Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin with Janet Yellen's first full day in China. This morning, the Treasury Secretary spoke at a roundtable with US businesses operating in China. She highlighted the need for companies to diversify rather than decouple supply chains.
Speaker 4: The United States does not seek a wholesale separation of our economies. We seek to diversify and not to thecouple. The decoupling of the world's two largest economies would be destabilizing for the global economy and it would be virtually impossible to undertake.
Speaker 3: Jenny Yellen's remarks comm as China imposes restrictions on exporting minerals that are crucial to key technologies, well.
Speaker 2: Nathan, the Treasury Secretary will have a busy day in Beijing. She had informal talks with China's former vice premier and central bank governor. She's also meeting with the country's new premiere. We get more from Blomberg's Rebecca Chun Wilkins. In Hong Kong.
Speaker 5: There's Lee Chiang here, who is perhaps the newer relationship this is their first time meeting in Beijing since he took on that more senior role in particular, so we see really Yellen going out and meeting with people both passed and present to try and get these lines of communication open again, try and find some of these areas of common economic ground, even as we know both sort of have these retaliate true sort of tech dots pointing at one another in the background.
Speaker 2: And Bloomberg's Rebecca Chu and Wilkins as the Treasury Department describes Yellen's talks with Chinese officials so far as quote substantive.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 3: In addition to Yellen's trip to China, Karen, we're also keeping a close eye in the US labor market. The government issues monthly payrolls data for June today, Economists predict the gain of two hundred and thirty thousand jobs on the heels of yesterday's surprisingly strong ADP report. We get more from Bloomberg's Michael McKee.
Speaker 7: Economists aren't buying the ADP data showing almost half a million jobs created in June, but are asking what if a FED rate hike is all but priced in for this month and expectations are that labor market remains tight enough to be an inflation problem even if the ADP numbers are overstated. At their June meeting, FED officials also lowered their unemployment forecast for the year now, anticipating the jobless rate will rise to four point one percent, But the consensus is after going up in May, unemployment likely fell again in June, which leaves the final question what happened with wages, ADP and the market forecast, is that earning's growth slipped in June. That would be something the Fed is looking for. Michael McKee, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: All right, Mike, thank you well. After that ADP rapport, treasury yields hit their highest levels in fifteen years. Now. That's fueling bets for more rate hikes from the Fed. Dallas FED President Laurie Logan addressed the issue just minutes after yesterday's private payroll data.
Speaker 8: I remain concerned about whether inflation will return to target in a sustainable and timely way, and I think more restrictive monetary policy will be needed to achieve the fomc's goals of stable prices and maximum employment.
Speaker 2: Dallas d President Laurie Logan spoke at a Central bank Research Association Forum in New York.
Speaker 3: Karen, We're also waiting for an announcement from President Biden. Today's expected to release a plan to lower health care costs for some Americans. Amy Morris has a preview from our Bloomberg ninety nine one newsroom in Washington.
Speaker 9: The administration wants to close loopholes on insurance plans that provide reduced coverage. Now, those plans are often cheaper, but critics say they leave consumers lacking comprehensive coverage and puts them at risk for higher bills in a medical emergency. The administration will also release guidance intended to prevent providers from avoiding billing regulations by contracting with hospitals defined as out of network. White House advisor nar Attanden says the proposals should protect consumers from unexpected bills if they have signed up for miss leading insurance plans. In Washington, I'm Amy Morris, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: Right, Amy Fan, thank you. In the social media space, the world is still a buzz about the battle between Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk. As Instagram's threads enters its second day of existance, we get the latest from Bloomberg's John Tucker, John, good Morning, and.
Speaker 10: Karen, the heat is on must Twitter now threatening to sue Zuckerberg's Meta for its new app. The website Semaphore quotes a lawyer for Twitter as saying the company has serious concerns that Meta Platforms is engaged in systematic, willful and unlawful misappropriation of Twitter's trade secrets and other intellectual property. In a tweet, Elon Musk said competition is fine, cheating is not. The new app very similar to Twitter, although some of the language is different. It's not a tweet, it's a thread. Visually, Threads does look similar to Twitter. The Daily Mail reports in the first twenty four hours after launch, Threads has already hit fifty million users and seen nearly one hundred million posts in New York. I'm John Tucker, Bloomberg day Break.
Speaker 3: All right, John, thank you now. A Bloomberg News exclusive involving Apple's new headset told the rollout of the new device will be relatively slow. The company plans a retail launch of its Vision Pro headset with appointments in select US markets early next year. Source to say Apple will designate special areas in the stores with seating, headset, demo units, and tools to access or to size accessories for buyers. While the device will be sold at all Apple locations in the US, the company's initially planning special sections for Vision Pro only its stores in major metro areas.
Speaker 2: And staying with tech Nathan, we're learning about a management shake up at Binance. Sources he and the executive tasks with helping the world's biggest crypto exchange navigator regulatory crisis is leaving the company. The move comes as Finance faces US allegations of fraud and compliance lapses. The executive who's leaving, Patrick Hillman, was Chief Strategy officer at Finance since twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Time now to take a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Michael, Good morning, Nathan. Dozens of people were heard when a double deckor tour bus collided with an MTA US in Manhattan. It happened last evening on First Avenue in East twenty third Street. Police say the MTA Express bus had the right of way as it traveled through the intersection MTA Transit President Richard Davy.
Speaker 3: The tour bus behind us seemed to have pulln a red light and t boned our bus hit it actually twice.
Speaker 9: It was going so fast, we.
Speaker 6: Think audio courtesy of ABC seven. Both buses were full at the time of the crash. Many of those injured were treated for cuts, bruises, and fractures. The man who shot and killed twenty three people at a Walmart in El Paso in twenty nineteen is set to be sentenced today in federal court. For two days, survivors and victim families have been addressing the court. When the father of the youngest victim spoke, he turned to shoot at Patrick Crusius and said, look at me, you coward, look at my son's picture. Crusius, a self proclaimed white supremacist who admitute targeting Hispanics, was seen crying in court during victim impact statements. Crusius is expected to be given ninety life sentences today. Prosecutors in a separate state case, we'll try for depth. President Joe Biden has agreed to send cluster munitions to Ukraine, Bloomberg said. Maxter reports. Though there is dissent, there.
Speaker 11: Is international concern from arms control in human rights groups because of the potential of harmed civilians. More than one hundred countries, including France, Germany, the UK, and many other NATO allies or parties, to what is called the Convention of Cluster Munitions, which is a twenty ten agreement that bans the use and transfer of such weapons. Note that the US, Russia, and Ukraine did not sign the agreement, although the US in the past has condemned others for using them. In San Francisco, I'm at Baxter, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 6: More than sixty seven million Americans in thirty one states saw temperatures top ninety degrees Yesterday, nearly forty million experienced Feelds like temperatures in the triple digits. The last three days have broken the record for the hottest average temperature on Earth. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by Moriman twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts in over one hundred and twenty countries. I'm Michael Barr. This is Bloomberg, Nathan.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Michael. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update with John Stanshauer.
Speaker 6: Thanks Nathan.
Speaker 12: The Mets suddenly hot a couple of wins last weekend at Cityfield. They went to Arizona Diamond back to our first places team the Mets one Tuesday, the thrillly ninth inning rally on Wednesday, and a quick start last night.
Speaker 6: Two one.
Speaker 13: Hucks deep down the left field line, a laser beam that gets out for a homer. Oh, a screamer by Alonzo down the left field line into the Arizona bullpen, a sizzling two runs shut and at the top of the first the Mets sabbath two.
Speaker 12: Nothing Lee WCBS twenty sixth hom run for pet Alonzo. He'll be in Monday's home run derby in Seattle for Francisco Alvarez. Two run shot two innings later. Now sixteen homers for the rookie catcher, and in the sixth the blast by Francisco Lindor, who went five for five. The Mets won nine to nothing, plenty of runs support for Carlos Karrasko.
Speaker 6: He didn't really need it, allowed only three.
Speaker 12: Hits in eight ins. Mets look to keep it going in San Diego final games before the All Star Break. As lopsided a win as it was for the Mets. The Yankee loss even more so. Baltimore won fourteen to one. At the Stadium. Orioles rookie Gunner Henderson went four for seven with two home runs. What's up with Luis Sevarino? Sheld again? He got only eight outs, gave up seven runs, ten hits as Era is seven point three eight. Yankees and Cubs tonight at the Stadium. It's the Yankee debut of Carlos Radon. He was their prize free agent signings. A busy day at Wimbledon, thirty six year old Novak Djokovic plays his third round matchits against thirty eight year old Stan Wrinka. Andy Murray is thirty six, the its fifth seed in Stefanos sits APAs two sets to one. They couldn't finish. They werean into the curfew. They'll finish the match today. John Stashenewer Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 6: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, d C. Nationwide on Syrias Exam, the Bloomberg Business app, and Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: Good morning. I'm Nathan Hager. The US wants to diversify, not decouple. That's the message Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen is delivering in China, but at the same time, she is not hesitating to criticize moves she sees as threats to the US economy.
Speaker 4: The decoupling of the world's two largest economies would be destabilizing for the global economy, and it would be virtually impossible to undertake.
Speaker 3: It was Secretary Yellen speaking at a roundtable with US business leaders in Beijing, and for more. We are joined by Bloomberg News China Government editor Jill Desis as we continue to monitor Secretary Yellen's visit to China this morning. Jill, she's meeting right now with the new premier Lead t Yang to talking about trying to prevent a winner take all situation in China when it comes to the economies. What is the balance that Secretary Yellen is trying to strike in this visit to Beijing.
Speaker 14: Yes, Hi, Nathan, Yeah, this is a really, really, really difficult, delicate balance that she has to strike, right because ultimately she's trying to you know, she's putting out these it's not a winner take all situation remarks saying that they need to cooperate. I mean, that's really what the Treasury Department had told us and some of these officials had told us, was the aim of this trip was to open these lines of communication and continue talking with the world's second largest economy. Of course, this is all happening against this backdrop where you've got these You've got the US throwing sanctions on China and Chinese companies. You had China just earlier this week imposed some new export controls and some very key medals. So it's really this weird situation where you can't just cut off all economic cooperation between these two economies, but at the same time they fundamentally disagree about a lot of different issues, primarily about national security, and that's really sort of poured over into how they affect each other's trade and sort of how, you know, how they trust each other or in this case, really mistrust each other. So ultimately, what she has to do is try to say, hey, like, there are ways that we can cooperate, but it is a really really difficult balance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it has been a lot of attention, particularly on these new export controls on the metals germanium and gallium that are so important to technology across a wide spectrum. Here we heard the Secretary say that they're still looking into what the potential impact could be here. But what does that do for the US China relationship when it seems as though we're having sort of a tit for tat when it comes to a trade between these two countries.
Speaker 14: Yes, it ultimately, I think just kind of makes things a little bit more complicated, as many of these measures often do. Reuters and reporting actually that the US Defense Department is trying to invoke a new defense it's actually sorry, and it's an existing Defense Production Act to boost domestic mining and processing of these metals that China is trying to limit some exports of. I think that that, really, though, speaks to what Janet Yellen has been trying to emphasize here, this idea of how exactly to diversify or decouple or de risk or however you want to say. The language that she was using, that idea of diversifying economies is a bit softer than deep risking, which is, you know, something that we've been hearing out of the US and Europe this year, and is obviously that was even softer than the coupling lengths that we've heard. So I think that that just kind of reflects how difficult it is for these economies and how they have to kind of tailor each of their you know, each of their responses to whatever the other country is trying to do in terms of limiting trade.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting, literally colorful commentary we're hearing as well from the new premier Lead Chiong ahead of this meeting with Secretary Yellen, saying the China believes of bilateral ties with the US will be more rainbow after wind and rain. What is China trying to get out of this visit with Secretary Yellen?
Speaker 14: Well, I think at this point with this visit, I mean remember Lee Chong, He's only been in this position for a few months now. He's the new premier that was installed in March, very key ally of President Chi Jinping. What Chine is ultimately is trying to understand is they're trying to build up at some point a relationship or try to understand the relationship that they really have with a lot of these US officials, right because Jenet Yellen, you know's she's got ties or at least, like the Treasury Department has economic ties with some long standing Chinese officials. You look at Luha, the former the former economic policy advisor in charge of trade. He's no longer in a key leadership position anymore, but he was a really critical source during the US China trade war, ineditigated by the Trump administration. So you had like some of these old hands that had these stronger relationships with US officials. We're seeing right now, though, is that Beijing has a lot of new hands that have kind of taken charge who don't have those relationships, and so I think they're just kind of trying to feel each other out right now.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and.
Speaker 9: I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak