Speaker 1: Loot for us.
Speaker 2: If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to SOFTWAB Radio Special Operations, Military Nails and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's going on? It is rad and I have a very special edition of soft Rep Radio for you today. But first I got to mention to check out our merch store. That's where we have all the things that you can purchase and support the soft Rep community and our programs and keep our lights on and the gas fireplace. It's got to have fuel, so keep that going. I also want to recommend our book club. We have soft rep dot com Forward Slash Book hyphen Club. And the reason why I want to talk about the book club and mention that is because I'm talking to author Brad Thor today and also former Red Cell member. Welcome back.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's great to be back. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: You know, it's super exciting to have you. Last time we had you, I think we were talking about Rising Tiger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, last summer's book exactly.
Speaker 3: And that's the story of Scott Harvith, who is a former Navy seal who's turned counter terrorism hunter. Like going after he just sniffs it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just daily works for a private group kind of you know, if you took Triple Canopy or Blackwater and put.
Speaker 4: Him in the intel arena.
Speaker 1: That's what he's doing now, kind of taking contract work from the agency to go out and do some jobs that maybe the federal government doesn't want their fingerprints on.
Speaker 3: And Triple Canopy, just for my listener, may not realize as a contractor element. And the Triple Canopy is because I think they have Airborne Special Forces Ranger Canopy Triple Canopy that's on their own, so they have those three scrolls and that equals Triple Canopy, I think. But someone from Triple Canopy, why don't you correct me down below? Go ahead and comment. Now, let me take my glasses off and zoom in on what I want to read here. So I'm going to read you about this new book that's coming out to follow Rising Tiger. This is a little excerpt off Brathor dot Com went straight to you. So I say it just right, Oh perfect, this is dead Fall Fall. I got it right here on the phone. Okay, dead Fall, And let me just read you this intro and you can go there the story Lethal Operative Scott Harveth is dispatched to avenge the killing of American citizens abroad in number one New York Times and number one Wall Street Journal bestselling author Braththor's new pulse pounding thriller. In the war ravaged borderlands of Ukraine, a Russian mercenary unit has gone rogue. Its members conscripted from the worst prisons and mental asylums across Russia as the most criminally violent, psychologically dangerous combatants to ever set foot upon the modern battlefield. With all attention focused on the front lines, they have pushed deeper into the interior to wage a campaign of unspeakable barbarity. As they move from village to village, committing horrific war crimes, they meet little resistance because all able bodied men are off fighting the war. Simultaneously, a team of Russian soldiers has been dispatched by the Kremlin to loot truckloads of art and priceless cultural treasures hidden away in a host of churches, museums, and private homes. When multiple American aid workers are killed, America's top spy, Scott Harveth, is set in to settle the score. But in a country so vast will Harveth be able to find the men in question, and more important, will he be able to stop them before they kill they could kill again. I mean it, that's it. Yeah, yeah, Scott. So Scott's going into Ukraine.
Speaker 4: Yep. So that's this year's book. You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Francis Fukuyama said that history doesn't repeat, but it does rhyme. And as I watched the Wagner group recruit in insane asylums and real life the Russia at PMC, as I watched them recruit out of some of the worst in Russia out of insane asylums, I was reminded of a Nazi SS brigade that went into Poland at the end of World War II from August to October during the Warsaw Uprising. And these guys were horrific. They were targeting field hospitals with flamethrowers and as Polish soldiers would run out, they'd machine gun them down. They were raping nurses and hanging them on trees outside hospitals alongside the doctors. I mean, some really really bad stuff. And so I was like, oh, this, what's going on with Wagner is echoing what some of the worst SS people did at the end of World War Two.
Speaker 4: So I grew up reading like Alistair McClain.
Speaker 1: I loved Where Eagles Dare was also a great movie with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton. And I'd always wanted to take my guy and put him in a European land war, but that would have had to have been completely fabricated.
Speaker 4: Until Ukraine happened and I thought, okay, this is really interesting.
Speaker 1: We don't want a big American footprint over there, because then the Russians will say, okay, you are officially part of the war.
Speaker 4: So my guy gets sent over.
Speaker 1: They're like, you know what, we may be able to cobble together a couple guys out of the Ukrainian International Legion that you can form a team with, but you don't get to take any of your team.
Speaker 4: Guys from the United States. You are on your own.
Speaker 3: M hm. So has never existed, it's never happened, but you're going never there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're just and basically you got to sign the contract saying that you're actually joining the International Legion. You'll get the ID all that kind of stuff. You are going to be part of that, so that if you get captured or killed. We've got plausible deniability back in the United States, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and how you're talking with this book and with what's going on in the world, and the symmetry between the actual facts and the and the fiction that you write with Scott ok going after almost the facts, right, it's like with you know, I don't really like to date my shows, but it's happening. And the Wagner Group is like supposedly erased from the earth, is what we're hearing from Putin right now, saying they don't even exist. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting because you know, my book comes out July twenty fifth, and a month earlier, July twenty third is when the Wagner Group they said about five thousand truths.
Speaker 3: Oh, June twenty third, that's right, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: So, yes, about four weeks ago that they all marched up and got within I don't know, two hundred kilometers of Moscow. There's rumors that they actually took over a base on the way up where there were nuclear weapons.
Speaker 4: That the Kremlins denied it.
Speaker 1: But you know, all the information we're getting right now, the majority of it's coming out of the Kremlin. We haven't seen progosion. The head of the Wagner group since June twenty fourth.
Speaker 3: Belarus when he went to supposedly Belarus for like you know, your asylum for like.
Speaker 1: Five hours, and then the head of the president of Belarue City have gone back to Saint Petersburg. So we have no idea. We've not seen progosion. We haven't seen the head of the air.
Speaker 4: Force, the Russian generals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of generals have gone missing, but the head of the air Force was a close associate of progosions, so there's a lot of interesting I don't think we'll ever see progosion again.
Speaker 4: The head of Wagner.
Speaker 1: I think the guy's probably room temperature or in a deep, dark, very solitary cell somewhere. But you know, God forbid he gets near an open window or needs something from a rooftop, because the greatest killer of people in Russia's gravity. If you're not in league with Putin, there's no surer death than death by falling out of an open window or off a rooftop.
Speaker 3: Really, really, I mean look at it. Put He prisons his political adversaries like Navaleni. You know who's in h In jail and exactly. You know, it may still be alive, but is in the gulag. Yeah, so you don't.
Speaker 1: I'm still surprised when we hear from navalny. I'm surprised that he's able to get messages out and stuff like that. You would think it would be an absolute and total lockdown on particularly political opponents of Putin's not bad enough to take him in jail, but I'm surprised that there is a complete blackout.
Speaker 3: Well, there was a band called like Pussy Riot, I remember that. Yeah, yeah, right, and they're out now of the prison. They got out. They were in for two years for just like trying to They said a prayer to stop Putin from going to war, I think on the stage monster. Yeah. So he threw those girls into the jail and now they're out and they're all over the place and they're still advocating for freedom. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny because a lot of people, and I'm one of them, i'd like to see Putin taken out.
Speaker 4: I don't care if.
Speaker 1: He goes out on his own accord or if the guy gets an IDEs of march, I don't care. But you know, it's funny when you look at Chavez, when you look at like Mubarik, and sometimes the worst things come.
Speaker 4: To replace them. You know, in Egypt we've got Alcci.
Speaker 1: Now, who's who's worse than Mubarak was Chaves had his issues and actually came out of it stronger because of attempts to push him out. So you you know, you've always got to worry what's going to replace these guys.
Speaker 4: But Putin is just he's a bad, bad dude, really really bad.
Speaker 1: And yeah, there's a lot of good Russian people. It's a good culture in general.
Speaker 4: The I mean, they love the arts, they love ballet, they're very literate, they love to read books. They produced some incredible authors, and I feel bad. I think the majority of people in China are good, but the CCP sucks, right exactly.
Speaker 1: North Koreans are probably wonderful people. They probably want nothing more than to get rid of the just to be.
Speaker 3: Free and like to breathe air and like, you know, yes, yeah, exactly, yeah, just be real. But they don't maybe not, they don't know anything because everything they're fed to them, like you know, media wise, newspaper wise, you know, television wise, radio wise is just one network, one channel, same reporter.
Speaker 1: Which is a big reason. And they want to keep him in the dark, which is a big reason. Putin wanted to take over Ukraine because he couldn't get a pro Russian government and stilled there. So he To have democracy on your doorstep like that is dangerous for an aumocrat. You know, the Russians look at their shitty lives and see what's going on in Ukraine and how democracy and freedom is growing.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: Not a perfect country by any stretch of the imagination. They're still living under a Soviet era hangover. There's corruption there, there's no question, but corruption isn't in the Ukrainian DNA. They got the corruption because they were part of the USSR where corruption ran rampant. So it is a big threat to Putin to have a free and growing democratic state on his doorstep.
Speaker 4: That doesn't bode well.
Speaker 3: Why did he agree to it? Do you think in the nineties when they said, lay, let's separate the nuclear prolifish okay, get rid of your nuclears, why you know, why did he agree to that in ninety three ninety four?
Speaker 1: Well, Putin's been in power for only twenty three years, so this is pre Putin that This happened when the USSR broke up in the state started splitting off. Ukraine had a third of the Soviet Union's nuclear arsenal, and we really did not want those nukes in Ukraine, and we said, listen, you've got to dismantle those.
Speaker 4: We'll help you.
Speaker 1: And in exchange, the Ukrainians said, it's something called the Budapest Memorandum. They said, okay, can you guarantee us if we give up our nukes that we will never lose an inch of territory and we'll never be invaded. And the United States said, yes, we'll sign on to that, and they say, can you get Russia to sign too, and the Russian signed, And then what happened in twenty fourteen Putin invaded the Dombas and used the little Green Men Wagner mercenaries to go Domia Crimea. And so all we did was they got kicked out of the G eight. That's why we have a G seven now.
Speaker 4: It used to be a G eight.
Speaker 1: So Russia got kicked out. There were a few other sanctions and a harshly worded letter from the Obama administration, So it was very similar to trying to placate Hitler with allowing him to take a slice of Czechoslovakia, the Sudentan Land. We thought that would we thought Devil Chamberlain and his colleagues in Parliament and the Brits thought, yeah, back back then there was a thought that that would slake Hitler's thirst for conquest. And all it did was embolden him. And that's what we've seen again history rhyming.
Speaker 3: Interesting, it's true. And so do you feel that Russia moved in with their thought that the Ukrainians were just going to, like, say, come in and take over.
Speaker 1: I think Putin's probably COVID really served to isolate him more and more and more. You know, it's funny, he just did a big public appearance. And I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, but there's been all these studies about just Putin.
Speaker 4: Have a body double. They look at the ear lobes and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: But when you really see Putin, he's got a dead right arm. I mean the arm doesn't The arm just kind of swings loose at his side, and he does everything with the left hand.
Speaker 4: And so this thing.
Speaker 1: After the Wagner guys marched towards Moscow, Putin went, I believe north, to do a public appearance to kind of show strength, and he had the right arm, the dead arm was shaking hands with people on the crowd, and I'm like, I have never seen like, for the last couple of years, I've not seen that right arm work at all. So, you know, there's been all these questions about his Putin sick and you saw the long tables during COVID.
Speaker 4: Where it happens true he was terrified.
Speaker 1: Of COVID, and that's allegedly because he was fighting cancer or whatever was going on. So at the end of the day, I think he probably is sick. He is a full on ravanchist. He wants to gather back those territories that used to be inside if not the USSR, the Greater Empire, if you will. And I think he's thinking legacy, you know. So, But anyway, Ukraine's not on the table for him. He doesn't get to invade a son, a sovereign foreign nation and have everybody stand.
Speaker 4: Aside and say, yeah, that's okay, because it's not. We don't want to live in a world where that kind of stuff becomes okay, because it becomes a much more danger world.
Speaker 1: For all of us, no matter how far away we are, if there's no international order kind of at least basic rules we all agree to, which is where we respect territory, we respect borders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Now with Putin starting the situation, because I feel that it was very unprovocative, It wasn't you know, they didn't provoke it from the you know, you went in to take this over, like you said, under Obama's watch, kind of you know, trickling in there, getting it blowing up the airliner. I just want to remind last Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, they shot down steal a civilian Emmerson just just going home to their parents and stuff, and he's like, stay out of our airspace. He had no remorse for that. He actually said, stay out of our airspace. Really you're gonna I mean civilian airliners. You're trying to make a point. And now he's just you know, hammering down on the entire area. But he has to have an end game. He had to have like some kind of like Okay, if they go with me in peace, that's my end game. I'm now over that and I move into Europe. Or the end game is I have to obliterate the entire nation and what's his win.
Speaker 1: So there is a there is a school of thought in Russia that you cannot have the Russia that Putin wants without Ukraine.
Speaker 4: And I'm blanking on. There's a there's a really good term that I've heard use for this, but basically the concept is is that what Putna's trying to achieve doesn't exist unless he's got Ukraine as part of it. That Ukraine is, you know, Russia, like Moscow is the heart of Russia, but Ukraine is part of its soul.
Speaker 1: There is some old term that gets used for that. So there is a symbolic value. Listen, Ukraine is the bread basket of Europe. I mean, there is a literal value to Ukraine and what you get there Putin obviously by taking the Crimean peninsula.
Speaker 4: You know, the majority of.
Speaker 1: Putin's fleet is iced in in the winter time. There is no way out in the north for the northern fleet. That's a big problem He's got to deal with with Syria to use their port to dock his ships, but to be able to maneuver through the Black Sea and stuff like that. Crimea the peninsula was very important to him, So there's strategic advantage to him him taking Ukraine, but there's also some very long historic symbolic significance to it too, so it operates on multiple levels for him. But none of that justifies it. I give a rats ask if you don't have enough ports and all that kind of stuff, that's not my fucking problems. And that's not Ukraine's problem either, that's your problem. That's a geography problem. So there is no justification. There's all this BS that was thrown around about, you know, the Denazification of Ukraine and all that stuff, which is absolutely ridiculous. Even Pregosion, the head of the Wagner group came out and said Putin was lined everybody. There are no Nazis over there running this country. The president of Ukraine is Jewish, for Christ's sake. So I mean, just it's just the guy's a full on thug. He's an autocrat, you know. And I see a lot of people point the finger at oh Ukraine's corrupt. Well that doesn't justify Chicago's corrupt. I don't want the Canadians to come in and take Chicago. I'm a former Chicago guy and it's corrupt as hell. But that doesn't give anybody the right to take it.
Speaker 3: That's a good way to put it, you know, and a good way to just hear it. In Layman's term, it's like, there is corruption, doesn't mean you can come in and just like I'm here to wipe it out and take over your area. Now, no more corruption.
Speaker 1: People say, oh, Ukraine's corrupt, and then they take Russia's side. You know who's more corrupt than Ukraine?
Speaker 4: Russia?
Speaker 3: Russia. Rush is more corrupt. And it's not even like the it's not even the people, it's the people in charge. You know. It's like the doctor. I saw a documentary on a doctor and he literally has a degree and he works as a doctor, and he lives in like a one bedroom apartment with a bathtub in the middle of the kitchen and it's his table and then it turns in yeah yeah, so he puts a table over the bathtub and he's like, this is how I live, you know, anywhere else, anywhere else, a doctor, You're gonna not have just this one bedroom apartment with a bathtub in your kitchen. But over there they're just so oppressed.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: My father was a Green Beret and I de opress the liver is to free the oppressed, and so you know, I get a lot of that I think taught to me as a young man growing up in and now I'm in my forties, and it's like, you know, you have free will. I think people deserve to have free will. If you want to get a tattoo, you get your tattoo. But if you want to give me that same tattoo, we're gonna have words.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, listen, I agree, And that's been my So while Deadfall is set, my new thriller, we're talking all this stuff about Ukraine.
Speaker 4: While Brant you know, and that's totally cool. I want the.
Speaker 1: Viewers and the listeners to know that, you know, I chose this conflict to really do a very cool war story, to do a thriller and the edge of your seat, white knuckle thrill ride. I've got characters in the book with lots of different opinions, just like I have friends and family members with lots of different opinions about geopolitics, about Russia, about Ukraine.
Speaker 4: My job is to entertain you. I want you to have that white knuckle thrill ride and have a great read.
Speaker 1: The reviews, the early reviews on this book have been absolutely terrific, some of the best I've ever received as an author. And it is easily the most intense book I've ever written, because it is from like end to end, just wall to wall combat and it's all the Murphy's involved and all the things that can go wrong and the fog of war to how do you equip and get the things you need to the people who are at the front lines, all this kind of stuff. So, you know, I wanted to do my saving Private Ryan meets Band of Brothers meets Fury wrapped up and wear Eagles Dare.
Speaker 4: And that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: So this was as somebody who consumes so much of that World War two history to do kind of a modern version of one of those stories. This was this was a lot of fun for me.
Speaker 3: You just are passionate. I don't even want you to stop talking, and even does our listener. No, it's like you should keep going. So so let me just ask you. Let me piggyback on your book Dead Fail. Here. You've got twenty three titles right that are out there New York Times best selling. You know Wall Street Journal talks about you. You have those clips on your on your website, it's Bradthor dot com. If you're just joining us. I'm speaking with Brad Thor right now to my listener, just joining the show. But you got TV, or you got a movie going on.
Speaker 4: Or you know what it's it's we so we have TV. It's said, Well, so we had a we had a sad thing happened this week. So we have a fabulous team.
Speaker 1: I've not been able to put out a press release about the team because the studio didn't want us to say until we landed, like at Amazon Prime or Netflix or whatever. Our writer just passed away on Sunday. Manny Coto, who was a big writer for twenty four American Horror Story, did a ton of stuff for Star Trek, but that twenty four stuff I loved.
Speaker 4: Manny.
Speaker 1: He was just sixty two years old pancreatic cancer. Had been fighting it for about a year. It's really sad. We're all we're all still in shock.
Speaker 4: But we were ready to go out and start having our meetings and the.
Speaker 1: Writer's strike happened, and so because of the writer's strike, we couldn't go and take and do those meetings at Amazon and Netflix and all that.
Speaker 4: You know, paramount. Plus we couldn't do that stuff.
Speaker 1: We had to put a pause on it, and then to so that was already you know, kind of a pain in the neck that that was happening, and then to But it's just devastating to lose Manny because he's just a wonderful.
Speaker 4: Human being, a great writer and got the genre.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is a guy that loves thrillers, he loves special operations, right, he loves the military.
Speaker 4: I mean, this guy bled red, white and blue.
Speaker 1: His family was from Cuba, so this was not a fan of the Communists, you know. I mean, such a great American and to lose Manny was just devastating. So I have not spoken about the TV show out of you know, respect for the process, and I didn't want to let it out of the bag.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to say, here are the executive producers, here's the director who's.
Speaker 1: This massive Hollywood action director for films who's never done TV and is doing the Harvath Books as his first TV project.
Speaker 4: So it's really cool, and it sucks to sit here and have to, like, you know, keep it quiet. But it was tough to lose Manny. So now.
Speaker 1: So now we have to Yeah, so it'll be impossible to replace Manny. It'll be impossible. So he is irreplaceable. So now, once the writer's strike is over, we're back to square one, looking for a new writer, hopefully somebody who is a fan of the books, which I lucked out because Manny was a reader of my books. But now we're going to have to start again with a search for a writer. So it puts us back a few steps. We're in a different place than we were. None of us would have chosen to be here. I would have rather Manny had walked away and said I don't want to write anymore than to have passed away obviously. So that's that's tough if four kids and a bunch of nieces and nephews. So I hope he rests in peace.
Speaker 4: He was a wonderful American and a super guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So sorry about Manny and the loss to his friends in the community, in the industry. You know, he will be missed. So with that, I don't mean to tap into such a like kind of like an emotional can of you know, worms right there. But you know, it's good to hear that the show is on the on the proverbial burners.
Speaker 4: We're We're in the starting blocks, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure that Manny would like to see it go all the way through to the end. And with whoever gets involved to write it with you, he's probably going to help, kind of like shadow that you'll know, you'll know.
Speaker 1: I hope so, and hopefully we'll dedicate the pilot episode, if not the first season. I don't know how that works and who gets to decide that, but it'd be really cool if we just because we want to blow up the very first episode, the season opener, just have it be just this massive, really cool, cool thing.
Speaker 4: It'd be fun, I think, to dedicate that to Manny right out of the gate. That'd be pretty neat. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. That's awesome, But that's not the end of this. That's not the hell of you and me talking. Because Scott Harveth, you know, from Rising Tiger and now falling into the Ukraine, he is I just want to talk about the book. I just want you to tell us more, like what makes you want to write about Scott Harveth so much?
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, I've always said that he's my alter ego, just like I'm sure James Bond was for Ian Fleming and Jack Ryan was for Tom Clancy.
Speaker 4: You know, I joke that he gets to do the things my wife won't let me do.
Speaker 1: You know, she draws the line it's seducing female foreign intelligence agents. But you know, if I say, if I make that joke with an earshot of my wife, she always reminds me that she gave me the thumbs up when I wanted to go to Afghanistan back in two thousand and eight and spend some time over there.
Speaker 4: She was really cool with that.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, your book, I did go three weeks or so? How long?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was over there about three weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know that.
Speaker 4: I know that we might have talked about it before. It was a it was a very cool experience.
Speaker 1: You know, we didn't there was no contact, so I mean, you know, every once in a while you'd hear some gunfire and stuff like that. We never came under anything. You know, we were traveling very very quietly, thin skinned vehicles moving around and stuff like that, and it.
Speaker 4: Was a pretty it was a pretty cool experience.
Speaker 3: You know, you were wearing body armor yourself, you were wearing body art, and we had it.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, you'd wear the Afghan clothes, the Sawa comzi and you'd have the hats no sunglasses, which I thought was really cool.
Speaker 4: The guys were like, yeah, get rid of those.
Speaker 1: You're not wearing those nothing marks shoes a western or quicker than having your shades on and stuff. So these guys were spent a lot of time going very deep into Indian country and so they had kind of their own set of rules and stuff.
Speaker 4: So the the idea was and they asked me to grow my beard. And I'm Scandinavian, so I can get it. I can get it.
Speaker 1: Take me a couple extra same. I didn't go as long as yours, but I got it pretty big and pretty bushy, to the fact that when I tagged up with one of the guys at the airport, I walked right up to me. It didn't recognize me because it had grown so big since they'd asked me to.
Speaker 4: But you know, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I spent some time in Cobble and then out to Jalalabad and some other parts and stuff like that, and it was a very unique experience. I was with some people who really knew what they were doing. I was stunned by how many incredible experiences I had there. They were doing a lot of hearts and mind stuff. It was a lot of developing assets and things like this to gather intelligence. And you know, there was the whole Pashtunwali code, which is if you got invited into the village, you were their guest and they would fight to the last man to protect you if you were their guest. So we did not enter villages where we were not welcome to be where we were not invited as guests. You know, I had some of the best fried chicken that I'd ever had in my life. Side Jalalabad. The food was actually good and it was really really cool. And next to being a physician, one of the most honored professions over there was author.
Speaker 4: So my guys are like, tell them you write books.
Speaker 1: Tell them, you know, we had a turp and all that kind of stuff, and they're like, and they're like, any questions to ask you about books or writing, answer them because they just think authors are so cool. So that was kind of a neat neat thing for me too, was to be able to sit down with just you know, I got to learn the difference between capital T Taliban and small T Taliban.
Speaker 3: Just like you've got, you know, people in what is the difference between capital T and little T.
Speaker 1: So you've got the real devout people who are really in it, who really believe in it, who are the capital T Taliman and then the people that go along to get along that. It's like, yeah, I got a side with the bloods of the crips.
Speaker 4: And it's probably safer for my family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not gonna yeah, yeah, the church really Yeah, So.
Speaker 3: That's what it was, you know what I mean, Scott, I mean I called you Scott, you know what I mean. Yeah, you know, it's like if you go to church, you got those that are capital seas and then you got the we're here at church too, little lowercase sees.
Speaker 1: I went to Catholic school, and we had the joke that you either had the diehard Catholics or you had the cafeteria Catholics that would go through and go, Okay, I like that.
Speaker 4: I don't like that. I'm not taking that. I'll take this, put it on the train.
Speaker 1: You know, there are certain things within the faith for the kind of smaller sea, the cafeteria Catholic friends of mine.
Speaker 3: Certain same with me, raised Mormon here in Utah. You know, it's like you've got hardcore and then I.
Speaker 1: Lived in Utah, and then you've got the Jack Mormon. I mean, I've done some of my best knights in Vegas had been with a couple of Jack Mormon buddies who were in I go out to shot show and bottle service at the club and all that.
Speaker 4: Too.
Speaker 3: It's okay, I am who I am. You know, I'm still a nice person. I still care about you, and you drink water at my porch here you go. Just don't come at me. That's all.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's it, man, if it doesn't pick my pockets or break my legs. Like Thomas Jefferson said, I'm cool with anybody being whatever religion they want.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, you know, And that's what makes us this red, white and blue nation the best nation is you can choose to believe what you wish to believe, right and just not even worry about it. And and I know, you know, people are having a hard time and social media really stretches it out there, you know, they really.
Speaker 4: And so do our enemies too. There is no zone in social media, they and listen particularly.
Speaker 1: That's the other interesting thing about progosion the head of the Wagner Mercenary Group is that he also founded and runs the internet research agency, the Troll Farm in Saint Petersburg that started messing around in the elections back in twenty sixteen and has been an absolute poison injected into our cultural bloodstream here. They love to pressure, put pressure on all the cracks in our culture.
Speaker 3: They want to see stuff.
Speaker 1: They want to turn us against each other, right exactly, the Iranians, the North Koreans, the Russians, the Chinese. I always tell people I think when they say, what do you think is our greatest national security risk?
Speaker 4: I tell them I think it's social media.
Speaker 1: And I know a lot of people that go to where they go either a particular website or particularly people that spend a lot of time on Facebook pages and in certain groups where you let your guard down because you think everybody else.
Speaker 4: Thinks like you, and most of them do. It's a pterrifict place. It's the perfect place.
Speaker 1: For a bad actor to come in and inject disinformation, to get you worked up about stuff that doesn't exist. Then once you go out into kind of the wider ecosystem. It's driven by rage. You keep coming back to certain blog sites and websites and they get all the clicks because they're pissing you off. That's how politicians get you out to vote, is they tick you off, particularly for the primaries. Once you realize that you can be a conscientious objector to the culture wars, it relieves a lot of.
Speaker 4: Pressure and a lot of stress.
Speaker 1: It's okay to say, yeah, I don't have to get involved with this every single day. And if you're pissed, if you're constantly angry, somebody is probably manipulating you. If you are constantly ticked off, you need to take a breath, take a step back.
Speaker 3: And constantly repeating the same verbiage stuff too, like the same trite you're kids, constantly saying something that's like yep, not wanting to be heard by anybody else around you. You're like, did you know?
Speaker 4: No, just take a boak.
Speaker 3: It's like, you're not hanging out with me enough, bro. That's what I told my one friend. I was like, who you hanging out with? He's like, re mean us because you're not hanging out with me? What is this? I was like, let's focus on going in the mountains and snowboarding or like, you know, living your life.
Speaker 1: It's become this virtual replacement for real life experience, real life friendships, real life interactions. And you know, I can even remember, and I'm fifty three growing up in having being taught there's street things you don't talk about religion, sex and politics, right, and now all we talk about is religion, sex and politics.
Speaker 4: That's always talk about it.
Speaker 3: My dad told me the number one thing that I get to do is not tell you who I vote for, because I'd ask him who you vote for? Wow, And he was just like in the eighties, He's like, I don't have to tell you. That's all the way till he died, he never ever would tell me. I don't know who MyD I can assume whom my dad voted for. So I do this thing my business partner, who'd you vote for? I was like, I don't know. He's like, what, who? Who you know or whoever? And I'm just like, I don't know. I don't have to tell you. I don't. I can keep it to my chest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the great thing about That's the great thing about the United States.
Speaker 3: You don't have to. You don't have to.
Speaker 1: I think it's you know, we are so blessed to have an all volunteer fighting force, the fact that people will volunteer to protect this nation. And then there's people that can't be bothered to get off their asses and go cast a vote. To me, I think is crazy. I don't want to force you to vote, but it is such an incredible gift, and gift is not even the right word, but it is such an honor, it's a sacred trust that we have.
Speaker 3: No idea what it's like because we're spoiled American And I say it because I am one. And I'll tell you when I saw people in Iraq get to vote and dip their finger inside of that purple ink, and it was shared with the world that they got to vote, and they were like, this is what this was for?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is it isn't I tell people all the time, we don't you and me, everybody listening, everybody watching.
Speaker 4: We don't own this country.
Speaker 1: We're stewards of this republic. We merely hang on to it until we pass it down to the next generation. And it's incumbent upon us to give a freer more successful, more prosperous, better country to the next generation than was handed to us.
Speaker 4: That's our job as stewards. Again, we don't own it.
Speaker 1: Our job is to make it better, to take care, to be caretakers, and to hand it on stronger than the way we got it.
Speaker 4: And a lot of us don't take that job seriously.
Speaker 1: We love all the benefits of being an American citizen, but too many of us don't want to take any of the responsibility.
Speaker 4: And what could be easier than voting, Oh my god, and being informed. You have to be a formed voter. It's not just go, you know, hit, push the button or punch wherever you want.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you a question about voting and people who might have a felony. Can I ask you somebody, do you think that felonies on somebody's record should stop them and from being able to vote in our elections?
Speaker 1: You know, it's a really good question because and I haven't done a lot of research on this, so I know, you know, there is part of me who believes in redemption. And if you do the crime and you do the time, I mean, and there's certain things where I think there are certain things that I think should be mandatory sentencing.
Speaker 4: There are some horrific.
Speaker 3: Things as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, when you've got women and kids and things like situations. Yeah, but at some point, we are a nation that believes in second chances, believes in redemption, and shouldn't somebody be able to And again, this is this is my big mouth, not having done any research into this, so I'll let you take all the incoming. But seriously, I would like to think that we're a nation where somebody who made a mistake because I don't like cancel culture. I don't like the idea that somebody can make a bad joke and lose their career or say something I did. I did a podcast yesterday and the host was very opinionated, and I was like, oh shit, if I publicly go against him, his viewers are gonna hate me because they obviously love this stuff. But if I sit here and say nothing, is the other side of this argument going to come after me for not standing up to what he said? You know, I was kind of in this, so I'm a big believer in that people should be should be able to earn their way back in. You make a mistake, you should be able to earn your way back in with certain things that I think are not I certain I think some things are beyond redemption.
Speaker 4: So anyway, that's a that's a big yeah.
Speaker 3: And about let me pick up some of your pieces. My thought is that if you've done the time and you were judged by your peers, which is what the court system is supposed to do, and then you go and serve your time, and you get out and there's rehabilitation or whatever the case is, you should you're back out. You're back, you're you know, you're here, you go And uh, I just think that I have some friends in the community that I that are around here who just wish that they could vote. And that's why I brought that up. They are somebody who has done some offenses and you know, you can get it a felony for speeding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, I mean, I think we'll get there.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, I mean, you know, I can remember growing up where people, you know, I had friends who were gay, We had family members who were gay that you know, never thought they'd see, you know, the ability to marry and have their spouse, their partner, their their significant other come into the hospital room and he was able to be with them or pass down property inherited property, you know. So listen, I've got a big libertarian streak in me. I want the government involved in my life as little as possible. I believe it has a role, but I think it's a limited role. And that's part of being a good citizen too, is paying attention that the government doesn't overstep their bounds and that we don't as citizens create a void into which the government needs to step right.
Speaker 4: So it's the Robert Putnam's book Bowling Alone.
Speaker 1: He was a sociologist out of Harvard, and he had this great thing, did this study and then based a book on kind of the United States, saying that if you find a middle aged man today is more likely to be bowling by himself than in a league. That we've lost the l clubs and going to these different organizations and working together. Yeah, but particularly as adults, we have a loneliness epidemic in this country where men don't have friends, and men are not spending time with other men. We're sitting in front of computer screens. We're not getting out, we're not being productive, helpful members in our communities, and we're not setting good examples for younger men. This is how you're a good father, It's how your a good husband, this is how you treat women. This is how you disagree with people in a polite, in productive way.
Speaker 4: It's not fuck you and all this stuff. There's a way to disagree, and I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: My bottom line is is that there is more for us as American citizens that unites us than divides us. But there's such an industry that profits over fracturing us and dividing us and basically balkanizing us, that we're all getting this poison thrown at us all the time. It's hard to love thy neighbor. I get it, but it's hard to do anything that's worthwhile and productive. It's like Jocko will nick It talks about all the time, scipline is freedom, you know. So the more discipline you are, the more freedom you're going to enjoy.
Speaker 4: And I believe in that.
Speaker 1: I think the good things in life come to those who work hard and are willing to exhibit discipline. I try to show that to my kids. Doesn't mean I'm at the office till midnight every night. I mean sometimes I got a book that's due, that's required but it's it's about striking a healthy balance. And listen, there's been no greater nation in the history of the world than the United States. We freed more and fed more people than any nation in history. And as President Reagan said in his first inaugural address, there has never.
Speaker 4: Been a nation in history that has unleashed.
Speaker 1: The creativeness in the individuality of mankind as it has been in the United States. I joke with friends, I say, seventeen seventy six, who do you think had more manpower and natural resources at that point in their history? The United States or the Romans as long as they've been around. And look what happened after the Founding Fathers and the Founding documents. Look how quick we accelerated with inventions and all of the revolutions and technology. We went farther in two hundred years than the Romans did. And god knows how many aliens aliens built the pyramids, and it still didn't help the ships.
Speaker 3: No, right, right, right, aliens.
Speaker 1: No, I had alien help, and they still couldn't get as far as we did by unleashing the individual.
Speaker 3: No, no, exactly, we had really, you know, just the naves that lived here that I decided to work alongside, you know, if they could have. I know that there was some colonization here in America, and I understand that I don't know how to atone for that. So any of my listeners just know that I'm sorry that happened. But here I am today, and so I'm going to do my best to be a steward of this nation that I'm a part of along with Brad. And I'm gonna, you know, be that, and I hope I have been doing that, and so I'm going to continue to be that and as best as I can. And as my business partner, Ajax always says, Hey, Rad, I'm all what He's like, do more. I'm like, I'm doing so much. He's like, do more, But I'm doing all this. He's like, do more. I'm like, I get it. Oh, I get it. Just do more? Right, have you done any good in the world today? Just do more?
Speaker 4: Nobody cares.
Speaker 3: Work harder, Yeah, exactly, work harder. Nobody cares. It's me getting up and going to the gym every.
Speaker 4: Morning and grind exactly.
Speaker 3: Seriously, That's where I get these curls from. Is every shower from the gym. I'm like, hey, it's I got my curls for Brad today. Okay, rocking the main of the Viking right here for you, my friend. Now, do you have any thoughts of Scott like finding his roots and you know, maybe saying he had like an ancestor that is this badass grandpa?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I've got him dating a very attractive Norwegian woman right now, which is playing to my Scandinavian heritage.
Speaker 4: You know what, It's funny.
Speaker 1: I just did a panel at the International Thriller Writers Convention where I sat.
Speaker 4: With some great authors.
Speaker 1: So on one side I had Jack Carr, on the other side I had Mark Greene, and then there was Michael Connolly. And it was funny because we got asked a question and they said, all right, how do you decide you got all this stuff about your main character, how much? How do you decide how much to put into the novel this novel and then hold back you can use it the next one. And we all cracked up because we are never thinking that far ahead. You know, we're putting out a book a year and it's everything we can do to get that book done. You know, I'm holding nothing back if I get a great idea. I mean, I collect hotel pads and I got pens and they're all around the house, and I'll write it down because I don't want to lose it, and I'll bring it to work in the morning and then I'll pound it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, as far as Harvat discovering something of his past, I mean that would be kind of neat. At some point, I kind of want to do his first assignment, the first time he was ever unleashed, when he was back in the seal teams and stuff. I think that would be cool.
Speaker 4: I've alluded to it in books.
Speaker 1: But listen, this guy's been very good to me, very good to my family. I got a lot of Army buddies that would love to see him drown in about three inches of water and a.
Speaker 3: Right, because he's a seat of some fishies.
Speaker 1: You know, I've got I've got Fifth Group guys that say there's nothing worse than a you know, combat qualified diver, and they'd like to drown them in the pool. Got John I got John Wayne skills. Yeah, yeah, that Ballad of the Green Berets and John John Wayne. So so yeah, I mean it's like we're sitting here now, my book's about to come out, and I don't know what next year's book's going to be. I mean, I'm a voracious consumer of the news. I'm always trying to beat the headlines. I always want, you know, my thrillers to be something that's about to explode on your doorstep, because my job is to give you just this great entertainment book in the hand, toes in the sand.
Speaker 4: You take it to the beach, take it to the lake, and just have fun.
Speaker 3: You want to take it. I just want to have it in your hand, just like where's my book. I'm not done yet exactly, and have.
Speaker 4: A really good time. And if you close one of my thrillers and you're like, wow, you know I learned something in there. I didn't know that or I want to know more about that. For me, that's the icing on the cake.
Speaker 1: You know, my dad is a no longer act United States Marine because there's no such thing as a former marine, right so my dad, you know, my dad raised us. If you're going to push a broom, you may be the best broom pusher that ever was.
Speaker 4: You don't phone it in. So every year I'm pushing myself.
Speaker 1: I'm raising the bar for myself and maybe you notice it as a reader that wow, there was just a little bit more I noticed in this book.
Speaker 4: That's the way I was raised by my dad. The marine is to just keep picking it up.
Speaker 1: Raise the bar, raise the bar, raise the bar. Even if nobody else notices. You notice, and you know that you're doing it for your customer. And by the way, rad I don't work for Simon and Schuster. I work for the readers. They are my employers. So when they leave those five stars, that's my annual performance review. So when they go on Amazon and all those places, so they are the people that I need to keep happy. They are the people I want to interact with on social media. I want to hear everything they liked about the book, something they'd like to see different in the next book. That to me is invaluable because without those people, I don't exist as an author.
Speaker 3: No, the reader, the reader who has their own interpretation of what you've written. It's like a language where in our mind, you know, it's one way. That's why I was asking earlier about a TV show or a film, because sometimes it doesn't come out how you Jack.
Speaker 1: Jack Carr talks about that with the Terminal List because it's he and he's told people it's gonna look different than it looks in your head the way you read it, and it's gonna be different than the way I wrote it on the page. It's just Hollywood's interpretation of the of the source materials.
Speaker 3: So people are really technical and some people are just really like, show me the action, right, And so I got it.
Speaker 1: I jump that once they buy the rights, they could turn it into Hitler on Ice, oh, you know, or a Japanese anime.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's nothing I can do at that point. You try to stay involved and you try to negotiate the best deal you can. And that's what we've done on my stuff so that I can be involved because they're you know, I've got twenty three books, and I tell people it's like the James Bond movies. If you've never read a Brad Thorpe book before, you can buy this year's book, dead Fall.
Speaker 3: You're good.
Speaker 1: Like going into a movie theater and seeing a Bond movie if you've never seen one before, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: You just go and see this one. You're gonna be good.
Speaker 3: It's on experience, it is.
Speaker 1: And I've now sold to this movie studio in Hollywood. I've sold basically my version of the Marvel universe. I've got twenty three books. Nobody knows it better than I do.
Speaker 4: It would be silly not to have me involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with the writing and with the producing continuity. And just like, you know, what are you talking about in here? This is the scene? You know, can you tell the actor how you felt this?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not going to tell you how to make the shows, that's your business. But I can tell you about the ip the underlying source materialation. If you do this with this character here and you guys think we're going here two seasons from now, here's the Ripple's I say that writing is like a still pool of water and you drop a stone in and it ripples outwards. But anytime you're telling a story, there's multiple stones, So there's multiple ripples, and you have to be cognizant of where they intersect because that's going to have an impact.
Speaker 3: It will. It will because you know part one, part two, and they've got to intersect, you know, if you in part one, let's talk back to the future, the fire going off into the distance. Yeah, okay, there you go. What's going to happen in the second one? Right, and then the third one? Fire off in the distance.
Speaker 1: Baby by the way, Small small world. It got the actor Crispin Glover that plays his dad. That's my cousin A couple of times removed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on my.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no idea. I don't talk to him. I got when I lived in la and went to college. I got introduced to him. But his grandmother and my grandmother were very very close. But that's the Norwegian side of my of my family is We've got this distant relationship me and Crispin Glover, which is kind.
Speaker 3: Of funny, interesting, you know. And I'm also from my mom's from the Friezelands of Norway and all of that area, like sixty eight percent Scandinavian in my blood. Yeah, I want to go there. I'd like to go there and check it out. Yeah, exactly. I read a book and it was all about Iceland. Brandon Webb, who runs Soft Rep Has Cold Fear. That was out and I do the voice I served it.
Speaker 1: I learned both those him and John Mann. In fact, you know, it's funny, I'm gonna say this on this podcast. I apologize to Brandon's co author, John He emailed me a while ago to tell me he was coming through Nashville and I was out of town and I owe him, so John, if you're watching, I apologize. Rad just reminded me. I've got an email sitting in my feel terrible. But those are great books, and they've got Iceland and.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and I read I read that I was the voice for Finn, right, and so I read that really yeah, and so there's blind fears coming out and so that that's another thing. But Finn I had to learn all of these Icelandic words, and when I started learning them, I just started saying them just came Now. You just started coming out like the Field, yeah, exactly, Rakovic and all these different names. And I was just say, I gotta go there, even if it's not there's no casino. I want to go see.
Speaker 4: There's no anything in the Hot Springs you can do. They make those bad ass SUVs. They've got all those Toyota High Lux pickups where they flare out the wheel wells and all this kind of stuff, and they're all jacked up and you can do these great off road trips up there. I want to go too, there's you can get there. You can bounce from New York really, really easily. So you're in Salt Lake. I used to live in Park City or not Talta. You're in Utah.
Speaker 3: I used to live Sandy.
Speaker 4: I'm in san but you're in Sandy.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Both my kids were born in Salt Lake. My wife was a doctor for the US ski team and for the University of Utah health System. So I spent about eight years out there.
Speaker 4: Was great. And it's funny because that's where Jack Carr lives now is just Park City.
Speaker 3: He's my neighbor.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, just down the road.
Speaker 3: We both have a rock chimney. I'm sure everybody in Utah rock chimney fireplace all day, every day, even in July. What is in July? It's one hundred and four outside. But you know what, that's a real background. Okay, that's why you know, just for you the fire is going at home, but and the snowboards are right there. I'm ready to go ride any day anytime, you know. You know, Brad, this is what I love about what I get to do and why Brandon I think asked me to host these engagements with you guys coming on the shows and authors, and I really appreciate having these candid, open conversations talking just about a little bit of everything, showing that you're a real person. I'm a real person. You put your mind to what you want to do and you get it done. And I saw somebody show luck and it was them working out. They're like, oh this body, Oh what luck do I have? Let me show you my luck. And it's just them trudging along and sweating with luck. And so, like you said, you called out Jocko, He's like, work harder, grind harder, do it, do what you want.
Speaker 4: Nobody cares work harder.
Speaker 3: Yep, no one cares more about you than you.
Speaker 1: So yeah, don't complain. Work harder exactly the average person, the average personal. Complain the above average personal work harder.
Speaker 3: It's that simple, that's right. So I'm just gonna wind us down and let you get back. I know you got book signings to do, and we're gonna hand it back Friday. I gotta Friday.
Speaker 1: I gotta pick. I gotta pick a magic uh magic guy. These are too deep. Here one in the middle, the one in the middle right there, Okay, so the.
Speaker 4: One behind it. You've got expensive taste.
Speaker 3: That's a.
Speaker 1: One of those is a Pappy van Winkle in the back row, So I think that's writer's tears.
Speaker 3: I think Japanese right there, look at the helmet on the Oh yeah, huh hey, right here, here's my cup. Just go ahead and just put a little bit.
Speaker 1: But I got that for I got that for Father's Day, that Japanese whiskey. And it's really cool because it's got this samurai armor.
Speaker 4: So he's got the full.
Speaker 1: Mask and he's got the top part coming up, so you have to take the helmet off to actually get into the booze.
Speaker 4: It's really cool. My daughter gave me that for Father's Day, so I did something right as a dad.
Speaker 3: Oh no, that's legit. That's the legit. You can hear you go, dad, see, I'll see you in the morning.
Speaker 4: It beats a tie. It beats the old Father's.
Speaker 3: Day tile exactly. Samurai whiskey.
Speaker 1: Bro very cool.
Speaker 3: Well, Brad, you're a wonderful guest. You're a very nice person. I'm glad I've gotten to know you over these last couple of segments that we've done together. There's more ahead, so thank you for being a part of Soft rep everybody, go check out bradthor dot com and check out Deadfall, which is his book coming out July twenty fifth. It'll probably be out by the time this comes out, so go find it anywhere books are sold, especially local bookstores if they're carrying it. And you never know, these guys like to travel around the country and do these book signings without knowing around, and they sign these things in the airport, so you might just want to stop off at the airports and see if his book is there and get it because a flight with that book is probably going to be the best. So thanks aaan, You're very welcome, Brad, and thanks to your people for sending you my way again. I really appreciate it. And this is rad saying check out our merch store. Thanks Brandon Webb.
Speaker 2: Peace use the listening to a sink red Radia