Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They called me Ben.
Speaker 4: We're joined as always with our super producer Alexis, code named Doc Holliday Jackson. Most importantly, you are here and that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. It's the top of the week, which means it is time for some news that's particularly strange. We are going to learn some new details in a longstanding murder case. Actually we're going to do that several times. We're going to talk about how last week was, in a weird way, a big week for serial killers. We're going to have to mention a little bit about AI in Hollywood, of course, and shout out to our our pal who is a glass blower who wrote to us and said, hey, I'm the one guy in the audience.
Speaker 3: Who didn't know what mad libs are.
Speaker 4: So you know, we never will we make those call outs and ask ask for those kind of communicates. It's always amazing when we hear back, and we like to follow up on things. That's what. That's what a lot of this week's Strange News segment is going to be about following up on things that may have not hit the headlines quite yet. Before we do any of that, our first story today is for for the TikTokers in the audience. Alexis called this a tic topical story. Was that yes, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, r yes, yes all.
Speaker 3: Right, gang gang gang gang Noel? What's on ice cream is so good? Yes? Yes, yes, stop pa balloon and.
Speaker 2: Not casting a spell that I am unaware of its effect.
Speaker 5: You know, we say that about lots of media, media, ritualistic kind of media.
Speaker 3: Basically, Okay, I will say this to lead off.
Speaker 5: This is a phenomenon that I found out about from the guys over Internet today who linked to several incredible articles about this, this phenomenon known as NPC streaming. But I told my kid about it, who is an official, you know, actual facts gen z, and she was not aware of this, and the moment that I told her about it, she started seeing it everywhere. I don't know what's going on the Internet and algorithms and all of that, or if it's just a coincidence, or it's one of those things where if you start looking for something, then you're more likely to find it. But essentially, you know, we think of TikTok videos that go viral as these very short form pieces of content. But like many platforms that involve streaming video, TikTok also has a live feature. And this live feature is being used in a very bizarre and dare I say interesting way by a handful of users, and it's starting to really pick up some steam. So those little nonsense blurbs that I was spouting off just a few minutes ago, yeah, that's basically what it is. You'll have an individual who is streaming, you know, two users who are watching the stream, and on first look, it seems as though this person is some sort of glitching robot or like I don't know, some kind of hologram that is experiencing a technical malfunction by just kind of blurting out these little non sequitor, seemingly nonsensical phrases like Ganggang ice cream, so good, pop pop pop pop balloon and yes, yes yes, And then there are others. This is what is being referred to, as I said, as NPC streaming NPC for all the gamers out there, refers to non player characters, and we've seen plenty of memes surrounding things like I got an arrow in the knee or whatever, like they're lesser characters and video games. By being lesser than say main characters or more story driving characters and games, they have a pretty finite number of things that they can react to, and if you hang out with them long and other games, you're going to hear them repeating these things and it kind of, you know, oftentimes too hilarious results.
Speaker 4: Oh fun, fun theory about the MPC you mentioned in Skyrim, you know, where there's a soldier, it's like I used to be out having adventures, but then I took an arrow to the knee. And you're right, they say that pretty often. Apparently that is a clever bit of in the window or euphemism, taking arrow to the knee, as in like getting down on one knee and proposing settling down and starting a family. Interesting, that's that's kind of weird, you know, just Skyrim's so deep with MPCs, but you're you're nailing the description here well.
Speaker 5: And it also reminds me of the thing that I think we talked about recently, the idea of touching grace and elden Ring referring to this notion of hey, everybody, make sure you're not just like, hold up and what's it called, you know, poop socking and playing this game and never going outside and touching grass, touch grass, Well.
Speaker 3: I get it. It's definitely you know, it definitely can be triggering. We've talked about poop socking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, anyway, one of the most prominent users in the TikTok world that is doing these is a user by the name of Pinky Doll, who is Canadian, a twenty seven year old resident of Montreal named Feta sign On or Sinan, who spoke to The New York Times about this and said, Okay, you know, initially you might come across as something like, what is this weirdo gen z nonsense. Well, what it is is a cash cow. Apparently Pinky Doll is making anywhere between two thousand and three thousand dollars per stream because these people who are doing these these NPC live streams are reacting to little rewards that can be handed out by users in the form of stickers.
Speaker 3: I think is what they're called virtual.
Speaker 5: Coins is another way that was referred to in a Mashable article by Mira Naviaka. It's essentially a token that amounts to actual money, but each one of these is only worth about point zero one CeNSE. That's right, Matt, point zero one CeNSE. I saw you make a face. But somehow you're getting enough of these or at least, you know, the most popular practitioners of this money making device to earn about two thousand to three thousand dollars per stream. There are other users, one called not to Echo not not too a Coco I think it's pronounced. With around one point five million followers. This user is actually given credit for, you know, kicking off this trend. And again I'm always crediting the dudes over Internet. Today, they have really thoughtful commentary on a lot of these bizarro kind of Internet culture things that pop up, and they pointed out that this is the kind of thing that doesn't really reach us, I guess normies in this situation, or at least people that are outside of the TikTok bubble until it crosses this kind of barrier, you know, into you know, something more like being discussed on Twitter or Instagram or one of the platforms that we old you know, still mess with. And now it's actually gained so much steam because of its bizarre nature that people had so many questions that the New York Times is writing about it. And yet somehow my kid, who is not a mega TikTok user but definitely very much it's in you know, her wheelhouse and her friend group. She didn't even know about it. So yeah, it's essentially, you know, you're reacting so like, you know, an ice cream whatever emog or let's call it a virtual coin yields a reaction of ice cream so good. And there's one that's that creates the responsive of Ganggang. And here's another thing that's interesting that the Internet Today guys also pointed out utter credit where credit is due, and I ran this by my kid and she agrees.
Speaker 3: Usually there's another thing at play in these videos.
Speaker 5: In Pinky Dolls streams, or at least one in particular that got some attention. She's using a hair straightener in the background to pop single kernels of popcorn. So if you put a single kernel of popcorn between a hair straightener, you know, one of those flat dooly bops, it'll eventually pop, and it creates this extra thing to pay attention to and wait for the result of while you're watching all of this sensory overload reaction to these different you know emotes. Again, I probably using terminology incorrectly, forgive me, but again, each one of those does amounts to an amount of money. And if someone is doing enough of these to earn two thousand to three thousand dollars a stream, and they only are worth about point zero one sense, I'm impressed a by that amount of money, and also be that they keep track of these. It's just a constant barrage of these. You've ever been on alive and you see the little heart's popping up, it's the same you know on an Instagram live, only it's multiple different ones of these that were that elicit a different reaction all the while while waiting for the little popcorn kernel to pop, at which point Pinky Doll takes it and puts it in a little bowl.
Speaker 3: There's other ones too.
Speaker 5: My kid was saying, there's ones where they'll like gradually be peeling an egg in the background, or you know, doing something with Plato's It's all about these kind of things that are meant to feed kind of add types of impulses.
Speaker 3: I guess it's, you know, sensory overload.
Speaker 5: And Ben, you're always referring to the dopa mean casino, and this is an actual monetized version of the dopamine casino. Because every time that thing lights up and the person you know that's streaming makes one of those sounds, it lights up some little sector of your brain. And maybe at first you're just passively watching it, you know, and just like out of morbid curiosity, and then maybe you get to a point where you're like, oh, well, maybe I'll try this myself, and then it could very well become maybe not an addiction person, well, well let's just call it could become some form of addiction. I mean, dopamine release is equivalent to a hit of a drug of some kind, you know. And there have been studies recently, even before this particular phenomenon that have cautioned that a lot of this kind of thing is a casino for kids.
Speaker 4: Sure, I mean, at the very least, it's weaponizing habituation. Actually, it is the same reason that slot machines work, even when you know the math is against you. In the house will always win. I like it's weird, because says talking with Robert Evans a while back about AI generated children's books, which are a huge, huge drift. And the problem here no seems to be similar in that ostensibly this does not seem dangerous, right, This seems like a silly, fun diversion. I do input A, I get output B. I get a little chuckle, little spark in a happy part of my brain. But with that habituation, with that eternal, like that growing, escalating feedback loop of stimulus response, then the danger is that it can assume an ever greater priority in the mind, you know what I mean. Like, we see other examples of this with kids from before the days of the internet, kids calling uh nine hundred numbers and racking up thousands of dollars on the phone bill before their parents find out. And that sounds silly, but I I know someone who that happened to. They were like eight years old and they started calling an insult joke line. So they were paying like ninety nine cents a dollar ninety nine a minute to call and have some guy say like, oh hey, freckle face. And it wasn't even live. It was just recorded stuff, so this can happen. And the problem is that without making us all sound curmudgeonally, the problem is that when people realized there might be a danger to it, the ship is often already sailed. Right. That's why people sometimes are homeless and live in internet cafes. No one identified the need to. As much as I don't like the phrase touchgrass.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 5: And one last thing, you know, well, just just another thing.
Speaker 3: I know you've got something to say here as well.
Speaker 5: It occurs to me too that this kind of reward based streaming really has its origins in adult content, you know, websites like chatter Baits and only fans. You know, where you are in fact reacting to someone doing like sex acts. And the more you know, you you give, you know, these rewards, they'll do kind of what you ask them to do. Or there might be ones where there are specific buttons for certain things. And I've even seen ones like I think Chatterbaits in particular, where your clicks are connected to a device of some kind. You know, let's just keep it relatively family friendly. But the fact that this is, you know, TikTok is a platform that's very much geared towards children and to your point, bend this can on the surface seem innocuous. The more you dig into this, there are versions of this that do sort of start to really lean a little bit towards the fetishistic, you know, and the NPC idea is that you're controlling this person. There there is a a an act of control that is inherent in these types of exchanges.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting to me. Uh, there's a Guardian article about this, and there's a quote in here from someone named Christine Tran from the University of Toronto. This person's a doctoral researcher of Internet culture and digital labor, and Christine's making the point that this NPC streaming thing is kind of the granddaughter of I don't know how the right way to put this, but Christine puts it as cam girl influencing as this is like it's a spinoff, and it reminds me of some of the ASMR video content that that became really popular ten years ago. Yeah, yeah, for a while there where where a really popular ASMR streamer may also have, you know, an explicit version of those videos that exist somewhere online, like an only fans account or something like that and I didn't I didn't know this, but Pinky Doll and Cherry Crush, at least according to The Guardian, maintain OnlyFans accounts with explicit content. So it does make sense that this is like the I don't know the PG version of people who also make that kind of content.
Speaker 5: Well, and it's also interesting too because like kids, kids these days are totally aware of pornography. How could they not be, you know, I mean, it's just part and parcel of life on the Internet. And I can only imagine the kinds of things that my kid may or may not have seen that I will never be aware of. And there's nothing I can do about it. And maybe, you know, listeners will come out and you know, call me the task on that and say, well, do something about it, bro, like put some blocks on. But you can't man the genies out of the bottle. There's too many things that are so niche that no filter is gonna change that.
Speaker 3: And like, you know, and I trust my kid, you know.
Speaker 5: To put to relatively do a relatively good job of policing her own Internet use. And maybe that's naive, maybe that's me being foolish, but I don't think so and again, I just think it's that we've gotten to a point where what are you going to do?
Speaker 3: These kids live on the internet. That that's just how life has become.
Speaker 5: God, we went through a whole year of enforced life on the internet, you know, through the pandemic and all of that. You can't just take that away from them. That's like taking away air, you know. I mean, it's literally like taking away something that they need to survive socially. You know, without it, they would just wither and wouldn't know how to exist. And maybe that's sad, but it is what it is.
Speaker 4: Agreed well said. I mean, there's there's also I mean, there's so much more to explore in this way.
Speaker 3: But I'm really.
Speaker 4: Grateful that you're you're bringing the light here, especially for those of us in the crowd who adamantly refuse to participate in TikTok.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's not for us, guys.
Speaker 5: You know, if something like hits or like crosses that barrier like we were talking about, I'll become aware of it. I do think it's a fascinating phenomenon and a fascinating bell weather of culture, but it's not for us. It's just it's it's it's outside of my you know, comprehension. And I mean i'd like funny videos. I like, you know, a lot of weird, niche humor and stuff, but I just feel like this stuff is not is not for us or our demographic. But it's interesting to find out about it secondhand. And then I'm lucky that I have a kid.
Speaker 3: Who's kind of entrenched in the stuff and I can sort of run these things past.
Speaker 5: But she thinks it's bizarre, and she made screenshots of some choice ones because it's not just Binkie Doll, it's dozens of them. And now if you look at like live streams on TikTok, it's like almost all of them. I mean, it's crazy how many people are doing this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Should the three of us become NPCs guys?
Speaker 4: And no, god, well my main character energy Oh no.
Speaker 5: To that point though, Matt, you know, there were some funny video that were circulating maybe a year or two ago of people cosplaying as NPCs, where it'd be like a video of like a woman kind of walking around in circles in a loop and then slowly entering a grocery store, you know, like in this very you know, intentional kind of NPC way, because you know, and again NPC characters, they're not giving them the most tech, they're not giving them the most like you know, dialogue.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 5: They're they're kind of a lesser element of a game usually, So it's sort of the joke is that they're they're always the most robotic and kind of uncanny, valley creepy elements of games. So it's sort of easy to rag on it. And there were some really funny ones. And I'm sure you know your mem has a really great page about this phenomenon, just beyond this whole TikTok thing. But uh, I think, yeah, it's something to keep an eye on, as we often say, and and and usually do.
Speaker 3: But let's take a quick.
Speaker 5: Break and hear a word from our sponsor and then come back with some more strange news.
Speaker 4: And we have returned. This is kind of a multi level story and hopefully it is one that brings closure to many many people. So for several years now, we have been doing an unfortunately recurring series on serial killers on the loose, murderers who through one means or another, got away with their crimes or were never held account for their actions. In many cases, a lot of these monsters die, or they are arrested for another crime, or in some cases they just ghost. The most famous of these is probably Jack the Ripper in the West. Jack the Ripper is not the killer with the highest amount of victims, but he is probably the most well known. When people think of serial killers, you know, they think of a couple of like top like a top ten list. Jack the Ripper will inevitably be on that list. And I want to give a special shout out to my pal David Murphy over on Instagram, who hipped me to the first part of our serial killer exploration. Today, according to an author named Sarah Bax Horton, Jack the Ripper's identity may now be revealed by newly discovered medical records.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: Even a case from the nineteenth century can have new developments. That's what we mean when we say we keep an eye on things. Horton has a very interesting story. She's a former police volunteer and her great great grandfather was also a law enforcement He was a policeman deeply involved in the original Ripper investigation, and she found some pretty i won't say water tight yet, but found some incredibly compelling evidence that appears to match contemporaneous witness descriptions of Jack the Ripper. I want to give a special shout out as well to Dalia Alberge over at the Telegraph. Dahlia, I hope we're pronouncing your name correctly. So who does she think it is? We can tell you right now. She thinks it's a guy named Higham Hyamsam hyams He lived in the area at the center of the murders. He knew how to use bladed implements. He was epileptic, he was an alcoholic, He was in and out of asylums, and he received a traumatic brain injury that may have altered his personality further and prevented him from holding down a regular job for the time. He was quite abusive toward his wife, quite paranoid. He was even arrested because at one point he attacked his spouse and his mother with what police described as a chopper. So I imagine that's we could think of a meat cleaver, you know what I mean? So this guy, how does she put this together? So we know the witness descriptions, and we have in fact talked about them many years ago. On this show, Jack the Ripper appeared to be a man in his mid thirties with a stiff arm and an irregular gate with preternaturally bent knees. Horton discovered that medical notes about Hyam's, who was thirty five and eighteen eighty eight. These records show that he had an injury that left him unable to bend or extend his left arm. He also had an irregular walk and he couldn't straighten out his knees. We also know that he had a very severe of epilepsy and he had regular, not uncommon seizures. These notes, which Horton gathers from all kinds of infirmaries and asylums, show that you can literally map the decline the mental decline of Higham Higham's with the escalation of Jack the Ripper's killing period from when Hyams breaks his left arm in February of eighteen eighty eight to his permanent committal to asylum in September of eighteen eighty nine. He was also known to be particularly violent after his epileptic fits, which might explain the intervals between the murders. Let's pause here real quick, Yeah, what do you guys think so far, Again, this is not proven, but does it seem like it might holdsome saund I.
Speaker 5: Think so, especially like the detail about, you know, explaining the interval between crimes. That always I think is a question, right whenever you know an mo is determined, you know, for example, with the Zodiac killer and the lag between crimes, like a big question around that was is it the right person? Was it someone who felt the police were onto them and then decided to kind of cool down, because usually those cool down periods are not that long. And then there as a result of like you know, the timing that maybe it would take between a drug addict who needs another fix.
Speaker 4: Yeah, serial killers are you know, per the FBI, part of their they're partially defined by those intervals between their heinous acts. I let's talk a little more too about the timeline here. So as the Telegraph shows us, and as Barton argues, Jack, the Rippers murders stopped at the end of eighteen eighty eight, that's right around the time that Higham's was picked up by law enforcement as a quote and lunatic, and in eighteen eighty nine he was locked up permanently in the Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum in North London and he was there until he died in nineteen thirteen. After he got put away, Jack the Ripper never struck again. Now that's a correlation, right, but it may not. It may simply be a coincidence. We know that there were many other people who were locked up in asylums in that period, you know what I mean. This was not an uncommon thing, and there is still, Like there's so many theories revolving around specific suspects, you know, like Walter sick Art comes up a lot. The fantastic graphic novel and fantastic film adaptation of Jack the Ripper. Oh gosh, what what from hell?
Speaker 3: From hell?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Then they go deep into the conspiracy theory regarding royal involvement and cover ups. What was interesting here, guys, is that Higham Hyams has been on this list before. People had brought his name up, but they got into a filo from Byzantium situation. This is the part I find the hardest to believe. There was more than one Higham Higham's they won died at the time, Like, how common was the name back then, Higham Highams? It sounds made up. It sounds like bad improv.
Speaker 3: Is it of a Jewish origin? Is that a stereotypical question? I'm sorry? Is that weird?
Speaker 5: I only asked because it perhaps maybe is more of a common name, you know, in that set than perhaps what we might think of as traditional Londoners.
Speaker 4: I see. And that's if they identify the right one, because again they kept getting confused because there was more than one Higham Higham's in play. Barton, in fact, in her investigation, found five different dudes all named Higham Higham's, and she had to sift through this confusion, this noise to figure out what was going on. So our next question, why wasn't that Why didn't people know about this earlier? Right, it's been you know, a little bit of time since the Jack the Ripper murders and since the killer got away. But if we look at classifications, that's where we see the explanation. Because to protect confidentiality of relatives and survivors, two of the Hatch Asylum files on patients were closed the public view until like twenty fifteen, so you wouldn't have been able to learn this beforehand.
Speaker 2: I just have to make the point. You're just going back to how difficult it must have been to sift through those five people, right, Because if you go right now today to something like the White Pages or any of these other purported you know, information gathering sites that have personal information on everybody, like instant Checkmate or something, sure, if you look up your own information, and I challenge everybody to do this, look up your own information, and there's a ton of stuff, probably in all likelihood, associated with your name or a phone number you have or an address that you've lived at one at one point in your life. There's other stuff associated with your person that has nothing to do with you, which I can only imagine with the number of records we have today, and it's very difficult to get true answers from a service like that, if you are trying to go back to the eighteen eighties, I mean, my god, that must have been incredibly difficult work.
Speaker 4: I mean, when you get to that point, you're looking at handwritten records often right, and someone with a weird style on their cursive s might throw off your whole case.
Speaker 2: In records that someone decided they were important enough to keep.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, or there are just so many variables that can happen between the time a record is made and the time someone decides to look back at it. It is inevitable and quite frightening that there are answers to lots of crimes that are locked away in archive somewhere, and not necessarily as a result of malicious intent. Humans are just information hoarders. They make a lot of stuff and we want to hear your thoughts on the Jack the Ripper investigation. We also want to point out that Miss Bax Horton does have a book coming out on this if you are interested in learning more. It is called One Armed Jack, Uncovering the Real Jack the Ripper. It will be coming out this summer. In full disclosure, we have not read it, but I think we should check it out. And that's not the only big serial killer news this week. We have something that is incredibly important to us and incredibly important to many many people. Again, we want to focus on the possibility of justice, the possibility of closure. Guys, remember we had in our in one of our serial Killers on the Loose episodes, we talked about what is sometimes called the Long Island serial killer, the unidentified assailant in the Gilgo Beach serial killings. Quite recently between nineteen ninety six and two thousand eleven, they found someone. They finally found someone and arrested them. And you guys remember this case, right, This is the one where the guy seemed very organized, seemed to taunt people, seemed to seem to know how to play law enforcement a little bit, if we're being honest with red herrings, misleading and just absolutely brutal, monstrous crimes.
Speaker 2: If someone hunting sex workers. I think I remember seeing it known as the Gilgo Beach killer, like when we covered that episode, it was like an aka.
Speaker 4: Yeah, gilg Beach serial killings. Also the killer is called LISK or Long Island serial Killer. And they kept finding more victims and for a long time, law enforcement and families and relatives, everyone was at a loss. This person seemed to have disappeared, but as of July fourteenth, a Long Island architect named Rex Huerman has been arrested and charged with the murders of three of the eleven victims in the Gilgo Beach serial killings. They say they found him because they matched DNA from a pizza he ate to genetic material found on one of the victim's remains.
Speaker 3: Well not to make light.
Speaker 5: But I can't help but think of an episod of The Sopranos where Aj and some of his delinquent friends mess up vandalize the school and they link him to the crime because of a pizza that they leave behind that is a custom job that it's only made by for AJ.
Speaker 4: Sorry, no, no, it's a good point. They got Golden State via what a coffee cup? I think the t in the trash. And of course, to be fair, we should tell you that usually when law enforcement gets to the point that they're going through someone's trash for genetic material, they already have several powerful indicators. They're not just your local law enforcement is not just sitting around waiting for you to dump your casse role or something like that, unless they are. And if they are waiting, that's because they think you did some bad badge and they might be right. So this guy, obviously he pleads not guilty. Another caveat, we have to add. Investigators for a long time have said that it is highly unlikely that one person would be responsible for the total eleven murders considered considered to be the Gilgo Beach murders. We don't know a ton right now about the investigations, ins and outs, the nuts and bolts of it. But we do know he was identified as a suspect at least as far back as March twenty twenty two. They linked him to a pickup truck that a witness reported seeing in the night one of the victims disappeared. And there's a lot of news that's still coming out. There's much more that's going to come to light. It does appear were being absolutely objective. It does appear not law enforcement is convinced this man is a serial killer, even if he is not responsible for all eleven murders. And the more matting about this little off air two, like, the more you learn about this guy, the worse he seems. He had a double life. Burner phones. A story came out today on the local ABC affiliate where a former escort named Nikki Brass talks about having a date with him and the vibe was very dangerous.
Speaker 2: Like he was obsessed with this case, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: He asked her on the date if she had heard about the Go Go Beach Murdersike.
Speaker 2: You realize what we're doing right now, right, maybe let's not talk about that.
Speaker 4: Apparently he had a big smile, glossed over eyes, you know, the double Z rose. That's the way Stephen King describes it. He also on his burner phones would search for stuff about the suspects. He would search for stuff about the case. He also had depictions of sexual abuse of children, a lot of sadism. This is a bad, bad dude. We're going to keep an eye on this one as well, and we will update as the case continues. But before we go, what do you guys think? I mean, it seems like did some of this It.
Speaker 2: Seems that way from the reporting right. As always, we have to remain you know, vigilant in that until stuff is proven in a court of law, it might not be what it purports to be or might not be connected in the way we think. But it looks bad and it reminds me a lot of BTK. Actually, the whole double life thing, like a father, a husband, kind of just living this whole other life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dennis Radar, who also would have gotten away if he hadn't been addicted and needed the attention and taunted law enforcement. We're gonna this is dark, dark stuff, But it is important to understand these investigations continue long after the headlines disappear. We want to hear your takes for we want to hear your thoughts on this both Jack the Ripper and the Gilgo Beach killings one eight three three std WYTK. You can also find us. We read every email we get where we are Conspiracy adiheartradio dot Com. We're going to pause for a word from our sponsors, and we're going to be back with an unexpected lead in another murder investigation. Matt, I don't know much about this one. I can't wait to learn more.
Speaker 3: Shame, and we've returned.
Speaker 2: I'm going to read an ABC News article at the top here and then go over some important information we need to know before discussing further. That makes sense, guys. The headline that you may have seen already is magazine articles on Tupac Shakur's death among items seized from home in murder investigation. Guys, the investigation into Tupac Shakor's murder is moving forward actively. When police literally went into a home and began removing evidence from that home, and it happened this past Monday, as we're recording this on Monday, July seventeenth. First of all, before we even get into the details here. How nuts is it that, again, after all this time, after all these years, since was that was nineteen ninety six, there is in insane a house actively being rated. What do you think?
Speaker 5: And you can't help but think about, you know, the fictional version of this, or like this person who's been keeping this secret and hoarding magazine articles and you know, like researching their own misdeeds and stuff. You know what I mean, like going into a serial killer's layer and there's articles with the red stringing up on the wall and stuff. You know, that's just where my mind goes immediately.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, we just talked about the serial killer who was like obsessing over his own work right at a dinner.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a very it's a very specific and sickening kind of cognitive masturbation, is it not that that self obsession? And and Matt you know, I'm I'm really interested in this too, because we have to logically assume that this being one of the most famous murders right in that time, this would have also been something that fascinated many people who are absolutely not involved in any way with those events or may not even like hip hop. For some reason like, it's it's not damning that someone has magazines about Tupac by itself. You know. That's like someone having a book about Princess Diana.
Speaker 2: Doesn't exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: And I didn't realize Matt that the actual shooter is long thought to have been killed himself and another driveler alert.
Speaker 2: Geez man, I'm just getting just kidding good. Yeah, exactly literally two years after Tupac was killed. It is believed this is one of the best working theories. Okay, this is the way I think that's the best way to phrase it, is that Tubac himself after leaving that boxing match with sug Night in nineteen ninety six. Let me get the actual date. September seventh, nineteen ninety six, he was out in his car and he got shot while he was sitting in a car by another vehicle that drove by right and fired into his vehicle where he was. He went to the hospital and then died six days later. One of the best working theories is that his death was directly linked to basically a gang war or gang violence that was occurring between Tupac, other members of his group, and some members of the Crips gang because I believe correct me, I'm wrong here, guys, but I believe Tupac was associated with the Blood's gang at least in some way. I don't know all the details, but there's this guy named Orlando Baby Lane Anderson who was supposedly the shooter, or at least thought to potentially be the shooter, who was in the vehicle that drove by when Tupac was killed or shot. So let's talk about the new evidence in why this house was searched. In twenty eighteen, there was a Netflix series created by Kyle Long. It's called Unsolved Colin the Tupac and Biggie Murders. There are ten episodes of this series. It's on Netflix right now. You can watch it if you'd like. And there is a book from twenty nineteen titled Compton Street Legend by a man named Dwayne Keith Davis who's also known as Keith D or k e ff E D. Maybe that's not how you say it. And the other writer of that book is use of Jaw. Also sounds like a pen name to me. But Keith d says that he's one of the only two living eyewitnesses of this crime at least according to his book and statements that he's made.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, isn't that that confluence of the book and the docu saries you mentioned, isn't that part of what spurred the new lag of investigation exactly.
Speaker 2: It is strange that we're now four years removed even from that book, and there's action being taken. To me, that's a bit odd. I guess that means that the investigation caught fire again at some point and someone somewhere in the department said, hey, we need to actually chase down some of these leads, some of these statements that are made within both that book and in this series. And there's an interview. According to Davis, he was driving the vehicle that's associated with the shooting of Tupac Shakor, that's drive by, and he describes hearing the gunshots from behind him. Basically an open window in the person's city, seated behind him as the one who was firing, is what he's saying.
Speaker 4: Do we do any more details about this residence in Vegas? It's weird because they specifically went to this house. It wasn't something they found in an unrelated investigation. Right, whatever it was sent them to Henderson Nevada.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, exactly. I don't have a ton of information I've got. The latest stuff I found was from ABC. Shout out to Josh Markolin, Alex Stone, and Meredith Deliso Dealiso. It was the one that I'm reading right now is from July nineteenth, so yesterday as we record this, And here's a quote from that article. In addition to the magazine articles on TUPAC, items retrieved from the home included computers, hard drives, and pictures from the nineteen nineties that apparently show individuals who might have been connected to people directly or indirectly involved in the drive by shooting. This is according to an official there with the police. There were also copies of the book Compton Street Legend. Again, a lot of this stuff doesn't seem connected in any way to an actual investigation, unless you're talking about those hard drives and pictures that might have you know, someone writing about the incident. Maybe, but somehow I doubt it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, or.
Speaker 4: Like if the book is annotated, Yeah, someone has been dumb enough to write specifics in the margins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the house was in Henderson, Nevada. We don't know a lot of other information Besides, it was a court authorized search. It was Las Vegas Metro PD who was there, and a SWAT team associated with that department.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's really all I've got, guys.
Speaker 4: So I'm reading these sources, man, and it looks like they conducted the search, but there have been no arrest made. And it also sounds like they went for shock and awe with his search, like Bullhorn's light swat hold nine. That's a lot to do if there's not a substance to takeaway.
Speaker 2: Well, it isn't in a rest or is it kind of putting on a show because you know, perhaps you even know for sure that the person who perpetrated this crime is not there and you can't hold that person accountable. But because this is such a high profile case, you want to make a show of the fact that you're you know, even looking into it.
Speaker 4: Again, Yeah, there's some theater to it. I mean, logically, swat makes sense too, because if they like someone for this, then they would logically assume that person is armed, right, they were certainly armed one night in the nineties.
Speaker 3: This I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the theatrical aspect does make sense, and that's that's what I'm saying like it does feel that there is some performative peace to this. So maybe maybe you're right. Maybe it's a maybe it's a shaking the Bush's approach, you know what I mean. Maybe they feel like they've got the suspect treed and they're trying to get closer, get in touch. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there were other people in that vehicle besides Davis, who you know has written the confession in the book and then talked about it in that documentary, and Orlando Anderson, you know, who is deceased. There's other people in that car, so maybe they're going after one of them. Maybe that's the point.
Speaker 4: I don't know that makes sense again, right, it's all about connecting people until you find the person who pulled the trigger and the person who ordered it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And there's still there's just still so many questions about this, so many allegations of corruption and law enforcement, you name it. There's still a lot of directions this could go in.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 2: Something I didn't even think about, guys, is that the actions they're taking may actually have something to do with the death of Christopher Wallace, A Notori's big Maybe maybe that's kind of what this is about, rather than going after somebody they knows deceased in the death of Tupac.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that that assassination happened shortly after the murder of Tupac Shakor Christopher Wallace has killed a March ninth, nineteen ninety.
Speaker 5: Seven, and those a long thought to have been related hits, you know, retaliatory.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, exactly, and that one's in LA And they were both so young, man, It's.
Speaker 3: Isn't it weird? You know, we were kids when this stuff happened.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: It's the same with like Kurt Cobain, for example, And in my mind, I always think of Kurt Cobain as being this like older guy, you know, and now we're all in our thirties looking back, and these guys were in their twenties, and we just it's this time is weird.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 4: There's one important point that we always need to bring up in these conversations. And I hate to have to make it because it does sound somewhat like a just thing to say, but it's true. What if law enforcement treated the murder of everyone in the country the way they treat the murder of celebrities like that's you know, I'm thinking about this, like, let's say God forbid in US recording in us in the audience today. What if you lost someone close to you, wouldn't you hope that police continue investigating years and decades after If that's what it takes to find the person responsible, I just I don't know how to fix it.
Speaker 2: Man. Well, the problem is the reward for solving Tupac's murder is a book or three movie about you where some star plays you the you know, the reward for that is massive on the level of the investigator, and once you retire, you've got a full retirement plan. Now, if you solve the murder, yeah, yeah, if you solve the murder of you know, someone like us, a random person, you don't really get anything besides hey, good job, detective. I mean, that's it.
Speaker 5: One more red case off the board, as they say and cop shows.
Speaker 4: So we got to change the reward somehow, yeah, or convince people not to murder each other. Let's start with the rewards.
Speaker 1: The rewards feels like both.
Speaker 4: Are ambitious steps, but the rewards feels a little bit less out of reach.
Speaker 2: Feels that way to me too. All right, Well, that's it for this. There will be updates right at some point from Las Vegas or from Henderson, Nevada. But we'll keep an ear out. You do two and uh yeah, we'll come back with more if we get it.
Speaker 4: And we may be getting new leads from you folks again. You are our favorite part of this show and we get so many fantastic and disturbing stories from your fellow conspiracy realist, So join up. We want you to contact us at.
Speaker 3: Any number of.
Speaker 4: Doorways, platforms, crossroads, at mid port holes, portholes, you know, balustrades, just or you can just find us online.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: You can find us at the handle conspiracy stuff, where we exist on YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook, where conspiracy Stuff show on Instagram, and yes, TikTok, where you will definitely not be seeing us doing any NPC streams. Speak for yourself, Hey, I'll tune in, buddy. You can get a you can get an ice cream moji from me.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know what that means, still kind of but not really yum yum or good ice.
Speaker 3: Cream ice cream so good.
Speaker 2: Call one eight three three std WYTK. It's a voicemail system. You will be speaking directly to us. You've got three minutes. Give yourself a cool nickname. If you'd like to have your name and message on the air, please let us know that you give us permission to do that. Just say, hey, you can use my name and message on the air. It's that simple. If you don't want to call, why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 4: We are conspiracy at iheartrate dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know. Is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.