Speaker 1: Hey, what's up everybody? Welcome to the Guiltiest Charge Podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. As always, my name is Stephen and I am the host. In joining me today is my guy Tyler. Tyler, what's man? How you doing this afternoon?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fantastic.
Speaker 3: We have a great interview for you guys and just a bit and Chargers fans. How are you we are as of recording this two.
Speaker 2: Weeks from camp? How you doing? We're almost there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, countdown to camp has officially begun and it's getting closer and closer. I'm really excited about the interview that we have today. As Tyler mentioned, mister Ted Wynn of the Athletic is going to be joining us, talking all things related to Kellen Moore, Brandon Staley. We asked him about j C. Jackson and we just had a great conversation and we'll get to that here second. But yeah, it was very insightful. Can't thank him enough for joining us and hopefully you guys enjoy it. After the interview, Tyler and I are going to sit down and talk about the undrafted free agents that the Chargers have and potentially some guys that could really push for roster spots. Obviously the Chargers have a great tradition in that regard. Obviously recent guys like Austin Eckler and Michael Davis, for example, So certainly possible that the Chargers do have a gem in this undrafted free agent class. And we'll sit down and talk about all of those guys before we get started, before we get to that interview. As always, Tyler and I are fans of the team, just like you guys are. We are independent content creators and as such, the opinions that we share on this episode and every episode are not always reflected of the Chargers organization. These are our opinions and there ares alone. So that's that. All right, Let's get to this interview with miss Ted Winn. Hope you guys enjoy it and we'll see you on the other side. All right, guys, As I said earlier, super excited to be joined by Ted Winn of The Athletic, who does a great job covering the NFL. I know, at least formerly covering the Raiders, but I know specifically you know, doing some x's and O stuff for the Athletic on Twitter, one of the best guys to follow. I participated in a in a spaces with him recently with coach Voss. That was very lightning and they had a ton of fun doing that. So Ted, thanks so much for joining us today. Man, how you doing Bill well, Thanks for having me on. Guys, happy to have you here. Thanks for taking the time today. We have a lot of great stuff to get into, so we'll just dive in. Obviously, the Chargers making, you know, the big move from Joe Lombardi to Kellen Moore, and a lot of people kind of the hype is really starting to build recently with Kellen Moore kind of taking over the offense. I'm curious to get your thoughts here of really just how much of an upgrade you think Kellen Moore could be from Joe Lombardi in the past regime and maybe highlighting how his offense might you know, allow Justin Herbert to take another step in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think it's interesting because you know, Lombardi gets a ton of blame for the offense. Just watching the offense last year, I mean, you know, it's just the same plays over and over again. I'm sure you know the fans are you know, what's what stick routes are by now very well, and then you know it's just a depth of target the type of routes that were thrown, And you know, I think part of it was it was hamstrung by a pretty beat up offensive line too, So you know the health of the offensive line is going to be a major part in whether Kellen Moore can really upgrade his offense or not. But I always have been pretty impressed by what Kellen has done with the Cowboys. And I know he's not a perfect offensive coordinator. I mean, you know, they're there are things that he needs to get better at too, And I think part of it he's a very young coach. You know, if you look at his career, he just went from being an NFL quarterback to being quarterback coach and all of a sudden he's a coordinator. So he just really doesn't have a ton of experience coaching. But I've liked what he's done in terms of creativity, very specific game plans. But I think the biggest thing he can't do for this Charter's offense is to build a dependable run game so that you know it's not always all on Justin Herbert's shoulders, it will help improve the play action game. But yeah, just getting a consistent run game that can get successful gains here down in and down out will be a big boost for the Charges offense.
Speaker 1: I'm curious, sorry, Tyler, to cut you off there, just kind of an expanded question here, because one thing that you talked about after the hiring was Kellen's verbiage that you know, this merging of worlds that he that he's experienced in the NFL. You know, how would you kind of define his coaching tree or not coaching tree. I guess his coaching ancestry if you want to call it that, obviously, you know, coaching for the longest tenure under Mike McCarthy. Do you think that that West Coast Mike McCarthy Sean payn esque offense is going to be kind of what he leans into most or do you think maybe his past under Jason Garrett and his playing experience might lean more into how he kind of approaches this season.
Speaker 4: I think his latest term with Mike McCarthy will probably influence what he does the most. And you know, despite the you know, the the reaon when Mike McCarthy kind of came out and talked about the reasons why they separated With Kellen Moore, he talked about wanting to run more, and it's kind of strange because the Cowboys were like the most run heavy team in the league last year. So I think his experience with Mike McCarthy, you knowably improved his ability to game plan with the run game and his willingness to run in certain situations. But I think he'll probably be more pass heavy. But it's good that he has that experience as far as building out a diverse run game because actually, you know, studying the Cowboys offense, he had a really diverse run game with a ton of concepts, some really creative concepts in there as well. But I do think he'll be more pass happy with the Chargers. But the important thing is just building an efficient run game. It doesn't mean they have to run the ball every first down and just be this kind of beat your head against the wall type of team, but just getting that run game to an efficient manner will be one of the best contributions he could make as an offensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: To your earlier point about Kellen Moore being a younger offensive coordinator, a newer offensive coordinator, what can he do to improve? I think a lot of us are focusing on, Yeah, it's going to be awesome, the offense is going to be great, but there is room for improvement, I'm sure in your eyes, where he can Where can he improve?
Speaker 4: I think just situational football and just kind of and maybe Charger fans don't want to hear this, but just being a little a little more varied, because you know, I think sometimes he can lean into some of the things he likes a little bit, kind of like Lombardi does to a sense, like he you know, he also is a big fan of stick reffs. You know, maybe Charger fans don't want to hear that, but you know, just being a little bit more varied, having a little bit more in the fourth quarter to switch things up, I think would be a good progression for him.
Speaker 3: Is there an opponent or a scheme where he tends to go back to maybe what's safer, what's less varied, because he wants to work with what sort of works within his wheelhouse. Because I feel like that was a common Joe Lombardi complained among a lot of Chargers fans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think it's to a lesser degree than Lombardi and yeah, so it's just strange because you know, we know Michael Carthy had influence on what he was calling with Dallas, So it'll be curious to see what he does when he has a full reign on this offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it certainly seems like that's going to be the case. You know, he talked about this, I believe with Peter Schrager on his podcast that you know, Brand said, he's certainly involved with the offense, but this is Kellen's offense and he's going to be able to take charge of it and play to Justin's strengths. And you know, one of the things that they have both kind of talked about is not necessarily like tearing this down to the studs, but like building off of what the Charges offense has done well and adding some wrinkles in and things like that. You mentioned the Cowboys run approach. You know, the Chargers have talked about like majoring in their strengths. What would you say from the run game perspective, what were the strengths of a Kellen Moore offense in the past few years in Dallas.
Speaker 4: I think just the variety of runs they had they could punish you in a multiple different ways. They were they majored in outside zone. That was their main run, but they had so many different types of runs in their arsenal as well. They could gap scheme you, they could go inside run. They were very effective running out of the shotgun as well, you know, and it wasn't just because they were using Dak on options. They did that sporadically, but they're able to build a really strong shotgun run team without making the quarterback a part of the option. And I think that's going to be good to pair with Justin Herbert because you know, like he has athleticism to run some most option plays, but you know you don't want him do it too often, and obviously, with how effective he is as a passer, you want to keep him in a shotgun as well.
Speaker 3: Moving to the defense now, because there's so much positivity on the offensive side of the ball, and rightfully so, there's always going to be I think with Justin Herbert, But the other side of the ball is a bit more uncertain, and I think why a lot of fans or media members.
Speaker 2: Aren't buying the Chargers.
Speaker 3: But everywhere I look, it seems like all the best and respected film. Guys really do buy Brandon Staley as the you know, defensive genius, elite game planner, schemer.
Speaker 2: Et cetera.
Speaker 3: You had a great article before the wild Card game that highlighted that, and in individual games, as you pointed out, I got Week two against the Chiefs, against the forty nine Ers, against the Dolphins, there are moments of greatness. You know, that elite game planning is there. But in the macro of two seasons, the defense has underperformed relative to expectations. Granted a lot of that is also injuries. So how does Brandon Staley take those flashes of greatness and then translate it to season long success?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Man, that article burns. I wrote that article and things were looking good in the first half of the Jaguars game. You know, they had all those picks. I was like, man, you know, I'm looking like indication this take, what's a really good take? And all of a sudden, the second half happens. I'm like, oh, guys are just like like, guys are commenting in my article as the game was happening, Like I told you, he was terrible, man, he I think in the second half of the Chargers game and even throughout most of his Charger's tenure, he wasn't just running that Vic Fangio too high scheme that you know, he that he made so good with the with the Rams that got him his head coaching job. He he was, you know, running out two high shells, but he was playing more man coverage, was blitzing more. His blitz percentage is a lot higher than people expected to be when you're just we're just looking at it. But I think really in the second half of the season last year, when he, you know, the team was really banged up, he was just getting very game plan specific, you know, and he saw that against the Miami Dolphins, he saw that against the Niners, he was willing to just not exactly strape what he does, but he just came into that game with just a lot more ammo, a bigger menu of things, just getting very game game plan specific. And I think, uh, that's a good approach for him. I think he has the right mind for it. And then you know, I think he is able to teach. He's a very effective teacher. And that's part of being able to run a multiple scheme is being able to get their players to execute changing things week after week. So I think if he is able to apply that to an entire season, you know that defense could be could be very good. But again, you know, injuries are always such a such a big deal, like these guys got to stay healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of those guys is certainly j C. Jackson, the Chargers corner and you had a great article after the Chargers signed him about what brand state they could do with j. C. Jackson, And you know, one of the things he talked about was the true advantages of having like a lockdown CB one that really never came to fruition this year, and in his absence, Michael Davis kind of emerged as that guy for them, which you talked about throughout the season. So all things kind of trending positive for JC Jackson. We'll see what ultimately that looks like. But what do you make of how you know, obviously talking about you know, variety of out comes here, but this Chargers cornerback duo and you can also talk about it, Sondi Simon Junior if you want. What kind of advantages does that present for Brandon Staatey heading into his third seasons as Tyler alluded to previously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I think with jac Jackson, he I guess I watched some film with him right before I came on this pod, just to kind of get a refresher. He just never looked like he was healthy, you know, and you know he came into the season injured. It just it looked like he was playing really high. It looked like he had a hard time just really getting low and making breaks like he was in New England. And also there's this change of scheme, you know, new verbiage, a lot of added responsibility. He's not just playing man covered on every play. I mean, it's not like that's all he did in New England, but they were doing that for a majority of snaps. But yeah, I think having Jason Jackson here for a second year, knowing the scheme and just kind of understanding his strength and weaknesses a little better will be will be a huge advantage obviously for his second year. But having a lockdown corner in this type of scheme just allows you to have a safety help in other positions, so you know they're going to be in too high, but the safety that's over on j C. Jackson's side. He doesn't have to always play a deep half over the top of him. You know, if you have a true lockdown corner there, you can have that safety start poaching and looking to the other side of the field, and that just opens up a lot of schemes for you. Obviously allows you to blitz more, which Staley wants to do when you have a guy that you can trust. So yeah, you know, like you're playing too high, but having a guy that you could trust to isolate and you could disguise that in different ways is definitely an advantage. And hopefully that's what they're going to get with Jason Jackson in year two.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I hope so man that the Charges will be better if he's healthy.
Speaker 3: I did want an outside perspective on this question because if jac comes back, my assumption is that if he can come back to full health, he's starting opposite Michael Davis, and I don't really think that would be a question again, if he's healthy, and that's the biggest question. And the Chargers have a bit of an issue here when it comes to the slot, because you know, I think a Sante Samuel Jr. Is the better overall corner, and he certainly showed that in the first half of that game. But then the Chargers have reduced his snaps before and taken him off the field in those run obvious situations in favor of John Taylor. They drafted in the sixth round last year or so, and he had a great game in place of Bryce Callahan against the Dolphins. So in Staley's scheme, you know, how much stress is there on that slot corner to be able to tackle and play the run. And if they don't trust a Sante Samuel junior to play the run and they do trust Joe Taylor, Like, how much is a Sante Samuel junior in danger of being benched? Just from like your outside perspective, you know, what do you think they would do there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's a great question. You know, the nickel that Brandon Staley had with the Rams was Jala Ramsey. You know, that's it's hard to get a better run defender, you know, with the size he has athleticisms he has at the nickel position, So that just kind of shows you how important it is to be physical at that position in this scheme. So, yeah, you know, the corner aside from ja J. Jackson, they do have some smaller corners of Sante Samuel's one of them, and he could play there in passing downs obviously, but you want a bigger nickel. And you know, I'm not very familiar with John Taylor's game, but before the season, I thought that the fact that they did draft j T. Woods and they did talk about this was so that they could move Derwin James down to play more nickel. And you know, obviously j T. Woods did take a little bit longer to develop, and you know, maybe he is able to play a little bit more. But if he can play a little bit more, or they do find a different safety and it's gonna be more difficult with then seriatterly, you know, retiring as well. If you could find two good safeties you could trust to play deep and then you know, you could have Derwin Jims James playing that nickel in that you know, when he's in that nickel position, it's not a lot of guys better than him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's something a lot of charges fans will be really excited about. Uh, you know, there weren't James being around the box more. I think is good for everybody. You mentioned j T. Woods here. There are some other interesting young players on the Chargers and we'll flop back to the offensive side here. You know, everybody's really excited about Quentin Johnston uh and in his addition, and you know he recently talked on a different podcast about you know, becoming the starting receiver position in this offense. There's been some like mixed messaging in terms of like national media because everybody wanted the Chargers to go draft like a legitimate Burner and really allowed Justin Herbert to you know, have that guy who can take the top off of off off of defenses. What do you make of Quentin's addition to this offense? Do you think he could be more of what people are looking for than maybe he's being credit being credited for in the national media.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think you know, everyone wants to see that Berner to take the top off of defenses. But if you don't just draft a Burner high up in the draft because he could get deep because you can't find that skill. You can find that trait lower in the draft. You can find that in free agency. You can sign guys like you know, Mark, he's Goodwin who will defenses have to respect, you know, his speed and and stay over top of him. So you could find that skill set in other places doesn't have to be in a first round. So drafting Quintin Johnson, to me, it's like a it is a bit of a luxury pick because you know, you do have Mike Williams who has a similar type of skill set, not saying that they have the same game, but I mean, you see how much Mike Williams have gotten hurt. You see how many you know, how these receivers were out of the lineup last year, So you can see why they want to have a guy like Quentin Johnson that could do multiple things. And I think he can win deep as well. But he's not just that guy, that little guy that's going to run a four two, But he can win deep in his own ways too. So just having him there is gonna, you know, just give give them depth at that position, give him a little bit more speed because he can win deep, but again he's not that four to two guy. And also just having a guy that could run after the catch. You know, I don't think the Chargers really have a receiver that specializes in able in being able to create yards after the catch, and Johnson could do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would absolutely agree the Chargers have not had that for sure out of curiosity, just as much as you have watched with Kellen Moore and what he did in Dallas. Is there any kind of role comp for what Quentin Johnston could do for the Chargers that Kellen Moore had in Dallas? They've always involved a wide receiver three, but I don't know that they've ever had like a Quentin Johnson type. But is there maybe a role comp in that offense?
Speaker 4: You know, I think it's difficult because you know, Cede Lamb would be that guy, but they have They obviously have a lot of slot guys that can't play in the slot with the Chargers, so you know, maybe he can't take some of those Ceedee Lamb plays as far as it's just getting the ball short and then trying to create after catch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excellent there, Tyler. You want to get to our last question.
Speaker 2: Here, Now go for it, Steven.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ted again, this has been awesome, man, thinks so much for joining us. I think everybody is trying to figure out how they're everybody meeting fans obviously trying to figure out how their respective team stacks up in the AFC, and it's a it's a loaded group obviously, have a lot of teams who have an argument to you know, be you know, reaching the mountaintop so to speak and potentially chasing down the Chiefs. Do you think anybody can really cash the Chiefs this year or do you think there's gonna be kind of a you know, business as usual so to speak, and Chiefs kind of coming out on top of the AFC this year.
Speaker 4: I thought last year would be the year that you can catch Chiefs. You know, I didn't think they were a bad team, but losing Tyreek Hill is a big deal, and they ended up winning the Super Bowl anyway, So I think it's possible. I mean, you see the way that the AFC West teams play the Chiefs. They play him pretty tough. Besides the Broncos, but they play them. They're playing pretty tough. The Raiders, you know, you could take them to the end of games. You know, obviously the game with the Chargers, you know, we're both games that went down to the wire. So you can beat the Chiefs. But you know, with Patrick Mahomes there, Andy Reid, it's a very tough or deal. But it's possible, But it is tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely the right choice there, Ted, this has been great man. Chargers fans, make sure and go check his articles out on the Athletic. Obviously, you guys know Daniel Popper very well. Ted is another great contributor over there, recently doing a fantastic article on mister Max Crosby. So if you want some Raiders into go check that out and see what's in store for this season. So, Ted, thanks so much for joining man, appreciate your time today. We'll be in touchdown the road for sure, no problem.
Speaker 4: Thanks for me on guys.
Speaker 1: All right, Tyler, what'd you think of man that that was a great conversation. What was kind of your big takeaway from that conversation with mister Ted Win?
Speaker 3: Just the hope that this defense can get consistency that it's we've been looking for, because you know, he talked about it and we've talked about it and we've seen it, like this defense is so talented and this coach is very very smart.
Speaker 2: Just things haven't been able.
Speaker 3: To come together, you know, game to game to game to game for an entire season. So just getting closer to that feeling like we can work in J. C. Jackson and I think I think Ted pointing out that Jac came back from that injury, when he came back very early and didn't look the same, I think, is I guess a good sign. Although this this injury that he sustained after he came back, it is really brutal, but the fact that we definitely weren't getting the Jac Jackson that we saw in New England mainly or or completely because he just was not healthy, I guess kind of is a good thing and something optimistic because this whole off season, if you can come back healthy and be healthy week one, a week five or whenever he joined the team, the Charges could be really really good on defense.
Speaker 2: And I hope they're really really good this year.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's you know, the hype and hope for the offense has kind of been there obviously since Kellen Moore got hired, but it's it's been a pretty pessimistic offseason for the defense, and so I think maybe some of that's starting to build back up a little bit. Hopefully talking to Ted and that interview helped you guys gain some optimism as well. I think for me, you know, and this is something that I've kind of you know, gone back and forth with just watching the Cowboys offense is you know, I think the real strength of Kellen Moore and Brandon Staley. I think we can see them aligning pretty frequently, and that's their ability to come in and take a game plan and really adapted to whoever they are playing against. And that's not really something we saw much of. It was generally a lot of like, we're gonna do what we do on offense, and that's just gonna work, and we're gonna have Justin Herbert, you know, be Justin Herbert, and we're going to score points. You know, if you watch the Cowboys offense on a week to week base the last four seasons under Kellen Moore, they might head into one game and they're gonna air it out and Dak's gonna throw it at fifty five sixty times. The next week, you know, you see Zeke at twenty five, carries Tony Pollard fifteen and they're just gonna go run heavy. And I watched that from the twenty nineteen season. You know, I watched them play against the Packers and Zeke barely had any touches and it was.
Speaker 2: All Dak and it was all you know, airing it out.
Speaker 1: And it was a lot of fun to watch. It was and then you watch them a couple of weeks later against the Giants and it was like every other play was you know, we're just gonna run at you and you can't stop us. So the ability that Kellen Moore has to specifically game plan, I think is something that charge fans will be really happy about. And Ted pointed that out a little bit as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love hearing that. I'm glad you're going back to watch the film. Whether it's offense or defense, maybe one of these undrafted free agents can help out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. All right, good transition there, by the way, well done. All Right, so we have I'm not gonna lie I haven't watched film on all these undrafted free agents. I've gotten to nine of them, so well, you know, there's some that I think are just have an extra long shot just based off of the positions that they play. But we're gonna highlight five undrafted free agents that we feel have a legitimate chance to make this roster. And this is not necessarily like a power ranking, like we're not gonna sit here and say like so and so is better than so and so. But this is you know, talking about players who have a legitimate chance to make this roster. You know, there's some definitely some debate. I think here's some good players who can fit into some roles that you know, sometimes there's some surprises, like I don't think anybody really had Roderick Teamer making the Chargers roster. But you know, sometimes you just have a role and that role fits into a position of needs. So, Tyler, who do you think of this undrafted free agent class has the best chance of making this roster?
Speaker 3: The best chance would be Geron Clark from Coastal Carolina.
Speaker 2: He's a big guy.
Speaker 3: Everyone knows that Chargers fans are very excited about him and just going through what granted this is national media, but the way that he was scouted in the draft grades put on him. You look at the Bleacher Report, they had a fifth round grade. Damian Parson, our guy at the Draft Network, I believe had a third round grade on him. Zer Line from NFL dot Com had a fifth round grade on him. So I'm not saying that this is a first round player that fought of the Chargers as an undrafted free agent, but a draftable player and at least early in the on Day three, and they got him as an undrafted free agent, and I think more than anything else.
Speaker 2: You know, whether I think he's better than.
Speaker 3: Some of these other undrafted free agents at his position, that's a debate, But you're talking about who is maybe more likely to make the team. It really comes down to the position that he plays and the openings that could be there, because there's no other spot on this team where you can project potentially two openings in front of this player. Now granted that doesn't mean that he's the next in line. It could be hinting, it could be Terrence Lane, could be you know, anybody else, But there are potentially going to be two openings to start the season, not by the end of the year, but with Austin Johnson being hurt as health up in the air. O titawg Bone, I think we know even less about him and his injury. I think Jirod Clark, with what he can do, what he can bring, his draft pedigree, his background, and the fact there's two openings in front of him, I think he's most likely to make the roster, and even just the last two seasons, right, they've the Chargers are very fluid with their defensive tackle spot to start the season. They like to, you know, if one guy balls out in the preseason, they'd like to have that player make the initial roster and then once you know, all the cuts happen and the waiver period goes through, then maybe they cut that player and.
Speaker 2: They go to the practice squad.
Speaker 3: So in twenty twenty one, if it's Forrest Merril, in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Two, it was Brandon Fojoco.
Speaker 3: So if Jerrod Clark's balls out in the preseason in training camp, I could see them doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: So to me, Jirod Clark. You know, again, whether I think he's.
Speaker 3: Better or worse or whatever than their players, it's a whole different thing. But he has the easiest opportunity and chance to make the roster.
Speaker 1: Think yeah, And I think his skill set obviously does lend itself towards filling a position of need for the Chargers, depending on health. Like you mentioned, you know, I think statistically you can point out, you know, Gerald Clark had sixteen run stops in twenty twenty one. He had nineteen this past year in twenty twenty two. And the good thing there is that his run stop percentage actually increased by almost three whole points from twenty twenty two to or excuse me, twenty twenty one to twenty twenty two. His eight point zero percent run stop percentage was twelve best in the country last year of players who were draft eligible in twenty twenty three, So he was right next to Gervon Dexter, who I know you liked in this draft. For what it's worth, Scott Mattlocker. The Chargers did draft, although different skill sets. He was at six point seven, but he did have twenty four total run stops. So you look at the guys on this list who were maybe drafted ahead of him. Ska Siaki Eco was at six point six percent, Byron Young from Alabama six point five percent. So it just kind of shows you the kind of player that he can be, you know, for a potential defense and you're looking at a three to four scheme that is a little bit more versatile up front than I think people are, you know, usually thinking like I think the days of like a true stereotypical nose tackle are kind of done with, Like there really aren't that many guys out there, But that's what Rod Clark can be he can eat of space at the nose, and I think the nice thing there is that can free up Sebastian Joseph Day and Austin Johnson and whoever else is healthy to really focus in on playing the three tech role the five tech role. And we saw with Bratain Foco's emergence down the stretch last year that a lot that freedom for Sebastian Joseph Day really allowed him to kind of get back to his former self too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you have him ahead of I think you're not talking about like ahead of behind, but like Terrence Lang is the other guy that could make it.
Speaker 2: We're talking about two injuries.
Speaker 3: But do you have girod Clark ahead of Terrence Long because they did Lang, because the difference in them is like fifty pounds, two completely different kinds of players, different roles on the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Terrence Lang from Colorado, for those who don't know, he kind of played in like the three three five defense that's super prevalent in college football. So he was a quote unquote edge rusher for Colorado. But the Chargers do have him listed as a defensive lineman. I think he's more pigeonholed into playing and inside defensive end, you know, kind of a similar role as like Morgan Fox who can occasionally kick outside. You know, Terrence Lang. I think, for for me, I would have graded Terrence Lang higher than I would have graded Gerrod Clark Personally. I think Terrence Lang just gives you a bit more speed presence. I think it gives you a bit more polish in the hand usage. Because Gerard Clark, I think he's a space eater, but he like I think he can improve with his hands. I think he can improve with his his pad level two. Terence Lang was a six year player in college, was a very common theme in the draft this year. So Terrence Sing, I think has a bit more polished to him, and so I think there can be a role for Terrence Sing. I think he's kind of what happened behind Chris Hinton in terms of like jocking for a position there. But I think there is a role for Terrence saying, because he he's an inside defensive end who his strength is defending the run. So we're talking about a lot of run defense guys today. But you look at his statistics this past year in college at Colorado, he was fourteenth in run stop percentage at eight point seven percent, you know among edge rushers, so it's a little different kind of projecting there. But you know a lot of guys who were drafted much earlier than him, who were touted as like run defense guys. You know, Keon White was at seven point one one percent, Isaiah Fovsky was from Notre Dame was at six point seven percent. So this is a real strength of Terrence Ling's and I don't think there's a ton of projection in that regard for him to carve out of a potential role on early downs pass rushing is a bit of a work in progress. He does have, you know, kind of a speed to power package to him, but there's not a whole lot of countering off of that. But great length, great first step, and then he's just kind of a bowl in a china shop as a run defender too. So I like Laying more, but I think he's he's kind of down the pecking order than Gerard Clark would be because drag Clark plays a role that the Chargers don't really have a lot of options behind Austin Johnson and Otto Ammonia.
Speaker 3: Yep, I agree with you there, and I can't wait to see this guy play. He's got thirty four point seventy five inch arms, which is a little bit longer than Sebastian Joseph Day's arms and the chargers in Brendan's Daily Jay Rodgers. These guys alreadly do covet that length, so hopefully it pays off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for what it's worth, I would put Terrence Lang in my top five of likely to make it. I would have him at five, though I agree I think GEORDD Clark is the most likely to make it. Second. For me, I was really surprised by this guy when I watched his tape earlier this week. And that's AJ Finley from Ole Miss. We know the Charters have a need at safety. Sounds like you like him too, and I think me and you are high on Raheem Lane than general consensus among Charters fans. But I think AJ Finley can just give them a little bit something different that they don't really have. I think you have, obviously Drwan, who can do everything. I think a low he's kind of your your box safety run defender guy. I think JT in an ideal world can be kind of your center fielder. But I was really impressed with AJ Finley when he would match up one on one, when he would match coverages. I thought his instincts in that regard were fantastic, and I think that was kind of something we liked about Mark Webb initially when he had, you know, his great first training camp as a rookie. You haven't seen it come to fruition in the regular season yet, but AJ Finley as a pass defender, I think has a really really high IQ. That's something we know that Brandon stately really values in this defense. Ronaldo Hill's talked about it, Derek Ansley has talked about it. The ability to see things happening in front of them. I think there are some limits athletically with him. He's not like the quickest to break on the ball, but just in terms of like positioning, matching routes, making players on the football, I thought AJ Finley was outstanding in those regards. So he will be second behind Gerrod Clark for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he made my top five.
Speaker 3: Just watched him earlier this week and you took everything that I possibly could have said about him, and it really does come down to, like we're talking about roster projections here, you know, is there an opportunity for him, and while I think that the safety room is sort of crowded, there's that last spot that really isn't I do think Raheem Lane is the front runner, then Mark Webb, then Finley, but I don't think any of those two guys in front.
Speaker 2: Of him are so irreplaceable.
Speaker 3: Again, I think Raheem Lane makes the roster. But watching AJ Finley, you know, with his production at ole Miss, what he's able to do, what he shows in coverage, like you talked about, there were moments where I'm like, are you sure he's not going to be a corner? Like I almost thought that he could just convert to corner rather than be a safety and do.
Speaker 2: Really well there.
Speaker 3: So I think that there's an uphill battle. Of course, I think because Rahem Lane was a corner, he can cover. Mark Webb We've seen he can cover, So there is definite an uphill battle there.
Speaker 2: But A. J. Finley is really really talented. He made my top five as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was. I was surprised with you know how much I liked an ole Miss safety. It's not usually therefore too, although obviously the charges are pretty familiar with him and his game because they drafted Dean Leonard last year, so you know, I'm sure that they watched a lot of AJ Finley too, So I think he's a willing run defender. I don't think it's necessarily his strong suit. So that's kind of like I think the area that he really needs to focus in on if he's going to make this team special team is going to play a huge role there. So you know, that's kind of like the layout that I think where he Laane has over the other guys. But you know, like you said, it's not enough of an advantage for him that he's like the clear cut safety for although me and you are probably higher on him than most all right, Tyler, who would be next on the list for you.
Speaker 3: So we've talked about him before, But that's mikey Zeke the tight end from UCLA again, Opportunity Daniel Popper had the Chargers carrying four tight ends this year. Whether that happens or not, I don't know, but the Chargers certainly could use more development at tight end, get someone in the room to continue to develop, but he had stone Smart making it and for right now, yes, I do think stone Smart is ahead of Mike Zeke. I think anyone who was on the team is ahead of most undrafted free agents. But I think Isekey what he did or what he can do as a converted you know, wide receiver to tight end. As he continues to grow and literally because he's bulking up to play tight end, get bigger, get stronger, etc. As he learns more of the ins and outs of that, I do think that he can start pushing for that tight end four spot. I think they have to keep four tight ends for him to make it, but I do think he can push for that spot because I think Stone Smart is right now the better receiver, another converted player from quarterback, so I do think he's a better receiving option right now. But Azeki is very good in that regard as well, and if he can hold it as a blocker, that's going to be huge. We're talking about all these guys need to contribute on special teams, and I think if Azeky can show that he is the better blocker and also that's the charges just need that on offense anyway, I think he has a nice shot to make the roster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do too. I think the offense is really going to focus in on yards after catch when it comes to this tight end room, maybe outside of Gerald Everett, and I think that is a strong suit of mikey Ezeki. So I think you even Jason in twenty nineteen. I was watching the Cowboys twenty nineteen offense and Jason wentten was getting yards after catch opportunities left and right. I was like, Okay, I don't know if I'd be doing that personally, but you know, it is what it is. So I think Azeke can come in and fit that role. I think if you look at his numbers, like his efficiency on a per touch basis was really outstanding. He averaged six point six yards after catch per reception, which was ninth of any draft eligible tight end this past season. He was ahead of Sam Laporta, He was ahead of Dalton Kincaid, he was ahead of lou scoon Maker, Josh Wiley, all guys who were drafted. You look at his yards per route run though, that's that's kind of a UCLA thing because he wasn't targeted a whole lot, but his average death of target was eight point five. So he's somebody who can you know, work the middle of the field. He can stretch defenses. Vertically. He can give you yards after catch and space. So I think he's He's an intriguing prospect for me the tight end room, like you mentioned, I think they would have to keep four. You know, they might sign somebody else. So I was I was a little hesitant to put a Zeke in my top five. So for me, he was just outside of it, but definitely worth talking about because I do think that he could come in and and fill a role and give them another target who can provide some some intriguing athletic traits.
Speaker 2: Who else is on your list?
Speaker 1: So I think there is a world in which one of these receivers makes this team, and I think this has to be Pokey Wilson, not Williams got it right that time, So I think Pokey Wilson can give them some things that they that the other guys behind him don't necessarily have. I think you look at body types. I think Pokey Wilson and Tell Buying them are are kind of similar body types, but the skill sets are are very different. I think Pokey Wilson can give you some more versatility. I actually really liked what he was able to do with the ball in his hands. Again, potential yards after catching this offense, I think is crucial. The stuff that we've seen from OTAs and stuff like that has mostly been him as an outside receiver. But I do think his best work comes as a slot option for me. I don't know if you feel that way, but I think his speed is not necessarily you know, high end. I think he's more quick than fast, but I think he can give them some flexibility with the slot and I think he can give them some versatility in terms of like being a jet sweep guy. I think he can be, you know, a jump ball guy in the red zone if he wants to. So I think Poke Wilson is just kind of the most well rounded receiver of these undrafted guys. And I do think that he would be number three on my list for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's actually number three on my list as well, So there you go. And I do agree that he is more quick than fast, and like he literally is more quick than fast his forty time. Granted, that's not everything we've talked about. You know, gpis tracking data with Tom Telesco. But he does run a four to six, so he's not like a burner on the team, and.
Speaker 2: That's why he's third right now.
Speaker 3: I could see him being first or even second if he a bit faster, or if the Charges didn't have someone like high Tower in front of him. So you know, it's a crowded room for sure, and I think there's a lot of guys who can do a lot of great things for this receiving core room. He just unfortunately lands on a team this year that has their most well rounded receiving core room in the past decade.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, we'll see what happens here. Obviously. I think if Jalen Giton's healthy, then I think Poke Wilson, you know, moves down my list. But we just don't know. We haven't really seen or heard much of an update about Jalen gan recently, and so until we know there, I think one of these receivers does have to at least be mentioned.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I'll go with one more name before we get out of here, and that is Tyler Husman, the running back from North Dakota. I think he might follow in the tradition of let's see Brandon Oliver, Detrez Newsome, Kenneth Farrow, Austin Eckler, all these running backs who is undrafted, free aging guys who make the roster, and I think that well, First of all, Tyler Husman has an elite first name, No bias there.
Speaker 2: He just has a really good first name.
Speaker 3: But if you compare actual football stuff, if you compare relative athletic scores, he would be the second most athletic running back, behind Austin Eckler and ahead of Joshua Kelly, not by much, but the charges room isn't like the most dynamic athletically, so him being the second most athletic by that score, would you know help? He definitely broke off after transferring to North Dakota from Northern Iowa. He averaged five point eight yards per carry over one thousand yards, twelve touchdowns on just one hundred and seventy five attempts. What I do really like and what I think helps translate to special teams, is that he blocks really well. He blocks with aggressiveness, He runs hard in the red zone. There were no fumbles last year, no drops, So I really think in that regard, you know, catching Ryan Fickens eye, he's competing with Larry Roundtree for that fourth spot. Now is there going to be a fourth spot? I don't know, but obviously they did carry four last year, they did have Larry Roundtree on the team, So I do think someone like Who'sman, who's a bit bigger than Dotson, can kind of have that role potentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not really sure.
Speaker 3: How much of a space there is for a fourth running back, but if Xander Horvath is not a big part of Kellen Moore's plans, then I could see Who'sman starting as one of those wings on kickoff opposite Joshua Kelly. Ryan Ficken tries to have, you know, more of those running back fullback types, where as we saw with Swinton it was you know, Chris Rumf out there and some other player I can't remember. So if they want to go that route, he could definitely make it that way. And I was talking to actually talk to Who'sman earlier today and he's sharing about his journey from from Northern Iowa to North Dakota.
Speaker 2: He wanted to get somewhere where he.
Speaker 3: Wasn't in that running back by committee so he could really show off what he could do as a lead back, you know, gain that confidence, develop those skills, that sort of thing. And he really did get to showcase that even though he wasn't like a three hundred carry back like I'm sure Bijon was still one hundred and seventy five carries.
Speaker 2: I think twenty two out of twenty.
Speaker 3: Three targets were caught for him, so obviously he made the Chargers, so things worked out for him.
Speaker 2: He's got a lot to learn, you know, a lot to develop.
Speaker 3: This is a player who hasn't had a ton of action, but he's certainly working on that. I guess with running backs coach Derek Foster, he's working on pre snap and post snap, you know, defensive recognition because you know, all these guys are bigger, faster, stronger, they've played in the league for several years, or they're just super talented.
Speaker 2: So he's working on that.
Speaker 3: He's working on explosiveness out of his cuts, working on getting.
Speaker 2: Faster, which is great.
Speaker 3: I'd love our very fast running back on this team if we can get one. But he's really looking forward to bringing his downhill running style to the team, which is something that could complement Austin Eckler.
Speaker 2: So I think there's a world where.
Speaker 3: Maybe the Chargers don't have four right away, but he could work under the roster because of special teams and because the Chargers do need to prepare for the vacuum and then the empty space that will occur when guys like Austin Eckler, when guys like Joshua Kelly projecting for now who knows, but the contracts are up right, so at some point they're going to need to find some other guys to work in here. I'm not saying that he's going to start for Austin Eckler next season, but I do think he's someone that could catch Ryan Fickens's eye and work his way onto the roster, either early on or at some point during the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would love to see that because I think Joshua Kelly, like I, I think he's a good special teamer, but I want him focusing on offense. Like I think there is a need for, you know, some somebody to emerge and take that off of his plate. Maybe that's Isaiah Spiller this year, we don't know, but I think Joshua Kelly is going to be super important on offense and they're gonna need somebody to take some off of his special team's plate. So I'd love to see that just quickly. I think Tilin Mullen is worth mentioning. The former cornerback from Indiana. Pretty similar profile to joss Er Taylor in terms of his size, speed, slot flexibility. One of my favorite things about him is actually his work as a blitzer. I think that's a fantastic role for him and maybe a way for him to distinguish himself. So wanted to at least mention him briefly. I think he could be maybe a little redundant with the all of the things that need to happen at slots. I think that's where he's probably best projected in the NFL. But maybe there's you know, there's a world where Jaeer Taylor is a starter and less of a special teams player. Maybe Tilon Wollan can kind of take that over from him. So think I think Tilon wollen is worth mentioning. I didn't know this earlier, but the younger brother of trayvon Mullen, formerly of the Las Vegas Raiders. So oh NFL blood lines. I guess there.
Speaker 3: I guess I could have made that connection. Sometimes it's like, oh, yeah, duh, how do I not put that together? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the dB room is so tough to crack, particularly if you're looking at corner like where do these guys fit in? But I guess like if maybe Jasey's not healthy, then maybe there's a spot. But is that keem On Hall. It's kind of tough to break into that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, all right, great conversations today with Ted and Wynn. Great undrafted free Asian conversation. Hopefully you guys are getting excited for training camp obviously, that's kind of the goal of these episodes. It's kind of ramp up that excitement as we get closer and closer to football. So appreciate everybody for tuning in, specially thanks again to Ted for joining us. Thanks to Greg Kim for producing the show today. Make sure subscribe to the channel here and our own The Guiltiest Charge podcast really have some other content throughout the rest of the lead up towards training camp, so Tyler, appreciate you as well. That's going to do it for us today. We'll see you guys next time, and as always, bolt up.