Speaker 1: Thank you for pulling up a share on my podcast Table for Two. We're back in New York at Via Carota, and we're having lunch with a vivacious, super fit and wildly talented actress.
Speaker 2: I hear, my beautiful friend.
Speaker 1: If you missed my Table for two lunch with Anna Winter, I bring it up because her breakout role was in the devil Wares product. She's done so much more since then, including playing Mary Poppins and starring in the breakout hit A Quiet Place with her husband John Krasinski. Her new film, Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer, comes out next week. It's really good, delicious, funny and charming. Don't do her justice. And I know we're going to have a great time. So I have a glass of rose because today we're having lunch. You guessed it with Emily Blunt. I'm Bruce Bosi and this is my podcast Table for two.
Speaker 2: This is the deal. Everybody who's listening.
Speaker 1: They pulled up for sure to have like sort of like a brunch lunch with us. You Emily is schlunked it in from Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: Throw up, it's a new It's you schlunked it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you get home and you say to John, I schlocked he's going.
Speaker 3: To be flunked across Brooklyn to get to him. And he sends you so much love, so much, I love your husband.
Speaker 1: When we met, everybody, it was an instant love fest. Yeah, with the three of us, you do something, you and John. You did it in la and you've done it in Brooklyn. When you lived in l A, you have like your community you lived with, you know, on the same block with Jimmy and Molly Kim, you know, Lucy and mad Damon.
Speaker 3: They're in our building.
Speaker 2: You're in your building here.
Speaker 3: There, we're like some weird commune.
Speaker 2: I know, what is that about?
Speaker 3: Like I don't ever see Matt Damon not in his slippers anymore, you know, it's just always in his slippers. I haven't seen him in regular shoes in a long time. Really. Yeah, that's because we live in the same buildings. We just pop down to see each other.
Speaker 2: And I love that.
Speaker 3: It's the best.
Speaker 2: What made that happen?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: How did that?
Speaker 3: Well? I mean we I've been close with Matt since I worked with him years ago. I did this film called Adjustment Bureau, and the four of us all hung out a lot you know, Lucy and Matt and me and John and and we just it's quite rare when you really take someone away from a movie. You know, you can love someone on a film, but it's whether it's whether it's lasting or not is another thing. You know, whether it extends past this insular experience on a film is a whole other level of friendship, right, because you have such accelerated friendships with people on a movie.
Speaker 1: It's absurd how much the amount of time you're spending.
Speaker 3: Tea in the intensity of what you're creating. And it's just it's a world that is that everyone else is shut out of, including your partner, including everyone. It's just it's just a strange experience for three months to work on something like that and build something together. But then Matt is just the most easygoing, beautiful person. Lucy is even more beautiful. Sorry, Matt, but we all became friends. And then they moved to Brooklyn. They said, we found that there's this amazing building, and of course we were like, we'll live in the same building. But there's really lovely, cool people living in Brooklyn and we have Sunday night dinners and it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just throwback, yeah, and I think it's great because so often, like we go into these corners and like we've lost the sort of community of family and friends as a result of the easiness of that. So it reminds me of Lucy Etho, Ricky and Fred, you know, the island of Lucy. So if you had a sort of cast in this foursome, Yeah, who's sort of like the Lucy.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm Lucy, righty.
Speaker 1: I always like somehow getting people in trouble, always.
Speaker 3: Like something goes wrong, always up to something.
Speaker 1: But that's kind of great just to come down and be like Lucy, come on down and the kids.
Speaker 3: The kids love each other. And Brooklyn's a funny sort of like certainly where we live is like a Sesame Street sort of Norman Rockwell thing. I mean, it sounds so idyllic and but it really is. And for me, it's one of the only places I could really live in America because I do miss London, I do miss home, and yet this community is so intoxicating that I just can't picture leaving it. London has beckoned to me many times over the last fourteen years. I've sort of been living in America and I miss it. I missed the attitude, I the irreverence. I miss the vibe of the Brits. I love them. And even though I had got an American passport and I'm married to America, my children American, I feel so English still.
Speaker 2: So we've been at several weddings. I was at your wedding.
Speaker 3: That was the best. By the way, my mother still talks about my mother. You spun her around the dance floor like a spinning top. And she literally said to me, she still talks about it, how sexy you made her feel. Not just that she thought you were sexy, but she did. But she went and you know what, he made me feel so sexy, And I went, that's great, mom, Like if I cringe out.
Speaker 2: She loved it was that was great.
Speaker 3: You're the best person to have on a dance floor because you're so delighted by the whole You can see you are delighted by it. You spin everyone into a frenzy. Everyone wants to be Oh, you lean in, you full throttle the dance floor.
Speaker 1: Do you find that now? I mean, your body work is incredible.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And then you know, I just watched the Curry again, which wow, man, you were just moving that was a tough movie. Yes, tough character, super hard physically and really intense as far as you know obviously the subject matter and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're amazing, Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Do you find two things? One is like having to stay in like the top form that you're in, which you are so it seems part of the business you're in.
Speaker 2: And then also sort of making sure everything because.
Speaker 1: You know, being a mother, being a professional personall.
Speaker 3: It does and it doesn't well, not always well, you know. It's one of those things when people like, how do you balance it? I never feel I'm doing it right, you know, but I'm this year, I'm not working. I just need to be. Yeah, I just need to. I worked quite a bit last year, and my oldest baby is nine. I were in the last year of single digits, and I just feel there's cornerstones to their day that are so important when they're little, and it's will you wake me up? Will you take me to school? Will you pick me up? Will you put me to bed? And I just need to be there for all of them for a good stretch, and I just felt that in my bones. I had a beautiful time on the projects I did last year. Some were more intense than others, some were harder than others, someone more time consuming than others, and the ones that are time consuming, I think for me are becoming few and further between because of just the emotional cost on me, on the kids. On balance, and I'm very prone to guilt, and I think maybe all mothers are. You're just prone to feeling bad for God forbid, wanting something outside of being a mother. I am a huge advocate for it. I'm a huge advocate for women being ambitious. I love the word ambition. It's just dreams with purpose. That's all it is. It's not another world it is, That's what it is.
Speaker 2: That's what it means.
Speaker 3: And it's just and I want my kids to grow up and find something that they adore doing.
Speaker 1: And your kids watching you do something that you adore, Yeah, so important.
Speaker 3: It's so important. And of course they're just horrified by the fact that I'm an actress, which is sort of so embarrassed by and I have no desire to watching me in anything, which is very healthy because they just want me to be their mom. So the balance is usually it sways in extremes, like I'll work too much and then I'll have like a complete reaction against it and an aversion to being on a film set for a long time, and then I'll want to desperately work again. So I don't know if I do it moderately. I think I just have these pulls towards it and against it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's so beautiful that you now, and we're going to talk about because you do. You have a number of projects that are about to be reallyasing exactly.
Speaker 3: This sort of gives you an idea of what last year was, you know, and that's why I need to Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the idea that you've made a sort of formal decision in your life that you make it is very empowering to say, I'm going to take a break here where you wake up just peaceful, peaceful.
Speaker 3: I sleep great because when I work, I which I also love about it. I find it a heart racing experience. When I work, I love it. There's clearly this fire in me that I need to give room to. But I race with it for months leading up and then during and so when I finish a project and once it sort of expelled from me, I sleep again. So I don't know if I sleep great or I think straight when I'm working, and it's funny.
Speaker 1: I understand that completely. And I also think just being.
Speaker 2: A parent in and of itself, yeah.
Speaker 1: Not even having a job and a career like yours, which is so big, and that is part of the just the gig is you have to leave to do it. Sure, Guilt is just a part of being a parent. It's like a minute the kid pops out, You're.
Speaker 3: Like, guilty, doing righty guilty. I'm like, wow, I'm not doing facilating. The moment they come out.
Speaker 4: Of your body, it's just like, oh my god, Yes, what are like the little things?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That you really if it's not too personal for me to ask, like which on like little? Like the little is it a walk in the park? Is it like a couple of coffee in the morning.
Speaker 3: It's usually the morning. We got a puppy who's absolutely beautiful. Because we got this puppy like idiots, even though I'm completely obsessed with her.
Speaker 2: This was a year to get it because and I knew.
Speaker 3: This was the time, because you know, it always falls on mom less burial, that's burial. And I wasn't wanting to get a dog, but the kids were pushing for it. And he and John was up for it. So we rescued this beautiful little She's not little, like she's going to be vast. We're realizing she's part massive, realizing, oh my god, she's already like a horse. She's five months. She's absolutely vast. I was like, I fell in love with her, fell in love there, couldn't care less. She had diarrheal last week. Imagine that in an apartment, no outdoor space. That's fun to wake up too, just Jackson pollocked all over the walls, just the little things that I do. So that was a rough week, that is, aside from our usual peaceful morning. But I like that quiet moment. I don't mind getting up early with this puppy because it means that John and I can kind of talk in the morning and catch up and really talk before the kids are awake and everything. Because the day gets away from you so quickly once once the tornadoes are up, it's just sort of game over. So I love those moments. I love watching movies. I love going for dinner with friends, love all of that. I love watching things like The Voice.
Speaker 2: I mean we love The Voice.
Speaker 3: Only the blind auditions. After that, I get a lot I agree.
Speaker 1: The blind auditions are showing really good. Thanks for joining us on Table for two. Emily has started in many films and has had an amazing career, and I'm wondering what really grabs her as an actress when she's considering a role. I mean, I don't think one looking at your career would So you've stayed in a lane. I mean from the movie that sort of launched you to the Mary Poppins to being in Siargan blowing people up, killing you know, and girl on a train, it's like you're.
Speaker 2: Hitting it at all.
Speaker 3: I do try to. It's sort of a conscious effort to keep experimenting. Really, I do have the desire still, I know in me I don't want to play it safe. I do continue to want to rip the face off stuff.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: Oh I love you.
Speaker 1: I just love how you speak. That is like a visceral. That's kindly blunt visceral.
Speaker 3: You want to rip the face off. And I want to keep sort of challenging myself and not discovering the bag of tricks. I would love not to stay in a lane. So I do find it scary every time, you know, you kind of put your feet to the fire and do something new or something I've done before. I remember Marlon Brando said, you only have so many faces, really, and it's interesting, and I think that's the encouragement to be selective about what you choose to do, you know, And I am aware of that of like, well, what have I done before? What's new? What's scary? What do I when I read it? Do I have no idea how to play it? I like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that's very interesting.
Speaker 3: I like it when it doesn't strike me immediately.
Speaker 1: Are there people actresses or actors from the past that you that inspired you growing up, or that you or that you look at and say that's the kind of or work you know someone that's it's such.
Speaker 3: A range of people, really. I mean it's one of my first experiences, rather inappropriately watching a film I shouldn't have done, was watching Pretty Women, and I remember just thinking, I can't remember how old I was too young to be watching it.
Speaker 1: You were young, because I could tell you the movie theater I was sitting in, and it was nineteen ninety ninety one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're born in the eighties, which is okay.
Speaker 1: I was about to graduate high school, so you were Yeah, you were quite young to see that.
Speaker 3: You were basically theater. I'm sure I saw it. I know I saw it when it came out on like video cassettes, so I'm not that young, like there were DVD's guys. I remember when I remember when she pulls out the condoms and she fans them, yes, yes, which again I said, what are those?
Speaker 1: Dad?
Speaker 3: And he goes, they're sweet? Yeah, candy, candy.
Speaker 2: Shock, thank you.
Speaker 3: That's I just couldn't don't know what they were, right, So, but I remember watching her and then in every movie I saw afterwards, just being completely bewitched by her because she was so free and charming and yet brilliant, and when she would cry, it was this emotional force of reality and truth. And I just felt like she could do anything and she was. She just lit things up, and I thought, that's a movie stuff. Wow. But she's also just an incredible actress. So she was sort of my first experience with like really being inspired by an actor totally completely. And then of course the Meryl Streeps and the Diane Weese and like all those incredible actresses who I've loved in so many different things. I remember Edward Sissahans just being just in love with Diane. We just wanted her to adopt me.
Speaker 2: She was always just lit up the screen, which she incredible. Yeah, but that's interesting. I always wonder like who inspires Street?
Speaker 1: So just to touch upon it you've talked about a million times, but it's like, what was that like for you as such a young girl to work with this woman and not only sort of have to like live up to something but hit it out of the park.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Was that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: How'd you walk on that set? The first thing?
Speaker 3: I mean, the table read itself was sort of goose bumpy, stomach churning, exciting. Found it very nerve wracking, you know, listening to it's like in a table read, which are the worst things on earth? Just terrifying because everyone's sort of marking it. But then you feel if you mark it, people are going to kind of judge you for it and be like, is that all she's going to do? You know, and like, but yeah, you kind of don't want to go all out because then you don't want to look keen. So it's just that it's a terrible balance to try and stride and the best things you were probably just to kind of mutter your way through it and.
Speaker 2: Not really do it.
Speaker 3: But I felt, you know, no one knew who I was, and this was kind of a big part for me to get and it was just a big opportunity. So not to say I went full throttle, but I didn't mutter my way through it, you know, so consciously. But I remember listening to them reading the scenes leading up to my first line and just bricking it just I don't know if you know what that means. It's a British term shitting bricks. So when you're bricking it, you're bricks.
Speaker 1: So I was waiting for each person going around, you're just getting more.
Speaker 3: So then it came up to my first line and I said my first line, which I can't remember what it was, something about human resources certainly have an odd sense of humor, or something about poor Annie hath the Way's character. And Meryll did this sort of low, rumbly laugh to herself, and I was like, and I was so thrilled. And whether or not she found it funny is besides the point. It's just the fact that I think she she can read the room. She knows when people need a little bolster or a little lean or some little catch. And she's a master of reading the room and reading people, which is why she soaks people up and she probably puts them into all of her characters. But she's also dealing with And we talked about it afterwards, you know, we've done three films together now, and she said, you know, she's basically a lot of the time, I realized dealing with doing two jobs, which is one of which is the scene and the other one is dealing with the other actor going oh my god, I'm in a scene with Meryl Street. So it's sort of a two prong job. I think someone of her stature and I think she just wants to be treated like everybody else. She wants the notes, she wants, she wants the screws tightened on he like everybody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would imagine. I've never even thought about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're revered that much, you know, how do you know?
Speaker 1: How do you how do you separate the two when you know that there's so much pressure because the person's looking at you, they can never really actually lose himself potentially completely the character.
Speaker 2: Because you're like, oh my god, what she thinking? Living up to it?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's very interesting. I think about that with quite a lot of people who are either supremely revered or supremely famous, or the double whammy of both, and that's a lot of energy coming at you. Like I remember there was that thing where Brad Pitt was at the Golden Globes and everyone was up there going, oh my god, remember that, freaking out that they were in front of him, And I thought, what's that like? If you're on the receiving end of that kind of energy all the time, that must be rough.
Speaker 1: When you say yes to a part and you're excited, do you ever wake up going like.
Speaker 3: Why would I do it? All the time? All the time? I mean constantly, I've riddled with self doubt leading up to it. The whole first week. I'm like, this is terrible. I'm terrible. You know, it's just that's fine. You kind of go with the flow with that. I've learned to kind of ride those times out, but most of the time now because I'm probably much more selective about what I choose to do and who I want to work with, Like, there's obviously people who will hit your life's too shortlist where you're like, oh god, never again, or no, that doesn't sound fun. But yes, I'm usually frozen with fear leading up to it and and then you get taken over by it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you have, so we talked about it earlier, so the next year you.
Speaker 2: Have a lot of stuff coming out. Yeah. Fog Guy with Ryan Gosling.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh my god, it was such I can't eat.
Speaker 1: To start with the Fog because Far Guy. I grew up watching The Fun Intelligence What drew you that? And working with Ryan who's so incredible.
Speaker 3: He's an incredible guy and such a talent. And I think, you know, I love David Leech's work, and he's just a He's caught this like pop culture kinetic visual stride that is just so exciting and rare, and it's really modern. I think I felt I hadn't done something contemporary for a little bit, and I've been I mean, I love I love a period drama. I'm like all about it. But I think I wanted to do something funny and big and sort of lights out really and I love that TV series too and the movie. When I signed on, they were still developing the script and I love that open armed thing of come into the fold, let's build this together. It was very open armed and very collaborative, and I think because Ryan is so free you know, he's so free spirited as an actor and is always trying to search for something more interesting in the scene. So it means the scenes have this completely singular life where you don't kind of know where the scene's going to go. And I loved it improv and he loves to improve, and so it was it was about every day was about this kind of chase and we would laugh saying on this movie it was like the escape from everything. We get out because the film is a really big idea and it's all about, you know, the stunt world and the fact that we were also celebrating stunt men who do not get enough accolades in this industry. The fact that there is no award at the Oscars for a stunt team is terrible when every other department, Mad Max doesn't happen without a stunt team, Like none of these big Best Picture nominally nominees, they don't happen without a stunt team.
Speaker 2: Never thought about that.
Speaker 3: They don't like the mission Impossible is the Top Guns, Like, where does that happen without your stunt team? And they put their lives at risk for all of us to kind of mosey in and do a couple of chops in the air and a punch and they make us look amazing while they're getting dragged across gravel and you do the close up on a green screen. I mean, it's like ridiculous.
Speaker 2: That's so true.
Speaker 3: And they just they literally put themselves out there every day. And Dave Leech, who was a stunt man and was one of their best stunt men in the industry. He stunt double Brad Pitt and Matt Damon and all those boys. And you know, he wanted to do all the stunts practically, which means without cgi and anything like that. And we were trying to break really big records in the stunt well for what we were able to do, and it was just thrilling. I loved it. It's so funny this movie. It's so romantic and so funny.
Speaker 1: So and you're so physical and so that's I can't wait to see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'll love it. You'll love it.
Speaker 2: Then Pain Hustlers.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, that's Netflix.
Speaker 2: Yes, talk to me about that.
Speaker 3: So that one. That's July, No, that's October. So Pain Hustlers was a project that came to me, which was sort of the first time I think I veered in to do something political, contemporary, hard hitting. It's really an exploration, I felt, deep down of the shadiness in all of us. And isn't that interesting to have a character at the center of it who is a good person but does some really fucked up things and gets she gets caught up in the intoxicating world of selling pharmaceuticals and knows it's corrupt, can't get out for a variety of reasons, some out of her control. And it's about accountability, it's about guilt, it's about all of these things, like what keeps you up at night when you're staring at the ceiling, questioning whether you're a good person or that. And I just thought that exploration of the shadiness in a character, and you don't often see it in a female character, because I feel strongly that most female characters in Hollywood are usually held up to some sort of feminine ideal. And I'm always hearing this, like is she likable? I'm I don't give a fuck if she's likable, you know, And no man is ever asked that, Like none of those guys in the Big Short or Wolf of Wall Street, where we're never concerned if they were likable and they were doing terrible corrupt things. So I really was inspired by this idea and very much supported by David Yates who directed it. It was real. We were sort of trying to build this case for a woman who does some bad things and how does she cope with that? And it's done in this very dynamic visual way the whole movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great, that's great that you should have look at it through that lens and you're sort of an advocate for how women are perceived perceived in your industry and like, is bullshit.
Speaker 3: It is bullshit, and how women are sort of perceived in society as well, and like the different rules that women are more held to than men, And so yeah, I just thought this intoxicating world of selling pharmaceuticals and this hard hitting, fast paced, corrupt world was an interesting exploration because it's very prominent right now. There are so there's so many deaths from opioid abuse and this has been completely put this a crisis is born out of natural events, and this is really the colossal crime behind the crisis, and that's through the pharmaceutical companies and the governments that support them completely.
Speaker 2: I just watched that documentary as Sacler documentary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is what it's based on. This is what the movie is based on.
Speaker 1: Welcome Back to Table for two. One of this summer's biggest films is Oppenheimer by famed director Christopher Nolan. Emily Star says Kitty j Robert Oppenheimer's wife, it's an unorthodox blockbuster, a movie with a message for humanity. Let's talk about Oppenheim. Okay, let's talk about Kitty. Let's talk about Nolan. Let's talk about that cast.
Speaker 2: What was that like it?
Speaker 3: That was a true master class like that you kind of run to work every day to just see what he's going to dream up Chris, because he is he's an extraordinary force. He is talk about someone who has an authority to them, and he's got his own intimidation factor that is there. But it's partly I mean to me, I didn't find him intimidating. I adored him. He's so English, he's most British person. He's like my family. So when he's happy with the take, he goes yeah, good, happy, yeah, and I'll go yeah, and he goes okay, good, moving on, moving okay, And to me, I'm like, dad, you know, yeah, So I loved it and the whole experience of working on it that yes, it's a biopic. But when I first read it at his house, you know, you go over to meet him, and I didn't care if it was a scene I would be wanting to do this movie. I didn't care. I just wanted to work with him. And I read it and I thought, yes, it's a biopic. But it was so emotional. It moved like this Chase thriller. And when you watch it, it grabs you by the throat in the beginning, and it's like a horror movie. It's like a horror movie. Trojan Horse is a biopic. I mean, it's just Killian Murphy, my dear friend, is so extraordinary, and he's absolutely mesmerizing and holds the whole thing together so delicately.
Speaker 2: Will you tell the people that pulled up a chair what?
Speaker 3: So the story is about? So the story is about Oppenheimer, who created the atomic bomb, and it follows his whole life story from a brilliant child physicist in college up until when he was enlisted to create the bomb. Bill Los Alamus and then goes into another time period when he was kind of dragged through the calls in his security hearing during the McCarthy era, where he was accused of communism because of his relationships with his wife who dabbled in communism who I play, his girlfriend who was a communist, his brother who was a communist. So it's just the rise and fall of a brilliant brain. The trauma of a brain like that of living with that kind of genius brain is depicted so visually and so frighteningly in the movie. It's about him, but it's about these themes of ambition and male ego during war and that pursuit of something that would change the world forever, the pursuit of something that's bigger than all of us, that will have ramifications for the rest of time. It's just it's really incredible. What is the restlessness in us that even hearing this could be potentially bad, that you could unleash something that would have a negative effect psychologically, emotionally on the earth, on us as humans, on the environment. Is what is the pursuit that still restlessly lives in us? You know, it's just terrifying when.
Speaker 1: You work in an ensemble like that and there's such brilliant actors.
Speaker 2: Yes, is it harder? Is it more uplifting for you? Like? How do you find your sort of place in that? Oh?
Speaker 3: It's so easy, you know, because there is simply one voice on set, and it will be Chris's. You know, there's no there's one lead dog and it's very clear, and we're all just there to to just try and deliver something to him.
Speaker 2: And when you have Matt.
Speaker 3: Matt Damon's in it, Killian Murphy's in it, Robert Downey Junior is in it, Florence Pugh's in it, like there's just wonderful people. Male Yeah, Romie Maleck's in it. I mean, Ksey Affleck said it. Just the list goes on and on and on of people. Kenneth Branna is in it. The people who showed up to do one day on this film and they raise their hands willingly and immediately for Chris. And then you know why, when you're on set, you go, that makes sense. Of course they do? They run?
Speaker 1: You know, you think so when we see this movie, I haven't obviously seen it without giving anything away, do you leave thinking hope?
Speaker 2: Do you leave thinking Wow, this was really bad.
Speaker 3: I think it's just the most thought provoking film. It will kidnap you and you're going to think about it for a long time afterwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like one of those.
Speaker 3: It's one of those. It's not a film, it's an experience. It's away try.
Speaker 1: You know when you guys did the A Quiet Place and and this is just funny. I don't know if this will actually read if you've pulled up a chair today, But like Eva and I, that movie was we just loved it. We watched it over the summer and we were like, in bed at night, it's scary as fox.
Speaker 2: And so then we played the game.
Speaker 1: So like we'd be like in the kitchen and like there's at my parents' house and there was a garbage but.
Speaker 2: You pull out from a drawer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'd be like okay now, and I'd be like I'm like, like I point like she had to throw it out, and she'd look at me and she'd knowing that the thing was about to go, and then I would just wave goodbye to her like that was like that's oh why that was really? Was that an unexpected sort of very success?
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean the first one was made for sixteen million dollars and we shot it in six weeks, and it was very pressured, and I think John was just trying to make an art movie. And of course when you do these sort of lower budget horror movies, the studios always talk about, you know, this is our model for like you know, and he said, well, I don't want to make a slasher movie I'm making. I want to make an art movie. And they're like, fine, you still have six weeks. So it's just it was pressured, and I thought the concept was so brilliant. It's so simple, right. I love ideas in movies where you can wrap your arms around it like that. Right, if you make noise, you die? Right? So simple? And how has no one died? It's so simple that you're like, how has no one done this? True? And then you're like, has anyone done this before? And no, they really haven't. So he fell in love with this specscript that he got sent. He pitched it to me. I said, you should direct. You've got a whole world that you're building in your head and you should do it. He was terrified to do it, but did it again? Support Sport, Yeah, come on, like you can do it, and of course he made a beautiful movie. I think as it goes with every director and even myself in the editing process in a film, I can't see a film anymore after you see fifteen cuts of it. I'm like, I don't know if it's good, Like I have no idea anymore, lose perspective. So I remember us driving to south By Southwest, which is this great film festival, very supportive sort of movie crowd. No one had seen the film, ten people had seen it, and he was bricking it, you know, in the car on the waves, just bricks left all around our Texas And I said, I think it's incredible. I don't know what anyone else will think, but I think it's incredible. He was like, couldn't even speak by catatonic was fear. And then it started to play in the movie theater, and it probably that moment will probably go down as one of the most unforgettable experiences, not just in my career but my life. And people stopped eating during it, and it was so silent it was it added to the trauma of the movie, as if people felt a part of trying to keep this family alive exactly it went deathly quiet, and then people started to laugh a bit, and John went, Oh my god, why they're laughing, And I said, because they're shitting it. They're so scared. And I remember when the film ended and my character cocks the big rifle and everything, and people jumped up like it was a Beatles concert. It was like they blew the doors off the place. And I instantly cried because it was just so beautiful and such a relief. And because of that film festival, and I will give south By all the credit for why the movie then went on to do so well. And as much as I have such an aversion to social media and don't do it, I saw the benefit of that because it just spread like quick fire. You gotta see this movie, got to see this, got to see this, gotta se this movie. And so by the time the film came out, it had some colossal opening weekend that we have never anticipated ever.
Speaker 2: It was truly captivating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a beautifulrifying, and your performance was great and John's and you get so scared.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I could talk to Emily all day, but sadly, all lunches must come to an end. And as we wind down, I wonder what's next if you sort of had to do a trajectory of the next piece of your professional life, which has been so rich, Emily, and you're so talented, were is there is there something like burning in you to sort of do or you just sort.
Speaker 2: Of like open.
Speaker 3: I continue to want to see things through more if they've come to me in their early stages and I've helped build them, and then you can release your baby out there to the world, see that something come to fruition that way that I would like to do much more of. I find it terrifying and exciting all at once, you know, I see more of that. I don't know about directing, because I've also seen what it does to them. It's so consuming, but I think at some point, yes, I would. I'd like to try that.
Speaker 2: You definitely should be cool. I mean, you're a baby, you are.
Speaker 1: This has been one of the most enjoyable launch I'm really honored.
Speaker 3: An amazing interview.
Speaker 2: I am. Yes, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's so natural and it's like butter it's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Exactly. But it's very easy.
Speaker 1: To sit with someone you love but you admire or you and whether I knew you before, like we do or no.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, and I hope that everyone enjoyed today. Thank you, it was wonderful.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for this highly Carl, I love you.
Speaker 2: Can deserve every car.
Speaker 3: We're going to get dessert now, all right, well, thank you for joining me today.
Speaker 1: I love you, I love you. Table for two with Bruce Bosi is produced by iHeart Radio seven three seven Park and Airmail. Our executive producers are Bruce Bosi and Nathan King. Table for two is researched and written by Bridget arsenalt. Our sound engineers are Paul Bowman and Alyssa Midcalf. Table for two's la production team is Danielle Romo and Lorraine Verrez. Our music supervisor is Randall poster. Our Ellent booking is by Jane Harkin. Special thanks to Amy Sugarman, Uni Cher, Kevin Yuvane, Bobby Bauer, Alison Kantor Graber, Jody Williams, Rita Sodi, and the team at Via Carota in Manhattan's West Village. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.