Speaker 1: Ring, ring, ring ring. May I please speak with Zoe.
Speaker 2: Oh, Hello, Lamurn, Let's patch and Hannah.
Speaker 3: God, I forgot what it was like working with you, guys.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to Welcome to our show. How have you all been out there? I hope you're doing well. I hope all of your hopes and dreams have come true. I hope you get the job that you want. Hope you start that company that you have been dying to start. I hope you slept with that person that you've been dreaming of sleeping with. And I hope that person is laying next to you right now. And I hope you guys are perfect harmony, in sync and madly in love with each other, which is a perfect segue into who our guest is. On today's show, Folks, we're recapping episode four of season two Neighbors with a very special guest. For nearly a decade, he wrote for Conan O'Brien. Scratched that. I'm gonna say he wrote with Conan O'Brien. Conan O'Brien could be so lucky to have known this person did all that before writing on the hit series Single Parents and New Girl. Now recently wrote a hilarious episode of the Sarah Borealis and Busy Phillips show Girls five ever fantastic show. This man is one of the coolest and funniest people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and working with. I've always said that this man is someone who has and will help me hide the body. So please welcome Berkeley Johnson to the shower. What's up, man?
Speaker 4: Nothing, Thank you. It's a real treat to be here.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you for being here.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: We've been doing this show for a season and you are someone who has the inside scoop on this show because because for a long time you've been a creator of this show. Uh tell me, man, Uh, what's going on with you? What's going on? We talked a little bit about your your your your writing credits and such. You know what, what what are you working on? What you got going on?
Speaker 5: You know very little right now, but uh, you know, just this hasn't been my favorite three years in the history of time, but it's been you know, it is what it is, and uh, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I say, none of that matters because you worked on one of the greatest shows of all time.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, I'm done. Yeah, why you even why even try to, uh to top you running around with a ski? One of the wanted to hit people with it.
Speaker 1: Jesus that, I gotta say that was one of the more interesting things about my character development. Uh. And I was curious what some of those, I don't know, those discussions in the writer's room look like, because you know, for so long, coming on as a new character on a show, you have to piece certain things together and figure out storylines, and you've lived with other storylines for other characters and character traits for so long. But then you have this guy who just pops up in episode two, Like, what was that like in the writer's room? Was it hectic? Was it kind of loose?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think has been well documented both in speaking Foreman by just watching the show. We had to us a little while to figure your character out because through no fault of your own and entirely our own thing, and we were very sleep deprived just in general. It was along a couple of seasons. But anyway, and then when we kind of just figured out, I don't even know what the what they like figuring out moment was. But then I think it really unlocked a lot of stuff, and it really like you were always great, we just weren't giving you like enough to do. I think it was I'm sure you. I'm sure you humbly didn't feel that way. You're like, no, no, I'm just here to support. But no, you you Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, no, I'm dog shit, I'm dog shit. I need to figure out.
Speaker 4: That's what I know. I said support, but I met dog shit.
Speaker 1: You didn't have. I appreciate that. Man, you're being kind and you're definitely being kind.
Speaker 4: But like with this episode, I vividly remember. I mean his vivid is again, you can remember anything when you've been sleeping eight minutes a night, like on the couch in someone else's office. But uh, we were beating out the story and Nick was going to be pranking Schmidt and it was like he's really good at and I was pitching out for Liz and she's and I was like, Nick's really good at pranks, and and she's like, what's Winston. What's Winston's take on the pranks? And I had nothing. I'm like, well, he's really bad at pranks. And she like gave me like a Liz eye roll and yet that became I feel like one of the most through no credits for myself, just to you, one of the most like few through lines of like seven seasons. Was it like Winston's bad at pranks? Yeah? And just fun?
Speaker 1: It was. It was very fun. You know what I want you to hold that thought. Well, here's what I'm going to do for the folks at home. If you're just tuning in, I'm going to give you a quick recap of this episode, and then I do want to dive right back into what you're talking about, because I don't think I don't think a lot of people know the origin of that.
Speaker 4: And you feel like people when I just start talking about pranks in an episode from eleven years ago, you don't think people immediately know what I'm referring to that it needs a recap.
Speaker 1: I don't think they do.
Speaker 4: I'll just run this No, no, no, no, I I love it, Please do.
Speaker 1: But I do want to jump into this recap. So neighbors, we're talking neighbors.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Jess has reverted to a pre professional life. You know, she used to be a respected teacher an educator of the youth, but now she just links casseroles during the day and watches TGIF every night that Jess. Unfortunately, some millennials they move down the hall right. They embrace Justic's regression, which causes Schmidt to lose his mind a little bit. Now why would they love the cast all over? The successful and handsome Schmidt. Meanwhile, Winston, he reconsiders his path after a test tells him that he will live to be sixty seven years old. He at least wants a job that means something, you know. He whips out this amazing speech and demands his own show and the title of producer. Now our man has his own two am show, which is fantastic. It's primetime for truckers. Schmidt perceives the neighbor's rejection as an indication that he is an old person. Nick exacerbates this fear by pulling insane pranks on Schmidt. He removes a small portion of his shoes, he steals the stuffing out of his favorite chair, and pretends schmidt hearing is gone. Jess tries to warn Schmidt that the kids they don't like him, but he's persistent when he's trying to gain their respect and actually begs Jess for help. Then he ignores all of her suggestions at the party just a cool, low budget web series. Family Matters wins over the neighbors, but when she learns that their parents still do their laundry and they're all still aimless, she comes to her senses and decides to grow upt. Schmidt learns the kids don't think he's old. They just think he's an ass hat, which I'm still trying to figure out what that is. But that title is perfectly acceptable for Schmidt, and that's what happened on episode two O four Neighbors Boom. Now let's jump right back into it. Let's start from the begetting. I do want to talk about the idea of the writer's room and the age gap between all the folks. We're the same age, so I'm imagining folks were in their early mid twenties, you know, maybe early thirties writing on the show, and then there are some folks you know, who are a little older. Was there ever that argument or was there ever that discussion about millennials versus you know, you and me and and all that bs that goes on in society.
Speaker 4: Sure? Yeah, I mean I was on the older side, I suppose, and I like was kind of but I had spent so much of my life doing basically what the neighbors across the hall were doing, not like you know, hula hooping and eating artichokes, but just kind of drifting through life, and you know, uh, just a staggering amount of my like you know, twenties unemployed. So I like, really, even though I'm unbelievably old and don't know what's going on in the world, in that sense I did, there is like a fundamental truth to like, oh yeah, when you're that age, you kind of just hang out. I don't remember getting into a lot of like fights about like no, it would be this way be because I think once we decided like, oh, they're gonna be fooled by Jess's like pretending TV show catchphrases are her like sort of all realism goes out the window, and it's kind of just like, well, here's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Right because I love these I love I you know, I remember watching that episode and kind of going back into my own TV vault in my head going, damn alf some strangers, bro, Like these shows were, uh, these shows are what we grew up on. That's that's all that we had, you know, what I mean, tgif was our shit.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I feel like and I feel like, watch if someone were to watch it now, they would probably it would be as if we're like, you know, she's quoting like the Ed Sullivan Show or like a radio show from nineteen twenty, they're like, what are you talking to? Who? Like? It just feels like it must feel so like archaeological. Yeah to today's eve.
Speaker 1: When you look at just the boity of it, it was it was dog shit.
Speaker 4: It was that. Yeah, it was not.
Speaker 1: Great, but we love it just the same.
Speaker 4: It was on and we loved it. That's all. It's. That's all it took. Back then, you're like, it's there's a box in my house and there's people on it, and I get and I get to watch it till my parents say go to bed, and that's like, really all it took.
Speaker 1: So we are let's let's let's plow through this episode for a second.
Speaker 4: That's the best way to get through this one.
Speaker 1: It's flowing, no, because you know on normally, so what happens on these you know we're doing these. We're doing this season a little bit different than we did the first season. First season, you know, we would just do a Q and A and just you know, talk about stuff with you from the fans, and at this one, we want you, you know, as a creator to kind of help us break down this episode a little bit. And when we walk through it, who came up? We just talk about, you know, some of the specific minutia and the details of the show. So we've got we started off with just sitting on the couch, she can't find a job, and then we go into you know, you know the pranks you were talking about this earlier. Winston is someone who and even until this day, people walk up to me all the time and talk about fucking pranks. But I'm watching this and I'm reminded that I'm not one hundred percent sure I was the og prank Sinatra because it was a it was a duo. It was it was Nick and Winston when they were kids, and Winston was actually really bad at it. But it feels like Nick is like he's fucking fantastic at it. When you watch this episode, it.
Speaker 4: Feels like this was unintentionally. It was as if we decided we can only have one prank person on this show, and this was sort of like a like backdoor audition to like, who is more enjoyable to watch pranking Nick taking it really seriously and being like sort of diabolically good at it, or is it Winston also taking it very seriously but being completely OUTA yeah, completely on Mars and clearly it was the ladder you it was so much. You know, it's way it's almost always more fun to see someone be bad at something than good at something. I think that's sort of the one of the basic tenets of New Girl and all television I enjoy and life really absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what I found to be funny is that the the tag on this when Winston and we allude to it when they're kids, when he was talking about hitting his teaching with a ski, Like in the moment, I'm like watching it, going like that, shit's funny, It's really funny. And then now as I watch it again, I go, did I hit my roommate with eski? What is this?
Speaker 4: Crazy?
Speaker 1: Crazy? This is this loft?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think, you know, similar to like how we don't really know you know, was Tay Diggs Okay they left him unconscious in that elevator that coming he said, It's like everyone's fine. Yeah, you know, It's just it's like it's got kind of a you know, Looney Tunes quality where fall off a cliff and with a rocket up your butt and you're fine, oh yeah, next the next cartoon.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So we're sitting down at the table and Winston is reading it with's the actuary? Is it an actuary table?
Speaker 4: An actuarial table?
Speaker 1: At actuary table? Are those real stats? It's you know, Winston African? What does this African American mid live? They have a life expectancy? Was sixty seven years old? Was that a real thing?
Speaker 4: I having not watched the show in this episode in quite some time, and I rewatched it, like, you know, to so I could stumble through a few words for this podcast, I like let out like an audible gasp where I'm like, Jesus, that's not very like I'm I'm like sixty seven next year. But I have to believe that that. I don't know why we would have done that if it wasn't like true, yeah, true, at least for a certain you know, slice of that demographic.
Speaker 1: But yeah, because that freaked me out.
Speaker 4: That freaking me out? No, yeah, same back.
Speaker 1: Then, I think when we filmed this episode, I was twenty seven, twenty eight. I think I was twenty maybe, and so now now being almost forty year old, man, I'm like looking at that clock, you knowing, have these stats changed?
Speaker 4: What am I?
Speaker 1: What am I doing?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Am I drinking too much coffee? Am I drinking too much? In general? You know? To try to share this out. So when we when we moved through this episode, we also we realized that Schmidt, actually let's go back. Let's just talk about the neighbors. That's the name of this episode. Let's talk about the neighbors. Chaz, Fife, Sutton, and Breery. I know in life, I think I know, really I don't know personally Fife dog, you know, tryp call questions. Oh sure, I think that's it. Chazz, I don't see those. Chas Dean, Yeah, but I don't know a Sudden or a Breery. Are these personal names that you guys knew?
Speaker 4: I just I think this was this was the episode where I this was a delightful job. I really loved it. There's also was a lot you're just we're just there a lot, and you kind of started doing things to sort of make it a little more like a game for you. And this is kind of when I was like, I'm going to try to just sneak as many insane names onto this show as possible. Yeah, and like sort of low level infuriate Liz. So it's kind of I think I was sort of like easing into it with these four names. Also, any turds. I really started wanting to the word any turds in episodes, and then this was the first one of those, I think, And it shows up a few times.
Speaker 1: And what does that mean?
Speaker 4: You like any turds? Like anyway, it's.
Speaker 1: You know, hilarious.
Speaker 4: Important. The important thing is, in true New Girl fashion, your story where you're truly worried about something very serious, which is like your mortality and uh and then and and how you can you know, find uh peace and joy in life and live longer? Is like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but here's we'll deal with that, and we'll do with that in the scene. So we'll cut some scenes and then you'll be there. It'll be great. But what's important is, uh, is the names of these fuckers.
Speaker 1: No, it works because it definitely plays it to who these characters are for sure, and the idea that Schmidt wants to to be friends with him and uh and can't be you know, so they go over there just decides to bring a castle role which I which which I think is stupid somebody's party. Well it works in the episode, you know.
Speaker 4: Well, I gotta say, like, this is really making me sound like I put no work in on this episode, which is which in some ways it's true. In some ways, no one's ever talking about anything than we did on these episodes, not to like great effect frequently, but the name of my Wi Fi network was the Castle Role Shanty at Home because I just thought that would be quote funny, uh if, like my neighbors in my building were like, is there a cast role restaurant like nearby? Like really just so that had just been and so that's pretty good. So they just needs a job, and I'm like, well, this seems like a shitty place to work. What if she worked at this this like nautical theme to castleball places, that's pretty good. That's a pretty good one. But I agree bringing it to the party.
Speaker 1: Was you know, but what would you bring? What would you bring to a stranger's house? I mean I would just bring whiskey, which is what yeah.
Speaker 4: Or I just would not go I think what you and Nick did what what? What? What you do when you guys show up? Is about I'd be like, oh right, I can't, this is crazy, but yeah I would bring you know, yeah booze, a really elaborate flower arrangement.
Speaker 1: Would you really no, Like it's like a maybe it's a funeral, it's a funeral house party.
Speaker 4: Sure, some sort of some some sort of you know, incredibly delicate pet that they would have to like take care of for years and years.
Speaker 1: I knew a guy who did that. He try this dog off once and never came back. And I would hear the stories about it all the time, like because I knew the guy and he literally asked someone in the house sit and and then I heard years later, you know he never picked that dog up. I was like, what anyway, I digress.
Speaker 4: That's uh, well, did they learn to love the dog as there are? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah fell in love with that dog? It hit my train, he didn't. That's that story was entirely made up. My mom used to always tell me my mom would come to my house and she would visit me, and my house is filled with alcohol. But it's not that I drink a lot. It's just that I would have parties and people would you know, or even just invite people that people just come by and it always bring something and it was always alcohol. Where every time you would get a gift bag, it was always alcohol and so and I would always bring alcohol. So my mom would be over, hey, I got to go to this thing. I gotta go stop good bottle of something and then and then I'll take someone's house. And for the longest time, my mom was concerned that I had a drinking problem, sure, because of all the alcohol that riddled my apartment. In my house.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I know you're in you're you're out of town right now, but I've not seen any alcohol behind you.
Speaker 1: And you look around that corner right there, right okay, and that little dugout can't get my hair in that little corner right there, tons of bullet bourbon.
Speaker 4: All right, you're ready, you're ready, You're ready to go.
Speaker 1: Another thing I found interesting about this was that as much they hate Schmidt, they definitely spent the night at their apartment. And I didn't realize that until he walked back in wearing the same clothes, and until now it's like, did they did they spend the night across the hall. Were they just party till that early in the morning.
Speaker 4: I think they were supposed to be partying. But yeah, it is a weird because there's one place here the least likely to stay over. It's probably across the hall from your own apartment, because yeah, there's like no the barrier to entry of getting home is couldn't be easier. You're like, I have to get up and walk eight feet, But yeah, I don't know. It's not an air tight story. I'll just get that out right now. There may be some holes here and there. One of the as many, especially the earlier episodes of New Girl, we had a real just opus of a story that, once filmed, was an hour and a half long and then had to be cut down to twenty minutes. So there's like, you know, massive kind of like holes where if I'm there to watch it with you, I can be like, well, see, this would make more sense if you knew that blah blah blah happened if we had to cut it for time. But since I can only do that, you know a couple thousand times a year where I watched this episode with people, There's a lot of people out there who just aren't you know, probably getting it, but you know it's.
Speaker 1: Been well, you know, I didn't, I didn't notice any holes. I thought that. I just thought that was a very interesting fact.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: One thing that I thought was cool about it were the the I guess, the the parallels between Winston being inspired by Nick's drive, which is very random in his ambition, and then Schmidt needing help from Jess to be cool. That's kind of like a complete swap of Now was that intentional or we just happened to find ourselves in this place?
Speaker 4: I think so, because we've sort of done the opposite of fair amount. It seems well that you know that where Jess is the is the like motivator and the like come on, guys, let's do this, and that like Nick is the the anchor, and the Winston is generally like very enthusiastic and kind of the initiator. And so I think it was kind of like a again, this is all the fog of insomnia has robbed me of a lot of these details. But oh yeah, but I definitely I'm just gonna say, sure, that's what we're totally intentional and a plus execution. I thought it really worked.
Speaker 1: I thought it definitely worked, especially when you watch the show. When you when you watch the show, there's a lot of things that happen in the show which sometimes I'll watch later and go was that intentional? Was that not intentional? If we find ourselves with just not having a job, but that's usually my thing, you know, and I the character swaps a lot of times. I think is pretty cool, especially when you go back and you watch it. Yeah, and when you go back and you go, oh my god, I didn't realize, for example, pranks was a nick thing, you know, and it's interesting to hear how we how we come to it being a Winston thing. Let's talk about let's go back a little bit. I do want to talk about you mentioned you mentioned your Wi Fi password the cashword. To me, that is a fantastic prank. Yes, k Are you yourself a prankster? Is that something that you that you do?
Speaker 4: I aspire to be, like I think if I could change, like I think I have the brain of a prankster, but not the like, uh, the follow through of it, Like I think. I think if there was if there was some sort of like service where I could just think of franks and then just then like hand them out to people who add the like follow through to go do them and to like and the sort of I'm very conflict averse, so the idea of like doing something that someone maybe gets mad about is horrifying to me. Or I can't keep a straight face, so I'd be like laughing at me. Like so there's a lot of I have a lot of qualities that would make me a bad branker. But yeah, so I think I think I could. I could maybe conceive of a few. But like that's you know, that's the easiest part. It's it's the going in doing that really matters. And I'm not that's the no.
Speaker 1: One spending twelve hundred bucks on pranks. I'm not sawing down someone's shoe.
Speaker 4: And yes, yes.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go and sell some diapers. But when we come back, we are with Berkeley Johnson Well Shoes, and we are back Berkeley. There's something that there's a segment on our show that Hannah Simone is usually in charge of. And I'm not sure if you've noticed, it's just you and I here today. It's just it's just bros. Would our dicks out, just talking and drinking.
Speaker 4: I just assumed Zoe and Hannah are going to jump in when they had anything to add, and we weren't saying the perfect things, and that we just can say the perfect things. So there's no they're just applauding with their computers muted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they usually hold it together. But Zoe is off on her private jets somewhere, and I think Hannah's got a joy riding and cruising the friendly skies with her. So it's you and I today. But the segment that Hannah usually tackles is called Where's the bear? Yes, and we talk about that on this show all the time, In fact every episode. We don't know if that's a real thing. I don't think it's a real thing. Hannah swears it's a real thing. Is there a bear in every episode of is there a bear? Reference? Not talking about the bear that's on the refrigerator in that picture, not talking about that one. But what do you think is that a real thing?
Speaker 4: I would I don't know, but I would think And I say this with like true like love for the entire all the riders, everyone involved with the show. I have like the fond memories of everyone. But the thought that but we could for one hundred and forty whatever episodes, like do something as consistent as like, oh, there needs to be a bear in every episode, is like it should also be like oh there's you know, like we go to the moon in every episode. Like there's just no way that there's no way that a detail like that was paid attention to and followed through one consistently. I mean, we couldn't get much more important things than that, right, So I can't believe we were like at least the bears in there. But yeah, I would also love to be wrong. I would say there's probably more bears in more scenes of Noodle than there are in most shows that take place in a non bear environment.
Speaker 1: I do think. I think at some point it just happened to happen, happened to have happened. There's photos of bears on refrigerator, there's one in Winston's room. Nick likes the Chicago Bears. I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, Liz, as is well documented, loves bears, and I get it. Bears are very funny. There was someone in a the guy in a I'm gonna say a guy could have been, a lady could have been, it could have been or non non gendered. I don't know there was there was. Maybe it wasn't even a person. I assume it was a person in a bear costume at Liz and Alex's wedding, just wandering around.
Speaker 7: So that's the really Yeah, I don't remember that. Yeah, or was it you and you're just the uh So there's a real love of bears there, so it would make sense that there's I would love for them to be one in every episode and to be proven wrong.
Speaker 4: I just having been there and having been like a huge culprit of this myself. The idea that we had any sort of system in place to get everything, to get anything like right with any consistency, is not how it felt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't. I never thought it was a real thing. But for a long time you, I mean, there are quite a few, there are quite a few bare references. I just didn't know if it were every single episode. But I'm glad to hear from you that you felt that you guys couldn't have pulled it together. And maybe on drinking and partying you were doing in the writer's.
Speaker 4: Room, if only a lot of like two am, like what if Winston got a ceiling fan? Have we done.
Speaker 6: That a lot of stuff like that, which is it's it's a type of party and musing on you know, appliances you might acquire in a b story.
Speaker 1: My storyline is the idea that I feel like I'm going to die early and I want to have a job that I can feel good about, and so him working I think at the time he's like an assistant or something at the at the at the radio station. He wants to get his own show, and he goes in and he gives this very impassion to plea this beach. Which is one of my favorite things about the show was whenever I'm like a and enraged and passion monologue was written for me. They had so much fun doing it. Was this based on anything Has it ever happened to you before? Where you have to walk into a room and just let everybody know what time it was? Has it what happened? Have you seen it happen?
Speaker 4: I'm sure that it has, but I could certainly say it didn't like end with a good result. It wasn't like it. Then cut to me telling my roommates guess what they loved it. I got the job, but no, I think you know, you really sell it though. Yeah, you've got some great No, there's some great monologues throughout a later episode of mine. You have one of my favorite things that I can only take partial credit for because I remember Joe Wanger was helping me with it. But it's about when you look in the suggestion box of my life. You know what it says in there. It says good job and like and you know who put it there and me? You know how I know because I recognize my handwriting. But again it's not quite right, but so funny.
Speaker 1: Well still do I mean? You so you're you're responsible for and I'm not sure if you knew this. Well, I'm quite sure you knew this, the quotes that come out of this show, the things that fans post, the tiktoks about our show. Is there anything that stands out? Is there any line that you're most proud of or you could always say I wrote I wrote that shit, you know when you see fans blasting it all over the place, or is there anything that sticks out to you?
Speaker 4: It's hard. I mean, you'll be shocked to learn. I'm I'm a pretty light footprint on TikTok, so I'm not exactly sure what's you know.
Speaker 1: I watch your tiktoks?
Speaker 4: What's lighting up the boards out there? There are? And in coming on this podcast, I was like, I should probably think of one frickin memory to just be like, here's the one. Really, there's so many, and it's kind of like I was there for like all seven seasons, which though it felt much longer. So it's kind of like, you know, what's your favorite memory from like college and your master's program or wherever. It's like, there's just like so many, like so many, so much it's hard to like isolate one.
Speaker 1: Well, I could tell you from a you tell me what it is, and I'll agree with you. Well, I'm not going to tell you specifically, but I will tell you if you get on a TikTok. They are everywhere. I can't. I'm tagged in all these things. And what's interesting about it is that the fans, when they tag you in it, they the question is always the same, did you improvise that? Or did someone write that? And I could tell you a majority of the time it's written. Really improvise a lot on the show, but majority of the time the silliness and the madness. And I've always said this comes from which I think the greatest writers ever assembled, and I genuinely mean that, and and you are one of them, and you know, I just I like, extremely like extremely like its like happy to have been a part of something like that with people who because then you're part of certain things where it doesn't go quite the way you thought it was going to go. But you guys together, it's like it's it was brilliant, man. We got we got away with some really cool shit on this show. And you know, and you're a reason for that.
Speaker 4: Well thanks, I mean I am reading you're obviously a much bigger reason not to get into a reason measuring contest. But uh no, I it was an amazing group I mean of writers and there were a lot because people came, I mean, we were on for a long time. We made a lot of episodes and people came and went, and like every incarnation of the writers room was a really good group of people. And and you guys were the cast was amazing and like it was a very bumpy ride at times, but like so much of the end as all, it was I think really like and it's which the process too, It was it was a lot of fun, but but uh yeah, it definitely like it was a really special to be a part of. And I also like it was funny because when I was there, I was just like just enraged all the time about all the things we couldn't do, like uh and then when I you know, that was Fox and my next thing I worked on was in ABC, and I was like, I think I need to write the execsit Fox, like an apology letter for a bunch of things. I never said to them, but thought, because like we were doing whatever we wanted as long as we couldn't we couldn't mention like a name brand and you know whatever. But like otherwise they're like, we don't understand what you're doing. But like all right, sure we got to do some really for a network that comes like really really really weird stuff that that I found quite enjoyable, and that is not the case uh many places. Yeah, so yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Was in It was Uh did you have as much freedom on any show after that? What do you did? You compare it and go, man, we got away with Murder a New Girl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a little bit. I mean my next job was after that was Single Parents, which was kind of like a uh new Girl Extension and like so many of the same writers and stuff were involved and that was great, but it and also there were kids in it, like it was obviously a much more like family yeah, sort of like Angled show. But but yeah, the the execs on that were much like more interested in stuff that I'm less interested in as opposed to like the stuff that which and listen, i mean they're you know, they're running the world and I'm not, so I don't I'm not saying wrong. And then yeah, girls, I've ever was very I mean that was because I was like over Zoom, which is a whole different because it was you know, pandemic era and that was you know, a little that was kooky here. But it's also hard to get a feel for something. Not hard, but when you're used to doing twenty two episodes for like years and years, which is like such a you know you there's it's just you know what the thing is in a way that's like sometimes helpful sometimes kind of like soul crushing. But you in compared to like with so much of TV now, which is you know, eight episodes and you may not even be on set for the shoot, so you're just less kind of like, I guess, well, I guess you're less, you're less invested in less. It's harder for you to get angry at the execs verstay notice stuff because you're not even really sure what's happening. You're kind of just like, well, here you go, blast good luck maybe, Whereas like when it's when you're like, you know, on set and you're editing, you're you know, sitting in and editing, and you're right, you kind of just so much of your of your time and blood and sweat and stomach lining goes into something that then when they're like.
Speaker 1: Enact I got ulcers on the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that was one of again. I said, we don't. I said we were good about like setting goals and then like following through like with the Bears. But with that, we did get together and we were like, let's really make sure we every day we ask ourselves, are we giving them more ulcers?
Speaker 1: Three of them?
Speaker 4: Three? Oh three? Wow? See we we were just trying for two. So that's really yeah. I've got to make some calls after this and let everyone know what a great job we did. We really fucked them up.
Speaker 1: Welcome shoes.
Speaker 3: Now it's time to open up Schmidt's Sex Email Bag, a segment brought to you by Hulu where I answer.
Speaker 1: A fan question.
Speaker 3: My favorite thing to do. I love answering fan questions. Please keep sending them. I love it Anna all Caps. I'm a huge fan of New I love the relationship between Just and CC. It reminds me a lot of my relationship with my bestie. I love hearing you and Zoe on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Obviously, you guys became friends while on the show, and the connection was felt in the audition. But I was wondering if there was a moment when you realize Zoe would be a lifelong friend. For me, was when my besties told my ex off unprompted joways makes me feel safe. Thank you for reading this letter.
Speaker 4: Daniel G. Hawaii.
Speaker 3: Wow, what was the moment I knew? You know, it's funny, it's actually in that audition. In that audition, I'd just flown back from shooting a show with the beautiful Katrina balf who, as we all know from Outlander. This was before Outlander. We were shooting a show down in Chile, and I flew back straight to the audition. I still had sand in my hair from shooting this desert scene down there, sand in my hair and raced in and did not look all glam. I was supposed to look glam because I suppos playing this model character named Ceci. And I remember walking in to do the audition with Zoe and I made this joke or she made some compliment about you know, Chilean food, and I made a joke and she just laughed, like caught by surprise kind of laugh. It was so genuine and there's just that and she kind of looked at me. You know, that's that thing when you can make someone laugh, like truly laugh that doesn't even know you, that will to know that would make you laugh.
Speaker 4: And it's like.
Speaker 3: My humor, which was very dry, sardonic humor, and the fact that she got it and laughed, So I don't know, we just got each other in that moment, and that's like just true human chemistry where you're like, oh, you're going to be in my world. I'm keeping you in my world no matter what. And so it always was a little surreal that we got to play then best friends, knowing we would be really good friends, and then our best friendship grew over the you know, near decade that you work together and then have been sad ever since, and so we created this podcast so we could keep working together. Any excuse to see each other. Yeah, thanks for that question, that's so nice.
Speaker 1: I do have a question for you that there's a fan question, okay from Samantha Ship Samantha's Ship. She asks, was Adam Brodie's character on New Girl named after Berkeley Johnson. He played the role of Berkeley just as Boyfriend season three episode execs Uh was?
Speaker 4: I mean it wasn't named after me. I'm involved, like through no involvement of my own in a sense, where like as I said earlier, I was getting real into the like entertaining myself by just like giving characters like crazy names and trying to you know, just sort of sneak him out of the show. And sometimes if you're if your episode is next to is near another episode, you're kind of not involved with that other episode because you're so busy with your own stuff and they're so like, you know, they're going on production one after each other. I had very little to do with that episode, and I think they were like, oh, we'll call this guy Berkeley because that'll piss Liz off. Because bub blah, but you know whatever. And then Liz, in a very shrewd move she saw She's like, oh no, this is great. Leave this in. Fuck him, leave it Berkeley. And so I got a call or right I talked to it from that. They're like, we're so sorry we put your name in. We didn't think she was going to keep it. She's keeping it. And the next thing I knew it was it was in. But what is fun is like on the call and it's and my name is spelled strangely because my parents decided to make it hard for me, but they spelled it like that. So then on the call sheet, which I still have, it's like it says like Jess tells Berkeley she doesn't love him, and then it's like and then the next was like Berkeley cries and begs for Jess to come. I felt very involved.
Speaker 1: So they were fucking with you.
Speaker 4: Yes, tell is it Samantha Samantha Ship? That sounds like a name you made up because you wanted to ask this question, but I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't make that up. Samantha Ship is my assistant. Oh yeah, okay, she wanted to know. She's a huge fan.
Speaker 4: It is like, I wonder it is? Uh, it is? I am. I guess I was involved and I remember. This tells you like one zone kind of where like then Adam was on Single Parents and I was like, Oh, is it gonna be weird again? Is it gonna be weird to be like, hey, I'm Berkeley. He'd be like, wait, I played Berkeley, And like then, I'm like, this guy has no fucking memory that he like ever played someone in like who cares? He doesn't care. I wonder if yeah, I could have you know, I could be like, my name is your name from the O C And he'd be like, I don't really remember doing that.
Speaker 1: It's like where's my check?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: If you know Adam Broder, you know that's how he gets down. Actually I don't know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he loves checks.
Speaker 1: He's a well I would imagine, so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no credit cards checks.
Speaker 1: Only checks and money orders. We're gonna have into a segment in this show called Nick's Box.
Speaker 8: Okay, knicks Box is brought to you by Hyundai. When it comes to your journey, Hyundai is thinking of every mile.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to this segment where we crawl in the back of Nick's closet we put out the memories that the cast and crew of New Girl have kept hidden for years. So let me ask you a question, Berkeley, who was sleeping with who in the writer's room? You know, I'm s so kidding unless you want to anser that day Bred day. Yeah, Bred Dave a regular old Burdon Ernie, you know, shout out to Bretton Dave. What are some of you know, we talked about this a little bit ago, fond memories of the show. Is there anything that sticks out, any story, anything that you always wanted to get off your chest, anybody that you wanted to keep praise on or heep, you know, non praise on, anything you want to say about your time at Nuker.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's so many that are of course totally leaving my Swiss cheese brain as we speak. Just something I thought of the other day because amazingly it almost happened to me again, was that when this was an episode from season one, we were outside, it was freezing, there were all these heaters around. This was the one where like it was, Martin Starr was in it and Derman. It doesn't matter, but basically one of the actors had like asked me for some sort of thing and I'd given a note and I don't know something had happened and and now it was a guest cast member and she came up to me afterwards. Well we moved on to a different scene and the cameras rolling, and she was like, she was like, excuse me, excuse me, And I was like, I was like, no, it was great. You did great, Like just assume me in my own like again sleep deprived, but just ego. I was like, well, clearly she wants to tell me, like, hey, that was a great note, thank you so much. I really felt good, or even be like I didn't know, but I certainly thought it was going to be about like this note I'd just given that it unlocked her and it was like, you know, I'm going to thank you when I went an oscar and ten years or whatever. But I was like, also, there's an other tape going and she's like, I'm just sorry. I'm like, can we talk to it. She's like, I just want to let you know your entire arm is on fire, and I like, gone in my jacket was because I've been standing close to like one of these heaters. My jacket had caught on fire and whoa, And then in a rare moment of coolness, was like I was not not coolness, Like I was like I know, and then just like it out kind of like like like like this happens all the time in Hollywood. Your arm catch on fire. You just be cool. But I don't know why you're making a big ruckus. But then as soon as it was like cut, I like ran to the part we were shooting, like outside of Dodger statedium like, ran to the bathroom, took off my jacket. Was like okay, I'm okay. So that's not really like a Knicks Box memory so much. It's just something it came to me the other day.
Speaker 1: That is definitely a Knicks Box memory.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In fact, it might be. It might be the greatest one.
Speaker 4: It might this we may have ended the Knicks Box segments.
Speaker 1: That might have been the greatest one.
Speaker 8: Thanks for bringing out Nick's Box. Hyundai Remember from shopping to buying to owning, Hyundai has your back. Like our favorite memories, taking a Hyundai on your journey will keep you feeling safe and warm. Learn more at Hyundai USA dot com.
Speaker 1: I had to drop a deuce really bad in an episode and I was begging, like begging someone to like call cut so I could go to the bathroom and do so. It was bad. It was I forgot what I had salsa or something else. And people remind me of that often. Yeah, you almost you almost burned like Michael Jackson did in that Pepsi video. Yeah, and no one talked about this.
Speaker 4: That's that's the double edged sort of like you know, being a writer versus being talent, Like everyone knows what you're up to, what you're up to, good and bad. But that's we just kind of like, you know, slip slip quietly through the night, like you know, doing great stuff and people are like eh or like almost you know, bring alive and be like eh, it's it's uh.
Speaker 1: Well I can say, uh, I can say, and I can speak for myself, the rest of the cast and all the fans of New Girl out there, we are very, very appreciative of all the great stuff that you have brought to television, my friend into I think the greatest show of all time New Girl. I'm not just saying that because I'm on it, well mainly i am, but but I do want to say thank you man, thank you for being on the show. Thank you for humoring me even though my co hosts bailed on me and ditched me. But thank you, thank you for being a part of this man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you tell them that if if I'm not a big enough draw, yeah, that you will not tell them that you had this ship story. And then they wouldn't like because that was just for you and me, because they're not here and they missed it.
Speaker 1: They definitely missed it. They definitely missed it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love you, man, I love you so much. Thank you for being here.
Speaker 4: I love you man. It's great to see you have fun that you're in Calgary.
Speaker 1: Correct, I'm in Calgary. Yeah, all right, that's why I have this weird mustache.
Speaker 4: Ye I like it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Maya, thank.
Speaker 4: You very much.
Speaker 1: Okay, folks, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. Let's give a big round of applause to Berkeley Johnson for joining us today to help break down this episode. We truly do appreciate it. Now, make sure to go like and subscribe and also turn on your notifications and all that fun stuff. Send in your questions, comments and concerns. Go by our merchant. As always, make sure to treat each other with kindness and love. Peace.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Welcome to Our Show, a New Girl recap podcast. Welcome to Our Show is a production of iHeartRadio, hosted by Zoe Deschanel, Lamur And Morris and Hannah Simone. Our executive producer is Joel Mounique. Our engineer and editor is Daniel Goodman. The Welcome to Our Show theme song was written by Zoe Deschanel, performed and produced by Zoe da Chanel and Peter to Reader. Follow us on Instagram at Welcome to Our Show pot. If you have a question you'd like us to answer, you can email us at Welcome to Our Show Podcast at gmail dot com. Don't forget to rate, subscribe, and share far and wide.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: We'll hear you next week.