Speaker 1: Lute face. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to software Radio, special operations, military mails, and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Welcome to another awesome episode of soft Rep Radio. I'm your host, the one and only rad And before I introduce my guests that are hanging out here with me, I want to point out that we have a merch store and if you go check out the merch store, buy some soft Rep Radio, some soft Rep gear, the mugs, the combat stuff we have. Go check it out. It helps keep the fireplace on. Also, we have a book club and it's pretty new to us this year, but we have great people. Everybody subscribing, So go check out soft rep dot com, Forward Slash Book Hyphened Club.
Speaker 2: Start reading a book. It's pretty good.
Speaker 3: And if you want to listen to a book, you can listen to me narrate Brandon Webb, best author New York Times Steal Fear and Cold Fear. I am the voice of Navy Seal Finn in the trilogy books that are coming out on Audible. With that said, today, you know I'm not going to be that podcast that takes fifty minutes to get into the ten minutes of the juice.
Speaker 2: We're just going to jump right into it. And speaking of juice.
Speaker 3: I have two guys here that decided to stop juice from flowing from your body in the eighties. Okay, So today I've got Bart Goolong and I've got Charlie Barber. Okay, and those two in the eighties. That's right, when Rambo was coming out on theaters in nineteen eighty eighty three, these guys were like, how do we stop blood from flowing out of an open chest wound?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show, gentlemen, Thanks so much, Thank you, Ron.
Speaker 3: I mean there's more introduction. Right, let's talk about quick clot. Right, you guys are the quick clot duo?
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Kind of Charlie wrote the book, my partner and I with other products right in the Blood, right, Charlie in the Blood.
Speaker 5: I'll set it up and then turn it over to Bart. So I had nothing to do with the invention of quick clot. I'm the writer. So I met Bart about ten odd years ago. Please tell us how you met Okay, So, I'm a book author. My book that we're talking about today in the Blood is my fifth book and just came out about two weeks ago. And I did meet Bart ten years ago. Truth be told. He was going out with a woman who lived across the street from my wife and I who we were friendly with, and we would be called in, my wife and I to sort of check out men that after they got to a certain stage with her, to see if they were okay. So we get summoned to Old Sayber, Connecticut August eleven, I believe it was. And I meet Bart and it's a very nice house on the shore in Connecticut, beautiful views of the ocean. And he said he had just retired, and I said, I basically said, being the writer and journalist, And I am where did you make your money? Because you know it's a nice spot, Yeah, said I and my partner invented a blood clotting agent called quick clot that I'm sure all of your viewers are familiar with. It's now in the first aid kit of every soldier in marine. It's at Walmart, it's at NYPD. But it took years to pull it off, and we had a big fight with the army over six years to make it happen. And this happened between well, it goes back to the eighties, but it really was two thousand and one to twoy ten that it all went down. So I'm thinking, you know, there might be a book here, you know, just based on what he said. So we stayed in touch. I didn't get round to writing the book about three years ago, and here we are today. The book came out two weeks ago. Bart, you probably have something else to add to that story.
Speaker 4: Yet again, I always add this, and that is uh. I was interested in Charlie doing a book. He was interested in doing a book. The lady and I broke up at about two months after we broke up, I gave her a call and said, whatever happened to Charlie? He seemed very interested in the book, she said, he changed his mind. He wants nothing to do with it, of course, of course, of course, no fury, hell, no, exactly exactly. And so now you guys reconnected, right. How'd you finally get his number? Though you just looked him up? You're like, nah, all right, thanks for the what'd you do? How'd you find a Bart?
Speaker 5: Yes? I had his number, you know, and I had written two other books in the intervening time, but my my docket got clear about almost four years ago, and so I had Bart's number and I called him six times over a weekend and he didn't pick up, and I was like, okay, he you know, I sort of disappeared. You know, he doesn't want to do this, move on to the next thing. So I remember as a Monday, I texted him and he called me right back and he said, oh, I just thought it was a you know, someone was bothering me. I didn't recognize the number. And within about we had I remember we talked for like an hour and a half and then within a week we were all systems go. He did have to check with his partner if he was up for the book. I remember saying to Bart, if we're going to do this, you need to be able to tell me the full story, warts and all. Are you up for that? He said absolutely? And then honestly, Base, I do other things. But basically two years full time work over the last three years, and we've got this book that's pretty hot right now.
Speaker 3: Right and it's called In the Blood, and it's the story of you Ry Bart.
Speaker 4: Essentially, it's the story of myself and my partner and the way we came together, and how we came together and gained the support of individuals in both the community and in the Navy medical community, in the soft community, and put this product together and then ran up against one individual at the Institute for Surgical Research that started a three year long battle that eventually fortunately the product one. I don't say we write because it's the product that won and we were able to get quick Plot and its son, Quick clot Combat goes into the hands of the people that needed it.
Speaker 3: Now, if I can just like, let's think about like some World War two movie that we've seen where they've ripped open a pouch of something and started pouring it on the wound, on a belly or whatnot, and flash forward to today. Are we starting to see kind of like quick clock coming out in the World War two time?
Speaker 4: What you see your reward World War two is sulfa powder, which was the precursor of antibiotics. It was a fairly ineffective anti bacterial. That's what would be poured into the wound. As Tom Eagles was our POC in the Navy Marine community. He was the head of medical for the Marine Corps, which means he was a Corman from the Navy and tremendous guy, appropriately named most highly decorated Corman in the Vietnam War, died from Agent Orange complications. Of course, yes, serve six tours. I believe, won everything except the except the medal.
Speaker 2: W Yeah.
Speaker 4: In fact, he's the only non pilot to win the Distinguished Flying Cross. He had a pilot, he had a helicopter pilot die on him. He grabbed the controls and landed, landed the bird. Just an amazing guy. Without him, we never would we never would have made it. But he took us under his wing and helped us make the whole thing happened, and helped us fight the battle, the age old battle between the Marines and the Army, and he helped us fight and eventually win that battle.
Speaker 2: And say his name one more time, so we have it clearly.
Speaker 4: Sure, Master Chief Thomas Eagles.
Speaker 3: All right, So forever it'll be out there on the internet, and then if anybody watches that, his name is always going to be said from voice.
Speaker 2: I just want you to have that.
Speaker 4: With an incredible honor to even speak his name, you.
Speaker 3: Know, And so thank you for diving into saving lives. I mean, someone had to go in and try to split, you know, atoms to create that, and you guys had to at least go into the science lab and start dissecting air and things that would start to clock blood.
Speaker 2: What was your thoughts?
Speaker 3: I mean, you're just like, you know, you come from your military brat, right, your dad's former military right, right, So you got that love and an English major, English major, right?
Speaker 2: He was what navy? World War two and.
Speaker 4: Maybe World War two? And I was an opponent of the Vietnam War, But unlike most of my friends, unfortunately for them, I was always anti war. But my attitude was hate the war, love the warrior. There you go for me. Anybody that will go down range and put their life on the line for this country, regardless of the reason, and they don't have an opportunity to choose the reason, they forever deserved tremendous honor in my book. But let's go back to the way it started.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: My partner, Frank Hersey is a genius.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Charlie, Oh yeah, I think probably the way to go is I'll sort of set it up and then Bart can give the details. So you're right, rat about the eighties, not about World War Two, because in World War Two they were basically using gauze and pressure, which is what there was basically no advances in traumatic bleeding from the Trojan War and the Civil War through Vietnam. It was the Blackhawk Down tragedy or mission that really where soldiers infamously bled out that put the Army and also just medicine's inability to stanch volume bleeding on put a huge spotlight on it and it was sort of crazy. I mean, keeping blood in the body was like this un all medical mystery that had been unsolved for too millennia. Pressure and gauze was what was being used. So Black Hawk Down, big movie, big book, a lot of attention to the bleeding issue within the military and particularly the army. So starting in the mid nineties, there's eventually a quarter of a billion dollars put into ways of stanch bleeding and they're all high tech, bioengineered solutions. Essentially create adding something to blood or to a wound on a bandage that enhances the clotting process, usually adding an actual clotting protein. Very expensive, very complicated issues with transmission of things like hepatitis because you're getting it from an animal. Right, you're bioengineering it from an animal. So quarter of a billion dollar like a race to solve bleeding. So Bart's partner in nineteen eighty three a guy called Frank, and the book is basically about Frank and Bart. He's a struggling mechanical engineer in an industrial park near Hartford, and he can't always pay his bills. He brings in a courts heater to heat the office some months. He's a great engineer, but he can't. He'd be the first to say this. He can't sell anything really right. But he's using this mineral to separate gases. He makes oxygen and hydrogen machines and nitrogen machines, and he uses a mineral called zeolite. Just think it looks like kitty litter. It's strip mind from Georgia. It's super cheap, and he pushes gases through this to create an oxygen enriched gas for breathing purposes. He's working entirely by himself. He thinks, hold on this zeolite. So two heaping tablespoons of zeolite has the surface area of a football field because it's all sliced up in so many bits. So it captures stuff, and it captures things in air and lets the oxygen go through. So he's entirely on his own head. Filters, it filters it. It's a sieve exactly. It's a perfect sieve. It's a perfect perfectness. It was used, as you're a noble, to absorb radiation. So he thinks, hold on, I don't know much.
Speaker 3: Using water to pour through rocks and you know rocks filt to the water, right, kind of that analogy for my listener. You know, you're pouring all your water through different rocks sediment and it comes out clean, right exactly.
Speaker 5: So he thinks he doesn't know much about blood. He's not a scientist, you know, a medical person, but he thinks there's he knows there's water in blood. So he just on his own. He doesn't talk to anybody about this. Maybe if I put the kitty litter into a wound, it'll absorb the water and it'll keep the clotting factors and the platelets, and that will turbocharge the clotting process, two things. Nobody in the history of medicine had ever thought of taking something away from blood to clot blood. Everything was adding right, So I call him the Ringo Star of Inventors. It's like simplicity, like the genius of simplicity. Let's just take the stuff away and your viewers can see it on YouTube if you look up quickclot there are trials on pigs and he was exactly right. It turns blood into jello in about thirty seconds, and it's.
Speaker 2: Little like coagulated.
Speaker 5: Bart has probably talked about the science a bit more than me, but Frank's basic insight was exactly correct. However, he's not a business guy. He writes a patent, he tries to sell it. The drug companies sneer at him. Actually most of them never even respond. Only one responds. He then loses the patent because he can't afford to keep it going. He meets Bart in nineteen ninety nine, like sixteen years later. Bart turns around his business of the gas machines because Bart's a natural and brilliant salesman. Nine to eleven happens. Bart brings this product, which is literally they take out of the barrel in Industrial Connecticut, they put the stuff in the microwave to they think it'll be a little drier and better to absorb. Send it to a trial run by the Navy in March two thousand and one, so it's right after nine to eleven two thousand and two, excuse me. And it's put up against thirty products that are all the high tech products that the military has looked at. Thirty products, they are now six finalists. Bart through Tom Eagles gets on at the last second and this dried up kitty litter that's like ten dollars a pouch outperforms every other product they put it onto. Six hundred and fifty pounds swine cut them in the femeral artery, which is one hundred percent fatal injury. Their product, which doesn't even have a name at this point, is the only one where all the pigs survive. I'll let Bart tell the rest of the story.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, first of all, I mean, really, you know, to set it up like that where you know they fatally cut the artery and then through the quote unquote what we're gonna call it kitty litter, but it's going to get a name here in a minute. Bart, what are you feeling right here when it's clotting up? You know, you're you're seeing it work. The trials are going the way you want them to you got to be feeling good.
Speaker 4: Well I was. We're all a little skeptical, and Frank is the kind of guy that reminds you of the absent minded professor who invented flubber, and so I was never one convinced the product worked, but we were the outside kid. Prior to the trials. We went down and I went to a meeting of all the six products, with all of these very heavy mds and PhDs to discuss the protocol, the way the pigs would be cut, and what would happen and how it would all be done. And I sat there and listened to all of them argue about how it was going to be done and try to manipulate the process so that it fit their product. It came around to me after they spent about half an hour, and Joe decorda who was another player here, lieutenant commander in the navy and a genius, said to me, all right, well what about quickla, how do you feel about the protocol? I said, Frankly, the way I see it, nobody's going to ask some kid in the ditch how he wants to be wounded. So we have to work under any circumstance. So whatever you do, do it and that kind of put us in a good position right from the get go. And the product. What Charlie says is exactly right that the plot the product produced was like jello.
Speaker 2: It was a.
Speaker 4: Very it was very non oxygen based lot. So it was flexible, which means it would hold because when quick plot was applied, that wasn't the end, that was only the beginning. Then you had dust off an awful lot of transportation before you got to an aid station. And the beauty of it was that that plot was flexible but firm enough that it survived all the way to the aid station.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: And just like the whole concept is in wounding or in any traumatic injury, keep the blood in the body. That's right, because the blood keeps the body alive. And if you can keep the blood in the body, then you've got a good shot. And in fact, we're very fortunate. According There are various statistics, but the one that we know and understand the best is in every war from the Trojan War forward, the number of Kias in the field who bled to death was we're twenty one percent, was twenty one percent in Iraq. That number dropped to eleven percent. That's quick clot.
Speaker 2: That was a long war too.
Speaker 4: That was a long war.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean to have eleven percent, right, you know, like you know versus all the troops because we have so many veterans, We've millions of veterans from that fifteen to twenty year long excursion in the Middle East that they all were sent on. And I'm sure my listener might be a combat medic, may have had an IPAC, you know, some type of a medical pack on them that they had to go put this on their buddy. And they can probably talk about it too. I'm sure there are. You've got survivors who have given you testimonials like I'm alive because of quick clot.
Speaker 4: Fairly early in the war, I had moved to Florida. I had a Marine Corps license plate it said Q CLOT and I pulled up to I stopped at a stop light and a radiol pickup truck pulled up beside me and the guy, older guy signaled for me to lower my window and said, does that mean quick clot And I said, yeah, my partner and I invented it. He said, God bless you. That stuff saved my son's life, and then he drove off and left me dumbfounded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, rockstar moment right there for you. Although you're saving lives and you're not trying to be that, you are that.
Speaker 4: What we want to do is we want to see this product in the hands of anyone who gets wounded. Remember that last year, in the entire war, six thousand of our best and brightest died. In the past year, thirty six thousand people have died on the highways.
Speaker 3: Well, let's talk about gun violence that's been happening in our schools here in America. You know, this is a real thing and we shouldn't be afraid to address that problem. But I'm not trying to put that on this pedestal here. But having quick clot sadly is going to be better than not in that situation.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, And so any place, really I've had it. I've had quick clock. I got some back in two thousand and eight. Maybe I had a pack.
Speaker 3: It was like kind of like a greenish tanned, kind of rip it open style pack.
Speaker 2: You know, I think I have it somewhere a couple of them. Still.
Speaker 3: Does it expire or is it really just like a mineral that can last until it's needed.
Speaker 4: The FDA requires a sports created expiration date, so we do.
Speaker 2: Just like salt.
Speaker 3: I've got these great salt flats here in Utah that are dinosaur salt flats.
Speaker 2: Paper. Yeah, exactly a toilet paper, poor tree, you expired right right? Oh man? So has quick cloud ever been attributed to somebody?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know, you know, just like here it is man, they needed it at like in Vegas does does do?
Speaker 2: All the police departments now adopt it like Vegas strong and it.
Speaker 5: Just circle back for a moment. We I profile it in the book a soldier and a police officer whose lives were saved by quickclot. One was an Army lieutenant in Iraq, and five loses an arm and a leg in a bomb explosion under his humvey. The two guys he's with or killed instantly. He's thrown one hundred feet, takes them minutes to find him. Does lose an arm and a leg, but an Army medic gives him quick clot and it saves his life. I also profile a police officer in northern New Jersey who's shot in the femeral artery by a deranged man. Is given quick clot by on the on the roadside by a police officer who's a former marine who got quickclot from the war ont exposed to it. He survives, goes back to the police force. What's profound about that story is it circles back to black Hawk Down Jamie Smith's death. He was an Army private ranger of private who was shot in the federal artery and bleeds out because they can't reach the federal artery to pinch it, so they kind of impotently watch as he bleeds out and there's too much fire for them to get a helicopter to get him out. So it's the medical powerless to stop it because he just can't pinch it off. There's and there's no agent. This is before, this is ninety ninety three. There's no agent. It's the beginning of this race. And so the quick plot given to our friend, now Gerald Veneziano, the police officer, it's the same injury in the federal artery that you know happened twenty years before. Now there's quick clot and he you know, he's alive today. So however, there's another part of the story within with the intervention of Tom Eagles that bart was talking about with the Commander of the Marines, the Commandant of the Marines, and the adoption by the Navy and the Air Force and the Coast Guard. Quick Lot is in Iraq in late summer two amazingly five months after the trial. It's deemed mission critical and the FDA approves it in two months, which is extraordinary, right.
Speaker 2: Super fast yeh, super fast.
Speaker 5: War and people doing the right thing, and they have this slam trial. They have this slam slam.
Speaker 2: And how can you not want to approve it? Right? Right, it's saving lives.
Speaker 3: It's worth the life saved than any secondary effects of death.
Speaker 5: Exactly so, right, with fairly short time period, the Pentagon says it's saved fifteen soldiers and Marines lives. But the Army does not adopt it. All the other service branches adopt it, but the Army has another product that ultimately fails. Then they go to another product which is potentially very dangerous, that fails. Quick Clot is there with the other service branches, and it's not until the Army goes through these two agents that fail at high risk that Quickclot eventually wins. In eight and again Bart i just wrote about it. Bart lived it, so he's the one to tell the story.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: Fortunately, the soft community, because as you probably know, the soft community there's an entity onto itself financially and command wise. They had it when the Marines got it, because they can ignore all other protocols and whatever happens on the big army level. They had it, and in fact the way they got it first was the British Marines had it got wored very early on that our guys were trading bottles of Scotch for quick Clock so they could have it themselves. Oh, moms and wives were starting starting fundraisers to get quick Clock so it could be sent down range to their National Guard units that were.
Speaker 3: The personal purchase stuff. They wanted to try to personal purchase as wives of support home saying if our government's not giving it to the boys and the girls that need it, we're going to do something on the home front to try to give them this product. Was it available to the civilians to purchase or were you specifically workings or not? GSA, I don't want to say that, but like government at this point, I mean.
Speaker 4: We were mainly working government, but I was at I was at the Army Trauma Conference in Florida and feeling pretty low because to my mind, whatever and this is the way it was. Whatever happened at Fort Sam Houston determined everything the Army bought from a medical.
Speaker 2: In total medical area too. Fort Sam Houston, Yep, yep.
Speaker 4: But I was there and we were suffering the slings and arrows of all the guys that had been convinced by Fort Sam that our product was no good. And it was the chief surgeon, divisional surgeon of the tenth Mountain Division, of course, who came walking down the aisle said, show me your product. I showed it to him, told him, if it's improperly applied, there's a risk of a second degree burn. And he said to me, so second degree burn and you're alive, or no burn and you're dead, right. I said that that pretty much adds it up. I should tell you that Fort sm Houston, the institute the ISR, is against the product. And what he said was, I don't care what the laborat say. They don't get down range and get shot at by people they'd never met before. My guys are the ones that are out there putting their ass on the line. And I want this for my guys. That began a whole nother process of us realizing we're not going to sell it from the top down, so we started selling it from the bottom up. We went to individual units who had their credit cards for their unit, and every unit in line would max oute. We ended up selling it from the bottom up and created the tidle wave of sales at that that pissed off Fort Sam so much that they outlawed it. Oh what their next move was to outlaw the products.
Speaker 2: Someone's panties were ruffled.
Speaker 4: Yep, and uh it was. It was a serious battle that ended up on the Floria Congress, but eventually we won.
Speaker 2: What administration was.
Speaker 4: That that was George W.
Speaker 3: The junior Right, Yeah, okay, yeah, I mean if you're literally I have a cat, I have a litter box. It clumps really like it. I'm thinking about Brave Heart. I'm like so many blood wounds.
Speaker 2: And like hacks and like stabs and just.
Speaker 3: Like these flesh wounds that they probably could have lived from, right if they just like put sand on it, even just to clott it, just to like per se.
Speaker 4: Remember, it's got to be selective.
Speaker 3: It does, it does, It's specific. I understand it. But you design something from the earth. Everything that we have is from this earth.
Speaker 2: Man, oh man.
Speaker 4: You know I can't claim credit for that. It's my partner, Franker, that's right, has the genius that Charlie talked about. That's simple solutions for very complex problems, and that's what really can make this country work.
Speaker 5: You're right rad in that there's something brilliantly primitive about the solution that Frank came up with. There. If you go to ancient texts, Greek and Persian texts, they use clays on wounds and think of a dog rolling in the dirt after a wound. Right, And there's a mind boggling thing that I'll put out to you and your listeners. So the zelite that we're talking about eventually became synthetic zeolite, that is, you know, based on the actual mineral, but a synthetic product LAB created. Yeah, Lab created, right, And so that was what went to war.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: It's been such a phenomenon. Zeolite and the use of another mineral, kalin, which is now what's in currently in combat gauze that causes no heat. So there's no way around it. It's just a brilliant slam dunk product. The company that runs it, Bart had sold it around the time that I met him, the company that makes it now it was sold for half a billion dollars a couple of years ago. So it's just a you know, this was an idea that a guy had in a basement in nineteen eighty three. So there's been a lot of research about these two minerals and their miraculous ability but very simple ability to clot blood. So Chinese researchers, this is only about three years ago, and I read, you know, can't tell you how many scientific articles I read, and I talked to twenty hematologists, et cetera, et cetera. Chinese researchers wounded rabbits, this is like three years ago, and they used the minerals you like, just out of the mountains of China, right ground up right, you know, a relatively small study. It worked brilliantly at clotting blood. So here's the mind blowing thing. If a Frank hurt and then a guy like Bart Goolong had come along in eighteen fifty nine, because it's just the rock works just as well. And think of if this had been available in World War One, in World War two worldwide, we're talking hundreds of millions of people. The Pentagon estimated three or four years into the War on Terror it had saved Quicklot had saved one hundred and fifty soldiers and marines lives in the scheme of things, I honor them all, but there it's a relatively low you know, injury and death war right. And also Quicklot was this US use was used on civilians a lot in Iraq because they wore a lot of the bloodshed. So the mind boggling thing is if someone had come up with this idea, you know, three centuries ago, how many more people would be alive now?
Speaker 3: Kings, kings who died who probably needed to die, would still be alive, right, you know, like like that boar that got the one king in the leg and he just bled and just kept bleeding and kept bleeding. You know, it's like, where's my quick clot that's black magic, Your majesty, we need to like leach you. It's like, no, give me the quick clot. Well you're dead, sorry, bro. Next, So it's like not to I mean to put it. So, you're right, if it was so thought about, if you just if they just looked at mud on the side of the river becoming mud with dirt, water and dirt mixing together to like coagulate itself and bind itself.
Speaker 5: The step here now, just real quick. I think part of the story of the book and the you know, one of the lessons of the book is that sometimes it takes a total outsider to see something clearly. And we're not here to diss those PhDs mds doing the biotech stuff, although they didn't treat Bart very well. They're like, who is this guy that just walked into our meeting? Right, they're working within the paradigm that they know of. You know, they know the clotting cascade well. Of course, to promote the clotting cast gade, you add some more clotting factors. It took a guy, you know, Frank As a bachelor's degree in engineering. He went to night school for ten years to get it. This is around the time that he comes up with the idea. No, he doesn't really actually know much about blood. He to this day he gets things about blood wrong. Because we were on the circuit a lot. He started gets some things a little confused. But it takes the outsider to see it more clearly than the people in it. And one of the things I'm proud about this book is honoring the role of the amateur, you know, the brilliant amateur who can see what we don't see. You know, it's a little it's a little van go like, you know, it's a little bit like this guy saw things that nobody else could see.
Speaker 2: It's very much like that.
Speaker 3: It's very much you know, I don't know savant, you know, it's like they're good at what they can. Some people can see things differently. Artists have a different way to draw with their mindset. I do things differently than you. But I mean, yeah, you know, it takes as a pen and a pad and you can write down your thoughts in the lab and you know, come out with it. It just is that way. It's amazing that he created and thought around it. And I don't mean to just call it dirt. Let me be clear, Okay, the zealite is not just that is a refined mineral.
Speaker 2: It is refined.
Speaker 3: It is it is created to stop the bleeding out of your body, and I want to respect it, but I'm just so like you said, it could have been so primitive thought about.
Speaker 2: But Frank was like, hey, you know this is let me try this.
Speaker 4: He's a genius. He truly is a genius. On the one hand, he can see things. You hit it right on the head. Yeah. He looks at everything around us with a little bit different angle than anyone else. And I saw that in him very early, and it taught me enough to shut up and let him let him speak when those few times they did speak. Very quiet guy, very unassuming, can't handle meetings at all. Hill. My greatest memory is we were negotiating the sale of the company for two hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Ten minutes into the meeting, he got up and wandered and said, well, you guys got this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's like, you got this? I need to driggle water A good.
Speaker 4: Also the kind of guy who would we never Frank and I never had a piece of paper between us. Everything we did we did on a handshake. Just an unbelievable guy. But there's the next step here, and for your listeners and from our point of view, my point of view, in Frank's point of view, the job isn't done yet because in the same way that discovering the bacteria caused most diseases. Quick lot has changed the entire paradigm, the entire plane agram of saving people from bleeding. Quick clot essentially puts the power to stop bleeding that only a surgeon has right into the hands of anyone who can open a packet. That's right, and we haven't gotten there yet. Police officers carry it. That's a big step forward. Should be at every gun range. It should be like and it's a breaking case of emergency. It should be like here it is, you know. And so a lot of folks want to be trained on stuff, you know, they want to wear these different use these different you know, specific one tourniquit and like there's like fourteen different tourniquits that they should know them all, you know what I mean, Understand how they all apply it quick clot. Understand how it applies and how you try to get it to stop.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So if you're ever presented with that, you know, just do probably a YouTube tuatorial. You can probably look this up on YouTube. How do I apply quick clot? And you know, if you go and get quick clot and you don't want to open up your own packet and waste it, you can maybe watch tutorials.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's out.
Speaker 4: There you can buy. You can also buy a training package.
Speaker 3: Oh, perfect training package, you know, and you can just get down on it. That's the best way to do it right, one hundred percent. Just have an understanding, have it in your backseat of your car.
Speaker 4: But it's no longer. It's no longer you wait for the cop to arrive or you wait for the ambulance to arrive. Now it's you open a package and you save a life and you're the first responder and you are able to save that person's life inside the golden hour. I'm sure your listeners know the gold know the golden hour, and once you're inside that golden hour, the chance of survival is so much higher. And that's what quick Collet does. It gives life, it preserves life.
Speaker 2: Okay, nothing's one hundred percent perfect. Let's be clear.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can apply this and things can still take a traumatic toll the opposite direction. And I'm sure that this product helps give you the percentages that you want to survive and need to and it gives morale to the person probably.
Speaker 2: Applying it to you, like hey, I got some quick cloud and puts on you okay, I got you. I got you okay, and like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, just that empathy trying to just know that I've got something to put on you and give you that peace of mind while you're in your worst that might help you. I got you.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: In the in the battlefield environment, it's a force multiplier because when one warrior gets wounded, that means that guarantees that two people are out of the action. That's right, And what it means is that that second warrior can stop, apply hold your own pressure, and back in the fight. In the civilian community, even police officers don't get that until every time I get stopped by a cop or I see a cop, I give them. I give them a combat goes and they say, well, I already carry that. I've got my belt trauma kit. I carry it. And I said, this isn't for your cruiser, this is for your family car. M And you can see the light go off, and that's where it should be.
Speaker 2: Every good bar keep.
Speaker 3: Turning those lights on, keep turning the lights on. You just keep turning everybody's lights on. Bart and you know you're turning my lights on. I'm like, I'm like, where's my quick clot.
Speaker 2: Is it here? I'm like, is it on my dresser? Where was it last? You know? Really? You know?
Speaker 3: And I just want to be clear to my listener and to anybody listening. These guys are guests of my show. I am in no way like paid in any context by these guys to talk about the book In the Blood and quit Clot. What I have here is I've got a guy who looks like he's got a halo around him in the top corner, and that's Bart and he's all nice and glowy.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: He's the one that helps bring Quickclock to the market. And then we got Charlie who is the author of In the Blood, the story about the creation and where it's at today of quick clot. So you know, this is something that you can go find, probably like at a local sporting goods store nowadays.
Speaker 2: Don't you think it's available on Amazon?
Speaker 4: I should also say that we sold the company a long time ago. We no longer have any financial interest, but we still have a very moral and personal interest and seeing this product it out there.
Speaker 3: I feel, if I may, before you know you say anything else, I feel that you and Frank, although there was this money at the pot in the rainbow here for you. I don't feel like that's what it was really one hundred percent. I feel like you're like, hey, this can But I feel like Frank was like a savant. I was like, hey, good, do you think this could help stop bleeding? And you're like, yeah, bro, like this is he already?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I just feel like, you know, it wasn't about that, because I don't get that from you.
Speaker 4: No, it's in fact, when we were in the worst of it, when the army was trying to destroy us, we sat down and we realized together. There was never any conversation about stopping giving up.
Speaker 2: What there was was.
Speaker 4: Recognition that we were the Blues Brothers and we're here on mission from God. That's right, and that mission isn't over as long as somebody bleeds out there and doesn't have the product. We're still on that mission. Who's Jake, Who's Olwen? Which one's Frank?
Speaker 2: Right here? Let's go, We gotta go, guys.
Speaker 5: Come on, you know, next interview, I'll be in a hat in a suit.
Speaker 2: Rad I love it.
Speaker 5: To your point. Friends of mine run a what's called a violence intervention program in New Haven. There most of them are former felons, and they go into rough neighborhoods in New Haven, Connecticut where you know, frankly they were gang involved or whatever. They've now reformed their lives and they're work reaching out to kids don't do what I did. And they intervene after a shooting to try and you know, get kids not to retaliate and things like that. So I was just actually, they came to our reading in New Haven a couple of weeks ago, members of the team. They were saying, we need this this stuff right, our team needs this stuff. Our kids need this stuff. I followed up on it. Bart wants to get them some combat gauze, and we're going to follow through on that, in fact where I think we're going to do an educational session. But I subsequently followed up and the guy who runs the team as a former parole officer, said, virtually all of the guys on the team have stood there helplessly while a kid that they had been working with is bleeding out on the street, waiting and they're waiting for the MTS to arrive. And you know, I think first responder systems in the United States are very good for the most part, I think they're very sophisticated, but there you can die in five minutes from a gunshot wound. They're usually not there in five minutes. Right, Oh, totally right, I mean, and so totally can do is by time for the empts and the police to arrive. And you know, it's a hugely popular product. It's but you know, it's not as well known as it should. And one of the things that we're really enjoying because Bart and Frank and I are on the circuit, although it's really Bart and me because Frank doesn't talk very much, but it would be a three minute interview rad Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, I'll get it out of him. It's been an hour already.
Speaker 5: We're realizing that one of the secondary gains, or maybe this primary gain of this book, because we we got a rave review in the Wall Street Journal a couple of weeks ago, we're sort of in demand. We're realizing that one of the I think Bart would say, the number one thing we're getting out of the book is you know, promoting quick clot and it should be in the hands of you know, people everywhere, including your cat.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Agreed, I'm just holding up. I just do I have a cat in my hand. Go ahead, Lena, No, I.
Speaker 3: Just she just wanted to hear and see you. She wanted to see you. She wants to see who I'm talking to about. Quick clod right, the number one blood coagulating agent probably on the market that helped stops festering wounds from festering any further. You know, just recently in the NBA, there was a championship game that happened in Denver, So you know this morning or last night, nine people were just shot. Oh no, just outside the having a celebration for this was in Denver last night this morning. I hate to date my shows, but I'm just bringing it up.
Speaker 2: Right. That's combat. Those are casualty. There's that's mass hysteria. That's the crowds dispersing.
Speaker 3: That's people just laying there, people not knowing what they're looking at, laying there, not knowing what they're doing. They're laying there, they're just out having a party, drinking a beer, celebrating the championship of their favorite professional basketball team in their state, and just pop, pa, pa papa. You know, if first responders had quick claw or have it, that's probably going to help them to be able to assess that situation and triage them.
Speaker 2: It's just like that they should just have it. Everybody should have.
Speaker 5: It, right, and it's great at first responder have it, but even not all first responders have it. I think at this point EMTs have it. But and it's standard issue and NYPD, but you know, obviously we follow it very closely. There's still fundraisers that Little Rock, Arkansas just making that up. The first responders are trying to do a fundraiser to get it, you know, and I found because.
Speaker 2: The department can't afford it.
Speaker 3: Right, But it's a life right, It's priceless, right, Like how much can I buy my life back for?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: But it's a fire extinguisher too, And you know, a fire extinguisher is the kind of thing that you'd never need until you need it, then you really need it, right, And that's pretty much essentially what quick clod is too. And until people realize that there are fires burning all around them, right, it's going to be an uphill battle.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: I've been involved in car accidents that happened behind me in the middle of nowhere, and all I had was like a little rink ade flashlight and it was just like lighting up a little my grandpa's nineteen sixties camp or silver flashlight.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, why do I have this in two.
Speaker 3: Thousands in my cars that have some tactical light period in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 2: In the darkness.
Speaker 4: I've used it and given it to emt Yeah, at car accidents that I've stopped at.
Speaker 2: That's right, eight times. That's right. Because you might be that first responder. You might you know, or self rescue.
Speaker 3: Yep, right, what if it's just you and you have it and you something happens when you do cut your leg and you're bleeding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead, Charlie.
Speaker 5: So I do have to have you ask your question to Bart about famous musicians that he's met.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, right, right right.
Speaker 3: We were talking about that, and I know, I get all emotional and like really passionate about something.
Speaker 2: And we love rock stars, right. I was talking to Charlie a little bit.
Speaker 3: I had done some security in the past and work with some rock stars, and there was a question on one of the internet social media's and it's like, who's the most famous person that you've.
Speaker 2: Spoken to as a rock star?
Speaker 3: And I sat there and I looked at it and I've been around a few people and I was like, Neil Diamond and I wrote Neil Diamond down.
Speaker 2: I was like, I got to talk to him.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: That was a cool two day security gig.
Speaker 3: I got to work with him and I met him in ways that people never saw him, just normal dude in a cardigan sweater, and then he comes out and sparkles, like this Neil Diamond that we want to see in the concert. All security has to wears black. No one's allowed to wear any other colors because he wears all black that sparkles. So he doesn't want like some yellow security anywhere in the show at all. It's no he just like boom him.
Speaker 2: Have you Charlie?
Speaker 3: Do you guys have anybody that you've ever met who's the most famous musician? Bart, let's go with you.
Speaker 5: I did some bodyguarding in my life, so Brad, I know nobody. I've never met a famous musician. But but Bart has a story for you.
Speaker 2: Let's hear Bart.
Speaker 4: I have a friend who I was involved with musicians for a while, and I did some bodyguarding and I was bodyguarding for a friend in New York City at the what was the name of that club. It was a western It was a country and western club downtown and the Lone Star Cafe exactly. And it was a guitar guitarist. Do you remember the name of the guy. It was a rockabilly guitarist from Texas who Lonnie Mac whom my buddy was the road manager, the manager for Lonnie Mack. He asked me to come down. He said, there's gonna be some celebrities. I just wanted you to keep an eye on them. So I went down at the appointed hour and it was Mick Jagger in the crowd. So I stood behind him, just stood at his table. There was it was a it was a great crowd, there was no issue. And stood there for a while. At the break, my buddy said, Okay, go upstairs. Go up the stairs. There's a dressing room, a long corridor, he said, nobody, but nobody goes in that dressing room except the band. So I went upstairs. I'm standing there, ready to go, ready to be that bodyguard, you know. Yeah, a big French coat on the whole deal.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I love it.
Speaker 4: There comes Mick Jagger down the down and I thought, okay, Mick Jagger's coming in hey, mate. So Mick came in and I was I was along with Mick Jagger, and I have to say I was a little tongue tied standing there with Mick. I look up and two more guys are coming down down the corridor and they are the scruffiest looking guys I've ever seen in life, and I thought, all right, there's no way these dirtbags in here. Sed up and I stood up and I said, sorry, nobody but nobody except the band comes in the store. And one of the scruffy little guys said, well, well, I'm Bob Dylan's manager, and this is Bob Dylan. Oh, I said, nobody but Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, and.
Speaker 2: Bob Bob Dylan's manager, and.
Speaker 4: So I let him in. Jagger came to me. Jagger kind of slid over and said, I've never met Bob Dylan, which you introduced me. So, I mean, obviously I just met Bob Dylan, but he just wanted he's icebreaker in a strange way.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: So that's my claim to fame. I actually introduced Mick Jagger and Bob Dylan.
Speaker 3: Dude, we're going to have that typed out in our website. The fact that you introduced Mick Jagger to Bob, Dylan, Anton or Chris whoever does my dictations put that in this?
Speaker 2: I mean it.
Speaker 3: I know you guys listen to this. This is awesome. That's awesome, as awesome as quickclot. I know you're a rock star, bro, I felt it.
Speaker 4: In my own mind.
Speaker 2: Well aren't we all? You know?
Speaker 3: I tell people if you wind up in a conversation to me, I only talk to rockstars, you know, So if we're talking, then there you are.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: I'm honored doubly. Now it's a privilege. I'm glad, Charlie. And what was it, Scott that arranged the whole situation on the back end? Maybe your publicist, Scott. Let's give him a shout out for arranging all of us together today. I really want to say thanks for reaching out and wanting to.
Speaker 2: Be on the show. That makes me want to have you on the show. And you know in the blood do you want to say anything about that, Charlie? You want to say? I know it came out already. It's where every book is sold right.
Speaker 5: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, your own bookstores, bookstore, dot Org and it's getting really nice reviews. There's more to come. We'll probably be on your show in a couple of years. Very proud of the book, and it's you know, we're getting this story out into the world. That is, these guys live through it. And maybe a lot of your listeners know about it because they were in combat and they were dealing with you know, quick lot and the alternative products. But most people don't know about this. So it's a very very satisfying to get you know, a lot of the There's a couple of reactions to the book. One is I can't put it down, and because it's kind of like a movie and it's it's it intercuts between the principles, which it should be yep. The other thing is how did I not know about this?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Let me just say something real quick about about Charlie. Charlie writes nonfiction books, and when just the word nonfiction has immediately it feels like there's a dryness sucking into you that it's, oh, this is nonfiction and it's not that interesting. It's a reality. Even if this, even if this were a boring story, which I think you've seen, it's not Charlie has a way of turning a nonfiction work into a novel, and the kind of novel just as he says, you really can't put it down. It's a novel that happens to be true.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Is it available on like audible for anybody that may want to like truck drive and listen?
Speaker 2: Okay, is all right? Good? Or you know, work in the fob and listen.
Speaker 4: Just to give you an example, Just to give you an example. Yesterday morning, Frank sent me a text that said, Gee, I've got a friend who's too blind to read, and I'm so sorry he can't get the book. I said, and I type back in, said Frank, there are audible books. The reply, what's that? So that's another little piece of Frank. Now he knows. When I explained to him that audible books been available for years, he's His response was, what a great idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think of that.
Speaker 3: Like sands through the hour glass, Frank, like sands through the hour glass, my friend. Okay, Well, I think that you know, you guys have been awesome to be on the show. It's been a wonderful opportunity to talk with you. I think that this should become a movie or a TV series, and I hope you all the success, and if it does, I can totally play Bart. There you go, okay, there, I was thinking maybe i'd play you.
Speaker 2: Oh do it?
Speaker 4: Do it?
Speaker 2: Okay? Perfect, And we'll just have to incorporate the show towards in the show. Come on, Charlie, work with us here.
Speaker 3: But again, I love that you put words on paper, okay, And I love that you use your your mega mind to do so. And you're still in that lifestyle.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: I want you to keep that up. Someone's gonna have to write for me when I get my life story out there.
Speaker 2: Bart.
Speaker 3: It's an honor and a pleasure. And Frank, I know you're gonna watch us and listen to this. You keep up being a madman, and you may not know it, but you are.
Speaker 2: And just keep it up.
Speaker 3: And you know there's other things you can still cocoon yourself, bro and butterfly something else. All right, we have many lives to live through this one time on earth, So you know, kicking up a notch, Bro, if you got a quick clot, you got more.
Speaker 2: Come on, Frank, let me inspire you. Is that a good call out for Frank?
Speaker 5: That was that was.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, with that said, I'm gonna wind down the show. I've had your guys's souls for an hour.
Speaker 3: There's a whole life worth of the work that you've put out here, and there's a whole more that you can read about by checking out It's in the Blood, right in the Blood, In the Blood written by Charlie Barber co created by Bart and his buddy Frank, and my name is rad saying thanks for watching Soft Rep. Go buy our merch and I appreciate you, Brandon Weapon putting.
Speaker 2: Me on the show all the time.
Speaker 1: Same peaks, lease them listening to self red Radia