Speaker 1: From the Bloomberg Interactive Burgers Studios. This is Bloomberg day Break for Wednesday, June seventh.
Speaker 2: Coming up today, t eat Off reaction pours into the Controversi'll tie up between the PGA and Live Golf.
Speaker 1: Rishi Sunak makes his first visit to the White House as UK Prime Minister.
Speaker 2: City Group's Jane Fraser is the latest CEO to visit China.
Speaker 1: And New York overtakes Hong Kong as the most expensive place to live.
Speaker 3: Another deadly mass shooting, this time in Virginia. Plus New York City's air quality is the worst in the world because of Canadian wildfires. I'm Michael bar More Ahead.
Speaker 4: John Stash, Aaron Sports. The Yankees lost to the White Sox, put Aaron Judge on the injury list. Met's lost in Atlanta. Nuggets and Heat play Game three of the NBA Finals tonight.
Speaker 5: That's all straight Ahead on Bloomberg day Break, the Business news you need to start your day in just one fifteen minute podcast each morning on Apples, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business app and everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 1: And I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: First, what we're learning more about when it comes to yesterday's controversial tie up between the PGA Tour and Live Golf. The two tournaments are going to combine into a new commercial entity. The governor of the Saudi Wealth Fund is going to serve as its new chairman. PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monaghan is defending the move.
Speaker 7: This is a significant change for us in the direction that we were going down. But as I'm trying to explain, and I will continue to explain as we go forward, this ultimately is a decision that I think is in the best interests of all of the members of the PGA Tour.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 2: The deal between the PGA Tour and Live Golf is likely to draw scrutiny from regulators. The US had already opened an investigation into anti competitive violations when the two parties were separate entities.
Speaker 1: Well, Nathan, the deal comes at a critical time for the PGA. One of the tour's former top players, brooks Kepka PGA Championship after joining Live Golf, and another PGA major, the US Open, is just a week away. Mike wan is head of the US Golf Association and the former commissioner of the LPGA. He tells Bloomberg gets too early to say whether the PGA got pushed into the deal.
Speaker 8: If you think about live, it's a golf tour that has about a billion dollars of expenses and very little, if any revenue. Time will tell, But I am the other side of me reads that and says, you know, if I was sitting on a tour that had no revenue and a billion dollars of expenses and now there's a joint group owning that, would I feel more or less enthused about my future. I'm not sure what the answer to that is, but I think those are questions that aren't getting asked.
Speaker 1: USGA Commissioner Mike Wand says the timing of the announcement is interesting given that the US Open Search just one week from tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And we're going to have much more on this controversial golf merger coming up shortly, but first let's talk global politics. Rishi Sunak is making his first visit to the White House as UK Prime Minister. We go to London to get the details with Bloomberg. Daybreak europe Bankers Stephen Carol, good morning, Stephen.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Karen and Nathan. It's the British Prime Minister's most extensive interaction with US leaders since he took power in October. During this two day visit, Rishie sinakuwa meet the President, congressional leaders, and company executives. He wants to reaffirm transatlantic economic and cultural links, but a spokesman says he won't be discussing a trade deal with Joe Biden. The effects of the Inflation Reduction Act on the UK will be on the agenda, though, along with Ukraine, China, and how best to regulate the rapid rise of artificial intelligence in London. I'm Stephen, Carrol Bloomberg.
Speaker 5: Daybreak.
Speaker 1: All right, Stephen, thank you. While Prime Minister Sunak makes his way to Washington, Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln is putting his long plan trip to China back on track. Sources tell us Blincoln plans to visit Beijing in the coming weeks and could even meet with Chinese President hijin Ping. Begin more from Bloomberg's and Marie hord Dern in Washington. He was supposed to go earlier this year, but of course back got derailed when there was this alleged Chinese by balloon fly over the continent to US.
Speaker 2: And what the CEA Department has always said was that this trip was postponed.
Speaker 10: And now we know that the Secretary of State will be going in the coming weeks.
Speaker 1: And Bloomberg's and Marie hor Dern reports this would be the latest effort from the White House to bring some normalcy back to the strain in US China relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, first there was Elon Musk, then Jamie Diamond. Now word of another big CEO paying another visit to China. Let's get the details now from Bloomberg's John Tucker John.
Speaker 11: Nathan the boss at City Group, Jane Fraser vound to keep expanding operations in China. During her meeting with a nation's top financial regulator, the regulator promised to further open up the financial sector there. The trip comes despite growing tensions between China and the US, and as Western leaders trying to become less dependent on the communist led country. In addition, China's economy has fallen among rocky times and Beijing is cracked down on foreign businesses. Global banks have had to rethink their ambitions in China, revising profit goals and cutting jobs.
Speaker 3: You know York.
Speaker 11: I'm John Tucker, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 1: All Ry, John, Thanks well staying in China now, we have new developments and a controversy surrounding TikTok. TikTok's parent company by Dance has been accused of helping China track Hong Kong activists. Bloomberg day Break Asia Andcabrian Curtis has more from Hong Kong.
Speaker 12: A former by Dance executive Roger U, said China has god credential access to all data on the platform. You was by Dance's head of engineering in the United States. In a court filing, he says the Communist Party has a committee in Beijing with super user credential to track down protesters. By Dan says the claims are baseless and that it will vigorously fight this suit. TikTok faces bands in the US following reports the company reviews and stores user data in China. In Hong Kong. Brian Curtis Bloomberg.
Speaker 6: Daybreak, Okay, Brian.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Hong Kong, we're learning New York has taken over the city as the world's most expensive for expats, soaring inflation and rising accommodation costs were cited as reasons for New York topping ECA International's Cost of Living rankings this year. Hong Kong was second, while Geneva and London remained third and fourth. Singapore climbed from thirteenth place last year to break into the top five for the first time.
Speaker 1: O We're also focused on the Chinese economy this morning. Nathan. Data shows exports in the country fell for the first time, and it's adding to risks in the world's second largest economy as global demand weekends overseas. Shipman shranks seven and a half percent from a year ago.
Speaker 2: Tim not to take a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world with Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Michael, Good morning, Nathan. New York City as the worst air quality in the world this week. A thick haze of smoke hangs over major cities in the Northeast and New England. It's from the wildfires in Canada. Doctors are warning the air could be dangerous, especially to people with respiratory illnesses. Pulmonary specialist doctor Ada Capo says since the alert she has seen patients NonStop at her north Bergen, New Jah practice.
Speaker 13: We have seen a few patients with worsening asthma today, and we've seen more than a few with worsening allergy symptoms. This is actually probably the worst I've seen the numbers in a long time.
Speaker 3: New York Mayor Eric Adams says that air conditions are expected to deteriorate further this afternoon. Another mass shooting in the US in Richmond, Virginia, seven people were shot to fatally outside where a high school graduation ceremony had ended. One of the victims was an eighteen year old who had just graduated. Police have arrested a nineteen year old suspect. The field for Republican presidential candidates is expanding. Former New Jersey Governor Chris Christi announced his twenty twenty four campaign last night at a town hall event in New Hampshire. Christy tried to separate himself from the former president once he worked for, and saying it was a mistake to support Donald Trump.
Speaker 11: I voted for him twice.
Speaker 8: Okay, am I a Trump voter?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 8: Hell no? Man.
Speaker 3: Christy also slammed President Biden, saying he is not the guy he used to be referencing the eighty year old Biden's age. Mike Johnston declared victory as the next mayor of Denver. The former Colorado state senator and Democrat announced his runoff election win to supporters last night, volling to build a different kind of city.
Speaker 1: We can build a city that is big enough to keep all of us safe, to house all of us, to support all of us.
Speaker 8: That is our dream of Denver.
Speaker 3: Mayor Alec. Johnston received fifty four percent of the vote, while his opponent, Kelly Brow, the CEO of the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce, got forty six percent. Atomic energy officials are keeping a close eye on the reservoir feeding the cooling systems at Europe's largest nuclear power plant. Numerous towns and villages along the Denipro River in southern Ukraine have been flooded after the destruction of a hydro electric dam under Russian control. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalists, nantilists and over one hundred and twenty countries. Michael Bard, this is Bloomberg Nather. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Michael's time for a Bloomberg Sports update with John stash hour all right.
Speaker 4: Nathan Aaron Judge back get a place. No Yankee fan who wanted him to be the injured list when he missed nine games last month with the hamstring injury. The Yankees went three and six. Judge as a contusion and sprain ligament in his toe, not a fracture, but hope as he can return after a ten day stint on the il. Without him, Yanks had only three hits, not until the seventh inning. They lost the stadium with the White Sox three to two. Lucas Giolito held six hitless innings, they took him out. Bark Schmid took the loss call. The two and six Mets had only four hits in Atlanta. They had a four to one lead in the sixth sinning. The Braves rallied against Carlos Carrasco and Drew Smith scored four times in won six y four, and that drops the Mets under five hundred. Jacob de Gram, who had so many injuries while what the Mets now has perhaps his most serious injury. In his first season with Texas, Rangers signed him for one hundred and eighty five million dollars. The Grom made six starts and now he needs surgery. It may not pitch again until twenty twenty five. Another pitcher, Alec Manoa, who was Toronto's ace last season, sent down he has struggled this year.
Speaker 3: Nuggets and Hey.
Speaker 4: Game three of the NBA Finals tonight in Miami. They split to in Denver. Should be a great French Open men's semifinal Friday, when Novak Djokovic meets Carlos Alcaraz. They both list won their quarterfinal matches. The PGA Tour is in Toronto, teen off tomorrow. It will be interesting to hear today reaction from players after this Blockbusters story has heard earlier here on Bloomberg Radio. The PGA and Live Tours now merging. No one knew about it, not even Rory McElroy, who's been the most outspoken against players making the move. PGA Commissioner Jay Monahan met with players yesterday where it was the meeting was intense and he did. John stashed with Bloomberg.
Speaker 5: Sports from coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC nationwide on Sirius xam the Bloomberg Business Appen. Bloomberg dot Com is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. It is the story that has shocked the golf world. The PGA Tour is merging with Live Golf, the rival tour funded by Saudi Arabia, which has posched some of the biggest names from PGA. The surprise combination of these once bitter rivals has left many shocked and really confused. US Golf Association CEO Mike Wand sat down with the Bloomberg Business of Sports team.
Speaker 2: To give us his reaction to the news. He spoke with Bloomberg, Scarlett Foo and Damien sass Hour. Let's listen part of that conversation.
Speaker 8: Now, it was a surprise. I think like everybody else in the golf world, we were surprised by the news. And if this proposed consolidation can resolve these conflicts and get us the world of golf back focused on the opportunities and the growth that exists for the game, then that's an important step.
Speaker 14: But there's gonna be a lot of unhappy people here, I imagine as well. I wonder as we head into the US Open, and obviously twenty eight years since we've been in the Los Angeles area with a major. You know, what do you think is going to be the vibe surrounding the event?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I mean the game of golf is global, even if everybody in America doesn't really understand that. I came here after twelve years as the LPGA commissioner, where you know, when we played in seventeen countries a year and televised one hundred and ninety countries. I mean here I came with the US Open. This year, we had almost ten two hundred people entered to try to play in the US Open, and they came from We had entries from all fifty states, Puerto Rico, District of Columbia, but also eighty seven other countries. So not just viewership, you know, they'll watch the US Open in one hundred and ninety countries, but even in terms of participants trying to play their way in, I mean they literally come from all over the world. So that's an exciting time for the game.
Speaker 10: Does this mean that Saudi Arabia would play a role in funding development of future talent?
Speaker 8: I think I think everybody has taken, and myself included. You can't help it. You read this and you start trying to figure out all the stuff we don't know, and so exactly what this means in terms of who's in charge of what I think is a lot to be uncovered. So I'm going to wait like the rest and kind of figure that out.
Speaker 10: Was the PGA kind of pushed into doing this?
Speaker 8: Scarlett, I don't know if you're if you're comments writer or now, I mean currently, if you think about live, it's a it's a golf tour that has about a billion dollars of expenses and and very little, if any revenue. Yeah and so and nobody nobody really concerned about that because as long as the Saudi Fund wanted to keep funding it, we keep funding it. If this turns into the business that I read about in the release, well you really have a business and investment and a planned and anticipated way of return on that investment. You have to look at you have to look at every asset in the portfolio and time will tell. But I the other side of me reads that and says, you know, if I was sitting on a tour that had no revenue and a billion dollars of expenses and now there's a joint group owning that, would I feel more or less enthused about my future. I'm not sure what the answer to that is, but I think those are questions that aren't getting asked as well.
Speaker 10: Live slogan is golf, but louder. How should the game of golf adapt to incorporate some of the elements that live really presented to people, you know, a shorter game, three days instead of four days, fifty four holes, that kind of thing.
Speaker 8: Well, I said from the beginning. I mean, golf, Golf's a great, big game, and there's room for all kinds of formats. You know. What wasn't really helpful is really kind of divisive conflicts at the highest level. I mean, we were spending I've said this many times, but in the middle of golf's greatest boom, I mean really, in one hundred years, golf's greatest growth boom, we were spending ninety percent of our time talking about the conflict between a few about four hundred people. And that's okay. I mean, you know, those sport of people had choices to make in terms of where to play. But while that was going on, we were leaving no watting in the room to talk about more juniors than ever before, more women than ever before, more people playing the golf course, off a golf course, at top golfs and driving ranges than ever before, more more people playing the game outside the US and inside the US in the last couple hundred years. So it's been an amazing, you know, amazing run in terms of in terms of the sport. Unfortunately, a conflict at the very highest couple hundred is all we really seem to talk about. Unfortunately, we're probably going to talk it seems like we're gonna talking about it.
Speaker 10: No, no, I hear what you're saying. But at the same time, the innovations that.
Speaker 8: Live, so maybe we can get back to the game right.
Speaker 10: But the innovations that live really put out there and made part of its product is something that maybe the PGA Tour can incorporate. Should it.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure, you know, well, the PGA Tour be operating live, will will it be some sort of combination? But I do think that I do think that in all likelihood a year from now, they'll still be they'll still be professional tours as we know them, and there may and there may still be you know, live team oriented sports that are that are slightly different formats. I'm not sure that's I'm not sure that's ever been a bad thing, as long as there wasn't a constant conflict.
Speaker 6: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 6: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 1: And I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg Daybreak