Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Vanessa Mayor and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 1: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood in nostalgia and how it shaped us into the people we are today.
Speaker 2: We are really yo yo excited about our guests today.
Speaker 3: Welcome to How did we get weird?
Speaker 2: So, Jonah, I was thinking about when we were younger and how you were in this sort of advanced program in middle school for really smart kids that I wasn't able to join, I wasn't picked to join. So do you want to elaborate on what you did in this program called Horizons?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's funny you weren't in this program because you ended up going to an Ivy League school getting way better grades than me in high school. But this was probably around like fifth grade, and I don't know how they picked kids to be in Horizons. It might have been some kind of standardized test.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We would meet in the mornings and I designed their logo. I remember it said Horizons. It had like a mountain range in the back and the o was like one of those cubes. Everyone drew one of those like three D squares with the two the diagonal line. I remember it yeah, and we would have just like other assignments, Like we would do these assignments. We would meet in the mornings, and I don't remember a lot of the content. This was, you know, a good right.
Speaker 2: You guys would kind of come up with inventions and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, computer program inventions. Yeah. We would have projects reports. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I mean, you know, we were young too. I mean I think we were like ten, eleven, twelve, so no one was coming up with anything to uh groundbreaking.
Speaker 2: I don't think, well, I'll have you know, and you probably don't remember this that I was kind of in the upper reading class and we had our class while some of the kids were in Horizons, you know, obviously two grades later than your grade, but we got to have donuts in class so the teacher would make us feel better for not having been picked for the gifted program. And I remember you saying, although I don't think you remember this, that you tried to stop that from happening in your class because you thought it was unfair.
Speaker 1: I remember bringing in donuts one morning, like I think me to get back at like the Yeah, I think I was like, we should be able to have donuts because everyone's getting donuts and why should we be penalized for, you know, just being so much smarter than everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you wanted to both be in the gifted program and get donuts, and that.
Speaker 3: Probably the donuts first, then the gift program.
Speaker 2: Well, I got donuts every week while you little smarties want to. So so with that Jonah in your gifted brain, do you think we should introduce our guest?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I've also noticed you kind of do this thing when you don't want to finish, like an insult, You just kind of like let it drift off a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yes, our guest today is an actor and comedian who we first saw were obsessed with is a yoyo master castrass on local news shows. You may know them from his work on other shows like The Office, Better Call Saul.
Speaker 4: Welcome Mark, guys. So, what was the reading class? Also a gifted program? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What was a reading So here's the thing is, the reading classes were kind of in two sections. I believe there was the more advanced reading level and there was the regular level or whatever, and we were in the more advanced level. So it really sort of extra burned that we didn't get into the gifted program. So I think we had reading class during the first thing in the mornings when Horizons was happening, and so I think it only happened once a week, so the Horizons kids would like normally be in our reading class except one day a week when they would go do their Horizons and we felt like absolute shit. So we got donuts. So we got donuts in our class. The thing is, I don't know if the regular reading class got donuts or if it was just for us, like sour pusses, who were like, where's our classmates? They went to Horizons, you know, screw them?
Speaker 4: We had none of them in our well. I mean, we were congenital morons.
Speaker 2: In my town, aren't where are you from again?
Speaker 4: On Alaska, Wisconsin, which is actually a really great town and an incredible school system. Maybe we did have gifted programs, but I just didn't catch a wind of them because I was so low on the academic totem pole. I did get donuts once in kindergarten, a donut, I guess in my speech therapy class, which included all of only me. Really, it was just me and the teacher in my speech therapy class. Yeah, I couldn't pronounce my RS as a child. I was an adorable little kid that had soft urs.
Speaker 2: I didn't say there ares. I think that our mom was like that. Did you know that, Jonah, I think our mom had a hard time seeing her RS when she was a kid.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: So Mark, if you pronounced your rs, well, then the teacher w pull a donut out of yeah, out of.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: No, it was a little more sanitary than that, but not much more sanitary.
Speaker 2: It sounds like this speech therapy worked. And maybe because of the donuts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do love donuts and I always have and so maybe she is like, Okay, this sloughingly child will probably like these fatty donuts. That'll get him to speak correctly. And now you do, and now I do, and I still eat donuts. So this is fascinating and I'm happy I brought this up for every one.
Speaker 3: We are too. We are too.
Speaker 1: If you're going to have a donut these days, are you into just like a classic kind of like diner donut or do you like the more kind of fancy, kind of more unorthodox donut.
Speaker 4: I like the classic donuts. My favorite is a chocolate covered custard Bismarck and whoa, I'll go on, and those are probably the least healthy. Those and apple fritters. And apple fritters are in credibly unhealthy even though they have fruit in them. They're just terrible for you. And at the very bottom is like the super fancy hipstery donuts that they have now and cake donuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, cake donuts are tough for me too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, They're just dry, and yeah.
Speaker 2: They're not as good donut. I think I know what your favorite donut is. Can I guess?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure what it is, so yeah, please guys.
Speaker 2: I feel like, at least as a kid, your favorite donut was a jelly filled donut.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I still do like a jelly filled although once in a while I feel like I get one and I'm like, this is disgusting. But I think they can be really good. It depends on the jelly.
Speaker 3: Add yeah, I hear it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I also think the amount of powdered sugar on the outside.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: We used to call those goppies in my family, and I remember going to the grocery store once with my mom. I have three older brothers, so we would buy a bunch of donuts on like Sunday mornings. And I remember one time as skiing for two of the goppies and the woman had no idea what I was talking about. And then we got back in the car and my mom, I remember this so clearly. My mom said, you're too old to still call those gapies. And I was just like, well, that's what I thought they're No, they're jelly filled donuts. You're too old, and it's just, oh god, that's grim. It was one of those moments where you're like, oh, I'm I guess I'm older than I thought I was. You know, oh I don't you know, you're starting to say goodbye to your childhood.
Speaker 2: And it was yeah, yes, yeah, And gopies were they were powdered donuts.
Speaker 4: They were jelly jelly film jelly fillies.
Speaker 1: Were those kind of the last ones to go in your house or people like that. Oh people love them, Yeah, okay, great, Yeah. I mean you know, you have three older brothers.
Speaker 4: It's you try to get as much food inside of you as quickly as possible, especially when it's sweets, So.
Speaker 2: Sure it makes sense. No, Well, we're so excited to have you here today?
Speaker 4: Mark?
Speaker 2: And Jonah and I both discovered you, and I believe it's because Jonah sent me clips of it when you used to do this character, Kay Strass, where you would go on morning shows as a yo yo master, and it's one of the funniest things either of us has ever seen in our life.
Speaker 1: How did you come up with the idea? And like how did it work? And like cause it seems like it would be something much harder to do today for some reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and will you kind of explain what it is for the audience who maybe has you know?
Speaker 4: Sure? So, Kay Strass was this character that a friend of mine and I came up with, and the idea was to go on morning shows and in character, and that the hosts or no one at the station would know that I'm playing a character. They thought I was a real person coming in. And the idea would be that if I was able to do like ten in a row, you would get a couple storylines about this guy's sad life and it would conclude in episode ten. And we built a fake website for this fictional toy company that I was, you know, going out and about working for, and a press release that we sent out to a bunch of TV stations, and the idea was that my character Kase Strass Kenny kay Stras Strasser was coming to their town to teach kids about the environment through his yo yo makes no sense, like it just on its face makes no sense. We would say in the press release, like he's coming to area elementary schools, So that way it's kind of a sign off for them, like they don't have to worry or do too much due diligence if a school has already signed off on your The other thing was we promised that he would do a demonstration of yo yo ing. And thirdly, it's the idea that he's talking about a hot button issue like the environment, right, so it was kind of catnip for morning shows who just need people to come on and fill some time. And then when I would get on, of course I can't yo yo personally, I don't like yo yo ing, and I would just talk about how you know, what's going on at the schools when I visit, or what's going on in my private life, and then usually screw up a yo yo trick or two, and you would just see their eyes start to get wide as I would begin talking and they realized like, oh, this guy's am more on. How am I going to deal with all their training and experience comes flooding back in order to handle the situation that's increable.
Speaker 1: I mean, what was a moment like I guess like when you're in You're wearing the suspenders, the shorts, you got the hat on, and they're about to go live.
Speaker 3: I mean, what's that moment?
Speaker 1: What was that moment like where you were like, oh, this was like a funny idea and now I actually have to do it on TV.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's interesting. As long as I'm in character, I don't worry. I'm not embarrassed by anything. I'm not too scared or like stressed out about anything as long as I'm in character and I'm not method at all. I just I feel like as long as they think the characters are moron, it has nothing to do with me, and I'm just doing my job right. In fact, for them to catch on, I felt I was more scared about that than like figuring out I'm faking. So from the moment I got out of the car to the moment I got back in the car, I was in character. Just because I was so terrified of them figuring it out. But I mean it was exciting. I remember lying in bad the first day that I was going to do this, and I had to drive up to I was living in Wisconsin. I was unemployed at the time, living in Wisconsin and in Milwaukee, and I had to drive up to Green Bay, which is like two hours. I had to be there at five thirty am. Wow, And that night was an awful blizzard, And I just remember waking up at like two thirty and thinking, you know, I could just not do this and just stay in this nice, warm bed. But then I was just like and then, what like, what's the rest of my life look like if I don't do these things once in a while. And it's crazy that there was that moment where I made a decision to do it.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. So you're saying when you would arrive and you would be in character right away, and then I'm sure leaving in character was that must have been kind of a challenge because the hosts and everyone at the station were probably already so frustrated with you. So did you how did you handle leaving? Did you apologize? Would you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, almost every time the hosts would just walk away like I had the plague or you know, or something, And it was always the camera person that would have to come up and get the mic off of me. And without fail, and I started doing it just as a joke to myself. Without fail, I would always say, ooh, that did not go so well, did it? That did not go so well? And without fail they always said, well, no, it wasn't that bad. You got your points across. And that was when I almost started to laugh, because it's like, what points did I get, Like my misguided ideas on how to rear children, the fear of my father. I mean, it's just so so strange that they thought it wasn't as bad. I mean they were just being nice, you know the Midwest.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure we do that in the Midwest. I have a question, and this Vanessa knows what I'm going to ask. This is a question I've wondered about for many years. There's a line and I've I've always been curious if this is improvised or written when they ask how long you've been yo yoing? And you ask in the most like it's the most normal question in the world. What year did Schubert Dip come out the YMF rack album and for some reason, there's the way you say it, and just that album titled to me is like one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Did you make that up or were you thinking about because it's such a bizarre reference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I would say eighty percent was improvised and the rest was just written lines that I had in my head. That one was a written line that I had And there were two other versions, which was when did baby Jessica fall down that well? And what year did the Challenger explode? So just awful, awful moments that this guy equates to when he began yo yoing for some reason.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's it feels like a huge tree to get that answered. Jonah, Jonah, it's.
Speaker 3: Big for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ninety one Schubert Dip came out. I looked at up recently.
Speaker 4: Subert Dip was my favorite.
Speaker 3: So were you an actually MF fan? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: When you came on this morning shows, just for people who haven't seen it, you would obviously, like you said, you would go through this narrative and it went from everything from like you know, you talking about how you haven't been you've only been in one school to then you're saying that they just fired you. And then on another morning show you say that your girlfriend broke up with you and you don't want to like you kind of talk about how you don't want a girlfriend and so all the stuff did you get through your narrative? Were you? Cause? I remember, Okay, god.
Speaker 4: No, no, unfortunately not. It's interesting, Like I was so angry the day that this dead Spin article came out. So basically people started uploading these videos. They would be like, oh my god, look at this idiot on our morning news show, and it got picked up by dead Spin and they wrote this big article about it, like they can't figure out who this guy is. Because I was, I took found any information, little information about me. You know, I got rid of all my social media and that's been through this article up and it kind of blew up, which I didn't think, Oh, this could lead to like LA or Hollywood or a gig acting or anything like that. That was so far from where my head was at. I was so annoyed when it blew up. Yeah, and then people started canceling. I mean, you know, yes, I had mentioned we sent out I think it was like fifteen press releases and by the end of the day we had twelve booking. Wow, and so it was it was it lined up perfectly, but yeah, no, we weren't able to finish. And then the we tried to wrap it up with this WGN appearance and it just, in my opinion, didn't work. It just didn't work.
Speaker 2: So remember this one morning show kind of did a second story where they like had had you on, and then they did another thing about you where they kind of exposed you for having which actually just made them look so stupid, Like it didn't really put you in.
Speaker 4: A bad light.
Speaker 2: It more made them look like really naive for not having caught on earlier.
Speaker 4: That was interesting because, like you said, they're like blowing them, you know, blowing it up in their own faces and right, but then again I felt like they were some of these places tried to backpedal as quickly as possible to show oh no, we figured it out right away, and.
Speaker 2: It's but they right, right, right, right right, And is there anything like in terms of the storyline of this case, strass character, were there some major plot points that you didn't get to that you'd be willing to share.
Speaker 4: Yes, what happens is my character gets injured in a jet skiing accident, right, and they bring in this new yo yo master who actually we found this guy who actually was a good yo yo master, and then there's one episode that's just him. By the final morning show appearance, he's disappeared and I'm back and they don't know where he's gone. I have nothing to do with it, and I just keep talking, you know, just keep digging a hole about how I had nothing to do with this guy's disappearance. You know, maybe it's better that we didn't get to finish it, just because it could have gone off the rails and been not as interesting for people.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, that's amazing. So was did you get like more? You know, obviously you've been on all these kind of popular shows more recently, Like was this kind of the way you kind of broke into.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. The writers on the office would watch it during their lunch breaks, and this writer at the time, Omily Gillette, reached out to my friend because she knew him from the Onion. This writer I Onlee Jillette, who I'm burying the lead she's now my wife. Yes. I reached out to my friend. He had worked in the distribution of The Onion and she wrote on the Onion and she was like, hey, is this guy? Do you know this guy? She figured out some website was made under his name, and he was like, yeah, it's my friend Mark. And she's like, would he want to talk to Paul Lieberstein from the office who plays Toby, And Paul was running the show at the time, And so I get this call from Paul Lieberstein. He's like, hey, you know, would you maybe want to be on the show or come out and take take a little, you know, visit. And I was like yeah, So they flew me out. A month later, I'm on the show. I mean, it was that crazy.
Speaker 2: And then five years you were like yeah regular, like you were really right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I did, I think nineteen at the pisodes for the last three seasons. I mean, it was really trial by fire, like if I remember distinctly being like, all right, this is it. If you can't do it, you can't do it. But yeah, and then five years later I married that writer Amily Gillette, and yeah, it's crazy making a jackass of yourself on morning shows. Paid off for me.
Speaker 2: I guess when you watch it, you can also just see how good your comedic timing is because the way that you stretch certain things out and the way that you just know exactly what to say to sort of make a dead end for these hosts so that they have nothing, there's nothing they can say.
Speaker 1: Did they kind of pretend it didn't happen, Like they kind of just like pretend the whole thing didn't happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, again, it was just a deer in the headlights with them, and you know, some of them would be grumpier like as the segment went on, and so I would get like I would get angry at them for like what if I was real like how mean?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: This poor guy this way? And so I would lean into it a little harder.
Speaker 1: But that's so amazing because yeah, it makes sense the Office too, because that was like that awkward kind of sense of humor. Especially in the Bridge version too. That was so much that sensibility. I mean, it totally translated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very lucky that that show was on when it was and.
Speaker 2: They're so lucky to have you too. Oh yeah, so we're going to put a video link in the show notes so that people can watch these incredible clips of Mark if they haven't seen them. We're going to go to a quick commercial break and we'll be right back with Mark Brooks.
Speaker 3: And we're back earlier.
Speaker 2: We were talking about your case strass character, and we were talking about what our topic should be for today, and we were thinking morning shows because they do feel like kind of a nostalgic thing. And did you know that morning shows are referred to in the biz as breakfast television.
Speaker 1: I had no idea, it's true, and we did some research on this. The first morning news show was called three to Get Ready in Philly from nineteen fifty to fifty two. There was one in Cleveland where we grew up, Yeah, called The Morning Exchange that ran from nineteen seventy two to nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 4: Ooh prime years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and the Morning Exchange was supposedly used as a template for a little show called Good Morning America. Oh really, when you were a kid, Mark, would you, because obviously we didn't have the Internet, we didn't have a lot of options that things to watch. Would you grab a couple gobbies and watch the morning morning news with your family?
Speaker 3: Was it on in your house?
Speaker 4: Jonah, you're too old to be saying gobbies. Yeah. No, we always had morning news on. You know, both my parents worked and so from six to like seven thirty in the morning, there was always a TV on in the background and it usually had on Good Morning America. We were a Good Morning America household. But every once in a while, like if I stayed home from school sick or what have you, and you are so bored, you're just watching. And this was before like in my bedroom, I had a black and white TV that was not connected to cable, and it was like a hand me down, hand me down, hand me down from my older brothers. So I had to watch either ABC or CBS. I couldn't even get NBC, which is a huge gap in my development. I didn't get any Cosby Show or any of that stuff I was growing up. I'm oblivious. But I would watch you know, the daytime TV and it would always be you know, game shows, and then at noon on each station would have like the News at noon, but it was more of a talk show, you know, where they have the dogs from the Pound and this week's kid of kid of the Week or month of the week. They even did it for adopting kid and I know it's grim, but I loved it. I loved it so much, and it gave me such a weird feeling like there are retired people and you know, people staying home from work for whatever reason watching this show right now with me. I don't know. It's a hard thing to explain, and I sound like a nut, but I think that really formed me a lot, just watching awkward people trying to fill you know, dead air fill time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, there is something really interesting about how those morning shows and kind of this noon show that you're referencing as well, they're just supposed to be so kind of pleasant and they're just supposed to sort of they seem like they're from a different time even though they still you know, exist, And now there's you know, the Today Show and Good Morning America are so popular, but just that it's supposed to sort of Jonah found this thing that it's called Breakfast Television and it's scheduled between five and ten AM, and it's just a small team of hosts and it's supposed to be for the people who are getting ready for work in school and stay at home adults and parents, and it's just supposed to be kind of like this nice thing to like get your day started, and it just is funny that they have to kind of keep it in a certain tone for so many hours and just sort of it is so funny to go back to your case draws character that like there's just like certain buzzwords they're trying to hit, like pleasant you know, like environment, you know, kids, school, just sort of all of the kind of like local pleasant things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so much of it is just a shill for local businesses, right right. There's a couple morning shows that I'm a fan of one and they're syndicated. One is called The Daily Blend and that you pay to be on to hawk your wares. But they act like it's a talk show and it's syndicated. They have them all throughout the United States. I think they're all Fox. I think it's a Fox thing, and so they act like it's news, but they're just shilling, like, oh, bridal bouquets come down to Kate's bridles, you know. Yeah, but they're acting like it's news, and that's such a I this infotainment yeah yeah, oh yeah, poral that we're in is one of the reasons you know I came up with k Strass.
Speaker 1: Well it's amazing, And I think K Stress also hits on the entertainment aspect because it's like bands will play oh, like you know, they'd be like, oh okay, like Collective Souls playing acoustic today, and then you got to I've worked in the music industry a long time, I think like it's like the worst gig for a band to have to get up early and load in and like no one cares and it's yeah, like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Lacrosse, Wisconsin where I was growing up, it's like free River band and it's just like these guys who you know will not make it, and you know, you have to wonder like they took you know, they took the day off from the railroad and came down to play sure, and it's you get like this incredible snapshot of real people instead of like on Good Morning America, which is so overly or not overly produced as produced exactly how they want it, but produced and it's celebrities and they're all on yeah with local TV, and I watch it to this day up in when I'm filming up in Toronto, there's a good Buffalo station that we get up there WBBZ Buffalo and it's a me TV station, which I usually am watching me TV anyway, but they have programming of their own on there as well. And there's a kid you not a show called Poka Buzz and it's out of Buffalo and it's Ron Dombrowski, I think, is the host, and it's literally each week they're at a different PoCA.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: And then there's Beat the Champ, which is a local bowling show, and you really like That's where I'm most inspired as far as like acting goes. Because I didn't go to school for acting or anything like that. I just watch these people and that's where I get so much of where I'm so inspired is from real people.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of a good segue to just talk for a moment about years ago. You told me about this pilot that you made once that was sort of it was a fake morning show, but you were the only one who knew it was fake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it was. I did it with my dear friend Jason Walliner, who directed Paul T. Goldman and The Last bore at Yeah, the sweetest guy and brilliant, and the idea was ka Stras flipped on its head, so where he hosts a morning show, not kay Strass, it's a different character. But he hosts a morning show, and everyone from the you know, the weather person, to my co hosts to the people coming in for cooking segments, they all think it's real.
Speaker 3: So you still watch these.
Speaker 1: And I actually performed on our local morn show in Cleveland when I was a teenager.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it's perfect for like high school bands and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yep, I played in a band in high school and yeah, I actually I think I told the story another podcast, but I actually was working at Kids r Us at the time and I said I can't come into work or didn't show up, and then I went on the news.
Speaker 2: And played you said you were sick, right.
Speaker 1: I said I was sick. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I definitely didn't say I'm going on the news.
Speaker 3: I was just like, I can't come in.
Speaker 1: I made up some excuse and then I came into work the next day and they were like, Jonah, why we saw you on the news and I was like, oh yeah, and they were like, I think I kind of got fired. But I didn't really realize at the time because I was like seventeen or eighteen, and I was like, didn't really there. I was like, oh yeah, sorry, Like so what's the schedule for next week? And they were like, yeah, you're You're like not on the schedule anymore. It's like okay, cool. Like years later, it's like, I think I got fired because of that.
Speaker 2: Maybe right right right, sounds like that's what happened.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so so Mark, you still kind of watch some of these shows, and obviously this has been kind of this reoccurring theme in some of like your your own projects, and so I find that really kind of interesting that you explore that dynamic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's endlessly fascinating and hilarious. To me, nothing is funnier than the reactions of real people, right, Especially the way I do it, or the way that I think it's the funniest is if I'm the moron and they're just reacting to this moron. It's never me trying to really, you know, make them feel like idiots or anything like that, just because I wanted all on me, like I want to be the idiot. And so yeah, nothing is funnier to me to this day.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, great, well we're going to take a quick commercial break. But we'll be right back with Mark Crooks, and we're back pretty short break home Mark.
Speaker 4: That was really short. I got ye two maybe three breaths in. Yeah, yeah, wow, it's quick.
Speaker 3: It goes quick past.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to play a game. Now, do you feel ready for a game?
Speaker 4: I am ready and willing. All right.
Speaker 3: It's called legit moan or unnecessary grown.
Speaker 4: Legit moan, unnecessary grow.
Speaker 1: And basically this segment was inspired by a now defunk column our local paper growing up, the Cleveland pain Dealer, the Cleveland Plane Dealer and every Vanessa's going to make fun makes fun of me every time I mispronounce something, so I can see her face just getting ready from the Plain Dealer, Plain Dealer, Thanks, thank you. And they had this segment called Monday or Not segment. They had this article now like feeling so nervous.
Speaker 4: Well, it's nice to have a sister there cheering you.
Speaker 3: Nice. Nice to have a supportive sister.
Speaker 1: Yes, they had a recurring column I guess you would call it called Monday Moaning. We used to read it every Monday, and basically the paper would print these extremely petty complaints that the readers had and we always thought they were super funny as kids, and there's an archive of them online, so we found three of them. They're from ten years ago or more. If you think these are legit complaints, you can say it's a legit moan, or if you think they're unnecessary, it's an unnecessary groan, and we'll vote on each one.
Speaker 4: Love it?
Speaker 3: Okay? You want to kick us off fantasy, you can kick us Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll read the first one. The first one is from someone in Lakewood. They don't say their names, they just say where they're from in Ohio. This person said, my complaint is about the severe storm warnings on TV. All you hear is the loud warning sound slash beep throughout the program. When it comes to the commercials, all you hear is the loud commercial. They don't have the storm warning interrupting them. With all these bad storms these days, the advertisers and the money they make should be the ones to worry the worst.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, Mark, what are your thoughts on this? Do you understand it first time?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well, that last sentence is a bit James Joyce in what their argument is. I get what they're saying though, because I have thought the same thing. Why do these only run during the TV shows and never during commercials? Yeah, that's said, I think because the answer to that is because they're trying to make money, right, right, so they can keep putting on these shows. So I'm going to say unnecessary grown, Yeah, don't you just take it a step further you understand the situation?
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I agree with Mark. This person is sort of saying they think because the advertisers are so rich they can afford to buy ads, but then have them completely inaudible. I don't know if that goes for all the advertisers if you're a local business. I think there's a lot of generalizations happening here. And I think if there is a storm, right like, it's during the show, and then the commercials aren't that long, and then you get back to the storm warning, so I think that's fair.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Vanessa?
Speaker 2: I agree. I think nobody goes, oh, commercial's on now, the storm must be over, And to be fair, usually there is some kind of a like ticker thing at the bottom of the screen that says there's a storm warning going on. So you know, this person should know that without these advertisements, they wouldn't be able to watch this TV station for free, so I think they need to you know, maybe chill fair enough. And I call it also an unnecessary grun So we're in agreement now, Joana, you want to read the second one.
Speaker 1: Second one. This is just from Cleveland. I looked at a couple of cars. I liked what they had, but the car start at thirty two thousand dollars. Who can afford a car that costs that kind of money? And then the price goes up and up. Somebody's laughing all the way to the bank. Mark, what do you think about this?
Speaker 4: I think it's an unnecessary.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: I mean you can find cars under thirty two thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also that's a very specific number. You know, maybe the Audi's and sure Beamers aren't in your future, right, and you can find a perfectly nice Hyundai or Kia. Yeah, unnecessary groan all the way. Okay, this actually pisses me off. I'm so angry about.
Speaker 3: This, Vanessa. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: I would agree with Mark. I think this person started out first of all, maybe don't start your complaint with I looked at a couple of cars that's not really a complete sentence, you know, to start something with. But anyway, hey, Bud, look at a couple more. I think if you just looked at two cars, or around two cars, and they were above your price range, go somewhere. You know this is this feels like an insane complaint to me. It's just if this person had written in and said the car that I like, the prices have gone up so high, and name specifically what brand, and like what they're you know, that complaint makes more sense to me. This one just I looked at a couple of cars. I liked it, but they start it's it's we weren't there with you, Bud. You gotta give us the specifics and also you got you gotta do a little more looking before I think you send in this complaint. So I'm calling it an unnecessary groan. Jonta, what about you?
Speaker 1: Well, I did a little research on this, and thirty two thousand dollars in twenty ten, which I think is probably when this was written, is about forty four thousand dollars today. Okay, so let's sugjust it for inflation. But I think you're right. I think the principle stays the same. Yeah, It's like there are cars at different price points. I don't know if these manufacturers are quote unquote laughing all the way the bank because these more expensive cars probably cost more to make too. You know, they probably similar margins. So I think you can find a less expensive car. And so cars are expensive, but you know, they're one of the most expensive things you buy. You have it for a long time, hopefully you enjoy it, and hopefully you know, you shop around and really take your time making your decision.
Speaker 3: You don't just look at two cars and then just just give up.
Speaker 4: Also, was this person in a deep coma car prices have gradually increased since I've been alive. Yeah, right, all of a sudden you stepped out and they went from nine thousand to thirty two thousand. Yeah, I'm just sorry. This is really upset me.
Speaker 3: Way person finds out how much college costs these days?
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, bokay, Well, somebody's laughing all the way to the bank. And it's certainly not the Plain Dealer because they have to print stuff like this.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't even think they exist as an independent company. I think they're part of Cleveland dot com. But that's for another day.
Speaker 4: Make sure you bring me back for that.
Speaker 2: Pick you back for that day. Okay. So this last one is from someone in Broadview Heights and they said it is shameful that young women choose to wear shorts and spaghetti straptops to church on Sunday. Some of these girls are with their parents. Parents, speak up and teach your children to respect a place of worship.
Speaker 4: Mark, what do you think, Oh boy? I do have an issue with adults who dress like they're at sleep away camp when they go to the airport. Okay, I have an issue with that. Have some self respect kids. You know they're expressing themselves. Yeah and yeah. As an adult, we think it's silly. If it really crosses the line. Sure, you know I'm gonna go with moan. You're legiti, moan, legit, legit, because I feel like this one isn't so cut and dry, and I feel like I've seen too many people wearing baseball hats to funerals to not speak up. I guess I have to admit I wrote this letter at any rate. Okay, that's my choice.
Speaker 2: My opinion on this is I would agree with you if your interpretation of it was correct, which I'm not saying it's incorrect, but I guess I sort of am. This person starts by saying it's shameful that young women choose to wear shorts at Like they're not talking about just young kids like dressing casually or formal places. They're specifically targeting young women meeting and I think they mean girls and teenagers and how they're you know, they don't think that their standards for like what's appropriate and not appropriate is okay. And I just got to say to this person too, the fact that these kids are going to church every Sunday, like give them, let them wear whatever they want, Like that's so good that they're like willing to do that. And also they're going with their parents parents. Some of these girls are with their parents. The ones that aren't with their parents, really you should really give them credit because they just went on their own. Like, I think this person needs to chill out and just be so grateful that these kids are even going to church or you know whatever. You know, I guess they said church, so I won't I won't broaden it to other places of worship. But that's my take is that this person needs to just chill Jonah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I think that we're, you know, getting in this territory of having kind of an unreliable narrator here. And I think this is a very judgmental. And I bet you if we saw what this person was so worked up with it, like, oh, these are just like normal looking people in regular clothes. Yeah, but I've got a feeling that this person's going into it with more of a kind of old school attitude. And I find the tone to be so patronizing. Parents speak up and teach your children to respect a place of worship. It's like, you know, it's very The tone is tough for me because it's very judge Yeah.
Speaker 4: Can I have a rebuttal?
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 4: I agree with both of you actually on this. It did hit a nerve with me about parents not settying a good example of proper attire for certain situations. Shorts to the church, sure, spaghetti strips, whatever. Yeah. For me, it's you know, wearing the baseball hats or just looking like.
Speaker 2: A ripans to a future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know it is.
Speaker 1: You know, Mark, what you said up at the airport is interesting too, because it seems like, you know, flying used to be much fancier and you know now it is what it is, and it's there's a lot of delays and stuff, but it does seem like there's like a memo sent out like ten years ago it was like everyone, you can just wear pajamas now and now just.
Speaker 3: Like that's what everyone does. And it was not like that when we were kidding.
Speaker 4: No, not at all. And you know, I'm not one for like certainly not conservative, but you fly in Europe and you see people at airports over there and they're they're you know, they're not dressed up, but they don't have on, you know, gravy stained Bart Simpson sweatshirts and you know, right cut off sweatpants. I don't know, I just I feel like I have a little self respect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I get what you're saying. So I think, yeah, I get that we've touched on something that yeah, it's really bugging you. But I understand where the sentiment is coming from, because this was like a big kind of a big kind of shift and it can feel jarring.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, yes, And yet I hope neither of you ever sees me in an airport. They absolutely look like I rolled out of a garbage can.
Speaker 4: No, that's okay. You get a pass.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mark. Well, it looks like we're mostly in a we met here and to anyone who is offended by me kind of lightly burning the Cleveland Plain Dealer, they did it to themselves. Okay, Mark, thank you so much for doing this today. We had so much fun having you on. I know I just did a perfect transition, really cool, great segue. But we just had so much fun with you and for our listeners, they where can they find more? Mark Crooks?
Speaker 4: Gosh, I have nothing going on on cinema, which I do with my bodies, Tim Hidecker and Greg Turkington. We're always working on silly stuff. Great. Great, Thank you guys for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Mark.
Speaker 2: It was so fun to have you, and thank you to everyone for listening. If you enjoyed this, please subscribe to the podcast and keep an eye up for next week's episode of How Did We Get Weird, where we will discuss more stories from our childhood and cultural touchstones like local morning shows. Thank you again, Mark, so fun and honestly just such a treat to get to talk to you so much about. Oh, thanks, things that we're obsessed with
Speaker 3: That you do