Speaker 1: The club expects their golf proth and their assistant pros to make sure everything's perfect.
Speaker 2: We want a club prow that can play like Tiger, teach like butch merchandise like Ralph Lauren, and tell jokes like Bob ho Right.
Speaker 3: It is absolutely The problem is the amount of pay for the amount of work does a.
Speaker 4: Mesh for clubs.
Speaker 5: If you don't make these changes, you're not going to get the people you want.
Speaker 6: Your product is going to suffer.
Speaker 7: People are not going to want to come play there, They're going to go elsewhere, and you're eventually going to go out of business.
Speaker 1: Is seth while helping He's the right guy in the driver's seat, But is there a vehicle he can drive that can make it any better?
Speaker 8: People are put on earth to make everybody's lives better, right, Like, how can he not want to be surrounded by those people?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 8: And And that's what our PGA professional is. You know, it's not perfect, We're not perfect times far from perfect.
Speaker 6: We're moving the needle, making a.
Speaker 8: Lot of progress and I hope people are noticing it.
Speaker 6: But that's not the point either, right. The point is leaving the room better. And I'm going to keep fighting to do that every day. Put another log on the fire. Nobody here is to get the time.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the fire Pit with Matt Chanella. Always good to be back around this fire pit. Needless to say, it has been a tumultuous few months trying to sort out the future of the fire Pit Collective. We've reorganized the business, sharpened the strategy and got refocused on travel shows, the Ambush of Buddies, trips, chronicling course developments, renovations and restorations. We'll be announcing some upcoming events and we'll continue producing more of these podcasts. And thus i'd like to thank our sponsors. First link so the lifestyle brand I've worn on and off the course for over ten years, Polos T shirts, pants, shorts, hoodies and hats. Go to linksoul dot com right now and use promo code fire Pit twenty five for twenty five percent off your next purchase. And then there's Robin Golf, the company who designs clubs to give the widest range of players the most success playing golf. Ideal for kids and beginners, the club faces have a larger sweet spot, which means more forgiveness and who doesn't like more forgiveness. Go to robindolf dot com today and shop their sleek line of men's, women's, and kids clubs. Okay, for some deep context as it relates to this podcast, I grew up in and around golf, playing at Oakmont in Santa Rosa, California. We lived nearby. My uncle and my dad played at Oakmont, so did all of their friends. I eventually got jobs there picking the range, parking carts, changing grips. I did whatever they asked me to do. The head pro at the time, Dean James was tough on me and everyone on his staff. He played mind games, broke you down, so he was the one who could build you back up. Compliments were rare. I watched as he manipulated his assistants, pitted them against each other, etc. Most of his assistants, who were all great to me, moved through the shop after a year or two. Some found other clubs, others found other industries. I was never a big Dean fan, and my dad and uncle kind of felt the same way. But Dean was dug in managed the membership a lot better than he did the people who worked for him. I eventually got a job on the Oakmont maintenance crew working for the superintendent Mike Clark, who was the opposite of Dean. Mike Clerk was humble, quiet, appreciative of hard work. He was approachable, fair, and had integrity. His staff stayed with him for years. Some still might be there. In a way, I guess I owe my career and go off to both Dean James and Mike Clark. It was Dean who pushed me into agronomy. It was Mike who hired me. Then it was Dean the summer after I graduated from Saint Mary's College in Northern California, who took away free golf for the Oakmont maintenance staff. It was the fact that I would need to start paying for my golf at the course I helped maintain that made me willing to take the job of driving my parents furniture from Santa Rosa across the country to New York. My dad, as an engineer for Bechtel Power, was going to consult on the renovation of the JFK Airport. I loaded up the moving truck and basically never came back. Upon arriving on the East Coast, and as I looked into applying at Penn State's agronomy school, I landed the internship at Sports Illustrated. The rest continues to be my history. Cut to September of last year, I was asked to be a guest on the Tie podcast hosted by Walker Semus. Walker and I had a good talk about my life in golf, the industry in general. We talked about the fire Pit Collective and he asked what I was most excited about. I explained to him the concept of the Grind docuseries we were working on chronicling the lives of the dreamers, the mid level professionals who push all in on themselves and their talents. And then I exposed my ignorance as it related to the lives and lifestyles of club pros. Here again is the fifty two second bite from the fifty minute conversation, which Walker circulated on Twitter to promote his podcast. Why is a PGA professional who can barely break eighty but works a prettily traditional workweek make one hundred and fifty thousand or two hundred thousand dollars a year being a pro? When a pro who breaks seventy every time they tee it up is going backwards and losing eighty thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 6: If not more.
Speaker 4: There is a flaw in this system. The pros who can barely break eighty, who passed some sort of written test and a playing test and wants to call himself herself a pro, is a pro and they're making a good living being a pro when the pros who are a master's at their craft are losing eighty to one hundred thousand dollars. To your point, what's wrong with this picture? Knowing what I know now, having had conversations with experts and insiders to hear what I said that day is embarrassing. To compare one profession or professional to the other makes no sense. They are two very different jobs. And for that to all the club pros and PGA pros out there selflessly and thanklessly giving so much to the development and growth of this game we all love. I said it before, but I'll me say it again. I am sorry. I've been well aware of the crisis as it relates to the agronomy of golf. Clubs can't find good supers, Supers can't find good assistance, and there's definitely a shortage when it comes to people willing to work long hours for not a lot of pay. I was not aware of that same crisis as it pertains to PGA professionals and or club pros. Did that hole in my glove have anything to do with Dean James and the way he treated me and the staff who worked for him. Maybe maybe that impacted my bias, but it doesn't matter. The fact is I've benefited from good club pros my whole life. How many places have I played thousands? How many tournaments have I played in countless? How many lessons have I had? Never enough? Having processed the flood of backlash and having reflected on my mistake, I've produced the upcoming series of podcasts in an effort to try and help their cause. In this series, you'll hear from several current and former PGA pros, and I get their perspectives on the industry in general, the past, the president, and the future. I also spoke to Butch Harmon, a legend in the industry obviously, but whose dad and brothers were also all club and teaching pros. I speak to Chandler Withington, the former head pro at Hazeltine, Rick Riley, the head pro at Wiltshire Country Club for the last thirty years and whose dad was a former president of the PG of America. I spoke to Shane Ryan, who authored a story titled the Club Pro Crisis, which appeared in Golf Digest almost exactly a year ago. I speak to Susie Whaley, who in twenty eighteen became the first female president of the PGA of America. And I spoke to Seth Waw, the CEO of the PG of America since twenty eighteen, who is doing everything he can to improve a rather bleak reality. We start with Withington, a former assistant at Seminole and Marian before landing the head pro job at Hazelteene in twenty thirteen. He helped host the Ryder Cup in twenty sixteen and had another one coming in twenty twenty nine, but in twenty twenty one he walked away from the job to pursue his passion for architecture and design and applied it to intricate art and specifically golf posters, which, by the way, are incredible. This first section of the pod is on the reaction to my SoundBite from the TAI podcast.
Speaker 2: So somebody who messaged me and they said, hey, do you hear what Matt Chanellos said about club pro or like matic a shot at club pros. He's getting roasted right now. And I said, where is it? And so it's this podcast. So I'm the kind of person and I get into a lot of this conversation where I said, like, all right, just I'll listen to the pod and I'll form my own opinion. Don't tell me what to think.
Speaker 6: I'll listen to it.
Speaker 2: So what I listened to it like I heard the point you made you were talking about to her professional life. There are a lot more people that can shoot, There are a lot more great players, and the system is broken because how can these guys struggle to make a living, But yet you have club pros that over time our playing ability has gone dramatically down, and now the majority of us can't break eighty be we're making a very comfortable living. That was the point I heard. And it's not inaccurate, right, It's not accurate for everyone, right, So that's what some people took offense to. Either I don't make one hundred and fifty K or I can't wreak part. I'm like, you'll have time to rectify all that. I think what you're doing is like anytime that we say something, we're in this like cancel culture of like I can cancel Janelle. He said something I don't like or agree with, Like, no, let's let's do what you're doing, saying, Look, I said something that obviously works some people, so I want to understand it more and I want to understand your perspective and then you know, let's continue the conversation and like we all know, like Twitter is not the place for that, right.
Speaker 4: A lot more from Chandler throughout this series. For now meet Cody Sinkler, director of golf operations at the Park in West Palm Beach, Florida.
Speaker 7: Initial reaction was to be candid, a little offended, and I just thought it didn't quite it was a little out of touch and meaning the mention of club pros making the salary.
Speaker 6: You mentioned.
Speaker 7: Those club pros are what I would consider to be the one percent at the top of their profession, you know, the Rory McElroy's of our profession. They're still working fifty sixty seventy hour weeks likely most of them are. So it was a little bit I found it to be. I don't want to be harsh, but it felt a little offensive, just because I don't quite feel like and I definitely have made it to a pretty high level in my profession, I believe I don't quite like a I guess we'll call it an aspiring mini tour player who easily handle me on the golf course could step into my role and cecar make.
Speaker 6: It to me.
Speaker 7: It just based that they're a better player than me. That was kind of my impression.
Speaker 4: And here's Josh Doxeter, general manager at Harbor Shores Resort in Benton Harbor, Michigan.
Speaker 5: Oh, I just I thought it was just a complete disservice to the PGA professional, you know. And I think there's a lot of people that think it's they don't have a real understanding of what the job looks like and what it takes to actually be successful in the game of golf. From a business side of things, there's no question that we have a ton of lazy PGA professionals out there who give the brand maybe a bad rap in some sense. But I you know, I've been in the business over fifteen almost twenty years now, and I've seen so many come and go, but there's only a very select few that really have what it takes to I would say, carry the torch and pass it on to future generations. You know, we've had twenty eight thousand PJ professionals for three or thirty years. You know that number has not moved, and it's on a decline right now. You know, the talent level that I see coming in from an apprentice side of things is lacking significantly. And you know, the ones who do make it are the ones who truly have a passion and love for the game. And I would suggest that a majority of those that are in or who have become PJ professionals were dreamers. That's that's where they started. That's how I started. I started playing young competitively young. I wanted so badly play on the PGA Tour. But if you don't have time and money and resources, you have no chance. And you know, I learned that quickly, and then I invested everything I had into the business side of golf because I love the game that much and I want to be around it and I can't imagine doing anything else. So I think, you know, when I heard the clip, and then just some of the other things in regard to wages and then work week and things like that. You know, there's no question that there's some guys that are in positions where they play a lot of golf, they get paid well for it, they take care of their membership. But there's and I would say that's the less than ten percent of those golf professionals or PG professionals, you know, and anybody who's who's really gone through and went through the program and the business. You know, it's it's seventy eighty hour work weeks, it's a thirty thousand dollars salary. It's a grind, you know. I know, I came up in Phoenix area, and you know, eleven months out of the year you're cooking, and although it slows down in the summer, you don't stop. And you know, six days a week in at six thirty am, go home, try to have dinner with the wife, but my newborn son to bad go back until nine or ten o'clock at night. And you know, that was one of the reasons why I transitioned out of Phoenix to a colder climate, because I needed some sort of change in the off season in order to you know, be able to actually be a part of my family.
Speaker 4: And then there's Kieran Kanwar of Mumbai, India. She's been in the United States since two thousand and five. She has a PhD in kinesiology. She's an LPGA Master instructor, and she's the chair of the golf department at Stanton University in Orange County, California. Her thesis was on types and causes of swing related injury. She's been teaching for thirty three years. When I solicited feedback on my comment from club pros on Twitter, like several others throughout this series, she offered to participate.
Speaker 9: A lot of club pros protest that, oh, that's not fair. I didn't I just saw a tiny clip of your recording where you're saying that the players have more, you know, don't get as good a deal as I don't know if you mentioned the club pros in reference to that, but yeah, there's all sorts of club pros, and I mean to say that we all deserve to do better is like saying that an ad shooter deserves to be on a tour. You know, everybody thinks they deserve more, but do they really deserve more? And is there any harm in actually, you know, putting up your frank opinions on social media. As long as it's not, you know, harming anyone in any way, what's wrong with that? So I thought I'd add my little two bit and say that, Hey, I mean, if you're talking of club pros, look at some of us, brown skinned females who have more credentials than most men on this planet in golf, and yet don't even get a foot in the door, leave alone, work twelve hours a day and big compensated minimally, you know, So what are you guys talking about?
Speaker 4: Thanks again to all who provided the very frank and enlightening feedback. The fact is, the job of the club pro, especially since the days of Dean James at Oakmont in Santa Rosa, has changed significantly. For the start of a section on the history of the job, we go back to Chandler Withington.
Speaker 2: Here's how I would summarize the history of like the club professional to a professional like and they do segment at some point, So you go all the way back to like eighteen fifties, early eighteen hundreds, like first club professionals like Alan Robertson's old Tom Morris, clubmakers, ballmakers, superintendents, course architects. You know, they built these places, right, they were the jack of all trades and that's what the game was. And they weren't even considered like members. They were amateurs, right, Not really until they started the Open Championship in eighteen sixty did they start to recognize who these people were. Right, you know what nine players in the first Open et cetera. Right, fast forward to nineteen sixteen we formed the PGA of America. But look at like who the first like club professionals were. You had like Walter Hagen, right, you know at of go Kill or Oakland Hills. And what was their first responsibility was? They were to teach people how to play the game. The rules were just being formed. It was the wild wild West of like how you want to.
Speaker 6: Play the game.
Speaker 2: They were trying to uniform the game. And that's what the club professional's role was. Was to teach people how to play the game, not just how to play shots, but how to play the game, how to score penalties, et cetera. Right, I think Walter Hagen was really like the first advocate of getting professionals, you know, in the clubhouse in Iverness in nineteen twenty, Right. You know, when I look at the black and white Hogan pick Mine is a little different. I don't know if you've seen this version before.
Speaker 6: I'll flip it.
Speaker 2: But at the bottom there is like the score panel where you know it's got the scores. You know, Ben Hogan won four thousand dollars in nineteen fifty. But my favorite part of it is at list every club that they were attached to. You know, So Ben was the pro at Hershey, Claude Harmon was at Wingfoot, Henry vCard is at Canterbury, you know, down the road, right, every one of these guys playing in a national championship. When the Open was done, they went back and started teaching lessons again at a club.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Jack and Arnie come along in nineteen sixty, and that's when like tour life started to sustain itself to where you know, Jack and Arnie were club professionals. That's really when it started to shift. Golf started getting on TV, person started going up, and there was a traveling tour, right, which of course they tried to take over from b Namon.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: But then you get into like I think about people like in the nineteen eighties, like I'm sure you had a chance to meet RJ Harper at Pebble Beach to show you, like what the demand on was pros back then. R J remembody told me, he goes, oh, I made I made decision that I was going to get into golf. So I said, I'm going to go to the best place there is to do it, as Pebble Beach.
Speaker 6: I think RJ was from.
Speaker 2: Florida and he drove across the country, showed up a Pebble He goes, Sam, RJ. Harper, I'm here to work what you have for me and so you can work in the back room. But within two years RJ was the director of golf the Pebble Beach like was not a highly regarded, high sought after job in that era. I mean, look at Lou Warsham handed the keys to Bob Ford in nineteen eighty ProGMA. Now you'd have, you know, two thousand pros trying to line up for a job like that. You know, merchandise didn't start the Masters until like eighty six, and by the time that Jack won logos merchandise that you know, you sold the clubs and golf balls until like the mid eighties. So what all changed?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: You know where did this start to Spike Eldrick, right, you know, nineteen ninety seven Tiger and then you know, look, I went to a PGM school. I started in ninety six. I think in ninety six there were a handful of PGM schools. It got up to as many as you know, I think over twenty at some point, and now it's it's coming back down, like Clemson just closed. So in the nineties when Tigers started coming in, you had the prob one coming in two thousand r seven from Tailor May came in two thousand and four, and I you know, my internships in early job as a pro is watching this, like Spike go like this, and then all the demands of our time go along with it, and you had pros that primarily again we were teaching and playing, you know, merchandising in our business, and the size of our staffs and the service level and courses are getting built all over across America. It just it went like this, right, So let's look at like where we are today, like teaching the game, you know, and now you seem to to a segment off of like if you really want to teach the game, you've become a full time teacher. You know at Hazel Team we had two full time teachers. Teaching didn't become so much a part of my job.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: The club professional now is viewed so much more of as an administrator, a business mindset, a host overseeing hospitality. But really it's the size of our staff, the size of our sales, the number of events, the expectation on service. And now you get this term that came up, you know sometime I think in the mid nineties, like director of golf, right, which director golf was always meant to be. They oversee everything, you know, from down to like the superintendent the whole facility was a director, But the term really kind of gets abused, right. So that's my kind of like three minute synopsis of like how do we go from like Alan Robertson to to you know who you know, Devin Gee at Oakmont today and like how is their job changed and evolved?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: But I think like people, I'll constantly tell you, like, you know, when it comes to club professionals, like the expectations now is like we want a club prow that can play like Tiger teach like butch merchandise like Ralph Lauren and tell jokes like bob op right, like should be able to do it all.
Speaker 6: And that's a big.
Speaker 4: Ask on the subject of butch and the history of the profession more than mister Harmon, Oh mat, how are you this whole thing has been has been a part of your life. What's kind of your general sense of the evolution of what it used to be to sort of what it is now.
Speaker 6: Well, if you look.
Speaker 1: At let's go back at my father's day, wait, way back, saying in the forties, even into the fifties, the tour was kind of a half a year type of thing. So tour players would become Cup pros and work half the year in different parts of the country, and then when the tour started up, they'd go play. And that's how my father started out, you know. He played the tour and then he became an assistant pro to Craig would at Wingfoot, and then a year later Craig would left wing Foot and.
Speaker 6: My father became the pro there for thirty three years. Whatever it was back in those days, cut pro was everything at the Cup.
Speaker 1: He owned the pro shop, he on the back room, wasn't paid a huge salary, he did the teaching, He was a good instructor, a good player, nice merchandiser, a person that ran all the tournaments and stuff.
Speaker 6: You moved forward into.
Speaker 1: Say my era, I turned pro in six before I went to Vietnam. But when I came home from Vietnam and the end of sixty six, you know, I became an assistant pro wing foot and so on and so forth, just like everybody else does. But we were around a business that's totally The person who was the director golfer or head golf pro, whatever you want to call him, totally ran golf at the clubs. They ran everything. They ran the tournaments. Yes, there were committees, but they ran them. The head pro and the staff ran all of that. That's changed now, and it's changed because of the way things are. I don't know how we got to where we are club pros in general. And I'm not putting down a cut pro because I was one. My brothers were all one. But the industry has become more clerks now, more shirt and hat salesmen, and then they have a guy that can teach and the guy that this or that. It's not the one man show that he used to be back in the days. I mean, my father was so far ahead of himself that I mean when he was at wing Put in the summer Seminole in the winter, he made more money than the leading moneyware on the PGA Tour in those days. And that's why he didn't play full time. He just played in the majors. But Dad was ahead of himself. He's one of the first to start putting logos on shirts. He used like an eight millimeters camera to take film of students and stuff. He always wore an elastic belts that could take it off and.
Speaker 6: Wrap it around your arms when he was teaching and stuff. So he was just ahead of himself.
Speaker 1: I look at the modern day club prow and I think what I would call the original style old golf pros.
Speaker 6: You know, look at Bob Ford.
Speaker 1: Who was at oakmontin Seminole, a great player, great teacher, great great mentor to assistance. My brother Craig was the same at oak Hill, was there for forty one years. Those kind of guys don't exist anymore. It's not the type of pro Darryl Kessler out on Long Island is still a person like that. I would say if we look at club pros in general, the metropolitan area in New York probably has the biggest configuration of club head pros in the country. Chicago District might be second, but I think the met section is the biggest, and they have a small version of the way it used to be.
Speaker 6: Some of them.
Speaker 1: Mike Gilmore, for example, at Wingfoot is a great player, great teacher, great merchandiser, great club pro. We don't see that a lot anymore. I go back and I look at the ones who have retired, like my brother Craig, my brother Dick unfortunately who passed away, Ricky Roadse at San Francisco Golf Club. These are guys that their whole life has been spent at one club, that they've done everything for. That. We don't see that anymore. Pros tend to jump around at different jobs here and there, here and there. The old days, when you've got a good job, you just stayed there forever and the members treated you like them.
Speaker 6: Remember you were great with them.
Speaker 1: And so I think what's evolved now is the club's known all the amenities they owned, the pro shops they own, the carts they owned, the backrooms they owned, the driving ranges. Pros are paid a salary and a little percentage of stuff.
Speaker 6: So it's a.
Speaker 1: Different incentive world for guys to get into business.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: The people said to you all the time, well, you've been a golf pro your whole life. When you were a club pro, you must have played a lot of golf. No, not really. You're always working. You work every holiday, you work every weekend. It's a hard job. Now you have corporations own these clubs. They got the pros punching time clocks.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: Well, HR says you can only work forty hours a week. Well, heck, we being a golf pro my whole life, I turned probe to sixty five. We worked the sun when the sun was up, we worked when the sun went down, and we went home. That's not the way it is anymore. It's a totally different environment. I'm not saying it's good or bad. I'm just saying it's not the one that I grew up in and the one I lived in.
Speaker 4: Bob Ford, Ricky Rhodes, and here's Rick Riley, director of golf at Wiltshire Country Club in Los Angeles. He's the son of Pat Riley, the legendary past president of the PG of America. Between father, who was a member of the Association for fifty five years and son who's been a member for over thirty years. They have over ninety years of combined service to the game of golf.
Speaker 10: So he got into it, you know, he was you know, he and my mom, you know, went to Penn State, I loped, moved out. He's in the Marine Corps nineteen fifty eight to sixty one, and he when he get out of the Marine Corps, he's the stationed in Camp Pendlan and he went to work for a guy named Rags Raglan who ran Circlear golf course. Circulars were Ashley grew up and all that. We played our first unear tournament. So he was there for about a year and a half and then this position opened up at al Camino in nineteen sixty two and he was there for about ten years. And then Annandale and Pasena came calling. They wanted pat Riley. Pat you know, my dad was a good player. He was, you know, well rounded golf professional, ran a good operation golf shop. I could play, I could teach. Went to Annandale, was there in nineteen seventy two, got involved with the PGA of America. Initially, he he kind of was blackballed.
Speaker 6: He didn't. He don't.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he so how can I how can I play in these tournaments? Well, you know he was playing while he was winning tournaments. Said you got to go back and do your school.
Speaker 6: Anyway.
Speaker 10: He got answered, Listen, I'm going to make sure when I get back, I'm going to make sure it's right for everybody. So his whole thing with the PGA was it was all about the little guy taking care of the little guy, making sure all the rank and file members you know, had had access, had a better path for their future, for their benefits financially, you know, spiritually, that whole thing. So he was there from seventy two to two thousand and two. He retired in two thousand and two. And I actually I was working at Allahois Country Club, got out of got out of school at U of A and eighty three. I worked for Pete co who actually worked for my dad. Was there for three years and I was actually go to work for my dad and Anadale and this whole thing kind of open up at Wilsher Game an assistant pro there for about six months. And Frank Morrik been there for twenty five years and he retired and I got in the finals of the interview for the head job, and I got it, and I was twenty six years old and I'm still here at thirty thirty five years later.
Speaker 4: How have you seen this kind of role evolve over decades of time?
Speaker 10: Here, I think I think the bottom line is, and this is pretty harsh. I mean, the club pros are givers to c tur pros are takers. I'm not saying that's that's I mean, give a lot of our time. We're promoting the game, and they listen to tour pros. They can play great, but at the end of the day, it's like, do they really have time for you? When you know they'll they'll throw a clinic up there, it's like, oh, they're not. They're not the one given the clinics. It's it's the rank and file guys like myself and the twenty eight thousand PGA professionals that are really promoting the game of golf, and hey, listen, it's fun to watch these guys. These guys on tour are so good, they're so talented. And I can remember the days Ashley and I were playing golf at u of A and we're like, we go shoot seventy two seventy three, we're the best player in the team right now.
Speaker 6: Seventy two seventy.
Speaker 10: Three you can't. You can't crack the top eight, you know, so obviously I kind of call it the Tiger effect. Now there's there's better training, there's better fit. I mean, I remember I remember going asht and I go downstairs with Michale Senner. We're going to do Nautilus.
Speaker 6: There's there's fourteen guys. We go down there.
Speaker 10: We all walk in, What the hell nautilists. We're playing golf.
Speaker 6: We're not.
Speaker 10: We're not working out. This is this is this is nineteen eighty. So that's that's how much it's changed. The game has changed. It's these guys are athletes. I can remember they talked about my dad and say, well, if you're over six foot tall, it's you. You want to be five ten five. Look at all these guys on tour now that are you know, six two six three six, or they're playing golf. They they may have been basketball players, they're golf the tour pros or athletes. However, you know, twenty thousand PGA pros promoting the game of golf. I've been doing it. I kind of grew up, you know, in the business. You know, you start, you know, you start working in the cart barn, you start picking up range balls, you caddy. I mean, you just kind of grow a love for the game. I mean, you know, I go up with the caddies. Day is she's seventy five. I'm fired up. You know, left hand, I'm jack.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: Riley, a righty, played at the University of Arizona. After hurting his shoulder a few years ago, he started playing as a lefty and he got down to a single digit handicap from the opposite side of the ball. Here's Cody Sinkler on the idea of givers verse takers.
Speaker 7: There are many PGA tour players, professonal golfers who have obviously given load. I mean, look at Tiger Woods of what he's giving back. But when you start that journey, you're certainly you're working for yourself. That's just how it is. We tend to sacrifice our own golf games.
Speaker 6: In order to do our job.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's a reason why professional golfers are the longer club pros. There's a reason why that isn't happen. You sacrifice your own golf game. There's not time to practice and play.
Speaker 6: You just don't have it.
Speaker 7: So I would say generally yes, but there are a lot of those people, those men and women who have used that personal game to then give back sort of in.
Speaker 6: A different backwards way.
Speaker 7: But yes, we sacrifice a lot of we sacrifice our own golf game. It's sort of the first sacrificial lamb is my golf game is going to go this way so I can help take this golf course or this golf club.
Speaker 4: Back to Josh Doxetter on the same subject.
Speaker 5: I would I don't know if as go as far as say takers. You know, being in and at higher end facilities, you know, we get requests all the time, whether tour players or celebrities or things like that. And a lot of those who are trying to be up and coming on tour, you know, being here in Ben Harbor and having point of woods in the western the western end, and you know, all these different players, I would say majority of them are asking for something to use the practice facilities for free, to play golf for free. You know, some of those different things which for me as a PGA professional and a commitment to growing the game yeah, we get a lot, right, you know, we we we do whatever we can to make sure that or I do, in my opinion, everything I can to make sure that I have a future for many years to come in the game of golf, and those who are behind me who have that same or come from that same have that same opportunity as well. So I do believe that the PJ professional is a giver. They're a giver of time or a giver of resources. You know, you can you can recountless stories of how they've helped either in their communities or help the dreamers get to.
Speaker 6: Where they are.
Speaker 5: You know, I've had the opportunity to do that with a few young players as well.
Speaker 4: I'm going back to Rick Riley for the definition of what makes a good club prop You.
Speaker 10: Got to have a love for it. I mean, my dad always said, there's to be a good PGA professional you got five points. You got to be a player. You got to be a teacher, you got to be an administrator, you got to be a rules expert. Probably most important, you have to be a people person. You cannot survive on my side of the business if you don't interact with people well and take care of people. I mean, it's it's a tough business because sometimes you got to say no, and it's not easy to say no. Toe some of these people are, you know, paying fifteen hundred a month and paid one hundred and twenty thousand dollars and it's like, yeah, this is you know, we have two hundred and two hunred people on the golf course. Then I'm sorry, I can't get you out till two o'clock. But so it's a people business and that's what it boils down. You don't let people you're in the wrong side of business here, so you get a lot of guys. I'm looking at Ben hog and beg Home, one of the greatest ball strikers of all time. They call him the wii Iceman. I mean, he probably couldn't have survived in a golf shop because he didn't have the personality of the makeup, but he had the person out on the golf course that was perfect for him. So for me, that's one of the things my dad always said, Listen, it's you got to be well rounded. You can't be one dimensional. If you're just a player, you're not going to survive running a country club or a private club or a daily fear, a municipal You want to be a you want to be a five point player?
Speaker 4: Meet Robbins Manly, who became a Class A pro twenty years ago. He was an assistant pro at Breckenridge Golf Club for both decades, golf in the summer, skiing in the winter. Getting married. At the age of forty six, he left the golf industry and although he still has his PGA membership and teaches on occasion, his focus is real estate. Here are his thoughts on what it takes to be a good club pro.
Speaker 3: Right off of that is your community, your communication and your interpersonal skills with the members, are the guests, and being aware of what is going on at all times at your golf course. What is pace of play? Knowing what that is happening at all times, whether you're in the office or checking in, is what is going on at your club at all times? And being present, being active, being present, knowing the game, knowing the rules of golf, being able to teach it.
Speaker 6: You don't have to.
Speaker 3: I mean we still are better than Yeah, we joke about you know, we all shoot whatever, seventy five, seventy three whatever. That's better than most all of our members. So we can still play the game that we're not going to to the tour, but we can we can certainly play the game and teach the game and knowing all those aspects tournament operations, knowing how to run a legitimate tournament where there's not you know, handicaps that are wrong and you find out too late and in those kind of things.
Speaker 6: So it.
Speaker 3: Takes a lot of different pieces to put all together. And that's part of the reason the hours are so long, because if you want to visit and be out and visit with the people that are playing, you've got to do the tournament set up at night after everybody's gone, or if you're doing the tournament set up during the day for the next day, then you're not being seen. And so to be great it takes a lot of hours, are a bigger staff, and then the money is spread out that much more.
Speaker 9: So what is.
Speaker 3: I don't know the answer, like I said, but you know, if you had five great assistants, then you don't have to work.
Speaker 2: It's much.
Speaker 3: But where are those five assistants going to get their money from?
Speaker 4: Josh doxet Are again on his definition of a quality club pro.
Speaker 5: Well, I think there's a few different places you look. I think number one, everything's driven through the experience. So what type of experience are you delivering to numbers and guests every single day? Is that an experience through a relationship? Is that an experience through a fitting or a lesson or just conversation? You know some of those different things. So, like you said, the having being able to be a people person, be able to have conversations to you, you're your job to make everybody feel good, right, and we all know that can wear you out over time. A secondary I would just say, you know, how good are you operationally? How good are you managing what you're given? How good are you How good are you at navigating challenges and making decisions quickly so it doesn't have a major impact on your P and L at the end of the month. You know some of those, So that's the business acum inside of things. And then how good are you at coaching the people around you? How good are you at lifting them up and making sure that they have everything that they need to be successful? Because if you're going to be a leader in this industry's that's who you are. You have to lean on them as much as they lean on you, and they have to know that when you guys go to war, everybody's got each other's back.
Speaker 4: Here's Brad Sniper of Raleigh, North Carolina. He's twenty nine. He graduated from NC State in golf management. His internships were at TPC Potomac, Durrell and Sleepy Hollow. He worked at Philly Cricket Club for two summer seasons and a winter at John's Island in Florida. He spent time as a head fitter at Liberty National, and although he's still a class A professional, he's been out of the green grass aspect of the industry since twenty nineteen. He's now at Global Value Commerce, which owns Global Golf and Three Balls. He's an online club retailer. Here's his thoughts on what it takes to be a good club.
Speaker 11: It's definitely beneficial to be that well rounded professional, someone who can, you know, take missus McGillicutty out to the range for a quick lesson, you know, teach juniors, teach higher level players, and then you know, run a big tournament, run a member, guests and then still be able to head out as a fourth if someone needs you and play well enough to not embarrass yourself. So there, you know, I have with all my friends still in that side of the business. One of my closest friends he works in ash or excuse me, Fayetteville and he works for Operation thirty six. He's always wanted to be that instructor side. So if you want to kind of really narrow the focus, it's something that you have to kind of do quickly right off the bat and put everything you have into it. It's there are so many people trying to do the same thing, so it's so competitive, and especially that high end teaching side, it can it's it's a lot you really have to push yourself, especially with social media and these different avenues of people can if they if they're looking for a lesson, they can find one on their phone. So you have to really, you know, if that's your choice, that teaching side, you really have to to put one hundred and ten percent into it and kind of almost set yourself apart from the pack, give people a reason to come to you rather than so and so on YouTube or.
Speaker 6: You know, the you know the other bro down the street.
Speaker 11: So kind of go back to your question, it's definitely more beneficial to have everything to be able to touch on all those sides. But are there are only so many hours in the day, honestly, So once you get into something like that where you're kind of putting, you know, putting balls in different buckets, it's you run out of you run out of time, you run out.
Speaker 6: Of effort at some point.
Speaker 11: So yeah, to get the good jobs to move up, you really got to show you're good at everything. But at some point you have to focus a little bit. Everyone kind of has their forte, but you definitely have to be able to touch every other side.
Speaker 4: And finally, back to Kieran.
Speaker 9: Ken War, the good things are from the pros. I know, the very few pros I know that they're really good people, and they're very kindly and personable, and for a lot of people sometimes they're like your own private psychologist. You know, you have life wares, you have golf wares, and they're just nice people and they're making you feel good about yourself, which I think is where you can't sort of negate that the importance of that. You know, that's really important in its own right, that you're doing a lot of good, and then you might do some Basically you're doing a trial and error unless you know scientifically whether what you say is right or wrong. So sometimes it works and a person plays well, and that's another thing that you're doing for them. You're helping them play well. You may not always succeed, it may not work under pressure, but overall that person's game has improved. And that's like big deal. I mean, you know, And then you can just shrug and say, oh, it's golf. That's as good as you get. But you really are helping to improve a lot of people physically and mentally. You might throw in some fitness stuff, you might improve their clubs and get them to play better. Whatever you do, you're contributing to someone's life. And with all that the planet has faced with the pandemic and then war and this and that you make people feel happy and confident in themselves. That's a big deal, I think.
Speaker 4: And with that we're stopping down. This ends Part one of this series on the club pro crisis. In part two, which will drop next week, the Shane Ryan story more from Chandler, Withington, Cody, Robbins, Brad and Butch, and we hear from Susie Whaley. We get to the heart of the matter. Is it a work life balance or is it an awareness issue or is it both? And how did COVID play a factor in where we are today.
Speaker 1: At the university level, you have the PGM programs, which is run by the PGA. A lot of good programs around the country, have a very good one here at the UNLV where I live in Las Vegas. I try and do a lot of work with them, but they're taught from a manual. They have a Manuel, a teaching manual, a business manual, this and that, And they get upset with me because I always speak either at their graduations or I get him out to my places at once a year and talk to and I say, Tom, look the first thing you need to do when you graduate from this course. And I hold their manual off. I said, this is what you're tested on. This manual right here. Throw that in the garbage because you're never going to use it again because everything in here is cookie cut.
Speaker 6: Put another log on the fire.
Speaker 4: Nobody here is Geptie