Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: So I played pick a ball three or four times a week, not this week because the gal who owns the court where I play is an Amsterdam on kind of a honeymoon.
Speaker 1: This is Vicky Flaxman.
Speaker 2: I do that, and then I go to the gym, you know, like three times a week if I can force myself. I don't like it.
Speaker 1: She's ninety one years old and she's super athletic.
Speaker 2: I like the rowing machine because years ago I paddled, you know, outrigger canoes.
Speaker 1: So have you've always been a jock?
Speaker 2: Yeah, more or less. Yeah. I used to play beach volleyball, and you know, I grew up in Santa Monica, so that's what we did.
Speaker 1: Vicky lives in Scottsdale, Arizona. Now she's one of the original Malibu surfers. She started surfing Malibu in nineteen forty nine. That's years before Gidget, even before Mickey Dora. And she was hardcore, a bruiser five five, one hundred and sixty pounds with broad muscular shoulders and a take no shit attitude. Mickey Dora thought he owned Malibu. He considered anyone who started surfing after him an invader. But to Vicki Flaxman Mickey Dora was the kook. I'm Dana Goodyear and this is a Lost Hills bonus episode, The Toughest Girl in Malibu. Vicky got into surfing through a friend of hers, a lifeguard at the beach in Santa Monica. She was eighteen years old.
Speaker 2: He said, I'm going up to Malibu. A surf is kind of good. Would you like to go and try tandem surfing with me? I said, yeah, I'd love it. We went up there and we went out, caught a couple of waves and that was it. That was the summer of forty nine. Didn't surf the rest of that time. I didn't start until the summer of nineteen fifty. And the reason being I didn't have a board.
Speaker 1: That's a problem. It's hard to imagine now. There wasn't an easy way to get a surfboard. But Vicky had a friend, Joe Quigg, who'd made a board for his girlfriend. It was light and maneuverable. It was a girl board and it became the precursor to the modern longboard. So that board that you got that was Joe Quigg's fourth board that he ever made. Like that is that the one that you decorated with your name.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that was the one, and Claire did hers, and Aggie did hers, and it was the Aggie board, the Vicki board, the Claire board, and so on and so forth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone wanted Vicky's board.
Speaker 2: My first board was nine ten and my last board was nine six, and that was considered small, and I think it was. I think it was twenty between twenty two and twenty three inches wide. As I remember, you know. The thing was every summer that I would go to Hawaii, I would take a board and then I'd sell it and come home. I never brought the board back with me, and the guys that were over there were just dying to surf them, I remember, because they hadn't seen them till nineteen fifty one.
Speaker 1: Vicky says these boards changed surfing and she was part of that change.
Speaker 2: People would just take off on a wave and just stand there, you know, forever all the way in, maybe do a few adjustments, not like Mickey Dora did, but a few, but they didn't really make those big turns. And the boards that Joe designed for us, we could do that. Most of the girls didn't, but I.
Speaker 1: Did those boards obviously had fins one, so you were able to start moving on a wave and walking up the board too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did. You know. We try to hang ten whenever we could.
Speaker 1: In the late forties and early fifties, it was hard to access the surf at Malibu Beach. You had to navigate the property lines of a run down seaside mansion owned by the descendants of the Ringe family, who had once owned all of Malibu.
Speaker 2: Well, there were fences, but it wasn't really closed. Upper ways was closed because the Adamson estate was there.
Speaker 1: I read somewhere that you and your friends like tore down the fence so you could get onto the beach.
Speaker 2: Well, whatever there was we tore down. I mean we were going to get to the beach.
Speaker 1: There were other obstacles.
Speaker 2: Malibu in those days. The whole ocean floor there was full of sea urchins, and if you lost your board, you were going to get sea urchins stuck in your feet or your hand. You know, we'd try to go like on our hands and knees to keep the weight off those things, because as soon as you stepped on one, it broke off in your foot and the guys would go behind the shack and pee on their feet. And they said, oh, yeah, you could pee on them and they'll come out. Well, obviously we couldn't, and we'd go home in the evening and you'd be with a needle, you know, and picking these things out of your feet.
Speaker 1: Vicky and her surf crew men and women, couples friends went up and down the coast and over the border to Mexico looking for waves. On one road trip, they stopped at Wind and Sea Beach in La Joya.
Speaker 2: And the surf was humong us, was so big, and they said, oh, Vicky, you've got to go out. Nobody is there. Girls don't go out to the point. They just surf inside. I said, you got to be kidding. I'm not going out in that. It was I don't know, ten feet or more. And they said, you got to, you have to, you have to, you know, show them the Malibu Way. So I said, okay, but don't leave me out there. If you take off on a wave and leave me out there, I'll kill you. So I went out there and took off on a wave. And I was used to sliding right, so the first thing I did was start to go right, and the whole thing just collapsed in front of me. And then I tried to go left and I couldn't. It just closed out. And in those days we didn't have leashes and went and sea's way out there, and my board went all the way to the beach and I had to swim. Then I said I'm not going back out there, and they said, yes you are, So finally I went back out there, and then I did catch a wave and I rode it all the way into the beach and people were impressed because no woman, no gal, had ever taken off from the point, and you know, surfed it.
Speaker 1: These road trips were rough. It was all about the surf.
Speaker 2: So then after that to Sunset Beach, and then we went across the border and we camped on that bluff for I don't know two or three days. We ate horse meat and Niblet's corn and sir well, there was a there was a market on Pico in Santa Monica, and they it was a meat market and they sold certified horse meat, you know, like inspected and stamped and all that stuff. It wasn't like we were going someplace and finding dead meat.
Speaker 1: Vicki and her friends were driving around searching for surf. But of course that meant that other people were also driving around searching for surf. It was only a matter of time before they'd find Malibu. And one of those people was a kid named Mickey Dora.
Speaker 2: I met Mickey the summer of nineteen fifty, but I met him in Santa No Free because he was down there, and his name was Mickey Chapin, and I guess he was living with his stepdad, Guard, because Guard was there too, and so he was one of the you know, the Santa No Free surfers.
Speaker 1: VICKI was not impressed, not even with Guard Chapin, a notorious hotdogger. Do you remember knowing about Guard or observing him as a really great surfer.
Speaker 2: No, I don't remember him being a great surfers. For one thing, Santa and No Free is not a good surfing pla. It's a fun place to go surf, the waves are not particularly good, and the best surfers were never really surfing there.
Speaker 1: At Sano. They were still riding redwood planks and pretty much plowing straight for the beach in the white water. The girl boards that were being developed in Malibu could handle keeping the rider in the unbroken pocket of the wave.
Speaker 2: So we would come down there and the Santa No Free surfers would make fun of us and they'd say, oh, you guys can't surf on those potato chips. You can't ride the soup. And we said, we don't ride the soup. We're in the curl.
Speaker 1: Then one day, Mickey, this kid shows up at Malibu.
Speaker 2: And I said, what are you doing here? You know you're you're from the South Beach. And Mickey being Mickey, you know, he's always got to be so mysterious.
Speaker 1: He did seemed to have a car guard Chapin was nowhere in sight, and he was dressed awfully strangely for a day at the beach.
Speaker 2: And you know, Mickey lived in a trench coat. He always wore a trench coat way, I don't care if it was one hundred degrees, he was in a trench coat. And he used to go across the street to the Malibu Market and just he would just load up all his pockets inside. He'd open the trench coat and he think, yeah, well I've got lunch here, you know, lunch, dinner or whatever. He just would load up. And of course he never had any money, and so he just scammed to Vicky.
Speaker 1: Mickey was an annoying teenage twerp, but he would become notorious for his abusive, dangerous behavior in the water. Some called him the inventor of localism, but Vicky recalls being pretty territorial herself back then.
Speaker 2: And I see somebody paddling for the wave, and I say, don't take off in front of me. And if they took off in front of me, I just jump off my board and haul them off. I just haul them off the board into the water. I said, I told you not to take off in front of me. And Micky he did not put up with anybody. He was doing his own thing.
Speaker 1: Nicky was the least of Vicky's problems. Soon there was a wave of newcomers the vals.
Speaker 2: And so all of a sudden there were people like from the valley, and we used to say, Ah, we don't like the valley dudes. No, we don't want any valley dudes. This is Malibu, it's our beach. I don't think we were very nice.
Speaker 1: Vicky says. There wasn't really a good reason why they picked on people from the valley, just they were outsiders. They didn't belong and they were in the way. Micky was known to put sugar in the gas tanks of his enemies. VICKI pulled this stunt too.
Speaker 2: There was this one guy I remember, and he had a wife and they used to come up to Malibu on a motorcycle and I can still remember his green teeth. I mean, he was so awful looking and so grubby, and so was she, and we all just couldn't stand him. So one day we decided that we would put sugar in his gas tank because we didn't a lot like them, and they were not nice and they were grubby. And I was standing guard and the guys were putting the sugar or salt or sand or whatever it was in the gas tank. At about two months later, there's a policeman at my door asking about me. So it turns out he filed a complaint and we all had to go to Malibu. Well, had to appear well. One of the guys cried and begged this guy not to charge him. Another one in the meantime had joined the service, so he was up in somewhere and I had to go to court and plead guilty for doing what we did. They find us fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: That grubby guy Vicki and her friends decided to mess with. He ended up having an incredibly adventurous life.
Speaker 2: He had a boat, a sailboat, and he had an all woman crew, and he was sailing to Tahiti. And there was a lot of publicity in the papers about this guy, and it was the same guy. And they sailed down somewhere and disappeared. The boat was don't know, never heard from him. It evidently sunk somewhere with all these gals on board.
Speaker 1: In the fifties, Malibu was already a haven for celebrities. Vicky was friends with a movie star named Peter Lawford. He was married to one of JFK's sisters, and he always brought interesting people to the beach, including some of the era's biggest names.
Speaker 2: One time he brought Montgomery Cliff and I remember paddling out and Montgomery Cliff is sitting on a board, straddling aboard, and he said, I don't know what the hell I'm doing out here. I'm absolutely scared to death. I'm scared to death. I'm not taking off on anything. I don't know why I'm here. I don't even like the ocean. What am I doing out here, you know. And then another time he brought this gal's got this white hair, bleached blonde hair, and she's wearing a black one piece bathing suit and she's got white legs and white arms and cell you'll eat all over the place. And we're saying, oh, Peter, where'd you get that skag? Where did you pick that one up? And he said, well, she's a starlet. And we said, oh, you know, what's her name? He said, her name's Marilyn Monroe, which meant absolutely zilch to us at the time. Nothing.
Speaker 1: For about ten years, Vicky lived to surf day in, day out. But then one day, the same summer that the Gidget movie came out, she stopped.
Speaker 2: I think the last time I surfed Malibu was nineteen fifty nine. I mean, I was married, I had I had a child. I remember going surfing one day. I mean I had the playpen, and I had the umbrella and all the diapers and this and that, and I had to bring somebody with me because you know, I couldn't leave her in the playpen by herself. And then the other thing that happened that day was that this guy came up to me and he said, do you have any wax, ma'am? And it just about blew me off the beach. I thought, ma'am. I mean, I was such a thing, you know, and a brat, and all of a sudden, I'm ma'am. So yeah. And then at that day surfing, I took off on a wave inside and I fell off. I caught an edge and I knew the way I felt it was going. It was going straight up, and the water is very shallow inside, and I went down as deep as I could, and I put my hands over my head and the tail of the board came down on my head and I have this beautiful finger to show for it, my surfing finger. Yeah. It cut it open. I had not and the bone was in nine pieces and there were seventeen stitches. And I thought, yeah, it was a cat in a cast from here to hear.
Speaker 1: So and this whole time, when you had that accident, your baby's on the beach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. My girlfriend was with me. Had to bundle the baby up and we had to go to the Malibu emergency And you know, I thought, you know what, it's getting to be too much of a hassle. And I mean, and when this guy called me, ma'am. I was like, where are my people.
Speaker 1: Listening to VICKI, I'm picturing scenes from my own life. Baby on the beach, me and the water. I was at the beginning of my surf journey. She was at the end of hers. She was no longer that tough eighteen year old girl who pushed people off waves. Her priorities had shifted. Vicky was a surf pioneer, but she didn't let it define her.
Speaker 2: I always loved the ocean, and can you imagine that I don't even live near an ocean anymore. Surfing didn't affect my whole life.
Speaker 1: For fifty eight years, she was married to the television actor Van Williams.
Speaker 2: He was a cowboy from Texas, so you know, I was the beach girl. He was a cowboy.
Speaker 1: She loved the physicality and the freedom of surfing.
Speaker 2: You're out there with nature in the water, you know, you're just it's like, I don't know how to describe it. It was just it felt free and surfing on a wave, catching a wave and coming in with the wind blowing in your hair and just doing what you're doing. I mean, it's just a wonderful A wonderful feeling. And you know, we weren't trying to prove anything. We were just out there to do it. Just surf the waves and have fun.
Speaker 1: That's what draws me to surfing too. More than seventy years after she started surfing at Malibu, Vicky still has that spunky, defiant spirit. Thank you, Vicky. You are amazing and you're going to be my north star from now on. I am going to be a ninety one year old pickleball player.
Speaker 2: I am. I'm still pretty strong and it's nice that I can still play, so I have to appreciate it. I just I have these young grandchildren and I want to be around. I want to see how they turn out.
Speaker 1: Lost Hills is written and reported by me Dana Goodyear. It's created by me and Ben Adair and produced by Western Sound and Pushkin Industries. Subscribe to Pushkin Plus and you can binge the entire season right now ad free. Find Pushkin Plus on the Lost Hill Show page in Apple Podcasts, or at pushkin dot Fm, slash plus