Speaker 1: Lute forms. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to Software Radio, Special Operations, Military Nails, and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 3: This is rad and welcome to another awesome episode of soft Rep Radio. First and foremost, before I introduce my two guests, I want to talk to you about my merch store. All right, our merch store, the merch store, Go check out soft rep dot com. Hit up the merch store, go prick, pick up a mug or some of the cool shirts that these guys have been building and putting together for you to wear and support us. That's what keeps our lights on. That's what keeps the fireplace on. Yeah, it's not a real fireplace, but it is a real fireplace.
Speaker 2: But listen, we appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Also, we have a book club at soft rep and at soft rep dot com sport Slash Book hyphen Club.
Speaker 2: Go check it out.
Speaker 3: We're putting books in there all the time that you should read that are entertaining, like Steal Fear, one of Brandon Webb's books. I think in the Blood, the Quick Clock creator is going to be in that. And then we work with all of our people that come on to have books to try to get them in as well. But today I have Tribe Task Purpose Founders and leadership with us today to talk about veteran awareness within yourself. And today I have Joshua Reddick and I have Mike Peyton. Mike is former Navy seal and josh is a US Army twenty three year veteran. And let him introduce himself and Mike. Let's go with Mike first. Mike, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Hey, what's up really? How you doing?
Speaker 2: Hey? Welcome back? Welcome back? So maybe Seals?
Speaker 4: Which rabbit hole would you like to go down?
Speaker 2: So? Which what did you do?
Speaker 5: Almost twenty two years and the seal teams are retired in December of twenty one, I spent time. I started with teammate, then went over to dev group for a minute, and then went over to group level and retired out of group two. So or at the group level, and yeah, I mean in my career, I was a lead breacher. I went into the Intel arena, I was a team leader like through Iraq and O eight and then put on chief in the Intel space and retired as a senior chief.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so Senior Chief petty officer, is that correct with the navy?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: As a lead breacher, and my understanding is that the guy that has like maybe bolt cutters on his back and like maybe a shotgun that can blow off the door hinges. Possibly the guy on the front with like a rake or what. Tell me what a lead breacher do.
Speaker 5: We have everybody else caring the tools and we just we tell them what to do with the tools.
Speaker 4: But I mean we carry like primary.
Speaker 5: Explosives, secondary charges in the shotgun and like that. Those are our modalities, are our weapons that we utilize for breach points. So yeah, I mean we'll go up and do if the team lead says, let's do explosive breach or let's do a mechanical exothermic or shotgun ballistic breach, then you know, we'll determine which one and preferably like you do that prior to in the mission planning, you come up with that, and the lead breacher has ultimate authority on the primary entry points. So if he's like, Nope, we're switching to explosive, or no, we're not doing explosive, We're going exothermic or whatever like that, lead breacher will have the decision making process.
Speaker 2: There is exotherma. I'm not saying that thermid it's kind of like it's.
Speaker 5: Like a torch or yeah, you could go thermite if you have to burn through steel or something like that.
Speaker 4: And uh yeah.
Speaker 5: So lead breacher's responsibility is to get through an entry way in the shortest amount of time possible. So it could be concrete, reinforced concrete, it could be two inch steel, aluminum, whatever, it doesn't matter, and that's our mission.
Speaker 4: That's our job.
Speaker 3: So now that you got out, are you like a construction contractor going all these depths different type?
Speaker 4: Maybe turn this over to whomever else and go that direction.
Speaker 3: You know, you're cements only about you know, six satchels thick bro I don't know if that's gonna work or not.
Speaker 5: I mean, we do wall charges and teaching the guys at the time how to do wall charges, not to stick it on the wall and blow bay ass holes in it.
Speaker 3: So you know, today's video game kid playing all these things. That's how I know thermite personally, right, I've grown up. These video games they got thermite in them. Kids are hucking symtechs. You know, they're all doing these different knife throws across the map. That's the Tomorrow's you.
Speaker 5: My son plays those games, so like I'm well aware of what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, and so it's like you know we're talking to them right now. That's why I'm like, hey, break down that exo thermal?
Speaker 2: What is that again? Is that thermite? And some dudes are out there like, yeah, rad is that thermite? Interesting? It can be like he.
Speaker 5: Can burn through like whether that burns at what two thousand degrees or something crazy with that? Yeah, and then a torch or not two thousand. I think it's like ten thousand degrees. Yes, it's incredibly hot, and so if you gets slag on you, you're gonna burn through the skin pretty quickly, which I have scars from.
Speaker 3: I think they use thermite to repair railroad ties, like in a buying the like thermite on top of it to form a so hot dude, that's crazy, yeah right right? The cool toys that dev grew and Seal Team guys have over there. So dev grew is a development group, right, dev grew stands for development group. So you guys sometimes have first shot at the toe with the test right.
Speaker 4: It's R and D.
Speaker 5: So you're researching and developing certain a weapon system or what, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: They're R and D and there and then it's coming to you your teams.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then they just and then whatever that first line of gear is or equipment, then it funnels back through eventually to the other Seal teams.
Speaker 4: So, but they're the R and D, T and E team essentially.
Speaker 3: Right, and dev grew dev grew would and not to get too tight into this, but devre would and Compass also like Seal Team six.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, so it all falls under Jasck so jasock man and which is its own little animal? Really interesting to navigate, We'll say that much. But it was quite the quite the experience, I'll say that much.
Speaker 3: You know, Virginia Beach has a lot of cool trees though along those friendways.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: As I'm driving along there and I'm like, dang, they sit there and do war games in those I said, I want to do war games because I do war games for real here in Utah all the time, and you guys are doing war games for real for real Zia's I get that, but we still like the terrain. You know, it's just like so cool all those trees, mansld blind up moving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, So let me let me segue over to your partner here. I believe he is the chairperson for try task purpose. Say it like I mean it, Okay, And this is Josh Reddick, us army veteran twenty three years. Somewhere in there. I think there's a commander title, but I'll let him explain that.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show, Josh, and talk to us. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 6: Hey, thanks for having me on RAD.
Speaker 7: So, like you said, twenty three years, started off as enlisted medic and then ended up getting my commission and then commanding a medical unit for twenty years, and then switched over to civil affairs about three years ago, and got connected by the way, my history, my time in the military nowhere nearly nowhere near his pool is Mike's. Mike's got all the fun stuff. I just kind of your grunt doing the basic stuff. But what was really cool about how all this kind of came connected and whether or not you believe in the higher power? I listened to this show last year, and funny enough, Mike and I used to run cross country together in high school, and just the week before I'd been talking to a mutual friend of ours ask if he knew what happened to Mike, And there were all these rumors about how he became a Navy seal, but nobody really knew what happened to him.
Speaker 6: And then you know.
Speaker 7: All the way in Arizona, listen to your show and hear Mike Paine's voice on the show. Now, the cool thing about all this is where we really connected is on the civilian inside. I'm a CEO of a medical group that does physical medicine and rehab and works in pain management. So we have a lot of people that have addictions to fenyl or you know, name your opioid.
Speaker 6: So I call Mike if he needed help.
Speaker 7: With anything, just let me know, because I work on both sides of that, for the military as well as the civilian side.
Speaker 6: And that's how we got connected. But it was through Soft Rep Radio funny enough, so.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 7: There's a power to the airwaves and the networking aspect of it all.
Speaker 6: So here we are today.
Speaker 2: It's all about just the one person that listens. You know.
Speaker 3: I learned that so long in radio, right, So when I worked in radio, back in like two thousand and two, two thousand and four, it was like you're not talking to everybody. You're talking to one person in a car, that one person, you know. And back in the day, you wouldn't be able to really change the dial. Once you had a set, you had shit, And here's the everything. You're in the baseball game.
Speaker 2: Leave it. I got I got the channel.
Speaker 3: She's always listening, and so that that DJ needs to be like, hey to you out there that's listening right now, that that person right now, you who's listening to this about tribe, task and purpose. This message is to you, just like it was to Josh, just like you know, it's just going to be that way. I want it to be like that. So I'm so proud that you guys met regrouped if you will, through softwarep radio right the power of the airwaves. Like you said, if I have done anything on this show, this right here, that makes me it.
Speaker 4: Is awesome, man.
Speaker 5: And I can't even I can't express like how thankful I am with Josh and what he's done for the organization. Between the last conversation that we've had and now it's been we've we've had leaps and bounds with opportunity and with like our programs actually evolving into what it is today and how much impact we're having, like on helping folks.
Speaker 3: Well, tell us a little bit about that impact that you're having, Mike, tell us about why you felt the need to team up with Josh to push tribe task purpose to this level. What's what was going on in your head to get here?
Speaker 5: So I'll talk about inception. So I actually had inception about three years ago. I was in an impatient rehab program because I had a problem with I'll call and I couldn't quit, so I had a chemical dependency, couldn't quick long story short, I had an intervention my brother, who was also a frog but he's still active duty. He had to call Warcom, which is a one star admiral and a forced Matter chief, to get me into rehab the next day. So I was way off. I was bad, but all said, like, I get there. So I get to the program itself, and about a weekend, I'm like, this is not for guys like me at all, because my thing is like yeah, I because I kept saying, you know, focus on your addiction, focus on your addiction, I'm like, yeah, but I got PTS, I got TBIs, I have injuries and are laying me on a two inch mattress for you know, overnight, and I wake up with just in critical pain. You know, I had to work out in the morning just to get my blood flowing instead of the I was doing two days out there, because that's the only thing that was keeping me. Saying all that to say though, the inception of I'm like, okay, we need a program that's specific, designed and tailored to special forces or specops, operators and first responders. Well at the time, it wasn't first responders. It was just specops. That was the initial inception piece of it. So I'm like, all right, prive task and purpose. Prive task and purpose. The title is what actually resonates with most people. And the acronyms TTP, tactics, Techniques and procedures, that's what that's the acronym that we use in the teams, and so that's why it resonates with the operators. But what we've done, what this has evolved into, is a christ centered and holistic approach to heal addiction. And it's for commandos and first responders. And if you're looking at the spectrum of addiction. There's three phases. There's preventative care, there's impatient like what I went through, slash intensive outpatient, and then there's continuing care. Well, what TTP is is we're in the continuing care platform right now. So we'll get guys and women, actually, we'll get both of them into the program post let's say impatient or post intensive outpatient, or we can actually during the intake we'll make an assessment on somebody that's like they just can't quite quit drinking, but they don't need the inpatient program, So we'll make that call on scene with our providers and our medical doctors and whatnot during the intake phase.
Speaker 3: And that's a deal, right, because some people may feel like I don't want to be you know my you almost got straight jacketed into this situation. Let's just be a open about it, right, Okay, They're like, you're going and you're just commanders, people involved, you out of your your going. Somebody out there may feel like, oh, I don't want to do that, but I need to do this, but I don't want to do that. So you're like, hey, look, you may not need to do that. You can reach out and see if you just need to come to the inpatient outpatient style program where you're just like working with us. We're working with you, We're saying, hey, did you earn your batch this month? You have eighteen days left to go?
Speaker 2: Did you get it?
Speaker 3: You know that kind of motivation, right, That's a cool thing for them out there to also consider.
Speaker 2: It's not just always I mean, if you need to go, you got to go.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm definitely not throwing them under the bus because like, we fall in a certain category within addiction and we need those organizations out there that have that inpatient system in place in an order we have to have that. And I needed it. I just didn't need that one, but I did need a program, just not that one. And so you know, objectively looking at it, you know that's where you know we fall in this space and that's great, and so shifting gears a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have.
Speaker 5: It's a one year program broken up into three phases. Phase one is at is thirty days and we focus on IV infusions. Wait, let me backtrack, So intake is four weeks prior to phase one. Intake, we do blood panels, we do GI tracks, we look at heavy metals and we make a baseline on the individual so that way we can tailor our program to their needs. We don't blanket anything. We don't have a blanketed approach. We have an individualized, tailored approach. So when the mds or the doctors look at their at their blood and whatever, they're like, hey, we need to throw X amount of B vitamins at them, or we need to detox them from heavy metals or whatever.
Speaker 4: That protocol is. That's what they make the assessment.
Speaker 5: That's why it takes so long, thirty days prior to the actual programs starting. So going into phase one, we focus on physical and physiological normalcy.
Speaker 4: So we based on it, we zero themount. It's essentially a biohack.
Speaker 5: And what we do is we focus on IVY infusion or a drip therapy in collaboration with h BOT, in collaboration with US Century deprivation tanks, physical therapy and fitness and all these are professionals that like we have as service providers. Everybody has a master degree or above. Not that you need degrees, but it is definitely a verification for what they the level.
Speaker 3: Right, it's good to have a subject matter expert over the subject right that you're going to be if you're going to go be put under, you might all have an anesthesiologist do it. So you know, if you've got someone that knows about sensory deprivation machines, then that's probably the person to be working on deprivation.
Speaker 4: I definitely want Johnny the jump master at the door. I don't want my E five watching.
Speaker 3: Me unless he's a jump master, so unless he does yeah, because it's like it's like it's like having someone do your job that doesn't.
Speaker 4: Tell you that.
Speaker 2: So that's why, Yeah, I mean, I'm gonna fake it, luck.
Speaker 4: But we're just gonna wing this thing. Sure, So that's what we're you know, we're.
Speaker 5: Trying to we eliminated or minimized the winging of it, and we're actually tailoring it. And so that's why so imperative to have like the proper therapists, the proper mds, the proper PhDs, the proper you know, person in the right spot, just like you said, and that's what we have, you know, with with our partnerships and with our affiliates and providers, like they're all top notch, top level. So breaking that up, Phase two, we start focusing. So once we get them zeroed or bio hacked and zeroed out because most of them are coming with operator syndrome anyways, and there's so many other organizations out there they deal specifically with that, but we do it too just to just to zero them out because we're focused on addiction. But we got to zero them out. We got to get a good, solid baseline. Once we do that, and once they're feeling good and filling a whole, and after that we focus on the therapy modalities and that's group, individual, and family therapy sessions and they got twelve weeks of that and that's phase two and that actually goes into the twelve step program which we're utilizing Recovery for Life with doctor Paul Hardy.
Speaker 4: And Paul Hardy he's local.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's Providence, right, but he's a local provider here and that twelve step program is more closer to like a celebrate recovery.
Speaker 4: And you know, here's the other thing.
Speaker 5: If that doesn't resonate with the individuals going through the program and they want to go to a twelve step AA.
Speaker 4: Program, then fine, do it man, have a good time.
Speaker 5: Or if it's smart recovery that they want to do awesome or if it's celebrate recovery that they want to do fantastic.
Speaker 3: But the operator syndrome, I mean, that's a you know, the first person I've heard like say that. You know, it actually makes total sense for it because there is an operator syndrome. You guys are doing a specific job and it's not just like and there's there's guys. When I say you guys, I mean everybody. Okay, let me be let me be clear and put that out there preface this, but but you know, the operator syndrome is like it makes sense to have somebody like yourself who could.
Speaker 4: Talk like that's a whole idea behind it, and uh, you know that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 3: Actually, I just caught onto when you're saying operator syndrome, Like, dude's trying to help people with the same things that you've dealt with, Right, It's like there's other places that other people can go to for other things, but your operator syndrome just kind of stands out. And especially with my people that listen, there's a lot of vets out there. So I just want to coin that, you know, awesome, bro, operator syndrome.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, so to go on a little tangent real quick, what conventional models don't realize, Well, let me rephrase that. What some conventional models don't realize is the.
Speaker 4: Person that they're bringing in.
Speaker 5: They're bringing in these high functioning individual with an IQ on an average of about one point thirty, so like very intelligent, very like it's just a different breed of people, not better or not worse, just different on average.
Speaker 2: Though you said on average, I'm just kid dah. Yeah, yeah, that's fair on average.
Speaker 5: And so what we're doing is like we're nicheing it out for those individuals. And here's the other thing is like that includes first responders and when it comes to trauma, these dudes, those individuals see so much crap. They see the worst of humanity on a daily basis. So that's where it's like we got we got to bring them into the fold also, you know, like you know, and we need to heal them as well because we need them. We need them to be out there doing the job that they're doing, and we need them at full functioning capabilities. And so most organizations or some like rehab organizations don't understand that maybe or maybe they do, but they don't have they can't have that focus intently. So that's why we come up with this program to focus on the high functioning individuals.
Speaker 4: And that's you know, typically.
Speaker 5: Your specops guys and first responders folks and doctors and attorneys and everything else, which I can talk about that offline, but for TTP specifically, Yeah, that's what we did. And so to digress a little bit, when I was going through my program inpatient program, the thing that they didn't realize, I'm like, yeah, I get it, Like I'm physically addicted to all call. I cannot fix that. But what I do know is that it's a coping tool for these other things that are going on in my life. Like I hit a perfect storm of life and it's just I just try to use this as a coping mechanism and I got addicted to it. But let's focus on the PTS portion of it. Let's focus on my family falling apart. Let's focus on my bankruptcy at the time.
Speaker 3: What it is that's making you want to take that and like just like try to push everything else away, because that's what you're doing when you're hitting that bottle.
Speaker 2: It's just like a fit today.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna like go into this bottle and this bottle is going to take me home wherever that is, and you're going to be on the floor when you wake up. And you know, it's like what you've dealt with is you found your inner self and you kind of battled yourself and you figure out what it is that's causing you to want to do that, and that's where you have to start fixing yourself.
Speaker 2: I'm just.
Speaker 4: And so that's that's exactly right.
Speaker 5: But it first comes with an awareness and a personal awareness like I'm all jacked up. I need help, you know, and I can't do it alone. And that's what we're here. We don't throw stones, man, And not only do we fully fund the program, like the individuals that come here, like they don't pay a penny, Like we completely cover them number one, number two, like we're there for them.
Speaker 4: Number three, Like.
Speaker 5: We don't share their information with the commands if they're coming from a command, like that's hip A violations and we protect We protect that exclusively or entirely. Like you want their their stuff, fine, but you're gonna have to get a court order then because we're not giving it away.
Speaker 2: They'll have to tell you themselves.
Speaker 3: Right, it's like what they want to tell you, they could tell you, but otherwise yeacause that's.
Speaker 2: So said my listener, your your future help who you're going to help here?
Speaker 3: How do they come to Tribe Task Purpose? Like, you know, we keep saying those three, those three, the three words Tribe Task Purpose.
Speaker 2: Well, how do we Well, we.
Speaker 4: Have a website. We got a website trib Taskpurpose dot org.
Speaker 5: You can contact us via online or we have social media platforms also that if you want to, you know, follow us or friend us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, that's you know, we have those platforms as well. But on the website itself, like that is my personal number, so I'll take the call personally and that's my personal email.
Speaker 2: So that's awesome.
Speaker 3: So exactly, so Tribe Task Purpose, just go check it out. Hit up you know, Mike, if you want to reach out the internet social media, have you guys adopted the new social media threads well out there taken off? Have you guys check out on that yet? Oh it's called threads. Yeah, it's through Instagram and through Instagram. Yeah, you should write that down. It's blown up. Yeah, they just had seventy million registered users.
Speaker 2: In two days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I don't like to date my shows, but this is when Threads just came out. So if you're listening to it, go get a thread and follow me uh.
Speaker 2: Soft reps on there too.
Speaker 3: But I mean really, it's like usually if you go to your Instagram, it says, hey, we invite you to come open your account and threads and you go there and it's now supposed to be just like you leave a couple of blurbs of what you want to say and a photo and attachment and it's just real simple.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: And it's just you know, another another avenue for you to reach somebody, right, it just takes That's it.
Speaker 2: That's it. I'm just throwing it out there. And if you're not on Threads, hit me up Instagram or all that stuff too, and I'm out there. Yeah yeah, no for sure.
Speaker 3: But again with trib task purpose, is there anything in there with like recreational therapy for these guys?
Speaker 5: And I'm not going to say that I'm for it and I'm not against it either. In my theory is this, we don't want to substitute one edition for another. However, there's always positive feedback loops and and with positive.
Speaker 2: Snowboarding. That's I want to make sure you know what I mean. I mean.
Speaker 3: Size recreational like you know other as I'm not trying to go down any I'm saying, like rock climbing, like being with nature.
Speaker 4: Oh got it?
Speaker 3: That kind of a recreational therapy that got that the VA doesn't seem to give us. You have to be like eighty ninety percent rated to get recreational therapy at the VA. Right, So here we have veterans who are dealing with substances and they would like to not get They would rather have thrills before pills because what do you call it? Operator syndrome? These guys are all high speed high IQ. You're doing two days, you're like working out, trying to keep your mind free and clear. Why can't the VA prescribe weight systems for us or like you know, here's here's a snowboard prescription. Go to rat Snowboard shop and get a snowboard.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent on board with what you're saying, And yeah, I mean, we don't have that internal. But what we do is one of our modalities is getting on the farm for a week and just working with our hands again, you know, like that's so important that people lose it, that they lose that with you know, the job requirements and all that. You know that I get it, like understand that, but we have to reset and that's one of the modalities that we utilize. Another one is working with our hands, you know, just forming still into blades, you know, stuff like that. So that's another modality that we use. And that's another week long within the first phase.
Speaker 3: Like working with some earth and just making it into something and just like creating it out of you know, out of your own heart and passion and your own energy. It's like people who go and get their own food, right. I may be I may live a vegetarian lifestyle and try for that, But those guys that go out and hunt a deer, I got respect for that too, because they're bringing it home, they're doing the whole work, they're dressing it, they're doing everything to that.
Speaker 2: I got no problem with where they want to get their food. They got no problem with where I want to get my food. Kind of attitude. Right, we just live in this world, It's true. Yeah. Plus I talked some pretty hardfol hunters bro. Oh yeah, like you.
Speaker 4: They're out here.
Speaker 3: Dead Drew hunting one oh one.
Speaker 5: Absolutely man, And well, yeah, it's all about tracking, right and it's all, yeah, we're going on rabbit holes.
Speaker 4: But uh I love one team.
Speaker 2: The way, are we though? Are we?
Speaker 3: That's what we're all about here, bro, this is what trib tasking purposes.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: It's like, let's let's just pull our guys in and say, hey, let's go get off topic at try tasking purposes and figure ourselves out with these.
Speaker 5: That's what we do, man, We're figuring it out with them. And so that's the biggest thing. It's just we're there with them, like we I've got We've gone through it. So like let's like I was the guinea pig to this this program, and that's where you know, it was a very clunky thing at first because I was trying to figure it out. But the guys when they come back to me after let's say, all the guys so far minus one has you know, we have an eighty percent success rate within the first year of relapse. Like the conventional models there's a ninety percent relapse within the first year. We have an eighty percent success rate within the first year. So we just flipped it upside down on its head. And you know, to me, that's a victory because it's all these individuals. They come back to me like, dude, I don't know how you figure this out, man, but thank you. I haven't felt this good in years, Like, thank you so much. I'm like, dude, Like, it's not me, man, it's everybody. We're doing it all together as a tribe, you know, and as it should be. And I you know, I won't claim fame or I'll own the mistakes, but I won't claim the success of it because it's not on me entirely. It's the whole entire team. Josh being one person of the team as well, and I couldn't do it without him. And you know, within the first year we've already raised over one hundred thousand dollars to get people through the programs.
Speaker 4: I mean that's you know.
Speaker 5: As a startup, that's like that's divine, you know, that's that's like a providence.
Speaker 3: And you're open to more, right, You're willing to have people philanthropy more towards your organization too. So if there's a listener out there that's like, hey, you know, I've got to put something somewhere. I think this is a good organization. They can reach out to you and learn more, and if they want to put their money there, then so be it.
Speaker 2: Right yep.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know we're actually fixing. We're healing people. Man, We're not putting bannies on woms. You know, we're actually healing them. And that's you know, that's the difference.
Speaker 3: I think even the and the guy that goes through, like, uh, the guy you know that goes through, you know, a year of no alcohol and then relapses. You know, there's a year of a break of clarity in there that you know, that moment even is just a strong, powerful thing for that person because who knows what had happened in the year of unsurprised of just like being wasted.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yeah, you try hard. You know, nobody's personally.
Speaker 4: No, dude, I don't throw stones, man, he could relapse.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can't.
Speaker 4: I don't throw stones in glass. That's exactly right, because.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, I could exactly right.
Speaker 4: Drop off the bus.
Speaker 5: You know, like, I have to be accountable to something else, man, something bigger than me. Otherwise, you know, I have that potential and like, is it my kryptonite shirt?
Speaker 4: Own it? I own it.
Speaker 5: And I'm like Roger that I can't drink so fine, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 2: You know it is what it is, right exactly.
Speaker 3: And and and someone listening right now who may never even have come through your organization and never even went through an organization, tried to kick it themselves. You know that's right. You're strong. You can do it. I want you to know you can do it, and you can kick it. You know, if I could kick cigarettes after so long of smoking cigarettes, it's been seventeen years of mere smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 2: Eighteen years. Yeah, And to this day, if.
Speaker 3: I get a whiff of a Marlborough, it goes right back to Malty Crew Metallica.
Speaker 2: I'm like, where's that at, dude. I'm like, let's go do seventh grade all over again, bro.
Speaker 3: Basement of Robbie's house parents ashtray full of our cigarette butts.
Speaker 2: Dude, It's like, what are we doing? Man?
Speaker 3: But back then they put that stuff so accessible to us as youth. It was just right on the counters at the circle k, swiping the people swiping packs of.
Speaker 2: Non filtered camp What are you doing? Bro? We're adults, is what we're thinking. We're cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nah ah no, that's it. Man is targeting an audience for profits, right. And it's funny because it's so funny that you bring it up because when I was doing business school at Harvard and like one of the case studies was the Jewel Car case study to where they're targeting the youth to get addicted to their product, and so it came into the legal, ethic and economic piece of the Venn diagram. It's like, where do they fall in because at the time, it wasn't illegal for them to target that age group, or you know, it was just unethical. Well billions of dollars later in lawsuits, you have to stay within the parameters of ethical or not having ethical violations.
Speaker 4: That's the conclusion of the case study.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they said, you got to get rid of Camel Joe, you got to get rid of the Marlboro Man. You got to get rid of you know, the fancy chick with the more cigarette on the back of the magazine. You know, the MoMA right, Okay, with the long breast. I mean those things are all advertised to us like, oh, we need to do it. But what's at the end of it, it's somebody's profits. They're profiting off of our of addiction.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's one hundred percent, right, And so all they care about is their bottom line and who's going to buy the most amount of their product. And so that's why they target. It's a marketing scheme, So it is what it is. But now they're want again, they're paying billions of dollars in lawsuits. Well, you shouldn't have targeted that audience or that demographic. And that's where you know, with us, you know, we're not like we have a demographic, but we're actually on the other side of it where like we're healing people, we're not trying to make a profit off of their failment, you know.
Speaker 3: Or now, Mike, with with with what we're talking about, I'm thinking of other addictions other than just like alcoholism. Is there other opportunities for them to come and open up about these other addictions that they're dealing with with your organization right now?
Speaker 5: It's chemical dependency, So it's opioids and I'll call being the primary ones and man, I'll tell you their sons of bitches.
Speaker 4: Man, they're hard to manage.
Speaker 5: So that's why it's like, yeah, we'll focus exclusively on that right now until yeah, until we get a campus or infrastructure, our own brick and mortar. So where now we can start, you know, taper or we can start going off these little tangents of different arenas of addiction.
Speaker 4: But right now we're just focused on those chemical.
Speaker 3: Ones, chemical dependency and uh style and so, Josh, how do you feel now that you've been with these guys?
Speaker 2: What about a year now?
Speaker 6: Yeah, fair person, just over a year. No, it's a great program.
Speaker 7: And you know something I want to touch on that you brought up about listeners in the audience that don't necessarily need treatment but want to give back. I mean, the first word in our name is tribe because it does it takes a whole tribe. So it's not just it can be financial. I mean, Mike is big on the three t's, time, treasure, and talents. If anyone in the audience has time, treasure or talents they'd like to donate to the organization, we're we would love to have it. You know, as Mike pointed out, we raised one hundred thousand dollars in the first year, but we like to do more. There's a lot of people that need help, but you know, we need a community to help us do that. So right now, one of our biggest initiatives is just that, trying to recruit good talent, trying to raise funds, and finding people that really can put.
Speaker 6: The time in to make this work.
Speaker 7: The other thing I wanted to touch on, you guys are talked about the treatment style. I've been in in medicine for twenty three years and I've been working in pay management for sixteen of.
Speaker 6: Those years, and it's interesting.
Speaker 7: Most programs are set up in a way, and you guys talk about corruption, addiction, what reimburses the best by the government. The government ultimately dictates what treatments doctors do. Right, everything about TTP is different. It's thinking outside the box. But what I love about it, it's not putting pressure on a wound, it's not putting a band aid, it's trying to tourniquit.
Speaker 6: And that's what we're trying to do is reset the whole person.
Speaker 7: Let's get to the root of the problem and then treat that right there so that they can deal with their addiction or their triggers later on in life.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's very cool, right, Like some people don't need to put themselves in. They might have, you know, not the ability to go into a place to be you know, take they have to still work or function. There are functioning dare I say alcoholics out there that just get through life and can just manage themselves. There's functional all sorts of chemical dependency functioning yep, productive, yep. May not even think it's a problem, yeah, because they're like, I'm doing good, man. I don't know why I'm so hyper all the time and my heart rates out the roof, but I'm doing really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know. It's like, you know, you look in.
Speaker 3: The mirror and you feel tired, and you feel like you've just done it too much. And that's how I felt with cigarettes. And I'm just going to use that as my kind of crutch of what a huge addiction quitting was. I just one day woke up and I didn't want to have a drag of it. I wanted to breathe without having a cigarette in my lungs for the morning. And then I went I said, that's how long I can see how long I can go today without having a smoke. But I didn't throw my smokes away. I didn't say I'm quitting forever. I just put them in my glove box and I left them in there with smokes in it, and if I wanted one, I was mad enough to say, I can have one. If I want one, I can make my choice, and I can also make a choice to not have one. And so I left them in my glovebox for about two years.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: They would always open up my glove box. There's that pack of smokes. I close it. I'd open it up. There's that pack of smokes. I was like, it's mine. I could do what I want with them, right, the reason why I didn't throw them away?
Speaker 4: And then you start building a resentment towards I have.
Speaker 2: To go buy new ones. Yeah yeah, yeah, well I have to give I'd have to get them. If I had them, I can do what I want with them. I haven't. There they are. I don't want them. I don't need them. There, you're right there, I'm staring at you. I don't even need you.
Speaker 3: That's how I felt, right, you know, And so it's like that's what kind of kicked me off. That addiction was just I wanted to breathe free that morning.
Speaker 5: It really was, you know, that's where the willingness comes in of individuals where it's like, Okay, they don't want it in their life anymore, or they at least want to break from it. And that's where we give them that opportunity to be like, all right, man, let's get some clarity in your thought process, get out of these positive feedback loops, and then make a determination after that. But never make a decision under distress. Like that is where you know a chemical dependency. You're under distress continuously from the moment that you wake up until the moment you go to bed at night.
Speaker 4: Which is pitty sleep in the first place.
Speaker 5: But the thing is is like, so not only are you getting deprived sleep, but you're also you're not thinking clearly. And then it becomes a compounding a negative effect or otherwise known as a positive feedback loop. And the and another thing that it does is it creates arrested psychological development.
Speaker 4: So a person.
Speaker 5: Gets stuck at the age of let's say fifteen, I'm just using that as an example, but like, they get stuck in this rut and they don't know how to evolve or actually how to grow and develop as an individual. So their EQ or their emotional intelligence is you know, way down here because they've never had to use that muscle, you know, And so their IQs might be one hundred and thirty, but their eques at you know, fifty points or whatever, and it's like, yeah, we gotta, we gotta, we got some work to do, you know.
Speaker 4: So no, it's not all about the chemical dependency.
Speaker 5: That is a coping mechanism for something else, and that's what we're trying to identify. And that's what we do identify with the individuals gone through this program.
Speaker 6: M Rip, have you ever read the book The Body Keeps the Score?
Speaker 2: No, the Body Keeps the Score? Huh.
Speaker 6: I highly recommend it.
Speaker 7: But it basically comes down to childhood trauma that creates the perfect storm for addiction to happen later on in life.
Speaker 2: Ye yep.
Speaker 7: And that's what's something that you guys have kind of brushed on. But a lot of Mike said, a lot of operators there unique their special breed, right, they're different, but there's a lot of commonalities between them, and again, childhood trauma is one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So what what it becomes though, is that addiction is initially put into the operations they do right, the missions they go on, but then all they're doing is giving themselves more trauma. So when they don't have that anymore, they have to find that outlet. Some are lucky and put it into you know, the Dave Doggins of the world put into extreme sports. Other ones will find alcohol, drugs, whatever it is, but a lot of it. And that's what Mike's scanning at is it starts in childhood. So you got to cheat treat that childhood drama while putting a band aid and resetting the rest of the body.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, childhood trauma's real. Yeah, no, that's true because it could set you up. And you're right because like you know, my dad was adopted. You know, at twelve years old, I went to Vietnam, became a Green Beret operator.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Tough childhood, right, tough childhood one already I know his background, so I just know it's a tough childhood. A lot of other guys I've talked to in the same community have come from, like Drill Sergeant. Can't hurt my feelings because he's more of a dad than I've ever had, right, that was me.
Speaker 5: I mean, well, my dad is a great dad, but he was an addict also, So I had a childhood of addiction from get go. Like my mom gave me a beer or wine collar when I was eight years old, Like that was the first drink that I had, and she was driving.
Speaker 2: She was driving drama about laughing, James, bro.
Speaker 4: It's all good, man, but like that so like it is then.
Speaker 2: Though, Bro, was that that was then? Right?
Speaker 3: You used to be able to like not have seatbelts in our cars. Yeah, yeah, that was you're forty ish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well she was drunk.
Speaker 5: She was getting pulled over by the cops as me and my brother and sister were drinking a wine cooler and she's like time to start chucking, So we started chucking them out the window. Like I still remember this, but like you know, I thought, oh, that's just how it is, you know, and and uh but yeah, you know, that was my first exposure to all well, my first like individual exposure to it. And then so at the age of eight, man, we started the addiction or the what we thought was cool and then right, but it became and it always is, but it was poisonous and we just didn't see it until I didn't see it until I was about twenty five and I'm like, oh, this this sucks man like and then and it was it starts scaling bigger and bigger and big into my life to the point that it got out of control.
Speaker 3: Its bleeding into the team on you, right, it was bleeding to you and through you.
Speaker 2: And like, did guys ever say, you know, how'd you make the run this morning?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like, Uzy, do you ever say that? Yeah? Right, You're like, how do I do this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm you know, at twenty, when you're in your twenties, that's different than when you start getting into your mid thirties and you're like, I can't keep up with the with the young guy you know, and U and so And it's really because of the alcohol. I think I would have been so much better of an operator if I didn't drink. And but like, if we can capture these guys prior to let's say, after their first or second platoon and just start integrating or incorporating this into their lifestyle, because it becomes a lifestyle change, and we can create a whole new culture within specop's community. And that's the intent, is to pull out the negative and then we're not trying to create boy scouts or choir boys here.
Speaker 2: Oh I get it, but no, ye hundred percent.
Speaker 5: We're trying to make them the best possible person that they can be in their personal lives and their professional lives. And that's the difference. Like I'm not trying to tell a guy, hey, you know what, like I want you to watch Disney Channel all day long, you know, and like be you know, really empathetic towards you know, like, yes, that is I'm not talking about Disney, but I'm talking like the empathy piece, Like, yeah, that is something that we need to incorporate into our personal lives. But I'm not telling them to be something that they're not already a part of. Or I'm not trying to reconfigure or conform them into something that you know that I'd honestly say that's not already in the ethos.
Speaker 4: So all these individual communities.
Speaker 3: We're just fancast purpose though you come into that that organization, you guys can help sweat it out of them, Right, that's what's going to happen.
Speaker 4: Well, we're reinforcing just positive mechanisms and tools.
Speaker 6: That's it, right, and something else there with it.
Speaker 7: Mike start to touch a little about the preventative side, so the big thirty thousand foot view or the big big and it's eventually to get so integrated with these operators.
Speaker 6: That as they see a young guy coming up that maybe.
Speaker 7: Is starting to struggle with it, they can get them involved early on so they don't lose years of their career due to alcohol or drugs or whatever.
Speaker 2: Right, that's it, man, That is it.
Speaker 3: Because they're seeing some gunny or some chief or some starty first class slamming back Jamison who's been going through all the rigamaro that they're looking to go through, and they might think that's how they have to do it too, right.
Speaker 6: I think you can speak to that. I know I can.
Speaker 7: It's kind of endemic in those cultures though, the alcohol part of it, and that's how you decompress at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: Right, Right, because the military only allows alcohol to soldiers and airmen and sailors and coast guardsman's to drink rather than like you know, like recreational weed or medicinal or but alcohol. Like I don't understand that, right because like I see way more problems with alcohol than these other things I'm kind of referencing. It's like you know, a lot more like crying at your desk with something in your hand that you probably shouldn't think in stupid thoughts, you know, like.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a depressant, man, and that's that's the other thing. So now you're compounding it like exponentially because you're throwing in something on top of a trauma to trying to cope with it. But it's a depressant, are you kidding me? And it's highly addictive, and the re and the when you start getting off of it, when you're starting to go through the detox piece of.
Speaker 4: It, it could kill you.
Speaker 2: Like it's like, right, you can.
Speaker 3: Stroke scare you, Not to scare anybody trying to get off of it. Okay, but alcoholism is a very intertwined situation in your body, and you got to break free of it, and not only from the psychological thing of you know, okay, let's talk about cutting out addiction. You got to start changing your process in life. You got to like put the watch that you usually wear on your left hand on your right hand, and you got to start wearing things differently, and you got to put things in different places so that they don't trigger you to want to have that drink right away, because if you look at your watch, oh it's time. But if you have to look at your watch on this hand, you're like, oh, that's right, I don't do that no more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just rewiring, rewiring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it takes time.
Speaker 4: So we're here.
Speaker 5: We're here for them, We're here for We're here for the audience. We're here for you. Right, just reach out.
Speaker 3: Well, I love that. So you know, I've had your time for just about fifty sixty minutes. We've been listening to talk about tribe task purpose. You know, I've had the great privilege to talk with Mike Payton and Joshua Reddock, twenty three year veteran Army and Navy seal.
Speaker 2: And we're talking.
Speaker 3: You know, if you're just joining us, we're talking about my merch store on software dot cop No really though, check it. We're talking about a healthy mind, chasing your dreams, being successful, being there for you, a tribe. I want to be a part of this tribe. I'm here with these guys. I want to say that I am you know, and and we're all here and if you have questions, you can reach us on multip pull different levels of social media or even at tribe task purpose. I would recommend you go check those guys out. If you're considering trying to quit chemical dependency or you're trying to get a grip on what you're dealing with, reach out to them. They probably have some at least pointers and suggestions on where you can go.
Speaker 2: Now with that, Josh, do you have anything you want to leave us with?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: As we wind down.
Speaker 7: The last thing, I'll say again just to reiterate, guys, it takes a whole tribe and we need, you know, not just participants in the program, but people's time, treasure and talents. And if you have if you're good at social media postings it you know, for me, I I donate money as a as a tax break, and you know I come from a religious background as my tithe in Egosis organization. Do you have anything or if you have, you know the time to your retired military bed that wants to get back Mike and I went to retreat a couple of weeks ago. Or there were retired Navy seals helping out and they're looking at things having to do with traumatic injuries from preachers. There's so many different ways to give back and one of the best things you can do for addiction is to get back because it takes you out of thinking about yourself and your problems and helping other people out. So it's a tribe. It really is a strong community. We wanted to get bigger, we want we wanted to help. Plus other people feel free to reach out to us. Mike and I are always willing to listen and you know, see what.
Speaker 6: We can do.
Speaker 2: And Mike, what could you say to top off on that?
Speaker 4: I don't think I could top that, but I'll add to it.
Speaker 5: And you know, like when I started thinking in the morning, it's like, what's the most powerful force and what's the most powerful emotion? And the conclusion that I come up with the most powerful emotion out there is hope. So we give that hope back to these individuals that feel hopeless. And then the most powerful force out there is love. And we love our brothers, we love our tribe, we love our network, we love our community, and that's what we're trying as a force. That's what we're trying to implement into the world.
Speaker 3: I love that the love, love, empathy. Check on your neighbor. They may be a veteran or not. Just check on them, say hi. If they are a veteran, say hey, how you doing. You're good, next door neighbor, how you doing? You need some cookies?
Speaker 2: It's okay.
Speaker 3: It's okay to be neighborly and to have open conversations like this where you know, I've never met Josh, Josh has never met me, and we've just had this conversation cordially on chemical dependency. And I have met Mike before, so I didn't want to use Mike. I wanted to use Josh. But it's true. We can have casual conversations with one another without getting to each other's throats. That's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, man, Joshua.
Speaker 2: Side Joshua sideway, so he's like, what's going on? Listen? Listen. That sounds like that's our cue right there.
Speaker 3: So with all due regard, go check out task excuse me, trib Task Purpose, Mike Peyton, Josh Reddock, my name is Rad and again, check out the merch store. I got our book club at softwap dot com Forward Slash Book hyphen Club. And if you want to meet also be on the show or you want to reach out, drop me an email at softwap dot com. And big shout out to Brandon Webb, you know, editor and chief author. He's got his new book coming out called Blind Fear, and I'm the voice of the character Finn, the Navy seal that travels around the world in steel fear, cold fear. And we got Blind Fear coming out, so get ready for that. And again my two guests Mike and Josh. Tribe task or task, Tribe task purpose. We're only humans, So thanks so much for being here.
Speaker 4: Absolutely thanks, Rad, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. You're very welcome. Okay, this is Rad say Peace
Speaker 1: US Day, listening to Serf Recladia