Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of IHEARTRADI.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noel.
Speaker 3: They call me Bed.
Speaker 4: We're joined as always with our super producer Paul. Mission control decands. Most importantly, you are here, and that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. We're looking at the wonders of the world. This is a phrase we've all heard at some time or another. Right, I feel like you hear this a lot in elementary school and middle school history.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, for sure, the seven Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you're learning general history. This is a big deal because you're going back into BCE and you're looking at the things that humanity has been able to create. That literally, if you look upon it, you will experience wonder.
Speaker 3: There we go. Yeah, that's a great definition.
Speaker 4: And of course nowadays, some of the world wonders are more famous than others. There are a couple on the lists that might see a month familiar to a lot of us, just because we don't think of them that often. And it might surprise some of us tuning in tonight to realize that there's still a lot of mystery about some of these world wonders. One of them in particular, this evening, we're on a search for the hanging Gardens of Babylon.
Speaker 3: Here are the facts.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about what those wonders were. We kind of mentioned it already. They're exceptional human built places. It's architecture generally that existed in the Middle East, in North Africa. They're in Egypt and southern Europe. One of them existed allegedly in Babylon, which is pretty far to the east of a lot of these other places. And you know, how again, who made that list, who decided those are the wonders? Who was the world traveler that was, you know, writing at the time and saying, dang, guys, you've got to see these pyramids.
Speaker 4: It was it was a guy named Philo of Byzantium, but not but there's more than one Filo of Byzantium, so it becomes really confusing. It's like someone says, oh, yeah, I'm visiting Philadelphia and you say, oh, Philly, do you know John John Philly? Yes, So there are a lot of filos in play, and historians believe that the compilation of these wonders goes back to Alexander the Great, a notably humble guy who conquered a vast swath of the Western world right around the fourth century BCE. And this, to your point, Matt, this gave people of that society of the Hellenistic travelers, this unprecedented access to all these other civilizations, ancient Egypt, Persia, Babylon. And just like travelers today posting on Instagram or sending letters, they wanted to share their experiences with their friends back home. This was an immensely entertaining thing and educational, you know, even though it was often riddled with errors. They were not originally called wonders. They were called things to be seen. The list was like, look at this stuff.
Speaker 5: Points of interest, Yeah, just so side attractions.
Speaker 3: And people got competitive, right.
Speaker 5: Oh, they sure did. As would make sense honestly for things like this like my you know, I mean it's like when you were traveling and you see assigned for you know, south of the border, and now it's like competing with BUCkies, you know, I mean, it's there are a lot of eyeballs to be vied for and on a global sense. That just kind of blows the whole equation up. So a lot of these writers were kind of making their own little listicles and noting their favorites and attempting to get theirs to kind of rise in the overall ranks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like travel blogs competing travel blogs in the first century BCE. But again, remember most of these ancient structures were built four hundred, five hundred, six hundred years before these writers were making their lists. And we've got one here, right, Ben. This is from Antipater of Sidon or Sidon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was an epigramist. What a weird job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he made a list of wonders. And we've got a quote.
Speaker 4: I have gazed on the walls of impregnable Babylon along which chariots may race.
Speaker 3: That's one.
Speaker 4: And on the Zeus, by the banks of the Altheus that's two. I've seen the hanging gardens and the colossus of the Helios that's three, and four, the great man made mountains of the lofty Pyramids. Five, the gigantic tomb of Mazulus. Huh Maslem right, So six and then he says, but when I saw the Sacred House of Artemis, the towers to the clouds, the others were placed in the shade for the sun himself is never looked upon its equal outside Olympus. So like to your point, Noel, he's saying, yeah, there are definitely seven, here are six, But here's the real.
Speaker 5: Banker, here's the real banger. It's true. So I mean, there is definitely a lot of wiggle room in these at least in terms of like depending on who the source was. And then it's all about who do we ascribe as the ultimate authority on wonders of the world? And are they even telling the truth? Are they describing things that they actually saw? Are they big uping things that maybe weren't quite as impressive as they're describing them to be entirely possible.
Speaker 2: But let's point out something really important in that quotation there. The first sentence, I have gazed on the walls of impregnable Babylon, which chariots may race. Now that's one little phrase there. The next phrase isn't And the hanging gardens, which you know, the hanging gardens is we're going to talk about, are supposedly in Babylon and he didn't mention him when he's talking about the Walls of Babylon. You mentioned him way further down.
Speaker 4: He's just like also gardens that hang somewhere, and Herodotus does something similar to to your point, Matt. He is an early adopter of world wonder list or this genre, and he comes about just a century after Nebekinezer, and when he writes his world wonder List, he doesn't mention the gardens so far as we can tell, because like a lot like we're going to see a lot of people who write at this time they're writing, disappears and we only know about it because later writers name check it or reference it. So we don't actually have Herodotus's list his list listical.
Speaker 3: We just have references to it later.
Speaker 2: And we need to mention there. Nemican Nezzar that you just mentioned is allegedly the person the King nemican Azer, the second, the king that built this thing that is known as the hanging gardens in Babylon allegedly.
Speaker 5: Well, and today we have things like UNESCO World Heritage Sites and there's like whole organizations that are devoted to pointing out these incredible features of the known world and they there are cross references in there, you know, historical precedents for these things. This stuff is a lot of hearsay, you know, and there isn't like one unified organization that's identifying these things.
Speaker 4: So it gets a little murky, it sure does. And just for name check, we'll give you the rest of the of the wonders of the world, the canonical ones. This comes from the list made by Philo back in the day, Greek engineer or another Filo from Byzantium. Again it gets Yeah, it's the inventor of television Filo farms.
Speaker 3: Isn't amazing, dude.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking of the professor from Futuramas also a good also a good reference.
Speaker 4: So the Great Pyramid is by far the lebron of this list. It is the oldest world wonder. It is the only one still standing, and it was old when they first started writing these lists, you know what I mean. It's hard to it's it's difficult for us to understand just how long that pile of rocks has been around.
Speaker 2: Some people think it was there before the Egyptians.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, before they started calling themselves Egyptians. And then, of course they're some people who think it was there before humans.
Speaker 3: That'll be a fun episode, right.
Speaker 4: So then there's the statue of Zeus at Olympia, big as heck, forty feet high, encrusted with gems and ivory and ebony. Super impressive. Quite a spectacle destroyed in an earthquake.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of funny to because Zeus it is like a statue of a statue holding a statue. He's also in his clutches holding a statue of another Pantheonic figure, Nike, the goddess of victory and sportsmanship. I mean, that's second part of nice.
Speaker 2: Then you got the goddess of the hunt, Artemis. There's a temple for her in Aphesus, Turkey.
Speaker 5: Then we have the Mausoleum of Hallikarnassis, also in Turkey, which is what it sounds like. It's an incredibly ornate, elaborate mausoleum destroyed.
Speaker 3: By an earthquake. Yeah, you know, the Colossus of Rhodes.
Speaker 4: That's what a lot of people have heard about because it's depicted in so much fiction, or it's inspired so many visual elements in philm.
Speaker 5: Wasn't there a thing in Game of Thrones that was very much inspired by this? I believe it was called you know, it was in Wow, gosh, what was it called the Titan or something like that, or Bravos, the Titan of Bravos.
Speaker 3: That's it's rights.
Speaker 5: And also in Lost there's a big part where they all of a sudden see the remains of this kind of colossus type Greek statue that I believe is a nod to this big boy as well. Next we have the lighthouse of Alexandria, big old lighthouse, one hundred and seven meters three hundred and fifty feet tall, you know, not really much different than the types of lighthouses that we see today, very technologically ahead of its time, which is I think part of the marvel of it all.
Speaker 3: It was destroyed by earthquake, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Earthquakes, and then the colossus also went down to earthquakes.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 4: One of our exceptions here is the temple you mentioned, Matt, the Temple of Artemis. A human destroyed that one mainly to get famous because people.
Speaker 3: Uh so.
Speaker 4: The last one is the hanging gardens, which are conventionally called the hanging Guards of Babylon in modern day Iraq, and that last one is the most baffling because even now in twenty twenty three. No one can agree on where these gardens were, what they looked like, or whether they existed at all. So did someone make up a wonder of the world?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Let's we've got to figure this one out. You want to pause for a word from our sponsor.
Speaker 5: I think that's smart.
Speaker 3: Here's where it gets crazy, all right.
Speaker 4: So we got the one still standing, the pyramid, and we've got five other wonders that are gone or smashed ruins. But if those are god, how can we know that they also existed?
Speaker 2: Mostly writing canea forum often very very old writing, that is from the time that these structures stood. That's why it's a bit strange that we've mostly got classical writers like Greek writers and Roman writers who are talking about the hanging gardens. And my goodness, there is all kinds of strange descriptions. Guys. I've got a list here from This is from Grant Frame, who is Grant Frame, PhD. Excuse me, who was in twenty fifteen the associate curator of the Babylonian Section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. He I guess was giving a talk at some point on the hanging gardens, and he made this amazing list that I just took a screenshot of the shows all all the different descriptions of where the hanging gardens existed, what they looked like, why they were built, how they were built. And it's crazy that these again Greek and Roman writers didn't agree. No, nobody agreed on what the heck the thing was?
Speaker 5: Right, Like, what does hanging even mean? Comes into question? You know, I mean because there aren't elaborate descriptions of the thing, you know, So this title of this supposed space leaves a lot to the imagination and the idea of how are they irrigated? You know, what kind of technology that they possess to build such a thing in such an arid climate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to your point about descriptions, we can tell you all about these these gardens, and a lot of writers did over time, and they've got some of the same. Like the soul the theme of the description is is pretty constant. But to your point, all the translations that occur over the centuries make a big game of telephone. It might sound silly to say what does hanging mean? But getting a clear understanding of what this thing is will help people in this search to find it.
Speaker 5: Because I mean, I believe just having a garden that is hanging like that. I mean the fact that you could have a garden at all that would thrive, and like I said, such a dry and very low rainfall climate is in and of itself a marvel.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: To be able to do that at this time it require a lot of technological advances that maybe we don't even think they were capable of. But to have it like up in the air, you know, that's its own thing, you know. And we do have descriptions of the gardens that vary, but what ultimately remains is like, how in the hell have they do something like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the imagine, if you will, fellow conspiracy realist, a giant green mountain. In some descriptions it's built out of mud bricks, and others it's built out of heavier, nicer stone, and the mountain is terraced with all these trees and shrubs and plants and flowers that come from local areas and from very far away. I think, what do you guys think about this? Is it best to think of it as like a gigantic ziggurat of good landscaping.
Speaker 5: I think that's accurate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been reproduced in all kinds of animations over the years as looking precisely like that, like a lot of the other reproductions of Babylon, of ancient Babylon, because we know to some extent what Babylon looked like, right, because of who was that guy that excavated it? Oh cold of A Yeah, Cold of A is German archaeologist that excavated the site from eighteen ninety nine to nineteen seventeen, like a long time, right, and we actually get to see Babylon. You can go and visit Babylon now. You can see ishtar Gate and some of the amazing architecture that existed at the time. So the imagining of what this place looked like is like these stepped stepped to Zigarotte kind of structure similar to the Tower of what is referred to as the Tower of Babel that did exist there in Babylon, except it's just got a bunch of trees, like you said, been a bunch of shrubs and other stuff hanging out on each level, which would be kind of crazy to be able to support plant life at each one of those levels, no matter how you got the water there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And we don't have to go into a bunch of detail with quotes from Filo and so on, but they what you do need to know is the impressiveness for the spectator. Right when the philos of the world, the visitors in this Hellenistic society, when they make it out there to Babylon, according to the story, and they see this thing, they're by the engineering and they're definitely impressed by this complex irrigation system. Even now, if you think about it, the fact that human beings can go to the fortieth floor of a skyscraper and still have the sink in the bathroom work, that's amazing. That's really impressive, you know, And that's kind of what they were doing.
Speaker 5: I mean, how I'm impressed and also annoyed by the fact that I have to have a sump pump in my house to pump the water from my basement upstairs. And when that thing stops working, you sure as heck know it. It's really gross. Really fast technology is crazy. But again, that's a thing that plugs in and has a motor. You know, we're talking about for this stuff much more analog technology. You know, things like the screw of Archimedes or whatever like these, you know, very very forward thinking methods for raising water from lower to higher elevations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and sometimes there are mentions again by later authors tierpoint Matt. A lot of these people are quoting each other and remixing each other, and they're they're writing about this, these wonders far after they have been destroyed.
Speaker 3: There's one guy, Deodorus.
Speaker 4: Cecilia's Greek historian from Sicily, who talks about this irrigation and says there were machines quote raising the water in great abundance from the river. It's all pretty impressive, but you know, it makes me think, I think we talked about this previously. It makes me think of the first time I saw the Tower of London. Like it's a it's a venerated building. It's historically incredibly important, but to the modern eye, it doesn't necessarily look like a tower, because it takes a few more stories for us to count something as a tower these days. So maybe if we I'm putting this out there because maybe if explorers find the hanging gardens or the ruins of it, they don't recognize it, because it does the real thing doesn't look the way it's been depicted for centuries by very excited people.
Speaker 5: I also love this quote uses the word machines because to your point, Ben, when we hear that word, we think of robotics, you know, we think of motors and gas fueled engines. But they're talking about here what we would refer to as simple machines. You know, Fulcrum's and some of the earliest innovations that led to the modern machines that we know today. So while these things might not have seemed impressive to the modern eye, the fact that they were able to kind of harness this stuff in that way is mega impressive.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about what an Archimedes screw is, guys. Fascinating invention that you know supposedly came a lot later than this time when Nebuchonizer the second was ruling Babylon. But it's it's fairly simple in construction when you think about it. It is a screw, like a large screw looking usually wooden or metal, thing that turns either it's usually through mechanical means. It turns, and as it turns, it takes water from a water source slowly in a roundabout way up that screw till it gets, you know, up a certain elevation, like let's say six feet up into the air, or upwards on an elevated slope. And that's a way to get water from let's say, in this case, the Euphrates River up to the first terrace. Then perhaps you'd have another one once you've got enough water pooled up there, going up to the next level and the next level and the next level. And that would be highly highly highly impressive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and also funny story just to show you how confusing history can be. The Archimedes water screw is named after Archimedes, but it was invented before Archimedes was alive. It's just branding at that point. Yeah, It's like it's like calling it the the Google Grand Canyon.
Speaker 5: I wish I could remember the guy's name. But there's this YouTuber I've been watching who's got some great videos on this. I'll think of it by the end. But he said it's sort of similar to the way often many pithy English sayings are just attributed to Oscar Wild. You know what this is, like the most famous guy you know kind of gets credit for all the other stuff. You know, which is unfortunately the way the game of telephone that his history works a lot of the time.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just give concrete dates for this, because you're you're absolutely right. Here been Archimedes born in two eighty seven BCE. But nebekan Azer, the second who supposedly built this thing was around from six oh four BCE to five sixty two BCE, so you know, just a couple one hundred years before Archimedes was around.
Speaker 3: And what's that?
Speaker 4: What's a couple hundred years you know in the big Christian stream of things. Yeah, there's another strange thing about the literature. No survive being actual from Babylon. Babylonian text ever mentioned them, ever mentioned the gardens. So what happened? Could this be some sort of historical whoopsie? Could this be a no no? And could one kind of fake thing have accidentally snuck into a list of very real world wonders for scholars, the best way to find to prove the existence of this thing starts with the literature, and the literature, as we've established, is super confusing because so many writers borrowed from each other, remixed things to suit their own taste and time, and they spread their word to anyone who would read or listen. And honestly, that's part of why the gardens got so famous in the first place. Because somebody made a pitch for the babylon Gardens as a story of romance.
Speaker 3: We think, we think he did. His writing is gone.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, we've got one from who is this I'm gonna butcher this Diodorus Sicolus Sicolis or yeah, I think that's how you'd say. It's a Greek historian from the first century. I want to just give you this what we're talking about romance. Here's a quote, and this is also from that same doctor, from the Penn Museum quote. There was also beside the acropolis hanging the hanging garden, as it was called, which was built not by Semamis, but by a later Syrian king to please one of his concubines, for she, they say, being a Persian by race and longing for the meadows of her mountains, asked the king to imitate, through the artifice of a planted garden, the distinctive landscape of Persia.
Speaker 4: And apparently that story from our Greek Sicilian friend comes from a earlier source. A Babylonian priest named Barysosis, who said, who said that nebucad Dresser the second built? He said, kind of the same story, but in his story it's not a concubine. It's his wife, Amtis of Medea, who, like you said, Matt wanted to be reminded of Persia. Now is that story true?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 3: We have no way of knowing.
Speaker 5: But what we do know is that it put this thing you know, when you can't find something or you've got like something that's lost to history, but yet people are talking about it, and the counts might vary, like the Lost City of Atlantis, for example, It certainly ignites people's imagination and the hunt is on right.
Speaker 4: Oh, we shall also point out we talked about this a little bit off here. Nebuchad Nezzar, as we end up saying it in English right in the west, has a couple of different spellings because it's from so long ago, right in a different language. But he also had a street name which was like Alexander's, who was very humble. It was Nebuchnezer the Great.
Speaker 5: Got it, yeah, not just not just the fine. He was the great? Right, I wonder I anybody's was ever like somebody the best. Maybe that's a little more modern. The idea of being the best the great seems to have been more of a go to in antiquity. But so now we've got this concept this like you know, white whale, you know of a of a seven wonder of the world, and so it becomes basically part of legend, you know, And scholars of course try to stick to the facts. But when you have all of these varying accounts and not an actual location or perhaps a you know, artifact pointing to a location, it starts to get really confusing. So scholars do believe that the passage in Diodorus's Biblioteca Historica describes something that they believe to be the Hanging Gardens is actually derived by like you said, Ben, Alexander the Great's biographer, Cleo Tarkas, I believe that's how you pronounced that, who was writing in around the late fourth century BCE.
Speaker 4: Oh, And like the work of Herodotus, this stuff didn't survive. We know it existed because other writers mention it later. And this, this confusing game of storytelling, just accelerates the confusion surrounding the locations of the gardens.
Speaker 3: Matt, I'm really glad.
Speaker 4: You mentioned out the fact that they're an outlier on Filo's original listical and they'll now you've got listical stuck in my head. But that's what they were, that's what they were done for. Yeah, And so he wrote the gardens were quote a long journey to the land of the Persians on the far side of the Euphrates, and all the other wonders were in or around the eastern Mediterranean, so.
Speaker 3: We know it was far away.
Speaker 4: We know all sources that reference a Babylonian garden that is super impressive and tiered and high and has this cool irrigation. Those all come from the fourth century BC at the earliest, and folks like Caradotas, who are just one century after nebucon Ezer.
Speaker 3: They write this huge history.
Speaker 4: Of all the cool stuff they can think of, and the gardens are nowhere on that list. So how did one guy, one very smart guy, miss it so soon after and then centuries later a bunch of people are like Reddit level experts on it.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. It does seem like it's very odd because, as this person from Penn Museum notes, there's a ton of writing on these these clay cylinders and on clay tablets from nebekan Azer's time. But often or most of this stu that they have is about him and his conquerings, right, because he controlled the largest version of the Babylonian Empire that ever existed, that you went from Egypt all the way over far to the east, and most of his stuff is writing about building temples in other places that he's basically been through. Right, we rode through this area and I build a badass temple and it only took me fifteen days. Like that's literally what some of his writings said, and you can see that stuff echoing through some of the classical writers. You can see some like specific phrases like the I built it in fifteen days thing talking like some people mention that Nebekinezer built his one of his temples in Babylon in fifteen days, but that's actually incorrect because they're just pulling it from his other writing and attributing it to him building parts of the actual like Babylon. So I don't know, man, it does feel like it's the game of telephone you just mentioned there, that we're trying to piece it together the best we can kind of like they were trying to piece things together the best they could couple hundred years after Nebuchinezer's reign. I don't know, it's feeling like maybe this whole hanging gardens thing never was in Babylon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can see how this can get frustrating. And then some people will say, well, maybe it wasn't a thing at all. Maybe somebody just saw some plants on a hill and made a big deal out of it because they wanted other folks to know they travel right. But I don't know if it's on that far end of the spectrum there, because we have to remember it was years ago. It was baffling we because of this show. I don't know about you guys, but I didn't know that Troy had ever been considered a legendary city, and it was until pretty like until all the way up to the late eighteen hundreds when guy Heinrich Schleiman actually found it. Before then, people thought Troy was a bunch of other cities that have been confused over time or just made.
Speaker 3: Up for a good story.
Speaker 4: And that's one of the questions we have to ask when we ask about the hanging gardens of to your point, Matt Babylon or the hanging guards of at breaks.
Speaker 5: Asiria, that's one.
Speaker 2: What do you what do you Assyria? What do you guys think? What do you guys think people will write about or think about the Georgia guidestones in one hundred years, four hundred years? Did they really exist? Were they there?
Speaker 4: Is?
Speaker 2: I mean, we've got photographic evidence maybe, but it's all digitized. Can they access it.
Speaker 5: Depends exactly whether they can access it or not. And to your point, Ben, whether or not like one, you know, maybe well known chronicler or you know, let's say proto travel blogger, was the one who just said, I'm gonna make this place a star because I see it and I think it's cool and I want to get myself some clout. Now we have so much more access to information, and I just wanted to point out the YouTube channel I was talking about earlier as Geographics, and the lovely British fellow that narrates these videos pointed out that at the time, you know, these were the equivalent of travel bloggers, and today how many travel bloggers are writing about places that they've never actually set foot in. That was not possible back then. You were observing either firsthand or quoting some of these other writers, which is I guess that's sort of similar to you know, just googling things, but you had a lot fewer folks that were doing this that would have enough prominence to be circulated.
Speaker 4: And we're going to pause for a word from our response, or we're going to circulate through an ad break with our own complex podcast irrigation system, and then we'll return to dive a little bit further into the mystery.
Speaker 3: We're back.
Speaker 4: There have been some amazing, incredibly impressive attempts to discover the Hanging Gardens. But even when those attempts failed, which they all have so far, there were still other astonishing discoveries made. Like we've got to chat about Robert Coldove, like you said, Matt, Between eighteen ninety nine nineteen seventeen, this guy led the first modern excavation of ruins in Babylon, and they found at one point a strange arched structure beneath the northeast corner of the Southern Palace. And as soon as they found it, they knew they were certain they have found something important.
Speaker 5: That's right, they found a large stone structure carved stone structure that was resistant to moisture, or at least it was somewhat more resistant to moisture than what maybe typically would have been used in the situation, which would be mud brick, which of course is much more porous.
Speaker 2: Which is what most of the place was made out of.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right. So these thick walls would have really done a fine job of supporting a lot of plant life.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, okay, sounds like good, good planning for a garden. There was also evidence of wells, and Cultivated took this to be evidence of irrigation. They they really dove into this, and they were increasingly well. Factions of the excavation were increasingly certain they had discovered the hanging gardens, but later research would indicate this was probably an ancient version of a warehouse like They even found some writing depicting, you know, X number of goods is going is stored here, et cetera. Doesn't mean it wasn't the hanging gardens. Somebody could have been in the gardens and you know, drop their tablet their shopping list. Maybe I don't know, but that's the thing. There are multiple other near misses in the search, and each time these excavations and the people leading them with the best of intentions, they find amazing ruins of other structures, just not these legendary hanging gardens, and that led scholars to ask the question that you were asking at And I think that we're all asking.
Speaker 3: What if we're just looking in the wrong place. What if we're leading.
Speaker 4: Too hard on this Babylon aspect right? What if there is some other hanging garden in some other part of the world.
Speaker 3: You mentioned to Syria, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, we'll go to serious sec. I just wanted to spend one more moment here on cold of A's excavations. Guys. I think it's incredible that that team built an entire railway just to get the dirt out of the thing that they were trying to excavate. So, you know, when we're talking about coldi of A in the this you know, archaeologist and team of people working with them looking for the hanging gardens or whatever it is. It's not like they checked everything out and they thought, Okay, maybe that's not here. Because it's a huge site. Again, they built a railway to get the dirt out, and they looked everywhere they possibly could and it just wasn't. It didn't seem to be there, right unless it completely fully collapsed and there was zero you know, there's no way you could look at one of the structures that still kind of at least in some way stands there. I just don't think it's possible that they missed the hanging gardens.
Speaker 3: Right well under the Euphrates.
Speaker 2: It could be under the Euphrates, but there's some weird stuff there because when Babylon was you know, conquered and everything, the Euphrates River was diverted away from the city for a time, which is you know, makes me think it probably I don't know, maybe they built it when it was moved away, but that doesn't match up with the timelines. I don't know, man, it's still just maybe. Yeah, it feels like to me it just wasn't ever in Babylon. And I'm glad we're going, you know, checking out some other places because I think some of the Assyrian kings may have wanted to make something like this too.
Speaker 4: Oh, they definitely wrote about it right. Shout out to Oxford University assyriologist Stephanie Dolly Daily, the author of a book called Lost Gardens of Babylon, this professor is legitimate. She argues that the hanging gardens were not built by nebukandezer At in Babylon at all, nebukdzer the second, but in Nineveh by an Assyrian ruler named here we go Sena Cherub, sena Cherub. And don't know why I'm doing Alex trebek voice that always irritated me on Jeopardy when Alex Trebek would by all accounts a tremendous guy, but some game show hosts, but you know, he would read sometimes he'd read off the answers as though he uh, as though he was super familiar with it.
Speaker 5: So sorry, that's sort of his job.
Speaker 3: Though, you know, you know, you've got the card in front of him.
Speaker 5: He does have the card. He didn't know, he didn't write the questions, and he is definitely not the possessor of the wealth of Jeopardy pantheon knowledge. But yeah, and uh and rip national treasure. And this argument leans pretty heavily on some records that were found, these prism shaped stone records that chronicled the reign of the king. And there is a passage that quotes the king directly and saying I raised the height of the surroundings of the palace to be a wonder in capital for all People's a high garden imitating the Amanas mountains. I laid out next to it with all kinds of aromatic plants. So that fits the bill, guys, wouldn't you say, the idea of mimicking a different you know, uh climate, the idea of of mimicking a different landscape, and that in and of itself is sort of the flex right. It's like, I can, I can build anything.
Speaker 3: I'm the king, and it does sound like a kick ass garden.
Speaker 5: Indeed, and just you know, just to go back to what I was saying, this really does feel in keeping with the notion of the king of Babylon imitating a landscape, right, that was like the whole kind of deal. So this very much him saying that, you know, I will raise a high garden imitating the Amanis mountains. I laid next to it with all kinds I laid out next to it, with all kinds of aromatic plants. I mean, this really is I mean, it could well be parallel thinking, you know, I mean this again, like the idea of controlling the environment is kind of tail as old as time and something that man is always sort of aspired to be able to do. I mean, that's sort of what building, you know, archae exture is in and of itself. But the idea of controlling the environment is in a way a godlike power.
Speaker 4: And Senatorub's records from the records from that administration talk about this imitation of Mount Amanus, which is a range in the very very south of modern day Turkey, just the same way people talked about Babylon's King Nebukonezer the Second imitating Persian landscapes for his paramore. Another argument in favor of this is the idea that the Senator administration was also really well known for irrigation and engineering innovations. If there was someone to build a complex irrigation system in this area at this time, it would.
Speaker 3: Be this dude.
Speaker 4: Well, I say this dude, it would be this dude's administration and civilization. And that's that's why for a while some historians even credited him with the invention of the Archimedes water screw. But again, all we know about the Archimedes' water screw is it was definitely not invented by Archimedes, and it works.
Speaker 5: Have you guys seen the new Indiana Jones film yet?
Speaker 2: Is it out?
Speaker 5: It is out in a big This isn't a spoiler because it's literally the name of the film is The Dial of Destiny, which refers to the antithic Kara mechanism at which is, you know, supposedly a lost invention of Archimedes. And again, Archimedes sort of represents this innovative mind you know, of history like like again, like he is sort of credited with being the first person to like invent maths, you know, I mean, not exactly but overstating the case. But that's sort of what happens, you know, with guys like that, who just occupy such a massive space and history and loom so large that the ideas of others often get kind of lumped in with things that maybe they didn't have anything to do with, or that they were just kind of copying or improving upon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a single individual or name becomes kind of an historical repository for a bunch of other stories, a bunch of other events and inventions. But this this is interesting too, because archaeologists found an aqueduct system built during the reign of Sinich arab that used two million blocks of stone.
Speaker 5: Jeez.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was like a big deal. It was a genuine public work. So right now, as a result, this Assyrian argument is one of the most intriguing and plausible theories surrounding the mystery of the hanging gardens. Maybe they were just maybe people were just looking in the wrong place for a long time and found many other amazing things on the way.
Speaker 5: Ben, don't we typically credit the ancient Romans Greeks with inventing aqueduct It's an irrigation and stu, I mean just in general, like is this in in dispute? Like are we are we like questioning even whether or not this technology actually existed or or do we know about these two million blocks? If so, I would think that it would be unequivocally credited to the Assyrians. You know, the idea of inventing public works and aqueducts.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a good question. I think.
Speaker 4: Right now, the first aqueduct is considered to be the aqua Appia, which was made in by ancient Romans. It's a good question who gets the who gets the credit for that one? If enough time passes, you know, and We're the last podcast around that survives and mentions the word aqueducts maybe will be in the history books.
Speaker 5: Well, it's also the nature of conquering forces, isn't it. You know, if you conquer and topple a civilization, you can then rewrite the history books in your favor and take credit for a lot of their innovations. So it is good, It is good at least some of these little remnants, historical remnants remain to at least call into question some of that stuff. But yeah, the idea, it's so much easier is to swallow the big story painted by the winners than it is to maybe think a little further back or a little deeper.
Speaker 4: And that there's a great quote you found, which I believe is it hits on one of the most frustrating parts of this mystery, and it comes from the expert you cited earlier. Maybe we end with this one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Grant Frame. He gave a talk you can find on YouTube right now titled Great Wonders colon searching for the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. He just says, all right, when we're talking about the hanging Gardens of Babylon, I could tell you all about all this other stuff in Babylon. I could tell you about all these other things. Let's talk about that for days. But the hanging gardens, well, we don't know where they were, We don't know what they looked like, and maybe we found them, but we didn't recognize them, and they're lost again, so.
Speaker 4: Completely possible, and unlike the unlike the gardens of Babylon or wherever they may be, we try to be very easy to find, so you won't need an intense excavation. You won't need to build your own rail infrastructure. All you have to do is pop online, give us a call or drop us an email.
Speaker 5: Yes, point your browser to any number of social media sites. Are we on threads yet? Guys? We should know, we should We have no Do.
Speaker 3: You know the thing about threads?
Speaker 4: You know the big news. If you start a thread's account, first off, no one reads terms and conditions. We should do an episode about that. If you start a thread's account and you decide it's not for you and you want to cancel your account, then you also have to cancel your Instagram account if you have an Instagram account. Yeah, so it's like walking into a restaurant saying oh, you know, this isn't for me. I'm not into it, and then having the manager pop out the back of the kitchen and say you can leave if you want, but you'll never into another restaurant to get Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I guess the key there is like, how many of us have you know, social media accounts that we just don't even look at. I did the thing. I'm such a dummy. Gosh, I wish I would to wait until I have this now I am. I did the thing and I looked at it and I was like, okay, but that that is definitely not in the bold print because there is no bullprint, because they make it so easy for you just to click through. Oh you get all your followers, You're only gonna be looking at stuff from them. And I believe Zuckerberg netted about ten million new users overnight.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And you know, and obviously this they pushed the launch of this thing over the holiday kind of quietly, while Twitter is at its absolute lowest, and so, you know, kind of funny how Zuckerberg poured all this money into this metaverse thing totally fell on his face and now he's back in the news By just doing what he's all always done and copied other folks.
Speaker 2: Well, can I be k for some kind of blue thread so everybody knows I'm legit or.
Speaker 5: No, you don't. You don't pay You can't. That's the thing. You can't. You can't pay for it on Instagram. That's exclusively a Twitter thing and part of the reason that it's become such an embarrassing debacle. But that's an episode for another day, possibly an update in our next Strange news Uh. You can, in fact, though, point your browser to our handle conspiracy stuff on Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook, Conspiracy Stuff show on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: If you like to call and talk to people on a voicemail system, why don't you call one eight three three st d w y t K. You've got three minutes, say whatever you'd like, give yourself a cool nickname, and let us know if we can use your message and name on the air. If you don't want to do any of that, but you still want to talk with us, you can send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 4: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want you to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts, from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.