Speaker 1: Mute forms. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to software Radio, special operations, military mails, and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another wonderful episode of soft Rep Radio and I am your host, rad But first, before I introduce my next guest, I got to point out that we have a merch store, and if you go to soft reap dot com, check out the merch store. That's what keeps the lights on, right, That's what keeps it going. These coffee mugs, these shirts you guys are picking up with our names on it and supporting it. Antagon us keep doing that. Also, we have a book club, something that's a little cooler than the merch store or is reading books. Okay, so go check out soft rep dot com Forward Slash Book hyphen Club and get in on that. And we might just have our next guests book in our cycle of over a thousand books that we have already rotating. And my next guest is Robin Bartlett, and he wrote the book Vietnam Combat, Firefights and Writing History, and I want to welcome him to the show. Thank you, Raed.
Speaker 3: It's wonderful to be here.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: So much for having me today.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for reaching out and wanting to be on the show and wanted to tell your story and talk about your book that you've got coming up. I know you have a lot going on, and you've taken the time out to give us some of your insight into Vietnam and really just what's been going on in the sixties, seventies, eighties into today. So with that, I want to introduce you again. What was the rank that you got out as second lieutenant?
Speaker 3: Well, I went over to Vietnam as a second lieutenant, that's right, and then after one year, just one year, I was promoted to first lieutenant. Huh. And that was the day that I joined my battalion in Vietnam. There were four officers, all the same roughly the same data rank. We marched into the battalion commander's office bunker, i should say, and in alphabetical order. So I went in first, and this lieutenant colonel who was the battalion commander, was just totally beat. He was totally exhausted. He gave us the two minute speech and then asked the s one, the personnel officer, where do we need officers? And he said the s one said we need one in A, two and B and one in C. So I was assigned to a company. The three other officers did not complete their tours. They were either killed or wounded. So my first story is the luck of being in alphabetical order and assigned to a company. So I was the only officer to survive. The other two were The other three were either wounded or killed.
Speaker 2: So let me just ask you this. You know, as a young man, how old were you?
Speaker 3: Twenty two years old?
Speaker 2: And here you are, okay, realizing that you're being pulled in because the other gentlemen that we're in your position are no longer doing that position because of war. What's going through your head right now? Just like I'm the guy?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, part of the reason why I wrote this book is because I had some experiences that were kind of unusual, and I've talked to a lot of it about and found that I had had some things happen to me that didn't happen to them, and each one of these stories ultimately became a chapter in my book. They're rather unusual stories, some are horrific, and some are really just unbelievable. They're funny, and unbelievable.
Speaker 2: It's like life happens and then horrific situation. All of a sudden, You're just like walking along and telling a joke and talking about your girlfriend, and the next thing you know, it's combat.
Speaker 3: That's pretty much it.
Speaker 2: Yep, and you probably dealt with a lot of ambush tactics coming at you being on the ground. Tell me, tell us about your unit, tell us who you got, who's siverer with Let's just dive right into it.
Speaker 3: So I went through the ROTC program because you know, as a military brat, I went to thirteen different elementary and middle schools and at four different high schools and said, I have had enough of the military. I want no part of it. But in college it was the height, you know, the war was building and my classmates were being reclassified one A during the summer months, and I said, well, I'm going to serve my It looks like I'm going to serve my obligation. I want to serve it as an officer. A lot of family tradition in my family. My grandfather went to West Point, father went to West Point, brother went to West Point. All served military careers. But I went through the ROTC program. I turned down an appointment to West Point Wow, and after graduation, I was a distinguished Military graduate and just fell naturally into the routine. Volunteered for Airborne Ranger and was assigned to the eighty second Airborne Division. Was there for about nine months, and then transferred to the one hundred and first Airborne Division in Vietnam.
Speaker 2: Oh Wow.
Speaker 3: When I arrived in Vietnam, it was just after the Tet Offensive of nineteen sixty eight, and they said all orders are for officer. Orders are canceled. There have been so many casualties. I was reassigned to the first Cab Division, and that turned out to be a wonderful assignment in many ways because the whole air mobile concept was to bring fresh troops to the battle by helicopter. You didn't have to walk, didn't have to hump through the boonies to get to the battle. You went in on helicopters. You carried more water, you carried more ammunition, and you flew to the battle. My other colleagues officers, they carried seventy pound packs. My pack was forty five. But the other side of that coin was that sometimes we went into hot alz's I.
Speaker 2: Say, you're going into the bush, you are like getting dropped into hells and ferno. And to put that extinguish that.
Speaker 3: I made more than fifty helicopter combat assaults, and when it was my platoon's turn to lead the assault, I will always rode in the first helicopter. And this was pretty harry.
Speaker 2: Follow me, boys, here we go.
Speaker 3: That was pretty harry. Even though they would prep the LZ with artillery and we had Cobra helicopters overhead gun runs, the enemy somehow, somehow was able to survive. Now, they liked to let the first helicopter land, but then they'll take out the second one and then that would divert the rest of the helicopters from coming into that LZ. They would divert to another LZ landing zone, and the men on the ground had to fight it out on their own.
Speaker 2: And those down copters and trying to figure like take care of their casualties, take care of themselves. Fight this overwhelming number coming from the trees in every direction. I can only from the ground too.
Speaker 3: It could be overwhelming, or it could be just a sniper with an LPG shot.
Speaker 2: I got you. That's So did you ever encounter the So I've heard stories of smoke getting popped and like they say, Roger that we're coming in for a landing, golehea and pop your smoke. And they're like, okay, we're popping yellow. And then yellow smoke would pop all over the place, and you guys are like, let's fix this, let's say, well identify it. Is that a thing? Am I tripping?
Speaker 3: It was the reverse of that. I mean I never actually had that happen to me. But when the helicopter pilots were coming in to bring supplies or to they would ask you to pop smoke and then you would tell them that you had pop smoke and they would verify the color. So the enemy was be listening to our radio, so once you said pop smoke, sometimes you know, they would pop a different color smoke. They had access from somehow, they had access to our.
Speaker 2: Cancers su grenades, right from policing up those that left them behind, you know.
Speaker 3: A market wherever. I mean, yeah, supplies were left all over the place exactly.
Speaker 2: It was just kind of just such, that's a crazy war, you know, and I don't want it to let it be forgotten. And you don't either, And that's why you've written your book. You know, at Vietnam combat and you were there. This is what I want my listener to know.
Speaker 3: I wanted to tell it from a boots on the ground point of view. I mean, I didn't have a fifty thousand foot view. I had boots on the ground point of view. I wanted to tell it what it was like to lead twenty eight men through the jungle. These were draft e's, almost all of them were draft Ese, and I was the second oldest man in the platoon, yet responsible for their welfare and in many cases, you know, giving them orders and direction on what to do and how to do it.
Speaker 2: Did you ever come into contact and all of a sudden you have to go for some other weapon because youre's jammed. There's out ammo, and you're just like, maybe there's an AK and you grab that. If you were swapped out weaponry to just do your mission.
Speaker 3: Actually no, not quite that way. We always had superior firepower, but the enemy was incredibly competent. That was one of the misconceptions that we had. We always thought that the VC were, you know, they were citizen soldiers and walking around with a little ball of rice on their hip and ak with one or two magazines.
Speaker 2: Not true.
Speaker 3: They were tough soldiers, especially at night. They were the best night fighters around, far superior to what we did. And they had this unique ability. We would hole up for the night and night defensive position, dig fox holes, put out Claim our Minds and trip flyers. But they had this uncanny capability of penetrating our wire and penetrating our defensive positions, getting in, throwing hand grenades or satchel charges, and they just had an amazing ability to fight at night. The only times we were successful at night would be when we set up an ambush and they would walk down the trail and we'd blow Claim our Minds, which was just an awesome, awesome weapon. But no, I never really had occasion to be that. I only had one occasion to it. It was close in far close end fighting. Everything else was that fifty fifty meters maybe or or less.
Speaker 2: That's amazing that we stand to hand and when you're firing these claym wars there are attached to like a device like a remote control that's called what a clacker? Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like almost looks like a handheld vice gript. It's like a stapler. Yeah, and there's about a seventy five foot wire that goes out to the claymore mine three hundred steel balls in a semi circle, and we'd plant two or three of them in front of us. You fire those suckers, and we'd go out in a cone six inches or foot off the ground, six feet in the air, and in a code cone three hundred meters wide. Nothing survived.
Speaker 2: The nothing survived, just flying out boom, and it says front towards enemy on those for my listener or my viewer. If you're not sure, that's the one. Very stick it in, point it away from yourself and make sure it's still pointed away from you. Geez, seventy five feet you are close. That is danger close.
Speaker 3: The backblast wasn't much. It was all going out toward the front.
Speaker 2: Interesting ingenuity that we have to check.
Speaker 3: It was an amazing resource that we had available that artillery. I shot a lot of artillery. I got good at shooting artillery.
Speaker 2: Man. Let me tell you, well, you want to know what's going on nineteen sixty eight. There's two things that I learned about nineteen sixty eight. One, the big Mac was invented in nineteen sixty eight. Okay, I just want to say to my listener, to the Big Mac. Okay, so while the Big Mac tonight's coming out on the market, he's in Noam. And then also Jumping Jack Flash from the Rolling Stones was the album number one album. And that's where you start getting like painted black. You get all these songs that are so synonymous with Vietnam in movies that they use from the Stones. So I thought it was relevant to say what was going on in sixty eight. You were there in sixty eight, you know, it's just the things going on in the US. Everybody's still trying to live and you're in there plant and Claymores and the Big Mac is coming out of the market. That's right. Do you remember your first Big Mac?
Speaker 3: It was a long time after that before I saw the first Big Mac.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right right. Did you have any like USO shows where any like you know and Margaret or anybody showed up and did a dance or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Where I was with the first cab division was up in iCore, that's right along the demilitarized zone in the northern part of South Vietnam. And we operated from the Gulf of Tonkin on the east, so you had sandy soil, tumbleweed, no overhead cover all the way to the Laoshan border, which was three canopy jungle, and we were in a free fire zone. There were no friendlies, especially toward the Laoshan border. We were trying to prevent infiltration from the Hochi Min trail anything. I only encountered friendlies on one occasion, and that was when we were in a blocking force around a village and that was being searched by Arvin troops. Otherwise we were in a free fire zone and if we encountered anything or anyone, we killed it.
Speaker 2: What will you say what Arvin stands for for Mike, do you do you remember? That's?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Army of the Republic of Vietnam. Those were South Vietnamese soldiers.
Speaker 2: An icor man, that's a that's a word that radar O'Reilly used on mass Let me get icor on the phone, Let me get icor on the phone, let me get icre on the phone. So you're just saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And depending upon where we were, it was for it was like three different wars. You could have sandy soil, incredible heat one hundred and five hundred and ten degrees. We had to be very careful about men staying hydrated, and it was not uncommon, even with experienced soldiers for men just to be walking with us and keel over from heat exhaustion.
Speaker 2: Right, And to me once just total heat casualty.
Speaker 3: Heat casualties and ha percent and then you had a metavac. You had casualty and you had to get them out of there.
Speaker 2: And it's real, you know, fevers and over. It's just you know, what can you do to the body when it's burned out like that? Right? And you are a casualty of the war? Dang hod.
Speaker 3: It happened to me on one occasion. I started having leg cramps and I had drunk all the water I had, and I carried two gallons of water, but I was so hot and so humid, I drank all the water. I took my salt pills. Those are the days they thought salt pills would help. You just got incredible leg cramps and I had to be medovac.
Speaker 2: Did you ever as an officer, did you ever have to sign some paperwork to like give somebody an accommodation that they had done some active valor and combat, and do you remember what that might have been.
Speaker 3: I was a comparative literature major in college, and so they found out very quickly that I was a good writer. So the answer is, every time we needed to have a citation written, I got the job.
Speaker 2: Okay, because you could type? Could you type? Oh? You can write? And really it's really yeah.
Speaker 3: I rarely got close to a typewriter, but I wrote. I wrote them out on paper.
Speaker 2: And as you're writing these out with your eloquent style as an English you know, savant, I'm going to call you that what was going through mind? Where you reading like young Joe Private Joe here had stormed them hill and deserves this and he lost his life. I mean, what's going on? You know?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the people I was writing up were the men in my own platoon who had been involved in actions that I had been involved with. So I could reconstruct the actions in the territory and the and the discussion of what that soldier had done, as well as the posthumous write ups that I had to write on occasion as well.
Speaker 2: And I just want to touch on that because you know, it is it is a part of the whole situation. You know, these young men and young women who gave their lives deserve to have that noted in our halls of history, if you will, Okay, so love that you wrote that. They probably eloquently as well.
Speaker 3: To this day, I try to It was not an easy task, especially if you had a KIA killed in action. It was the officer's job to the soldiers. They would bring the body back, but they didn't want to be involved in the preparation of the body to go back home. That was the officer's job, and my medic would give me a death card. It was basically three by five card with a hole punched in it a piece of string. You fill out that card and for the first time we actually recorded the coordinates as best as we could as to where that soldier had been killed. So we kept I don't know where that data ended up, but they tried to record exactly where that soldier had had died. And you attached the card to the boot along with one dog tag. The other dog tag remained around his neck, and it was my job to go through the pockets make sure there was nothing that shouldn't be there, remove any personal effects. Then we didn't have body bags, but we had ponchos. I would wrap the man in the poncho. But you know these choppers when they came in a lot of rotor wash. So I had a ball of twine and I would tie off the poncho around the head, waist, and feet so that the poncho wouldn't flop around, and then we'd call in a helicopter to come in and begin the journey back home.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for that, and on behalf of them, right, thank you, and for that that person you're thinking about right now. I mean, you can say the name if you want to, but thank you.
Speaker 3: You know, tried to do it with respect every time that had happened, and it did happen to me a number of times. Was not easy. I guess my men were a little superstitious about doing it because they thought, well, maybe it would be me the next time.
Speaker 2: So I see. But if you keep doing it, then you have a job to do to keep doing it, and they're like, they're going to fight for you, but you keep doing Okay, Oh what a job here you are going through out TC and now you're you know, doing that detail and where in the manual. Does it teach you to do all of that right? No, where does the teacher to get the twine? Where's it teach you about the rotor washing? So here you are trying to be so ceremonial, ceremony, you know, respectful to these, to these fallen, and you got rotor washing, and you got you know, back to action, back to the jungle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some of that I learned in ranger school. Ranger School was the best training that the army had to offer. It was the best insurance policy, wow, for a new lieutenant. And Ranger school took us to the point of physical and mental exhaustion and hunger because if you didn't make your objective, they didn't feed you. And then at that point, when you reached that point, that's when they made you the leader and put you to the test to lead the patrol. So there was really never once in Vietnam that I did not feel in control of a situation.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I was scared to death, no doubt about that. When the bullets fly, you are scared. But I always that training instilled in me a sense of tremendous confidence that lives with me to this day. My wife tells me your greatest strength is that you are fearless, and your greatest weakness is that you are fearless. Right, But that comes from Ranger School. It was the best training the Army had to offer, now, Seal training, I admit, I will go on record to say that that was tougher. I didn't go through it, but I know it was tougher physically. But Ranger School demanded a lot from us, both physically and mentally, planning the operations, writing an operation plan and executing it.
Speaker 2: Kind of groomed in a green beret fashion as a ranger to see if you could be pulled into the next echelon upwards.
Speaker 3: At the time, if I had stayed in the Army, that that would be the direction that I probably would have pursued.
Speaker 2: Because your glasses that you're wearing right now are totally green beret style, you know, officer glasses, sir.
Speaker 3: That's true, that's true. And I have sunglasses just like yours.
Speaker 2: I love it. I thought i'd give you the flare of the sixties and seventies, baby, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, So here we are sixty eight sixty nine. Rolling Stones are in the background playing some music. You're moving, there's smoke popped. Ever, it's just tell me something. What are you feeling? You know, like you got a unit with you're you're on the trail. What are you looking for?
Speaker 3: Well, when I came into my unit, I did something that I think was allowed me to survive my tour because the life expectancy of a lieutenant ap platoon later was ninety days.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I got wounded twice, but I did survive. Why. One thing was I tried really hard not to do anything stupid. It was easy to do stupid stuff over there, but I worked hard at not at trying not to do stupid things. Secondly, I sat down with my platoon sergeant and my squad leaders and I said, listen, you know more about what's going on here than I do. You've had more experience, more in field, So I want your advice. I want you to tell me if you think I'm doing something that's wrong, and I want your advice. Now, I didn't always take it, but I established that rapport. And the other thing that happened after a period of time is that you know, officers in Vietnam were measured by BodyCount. That was the metric by which junior officers and senior officers were measured. But I suspect I never would have been a really great commander because after a period of time, the welfare of my men became more important to me than BodyCount. For example, if my point man alerted, I would he would call me forward and I'd talk to him and he says, sir, or they didn't call me sir. My name was one six. That's you didn't call anybody sir. You never saluted, there was no insignia. The only way you knew I was an officer is that said Lt. Bartlett on my camouflage band cover.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 3: So he would say, I got a bad feeling about what's in front of us. I don't hear any monkeys, I don't hear any birds. And I respected that, and I trusted my point man. I also got really good at firing artillery. I was great. In fact, I shot so much artillery that the battery that supported us got to know my call sign, and I would do what was called reconnaissance by fire, meaning I would shoot artillery in front of where we were going to be walking through. And they actually ended up putting a budget on me of twenty five us. That's the most I could shoot. Yeah, but when we walked through that area, my men felt protected. You know, at least we had put a lot of artillery out in front of us before we walk through.
Speaker 2: You're giving them the best opportunity in the situation to move through that to live. They're looking at you like, all right, because you have a job to do, and we don't want you to do that to any of us. That's the job they want you to have to do. They don't want it to be done so blast that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they wanted to know that their welfare was foremost in my mind over bodycoumt.
Speaker 2: Yes, And obviously, I mean for the situation. I'm not trying to make light of war, okay, but when you're in it and you're doing your job as told, you're just clearing a path for your men to move through the fight. And so so you know, as we just talked about previously, you know, in your book it talks about war and you know, being trained to lead and like born to kill. You know, it's just this this thing. Then you get out and do you ever look back and feel like there's an atrocity situation that happened to Vietnam. Can I ask you that, do you feel like, you know, what's your thoughts looking back today to then? I know you went, my dad went, you know, the whole nine yards.
Speaker 3: I was there at the height of the war sixty eight to sixty nine, and that was well before the Cali atrocities and some of the other things that happened. And the whole character of the war changed as you hit seventy and seventy one seventy two, because the American soldiers figured out that this was not a war we were going to be able to win. But when I was there, it was still on the cusp of transition from we can win this. We're going to prevent Communism from taking over the South, and that's right. We're defenders of the face, defenders of democracy. But once seventies came in to effect, that whole attitude changed in American soldiers. Nobody wanted to die for a if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, hey, you know, so, you know, there's got to be another cause, right, could have maybe let the French fight it out, or could have let the Japanese and the Vietnamese fight it out. When they're originally ticking off each other in the beginning, and then the French were there, and then they called us up to come and you know, in the fifties, late fifties, to come and try to help, even early fifties, right like we're there, like fifty one fifty five, you know, and then all of a sudden you get jfk saying we need a special warfare, we need to have That was like in fifty two fifty three he's like green berets. Ye, the British like, take our green beret. We're like, okay, no, I love it. I love the whole story. I know, when I think about how sneaky the enemy could be, it reminds me of the movie with John Wayne in the movie The Green Beret, and he's sitting there talking to him. He's like, you never know where the enemy's at, and then all of a sudden, it's got a little dude with an RPG if crawl through his wire while they're sitting there talking to him. In the daylight. Yep, in the daylight.
Speaker 3: It was a pretty amazing time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I had ninety percent of my platoon was were draftees. My platoon sergeant was supposed to be the most experienced man in the unit. They usually have, you know, ten years of experience, but mine went through the instant NCO program and he had his nineteenth birthday.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: So here was supposed to be the most experienced man in the in the unit, and he and I had about the same level of experience in terms of leading leadership and being able to handle these soldiers.
Speaker 2: You guys are rock paper scissoring it together, okay, street right, right, So that's like an FNG type of thing. And you talk about in your book, you know, fucking new guy, freaking new guy, new guy in the field. You know, here you are, lieutenant, you're being coiled up to go over there. You're meeting a bunch of draftees. Who are you know, happen to go? How'd you do it? Like? How'd you guys all? Did they look at you like, smell you a little bit? Or were they like, what's up? Doc?
Speaker 3: We smelled pretty good because we would be out in the field for four to six weeks at a time and no showers. You had enough water to drink and occasionally brush your teeth. That was it. So unless you got it monsoon rain and then you showered off real quick. You know, you could wash a little bit, sure, but your clothes would stand up on their own after about four weeks. But these men were draftees. But we were all in it together. We were all I mean, I ate the same food, I wore the same clothes. I got just as dirty.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But when the bullets started to fly, if you were in a firefight, everybody immediately hit the ground. But you could as the leader, You could actually feel the eyes of twenty eight men on you, saying, Okay, give us some direction, give us an order. What do you want us to do? Stop hugging the ground and praying take action right or wrong? And sometimes it wasn't right. But it was better to give orders and take the steps necessary to combat the situation.
Speaker 2: Decisive decision has to be made and then deal with it and make it.
Speaker 3: It came from ranger school. That was the training we got in ranger school.
Speaker 2: You got to make a decision.
Speaker 3: You know, you mentioned John Wayne, but John Wayne's and John Wayne never served in the military. Oh he did, but his comment, you know, courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway, Yeah, that was the true grit of an officer, of a leader of a small unit in Vietnam. That's what you had to do.
Speaker 2: You know about John Wayne real quick, he was filming The Green Beret and he got to go overseas and work with a unit for like three weeks, an SF unit, and they just kept him inside the fob the Ford Operating Base and didn't want to let him go outside the wire. And they're like, one day it was like, let's go on a mission. And he's like, can I go with you and let me just do it? I'm good, guys, And they're like, you don't tell us how to do our job, and we won't tell you how to act. And that's that right, I mean, all the way to that point, he thought he could go out with them and set Claymores. Yeah he was.
Speaker 3: He was an amazing actor, amazing person, right, And the soldiers just loved the guy, absolutely loved him. I mean I can remember being a Travis Air Force Base waiting for the flight to go over.
Speaker 2: I've been there.
Speaker 3: Everybody was singing that song. I mean they kept playing it on the juke box again and again all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh my dad would played around the house, and I'd listened to it in the armory in the eighties. It's like, you know, growing up in a green Beray culture, in the Rangers style of life. You know, it's just what it is. Man. But you were one of those that went on to get the Ranger and a mission and have that confidence instilled in you from the confidence course, and let me go, let me, let me paint a scenario for you. Okay. So I do wargames in Utah. I do large scale wargames, and we set up ambushes and all this stuff, do night operations, and so here we are in the mountains and I've got probably forty sixty people out in the field and we're playing till about two in the morning. But I'm stalking somebody and we're good at it. We're doing it, and we're stocked. We hear the movement, we hear them brushing in through it, and out of nowhere, before we thought we were gonna engage them, a deer just bolts right out in front of us, a deer. So we use airsoft guns, which are non lethal. And I'm sitting here with this BB gun and this deer and I'm like this deer could like, you know, dear boy, me to death. And I'm just out here. What am I doing? I have a bb gun, So funny, store, that's funny. It's fun and it's funny. Have you ever had a situation and now I'm where it was like you're in an ambush and the jungles all around you and tigers, lions or bears.
Speaker 3: Well, I had too interesting a case like that. One was again, your point man's out in front of you about fifty meters and they passed the word back to have me come to the front. And as I got up close to the point man and the cover man, I noticed they're lying on the ground and behind cover. And here I'm walking down the trail and I immediately sort of went down to a duck walk. And here in front of me walking up the trail was an enemy soldier about fifty feet away, maybe seventy five feet away, and he's got his rifle on his shoulder and he's looking at me, and I'm looking at him. So I have my weapon in my hand. I had an AR fifteen out of sixteen, and I flip it to full automatic. And we carried twenty magazines with eighteen rounds in a magazine, and that weapon would fire eighteen rounds in two and a half seconds. Two and a half. You didn't even have to aim. You just pointed it and it rode from the lower left to the upper right. And that's exactly The weapon performed exactly as it's supposed to. And the bullets just traced a path from the lower left to the upper right. And this soldier fell dead.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, it's different kind of animal.
Speaker 3: But the point man had alerted heard this man coming up the trail and they called me up to the front. But I'm looking at them and they're on the ground behind cover and I'm just.
Speaker 2: Staring at the sky. So they didn't even know exactly where he was. But you're just eyes to eyes with him and got the drop, that's right.
Speaker 3: And he had his weapon on his shoulder and I had mine in my hands ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wasn't ready, was it. He had slung up and you were just carrying it. Yeah, you're like, what's up. That's the way we can't.
Speaker 3: We never put our weapons on our shoulder. We've never slung our weapons. We always carried them. Now we kept it unsafe. The only man who was allowed to have it on fullto was the point man. Everybody else had to have their weapon on safe, loaded with rounds in the chamber, but on safe. Occasionally the point man would trip and fall and pull the trigger and everybody would hit the ground, which is scary, and the word got passed back, it's okay, it's okay, just he tripped. He tripped, It's all right, no problem.
Speaker 2: So is that something through like special training that they talk about that, because my dad also talked about like never having a sling and always carrying it around the ring, you know, just like always on a march or whatever. He's never slinging it and you know, never he says, if it's not in your hand, it's not ready. That's what he said. Yeah, that's right, that's right. Huh.
Speaker 3: The other interesting occasion, going back to your question, was I came up with this very creative idea with our mortar platoon to set out trip players in a saddle between two hilltops that were about about a kilometer away. We have happened to have a night defensive position and DP and we could over these two hilltops with the saddle in between. We had a direct line of sight was unusual, and I came up with this wonderful idea to sighte in the mortar on the on the saddle, and we walked out and put trip flares right along the saddle because it was a natural point for the enemy to come through. So we had a man stay up, you know. We had guards awake and alert all night long, and all of a sudden, about two o'clock in the morning, one of the trip flayers goes off and we started pumping mortar rounds down the tube everything we had. So the next morning we went out to look at the area where all the mortar rounds landed. We ended up killing about three gazelles.
Speaker 2: Three gazelles tripped your flare. Oh wow, bad day for the gazelles. Yep, good thing. They only give you twenty five rounds. I know, it's a mortar. It's totally different, not artillery.
Speaker 3: This was a order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have any of those.
Speaker 3: Six or eight rounds. That's all we could shoot, that's all we could carry. I mean they brought they would bring in supplies to us every night by helicopter and then come in the morning and put it back on the chopper.
Speaker 2: And just reload you that way.
Speaker 3: That was Yeah, couldn't carry that much weight.
Speaker 2: Wow. So that's the cowboy hat. Guys with the rope around their hat right first calf, I have.
Speaker 3: A hat like that sitting right over here next to me.
Speaker 2: That's legit. No, that's yeah. You're what movies are made of. I have to say that, you know. And do you find any movies out there that you've seen? Did you can suck? Can you muster it? Or do you just move on from those?
Speaker 3: I can kind of move on from them, Yeah, I can't. Many of them had parts that were very well performed, were well done, yeah, but you always look at things like the uniform and how clean it was, and whether there were any patches on it, and whether they were wearing their helmets and whether the helmet had camouflage on them. And there were a number of things that mediate giveaways, you know, mostly how clean the uniforms were, right, Yeah, we did not. We were not clean. We were dirty.
Speaker 2: It's the little things Like in Rambo, my dad would always say at the end of it, they would all die. I'm like why, He's like, well, the RPG in the helicopter when he shoots the helicopter down. It would blow all the POW's way in the back because he holds up this RPG in Rambo, you know. And it's like my dad would always just say, as he'd look over at the TV, oh yeah, they'd all die, a little twelve year old me learning, you know, the little things. It's the little things. It's the little things it is. But today you have TV shows that are using airsoft guns like what I work with to use in these movies and use them to you know, society the real gun aspect, and they're a lot more cost effective, less lethal first and foremost, and they look the same. So Hollywood, hit me up and hit up my man Robin too. Please, do you have a movie coming out or anything? What's going on?
Speaker 3: No, I'm just working to try and promote my book and get people to read it and buy it so that you know. My publisher is actually in the UK Case Made Publishers, and they did a beautiful job on the cover. I'm very very happy with the cover and the design. They included a lot of photographs in the book and I was very very pleased with the production. But their marketing department here in the US is a small operation so and I come from a publishing background, so right here, I know.
Speaker 2: I'm not the fanciest, you know, it's me and you and we're doing the show. And I got my phone up. But you can see on the cover right here at the back of the first half patch on the helmet and then out the door, probably the gunner's door. There, you've got a line a column of all of these. Huey's probably just going and he's got the book right there. Yeah, show that. Oh yeah, Vietnam Combat.
Speaker 3: Now you do know that that first camp patch was was added to the back of the helmet. All all the chopper pilots did have various different stickers and things on the backs of their helmets, but mostly it was ID I had that added.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, right, because you just wanted to make that a point. Yeah sure, yeah, no, I mean you got to be why not. And they probably love it, I'm sure you know, oh yeah, one hundred percent. This is gonna be huge with the first first.
Speaker 3: Instantaneous they know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're showing it off right here software dot Com, Rad and Robin talking about first Cave baby all day. Look at that column of Hughey's in that picture. You guys got to go check out this book, Vietnam Combat, Firefights and Writing History, Robin Bartlett. You know, there's so many reviews. Everybody's talking good about it. Can you get it locally? Is it online? What are we going to do with it? How were we going to get it?
Speaker 3: You can get it at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. It's in a lot of bookstores. You can also buy it off my website, which is www dot Robin Bartlett dot Robin Bartlett a third dot com.
Speaker 2: Robin Robin Bartlett, author dot dot com. And we'll have that put on the website down below our you know, our conversation here so when folks that might be reading it, they can just tap on that. So we'll make sure that that goes right to your link so that it gets that.
Speaker 3: And they'll get an autograph copy with free shipping and save thirteen dollars off the cover price. How about that?
Speaker 2: Yes? And you're supporting you know, local if you will, that's right, local American And also it's out of England. You know your publisher. Give them a shout out again and thanks for believing in you to write your story. And whoever took the I mean really a lot of folks are like, how do I write a book? How can I get published? How can I how can I you know you've done it? Is there is there something that you can maybe give my listener who might be let's say they've written something. Let's say they've gone and they've written something and they don't know what to do with it. What's your advice for somebody.
Speaker 3: The one thing that helped me the most was that I had a college actually a college classmate who was with me in Vietnam, but his wife, also a college classmate, was just an incredible proofreader. She went through that manuscript, caught every misplaced comma, every misspelled word, and ask a whole ton of WTF questions. And I figured if she didn't understand what I was talking about, I needed to rewrite. So that was probably the most important thing that I did. And I also demilitarized it to find every acronym, every term.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: And I had some people read it, a couple of women, and she said and they told me that, I guess you just want to sell this to the military, right, And I said, no, I want this to appeal to general readers too. I want people to understand about the war. And they said, well, you need to add more of yourself, more of your emotions into the book. And I remember that my mother had saved every letter that I wrote home, over one hundred letters, and she kept them in the envelope so they were all date stamped, and I put them in chronological order and re read every letter that I wrote home, and I reached in and I grabbed snippets of the letters and I put them into appropriate chapters so.
Speaker 2: You could read.
Speaker 3: You could read what I wrote about what happened, and then you could read what I wrote home about and they weren't always quite the same story.
Speaker 2: I'm okay, everything's good. I love you, don't worry.
Speaker 3: I know I haven't written for a while. But by the way, I was wounded, but I never told.
Speaker 2: Him I know you got or what no.
Speaker 3: I never told him. And the way they found out is I sent a box of stuff home and it had my purple heart in it, and that's how they found out that I had been wounded.
Speaker 2: The enemy's marksmanship badge, or as my father called it. It's like, I don't want that.
Speaker 3: The only award that's awarded by the enemy, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, He's like, I don't need it. I don't want it. You don't want it, That's what he would tell me, don't ever want that. Nope, it's like, how can we don't have a purple heart? Little me, little me and all the little questions, you know. But now I'm forty five year old me and he's up above with my mom. So, like I said, I love to immortal lives my dad and my mom in here because you know, we want to keep their names going. So John and VICKI radel out there forever right now. So you like to just like that. You're a good dude, Robin, and a good dude, sir. I give you that salute, sir. And you know what's your hobbies today? How are you just? Are you just writing another book? Are you just gonna go surf out?
Speaker 3: I'm still I still work full time, Okay. I actually work for my college and I call senior alumni and I try and get them to pony up dollars for the college. So that's what I do on a part time basis, and I'm very active. I'm actually thinking about writing another book, but I want to write it as a fiction account. One of the best books so I've ever read is by Carl Malantes Matterhorn. It is the finest, probably the now he was a marine, so I have to give him a little bit of a hard time there. But it's one of the finest books I've read. And he's written two non fiction books which did pretty well, but his matter Horn went to the Moon. Sure. I think it's because it was a fictionalized account, and that's what I have in mind. Once I finished the promotion of this book, I've got a lot more stories in me and I'd like to go back. But I believe in embellishment a little bit. Maybe here there.
Speaker 2: Right, Sure you can have a big beer to be a second lieutenant in Vietnam and look like me. You could be me and Vietnam right now, go ahead, cast me. It's okay, I'll be here. I'll play you. I'll do that. Just give me those glasses. Where's mine?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 2: I wanted to give you my eyes right here so you can see them. They're there. I just wanted you to know. Let me put these back on, though. See that's how you should look in noam right here there?
Speaker 3: You go right well, And if you look at one of the pictures in my book. I'm wearing those glasses.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I call it my badass photograph.
Speaker 2: All right, that's Elvis, baby. I got to give it to the King and hail to him. These are the Elvis shades. You know. I met my wife wearing these twenty three years ago. This is not just a thing I got sucked into. I thought, who's cool? Elvis absolutely a glasses brother, like what you're wearing. He's the king. He is. If only his colonel would have let him go travel to England. I never until I saw Elvis, I never knew that he was confined to Vegas like that. Huh.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that either.
Speaker 2: You didn't know. No, he was. He was trapped like a lion in the zoo. His colonel was like, oh, it's too dangerous for you to travel. Elvis, He's like, but they want me over there. He's like, but it's too dangerous because he didn't want to go because, oh, you gotta watch that movie. Have you not seen the Elvis movie?
Speaker 3: No, I haven't seen that. I'll have to watch it.
Speaker 2: Please do that, Okay. I had no idea Elvis was trapped. The Beatles like come over, and he's like, why can't I go over and they're like it's too dangerous. They offered him f like four million dollars. He didn't know that. His managers like denied it, just kept him at the Vegas casino. Man. Yeah, you know Elvis wanted to come visit another veteran right there, Elvis Presley, Oh yeah, baby. When you write your book, I'd love to have you on again. If you're going to write something out or you do come up with something that's fiction nonfiction. I think my point what I was going to say is when it comes to nonfiction, and when I've interviewed folks who have written nonfiction, there's a little bit of a scare thing when they have to write something that's real. Yep, right, how am I going to write this? You know who wants to read data?
Speaker 3: Well, I was raising a family. It took me ten years to write this book, sure, because I was raising a family and I had a job that took me on long airplane plights. So that's when I wrote. I would whip out my laptop as long as it wasn't too bumpy, and I'd work on a chapter. And my favorite author is Stephen King, and he talks about In a book called on Writing, he talks about falling into the typewriter, and by that he means you become so engrossed in the story you're writing that you block out everything that's going on around you.
Speaker 2: M you see it.
Speaker 3: And that's what happened to me. I would be so involved in writing this chapter and recalling what happened that it was just amazing how much detail my mind could bring back. I would come away from some of these writing events just sweating with perspiration on my face and recalling the events. I could see the colors, I could smell the smells. It was pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Yeah, you were just it was vivid. You were just there. It was almost like out of body experience with Yeah, really one hundred percent. You're really passionate, emotional about it. And I think you're going to put that right into your writings. And I don't think you should have a problem writing a fiction book. It should be probably pretty fun. I think you want to do it.
Speaker 3: I got to work on some technique, but yeah, that's the next goal that I have for my writing.
Speaker 2: I love that. And so, since you are a Stephen King fan, you.
Speaker 3: Said that, right, Oh, yeah, I've read every one of his books. Now, I just saw Boogeyman, So.
Speaker 2: I just I just want to let you know about trying to boast or brag. But I have a little Stephen King something for you. So he's born in September twenty first. I was also born on September twenty first. Cool okay. But I also play Andy McGee in Firestarter to the fire Starter for Stephen King. Oh that's cool, okay. So in the series for Sci Fi Channel, I have telepathy. She starts fires. Her mom and I met in the Lot six experiment, you know, and then we become one and then we're the only two survivors out of the experiment, and then we marry each other, have her and Charlie goes off and starts fires with her mind. And then the series I was picked up as the reoccurring Andy McGee through all of her flashbacks and all these demons that she dealt with with her fire starting, so she gets hot and bothered later in life. It's kind of interesting, so very cool. Yeah. That was with Dennis Hopper, Malcolm McDowell, Danny Nucci from Titanic. I have to say that, you know, he was like Leonardo's buddy that was stuck down below.
Speaker 3: Oh so yeah, well I have an interesting set of dates as well. You know, the tour in Vietnam was three hundred and sixty five days, and I went over on May the ninth, nineteen sixty eight, and you couldn't determine exactly when you came back. But I actually came back on May the ninth, nineteen sixty nine, one year to the day day. It just happened that way. My wife was born on May the ninth, My youngest son was born on May the ninth, and I have played those numbers in every possible combination to try to win something.
Speaker 2: Never wont to Nickel's see what's going on in August at your house? Is it your birthday? May? No? I know May's the birthday when we were on vacation. Yeah, yes, yes, I'm like, wait there here, so you're trying to figure out the numbers. I'm like, let's go back nine months. All my kids are born in October, so you know it's cold here in Utah in January. Okay at my house because nine months later my kids, all of them are October.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my oldest was born in May, and my second son was born in April, but he came early. So yeah, May is my month.
Speaker 2: Yeah May is your month, nine months before that's your month, homie. Now, I've taken about an hour of our time to talk and and I loved it, and I've had a great time, and I hope you had a great time being here and talking with me just about everything life in general and a great candid conversation. I just want to drop your book again as Vietnam Combat, Firefights and Writing History by my wonderful friend and guest here, Robin Bartlett, the author, veteran and father. And yeah I add.
Speaker 3: One final note. You know, it's very common these days to say to a veteran thank you for your service, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying that. But Vietnam veterans now are starting to walk in the boots of Korean War and World War Two veterans. They're all up there in their high nineties and hundreds. So if you want to acknowledge the service of a Vietnam veteran, the code words are welcome home. And if you say welcome home to a Vietnam veteran, it's a game changer. You will see them stop in their tracks, tears to their eyes, lumps and throat. It makes a big difference. Nothing wrong with thank you for your service, No, but I the home is the code word.
Speaker 2: I could not agree with you more. And honestly I say the same exact thing. And I was going to tell you, welcome home. You have you are for sure. I know it was tough and it wasn't a wanted thing and it was a very different time then. We live in Iraq and Afghanistan. Everybody coming home after nine to eleven and everybody's like these big, huge greetings. So from me for my father and my welcome home to yourself, and thank you know, and to my listener, welcome home to you as well. And we do welcome you home. And you know, you can hit me up on Instagram if you want to say hi. I'm cool like that. Whoever's out there, all right, So that's cool. With that said, I'm going to close out one more time with Robin's book Okay, which is Vietnam Combat Firefights in Writing History, and you can check it out, Google it, find it online. You can check soft rep dot com. We could try to get it in the merch not our merch, but our book club if be happy to Okay, we'll work something out'll get a guy to get involved, and we'll try to get you in the book club.
Speaker 3: I'd be glad to.
Speaker 2: And you know, we'll have you back on and we could talk more Vietnam more. That's it, that's it. I got no problem with that, and we'll dive right into it. I'm not trying to be those podcasts that take fifty minutes to get in ten minutes at the end of the juice. That's why we went write at it. So thank you for your stories. Thank you all right, and it's been a pleasure. Okay on behalf of Robin Marlott and my name is Rad sayin peace.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to your self Red Radio.
Speaker 2: H