Now, granted, I'm projecting based off Quentin Johnson going to the NFL. We have not seen him yet, but I do feel like what Quentin Johnson can do as that wide receiver three is a better fit for this team for the Chargers right now, especially with someone like Mike Williams and with Keenan Allen. If they didn't have Mike Williams, the whole different discussion. But they have a certain body type and wide receiver type with Mike Williams and with Keenan Allen, and with Quinton Johnson, and of course the rest of their receiving corps. They all compliment each other so well, Hopkins would be the better wide receiver three in terms of individual but I think that someone like Quinton Johnson, who, by the way, they just dropped in the first round, so they're good like this isn't happening. But they want someone like Quinton Johnson out there who can compliment the receiving corp better. That's why they went and got him. So Hopkins, he's a he was a great player. He's probably still a good player. He'll probably do really well somewhere else. But the money ain't it, and I don't think he fits the three man rotation that the Chargers want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the word compliment there is really the key because stylistically, again not comparing these two players, but stylistically, DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Williams do the same thing. They they're big bodied X receivers, contested catch kings. You know, I think DeAndre Hopkins is obviously proven to be a much better wide receiver. I mean, he's one of the best of our generation, right, you know, he's one of the best players of the last ten years in the NFL. You know, after his suspension last he was let me make sure I get this right. He was seventh in the league in targets. He had ninety three targets, sixty four catches, seven hundred and seventeen yards, so he was averaging a career low eleven point two yards per reception last year you only had three touchdowns, which is a bit of surprise but probably more of an indictment of the actual Cardinals offense last season. But stylistically, he does the same thing that Mike Williams does. He runs go balls, he runs posts, he runs slants. He's a big body, contested catch player. So I don't want more of those. I don't think we need another jump ball guy. I'm cool with Mike Williams in that regard, and I think Josh Palmer has shown that he can do that as well. Qwenton Johnson is able to do that, so I understand why people would be interested in him. He's a great player, right, And he apparently really likes Justin Herbert and would love catching passes from him, which I don't blame him. I think Justin Herbert is a fantastic quarterback. Right. So it's a fun conversation to talk about imagining Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Williams, and Quinton Johnston. Like, that's a fantastic wide receiver quartet for sure, But I'm just not sure how feasible this is in terms of the cap sheet. And also just like you're talking about the on field fit isn't as clean as Dalvin Cook. For Dalvin Cook, we can under we could understand what the vision would be, their schematic, familiarity, he compliments the room very very well. With DeAndre Hopkins, It's just not a clean fit. It's kind of you know, square hole, round peg kind of situation where you're just trying to force in a really talented player, one of the best of this generation, into a room, into an offense that just might not be the best fit for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think he's come out and said, look, it's it's not about money. I do want to go to a contender and win. If that were the case, I don't think I would have visited the Titans on the Patriots first. And if it were about winning and not the money, he would have signed with the Chiefs for eight hundred thousand dollars, which is not going to happen either, at least I hope it doesn't. But yeah, good player, great player from you know the last was it nine ten years whatever? It is just not the different timings, different timings for this organization for Hopkins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is you know, next year when the charters might have to make a decision on Mike Williams and Keenan Allen, you know, and they need, you know, a veteran receiver to fill that Mike Williams role. At that point, I could understand a DeAndre Hopkins signing, you know, he would be another year older obviously, but very curious to see where he does end up because he's saying all the right things in terms of I want to go win a Super Bowl, I want to contend, and then also saying that he wants over eighteen million dollars in visiting the Titans and the Patriots. So just a bit of a head scratcher.
Speaker 2: There, Yeah, it's a little bit.
Speaker 1: Wish him the best, yes, one hundred percent. I think it's very cool that he likes Justin Herbert so much. Definitely think that's cool. All right, So Tyler and I have brought up a couple of names here, or prepared a couple names to look at some potential trade targets for the Chargers as well. Again as we head into the late parts of the off season, you know, rounding out the roster, adding some pieces. Again, they have one roster spot, Avai Wele that can change, but the first one that I wanted to bring up is mister Noah Fant, somebody that has ties to Brandon Sadie from their time in Denver. One of the more intriguing tight ends of the last few years. Right. He was a first round pick by the Broncos, a part of the Russell Wilson trade, a piece that the Seattle Seahawks were at least reportedly very excited about. We've talked a lot about the tight end room maybe needing one more piece here, Tyler, what would you make of potentially trading for Noah Fant.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna throw an audible here, and I would say that be the disappointing acquisition from a Seahawks tight end. Oh, I'm looking at Kolbe Parkinson on the last year of his deal, who likely costs less to trade for, and he will not a former first rounder about five and a half million dollars cheaper. Graded out better as a run blocker, eighth in the NFL as a run not granded. Run blocking grades are subjective, but I hey, I haven't graded all the blocking tight ends in the NFL, and you haven't either, So eighth in the NFL. I had a fan at fifty first, he's the third receiving priority on his team, so he's priority number three, and in certain terms of tight ends, I should say priority number three in an offense that just added Jackson Smith and Jigba Zach Charboney. Not that he's a target hog, but still, but of those three tight ends he's first, and yards and reper perception yards after the catch, per perception yards per rock run, no drops. His entire career spends behalf of snaps in line no offense. I was looking at no offense numbers because I wanted to know, like, okay, like when you brought him up in my great that makes a ton of sense. Another tight end for this We've been kind of dying for maybe a true I mean really a true number one, or a true number two, or even a true number three, and the Chargers have a lot of question marks at all three of those spots. Fan would settle in somewhere. You know, I think is a worst a solid number two. But I just think Kobe Parkinson, for his role and his numbers and his cost I actually ended up liking him looking at the numbers more than someone like Noah Fant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kobe Parkinson put on one of the better blocking performances of an opposing tight end that I've watched over the last three years, and what he did against the Chargers last year on tape man is a lot of fun. If you're a big fan of blocking tight ends, Kobe Parkinson is a guy for you. So I don't hate that. I think Kobe Parkinson is would be a solid option again, complementing what the Chargers already have. You get him and Donald parm as your two blockers, two main blockers. I would feel really really good about that. You know, again cheaper like you mentioned as well, maybe behind some guys that you know that doesn't allow him to show his full repertoire as a football player. Will Disley has been on the Seahawks forever. They loved that guy, and then off they invested a lot in him. You know, he was a part of the Russell Wilson trade. So the reason I wanted to bring up Noah Fant is not so much to compliment the Chargers room, but potentially being their long term tight end one. This is something that the Chargers have struggled to find in the post Hunter Henry era, and you know he wasn't you know, a super long term fit either, So Noahfan is interesting to me. He actually had his lowest production of his career this past year with the Seahawks. He only had sixty five targets, which was his lowest since his rookie season, fifty one catches, again lowess since his rookie season, and they really kind of turned him into a big slot receiver. That was not something that he had done previous. But in twenty twenty two, his UH slot percentage went skyrocketed up from his previous career high. His previous career high it was as a rookie in twenty nineteen at twenty seven percent. This past season it was forty one point three percent, so again that was really like a big difference for him. They really kind of condensed his workload. He didn't get to run as many deep rats as previously as adat was lower, so they really kind of turned him into the safety blanket and it turned into his, you know, least productive season of his career. It's interesting here because they drafted Jackson Smith and Jigboh. You just mentioned that's his role. He's he's the slock guy, He's the safety blanket. So I'm just curious about, like where the fit is in Seattle for Noah fan. You know, the Seahawks have never really used a tight end that much, outside of like Greg Olsen the one year that he was there. It's not been a position that they really priority ties, you know, so we've seen them kind of focus more on these guys like Will Diesley and Kolbe Parkinson, and so I just I don't know if there's a place long term for no Offense in Denver. So I would be curious to see what he would look like with the Chargers. You get him in here, get him in his building. He's probably your tight end two this year, but maybe he's your long term tight end one. I think that's a shot that I would be willing to take because tight end is such a hard position to draft. We just had the best tight end drafted probably ever and the Charges didn't take one, which is fine. I totally understand that process, right, but they do need a long term tight end, and I would be interested in no Offense and his long term potential. You know, this is a guy who we saw put up six hundred and seventy yards in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one with some combination of Drew Locke and others in Denver. So I think the talent is there for no offense to outproduce what he has put on the field, and I think that's a chance the Charters should be at least considering right now.
Speaker 2: All right, First off, completely forgot the Greg Olsen played for the Seahawks at all, So thank you for that blast from two years ago, but still I completely forgot about that. A couple of questions then with that, so with how he plays and how they used him, and maybe that changes of course with a different team and Kellen Moore, But how does he fit then in the short term with Gerald Everett, who's going to be more your slock guy, less in line, and then in terms of long term, like, yeah, this is your long term fit and your tight end one, which I'd love, don't get me wrong, justin Herbert needs a consistent you know, for four years, you just know who your tight end one is. But can the Chargers pull that off financially?
Speaker 1: Do you think I think they could? Because he's not going to be a guy that's going to command top dollar with his next contract. You know, he's not put up that kind of money. Then again, the Browns paid David n Joku, you know, twelve million dollars after his career high of like three hundred and fifty yards receiving or whatever it was, but no offense coming here. I think he would compliment Gerald Everett's skill set really well as pass catchers. I would love for Donald Parham to be healthy, right and I think he's shown a lot of potential, but he does have some injury concern and so I think you can get a similar role with Noahfense in terms of, you know, working the seams from the inline position, gives you some yards after catchability. He's able to be a big body in the red zone. I think you don't necessarily have to view Everett and No Offense in a similar way because Gerald Evert can do so much in the slot like that is something that Gerald Everett is very comfortable with in excels at. That's not really no offense game, or at least it wasn't in his first three seasons, So it's just a name. I thought that was interesting because his role in Seattle's just kind of in question, and his long term fit is in question, and it just doesn't really fit like their style, but maybe with the Chargers that could be really kind of the that they are missing in the tight end room and could really kind of, you know, stabilize the long term outlook at the position.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I certainly watched that Charger of Seattle game, watch Seattle run the football, and I just look at the tight ends when I want to have one of those, And two of those would be great too, Like they just were fantastic. So I would get it, honestly, any of these guys I would totally understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do think No Offense is at least like a serviceable blocker. I don't think he's as bad as his great indicates, but I don't think he's like an elite blocker by any means either. M Okay. The other one that we wanted to wrap the show up here with is a former draftmate of Justin Herbert, and that is mister Chase Young. Not a ton of connections there, obviously, with Chase Young being a younger player, mostly being in Washington for the bulk of his career, actually not mostly all of Washington. The Commanders have declined his fifth year option, so he's going to be a free agent after this upcoming season. They've paid a lot of money to their interior. They're kind of doing it backwards. Montes Sweat also a free agent. He's playing on his fifth year option this year, so the commander is probably only getting to keep one of these two guys, so long term outlooking question for Chase Young, Tyler, but what would you make and what would you think the process is potentially considering Chase Young?
Speaker 2: You have to consider, if you, well, two things, the cost or I guess three things, so the cost of it? Of course, what is the cost of the acquisition? Will they be taking any any of this contract, et cetera. And that's something for people smarter than me to discuss and figure out. I don't care about that part. Someone else have figured it out for me. The next thing is, and maybe the biggest thing is that do you feel like you're a team and a defense that can take Chase Young? A guy who is so talented and you know, everyone said you look at Nick Bos like at Joey Bo said, well, this Chase Young guy is actually the best of the three. Hasn't panned out like that, but he had so much talent. Can you take him and revitalize his career like you did for a lot of guys on your front seven last season. So you know, I don't know. I don't know why Kyle Vannoy's career is going to go from this point, but he finished out very, very strong. He looked at someone like Austin Johnson. He was on his way to having a career year. Sebastian Joseph Day had a solid year, though he didn't get to see it completely. Morgan Fox had arguably the best year of his entire career. So can you take someone like Chase Young and do the same for him? I think the answer is yes there, and I think you also feel good that not just as a pass rusher, which is something that they would have to further and develop, but he is better as a run defender, at least statistically. I can't say I've watched a ton of Washington Commander's film. The only time I've really watched them is when Mashaun Slater made him disappear, but that he does with everybody but twenty seventh and run stop rate out of nine hundred and twenty three people third and average up to tackle against the run is really solid too, And that's easy too.
Speaker 1: Or twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: It might have been twenty twenty one. I don't know anyway. Point is, I do believe that you can, at least, if nothing else, take him and Adam to be a stronger run defender for your team rather than a pass rusher. Is that worth the trade acquisition cost? I'm not sure, but I do feel like I would love the Chargers to be a team that consistently is able to find It's weird to call him this but like a reclamation project and he's not really, but take him, maximize him, send him out, you know. And Chase Young a former first rounder. Everyone knows him and his talent. If he has a solid year, you get a heck of a compic for him if he's able to maximize that and maximize his contract value, which he should. He's a pass rusher who is well known, who should be coming off of a really strong year and from a hopefully strong defense. So I would say yes to this as long as the cost to acquire him is fine. I love Tully. I think he is going to be awesome, but he is very, very young, and we saw last year different because this player was a fourth rounder. But Isaiah Spiller, you know, was twenty himself, and they've slowly worked him into things. And I don't know if that's the same for the defensive side of the ball. With Tully two below two. I don't believe he's twenty one yet. I believe it's be twenty one in a bit. So the Chargers might slowly work him and they want they might want someone more proven at this point. Chase Hung probably very expensive, probably won't take you know, just a seventh rounder to go get him. But I can't say no to the idea of adding him as long as the cost is there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you brought up the reclamation aspect of this because I think that is what you're doing with with Chase Hung and potentially considering him for trade, because you know, this is something that the Rams have done, you know, a year and a year on whether it was training for Robert Quinn or Tante Fowler or whoever, right, and then they get big contracts and then the Chargers or the Rams excuse me, get the compis so if you're the Commanders, you know, looking at from their perspective, what are you potentially getting if you hold on to Chase Young? And that compick pans out right. Theoretically, if Chase Young hits his ceiling and you can't afford to keep him, you're probably talking about a third or a fourth round compick in twenty twenty five. If you're considering trading him, then maybe you get a fourth or a fifth round pick this year. So how do you weigh that cost of Well, let's hold on to Chase and let's see if he can hit his ceiling in twenty twenty three. If he does, we'll get a really nice compic out of it in twenty twenty five. Versus, he was not having a great season before he got injured, before he tore his ACL in twenty twenty two, at least as a pass rusher, I mean, it was twenty four total pressures, two sacks. According to PFF, his win rate was actually higher as a rookie than it was in twenty twenty two. So what's the maybe the floor of Chase Young. What kind of calm pick does that get us in twenty twenty five. Maybe that's a sixth or seventh round compick because he's just not able to put it all together this year. So if a team comes to you and says, hey, like, we'll give you a fourth round pick for Chase Young, and then the Chargers are able to rehabilitate him, you know, get him back up to speed, and then maybe the Chargers get a third round compick for him in twenty twenty five. So there's a lot of layers there. But for the Chargers, I think that's worth it. And also there's a world where the Chargers are moving on from Khlumack or Jolie Bosa or both after the season. Maybe you keep Chase Young and you give him, i don't know, a fifteen million dollars per year contract and you're able to work that in as opposed to what the Chargers have previously. So there's a lot of layers here. But to me, this is like, I think the Chargers could use another pass rushing body. I don't think it necessarily has to be a former first round pick, former number two overall pick, but I do I would like to see them at least add some competition to the room. Again, I think two Lee is going to be great. I think it was my pick for most instant impact. But we don't know that with certainty. We don't know what we're getting out of Chris Frump. We're hoping we get improvement, right, but getting some kind of proven production I think would be useful for this team and just gives them some flexibility. So I like the idea of adding Chaseng to this room. I like the idea of maybe he is your long term replacement for Khalil Mack. Maybe he is a comp pick chance you know, next year. But either way, I think this would make sense for the Chargers, And if the Commanders are open to dealing him, then I think the Charger should be calling.
Speaker 2: What is his current prognosis for the whole ACL to actually tour in November?
Speaker 1: So he should be good. He played so yeah, he played the last three or four games last season. Let me make sure he did. He played sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen. He only played thirty snaps in Week sixteen, but he played forty seven in Week eighteen, so he should be back on track. I mean we're talking about you know, by the time the season starts will be almost two full years removed from the surgery, so he should be healthy. It just kind of, I guess depends where the Commanders at are at in terms of is he going to be around long term? Are we comfortable with choosing Montes Sweat already? Can we afford Montes Sweat? So, you know, the Commanders have a big decision here to pick between these guys. Maybe let both of them walk. I don't know. So, like, if I'm the Commanders, I'm trying to trade Chase Young now. And you know, then again, maybe they think they're better than they actually are too, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knows. Was Ron Rivera there when they drafted him? They had? Yeah, it has been, Yes, that sounds I think the reports are coming out that Ron Rivera has final say in personal decisions, so I believe. So, there's no way it's only been it's been less than three years. I haven't really had like Okay, So for some reason, I thought Chase Young towards ACL last season when he recovered from it and came back last season.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so he tore it at the end of the twenty twenty one season. It was November, Ron Rivera.
Speaker 2: Look at us not knowing the answer to this one right off the top of our heads. Twenty twenty so that he was the here was the pick when they drafted him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was Rookie of the Year. For what it's worth, I think that year was just kind of a down year for defensive rookies. But you know, I still think that there's a lot of potential. You know, Chase Young, for me personally, was one of the best defensive rookies defensive prospects that I've graded. Still, his grade was very, very high for me. I still believe in that potential. You know, past strushures do typically peak when they're like twenty six, twenty seven years old. It takes them a little bit to get their legs under them. So I still think that Chase Young has some potential, and maybe he hits that this year and then we're talking about a completely different kind of player. But as of now, like if you're a Commanders fan, you've got to be pretty disappointed in the returns that you've got out of him, and you know, maybe getting a fourth round pick for him would maybe make you feel a little bit better.
Speaker 2: There's no way a Washington Commanders fan is going to say he's worth the fourth round pick, though. But the NFL's very different. Our expectations for what a player is worth is very different than what it actually ends up happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Tyler, any other player that you wanted to bring up here as a potential signing or trade for the Chargers as we head into the meat of the offseason.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily a player. I'm just very desperate for any kind of competition at tackle. We've talked about this a zillion times, but you look at you know, they won't play the Browns this year, but potentially in the playoffs day trade fers the brown for Deserdaria Smith and the Chiefs get a mena who and the Raiders at Wilson and the Jets at Will McDonald and the Chiefs also drafted, and a Ducate Uzama. You're the Bengals at Miles Murphy. You're looking throughout the playoffs potentially or something under schedule like the Packers in van Ness, and you just really want to make sure that throughout those games you have a swing tackle feel really good about. And Hey, like all the players and the Chargers, I hope they're Hall of famers, but I am obviously I think we all are until proven otherwise. You know, worried about Foster several as that backup swing tackle. Hope he's awesome, but for some comparison, like his past blocking efficiency was ninety four point four last season, even Storm Norton's was ninety five the previous season. So just a bit of context there. So I don't know who, I don't know what, but I hope they add somebody, because while I hope all these guys are fantastic, I don't love the process of not adding someone at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Foster, to his credit, has been working all offseason along with Duke, Nannyweather, Rashawn and Trey Pipkins. So he's putting in the work. You know, you can tell that he's he's cut some weight, it looks like and the pictures from today, So I hope he works out right, Like I mean, he was a former five star recruit as at Stanford, so there is some natural talent there that maybe might be untapped. But I would love some competition, Like that's it for me, Like it was the same kind of story last season, and thankfully it worked out with Trey, but I would just love to be able to have, you know, a veteran in that room to to add some stability, add some competition. Not a ton of great options left. Guys like Billy Turner and Cam Fleming have recently signed, but you know there's like a Dennis Kelly type of tackle still out there. Cameron Irving, who played for Kellen Moore in Dallas, is another option. I think could you know, he's kind of played all over the place, But I think adding another veteran in the room would make a lot of sense for me.
Speaker 2: Anybody else that you'd want to add, no, I.
Speaker 1: Mean we've talked a lot about the safety room. You know, we would both love to add a potential safety in that group, again, just adding competition in depth. I think we both feel pretty comfortable with a Lowhi starting, but just would like to have a bit of a backstop if anything happens to him, because I think if if a Lowie or Dorin are to miss time, then you don't feel great about the safety room. So doesn't even have to be John Johnson, that's obviously the big name that everybody wants. You know, a guy like Ronnie Harrison, who was John Johnson's former teammate. I've talked about a couple of times that would make some sense to me, But I just I think they do need another veteran in the secondary in general. But specifically at safety.
Speaker 2: Yep. But the good news is everyone's staying healthy this year, so it's not going to be a problem.
Speaker 1: Fingers crossed, Fingers crossed. All right, Tyler, that's gonna do it for us today. Thanks so much for tuning in everyone. Thanks so much for the to the Chargers and the production team for helping us out. As always, make sure comment let us know if you guys have any other prospects or players not prospect If you have any players that you think the Chargers should be adding or interested in adding, let us know. Be sure to be active in the comments. Hope you guys enjoyed the episode and that's it. We'll see you next week. As always, both up.