Speaker 1: Lisa, want to kick the soccer ball together? No, thanks, I don't feel like kicking the ball.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get unconfused. What are you confused about, Lisa?
Speaker 1: It's something someone said. I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Well, what do they say?
Speaker 1: They said nobody cares about women's soccer?
Speaker 2: What Welcome to Stories for Kids BI Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. Did you know there are more people than ever enjoying women's soccer these days? All over the world. People are watching the Women's World Cup, which is going on right now. But Lisa is wondering how come everyone doesn't love women's soccer? And is that okay? Is it not okay? Why does it feel not quite right? Let's explore hum, Lisa, I can understand why you're so upset.
Speaker 1: Thanks, women's soccer is the coolest. Women's soccer's magic.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 1: Women and girls are some of the best soccer players I know, Lisa. Given't you score two goals in your game yesterday?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: And I'm a girl, I'm great and scoring goals.
Speaker 2: It seems like we all agree that women and girls are great at soccer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't get it. Why would somebody say that nobody cares about women's soccer.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing is not everyone likes the same sports. I knew that, and that's because people have different interests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it feels icky and sad and like not fair.
Speaker 2: Why does it feel that way? Well, I think it's hurtful when someone doesn't like the sport just because of who is playing it.
Speaker 1: Ooh, yes, that's the reason.
Speaker 2: If you like watching soccer games, you should enjoy seeing boys or girls play or both. Great point, Billy. Anyone can be a soccer champ because soccer is about kicking the ball, not about which kind of person is kicking the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Whoever said that nobody cares about women's soccer might have some old fashioned ideas.
Speaker 1: What's an old fashioned idea?
Speaker 2: Old fashioned it means ideas from a long time ago that don't necessarily fit in today's world. Oh you know, there didn't used to be women's soccer teams at all.
Speaker 1: Oh that's terrible.
Speaker 2: There were even some countries where women weren't allowed to play soccer. I don't like that. Yeah, in old times, lots of sports for mostly for men, to enjoy all. But times have changed a lot. Now Lisa can play soccer or participat in competitions, and women's soccer champs are helping this change happen faster and faster. Billy says, women's soccer is now popular all over the world. You're definitely not alone if you love women's soccer, he says. The Women's World Cup this year has thirty two teams competing, which is more teams than ever, and more people than ever will be viewing it too.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to watch because I want to be just like my hero Samuker, who's that She is a stureiker that's a soccer position that shoots a lot of goals, and she will be playing in the Women's World Cup this year. She is the captain of Australia's national team, the Matildas. The Matildas yep, Sam curR scores tons of goals for the Madildas. She has already been in the Women's World Cup and the Olympics lots of times. Wow, and she likes to do backflips. Sam curR sounds cool. Karen, watch Sam Kurt and the Women's World Cup this year.
Speaker 2: Yep, why the watch together. I would love to watch me too.
Speaker 1: Okay, but first everyone stayed right here.
Speaker 2: I'm grabbing my soccer ball. Who's open, Hey, I'm open? Yes, got it? Kelly, come in your way?
Speaker 1: Got it now?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: Billy?
Speaker 2: Oops?
Speaker 1: Sorry, Billy Billy, You're not quite Sam Kerr. But I still like playing with you.
Speaker 2: Lingo Kids listeners. Thanks for celebrating women's soccer with us. We learned some history and got to see how far we have come. We love soccer and all the people who enjoy playing it. See you at the Women's World Cup. The Lingo Kids team is going to take a break, but we promise it won't be long. You won't even notice it. We will be back and meet you at the same place, same time, on your favorite podcast platform.