Speaker 1: Ring Ring Ring Ring man, I please speak with Zoe.
Speaker 2: Oh hello, Lamarn, let's patch in Hannah.
Speaker 3: God, I forgot what it was like working with you guys.
Speaker 2: Hi, Eric, Hi, Hi, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you for having me. I'm excited.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, this has been I know it's been forever.
Speaker 6: I know, I know it's been the last time I worked with you guys, you were pregnant, Zoe.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, and I have My youngest is five now, so that's.
Speaker 2: A long time.
Speaker 4: That's crazy. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. So what's up.
Speaker 5: I'm so excited to talk about one of my favorite all time episodes of New Girl. Yes, yeah, me is a personal top three top three truly, I mean, so much awesome stuff going on. So wait, Eric, was this this wasn't the first one you did with us?
Speaker 3: Or was it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was the first one, because you did it quite a few, Yeah, yeah, three of them maybe yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: I did the one in the Bar, I did the flashback episode in the bar, right, and then I did the one with Henry Winkler and Julie Haggerty.
Speaker 2: Or like, yeah, oh my god, that was him.
Speaker 6: Talking about trains. But but yeah, this was this was my first one. This was my first one, very exciting.
Speaker 3: Remember do you remember getting the call or did you have fret? Like how did you get on the New Girl director's circuit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that was the year.
Speaker 6: It was kind of like my first year of directing a lot of at work TV episodes. I had done an episode of the Office the year before, and it was like that was like my first network TV thing, and then the following year that all the the Office episode is very well received, So like all of a sudden, like my dance card was full the following year, and yeah, it was really uh.
Speaker 1: And then you came on over to the greatest show and television, the.
Speaker 3: Humblest show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's it's all coming from Lamar inside the most humble.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I remember my first conversation though, when they went when I found out which episode I was doing it, they sat me down and said, so, we have to do a Ford commercial in this episode.
Speaker 5: You know what's funny is I remember actually, you know when it came out, it kind of like people kind of saying something out it, but it's.
Speaker 2: Like it doesn't matter at all.
Speaker 5: It was actually nice that we were able to say a brand name, because that's so what those things are.
Speaker 2: They're there to sell, you.
Speaker 5: Know, And it just happened to be that we had this like kind of Ford tie in, and it I think allowed us to have a bigger budget for the episode.
Speaker 4: Maybe I think so too. I think so.
Speaker 7: My question to you is, did you get credit for both directing a television show and also a commercial commercial reel?
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, no, at least an opportunity, my.
Speaker 6: Friend, because it does it does feel like just it feels like a scene. It's so it's like very well integrated into the episode.
Speaker 5: Well, also I get stuck in the car and fall out of the car.
Speaker 3: We do a full show? Was that their pitch from Ford, like they wanted to do a car show or is that just what the writers kind of came up with and gave to you.
Speaker 6: I think it's what just what the writers came up with. Like I remember Fox, I think it's that Fox like had this deal with Ford and all the shows like on American Idol, it was easier they just like Ford would do those little music videos an American Idol, and I think like all the Fox shows had to like work forward into something at some point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's how it was pitched to.
Speaker 2: Me, but it kind of worked to I don't know better.
Speaker 5: Than there was another episode where I remember Lauren, I think you might. It was all the guys had to be like, this is so cool. We could open the trink with our foot.
Speaker 1: Was there was?
Speaker 5: There was?
Speaker 1: There were a few. There were?
Speaker 2: Yeah, was that Ford or was that something else?
Speaker 4: That round?
Speaker 1: I think that's it was the Foscape.
Speaker 7: I think that's what Damon called this car, the Foscape, the Ford Escape.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's right, and.
Speaker 2: Then brand courtesy of Samon.
Speaker 7: Folks, if you're just tuning in, we have a fantastic show. We are recapping episode five of season two Models and you know, obviously you've been listening. We've got writer director Eric Appel. Now obviously he just spoke about all the things that he's done. But where are you now? Obviously because a new girl, we've we've turned your life around. I made an honest man. Now to you tell us about what you're working on now? Obviously some great things working with some of my heroes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just I did a movie this past year for the Roku channel called Weird The Al Yankovic Story which is a y which is a like satirical biopic about weird Al Yankovic that we co wrote together and I directed and Daniel Radcliffe is is stars as as Weird Al himself and I actually.
Speaker 4: It did.
Speaker 6: I just got a I got nominated for a DGA Award, which is funny. We're sort of you know, it's like a satire of Awards movies and now it's like becoming a legit Awards movie, which is really funny.
Speaker 3: That's on brand for this town.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So folks, what we're gonna do now is we're going to jump right into We're gonna do things differently from what you've what you probably remember about the show. So we're going to recap this episode with the fantastic director Eric Appel. If you don't remember this episode, we encourage you to go watch it, but I'll dive.
Speaker 1: Right into it.
Speaker 7: It's CC's birthday and she's turning a young forty eight years old but.
Speaker 1: Africat held.
Speaker 7: But our girl is torn between the decades old tradition of clueless and promtal addresses with jess and and living it up at the club with her model friends. That's right, Nadia's back Nadia is back and she's drinking vodka through her butt.
Speaker 5: Sure what that is, but it's kind.
Speaker 4: Of there's a lot, there's a lot of butt ugging.
Speaker 7: But if you folks saw the episode, then you know what I'm talking about, not just being weird like I normally a Now, when she tries to merge her two worlds, just gets her feelings hurt and she gets her boobs punched. Now, meanwhile, Schmidt and Nick, they're also at the crossroads in their relationship.
Speaker 1: Schmidt gives Nick a.
Speaker 7: Box of cookies, and the sincerity it throws Nick throws him way off. He just wants, you know, he just wants a turtle. That's it, and Schmidt is hurt that Nick doesn't think of him. Now, the next morning, Cec wakes up too hungover to do her modeling gig and just does not want her friend to get in trouble at work, so she offers to do.
Speaker 1: The job you spoke about that earlier.
Speaker 7: Now, the negative perception of modeling is shattered when miss Day learns firsthand how difficult it is to wear heels at.
Speaker 1: A rotating stage. I mean, come on, man, this is modeling. One I know how to do.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 1: Everybody knows how to do it.
Speaker 7: That Jesse makes a terrible model, obviously, but she remains a wonderful friend. Nick gathers up courage to be vulnerable with Schmidt. Everyone leaves this episode better friends. And that's what happened in this episode. And also Winston was there.
Speaker 3: I think, uh yes, Episode two oh five Models directed by the Eric Appella and written by Josh Melmoth his Wheelhouse Models.
Speaker 5: So what do you remember, Eric about directing this episode?
Speaker 6: Oh, man, I remember a lot about directing this episode. I actually there's actually a funny story about this episode that is like inn a pel Family classic.
Speaker 2: Ooh, we have to hear it.
Speaker 6: So I don't know if you know this or remember this, but the Model Scout. There's a flashback scene where young Jess and young c c are approached by a model scout and that is my wife. That is that is playing the play the Mottle Scout.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my god.
Speaker 6: But the reason that it's such a funny story is my my wife at the time was doing a lot of acting, doing a lot of commercials, little bit parts on TV shows and whatnot, and she got the call to come in an audition to play this model scout.
Speaker 4: Now, no one knew that she was my wife for acting like her last name was different, like as an actress.
Speaker 3: Yeah see, I was gonna say this was a whole NEPO.
Speaker 6: Baby, So your wife.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 4: So she told me.
Speaker 6: I remember her telling me, like, I'm I'm I just got called in for your episode, like thank you, and I'm like, I didn't put you up for this randomly, you got called in to play.
Speaker 4: The model scout. But I'm like, I feel it's weird.
Speaker 6: I pictured the mole scout to be like older and frumpier for some reason, right, So I'm like, yeah, I'm like it just feels I don't know, it kind of feels like I'm like, you're more of a model.
Speaker 3: Type, you know, winning all day long.
Speaker 6: But anyway, I'm like, I'm not going to tell people. I felt weird about telling people that.
Speaker 4: She was my wife, Like I didn't want to get her hired or anything, but you know, because.
Speaker 5: We're not hired, right, Yeah, Like you don't want to affect it anyway you want to didn't.
Speaker 6: Want to affect it anyway, but I did say, I'm like, don't so don't be bummed out if you don't get this because I you know, I don't know if people like maybe everybody's picturing someone different in this role too.
Speaker 7: My my question to you is do you do you how do you direct her?
Speaker 1: Is it fine?
Speaker 8: It's fine, but but anyway, so I I I'm like, I'm not going to weigh.
Speaker 6: In first, and Liz is the first person to weigh in and give her picks for the role, and she picks my wife first, and I was like, so then I chimed in and I'm like, hey, I didn't want to say anything, but that Johanna Parker is actually Johanna pell That's my wife.
Speaker 4: And I'm so glad that.
Speaker 6: You, like organically, you know, came to this, uh, picked her on your own.
Speaker 5: Well, I actually will say that that's most of the time, Like I know people who like are model agents and stuff like that, and they're usually kind of really like put together an attractive and like, so I think I think that's it was the right thing which I.
Speaker 6: Came to, which like I came to realize because I have to. I have a ten year old and an eight year old daughter, and we've been approached at the mall of a couple of times he's so funny, you know, by people who I think are just trying to get you to sign up for acts. Yeah, but by the way, my daughter's like, they want me dad.
Speaker 5: This is like, you know, I actually have a funny story about this. Like in high school, I was like hanging out them at the mall with my two friends and this super creepy guy came over to us and was like, you guys should be models, and we were like, uh, you know, I was really skeptical because I was always suspicious. And I remember he was like, oh, some of your friends from He said what school do you go to? And we told him and he said, oh, some of your friends have modeled for me. And he had a book full of pictures and he had pictures of some girls from our class and we were like fifteen guys.
Speaker 2: It was very creepy.
Speaker 5: And then he gave us his card, and I remember my two friends were kind of.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, he thinks we're models. That's so cool.
Speaker 5: And I took the card and I hit it and I threw it away and my friend was like, oh, do you have that card? And I was like, oh, no, I don't have anymore because I didn't want anybody to get like catfish into like some kind of like you know, trafficking ring.
Speaker 1: You find out later that that man was Steven Spielberg.
Speaker 5: That man was not Steven Spieler. That man was more like Jeffrey Upscene. Jeff Yeah, but like very creepy. Yeah, like yeah, you gotta gotta watch out for teenagers hanging.
Speaker 2: Out them all by themselves.
Speaker 6: But yeah, so that's my that's like my main That's why this episode is so you know, so special to uh, to us at my house. But I remember, I remember so much of it, and you know, watching it back, I watched it back last night and and you know, so many memories kind of came flooding back. It's so funny to know, you know, you watch a scene and you're like, that was day one. There's the first scene I shot.
Speaker 3: What was the first scene that you shot at this episode?
Speaker 6: The first scene was after the cold open. It was the first scene of act one. It was Nick watching the Turtle the Turtle documentary on TV. And yeah, Jess comes comes in dressed up to go out for the birthday party.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, how did you guys pick that outfit? This? What was it like? Ballet bellerina turned shirt walker.
Speaker 5: I actually, that's so funny that you say that that was a dress I had at home.
Speaker 2: That was my dress really and uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it was like a dress that.
Speaker 2: My my friend was a designer. And I love that dress.
Speaker 5: It's gorgeous, and I like, it's actually really like it's I don't know if it's like it's not like it's it's ready to wear, but it's like, really, it was a really nice dress. But I brought it in because I knew that it was like a body condress that I felt like looked good on me. So I know they wanted like a body condress. So I was like, all right, I've.
Speaker 2: Got one.
Speaker 1: Body con dress. Is what is a body condress?
Speaker 5: Body condress is like a really form figure like tight dress. It's like Kardashian. It's something that has stretched to it and is normally really tight. It's like a dress that has has some some some it's.
Speaker 1: Like a it's like a box of brief but for all.
Speaker 2: Over exactly exactly. But a dress that's yeah, that's nice, that's nice, that's.
Speaker 5: What yeah, every yeah, yeah exactly, And and I feel like that's kind of like what the Kardashians always wear They're always in body con. So yes, that that dress. Yeah, and you know what I remember, I remember so much about shooting this episode, like it felt like legendary to me, like our whole you know, like everything about it felt like legendary. But then what I realized watching I was like, oh, but the guy's part of this episode was totally legendary too, Like give a.
Speaker 2: Cookie, Get a Cookie?
Speaker 5: Is like is one that a lot of people quote and are always asking, you know, Jake and Max about all the time they I think someone thought, I remember when we talked to Malmoth that that a lot of people had thought that that was improvised, that give a cookie, get a cookie, Get a cookie, give a cookie. You know that that was improvised, but it wasn't.
Speaker 2: It was written.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's the cross section of you know, great directing, great writing, and great acting right there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that scene, that was a memorable scene. I remember Jake like actually like real tears, like getting emotional in moment like.
Speaker 4: I And.
Speaker 6: It was like pretty early in my directing career, and you know, I remember just like, wow, this is crazy, this is crazy. I didn't it was unexpected in that moment, but it was like really like I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, he's like really going for it.
Speaker 2: This is amazing, This is amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the girls are flying fists and the boys are just crying.
Speaker 7: In moments like that when you're working with a guy like Jake Johnson, who we come to know as a person who probably can't read.
Speaker 1: So I mean, and I.
Speaker 7: Say that in Jess, but he loves to improvise, like he loves it a lot. Now does that throw you off when you come on the show, you know, like you said so early on your directing career, with a cast of people that love to improvise and a crew of writers and showrunner who love to improvise, How did you work with that?
Speaker 1: How did you deal with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean luckily that's sort of so I came from the upright Citizens Brigade Theater, Like I started there, you go, Yeah, Like I started at UCB in two thousand and two in New York, and you know it was on like a house improv team there with like Ellie Kemper, and I kind of came up with that whole that that whole generation of you know, Adam Pally and Ben Schwartz and Aubrey Plaza and Donald Glover like those were all my you.
Speaker 4: Know, classmate in improv class back in the early two thousand so, And I honestly, I think that's kind of what got me hot.
Speaker 6: Like I was sort of the new face in like directing you know, network TV comedy, and there was so much improv across a lot of shows from the office to I did a lot of happy endings episodes as well. And yeah, yeah, because I was someone that could just get in there and like roll with the improv and pitch new things and just like I kind of knew how It's just a world I came from, like a very collaborative comedic world.
Speaker 7: Were you allowed to pitch a lot of stuff here on our show, you know, I know there's some certain parts the Russian cartoon, you know what I mean, the Russian car, the monkey Cracker thing, like there was an animation to.
Speaker 2: It really does look like me.
Speaker 5: It really, I really do resemble that.
Speaker 6: That was so that was so good and like the music that Ludwig wrote for it, and yeah, like that whole Monkey Cracker.
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny.
Speaker 6: There's a part in the episode there's like this dance Monkey part. I'm like, I wonder if the song dance Monkey. You know that song dance Monkey?
Speaker 4: Have you ever heard that?
Speaker 6: Oh, there's there's this like pop song from a couple of years ago called dance Monkey, and.
Speaker 4: Really I knew it.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I wonder if this was somehow influenced by like this dance Monkey episode where she's telling Jess dance Monkey.
Speaker 4: But yeah, the monkey Cracker thing monkey Cracker.
Speaker 3: Were you involved in like directing the animation or did that just come fully packaged to you?
Speaker 6: No, the animation was like a fun surprise for me when I saw the episode.
Speaker 3: That circle.
Speaker 2: Wolcoh.
Speaker 5: I actually remember Josh Mammoth like coming up to me like when we were shooting later, because they were like still working on the animation, like while we were shooting it, but like a few episodes later and was like, do you want to see the monkey Cracker thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I was really, I'm like, I've never I never knew how much I looked like a Russian monkey.
Speaker 2: It sells crackers, yes, because I can being like how am I how are they going to make this monkey look like me?
Speaker 5: And I'll go, oh, okay, I get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all the eyes. It's the eyes on the banks.
Speaker 5: It's the eyes and the banks the monkey. Yeah really had really good banks.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, the eyes and the banks do all the heavy lifting.
Speaker 3: Yeah truly, Eric, I have to ask you about meeting Rebecca who plays Nadia, Yeah, for the first time. Were you uh surprised by her when she changed from her beautiful a British accent into her crazy Nadia accent? Did she improv any of those crazy lines in that cold open?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean I can't remember what exactly she she improvised or what was thrown out to her in the in the moment, but the transformation of her getting into that character, yeah was it was pretty amazing and so funny the random things that you know, come out of her character's mouth. And yeah, she was so such a blast to work with. There's that really funny moment with the the Wilmer Vilderama. But I remember her, like the accent on saying his name was really funny.
Speaker 4: It was just like a slight Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't remember, but it was.
Speaker 7: It was great about that is that that was a callback from this from season one?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 7: I would just mentioned she mentions him about all the things about America that she likes. I think that was what the bit was, and Wilmer Valdorama was one of them, and it was to see that.
Speaker 6: She meets she meets a guy at a bar who pretends to be Wilmer to go home with her.
Speaker 7: One thing that I found interesting about this episode was, and I want to question you guys about this, the the relationship between Nick and Schmidt. Nick being uncomfortable, He's uncomfortable and weirded out that Schmidt thinks about him. Is that is that weird to you guys, that your friend would tell you that they think about you often.
Speaker 2: That's a friendship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that we're very thoughtful about each other.
Speaker 5: We say I love you to our friends, we say think about.
Speaker 2: You, what we say I miss you.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's very I think I think it's a guy thing.
Speaker 1: Maybe the guy.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You tell us from a male perspective, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Would you think it was weird if your friend, Yeah, if your friend was like, I think about you, like, but you're I feel like you have a lot of female friends, La morn.
Speaker 3: We think about you, we think about you, and we think about you. Yeah, we love you there.
Speaker 7: Yes, I do have a lot of a lot of female friends, but I have a lot of male friends. And you know, I have a list. I have a list of men that I think about, and it's very it's a very short list.
Speaker 6: Jesus, and that's my.
Speaker 1: Brother, Jesus. I think my brother.
Speaker 7: I think my brothers all the time, right, Yeah. And then Lebron James.
Speaker 2: That's it, your friend, Lebron.
Speaker 1: My personal close friend, Lebron Jason.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think for me, like in my not now that I'm in my early forties, I feel like I'm more maybe in touch with my emotions with male friends, and I would be able to say things like I think about you. I feel like, you know, younger when I was single, and you know it just yeah, it's I think maybe it would have been weird I came home.
Speaker 5: I think once you're I think the dividing line is one, once you're a dad, you can say I think about you, but before maybe yeah, maybe not not that you can or can't, but I just mean maybe a guy who's a dad has like an emotional perspective that's different from like a single guy.
Speaker 3: You know, they're in the struggle and they see someone else in the struggle and they're just reaching out across the divide.
Speaker 2: Bets are off once you're a dad.
Speaker 6: It's funny that, but that storyline is so great. I mean, I love that, just kind of the commentary on masculinity and men male friendships and told in such a simple way, like that entire story takes place in the apartment.
Speaker 2: It's all metaphor too.
Speaker 5: It's like one hundred percent, Like it's like the cookie is the metaphor for thinking of someone, and then the turtle or the tortoise is the metaphor or like you know, friendship or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's It's it's nice you could definitely yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, I felt like both the kind of guy storyline and the girls storyline were both little like one act plays.
Speaker 3: I know. But the thing I forgot about it is really the whole episode is answering the question would you still be friends with them if you met them today? And that's what both Nick and Jess are facing, right. I thought I forgot that that that was the thing that joined it together.
Speaker 5: Would you judge a friend that became a model, right?
Speaker 2: Like? Would you? Yeah? I'm asking you.
Speaker 3: No, I'm happy if someone is happy. I'm like, I'm happy for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's funny. You you get why. It's like more like Jess is like, is like you.
Speaker 3: Came from a protective place.
Speaker 5: A protective because she knew her as a kid, and that's not how she thought of her.
Speaker 2: I think, you know that's right.
Speaker 3: I think that was.
Speaker 2: For people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wouldn't judge someone who became a model, but maybe like if you're friends with somebody from when you're you know, seven years old, and you know, you think you're the same, and then one of you ends up becoming a model, and then there are a lot of kind of like surface level things that go into that, right.
Speaker 1: But but could drink it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, a lot of it I think is like the circle that.
Speaker 2: She runs it exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yes, we see that, and we see that come to like in this episode when you're trying you're trying to fit in a little bit with her friends. Oh yeah, to see you know, I thought that was a very fun funny, interesting scene. Talk about that a little bit. Even from the creation standpoint, Eric, there's the the dancing, the mocking. It was also funny to me.
Speaker 3: And then the boob fight, like, oh I have so many things to say about this boob fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the boob fight is really great.
Speaker 3: Do you remember say they offered us. I don't know if you remember this, Eric, if we needed any protection?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I was like, I think we're okay.
Speaker 3: We both are like, I think we're fine, we're.
Speaker 4: Out, But they were didn't You didn't have pads for that?
Speaker 3: No, but I do remember being offered like, do you need any protection around your boobs in case? I think? I was like, I think we can figure out how to fake this to look real. We're not really going to fall off.
Speaker 7: And you know it because my friend I watched the episode last night with a buddy of mine and he and and he knows that I'm you know, like prepping for the recap. And he goes, and he goes, he goes, I need to know how bad that hurt.
Speaker 1: He goes, and I said, the pads on.
Speaker 5: Guys think that boobs like hurt more than they really.
Speaker 2: Yeah right.
Speaker 5: Don't you think, Hannah, that they get this idea that they're some correlation between like boobs and testicles.
Speaker 2: They're very different.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think that they're bad or they think it's like they're they're junk that like boobs are like that. I think there's that confusion.
Speaker 2: Sensitive on that level.
Speaker 3: That's right. But I also think that we have trust that nobody's going to punch anybody, because I remember seasons later when I had to do the scene where I kick next you see kicks Snick in the dick, right, and I was like, we're gonna fake it, like there's this or I punch him. I punch him in the deck and in a bar. I remember that. And they asked Jake, They're like, do you want to cup? And I'm like, oh my god, it's just a fake thing. And he was like, I want a cup and I was like, he's like just in case, I know neither Zoe or I wanted patting or protection cuts.
Speaker 5: Off to post production and the folly artists on this. This was like I I I can't say enough how much the the post production sound had to do with the comedy of the scene, and like it's a super funny scene that works and is written really well, directed really well. It's funny, but it doesn't work unless you have that like slap slap, slap Slappit there was no sound.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make a lot of it.
Speaker 5: Doesn't make any sound, Yeah, but the sound makes it just it just makes.
Speaker 1: It funny because I always thought boops had sound.
Speaker 6: And my my favorite part is it is which which was improvised. It just kind of came out in the moment.
Speaker 4: Was when you start going what you start yelling what at each other?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Because that's what guys to right when they're mad.
Speaker 3: That's right. We got brought up in that.
Speaker 2: What what what.
Speaker 3: The other weird memory that came flooding back to my mind is that I think they were setting up for the the boob Fight because we're doing it downtown, right, and it's like weird.
Speaker 2: It was a warehouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was so gross. And I remember Liz was there and Josh was there, and you were and I was we were just hanging out and I feel like Liz just like lit up like a Christmas tree and you were standing there to Eszoey. I feel like, and it was we just gotten confirmation that Jamie Lee Curtis and Rob Reiner were going to play your parents. I remember that moment and I had to sit down. I was like, are you joking? That to me was just like the hugest casting of like these huge You were.
Speaker 5: Like, these are the sheakest wind chimes. These are the sheakest wind chimes. Are if anybody who gets that gets that?
Speaker 3: And I was, yes, I call my like, I called my parents. I was like, oh my gosh, like our show. I just felt like which was a great show and it was beloved. But I was like that just like elevated the whole thing. And I was going to be sitting in a room with these two incredible people and maybe they would come back and keep being the parents, which they did. But I remember that moment sitting up for a slat boob fight in a downtown wherehouse and hearing that these two huge, you know, movie people were going to join our show.
Speaker 7: Of excitement when you heard about them being cast versus when you heard about me being cast in the show.
Speaker 3: And now I know what they are.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, there's some really funny stuff that I loved, Uh the pops back with the like models and stuff like Eric talk about that, like just the flashback because I thought it was so funny they had them.
Speaker 4: There's the one table, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Like table table is flat?
Speaker 6: Yes, the table is flat. I can't I can't remember where we shot that. It's so funny little pops like building a set just for like one little apartment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was, I remember because we shot it on the same day. We just like flipped it a little bit and we shot it on the same day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, did that would was was that girl that played the model? That was her only episode she was in, right or was she? Yeah?
Speaker 5: But there were all well yeah, and then the other girls who are the models in uh in the warehouse scene and were really funny and everybody like totally committed to this like model stereotype that yeah, yeah, in a funny way, like really being like the sidekick of sidekicks of Nadia, Yes.
Speaker 4: And just being terrible to Jets.
Speaker 2: Yes, monkey monkey dance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like that's.
Speaker 6: Always a fun thing for people to play. Is just like they're being terrible to just but they don't even realize.
Speaker 4: How terrible they're being.
Speaker 6: Like they're having the time of their lives and Jess is just like absolutely crushed by what they're doing to her.
Speaker 4: It's like a really fun tone to hit.
Speaker 7: There's a moment in this which I found it'd be very very interesting and weird at the same time.
Speaker 1: Well, just yes, is it? Ask the guys if you know once the guys, I.
Speaker 4: Know what this. I know exactly what you're gonna say.
Speaker 7: And she asked the guys. She's like, oh my gosh, are you guys? Did you guys watch porn together again?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It's always so awkward, it's.
Speaker 1: So it's such a weird thing.
Speaker 7: I don't I have never done that. I'm gonna just say it now, Eric, have you.
Speaker 6: Done that and born with guy friend? No, that's a very private experience.
Speaker 4: No, that would be so weird. But it's so funny.
Speaker 6: I would love to know what, Like if Josh like, who, who's who pitched that.
Speaker 4: Exactly because it's such a funny minute.
Speaker 3: Text him right now and ask Josh if he's ever watched porn with a friend.
Speaker 5: The level of weirdness, the level of weirdness that the cookie brings up, is the level of weirdness that watching porn amongst friends would bring up. And that is a high level of weirdness. So I think it's a I think really it's a commentary on how weird the cookie made everybody.
Speaker 6: Well that can't Yeah, I love And then all the details that also come out about Schmidt, like aside from the cookie, the other things that he does that you never get to see, Like there's a joke about him doing turndown service, Like every night pillow he puts a chocolate on his pillow, Like you don't like the chocolate, No, I love the chocolate.
Speaker 2: They just eat themselves.
Speaker 4: Then and then you get to see a flashback.
Speaker 6: I think Nick and Schmidt's uh the first time they met.
Speaker 3: Right their origin story, Yeah, yeah, all of that talked with.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Nick's got that mustache. He's like he looks like a deadhead. You know, he's like in a tied eye. He's got this weird mustache. I think he has a fanny pack on.
Speaker 4: I remember.
Speaker 6: What was really fun was their you know, their their dorm room that you got to see because it's the same. It was also one of the really really fun things for me about directing the show is like, oh, I'm like the first show I did was The Office, but then this show, it was like, oh, everyone's my age, Like I'm making a show, you know, I'm directing a show.
Speaker 4: About yeah, my age.
Speaker 6: So the college flashback, it's like, oh, this is when I was in college, and this dorm room looks like my dorm room y you know, like there was a fight club put like Nick had a fight club poster on the wall, and.
Speaker 4: You know, just getting to see some.
Speaker 2: Of those yeah things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how much did you get to inform like their wardrobe or that whole dynamic that kind of happened, or how Schmidt looked or was that all Liz?
Speaker 4: I think that was all.
Speaker 6: I think that was a lot of Liz, Like, you know, I had a little bit of input on just yeah, some of the some of the things in the room and what the room looked like. But I remember when we shot the scene, you know, there was a there was just a really long like there was so much improv in that we just kind of let those guys go. Like once you get you know, Schmits in that costume and like, yeah, they're just both in these like.
Speaker 5: A lot of inspiration, a lot of scope for the imagination there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like I can't remember what exactly was scripted and what wasn't. But Schmid was eating hard ramen, like just the noodles, like crunching on ramen noodles.
Speaker 1: I've seen people do that weird.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Nick's like throwing them in his mouth, but try to get him to catch them one.
Speaker 4: There was like a gag reel or something, or does it play during the.
Speaker 3: End credit credits body slammed?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, the body slam is actually in the episode. But but at the end they're they're like just there.
Speaker 4: Was just like so much gold.
Speaker 1: Throwing the food at his mouth. I think that's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there was. There was so much, so much gold in that.
Speaker 5: Do you remember that that Cake Dude's part at the end was like a reshoot?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I did not, I did, I was you weren't.
Speaker 5: There because I actually remember that, like and I will say, I actually believe this to be like a perfect episode, but that that piece they were like trying to figure out how to make the end work exactly so that all kind of came together, and that Jake really didn't like the cake dudes part, and that he talked about cake dudes for like years afterwards.
Speaker 3: He was like, and then it's.
Speaker 5: Just cake dudes, like he's cake dudes as a thing. But I remember we shot it really fast, like you weren't even there, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we shot it really fast.
Speaker 5: At the end of some like other episode, like when we were shooting another episode, they were just trying to find, you know, the ending that they could you know that would fit in you know, twenty one minutes and thirty five secs.
Speaker 6: I can't can you remember what the original ending was? It was a scene it was everyone around the table. It was around the table maybe or something, and that there was cake there.
Speaker 5: I don't remember, but yeah, it's funny. I don't remember what the original one was, but it probably.
Speaker 4: Might have it. You know, they used to send you a DVD, your director's cut.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, but it.
Speaker 5: Was probably too long because like, do you like everything lived and died by this, like twenty one minutes and thirty five seconds and everything was like that. I mean, it's still true and network TV today, but but like now we watch so many shows that are on streamers and you know, cable and everything. But but it's like it had to be over by then and and there was no wiggle room.
Speaker 6: I remember that this one was kind of tough in editing to get it down to time.
Speaker 2: I bet very much.
Speaker 1: Winston dialogue so much, the whole Winston storyline.
Speaker 4: There was a c story with Wednsday.
Speaker 7: Winston stories on the laptop and it gives why Sage advice from over the screen.
Speaker 6: But there was Yeah, I remember, I want to say that my director's cut was like seven minutes over time or something.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, really long.
Speaker 6: Because I because the so much episode real Estate was taken up by that by the car show, which is this big set piece. Yeah. Remember we talked about it, Zoe being like, you're like a real Lucille Ball moment.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I was so I loved how that, Like, I thought, it was so much fun to do and to work on. And I also have to give props to Monica Bronjer, who's my stunt double.
Speaker 2: Yes, She's absolutely.
Speaker 5: Amazing and like anything that was like unsafe for me to do, Like, she just was like so there and game, and she would like always like watch me get my body language right and then could be so funny and then do something totally dangerous at the same time. Yeah, but that was such a fun sequence to work on. And I I.
Speaker 2: Actually I also.
Speaker 5: The two like car the car announcer, and then I actually know one of those guys who was like the car rob rhiness. He's really funny guy, but yeah, and then the other guy who's like announcing I don't remember that actor's name will have to have to get it, but they when he's announcing, he's he's like trying so hard to keep it professional, but I'm so unprofessionally my eyes like like uh.
Speaker 4: Uh heavy eyelash.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was such a funny thing that like the eyelashes were too heavy for your own. Like Jess is so her element as a model that like she can't even handle like she has weak eyelids.
Speaker 5: Weak eyelids. But it is true because I actually know friends that like don't wear makeup at all, and if you try to put makeup on them, they're so confused. You know, it's like it really throws Stump off their game. But it's also like the heels too. They also put me in the highest possible.
Speaker 3: Doesn't make a comment to about it. He's like, what's on your face?
Speaker 2: Yeah, your face something?
Speaker 4: So I just.
Speaker 5: Actor that played the okay, Yeah, well he was great too. You know a lot of really great people in this episode.
Speaker 3: I just got a text him, Josh, I'm about the watching porn with your uh friend platonically? So I said, who pitched the watching porn together with a platonic friend? Joke? Did this happen to someone? And he goes, I don't remember who pitched it. It's a good point though, And I said, did this happen to you ever? You know, he's got to ask, and he said, no, it has not. But it's funny and I feel like, you see it referenced in movies. Guys will be like, let's go watch porn and it sounds horrible.
Speaker 6: I can't not imagine that being an enjoyable experience.
Speaker 7: Unless your friends at porn star and you're just critiquing no works.
Speaker 2: One does you have to?
Speaker 5: Yeah, are there porn critics like.
Speaker 1: They have the award show? I think they got the award show. I've never heard.
Speaker 6: The thing about it is though, like when you know, if watching porn like getting turned on or something, is like a vulnerable moment, you know what I mean, Like you can't control it. And I think, like, if that's what the awkwardness is about, it's like, oh, I feel too exposed.
Speaker 3: Like credit music.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, it's like a sixth grader getting like a boner in sweatpants.
Speaker 2: Any questions like that just brought back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: My daughter is in fifth grade, my eldest daughter, and uh yeah, it's like the year when like the sex ad and stuff starts to happen.
Speaker 4: Oh, no, she's comes home from school. She's like, Dad, have you heard of a boner? Do you know what that is?
Speaker 6: A kid had a boner six grade?
Speaker 3: Did they have more like trapper keeper so that they could just if they walk down the hall.
Speaker 6: I'm like, if that sixth grader knew that you were at home telling your dad he had a bone at school, he would never forget it for the rest.
Speaker 4: Of his life.
Speaker 2: Die he would die.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's like one of those memories from inside out that like turns into the core memories.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, do you know what time it is?
Speaker 9: It's meme alert timemable moments. Every once in a while, there is something that will happen in a scene of a movie or a TV show that will shatter the walls of said show, something that will stand out in a project so much so that fans will refer to that scene and not even have seen the show. Now, in this episode, we've stumbled across another iconic moment in New Girl history, and we've already spoken about it. This one is truly a fan favorite. Gave me Cookie, Got you Cookie? Now, that meme is a shorthand for wanting to express fond emotions but being unable to do so in a straightforward manner. So let's talk specifically about the filming of that scene and some of the things that you remember. The type of cookie that was apparently that's a very special.
Speaker 2: Cookie, black and white cookie.
Speaker 7: Black and white cookie. I thought maybe he would have given the cookie to me, but.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a black and white cookie that he bit into a star of David. So it's like, the gesture is it's just such so misguided. The sentiment is there, but he went about it the wrong way.
Speaker 7: Now, I remember, Zoe, you said that it was that that was scripted, That wasn't an improvised moment scripted?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was all scripted.
Speaker 5: And I remember specifically Jake in because people have asked about that that moment a lot in like, you know, I remember Q and As, and I remember people saying, like people always asking if that moment was improvised, and always Jake Johnson was like, no, that's Josh Melmoth all the way, who is by the way, when we started New Girle, he was a junior writer, like he had only I think done been on one other show. And like first I remember it was like I was like, this guy is hilarious.
Speaker 2: And just so fun.
Speaker 5: And like like game, you know, he's just he's a fun he's a fun writer to work with.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Have you guys seen this meme go around? Have you have you seen this eric at all?
Speaker 6: I have seen I've seen it in the wild a couple of times, and.
Speaker 4: I'm always like tickled to see that pop up. Yeah, I mean I think.
Speaker 6: Quite a few times I've seen it pop up and yeah, I'm like, oh my god, I can't believe it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: I remember that the cookie thing at the table read killing Like I remember everyone Fox and twentieth and I remember everyone just saying like, no notes, you know, like after the table read, you discuss everything they give notes on on, you know here little things you know to change in the script or to plus up and focus on a little bit more. And I remember it was like the gimme cookie, got you cookie? The cookie thing? We no, no, it's excited to see it.
Speaker 3: And also like set the foundations so deeply for the rest of this series, for the audience to understand how deeply these men love each other, you know, in a spoken way like Jake had to say it, you know, Nick's character had to say it. And I just feel like that was something that just set up so much comedy then and so much stuff that was just understood by the audience and for the rest of the series, which is why I feel so important to the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, to see Nick get vulnerable in a way like that, like he makes fun of Schmidt for crying earlier in the episode, and you know, then then to then he starts crying. You know, it's like such a great moment aside from being hilarious, it's like just works on an emotional level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, such a great scene.
Speaker 3: Should we dive into a little True American?
Speaker 5: Yes, we're back and it's time for True American regular listeners. No, we've switched up the game a bit when we have a guest for the show and now we try to get the truth of their experience on the show.
Speaker 2: Eric, are you ready?
Speaker 5: In episode one of season two, Schmidt decides to throw a party after he gets his penis cast off to announce he's ready to have sex again, which just saying.
Speaker 2: That is ridiculous.
Speaker 5: And the guest list includes a writer from Crank Anchors was that writer you? And would you attend Schmid's party?
Speaker 6: That writer was not me? Unfortunate and sure, I love a party. I will Who is the Crank Anchors writer?
Speaker 5: I remember this episode and I watched it recently, but I don't remember them saying I think they he said the right, the writing staff from Crank Anchors. I think so. They were always those like lists that were funny. Yeah, but you would go to Schmidt's Penis cast On.
Speaker 4: Party?
Speaker 2: I mean, how well would you have to know Schmidt to attend?
Speaker 6: I mean I would go if I barely knew him. I like putting myself in situations that will yield a story that I can tell me too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so funny.
Speaker 5: A lot of people have this are like, have so much social anxiety, and I'm not. It's not that I don't. But I love an awkward moment, like I love if I can have an awkward moment, like I'm excited about it. And so if I get invited to a party where I know nobody, I kind of am like.
Speaker 6: Ooh, yeah, yeah, i'd be I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that party, you know, sort of yeah, in the corner on my phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 3: There's low expectations of you when you're that guy at the party.
Speaker 1: I can't be at an awkward party. I can't.
Speaker 7: I hate awkward and uncomfortable situations. I met Julia Luis Dreyfus once at a party and she was talking to me. We were having conversation, but because because I was so nervous around her and uncomfortable because I had never met her before that, I stopped talking to her and turned around and walked away because I panicked. I panicked. I was like, she's going to find out that I'm stupid, Like she's gonna know that I'm an idiot.
Speaker 1: And then I just left. And my sister's like there was like why would you watch? What's wrong with you? I don't know. I didn't know what to do.
Speaker 7: She was talking to me, and you know, there's like a little like a little stagnant part of the conversation and now it's your turn to participate, and your brain's.
Speaker 5: Like get out, get out, get out.
Speaker 2: Your flight or fight started going.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, that's not horrible, because it's a great story. Actually, something embarrassing just happened to me, and I was like, very kind of actually kind of excited to maybe tell you guys about it. And it just feels like a good moment that I was, like in my neighborhood. I walked past the coffee shop and I saw Don Cheetle, who I know and he's like one of my favorite actors ever and so like I'm still starstruck by him even though I've known him a long time. And I was like, I saw him, I got so excited.
Speaker 2: I was like, done, it's so in. He was really nice.
Speaker 5: And then I walked away. And then next time, I was like near a mirror. I like looked in the mirror and I realized that I'd gotten dressed in the dark and I was wearing like a sweatshirt and that i'd take my kids to school. I'd like got dressed really early in the dark. Jonathan got home like late from New York, and I was like didn't want to wake them up, so I grabbed a sweatter and it had like stains all over, and then the kids had like spilled stuff. So then I had to like write it, like write an email to Don Chia, like hey, so like don't judge me.
Speaker 3: Well I'm okay.
Speaker 5: I felt really good about that like running into but I might have had like crazy like coffee stains.
Speaker 3: All over me. So anyway, there you go.
Speaker 2: When you meet your heroes, sometimes.
Speaker 3: You have.
Speaker 6: My big I get anxious that people aren't going to remember who I am.
Speaker 2: Me too, Zoe, It's Zoe Hi, Zoey Nation.
Speaker 6: Now remember, Yeah, here's what we here's how we know each other. And it's like, of course, I like, I've done that a couple of times. People are like, yeah, I know, I know who you are.
Speaker 1: I know you want to.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, but it is good to remind people out of context because there's so many people people like a lot of times, like people see so many people like I always say it just says my dad used to always do that. He'd be like, Caleb, it's Caleb like and it was good. I could tell, like, you know, it's good to, you know, remind people because of out of context problem.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, because I'm not gonna lee. Even people introduce themselves to me, and we've met a million times. I most of the time I do not know their name.
Speaker 3: I just forget names all the time. I'll know that I'll go like, yeah, what's up, Yeah, Mark or Mike, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty good if I know people, you know, like, but uh, but sometimes you just don't know people well enough to know their name, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Eric, we got one last little segment here for you.
Speaker 5: Okay, Nick's Box, Knicks Box is brought to you by Hyundai. When it comes to your journey, Hyundai is thinking of every mile.
Speaker 3: So welcome back to this segment where we crawl into the back of Nick's closet and pull out the memories that the cast and crew of New Girl have kept hidden for years. You've done a few episodes of New Girl. What is your favorite all time favorite memory from working on the show.
Speaker 6: Oh boy, okay, give me a second to think, give me a second thing about this one.
Speaker 4: You know. I think.
Speaker 6: It's probably the scene in the last after the final episode that I directed. It's this it's shooting this train, this scene where Terren Tarn is rambling on about trains and improvising that was something where.
Speaker 2: He improvised funny, like a ton of.
Speaker 6: Just facts about trains. He's like just a dud of a boyfriend of like a guy that just starts dating and and yeah, so that's the episode. She loves his parents by Julie Haggerty and Henry wink hen are like the best loveliest people in the world. And it's just this like awkward dinner where she's like, gotta break it off and it's like and yeah, I remember just uh yeah, him just going on and on and on about trains and and everyone just like so dying, dying, laughing.
Speaker 7: Dirk he's so funny and asked him if he I said, I said, are those real facts about trains?
Speaker 4: He said, no, I mean, great improviser.
Speaker 5: Thanks for bringing out Nick's box. Hyundai Remember from shopping to buying to owning, Hyundai has your back, like our favorite memories, taking a Hyundai on your journey will keep you feeling safe and more. Learn more at HYUNDAIUSA dot com.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we do this segment called Where's the Bear.
Speaker 1: Bear?
Speaker 3: Because there is this big fan rumor that there's a bear in every single episode you have directed multiple episodes. Did Liz or any writer producer ever tell you, we just need to make sure that we have a bear somewhere in an episode, A little toy bear, a bear on the wall, ever? Said you, Oh my.
Speaker 6: Gosh, I I'm not sure about the bear thing. I'm I think I sort of. I think there's something some bear reference in in that in like the Latvia scene.
Speaker 1: I think there was a lot Via episode.
Speaker 3: Because in this episode there's a bear in Winston's room. So the fan theory checks out for this episode.
Speaker 4: Okay, it checks out for this one.
Speaker 6: I don't know if I was told about the bear in this episode.
Speaker 3: But see, it's amazing.
Speaker 4: If it's there, it's there, possible.
Speaker 3: If it's there, it's there, you can't see. This is a point for me. Thank you, Eric, Thank you.
Speaker 4: That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Eric.
Speaker 5: We might have to have you back to talk about some of some of your other episodes if you're.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would, I would. I would love to. There's I mean, there's so many fun memories. Yeah, the next one I did is like a flashback episode.
Speaker 4: There's more.
Speaker 6: There's Schmid in the at the Christmas Tree lot Winston in Latvia. Yes, yeah, so there's Yeah, there's a lot of really really fun stuff. I would love, absolutely love to.
Speaker 5: Okay, that would be amazing because this was such so much fun. Thank you for thanks for taking the time and and visiting, revisiting, and.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me. It was it was great to see all of you again.
Speaker 3: So nice see you.
Speaker 1: It's such a pleasure to see you, brov.
Speaker 7: Don't forget to like and subscribe everybody, and also feel free to go to our website and pick up some of our merch We've got Where's the Bear merch?
Speaker 1: We get your American merch.
Speaker 7: Welcome to Our Show merch available now.
Speaker 5: You've been listening to Welcome to Our Show, a New Girl recap podcast. Welcome to Our Show is a production of iHeartRadio, hosted by Zoey Deschanel, Lamuran Morris, and Hannah Simone. Our executive producer is Joel Moonie. Our engineer and editor is Daniel Goodman. The Welcome to Our Show theme song was written by zoe de Chanel, performed and produced by Zoe da Chanel and Pierre de Reader. Follow us on Instagram at Welcome to Our Show Pod. If you have a question you'd like us to answer, you can email us at Welcome to Our Show Podcast at gmail dot com. Don't forget to rate, subscribe, and share far and wide.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. We'll hear you next week.