Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: My guest tonight is one of the greatest tennis players and one of the greatest athletes of all time. He is a twenty time Grand Slam champion. He's also a philanthropist, an entrepreneur, and one of the classiest people you will ever meet. Please welcome Roger Federer.
Speaker 3: Roger Federer himself, nice to see you. Welcome to the Daily Show.
Speaker 2: It is so good to have you here because I mean you you have, for over two decades now, in many ways, defined a sport. You've defined how people see it, You've defined how people try and play it. You are a move I don't know if you ever think about how amazing that is.
Speaker 1: When people will say, they'll be like, I'm doing a Federer backhand, and I'm doing it.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You've transcended the sports as well, because tennis for many people is just this thing that happens somewhere. Who plays it and how do they play? You've become larger than life, and now it has all come to an end. Before we talk about the end, let's talk about what it was.
Speaker 3: When you look back.
Speaker 2: No, I want to talk about that just when when you look back, did you know from the beginning, did you have an inking, Did you look in the mirror and go like, oh, I'm going to switch this shit up?
Speaker 3: No? No, I did not know it was gonna turn out this good. I mean, in Switzerland, we don't dream this big. You know. We hope to we hope to be good, but not great. And in sports it's probably skiing and there's a bit football, a bit of ice hockey and all that stuff. And then tennis was coming up, and thankfully we had an Olympic champion, Mark Rosse in ninety two, him on the Olympics in tennis, and then we have Martina Hingis who also won the US Open Bimbledon, and they paved the way for me a little bit, to show me that it was possible. And then yeah, people were saying I could be the next Pete Sampress and I was talented and all that stuff. But you feel like they always say that, you know at some point, and I never thought I was gonna have this grade of a career. So I couldn't be more and more excited and more happy and more proud of everything, and unfortunately has come to an end. But it's been great.
Speaker 1: It really has been great. It's been amazing, truly, are you know?
Speaker 2: You talk about Pete Sampress, and I think about somebody like Pete, who who is a legend in the sports, you know, who defined so many aspects of the game, and he held the record for a very long time, and then you come into the sports. You it clips his record in what six years it takes you, you know, and Pete would talk about how you know that he got sort of tired of the sports, and you know he was a champion. It was, but you had this drive and this class about you that that nobody understood You're You're a multi generational talent as well. Because the class that you came in with retired before you. The next class played with you, and you were still the champion. And now the class that is there now is still goes. Roger Federer is one of the best competitors we've ever played against. You know, what do you think I would love to know how you how you found that drive? How did you keep on going? What inspired you when you didn't want it all?
Speaker 3: It's a it's a good question. And you know, when I was growing up, I had Michael Schumacher that I would look up to who was at the top for so long Tiger Woods, same thing, and I always thought it's impossible to do that, you know, to stay at the top for so long and have that drive. Now people ask me, how did you do it, and I'm like, well, it's normal. You just go out there. You do it again, and you try to win and again, and it's fun and so you keep doing it, and everybody else would like to be in your shoes, right and and then you also have a duty to in my mind, to represent the sport well and enjoy it while it blasts. And I really felt like I squeezed out that lem until the last drop, and I tried my very best in the end, and there was it was incredible. And I needed the likes of Pete Sampas, you know, to also show me how it is at the top. And it's it's tough, you know, but I feel like I made I had a lot of fun on the tour. Was not just about tennis. It was also going to nice dinners with friends. And I'm happy that I didn't take tennis almost that serious or that professional. Still had that bit of an amateur twist to it and a bit worried that every sport is going into such a professional direction, which I hope we don't lose the fun in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, that's one of the biggest things that has struck me about you in meeting you as a human being. And many people will say this about you. You'll meet many athletes who have dominated the sport. The sport is their life. It doesn't feel like that for you. It feels like the sport is a huge part of your life. But Roger feder is still Roger Federer. You know, you're down to earth. You have fun, you meet people, you have conversations, you're living the life, and you're enjoying what the life comes with. In the sport, it inspires you in a different way. Do you feel like the whole sport has.
Speaker 1: Changed in that way?
Speaker 2: It has become like really meticulous and analytical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, more so more analytics in the game. Sports science is also coming in hard. It's okay, it's important, you know, and when you see somebody else doing something that works well, you got to kind of do it too, or at least try it, and then you go you follow them, you know, And I probably I did some of it for other players or for a lot of them, and now others are showing it how it's done, you know. And of course we're living in a very statistic based world. You know. We love our statistics, we love breaking records and who's the greatest and all that stuff. So you you come out, you just won a Grand Slam or you just world number one, And the first question, so how long you want to say? Well, number one likes when you're going to win the next Grand Slam, like what's your next win? Instead of actually enjoying it. And it's a bit of a problem. I think we instead of enjoying it, we have to move on too quickly. And one Wimbledon victory would have been plenty for me and ended up going on and winning several, but it was several. It was good.
Speaker 2: When people regard an f as the greatest of all time, oftentimes they're only referring to what the athlete has done, you know, in the field of play, on the court, you know, on the racetrack, whatever it may be. Every single human being who even if they don't know you personally, says Roger Federer is the greatest of all time, not just because of what he achieved, in terms of numbers, but how he defined the sport. For instance, you had the record for a very long time twenty grand slams, you know, then Rufa comes along and beats that with twenty one. Then Novak comes along and beats that with twenty two.
Speaker 1: And yet when.
Speaker 2: You talk to them, they say, Roger Federer is who we're aspiring to, and he defines how we're trying to play it. So I'd love to know, you know, is it a little bit irritating that they're using you to beat your record or does it strike you that these are your greatest competitors saying yeah, but you're still the pinnacle of what we're trying to be.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, look, I feel very lucky to be that guy. And I know I've been ever since they come on tour, I've been there, So I think it's a it's a great moment for them, you know, to now show who they are without that Federer halo effect me being around, and especially younger generation that were not allowed to say I want to win the US Open because they were told, ough, you can't say that, because you know, Novak and Rafa and Roger we're all playing. So they are the ones that can say that. You're not allowed to say that, but I think, you know, the end was very emotional to be actually on such a great sort of a friendship really with the guys at the very end of my career, after everything that we've gone through, brutal matches, great wins, tough losses, and at the end always having this camaraderie is amazing. I mean, maybe just a little anecdote because maybe people don't know, but we share the same locker room, we share the same restaurants, we usually get put in the same hotels, so we see each other all the time, and we even practice together. You know.
Speaker 1: That's something I think a lot of people don't know.
Speaker 2: And when I found that out, it was one of the strangest ideas I had to wrap my head around. I don't think there are many sports with the greatest rivals practice.
Speaker 1: With each other.
Speaker 2: I would go, like, you know, I think of like Kung Fu movies as a kid, I.
Speaker 1: Don't want you to know my secrets. I don't want you to know my tricks, and you would hit with each other.
Speaker 3: That's why I ended up not practicing very much with Novak and Rough anymore.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Not so much for those guys you would stand, for instance, like breaking my gut guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's a camaraderie that that your chief instance.
Speaker 2: Many were shocked, especially people who don't watch tennis to see when you know, when you were saying goodbye to the sports. So many people were sad because I think for many, myself included, we felt like we were robbed of you know, the last few years, COVID robbed us of so much in our personal lives, you know, in societal lives, but then also in moments like this, we got robbed of two years of Roger Federer playing the game. You know, it felt like your retirement came so early, and when you did say goodbye no.
Speaker 1: To us, it did it?
Speaker 3: You know, not for me. Yournes are telling a different story, hanging.
Speaker 2: But but then you know, there's there's there's that amazing video of the players saying goodbye to you. Yeah, and it's this clip of you and Rafael Nadel crying.
Speaker 3: We're all crying.
Speaker 2: You are crying, you are in tears, you're bawling together, and that was a special moment.
Speaker 3: No, I really think, I mean, this is a very unusual situation for us to be on the same team number one, and so I think that changed the whole dynamics of my farewell if you want, then my hope was I could play doubles with Rafa. So call him up after the US Open. And it was a very emotional phone call actually, because it was one of the first times I told somebody outside of my team and family and I had to call him up and tell him, Hey, Rafa, just before you make any other plans, I would love you to be at the Labor Cup and play maybe one last doubles with me would be amazing, because unfortunately my knee is not so good anymore. And I think it's the end, you know. And he's like, oh yeah, oh my god, Okay, yeah, I'll be there whatever it takes. I just he's now come my father. I'm so happy for him. And we were we were not sure if he was going to make it, you know, because of the baby. So it was one of the first times I had to tell that story and come to terms like the career is ending. So when he showed up and Novak was there, and Murray was there, and be on Board was there and everybody was there. It was an amazing moment, and then I knew it was going to be incredibly emotional. I've always cried a lot in victory and in defeat when I was younger, and I don't know why, but I do it. But I'm happy because I remember those moments even more so because of it. And then when it was all over and I had to take the mic, I knew it was going to be terrible for me, but I felt it felt like I did actually pretty good, and I was so happy I was able to be there in tennis clothes and not like this because that was my in my vision, it was going to be a beautiful horror show, you know, for me to be there with the mic in front of the in the light and tell everybody, you know, this is it. And it was an amazing to do it in London too, where I had so much success and and Labor Cup was beautiful and Rafa they're holding my hand. Briefly people thought it was or I held his hand actually, but it doesn't. It was amazing. Yeah, you know you're.
Speaker 2: Going to have and you will always be synonymous with the sport you As I said, you you know you cannot separate Roger Federer from the sport itself now, and and yet I was shocked to hear a story which I don't know if it was true or not. You know, I was like, Roger Feder everyone at tennis, you cannot the name is synonymous.
Speaker 1: With the sport. You kind of Roger.
Speaker 2: And then someone was like, well, you know, Roger couldn't get into Wimbledon recently.
Speaker 1: I was like, wait, wait, that's not possible. Is Roger Federer? Is this? Is this a truth? Is there even a semblance of truth to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well no, nonstand what it was.
Speaker 3: It's actually two weeks ago. So I was in Tokyo for our response my sponsor Uniclone, and I came back to Wimbledon, actually to London to come see a doctor for having a second opinion on my knee because my knee has been not great lately. And then I didn't want to tell Wimbledon that I was going to maybe be there, and I didn't know if I was going to have time to go buy the club because I was going to fly home to the family. So doctor appointment was done. Look on the watch, Okay, we got two hours to kill so what are we going to do. Do we head to the airport or let's quickly go have tea at Wimbledon. Of course, so let's go. But I have not really been at Wimbledon when the tournament is not on. So okay. So I drive up to the gate where usually guests come in, where let's say you would arrive, and then you go up and so I get out. I tell my coach, who was with me at the time, seven, I tell him I quickly go out and speak to the security lady. You know, I got this, you know, and then I did not. So then I get out and I'm like, yes, hello, I just was wondering how I can get into Wimbledon. You know where, where's the door, where's the gate? And she's yeah, yeah, Do you have a membership card? I'm like, we have one? I don't because when you win Wimbledon you become a member automatically, yes, And I honestly I don't know about membership cards. They're probably at home somewhere and I've just been traveling, so I had no idea. So I'm like, no, I don't have my membership card, but I am a member. I'm just wondering where I can get in, and she's yeah, but you have to be a member. So I'm like, okay, this is going to be difficult here this one. So I'm like, no, I am a member, and normally i'm here, so I have to start again, right, So I tell her normally, when I'm here, i'm playing and there's loads of people and I come in in a different way. And now it's the first time I'm not here. Yeah, well the term is not on and I don't know where to get in. So I'm just asking you again, where can I get in. She's like, well, I'll decide, but you have to be a member. So I look at her one last time and I'm in a panic. Now I'm I'm so sorry, and I couldn't believe. I still can't believe I say that because I still feel bad about it. And I'd look at her and I was like, I have won this tournament eight times, please believe me. I am a member? And where do I get in? So I'm like, okay, it was so so. Then so I get back in the car. My coach is like, oh good, where do we get in. I'm like, don't don't, don't talk. So I'm like let's go up and around the gate. It's so. Then I go out and I go around on the other side. So I get out of the car, and random person walks, you know, on the walkway and said, oh, mister Fedder, I can't believe you're here at Wimbledon. Can we take a selfie. I'm like, yes, let's let's take a picture. And the security and the security guards that are there, they're like, oh my god, mister Federwood, are you doing here? You have your membership card. I'm like, no, I don't, but is it possible to get of course, we'll open the door, let me organize it. And I walk in and the chairman was there and everybody, and I was having tea for an hour, and I thought of going over to the other side and giving a wave that I was in, but but I didn't do it.
Speaker 1: You'd never do that, But it was you would never do that.
Speaker 3: It was terrible. You would never do that. You see. That's what I mean. That's that's that's Roger federh When I said I want to wimble in eight times, for a split second, I wasn't sure if it was eight anymore. Because I was I thought it was seven. Was it eight? I don't know, but I said it because I never talked like this.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you know what, I love that both of you in that situation because on your side, you never talk like that.
Speaker 1: You're never that person I've bumped.
Speaker 2: I've been with you in places where somebody for some reason doesn't recognize you and you don't respond as if they should recognize You're not that person.
Speaker 1: But on herself, I believe she deserves a raise.
Speaker 3: She was gangst about it, she was doing it. Where's your membership cards? Because I mean, you know, you know how it goes sometimes do.
Speaker 1: Where's the membership car?
Speaker 3: Where is your name? Where's your picture? You don't have it? I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: It was good. It was good.
Speaker 2: What what I've enjoyed about about knowing you is we have so many things in common.
Speaker 1: You you may not know this.
Speaker 2: As an audience, but you know, like Roger and I have many things in common.
Speaker 1: We we both we both are half Swiss off South African. Yeah, we're both Africans.
Speaker 2: We we both speak multiple languages.
Speaker 1: We both played at the record holding. You know, I think it's gold.
Speaker 3: We both played tennis.
Speaker 1: We both played tennis.
Speaker 3: We do we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's the world record for the heighest of tennis for the tennis match that we might still.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I played for twenty plus years, right, but to break the record. You know, I need, I need you needed help. Yes, I did it help.
Speaker 2: I don't know would happened without me. You know, we have between us twenty grands time titles. It's crazy, and you know, in many ways, you know, you know we're both moving on to something different. And I'd love to know from your side, as an athlete who's defined yourself as something for so long, and if people have defined your one thing so long.
Speaker 1: You've talked about how how hard.
Speaker 2: The idea of moving on has been the idea of what you will do when tennis isn't your life. But I've noticed that you you've almost seamlessly slid into everything.
Speaker 1: You know, your your clothing is everywhere, your shoes.
Speaker 2: You know, like one of my one of my camera guys on the team, Tim, he was telling me, he's like, these are like walking on clouds. You know not but you and you've done everything exceptionally your philanthropy, all of the work you've done to help education in Africa, Roger Federer has excelled at everything in life. What are you most excited about that won't be tennis related?
Speaker 3: You know, I feel a little bad at the moment because I mean, it's been super easy transition so far. I feel really good. Fall off the cliff tomorrow, who knows, but I feel really good. And the thing is, I've told a lot of people who had so many requests, you know, while I was still playing, like well, reach out to me when I'm retired, so they have now and so now we've had to say no in a thousand different messages ways, you know, unfortunately no still not you know, so I feel bad about saying no, but I think I have to take the time to make the next move. And ma anyway, still very busy. I mean, I have four children and they mean everything to me, twins twin boys that are eight and twin girls that are thirteen. So that needs to be my priority with my wonderful wife Mirka, and we.
Speaker 1: That's right. She deserves is amazing if you've met this really.
Speaker 3: Every step of the way. So no, So I mean I'm really looking forward to what's next. I mean, like you said, I have my philanthropy, I have my partners, my sponsors, I have my business and it's going super well. And I don't know. I want to see how I maybe stay involved in tennis in some shape or form. I'm not sure yet how it's going to go because there's not that many jobs if you want in tennis, like in maybe in soccer or in golf. I feel like they have many more interesting. Yeah, we're either a coach or a commentator. Right, it's very solitary, very small. Yeah, so I'll have to see. But I will always be open to to mentor kids and do all that stuff.
Speaker 2: There is one thing that you're doing exceptionally right now, and that is being an ambassador for Swiss tourism.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've seen the ads. They're really amazing. No, there really are some of the funniest ads.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: You did one with Anne Hathaway. There was pretty amazing. One would the role. Robert de Niro was one of my favorites, you know, but I was, I was.
Speaker 2: I was intrigued by this because I came to Switzerland for the first time on my comedy tour. Right Roger reached out, which this is this is the kind of person, this this man is this is Roger Federer, the greatest you know, tennis players ever lived, one of the greatest athletes of all time. And I get a call when I'm in Switzerland. He goes, I know you're here, would you like me to maybe? Would you like to for lunch maybe and talk about Switzerland? Or would you can show you around? Or can I'm like, can you like? It's so gracious and it's so unassuming, Like it was like I would expect you.
Speaker 1: For and be like, I know you hear you're going with me? But no, Roger fair was like, if you would like maybe I can you know?
Speaker 3: Anyway? It was amazing, show was unbelievable, and you're one of the best.
Speaker 1: Tour guides of tourism.
Speaker 3: No, I learned from you.
Speaker 1: I put stuff on the show and and so I'd love.
Speaker 3: To know that those those ads were nerve wracking, because you know, the good thing with the Robert de Niro one is that, I mean number one, I can't believe he actually did it, which in itself was a victory. I mean, I'm a huge fan. And then he shot his first was during COVID and was like everyone on a on a call together, you know I was on a video call, so he has had done his before, and then I could just act on what he did, and I obviously could do one hundred takes if I had to, and there was no pressure and he wasn't around, so but I agree. It was actually very creative and it was a good piece, especially his side. Me. I'm not not the best, but then but then and Hathaway, on the other hand, she was sitting next to me when I was doing the the ad and.
Speaker 1: Was that stressful.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was very stressful because I hadn't the script had changed a lot of the times. And then I gave up because I knew Anne was doing her magic. And when I showed up, the director said, I usually shoot in one piece, And like, what do you mean in one piece? You like the whole thing? Yeah, one take and then it goes like an action And literally I had no idea about any of the lives. So they created all these tele prompters for me so I could read off them and then the camera would be moving in front of the tailer prompt and I'll be chasing the text. Anyway, I got better over time, and then Anne was super sweet. You could have been nicer to me, and and then she tells me at one point towards the end, she's like, you know, Roger, you have improved so much during the shoot and you're doing so good. You're improvising incredibly well. And I look at her, I was like, you don't have to tell me this. I don't need to be an actor. I'm not a good actor, and I need you to come home and just say, you know what, Swiss tourism, this was a fun ad. You had a great a great time, and you don't need to tell me. I'm a I'm doing well. It just needs to be good for you. I'm fine, don't worry. I can be terrible and I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: You're terrible, you work great.
Speaker 2: You're a great ambassador for Switzerland, you're a great a great ambassador for the sports of tennis, and honestly you're a great ambassador for human beings.
Speaker 1: Thank you for everything you've done.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, thank you, Thanks you for taking.
Speaker 1: The times to be It's a love.
Speaker 3: Being here every single question, but I know that it is the fatter everybody.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching the Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 3: Get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Watch the Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fair Amount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast