Speaker 1: As a lead fifteen to ten touchdown. So what's up, guys. Welcome into Charges Weekly, the final one before training camp. We are six days away as always, joined by Matt Money Smith Mondy mid July. NFL content is tough. People are really really stretching it. We have Madden ratings, we have bench start cut, you know, all these things that have nothing to do really with football, and that's all gonna go away next week.
Speaker 2: It is. We're less than a week away as we record this on a Thursday Wednesday, we'll be out there. Daniel Jeremi actually gonna fill in for Petros because he is out at Media Days and DJ and No I'll be doing the show one from nine to noon live from training camp. So I'm guessing we'll get a lot of folks out there, and then I know you and I gonna do the pod right after that, so probably gonna get a lot of folks as well. And this is our last installment a Chargers Weekly, where some would say we're vamping, we're struggling to find content, but I feel like it's been a good run. We've addressed a lot of things. Today It's gonna be fun because clearly we're gonna do a little training camp primer, little roster primer here for the people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, you know, we were in front of a few things. You know, this running back thing is really blown up this week because the franchise was take on Barkley and Josh Jacobs. Austin's been more vocal about it. So you know we were on this, you know, about a month or two ago with with Austin situation. And you know week four circle that against the Raiders. Is Josh Jacobs even going to be a Raider or is even going to be on the field.
Speaker 2: To me, yes, they're all going to be on the field as a running back. And you know, all of this coincides and dovetails with Lev Bell saying he should have never sat out the year because you learn quickly that it's it's unforgiving. It is and for whatever reason, the financial dynamics surrounding this particular position right now are not to And I get it. I understand why they're upset. If you're Josh Jacobs, You're only twenty five years old. You'd just led the league in rushing with double digit touchdowns, and the offense did not have a lot else going and you're seeing DeVante Adams making nearly three times what you're making. And I understand, but sitting out games is not the answer. Now, they can sit out all of training camp because they haven't signed their franchise tag yet and not have any penalties. But the idea that you would walk away from a one year, ten almost eleven million dollar check, to me, just doesn't It doesn't jibe. If I'm Josh Jacobs, I go out there, I bust my tail, I try to put up another year like I did last year, and they'll be a ten million dollar a year offer for you out there come next season, and you can go wherever you want because the Raiders aren't going to franchise you a second time. So I suspect he'll be out there. It does appear as though they're trying to figure out if they have any sort of leverage, and unfortunately for them, I just think the answer is no. You know, the NFL has decided that premium positions are edge rusher, offensive tackle, quarterback, wide receiver, you know, And I'm sure Travis Kelcey and George Kittle have and Mark Andrews have the same sort of complaints that they're making half of what the top flight wide receivers are, and they're putting up better numbers, and they're more important because they can block. You know, in the case of George Kittle, you busting his tail blocking guys when he's not catching passes. So we're always going to have it. I feel like a big part of it, too, Chris, is that the media has really seized upon it and has has chosen to make this a story beyond the displeasure of the players themselves. And so it's and look, it's not going away. It's going to be a major story through camp because Saquon's not going to report. We'll see Tony Pollard seems to be fine, he signed his franchise tag, and it sounds like Josh Jacob isn't gonna report. So it's going to carry through training camp.
Speaker 1: It's not fruitful to not take the money. Take the money, and then you table this to next year, and that's when you talk to your un and you figure out what can be done at that running back position at some point in the next CBA. You know, I think Zeke did it best and I saw this somebody wrote this that he held out after his sat third year and right, that's how you have to do it. Now, if you want to get paid his running back, you're going to have to be on the offensive and get and hold out early in your the first contract that you have if you want to get any swell payday.
Speaker 2: And I think for the people that are directing their ire and displeasure at ownership or front offices, general managers, whomever like, don't forget that contract for Zeke did not work. These contracts rarely work out by the time they get paid and are rewarded for their production. Rarely. You know, Derrick Henry is an anomaly that his contract has been able, and you could even argue last year not great. So it's that's the problem is history and precedent is not on their side. These contracts rarely work. Christian McCaffrey's a unicorn because of what he can do in the receiving game and how important he is Toyle. He's almost more important to kast Shanahan than a quarterback. So there's it's a little ridiculous to say that, but you could make the case of all the quarterbacks of Kyle's been able to plug into his system. They all work, you know, by brock Perty mister irrelevant worked went eight to zero in the regular season because a lot of the production came from Christian McCaffrey. So don't forget that. And then the other thing I would say is just always keep in perspective what the generations before you did to afford you this lifestyle. You know you're going to make ten million, you know, Austin Eckler got a four year, twenty six million dollar deal. Walter Payton never made more than two million bucks in a year. He's the highest paid player in the league at eight hundred grand a season at one point, and he's in the conversation as the greatest football player in the history of the game when you think about all the things he was able to do at that particular position. So I think it's important to figure out all of the hundreds of millions of dollars that these teams are making and how it's being divvied up, and hoping that these guys that when you're Josh Jacobs and you got three hundred and forty touches, and even when you don't touch the ball, you're expected to pass pro and pick up You know, a linebacker that's flying at your neck. Yeah, they deserve to be compensated. But ten million bucks, ten point three million dollars, whatever it is for a single season, take the money man, cash that check and take it from from Mark Davis and the Raiders and go play some football and then hopefully next year you can get that deal you're looking for.
Speaker 1: It's great segue into contracts as a release to the Chargers, and you know, we'll get into the position battles and the depth chart and all that good stuff. But number one question at camp day won is going to be justin Herbert's contracts. Tom's gonna get asked that several times, so we'll coach Staley, so we'll justin and we wait. Right. It's it's really both he and Burrow that are kind of angling to see who's gonna get that first contract. Maybe maybe the other doesn't want the first contract right to get a little bit more. But this is gonna be the hot topic of camp money. Is Jessica Herbert going to be locked in for the long time? We know he's going to be. It's just a matter of one.
Speaker 2: I think for Look, I'm hopeful that it gets done before Wednesday. I'm I don't know whether or not that'll be the case. As much as we love Justin and believe he's got a chance to be the best player in the league. And I don't say that because we're doing you know, Chargers Weekly and and you know I'm able to do the play by play for the Chargers. He's he's at one point in his career going to be the best player in the league. I believe that. But the idea that he's going to get a bigger contract than Joe Burrow right now, it just doesn't line up. You know, Burrow's been to a Super Bowl, Burrow's been to multiple AFC Championship games. The numbers are similar, if not, you know, maybe better last year for Joe. So I think the idea that you would wait so you can top Burrow's number just doesn't jibe. And I know agents people forget it's not just the player, it's the agent, and the agent wants to get the historic contract to show to Drake May and Caleb Williams and whomever's coming out next year. Hey look what I got for her. I got Herbert more than Burrow. You want to sign with me, you know, so I'm your guy, And that's something to remember. I would love for the Chargers to just hopefully it's not egregious and unreasonable, and there's something in line with Jalen Hurts, who just went to a Super Bowl and finished second in the MVP voting, that they can get this thing done. The longer you wait, the more expensive it's going to be. What do you want? It's hopefully right and step you know, here's what Jalen got. Where are you at? And let's get this thing done.
Speaker 1: It's always been talked about as if it's a formality going. It's a formality. It's going to happen. It's just a matter of when, and you hope it's at the beginning of can so you know, you don't have to talk about it anymore. You know. I give Tom and Austin credit for getting this thing done before Mini camp, you know, so there's no issues and there's no questions about contracts and late July as opposed to just playing ball before we get into some of the on field stuff. Money. We love Karen from Diehard Bowl Club, she heard you about the Navy T shirts last year. She heard that it was a little too hot. Cook.
Speaker 2: We love the Diehard ball clubs.
Speaker 1: So they they went ahead and ordered the dark blue anyway, but they ordered two for us. She calls them VIPs light blue, light blue. So we're gonna get too, Karen. iHeart Bolk Club T shirts next Wednesday. Karen is the best.
Speaker 2: Yes, appreciate you. Karen loves sports on Twitter. Yes, and I think Instagram as well. Same thing. Appreciate her, But how about take care of your people as well. You guys are out there every day. You're looking at Jack Hammond as wall.
Speaker 1: Listen. They mustn't like the Navy. I want some white. They must like the Navy.
Speaker 2: And perhaps it's because I am not partial to the Navy uniforms. We've been through that here. I know the players like them, I know the diehard Bolk Club loves it, but I am not a Navy guy. I believe the Chargers. I've said it, you know, and it's a very unpopular opinion, but the best shade of blue for the Chargers is Royal blue. I have long held that it's you know, age and frame of reference of course play into all these things when it comes to nostalgia, but just that Dan Fouts era late seventies early eighties of Chargers football and Air coriol and just the most exciting offense on the grid iron is what did it for me. So to see the Royals is what really gets me moving. But of course the Powders you can't beat. So thank you, Karen, appreciate it. I will wear it proudly.
Speaker 1: The catalog is excellent, right, and I get you know, the fans who grew up with Philip Rivers and lt and Gates with those and the Navy. Hell, the Super Bowl team, that six team that was probably the best team in football. They should have won a Super Bowl, So everybody can kind of harken back to the time where they kind of fell in love with the Chargers. So I respect all the Navy, the Navy fans, but the Chargers got it all. You know, the white all white is beautiful, the powder blue you can't beat, and then the Royal blue is managers classic. So money, let's uh, let's start on the field. Uh, which position battle are you most forward to? Uh? To watching and kind of seeing unfold the veterans, like it's fun to see Keenan and Mike and Austin and Justin. But really I think these first two three weeks and really most of camp is about like identifying who's going to be the new guy to contribute to this team and make a meaningful impact.
Speaker 2: Well, there's two there's two conversations that we'll have right. One is starters, position, battles. The other is roster can instruction the back end those final two to three spots. So in terms of positions, there isn't much right, there's really honestly, there's two that we're talking about. It it's going to be wide receiver three. And who's going to be that third corner?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: I think under the assumption that J. C. Jackson is healthy, that's the question. Is the third corner going to be? And look, there's I don't think enough people are bringing up the idea that JA C. Jackson might play that maybe the slot is his best position because of how big he is, how strong he is, and how important it is to be a good run defender at that slot corner spot, you know, and whether or not it makes more sense to have. So there's so many things at play, I'll start there. I'll start with the corner, right because everybody is discussing is it John Taylor, is it is Sante Samuel as the slot corner, assuming that Jac is going to be healthy and he and Michael Davis are the outside corners. So now, because we saw John Taylor on against some teams that ran the ball, that were heavy runt Tennessee San Francisco, you saw a lot of job out there at slot. Because he's a bigger guy, he tacked. He's probably the better run defender than a Sante Samuel, certainly not the better cover corner, but the better run defender. He played really well on the slot against Miami, you know, with the scheme that Brandon Staley deployed to try to slow down Jaylen Waddle and Tyreek and whomever they were going to put in the slot. So that's why that's been a topic of conversation for a lot of people. And you're probably gonna have a lot of the Jeff Miller, Lindsey theory, Daniel Poppers, They're all going to be writing about that in camp. How many snaps did joh get in the slot? How many snaps did as Sante get I think the other thing to keep an eye on is whether or not we're going to see jac Jackson, if he's ready to go from day one, get some inside and you might have Michael Davis, J. C. Jackson in the slot and a Sante Samuel on the outside. So that to me is the number one that's the number one battle. It's the way that And look, Brandon will tell you nobody plays a specific style of defense anymore. Every every coach is going to tell you they're multiple, and that's this is four three, and now we're in a three four, and now we're in a six to one, and now we're wide nines and it's not just umbrella coverage and two high safeties. That's just pre snapped the skies and before you know what, we got one of those safeties in the box and maybe there's six defensive backs out there. There's so much of that. I bring that up because you're gonna be looking for players that can play multiple positions and can move post snap and fill in as a safety, as a corner, as a run support corner. So all of that's going to come into play. But to me, that's that's even more than the third wide receiver that corner. The way the corner room sorts itself out to me, and look, I didn't even mention Derwin in the slot like that. You're gonna see Derwin in the slot as well, and that'll get to the other position battle Chris, which is safety. But to me, that's the number one and much of it is predicated on the status of JC Jackson and whether or not he's ready to go health wise at the start of training camp on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that maybe the number one storyline in terms of health, Like is jac Jackson going to be ready to go and practice in late July yet alone? Like I know you wouldn't put him in a preseason game, but like, is he medically cleared to go and be ready for Week one against the Miami Dolphins. But we forget It's easy to forget because he had a rough start the preseason and started the season had that surgery. But he had sixteen interceptions over two seasons with the Patriots, like the most in football. Like we regard him as like maybe the best corner in the NFL coming in to this administration last year. So if jac can just be close to what he was in New England, that's gonna work. Wonders for your secondary and the fact that the job got that run last year as a as a late round draft pick, The fact that you can move Durwin everywhere. Michael Davis maybe the most underrated corner in the NFL. The way he played last year was incredible. You know, we remember Asante's three interceptions, but you know we talked about him going out of that game in Jacksonville and how that really hurt the Chargers, but Michael Davis was just rock solid all year long. H excuse me, it's it's a transition to safety.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna hit that real quick, Chris. I think that's important to remember too, right is you're don't don't get fooled by draft status.
Speaker 1: J C.
Speaker 2: Jackson was undrafted, Michael Davis was undrafted. So the idea that that a Sante is a second rounder and John Taylor is a sixth or fifth or sixth rounder, don't don't let that affect what you think is going to be the depth chart, because you're talking about the two best corners that are solidified and will be starters if they're healthy, or Michael Davis and j. C. Jackson two guys that were undrafted. So don't forget it. Well, you know Sate was the second rounder, John Taylor sixth round. Maybe you know that's that's gonna play. That's gonna play into it. No, it won't. It won't. The best guys are going to play.
Speaker 1: I feel like DZ is kind of reading our minds here. Do you think there's a shot for either Aj Finley or Tyler Baker Williams to supplant the previous UDFA safety Raheem Lane. Seems like both guys had good collegiate careers. He's right, he's going deep, deep, deep into the depth chart. But this is this is that example. A guy like Tyler Baker Williams, I think he played at NC State played I think I read that he played in the slot, played safety. You know, if one of these guys pop all of a sudden, you have another body in the secondary that you can rely upon special teams, maybe play that John Taylor role. In twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be really hard to unseat Raheem Lane. He is a coach fick and favorite, And the reason he made the team last year is because Fick and wanted and thought he was going to be one of the best special teams players, and turns out he was. It's really good and he is a lot of those things that that was a Devin you said, who asked the question? Uh, DZ, DZ, Sorry DZ. That DZ is bringing up. You know, Lane played both corner and safety at IU. Lane was I don't know if he was the IU Special Teams Player of the Year or the Big Ten Special Teams Player of the year, one of those two. So that's what you're talking about with that spot. When you've got Derwin, J. T. Woods, a Loie Gilman that next spot and it's going to be a battle. The only other player I could see is ahead. Remember, there's a reason why Finley went undrafted despite the ball production, the sort of the knocks on on Finley coming out of Ole Miss were doesn't tackle well, okay, Well, now you're talking about a safety that with all the issues with against the run, someone who why didn't he get Okay? Why was AJ Finley not drafted? One some taping issues to some diagnosis issues, you know, and being able to respond as that last line of defense and take angles and figure things out. So if you're going to YouTube and typing in AJ Finley and you're seeing and they're beautiful, I mean, some of those interceptions are incredible. That's what you're seeing. What you're not seeing is the reason why he wasn't drafted. So look, he's clearly an exceptional athlete. The guy was a starting safety at an SEC school, had a pick six against A and M, had an interception, had a brilliant special teams play that ended up scoring a touchdown against Alabama in his career. So yeah, this guy's got some splash plays, but it's everything outside the splash that leads you to be undrafted. So the other guy that I would keep an eye on is Mark Webb, just because he is that hybrid. He can play safety, can play corner, you can play slot corner, play outside corner, can play high safety, can play box. Safety's very versatile. Get all of that at Georgia and we saw him do quite a bit of that in preseason games as well. So to me, that's that battle for that fourth safety is going to be Raheem Lane versus Mark Webb. And I would put aj Finley as someone who's trying to crack into that battle, you know, and he's going to have to show that he can make up that ground because I would say Lane is the favorite Mark Webb is because he's dealt with injuries. If Mark Webb could stay healthy, that would be a heck of a battle for that fourth safety and that you know, fifty first, second, third spot on the roster.
Speaker 1: We've heard the coaches be really high on Mark Webb. It's just the oh yeah, juries. Man, he hasn't been able to stay on the field. The gap between I think fans, if you're going out to jack him with Sports Complex next week, is j T. Woods is the guy that Money and I have talked about. I think, since you know, March and April about a guy who we want to see take that next step. The gap between he and a Lohi Gilman, I think is pretty wide at this point. And I feel comfortable with Derwin and Alohi as the starting safeties. I think Alow he has really found his groove and Brandon Staley's defense. I think Brandon stalely trusts him. I think Derek Ansley trusts him. But the gap between JT and a low heat Money, how far do you think that is for JT to get meaningful snaps this year?
Speaker 2: Well, to me, it's it's not necessarily a JT. Woods versus a Loie. I think let's just think about Week one in Miami and what we think Brandon Staley would like to do. When you look at the way Miami lines up, you don't have a lot of thump. You got a butt ton of speed everywhere, is what you're talking about, So you're gonna want both. In a perfect world, you got both JT and Ae Looi playing high, you're playing quarters umbrella coverage, and you've got Derwin out there with Jah with you might have six defensive backs against Miami and one linebacker is what you could be talking, you know, or you could be talking five, one linebacker five. It's if I had to guess, I would say, ask Brandon Staley what he'd want. He wants Kendricks out there as just a single linebacker. He wants j T and a lowie up high, and he probably wants Derwin in the slot with with j C and and Mikey Davis and and a Sante sam you know, so like that's that's probably in a Sante Samuel. That's what we're talking about. You got four guys up front and and and a lot of defensive backs because you got speed everywhere, and we know he wants to keep everything in front of him, make him have ten play drives no explosives. So that's to me, it's not necessarily Kenny unseen to Lowie. It's Kenny play next to him. So Derwin can play slot corner, Doran Drwin can play star and you can really change the look of your defense.
Speaker 1: To be like we said.
Speaker 2: So Brandon Staley wants to be. He wants to be. He wants to have this sort of not the Amoba defense of New England. That's that's probably the wrong term. But he wants it to look one way pre snap and be something completely different after the ball is put into play. And and that's where JT can really help if he can be that second safety playing up high.
Speaker 1: It was it was poorly worded by me. I should have said, no, no, I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: The gap between being a backup in meaningful snaps, whether it's next three throwing or or you know, actually playing and making an impact for this team as a third round pick last year. I have.
Speaker 2: But I bet it's a good point, Chris, because if he plays up remember that's not gonna be every game. Every game is going to be different based on me. They're playing right. Week two is Tennessee you've got Derreck Henry. You're not gonna be able to play like that. So that's it's gonna change or whatever. Week three is a week two or week three, whatever Tennessee is, it's Minnesota, it's Tennessee. They're all, yeah, so that game plan is going to change. And now you're talking about, well, can JT be the guy that's up high because he's such a good ballhawk and and he's able to, you know, do some things different that maybe a lowie doesn't excel at that JT does. So week too, it's just gonna look different. It's gonna you know, against Tennessee, it's gonna be Eric Kendricks and Kenneth Murray out there. So that's that's kind of where your point comes in, like what's the gap? Can he be? If there's just one guy a pie? Can he be that guy? And we'll find.
Speaker 1: Out by the way, DeAndre Hopkins now gonna be in that game against the Chargers. Sorry for scrolling over here, I'm just trying to get to these questions. This is from Anthony Money. What position group are you more comfortable with? On depth, we'll stay on the topic of safety or tight end.
Speaker 2: Well, probably tight end, just just because there's some certainty there. Gerald Everett had had his best season last year, played great against Jacksonville and you know, came out as as a solid Why tight end, you know, I think and and there's there's issues with blocking certainly. They you know, neither Parum or Everett would be considered plus blockers. They just need to be average, They need to be good enough. I think Trey McKitty is what they want. Is there a fourth tight end in there in that battle? But Stone Smart I thought played well in moments in spurts last year and I would say he's got the edge over camp Moyer. I'm looking at the depth now. Azike out of UCLA as an undrafted free agent, you know, you can throw him in there as as that three way battle if they want to carry four tight ends. So I'm not I'm comfortable with Everett and Parham being one and two as long as McKitty can kind of take that next step. So that's that's all right to me. It was tight end versus safety. Right safety. We don't know what j T. Woods if he's going to have a role. The guy barely played last year as a third round pick. So that's a big concern to me.
Speaker 1: Jeff asked, why have we not signed one of the blocking tight ends still on the market. It was a liability last year, especially in the running game. So you mentioned Trey McKitty. They're really kind of counting on him to be that guy. Could you see them ad a blocking tight end or really maybe maximize the offensive line and Kellen Moore's scheme and maybe that is the difference this year.
Speaker 2: Well, it's you know, that's that's probably where zeke comes in is you know, I'm looking at I just want to make sure I got as measurables right because I remember seeing him think he was eighty six on the Bruins. He's a big guy, so he's he's six five two forty one. And we know that DTR Drian Thompson and Robinson ran the ball a lot. We know what kind of chip Kelly. You know, Chip Kelly for all of the explosive offense that people think of when they think of Chip Kelly, he wants to run the ball like it's it's a running based offense for the most part. Is that's where everything starts. It's not an airt out offense. So he was someone who had to block a lot. So I would guess that they're hopeful that that maybe he can come in and provide a little bit of competition for Trey. So when you get into your third season, regardless of where you were drafted, you got to start to produce. If you're not producing and you're a liability, then that's where you could see one of the tight ends out there. It's just you know, when you get into it and I'm trying to think who's out there. I know Rudolph's out there. You know, when you start getting into some of these guys, there's a reason why they're still out there. You know they're they're perhaps they've passed their prime, and you've got to decide whether or not a past his prime Kyle Rudolph is a better option than a third years. He's starting to figure it out Trey McKitty. So that's the stuff that they'll start balancing out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Chargers don't need another pass catching tight end, right you know, if parm stays healthy and Gerald ever does what he did towards the end of last season, you know, money this morning, I was thinking more about the offensive line and a lot of these guys are the same, but there's movement right. So right what intrigues me is where Jamari Sawyer is going to go on the right side, right guard? He played fourteen games at left tackle last year. He played across the line at Georgia. Zion's going to the side next to Rashaan and Lindsley. So you would probably think that that side is the more dominant side. But we saw what the Chargers did bringing back Trey Pipkins. Trey played through a lot of pain last year and he played really well. And you know he works out with Duke Mannyweather along with Rashaan. What's he going to look like this year? Is he gonna be even in better version? And is Jamari Sawyer that side of the line. Are they going to be able to hold up in key spots during the twenty twenty three season.
Speaker 2: Well, like the I like the offensive line group. You're looking at four tackles, four guards, two centers. You know, Slater Pipkins, Foster Serell that they were happy with his development last year, talking about the former number one offensive line prospect in the in the nation when he was coming out of high school, goes to Stanford just trying to figure it out here at the next level. They like Zach Bailey a lot, so you know, I think the tackle what he's kind of that is he gonna make it or not? Not not sure. He was spent some time on the practice squad last year. Interior. You know, they drafted Jordan McFadden, so you've got him right behind Jamari Sawyer and they drafted last year. And of course then you're starting guards and in Zion Zion your other starting guard, and then Brennan Hymis, who was expected to kind of be that swing to play someone who played tackle at Nebraska, could play interior, could play a little center, and when he was pressed into action, I think left a little bit to be desired. So to me, keep an eye on some of the guys they're bringing in on the offensive line and perhaps the highmest spot could be up for grabs. But you know, to me, that's it's a good group. There's I feel comfortable will clap. Obviously it'll be on the roster as the backup center, So that's something I wouldn't be surprised to see. If you know, they try to figure out is there's somebody else in here that we could groom to be a backup center as well, and maybe that you save it there someone who's the guard slash center. So that group looks pretty settled to me. I think it'll end up being your starting five slater Johnson Lindsley saw your Pipkins, and then obviously McFadden whom you just drafted will clap as your backup center, Foster as your backup tackle, and then it's is there a battle for highmus and Bailey with some of the other guys they brought in Austin Pleasant, size Weaver, Nick Melstop. Like those sort of guys, can they supplant one of them as that second third, you know, swing behind all those guys?
Speaker 1: Feel good about the offensive line you mentioned at the top. Another battle is that wide receiver three battle, and I guess that's gonna be Joshua Palmer versus Quinton Johnson. We know Keenan Micah are one in one a here in LA. I'm just excited to see Quinton Johnson what he looks like, especially early in camp. But I think josh Palmer has been a little bit forgotten this offseason just because of the excitement, the deserved excitement about Quinton Johnson coming in and eventually being maybe a potential star here in the next few years. But Joshua Palmer's development and his work ethic man, what he does after practice with Justin Herbert, and how he's leaned on Keenan Allen. I really think that that's to serve him well in his third season. And I would not be surprised in the least if if he starts as the third wide receiver on this team and we kind of see how both of those guys play. I think both guys are gonna play a decent amount during the regular season. But that'll be a fun kind of wrinkle to observe during preseason games.
Speaker 2: It'll and it's gonna change throughout the course of the season.
Speaker 1: Sure right.
Speaker 2: It's so you've got pretty much five guys that you feel like if Jalen Geiiton is healthy, and that, by the way, that's maybe the one to keep an eye on. That's not like it's a it's a big money deal and they can't afford to move on from him. They like Jalen Geiiton. There's a rapport between he and Justin Herbert as a deep threat. He's got legitimate four to three speed, So just go through the five. We know the five that are gonna make it right, Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, Josh Palmer, Quentin Johnson, Darius Davis because Davis is your punt returner and probably, like we said, it's gonna get some of those sweet motion you know, just bubble screens because of his his speed and his escapability. So then it's is it Jalen Geiton. Is he the six because they're going to carry six? Is he the sixth guy? Or is he going to get a challenge from someone like Poke Wilson, you know who flat has has incredible splash plays. And to me, like you know, we were we were talking on Twitter about Denzel Mims yesterday, right, and you think about he got there guys. Yeah, Well, and look, I think for people that are upset that the Chargers didn't get him, considering how little the Lions gave up a twenty twenty five to seventh for a conditional sixth, and I mean, like, there's it's nothing, right, it's absolutely nothing for a former second round pick that's six foot three four three forty guy. But so any team could have bested that, right, They could have given him a twenty twenty four to sixth and they would have bested that deal, and no one was willing to do that. So clearly front offices see something on the tape that they're not comfortable with.
Speaker 1: And that's why we talked about mows before they even drafted Quentin Johnson no money, like we were talking about memes before the draft.
Speaker 2: So it just with Yeah, it lines up with what they with what they like. They like big receivers and they need speed. So Denzel is six three and has legitimate four three speed, So it just lined up with and that's perhaps where and you know, it goes so much more beyond. And now I bring it up because maybe the tape for Denzel shows that doesn't really look like for three speed when you watch them. It's for someone that's supposed to be that fast. When you go back and watch it, you just would like to see a little bit more separation and and a little bit more. Hey, quarterbacks, gotta throw the ball to me because I'm wide open. I got two steps on this guy, and that's just there's not a lot of that with him. I bring that up because when you watch Poke Wilson, guys always separated from and it's college versus the pros, right, So, but you're talking about someone who's going up against caliber of athletes in the ACC against Miami, against NZ State, against wake Forest, like against so against Clemson, and you're seeing this dude with two three steps on corners, and so that's an interesting one to me. The measurables and the forty times aren't what you would want for a burner man. You just watch you watch him on the field and he just looks fast. It looks like he is constantly two three steps ahead of guys and they're hawking the ball downfield and he's wide open. So that to me, when you're talking about the sixth wide receiver, kind of interesting. Yeah, And I'm wondering, based on the injury and where he's at and his recovery, if maybe that spot could be up for grabs.
Speaker 1: Last night money, this is Poke Wilson was put on the non football illness list, So he's gonna be I think, maybe behind eight ball a little bit to start.
Speaker 2: It's gonna make it tough.
Speaker 1: Then it's gonna be a little a little tough, make it tough. But this was last night, So uh, that's obviously developing at this point. Jalen Geiton, I think the silver lining to a terrible injury as it happened in September, and you know, hopefully he's he's as close to one hundred percent as he can be. But the wide receivers, the position man charge fan's gotta be feeling good about it because we're not talking about, Okay, who's gonna make the team beyond three, four and five. You actually know who the guys are gonna be. It's just a matter of what order and and how that shakes out throughout the course of the regular season. You know, running back, I remember sitting down with Joshua Kelly last year and he just he looked good. It's very hard to uh gauge how a running back looks on the field in preseason because it's you know, even when you have the pads on, you're not bringing guys to the ground. I think we have a pretty good idea of who Joshua Kelly is at this point. Isaiah Spiller is a different story, and those those preseason games and those scrimmages are really gonna tell I think what the Chargers have in Spiller in his second year. You mentioned this last year. He was the youngest player drafted in twenty twenty two. So when you come in the league at twenty years old, you have a lot to learn off the field. You have to grow into your body, and maybe this was a good first year for him to really get his feet under him and compete for a spot.
Speaker 2: Now that room is set, I don't think we're really going to see any change. The only thing is are they going to carry a full back in horror bath? Do they want to bring him back or would they prefer to put a running back into that spot if you know whether it's And I watched some tape on each of them, Elijah Dotson out of Sack State and Northern Colorado and Tyler Housman out of North Dakota, and I think Northern Iowa was where he was before that. So it's interesting Dotson when you when you watch him and and look those two guys, they're gonna have to make their bones on special teams. But I'm just saying to think about Austin Eckler's path to being one of the best running backs in the league. When you watch Dotson, like his ball skills are crazy, it's he's running wheel routes where he's hand fighting with safeties and tracking the ball and making one hand catches as a running back, as a pass catching back, and and you know, level of competition is important to to measure, but just in terms of his comfortability catching the ball as a running back, and he's he plays a lot bigger than his size. The other side of that is Tyler Houseman's h hammer, I mean a hammer. He is blowing dudes up and at the same time has breakaway speed and elusiveness. So those two guys will be interesting to to keep an eye. I don't think they make the roster unless they decide, Okay, we don't do we want do we want the full back, do we want Xander Horvath or do we feel comfortable pass protection with this slate of running backs and we can put any of them out there. So that's one I would maybe think about that that could be a potential training camp battle that because we know how important Xander Horbeth was on special teams. So that's why that's what all of these back end of the roster spots fifty through fifty three are going to come down to. Can you contribute on special teams or can you be an elite special teams player. You know, they've been looking for Derek Watts since they let him get away to Pittsburgh, and they're hopeful that that Horrvath can fill that and that he becomes that player just one of your best special teamers and someone who can catch a couple passes from Justin Herbert at the goal line and is great in pass protection or when you need that third and one you want to run it on eye formation, someone that can blow up the whole and take on a linebacker and move them. So I suspect it'll be Horvath that's back.
Speaker 1: But he listed to dig into that real quick because Horvath. I feel like every other week fans will either write us a question or a comment about Xander Horvath, and they saw what he did at the beginning of last year and they're wondering, is there a bigger role for him in Kellen Moore's offense because he he showed some flash in spots on offense and obviously on special teams. Do you think Xander Horvath is somebody that they can kind of use in the offense consistently as a weapon there's so many weapons on this offense, but Xander Horfaz having that fullback that can do a lot of different things, you know, it's frankly, I think rare in the league. Now, there's not a lot of NFL teams that have, you know, a fullback do it all full back.
Speaker 2: Again, it's probably more important to not focus on the offensive side, but the special team side that you know that Ryan faken special teams he know was one of the best in the league last year. It wasn't just because JK. Scott could pump the pump the ball through the roof. Now, obviously that helped a lot. There were a of fair catches, but you also had really good special teams play from John Taylor, Dean Leonard, Nick Neeman, Xander Horvat like so that's and that's where they missed Derek Watt. You think about how it got away from them on special teams and these returns, explosive returns that they were given up, and a lot of that was because when you looked at NFL special teams tacklers, Derek Watt was first, Like he had nineteen to twenty five special teams tackles every year and would lead the league in that category. Now Nick Neeman is up there, He's one of their best special teamers. Chris Rump is a really good special teamer. So in terms of Whovat, if he can just replace what Derek Watt did, that's all they need. I mean, he was a It's such a small piece, but man did they miss him. And they had been looking for him with Gabe Neighbors that didn't work out, and now with Xander Horvat they're trying to find him. So if he can just replace what Derek Watt was able to give them, that's a huge win. I don't think the fans need to worry as much about hey, can he catch? He's not going to be Kyle Yuschik.
Speaker 1: He looks like Mike Stott. I don't know if he's Mike al Stott, but he looks like him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And look, he was a running back at Perdue and he ran and ran the ball, you know, so it's I get it, and Mike.
Speaker 1: Alstott went to produce.
Speaker 2: So there you go. I mean, I get where that connection is made. But for what the Chargers need best not best case, but floor can he be that Derek Watt level special teamer. Hit the hole, blow it open for for Eckler or Josh Kelly when you need a third and one, especially on the goal line, or can you be that you know, play action, you're leaking out into the flat, Trust you to catch the ball and you can walk in for a couple of touchdowns every year.
Speaker 1: So I think we hit the offense pretty good. I'm excited to see Easton Stick get more and more reps during the preseason as the backup quarterback to justin on defense. Let's touch on the defensive line and linebacker quickly. Eric Kendricks obviously a new face, so it'll be fun to see him in powder blue. We've talked about a big year for Kenneth Murray. What do you see in that linebacking corps again, I think you're right. You're gonna see a lot of a lot of personnel where there's one linebacker on the field and it's probably Kendricks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I want to direct people to Chargers dot com. Our our friend Eric Smith, who writes over there is the head writer. Did a did a thing with Jeff Howard, their new linebackers coach, And I'll tell you what when again, this could be out of context. I don't know, but I'm just reading the answers and you know the answer to what have been your early interactions with Kenneth Murray? Very gifted being drafted as high as he was. There's a lot of physical talent, effortful both on the field off the field, meeting room, intelligent guy, great communicator. I'm excited to be able to work with Kenneth. As for Dan Henley, who was drafted in the third round, your thoughts, I was very high one of my favorite linebackers in the draft and surprised he was available when we drafted. I mean, it's it's three times as long the answer, So there's again I could be interpreting something that's not there, but it's three sentences on Kenneth Murray. It's one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven twelve sentences on day on. So again, don't don't be too surprised. I know draft status is important and it sticks to you, and that's why Kenneth Murray's going to continue to get opportunities, But don't don't get too attached to it, because the linebacker coach certainly is pretty sweet on day on.
Speaker 1: Kendricks is the new guy. Murray is a guy that you want to see take another step. But Henley, I mean, his personality is in ins and I know he's going to make an impact on special teams. But man, wouldn't it be something if he could contribute defensively and just be that piece that they didn't have last year. They could do a lot of different things because he's just a freak athlete.
Speaker 2: Again, you know what I read the quote. I'll just I read a little bit of it. Things that stand out with me when I watch a state how physical he was. That's the first thing he goes out of his way to play with the physical mentality. And then when you see his movement skills, I'm just like, this guy doesn't move like a linebacker. His history is a former receiver, played high school quarterback. You see that in his moving skills. It's intriguing. When I met with him, the best word to describe him is intentional, And that's a buzzword for coaches. When they say intentional, that is as high a compliment as they will play they will pay a defensive player. When he was describing his time of where he was at the different schools, the Senior Bowl. What he wants to accomplish. He's very intentional and set goals of what he wanted from his situation, and he's come in here and established the same thing. It's a combo of skill set and character. I am excited about dayon. Take take from that what you.
Speaker 1: Wish he's like positionless? I almost. I don't know if I consider him a I just a chess piece. Right, what did we say?
Speaker 2: You don't know? You think Deyon's ahead a linebacker before snap? But guess what now I'm pushing him into the slot or I'm pushing him up. You're not You think he's gonna be occupying this particular space. No, I'm sending him because he's can track your receiver. He's an athlete. So that's I think that's what we're talking about. And I know that's the thing that we've said about Kenneth is man. When he's when he's right, holy hack, lookout, because he is fast, he is big, he is strong. But it's you got to be right at that level. You've got to be right. And so that's I think where that door could be open, where you could see a bigger role for Henley when by the time the season rolls around and he's rocking the number zero. Right, Yeah, love it.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be love it if you find a scene of a zero run around Coasta Mesa. All right, finally, money the defensive line. We'll start with Edge. We know it's Khalil and Joey's show. The other rookie, Tully Toy Polo two. How quickly can he get up to speed and play this NFL game? Another young guy.
Speaker 2: We've seen flashes from Chris Rump. You know they're going to carry four Edge players, Rump two, Polo two and macin Bos obviously, so we'll see whether or not he can jump in front of Rump, jump in front of Rump early. But Chris isn't going to relinquish that spot easily. He's had great flashes, He's had a couple of sacks. He's an exceptional Special Teams player as well. So that's gonna be a fun battle to watch. They need it, frankly, you know, they really need it, so they I think there's still quite a bit to be desired. The nice thing is that Morgan Fox can be a little bit multiple there and and he can play inside. He could play outside he rushes the passers so well. So you know, I got four edges and six interior, Morgan Fox, Abastian Joe's Day, Austin Johnson, Tito Abonia, Nick Williams, and of course they just drafted Scott matt Lock. So you got those six and then is there seven you know with with Moe and Hinton, David mow and Chris Hinton, whether or not they can kind of crack that rotation. So it's I think it's pretty set. I feel like there's there's ten d linemen and that's gonna be your your ten and hopefully they stay healthy because we're already talking about of those guys Joey Boss of course dealt with serious injury last year, Austin Johnson, Tito Abony. Are they gonna be able to start the year you know or not? And so that's that that could open the door for Moe and Hinting to both make the roster out of camp because Tito and Austin Johnson are.
Speaker 1: Ready to go. You feel good about the depth there.
Speaker 2: If those guys are healthy. Yeah. If if Austin Johnson and Tito are healthy, I do I think they I think we saw you know when they were when they were healthy. It it works. It's to me, it's less about they just need to they need to prevent the explosive run play. That's what gets them. That's what skews the run numbers. It's not necessarily that there's a lack of impact on the interior of the line. It's that every game you would get these forty yard runs, these sixty yard runs, these that's what they have to do a better job of slowing down and that almost is more on the plate of Kenneth Murray, Eric Kendricks than those guys up front. That look, they got to fill their gaps and they're responsible in it. And we know it's a tough defense to learn. We've heard that you're responsible for a gap and a half up front. Some guys are, you know. He asks guys like Joey Boson Khalil Mack to play multiple positions and to think a little bit more than they were used to. It's not just set the edge and go get the passer. You've also got to think about covering and maybe moving a little bit. So it's not easy. But I to answer your question, do I feel comfortable, Yeah, But those two guys have to be healthy.
Speaker 1: Final question money This is from JC comeback season. He's yelling at me. It's an all Caps I where is John Johnson the Third? Is John Johnson the third? A charge I've heard about John Johnson the Third more than most of the guys who are currently on the roster at this point.
Speaker 2: I think it's fair because if there's if you were to list one group that you're most concerned about, it's probably safety. Because we did not see J. T. Woods play much at all last year, and when he did play, it was concerns disconcerting. So I understand where that comes from. And I'm sure if you were to get Coach Staley in a private moment, he would say, can we please get this guy on the roster? So I get it. I totally understand. Again, I don't think there's any rush. I think John Johnson's content to sit around and wait to see if anybody gets hurt. And people always get hurt in training camp. Happens, happens every year, so and I'm guessing he's not in a hurry to get back out to a camp in July and August. In most of these spots where we're experiencing an historic heat wave right now, he's probably totally content to just kick it until week three of training camp and then he can sign an incentive laden deal and find the right spot for him. Look, if I were him, I'd absolutely want to be a Charger. The opportunities are going to be there. Loie. Gilman's in what his fourth year. I think this is Alowe's fourth year, right, yeah, drafted in twenty so this is his fourth season. It's JT Wood's second season. But he better show something. So if you're John Johnson and you show out and you and Derwin become one of the best safety tandems in football, then you're probably gonna rewarded quite nicely at the end of the season to continue to be one of the best safety tandems in football. So I can see it. I can totally see that still being a topic of conversation between Tom Telesco and Brandon Staley, and I'm sure Tom would say, look, man, JT is, he's young, he's just getting into his second training camp. Let's let's let it breathe a little bit and see if he can be that guy. So we don't have to have another veteran on the roster. We can carry another rookie contract and get this damn Herbert extension done. The last thing we need to do is be spending four or five million bucks on a safety that's still out there when we can use that four five million bucks a year for Herbert's contract.
Speaker 1: So yeah, no doubt, you're gonna see a lot of movement with there's a lot of veterans out there. You'll see that movement come in August because these guys are not trying to be a camp for the first two to three weeks for sure. All right, money, the speculation is over. We're going to be a camp next week. We will in person. I'm really looking forward to it, looking forward to seeing all the fans. Shout out to Karen. I'm coming for that light blue shirt. Just let us know when and where. Money will be there to pick it up. And I can't wait to see you guys, Jack having sports complex, any anything else. Money, that's it.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, all right, man, all right, guys for money, I'm Chris. This has been Chargers Weekly. We'll see you next week.