Speaker 1: Late fifteen to ten touched up What's up?
Speaker 2: Guys, Welcome into a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly, as always, joined by Matt Bunny Smith. It's the first week of summer vacation. I guess we haven't double one of these in a while. And Money, this is a first Lindsay theory ESPN making your roundtable debut. And the last time we had this gentleman on, he was upside down in his Fiata. If you watch the podcast video, I think he's got it all figured out now, Money, It's true story.
Speaker 3: Jeff Miller did make an appearance and the frame was upside down and he was in an automobile, and all automobiles it.
Speaker 4: Was a mosta Miata.
Speaker 3: So yes, it was Lindsay got a lot to live up to. Good luck trying to match what Miller was able to accomplish the last time he was on.
Speaker 5: There's no way I can even top that. That sounds like a great legend, right there be told over and over again.
Speaker 3: Yes, I believe that there's a folk song written about it. You can hear it at Hurricanes there on Main Street.
Speaker 4: They've they've put it on a loopt.
Speaker 1: Jeff that's on the top of the resume.
Speaker 6: No, it's it's probably the as I I think I mentioned at the time, it's that is probably the best thing I've ever delivered to this program right there, that moment is more than anything I ever said, any insight, any opinion, anyone else.
Speaker 7: As that was the best thing I've ever delivered. So I can't go down.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for what this next thirty forty five minutes.
Speaker 7: Hold up.
Speaker 1: You know, you guys have been out there pretty much the entire offseason. Money. I'll start with you, We'll go around the horn.
Speaker 2: We've talked about so many different things from January to present. What would you say was the biggest takeaway? What did you learn about this Chargers team this offseason? If you had to kind of distill it down.
Speaker 3: To one thing, there's really not you know, it's tough to have any real takeaways from you know, kind of guys running around in shorts and helmets, as you know. But I think for me just based on and obviously I read everything that Jeff and Lindsay are posting and writing along with the other people that cover the team, and that's the true excitement is around Kellen Moore and I think it was born of some of the frustrations surrounding what a Joe Lombardi offense looked like. And we don't even really know what the offense is going to look like, but it's the unknown, and we know that the Cowboys offense has been good the last couple of years, and so I think that's to me, it feels like that's the centerpiece of Hope Springs Eternal, what's going to make the Chargers take the next step this year? And Lindsay and Jeff I feel like Kellen Moore seems to be the centerpiece of what a lot of people are talking about.
Speaker 8: Definitely money. You took the words right out of my mouth.
Speaker 5: Though the offseason program, it's like, what's really going on out here?
Speaker 8: You can't it's hard to have any solid takeaways.
Speaker 5: Also because is such like a learning period and it's not really about competition. It's about getting the rookies up to speed on the playbook. It's about installing new things, trying new things, testing the limits on what they've already done. So it's a bit difficult to gauge. But to your point, Kellen Moore has absolutely been the focal point. There's a couple obviously rehab assignments that have been interesting to kind of monitor, but it's all about Kellen Moore and what he's going to do, especially with Justin Herbert, and obviously the Charters went into the draft and went to get another big receiver, so that was also interesting to monitor what Quinn Johnston's been doing and what teammates are saying about him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just echo the same thoughts, and I think the I think the other element of that is Justin Herbert and his health and the fact that I don't think we can We all talked about it, wrote about it forever during the season, but I think it's good to remember how limited he was for a good stretcher last year and now, you know, he appears to be healthy. And I think it's just that idea of like we've you know, our quarterback is healthy, we got a new offensive coordinator. So I think if you're the Chargers, you're their fans, you you know, you look at what the Cowboys did you look at you know, Mike McCarthy after the season last year talking, you know, had that quote about all Kellen Moore wants to do is score points and you and run up the you know, run up the totals and yeah, and people are like, well, what, yeah, that's the offensive.
Speaker 7: So you hear stuff like that and then you think, okay, now you you know, he did that with.
Speaker 6: Dak Prescott, and now he's got you know, Justin Herbert, who I think we all can agree is another level of passers certainly, and I think that's why, you know, people are just are super excited.
Speaker 7: About what what this will look like.
Speaker 6: And as everybody said, we have no idea yet, but you know, we'll learn that once the pads come on and once they get moved around a little bit, and especially those joint practices, you know, this summer.
Speaker 4: Money.
Speaker 2: When we left Jacksonville that night, I think there was a lot of uncertainty as to who was even going to be back, what they were going to do in terms of the offense, the coaching staff, different moves that they can make this offseason. And I think the biggest thing to set out to me is, you know, you look at Keenan's cap number and Mike's cap number. They're running this thing back with largely the same crew that they did it with this past year, and I think that they're confident that they can make that next leap and win a playoff game or two with this current group. But when we left Jacksonville that night shoot, I think everything was on the table in terms of what would happen in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: But it looks like they're going to keep that.
Speaker 2: Continuity, and that was really the I think that's stuck out to me the most going over these last six months.
Speaker 3: Well, I think, you know, part of that is born from just real you know, economic reality, and the fact that they spent all their money last offseason to get Brandon Staley the pieces that he wanted and had limited resources to spend this offseason. I think what you're speaking to, Chris is also, you know, you got older receivers, particularly Keenan.
Speaker 4: Typically guys that.
Speaker 3: Are over twenty nine don't necessarily put up big seasons in the NFL. It's just sort of the way, you know, history has been our guide at that particular position. So I thought maybe that'd be a way to free up some cap space. But the more I thought about it, the more I just think about where we were exactly a year ago after.
Speaker 4: They signed J. C.
Speaker 3: Jackson, after they signed Sebastian Joseph Day, and Austin Johnson and everybody was talking about this team as a legitimate super Bowl threat, and I think, you know, it may sound a bit optimistic going into this season, or I've worked for the Chargers, so perhaps it's a homer take people can say that, but it's a really good roster, Like that was a really good roster last year that got absolutely beat to hell and they still made the playoffs. They still had a twenty seven zero lead at halftime before things just went horribly wrong. They you know, once again, we're trading blows with the Chiefs into the final two minutes of a game, only to watch, you know, defeat emerge from victory. So I think there was a lot of reasons why you would you would want to run it back. The one thing that I'd like to see more of, you know, Lindsay is and we've talked about it's just depth, you know, so that doesn't happen again, so there is more depth available if in fact injuries show up.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, it's been really interesting.
Speaker 5: I think just this entire offseason is it is the same roster that a year ago we were talking about. We were talking about it, outsiders, national people all kinds of people were talking about this is a super Bowl caliber roster, and then you look at it and arguably it did get a little bit better when you bring back or you bring in Eric Kendricks, a you know, inside linebacker. Obviously there's a couple of questions in the secondary, but the narrative is just really changed, at least from kind of a big picture of perspective, it's like the team's another year older at under achieved last year. I think it's just be really interesting to see if this group can stay healthy, which seems to be a big question, If this group can stay healthy, candidate achieve at the level that they were anticipated to a year ago. It's just it's been really just an interesting thing to watch how they went from being among the favorites and then it's like maybe they people just don't trust them anymore, right do you trust them after you blow a lead like that? Because it looks like on this roster, I mean when I go through it and I make like off season roster projections, it's like, from top to bottom at every position, they're really good. Depth is a concern, but I think you look at a lot of teams and depths always going to.
Speaker 8: Be a concern if you're bringing stars at most starting positions, which arguably the Chargers have.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I don't know about you, guys.
Speaker 6: There's a part of me that if I was sort of handicapping this team, there's a little bit of a concern. You know, when teams don't make changes, a lot of times it doesn't work. Like it seems like in sports that if teams like a ton of changes, like they add a bunch of guys, you see it in all sports. A lot of times that doesn't work. It takes a year or so. And then when teams don't do much a lot of times that.
Speaker 7: Doesn't work either.
Speaker 6: So I would be a little bit leary just you know, there really hasn't been other than Kendricks replacing Drew tranquill and and Nozadlely retiring. I mean, right, there's not much. Not much has changed on the on the roster. Now they change coordinators and they shuffle the coaches, which which I'm sure you know they'll they would point to that and say, well, you know, things have changed, and to money, as Money said, they a lot of this was economically driven where they couldn't really do a ton but there is part in the back of my mind I have been thinking, you know, all off season that you know, they haven't done a whole lot, and I've covered a lot of teams and other you know, in football, other sports where when they don't change a lot, it doesn't always, it doesn't always you know, recapture any kind of thing, you know, glory that they thought they were going to have.
Speaker 7: Now, the other aspect of that is a bunch.
Speaker 6: Of guys were hurt last year, so you know, we didn't really see that team necessarily the way they anticipated. So maybe that's you know, maybe that factors into it too. But I know I have been thinking about the fact that, you know, I don't want to say it's stagnant, but it is. You know, they're they're running it back basically almost intact.
Speaker 2: Jeff, it's a great point, and I think it starts with the quarterback, and you alluded to his health last year. I think there's three parts to the Justin Herbert off season story right now. Right his health, which seems to be pretty good right now, the contract, which we expect to be coming here sooner than later, and then really his play on the field, and if Kellen Moore can unlock another level to Justin Herbert that he's gonna need to get to to beat the Patrick Mahomes and all these quarterbacks that we talk about in the AFC and money. I kind of want to dig into that that last point because I think to Jeff's point, not much has changed, but I think they are expecting Kellen More to unlock another level at Justin Herbert that can perhaps get them to the Divisional championship and eventually a Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'll pick up on something Jeff sort of finished with there about the you know, it's a roster that's coming back in tex So where you know, where do you get that extra push? And you know it's a new Green Dot, So you've got a new you know, head of communication on defense, and you've heard about, you know, kind of what Derwin has said and sort of how they feel about Eric Kendricks now manning that role. It sounds like that's a big positive. But I think beyond that, and this is a tough thing to measure because I think, you know, we're fortunate enough to see it here that fans don't what players look like at the end of a football game. You know what what that sixty minutes does to their bodies and the toll that it takes. So for people you know that talk about motivation and well, you know, Joey's going to want to prove, you know, to the people you know about how that ended in Jacksonville and all those games that he missed, and same thing with you know, they were Shawn Slater, who was you know, was lost in the third game, and he wants to be that protector. And I appreciate all that. At the same time, I know what this game does to these guys, and so I think the idea that they have some sort of motivation to prove to people, oh this this is I'm really going to show you.
Speaker 4: You watched to see what you know j. C.
Speaker 3: Jackson has in store for you, Well, yeah, I mean you're getting your head caved in for sixty minutes seventeen times a year. So I think those motivations are hard to predict and hard to project. But I think Jeff, just kind of to your point of you know what's different. I think the flip side of that and kind of where I'm going with it is there are other guys in your position group that are out there getting their asses kicked while you're on a stationary bike. And I do think there is some of that. I feel responsible. I feel as though I am indebted to them because I wasn't out there with them. So I think that's maybe where some of that will come from the way the game, the way the season ended, how much better they felt that just the way they lost those two games to the Chiefs. You know, you've got Corey Linsley goes down and that pretty much directly leads to the to the injury to Justin Herbert, you know, nothing against you know Clapp, but like that's what happened. It was a blown assignment on the interior that led to Justin you know, getting beat up. So that's where I'm looking along with Chris what you said with Kellen Moore, I think that's where I'm looking for. That that change that could make things a little bit different this year and and maybe make it feel like, Okay, it's not going to end that the way it has the last two seasons, with this incredible disappointment on the last game that we've played of the season.
Speaker 2: Lindsey, what are your thoughts on on Justin taking another step.
Speaker 1: In his career were on the field.
Speaker 2: You know, we've seen him break every singing record you know, throughout his first two three years. But I think there's an extra gear he needs to get to if this team is going to get to where.
Speaker 4: They want to go.
Speaker 3: Unless you want to build on that elongated disaster of an answer I just gave to this question, I don't think I even.
Speaker 5: I will touch on just let me take My brain doesn't work anymore, so I just have to take notes on like the points I'm trying to make, just touching on the chain. It was really interesting last year because I was.
Speaker 8: The first time not first time a.
Speaker 5: New beer bord of my first year on the beat, and I I'm not gonna lie to you, guys, I had a really challenging time writing about this team because it's like every week there was a new important role person or star player who wasn't available, and so it's like, by the end of the season, I was like, what the heck do they even have here? Most vivid game in my mind when they performed well was Week two and so I think, okay, like we didn't see that iteration of that football team again for the rest of the season. So just kind of going back around to what Matt and Jeff said is just I think there is change because you didn't have your star left tackle out there most of the season. You didn't have Keenan and Mike going for Justin Herbert, which brings me, we'll circleing like this to Justin Herbert. I think we do need to see him take another step, and I think he's going to be able to do that one just by his play. Kellen Moore is gonna say, you have got a heck of an arm.
Speaker 8: Let's go use it.
Speaker 5: I mean, I can't tell you how many opposing coaches I've spoken to over the last two years covering this team in twenty twenty for mostly television purpose or twenty twenty one for mostly television purposes.
Speaker 8: The last season, I.
Speaker 5: Taught you so many opposing coaches and they're like Justin Herbert. One guy said, is build a quarterback. He's like the absolute physical specimen you want. His arm can do anything. So hopefully Kellen Moore and watching this what he wants to do this spring, really pushes Justin and enables him and empowers him to go down the field, and then I think we can see a whole new dynamic open up when you have Keenan and you have Mike. Keenan's older, but he's still a good receiver. He's going to catch the football, He'll be more open, he'll have more space to work in if you can stretch the field like what they're anticipated do with Quentin Johnston and Mike Williams. So I also think there's a component where Justin in his going to his fourth season, he's got all the physical tools, undoubtable, undoubt, but I don't know. I do question whether or not he can take this team to a super Bowl because there's more to being a franchise quarterback than throwing the football a really long way. And absolutely that helps, but I think that there's some moments in the locker room, some moments around where you just feel like they need a little bit stronger presence from him. And that's really hard to quantify. It's it's very like an intangible but just in going on eight years covering the NFL, when you've been around championship quarterbacks, you feel feel a little bit more.
Speaker 8: Of a vibe from them off the field.
Speaker 5: So maybe as teammates feel it and we just don't see it, But personally, I'd like to see a little more.
Speaker 3: Is it like the dog there's the kids like to say, Lindsay, you want to see the dog in him?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I think he's got plenty of dog.
Speaker 5: I mean, he went out there and played with broken ribs, he went out there and played with a hurt shoulder.
Speaker 8: I think he's got plenty of dog in him. But I think there are moments.
Speaker 5: When you kind of feel like guys are looking around looking to.
Speaker 4: Be legal vocal vocal, maybe vocal.
Speaker 8: Maybe it's just I don't know, but it's not like raw raw.
Speaker 5: But I do get the sense that there are young people or people who are new to the organization who sometimes look around and you kind of see it, and you know, Justin's a lead by example, and maybe sometimes there could be a little more element of just the total embodiment of a franchise quarterback.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna get killed for this, right, you know.
Speaker 3: Look, I think, Lindsay, I think just In Jeff, I know you want to pick that up. But I think one of the things that we heard coming out of the Jacksonville game is and it's fair or not, but it's like, you know, and this is what he's got to deal with because of his talent level. Is Joe Burrow's not losing a twenty game they lead twenty seven to ohn, Josh Allen is not losing a game they lead twenty seven to other. Patrick Mahomes is not going to lose a game, whether it's on Justin or it's on the defense, or they couldn't run the ball. I think that's what you're talking about, I feel, I mean, I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I think that's what a lot of people said coming out of that game, like, Hey, if you're the guy, if you're the bild A quarterback.
Speaker 4: You gotta win that game like that, that's a.
Speaker 3: Game that you have to win in the postseason. And so I think that's perhaps what'll at least I think kind of what I would point to this season is, Yeah, those are those are the moments that you're trying to figure out, like you can't lose that game, that that game cannot be lost, and the quarterback gets the credit, the head coach gets the credit, and the quarterback gets the blame and the head coach gets the blame. And I think that's perhaps what are that well it's not. Perhaps it's what the last takeaway was from last season.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and when you look at what they're about to give him as far.
Speaker 5: As a contract, you know, you make a lot of money, soon to be making a lot of money.
Speaker 8: You carry a lot of there's a lot on your shoulders. You know.
Speaker 5: It's just it's a it's the hardest position in sports for a reason, like a lot of praise, a lot of blame. You know, at some point all those stats need to equate to wins in the postseason.
Speaker 2: Jeff Money and I talked about this last week, and Money had a much better point about this than I did. I we talked about the Jacksonville game, and these guys are like, we don't want to talk about Jacksonville anymore.
Speaker 1: It's a new season, and I was like, you know.
Speaker 2: What, maybe this is the start to the end of talking about Jacksonville and they could actually focus on this team with Kellen Moore. And I know it's a lot of the same guys, but it's each season is different. This thing ain't going away because every time we talk about this team, Jacksonville gets mentioned, as it should, and I think that this team is going to have to find that balance of all right, let's focus on a new season, and also we're gonna have to live with this because it ain't going away.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think what a few of the players have said this. Derwin James said it the other day. They just need to play a game, and then typically in sports, when you play a game, that other game goes away. Now, if they come out and they win their open or big and everything's great, then that'll a lot of that will go away until they get to the end of the season they have a must win or they're in the playoffs, and we all go back to it again.
Speaker 7: But that's the nature of sports.
Speaker 6: And you know, Money said that, it's these quarterbacks. The wins and losses are on the quarterbacks and the head coaches and by extension, the coordinators. Always that's what that's how this league works. It might not be fair, but that's how it works.
Speaker 7: And I remember a.
Speaker 6: Couple of years ago, I think it was training camp, I asked Justin Herbert about the the notion of wins and losses being on a quarterbacks record, and he gave a really good answer and basically saying he thought that was kind of silly that it's you know, it's eleven men on the side. It's you know, there's it's true, there's so much involved in it that you put it on one guy is kind.
Speaker 7: Of ridiculous, but we all do it and we all look, you know, you go to you know.
Speaker 6: Pro Football Reference and the quarterbacks records are there as a starter, and so I thought that was interesting and now here a couple of years later, we're looking at that and to think that's his perspective is is he kind of isn't in that group of it's kind of silly to grade quarterbacks that way, but that's how he's going to be graded. And Money said it exactly right. You know that that's the the nature of sports is Patrick Mahomes doesn't lose that game, you know, Josh Allen doesn't lose that game. That it's not necessarily fair, but that's the reality and that's the you know, that's the reality the these guys are all facing, and no one more so than than Justin Herbert.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, to Lindsay's point, like the the one thing I think of and again, look, I you know, I do a radio show every day, so it's like, you know, we're in the middle of it, and plenty of you guys you know, I mean, you post columns or we all have social media feeds, we interact with people, and and I think to your point, lindsay about Justin, like, what what is it? Like, what what is it that you're looking to see? I don't need to see more talent from Justin Herbert. I can just see him throw the ball more downb it, that's not it. Like if I were to try to put a you know, to put a pin on it, it would be when Joe Lombardi calls in that freaking jet sweep to Michael Bandy on you know, on a third and one, Herbert goes, He goes, f you are you out of your mind? Everybody, we are quarterbacks sneaking this. I'm taking I'm six foot six, two hundred and forty pounds and we're getting the first down can jet sweep? And then when you go to the locker room, you put your finger in his chest and you're like, don't ever do that again. Don't ever call that play again. And that's that's kind of what I think we're speaking to. That's being comfortable, like, Okay, this is what I have to do. I'm not just out here to execute, because I can execute every play that is called into me perfectly. I know, and we know he can do that, Like we've seen it play in and play out. It's feeling comfortable overruling and saying this is not your offense. This is my offense, all right, and from now on, don't ever do that again. Like that's that's I think what you're trying to look for, you know, because we see it, right, we see what was that argument with you on the sideline with you know, and that's what makes great quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: You know why.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying you have to do that all the time, but it's those patent member Hey, Patrick and Andy Reid, we're getting into it on the sideline, well you know, Jalen Hurts and Shane we're into it on the side. Well, yeah, that's what happens. That's what you're talking about. When those quarterbacks feel comfortable, you know, to say, hey, what are we doing here?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Like I'm out there, I see it all. Why would you call that play that's not okay? You know, I think that's it's kind of what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: You want the guy to wait wave off on fourth down, get the get the team off the field.
Speaker 4: We're going for it exactly too. We're going exactly exactly.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I just want exactly.
Speaker 4: I want to make sure I crystallize it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to make sure it's just a case people forgot was a disaster.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just remember what like, you're talking about one play and stakes out. You just in the press box, You're like, what are they doing?
Speaker 3: That's Lindsay, That's exactly what I said on the air, and I actually thought of I was like, I probably shouldn't have said that.
Speaker 4: I said, what are we doing? What are we doing? You know?
Speaker 3: And that's and that's perhaps why we're talking about Kellen Moore today.
Speaker 6: It reminds me a little bit remember the Anthony let the end of Anthony Lynn's tenure, when they had a couple those plays where they inexplicably ran the ball when you absolutely can't run the ball.
Speaker 7: I remember at the time.
Speaker 6: Saying that the quarterback has to know we can't run this play.
Speaker 7: And now we're a.
Speaker 6: Couple, you know that was you know, we're a couple of years later and money's right, and if you know they're about to give this guy whatever one hundred and thirty one hundred and fifty million dollars and guaranteed. You know, in guarantees, you need him to overrule in certain situations. And part of that, I think it's Justine's personality. I'm sure part of it's is upbringing. You know, it's if you think about it's got to be it's tough for to overrule your coach. But he's in a position where he's that's that might be that.
Speaker 7: Next step we're talking about her looking for.
Speaker 6: Is that, Yeah, that's what you have to do.
Speaker 7: That's how you're getting paid to do.
Speaker 6: And you know, if it if it rubs some people the wrong way, who cares.
Speaker 7: I mean, you're the quarterback, you're the franchise.
Speaker 6: You know, you you take taking this thing. And I think that's I think the Chargers would love to see him do that.
Speaker 3: And I think a lot of that too is you know, think about who we're you know who we're talking about, right, Andy Reid, who's a quarterback whisperer and empowers his quarterbacks, and it's all about this is yours we're doing this to. You know, hear about those meetings earlier in the week that he has and the quarterbacks in it. Let's find the plays and let's you know, and then you hear about you know, think about Joe Burrow, the guy played for Ed or Jaron for God's sakes, I mean, the man's a psychopath. So you know, like he was like, oh, you got to get the dog, got it, Joe? You know, So justin came from Mario Christaball who basically told him you are not to turn the ball over. We have a great defense. We will run the ball. You will run the ball. The last thing we can do is put the look in a one a rose bowl. And then Anthony Lynn was a run first head coach. My defense is gonna play for me. We're gonna run the ball, run the ball. We're not we're gonna protect the ball. I love Tyrod Taylor. That's my kind of quarterback. Like so, I think it's also important to remember like this, this is this guy's upbringing. These are the coaches that he played for. And so I think to have a new head coach or a new coordinator that and and then there's Joe Lombardi. You know, Drew Brees, ball's out, Ball's got to be out. Let's get the ball out, you know, Let's let the receivers do the hard work. You don't need to stand back there and wait. Let's ball in receivers hands. AT's all about run after. It's all YAK. So that's why I'm excited about Kellen. You know, he was able to pair the talent of DAK, the leadership of DAK, the processing. Dak is an incredible process or like, all of that into a top into a number one offense, and so I think he needs that. Hey man, and look what happened with Shane. You know what was Shane Shane's quarterback. Shane was a quarterback at UNLV's. He's a guy that knows and he's like, no, what are we doing. We're pushing the ball downfield, t Billy, Jalen, Guyton, Let's go sling it.
Speaker 4: So to have that guy in that position, I think is going to go a long way.
Speaker 2: Jeff Lindsay Money and I talked about this at length last week. All Eckler, his whole situation, the devaluation of the quarterback or the running back.
Speaker 1: Rather, you guys were there, you heard him talk to the media. You guys ask questions to him.
Speaker 2: What is your take on what happened? With Austin this offseason and what it's going to look like moving forward.
Speaker 8: Lindsay my take on what happened with Austin.
Speaker 5: You know, I think for Austin's sake, he had to go see what was out there and if anybody would give him a big deal.
Speaker 8: He has outplayed his contract, There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 5: I think the handwriting was a little bit on the wall that there is currently not a market out there for running backs to go make a lot of money, especially you know, Austin's proven himself, but he's twenty eight. He has a lot of miles on those tires, and he's bet on himself.
Speaker 8: And I respect that, and I respect it.
Speaker 5: This undrafted guy who led the NFL in touchdowns last year, who put up an insane I think number one in the league and yards after catch, so he he had every right to ask for more, to go look for more. I don't think it's surprising at all that he's back. I don't think it's surprising that he had only one point seventy five million added an incentives, because at the end of the day, teams just don't have to pay running backs. And I think we could argue till we're blue in the face. Why that is or why that shouldn't.
Speaker 8: Be, But that is what it is.
Speaker 5: And you know, I think Austin has wants to come back out. I think there's been some questions like, well, how motivated is it gonna be in this his final year here? Well, yeah, and he's playing to prove that next year he gets another contract somewhere.
Speaker 8: So I mean, I.
Speaker 5: Think Austin's gonna put in the same work that he's always put in. I think he's gonna have a fantastic season with Kellen Moore. I don't think it's gonna be the season it was a year ago, because I think Kellen Moore is going to be a coordinator who can find other guys in the red zone.
Speaker 8: But he's a tool that they absolutely need.
Speaker 5: And I have no doubt that Austin's gonna go out there and put forth the same effort and contribute greatly to the offense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I definitely he's a guy. Yeah, he's not a guy you need to worry about. I think Lindsay's right on it. And it's just a bad time in the history of the NFL to be a running back.
Speaker 7: That's just the reality of it. But I think, you know, when when.
Speaker 6: He first requested a trade and the Chargers gave him permission and gave his agent permission, I thought maybe that there was maybe a chance somebody could do something just because of his production, his Red Zone production, his touchdowns. But you know, as the market unfolded, it just it was even it was even more glimb than than I think that then a lot of us had anticipated. I mean, it took even more of a downturn. So at that point, I think it was pretty clear he was coming back. But I don't think anybody needs to worry about his motivation or what He's gonna be the same guy and the you know, the charge is gonna need him to be the same guy because they they have the same running backs and uh so, uh it gets back to the Kellen Moore thing and and.
Speaker 7: How he's going to be able to.
Speaker 6: Exploit Austin And I think, you know, Lindsey's probably right, and I think it would be best for the Chargers if if she is right, and and his his he's maybe not a productive scoring wise, which means other guys are more involved, which which they need because you can't just keep you know, you can't keep counting him to score uh whatever it is, you know, half your half or more and half your touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, buddy, I wanted.
Speaker 4: To go ahead, Yeah, go ahead, Chris No.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna get your thoughts on this.
Speaker 2: But also it reminded me yesterday Sony Michelle was signed by the Rams. You remember at the beginning of the year, we were we were wondering, like, hey, Josh Kelly's getting like five yards of pop and they take him out and Sony just for whatever reason, didn't have it.
Speaker 1: So, you know, it's a kind of a two part thing.
Speaker 2: With Yes, I think Austin's gonna have a productive year, but they're looking for that second guy, and maybe it is Josh Kelly.
Speaker 1: We've talked about Isaiah Spiller a lot.
Speaker 2: But I just it struck me funny when I saw the Sony signing, and I was like, man, it just reminded me that Josh Kelly had a pretty good start of the year. But in like two, three, four touches a game.
Speaker 3: You know, it'll be interesting, you know what players are still out there the first week or the second week of training camp, because that's where a lot of these players are gonna get signed. And we've talked about this at nause and right, Chris Janiking Gockway is still out there, and Frank Clark is still out there, and Leonard Floyd, who Brandon Staley knows, is.
Speaker 4: Still out there.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a lot of players out there in particularly at the running back position.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So if that second player does not raise his hand in a hurry in training camp, I'll be interested to see if some of that money that's still out there is used, because Kellimore likes having that second back. So that's I think, and it's something that Austin has not shied away from.
Speaker 4: I think the one thing about Austin.
Speaker 3: And we said this repeatedly, yes he is he is severely underpaid for the production that he provides. But he's also lucky that he was an undrafted free agent and he was able to get that second contract.
Speaker 4: At least he got that.
Speaker 3: At least he got his twenty five million bucks, which a lot of running backs don't. They're drafted in the fourth round. They chew him up over four years, they may not even get a second they might even get franchised. And you're talking about a career earnings of like three and a half million bucks and you put up, you know, three four thousand yards of offense and twenty plus touchdowns. So I'm happy for Austin that he was able because he does bust his tail and he always come and you saw him at camp. He always comes in camp in shape. He's great in the community. He just built that weight room for Long Beach. Polly Like, he's a great dude, he's a great teammate, he's a great player. The sad thing is, and we said this, you know, we talked about this last week, Chris like, I don't think it's fair.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 3: I wish that running backs could get to their second contract sooner that for you can't do that. The CBA has already been negotiated. But if we could just get them to their second contract by year three or something, running backs don't pt. The numbers just are not there once they hit twenty eight, twenty nine years old. It is a steep slope that the players that do continue to produce are complete and total outliers. And that's why these numbers look the way they do, and that's why the contracts look the way they do.
Speaker 4: So I'm hopefully hits all.
Speaker 3: Of his incentives that he makes eight million bucks this year, and I don't know what it'll look like going forward. So to me, it's just a it's a very narrow focus. It's how's Austin going to play this year? And I think anything beyond that is Look, Josh Jacobs doesn't want to report for camp. Josh James led the league in rushing last year and he couldn't find a multi year deal. Like it's it's just crazy the way that position is is treated in the league, and now everybody's sad.
Speaker 6: Sorry, and the show grinds.
Speaker 4: He's like, man, that is too bad these guys, that's it's terrible.
Speaker 2: We you know, we we've no the awesome story has been running to the ground.
Speaker 1: We've talked a lot about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's still got some trend on the tires.
Speaker 1: Jeff Lindsay. Defensively, I think you can go in a number of directions. What's the biggest.
Speaker 2: Defensive storyline entering this year? You know, the Bosa and mac tandem. Maybe staying healthy comes to mind.
Speaker 4: J C.
Speaker 2: Jackson and really just overall this defense getting better in an effort to help the offense, which we expect to score points.
Speaker 8: Lindsay yeah, for me, it's Bosa Mack you hit on it. And then J C.
Speaker 5: Jackson, I think this is the last time we'll see Bosa and Mac together. I don't see it in twenty twenty way you were in twenty for twenty four that those guys are going to be able to make it happen.
Speaker 8: With their contracts, they both were structured.
Speaker 5: I think one of those guys is probably not gonna be here for the long haul, so whether or not that partnership can really kind of come to fruition and be what it was expected to be like, which is one of the most feared tandems in the NFL. Obviously, if they get going, that would be a big, big boost for this defense, because if one of them gets hurt, I think they're in a world of hurt without a really strong pass rush and no proven backups. So I think that's a big position that I will be watching.
Speaker 8: And then J C. Jackson, I don't think he'll be emphasized enough.
Speaker 5: Obviously, this guy is signed a huge contract, he's coming off a devastating injury, and I think it would be a little bit easier to say, Okay, all he's got to do is rehab and get better and come back out because he.
Speaker 8: Was doing great last year.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately for him, he wasn't playing well last year before the injury.
Speaker 8: It just seemed like he wasn't a fit for the defense.
Speaker 5: Whether that was mentally physically what they were asking him to do, I think that much is kind of unclear.
Speaker 8: Still might have been both. But he is a huge wild card.
Speaker 5: And someone who when you look at the personnel in the secondary, they absolutely need him to play.
Speaker 8: The amount of money he's taken.
Speaker 5: Up and the lack of depth at the position they need J. C.
Speaker 8: Jackson to perform.
Speaker 6: I am glad that we got to the defense because being the boring guy on this among the spoortsom that's the one thing I keep talking about and I write about it really the everyone and I get it with Kellen Moore and Justin.
Speaker 7: And everything else on offense.
Speaker 6: But to me, they're gonna throw the ball, They're gonna their offense is gonna be okay. I think this it's gonna be determined. This season is gonna come down to their defense, and it's it's sort of accentuated by the fact that their head coach got his job because of what he did as a defensive coach. So I will promise you that it bugs the crap out of Brandon Staley what's happened to his defense the last two seasons.
Speaker 7: And he, I'm sure.
Speaker 6: Is one hundred percent confident that they're going to really take a step forward and they're going to be a lot better against the run. They're gonna be a lot better getting off the field than they've been, And to me, I think that as this season unfolds, that's the thing that's really going to determine what this team does, because I don't have any doubts about what's going to happen on offense. I think they're going to be more explosive. I think they're going to score, and I think Herbert's going to put a big numbers and Austin's going to do his thing, And to me, it just comes down to the defense is going to really determine the fate of this season.
Speaker 7: And so.
Speaker 6: It's not nearly as exciting to talk about, but I think it's I don't think we can talk about it enough or emphasize enough.
Speaker 7: They need to be better.
Speaker 6: In those crucial moments than they were and they you know, twenty seven to nothing. They played a lot a big role in that falling apart too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's a great point, Jeff, because look, Brandon is very polarizing in the media, from his fourth down aggressiveness his first season, to having Justin Herbert and not making the playoffs his second season, to losing a twenty seven to zero lead, and his last season. The one thing I'll say about coach Staley is his game plans have been fantastic. You know, Miami is ripping the league apart. And let's even go to the week before that, right, they go into San Francisco, and the narrative is this is going to be humiliating. This is a nationally televised game. The Charger's supposed to make the Super Bowl this year, and Kyle Shanahan is going to make a fool of Brandon Staley in this game. And everybody's hurt and how are they and they're in that game, they are trading punches until the fourth quarter with a completely decimated roster. The following week, oh boy, could lose three games in a row. Here, you know what Mike McDaniel is doing to the league and all this speed. How are they to contend with it? And he's got a brilliant game plan and he drops his second level of the defense a little bit deeper, keeps everything in front, and the defense wins that game. So that's the thing about coach Staatea that I think it's very unfortunate for him, and I do think a lot of it is of his own making. He really kind of puts himself out there in the media, and I think that causes people to pick sides on do you like him, do you not like him? But I think the one thing that I will always stick up for coaches the game plans are there, and they are they're there. For Kansas City, I thought they got absolutely screwed in that third week of the season on Thursday Night with some horrible calls by officiating that should have led to two turnovers that didn't. The pass interference call, which was an abject failure that should have led to a turnover. Instead it led to a touchdown for the Chiefs because it gave him a goal to go situation, and then of course to pick off by a Sante Samuel that looked like an interception. I think that was really hard turnover so that I don't want to, you know, legislate those things. But what I'm saying is the game plans are there. Like I think it's hard to argue that he's not a good defensive strategist. He has been able to win games, I think based on his schemes and what his approach is going to be to try to get the better of these offenses going in and the roster has just been decimated. I do think there are moments where it's gotten away from him where you know, perhaps you know whether it's personnel or and that happens to everybody. But I guess what I'm getting at is, if you guys want to build on it is I do feel like he's a good defensive coach, Like you see these first half of games and the way these things stack up and the turnovers that are created are the numbers that they're being posted. It's just got to the results gotta be there. The results are not there. I feel like I don't know what I'm trying to say. I don't know if he gets out adjusted at halftime or what's going on if there's no such thing as halftime adjustments. But you know what I'm getting at It just feels like it feels like it's there, like what you're looking for, Jeff, I feel like is available. I just don't know why it's not led to better results.
Speaker 2: Lindsey, let me jump in real quick. I want you, I want to get your take on this, because Warren Sharp had a tweet last week. They got a lot of traction. The Chargers won ten games last year. These are the quarterbacks that they beat. Davis Mills, Marcus Mariota, Jacoby Brissett, Baker Mayfield who was with the Rams for a cup of coffee, Nick Foles who we know was there for a second, Russell Wilson in overtime, Ryan Tannehill, Kyler Murray coming back from injury, Derek Carr and Tua.
Speaker 1: You don't see Josh.
Speaker 2: Allen or Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers on that list.
Speaker 1: And guess what you're going to New York this year.
Speaker 2: Lamar Jackson's coming here, justin Fields is coming here. So I think, collectively, as Money said, collectively, this defense just has to get better and there are gonna be times where they're gonna have to stop Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen or Russell Wilson with Sean Payton in order to win football games, and you know you win and you who's in front of you on your schedule, but the quarterback you go one up in class in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: Yeah, without question, And I, like money said earlier, I don't want to be a Brandon Staley apologist, but in one season watching this defense, they did. They went in with a great game plan in San Francisco. They had a good game plan Week two against the Chiefs. They've had some good game plans. Why they can't capitalize on that and why they can't produce a win out of that? Sometimes it's like you really scratch your head and you know it's hard to put your thumb on. I mean, there's no team that I've covered that was as challenging to define as this team was last year. And you think of the San Francisco game and three healthy defensive linemen by the end of it. I know every team goes through injuries, but this team was decimated by injuries. And so for me with Brandon stay with even with the quarterbacks, he's facing tough ones this season, like this has to be the year the defense produces, like it can't be excuses about injuries, it can't be any There's nothing that can come into play other than ten your defense produced, regardless of who's out there, regardless.
Speaker 8: Of who you're facing.
Speaker 5: If you want to get to the super Bowl, you're going to have to beat the Chiefs. And so this is kind of the the make or break for the defense year three, and you have to see the results because there's no other excuse to come turn to at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the thing that's tough to push back against, Lindsay is the numbers. You know, it's the worst run defense in the league. It's a terrible third down defense. It's like, that's that's what's just sort of maddening. I think you said it. You hit it on the head. It's so hard to define, you know, this this this team, this defense, because when you cover the team and you watch the team play in and play out, you're like, this a good team. Like they're doing this, this is a hell of a coaching job. Like did you watch that San Francisco, Well, yeah, but they lost. You know, did you watch the Chiefs can Well yeah, but Patrick Mahomes, well yeah, Gerald, you know, Joe, they're calling a play in when Gerald Everett's trying to tap out and it's a pick six. That's the difference in the game. Not to mention, like I said, two interceptions that are overturned, but that's not reality. Reality is they lost the game and Patrick Mahomes beats them every single time. And you know that's a Brandon Staley coach defense that you've got to lead with three minutes left in prime time at SOFI Stadium, and somehow the call comes in and Travis Kelcey breaks away from Derwin James, and that's who you want, That's who I want. I want Derwin James opposite Travis Kelcey one on one, Let's go your best and see you later, touchdown, game over. And it's just it's it's hard to qualify. It's hard to quantify because what the numbers tell you it is and what you feel like you're seeing it's just a weird It's a that side of the foot is so freaking hard to analyze, describe, and get.
Speaker 4: A feel for.
Speaker 5: Well, can I just add in, it's also hard to analyze and describe because I have talked, I've covered Brandon as a defensive coordinator with the Rams covered him now obviously with the Chargers, and his defense isn't simple. You talk to a lot of his players and it is quite complicated. It took some time when he became the DC for the Rams for those guys to understand because Brandon sees so much and the call would come in for the defense and the play caller or the signal caller out on the field, the green dot as everyone looks to call him. Right, he had a hard time initially communicating what Brittan.
Speaker 8: Was communicating because Brandan sees so much and so I don't even know where I was going with this. Oh, it's hard for us to find because I think he is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because he he is a defense of mind.
Speaker 8: He does see so much. But sometimes that can also cloud you because things can get over complicated. But maybe that means that with.
Speaker 5: Some of those complications that now three years then these guys have it down.
Speaker 1: Jeff.
Speaker 2: It goes back to your point about change versus kind of staying the same. I think the personnel kind of stays the same. But you know, we saw Michael Davis take a huge leap learning that defense from year one to year two.
Speaker 1: All those injuries.
Speaker 2: If jac comes back and Khalil and Joey can stay healthy for a majority of the season, then you can unlock Derwin James to do what we thought he was going to do last year.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I feel like we always go into a season saying, all right, Darwin's going to be this chess piece, you could put it all over the field, and then a ton of dudes get hurt and he gets stuck just being like the guy in the secondary that has like tried to basically cover all bases.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: So I think maybe if it's injury injury, like it's huge. But Jeff, I'm looking at Darwin and if if those guys that I mentioned healthy, Darwin can really do a lot of damage as a first.
Speaker 1: Team love pro.
Speaker 7: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 6: And we you know there was a stuff the other from a week ago or a couple of weeks ago, whatever it was now on social media the Chargers put out about him working on the edge, which we've seen some of that, and obviously he can he can.
Speaker 7: Do that and he can play anywhere.
Speaker 6: You know, when you're you're thinking about Derwin's uh situation, I mean j T.
Speaker 7: Woods comes into play there.
Speaker 6: That's a guy who Brandon Staley, I think is convinced he can turn into not only a starting NFL player, but a really good NFL player. And one of the things that that Staley prides himself on is development. And that doesn't get talked about a whole lot, especially as a head coach, but he he's convinced that he.
Speaker 7: Can develop a guy like j. T.
Speaker 6: Woods into an effective defensive player. And if that that happens. We've talked about the depth and the lack of depth that in some spots. If that happens, now you you know Derwin. You can turn Derwin loose a little more. And you know, a guy like a guy like that that you know, or guy even a guy like Mark Webb. You know, if that guy can can give them some defensive snabs, some quality out there. You know that Again, that's another thing that could free up Derwin.
Speaker 7: So I do.
Speaker 6: I mean, everything we're saying is uh, I think is accurate, and it's it's right on. And in talking about this team and the difficulty and trying to sort of.
Speaker 7: Define why they maybe not have.
Speaker 6: The success that you'd expect, the one thing I was thinking, listen to all you guys say that was how many long time Charger fans are sitting there would be watching this going, yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 7: We've been saying this for fifty years.
Speaker 6: This is the Chargers, and unfortunately that is the reality of this franchise. You know, you know, you want to get Brendan stately going on something, ask him about the history of the team and how it affects this this year's team, and you know he I know, he's told all of us repeatedly. I'm sure that he can't believe we get lumped in with the history of this team, but he understands that's the reality of sports, and that's part of this franchise, and that is until they win, until they overcome all this stuff. That is going to be one of the narratives around the Chargers is they're just this team that's hard to figure out because they seem better in most seasons. They seem like they're better than their record ends up being.
Speaker 3: I think just sort of quickly, Chris, because I you know, I'm a slow processor, so I've got to, like, you know, figure these things out. And then I'm going to go back a question earlier an ad But I really like Warren Sharp. I'm a big fan of his he has had it out for the Chargers since they hired Joe Lombardi.
Speaker 1: Oh, no doubt.
Speaker 4: What I would say is rock.
Speaker 3: Purty made the AFC Championship Game, and if teams had beat brock Purty, you best bet your ass that that would have been on that list. Davis Mills brock Purty, Like I don't care who the quarterback is. All you gotta do is punch your ticket into the tournament and anything can happen. We have seen the Giants win three wild card games and win a Super Bowl. We saw the Tampa Bay Buccaneers win three you know, start in the wildcard round and win three road games and win a Super Bowl. Whatever path you've got to take to get into the tournament, take it. And the Bengals, the freaking Bengals made the Super Bowl two years ago. So, like the whole what does it mean about this team that these are the quarterbacks? I don't give a damn, you know, I care about what is the win total? Can you get to ten wins? Because if you can get to ten wins is the Jaguars are going to tell you anything can happen in the playoffs. You can be down twenty seven to nothing and find yourself with a lead in the third quarter in Kansas City against the eventual Super Bowl champions. So and so, what's the narrow gonna be after five weeks? If the Chargers are four and one, well they beat Tua and Tannehill and Kirk Cousins and Jimmy Garoppolo and you know, Mike mccarthew can't even coach offense anymore. Like, I don't care, win the games, win the games. Is it gonna be a tougher slate?
Speaker 4: Maybe? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the Raiders are gonna look like. Their offensive line still sucks. Jimmy Garoppolo's okay, He's not great? Is Russell Wilson? I love your workout video, Russell Sweet way to go, dude, that's what you want to put out there after last season? Show me throwing some iron around. That's great. So, like, you know, I don't I can we can buy into it, you know, we can buy into all that stuff. It's it's a much tougher quarterback slay. Aaron Rodgers was ninety percent retired three months ago.
Speaker 4: Does he really give a damn?
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know, I don't know, you know who's his offensive coordinator, Nate Hackett. How did that look last year? Like, so there's so many variables that go into the thing about is this going to be tougher?
Speaker 4: Is it going to be easier?
Speaker 3: It lays out great at the start, and then you got to deal with I mean they got you know, is Justin Fields was had the lowest passer I think he was what thirty third in or thirty fourth in QBR and passer and things like that guy's gonna be a nightmare to defend. Team's not good, but that guy's a freaking nightmare to try to figure out if he's just gonna grab the ball and run around like a psychopath like that can blow up a defense. You don't know what to do. Like it's you know, the league is weird. The schedule that we are looking at today is not going to look like that, you know in week fifteen or week fourteen. Who knows what it's going to look like, you know what I mean? Like that stuff to me is so crazy to try to try to lean on. Well, the Chargers weren't really that good last year because look at the quarterbacks they beat. Okay, well what quarterbacks beat them. You know, Derek Carr beat them, Brock Purty beat him. You know, it's like it was supposed to be a too of Justin Herbert Showdown and tour was humiliated.
Speaker 4: You know, is that fair?
Speaker 3: No, it's crazy, like it's crazy to try to Matt Jones is probably gonna beat him because Bill Belichick is it.
Speaker 4: Is a nightmare to play against. You know, it's just like it's it is what it is.
Speaker 6: I love the I love it, I know, I love I love when uh money gets a little salting, it gets a little.
Speaker 7: A little disparaging. I love it. I love it. It's great. It gets discussed.
Speaker 2: Warrit Sharp has headed out for the Chargers too, like you know you he probably I really do it for great tweet warranges. This is a great tweet to get people fired up. I will say that. List there, there weren't a lot of top tier quarterbacks, and you play who's in front of you one hundred percent. You win ten games in the AFC, you deserve to go to the tournament. But when Lamar Jackson comes to town, and you know, Nate Hackett and.
Speaker 1: Aaron Rodgers, Rogers want a MVP with him.
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago, so you know, Josh Allen's coming to SOFI Stadium, Patrick Mahomes twice, Russell Wilson can't be any worse than he was last year.
Speaker 1: So it's just the AFC is a beast, which is kind of my final question.
Speaker 2: Guys, what does this charge seem going to look like in twenty twenty three in this loaded AFC?
Speaker 8: Lindsay, of course you're starting with me.
Speaker 5: What are they gonna look at? I hate, I don't know, I don't know. The AFC is a gauntlet, is daunting.
Speaker 8: I heard. I haven't verified this yet, but.
Speaker 5: I heard that when the schedule makers were looking at the schedule, they're looking at every all the factors. What makes the schedule tough, what makes it easier? The common denominator was do you have to play the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chargers have to play them twice? So who knows how they're going to do? As long as they're in the same division as the Chiefs. They're chasing them, obviously, so the best they can hope for is to maybe beat them.
Speaker 8: I think realistically, you hope that you come in second.
Speaker 5: In the division to them, and then you give yourself a chance once you reach the playoffs.
Speaker 8: But how is is gonna shake out? I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean that the Bills, obviously, the Bengals with Aaron Rodgers coming over to the conference. It's it's looking tough, But this is that's why you get paid. And why do these guys make all the money to go play the tough games?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Remember a year about this time, we were all talking the AFC West is it's unbelievable.
Speaker 7: All these teams are gonna be have.
Speaker 1: Winning records Division of Football.
Speaker 6: And then we saw it that the so so money is exactly right.
Speaker 7: The strength of schedule stuff.
Speaker 6: Talking about it right now is ridiculous because who the heck knows with any of the stuff. I think, uh, you know, I think the Chargers. I think they're gonna be good. I think they're gonna be a playoff team.
Speaker 7: The Chiefs are going to get one of these. The Chiefs aren't going to win the.
Speaker 6: Division, and I think the Chargers are the next best choice. And you go back two years ago that Thursday night game against the Chiefs at home. If they win that game, they're in first place. So I mean they were really close. Uh you know, in Brandon Stately's first season. So I don't there's no reason for me to you look at this team to think that they're they're going to go backward. I think, you know, and maybe you know this time of year, everybody's better and everybody's.
Speaker 7: You know, going to be really good.
Speaker 6: But I do think there's all kinds of reasons for optimism for this team, and I would be very surprised if if if I would maybe not if they don't make the play I'd be very surprised if they're not in the conversation at the very end again like they were in the last two years.
Speaker 7: But I you know, I fully expect.
Speaker 6: Them to to to challenge the Chiefs and to make the playoffs and and take another run at it.
Speaker 3: You know, I just go what we focused on too much in the AFC, and I understand it's quarterback le We just keep talking about these quarterbacks, and we keep saying, well, you know when you go through Justin Herbert Joe Burrow, and we're guilty of it.
Speaker 4: I'm not absolving myself from this. I've done it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm just looking at so I'm looking off to the side here. So Joe Burrow, Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence, Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert Russell Wilson. Like two of those guys aren't going to make the playoffs, And that's what we're focusing on when we should be focusing on the entire team. You know, like of all those teams, the Broncos roster is stacked. We know how good that defense was last year. And if Sean Payton can make any sort of impact, like just make them forty percent better on offense. You know, Javonte Williams being back and like what that could mean.
Speaker 4: Like that's the thing is do we trust the Jets?
Speaker 3: Do we really believe in that offensive line that has a swing tackle at left tackle and they have I think Mackai Beckton might play. Does it feel like playing football?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's the offensive line that we're talking about. So we know the Bengals are going to be good. We know the Chiefs are going to be good. I think last year we saw a little bit of an issue with the Bills with the offense and it got a little sideways there for a while. We were talking about they can't run the ball and Josh Allen's got to do too much and it's going to catch up with them at the end of the season. And it didn't mitigate obviously mitigating factors going into just the nightmare that they had to deal with toward the end of the season. But I think when you start going through if you don't just name quarterbacks, you start talking about coaches and rosters and like those sort of things. It's not just going to be the nine quarterbacks that come into play for seven spots. It's going to be did you go into a game against San Francisco, like you said, Lindsay, with three healthy defensive players, Like that's that's going to come into play as to which one of these teams gets excluded and you know, people get cut and the coaches it fired because it's like, no, we got a really good roster, they could have won the Super Bowl and we didn't even make the playoffs. And that's what's gonna happen this year, and it's it's gonna be competitive, and it's gonna be tough, and it's going to go beyond you know what the quarterback does.
Speaker 4: It just it has to.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Jets were terrible at quarterback last year, and they were in it until the final three weeks of the season.
Speaker 4: You know, so any anything.
Speaker 3: Could happen, and it doesn't have to be predicated on the success of the quarterback or what the name is on the back of their jersey.
Speaker 2: Mundy to piggyback off that you didn't mention the Steelers or Patriots because they don't have that quote unquote franchise quarterback they got. And you know, the Steelers, they finished the season very strong last year. Kenny Pikett looked encouraging, you know, and if if Mac Jones gets another weapon, you still have Bill Belichick coaching that team.
Speaker 4: That's great about me.
Speaker 3: Here's here's what's great about me is watch just the incredible hypocrisy that shows up immediately because I've been hearing too much about this Pittsburgh run at the end of the season and you just you can't help but go through the games and just be like, Okay, let's you.
Speaker 1: Play who's in front of your money.
Speaker 3: You play who's in front of you But to suggest that that is a precursor for success this year is I think a little foolish there. They played what did they closed with? Atlanta with they closed with Indianapolis when Atlanta Desmond Ritter. I don't even know who was quarterback in that team in Indianapolis at that time. So then you've got Atlanta when they lost to the third string quarterback of the Ravens.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: They beat Carolina, who in that game started Sam Darnold. After that, they beat Vegas after Derek Carr that was his last game, remember before he got benched and he was already on the way out. Then they end up beating Baltimore with the third string quarterback. And see what I mean. Like, and here I am being a hypocrite, like I'm just saying projecting future success for the Steelers based on the way they finished last season is a little bit misleading.
Speaker 2: If you just go to the last fifteen years, Mike, Mike Tomlins never had a losing record, You've.
Speaker 4: Got that's exactly right. Yes, that's what I would bank on.
Speaker 3: Like the Steelers are always in the mix and they have an incredible defense.
Speaker 6: That sounds to me like money had the under on the Steeler win total last year.
Speaker 3: You know what it is, it's it's my dear friend Dave Damashek and I screaming and yelling at each other when he suggested the Steelers were gonna win eleven games this year because of how strong they finished the season last year, and I said, that's just the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You want to project them to win eleven games five, but don't tell me it's because of how they finished the season last year against those teams that they finished against.
Speaker 4: Sorry you sniffed it out.
Speaker 3: Though, Jeff, there was an underlying agenda attached to that brand.
Speaker 2: Guys, we've kept you way late. Lindsey twenty seconds. What's a storyline for fans to keep the around a training can maybe a player or position group that you're kind of excited to watch come into July.
Speaker 5: I'm just gonna keep beating this drum, the Kellen Moore storyline. I mean, I really think that that is going to determine what this offense can do this season, is going to determine how far they go in the playoffs, and really, I mean that ultimately determines who's back next year.
Speaker 8: So I really it's what Kellen Moore.
Speaker 5: Can do with Justin Herbert, with Justin Herbert can do with what is now a plethora of talent.
Speaker 8: Mine is a little question market tight end.
Speaker 5: But you know, they feel confident what they got, so we'll see how that plays out. So for me, I just again it's the Kellen Moore situation, and then you got to talk about, Oh, Kellen has a great success. So what happens in twenty twenty four with Kellen Moore? But we'll save that for.
Speaker 1: Later a whole nother podcast.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, right, you'll be invited back, so you congratulations, Jeff Man.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna stick with defense. Maybe that's my theme im. It'll be fascinating to me to see what happens with j C. Jackson, you know, just if he can make it back. He seems to be uh on schedule and and as Lindsay mentioned, it'll be really interesting to see if he can perform in this defense because we don't know if he can yet, and you know what he did in New England, you can't deny that it was. Those numbers are ridiculous and if he if he can bring that to this team, it would be an enormous boost.
Speaker 7: So that's good.
Speaker 6: That would be the one guy if I was gonna watch one guy just to see see where he's at. And see how he comes along, because he could make a huge difference for this defense.
Speaker 1: M money, what you got?
Speaker 3: Why not kicker competition? The Chargers play close games. They play close games, they always do, and and I've been around long enough to see kickers ruined seasons for this team, completely ruined season. So I'm a I like Dustin Hopkins. I love Cameron Dicker. I do think they're to me. They just they play close games that the Chargers do for whatever reason, and and kicking can be the difference in wins and losses.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Lindsay, isn't the good news with this kicking competition is like they both were really good. I mean Dustin Hopkins I just wrote about that he lost he could potentially lose his job for kicking like a game winning field goal in overtime like that. That that is at least a much different scenario than like guys who couldn't hit a field goal to save their life.
Speaker 8: I mean, these are two guys.
Speaker 5: Who are are good, and so it's like an it's like an exciting competition, not like a oh my gosh, can anyone kick.
Speaker 8: A field goal?
Speaker 4: Competition?
Speaker 3: And that's and the exciting thing about that too, or it shouldn't it exciting. The good thing about it is they're both going to have jobs. Whichever one of them is cut is going to be signed to be the starting kicker for another team. So it's not like they're going to be out of a job. Kicking at Santa Monica high Seema tape I'm ready to go and.
Speaker 4: Wants to sign me?
Speaker 3: Like not, you know that's not gonna You should say Crossroads Santa Monica Like that's so, that's the way I think it'll end. There's a happy ending for whichever one of these two doesn't make the team. So there you go, Chris, there's mine. Let's keep going the Kickers.
Speaker 1: We haven't talked.
Speaker 2: About the fact that there even is a competition. I think because reason both both guys were very good last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kevid Dick good reason. We want people to download and listen to the pod. This will be the this will be the headline, this will be the title for this podcast.
Speaker 1: Kicking Competition FI time code.
Speaker 3: We needed, we needed forty We needed four different voices to weigh in on how this kicking competition and is U That's why.
Speaker 2: I'll just quickly add two guys that I'm just excited to see j T. Woods and Isaiah Spiller, two guys from last year's rookie class who didn't really see the field, you know, Jeff Lindsay money, I talked about the fact that it seemed very apparent that a low heat Gilman is the starter, feels very comfortable with the low he back there.
Speaker 4: And then you know, for.
Speaker 2: Isaiah Spiller, youngest player drafted last year, didn't see much of them.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: It was a curious kind of running back rotation, to say the least last year behind Austin anyway, So maybe Isaiah can can be that guy and he and Josh can push push each other to get some run behind Austin.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 3: There we go, Jesff and Lindsay go seek out Chris Smith at training camp. You've earned yourself a bucket hat for for an hour and.
Speaker 4: Seven minutes of podcasting today. Well done. So you did great.
Speaker 2: Jeff, no uh no Miata, no miata tricks in the in the uh with the phone.
Speaker 6: Totally professional today, totally all pro performance by me.
Speaker 7: I'm just gonna throw it out there.
Speaker 2: You guys are the best. Lindsay thirty ESPN. Jeff Miller, La Times, and the great bat Muddy Smith.
Speaker 1: I'm Chris.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next week.