Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 1: We wrap up a very busy few days for big bank earnings with Goldman Sachs reporting this morning. Bloomberg Intelligence senior analyst Dallison Williams tells us what investors will be looking for.
Speaker 3: The important thing we'll be looking at is trading. How is that holding up on a core basis, you know, versus some of the competition. What are they doing in terms of buybacks? And then aside from some of these impairments and sevens costs, what's the core run rate for expenses? They had set out sort of an ambitious target at Investor Day, they reaffirmed that, but not going to do that anytime soon. So I think that's the question, is one can that get sort of closer to their target.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg Intelligence senior analyst Allison Williams says revenue from advising on M and Day transactions is poised to slump thirty five percent.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Nathan, it was quite a day on Wall Street for Goldman rival Mark and stan Lee that bank stock search more than six percent after CEO James Gorman said the worst is over for the industry's downturn in trading and investment banking.
Speaker 4: I do believe it's bottomed.
Speaker 5: Every ceo I'm talking to has tilted to a more forward looking pasture. So I think deals will stock getting done. Whether they happen in the back half of this year, I'm not so sure. It might be, it might be next year that it comes to It will definitely be. It will be during next year when we see it, if not this year.
Speaker 2: And Morgan Stanley CEO James Gorman made the comments in an interview with the Bloombergs and Ali Basik. Here more of that conversation in just a few minutes.
Speaker 6: Well, Kary.
Speaker 1: The earnings continue to roll in, with twenty companies in the S and P five hundred reporting today, and Bloomberg's John Tucker joins us to look at two of the big ones.
Speaker 7: John and Nathan Tesla reports After the close, Investor is going to be looking for more details on the much delayed cyber truck. They also want to know about how a series of price cuts cut into margins. They did make dramatic cuts of as much as twenty nine percent of their best selling model. Tesla's stock is up one hundred and thirty eight percent since the start of the year. The adjusted earnings per share estimate is eighty one cents. Streaming giant Netflix also reports after the close. The expectations there are high. A crackdown on passwords sharing manlet to a jump in subscriptions. Companies add subscription tier may also show some promise, and Netflix stock that's a sixty one percent year to date. In New York, I'm John Tucker, Bloomberg Day Break.
Speaker 2: All right, John, Thanks well. Shares of Carvana are down about eight percent in early trading. The used car retailer surprised investors with a last minute change to its earnings plans. The company now intends to release second quarter results before the market opens this morning. Carvana did not say why it moved up the release, which was previously set for August third.
Speaker 1: In the UK, Karen, we have an encouraging reading on inflation this morning. Let's get that from Bloomberg's U and Potts in London. Good morning, Ewan, Good morning, Nathan, and Karen.
Speaker 8: Britain's inflation rate has finally dropped blow eight percent, the pound falling this morning after CPI in the year to June came in at seven point nine percent, better than economists were expecting and a shop drop from the previous reading. Core inflation also dropped, but is still at six point nine percent, a level which the Bank of England and UK consumers will find far from comfortable. But head of the Bank's meeting early next month, investors are today pairing back bets on a shop further shop fall, a further shop rise in interstrates in London, Immune Pot's Pimberg day.
Speaker 2: Break all right you in, thank you well. In political news, legal pressure continues to mount on former President Donald Trump. The first pre trial hearing has been held in the classified documents case against him, but there's still no word on a trial date, and Bloomberg's Ed Baxter has the latest.
Speaker 9: Trump's attorneys do not want to date set now and potentially to be held off until after the twenty twenty four election. Judge Aleen Cannon did express some skepticism about that, as well as the government's arguments now. Setting a schedule for coming months is usually an uncontroversial step on a typical trial, but this is not a typical or usual proceeding scheduling Trump trials continues to get more and more complicated as the cases against him mount. In San Francisco, I'm at Baxter Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 1: And there's one more case aid. The State of Michigan's filed charges against sixteen Republicans who put themselves forward as alternative electors for then President Trump in twenty twenty. This came on the same day the former president said he's been told he's a target of the Justice Department investigation into January sixth, all.
Speaker 2: Turning to the White House, Nathan, there's been a major development that could affect US China relations. The Biden administration has officially cut funding for the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Now it's a facility at the center of the COVID nineteen lab leak theory, and Bloomberg's Amy Morris explains from our ninety nine one newsroom in Washington.
Speaker 10: Bloomberg News has obtained a memo in which the Department of Health and Human Services formally notified the Wuhan laboratory of the suspension and that it is seeking to cut it off permanently. An AHHS review raised concerns that the facility, based in Wuhan, China, where COVID first emerged, is violating biosafety protocols and is not complying with US regulations. This is so far the most drastic action taken by the US over the lab's failure to share information into COVID's origins. The Wuhan Lab can contest the suspension and proposed department in Washington. I Mamy Morris, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 1: Okay mee, thank you. Finally, there is no end in sight for the heat dome that's been making the South for weeks. Phoenix, Arizona, has had nineteen straight days above one hundred and ten degrees. That's the longest streak since nineteen seventy four. It could keep going the rest of the week. It's supposed to hit one hundred and fifteen in Phoenix today and one hundred and sixteen tomorrow into Friday. Let's take a look now at some of the stories making news in New York and around the world with Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Michael, Good morning, Nathan. More potential locations are being investigated in the Gilgo Beach serial killings. Authorities in South Carolina and Nevada are looking into property is owned by the Long Island men accused of murdering three women and dumping their bodies more than a decade ago. Rex Hureman is being held without bail on suicide Watch. New York investigators scoured his home, where they've already retrieved more than two hundred guns. The Texas Department of Public Safety is investigating allegations that state troopers were ordered to push back those attempting to cross the border, including children, into the Rio Grande and Eagle Pass, and deny people water during extreme heat. US Congressman Greg Kassar and other lawmakers are blaming Governor Abbots border security policies, pushing.
Speaker 11: Kids back into the water, putting razor wire around buoys to create drowning devices. This isn't just illegal, It is not just wrong. It is something that the federal government has the ability to stop.
Speaker 6: Governor Rabbit's office defended the barbed wire and other safety measures, stating in part, Texas is deploying every tool and strategy to deter and repel illegal crossings. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin says an American soldier crossed the demilitarized Zone from South Korea into North Korea.
Speaker 4: One of our service members who was on.
Speaker 6: A tour will pu Ley and without authorization, crossed the military demarcation line.
Speaker 4: We believe that he is INDPRK custody.
Speaker 6: The soldier, twenty three year old Army Private Travis King, was apparently expected to be sent home following two months in a detention center when he fled a possible break in the cold murder case of Tupatchakor. Police searched a home in the Las Vegas area in connection with a nineteen ninety six feetal drive by shooting of the rapper. He was lost for months, adrift in the Pacific for more than twelve hundred miles on a disabled catamaran with no way to cook and no source of fresh water but the rain. But Australian Timothy Shaddock with his dog says he was rescued this week by a fishing crew.
Speaker 12: Look, I'll always be in the water, you know, I don't know how far out in the ocean, and again I'll be you know, But I think I'm I just love love.
Speaker 6: Nightshet Shadick said at one point he expected to die. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalist nanalysts over one hundred and twenty countries. I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Nathan.
Speaker 13: Thanks Michael.
Speaker 1: Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update. Here's John Stasha.
Speaker 4: Thanks Nathan. Wild Night.
Speaker 13: In baseball, twelve teams scored ten or more runs, Corney the Elias Sports Bureau. That has happened before, back in ninety four eighteen ninety four Minnesota, Cleveland, the Dodgers all scored ten times. The Cubs went for seventeen. Arizona won in Atlanta sixteen to thirteen, and three games finished eleven to ten, including the Mets in white Sox in City Field. Didn't look like that would.
Speaker 7: Happen two to one.
Speaker 14: Swinging a fly ball Santie left center field.
Speaker 13: He got another one who Ron Avarez.
Speaker 14: Two run shot with a twenty one year older rounds the basis for the second time tonight. The Met's taking eleven four lead on Alvarez his nineteenth hall run of the.
Speaker 13: Year, WCBS so eleven to four, seventh in in Chicago, then closed within one twice had the time run on.
Speaker 4: The Mets held on to win.
Speaker 13: So all this scoring, and then there are the Yankees, who had two hits on a five to one loss of the Angels, the Yanks eighth loss the last ten games. They are fifteen and twenty one since the Aaron Judge toe injury. They played this afternoon, having already lost this series. It's the fourth series they've lost in July, all four against teams with sub five hundred records. Golfin England Open Championship one hundred and fifty first edition teen off early tomorrow morning at Royal Liverpool. Last time he was held there in twenty fourteen, Rory McElroy won that, and though he hasn't won a major since twenty fourteen, he's the betting favorite this week. The United States, not surprisingly the betting favorite to win the Women's World Cup soccer for the third time in a row. Begins tomorrow. The US takes on Vietnam Friday in New Zealand. John dash Hour Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 7: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco.
Speaker 6: Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Syrias Exam, the Bloomberg Business Appen Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. Have we reached bottom? In trading and investment banking. The CEO of Morgan Stanley, James Gorman, thinks so. In a conversation with Bloomberg Shanale basse At, Gorman discussed investment bank activity and finding his successor after he recently announced he does plan to leave his position. They also dug into new capital proposals and how those could affect the US banking system. So let's listen.
Speaker 5: In fourteen years, is it's a long time to do anything and to run a global bank and deal with all the changes that are going on in the world. You know, it's important for organizations to refresh. So I think it's certainly a very long time to be a bank CEO, and everybody's going to find their own agenda. My focus is on ensuring that this place does well over the next ten and twenty years. To do that, you need to give the next generation a chance, and they will do things differently and they will grow the place in a way that I might might not have imagined.
Speaker 4: So it's exciting, it feels right.
Speaker 15: What criteria is the board using to choose a new CEO? I mean, it's a big open question on whom I take over next you've said there are three candidates, how do we think about who the next person is?
Speaker 5: Well, I think you've got you look at a whole range of criteria. The first and obvious one is that they're good at running businesses. And you know, when I took over the job, I was actually running the smallest and worst performing part of the company, but we were turning it around. So the board wants to know they're good business leaders. But the other qualities which every institution, be it educational, government or not for profit or public companies look for in leaders its endurance, resilience, strategic sense, communication skills, all the obvious stuff that you'd expect. And fortunately we've got three fabulous candidates. They're all internal and they all have great business skills. And now the board has, you know, the opportunity to figure out who's the best to lead Morgan Stanley for the years ahead the Morgan sane that we're going to become.
Speaker 4: So I think they can all do it.
Speaker 15: If you think about just how much Morgan Stanley has changed and the investments you've made in wealth management, investment management, and frankly, the idea here that the profitability of the wealth manager is just through the roof and frankly a lot more than you're seeing even in institutional securities.
Speaker 4: Does it make more.
Speaker 15: Sense for the future leader to come from some of those growth areas well.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to get into speculating, which is, you know what I'm sure you'd like me to do. But the board doesn't look so much at how a specific business is performing. They look at again the enduring qualities of the leader and whether they have the kinds of skills you need to lead a complex global institution. And as I said, all three of the people we have internally are terrifically well equipped. They're great people, they have great respect for each other, they have terrific values. So you know we've got an embarrassment of riches as well.
Speaker 15: I'll say, how do you focus on culture during this transition? How do you ensure that whoever doesn't get the job stays on board? Is that something you worry about?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 5: Really, no, I think you know we've worked together for I think with this team plus the other senior leadership people like Sharona Shire, our CFO is on the call, Eric Grossman, our chief legal officer, Carol vincent Green, who runs internal audit We've had a very significant leadership team working closer together for a long period of time. What matters about cultures. You share the same values and we share the same value. There's no there won't be the drama that people perhaps look for in succession around this particular one.
Speaker 4: I'm convinced.
Speaker 5: I think it will be relatively seamless, and I think it will lead to a great outcome.
Speaker 15: Now we have to about the numbers here, because Wealth Management two hundred billion dollars in net new money for the first half of the year, and it's quite breathtaking. It's certainly nothing to cry about here. How much of this is a function of the dislocations in the market the business that you've taken on from First Republic or Silicon Valley Bank, I.
Speaker 5: Would think I don't know exactly, but my guess is less than ten percent related to that. So ninety percent related to just the change in the business model that we've put in place over the last you know, fifteen years, and that business now led by Andy Sepstein, have figured out a variety of ways to grow client activity, whether it's through direct through the e trade platform and the digital bank, whether it's through the workplace, which we did first with Solium the acquisition, then the e trade workplace, the advisor lay channel. We've had very low turnover advisors, and we still seem to be the place of choice for many of our competitors financial by So it's the beauty of it is it's no one single thing. This quarter it was a bit more advisor driven than it was last quarter, but all of them are contributing.
Speaker 4: That's why I think it's going to endure.
Speaker 15: When you look at the stock price on my way over here, it was up more than seven percent. You're on track to have the best performance in trading right after and early's released in your tenures certainly of not history here. So what do you think investors are latching onto when they look at today's numbers?
Speaker 4: I think I should retire right today.
Speaker 5: Isn't this the moment where you drop the mica or something?
Speaker 4: Then who's in the c Yeah, I know that's not going to happen. Nice try Oh listen.
Speaker 5: We had some big movements in the stock when it was very low back in twelve and fourteen and sixteen, twenty twelve, fourteen, sixteen, No, but today's big. But it's just reflective of the fundamentals are really strong. Our capital ratios. I mean, we'll see when all the banks reported were close to the end of the major banks, but I'm pretty sure we've got the highest capital levels of any bank, any major bank in the US.
Speaker 4: The net new money.
Speaker 5: Numbers your reference are obviously evidence of growth, and now dividend is four percent or close to it. So combination of really high conservative capital levels, obvious organic growth within a couple of core businesses, and very high dividend yield for what we do. I think the investors sensibly look past what's been going on in the market recently. You know, IPO activities obviously down, m and A activities down, Some of the fixed income trading was a little more muted. None of that matters, right, strategically, that doesn't matter. That's a point in time. Market sentiment that will change. Deals will get done, companies will go public, people will trade. So I think the market sensibly looked at the big picture items and said, yeah, the rest of the stuff will just come, and that's why we're trading the way we're trading.
Speaker 4: It was a great clean quarter when you look.
Speaker 15: At investment banking trading advice when do they come back and how robust will that activity be?
Speaker 5: Well, I think I don't know when exactly. I do believe it's bottomed. And we were just talking before we got on air. You know, I've been to in the last couple of months Australia, Japan, Saudi, France, England, Ampstin, I mean, and all over the US, and every CEO I'm talking to has tilted to a more forward looking pasture. So I think deals will start getting done. Whether they happen in the back half of this year, I'm not so sure. It might be, it might be next year that it comes to It will definitely be. It will be during next year when we see it, if not this year.
Speaker 15: James, what does all of this mean for headcount? You've booked more than three hundred million dollar cost tied to severance packages, but it seems like headcount is starting to stabilize. Do you think that a rebound in some of this activity means that you could bring more people on or do you still see more cuts in some areas?
Speaker 5: Not really, I mean, we we laid off about eighteen one hundred people last December, and we knew that was an optimistic view and I said to the team, if by April things haven't turned, we'll have to, unfortunately do it again, and we ended up laying off another three and a half thousand people. Now, against that backtrop we've had attrition I think is running almost fifty percent what historical rates are.
Speaker 4: We've got eighty three thousand employees.
Speaker 5: We bought two huge companies each Trade and Eat Advance, and we guaranteed everybody their job during COVID, So headcount was, if you will, artificially high. I regarded this as bringing us back to what the normal run rate should be. I don't think we're going to add to that. I mean, one of the beauties of this business it's very scale driven. If you do a few more trades, you don't need more people to do it for the same client. So no, I think we're about right with headcount right now. But obviously you know we're we're we've got fiducial responsibility shareholders deliver returns, and we watched that carefully.
Speaker 15: You know, your views sound fairly rosy. I mean it sounds like you are pretty sanguine about the direction of travel here across different business lines. Earlier, this week's Secretary Treasury. Yellen had told us that she believes that there might not be a recession.
Speaker 4: Do you agree with that view?
Speaker 5: Well, I've said publicly for over a year I thought the probability of recession was low, and if we have one, the magnitude is likely to be relatively modest. So I've been sort of between probability low, so likely we don't have a recession, and if we do, it's not going to matter that much. And I think things are playing out that way. I mean, Chairman Powell said it. You know, it is possible to have self landing, right, It's been done. I think six of the last eleven rate increased periods. I believe I'm right in saying that there've been self landing. So it's not a given to have a recession. With unemployment where it is, inflation now coming down under four percent, unemployment still under four percent, decent economic growth, stable markets, the banking system balance sheets are strong, and consumer balance sheets are okay.
Speaker 4: That's a pretty good backdrop.
Speaker 5: Now, some industry sectors obviously hurting more than others, but you're seeing it in the earnings this quarter. The earnings are not really bad, they're not great, but they're not disappointing.
Speaker 15: So then what keeps you up at night to the extent that anyone thing can derail kind of this progress in the economy, What would it be?
Speaker 5: I mean, the real macro hashue, if you step back from it, is the China US relationship. The GDP of those two countries I think is forty percent of the global GDP. They're very dependent. We're very dependent on China. China is more dependent on the rest of the world, frankly for trade.
Speaker 4: So that's sort of the tipping point.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's an existential one, which is the US to faulding on its debt. That didn't happen. It's insane that we should even be having these discussions. But thankfully they got through the charade again. But what really matters is US China geopolitical relationships for global trade and economic expansion, and within that. You know, you've seen Secretary Blincoln and now Secretary Yellen in the last month, both going there. We're getting to a more constructive tone. So you know, but Chanelli, honestly, after all the years of doing this, I don't worry a lot at night.
Speaker 4: I mean, stuff happens, and you deal with it.
Speaker 5: You have a strategy which is designed to carry the company forward for a decade or more, and you accept the inevitable disappointment sloan the way or the things that go wrong, and that's just part of being in leadership job.
Speaker 15: Speaking of the next ten years, there is something around the corner that has the potential to impact some of the biggest businesses you have, and that is that Buzzle three end game. Sure new regulations in the United States and across the globe that are targeting now fee based businesses, which has become a big part of your business, as well as trading businesses. How do you expect those rules to eventually impact the returns on those businesses?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, firstly, and I'll try not to get too weedy, but the rule hasn't been proposed yet. We've had Buzzer one, Buzzle two, Buzzle three, so I joke finally we're at the end because they're now calling it buzzle three endgame, so I guess we're not going to get four and five. Europe has not even caught up and complied with its own.
Speaker 4: Buzz or rules.
Speaker 5: The US has had a system parallel to buzzle called SECA and all of the banks have come through CCA this cycle very well, so based upon Vice Chair bars speech, clearly they're going ahead with a holistic so they look at CCARM buzzle review that will be proposed in a couple of weeks. I expect it to be pretty challenging for the banking system at first blush. But if you read the speech by the Vice Chair and various other commentary, it is clear that they want input and they're going to need input. There are things that were proposed under the European system that I just don't think are appropriate for the US system, like, as you said, changing the way they measure operating risk RWAs risk weighted assets based on the feed businesses you have. That's completely intellectually counterintuitive to what you want in feed based businesses, which is stability. So I don't see why the US financial system should be dictated by the European regulators, and I just don't see that's where it's going to end up. I think there'll be there'll be a lot of discussion, and my guess is none of this gets implemented before the end of twenty twenty six, so several years to adjust, and we carry currently a two hundred and sixty basis point capital buffer. Our CT one ratio this quarter was fifteen point five percent. Our requirement under seek how is twelve point nine percent. So we are very conservatively positioned in anticipation whatever changes may happen. But again, Shinali, the key is they're going to happen over years. This isn't going to be tomorrow.
Speaker 15: But the changes that would happen would still be under a new regime at Morgan Stanley, would be under a new executive. Do you think that, I hope so the bank will have to make changes around its business lines if these rules were to be as stringent as these.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so. No, we won't change our strategy.
Speaker 5: I mean we'd make adjustments on iwas and parts of the business.
Speaker 4: But no, it's manageable.
Speaker 5: It's just I'm separating is it manageable from is it the right thing to do? And I don't think the US economy is what matters here. And for the US economy to thrive, we need a strong banking system led by the largest banks in the country, and we should determine what is the right capital structure of our banks, not have it determined by some other body outside of this country.
Speaker 4: In the national interest, we should do it.
Speaker 15: That old saying that if you squeeze Wall Street like a sponge, the activity will move elsewhere. And a lot of your rivals have said that they're very concerned about the activity moving outside of the banking system into the non banks. Do you share that concern And what are the risks that are emerging that are maybe going unnoticed.
Speaker 5: Well, there's always you know, if you pressure the regulatory part of the industry, it will move to the non regulated part because they don't have the same capital charges that we have.
Speaker 4: So yes, that is a real risk.
Speaker 5: And in fact, and again not to get too weedy, but it's something called the supplemental levertrature, which simply takes the amount of capital you have on the size of your balance sheet, basically hurts you for carrying a large balance sheet, even if it's all treasuries and you participate in the treasuries market to provide liquidity to the broader financial system.
Speaker 4: So yes, there are consequences from decisions.
Speaker 5: And that's why the regulators sensibly have asked for and we'll ask for a very long comment period and they will get vigorous comment from me and from others, I'm quite firm on this. We don't need a complete redo of the capital system here, and we'll make the cases to.
Speaker 4: Why that's so. James, what about you?
Speaker 15: What does life after Morgan Stanley look for you? Do you think you'll stay in financial services or consider a career somewhere else, perhaps politics.
Speaker 4: No, I'm very happy with my life. You know.
Speaker 5: My focus is on handing it over to my successor and making sure they have what I described as the cleanest plate possible. So as many of that, we have a few remaining issues that I want to work through and get those cleaned up. And probably based on my experience, I can handle some of this stuff more easent than somebody's starting day one.
Speaker 4: And after that, I don't know. I'm Australian. I'll spend a little time with my family there.
Speaker 5: I'll obviously keep working in some capacity, and I'll teach you a little bit.
Speaker 4: And you know who knows the beauty of life is.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of things to do, so I'm embracing that, enthusiastic about it.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning, starting at five am Wall Street Time, on Bloomberg eleven three to ohero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 1: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot com. I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak