Speaker 1: As l fifteen to ten toussed up sucks. What's Up? Guys?
Speaker 2: Welcome into a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly as we push through the dog days before we get the training camp as always, joined by Matt Money Smith and Buddy.
Speaker 1: We had a fun, lively discussion.
Speaker 2: With Lindsley and Lindsey Theory and Jeff Miller last week on the roundtable. I found it entertaining and if folks haven't listened, they should probably check it.
Speaker 3: Out one hundred percent. Got a lot of reaction to it through the social media channels, and it's always nice to get some outside perspective. Always enjoyed doing the podcast with you week in and week out, but you know, there's things we might miss and things that Lindsey and Jeff can pick up on. Of course, all the beat writers do a heck of a job and they cover the team day and day out with the stuff that's media accessible, so it was great to sort of get, you know, just some outside eyes on what they're seeing, what they think this team can do, and felt like we all sort of had a I whant to say consensus, but the same sort of feeling about what this team should look like has the capability to look like in twenty twenty three, and White Charger fans ought to be pretty excited about what's ahead here when we get things rolling. Like you said, we're in the dog days in about a month month and a half with training camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be here before you know it.
Speaker 2: And I figured during this time, you know, we've talked a lot about some of the star players. I think what we want to do the next couple of weeks is really kind of dive into a particular side of the football, and today just dig into the defense a little bit, Bunny. I know you have some trends from last year and some things.
Speaker 1: That you saw. I also want to talk about some.
Speaker 2: Guys that we haven't really talked about over the last five or six months as much that could have an impact on this rotter. Whether it be some rookies or some guys that some unherld of guys from last year, maybe some guys that they signed this pass offseason. But I think it's a nice kind of starting point for the twenty twenty three season to kind of dig into this Brandon Stanley defense in year three.
Speaker 3: Sure, I think one of the things that we haven't talked about enough, and no doubt it's because Brandon Staley calls a defense. So the departure of Rinaldo Hill and the elevation of Derek Ansley and what that's going to look like hasn't been discussed understandably nearly as much as Kellen Moore, who is going to build the offense, going to call the plays on the offense and essentially is I mean, look, Brandon Staley's going to have a hand in that. He's a former quarterback, this guy that made his bones as a player on the offensive side of the ball, So there's no doubt that he's going to be involved. But for the most part, he's got freedom to build that offense and to call that offense the way he sees fit. Defensively, Derek's going to be an extension of Brandon. He's going to be a sounding board for him. He's going to be another set of eyes that can perhaps he help him see why don't we try something this way, or let's put this player in this particular position where I think he'll excel, and that maybe's been it's been understated what kind of impact that can have. You know, some of the videos that our social media team's been putting out in our digital team and Megan and Jason and everybody shows you just like how much juice he has, how excited he is. And Lindsey made an interesting point last week about just Justin and the way he comports himself and the way he views leadership. And we know Derwin's very vocal on that sideline. We certainly know from the micd up that Sebastian, Joseph Day and Joey Bosa, they can all get after it. But there is something to be said if you have stoic players or you have a head coach that Brandon can get excited, no doubt about it. But he's a head coach and he I believe, presents himself that way most of the time on the sideline. So every now and then it's good to find some if you need juice somewhere from some of these coaches. And it appears as though Ronaldo Hill was a little bit more subdued coach. Ansley looks to be a little bit more of that that power, and at times it did feel like, particularly in the third quarters, I don't know what was going on, if it was if it was a nap, or if they had massage chairs in that locker room at halftime or what was going you know what it was. But we know the third quarters were a serious issue for this team, and so maybe getting a little bit of that juice can can help. It's it's gonna make the difference. Is it gonna get you an extra win or no? Saying it's it's something that's worth noting. As much as we pay attention to Kellen Moore and how different this offense can look, that's a much bigger impact. But I do think there there is something to be said about having a different voice, a different set of eyes that can perhaps help a unit that has got a ton of talent and for whatever reason, just has not lived up to the names on paper. Injuries, no doubt about it, But I'm talking about moments in games where we've seen this defense let down, and that's the difference between wins and losses, considering how tight the margins were in most of these charger contests. You know.
Speaker 2: But it's a great point about coaching and coaching styles, because you don't want every coach to be the same. It kind of reminds me of when Ron Milis was the defensive backs coach. When Gus was the DC coach, Milo would let these guys be themselves. They all had a different handshake with Milus and it was just kind of a looser atmosphere in the secondary. And I'm not saying every style is different. Every style works in some form or fashion, but to have Annsley bring the juice a little bit and maybe that sets the tone for some of the players on the team. We know Dirwin is vocal, and I think it was you maybe a couple of weeks ago. We don't really need any more leaders on the team, you know. We talked about Kendricks as a leader, Derwin is the heart and soul. Joey and Khalil bring leaders in their own ways, largely through their play. But I do think there's something to be said about Derek Ansley and kind of that unknown of what it is specifically that he's going to bring in coordination with Brandon Staley and third quarters were an issue. Run defense certainly an issue, and I went back to Brandon Staley's one year with the Rams and just looked at how good they were against the run. I think there were number three in the NFL. So sometimes people say this system what you know, you don't want anything to get behind you, and you know maybe that's why you know sometimes running back can get runs on you. If you have the players and you have the scheme, and you combine it and you marry it, you can do big things, especially against the run. That's one of the things I want to see what Ansley and Staley have cooked up this year. I think that they have the personnel now as we get to year three to kind of slowly gets what we saw it at the end of last year. Like those last five games. I knew the quarterbacks were an elite, but we saw them stop the run. We saw how good they were on third down, and I think that could be a nice starting point with Ansley at the helm.
Speaker 3: So you go through it from last year, and this is where the Kellen Moore conversation comes into play. It's one hand washes the other. When you look at the Chargers defense, particularly the third quarter, is what everybody's been talking about and just how bad third quarters were for this team. Well, you look at the Chargers offense by quarter and you see second quarter's total outlier second in the league, eleven point three points per game. The third quarter not necessarily an outlier because fourth quarter was almost right there with it. But third quarter points per game. So you go eleven point three in the second quarter, you feel like, hey, we carried this momentum into the half, let's build on it coming out of the break and really put our foot on the throat of our pone it. Third quarter twenty ninth in the league. Two point nine points per game for the offense. Now you look at the defense, and second quarter their highest ranking of any quarter as a defense, allowing six point eight points per game. Their third quarter as a defense the worst of all the quarters, five point seven points per game. So, like, I think it's important to recognize this is there is a connection here between these two sides of the ball that the offense and the defense works hand in hand. And if your offense is not producing and your defense is put into some bad spots because your offense is turning the ball over having multiple three and outs, things can get sideways. And that's It's something that was also brought up last week when we discussed how we felt about Brandon's play calling, about coach Day's play calling, about his schemes, about how this team seemed to have things figured out with what its opponent was trying to do offensively in the game, and it sort of cracked that code early and then it got away from them in the second halfs And I kind of just went through through a lot of different stuff. I mentioned the points per game, per quarter. I know they sound weird. It doesn't sound like it's that big of a gap, but it is when you talk about just how games play out. So when I went through every single loss and I tried to figure out, okay, what was was there? Was there a common factor? Was there a common trend in all of these losses? And for the most part, yes, in every single loss, the second halfs were a disaster, an unmitigated disaster. If I go Week two in Kansas City, They're up seventeen to seven at the break. Here's their second half offensive possessions. Punt punt, pick six, punt punt, and then they scored a TD and couldn't get the on side kick. The defense allowed just seven points in the first half, come out in the back end, touchdown, punt, field goal, punt field goal. So the defense held up the offense gave them nothing in that second half. As a matter of fact, they took seven points because they threw the pick six. Week three, Jacksonville. You remember what a mess that game was. Final scores thirty eight to ten. It was sixteen to seven at the half. It was sixteen to ten after the first possession of the third quarter, and after that punt, turnover on downs, turnover on downs. The defense goes touchdown, touchdown, touchdown, and that's how you lose thirty eight to ten. You go to Week seven, Seattle, they're only down ten. It's twenty four to fourteen at the half, and they come out in the third quarter. Punt, punt, punt, turnover on downs. It's and then you look at what Seattle does, and it's field goal, safety, field goal touchdown. These things just compile. I think it's worth going through all of them. In San Francisco second half, punt, punt, punt, turnover on downs, interception, they had fifty seven yards in the second half. They had the ball for under nine minutes. Can't expect the defense to perform when the other side of the ball is not on the field is three and out, is punting and giving their opponent good field position. Sooner or later, that damn is gonna break. Week eleven Kansas City. First half, here's your offensive possessions in the first half. Touchdown, field goal, touchdown, touchdown. That's your that's your first half. Second half punt, punt, fumble. Like it's just it's it's right in front of you.
Speaker 1: They stumble.
Speaker 3: Vegas up thirteen to ten at the half on that pick six of six of Derek Carr, second half fumble, missed field goal, punt, and it just and obviously we know what the playoff was, right up twenty seven to seven, punt, field goal, missed field goal, punt, Jacksonville touchdown, touchdown, touchdown. That's so, that's it. Even in wins, like I looked up some of the wins in Houston, they're up twenty seven to seven at the half, they come out in the third quarter, punt, punt, punt fumble that you know, it's twenty seven to twenty four in the fourth quarter and you're like, wait a minute, what just happens? Team was up twenty points. Yeah, So I bring it all up because that's why people are excited about Kellen Moore. That's why the defense can't be discussed without also bringing up the offense, because it's it is it is imperative that whatever was going on with this team to start the third quarters, it's got to come to an end. There's just got that third quarter again. Twenty ninth in the league, they averaged less than a field goal per quarter. That is less than twelve points per game, if you expand what they do in the third quarter, less than twelve points per game as an offense. So that's that's got to get fixed in order for the defense to get better and for them not to give away these games in the second half.
Speaker 2: If you just bookend the season on the road, right that Kansas City game where it was complete domination in the first half and you fall apart in the second half, and then it's the same exact story in Jacksonville, and frankly, the defense was the ones that put the offense in the position to score in the first half. If you remember, it's not they sent me a three interception when you have five turnovers in the first half. The defense, the offense didn't have to move the ball really at all in that Jacksonville game, and then in the second half they didn't move the football at all, and the defense wore down. And it was that third quarter into the fourth quarter where they look like two completely different teams. So as we say at the top, we're going to talk about defense today. To Bundy's point, Kellen Moore in the offense is just as important in terms of how the defense. You know, when your offense scores right out of the gate in the second half, right, you don't think the defense is little jacked up to get on the field and get another three and out and get your offense back on the field. So that's I think an important point that you brought up money, because that was theme throughout. I was waiting for you to get to the Seattle game because I was like, man, the way you laid that out, it was like I was in we were in Houston, Eckler had three touchdowns. They almost lost that game in Houston, like.
Speaker 3: Twenty seven to twenty four. It was twenty twenty seven twenty four. Houston had the ball.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, every every stage of the regular season this kind of reared its head. And yes, Kellen Moore in the offense, but I think the defense and anybody can say this, but when you do have the talent that the Chargers have, if they have a little bit better injury luck, things are going to be I think just fine. There's a couple of guys, buddy, that we haven't talked about that I wanted to get your thoughts on. The first is Nick Williams. And Nick Williams was in Chicago with Jay Rodgers and Brandon Staley in twenty nineteen. He essentially replaced Austin Johnson with the Giants in the starting lineup last year. When Austin came to the Chargers in twenty nineteen, he had six sacks. He played with Khalil Mack. Khalil had nine and a half that year. Nick Williams was second. He has forty two starts since twenty nineteen, and it was a signing a few weeks ago that we're like, Okay, Nick Williams, that's cool. But when you think about the defensive line and the depth that's needed because injuries are inevitable, a guy like that who knows Staley's system, who has been coached by Jay Rodgers, who you know, essentially replaced Austin Johnson in New York, that's another depth piece that is you can add essentially to this defensive line. And I haven't even mentioned guys like Tito Abonia and guys who got hurt. But Nick Williams I think is a very under the radar free agent signing. You know, Kendricks was the guy we talked about. But I think Nick Williams will contribute this year.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll be honest, Chris, I hope he doesn't. I'm just saying that because, like you said, he's a depth piece. Now he is a better depth piece when you're talking about you know what best case scenario is Tito Abonia, Austin Johnson, Sebastian Joseph Day. There's your three man rotation for those two inside tackles. Sign of Nick, though, is better than what they were faced with in the middle of the season last year, and that's trying to pluck guys off whomever was exposed on a practice squad and just trying to get them up and run. And here we are in week five. You got to figure this out. We need You're going to start this game like that's what we were looking at last year. So that's where the point you're making is, great, get some depth. Injuries are going to happen. Tito Obonia and Austin Johnson are both coming off significant injuries, and to project that they're going to play seventeen games, or they're going to be effective in seventeen games. It's crazy. So that's where Nick Williams comes in. You look at the depth chart, and I'm just looking at it right now, and it's kind of what you you know, I think you're probably a little worried about because you look behind and you see Nick, and and you see Tito behind Sebastian Joseph Daan and Austin Johnson behind that's David Moa, Jared Clark, cj Akoye. So it's it gets thin in a hurry, and that's where you hope that someone like Nick, who's thirty three, who's been in this league for a long time, who's piled up a career of one hundred and twenty five tackles, seven and a half sacks, has certainly proven in whatever role you ask of him, he's capable of going out. It's almost like a middle reliever. Can you get me some innings? Can you chew up some innings so I can give Austin Johnson, I can give Sebastian Joseph they a breather. And that's and when you mentioned coaching, that's something that is worth bringing up because I'll go, you know, I'll just go to last year and think about how well it didn't matter who it was, like, how well that you know, Fojoko played that, Merroll played that, Hinton played like Tys Shelby. Like they were bringing in guy guys that we're playing pretty darn well and not letting, you know, the games get away from you. At least they were keeping the Chargers in the game for the most part, for most of these games that they were able to either win or lose. So there is something to be said about Jay and Jay Rodgers and Brandon Staley and the way they coach these players and the way they developed these players. Tito Abonia was really coming on when he ended up getting hurt, like he was really coming on, was looking like a hell of a fine in that fourth round I think that's where they draft them in the fourth round, and looked like he was going to start earning a lot more time. We talked about Brandon Fojoko and him coming on as an undrafted free agent, how well he managed to play. So if there's one thing we can tell, it seems as though that particular position group plays pretty darn well. Under this set of coaching, under the sets of coaches that the Chargers have, and seems to play at or above their previous levels if they were at any other stops. And that's where when you bring up Nick where it's a little more encouraging that they have some depth at the start of the season and you know what someone's gonna show. You know, someone's gonna flash in training camp. You know that the the front office does a really good job of finding and tabbing these undrafted free agents. And just like we've seen with Braden Fojoco, with Forrest Merrill, with Joe Gaziano, just going through the whole defensive line, they tend to find guys. They tend to find guys that play and end up playing pretty well and make nice and end up developing nice NFL careers for themselves.
Speaker 2: Maybe Scott Medlock's that guy, the guy from Boy Yeah, who you.
Speaker 1: Know showed some promise.
Speaker 2: I think he's got some size and maybe can be one of.
Speaker 1: Those guys that six four to three hundred.
Speaker 2: He could be a rotational guy potentially. The one thing about Tito and Austin Johnson, I think silver linings to injuries. It happened earlier in the year. So Austin Johnson got hurt in the Atlanta game, Tito got hurt in the forty nine Ers game. So you hope those guys are ready to go for training camp. Tito, I went back. I interviewed him right after he was drafted money, and I listened back to it because I kind of forgot the conversation. He went to the local pro day because he's from UCLA, and he hit it off with the Chargers and he said he knew he kind of knew that the Chargers were the team that he was going to go to. And in terms of what he said he was going to provide to the team, he said, first and foremost, improved the rush defense and secondly, collapse pockets for Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack. And to your point, we saw that, I mean we saw him coming on. And he's another guy, almost like a red shirt rookie this year who I think fans will be very excited to see in this rotation. I think he had one year as a starter at UCLA, but he was there for a while, just a powerful dude. And I think the season is so long you kind of forget moments throughout the year, and I think Tito was maybe a little forgotten about because of his injury. But he's coming back and I think he's gonna be an impactful player.
Speaker 3: You look at the rush numbers, and we all know they were terrible. One hundred and forty four yards per game. Teams rushed twenty seven times per game and they would have seven rushes for first downs. That can't have that. Just that that's something that needs to be fixed. They were dead last allowing five point four rush yards per attempt and they were twenty third and percentage of rush plays against them, which tells you teams came in and said we're gonna run the ball, and what Coach Staley will tell you is that's fine that they believe. And I do think this is where philosophy and scheme comes into play. Is it's the philosophy. I don't want to put words in his mouth and have him come on and tell us himself, but my interpretation of the way they approach is no explosive place. Happy to give up for four yards on the ground. See if we can get a negative play in there on second down, rush the passer on third down. One thing we can't do is give up that twenty yard explosive passing play, that thirty yard that get over your head touch. That's the one thing they will not allow. Unfortunately, what became a bit of a signature for this defense was explosive runs. No defense allowed more explosive runs than the Chargers. So while I understand you don't want the thirty yard pass play or the fifty yard bomb for a touchdown, you also don't want the forty yard run, the seventy yard run from Kenneth Walker. The amy might be of who was exactly ho Dame. That's what I was thinking about Pierson Houston for seventy five yards. There were way too many of those, So I'm curious. I shouldn't say it's not anxious. I'm curious to see how they fix that. Because it's one thing to give up the four yards per carry, the four and a half yards per carry. That doesn't look great. The problem is all of those explosive runs, which negate the philosophy of no explosive plays in the passing game. Don't let the ball get over your head. Well, it doesn't matter if the running back gets to the edge and rips one off like Pierce did for seventy five yards in a game that's getting away from you. We went through it, you know, the punt punt fumble, you're up twenty seven to seven. It's a twenty seven to twenty four game, and Houston's got the ball in the fourth quarter. That's what they were faced with before they scored a touchdown in their last possession to go up thirty four to twenty four. So that's something I'm anxious to see again. There I am with anxious curious to see how they adjust and that that could be. I know I defended them when it came up the other day. But maybe that's why Arit Kendricks is here and Drew trankwill is not here. That's his responsibility as the play caller or the man that's relaying the play calls and making sure everybody gets set up in their right spots. That then perhaps the idea is that Eric Kendris can do a better job of that. To prevent, to make sure the edge is set, to make sure the linebackers are in their lanes, to make sure the corners know where they're supposed to be, and to get corners that can tackle to get corners that can make those tackles. Far too often we saw safeties and corners. It's one of the big issues with JT. Woods last year. There were a couple runs that were on him when he was out there, just bad angles or misdiagnosed. Kenneth Murray, I know, had some serious issues in diagnosing runs and trying to figure out where he was supposed to be. And that's probably why I think of all the issues, my guess is that's probably number one on the list of why that fifty year option was not picked up. Is he really struggled to find the right lane and really struggled to diagnose run and get that first step and not be a step slow, but be a step quick and trying to make those plays.
Speaker 2: Bunny, we've routinely said this, it takes all three levels to stop the run, and you've routinely said this, Joey Bosa is perhaps the best all around defensive end of football. Do you think that Damian Pierce seventy five yard run happens if Bosa's on the field, or you know some of these like huge runs throughout the course here where Joey wasn't on the field, So right.
Speaker 1: I think that that's going to make a big difference too.
Speaker 2: And it's it's very easy to say it's it's you know, call it an excuse, Oh, Joey wasn't on the field, but it's true. Joey was not on the field for a lot of these big runs throughout the course of the season.
Speaker 3: And Joey, it's a great point, Chris's they ran right at Kyle van Noy for all of the celebration we had of Kyle, and he really came along toward the end of the year. And his sack numbers and his past his pressure numbers, he was a busy against the run for a good stretch. And look, he was playing a position that he didn't think he was going to play. And there's a lot of rules. Lindsay brought this up last week. It'd say, very complicated defense. There are a lot of rules for what you're supposed to do. And we know even the first year that Brandon Staley was your joy was not entirely comfortable. He was not comfortable with this defense and he was not happy, and you know, and then he settled in and he figured out, and he got a lot more comfortable and got into that rhythm and so you're you're absolutely right, because I know I've said it on the podcast before, but you know, I remember listening to when my daughter was playing lacrosse. They would say, where's the Cheetoh and that was the name of the person that they were going to take advantage of. Okay, that person can't play offense. We could ignore them, so we can double and triple over here, or you know, hey, there's the Cheetoh on defense. That's where you're attacking every time. And it's every sport is exactly the same way, you know, whatever you want to call it. The cheetoh or that's what they're looking for. And they ran right at Kenneth Murray, and they ran right at Kyle van Noy repeatedly, and that's all it takes. It's just like an offensive line. You could have the best left tackle in the world, but if your right tackle is not league average or at least serviceable, you're host. You are completely hosed. We saw it in that first game that Forrest Serel got into nothing against him. He just wasn't. He's got a lot better through the course of the year, and that's why they brought him back because he's a developmental prospect. He's got to continue to develop. And they just came ran right over him, ran right over him the entire game. That's what they'll do. So that's where the whole Bosa being on the field, along with Khalil Mack, who is probably the best run edge defender in the league. Khalil Mack is exceptional at defending the run as an edge player. Jadavian Clowney another one exceptional at defending the run as an edge player, Joey Bosas. So when you have two of the best we can set the edge and you're not getting around us guys, then that certainly helps out a lot more.
Speaker 1: A couple of other guys I want to mention. We'll move on.
Speaker 2: Morgan Fox had twelve starts last year, really picked this defense up when they needed it. Towards the end of the year, he had six and a half sacks career high. Four came in the last five games. And these two rookies I want to talk about too. Money Tully to below two from USC. He's only twenty years old. The coaches say he's wise beyond his years. Thirteen and a half sacks at USC last year, twenty two tackles for loss and your buddy Lance zero line rare a lineman versatility for every defensive front. That's music that should be music to Chargers fanciers. He can play across the line. He's another guy who I think will be that third or fourth edge rusher but also provide help up front. And then Diane Henley, this is a guy who maybe is a little bit rang because he hasn't played the linebacker position that many years, but he's all over the field and this could be another player who you see more often than not as far as the linebacking position and that unit is concerned money. Do you think it's a little thin behind Kendricks and Murray with with Henley there as a rookie and you know, I know Amon's there, and you know Nick Neeman didn't really get much run on defense last year. He's been great on special teams. But it could be a position where I think they could add a guy.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's a non premium position in this In this defense, a lot of times there's only one guy out there and it's the extra. They're playing a lot of dime. They're playing that dollar, you know, safety role. So That's why it doesn't concern me as much. What really it's it's really going to come down to how good is Kendricks, how how good is he going to play? And in the hope that that Kenneth Murray can we say it all the time, can live up to what we know capable of doing physically and athletically. He's a complete freak of a physical football player. It's just trying and maybe that's where the Eric Kendrick's decision came in as well, just communication and making sure that Kenneth is is in the best spot to have him succeed. So that's I'm with you. I think Dan can could end an absolutely could absolutely make an impact. He is he, like you said, just started from Nevada to Washington State and moving to the linebacker position, and just how little time he had at that position to the impact that he made suggests that, yes, this is an ascending player, someone who is gifted athletically, physically, plays with a butt ton of energy and an aggressiveness and violence and probably just needs to learn the position. And again going to what we've said repeatedly, it's a good coaching staff. They develop players very well, so certainly he's have to play.
Speaker 1: I would assume.
Speaker 3: I think Nick Neeman's been on the team long enough for us to know he's one of the best special teams players in the league. Maybe not a linebacker that you want out there a whole lot. Same thing with Aimen, great special teams player, not quite sure he's a rotational player. So Dan's the latest person that that's gonna try to fill in at that depth. Tully Polo two is Twey Polo two is the more important one. He's got to be the third edge rusher and he's got to be effective. It's what they thought Chris Rump was gonna be last year and just didn't quite materialize. Again. Exceptional special teams player, solid give you give, give your starter a breather. Maybe plays a series, maybe half a series, couple plays Tooley's got to be that guy that can can play a hole, can play multiple series. Hey, this is your series in the first quarter, this is in the first half. Here's your series in the second half. You're gonna Gi Khalil a blow. Here, You're gonna give Joey a blow there. You need to be effective, so that's Hey, we're gonna kick Joey inside and you're gonna play outside of him. We're gonna put you both on the same side of the like, that's what Tuley, That's what Tooley's got to be. Yep, So that's to me, that's the much more important one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you and you know ed Morgan Fox that mix who was kind of you know, he can he can.
Speaker 1: You can move him around.
Speaker 2: Like I said, six and a half sacks last year. The secondary money we've talked I think maybe the most of every all three levels of the defense. We talked about the secondary of the most because of the intrigue behind J. C. Jackson being ready for training camp and potentially for the beginning of the season, the way I Sante Samuel closed the year, especially in Jacksonville with there's three interceptions. What Derwin's capable of when he actually has healthy bodies around him, how you can move him around?
Speaker 1: Is there anything else? J? T.
Speaker 2: Woods obviously is another guy we've talked about who has to step up. Jalil I thought was great breaking down Alohi Gilman a few weeks ago and just what al he brings to the secondary, his steady presence. Is there anything else Michael Davis, any other players that you're looking forward to seeing that maybe can help in terms of depth. You know, obviously we've mentioned the name Bryce Callahan and John Johnson, two guys who are still out there. Perhaps they get signed by the Chargers at some point.
Speaker 3: I think Jaw's going to be that guy, the depth guy. You know. Ultimately it comes down to the health of jac Jackson, and it feels like he's going to be ready. That Jac is going to be ready, and that's going to help a lot having him, and especially if he's another if he's actually comfortable in the system, or if the system can be adjusted to take advantage of his strengths and not ask him to change his stripes and just stick him on. Someone say that's your guy here at week one, JC, you got Tyreek Hill, just stick get up on the line, physically punish him and let's go. It's a big ask, but you know what I'm getting at, Like that's so anxious to see or is he more comfortable and he now is comfortable with the rules and all the different things he's got to adjust to in a system that he's not used to playing so in the secondary and I just mention that because of Jossier Taylor. Right, So, now if you want to get physical in that slot. Now you're talking about three really big corners going back to that that rush defense. If then the nickel you got Joss here in his size and Mikey Davis on one one side and j. C. Jackson on the other, you've got three really big corners that can tackle and that can help change the calculus of that run defense and being effective. And I think outside of that, I'm just gonna bring up two lee again because just in vision and this is sounds great. Whether or not it's effective, I can't say, but just imagine on an obvious passing down to have Joey Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, Sebastian, Joseph Day, Morgan Fox and Tulle Tuipolo two. That's what's That's what's on that line. To me, that's what Brandon Staley is envisioning. And by the way, behind them, you've got Eric Hendricks, Derwin James, j C. Jackson, Mikey Davis. Like that's what we're talking about. When this team can be healthy, when you have that kind of talent on the defensive line, that's going to create pressure that in turn creates opportunities for JC and Derwin and Mikey to create turnovers. Eric Kendricks, who's got good hands and has interceptions in his career. That's what we're talking about. That's how this offense, that's how this defense is going to make its impact with pass rush when you have That's why I was really surprised that Morgan Fox came back. I thought for sure he was going to have a ton of money out there. It's hard to find effective pass rushers on the interior of the line, but that's what you can do. Now you can stack Morgan Fox and Joey Bosa. You can stack Bosa and Khalil, you can you can stack boson Tully. That's where you get your advantage. You can double everybody. So it's all about taking advantage of single coverage of I'm being I've got a one on one. Khalil and Joey can't both be doubled. If they're on the same side. One of them's got a one on one. You go to the other side, chances are they're doubling one of those two guys. So now you've got one on ones from Morgan Fox, Sebastian, Joseph Day and Tooley two Polo two all on one side of the line. Like, that's that's what we're getting at.
Speaker 1: More options than the playbook. Man.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Derwin on the edge that was something that we would have seen a lot more in twenty twenty two headed up in for the injuries, and I agree with you Tooley is is probably the one rookie that is going to have to produce the most. You know, Quentin Johnson, of course we've talked about, but Tuley's going to have to be that guy. I think on defense, if they.
Speaker 3: Want things a little bit more of a luxury, right, it's you've got Mike, You've got Keenan. Now they weren't healthy last year together, but let's just project health. You know, project these guys are going to be healthy for the majority of the season and not miss eight or ten games. And that's a luxury. You're fine. If you've got Josh Palmer and Mike Williams and Keenan Allen with Justin Herbert throwing the ball, you're gonna be fine. Quentin Johnson, of course, takes it to another level. If you've got Johnson out there, with Mike and with Keenan, especially in red zone packages and stuff like that. Good luck, but Tuley's got to have that's good. That has to work, has to work.
Speaker 2: Money as we get out of here, I think the biggest takeaway from today's podcast is Kellen Moore's offense is going to impact Brandon Staley's defense.
Speaker 1: As much as anything.
Speaker 2: And you brought up that third quarter fans, I suggest do what Money was saying, go back and look at the second half of these games and how they lost the games and how strong they came out in a majority of these games against really good teams, and how it looks so different in the second half, and what the what what they have done in the intel that they've gathered in an effort to remedy that that's going to be the difference in twenty twenty three, no doubt.
Speaker 3: It's not just fixing the defense, it's not just fixing the offense. It's getting them to compliment one another. It's complimentary football. That's what it's all about. Touchdowns, not that field goals Like I go through. I'll wrap it with this, Chris. The second half points they averaged eight points, sixteen points per day, twenty eighth in the league. The only teams that were worse. Think about these offenses Tennessee, the Rams, Pittsburgh and Denver. Those were terrible offenses last I mean terrible offenses last year. The Rams, it was a complete loss with everybody getting hurt, including Matthew Stafford. Tennessee was a complete failure of an offense. Remember they had Malik Willis out there. They could not run the ball, they got rid of aj Brown had zero, didn't even have a number three wide receiver out there, let alone a two or a one. Pittsburgh was still playing just protect the ball, don't get into trouble, Kennedy, dink and dunk, and let's let our defense try to win us some games to get into the tournament. And of course Denver, we know was historically bad considering how dominant their defense was. So that's how bad the second halves were for the Chargers and why they need to be so much better in that third quarter, second quarter eleven point three points per game, or points per quarter eleven point three, third quarter two point nine. It's just that's it.
Speaker 1: It's all right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, hey, we hope we're bringing you good content during the Dog Days. If you're listening to the podcast on June twenty ninth, you're a diehard Charger than a weirdo. Yeah, yeah, and we appreciate you, you weirdos.
Speaker 1: I love the weirdos. Chargers Weekly. Weird that's what we say, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Hey, we couldn't resist talking about Kellen Moore and the Chargers offense on the Defense podcast. We'll talk about Kellen Moore in the offense next week and really dive into what Kellen Moore is all about and all the weapons that he has at his disposal with Justin Herbert at the.
Speaker 1: Trolls for bat Money Smith, I'm Chris Hayry. This has been charges with
Speaker 2: M