Speaker 1: Hey, this is Anny and Samantha and welcome to Stephman. Never told you a protection of iHeartRadio. And welcome to a feminist movie a Wednesday, Wednesday or whenever it comes out, because we're recording it on Wednesday. Yeah, so we shall see, we shall see.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: We are today talking about CODA, which is an acronym that stands for Children of Deaf Adults And it was an Oscar winning AT twenty twenty one film written and directed by Sean Hayter. And I hope I'm getting that close to right. I looked it up, but I don't know I tried it. It is an English language remake of the twenty fourteen AT French film The Family Bellier and it follows Ruby Rossi, who's play made by Emilia Jones, a child of deaf adults. The deaf characters are played by deaf actors, which shouldn't seem such a big deal, but it unfortunately is currently though the financiers of this movie pushed back on that, and it was at the insistence of Marlee Matlin, who was the first deaf actor to win an Oscar and the first to sign onto this project. She plays the mom who threatened to drop out otherwise. So after that threat they relented them were like, okay, we will cast deav actors to play these deaf characters. About forty percent of the film is communicated through American Sign Language and hater learned for the production learned ASL, and they had two ASL masters, as they were called on set. It's a critically acclaimed coming of age story, though not without some debate within the deaf community, and we're going to talk about that at the end. It won Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor for Troy Kutzer, who was the first stef Man to win an Oscar for acting, and Best Adapted Screenplay at the ninety fourth Academy Awards. So spoilers. I guess this is a recent film.
Speaker 2: This is fairly new, I think twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: So yeah, spoilers. But it was I watched a couple days ago. I was really cute, really like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was a lot more than I thought. By the way, this the lead, the female lead, the young woman is actually in lock and key, and I was like looking at her, like I know her, you know how I do this thing where I had to go back and forth, which By the way, Kutzer was in Criminal Mind and I remember him and that, Oh he did great and okay, I guess he was a serial killer, but whatever, he was really good in it. No episode, but yeah, I thought that was I thought it was good too. Definitely felt a little off, so I could definitely tell there was a bit of controversy where it was coming through an ablest person's lens, so someone who doesn't have who's not deaf, and so I'm like, ah, this is definitely a perspective. It also reminded me of the mister Hollands opus. Have you ever seen that one? The Rosor Dreyfus has a deaf son and he is a composer and a music teacher, and so he has to flip It's like the flip script of like, oh, I have to show my son, I want him to appreciate music. Here's this right, right.
Speaker 1: And that's one of the biggest points of contention about this is that music aspect, which we will talk about. We will talk about, but first let's get into the plot. The film takes place in Gloucester, Massachusetts, and follows seventeen year old Ruby, who is the only member of her family parents, Franka, Jackie, and older brother Leo. With hearing, she is the titular coda. She helps work at her parents struggling fishing business, a business she plans to work at full time once she graduates. And there's this local board meeting that Frank and Leo go to, and people are really angry at it over these sanctions and these fees that are making it harder for businesses to stay afloat pun, causing boats to disappear from the harbor. Frank announces he's going to start his own company to bypass restrictions and sell his own fish, and he calls on others to join him. The family depends on Ruby to spread the words so they can make the new business successful. After seeing her crash, Miles sign up for choir. Meanwhile, Ruby does. She signs up too, hoping to get closer to him. The choir teacher, Mister v pairs her with Miles for a duet and encourages her to do more singing, even trying to convince her to audition for the school He went to Berkeley College of Music, and he offers her the same private lessons he was already providing Miles. She agrees, but all of this stuff stretches her sin as her family frequently needs her to be their interpreter, and this culminates and mister V becoming frustrated with her, alleging she doesn't really care about the music because she's often late or like falls asleep in the lessons.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, because she has to wake up a three in the morning to go fishing and then goes to school and then goes to these lessons. That's impossible for anyone.
Speaker 1: It's a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So one day Ruby goes swimming with Miles because you know, Miles does something bad and he's a jerk and he has to apologize, and this is a way of apologizing. Sure, I guess, yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: After she and the family get into a whole fight, by the way, she decides to go swimming with Miles while Frank and Leo go out fishing accompanied to buy a federal fishing observer who did not realize they were deaf. And when they do not respond to actually, she apparently tattles on them essentially and calls in the coastguard to say that they don't have people. And when they don't respond to the radio calls and horns of the Coastguard who abruptly jump bond like they're gonna take people down and dramatic. They receive a fine and have their fishing license revoked for a while. They get like, twenty five hundred dollars fine is excessive, and this is on top of the fact that they had to pay for this federal person to be on board to make sure they're filing like following regulations. There's a lot of money. You can see why people are agree. Later, they have an argument with Ruby, telling her that she should have been on the boat with them while and while she argued, she can't always be there to interpret and this is not her fault. After Frank and Leo appeal, they get their license back on the condition that they have a hearing person on board with them at all time, and Ruby tells them she'll join the business full time after graduation instead of pursuing college because they would have to you know. They're like, oh, no, what do we do? This leads to another argument. While her parents are happy to know this, Leo gets angry and tells her that she is talented and she'll regret the decision not to go to college and that he is being treated like a baby. There's a lot of motions. The family goes to the choirs recital Ruby's performing in, and though they can't hear her, they see how receptive and positive the crowd is to Ruby singing, and later that night Frank requests that Ruby sings while he fills her vocal cords, and he's overcome with emotion, leading to a shift in their relationship. Yeah, the mother of the whole time is the one that's like, she can't go, she can't go. She did not see moved by the concept. She's just like, man, okay, because she at the beginning, she was like what if she's bad, what if she's really bad. I was like, wow, they're trying to make her look bad, like this editing or this script is making the mom look really cold.
Speaker 1: Not She has that line too in the beginning where she's like, so if I was blind, you'd want to be a painter.
Speaker 2: I was like, whoa, this is like this is really heated, and she's all joking about it that there's no real like it's almost worse because it's like coldly done with no care. But I was like, well, okay, that's how we're gonna interpreted this character. How dare you do that to Marley? Anyway, So the whole family drives with Ruby to her audition to Berkley, getting out of there a little late. Once they get there, Ruby bumps into Miles, who wishes her luck and tells her he didn't make it that he choked on at the auditions. There's a rule on no guests at the auditions, but Ruby's family finds this advantage point to watch, and so they were at this upstairs balcony and when she had forgotten her music, mister V comes in, who had supposedly left but came back and accompanies her because the other person who was on the piano did not know how to play Joni Mitchell's song.
Speaker 1: Yes Yes, and Ruby, because of all of these things, is very nervous, and mister V makes a deliberate misstep miss key, so she can start again, and after she catches sight of her family, she becomes more confident and she sings and signs both sides now by Joni Mitchell. The judge noticed the family and realize what's going on, but she gets in and invites Miles to visit her. Meanwhile, the Fishers in the community have been learning sign language so they can communicate while her family drives away. After she is dropped off at college, she signs that she loves them very much.
Speaker 2: Yes. End of story.
Speaker 1: At the ending.
Speaker 2: So, by the way, Miles is Scottish. That's something I always have to know. And the girl who plays Ruby is English. Really, I'm all always like, look at them in their accents. They did a great job. But let me mock them on the door, but let me note that they I don't know why, but that's always fascinates me when I'm like, oh, look at that. Okay, I would have never known. Good on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was watching another I've been in my BA in my mountaineering. I don't know what is going on with me, but I was watching Everest. Uh, and it has Martin Henderson who is in X with a very southern accent. But he's also isn't he in True Blood? And he has a like anyway, I had a moment because he has a New Zealand Everest. You know you know who it is. Well, it's like if you saw him, you'd be like, oh, this is just the podcast where we like go on tangents about actor and.
Speaker 2: This is what I do in real life. Though, yes, this is Blood.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he was. I don't know.
Speaker 2: No, I don't. Oh, okay, I know you're talking about but he definitely wasn't on True Blood. You're wrong, all.
Speaker 1: Right, I accept that. I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm not like Hugh Samantha Anatomy. Oh, I wouldn't know about that. Well, we've gone off the rails, we have, but coming back to Everest and the accents.
Speaker 1: Well we don't need to come back to that at all.
Speaker 2: But yes, I think it's different because because of these actors and especially being Ruby, she is usually the American sign language. And I've always thought that was interesting too, because she's having to fly, not that she KNEWSI language to begin with, but you know, it's different from different countries, so I wondered what the differences would be and that and her like adapting to that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and most of the cast and crew did learn ASL. So I think it said it took her nine months to learn to be able to do it, like very confidently because it's part of her role. She does through that through throughout the film. But yeah, that that was an interesting aspect of it. It is a very it's a very coming of age short. It's a very feel good story, and that was one of the critiques of it was the ending was so nice, which is funny to me. I get it, I get it, but it is like, oh, everything works out.
Speaker 2: Oh, but you know, I think it's also I was surprised. I was hesitant in watching this movie because I do feel like it's as voyeurism to a certain extent that I don't It makes me uncomfortable with anything like this, But it's also like there's a Again, the two sides to this coin is that it does make me uncomfortable. You should be uncomfortable, you should be wanting to watch this, but what type of voyeurism is this learning? Or are you just doing this in a like an almost fetish sized way. Because also a sign language is kind of like that too. I wanted to learn sign language. I think I feel like every person wants to learn sign language growing up. But then it's like, Okay, what is the reason do you really want to? And then people who teach it and get obsessed with it, teach it incorrectly and then take away from those who actually like the deaf teachers who are like hey, don't do it that way, please, you're messing us up type of thing, like, that's a whole conversation on TikTok that's been happening and forth for a while right now, people with good intentions not doing it correctly and then really throwing off an entire community of people were like, this is our language, please stop this.
Speaker 1: Right, And I think when it comes to this movie, that was one of the that's one of the biggest critiques or just conversation points because people people did have a lot of thoughts about it. But one of the things is, you know, they had these two ASL people on set at all times. One of the things people wrote about that really resonated with me was again those like small things that you don't know unless you that's your experience, so you do. There are things in ASL, which I did take in elementary school. I would never ever presume to be any kind of expert, but like, unless you speak in that all the time, you're going to as a hearing person kind of try to put it in a way a hearing person would put it, and it's not always that same way, right, So that was one of the things people brought up is some of those differences they saw one watching this movie. And I would say the conversation and the deaf community that came out after this came out like no community is a monolith. But overall it felt like people were very torn in that, like they liked a lot of They liked a lot of it, but there are other parts that are like this is actually damaging, right, so and that's it's complicated. And that was another thing a lot of people said is that you know, there's deaf experience varies and it is often very complicated. So it was just a lot of talking around around that and the actors they got all the phrase which is great. They were great. There was also a lot of conversation around the depiction of the parents as sexually active and self sufficient, because that's something we've talked about a lot of times people with disabilities are desexualized in media, so they were talking about that. I did see some conversation though about how it was sort of used humorously, like they were like very sexual, but it was very humorous, and I think like, because unfortunately we don't have this representation a lot, then that feels almost like they aren't being very sexual like not sexualized. That's not the right word, but it's almost like it's being like used as a joke as opposed to like they're actually sexually active.
Speaker 2: I mean I could say that because any joke. I wonder too. Those also like the parents the embarrassment for a child in general, and that could be in any way right for any spectrum of communities. But like I also thought that was interesting with a brother, like they made sure like he was always on tender trying to find a mate, and then he did hook up with the friend, which was not wonderful, but like it took it into like, no, this is their sexual people. They're handsome, they're like all these things. They're attractive. Nothing like takes away their deafness, does not take away from their dating life growth, dating growth whatever however he has it. But like I think that that they did that in a good light as well. But I can see like, yeah, again, like when I was talking about the reason I think people were shocked about the good ending is most award winning, especially when it comes to oscars, it needs to be tragic or tragic warn for you to actually like it. So I appreciated that, Like it's a difference instead of seeing something to go destroyed because of a disability or you know when we see the feel good movies where someone has a disability and they died and everybody cries, are like, that's awful. Why are we praising this movie? They don't have to die, not just disabled person has to die to make this a good film? What the hell? And which is like a huge critique in the entirety of the film industry. So like it's kind of a double edge sortain, like, well, the opposite way of not having a good ending is is that better? Because we don't want that either, do we?
Speaker 1: Right? Right? I think again, it has to do so much of this is very complicated because there isn't this representation. So I think a lot of it was like people codis who are like, no, that's not that wasn't my experience. But I'm happy to see this representation, right, But because there's just so little representation, yeah, then it's I guess it's still there's like a lot of work to be done that it could be so much better.
Speaker 2: I mean, like it absolutely holds true, like that you're getting the crumbs. It's like you have to be appreciative because at least you have something, So why are you complaining we finally gave it to you. I mean that's that whole conversation, Like when Parasite came through and everybody was pissed. This is you know, like that they won and Peoble like, why are you too lazy to read subtitles? Is that a hard thing for you? Are you? Are you really struggling? But like stuff like that, and we had to be you know, we I'm talking about like Asian people, like had to be grateful. It was a good film, don't get me wrong, but the entire day of the film was like, oh, well look how these poor people?
Speaker 1: And also.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's squid games, same thing, everything is awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that was That was definitely something I read a lot researching. This was people writing about like I didn't feel like I could critique it in any way because it's you know, so rare, and that they were legitimately like did like it or at least parts of it and were happy to like they did still see it as a huge deal of like representation that it wasn't a story about pity, but not being comfortable because it is unfortunately so rare because opportunities are so slim. Right to make any kind of public critique.
Speaker 2: Right it is. And again like for us who are hearing people, we really don't have the right to say one way or the other. Like we didn't say we enjoyed the movie, we enjoyed the acting all that for sure, and that bias, but we can't really say one thing or the other because it's not our it's not our fight, it's not our conversation. This is not our platform to be able to be like this is why I should be loved by all the Duck community, because that's absolutely not true, and we should he listen to the critiques. I did find it interesting. I don't know about you. Did you You watched it on Apple right, which is not a sponsor right now, not currently, but the intent. So when you watched it, did it have the subtitles for the ASL?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: So when I was reading it, because what I was watching it on a different platform, I'm not gonna talk about that, it did not have subtitles and I was like, oh no, no, what do I do? So I had to go back through because again forty percent of the movie is an ASL's like oh no, they intended not to actually, like they did that on purpose, like it's provided for you can get it, but the idea was like that the hearing people would be left in the dark, often as people who are not hearing or who are deaf who have maybe issues and not being able to access the subtitles or the captions close captions. So I was like, oh, I guess I could try to watch it that way. I could not by the way I could not. I was like this, I can't do this. It's so frustrating. So it kind of teaching you a little lesson. But that's I did read that and the intent they didn't necessarily do it on purpose, but they left it out on this kind of you know what I'm saying, like with like you could get it, but yeah, it's accessible, but we're not going to necessarily do it easily for you. That's interesting, And I'm guessing like the streaming service since it was produced by Apple mm hmm, they did they would provide that on their own streaming service. But of course for me, I am now at the age I love subtitles and now cannot watch movies without subtitles. When we go to theater, and I'm like, oh my god, I'm suffering right because I can't see the subtitles. I love them, and I feel like I can't hear it correctly if I'm not looking at the subtitles. A lot of people will understand this. Yeah, but like, yeah, so that's automatic, so you might not you might not have known. But according to one of the things that I read, that was an intentional decision.
Speaker 1: Huh, Yeah, that's interesting. And I did read a bunch from the creators that they did want to do stuff like that to like make you realize how many things that we take for granted as hearing people.
Speaker 2: Right. I'm interested though, So anybody who went to the theater, Yeah, and see this, it was the captions there, Like, I don't want to wonder how they I assume they did.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming they did, but.
Speaker 2: Because of the theater. But like, yeah, that's just what I read in a couple of things.
Speaker 1: Well, this movie one of the reasons people think it won. And I don't want to detract anything from it, but it came out during COVID, which was when we were all like feel good, feel good, But it was because another controversy it caused was it was the first movie released directly to streaming that won an oscar, and people were very like, that's not a real movie, you know how they get about streaming.
Speaker 2: We've like, let that go now because that's what I think we take.
Speaker 1: I think we have. But at the time people were still mad. So it probably did. If it was on streaming first, then it very well might have had you had to go and put on the captions.
Speaker 2: So for those people who are unlike me who don't watch TV captions on the regular, how does it work? I guess you can't go and you can go and find it out. Take off the captions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I'll do some investigating.
Speaker 2: Right, get to investigating, girl.
Speaker 1: Oh you know I love investigating. Well, okay, So another big piece of this conversation, which we did mention earlier, was the use of music specifically and the idea that deaf people can't enjoy it, or people's reactions to it being miserable that they can't enjoy it. That line I kind of made fun of earlier, Would you be a painter if I was blind? I feel like they realized this was a thing, but they did it anyway for kind of drama. It felt like right.
Speaker 2: Well, and then I'm wonder like because Marlee is very, very, very outspoke and she always has been, like she's one of the first. Like I will say, the two of them are probably the most well known deaf actors, and especially now, but I have seen him on screen time more than any other deaf actors outside of Marlee as well, So I wonder, like how much input they Obviously Marley has like a lot of say so with the fact that she held out, which was amazing, which I'm again, like you said, I can'tnot believe that wasn't even a conversation, but that they would not have been like this line is real, real bad, this line. This is not what I was saying because again, like Marley, the mom's character was not likable, Like she wasn't I didn't hate her like a lot of the other but like she was not likable. It didn't quite make sense. And I don't know if it's because we wanted to sympathize with the daughter so much, which by the way, is an ablest view we've seen. We've talked about it before, how they make the caretakers a guardian angel as if they are savior, and that's just as bad as anything else. And this is what we see here. So I wonder like if they're like because Marley has been self sufficient, because she can also communicate. She can actually speak pretty well. I don't know if it's read lisps, but I think she's able to read lips and so I like she's self sufficient, like she doesn't necessarily need that type of you know what I mean, like a daughter to translate.
Speaker 1: That's related to another critique a lot of people had was it's unrealistic. It's unrealistic that there would not be an interpreter in professional settings. The ADA requires that. Yeah, I read that, but I mean, as we talked about, ADA is not perfect, and it does require litigations sometimes. But like there should have been someone provided.
Speaker 2: But they owned a private business. Yes, so does seem to kind of like under the radar a lot of the times, right.
Speaker 1: I wanted to include this quote from someone who specializes in death portrayals in things quote. When Beacam first saw the trailer of the movie, she thought the story must be set in the past. It was the only explanation she could think of for Frank and Jackie's dependence on Ruby instead of on professional interpreters, which have been mandated ever since The Americans with Disabilities pasted in nineteen ninety, acknowledging that interpreting services aren't always provided and that many children interpret in a pinch. Beacon pointed out that the script made no mention of this being a last resort for the family. The movie also rarely showed deaf people communicating through other methods like video relay services, mobile phone apps. Lip reading are just plain old pencil and paper.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm not gonna lie. That was like the rational part of me, and like, why wouldn't they just text like they're doing? That makes the most sense. Why wouldn't they write? Why are they not writing things to each other? Like I don't quite stand. It's not like pen and paper don't.
Speaker 1: Exist, right, And that's I think like the heart of most of every critique I read was this was still told from a hearing case. It had people on sets who were deaf, had actors who were and as you said, I'm sure one hundred percent sure that they did raise points and were impactful, but ultimately it was still told from a hearing gaze, and it was very much about ruby and you know, the coda experience too, Like people who were CODA spoke up about it like this is not that wasn't my experience, Like still wonder.
Speaker 2: About like when she talks about being young and talking funny, as she says in the movie, not not saying that, I'm saying that, is that a typical experience from a CODA.
Speaker 1: Well that was one thing I read about, Like that line in particular, was that that's a thing maybe you can talk about and say if you are actually in the deaf community or CODA who is in the deaf community, but like you know, like as someone who isn't that you shouldn't be making that comment, that joke like that because you're not. You don't know where it's coming from. You don't know all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: Like like that's what I'm like, It's maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they're like insulated with only deaf people. But she seemed to be surrounded by a lot of hearing people, so that would seem like I don't think that would be as prevalent as that would seem unless she was completely isolated in the community. Again, we don't know. They don't really talk about that backstory because she also says, you only see her deaf friends once a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was something that came up too, And I think someone pointed out that she is she's kind of like the virtuous perfect character, like she wants to sacrifice for her family, as you said, but also she's kind of judgy about sex with her friends and her brother, which again I feel like it's the strangeness between like I get it when your family and sex is weird. But also it felt something about it felt very like virtue singing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was too many storylines in those maybe again because we open with her singing, so you know from jump oh, she's got a good voice, but she's singing around her us A family, so she doesn't know, they don't know. Whatever whatnot, we go this is this is a setup to like her loving singing and then her family not approving of it. I'm like, I don't know if that's truly a thing. I don't feel like maybe maybe I'm just being too open minded in that the Pitt families are like families who grow together. Sure, but I don't think they automatically would have been like no, no college for you. That seems so backwards nineteen eighty maybe right, nineties even.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yeah, And I think part of it too was I understand storyline wise, and I did. I really enjoyed the movie, but we you know, like storyline wise, I get the drama of it, but because it has so much like ablest stuff around it, the fact that she her singing is the thing and they can't hear it and so forward, they must be miserable and she can't share it with them and they must be miserable. It's just not true. It's like not a great message.
Speaker 2: I mean, I did say at one point that the dad really likes gangster rap, which I was like, can we just say hip hop? Can you just say, like that's unnecessary to say gangster rap, Like that's obviously a joke line there, but like because he likes the beats, and I don't know if that's not true, but I know I've definitely seen artists talk about who are hard of hearing, or composers who are hard of hearing talking about they hear the beat and that's how they follow it and create music and is often amazing and that doesn't limit people to do creating music, and it's the beat lines. But I'm like, wow, Okay, that's I guess that's good. But at the same time, why are we saying it that way?
Speaker 1: Y'all right? And that was another big scene that people are like, no, that doesn't ring true. Is when he feels the vibrations of her throat and roby singing and her dad feels the vibrations of her throat, which is a very emotional scene, but a lot of deaf people were like, that would be like feeling a ring tone of a phone or like feeling a vibrate, and that it can actually be a traumatizing method used to teach deaf people on how to speak. So that was just kind of another instance where people like this obviously it was not written right someone in the deaf community.
Speaker 2: They thought it'd be a pretty touching moment. And then you're like, right, you should have consulted somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And again so many people said that the experience is very buried within the community. But still, yeah, like somebody I imagine would have been like, hey, actually.
Speaker 2: This one, yeah, this one. And again, it's different. It's not a singular experience. People have different experiences. It is a singular experience, rather that people have different experiences, individual experiences, but the conversation should be maybe we should do it in a different way. I don't know, Like I A was thinking she was gonna start signing yeah music to him to let him know the words of what it means. That was like, why why wouldn't you go ahead and sign the song? Yeah, maybe that's more difficult than to translate. I don't know, but I was like, yeah, okay, okay, we're just touching. We're just yeah, just touching.
Speaker 1: Well. And then I had a moment of like, am I supposed to interpret this as he's so sad he can't hear her, which is again not the thing we should be doing. Or is it that he's like actually getting something from the vibrations right again?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is it like oh I want to be a part of this and this is the best way I can do it? Whatever? Whatnot? Also the flip from the mom again, like the next day everybody decided to take her to Boston. I was like, wait what Yeah, I know the brother would have been on top of it, but the mother. I was like, shouldn't we have a fight. No, she just doesn't care.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go. Yeah, that was a moment where I was like, wait, a minute I missed something.
Speaker 2: But so quickly we were all like, what's that, what's that? What's just happened?
Speaker 1: Who's going where?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's something I read from Codas too, was that it didn't properly capture the things that they are more worried about or have to deal with, and one of them was not being able to call in a pinch if you really need to, especially in the case of an emergency. And then a lot of them, a lot of the articles I read brought up the scene where Ruby misinterprets for her parents as a joke like they you can't have sex ever, that's what the doctor is saying, which I also, as we said, I understand the underlying it makes us uncomfortable as kids to think about that. But a lot of people Codas were like, no, normally that that's upsetting. That's like you don't do that right, right, right.
Speaker 2: That's for sure, Like any any interpsation, any like, yeah, we would have this whole conversation because when we would have Spanish speaking clients at different things and they would bring the kid and we're like, we can't do this. This is so bad because yes, if they misinterubor like anything or leave something out. This could be probably a huge problem and a violation for both us and the parents, and so that should be a no note to be given. Again, like studies like doctor's with privacy, typically it shouldn't have ever been a.
Speaker 1: Child, right, Yeah. And I think one of the bigger one of the issues a lot of people brought up was that it was played specifically for laughs. It was used as a joke line, and a lot of people shared like their own personal stories of doing that in a medical sense and how up setting it was. So yeah, that came up a lot. I did find I mentioned it recently. Who knows when the schedule things have come out, but I mentioned recently that I did find a paper about hearing loss and interacting at big crowds, and I was really amazed at how many little like it's those little things where it's like, yes, I know what that is, I know exactly what that is that you don't know unless you've like really lived it. And I feel like that that was throughout of the sort of hearing gaze of this movie is those little intricacies, right. I would say the one of the general vibes I got that was going back to what we were talking about earlier was a lot of people feeling very torn because they were glad the movie got made, but wanting more and not wanting Hollywood to shy away because they were critiques like this. I'm like, oh, we can't do it because the deaf community wasn't happy, Oh or never like not wanting that to happen and wanting to provide more support for movies like this and deaf creators. But I know, we've just been going over a lot of critiques and they're important, Like, we have to talk about this. I did really like and I feel like most people I read as I said, did enjoy it, but there were problematic, damaging, right things in there and we have to talk about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then in general, I think it's overall talking about taking a lesson.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The truth of the matter is, because of stigmas and so much ablest ideals, racist ideals, all the things, you're never going to have a perfect movie and you're always going to have someone critiquing something that's going to be an obvious. But when you hear a majority of people saying this is the problem we need to fix that, you need to listen and Again, as we talked about in our feminist around the world, when we talk about not including those marginalized people in every aspect of the thing, including screenwriting, including production, including editing, then you're going to do cause these big like conversations which could be avoided if you brought them in at the jump. So the fact that Marley had to in the middle of casting threaten someone instead of it being handled from jump is a problem and that has to be talked about in general. So when we talk about these criticisms, it's not because we're like, oh, this is an awful movie. It was an enjoyable movie. I thought each actor did an amazing job with the character they had. Really grateful to see that they are being highlighted and they're starring in it. That's amazing. Like we want to get accolades to that. Now, let's bring in people of color with that, you know what I mean, and marginalized people and people around the world who have their own different cultural ways of interpreting things. But the fact is that because it wasn't handled from jump, that's the problem, and that's what you have to talk about. And we want to praise the fact that you know, this woman who decided she wanted to do this was excited to celebrate this type of lifestyle. It's beautiful and we want to celebrate that too. But to truly celebrate is to understand you're out of your depth and you're gonna need to lean on the people who understand it.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And I think that I'm it sounds so kind of cliche, but I'm glad we're having these conversations because I think one of the things this movie did do was for people who maybe have never thought about it, who have internalized ableism and didn't know who maybe don't even know I'd never heard the word ableism before. Like I'm hoping, I know it started some conversations, and I'm hoping more and more people were reached through that and had more questions of, like, there's more to this than just a coming of age feel good story that we need to discuss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to start from somewhere, and so even if it's to the from being wrong to being corrected, that's still the beginning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, it is, and it I mean, this movie was his work in a lot of ways, and it's one of those things where we talk about it and I wish it wasn't so historic because it's twenty one when it came out, but it was so listeners. If you saw this when it came out, If you have any more information about how the closed caption situation subtitle situation was, please please let us know. If you have any thoughts about any of this, please let us know. You can email us at Stuffmedia, Momstuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff I Never Told You. We have a tea public store we can buy some merchandise. We have a book that you can pre order, comes out August tween ninth, and you can pre order it at stuff you Should Read Books dot com. You can also pre ordered on Audible. Thanks as always too, our super producer Christina, our executive producer Maya, and our contributor Joey. Thank you all, and thanks to you for listening. Stuff I Never Told You is production by Heart Radio. For more podcasts on my heart Radio, you can check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 2: No