Speaker 1: Its lead fifteen to ten. Touched up sucks.
Speaker 2: What's up? Guys? Welcome into a mid July edition of Chargers Weekly, as always, joined by Matt money Smith counting down the days till we get to see you guys in jack Him at Sports Complex less than two weeks. Money, I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Man, most definitely. I'm very excited. We said it last week and we're a week closer. So July twenty sixth, day one, that's a Wednesday, July twenty ninth is the back Together Again celebration on Saturday. Of course, we get the joint practices being awful lot of fun with Derek Carr back out there, New Orleans Saints. The Saints fan's always come out. It's kind of been a bit of a I guess the last couple of years. It's it's shifted a little bit with the Cowboys and the forty nine ers, but it's always good to have the Saints back out there. Maybe Drew Brees come back up, hang out. Maybe we can get Philip Rivers to hop a plane and come back out and redo the quarterback competition those two guys used to have. When the joint practices.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be weird seeing Derek Carr actually at a training camp practice. No, I mean this was a fierce rival for several years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Joey and Derek and a joint practice should be quite entertaining. And I'm sure he'll have some sort of what he believes his deep thought about the prior rivalry and how he's moved on and he looks back fondly upon those engagements with the Chargers and something stupid like that. So I'm just looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: You're already transcribing the press.
Speaker 1: Competens seen it a mile away every time we come down to LA with his dumb accent. I have no idea where he got it from. Just so many Raider fans down here, they walk around town, you see him, they just tell you how much it means to them. It just means so much to me to mean so much to them, you know, And that's what this is all about.
Speaker 2: Shut up, that's what it's all about.
Speaker 1: Hey, he's already doing it in New Orleans too. That stuff. People are like, oh, he lives rent free in your head, No he doesn't. I just enjoyed it brings me joy to see the stupidity of his quotes as he tries to assess the state of fandom surrounding the team for which he plays.
Speaker 2: Well, we're gonna do the podcast live. I mean, what if we got him to sit down with us?
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know the last time he did an interview with us on Petro some Money, he got really upset. I felt bad because the agent called Tim Kates and kind of got after Kate's our producer a little bit because I asked him about throwing the ball away on fourth down. It's like, I got to ask you throwing the ball away on fourth down twice? How does that happen? And he got really upset. I don't remember the plays you're talking about. I was like, well I do. I can go through him if you want, And he got really pissed. So yeah, I'm happy to have him to sit down. I have no problem with it whatsoever.
Speaker 2: We'll see if we can arrange it.
Speaker 1: I'll make it uncomfortable for you, Chris. I'll make it real uncomfortable for you. I enjoy it. There's nothing I like better.
Speaker 2: You know, you know it would be great is if you're you're literally get your notepad out alongside Popper and Miller and Lindsay and and and you and you're just documenting each incompletion, and then we have a little chat out towards about it.
Speaker 1: Let's go through these. Walk me throwing the ball away on fourth down? You got a fourth and goal and you throw it into the dirt. Kind of walk me through that process. Of course, meanwhile, I would take a snap and just immediately throw the ball into the ground and run the opposite way. For fear or death. What was coming in my direction when those guys are coming at me.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, the Derek Carr conversations that I segue into the division and that's what we're gonna dig in today. On It's for Chargers fans. You know, you're not gonna like some of these stats, but I think if you, if you look at the silver lining of what's happened over the last few years. But justin Herbert, especially justin Herbert versus Patrick Mahomes, I think they're a little bit closer to the Chiefs than you may realize. The Chiefs obviously will really dive into them, but money, it's the other teams in the division. I want to start with the Broncos and the Raiders since two The Chargers haven't won the division in thirteen seasons. They have won the division since two thousand and nine. So I looked at just their records against both the Broncos and the Raiders over that time. They're thirteen and thirteen against the Raiders. They're ten and sixteen against the Broncos. They're nine and seventeen against the Chiefs. We'll get into that later, but the Raiders and Broncos teams, they've had better teams too in seasons where they've kind of stubbed their toe in Denver or in Vegas or the Raiders coming to Los Angeles. And that's the kind of the first step. And if you ever want to win this division, yes, the Chiefs, but you can't stub your toe against teams you're better than. And it really starts Week four against the Raiders in your place. And I guess we can begin with the Raiders. What they did last year with Josh McDaniels in his first year, what they've brought on obviously, Jimmy Garoppolo in Derek carr out, they brought in Jacoby Myers, they got another edge rusher to put it on the other side. Of Max Crosby. I still think they're the fourth best team in the division as we see here today. But the Chargers and Raiders, like I said, thirteen and thirteen is probably what you expect over the last thirteen seasons.
Speaker 1: It's you said it best stub their toe. They're better teams. They've been the better team in the matchups with the Raiders and the Broncos. Now. Granted that the Broncos defense was an absolute juggernaut last year, and I think it proved that's why those games were so boring and why so many people complained about watching the Broncos in primetime over and over again, because their defense was so good to shut down the opponent and their offense was so bad that they didn't score any points either. So it just became this very not strange, but just this tight game that had very little points because their offense was an e f but their defense was exceptional. So it's understandable the split with the Broncos because the defense has been that good when it was Von Miller and Bradley Chubb, and you think about the no fly zone that was still sort of there for a little bit with that back end, and how good it was, and how good they've been. And look, this is this is an exercise in observing how teams choose to construct themselves through the draft. The Broncos have repeatedly invested in their secondary, repeatedly invested in their defensive line, so it's understandable that it's going to be a really good unit. And of course they've hit the jackpot on a couple of those later round picks. You know, just the pairing of Jackson and Simmons has been the best safety duo in the league for probably the last five years. So when you've got all that, it's understandable you're going to be in tight games and then it comes down to who's going to execute in the final seven and a half minutes of the fourth quarter and get out of here with a victory. And even you just go back to last year, you think about that win at so Far and it was a pretty gnarly game. The Chargers were down sixteen to thirteen in that fourth quarter, had to get that game time field goal, and of course we know it was a back and forth affair and overtime until you had the great rookie you play from Dean Leonard and Josser Taylor to get the turnover in the Dustin Hopkins field goal to get the win. But like we're if we're starting, are we starting with the Broncos? Are we starting with the Raiders? We're starting with the Raiders. Sorry, Raiders. So I've gone down that whole thing, so just put a pin in that. I don't know how I got there, my great apologies, But with the Raiders, the one thing that stood out to me looking at the games last year, and I don't want to go too far back, just because it's a new coaching regime, it's new players, a new quarterback, you know what I mean. So if we just look at last year, the Chargers couldn't run the ball, and that was the case in a lot of the games. But you go to each of these games against the Raiders. In the one they won where they were up ten going into the fourth quarter, like there, Austin Eckler ran fourteen times for thirty six yards. As a team, they ran thirty one times for seventy six yards, and like that's that's how you go up fourteen and you find yourself in a bit of a tight game in the fourth quarter because you can't run the ball. And then Chris, you go to the second one and it's the same thing. You know, the Chargers could not run the ball. It's Austin Eckler ten carries for thirty five yards and as a team twenty two for seventy two, while the Raiders go twenty nine for one point fifty four. Josh Jacobs goes crazy for one forty four and a tug and they lose twenty seven to twenty. Like against the Raiders, they gotta be able to run a ball. That's that's what has to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, I go to that game in Vegas. They started it with a pick six for Bryce Callahan, so they scored on defense to start the game. They couldn't stop Josh Jacobs. They couldn't stop Devonte Adams. I think there was a flea flicker in that game. He had two touchdowns, one for forty five yards the other one for thirty one yards. And you know, the offense couldn't score period like Keenan Allen scored in the fourth quarter. So you know, these are the games that I see and I'm like, man, this team is so freaking talented. You can't lose those games. You can't lose. You know, if we're kind of gonna build like the path to winning the AFC West, especially this year against this Raiders team, you know, we should kind of look forward a little bit. Because Jimmy Garoppolo is now the quarterback. I think his health has been in question. There's been some talk about his foot and if he's gonna be ready. I mean, they don't really have much of a backup option. They got a rookie and they got Brian Hoyer, so they're really putting all the chips in the middle of the table for Jimmy Garoppolo. No Darren Waller this year, you bring in Michael Maher who we talked about during the draft. We'd like a lot, but Darren Waller. Yeah, Hey Darren Waller.
Speaker 1: So that's that's a win because now you can cut Drwin loose. Before Derwin would treat Darren Waller a lot like Travis Kelcey, where it was, hey, hey, let's just let's let's eliminate this problem. Let's put Drwin on Darren and eliminate that and then let's figure the rest out. That was sort of Brandon Staley's approaching. It would work, you know, Darren Waller did not have very good games when Derwin was out there. Remember Darren Waller wasn't out there last year, and then we saw Derwin on Devonte Adams a little bit in that week one, and and so when you have when you don't have to worry about that, that's going to be a big win for the Chargers defense and being able to use Derwin all over the place now as opposed to just locking up for the most part, Waller, it's it's week four, you mentioned it, so I think Josh Jacobs should be back by then, but it's sounds like he is. He is not. Look, he is not gonna play. That's kind of what at least his camp is intimating right now is he does not want to play on the franchise tag that it appears as though the Raiders are not interested in him long term as they continue their roster turnover with this new regime. And I don't blame him. I mean, look, it's ten million bucks. It's kind of hard to walk away from that. But because he hasn't signed it yet.
Speaker 2: Does he not trading?
Speaker 1: He doesn't get traded. I don't know if you would have it would be a very unique situation. You know, you're not trading to pay a guy ten million bucks for one year of service because you're probably not signing a long term either, you know, for what he's looking for. So it's it's just one of those. Is there a team that feels like they're running back away and they've got some cap space, so they'll give him ten million bucks? But I don't see that, So that's that's what's got I don't I don't know what to make of this Raider team. I liked their draft. I obviously we love Max Crosby. We know what he does every time the Chargers face him. I mean, he is a wrecking machine and be nice to have her Shaun Slater back out there to help with that issue. But I don't like. I don't quite know as I'm looking at their You bring in Jakobe Myers, but you get rid of of Darren Waller. It's just Hunter renfro still a great third down receiver. They did nothing on the offensive line. Like I said, I like Michael Mayer, I love Tyree Wilson. The idea of him opposite Max Crosby could be a real headache. He's a hell of a pass Rusher, even though he went to Texas Tech, where they don't believe in defense. But like that's you know, I like those movies. I just they didn't. That's the other thing, Chris, Like you think back to the first game and how dominant they were against what's a pretty leaky offensive line, not a great offensive line, and then you go to that game they lost in Las Vegas and they they didn't get anything going like they could now there was no Joey Bosa, but still like Khalil Mack had three sacks in that first game, and then you go to the you go to that second game and there's no sacks. Derek Carr throws for two fifty You mentioned the flea flicker, a couple of touchdowns, and we threw the pick six to Callahan. So there's hurries and there's hits and stuff like that. And we know Derek Carr gets all flustered in the pocket and starts acting crazy when there's pressure. But at the same it was just a very strange. That game was very strange. And it goes back to that Week eighteen game two years ago and just how strange that game was that they just couldn't because like in that game. I'm looking at the box score right now. Herbert throws for three hundred and thirty five yards and a touchdown, but he gets sacked five times. Like there was just it was really hard to connect sort of why it was such a disjointed, strange game that they ended up losing. And remember after that, I remember walking out of Las Vegas going, man, that might be the one that that might be the game that prevents them from making the playoffs. They dropped the six and six. It was. That was a rough one. So you're right, those the way these teams are, particularly the Raiders, look as though they are continuing to kind of recycle and I don't know what they are. That's that's a team they need to sweep this year. That's a team they need to sweep in the division.
Speaker 2: Justin got beat up that game. Man, You're right, he was sacked five times. I remember, I remember after that game talking to some of the guys, and I know that I think it may have been Joshua Kelly specifically. He said, we got to take better care of our quarterback. We got to take better care of our quarterback. And you mentioned Rashaun Slater, Joey Bose and Mishawn said, we're not in that football game. Those guys make a big difference. The Raiders to me seem to They just hang around. And again this is this is a part of being in a division, right. The worst teams in a division see you twice a year. They know your tendencies, they know what you're all about. Those games are pretty close. But if the charts want to get over the hump, right week four, it starts there because four of your last five games are AFC West games, so you almost have like a money You almost have like a ten or eleven game like season to prepare for winning the division. But Week four is it comes pretty early, after some pretty tough tests early against Miami and Tennessee in Minnesota. But I think it'd be good. Get that Kellen Moore offense rolling a little bit in those first three games, and then see the Vegas Raiders week four and hopefully take care of business.
Speaker 1: Yeah they're worth two. You know they're worth two, and I knew it. Sorry, I was distracted and looking at my computer. You were talking about taking better care of Herbert in that game. There was no Trey Pipkins, so you had Foster Serril Surrell at the tackle and you're talking about six pressures, four hurries, a hit and a sack that he allowed. Saw youre obviously had to contend with Max Crosby. He's got five pressures, three hurries, a hit and a sack. Matt Feiler, who had we talked about it, just a rough year all around. I was watching it some of the I was watching some rushing. I was actually doing quite a bit of film over the course of the week. And man, I'll tell you that the slide from Matt Feiler from two years ago to last year was was pretty dramatic. And you just watched that side and there's a real we say it, there's a reason why you can't run the ball. It's not just because Austin ecklerg or Joshua Kelly can't run. I mean, they were just guys. They were turnstiles. They were in the backfield like it was nothing. And you watched the Jacksonville game, the second half of the Jacksonville game, and every single time they tried to run the ball, there's just nothing doing. It didn't matter if they had seven guys at the line of scrimmage A four they were just in the backfield, immediately shutting that thing down. But just kind of to your point about you know the division games there worth two. You know they're worth two. Those because the easiest way to punch your ticket to the tournaments to win the division. So and that's your number one tiebreaker. If you end up with the same record as the Chiefs and you split with them in the regular season, well then the next thing that comes up is what's your record in the division, So better sweep. You know, if you can sweep both the Raiders and the Broncos, that then gives you that tiebreaker over the Chiefs. And that's something to think about if you're able to split with them and it comes down to both of you being eleven and six or ten and seven, or twelve and five, whatever it may be.
Speaker 2: You know, the one thing about the Raiders will say is, you know, the games aren't played on paper. I would say on paper right now, I would probably peg them as the fourth team in the AFC West. Yeah, but they pack a pass rush. They pack a pass rush, and if I'm not mistaken, I think Channel and Jones came alive that game against the Chargers, and he was pretty quiet for a majority of the year, but he came alive, certainly against the Chargers. He had Wilson, Yeah, I know, but still like, just like this, this this trio of Wilson, Crosby and Jones down. Did you watch the any of that quarterback documentary yet?
Speaker 1: I haven't watched it yet, so I need to.
Speaker 2: I watched the first I watched the first episode last night and Max Crosby was freaking all over Patrick Mahomes and I think it was after a play. I think the whistlemaye blew and he like punched Mahomes and Mahomes was like, bro, that's too far. You went too far. And then there were the Chiefs for down seventeen to nothing. Mahomes scores a touchdown, gets in Crosby's face, and then Crosby just freaking b lines it it at Mahomes bangs his helmet and says, you woke up the wrong m ephor. You woke up the wrong m ephor. And he said like five times in a row. I'm like, dude, that guy's scary man, and it's crazy out there. I'll never forget that Week eighteen game. Man, he single handedly wrecked the game and ruined the Chargers' chances the postseason completely.
Speaker 1: He's he's in the conversation as the best pass rusher in the league. He's in that conversation. He is incredible. And that's that's why the development of Trey McKitty as a blocking tight end. Donald parm is a blocking tight end, you know, is in his ability to block is gonna be so important because if if you feel good about putting Slater on that island and the Raiders just decide. You know, Patrick Graham, who we know what he was able to do with that Giants defense, you know, with he when he's coming over and trying to do some things. Now with extra weapons, with Chandler Jones who had a bad year last year but came alive in that second game against the Chargers. Now with Tyree Wilson, you're gonna have tight end help on that other side, you know with Trey, So if you can do that now you can double max if he wants to be on that side, and if he's on the side with Shawn, well, now you've got two of the best at what they do just going at it, and you're probably gonna see each of them win their fair share of those battles. That's how you you gotta neutralize it. You can make it, you can make I don't think there's any question you can make a case when you look at each of the offensive lines that the Chargers have the best offensive line in the division. I think I'd feel very I'd feel comfortable saying that. I know some the interior of the of the Chiefs with with Trey and Creed Humphrey has been really good. But I think you talk about, you know, a left tackle, and not that I ever thought that highly of Orlando Brown and my gosh, Joey would eat his lunch every time they played each other. But remember they're gonna have to go with Donovan Smith now, who's like sixty at left tackle, so you know, with he and But but when you talk about that Smith, Touney Humphrey interior, it's a really good interior line. So you got to take advantage of those tackles. Not a big Juwan Taylor guy. So that's you know what we're gonna be looking at against the Chiefs. And now I'm just swerving all over the place. We were talking about the Raiders.
Speaker 2: No before, just to put a pin in the right Jerry Tillery is still there. DeAndre Carter has made his way to Vegas and is going to be doing the same thing he was doing for the Chargers. Last question, given your affinity for Derek Carr, do you see Jimmy Garoppolo as an upgrade? Clearly, Josh McDaniels didn't think Derek Carr could run his offense the way he wanted it. He knows Jimmy Garoppolo. You could say whatever you want about Jimmy g I know he's injury prone, but been to a couple of NFC championships and had a lead in the fourth quarter of a Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: I think everything that we had heard from people in Las Vegas and Oakland is just something that Josh McDaniels decided he didn't want to live with anymore. And that's the mistakes late game execution, inability to stand in the pocket long enough to let place develop and deliver the ball downfield. He was a lot better with that two years ago. He kind of had taken a bit of a step and then regressed last year. So I think there's just frustrating things about Carr. He's a good quarterback. He's a good quarterback. He's an accurate quarterback. He throws a nice ball, he's got decent arm strength, he's got good mobility. I think it's the thing about Derek is you can't point to the stats. You have to watch the games to see when these plays appear over and over again in the red zone, interceptions in the red zone, just missing receivers in the red zone, in the field shrinks and pressure is on you a little bit quicker. Late game mistakes, the fumbles when you're fleeing the pocket way too early. I think it's things like that that frustrated John Gruden. And you heard about how he was constantly looking for another quarterback, which is funny that he's in New Orleans trying to coach him up. Now. I know that's an interesting one, but so I think eliminating that you probably take a step back and skill level with Garoppolo, but perhaps you just feel better about eliminating all of those things that were frustrating in one score losses, in games that you had the lead in the fourth quarter and ended up losing. I think that just finally caught up to Derek Carr and his relationship with Josh McDaniels, and they chose to go, you know, with Garoppolo. So I don't think is he better, is he worth? He's just different. I think they're I think they're comparable and how you feel about them quarterbacking your team, and they're just different.
Speaker 2: The Josh Jacobs situation is certainly one to monitor because he was the best running back in football last year and if they don't have him at the beginning of the year, especially or if you know, Jimmy G's not healthy, I mean, that's a completely different looking offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have a you know, they they they don't have a lot of death. It's a team that does not have a lot of depth. Their secondary is still a huge issue and their offensive line is still a huge issue. And those are two very very important position groups when it comes to winning football games. So I think you're right saying on paper, looks like they're the fourth best team in the division. And you'd hope the Chargers can sweep that that two game series Week four and Week fifteen on Thursday Night.
Speaker 2: So let's move to the Broncos. And you talked about them a little bit at the beginning Week fourteen and Week seventeen. This year, They're not going to see Sean Payton's group until late late late in the year, so we'll know exactly know what they are, right, we'll know exactly who they are. The Broncos, I think they got better simply because of their head coach. Their defensive coordinator is new Vance Joseph. We saw Vance Joseph with the Cardinals last year where the Chargers beat them late in that game. You mentioned it. Their defense is really really good. I thought Russell Wilson maybe had his best game of the season against the Chargers in Week eighteen. It was a weird game for the Chargers. They were in The defense was playing pretty well going into that game. But you know what, I almost give the team a mulligan there because of the just weird situation when you have a playoff spot locked in and you know guys are coming in and out, but their offense is gonna be better money, it'll be better to what extent? How much better is it going to be incrementally better? Is it going to be leaps and bounds better. We'll see what kind of magic Sean Payton can work, coupled with how easy Russell Wilson is gonna make it on Sean Payton in terms of doing what he wants Russell to do. They have weapons up and down. You know, Javonte Williams at the running back position coming back from an ACL injury. You hear rumors about them maybe in the mix for Dalvin Cook if Williams isn't quite ready for Week one. They they upgraded their offensive line led by Mike mclinchey. So this is gonna be a decent team. And I think the Chargers are gonna have to be ready for those those matchups because I think they're both going to mean something late in December and January.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I said, we'll know what they are by then. We know the defense is is dominant. It's it's all. I mean, even though they traded Bradley Chubb, they still have you know, we have We didn't see Randy Gregory last year. He was he was injured or out for most of the seasons. So he's coming back. I like Zach Allen a lot. I thought he was one of the more underrated edge players out there, just because he was kind of performing in anonymity out there in Arizona. So and the secondary, you know, it's just it's it's pat certain how good he is cannot be put into words.
Speaker 2: He's a show Adams that right, Yes, I saw the quote. He said, Uh, he's just not ready yet. He's not ready yet. Yeah, but he is, he's ready. Maybe just maybe not for Davante.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's fine, He's and you know, and then that safety Tan and we talked about a Kareem Jackson and Justin Simmons. It's it's the best safety tandem in football. So now you're dealing with that. You've got a lockdown corner. You've got, you know, Kareem Jackson and Justin Simmons on the back end, and you've got a decent pass rush up front. Their linebackers leave you, you know, wanting a little bit. You know, Josie Jewel and al Baron Browning play pretty well against the Chargers, seems like every time they tangle. But you're right, it's going to come. There's a reason why they hired Sean Payton. There's a reason why they let go Vic Fangio. They had the most dominant defense in the league year in and year out, or at least in the conversation as such, and they decided to let him go because the offense just could not catch up. And now they bring in a guy who's considered one of the better and brightest offensive minds in the last twenty years in the NFL to fix an offense. It's got a lot of talent. You know, Russell Wilson looked like he was carrying about ten to fifteen pounds too much last year, and it looks like he shed that extra weight. We know how dangerous he is when he's running around, and he just really didn't do that last year until Week eighteen when he played the Chargers, and all of a sudden, Russells running around and you're like, yeah, this is this is what we remember. This is what took him to two Super Bowls and one one, Like we remember this now this makes sense. So we know the pass catchers are good. Their first round picks or high second round picks. They've kind of got that basketball team of big body outside receiver Sutton, technical route runner Jerry Judy and you know, super quick kJ Hamler, Tim Patrick, like you've got you kind of got everything in there. So and we saw Dulcich he had a huge game against the Chargers that second game. He's gonna be good. So yeah, Javan and by the way, when you don't play him until week fourteen, yeah, well guess what, Javonte William's gonna be healthy by then. And he is a hammer, an absolute hammer. So this is a really, really good team. I will not be surprised in the least to see them bounce back and make a run. And I think that's something to remember. All the people that were talking about the juggernaut that was the AFC West last year certainly didn't turn out that way. But remember why you said that and what it was that you that led you to that that idea. That's the Broncos this year, they're still that team. They are still that team, and they got one of the best coaches in the league.
Speaker 2: Now, they didn't have a first round pick, but they did get Marvin Mims. You mentioned all those playmakers. Add him to the mix now too, Yeah Mims. So basically Mims and Patrick basically knew me.
Speaker 1: They probably don't even want to see him. You got Patrick Hamler, Sutton Judy. I mean, how about that for a top four? So yeah, and again they're I won't be surprised if they want to run the hell out of the ball. If he's like you, know what, it really worked pretty well for Pete up in Seattle. They won a lot of games and won a Super Bowl. And Broncos have a Marshall, you know, a Marshawn Lynch tight back that does not go down on first contact and gets stronger as the game goes on and can really be a weapon in the fourth quarter. I would not be surprised if, like you said, Chris, they go after Dalvin Cook and they really tried to build this thing around the run and play action and take your shots here and there. It's not on your shoulders, you know, Russell Wilson, we don't care how much money you're making. Let's just go in games and you make plays when you have to.
Speaker 2: I think last year, too, was an example of just how important structure is within an organization. We weren't in the building, but by all indications, Russell was kind of running everything right. He had his own office and it was you know, he's he's the CEO of the of the offense essentially, and that doesn't work. That doesn't work. That's why Sean Payton's gonna come in. And I think just by that, it's just that one simple subtraction of Nathaniel Hackett to Sean Payton is going to make this team a professional outfit again and they're going to be a force to be reckoned with. I think so the charge players and they got players. Yeah, they got guys. That leads us to the Chiefs money. I want to rat off a few of these stats. Patrick Mahomes is twenty seven to three against the AFC West. He's never lost a road game in the AFC West. The only teams that have I think they lost to the Raiders and then they lost to the Chargers twice barely one. Patrick, Yeah, Yeah, Patrick Mahomes is rarefied air right now. The one thing that Chargers fans should look forward to is the fact that Justin Herbert has had a fourth quarter lead in every single game against Patrick Mahomes. They haven't finished. That's not only Herbert that's on the team, that's on the defense, but they have been in every single game that they've played against Patrick Mahomes. Justin Herbert. Third and fourth quarter scoring is going to be I think the biggest thing in terms of just getting over the hump with the Chiefs, especially in that fourth quarter, because we've seen a way too many times where the Chiefs have something in the fourth quarter for the Chargers, Chargers don't have enough gas. We talked a lot about Kellen Moore last last week, and I just looked at the third quarter and fourth quarter scoring of the Cowboys versus the Chargers. Again, personnel Dallas is different, but Kellen was calling the place. Fourth quarter scoring last year Dallas was number three in the NFL seven point seven the Chargers twenty five, five point one third quarter scoring Dallas number five in the NFL six point one points per game. The Chargers twenty ninth two point nine points per game. Only Tampa Denver last year we just talked about in Pittsburgh were worse. So again, just the addition of Kellen Moore, you hope, is enough to at least put the Chargers in the conversation to win the AFC West for the first time since two thousand and nine. It's gonna take a herculean effort to dethrone the Chiefs. I realized that I think they've won the division seven straight seasons, but they've been so close, man. And if they're healthy, and if they have an offense that can stain points in the second half of games in a defense that can get a stop. Maybe we're talking about Chargers winning the AFC West for the first time in thirteen seasons.
Speaker 1: Well, like we said that, this goes back a couple weeks when we talked about Brandon Staley's defense when we had Lindsay and Jeff Miller on and we talked about how you go into these games and you feel like Staley's got a really good game plan in the first half. And you think about that Week two matchup in Kansas City with all the interceptions again that should have been interceptions and the ability to maybe go up big and they just weren't able to cash those in. But then I look at the game, it's so far that really could have changed things. You know, the Chargers win that, they improved the six and four, the Chiefs slipped to seven and three. Now you've split the season series and you're back in this mix. Instead, they start the second half up twenty to thirteen. They had to settle for a field goal, remember at the end of the half, because and they were knocking on the door. It was like a third and one and they couldn't punch it in from the goal from from again it was like the two or something like that. They had to kick the field goal, which again that goes back to the what happened to the aggressive mentality. It's the Chiefs. You got to score touchdowns, not field goal anyway. So they're up twenty to thirteen. Started the second half, they punt, the Chiefs get a field goal. Second possession, three and out, they punt, Chiefs get a touchdown, and now all of a sudden, you're down twenty three to twenty and the next possession they fumble. And it's just that that's how you lose games to the Chiefs. You cannot make mistakes. You just can't. And last year felt like the year. Looking at it, you're like, all right, look at this defense. They've got all these young guys. They've reset their secondary. They're playing rookies at corner and safety, and you know Jalen Watson and Trent McDuffie are out there and this is the time to go get him, and they weren't able to cash that in. Now those guys are a year older, they're Super Bowl champions. They've certainly got a ton of confidence. They've been able to reset on these cheaper contracts, and we know, like you said, you've got to close out. You know, the defense has got to come up big. It's hard. It's hard to do that. Again, someone who's going to be in the conversation is the greatest quarterback in the history of this game. It is very hard. So when he extends those plays, man, things get tough. So and it's interesting. I went back and looked at the advanced metrics and the quarterback hurries and the win rate, Like Joey Bosa's win rate in the two games against the Chiefs, it's like thirty five percent. I mean, he just ate Orlando Brown's lunch in those games. But and then you'll see, oh, when he had three pressures and three quarterback hits, and then you go look at the pressures and the hits and it's like, yeah, he's there, he hit him. But Mahomes is throwing a dump off pass to Travis Kelce because he had that extra second for those guys to just get on that same wavelength and break your heart. And that's I can't even imagine what it's like as a defender to feel like, man, I am busting this guy up and I'm running in place, and they're scoring thirty points and we got as a team. You know, twelve hurries, eight quarterback hits, two sacks and they're putting up thirty and that's just that's the Chiefs is the one where you said it. Kellen Moore, who was able to devise different game plans week in and week out with the Cowboys depending on his opponent, did a really good job of This week, we're leaning on Zeke and Toni Pollard. Next week we're leaning on Ceedee Lamb and Dak Prescott, Like that's where he's gonna make his bones. What's your game plan for the Chiefs? Can you not start the second half punt fumble and go from leading by seven to trailing by three?
Speaker 2: Money December sixteenth, twenty twenty one. This is the game that I really thought that this conversation would be in the rear view and the Chargers would actually win the division. They had already beaten the Chiefs earlier in the year in Arrowhead SOFI Stadium Thursday Night Football. They're up at the half, they lose in overtime thirty four to twenty eight. Had they won that game, they would have had the season sweep over the Kansas City Chiefs. The records would have been tied, and the Chargers had games against the Houston Texans, the Broncos, who are not good that year, and then that Raiders game. It was a COVID year. It was all wacky. We know what happened in Houston that following week, but I almost feel like the deflation of that loss had some carryover as well. The Charges were this close to winning the AFC West in twenty twenty one. I don't know if people fully realize it. They would have had the season sweep over the Chiefs after a Thursday night football game. They would have had extra rest, tons of motivation to go to Houston despite having a bunch of guys out with COVID in finishing the season as AFC West champions. The closest they got was twenty eighteen when Anthony Lynn was the head coach. They're twelve and four, and you know the Chiefs is a tiebreaker over them, But just think about that, Brandon Staley's first year, they were this close. They were this close to the vision. You know, they played well, and they always play the Chiefs well. Well is not good enough? Right right close is not good enough. But justin Herbert and you're four a healthy roster. I don't put it out of the realm of possibilities. I'll put it that way. The Chiefs have dominated a division like nobody's business right now. You look around the entire NFL, there's nobody close in terms of domination Andy Reid and Patrick Homes. When you don't lose road games in the division, you're dominating, You're doing things that nobody's ever done in the NFL. That's what the Charges are up against each and every year. But they're so freaking close, man, Like, That's why I think you have to be you have to be encouraged by how Justin Herbert has played against Patrick Mahomes and how the Chiefs and Chargers have played really over the last several years, even dating back to Philip Rivers, every game comes down to the wire. The Charges have just not been on the right end.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm hopeful. I know a lot of people pointed to the Week eighteen game against the Chiefs and how that's when you want it. It's a bonus because the Chiefs wrap up the division seemingly every year by Week fifteen or something, so you get a break and maybe that's just a win because Mahomes isn't going to play. I hope that's not the case. I hope that's for the division. That's what the NFL is hoping that that's your Sunday night football game in primetime or the Saturday night game in primetime that everyone's going to tune into, and it's going to be for the division. Week seven is hit October twenty second. They catch a break. Every single season, it feels like the Chargers have been sent to Kansas City on a short week or in prime time and dealing with one of the most hostile environments that's now magnified because it's a primetime game or it's a late game and people have been getting all lubed up in that parking lot, which is probably the best tailgate in all of the NFL, and it's just a it's a cauldron of anger and vitriol that you have to try to navigate along with playing the most dominant team in football the last five years. So I'm happy that it's just a standard Sunday afternoon game October twenty second at Arrowhead. We have not had one of those, it feels like in a long time against the Chiefs, but damn money.
Speaker 2: The only problem with that is that it is a short week because they played Monday night football against the Cowboys, so they it's standard. But again you still the little list of breaks the Chargers can't catch against the Cheeks.
Speaker 1: It's true. Now, it's a fair point. It's a fair point. It's a shorter week. However, that well not even However, the one thing that I'm hopeful is that j C. Jackson is who we think he is, and he's healthy and he's found his rhythm. Because now when you have three corners, however they want to divvy it up wherever they may go with Sante and Mikey Davis and j C. Jackson. If you can just get that extra beat, let's turn those hits and hurries into sacks because it's not open because Patrick Mahlmes can't find that extra guy. Because you've got three viable, legitimate, potentially Pro Bowl cornerbacks out there that are able to give your defensive front, Morgan Fox and Joey and Khalil that just that split second that they need to turn hits to sacks. Look, they got to him man in Week two. They were all over him in that first quarter. Like I said, there were interceptions. There should have been interceptions. There were BS penalties that nullified interceptions. And they had it. Staley had the game plan laid out, the players executed it, and they deserved the better fate than they had. Rush into the line on a first and goal from the three was just in it. It drove me crazy all last season, the hurry up. I could chart all of the hurry if I had the time to go through it. I could chart all the hurry up plays that Joe Lombardi tried to run, and I would put their success rates somewhere around one percent. And that was the worst of the bunch, hurrying to a first and goal from the three and throwing a pick six in that Week two game and completely flipping that game on its head after you had dominated completely up until that point. So there's it sounds like a lot of you know, peeing and moan and what ifs, But I think it's because they are so close and it's just so hard to get over that hump, especially when it's such a small hump. It feels like the way these two teams play each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chargers fans have lived it, you know, they know all about this. Rivalry. They know all about the heydays of Rivers and LT and when they were winning the AFC West, and it seems like it's long overdue for that to come back around. Maybe twenty twenty three is that year, Sope. So yeah, well, we'll be at camp in a couple of weeks. Next week we will dive into training camp, preview, everything you need to know, position battles, guys to watch as we get ready for another season to Chargers football. And then money'll be We'll be at Jack Hammond. Hopefully we can get some players to sit down with us like we did last year.
Speaker 1: It'll be fun, absolutely every week.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, yep, let's do it all right for money? I'm Chris. This has been Chargers Weekly. Thanks was
Speaker 1: Stret