Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Giftiest Charge podcast, presented by the Charterers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am your host as always and joining me this afterduce my guy Tyler. Tyler, what's up man? How you doing today?
Speaker 3: I'm doing very well. I wave helow with my right hand, and if the NFL was wondering, I can also.
Speaker 1: Do it with my left hand. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Usually we get those what if he were left handed? Tweets spread out. The NFL decided to do it all in one day, which was really funny. We got to see what Justin Herbert looked like if he were left handed.
Speaker 1: You know, thankfully he is right handed.
Speaker 2: You know, it makes it look more esthetically pleasing in my opinion, but you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: So I got a fun show plan for you guys. Today.
Speaker 2: We are going to be talking about the players with the most potential to be training camp and preseason in stars or breakouts. So this is not necessary like season breakout, like we'll do that at some point, but this is specifically talking about which players have the best chance of lighting it up during the rest of the season schedule or off season schedule. I should say in terms of training camp for preseason, and then we got some great questions via Twitter that will go over as many as we possibly can today, so it should be a fun off season show. Again, apologize for the poor audio quality if it gets to that point for our audio audience.
Speaker 1: You know, this will be my.
Speaker 2: Last episode recording from my vacation, so next week I'll be back in my usual studio space. So before we get started, as always, appreciate any subscribes comments on this channel as well as our own on the Guiltiest Charge podcast. And Tyler and I, your first and foremost, are fans just like you guys. We are independent content creators just happen to be creating this content via the Chargers feed. So the expinions, the opinions expressed on this show are our own and are not shared by the Chargers organization. All right, Tyler, let's dive in here. We've decided to do one offensive training camp preseason star and one defensive.
Speaker 1: Let's start with the offense. Who's your choice here? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So, to me, a breakout training camp star is a player who you might not have the highest expectations due to draft stock or lack thereof maybe they're not a roster priority, but they have the capacity to exceed certain expectations and pickup buzz and then the fans go, hey, like that guy should make the roster, And maybe they don't, or maybe they don't contribute at all, but I think they can do more in the preseason in the offseason than maybe that was expected of them. So to me, it's a newer guy that I just watched today. That's Mike Ezekey, the rookie undrafted free agent Titan out of UCLA. I've tried to go through all the eighteen undrafted free agents. It's a lot. It's taking a long time to get through all of them. But he really popped me when I started to watch him today versus usc and versus Utah. Another player who had a really great game against Utah. I'm sure, I'm sure you watched that one, Steven. But he was actually a receiver for Ucla for two years and then he switched two years ago to tight end and he's really transformed his body over the last two years. Apparently he's picked up thirty pounds and now he's six five, two fifty. But he was asked to do a lot for UCLA for a guy that is just now switching to tight end. Granted, receiver to tight end isn't the craziest conversion, but he was asked to do a lot for UCLA, and I saw targets on dig routes, on crossers, on out routes, seam balls on leak delays, slide to the flat wheel routes, something from the backfield. I saw a comeback route like you name it in just the two games that I watched, so one hundred and six yards and three touchdowns in those two games. And then as a blocker, I think he had so many different roles, again, impressive for a guy who's just learning how to play tight end. So he's the point man out wide, he was in line, the h back, full back, et cetera. And I just think that the charters are looking for Maybe they don't keep four tight ends, but I feel like they've always almost got there, and for some reason, it's always been like a PAC twelve tight end. A guy has really stood out and he's almost become that fourth tight end for them. They really haven't found that guy yet, but I think his potential. Izeki's potential is really really high and I think that Kellen Moore, especially with you know, some of these later draft picks that he's had, has really done a good job of developing tight ends. And I think Kevin Koger is a very good tight ends coach. So I think when we get to training camp, we're going to see this tight end. I think fans are going to wonder, you know, who's this really big tight end, who's this other guy? And I think he's really going to stand out the moment we hit training camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a really interesting call here.
Speaker 2: You know, I thought about choosing one of the other tight ends, Stone Smart, but he was on the team last year.
Speaker 1: You know, we saw him make some kind of impact.
Speaker 2: So I figured tight end might be a group where we might see somebody emerge in the in the fall, you know. And I think Zeke would be a good candidate leader because there's there's just some uncertainty behind Donald Parham. I mean, we all want trade McKitty to work out, as the team invested at third round pick in him, but hasn't really happened thus far. I mentioned Stone Smart, you know, just some uncertainty there. You know, he hasn't been on the field enough he's been injured already in his career, so Ezeki does have a good chance here to come in and make an impact.
Speaker 1: And I think.
Speaker 2: That that checks the box of like opportunity as well, because that was that was kind of the hard thing for me to nail down when we're talking about like a training camp preseason star, it's all about opportunity.
Speaker 1: So like last year, you.
Speaker 2: And I liked, I think we both liked the running back from Buffalo who played in the XFL this year. I forget his name right now, but he we barely saw him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He did not get very many opportunities to carry the football, And so there's a bit of that difficulty of finding like, Okay, who's going to get enough.
Speaker 1: Opportunities to really shine?
Speaker 2: And I think we could have an offensive lineman in this category, but someone to generate buzz I think is tough as an offensive lineman. So tight end receiver I feel like is probably that sweet spot. And a Zekey I think fits that mold of like somebody who can have an opportunity for a higher role than expected just because there's not a ton set in stone in front of him.
Speaker 3: Who would the offensive lineman be that you would go with just real quick.
Speaker 2: Offensive lineman that I would go with, I'm not too sure, man. Johari Branch is really interesting to me, the center prospect that we've seen working with the second team offensive times throughout the springtime because Coryland's kind of gets those rest days, so we haven't really seen brendan heimis necessarily carve out a significant role. Maybe Branch can kind of challenge him for that last offensive line spot.
Speaker 1: So he's somebody that I think has.
Speaker 2: A quality uh some quality tape working with him, and then also has an intriguing athletic background too, So he's he probably would be my my one I know, potentially third string center is not necessarily a preseason breakout star though for most people.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know, I picked tight end five or four whatever he is. So here we are, all right, who's your offensive guy?
Speaker 1: My my actual offensive guy?
Speaker 2: You know, Poke Williams is kind of the low hanging through here because he's he's already started to gain some buzz and one of us could certainly take him. But you know, I go back to I know fans don't fans are kind of you know, on either side of the fence. Revisiting potentially Tyron Johnson stories, right, but that mold of like speedy receiver who's going to get behind the defense and get some deep shots from Justin Herbert we've seen kind of carry some weight in in the fall and and to me, that guy could be John high Tower, and high Tower is a Boise State guy. We know how Kellen Moore was a Boise State guy one telling one time in his career obviously, So John high Tower just fits that mold, right. You know, there's there's an opportunity in this offense without Jalen Guiden, and Jalen Guyton could return for a training camp, we don't know, but John high Tower is essentially a one for one replacement from an athletic profile standpoint, where he can push teams, push the defense vertically and really get in some of that work. So Poke Williams we've seen kind of take on some of that boundary jump ball roll. John high Tower is the one for me that can kind of get over the top of defenses, get some you know, sixty yard touchdowns in there, make the crowd go oohs and ohs and all that stuff in the stands and really start making fans and teams and media members wonder if, hey, maybe John high Tower might be the Jalen guitt In replacement, so kind of out of the box a little bit, but high Towers might pick here for offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do think that. First of all, it is Pokey Wilson. For the people that are jumping into the comment section at Williams, it's okay, very very close. Almost got there, Pokey Wilson. I'm sorry, no, no problem. I do think that if something happens with Jalen Guidan where he's not ready, I do think the smarter call would be go with another player like John Hightower who is faster, who is someone who can push and you can push the ball down the field with, not that you can't with Pokey Wilson, but it's a different kind of vertical thing, right, you have speeds to a vertical threat versus like Malcolm Floyd vertical threat. I don't know how fast muck co Employed was. Maybe he was fast, I don't know, but he's typically more the bigger body down the field, sort of got high Tower not small himself. Either way, it's definitely a guy who can push the ball down with and I do think it might mean something when it comes to roster cut decisions and whatnot, that he has played in the NFL before. He does have hundreds of snaps. I think he has one hundred something receiving yards in the NFL, which isn't a lot, but it's a lot more than some of these undrafted free agency guys who have carved like no role for themselves thus far. So yeah, I think that especially if Jalen Guiden is, you know, not working so well because he's injured for what you know, he's still injured, he's coming off his injury. Yeah, I think high Tower could be someone that would really stand out in camp. And I think we even looked at with Sean. You know, there was you know, Keenan Allen was always that guy on the inside running you know, the out or running a corner. But there was always a guy to the boundary that was running that go ball, the outside release and that go ball. And Okay, that's probably going to be Mike Williams or Quintin Johnson. But when you start working with the second team unit, who's that guy going to be? And in twenty twenty one with Joe Lombardi, it was pretty regularly Jalen Giden, And so if Guiden is hurt, the next guy who would step into that role I would think is John high Tower. Maybe Josh Palmer, but if you want that speedier guy, and maybe Palmer is the guy who plays in the slot in the second team. You know, high Towers that guy who will take the top off the defense, who can run that outside release. So yeah, that's a good call there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited about him.
Speaker 2: We didn't really see him have that you know, full off season with the charger of it. He was a mid season pickup, so he's somebody I'm curious to see if he can carve out a role this year. I will switch to defenses, to the defensive side of the ball. I think for me, you know, I would be inclined to at least mention Dyone Henley in this piece. I don't think he's not gonna be my choice because he was a draft pick, right, but we've already seen him make, you know, some really strong impacts and practices in the spring, having a couple interceptions. So he is somebody that I think will be a training camp star, but not in the same kind of vein that we're talking about. My choice is going to be Andrew Farmer, the edge rusher from Maine College, one of the HBCU colleges, which I think is a lot of fun Chargers obviously scouted him when they went down to the HBCU combine fits the mold of what Brandon Stey traditionally.
Speaker 1: Likes at edge rusher in terms of physical profile.
Speaker 2: This is somebody who had you know, eleven and a half sacks in twenty twenty one, seven and a half acts this past season at Lane College. So there's there's legit sack production there, legit pressure production. And I think when you at least kind of watch the clips that we have obviously, you know, HPCU film is tough to come by, but we've seen some clips here and there, and there's at least a clear plan for him to rush the passer. And I think that's something that was kind of lacking with the edge rusher group from last year, was just kind of the ability to you know, have a plan of attack and make an impact, you know, in the in this kind of setting. So you know, obviously training camp is a bit tough to really gauge where pass rushers are at but in terms of the preseason, Andrew Farmer is going to get a ton of reps. You know, obviously to Lee and Chris Rump will get reps two, but Andrew Farmer's gonna have a chance to you know, finish the second half of pretty much every preseason game. And so this is more preseason than training camp. But physical profile I think is very intriguing for Andrew Farmer. You know, there's that group of maybe practice squad edge rushers with him and Tys Shelby and Carlo Kemp and I think I would give that edge towards Andrew Farmer right now just based off of like his physical profile, and I think he.
Speaker 1: Will have some really solid moments in training camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really that's a great pick. By the way, I'm really curious to see what he does end up doing because they had a really solid trio of edge rushers they could have picked from last year to maybe be that fifth edge rusher depending on how you viewed you know, Kyle Vanoy at the time as an edge versus linebacker, and they went with nobody. You know, they kind of just went with the guys that they had. Chris Rohm, Puser III, Eventually they picked up some guys later on, but you know, all the guys that they rotated with, they didn't work with, you know, until I think they needed to later in the season, so someone like Andrew Farmer could come in and really be a part of that. And you talk about him as a pass rusher, I personally kind of liked him more as a run defender. Part of that is motor, and I guess that is defense that is playing the run, but there was so much motor there, plenty of backside chase down. I think he does also have a nice as a rusher, a nice ben to compliment what he can do as a run defender. It's not consistent, but that's completely fine. And again we're talking about it undrafted free agent here, but there are tools there. And I think that he's in a really good situation. I think every defensive lineman who joins the Chargers is in a good situation. You learn from a good coach, good coordinator, good head coach, good players, so you're in a really good situation. So I think Andrew Farmer is a really really good call there. That's fun. I like that. I'm going to go with someone else. Speaking of Lane, but a completely different lane. I am going with Raheem Lane, the second year safety out of Indiana, who I've loved since I just noticed him. And it's one of those things in training camp where you go, who's forty one? Like you forgot who that number is. You don't really know who that number is, but you know watching him. There was one day of practice and this is when I figured out who he was. They were just doing one on one coverage drills and DB's aren't supposed to win, Like maybe you have some moments like Dean Leonard had some really good moments, but for the most part, you're supposed to lose those one on ones. It's just not realistic the offense should win there. And yet Raheem Lane, I remember watching him, and I really feel like that's the best safety coverage I've seen on the team one on one outside of Derwin James. It really looked like that kind of coverage, which I know sounds like a lot, but this guy did play corner at Indiana for three years before switching to safety, so all those coverage skills, all those corner like skills, those one on one skills are still there. And that really, really showed up. But you know what makes him a real breakout candidate is he's going to have opportunities. Last year, you know a little bit here and there, but he's always kind of that fourth guy, fifth guy, I should probably say fifth or sixth guy, because you had a low heet, you had nas, you had J. T. Woods, Mark Webbitt times. But towards the end of the season, Ryan Ficken goes, I need to get this guy on my special teams. And so they did, right, they elevate him to special teams. We've talked about it a bunch, but it really does mean something when you're a rookie, undrafted free agent and you get called up ahead of draft picks at your position to play special teams and then you exceed, you know, expectations and you do really well with those reps. So not only do you earn the trust you know and you'll get called up as is, but then you have the payoff for the coaches who believed in you. And so I think that if he's a core special teamer for them moving forward, I think they're going to find more ways to get him involved. I think you could see him, honestly as the immediate backup in terms of role maybe to Derwin James Junior. Yes, A Loohi Gillman is the safety two. Technically JD. Woods could be the safety three. But in terms of playing closer to the line of scrimmage and what he can do there in that one on one coverage, Raheem Lane kind of might work his way if he can beat up Mark Webb, which he did last year to being that guy, and I think if he takes that next step forward, I really do think it's possible, again, very possible, a lot of ifs that we are looking at sort of the same route that Adrian Phillips took, which took many years. So I'm not saying he's Adrian Phillips this year, but Adrian Phillips right, I think he had like thirty special team snaps and then it just slowly built from there and it really wasn't until a year like four or five where he really finally blossomed. But I think Raheem Lane, if he has the trust of special teams and he can become that special team's ace, and he keeps playing well and he's healthy, I think he's a total breakout candidate'm gett I'm not saying he's Adrian Phillips this year that I'm saying if he keeps going, I think he's a training camp start this year, and I really do think he can progress to even more than that moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he So he checks both boxes for you in terms of like preseason breakout and potentially a season breakout thing if we're talking about somebody who could push for safety three, and I think you're right to mention that potential role behind therewin James because J T. Woods cannot fill that like box safety kind of role. That's just not his kind of game, and there is a market for that. They draft a Mark Web to be that potential kind of player. And I think that's the surprising thing about Lane because you mentioned him as a former cornerback. He would expect him to have a high profile coverage ability and that's just that's an asset of his game. But to me, like the strength of his game is being in the box. And so you know there's gonna be there's gonna be times where the Chargers are going to go into their dime package with six defensive backs on the field and maybe Derwin James is out covering receiver like he was against Keenan Allen or Cede Lamb like he's done in the past.
Speaker 1: Maybe he's covering a tight end.
Speaker 2: Maybe they want him playing deep in the shell packages and maybe kind.
Speaker 1: Of roaming around a little bit.
Speaker 2: And there's gonna be an opportunity for Raheem Lane or Mark Web, you know, in this instance, I think we both agree that it's probably Rahem Lane's job to lose, to be that six defensive back, come into the box, play the run, cover running backs, cover tight ends, and I think Raheem Lane can have that opportunity to be both a preseason breakout candidate and you know, earn some safety three snaps as well for the charges this year in the regular season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really excited to watch him. If if what he did in the regular season on special teams is a sign of things to come, and if you can keep that going through the entire season, like you know, there, I'm just I'm just very excited about him because there's just something there, there's a spark there, there's something unique there. I think he could do something special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: If nothing else, I mean, he's going to cover out or on special teams again and you know we'll see him, you know, make an impact in that regard. All right, Tyler, before we jump into questions, anybody else you want to mention here as you know, maybe one other name to keep an eye on.
Speaker 3: You kind of hit Poke Wilson obviously. I think we do have to mention that because he's been out there some people. It depends on your definition of breakout candidate. I do think that you could say that Chris Rump is kind of a training camp breakout candidate because I think we're forgetting like he might be pushed away because of Tully being the draft pick. But we have seen that the Chargers sometimes can take their time with younger players, and Chris Rump, in theory, is taking another step forward this year. And you know, I asked Morgan Fox about this, and we've seen the data for this. Their most successful four man group in terms of pressure right involved Chris Rump. Actually, their best two groupings involved Chris Rump, although it only was like twenty five snaps together or whatever it was, But there is something there. So I think that he's a potential one. If you kind of change your definition, I would potentially say Foster Serrel out there as well, which would be a lot and be huge for this team. The Chargers want him to be right because he's their swing tackle right now. Depending he's at least their pure swing tackle right now. We'll see what they do with Solar, with mcfatten, et cetera. But I think that the Chargers, I think they can develop offensive linemen pretty well. I think they've shown that they can get the most out of a lot of these guys. But then you also have the Duke many Weather factor in there. You do the fact that Kellen Moore's offense is hopefully better suited to offensive line progression and development than someone like maybe Joe Lombardi, where they just had the most dropbacks in the league every single game against Nick Bosa. Like, that's not great for Foster Serral, but if you can take some of that pressure off, I think that would be really helpful for him, so potentially him as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a good one.
Speaker 2: The other name that I thought about mentioning along the defensive line is Chris Hinton. Again, we saw him make an impact during the season down the stretch when the Chargers had a lot of defensive tackle injuries. But there's a chance that we don't see th Twito Aguanya and or Austin Johnson throughout training camp, right Like, there's going to be an opportunity for Chris Hinton, for Gerrod Clark, for the rest of these other defensive linemen behind Sebastian Jose the Day and Morgan Fox to get some meaningful snaps. We've seen, you know, Brandon Fojoco, Forest, Merrill, Cortez Broughton in the past couple of years be able to carve out some buzz in that regard. And so Chris Hinton is my name to watch there. I know there's a lot of love for Girod Clark.
Speaker 1: Out there, but Chris Hinton is kind of there. Uh.
Speaker 2: He fits their mold of somebody who can do a bit of everything, as somebody who can defend a run and run rush the passer. I mean, there were a couple of snaps against the Colts where he put Clinton Johnson or excuse me, Quinton Johnston, Clinton Nelson in a blender a little bit against the Colts in on Monday Night football. So Chris Hinton is definitely somebody that I am h circling, you know, for the rest of the summer months here in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exciting. Another coach at Jade Rodgers pairing there to help coach him ups. That's I mean again, if you're on the defensive line, you've got great coaches around you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Tyler, let's get to some of these questions here. Again, thank you to everybody who send us some questions on Twitter. We'll do that from time to time, you know, over the next few weeks. Obviously gonna be a little bit tougher to do this during the season when we have legitimate things to talk about every single week, but wanted to get some of your guys' pressing questions here. We'll try and get to as many as we possibly can. We'll probably take about twenty minutes here to get to some of these. So first one here we have is from Eugene. He says, if J. C. Jackson is healthy for training camp and ready for week one, what do you think the chances are that jah Jessea Taylor actually beats out Sante SEMy Junior for the starting slot role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the interesting one. I tweeted this out and discussed this and people were like, what how is that possible. Okay, is a Santae Samuel junior, the better corner I believe so, is a Sante Samuelo junior, the better defensive back. I believe so is a Sante Samlo junior. Definitely, in the eyes of the Los Angeles Chargers in Brandon Staley, the better slot corner than John Taylor. I actually don't know if that's as close. It's definitely not as close to it. Yes, I'm not entirely sure that they feel that way. A Santa Semuel junior has been even inter just in brief moments. Benched two years in a row in twenty twenty one as a rookie, which is fine. It happens. I think everybody got benched. And last year, Okay, a lot of guys got benched too, in the defensive backfield, but he wasn't necessarily bench as much as we don't really want you to be out here playing the run, and so we're gonna put in Jaw Taylor instead. And we've talked about this a lot, but like, the slot has to play the run quite a bit. If you're a slot corner, you're going to playing the run quite a bit. And the Charges have shown and Brandon Staley's shown, we don't really want you on the field right now in those situations. Now, can you improve there? Absolutely? Granted he's not the biggest guy, but we just saw Michael Davis have the best year of his career against the run, like significantly better than it ever has been. So it's possible Sante Semul Junior could get better there. But as it pretends playing the run, I think they might want John Taylor there in the slot. Again, I think Assante Simo Junior is the better corner. I probably would put him out there anyway, because I think he's the better corner and the better defensive back. But in the eyes of Los Angeles Chargers and in Brendon Staley's eyes, it's possible that John Taylor is the better slot corner for them. And so I'm I'm giving this a fifty to fifty shot. I think both guys have skill sets that are a little bit different, their strengths that are a little bit different. So I'll say it's about fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'm gonna go fifty to fifteen, but JA see Taylor is gonna play for this team. Like, I think people are you know, penciling as Sante Semi junior and as the like one hundred percent he's gonna play and be the starting slot corner, and I don't agree with that. So I'm probably in between your fifty to fifty and like the consensus because I do think Jaseah Taylor is gonna play. I think part of that is what you're talking about with run defense and also Jaia Taylor's ability to bring pressure off of the edge at times and be an effective blitzer. You know, Bryce Callahan was a great pickup for the Chargers last year, but I think his two weaknesses are run defense and blitzing. I don't think those are strengths of his game. So do the Chargers want to run that back essentially with a Sante Sammy junior where your slot corner is almost strictly a coverage slot corner. It doesn't really seem like that's the plan. I think they would have simply brought Bryce Calahan back if they wanted to do that with Asante. So I think there's going to be an opportunity for Jesseer Taylor to earn that kind of role. I don't think he's going to be a three down player. We know how much Brandon Sathey wants to play in the nickel formation almost exclusively. But I do agree with you that there is definitely a role for Jaseer Taylor to carve out with run defense, with blitzing, and I think that's a significant role, right, Like, I think that's almost a starter. Like it's so interesting to me, if JC is healthy, the kind of flexibility that you have with the three of them, because Michael Davis is almost strictly an outside corner.
Speaker 1: I think they kind of experimented.
Speaker 2: With him last offseason, you know, giving him some safety snaps and things like that, but he's almost exclusively an outside corner. Jac Jackson has logged around four hundred snaps in the slot when he was in New England, so he's shown the ability to do that. So if j C is healthy, you could you could start with JC and Michael Davis on the outside and Jaseer Taylor on the inside, and then you swap us onto Inforgencer maybe that maybe he plays the slot, Maybe jac comes into the slot, Assante goes back out wide, so you have a lot of flexibility there. But I think definitely, there's gonna be a bigger rotation than people are expecting at this point in time. I think Assanta Sigmon Junior has done a lot of great things for this Charters team, especially in coverage. I think he has that that ballhawk mentality to come in and change games. We've seen that several times seen whether that was against the Colts, whether against the Raiders in Week one, that was against the Commanders last year in Week one, and we've seen him be such an effective coverage player. But that run defense weakness is real, and I think that gives an opportunity for Jose or Taylor to carve out a role. And I know people don't want to hear that, but it's the truth.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I think there's gonna be a four man rotation if jac is healthy this year at corner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, again, I would lean. I would love Asante Samuel Junior out there starting Slaw all the time. I think of, you know, years ago with like Desmond King the pick six against the Cowboys, pick six against the Seahawks. You know, like that sort of stuff is also really needed out there too. And like you said, ballhawk with this anti Samuel Junior, that's his thing. As far as rotation goes, we'll see. I think this is the most notable storyline overall, like these four dbs. I think it's the most intriguing part of camp, to be completely honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm curious if they maybe experiment a little bit with just here at safety to try and get him out there, because if you're talking about like your dime package, your best six dbs, like I think it's Derwin and Alobi and then these four corners, I really do. So you know, somebody is gonna have to cross train somewhere. Maybe they want to get just hear Taylor out there that much. But I'm excited for just Here, man. I really am higher on him than a lot of people seem to be. I think he has a very bright future ahead of him as as that slot corner kind of player. So I think we're both on the same page there. Second question here, this is from Gibby. Gibbey says, what off season changes slash editions so far have demonstrated the ability to make a major difference. What can we hope on fur on the defensive side against the run. So I think this is more gear towards defensive changes. We've talked a lot about Kellen Moore, so obviously I think that to me would qualify for this question. But let's focus in on the defensive side of things here, Tyler, how would you respond to this question in terms of big additions on defense that would maybe of give us some hope against the run in particular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's truly. I think the power that he displays against the run, It'll take some time for him to think to develop as a pass rusher and ensure as a run defender, but what he can do immediately, even at twenty years old, he's used the power in his hands, the motor to at least play the run, and I think in that regard, I think you can improve the run defense. I think just having that option behind Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack hopefully they're all healthy, but I think as soon as one of those guys went down, it's okay, let's run to the side of the third string guy because they just weren't as strong against the run. And that's fine. Not everybody's, you know, a run defender kind of type. I think Tully right now can definitely do that for them. I also think just the switch we'll see, but I think the switch early to a Lohi Gilman and to be your safety too right now instead of this Seior utterly, I think is going to pay off in terms of the run. You know, sometimes last year it really wasn't the it's not that they gave up five yards to carry, four yard to carry, whatever it was. It was the fifty yard killers, the forty yard killers. And there was a stretch there between like Week two and Week seven or whatever it was, where every single week it was forty or fifty yards and you always saw into Serior Adoley just not being able to get there. The rest of the defense too, of course, but I think with the Lohi Gillman, you're hoping at least you can put a lid on some of those. So I think those two changes are pretty important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we talked about j Just Seer's role there as well. I think there there's definitely some uncertainty with this question. But theoretically the Chargers have upgraded their run defense from the slot, their run defense from their edge three, their run defense at linebacker one with Eric Kendricks. I think that's a pretty clear upgrade in terms of run defense from what they had last year with Drew Tranquill, but you know, and then Alohi Gillman as well, So I think there's a lot of unsettled potential there. The other thing that I would bring up, too, is that Morgan Fox is a very underrated run defender. You know, we've seen him have some really strong moments down the end of last season against the run, and at this time last year he was heading into a fifty to fifty split with Jerry Tillery for that kind of third defensive tackle spot.
Speaker 1: This year, that's going to be settled. That's his job.
Speaker 2: They paid him a lot of money to stick around rush the passer obviously first and foremost, but his run defense is a clear upgrade as well, and so there's definitely some areas of concern.
Speaker 1: Obviously.
Speaker 2: You know, the health of Austin Johnson is probably the biggest question mark there because you and I have talked about him being so good down.
Speaker 1: To start the season last year for the Chargers.
Speaker 2: But theoretically you look at the third defensive tackle spot, the linebacker spot, the third edgrusser spot, and that line of scrimmage part as potentially clear upgrades so I understand the Chargers didn't like go out and make a big splash like they did two years ago when they got Austin Johnson in his fashion Joseph Day. But in theory, I know that's not what everyone likes to hear. But theory, the Chargers run defense should be better next year than it was this past season. Things just have to kind of, you know, click into place here when with health and rotational pieces kind of earning those roles. But I think from a personnel standpoint, it's not a huge upgrade. But the Chargers didn't really need to do that. They just needed like solid pieces to come in and earn those roles.
Speaker 1: And I think that will happen. So I'm not.
Speaker 2: Predicting like best run defense in the league, but if everybody stays relatively healthy, I think this can be at worst like a top twenty run defense, which is you know, I think a nine spot upgrade from last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like special teams for us, right, And hey, we kept joking, we just want in the best part of the twenties, you know, and say we end up with what top ten or whatever it ended up being for the Charges on special teams so yeah, I'll take it. I think health is big. Morgan Fox talked about he just I mean honest, he just knew his roles more. They kind of found a way to work him better. He gained some like positive weight throughout the season to get better against the runs. Just stuff like that I think will help. I think going into year two, everyone for the most part, like gets their roles. They have a defined role, and even like Kendricks, who's a newer piece to this team, like his role is clearly defined. I think that the Chargers there were so many incoming pieces last year. What do I do? Who does this? Is Kyle van Noya linebacker? Is your edge rusher? Is this guy healthy?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: There goes Joey Bosa. I think this year and again praying for health, the rules are so much more defined. I think they'll be much better just naturally.
Speaker 2: Yeah that too, And I think, you know, another year in this system I think should help alleviate some of those because a lot of the big explosive runs that you're talking about, and a lot of it was just like poor alignment issues with the secondary and sometimes the linebacker is kind of not adjusting to what was happening. Like the James Robinson run from the third week of the season, right Like the Jaguars had like four bodies over to the left and the Chargers defense never adjusted and it was just like the easiest fifty yard run you'll ever see. So I'm hopeful that in the system with these guys and air Kendricks kind of coming over and can clean some of those things up as well. All right, Third question here from E Wing, a Fighter pilot, one of the long time supporters of the show, so appreciate him. He asked, we were ten and seven last year. Surely with an upgrade at offensive coordinator, that's worth at least one win, and he said speed and depth at wide receiver is worth another win and healthy team and a healthy team is worth another win. So he wants to know if it's reasonable for us to see the Chargers go thirteen and four this upcoming season in twenty twenty three. So I think this is probably the more optimistic side of things, and I understand like this is part of that offseason. I will point out obviously that last year the Chargers were one in seven against playoff teams. They handled their business against teams they should have won, and that should be commended because that's been a weakness in the past. You know, they had an easier schedule last year than they will this year.
Speaker 1: So that's the first thing that I'll point out.
Speaker 2: It's not just a one for one swap here, because the Chargers are going to have a much more difficult schedule this year. There's fewer games against teams that they should definitely win against with a more difficult schedule. But Tyler, how would you respond to this question outside of the schedule differences.
Speaker 3: That's how I would respond to it, to be completely honest. I mean seriously, like I get the upgrades for the Chargers, like there should be a better team. They are, I think a better team. They have plenty of depth now for the most part. But the rest of the NFL gets better too, Like the Chiefs got a lot better on defense. Let's not forget about that. It's possible the Broncos are a better team. The Raiders are not so great. But you know, things could work out for other teams. But it's the schedule is so much more difficult for the Chargers this year, and there's not that stretch of Baker Mayfield rams, Nick Foles, colds and that sort of thing. Ryan Anaho on one foot, Now there might be yeah, yeah, So I can't really go out and predict, you know that the Chargers are going to go thirteen and four because of the rest of the NFL. Right, yes, the Chargers got better, but so did a lot of the NFL, and so did their schedule. Their schedule is tough. And then just as it is as a Chargers fan, we know, listen, I could go through every game and pitch to you several ideas and reasons why they're gonna beat every single team. I can tell you why they're gonna beat the Mac Jones led Patriots, and yet are we picking them to beat the Patriots? I don't know. You know, I could pitch you twenty ways they beat the Broncos in Denver the last ten years, and here we are wondering why the heck they can't win in Denver. So it's just naturally as a Chargers fan, it's whatever I think they can do minus won for a game that they should have won, minus probably another one for health reasons. So I think like eleven and like if they go eleven and six, I genuinely think that's a good season. And a step forward, like maybe even a big step forward, maybe depends on who they beat and how they do it. I think eleven and six, even though it didn't seem like a lot in the record, I think that does mean a lot, and that does mean positive momentum heading into the postseason, which is where it matters anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, when we did our game by game prediction a few weeks so we will settle on eleven and six different games obviously in there as wins and losses, But I think Ewing is definitely right about the improvement, right, Like, I think we can all agree that Kellen Moore is going to be an upgraded offensive coordinator. I mean, we just had the show this week earlier this week with Sean Sayed, and you know, it's impossible for me to like contain my excitement about the offensive side of the football and Justin Herbert being healthy and Quentin Johnson, like, I think that that unit can carry this team to a special, special season. You know, does that translate to thirteen and four, I'm not sure yet. I think because of where the Chargers play in the AFC and in the AFC West, it's hard for me to really get to thirteen wins for this team. But the potential is there, absolutely. I think there's just some other things that would have to click together for this team to really get me to thirteen wins. So I think we'll see ten to eleven wins, maybe twelve, depending if some bounces of the football, But we'll feel much better about this team heading down the stretch that we did then last year if everybody stays healthy. I think, you know, there was some doubt in a lot of our minds about really how good that team was. You know, you look at statistics like DVOA and EPA pri play that they were not a ten win team. You know, that's a team that traditionally wins kind of maybe eight games, maybe nine. So you know, the schedule really boosted their win total last year.
Speaker 1: This year, the schedule is gonna be much more difficult. So I think the.
Speaker 2: Potential for the Chargers have a truly special season is there one hundred percent. Whether or not that seeps into me predicting thirteen and four, I think is another story.
Speaker 3: Yeah for me. It also just starts with the Chiefs. So what do you ewing or what do I think the Chiefs record is going to be I think it's better than the Chargers. So what is their record fifteen and two? Then if the Charges are thirteen and four, you know, like I just think that the Chiefs are realistically maybe like I don't know, fourteen and three or whatever it is, thirteen and four. I hate these new numbers. It used to be so much easier. Guys. I'm dying doing math right here right now.
Speaker 1: Charges.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I took biology for a reason. What was I even talking about? Anyway? I think the Chargers are maybe like a game or two below the Chiefs. So if you say that the Chiefs or Charges are thirteen and four, then the Chiefs might have had one of the greatest regular seasons ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just it sucks, man. We're the team behind the current dynasty right now. So it's it's really tough for me to like get on board with, like, yeah, like the Chargers are gonna win thirteen fourteen games. It's like, oh, they're like, the Chiefs are a better team. They have they are, as much as we want to think otherwise. I think the Chargers have the potential to have lighting in the ball strike this year, and you know, get to those fourteen wins and win the division. Absolutely, it can happen every single year, but it's just the realistic part of me can't really see that happening. So again, the offense is going to be so much better this year than it was last year. I don't know if that's going to translate to winning the division in thirteen fourteen wins. Yeah, all right, next question here, potentially our last one here.
Speaker 1: This is from Robert.
Speaker 2: He says, is there a chance that Bosa and Mac break the all time sack record for a duo It currently sits at thirty nine. He wants to know where they break that forty barrier or is Dolman and.
Speaker 1: Millard's record safe.
Speaker 2: So I think doman record, their record has come dangerously close to being.
Speaker 1: Broken over the past couple of years.
Speaker 2: I want to think like Alden Smith and Jason Smith came close one year. Obviously, Joey Bosa has not surpassed his career high of twelve and a half that he set as a rookie. It's been some time since Khalil Mack has had more than twelve sacks as well. So Tyler, what kind of potential are you setting for Joey and khalil As as a duo heading to twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: I think the sacks almost don't even matter. To be completely honest, it's always, at least for Joey Bosa been the per play stats. Thirty nine is the records of forty to break it. I think they've both their best years if you combined them, I think they were under thirty combined, So it would be a big jump for them. So do I think they get it? Not necessarily, and honestly, I think that I hope that they keep these guys fresh enough where the sacks don't really matter, right, we really want the per play stats to look good, to be good, I want them to be healthy. They started last years and I think eighty percent of the snaps they were out there. That's a little bit much. So hopefully they kind of peel things back just a little bit. Yeah, forty's a lot. It'd be great and that would be one of the most fun seasons if they do that. But I think I think forty is out of reach. I'd say like a good sixteen to seventeen each would be really really nice and I think realistic because of you know them individually, maybe not so much. But together you saw it against the Raiders. It looked like it was magical. So I think they're healthy. Then, yeah, I think thirty five it should be reachable. Forty is a whole like another jump that I don't know if they'll be able to reach. We'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, forty I think is probably too much.
Speaker 2: You know, at this time last year, I was doing my Joey Bosa rewatch them the twenty twenty one season, and before the season I predicted a seventeen sax season from Joey Bosa. Obviously he gets injured, that didn't come to fruition. But I do think that there's a chance for Joey to have a career season this year, you know, being fully healthy for the first time, being able to come in with a full offseason. And Khalilly gets the same kind of conversation too, right, because Khalil was coming off the foot injury at this time last year, he was not working with the team in the spring. He was still working his way back from the foot surgery that ended his twenty twenty one season with the Bears, so ultimately led to his trading to the Chargers. So I think the potential for Joey to have a career high season is definitely there. You know, we've seen him have these great seasons alongside Melvin Ingram and obviously Uchenna and Moosu in that mix as well in twenty eighteen, so I think Joey can definitely have a career high season.
Speaker 1: Still.
Speaker 2: I know people are kind of down on him after the way the season ended, but Joey's one of the best ed Russians in the league still. In my opinion, I'm hopeful that the goal for Khalil Mack in twenty twenty three is more geared towards efficiency the per play stats, because I think he was kind of worn down in the middle of the season without Joey, Bosa and Kylin and always still kind of trying to figure his role out. So I'm hopeful that two Lee Twequoalow two brings a greater efficiency for Klumac, keeps him a little bit more fresh. But then obviously we'd bring the sack total down. So I think the potential is there for these two to be dominant the season. Absolutely, does it lead to forty sacks, that's probably a little bit much for me. I think we right Now, if I had to like predict, I would say we probably see Joey hit like around fifteen, Clue maybe gets back to ten for the first time in a couple of seasons, and I think with twenty five ish, maybe thirty if everything goes right, I think you feel great about that season for the two of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be fantastic. And again, there, what they do on the field goes so much beyond just the sacks, right, It's the pressures, it's the ability against the run, it's the double teams, it's the stunts and et cetera. So it doesn't really matter to me at the end of the day if they get forty or not, although it'd be great if they did, yeah, a hundred percent.
Speaker 2: But I do think that people are going to remember what these two look like when they're both healthy, when they both have a full off season, when they both have a running mate who can properly take attention away from the other one. Obviously, both of them have to stay healthy this year, which is so crucial for this team to reach their potential. But I'm optimistic that these two play the majority of this season together this year. Yeah, me too, man, all Right, that's going to do it for us today. Appreciate everybody for tuning in. Like I said earlier, make sure and subscribe to the Chargers channel here. Make sure and send us where they get these charge podcast channel a subscription as well, and let us know what you guys think of the comments. Who's your preseason breakout potential star candidate?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 2: What do you think of our predictions here on this show? And as always, tuned for our next episode. We're hopefully working in an interview with a high quality guest on our next show, but we'll keep you guys posted there all right. Appreciate Tyler, Appreciate Greg Kim and Ben Chernoff for producing the show today. That's gonna do it for us. We'll see you guys next time, and as always, welcome