Speaker 1: From the Bloomberg Interactive Workers Studios. This is Bloomberg day Break for Wednesday, May thirty. First coming up today.
Speaker 2: The debt ceiling deal clears its first major hurdle and heads for a House vote.
Speaker 1: Tonight, JP Morgan holds its Global China Summit in Shanghai. We have an exclusive interview with Jamie Diamond.
Speaker 2: Elon Musk meets with government officials on the second day of his China trip, and here.
Speaker 1: What Campy Woods says is the next to capitalize on the AI frenzy.
Speaker 3: There is an arrest in the shooting death of a New Jersey councilwoman. Plus North Korea's attempt to launch his first spy satellite ends and failure. I'm Michael barr More aheam.
Speaker 4: John stanstowerds War. It's another ten run game for the Yankees.
Speaker 5: That a win at Seattle Code I Sanga pits the Mets to a shutout of the Philly.
Speaker 6: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg day Break, the Business news You need to starn your day in just one fifteen minute podcast each morning on Apples, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business app and everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan.
Speaker 1: Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 4: Let's get you the latest on the debt ceiling deal.
Speaker 2: The agreement between President Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has cleared its first hurdle on Capitol Hill after a narrow vote through the House Rules Committee. Now the bill heads to the full House for final passage as soon as tonight. House Majority Leader Steve Scalise thinks it will have enough support to cross the finish line.
Speaker 7: We have a seventy two hour minimum that we allow every member to read the bill, and the more that people read in this bill, the more they find in terms of real conservative victories.
Speaker 2: But conservatives like Texas Congressman Chip Roy are standing firm against the deal.
Speaker 8: We will continue to fight it today tomorrow, and no matter what happens, there's going to be a reckoning about what just occurred unless we stop this bill.
Speaker 2: One other conservative, Dan Bishop of North Carolina, is calling for a vote to oust Kevin McCarthy, a speaker over this deal. Asked whether he's worried about that, McCarthy answered simply.
Speaker 1: Nope, Nathan, So where will the votes to pass the bill come from will. House Minority Leader Hankeing Jeffries says Democrats will deliver enough conbind with the Republicans to guarantee House passage of the deal.
Speaker 9: We as Democrats are going to make sure that we do not default on our nation's debt. America should always pay our bills, but it's important for Republicans to keep the promises that they've made.
Speaker 1: And House Minority Leader Hankeing Jeffries spoke with Joe matthew And and Marie hor Dern on Bloomberg's Balance of Power. Catch the program weekdays at five pm Eastern on Bloomberg Television.
Speaker 2: Well, the debt ceilings getting most of the attention Karen, relations with China are also in the spotlight this morning. Despite their differences, Secretary of State Antonine Lincoln says he wants a working relationship with China.
Speaker 10: We are not looking for a new Cold War. We're not looking to contain China. I think there's a demand signal from countries around the world that both China and the United States manage the relationship responsibly, that we take every reasonable step to make sure that the competition that we're in does not veer into conflict.
Speaker 2: Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln made the remarks in Sweden at the EU US Trade and Technology Council earlier this week. China declined a US request for the country's heads of defense to meet in Singapore, Nathan.
Speaker 1: Two of the world's highest powered CEOs are in China this morning. Jamie Diamond is a JP morgan'st China summit in Shanghai. He says the bank will be in China for both good times and bad. Speaking exclusively to Bloomberg, Diamond also says he does not think the US will decouple from China.
Speaker 11: Have you asked me over time? Yeah, there'll be less trade. You know, it'll take years for these things to take place, but it won't be a decoupling and the world will go on. I think, like I said, I think far more important is what's happening in Ukraine right now.
Speaker 1: And stay with us for more of our exclusive interview at JP Morgan's CEO Jamie Dimond that's coming up shortly on Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: Along with Diamond, Karen Elon Musk is in China as well. The Tesla on Twitter CEO is wrapping up the second day of his trip to the country where he's been meeting with government officials, and we get the details now from Bloomberg's John Tucker.
Speaker 8: John, and Musk is just the latest auto big wig to say decoupling from China isn't in the cards. In a meeting with the Chinese Foreign Minister, Tesla's founders of the interests of China and the US are intertwined. A government statement cited moss Is saying he's ready to keep expanding in that country. The comments run counter to efforts by leaders, including President Biden, to help d risk supply chains and wean the auto industry off its heavy reliance on China for electric vehicle components. Mosk and other auto execs apparently didn't get that memo. Just last week, the General Motor CEO Mary Barras said she was looking forward to working with local partners in China. You know, York, John Tucker, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 1: Right, John, thank you about disappointing economic news out of China this morning. Manufacturing activity contracted at a worse page than in April, while services expansion eased. Major average in Asia all dropped at least one percent.
Speaker 2: Well back here in the US, Karen were just two weeks away from the Federal Reserve's next interest rate decision. In an interview with The Financial Times, Cleveland FED President Loretta Mester said there's no compelling reason to pause interest rate increases. At the same time, Richmond FED chief Thomas Barkin says he needs signs that demand is cooling to be convinced that US inflation will ease. I believe you need to bring inflation down by bringing demand down.
Speaker 12: I'm looking to be convinced that demand is in fact coming down and that that will then start to bring inflation down.
Speaker 2: Richmond FED President Thomas Barkin did not comment on what move he's likely to favor at the upcoming policy meeting.
Speaker 1: Well, we turned to the markets now, Nathan, and we saw in Video's market valuation cross the one trillion dollar threshold that happened yesterday before the stock went on to pair gains. No company embodies Wall Street's current obsession with artificial intelligence more than in Vidia, but investor Kathy Woods says, watch for software providers to be the next winner in the AI friends.
Speaker 13: We're onto the next thing. Nvidia is a hardware stock. Ensure it has some software, but the history of hardware and software is the bigger beneficiary over time is going to be software.
Speaker 1: And Kathy Woods flagship Arc Innovation ETF cut it's holding it Nvidia on January and has missed out on the massive rally.
Speaker 2: Time now to take a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that, we turned to Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Michael, Good morning, Nathan. There is an arrest in the February first deadly shooting of a New Jersey consulwoman. Police in Portsmouth, Virginia arrested twenty six year old Rashid Ali Binam with the death of Sayerville council member Eunice Juomfor prosecutors say jumfar and bid them we're connected through their church. Middlesex County Prosecutor Julanda Secone, the.
Speaker 1: Murder has shaken the community and no arrest.
Speaker 14: We'll bring back the late councilwoman.
Speaker 3: Prosecutor Sacone says surveillance, video, cell phone, DEBTA and electronic toll information helped them trace Bynum's route from his home in Virginia to New Jersey and back. So far, there is no word on a motive North Korea says its attempt to put the country's first spy satellite into space failed and the rocket crashed into the sea. It sent people in Japan and South Korea scrambling for shelter, fearing it was a missile. North Korea vowed to conduct a second launch. Republican Florida Governor Rond De Santis begins a full day of campaigning today with the four stop blitz through Iowa. Last night, the Santas kicked off his twenty twenty four presidential campaign at a mega church in Des Moines. He was asked about the latest debt sealing deal.
Speaker 4: I can tell you this.
Speaker 12: Our nation was careening towards bankruptcy before the debt deal, and it will still be careening towards bankruptcy after this debt deal.
Speaker 3: DeSantis also fired back at Donald Trump after the former president said that then New York Governor Andrew Cuomo handled the pandemic better than the Florida governor. The family of an eleven year old Mississippi boy who called police to help his family and then was shot by an officer is now suing the city of Indianola for five million dollars. According to the family Darrant Murray called the police in regards to a domestic dispute, but was shot by a responding officer in his home. Family lawyer Carlos Moore.
Speaker 15: My client, Darren Murray did everything right and nothing wrong, and yet he still was shot aunt blank sent Arrange in the chest.
Speaker 3: Family lawyer Carlos Moore called it the most egregious case of excessive force in his twenty one years of law practice. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalist natal us in over one hundred and twenty countries. Michael Barr and this is Bloomberg, Nathan.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Michael. Time enough of the Bloomberg Sports Update with John Stashauer.
Speaker 5: Thanks Nathan hard delusion. It put up ten runs. Yankees won Sunday at the Stadium over San Diego ten to seven. They went to Seattle and won Monday ten to four, and last night it was ten to two over the Mariners three runs of the first inning and Anthony Volpe three run homer in the third, Greg Allen Homard and the fourth and Aaron Judge in the seventh eighteenth of the season. For Judge Isaiah Kiner Fileffa with a big night four hits for RBIs Nester Cortez got the winners. The Yanks move a season high eleven games over five hundred.
Speaker 3: Tampa Bay lost.
Speaker 5: The Yanks are five games behind Mets.
Speaker 14: Back home.
Speaker 5: They lost their last two in Colorado, giving up twenty one runs. At City Field, they gave up two hits, a two nothing went over the Phillies with superb pitching from Codei Senga and seven innings. Senga allowed one hit, no walks, struck out nine. While the Yankees were winning in Seattle, so where the Liberty. It was the return of Breonna Stewart. She left Seattle as a free agent that signed with New York. She scored twenty five points against her comer team. Upset at the French Joe for the two seed danil medvand had lost five sets to a qualifier ranked one hundred and seventy second top seed Carlos Alcarez playing his second round match today, as well as Novak Djokovic. While the Rangers continue to look for a new coach, two teams made hires, Washington naming Toronto assistant Spencer carverret Nashville going with Devil's assistant Andrew Burnette.
Speaker 4: Golden State Warriors in a new GM.
Speaker 5: Bob Myers put together teams that won four championships. He's resigned after eleven years on the job. The NBA Finals beginning tomorrow in Denver, and Miami's Tyler Hero, who's been out since mid April. The Broken Hands, says he expects to play in the series. Hero average twenty points a game in the regular season. John Stashellen Bloodberg sports.
Speaker 6: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, d nationwide on Sirius Exam, the Bloomberg Business Appen Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. Jamie Diamond is in Shanghai today for JP Morgan's China Summit. It's the first time the bank's flagship event is being held in person since twenty nineteen. It comes as China reopens following strict COVID controls, and as tensions appear sky high between the US and China. Against that backdrop, we sat down for a wide ranging exclusive interview with JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimond. He spoke exclusively with Bloomberg Stephen Engel early this morning. Let's listen in to that conversation.
Speaker 12: Now, obviously it's been a few years since you've held this in person summit. The last time you and I talked was at the last time you held one in person in Beijing in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: A lot has changed. Why are you willing to go high.
Speaker 12: Profile as a major CEO of a company from America when others they want to stay a low profile and keep their heads low. How do you assess the US Chinel relationship and the impact it's having on business?
Speaker 11: Okay, well, for all thrilled to be back again after all this time. And it's important for CEO to visit their people and their clients around the world, particularly in when you think times a little more complicated, et cetera. But I think it's important for the viewership to understand there are like three thousand investors here from around the world. There are hundreds of companies of Chinese and non Chinese companies learning about the world. We do research on five hundred companies. That research circulates the world and hopefully business could be a you know, could be for good to help countries lift up. I have enormous respect for the Chinese people. The Martization's countries has been extraordinary, and yes there are some very complex issues that have to be dealt with.
Speaker 12: At what point does Jamie Diamond have to become the diplomat? Look, Joe Biden has not spoken to siegen Ping since November, the Bali meeting. Military to military discussions are being rebuffed and not even happening. Business to business is tenuous at best. What role can you and should you play while you're there?
Speaker 14: Yeah? No, I think I look at a little bit differently.
Speaker 11: So there are conversations took place recently that you know have been in the press, which I think you're great. I mean it's hard to resolve issues when you have the echo chain in your own brain telling yourself what you already think. And I think business could be a force for good. But I don't represent the government. But you know, everyone knows I'm an American patriot, so I'm sitting here in China. But I'm a red blooded, full throated free enterprise capitalist. And so the governments have to talk. Every government has national security in mind, and how do they get better announced security? And I should point out is that this globe of ours has benefited from trade. You know, it's benefited from all these things taking place, and so it's lifted and even taking this country.
Speaker 14: You know, they have benefited.
Speaker 11: I know this criticism about the American global system, but that American global system has done an extraordinary It's not American. You know, if you go to America, a lot of Americans complain about NATO and WTO and WHO and the United Nations, but it's lifted up. Look what it's done for China. I think that the global system has been fabulous for China. And they may have complaints about it, just like the restros have complaints. But I'm thrilled to be here again. You know, you have to go see your people and thank your people what they've done, particularly through this terrible time of COVID, which I think has done a lot of damage to the world in a lot of different ways. So getting out is the right thing to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what is your calculus?
Speaker 12: Has it changed over these four years on how you want to expand in China? Obviously you're fully licensed up now. You are very productive. During the pandemic, you got full jvs and full ventures in securities and the mutual funds and futures. You're pretty much well established on the mainland, which was your goal, but.
Speaker 4: The things have changed.
Speaker 12: China is not necessarily the be all end all anymore. We've had simultaneous crackdowns domestically on the platform economy, on property, on the online game, on online education, not to mention COVID zero, you have a crackdown on consultancies.
Speaker 4: There's lots of pressure.
Speaker 12: I mean, are you recalculating your growth projection and the capability of that growth in China?
Speaker 11: You went through a long list there, which I may not wint agree with all of it, but I think when we do business the country, and we do business one hundred countries around the world, we are there for the systems of the country, and we're there hopefully through good times and bad times. We tend not to leave other than there's war, civil war, and so we're not predicting any of that here. You know, obviously it's become a far more complex situation. You know, for some for good reason, some not for good reason. And you know there's risk. There's always going to be risk, and I think you'll see companies react to different things for different reasons.
Speaker 14: Some of their own resiliency.
Speaker 11: Some is obviously national security, you know, will trump all other things. So you know, our government tells us do AB and C. We're gonna do a B and C and support it. And I think there's there's a risk in China itself that you know, I've met with several people here. If you have more uncertainty somewhere caused by the Chinese government, well of course it's gonna not just change foreign direct investment, which has gone up a little surprisingly, and I don't think they should assume that's continue, but it's going to change the people here, their own confidence, their own ability to invest and do things, and so, like I said, if people have deep conversations, respect each other, engage properly. I think the American government said all the right things recently, which isa. You heard it from Treasury Secretary Yellen, You've heard from President Biden, You've heard it from National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan.
Speaker 14: You heard it from Secretary as day Tony.
Speaker 11: Blincoln, that this is not decoupling, this is de risking.
Speaker 14: The world's changed a little bit.
Speaker 11: Obviously, they are concerned about the war in Ukraine.
Speaker 14: They should be.
Speaker 11: I think that is probably one of the most serious things affecting the future of the globe, and I mean the future of glow for the next fifty years. And I think they're doing the right things. I'm completely supportive of that. And so you know, China's obviously going to do what they think is good for itself. And business might be a positive attribute, but but national security will trump all our issues.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 12: I was just at G seven where we heard a lot of that rhetoric where they're de risking, not decoupling. But again, you know, the Chinese say it's one and the same. It's it's America trying to limit China's rise, and you've seen that bifurcation.
Speaker 4: There's more jargon.
Speaker 12: Not to over emphasize all this jargon that's going out there, but again, do you see d risking being different from decoupling totally?
Speaker 11: I mean, look, you know, Stevie, I look at the fact trade actually went up and last year, and and I think D risky means national security.
Speaker 14: Everyone's gonna do. Every country's gonna turn out their own way. You know.
Speaker 11: Now we're talking about very advanced chips, but kind of reasonable, you know, not to help non allies have things that can help their military. You know, obviously there are you know, rare earths and things like that, so America's going to look at that. They were very clear, they tumbautic. They used the word, you know, a small garden with high walls as opposed to everything, and we should hope that let's not make it everything. I think the business Comunity is trying to help advise them, and that then there's going to be companies doing things just for their own resiliency. That's a perfectly reasonable thing to do too. And then there's the big one, which is also this constant negotiate about trade on fair trade, free access, fair access that's been going on with for my whole life about every country, and the countries should learn about when they're legitimate concerns and when they're not legitimate concerns, and like listen to each other deeply and adjust accordingly. So if you ask me, over time, yeah, there'll be less trade. You know, it'll take years for these things to take place, but it won't be a decoupling and the world will go on. I think, like I said, I think far more important is what's happening in Ukraine right now, and so hopefully this will sort out, and it will never sort out if people don't talk. So I urge people you have some real deep conversation. You get to know each other a little bit, a little bit each other's concerns about some of these issues, and things would be better we had that.
Speaker 12: Well, do you have these conversations as well, because a lot of people do try to extrapolate what's happening in Ukraine with the potentiality in East Asia with Taiwan. We know Warren Buffett has divested completely its investment Berkshire Hathaway's investment in Taiwan's semiconductor. There's nervousness and that creates hesitancy for investment and fun flows which are down. Obviously trade deals are down. Do you see the direct correlation of the risks that have risen in East Asia because of Taiwan because of what's happening in Ukraine exacerbating that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think I'm not an expert on Taiwan, and I would defer to Bob Gates and Henry Kissinger about how to de escalate that situation and obviously as to the tension things like that. But remember this is a world issue, but all the country around the world would be concerned about Taiwan.
Speaker 14: And the outcome of that.
Speaker 11: I think when Ukraine showed people is that the world wasn't safe that you know, oil and gas supply chains aren't safe, food, the supply lines aren't safe. You know, everyone's starting to relook at what is national security?
Speaker 14: Had Germany important?
Speaker 11: I think it was half of their natural gas from Russia, So I think that did cost people. Look at what are their alliances, what are their trade what are the things? And obviously it's causing a lot of confusion and a lot of issues. But hopefully we'll make a lot of progress on it. Like I said, that comes with engagement, and that comes with you know, the don't want the American government and other folks, you know, city down.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I don't want to keep on harping on the negative side of it, but is there any scenario, the worst case scenario that would make your investment, and look, it's a sizeable investment in China, make it untenable for you?
Speaker 11: You know, Steve, you're going here, You're going to repeat yourself over and over. We're here, We're going to support the Chinese people, of the Chinese governments. We do business with a thousand companies here. Half are multinationals coming in half are local companies. You know, we always have managed our risk that we can handle almost whatever happens around the world. And I am an American patriot. I will do what my government tells me. I'm going to salute like anybody else. But I can tell them what I think, and you could imagine that I've been very clear when I sit down with them what I think and what we think matters. And like I said, a lot of the business community think could be very helpful in that this is not a simple matter, and sometimes we oversimplify things in a way which actually damage, you know, the ultimate outcomes.
Speaker 12: Will you have an opportunity, Can you reveal whether you're going to meet with Lee Cheung, the premier, or any of the other senior Chinese leaders, and what would you like to get from them.
Speaker 11: I'm me with a very limited amount of Chinese leaders. I met with one, but I'll keep that conversation private. And like I said, you know, I'm here for our people. I'm here for these clients. I think it's great that this is taking place. I think humanity is better off this type of thing, and obviously national security will reign supreme and so. But but you don't stop doing one because of the other. And so, like I said, I'm thrilled to be here. And it's amazing, which what I've seen take place in China the last twenty five years partially because of the global system, and I think they should be clear about that. And you know, they have their own problems here. You know, twenty percent of employment on youth. I mean, that's a scary number. And so you know, growth, they need growth too, and confidence is very important for growth.
Speaker 12: When do you see cross border deal making picking up? It's been quite a nator on that front.
Speaker 11: Course, border between China and other people are just globally.
Speaker 12: Right, Well, let's let's talk about China, say China US or outbound from China and the like.
Speaker 11: Outbound you know, I don't know the answer to that. I think there are always a lot of more conversations, you think, and obviously it's been damped a little bit. I think America is still open for business. You know, Chinese comans is gonna be a little concerned. You know, we've we've had siphias for a long time now. But I would say we're still joint over for business. And if you're in a Chinese company you want to do something, you know, look at it, don't back off just because you're afraid of something, and you get some advice and help and how you go about that the right way. But America is still open for business, and I think you've heard that from Secretary Yellen, Secretary Blinking and all those we still believe in, you know, open and Philly free markets.
Speaker 12: Let's pivot to what's happening in the United States. Obviously, the debt ceiling impasse is coming to a head, perhaps with a House vote coming up.
Speaker 4: Can you kind of tell me.
Speaker 12: What your war room, your debt ceiling warroom is advising you on the unintended consequences a of a default or even b the ramifications even if a deal is done in Congress, on whether that could mean you know, higher rates, as well as we head towards a possible mild recession.
Speaker 11: So I, first of all, I think Kevin McCarthy, King, Jefferies, the President, Chuck Schumer, mission mcconna all did a great job. And I think it's great. This is this is democracy and bipartisanship, and I think they did the right thing, and I think it's going to happen. If I thought it wasn't going to happen, I probably wouldn't be here right now. Uh So, And obviously it's got to get through a couple of votes in Congress, and our people pretty comfortable will happen. You know, I've been We've been public for years. If if you actually an actual default, it's not good. You know, America, the financial system America and the economic economy of America. It's still the most prosperous and largest economy of the world I've ever seen, the most innovative, the most growing, and the rest of the world relies on it, you know, So I think we shouldn't create any instability there. So I wish one day we'd get rid of the whole debt ceiling thing. But I understand, when you know, it's a democracy, people have different opinions about what we should be doing, and it's just one tool for one party to you know, get the other.
Speaker 14: Part of the table.
Speaker 11: So I'm quite optimistic there, and I really do applaud the fact that they all sat down and spoke got something done.
Speaker 4: What's your read on inflation?
Speaker 12: On when whether the Fed will go beyond the pause and hike again.
Speaker 11: You know, my simple view is that their right to pause at this point has been a big increase, you know, five hundred basis points to so take a pause. But I do think it's possible they're going to raise a little bit more. Then the inflation is kind of stickier. I think people are coming around to that, which means race may have to go up a little bit more. People should be a little prepared for that. There's just as a matter of manage your own business, be a little prepared for that, whether you're a financial company or a real estate company, et cetera. I think the other thing I'd be a little prepared for is the volatility that might very well be created by quantitative tightening. We've never really had quantitative easying, which we've had now for the better part of fifteen years, and now you're going to see quantitative tightening, and I think the effects may be a little harsher than people expect, but hopefully we'll get through all of that and be okay.
Speaker 12: How would you assess the banking crisis whether we're still facing a banking crisis? Obviously you come from a very interesting purche having taken over a first Republic, do you see more pain coming down to what needs to be done on the regulatory front to prevent this from happening again.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So the first thing is it's nothing like oh wait, there's nothing like that.
Speaker 14: Leverage in the system.
Speaker 11: The private the private companies are in actually very good shape. The banking system is in pretty good shape. You've seen regional banks just report very good numbers. The deposits didn't run out like people are talking about. This is nothing like that. There are a couple of banks that are offside this. That off side is an industraight exposure and things like that, First Republic being one of them. We were asked by our government to step in and we did and we were able to handle it. I'm extremely proud. I hope Jen Peepzak and Marion Lake will look at me now like what you all have done. Get an airplane Sunday night to fly out talk to people. You know, obviously it's a lot of work and you know, hard for people, but we're trying to show real humanity, you know, using redeployment of anyone who lose their job is trying to find other jobs. At JP Morgan or elsewhere we had the cability to handle it. I think it's also a side by the way, because we totally support community banks, we totally support regional banks. I would be carefully taking what regulations have to be done as opposed to supervision, and we want them to do well. So I want to be very quite careful people go about that. So these this banking system, you know, we acknowledge their community banks do a lot of things we can't do. And so I think there are a critical part of the system. But so is a JP Morgan. You know, we bank small companies, large companies. We bank the IMF, the World Bank, We bank cities, stools, states, hospitals, We bank companies in thirty countries, you know, And so there's a reason that you have both large and small and all different types. And so I think we're over this part of it for the most part. There may be something else, but rising rates, if they get high enough, it careers uglyhead again. And so I think, like I said, it's not just banks. People should be prepared for slightly higher rates than they've been used to in the past fifteen years.
Speaker 12: Are there further redundancies necessary associated with First Republic. We knew we were going to get a plan from you guys by the end of the month. It's the end of the month. We know, maybe a thousand jobs cut, but there's seven thousand employees.
Speaker 4: There is there anything you.
Speaker 12: Can reveal on what further tightening is necessary as you integrate that bank.
Speaker 11: No, you know, they I think the thousand bud it was less than what they had planned to do on their own. And we need a lot of people, and we know we have a lot of you know, we hire a lot of people to hear, so I use the word redeployment. We're hoping that almost everyone who might lose their job, you know, and there might be some more, but almost everyone, we could say, hey we have this other job for you in the same city, you know, or something like that. So you know, we're pretty good at that and hopefully we can provide opportunity.
Speaker 14: You know, we welcome the.
Speaker 11: First First Republic people of a company. We're treating them with great humanity. I hope we're going to learn a lot from them. You know, very often when you have to do a do like this, you know, people are angry.
Speaker 14: We're not.
Speaker 11: I've never been part of a company. We didn't buy someone to merge someone where you don't learn somebody from both sides, and so you know they have this wonderful wealth uh business, you know, uh in banking and wealth management, and you know we're we have a few things to learn to do. I mean, I've never seen I've gotten so many emails from very happy customers and that's a great thing.
Speaker 14: So what can we learn and what can we do better? For JP? Morgan Jayson?
Speaker 12: Now, Jamie, I know last week you talked a lot about succession or about your position, that you're not talking about retirement right now. I do need to ask you though, And your name has been bandied about for years about public office. I mean, I don't think Wall Street's too pleased about the potential Trump versus Biden runoff next year. Is it any has that scenario ever crossed your mind that you would run for public office or even accept a cabinet position.
Speaker 11: You know, obviously it's crossed my mind because people mention things to you and stuff like that. I love my country and maybe one day I'll serve my country in one capacity or another.
Speaker 14: But I love what I do.
Speaker 11: I think Jadie Moore can do a great job for helping Americans, helping countries around the world.
Speaker 14: And this is my job.
Speaker 11: This is what I'm going to do, and I'm quite happy doing it. I still have the energy to do it. I mentioned you know that when you don't, I think people should give up the job if you've got a fabulous management team where I really enjoy working with.
Speaker 12: So now I'm here, David Diamond, thanks so much for your time.
Speaker 4: I'm Bloomberg.
Speaker 14: Thank you.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business App, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak