Speaker 1: Welcome to J dot M, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: What's Up?
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 2: What it is, baby, This is what it is. This is what it sounds like right now.
Speaker 4: Okay, Hi everybody, welcome to J dot L the Podcast.
Speaker 2: You know, I am here with my seas dot I'm talking about age A Graydon Donsla Pleasant, an accountant for Eliah Saint Clair.
Speaker 5: I'm here. What's up?
Speaker 2: We we are here.
Speaker 4: I'm Jill Scott and we have this awesome privilege. We actually have a super fan of our little bit a little shell. You know, you know, I tended to move away when people say little. I like your little car, I like your little house, you know, a little.
Speaker 2: Stay on the show. I like a little show.
Speaker 4: But really we have a super fan of our our sweet loving show, J dot IL the podcast. Yes, always got something to say, always a reaction to everything that we're doing and talking about a full analysis, that's right, aga, you know, actually listening to the podcast, listening to our thoughts and our confusion and us getting it together and you know all the things.
Speaker 2: Appreciate that so much. I just saw your bio which is Ill Royce.
Speaker 4: Okay, Ill, okay, this is Royce Hall okay, and now I want to say your name right because it's so beautiful and catch.
Speaker 2: Me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 4: Chen Yelu ali Mayu. Actually, oh, it's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's like a beauty for melody.
Speaker 4: Voyce Hall Chinelu Ali Mayu is a genre bending afro futuristic black liberation, soul, funk, hip hop music recording artists, multi instrumentalist, arranger, composer, MC, vocalist, actor, photographer, sketch artist, keynote speaker, and alum of Florida A and M University.
Speaker 2: Okay, fam you I mean goodness.
Speaker 4: Just to know that we have somebody listening that has this broad scope of existing is just so fantastic.
Speaker 5: Channy be busy, So that's nice. As you find the time, that's nice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you just love you know, I'm so, I'm just about to be a jump.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is our pleasure. Wow. So so are you you're based in the South?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm here in Atlanta. Yeah, from Sautisbury, Maryland. But I grew up in tell I c. And moved to Atlanta.
Speaker 6: Like you know, most of us ratings do we spend our time in tilling we moved to Atlanta or Houston.
Speaker 2: So here in how's Atlanta treating you?
Speaker 7: Has been good? I enjoy it.
Speaker 6: It's a lot different, a lot different than when I first moved here. There's been a lot of changes, but overall it's still still good to me.
Speaker 7: So we're gonna rock and roll for a little while.
Speaker 4: Longer, beautiful Atlanta and I we we do okay, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We do all right. And when I when they get a chance to go, we do well.
Speaker 6: I'll say, come on, next time you come, I will definitely make sure that you have, you know, a fruitful Atlanta experience.
Speaker 7: Give me something new to take back with you.
Speaker 8: I would definitely appreciate that. Royce means that because like you got one of your jobs, didn't one of your jobs? Have you doing that for aga in a way? Like it's weak y'all?
Speaker 7: The AGEA on the thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're actually supposed to see each other later on in this month. I'm gonna be get in Atlanta performing. But of course, you know, we met face to face for the first time in Atlanta when I went down there for a gig, and you know, we just wrapped about the podcast about life in general and just you know, really kind of bonded. So I really it was like, it was such a cool opportunity to meet up with somebody who really listens to the podcast, who really listens listens to the podcast, you know what I'm saying. But you know now that we have voys here and we're like, Okay, Rays is a super fans He's been down since day one. He's a day one podcast listener. I just would be curious to know, like, what were your expectations like when you first came to a podcast, You're like, yo, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Listen to this, Like what did you think you were gonna get? And then like what did you get get?
Speaker 7: Initially? Initially?
Speaker 6: And I think I told you this Initially I thought, you know, okay, we got this platform. Or the first episode, no, Lie, I sat so still, I held my breath. I was like, all right, let me see. In the first episode, I was like, all right, lovely. Second episode, I was like, all right, I'm in third episode. I mean, but my first thing was my questions were surrounding if it was an inclusive space, would there be some intersectionality for somebody like me who can relate to all of you on several I mean, immense levels from various points of identity.
Speaker 7: But also you know, if it would be an.
Speaker 6: Affirming space as it related to the subjects, the topics, how different identities are spoken of, And so once I heard episodes that led into that, I was like, you know what, I'm settling.
Speaker 7: I'm sitting and I'm gonna just ride with this.
Speaker 5: And I'm curious, when did he realize that.
Speaker 7: I think it was around maybe the It was definitely season one.
Speaker 6: It was well within maybe the first I would in like four four episodes.
Speaker 7: I can't remember the episode.
Speaker 6: Exactly, but there was one where somebody touched on the different type of listeners that you all would have and just acknowledging the broad spectrum of people that you reach and not limiting that to maybe just what you're used to on the day to day or your closeness circle, but just actually extending that type of compassion willing to connect with other people. That was just very important to me. Of course, already being familiar with you all that was of course, that was a general thing, but just to hear that in this type.
Speaker 7: Of space was very refreshing.
Speaker 4: I'll just speak for myself right now, like I really do want to understand. I want to understand, Like there's you know, I hate to sound poetic, geez, but you know there's so many flowers in the garden, you know, there's It's just the list is so complex, you know, it's not just the simple daffodil or rose or lily. It's these wonderful combinations of creation, you know, and like just trying to grasp it. And we're moving in a direction, definitely, and I just mean the world, like we're moving in a direction where we really could have the whole rainbow community.
Speaker 2: We're really could.
Speaker 4: It's right there. It is right there. It's like love is the answer to the questions, period.
Speaker 7: It is absolutely well.
Speaker 6: I think Agan I was talking about liberation as well. Get ourselves free from upholding those that are actually quite oppressive and limiting. We can extend that to other people and just exists together as opposed to imposing or impeding or projecting those limitations on other people because.
Speaker 7: They've been placed on us.
Speaker 6: And we just learned how to exist within and of ourselves and our truth and our beauty and all.
Speaker 7: Our different levels and layers.
Speaker 6: It'll be absolutely just beautiful when we look at the variations that surround us every day, because then we can we can see the landscape that we're living on with just like a clear rot, like I'm standing in divine energy, You're standing in divine energy. Once we realize that we're all created on purpose and in purpose to be actual individuals, like how boring would.
Speaker 7: God or gods being just to say I'm just made carbon copies? It would just be absolutely boring.
Speaker 8: So I feel like, too, what I don't know this journey that we've been doing on this podcast too, we've we've also been allowed to make mistakes and we've also been allowed to learn. And as I was listening to Roy speaking, I was like, yeah, there's been a moment.
Speaker 5: There was a moment moments.
Speaker 8: On this podcast where maybe Asia or Jill, one of us had to say, hey, listen, don't forget about this community.
Speaker 5: Don't let's not forget.
Speaker 8: And with that, I always say, you know, we have to allow each other patience in that moment for other people, because everybody doesn't always. But if there is a moment where we can say, hey, don't forget and then you say you know right, and.
Speaker 7: You are right. And I've heard that, and I think it just makes me feel so warm.
Speaker 6: We're not heard that when you show, because it's the consideration, it's the care.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, you know, when we started this entire venture with the podcast, you know.
Speaker 7: We really wanted to speak our truth.
Speaker 1: And in speaking our truth, you know, it obviously was a place that we wanted everyone to kind of have an opportunity to hear and feel themselves. So to hear any person who listened to the podcast feel as if that they were safe enough to be themselves and their fullness of themselves are listening and feeling and hearing themselves in our experience is exactly I think what we all wanted. And when I first got to know you know, voice and hearing his story, it made me happy to feel that a trans man felt very much at home in the space where we were because unfortunately, out here we're gen xers, we don't always understand or know, you know, how to you know, I mean, you know how to behave or how to just live and be in community with people. And I think so much of the so much of the propaganda has made it really difficult to be in community because it tells you that it got to be this way or that way, when it's just about just being present and being thoughtful and listening and just and so like being in community is actually not as difficult as people make it seem. And so I think that in what we tried to do here, that was that was where the heart was. So to feel that people that that that there was a space where people felt the heart, and that that that was a great place to start. The rest of it is things you can learn, but your heart got to be in the right place first, come on. So I think that that's always the big issue with us, and then particularly in this generation, but I mean across generations, but particularly in the generation as people start fussing and carrying on about pronouns and this and that and YadA YadA YadA. Before that's the advanced class, Before y'all get to that, you got to get your heart right.
Speaker 2: Right, Where is your heart?
Speaker 5: Where is this?
Speaker 1: You know, where is the space that says that a person other black people feel in community with you. You can't say that you love black people if other black people don't feel safe in community with you.
Speaker 5: Hm. You remember that, Royce, That's what I feel like.
Speaker 8: I remember you're telling us that you're like, well, what of y'all, we gotta think about this in a whole holistic way of all black people, and we wanted to say space for.
Speaker 2: Black folks, period, period. More real talk after the break.
Speaker 1: Honestly, this late in the season, to have an opportunity to talk to you really does kind of like to me feel a full circle moment because we've opened up ourselves in so many ways this on this podcast, you know, and you know, and at the end of the day, I don't want to pretend like we did some great thing. We just simply surrendered ourselves to what it means to love each other.
Speaker 7: And that is is aal act.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a radical act within itself, but it's what you should do, y'all.
Speaker 5: Know, y'all know how your mama.
Speaker 1: Said, you want me to throw a prey for you? You want me to give you a cookie for being for acting the way you suppose that.
Speaker 5: He's also a good album title.
Speaker 1: But yes, yeah, you know, but we're not asking for a cookie. We're just simply saying thank you for receiving what it was the intention of what we're trying to put out.
Speaker 4: Yes, ma'am, absolutely keep learning so much all the time, and it's it's revolution. You know, that's a big word on a thing, but that's how I feel.
Speaker 2: Often.
Speaker 4: There are days when we have these podcasts, Royce, and I feel like somebody has just taken their hands and grabbed the center of my forehead and just started pulling, started pulling apart.
Speaker 2: And and that's what it can feel like.
Speaker 4: You know, we are we are very much well, I'll I'll say, I'm very much your auntie.
Speaker 2: You know, how old are you? Is that okay to ask? Is that rude? I don't know, no, no, no. I just was impressed that you called yourself an auntie.
Speaker 8: I've been calling myself that's me, right, Yeah, that's I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: That's why Blaya's younger than us. She just not She's not.
Speaker 8: Asia is younger than me, but that's okay, not even Asian, I just a couple years apart.
Speaker 2: I'm an auntie. I got if nobody else on here is the mind.
Speaker 8: I am embrace my auntie, especially as I speak to more of like my sisters from the continent, and.
Speaker 5: I realized that auntie is an honor. I'm getting there. I'm getting there. I'm getting there.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I fully embrace ont but I love that come on, because we're talking about full millennial oldness.
Speaker 5: Okay, yes, the oldest side of millennial.
Speaker 1: Is okay, voice is giving us you know, full on like elder millennial energy.
Speaker 7: Year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not talking to a baby.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My mixtape was on a Cussett. So just just.
Speaker 4: So grateful to have you here and this, you know, super fanning of it all. Like, thank you so much for listening and being involved and speaking up. And when I say speaking up, I just mean commenting from a very genuine place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, commenting in life. Thank you.
Speaker 4: It's helpful for us, Yes, because like they just said, we're we're just doing one our hearts I most command us to do.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm good with it. I'm really good with it. So speaking of hearts, Royce Tall, what's on your heart.
Speaker 6: Really is just the beauty and the liberation of just showing up for self, because that's the foundation. But then the way I show for myself and how that extends into community. I think that oftentimes there's so many limitations that are placed on us early on.
Speaker 7: I often think about.
Speaker 6: How just open and brave and courageous and just hungry most of us are definitely me how I was as a child. You know, I didn't care if the tree was too big. I would attempt to climb, even if I fell out. I didn't care if you know, somebody talked about the clothing or your hair or whatever. I think especially toddlers, or that those early years before anything is put.
Speaker 7: Into your mind, disappointment, discouragement, all of those.
Speaker 6: Things, we are so open to just living and experiencing. And so lately I've just been reflecting on just my child self and showing up with that bravery of my child self so that I can pour that into other people. I can share that with other people and it and not even be a forceful thing. To just stand in my total existence, my total fullness. And I think that once, when I'm in that space of reflecting that type of energy, I'm able to birth something that is just naturally a part of my mission that we can all share. It's not about living up to the expectations that are inhumanly pushed on us.
Speaker 7: It's just about being myself. That's it.
Speaker 4: I'm just letting it why all over that feels so good, showing up for yourself and acknowledging that everything is not always going to be right. Or perfect or because we're human beings and we're living life, you know, but honoring yourself and remembering your inner child, because yeah, we were fearless and when something was funny, we left, you know what I mean, as loud as we wanted. We played for no reason. Like just recalling those things and trying to not trying, but just actively.
Speaker 7: Allowing exactly the breaking the breaking free really all.
Speaker 6: About making other people comfortable because somebody made them feel uncomfortable because of them being in their foods.
Speaker 7: And it's just cycle is a cycle.
Speaker 6: And once we're able to break those shackles of what's been imposed upon us, you know, you feel different, you breathe different, Those expectations don't matter, you know. And like you said, we're human beings, so not only are human beings, but where human beings having a spiritual experience, and that spirit is not meant to be bound or put in any sort of box, you know.
Speaker 7: And we we hurt ourselves so much.
Speaker 6: Just trying to fit into that box of acceptance and being liked.
Speaker 7: And you know, yeah, you want love, but the only way to give love, I.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't want somebody to be around me all day, every day, period and they feel as though the only way I can be in your space.
Speaker 7: Is if I live by some beliefs. Somebody doesn't even matter, you know, it's I want you to be in your fullness around me.
Speaker 1: You know what I have to tell you that what you said is the culmination of so much that that's been on my heart, lady, and I feel so grateful to hear that, because one thing that that I've come to understand within my own life is that, you know, we talk about these subjects out in the abstract. Right When my daughter spoke on this, she said, people get all upset about what they will or will not call a transperson when they don't even know a trans person. We get all upset out into this abstract of things that we're not really thinking about exactly what the life experience is. And one of the things that I'm coming to understand is that you can't serve a person unless you listen and know a person, unless you listen to what it is their actual needs are. So much of what we identify ourselves as are things that are given to us so that people can decide what we get.
Speaker 7: You're this, and so because.
Speaker 1: You're this, you get this and because you're this, you don't get this, And I think so much of that has caused us to live lives that are all based on I need to know what this is so I can decide what you're gonna not get or what you're gonna get to me, rather than actually listen to what a person's needs are. If you don't have a box to put someone in, you can't decide it for them. They have to decide it for themselves. Then they have to articulate it, and then you have to listen exactly, and that process, that process is lost on us in so many ways. And as a black woman and living that experience in this country, in this world, I understand that I need to know myself and articulate my needs.
Speaker 2: I don't want anyone to.
Speaker 1: Decide what it is I'm worthy of based on what they think those particular identities mean to them. That I refuse and none of us wants that. I'll take it back, and I hope I'm saying this right. I take it back to Kuji changing Legia right to Kwanza.
Speaker 7: Yes, we must define.
Speaker 2: Ourselves for ourselves.
Speaker 7: We have to define ourselves for ourselves.
Speaker 1: If we do not do that, someone else will define us for us, and we already know what happens when that happens. We already know the disaster that we're looking at when that happens. You know what I'm saying, I'm full of love in this moment. And like I said today, I had a challenging day and so it's testing me into like in a lot of ways mentally, but I will have to say this that my heart is full because in this place and in this space, this podcast, I've been able to define myself in ways that I've never been able to do my entire career with people who know me for my music or know me you know, X, Y and Z. I've also been able to define myself with people have no idea who I am, who came to this podcast only because they saw that it was Jill Scott, And they have come to me and say, hey, I didn't know who you were, and I've been able to understand and get to know you through this process. So I think, you know, even as we interact with all these outside things and we talk about, oh, the social media is this or social media's dad or dah dah da da dah, we have this opportunity to use these spaces and platforms to also define ourselves and get to know ourselves and to open ourselves up and to receive the stories of others. And so that's that's a blessing. I think of this particular moment, So y'all forgive me if I ran to a little bit.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, that was beautiful.
Speaker 8: I mean, you also kind of defined why we kind of invited Royce to this show, because I think that he just you are a combination of all the things, and the first thing, you've been with us since the beginning you've been writing, you know what I mean, and the fact that you have listened to all of these different subjects and topics and been like, I see me there, I see me there, and I see me there, and I'm going to articulate to you, you guys, how I see myself. Like, please follow Royce on Twitter. At the very least, it's been fulfilling a full circle. I feel you, Asia, Like I just I don't know, I feel fair by this moment.
Speaker 7: Just didn't having this conversation.
Speaker 8: With Roy's too, because it feels good to know that, like, these conversations mean something to somebody and they start things. They start conversations, as Jill says, all the time, we are really we are starting conversations. We are maybe changing people's minds, slowing them down a little bit back, getting off your mountaintop and come down here and open your mind and ask questions and think like the rest of us.
Speaker 7: And it's just so organically intersectional. Like I feel, and I feel comfortable in seeing myself in so many things that you will talk about.
Speaker 6: I didn't feel as though, ooh, I kind of want to comment that I can relate to that, but ooh, I don't want to. I don't want anything to be erased or dismissed on disregarding about who I am. You know, I feel like my my levels and my layers are in a safe space with this podcast, Like that's so important.
Speaker 7: It's because that is.
Speaker 6: That's that's so non negotiable when we look at like community work, when we look at organizing, when we look at building for real nation building, you know what I mean, Like where we can actually respect our variations which sometimes aren't even like differences, it's just variations of how we stand and being alive and existing, you know, And can we get j I el like.
Speaker 7: Blasted through like the hotel shit in the West End, because those.
Speaker 6: Like certain spaces, you know, treat blackness.
Speaker 7: In particular like it's a social club.
Speaker 6: If you don't meet this expectation, you can't be down with revolution.
Speaker 7: If you don't meet this expectation, you can't be down with revolution.
Speaker 6: And when we look at what it means to have a true community, it's so many of us.
Speaker 7: That's what makes it beautiful and.
Speaker 6: Strong and and allows it to flourish and foster actually growing because we allow all of us to take up space without feeling like we're stealing space, like you're safe here.
Speaker 8: Woo woo woo.
Speaker 1: Say it one more time, taking up space without saying that I'm stealing space, because that right there, whoa nellie, whoa no. I had a conversation with this beautiful brother a few days ago, was doing my makeup, a gay black brother, and he was telling me that he was having this debate with his best friend back and forth about he's a little older than me and all of this new stuff and all of this you know, blah blah blah blah, and like really really kind of buying into a lot of propaganda, right and so, and this is a black gay man.
Speaker 2: So a lot of times you do see like people from.
Speaker 1: The community being used in certain ways, you know, to spill certain propaganda. But anyway, by line was we were talking and I said to him, you know, listen to your best friend, because what we talk about in this moment, or what we're talking about in this moment is not It's easy to not erase when you're in community with people. When you're in the same you know, it's like when you're a kid, you're just a kid's playing, right, you don't have to announce yourself, right, But when you're in when you are out into the greater parts of the world, and you have to take up space in places and spaces that maybe you haven't been on, where people don't know who you are, where people don't just love you just for the sake of love you. You have to be able. You have to be able to count on those in community with.
Speaker 2: You to ride.
Speaker 5: You got to count on them to.
Speaker 1: Tell you that, hey, like, you have a right to announce yourself in any space you come into so that you can recreate that same kind of love that you feel when you're in your safe spaces, when you're in community with others. And it's like that and that we're counting on each other. We're counting on each other. So we have to fix it between us so that when we go out into the real enemy lines, that we are really actually holding the line for one another. We can't do it if we don't have it in the inside, you know, And the inside gotta be tight.
Speaker 7: I got six kids.
Speaker 1: Okay, what mother who with a bunch of kids ain't set them around one day?
Speaker 7: Is like, listen, y'all can argue all y'all want to.
Speaker 1: You understand I'm saying, But when it's time to ride, it's time to mother.
Speaker 7: F and ride. We ride.
Speaker 1: Okay, somebody that's with one of us, they messing with all of us. You gonna argue about where you different when we get home.
Speaker 5: That's why want black people to really be I can't wait for us to all. That's that's the dream. That's the dream. Like that's it right there.
Speaker 8: Aging we ride is we ride, we ride, and that's what we do here, Dada, We ride, you know, And.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter, it doesn't matter the reason why you get there. Just go shit, it doesn't matter. Everything else is too damn exhausting. I love to feel rejuvenated. I love to feel alive in myself.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: That's wonderful. Pretending is exhaust you know. I had a moment, you know, sidebar. I had a moment on stage not too long ago, and I was like, I know, I'm tired, and I should be like I just had one last night and the whole other city, and now I'm here.
Speaker 2: I feel like I got the right to be tired.
Speaker 4: And that show was, you know, it went on for about two and a half hours, you know, and then we rode for about seven hours on the bus and now we're here, and I was like, yeah, but there's no need for me to just continue with the template.
Speaker 2: There's no need.
Speaker 4: I don't This is my house, this is my space. I don't need to do that. I can. You know, there is a template because we all obviously have to rehearse. But in this moment right now, I'm gonna let y'all know how I feel.
Speaker 2: That's how I feel. Let me just slide on in here, you know.
Speaker 4: And then the whole room shifted, everything shifted, you know, and it taught me, you know, another valuable lesson. Always it's like that it's better to be in your to be in the room, you know, to be in here, rather than you know, to just be in you know, just to be in the space, but to actually have your energy and your spirit alive and emoting energy is way better than anything else.
Speaker 2: I prefer it, you know, but easily.
Speaker 4: Because you get tired, because you get stressed, get used to it. You can follow right in line with what was. This is a new world we're experiencing, and it can be very exciting and very loving. What I know is that I like who I like, Just like when we were kids, you see somebody across the room like.
Speaker 1: Up, like we're about to play.
Speaker 4: We're all don't play like that that level of excitement just because you know you are we best.
Speaker 2: Friends now, you know what I mean? Like where you know.
Speaker 4: That that excitement it still exists, and some people we have it with and some people we just don't. But if we open ourselves to it, I guarantee you're gonna find a little some of that every day.
Speaker 2: Every day. It's right there.
Speaker 5: I find it too often. Ye know.
Speaker 2: We're proud of you, Royce. We're proud of you.
Speaker 4: It's so wonderful to see you so like multi dimensional jeez, Luis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a lot, It's a lot.
Speaker 4: That's who we're reaching. We're reaching these multi dimensional folks.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yo, all the lists got to step it up, Royce.
Speaker 4: Look the bar is fat whoa running back running back genre bending, afro futuristic, black liberation, soul, funk, hip hop, music, recording artists, multi instrumentalist I love that, arranger, composer, EMC, vocalist, actor, photographer, sketch artist, keynote speaker, and a lum of fam you guly.
Speaker 5: I ain't even mentioned his current job on the thing.
Speaker 7: I mean, why why bother science that's the animal science.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's do about. But you can always go back to your mama.
Speaker 2: Farm and help her out with whatever she needs. We're gonna take a quick break and then we'll be right back.
Speaker 8: I was curious, is there any conversation that you think like that we haven't had that you would be you would be like, we should maybe think about having this conversation.
Speaker 7: Oh, I mean kind of spilling off.
Speaker 6: This is with us all being multi dimensional, multi layer, multi leveled, the power of saying yes to the living.
Speaker 7: In the rhythm of your body, like you know, when you're little and they ask you what do you want to be when you grew up?
Speaker 6: And you're like five, six ten, however old, and that can change at any moment. But there's the expectation of like, oh, well, you know, at six, I want to be an astronaut, and you asked again, okay, at ten you still want to be an astronaut, and so worth and so on.
Speaker 7: But there's very little room.
Speaker 6: For like, I want to be an astronaut, and then I want to be, you know, a professional violentist, or I would love to be a seamstress or a radio show personality.
Speaker 7: We don't get way for just the mind to be. You know, you can still.
Speaker 6: Be rooted and branch out, and it doesn't mean that you got to have one little limb hanging off your tree.
Speaker 1: You can.
Speaker 6: You can bear as me different types of fruits as you want on that tree, you know, just being able to say, all right, I'm okay with you know.
Speaker 7: I like animals. I love music too, So you.
Speaker 6: Know what I'm gonna do both, and I don't care what it means what it looks like to other people.
Speaker 7: It makes sense to me, and it makes sense to my spirit.
Speaker 6: And evidently that's been put on my heart for a reason.
Speaker 7: So can I stand in my reason and that be it?
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: Reason?
Speaker 6: And like I don't, I don't imagine how how warm most of us will be if we can move through life on that them of our body. Yeah, by the time you retire, you're too you know, probably maybe you're too worn.
Speaker 7: Out to even enjoy anything else. You know. But even when you retire, if you've.
Speaker 6: Been a library and all of your life, guess what, you can go back to school and do whatever, or you can open up a market on the.
Speaker 7: Beach, or you know, can can we can we do that for ourselves and others just share that.
Speaker 6: I think that there's so much power and just allowing ourselves to live to according to that rhythm versus you know.
Speaker 7: That's it. That's it. That's that's very dry.
Speaker 4: According to my son, that's that's how he feels education is that it's it's very limiting. You know, there's things that you have to know, you have tests that you have to take, but it doesn't necessarily impact your life, you know, the way that you would want it to. And we had that discussion all the time. Yeah, there's there's some truth to it. There's also other other portions that are like, well, you know, it's it's good to know how to measure shit, it's good to know how to you know, and subtract, multiply and divide your money.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, that's.
Speaker 1: That's sometimes the harder part is the kind of larger philosophies that we try to get people to buy into it. So if you have a kid, you could you could teach somebody anytime. You can teach somebody in ten minutes how to measure, but you can't teach somebody how to have ideas. That's a lot harder. So the fact that you're sitting there and he has ideas, he is he is exploring the philosophy of his life and how he looks at and analyzes the things he's interacting with is.
Speaker 7: A high intelligence for me.
Speaker 1: You know, I think there's and I feel like, you know, you can always learn a thing, not say that to be easy, but you can always learn you know, these kind of you know, basic things and systems, you know, and unless and I also want to acknowledge there's always so many different ways to measure because guess what, people don't measure things the same way everywhere in the world. Some people use the metric system. Some people use a little raggedy system we have in America. Some people measure some people measured by my fingers, feet and toes.
Speaker 2: Some people so I think.
Speaker 4: Some people say far, some people say okay.
Speaker 2: Now now now I love them with that. No, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I enjoy these young people and how they are pressing us and pushing us to think outside of you know, the box.
Speaker 7: And I know it is our job to keep.
Speaker 1: Them underunderstanding how to move with these ideas.
Speaker 2: There it is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm supposed to have a conversation now. I literally was asking Royce what we should talk about in the future. There, y'all go, having a whole conversation. Now, I was giving us another show.
Speaker 7: I apologize you just.
Speaker 4: We can absolutely continue this because yeah, every generation wants to hold on to all the things that was before. And life is for the living people. You know, we learn as we grow, and we let some things, we let some things perish. And if it's not beneficial to the soul, if it's keeping you isolated, if it's barring you from opening up and getting out of boxes and out of the darkness, if it's if it's if it's halting you.
Speaker 2: From doing these things, let it go. Let it go.
Speaker 4: Talk to somebody you wouldn't normally have a genuine conversation in a bar, you know, on the street corner, you know, ask a question with respect and.
Speaker 2: And brightened, brighten your brighten your situation. Huh, it's all right.
Speaker 4: Thank you everybody for listening to j dot L the podcast. It is our pleasure to have conversation at Spark Conversation. And thank you so much Voice Hall for being here with us and being a super fan and supporter of our movement. Bless you.
Speaker 2: How do you eat an elephant?
Speaker 7: One?
Speaker 2: By God?
Speaker 9: Hey listeners, it's Amber the producer, and I just want you all to know you are safe here. Nothing makes my heart swell like knowing our listeners felt, seen, heard and safe. Royce is a gem and to get more voice in your life, check out his website, The Royshall Experience dot com.
Speaker 2: He has some amazing books.
Speaker 9: You can also follow him on social media at I am Royce Hall and check out his YouTube. He made a few videos in response to this conversation. So if you kind of want to dive a little deeper into showing up as your authentic self and really nurturing your inner child.
Speaker 2: Check them out.
Speaker 9: I will link them in the show notes.
Speaker 3: Love you, yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Hi. If you have comments on something that he said in this episode called eight six six, Hey Jill, if you want to add to this conversation, that's eight six six four.
Speaker 2: Three nine five four five five.
Speaker 4: Don't forget to tell us your name and the episode you're referring to. You might just hear your message on a future episode.
Speaker 9: Thank you for listening to Jill Got Presents Jay dot lthpodcast.
Speaker 4: J dot IL is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.