Speaker 1: Hey, what's up everybody. Welcome to the Guilty of Charge Podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am the host as always, and joining me is my guy Tyler. Tyler, what some man? How you doing this afternoon?
Speaker 2: I'm doing awesome, Steven. It's July. It is the month of training camp. Dude, Jude, I'm excited. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Training camp, among other things happening in July.
Speaker 2: You know, Fourth of July birthday, on my wedding, my wedding. Yeah, it's in two weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'll be there for that one. Yeah, there you go, Happy early wedding to the Shunes. Happy fourth of July. We are recording this on Sunday the second, but you guys are watching this on the fourth, So hopefully you guys are having a great time celebrating Safetime, celebrating today. Thank you for listening, and hopefully we give you guys a good show or some offseason content. So, like Tyler mentioned, we are about three weeks away from the beginning of training camp, and so we figured we kind of revisit some of the bigger question marks that we have leading up to training camp. That We're hoping we get answered in training camp and preseason as the Chargers kind of you know, kick off the twenty twenty three season. So excited to dive into all of that today before we begin, As always, we are fans first and foremost, we are independent content creators for the Chargers. We are fortunate to be doing this every single week for you guys, and you know, at the end of the day, we're fans just like you are. So the opinions that we express on today's show are not always reflected by the organization, by the coaching staff. We're just happy to have a platform that the Chargers have given us and we're hoping we are doing them proud. So excited to dive in today show. Tyler. When you look at kind of like your process here in determined what kind of question marks we have left to be answered, where did your mind like first go before we actually get into the questions. What was kind of your process in whittling it down to getting these questions that we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that tended to I tended to lean towards stock up sort of or maybe even stock down options like and hopefully stock up right Hay in the training camp everything, everything's more positive. I want someone to take that step forward. So who could that person be? And the other direction I went was what roles do does this person have? Is their role diminished, do they have more of a role, do they start, can they start, et cetera. So that's kind of where I looked at for the most part. We'll get in some other stuff too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know, when we look at like personnel questions, you know, that's kind of where the bulk of my attention went to in terms of, like, you know, who can emerge, who can you know, cement their status on the roster. There's some general like team ceiling questions that I think could be discussed in this kind of space as well. You know, one of the comments that we always get whenever we are kind of talking about certain players, right, is always like, well, Trey Pipkins, can you know kind of be a potential outcome for any of these players? Right? So that person that player is obviously always at the forefront of my mind at these days. And so that's kind of my first question. And I think we can kind of kick off this interview or not this injury excuse me, this episode in that regard is there a Trey Pipkins in twenty twenty three. I think it's important to revisit where he was at leading into training camp in twenty twenty two as somebody who lost the position battle for swing tackle leading into the twenty twenty one season, and then in twenty twenty two he was headed for a position battle with Storm Norton right and there was, you know, a lot of speculation that the Chargers would add a right tackle and they ultimately decided not to, although they did draft Jamary Sawyer, who could play tackle right, but they didn't add like a pure right tackle in the draft and said they decided a draft design Johnson early in the first round. And so there was just kind of this incumbent battle between Storm Norton and Trey Pipkins that we were headed towards. And then obviously Trey ended up winning the battle here. So if I said to you, Tyler, like who could be a potential Trey Pipkins this year? Who would you bring up in this space?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's tough, because there's Trey Pipkins got to start right, so he was able to have a pure starting role as the right tackle, especially if you look at that twenty twenty class, and some of these guys in their contract year, they either have that role already or they will not be able to get that role. So I think the closest thing, if you're asking me who can take that Trey Pipkins sort of leap close but not exact, is Joshua Kelly. And I think it's because Kelly does have that talent. Like Pipkins. We've seen flashes of great play and a great player, it's just never fully manifested in the form of stellar play throughout an entire year. Kelly's also in a contract year. They did not draft a running back this year, like they didn't draft a tackle for trade Pipkins. But there's going to be a bit of a battle. And sure, like Pipkins, Kelly is currently the RB two, so he is the quote unquote favorite for that particular spot over someone like Isaiah Spiller. But there will be a training camp battle. But I think Pipkins got himself and he did get a Duke many Weather. He got himself a Duke many Weather, got himself a great offseason coach to work with and improve, And I know Kelly didn't, not to my knowledge, get anybody particularly like that, but he did get someone to help unlock his potential, and I think that's Kellen Moore. We've talked so much about, you know, Kellen Moore in the passing attack, but for this Chargers offense, right, the rising tide lifts all boats, and I think that more can do that, not just for the passing game, but for the run game as well. So Kelly has shown the talent like Pipkins has. He's in a contract year, he's upgraded with Kellen Moore. I think if I had to pick somebody sort of in that same vain and certainly you know, heading into his final contract year, I think that's Joshua Kelly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's a really interesting call. I wasn't sure if he would be somebody that could like qualify for this kind of criteria, but I think he does fit the role, right. I think if you go back and look at obviously his twenty twenty rookie season did not necessarily end super well. There were some really nice flashes early in the season, and then you know, he had those fumbles and that just kind of derailed his confidence. And then in twenty twenty one, you know, there was really just kind of a season long back and forth between him, Larry Rowntree, and Justin Jackson for that RB two spot behind Austin Eckler. Justin Jackson actually obviously ended up kind of winning that battle out and played some good football for the Chargers down the stretch. And then last year it was it was kind of the same kind of thing where it was like, Okay, we're gonna draft Isaiah Spiller, we saw Larry Rowntree, and then also we're gonna add Sony Michelle late in the process too. So Joshua Kelly was never really given his chance leading up to this season and then ultimately won the job out over Sony Michelle and Isaiah Spiler and played some really good football for this team until the injury, of course. So I think you look at his twenty twenty two season, you see some great flashes, right, and I think you can see the data is pretty solid for him as well. You know, in twenty twenty two he averaged two point seventy nine yards after contact per attempt, which is something that he himself talked to our guy Argen on our channel leading up to last season. Has kind of a key attribute and you generally want to be above two point six in my opinion, for like an above average running back in the league. And so a lot of people on the outside look at the Chargers running back situation and think there might be a ton of question marks. But this coaching staff clearly thought a lot of Joshua Kelly or they would have added at least one other body to this room. So I think the way that this team has handled the offseason shows that they have faith in Joshua Kelly going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's in a great spot where we've seen with Kellen Moore that he can handle the two back sets, and I think that or two back rotation, I guess. And josh mc kelly is a really good compliment to Austin Eckler, So I think that's a good fit. But who did you have in mind for this question?
Speaker 1: So I did have Joshua Kelly written down, just like I mentioned. I know, I wasn't sure if he would fit, so I put a question mark next to his name. The two main candidates I thought we could discuss would be Kenneth Murray and Trey McKitty. Again, Kenneth Murray not sure if he necessarily fits because we've seen some good football. He's started a lot of games for this team. I guess Trey McKitty, you know, third round pick, third round pick, kind of fits as well. And Trey McKitty has kind of been on the outside looking in at the tight end position. But you know, he's done a lot of extra work this offseason too. You know he's been at tight end you with George Kittle and Travis Kelsey, those guys. He's putting in the work right now, and I think that should be commended. It's just a matter of what kind of role can he bring in. And I think it's tough to look back at last season in a super positive note for Trey McKitty, But if you go back to his rookie season, he was really coming into his own as a blocker towards the end of the twenty twenty one season. And so we know that that player, that role that they're hoping for is in there with Trey. It's just a matter of bringing that back out for him in twenty twenty three. And I think he's taking the steps necessary to go and prove that he can be that guy. And they didn't draft anybody, and I think some of that is Donald Parham, right, who we both mentioned and discussed in the Top ten Most Important Players show on our own channel. But Trey McKitty two is part of this. I think if they were doubtful about Trey, I think they would have added more to the room than an undrafted free agent. But I think there is some confidence from the team side of things that Tray can't get back to who he was as a rookie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think people forget and sometimes I have to remind myself that his rookie season was really solid. It took a minute, right, third round players start immediately and play immediately, But once he worked into the rotation, he was looking really, really good. I mean, you talk about against a very good Steelers defensive line, not that I don't think even TJ. Watt was playing that game, but against someone like Cam Heyward on the goal line. There's a play where he's knocking him off of his feet like that is there and you saw it even towards the end of last season against the Rams. There's a Trey McKitty there that is an excellent blocker. Truly, he is there and he can be an excellent blocker. He just needs to put it together. And again, like I talked about with Kelly and the rushing attack, I think that Kellen Moore can elevate the tight end room as well as he has in Dallas previously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think you can look at a guy like Peyton Hendershot who was not necessarily No. One as a super great blocker in Dallas. You can look at what he did with Jake Ferguson this past year as well. And I'm glad that you're framing that too, with the way that kel Moore can kind of raise this raise the tide as you as you put it. So, Trey Mkitty to me, is the guy that I first thought of, But I think I do think Joshua Kelly probably fits this question better than Trey does, just because I think Joshua probably has a better chance of reaching that kind of level. And I think people kind of forget that Trey was playing on one leg and was still, you know, a top twenty five offensive tackle in pass blocking efficiency rating this past season. And you know, I'm excited to see what he does in twenty twenty three with a new contract and everything too. But I think Joshua Kelly can really take his game to new heights this year. Again, somebody that should stay healthier this season as well.
Speaker 2: So August, I'll kind of continue with that and talk about the offensive line and my question, which is something I really need to have answered in training camp. When Rashaun Slater and Trey Pipkins rotate off the field with the rest of the first team unit as they do, who are the two tackles that replace them? Because it could be any combination of Sarah at left tackle and Nick Melsop and right tackle. I talked to Nick Melsop's offensive line coach. They seem to think that he's a right tackle. I'm going to be a right tackle. Is it Jamari Sawyer at left tackle which he did last year and keep Sarrel at right tackle? Is it Jordan McFadden at left tackle, you know? And Sarah at right tackle? Because McFadden did play left tackle at Clemson? So what are the contingency plans here? Because I felt like heading into last season, the Chargers never really figured it out in camp. They had their competition, but I really feel like they didn't have a plan for both tackle spots. Are really a true swing tackle at at minimum and I think that cost them a bit down the stretch. They were just really lucky to have Jamary Sallier who could kick out to tackle with no practice and hold it down against Miles Garrett in his second game. So I am curious though, because this one isn't talked about as much, and I'm curious to get your thoughts on this one. Continuing with who we've been talking about, if Saral is their immediate backup at right tackle, like I just say, he is immediately their right tackle backup and he was last season, would they consider moving Trey Pipkins it's a left tackle if for Shaun Slider goes down, And I only suggest that because he has chemistry working with Zion Johnson, who they are moving to the left side, and they worked really well together. Look at Houston, that game was fantastic. You look at Austin Eckles's two biggest runs of the season, that's Zion Johnson and Trey Pipkins. But more than that, and again literally more Kellen, more than that. If you're running your rushing attack through your two guys on the left side, like if you move Zion to the left side, because you're going to really focus your re rushing attack on that strength that left tuckle left guard pair if you want to maintain consistency like Kellen Moore has been able to do. Granted you are moving a player to the left side. I think you're really only able to put either Trey Pipkins or McFadden out there based on athletic profile and all respect to the rookie, but we've never seen him play tackle in the NFL, and I think they see him more as a guard. So I'm just curious if Trey Pipkins is part of that contingency plan because you can move him over to the left side and really not lose as much as your rushing attack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the second unit for the for training camp and for the preseason is definitely gonna be an interesting one because, like we think, Jordan mcfannin is gonna be playing guard like that's that seems to be the plan. He was basically exclusively a left tackle in college last year. The two tackles where Zach Bailey at left and then and then Foster Surrell at right tackle, who you mentioned earlier. Now you know Zach Bailey has been rotating at guard and supposedly. According to Dana Popper, this team is it's pretty high on Zach Bailey as a potential guard piece for moving forward. So is Jordan mcfatten your left tackle then with the second unit, or is he you know, stuck at guard, Zach Bailey back to left tackle. You mentioned mister Melsop as well, could he be an option? And they have Austin pleasance on the roster to who they signed during the season after Rashaan went down. So there's a lot of pieces that need to be figured out. You know, they drafted Brendan Heimis a couple of years ago. He's played tackle in college, but never in the NFL. I think if anything happens to either of the tackles, you know, during the regular season, I think the logical choice would be to put Jamari at either one of those spots and then move in one of the guards that you feel better about, whether it's mcmadden or Bailey or Heimas or maybe Will Clap pays Will Clap plays guard for you instead. That to me makes the most sense. But this team has also been really hesitant to move players positions right like they could have very easily moved Matt Feiler to write tackle several times over the last two seasons, and they never wanted to ruin the chemistry over there, right, So the planet backup tackle is very very interesting because they've they've collected all of these former tackles who they think play guard, who have played guard in the NFL, who had that flexibility. But the only real pure tackles that they have on the roster right now are for Shaun Slater, Trey Pipkins, and Foster Surrell. So I'm with you. I think this is a super underrated storyline heading into camp. And obviously we feel great about the starting lineup, but at some point, you know, it's it's unfortunate, right, but at some point one of these offensive lineman's going to come off the bench, and how they fit in is just going to be really interesting, you think.
Speaker 2: I guess it makes sense given that I mean, Marshal's played left tackle. They literally saw him play left tackle last season, so you think that they would kick him out rather than put someone like McFadden at left tackle.
Speaker 1: I do. I think that that makes more sense than you know, Like if Rashawn goes down moving trade to the left, I think you'd rather keep him on the right side. If Tray goes down, you're definitely not moving Rashaan to the right side. So I think you want to minimize the movement and also maximize your output and so like to me, it's easier to replace Jamari at guard then it would be to replace or replace one of the rookies or one of the young guys with to Jamari at guard, then replace one of the one of the tackles with one of the younger guys. So to me, it just makes more sense to move Jamari. I think he's shown that ability several times in college and then obviously last year. Whether or not the team is comfortable with doing that again this year or not, I think his is The interesting.
Speaker 2: Thing for is we never have to have that question answered. We'll never know who cares. Everyone's healthy.
Speaker 1: Yes, it would be fantastic if all five players could start and finish every game this year. Would be great. All right, So my next question mark here. I guess we kind of hit on the offensive tackle piece a little bit here. I it's kind of a general regular season question, but I'm just super curious to see what happens throughout training camp with this Chargers defense in terms of how it is viewed, because I think right now there's there's a lot of pessimism on the outside world and within the fan base about how the defense has performed, and I get it there's not been enough consistency. But every single training camp we see the defense comes out strong. You know, they'll have some great moments. They'll you know, they'll pick off Justin Herbert a couple of times, just because that's how training camp generally works. You know, they're gonna get joint practice against Derek Carr right like that. It's not like they're gonna get joint practices against the Cowboys offense, who was, you know, one of the best offenses in the league last year. The Saints offense is probably not gonna be that. So how does the pendulum swing with this Chargers defense in terms of like people buying back into them during training camp is just something I'm curious to see because if you if you look at the last ten seasons, all of the teams who made a conference championship appearance, you generally have to be like a top twelve ish defense who really make it that far in the season, And most people don't feel that confident that the Chargers can reach that point. But we've seen, you know, things go that way pretty often. Defense is pretty fickles here. So if the defense really comes out strong, we hear all these great things about Joey and Khalil and Derwin and Asante and j C. Jackson's back healthy, does the pendulum start to swing back in the favor of a more optimistic light for the Charters. Defense is just something I'm.
Speaker 2: Here among the fan base, I would say so among us a little bit national media. I don't think they'd care to be completely honest. I think that they would want to see them go out and beat the Dolphins Week one, and then everything could change, right because not only did they go out and beat the Dolphins, and I'm assuming the defense helped out in this case, not only did they beat the Dolphins, but they beat Mike McDaniel again, and they stop Mike McDaniel, you know, the offensive genius guy again and ste it would be two to zero against Mike McDaniel in that regards. I think that's when the pendulum would start swinging. I think among fans will be excited. There's going to be, you know, weeks where the defense is going to be better than the offense. I wouldn't be surprised if the defense started out better than the offense, because one of these units is trying to learn an entire new thing with Kellen Moore. The other one, it's full of guys that have been there or they know daily, etc. So I think the defense will start a hop for training camp, but I don't think we're going to get any credit in the national media eyes until week one, and then you have to do it again. I mean again, look at the schedule. You gotta do it against the Cowboys on Monday night, you have to do it against the Chiefs. The next week, you have to do against Detroit, and you have to do against Baltimore. So I think it'll take some time, but I think that credit starts to be earned. I think that pendulum starts swinging after week one.
Speaker 1: So do you feel like there's anything that can happen in training camp that would maybe make you personally feel that the Chargers have achieved like a greater ceiling throughout the offseason. Throughout the preseason, you asked me about the whole team or the defense, just the defense.
Speaker 2: J C. Jackson is out there in training camp. I think if he is back out there and actually healthy as he again, people forget in training camp he was probably their best player last year. Then the surgery happened and everything changed, but people forget there was two or three weeks or whatever it was where he was amazing an outstanding defensive back. So if he's back out there and he's healthy, that would really change how I feel about this defense, because then it's just an embarrassment of riches in the secondary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's that's fair. I think that is the one thing that can really change how people are talking about it in the preseason right like during the regular season, that's another conversation. But like I said, this is kind of a fan base thing. It's kind of a nus thing, and like there's just not a lot of optimism for the defense. Everybody's so excited for the offense, rightfully so, but the defense is just it's, I don't know what it is. Man Like, usually at this time of year, there's a lot of optimism excitement that builds around the whole team, but I feel like the vibe is always like, yeah, the offense is gonna be great, but yeah, the defense I'm not really super excited about it, so I'm just curious to see how long that pendulum takes to start swinging in the other direction once training camp.
Speaker 2: Actually, hopefully not too much during camp because the defense is dominating, that's great, but that means the offense isn't doing so hot. So hopefully it's a nice good.
Speaker 1: Back and forth. Yeah, yeah, all right, Tyler, what's your.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's continue with the quarterback here. Justin Herbert the passer. We know a lot about him, and we've talked about We had Sean on the show talked about these new or improved concepts with Kellen Moore. We know the guy can throw you know, strawberries through battleships or X wings through Star destroyers. But what are we going to see from Justin Herbert the runner? You know, remember in twenty twenty one when Herbert would would drop back say, good jobs, dealers, defense, you have perfect coverage. That was a great call, and they did run all over them for ninety yards. Because he's six foot six, two forty and one of the most athletic quarterbacks in the NFL. You know, he's capable of so much, and in twenty twenty one, he was eleventh in yards after contact per attempt and ninth in yards per attempt, which is tied with Kyler Murray, which I don't think a lot of fans would associate those two guys together in terms of yards per attempt, but that's what it was. That's what Herbert can do. But that rib injury last year really broke Herbert's like, literally broke Herbert's capacity to be that same runner, because he dropped to second worst in yards after contact per attempt, only ahead of Tom Brady who's forty five, and third worst and yards per yeah, not great, and third worst in yards per attempt only ahead of Mac Jones and Tom Brady. So now he's healthy, he has the weapons to spread out the defense, and we believe that he has the line to protect him. So Dak Prescott under Kellen Moore typically between forty five to fifty rushes per season under killing Moore. So it's not like this is going to be, you know, Lamar Jackson in a thousand yards sort of thing. But I think Herbert runs you know, more rollouts, more designed bootlegs, et cetera than he ever has before, and I think he really rocks with that swagger that we saw him run with against Miami.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'm glad you brought this up, because this was not one that I hadn't thought about. I mean, I like previously I've thought about you know, Justin Herbert the Runner, right, But Benjamin Solak and Stephen Ruiz for The Ringer are doing these great episodes every Friday, and one of the things that they ever evely talked about was quarterback mobility and how it's changed and affected, you know, offenses in twenty twenty two and leading into twenty twenty three. And not just the fact that you know, you can design run games around these guys, but the cheatko that scrambles are becoming specifically, and Justin Herbert's great outside of the pocket. We've seen him extend and play and do all that, right, But the amount of EPA generated from Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Jalen Hurts on scrambles last year it was like some of the most efficient football that could be played because it's just such a big cheat code right now for these guys to get outside the pocket and create. And I think Herbert will get a lot more design runs this year, for sure. I agree with you. The interesting part to me is also his ability to scramble, and I think offenses in general are becoming like it used to be. You know, quarterbabacks, drop backing of one, two, three, four checkdown. Right now, it's kind of like one two, maybe the good ones get to three and then everybody just starts running, And we don't really see that from Justin. We didn't see it from him last year. Definitely not last year, like you mentioned with the rib injuries. Does he kind of get back to that because that was a huge deal for his rookie season, it was a huge deal during twenty twenty one as well. It's his ability to get outside the pocket create those extra plays for the Chargers, and some of his best moments have come from that kind of stuff, you know, the last season when he was finally healthy, the scrambled drill to Keenan Allen against the Raiders, you know, and that right corner end zone. So I do think we'll see more of Justin Herbert the runner, like design wise, just because he's healthier, but like, the scramble drills are one of the biggest cheet codes in the sport right now, and I'm excited to see her. We'll get back to that, and just his his creation ability that we didn't really see a whole lot.
Speaker 2: As much as we don't like the Chiefs, I have to respect Patrick Mahomes for his ability to move. It's unfortunate to watch because the Chargers have been there. He's Shuich, but he's so good at football. It's amazing because he's arguably the best thrower, the best quarterback you know, throwing it, passing it in the NFL, and he was last year. But then, like even just watching him play, it's sometimes just the runs that break the defense more than anything else because I'll go, oh, you know, okay, all my guys are down there, Travis Kelsey's covered, Okay, I just runner for fifty runner twelve. So getting back to that would be great. And I think that now that Herbert is healthy and they have a good line, I think, a good system, it will also help them a bit out on those third slash fourth down decisions, because you saw it last year. Sometimes on third down, maybe there's an injury or there was a Herbert you know, rib injury, and he wouldn't be so keen on running it in those situations. They'd boot him out maybe, but then he'd have to dump it in the dirt. You know, couldn't quite take those hits because he was hurt. And then he had a torn lab ram later on, which also, again we can have a whole conversation about how often he should run because of those injuries. But on third down, if you're able to boot out Herbert gave him options down the field and he can run it, you feel better about your your prospects of then going for it on fourth down potentially because you've gotten close, story, you've lost nothing, etc. So I think it's just a big ripple effect. This team really needs Herbert to be able to run again. Not twenty times again, not ten times a game, but just those three or four times that are backbreakers. Huge for this team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think we'll I'm I'm excited to see what kind of quarterback run game elements we can see with Kellen Moore on this team, because you know, I think he did a lot of great things with Dak, especially before Dak had his big injury. Right. If you go back and watch Kellen Moore's first season as offensive coordinator, there was a ton of Zone Reid opportunities for Dak that year, and his rushing ability was one of the key reasons why the Cowboys with that year were super effective on offense. So excited to see Herbert the runner back in twenty twenty three. Okay, next one for me, I think this is just kind of an interesting roster debate, right, and that's the quarterback two position behind Justin Herbert. And really, what can Max Duggan do this year to potentially dethrown Easton Stick? And I think the team has said all the right things regarding Easton Stick and his potential, right, They've they've always been high on him. You know, they brought Chase Daniel in because he was familiar with the offense. But now this is this is presum Eton Stick's job to lose, and they drafted Max Duggan and then the NFL passed the whole third quarterback rule in this category as well. So is this pretty clearly defined, like this is Easton Stick's job to lose? QB two is his and Max Duggin is he's just kind of taking a red shirt year he's kind of developing. Or is there a way that Max Duggan can catch Eastern Stick and be the quarterback too, So this is again this is probably way further down the list for a lot of people, right, But like when it comes to roster position battles, you know, the team always says they want competition in every position, and right now, there's just not a lot of Max dugg In buzz outside of maybe Fort Worth, Texas people who are big fans of his. So I just want to see what Max Duggin looks like in training camp. Man. I think that there's a lot of things that he does well that you can't see when people are in shorts and they can't hit him, you know, And so I think that his just the gamer mentality I think is more prone to come out in a setting like training camp in a preseason game, and I'm curious how much weight that would carry in the presumably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also very curious, and I'm curious to see how Kellen Moore evaluates backup quarterbacks because I think with Joel Lombardi and this makes sense anyway, I'm sure this is across the league very similar. They wanted the game manager, right, Is Chase Daniel the game break or quarterback? Probably not, although he had some good runs, so you know, Hey, I'll give it to him, but he's not Eastern Stick.
Speaker 1: He had like a forty yard carry in the preseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and hey that was awesome.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: He won the quarterback two jobs, so maybe there's that. But I'm curious if Kellen Moore will lean towards more Eastern Stick, who I think right now because he's been in the NFL, he's been on the team, played for the Chargers, like, I think he not that he's a game manager, but I feel like I'm more confident in saying that he could manage a game in the preseason better than Max Duggan right now because he's been in the NFL. But would Kellen Moore prefer someone like Huggan who would go out and let's say, generate more EPA per play or EPA for the entire offense, because even last year, Chase Daniel as a game manager earned more EPA than Easton Stick, which I know is kind of wild to think about, but that was kind of it, like chunk plays for Eastern Stick versus Chase Daniel and kind of death by a thousand cuts sort of thing. And of course, yes, a forty yard rush in the preseason, so you know, which way do they lean. They obviously like Duggan, they drafted him, and I think an underrated component of that is that he does have chemistry with players on the team. Eastan Stick does obviously because he's been here, but Max Duggan, he knows Darius Davis, he knows Quinton Johnston. So I think there's going to be some chemistry there that will help things as well. So is it the most, you know, the most pressing storyline. Maybe not. Again, I hope I never see them play on the field in the regular season because I want Justin Herbert to be out there for one hundred percent of the snaps. But I'm really curious how they evaluate these two and what they do differently than each other to distinguish themselves from the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there was a lot of, you know, putting the quarterbacks into a specific box and like what Joe Lombardi was looking for, you know, under the previous regime, we didn't we didn't really see that a whole lot like Cardil Jones got to do Cardil Jones and eisen Stick got to do Stick and Tyrod got to do Tyrod. Like it was it was more like playing to their strengths when they were in but with the previous regime, it was like, Okay, you both are gonna run the exact offense. We want you to do the exact same things, and we'll see who's better at that kind of thing. And so I think this this regime with with Kellen and obviously Doug Messmeyer, I'm curious to see how that battle takes shape. And also just in general, like the thing now with the three quarterbacks, nobody really ever tried to replicate the Taysom Hill thing in New Orleans, mostly because Taysom Hill is built like a tight end, like naturally, and he's a freak athlete. But now that there's kind of quarterback insurance built in, I'm curious if anybody really kind of experiments with like a Taysom Hill esque role, more so now because you have that kind of safety net in having the third quarterback role. So that's that's less a charters thing and more of like a general NFL thing, because I don't want kel Moore to take Justin Herbert off the field to do you know, gadgety things. But you know, maybe other teams who don't have a quarterback situation settle might be looking at their third quarterback and I mean thatky Man. That guy can run, like let's do some things with him. So that's a general football curiosity, not really Chargers related, but had to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, And Max Duggan is someone who can run the football very very well. So I'm not saying that's the only thing that Taysom Hill does, but you could do some things with him. And Easton Stick is very very athletic, so we've seen that on display. Yeah, that could be fun for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, Tyler, what's your next question?
Speaker 2: The one that literally has to be answered? Who starts in the slot the Chargers. We talked about how an embarrassment of riches at defensive back because they could play a Santi Cimo junior here, who we just saw have one of the greatest defense back performances I've seen in Chargers history with three interceptions in one half. Or they could take j. C. Jackson and move him to the slot on like an as needed basis because he has before and I'm sure that's what Brandon Staley would like to do. On occasion. You could put well, I don't know, Derwin James in the slot because he can cover anybody in the slot. You know, from George Kittle and Camp we've seen before to Keenan Allen to Travis Kelcey. I know that there was that touchdown that Derwin James allowed to Travis Kelcey, and that's you know, that's rough, obviously, and he'd like to have that back. But across two games, he only allowed forty two yards to Travis Kelcey. That's pretty darn good. And then you have John Taylor who went from Day three pick, you know, to a late Day three pick to camp standout and then special teams ace and then kind of helping the Chargers win against the Broncos to holding his own against Miami again against Mike McDaniel in just his rookie year against some really, really good wide receivers. So I'm curious who's going to play in the slot, because one guy has to play the majority. I don't think it's going to be one guy for one hundred percent of the snaps. Right, we just talked about all those all these different players they can mix and match, and Brendan Stealely is going to mix and match because there's no reason to not put J. C. Durwin et cetera. In the slot. But who's going to be that guy? And that might change throughout the season as well. Right, the corner room has shifted a bit, you know, it was very different from what they were in training camp in the preseason. But to start the season, who's going to be that guy? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think this is probably the biggest most important question that needs to be answered during training camp, specifically on defense. Like you mentioned earlier, you know, jac Jackson and him being healthy changes the ceiling of this defense. Right. Well, the good thing about jac Jackson is that he's logged over four hundred snaps in the slot in his career, most of that obviously coming in New England last year with the charge. He's mostly, you know, an outside cornerback, but he's done that in the past. Sande Sandon Junior hasn't logged a ton of snaps in the slot. I think it's like eighteen or nineteen in his career, but he did that at Florida State. They've been cross training him since they drafted him to play that kind of role. Just here, Taylor Derwin James, like you outlined, you know, maybe this is a space where Rahem Wayne can carve out a role as well. Dyon Henley can play in the slot, So the Chargers have options here. They needed to get settled because I think there's a situation here where a very talented corner is not playing one hundred percent in the snaps like we're used to seeing, and that probably catches people by surprise, you know. I think outside of Michael Davis, any of these corners can move around and play any position. You know. I think Derwin James I would love to see him get more reps in the slot because I think he's a fantastic slot defender. The Chargers probably need a better safety room behind him to make that more plausible, but he can do that role and I think that plays to his strength. So how this position battle, presumably between Jessea Taylor and a Santa Samon Jr. Maybe j C. Jackson plays out, I think is the most important roster battle because if just here is the better slock corner again, we're just like outside Definitely I'm taking a Sante right. Asante is a legitimately top tier outside corner. We don't know what he can do in the slot, and people are talking about it like that's just gonna translate one to one. We don't know that. So how does everybody react to potentially just here Taylor being cornerback four? If just here Taylor is a clearly better slot corner is an interesting thing to talk about. Again, outside corner. I'm taking a sante all day here, but we don't know what he looks like in the slot. We haven't seen it. We've seen just see her. Taylor play some up and down football. But the ups were pretty good, man. I mean he shut Jayalen Walla down pretty nice in that game. So in terms of roster battles, definitely the biggest question here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll be exciting. I really hope the defense plays on the fans side of the field so I can watch these two go out and rotate in and see what they can do, because it's gonna be fun. And this is a very very important position on the team. Sure, all all pieces of the defense are. But we've been talking so much and fans are asking me so much about how's the run game going to get better? How's the run defense going to get better? And that starts in the slot. You know what was some of the mistakes. I guess that happened last season, so we'll see who they pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think a small part of me has always thought that at his best, maybe JC takes a pretty sizable role in the slot. Brandon State Thing obviously made a name for himself as the Rams defensive coordinator. One of the things that the Rams did that really helped them become that top defense was put Jaylen Ramsey in the slot, and if you look at his play in the slot that year, he was probably the best slot corner in the league. Again, he's got a very unique body type for a corner because he can do all of that and he can play like a linebacker, you can play like a corner. If you hear him speak about his past, the Chargers thought of him as a safety prospect. So Jayleen Ramsey has a very unique body type. Jac Jackson doesn't share that same charistic but he's again logged four hundred snaps in the slot, So I think you have a lot of built in flexibility here. But there's going to be a point where a role is defined as a starter and a role is defined as CB four, and how that plays out is going to be very very interesting.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that's so you said jac Jackson they thought of him as a safety or Jalen Ramsey.
Speaker 1: No, Jayalen Ramsey talked about this on the I think it was the Pivot podcast that when he was going through the pre draft process, the Chargers told him, again, this would have been with this was still when they were in San Diego. Who was the defensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: In twenty sixteen, Pagano?
Speaker 1: Pagano? Is that still Pogano? I don't know. Anyways, Jalen Ramsey told the story that the Chargers were going to draft him as a safety if they ultimately decided to draft him, and then they decided to draft Joey instead. But he he's told the story that if he were going to be a Charger, he would have come in as a safety.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Well, we'll never know.
Speaker 1: No, we won't because he got drafted to Jacksonville. So yeah, like I said, biggest position battle right there for me. I think my last question here is just gonna be summed up as the twenty twenty two draft class because I think we know what we have in Zion, we know what we have in Jamari, but everybody else is kind of an uncertainty in this group. Again, I think we're higher on just here that more so than most people are. You know, Xander Horrath got a really hot start to the season and then for whatever reason, didn't really get to play. He played great on special teams, but didn't really get to carve out a role on offense. Dean Leonard didn't really get to carve out a role on defense. And then obviously the big ones are j T. Woods and Isaiah Spiller, again, guys who are seemingly doing all the work necessary to take those steps in development, but it's it's a lot of question marks for my liking. We have two great players obviously in Zion and Jamari, but who becomes that third, you know, second year player to take that leap? I think is a super important aspect of this upcoming season because I think we all really like the top of the Chargers roster, but that middle part we need some players to come in and step up. And whether that's you know, a running back three coming in and season a role, whether that's a safety three like JT. Woods, you know, proving he can be that reliable piece, I think is definitely an important question that needs to be answered in training camp in the preseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, JT. Woods has more talent in his pinky finger than I think ninety percent of the world does. That's undeniable. He's one of the most athletic players on the Charges roster. I remember looking it up. I think he's like the third most athletic in terms of RAS their most athletic safety the Charge have ever dropped in their entire history. And at his college Dape, which I think people frag him. Two, he's so smart. You watch him in college and even for a guy who is kind of between football and track, he was so good at processing, not just against the past but also in the run game too. But last year in the NFL, his rookie season, it just wasn't as successful as I think he wanted it to be or anybody wanted it to be. And that came down to mistackles processing again, the speed of the NFL, it's very different. And then not working into special teams. So you know, heading into year two with your Ryan Ficken on special teams or now promoted Derek Ensley and Tom Donotel obviously Brandon Staate, like, do they have renewed faith in him? Can he earn that trust throughout training camp. I hope so, because he's supremely talented.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's not something that like changes the Chargers scene on defense, but like him hitting his stride this year, it would be a huge positive outcome for this defense because turnovers are so valuable and his ability to create those turnovers is really unique to that safety room because Derwin can create turnovers, but it's it's generally like fight.
Speaker 2: JT.
Speaker 1: Woods coming in and being somebody that could you know, get four or five interceptions on the season, like that changes games, right, Like those interceptions could be extremely valuable for this defense. So JT. I think has the potential to be a player who can really turn the tides for this defense. Whether or not that comes to fruition really depends on him. It depends on maybe Raheem Lane is just comes out of know right, Maybe Rahem Lane is a breakout star this year for this defense. You know, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: But j T.
Speaker 1: Woods has the potential. We've seen it, you know. I think people will point to like his mistackle rate in college, but he was always in those positions. Like me and you had this conversation in Las Vegas when we were watching his game tape with Argen after the Charges drafted him. Even if he missed the tackle, he was always right there, good position, good form, good technique. It was just like one little like minor tweak here and there that he would that would result in the mistackle. So I I still think that there's a world where JT can hit, but it's it's a question mark, right, Like he has to come in and do the work, and he has to prove that he can belong on the field and listen, like Justin Humbert is going to take some chances in training camp. We know this, this is how quarterbacks progress. But JT has to be on the receiving end. We've seen time and time again. A guy like Mark Webb comes to mind, Like it was you know when he was a rookie, he had like three interceptions that first week of practice, right, and then last year, same kind of thing. So there's gonna be opportunities for these defensive backs to make plays on the football and JT needs to come down with them and prove that he can earn that role. Because safety three for the Chargers, like you're gonna play three hundred four hundred snaps in that role and potentially more if there's an injury, But you know that's that's a super key role that needs to be sorted out this in this Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'd love to close things out there and at least on my end with Edge three rather than Safety three. And this has been snowballing of it for me, and I keep thinking of it and I can't get her out of my brains. I want to talk about it. Does Chris rumf eaten to more Edge three steps and playing tim than we're talking about We literally just talked about this, but I don't think it's being discussed enough because, as we've talked about on our show before, and I even got to talk to Morgan Fox about this a couple of weeks ago, the Chargers two best four man fronts in terms of pressure rates involved Chris Rump. It was three other guys and Chris Rump. And we know that Brandon Staley loves to work stunts out of them. The stunt rate with Chris Rump on the field in those fore man groups was really really high, and their most effective fore man group with Chris Rump had a pressure rate of almost seventy percent, which is the second best among any grouping in the entire NFL. And Morgan Fox when I asked him about this, he talked about, you know, the more that they worked together and the more they understood how to rush with one another, the better they got. So you know, Tully's going to play a ton, but he is very young, and I would I would just watch off of Chris Rump's usages this year because I don't think you take those stats and a seventy percent pressure rate, granted not on one hundred snaps, but you don't take that seventy cent pressure rate and what you can do with stunts and just throw that away, and you don't take that progress that you've made and just throw it away. Because they've really developed as a unit, and if Chris Rump is a big part of that and a big part of their effectiveness, he needs to be out there rushing the passer. So again, I think Tully probably plays the most edge three snaps, but I think that Chris Rump is going to eat at more of those I guess edge three snaps. Then I think maybe we're all talking about.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair. I mean, pass rushers take a while to develop, right, Like this is a trend that we see come to fruition across the league. You know, this is Chris Rump's third season, this is really his first off season. I think Coach Ed talked about this like the off season after your second year is really the first time where you feel like comfortable in your own skin and your own training regimen. All of this stuff kind of comes together. So, you know, Chris Ruff had some really positive signs during the preseason last year, particularly against the Rams in that preseason game, I thought he played fantastic. You know, less of meat on the bone during the season one hundred percent. I think he would admit that too. You know, there were times where he would make he would do a great pass rush move or shed a block at a really high level and just not make the play. So if he's able to make those plays, then definitely you got to keep that guy on the field. And you know, something we've talked about is kind of lightening the load on Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa. And if you have too Le and Chris brumf both kind of hitting their stride, that's a great problem to have. You know, having four pass rushers that can play meaningful football for you is definitely a blessing, So I agree with that. I think, you know two, Ley's kind of the favorite for sure for that position. But similar to josh Palmer, I don't think Chris Brump just like hands it to him like Quenton Johnson and Tuli are gonna have to earn these roles because Joshua Palmer and because Chris Rump are going to be nipping at their heels. Is because they don't want to lose those jobs. They don't want to lose them snaps, and it is gonna be fun to see how that that edge group comes to.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we'll really get the answer to this question until the regular season and far into the regular season, but still I am very curious because Chris rum should probably be out there as edge three to start, So how long does he maintain that status for and does he really carry that potentially all the way into Week one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's fair because you don't want to just hand a role to too lee. You want him to earn it too, So I think that is fair. All right, Tyler Man, that was a great discussion. Hopefully you guys enjoyed that. Again, this is the meat of the off season, so hopefully you are enjoying the off season content that we are providing. Special thanks to Brian for producing the show today, Special thanks to everybody for all of you guys for tuning in. Make sure and subscribe to the channel here and go ahead and subscribe to our channel to get these charge podcasts as well. Appreciate all the support there that's going to do it for us. Hopefully you guys have a great fourth of July and we'll see you next week.