Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noel.
Speaker 1: They call me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Alexis code named Doc Holliday Jackson. Most importantly, you are here and that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know as we record today on Wednesday, June twenty First, there is a submersible in trouble. There are also some people in trouble in the world of the body part trade, and there are pre that you should not trust, which we know sounds a bit Shakespearean, but you'll see what we're what we're talking about. Maybe we start today with the with the thing that has increasingly taken the forefront of the zeitgeist here in the US. It's not the burgeoning geopolitical tensions. It's not the stuff we talked about with with Chia and Cuba. It's five people who went James Cameron style to explore the wreckage of the liner Titanic, which we talked about the Titanic in previous episodes.
Speaker 2: We did yeah, and there was Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean the biggest conspiracy of all is there was plenty of room on that door for Jack and Rose to survive.
Speaker 2: It's my hot take, but yeah, a tragedy, right, a massive, massive tragedy that lives in history books. For every student that goes through American public schools, You've likely learned about the titan You've likely seen the movie about it. It is still, let's say, a thing, an event in time that is a fascination for a lot of people, and specifically the wreckage of that site. When we think about James Cameron's obsession with it and all of the money and time he spent creating the technology to go down there in film a documentary years and years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are some controversial interviews with James Matt where it appears that our pal Heavy Jay is saying he made the Titanic film primarily to get the funding for his expedition down there.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine having that kind of agency. I'm going to make a blockbuster film so that I might build a submersible and go to the depths.
Speaker 3: Well, and just to have the foresight to know that it would be so massive. He always does, like I was so skeptical about these Avatar sequels twenty years removed from the original number one grossing movie of all time. I mean, the guy's got vision, if nothing else but an interesting obsession, don't you think. I mean, I guess it is fascinating. I think we're all fascinating with historical blunders, you know, of this magnitude, especially ones that are so high profile, the unsinkable ship and all of that. So it does make sense that it kind of remains as do you know, a large portion of the wreckage because it's so deep that it's not like they're going to dredge it up, you know, just that's just kind of where it is, so you kind of got to go to it.
Speaker 1: And people forget just how easy it is to lose things in the ocean. It's often said, unfortunately with a great deal of accuracy, that the human species knows more about the surface of the Moon than they do about the majority of Earth's surface, which is covered by water. The Titanic for anyone who somehow got through life without knowing about this, it is a big ass ocean liner. And on April fifteenth, nineteen twelve. It sank after colliding with an iceberg. That's the official story. Would love to hear your alternative narratives. It wasn't until nineteen eighty five that the wreckage of this stuff was discovered. Not quite in the middle of nowhere, not Pacific Ocean, middle of nowhere, you know, not like Point Nemo or whatever. But it's about seven hundred and forty clicks or four hundred nautical miles from the coast of Newfoundland, and it is deep, deep, deep on the ocean floor. Twelve thousand, five hundred feet. For anybody who likes a good sea shanty metric, that's little over two thousand fathoms, so it is fathoms deep. There's a group of people called ocean Gate. Ocean Gate is not a weird like Watergate reference. It does seem to be an unfortunate self prophesizing name. Ocean Gate operates out of Everett, Washington, and they provide submersibles, not submarines, submersibles for tourism, for research, for general exploration. It's very close to exploring near outer space when you get to this level of the depths.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean down to all the completely bizarre looking creatures that reside down there, you know, with all these insane adaptations. I mean, I know we haven't discovered life and outer space quite yet, but if we were, wouldn't be surprised if they had similar.
Speaker 1: Vibin Yeah, and as we've said in previous episodes on cryptozoology, if you are a human interested in undiscovered animals, then your highest likelihood of finding a large undiscovered animal is not on the surface of Earth. It is in those abysal depths. It is in that lou Cthulhu, their Catulhu territory. Excuse me, I don't speak Lovecraft natively, I hope not, Dear God right, different different franchise who could call our species. But so first, in twenty twenty one, this outfit Ocean Gate. It says, look, we have this submersible that we're really proud of, and we trust that it can take paying customers to visit the Titanic shipwreck, just like James Cameron. They say, all for the low low cost of two hundred and fifty thousand US dollars per person. Now that's a high barrier for a lot of people. You know, there are watches that are more expensive. There are houses that are less expensive. Either way, it's less than going than pretending to go to space for eleven minutes.
Speaker 3: I was about to say, yeah, it's definitely cheaper than that. True.
Speaker 1: And their mission is to make underwater exploration, let me get this right, more accessible to private citizens. And there are a lot of echoes and parallels to the missions of private space exploration ventures like SpaceX or Blue Origin. Recently, quite recently, as we record, disaster struck on June eighteenth, just a few days ago, and we're recording on the twenty first of June, one of their submersibles went missing about two hours after it was supposed to take an eight hour trip down and up to visit to have a let me put this correctly, to have a one in five chance of successfully seeing the wreckage of the Titanic. Other expeditions had occurred, and they're called expeditions by Ocean Gate. And I think for a lot of the passengers, many of whom are famous, many of whom are people of note, I think it was startling for them to realize the sheer, vastness of the ocean, the idea that something as large as the Titanic could be a needle in a haystack. You know, you get down to the ocean floor and you're thinking, we're somewhere near here, right, We're somewhere near what we want to see. Let's use our Logitech off brand Xbox controller to try to find the most famous shipwreck in modern history.
Speaker 3: So is there there's no way to use like radar or like to like search for something of that magnetic I understand the issue of scale, but you think, if you're paying that much, you damn sure we want to be guaranteed a glimpse of the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I I feel like there would be some kind of transponder or some kind of powerful thing that was left in the wreckage after somebody like James Cameron go down there. You know, But how in the heck do you do that? How do you transport that, get it all the way to that depth and leave it in a strategic place and ensure that it stays there? Like the mechanics that would be really simple if you were on the surface, right, if you were going to go leave a transponder somewhere at a location. But when you got to go that far in those pressures, I imagine that's really really difficult.
Speaker 1: Especially considering the surface of the ocean is itself fluid, right like the okay, difference between a submarine and a submersible, a craft that we will call a submarine can operate independently. As you hear this strange new segment everything we're talking about from Stem distern today, you need to realize you are in a world where there are a not insignificant number of what we call nuclear submarines that just sort of ghost around the world. And the whole reason that nuclear deterrence matt mutually assured destruction works is essentially because no one knows where those subs are, but they know they have nuclear warheads. It is tough to find stuff here, right, So this thing obviously self limits to people who people are doing well financially. So every time you have a dive or an expedition, again as ocean Gate likes to call it, you have a pilot, you have a guide they work for ocean Gate or work with ocean Gate, and then you have three paying passengers and they're called mission specialists. It's similar nomenclature to what you would hear in the world is space exploration. So it takes three hours to get to the Titanic the wreckage. If everything goes well, the full dive again takes about eight hours, and there are some safety safety protocols in place. There's supposed to be a ping scent ping every fifteen minutes to be monitored by the above water crew because this is not a submarine. It is a submersible, which means it needs something on the surface of the ocean like old school bathispheres. It needs something on the surface of the ocean to function as mission control, just like our Palpaul.
Speaker 3: But it's not tethered like physically like those old like diving suits right, Like, this is all electronic communications right.
Speaker 2: Kind of makes you wish it was tethered right.
Speaker 3: After this, it's sort of like wrapping the rope around your you know, ankle before you go into the ghost abyss, you know, I mean.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Unfortunately, the depths that we are talking about here are with current technology, it's impossible to build a really effective tether such that you could just pull on the rope and bring people back to the human world.
Speaker 2: I called bulls. Wrap a rope around that thing like a.
Speaker 3: Good rope, leave a breadcrumb trail as well. That we talked about. We talked about this off air. I forget the guy's name now and I'm so sorry, but you can probably google this. They're a former showrunner for The Simpsons actually got into a scrape in one of these quite a few years back. So this is not like a brand new proposition.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: He actually told The New York Post in a recent article, because these people are kind of coming after him, now, get his perspective on this thing about how his craft got stuck in the mud and the driver using Essentially, if you look at the inside of these, it's like a little joystick, you know. I think there's like maybe three people can fit in one of these, and they're wedged against the sides of this you know, curved you know, fuselage kind of deal, and they had to kind of wiggle back and forth and got out of there. And he talks about how like his last and is what he thought were his dying moments. He whipped out his handy dandy comedy journal and wrote some jokes about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's Mike Rice. Yes, a former a writer, former showrunner for the Simpsons. He was down there with the five people that can fit and that's submersible, and it looks like when you look inside you can see photos and video of the interior of the titan craft. It is not It is not a five star hotel by any means. It's a tube that can again fit five people, two of whom are Stafford crew, three of whom are passengers. It has one porthole. It has a couple of monitors, three monitors. It has this again, this Logitech. It is literally a Logitech off brand video game controller that will help it navigate the seafloor. It cannot be opened from the outside. It does not have escape pods or anything of that nature. The reason that we opened with saying the oxygen becomes the main concern here is that, according to the most optimistic calculations, a craft like this, a subversible like this, will have around ninety six hours of breathable oxygen four or five people. Again, that feels like a lot of redundancy, right when we're talking about an eight hour tour, an eight hour tour. Shout out to Gilligan's Island inappropriately.
Speaker 3: Oh that you do a Gilligan's Island reboot where it's a submarine. They find some sort of Atlantis type civilization. That'd be fun.
Speaker 1: And so as we're recording, these folks have about fifteen at best fifteen or so hours of oxygen, which means by the time this comes out on Monday, then they will be found hopefully or they will be lost. And again, the ocean is another part of nature. It is hungry, It eats things. What we want to talk about here, what we need to highlight here is that it sounds like they were quite possibly alive as far as the most recent updates. We talked about this a bit off air. There were banging, clanging sounds coming every thirty minutes in an attempt ostensibly to show their location, which I think there are three scenarios right now that are most possible. And I think this lends a lot of credence to the idea that they got stuck somewhere in the muck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like with the Simpsons guy. But I guess they weren't able to wiggle their way out of it. Just man, doesn't this seem patently unsafe? Just the whole thing. Like another thing I read in one in the post article about mister Rice is like, yeah, was that yeah? In the waiver that he had to sign the word death appears about three or four times, right, Yeah, indemnification or whatever like it is definitely on the table death. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well it's a massive risk. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: It's a thrill seeker type deal is what it is. It's like, you know, jumping out of a plane. But even I think more dangerous.
Speaker 2: But anyway, all I'm saying is it doesn't matter how advanced the technology is. Right, of course, going down there is going to be crazy dangerous. I'm just surprised there wasn't some form of I don't know what you would call it, right, something that would ping, but on a wider scale, sure, right, that was on board.
Speaker 1: Some sort of automated black box, some sort of automated dead hand surfacing system that would have been That would have been ideal. Shout out to Mike by the way, because he went on three different dives or again expeditions with this company and he said they quote almost always lost communication. I'm pulling this from a great independent article by Tom Murray which came out about twelve hours ago when there was much more oxygen on the craft. When we look at this, we have to be again intellectually honest, even if the truth is ugly. The company has a record of being called to account for what opponents would call cutting corners. For instance, there were several safety complaints for a while. You can find no shortage of maritime veterans from a bunch of different US services and non US services who are pointed out there was a lack of redundancy, of safety redundancy here. In short, it seems as though they were not treating the deep ocean the way you would treat outer space. Again, as we record this, and in the time interval between when we record and when this publishes, it is hopefully possible, or it is hopeful, that these five people will return safely alive to the surface. However, I'm going to go just a second long here to point out the three possible scenarios and one interesting thing. The three possible scenarios. One, the safety preparations as we understand them could have failed. The integrity of the craft could have been compromised, in which case those people are almost certainly lost in Davy Jones locker. Second, the craft could be stuck, as noted in earlier expeditions. Third, they could be alive and simply lost. Get this somewhere on the surface of the ocean and extensive air searches may have somehow just not found them yet. That would be the most optimistic of the three possibilities. Already we see the proliferation of conspiracy theories associated with this what looks to be a tragedy, and one of them is I mean many of them honestly concerned the passengers on this on this craft. We know a little bit about them. Obviously they're well to do. One is Silliman Daoud who is the son of Shahzada Daoud Uh. These are British Pakistan. There's a British Pakistani father and son. Shahzada da Wud is a trustee at the SETI Institute. Hamish Harding is a British businessman, aviator and space tourist. And then we have the pilots, the pilot team, Paul Henri Nagere and Stockton Rush. Stockton Rush is the chief executive and founder of Oceangate, the folks who launched this idea in the first place. Our thoughts are with them. We want to hear your thoughts as well. Again, this is an ongoing situation. By the time you hear this week's strange news segment, the oxygen will have run out on the submersible. We're going to pause for a word from our sponsors. We'll return with more strange news before we head to a commercial break. We wanted to give you this update. Between the time we recorded and the time this Strange news segment published, authorities have confirmed that the Titan submersible imploded during its descent into the North Atlantic Ocean. Additionally, debris of the craft appears to have been found. The most likely outcome here was the instantaneous death of all five occupants aboard, including the leader of Ocean Gate himself.
Speaker 2: Okay, and we are back. We should just reiterate our thoughts and prayers are with the people on that submersible in their families. Just again. We talked a little bit in the break there just about the situation, and I just send it out on our thoughts. So I wanted to ask you guys for something completely different. Did you hear anything about a potential UAP dog fight that occurred recently in early June?
Speaker 1: I have not met no.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I don't have enough on this to cover it today in the episode. But look up, what is this place called bad Acts? Bad acts ax AX. And there was something that occurred on June third that the NUFO RC reported on and I thought, Ben, specifically, you might know about this because of a project you're working on that I we're not gonna name yet, but very interesting. Apparently there were two F sixteen's that engaged in a dogfight with some kind of disc at least according to witness reports. And it looks really interesting. If anybody has any more info on that, please send it our way. Conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm seeing this now, Matt, thank you for hitping me to this. Looks like original sources the hero hero on Daily Tribune.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing that, but also a June sixth report that came from that n uforc that happened. And then there's also something that was written in I guess it's called My Journal Courier. I don't know. I thought it was maybe an AP article or something, but it was written by Mark Birdsol.
Speaker 1: Well, let's figure this out before student loans come due in October. Triggery that great recession, just going to slide that one in there. It's happening.
Speaker 2: Oh, maybe the UAP can help us, help us up with our student loan debt. All right, but but for now, put all that stuff aside, because guys, I'm gonna need you to confess some sins today.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a priest and I've been hired by iHeart Radio to have all the employees of iHeart Radio to confess their sins.
Speaker 3: I read. Do you do parties, Matt, You show up like in your priest garb and go around absolving people?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, we go.
Speaker 3: No, I don't No, that might be a fun spin, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm just joking. I'm completely joking. But it's a joke about the story that we're gonna cover today. I'm gonna read something to you, I guess. It's a press release that was written by the US Department of Labor's Wage in Hour Division. It was written on June twelfth, twenty twenty three. This is the first sentence quote Federal wage and our investigators have seen corrupt employers try all kinds of scams to short change workers and to intimidate or retaliate against employees. But a Northern California restaurant's attempt to use an alleged priest to get employees to admit workplace quote sins maybe among the most shameless.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's real Department of Labor too. You can tell because they don't use any commas. They really didn't use this, Like Matt, that's the real that's Uncle Sam say that there there's wait, there's a restaurant in California doing psyops leveraging Catholicism.
Speaker 3: What a time? Yes, what a time?
Speaker 2: So so nuts you guys. Within our doc there you can see a Google link where you can see where this is. It's in Sacramento, California. Shout out to more Broccoli who always calls us from there. The place is called Takorea. Garibaldi. I think that's how you would say it. I think it's Jeribaldi Jeribaldi.
Speaker 3: I think so this is with A er and ar G A R I B A L D I Garibaldi. You get it. Yeah, I'm probably like americanizing it, but I think it might be either jar or Garibaldi.
Speaker 1: I think people will be able to find it with the information we've provided.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just just type in fake priest, just spy.
Speaker 3: Hey, come on, you'll get it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is what happened the company that owns this Takaia and two others with the same name Ja Garibaldi, Inc. It's alleged that this group or person whoever it is, whatever it is, whatever that i NC represents, hired a person identified as a priest to get the sins out of employees during work hours. So imagine you're at work and there's a priest just roaming around saying, oh hello, could I speak with you for a moment, and tries to take you away just to the corner of the room in this case of the Tacorea and ask you some really strange questions. Have you ever stolen anything from the establishment, from Chay or the Tacorea. Have you ever been late to work? Do you have any ill will towards our employer or the Tacorea itself?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and these these people may be sincere, and these you know, confess your sins my child, Well, I have coveted and resent the success of others. They're like, Okay, let's talk about how how much of your tips you report.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about the tips you report. And let's also talk about maybe somebody else you've been talking to about grievances you have with the Tacorea and the company because guys, the Tacorea, it's alleged was paying management from the tip pool. We talked about this, you know a little bit when we were talking about tips. The servers, people working there in the front of the house often pool tips to where everybody makes money. When when the company basically is making money when people are being sat, when people are eating food and having drinks. Sure distributes it, redistributes to everybody, even tips. Well, you're not allowed to pay management with that tip pool, but this company was allegedly doing that. They were also allegedly not paying employees who were working overtime hours. So there were multiple employees that were working over forty hours a week who needed to be paid overtime wages for that time, and the company was not paying them for that.
Speaker 3: There's an episode of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares that's one of the most infamous episodes about the I Think Amy's Baking Company. That's this woman who just goes is completely out of touch with reality and loses her mind right there on camera because she thinks everyone is like a sabotaging her and attacking her. But it's revealed that she and her husband, who owned the restaurants together are are taking tips from customers and pocketing them rather than give them to their their staff, who, of course the customers believe those tips are going to.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just so grossh Yeah, it's not a good practice, right. So it seems as though someone within the organization, probably an employee that was feeling slighted because of those practices, ended up making a report about the company about these things, you know, alleging the company is doing this. And it appears that this tactic of sending in a priest is a retaliation, a way to root out the employees who have been maybe speaking in their opinion out of turn about the restaurant's activities. Here's here's the other thing, guys. The company also retaliated allegedly by threatening their employees with quote adverse immigration consequences if they cooperated with the Department of Labor's investigation into the company. Oh because somebody, because somebody snitched on the.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's an escallation. Man. Also, I do want to point out that no joke left behind on our recording. Today. You have changed your your moniker to father snitch a lot, which I am then.
Speaker 2: Father snitch a lot.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is egregious on so many levels, you know, just like, first of it's like a general workplace privacy violation level, and just not to mention that they were absolutely taking advantage of these folks, but then to besmirch the name of a man of the cloth in this way heresy, I say.
Speaker 2: Well, the Diocese of Sacramento was not too happy about it, and you can read their response to this whole thing on the Catholic News Agency.
Speaker 3: Do they use the word heresy?
Speaker 2: I hope so well. I mean they've got some strong words. It's just like, hey, we are not connected with whoever this joker was. It's not us. We have nothing to do with this. We didn't do we doism.
Speaker 1: Famously concerned about it's branding. Uh but that in that case then okay, that's one of the questions a lot of us are going to have listening this evening. Uh So, this apparently, per the diocese over there in Sacramento, this is not an acknowledged member of the clergy.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely. I'll give you a little quote here from that article. It is titled California restaurant had fake priest here workers' confessions Labor Department says it is from the Catholicnewsagency dot Com. There's no d in there, so Catholicnewsagency dot Com. Here's the quote. While we don't know who the person in question was, we are completely confident he was not a priest of the Diocese of Sacramento.
Speaker 3: I think he's gonna get it.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, And I'm going to read a little more from this actually because this is compelling. This is a quote from someone named Maria who is a server at the Takaria, and this is from her sworn affid David that's attached to the lawsuit that the Department of Labor has against this company, and she's talking about speaking with this person purporting to be a priest. She says, quote, I found the conversation to be strange and unlike normal confessions. Again, they're targeting somebody and probably several people who are used to going to confession, right, maybe Catholic civilians. She continues, quote, He asked if I ever got pulled over for speeding, if I drank alcohol, or if I had stolen anything. The priest mostly had work related questions, which I thought was strange.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, little less eternal soul, little more secular.
Speaker 3: It's pretty crazy, right, and heaven depends on your workplace conducts.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Well, hey, guys, so there is this federal investigation and the reason why we're talking about it today is because the findings were just released and basically the penalties the Takaria has to pay five thousand dollars in penalties for their actions of hiring a fake purpose total total five thousand dollars in penalties, which is just a basically a civil charge for being naughty and hiring a fake priest and you know, basically intimidating workers. But here's the better thing for the workers. There are thirty five employees who were affected by the other practices there, and including the fake priest thing, but you know the other stuff too, right, the problems that were occurring there. They are going to get a combined total of one hundred and forty thousand dollars split amongst.
Speaker 1: Kay, just make clapping and clapping for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, it's it's at least something, you know, it's not a crazy amount of money, but it's enough to hopefully make up for that missed overtime for the missed. It's their money, you know, right, exactly exactly, So, guys, I don't have much else for this one. Besides, this is nuts.
Speaker 1: I got I've got one thing for you, Matt. I looked up the menu. Right, this is a chain restaurant, right, regional chain restaurant. There's I think there are at least three at least three locations. So, uh, you know, the test here is to check on the case adella prices and one case idea dekat a like for two dollars and twenty five cents. Doesn't seem right. It doesn't seem right to me.
Speaker 3: Wait, he was suspiciously deliciously low. Yeah, so likely not using fresh ingredients.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they're not using real priest, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: You have a faux priests. Probably a lot like one of those. Uh, I mean, don't get me wrong, I kind of like them. Thost. Have you've ever been a cookout? They have a quote unquote casadea there it's literally just shredded cheese and hot sauce on a on a tortilla.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm just hungry enough right now where that sounds delicious?
Speaker 1: You want to take a snack break.
Speaker 2: Oh please, God, please, all right, I am really angry.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'll give the Department of Labor the last word here quote the US Department of Labor, in its Solicitor's office will not tolerate workplace retaliation and will act swiftly to make clear that immigration status has no bearing on workers' rights under the Fair Labor and Standards Act.
Speaker 3: Okay, tough words, right, let's go. Yeah, kind of hope that the archdiocese's words were a little bit more cutting.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you want to hear you want to hear some Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think yeah.
Speaker 2: They're quoted as saying shame on you, fake priest.
Speaker 3: I call it fake priest.
Speaker 2: All right, that's it for now. We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor.
Speaker 3: And we've returned with one more p of strange news. Matt, If that last story made you angary, way do you get a load of this one? Okay, that's a very morbid setup for a very sad and morbid story about a person similar to years, though in some ways it's about a person occupying position of trust and authority absolutely bulldozing over that responsibility in the most egregious way possible. Harvard Medical School. You know, yes, you hear that. You think of one of the top Ivy League institutions of higher learning, you don't necessarily think about creepy morga managers selling body parts to oddity shops, do you No, No, That's exactly what was found out here. Federal prosecutors alleged that the manager of the Harvard Medical School Morgue was part of a network that bought and sold remains from the medical school and an Arkansas mortuary. So I guess they have maybe like a satellite mortuary. I'm not quite sure to get to that in a second. This is wild. This guy, Cedric Lodge fifty five and his wife, Denise Lodge, sixty three, of Goffstown, New Hampshire, and several others are being indicted by a federal grand jury in Pennsylvania on charges of conspiracy an interstate transport of stolen goods. Again, what manner of stolen goods, you might ask, Well, let's see, we're talking human remains stolen from Harvard Medical School and a mortuary in Little Rock, Arkansas, where miss Scott was employed. So it seems like they've got you know, they must have, They've got that in common, this is a happy couple that met over their love of cadavers. Harvard Medical School, speaking of angry condemnation of people betraying the trust of the public, Harvard Medical School released a statement referring to this in the most academic fashion possible as an aberrant betrayal. I love that the word abarant only academics use that. That's a harsh one. So between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty two, and some of these details actually come from a fabulous New York Times piece by Michael Levinson. Between those years twenty eighteen and twenty twenty two, the loges collectively stole parts from bodies cadavers that had been donated to the medical school and dissected. These are cadavers that are you know, people I guess who opt to donate their bodies to science. This would be one of those options. And again we've talked about this in the past, where you don't necessarily get to decide where your body goes. Isn't that right, Ben, when we're talking about body brokers and donating your body to science, you can't. Maybe you can decide where goes, which can't decide how it's going to be used. What were the kind of the caveats surrounding them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's correct. We have an episode on the very gray, sometimes red market known as body brokerage. There are not regulations for it. It is in the most unfortunate sense of the term, very much a wild West.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not to mention. Once you start getting these bad actors, you know, who are the kind of middle people in these exchanges. But again you think about institution like Harvard. This would be someone who had been heavily vetted, has some academic background, somebody trustworthy. But she goes to sow. You can't really trust anybody. We're talking about limbs, severed heads, brains, dissected faces, you know, individual parts of hands and fingers and right human skulls. An absolute chop shop. And the thing is too this guy would let some of his buyers in kind of sneak them into the morgue so they could have the pick of the litter. You know, they look around you, what do you want? What you need a toe? I can get you a toe, And then they tell him and then he ships it to them. One such customer, a woman by the name of Katrina McLean, a forty four year old resident of Salem, Massachusetts who owns the pretty cute, silly named cats Creepy Creations in Peabody, Massachusetts. We have a place kind of like that here in Atlanta, I call Rainy Day Revival. It sells, you know, mummified you know, usually taxidermy and stuff like that, crucifixes. I've actually got kind of a minor collection of crucifixes and I'm bioloed them from there. And they also lease a lot of their stuff out to film here in Atlanta. And I actually had the occasion to visit the home of somebody who used to work for them as a prop manager for movies. He was going through a bit of a tough time because of some the writer's strike, and so he was selling some synthesizers and I purchased one of them from him. And when I walked into his house, I couldn't help but notice a giant case of human skulls, to which he told me, let's he definitely wasn't selling any of those, and then he proceeded to clue me into some of the laws surrounding human remains. Apparently, it's kind of like that scene in pulp fiction where John Travold's character is talking about marijuana laws and Amsterdam. It's illegal to sell them, it's illegal to transport them across state lines, but it's not illegal to possess them. So there's a lot, and then it's probably differs state to state as well. So it does seem that there's again radio revival, great shop. No reason to believe that they're participating anything like this, but I can see how, you know, it might be potentially lucrative to get some real special pieces that you keep kind of in the back room sell to only the discerning customer. Right. Miss MacLean apparently paid mister Lodge six hundred dollars for two dissected faces. According to prosecutors in the case, they found a paper trail for some of this stuff, payments with memos on them, one of them that just read breaks, which is pretty wild and in portaste. All of this is in poor taste, guys. I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I mean, obviously there's something you know that's darkly humorous about this, but also it's an absolute betrayal. I mean, is it is totally you know, a really low nasty type of crime. You say it's victimless because these people are dead. But I don't think it's victimless. You know, you are going against directly against somebody's wishes and essentially having their remains serve as some sort of like weird you know, mantle ornaments. What do you guys think?
Speaker 2: Well, I wanted to talk about the toll amount of money if you don't mind, guys, just really quickly, yeah, please, how lucrative could this be? Right? And I think we examined that a little bit in our last the full episode we did on this topic. And do you have any reporting about how much this group.
Speaker 3: Made roughly forty grand between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty one, which isn't a ton if you think about it, like for that amount of time, you know, and obviously you can only do this so much before people catch on.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and nine, interestingly enough, in the Body Broker's episode dove into the stats and the research. In two thousand and nine, a very prestigious business school professor estimated that the total number of full bodies not chop chopped donated to the US in the United States, to all groups, law enforcement, automobile manufacturers, you know what I mean, forensic stuff like the Tennessee body fart all that stuff, medical research too. It all total to twenty thousand bodies about year over year. The reason I say a prestigious business school, Noll, you might find this of interest. That professor is from the Harvard Business School, so right next to right right on campus with these absolutely ghoulish resurrection men.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, it's it's obviously it's it's not like it's just just chock full of staff. You know, it probably just takes one or two people to run a department like this. Yeah. I mentioned maybe on a previous episode that I recently went to the Mutcher Museum in Philadelphia, which is an incredible place. You know, it's a connected with the Association of Physicians I forget I'm getting the name exactly right, but a long standing organization dedicated to preserving the history of the medical profession, you know, in Philadelphia, which is of course very old city here in the United States. And there is one part of the museum where you can kind of look through and see this laboratory where there are people actively cataloging things that they get in because you know, collections will be donated to the Mutor Museum, whether it be collections of skulls or you know, human remains and all of that. And even the Motor Museum has been kind of in some hot water lately and took some stuff off of social media because they were getting kind of yelled at by people saying, you're exploiting these people in their memory. You don't know who these people are, you know, for example, some of these subjects are unidentified, and they do everything they can to be as descriptive as possible with the little placards. But my point is when you look through into this lab, it's like one person, you know, cataloging slides and whatever, you know, fetuses in jars, maybe one other person kind of in a back room, but real no pun intended pun intended skeleton crew. So my point is you could do this and and fly under the radar for quite a long time, which they clearly did. And just to wrap it up on my end, here is a little bit more of the statement from the Harvard Medical School community to two deans that were sort of explaining how they came to be aware of this and their their take on mister Lodge's activities. Quote, we are appalled to learn that something so disturbing could happen on our campus, a community dedicated to healing and serving others. The reported incidents are a betrayal of HMS and most importantly, each of the individuals who altruistically chose to will their bodies to HMS. So that answers one of my questions. Yes, you can will your body to a specific institution, UH through the Anatomical Gift Program to advance medical education and research, and that is a thing. Harvard Medical School does have a program called the Anatomical Gift Program, which is is what you would have had something in your last will and testaments and all of that to indicate you wanted your remains donated to this program for these exact purposes. So yeah, it's a betrayal of those people and their wishes and that's gross. Not to mention the whole thing is just kind of ease. Are the creeps? What do you guys think? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just horrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's about the size of it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I can see the angle you're talking about. It's what we talked about before. I can see the unfortunate angle that somebody might come to the rationalization, I'm not hurting anybody by taking these body parts and selling them. Nobody's getting hurt, but they're not thinking about the families of that individual. And I don't just there's something. It is up on the borderline of the moras, right, and the things we just decide as a society we don't do. Don't mess with dead bodies, geez right.
Speaker 1: It is a great social taboo, you know, the kimmata vocation of what once was part of a living person. I cannot I don't always say this, but I cannot recommend the earlier Body Broker's episode from I think it was April twenty twenty two. Enough. We dive into a lot of the things we're talking about here, and every single subject matter expert that we reference there that we cite is agree again, this is an horrific wild West, you know, because oftentimes also by the way, this practice is only exacerbated in other countries. I mean, check into you know, look into your neck of the global woods, look and see whether there's a body exhibit at your local museum. Those come from non consensual body donations of often Chinese place prisoners. It's it's a dirty, dirty thing. There really is a conspiracy of foot and Noel, I am so glad that at least one came to light, but statistically we have to realize there are more out there.
Speaker 3: Now right that it agreed, agreed, And then this really is like a perfect companion piece for that episode that we've referenced a couple of times. So do check that out if you get the chance. And yeah, I think in the meantime, that's that's it for this one. I mean, it'll again wondering if any additional members of this network will be exposed. That might be the thing to keep an eye on. And how far does it go? You know? I mean, if an institution is prestigious as Harvard Medical School could be prey to this kind of behavior, what about the community college Morgues? You know what of that? I mean, it's like, no, no one body is better or more attractive than another when it comes to like selling them for two enthusiasts, I guess call them, you know, I mean, a body's a body, a skull's a skull, So you're right, Ben, I bet you. It will be interesting to see if any other participants are uncovered, because refer to it as like kind of a ring, you know, but they're really only about four people that are named in the indictment, And this.
Speaker 1: May be is where we cast our net in a fishing expedition. For your help, fellow conspiracy realist, what do you think will develop with the Titan submersible? How easy is it in the modern day? How damningly easy is it to lose a craft at sea? When's the last time you impersonated a priest? And for what reason? We hope you weren't doing it to oppress workers. Maybe you were just maybe you're just doing some social experiments on your local public transit, in which case, who are we to judge, certainly not members of the clergy. And this idea, what we just talked about, the idea of organ thievery, of body brokers. It's a really nasty thing and it is absolutely true, and you need to be careful whenever you or a loved one are signing yourself up for a posthumous donation, you need to know there's often more to the story. There are things they don't want you to know when you sign those papers.
Speaker 2: We can't wait to.
Speaker 1: Hear your thoughts. We try to be easy to find online.
Speaker 3: Try and finds in the handle Conspiracy Stuff on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook. Conspiracy Stuff Show on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: Do you like to talk? Call one eight three three STDWYTK. It's our voicemail system. You've got three minutes to say whatever you'd like. Please give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use your name and message on the air. If you've got more to say they can fit in that three minutes, Why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 1: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't want you to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.