Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Zoe here. If you're watching along with us, you may have noticed the show isn't available on Netflix anymore. Don't fear. Starting April seventeenth, every episode of New Girl will be available on Peacock and Hulu. So get your cookies and give a cookie to your bestiet by continuing to watch along as we recap the series we all love so much. Okay, let's get into the show.
Speaker 2: Ring ring, ring ring.
Speaker 1: May I please speak with Zoe? Oh, hello, Lamurn, let's patch in, Hannah.
Speaker 2: God, I forgot what it was like working with you guys.
Speaker 1: All right, hello and welcome to Welcome to our show. How is that? Was it sexy enough?
Speaker 2: Or too? Very sexy? Very sexy?
Speaker 1: So today we're talking about episode two O seven.
Speaker 2: Menzies, mensies.
Speaker 3: I've never heard that shortened term for menstruation, by the way, I have my mensies?
Speaker 2: Have you ever heard that before?
Speaker 1: I had heard it, but it's not something I had heard regularly. I'll admit to that. I definitely heard it, but it yeah, wasn't It wasn't commonly commonly used. Can I just say first of all that I happened to have the only scene I've ever shown my kids from New Girl is this puppy and a cup scene? And it happened to be like a few days ago before I even realized this is the episode we were doing today. And I showed it to them because they had found a picture of a Pomeranian and a cup and they were freaking out over how cut it was. And I was like, wait just a second, let me show you something. And it was really funny to watch them because they like got the comedy of the scene even though they're little, you know, it was kind of it was it was cool to.
Speaker 3: Say, you know, did they get sad when they realized that the puppy is dead?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was just about to say, Charlie so little.
Speaker 1: His eyes were watering. Yeah, it was. It was really. I was like it and they were like, but it's fake, right, it's fake, right, that dog's totally alive. I mean in theory, we're just gonna say and it was just pretend and not real, and but yeah, it was. It was cute, Yeah, it was. It was cute. Yeah. So I love this episode, such a fun episode, and you know what, like it's probably going to be banned in Florida soon, so like, let's chat about it. Did you hear about this?
Speaker 2: What? Why?
Speaker 1: Guys? Apparently girls aren't allowed to talk about menstruation in school in Florida, like or this is this is like something that's being proposed right now. It's something that's being proposed that girls should not be allowed to talk about menstruation except in sex ad from like six to twelfth grade. But like say a girl starts menstruating before the age of eleven or twelve than their sol so because they're not allowed to talk about it. Not sure what harm can come from talking about menstruation, but.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't really I've never understood it at all. It's how we all are here on the planet because of this absolutely normal human bodily functioned Yeah, helps us create life period. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like, it's so bizarre to ban what what? Yeah again, Oh my head hurts, it's bananas to me, But I digress. Well, I'm glad they we're gonna talk about mensies loudly than today.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about loudly and hope everyone in Florida is listening and hopefully this, uh, this proposed bill does not come to fruition. Yeah, but yeah, I really enjoyed getting to revisit this episode. It was written by Kim Rosenstock, directed by Jason Walliner. What do you remember about about this episode, Hannah?
Speaker 3: Honestly, when I rewatched it, I think so far in our podcast, this is the one that made me laugh out loud multiple times and caught me off guard because I had I had forgotten that all three of you and up in the water massage. Oh yeah, yeah, it just I started out like I died laughing with Jake, but when you're in there, I don't know. The way he was handling you was so funny. And then to put Lamarn in there in the tag, I just lost it. It was just such a funny running thing to squeeze in in twenty one minutes because.
Speaker 1: I was it was a random like. You know what's funny is it was kind of a random like. It feels kind of out of left field, but then it really works. But I guess, you know, now looking at it again, I'm just I'm kind of recalling that. I don't know if you remember this, maybe because you weren't in this part so you might not remember, but that the it had a different ending in the in the original table read, and they were trying to figure out the ending, and they added this whole Tran piece with the like water massage. At like part way through the week, they were like, Okay, we figured it out. It's a water massage. And I remember Jake was like, wait what because it does feel out of left field, but then you know what, it totally works and it introduces one of our favorite characters, Tran, and it's really a funny bit. So and you know what, I really enjoyed this episode because it's kind of an exploration of sensitivity and you know, like all of our emotional lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just there's a line that Jake says, we're he's has to take off his clothes, and then all of a sudden you cut to him in the water and he goes, this is a moment that cut away from me. And then you can see that on your face when it's happening, and then on the mourns when it's happening.
Speaker 2: Man, and we've all had those things. We're like, you know what, I'm gonna surrender to the thing.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do it, especially while all this like New age wou stuff that happens now and then sometimes you're just like, wait, what's happening here?
Speaker 2: I don't, I can't what's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's a point at which you decide you're going with it or not. That's like I'm going with it, I'm going with it, and going I'm not going with it.
Speaker 2: I gotta get out of here.
Speaker 1: I got I mean, obviously Nick is like fully you know, buying you know fully fully buying into it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Should we just start to go through this episode like a little bet because there's so many parts of it that I was like, they're just so smart how they put this one together. And that's so much credit to Kim because she's super brilliant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the writers. She's the map.
Speaker 3: I also like went back and paused to see who wrote it because I was like, this better be a woman because there's a lot of like deep specifics about having your period.
Speaker 2: And yes, it was one of the best female writers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it starts off that you're broker, that Ess is broker than Schmidt, which is an all time loan Schmidt's.
Speaker 1: You mean broker than Nick?
Speaker 2: Oh, broker than Nick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm broker. Yeah, Jess is broker than Nick, which is like an all time low, and she can't pay the back gas bill, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's funny where he what does? He says, like, you're basically trying to use your period card to get out of, uh, stepping up to your responsibilities.
Speaker 1: Well, first they're asking her to pay money that she doesn't have, and then she's like kind of putting off getting a job a little bit, and then they kind of push her too far, and she admits, like, it's that time of the month and I'm not like feeling like you guys pushing me this hard. You know.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite lines in all of that is when Nick is going like, I don't think it's fair that women have an excuse once a month to act irrationally angry when the rest of us have to take it together all the time. Like I nearroly needed to go out and buy a fainting couch because I was because I forgot I don't have this, you know, episode memorized I don't know, and I was short of like, excuse me, if we're talking about anger issues. I don't think that the female of the species is the ones that people look at and think of that for and then Jess goes on a rant right back at him and says exactly that.
Speaker 2: So I come you act.
Speaker 1: Irrationally angry three hundred and sixty five days. Yeah, all the time, all the damn time. Nick calls Jess a ninny in this episode. Do you know what a ninny is?
Speaker 2: I don't know, like the word origin of ninny.
Speaker 1: I do. It's short for nincome poop?
Speaker 2: Is it really? Yeah? Nincompoops such a g It's a great word.
Speaker 1: You don't hear it very much. It's like a very old fashioned word.
Speaker 2: I like them.
Speaker 1: But what is an income poop?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What is it? Is it like a stick in the mud? Like? Is it a complainer? What is it like somebody who whinds a lot?
Speaker 3: I feel like if someone's an income poop, they're just being like a bit of a dummy. You're such an income poop.
Speaker 1: Let's see should I look it up?
Speaker 2: Look it up.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna look it up.
Speaker 2: Hang on, we're gonna bring it back.
Speaker 1: We're gonna bring it back. Let's find the exact say keep.
Speaker 3: It in my back pocket. And the next one we do with lemourn if he says something crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh you're right, it's a foolish or a stupid person. There you go, yeah right, yeah, but I know ninny is short for an income poop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great word, great word, great word.
Speaker 1: So Jess says the nick needs to be nice to her because she's pmssaying, and then she sort of describes what it feels like to be pmssaying. She feels like she's laid a mill eggs and they're all hatchets. She wants to murder someone and also eat a soft pretzel. That feels really accurate.
Speaker 3: Ye, you know, it was very accurate When she's like, yeah, Devil's in my belly. I was just and to be honest with you, I feel like, I mean, I don't know if you felt like this from a young age, but women have been taught to kind of now talk about it, hide it away, pretend it's never happening. It's not like girls are volunteering to talk about it.
Speaker 1: But it's okay. But it's not. It's not. It's so insane that you're not you're not supposed to talk about No.
Speaker 3: I remember being like pe in middle school and they're just like run a lap and I'm like I and you do yeah, or we have to get the nurse's office since yeah, all of it was just it's so bizarre that the world hasn't made any like adjustments for people that are just standing there bleeding once about that happens rarely, it happens often.
Speaker 1: Support somebody at all times, at.
Speaker 2: All times, at all times. I was really happy.
Speaker 3: I remember when we read the did the table read for this episode that I was like, Yeah, we should normalize this.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: Let this incredible woman who lives with three men say, let me paint a picture and.
Speaker 1: Let her inspire one of them to have his period too. Yeah, okay, let him be inspired.
Speaker 3: He's like, like, the worst pain I've ever felt, it must be a period.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean, listen, not it's not childbirth, but it's not pleasant.
Speaker 2: It's not as bad as childbirth.
Speaker 1: But it's not pleasant. Okay, Okay. So after this beginning scene, so basically Schmidt turns the gas off, and so they have no hot water, and so Jazz basically need to get a job so that she can get the money to get the gas turned back on and take a shower. I mean, that's that feels like very base level, like, I mean, that's very motivating, like I'd be like, absolutely need to get a job.
Speaker 3: It's very motivating, but it's one of those moments where you're like, I don't know a world where Schmidt wouldn't have a hot shower.
Speaker 1: I think he's saying a shower at the gym, right, maybe, I mean that's what he's saying, A shower at the gym for sure, or his work, you know what.
Speaker 2: I mean, He's got to be doing something. Yeah, he's not.
Speaker 1: He's not missing out on on a on a hygiene.
Speaker 2: And basically for sure, there's no way, no, no.
Speaker 3: There's also that great storyline that goes on with him and the incredibly talented, wonderful car.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, he has a great storyline with her, and she's like another awesome boss lady in the in the pray in the amazing uh new Girald tradition of Schmidt's bosses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, right, forgot about that. You're right, there's more to come. Yes, that felt like such like a left field thing, but I guess that was in the are you are you a good person or a bad person storyline that they're trying to figure out with Schmidt and CC even trying to shut it out.
Speaker 1: I like that kind of you know that when when you're like, am I I'm not. Like, it's like that CEC so identifies with being a bad girl, that she's like both of them. Do you know that that that CC kind of has to make peace with it to be with Robbie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember shooting that scene with Max on the edge of the bed, and the reason I remember it is.
Speaker 2: I sneezed.
Speaker 3: In the middle of this scene that we both struggled to take seriously because it's just like a weird thing to do, you know, to be like I'm bad, You're bad. It just like felt so weird to be like trying to really sell it or just like trying not to laugh. And then out of nowhere, he sneezed and it blew my bangs fully back and caught me so off guard, and I remember saying, oh my god, I just got a glaucoma test because it felt like it was just air like blew my eye open. It was the most aggressive sneeze, and I like, I still remember it to this day. And I watched that scene and I could see it be like it's either the beginning of whatever part of my coverage of some part of the scene, you could see like this weird smile in my face. I'm like, oh, that must have been just after the sneeze. My eyes look like they're watering.
Speaker 1: It's funny, like a behind the scene thing I remember from this episode was that the day I shot that puppy in a Cup scene, I think it was the day after the Emmys and that I had gone and it's like they always have them on a Sunday, and I'm like, this is the punishment for actors, because if you're working, you have to go to work at like five am on a Monday, and if you want to like go and celebrate like at an award show, you're going to be out like lead than you should be to wake up at five am. And I was so tired that it like made it really easy to be emotional about the puppy in a cup. It was actually perfect. I was like, I was like, oh my god, how am I going to go to work today? I'm really tired. And then I was like, this is perfect. Use it.
Speaker 3: It was a great cry, Like you do sell that cry you feel.
Speaker 2: I was sad about the puppy in the cup.
Speaker 3: You can tell you can I know how much you love dogs, so it was you can really tell. And then when she says yes, she was, you just see this look in your eyes where you almost draw back like it's the best.
Speaker 2: So I understand why it lives in the meme world. It's so good memorable moments.
Speaker 1: I really liked that scene on the page was just really funny. It was just a really funny scene, such a well written scene. Anyway, I digress. I just figured I would I would share another memory. Okay, So in the park, Nick meets Tran played by ralph On Rip. We lost ralph On last year, I believe, and he was such a great addition to our New Girl extended cast members and we remember him fondly. I think this was one of my favorite guest stars we ever had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really interesting because as you watched that scene where they're just well or Nick is just chatting at Tran on the on the bench, you can I feel like I could pick out moments that it was Jake improvising because there's one line where he looks and goes and you can just hear Jake's like voice because he's like, Uh, are you just gonna nod and laugh at everything I say.
Speaker 2: He just said it in a way. Now, look, it may have been written on the PAE.
Speaker 3: I'd have to go back and look at the script that was written or if it was an alt or something. But the way he said it was like he was clocking how Ralph was going to do the scene, you know what I mean, Like where he's like, this is the character I'm created, and this is how I'm going to handle it, and Jake like clocks it as he's been doing Alt after Alton, line after line going on.
Speaker 1: I really that improvise a lot that at least like the episodes going forward with Tran, Like I'm pretty sure there was a lot of improvisation because it's just like just because Trey and doesn't really talk, it kind of gives like this blank slate to Jake, And you know that's what's fun about it.
Speaker 3: I Mean it's interesting too because we say Tran, but he never confirms that's his name. Oh yeah, I guess just a look.
Speaker 1: And then next like that it's the fourth name he guesses too. He's like, is your name like Jim uh Scott John Tran. I'm like, wait a second, you you only went there, like four names that you came up with.
Speaker 3: Tran, Yeah, he never gave me some like audible confirmation or a high five. I wonder how many times Tran speaks a new girl, because he does say a line when a couple of.
Speaker 1: Lines, but I don't think I think they he says lines. But then I don't think they had him speak a lot later because I think they hit on what was really funny about that relationship. And it's just like Nick talking non stop and try and like just being silent is very like a fundy combination.
Speaker 2: It's such a funny bit.
Speaker 3: Like it's the only thing he says in this episode is you're a huge baby. I was like, if that's the only thing he says in this series, that's the funniest shit ever. If that's the only time we hear him speak, I feel like he says one thing at some point later in episodes. I guess we'll find out as we watch, but yeah, whack me up. I'm like, if that was your one line of this series.
Speaker 1: It was a huge baby, and it was one point, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Have diagnosed this man.
Speaker 1: Welcome sho Okay, So Schmidt is falling for the vice president of his company, please buy Carla Gagino. But what's funny? I think in this scene with Schmidt, she makes him sign like a crazy contract so that they can have like a sexual relationship, I think. But let's see, here are some things involved in the contract. Party A absolves Party B of any psychological trauma, whether temporary, permanent, future, or imagined. Possible exposure to lead. Pete, do you have a latex allergy? Guaranteed mercury poison.
Speaker 2: That's what made me laugh.
Speaker 1: Guaranteed. Yeah, some really funny stuff with Schmidt and Emma in this episode.
Speaker 3: There's like such a new girl thing of like character writing that happens in this episode that I love is that this could have so easily just been like a one dimensional, you know, sex dominate trix boss and that could have been it for this storyline. But at the end, when she's like tying him up, he sees that she's struggling and then calls her out on it being her first time, and you just watch Carla like have this real moment of vulnerability and it's to save herself in it, And I feel like that's why this show people responded to it. With this there's always just like this little bit of heart. There's always like this little bit of just being a real person who doesn't have it all together, as opposed to making her this flat character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they could have ended like that, and I loved it. I loved it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then he kin it was her text her in the moment. It's a sweet, tiny thing. But I don't know, I thought it was really sweet in the writing.
Speaker 1: It's funny because you Anne Schmidt are going through like opposite things, Like he's being pushed to like the like like edgy or side of himself and you're being pushed to the more like wholesome side of yourself.
Speaker 3: Right, And I think what eventually happens is we realize we can't live in either of those extremes. Just being seen as like the good girl and just being good that's hard. Yeah, that's actually hard thing to live up to. And then he discovers you know that for himself eventually too, that just being like the bad boy doing the crazy things, that's a hard world to just stay in all the time.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, So speaking of bad, Schmidt turns the gas off in the apartment, and what's funny is that he just like, look, I should know this, but like at the it's like he just turns the gas off and then at the end he just turns it back on. Is that like even a thing like very weird?
Speaker 2: Somebody have to do that?
Speaker 3: Like he makes the phone call. Remember when he's calling and he's like thanks Denise, Thanks Denise, And he's getting it turned off, so he makes a phone call to get it turned away.
Speaker 1: Turn it back, turning it back on. Isn't he like turning some kind of a switch or something. I'm like, does Schmidt like work for the gas company?
Speaker 3: Now? Like I think he's just turning the faucet, right, I think that's what was happening, Like he's got to turn back on. They're doing a ceremonial thing and he turns the facet and then they have to wait whenever it was six to ten minutes for the water to kick in.
Speaker 1: Did we did we jump around? To jump around? Like more than once on New Girl? I have multiple memories I feel like of jumping like that that song it.
Speaker 3: Did feel familiar, but I didn't know if it was from this. But I don't feel like I've watched the ending of this episode more than like when it first came out and then.
Speaker 1: I was jumping around with Damon at some point and I'm like, was that just like like so, I'm like that had to have been like later, because like Damon wasn't in the episode, and like he wasn't in the bathroom, Like I remember being in the bathroom with Damon like jumping around, and I'm like, what is that a creative memory? Did somebody just like play that on set and we were just being stupid jumping around, you know what?
Speaker 2: I do think that happened for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well sometimes people would play like music on set, Yeah, you would get Yeah, we definitely got late night zoomi'es a lot because we were there all the time. Okay, so Schmid turns off the gas, which means no one can take a shower, and everyone is mad. Everyone has their periods now, and now Jess has to go to a meeting, you know, and then Nick is mad, and then Winston gets his period, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he calls it a sympathy period.
Speaker 3: I feel like, you know, they talk about it with pregnancy that oh, you know, you're partner can get like sympathy pains yea, And that to me is totally insane.
Speaker 1: Well, I think usually it's like the partner can gain weight with the because there's more food being consumed.
Speaker 3: I've had friends tell me that they're like, he's complaining to me that his like lower back hurts like sympathy pains in the pregnancy, which I'm like, it feels like that should be on that show, like The Hundred Dumbest Ways to Die, Like, don't tell a pregnant one that you're yeah, you're fine. So when he talks about having a sympathy period and you're actually having your period, I feel like Jess's response was very tempered and ballid.
Speaker 1: What what did I say? I said something like, don't steal my menzies. Yeah, I said, like, don't don't steal my shit or something.
Speaker 2: Right though, Right, it's like, you're men, you have all these other things. Don't take you don't take my one thing.
Speaker 1: But then it feels like at a certain point then they're like experiencing things together.
Speaker 3: Well, then they bond over it because that is the one thing when you're feeling emotional and hormonal, it's nice to have.
Speaker 1: Someone else who feel the same way.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: She's like, all right, I'll take it if you're gonna sit here and open up and be a real human with me.
Speaker 2: Fine, call it what you want, let's do it together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Jazz goes to the meeting, uh the job interview after not getting a shower, and then has the be mimable puppy and a cup moment. Have you ever had a dog in it or just cats?
Speaker 3: We rescued a dog when we lived in Cyprus once, a little German shepherd and I named her Zipper, and that's cute.
Speaker 2: She was very cute.
Speaker 3: And we had three rescue stray cats at the time that were like old street alley cats and they were so mean, and so the poor Zipper because we were scared.
Speaker 2: The Zipper was a German shepherd.
Speaker 3: So we're like, oh gosh, you have three cats at home, and we got it backwards. Those cats were like terrorized this little puppy.
Speaker 2: Uh oh.
Speaker 3: But thankfully I think Mike, my uncle, ended up. I'm taking Zipper and it was all fine. But that's the that's the only dog. My family moved countries.
Speaker 1: You hate dogs, what's your deal?
Speaker 3: No, we just moved countries all the time, and so we just never had hang But dogs can't. Like, well, we had the cats and I feel like I don't cats in Cyprus, but I didn't have them in like India or in Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 2: We didn't have them.
Speaker 1: Grown up, you have cats.
Speaker 3: I lived in apartment buildings where you could have a small cat, right. I love the three, so I know I won't tell I.
Speaker 2: Stuck them in. I was like, is anyone counting bodies up here?
Speaker 1: It's like it just anybody, and like this is a really small cat who hides all the time, and it's mean.
Speaker 3: I mean the apartment that we lived in in Cyprus where we had the three alley cats and we had Zipper the dog. We also at one point it had like guinea pigs in the bathtub.
Speaker 2: We had Bunny.
Speaker 3: Like I love animals, Like I could live on a farm with a thousand animals.
Speaker 2: I would be so happy bring them all.
Speaker 1: I don't want to take care of a thousand animals. But it's funny because I actually I really want a cat, but I've never had a cat. I love.
Speaker 2: We have been talking about this since I met you. Could you want it? Astonish Folds?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. Now I love cats.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: I think they're so cute and they're so like I like their personalities that they just don't care what you think of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're pretty easy going little kiddies. Yeah, well maybe you never know, could be in your future.
Speaker 1: No, no, well yeah, my kids want a cat, so I think I think we'll get one. They started asking for another dog, but we already have a dog, and you know, dogs are a lot more work than cats. So I'm like, how about a cat?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How about a cat? Yeah? Well no, not no goldfish because they're like they just there's a lot of turnover life turn swing dying and it's very disappointing. Every fish I ever had died like in a week, and I'd be like, what did I do?
Speaker 2: True, that's true. Let's reduce the trauma. Get a cat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get a cat. Cats. Cats want to live.
Speaker 2: Speaking of swimming around in a very small.
Speaker 3: Uh huh water space, yeah, I wasn't there when you guys did this crazy water massage thing.
Speaker 2: What do you remember of it? Where was it? How weird did it get?
Speaker 1: I want to say, where were we? Was like one of these places? Like because we shot on the Fox lot in La. So whenever we had we shot on a location, it was like some where close by. I think we were shooting like maybe in a you know, a hotel like chacuzi or something like something like that indoor thing that was close by their a bunch of hotels near Fox. I can't remember exactly where it was. I just know it was like an indoor chacuzzi, you know, hot tub thing. I still have the swimsuit that was my own personaluit. Oh do you It's a really flattering swimsuit. That's why I'm like, I still have it. And it's funny because I even weren't when I was pregnant because I could put it on like underneath my giant pregnant belly. So yeah, I still I mean, I I look, that's a great swimsuit, great swimsuit, and uh yeah, so yeah, that's what I remember. I remember that my they had a couple of things where my stunt double was being like flipped really hard. They were like wanted him to flip me really hard. So my awesome stunt double came and and Monica Broninger, she came in and doubled me for those more violent moments, and she was always an incredible addition to my character, helping me make those moments funny. And yeah, I mean I do remember. It was like one of those things we were having. We were like kind of figuring stuff out in the moment, though, you know, there was like it was a little bit because that kind of part was written very last minute. There was a little bit of like on the day figuring, you know, like where we were figuring stuff out on the day, and that was like one of the most fun things about the show I think was like you know that we had those opportunities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a moment I think with you where he's like, I'm sorry I touch a boob.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to touch the boob because he's grabbing and moving you around, and you have that you could feel it when you're watching it where you're like nobody really knows really what they're doing in this scene, which is why it's so funny, Like how far do you go?
Speaker 3: How hard is he going to try to really move her? And how much is she going to resist and go like stap like we're not.
Speaker 1: When Tran does it with him, he's like super gentle, and then when Nick does, he's just like a total maniac, like that's not that's not water massage that's like that's like forced like water acrobatics.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a moment when it's when Winston is doing it in the tag where because I know our show well enough to know it probably it was probably going on for a little longer than it needed to go.
Speaker 2: And it's often the actors who would.
Speaker 3: Go like, I think I think we're being you know, dunked in the water a million times.
Speaker 2: But they end the episode with like some.
Speaker 3: Really crazy movie move happening on Lamar and then you like just like swimming off to the ladder, like walking off to the ladder, And I was like, I feel like that might have been Zoe being like, I think we're you guys, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: Well, also, I feel like we're just like running out of ideas. That's how many funny things left to do here. Also, I don't feel that Lamarn loves the water. Is that right? He's not into Like he's not not that's not his happy place. I don't think.
Speaker 3: No, I'm curious when he's gonna drop is this voice note to talk about his take on the episode. I think that there were things that were challenging. I think, and wait, wan was the water and the other was having your period.
Speaker 1: It's like water and cats or his like water Cats not happy Place, and being.
Speaker 2: A man with a period.
Speaker 3: It was yeah, it was yeah, yeeah, it's a I think that was tricky because there's a moment in the beginning of the episode where Winston tells Schmidt, I have you can't laugh, I'm gonna tell you have my period. And there are moments where I see Max trying to Max's face not Schmidt. It's like we're trying to hold it together but enjoying the fact that Lamourn is to give this speech about why he thinks he has a.
Speaker 1: Period, and lamar like, really, I was actually like looking for like in Winston, I was like looking for the break of like Lamarne like being annoyed that he had to pretend to have his period. But I didn't see it at all. So like, that's off to Lamar and yeah for keeping it professional. But I don't think this. I don't think like, I don't know that any guy really likes to pretend to have their period. But you know what, sorry, we uh we all have to deal with it, us ladies, you know. So uh, it's just like I don't feel so bad for you guys, like having to deal with it for like a few I.
Speaker 3: Mean, yeah, I do think it's a nice moment at the end though, when he basically says like, oh, I just like I miss Shelby and you realize like, oh, this pain in him hurt so bad and is making him feel angry and emotional and he's starting to relate to all the things that just the same. He deils that he thinks that that you know, I don't know he can relate.
Speaker 2: To it so deeply. Yeah, he just needed a word for all the feelings. And it was the.
Speaker 1: Period and now did you find a bear? Here?
Speaker 2: Now it's time for Where's the Bear?
Speaker 1: Where's the Bear?
Speaker 2: Where's the Bear is brought to you by Hyundai. When it comes to your journey, Hyundai is thinking of every mile. Uh.
Speaker 3: Season two has been a bit of a challenge, but thanks to my friends who are on the same bear quest as me, Oh there is a framed a Teddy Bear in your interview scene, Thank you, smash.
Speaker 2: So I felt very relieved.
Speaker 1: Where's the Bear?
Speaker 2: We found it.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a fun thing to continue to do this for the series because I'm that kind of person where I'm watching something and my mind can go on little tangentile you know, yeah tracks, and it keeps me focused because I'm trying to solve a mystery the entire time I'm watching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just don't remember anytime I'm rewatching any of these episodes until we're talking about it, and to ask Cana about the bear, I'm just glad it's not me that has to look for it.
Speaker 3: I enjoy it so much man, being a virtual bear hunter, I dig it. Thanks for helping us with our bear hunt.
Speaker 2: Hyundai.
Speaker 3: Remember with Hyundai, it's all about the journey. Whatever your destination, They've got the latest tech to get you there safe and keep your passengers entertained along the way, from shopping to buying to owning Hyundai as your back. Learn more at Hyundai USA dot com.
Speaker 1: Do you have any other special memories shooting this episode, any like Robbie memories or right.
Speaker 2: The scene that we do in the bar.
Speaker 3: With Nelson and Max and myself, it was just Nelson Franklin is as everybody knows. I mean, he's been on the podcast now and they know him from all of this his wonderful work.
Speaker 2: But he's just like the most lovely person and.
Speaker 3: Not a better feeling than when you look at the call sheet and see who's coming into work that day and it's just someone who's just gonna make.
Speaker 2: The day better.
Speaker 3: And the moments in between takes and in between scenes, you know you're gonna have like a good chat and catch up and they just make you feel really good. So I just I can see, I can I know myself well enough to see this like an ease in my body, you know, to be like my friend Nelson's here.
Speaker 2: So that was so nice.
Speaker 3: And it's just amazing how those people that we like connected with and became such good friends with are the ones I feel like that stayed in the series and just kind of got woven into the New Girl world. Yeah, and he's you know, one of the first of those, and which is great. And then yeah, and then trans in this too, that character. Yeah, there's a like introduction right here in the beginning I feel like of our show where so many people stuck around and it was the good ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was an introduction of a lot of good characters. I mean, he was Nelson wasn't introduced, but in this episode that was nice to have him yeah.
Speaker 2: Season two, they kind of fit. They started to build the world.
Speaker 1: Out season Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which was awesome.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we're gonna take a break, and after we take a break, we're gonna do True American.
Speaker 3: Guys as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're back and it's time for True Americans. Regular listeners know that we've switched up the game a little bit when we have a guest on the show, so now we try to get the truth of their experience on the show. We don't have a guest, but we have Hannah and me. In this episode, Nick visits a spa for what is likely to be the first time in his life. He enjoyed the soaking tub. What's the best spa treatment for beginners? What do you think?
Speaker 2: Here's what I will say. I don't know. I'm not a regular spa goer, but I have had I had.
Speaker 3: A couple awkward incidents and have taught me that when you go to a spa to be really specific.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you want to be able to relax.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I remember someone got me a massage one of my first ones or whatever, and I went and they were like, would you.
Speaker 2: Like a male or a female?
Speaker 1: You know, and you're like, I don't care.
Speaker 3: I don't care, Zoe is what I said. I said, I don't care, and in walked. And I can say this because it's all the men in my family are like this.
Speaker 2: A very.
Speaker 3: Uh hairy all the way down to the knuckles man, and all I could feel on my body the entire time was just a bear rug being rugged all over.
Speaker 2: And I did not enjoy it.
Speaker 3: It wasn't for me for a lot of people, but I think need to be exfoliated by my body hair. Then I never turned to sit up really quickly to be like I forgot. I had a meeting though, and I did it in a way where I turned my head out of the thing that you would rest your face in and cricked my next heart that I need a massage.
Speaker 2: So you learn your lasson just what will feel good to you. Be specific.
Speaker 1: I think a good like first spaw treatment is a manicure. Nice a manicure, And the first thing like because pedicure, it's ticulary.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's true.
Speaker 1: The first time I had a pedicure, I couldn't stop laughing. I was like laughing hysterically and it was really embarrassing and I'm like and and uh so, so you need to ease into and massage that. Sometimes they get up in your bits and it's a little bit You're like, whoa, that's good, a bit familiar, you know. So uh you know, I think first start with the manicure. It's pretty safe. It's not tickling, they're not getting up in your bits, and and uh you know. The only advice I have is make sure you're going to a place that's like extremely like clean and sanitary. That's right, because I was like one time I was like at a at a place and I watched the person like put like a tool like for a manicure on the floor, and I was like no, no, no uh floor no no no no uh uh.
Speaker 2: No thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was like no thanks. Luckily they weren't doing me. But then I was like, I won't be going back to this place because like no. Yeah. So anyway, go to a super clean place for a manicure and you will hopefully and it.
Speaker 3: And bring bring company if you go for a manager break, someone you want to have a good old chat with, that's nice.
Speaker 1: I totally agree, because like you can't it's like you can't use your hands to like, you know, scroll through your emails or whatever and so, or if you don't have someone to chit chat, listen to this podcast.
Speaker 2: That's right, let us be.
Speaker 1: Let us be your butt. Bring your earphones and catch up on Welcome to Our Show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we won't get up in your bits.
Speaker 1: And once you're done, maybe buy some merch so that you can represent.
Speaker 2: That'd be great. Well, we solve the world's problems in the world.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: We've put front and center. You should be talking about it.
Speaker 1: I hope you guys play it super loud in Florida. Uh, this is the this is the episode to to cure all the ills of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, this is fun hanging out at girls episode.
Speaker 1: I know this was fun. Thanks for hanging out and we hope you guys enjoyed it. We'll get you next on it. I love you so fine you've been listening to Welcome to Our Show, a New Girl recap podcast. Welcome to Our Show is a production of iHeartRadio, hosted by Zoe Deschanel, Lamurn Morris, and Hannah Simone. Our executive producer is Joel Monique. Our engineer and editor is Daniel Goodman. The Welcome to Our Show theme song was written by Zoe de Chanel, performed and produced by Zoe da Chanel and Pierre de Reader. Follow us on Instagram at Welcome to Our Show Pod. If you have a question you'd like us to answer, you can email us at Welcome to Our Show Podcast at gmail dot com. Don't forget to rate, subscribe, and share far and wide. Thanks for listening. We'll hear you next week.
Speaker 3: Five