Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They call me Ben.
Speaker 1: We're joined as always with our super producer Alexis codenamed Doc Holliday Jackson. Most importantly, you are here and that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Pull up a seat around the campfire, folks. There's only a little bit of light and there's a lot of darkness around us. We're so grateful as always for all of our fellow conspiracy realists, and this is where we get to share our stories directly with each other. We are going to hear a little bit more about gifted programs, following up on our following up on our public Education as a Factory in Doctrination episode. We are going to talk about something that we haven't really touched on this show and over a decade, the concept of divine visitation. So strap in for that one. But before we do any of that, we want to give a shout out, of course to our nascent robo overlords, roboverlords.
Speaker 3: Yes, well we're.
Speaker 1: Shopping and we've got this great correspondence that came in through the old email.
Speaker 2: Yes, the good old fashioned email. You know it conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com send yours today. So let's start with this first one. Hey, Matt Nol and the one they call Ben. This is Big Bean, and I've got some more terrifying technological news to tell you guys about. Recently, I heard about a new cool use for our little algorithmic friends we call AI and their new expansion into the US military scene. That sounds great, Big Bean, I can't wait for all of us to think about this in the next few minutes.
Speaker 3: Here we go so stooked.
Speaker 2: There are new unmanned drones like the XQ fifty eight Valkyrie, which are being tested to have a new kind of pilot based off of a new AI system called the Skyborg. What Skyborg? You're telling me? Somebody in the military took Skynet and the Borg, smashed it together and is making an AI system for unmanned military planes called the Skyborg.
Speaker 1: That's a way more creative that I assumed, Matt, because I thought there was literally some guys sitting around and going, you know, like a cyborg. But in the air, we.
Speaker 2: Could call it probably, that's probably, we.
Speaker 1: Could call it the abot.
Speaker 3: Is it the abot?
Speaker 2: Oh? Lord, they know not what they do. Okay, let's continue on with Big Bean here. From what I've been able to gather, the Skyborg AI program is one that is being developed by the US Air Force to pilot numerous unmanned drones in an attempt to make an autonomous military aircraft which would act mostly as an armed escort drone for manned aircraft or for high risk missions where there's the potential for losing human lives I mean soldiers' lives now when it's too great, Okay. I thought you guys would find this interesting and in no way could lead to anything like Skynet at all. I can't wait to hear all's thoughts on this. Best regards Big Bean, the real human and definitely non AI. Trying to gather your opinions on digital military dictatorship.
Speaker 4: I think it was I think it was real, but who knows these days. It was a tweet from James Cameron saying I warned you all about this back in nineteen eighty four and you wouldn't listen to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, okay, big Bean, first off, hats off to you human sir, because that is a fantastic name, and I look forward to your mixtape. Please make it and send it our way. Just having someone yell big Bean at the beginning of a beat, come on, right, that's that's a little bit.
Speaker 2: Imagine headphones.
Speaker 3: Or like like the watermark, like the DJ college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, just so so yeah, this, so, this is fascinating. We've actually can't remember if we talked of offer on air about some of these unmanned drones, but as Corporate America would say, it's a very exciting space at the moment, which will of course come to include space. The future of space exploration is most likely going to be automated heavily. Check out our earlier very weird thought experiments on AI and space expansion, but more directly just above the ground. You know what I was thinking when I heard this letter read this letter, rather, I was thinking of how this is the next step in things like the Iron dome, right, anti missile anti missile programs.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so if they were just flying around autonomously at all times, kind of like the X thirty seven b except in instead of in space, just in the skies, patrolling basically borders. It could be like that in the future. But right now, guys, this thing is weird. This whole program weirds me out. It is what Big Bean is talking about. This program is designed to have basically to create Goose and the and other wingmen for actual human pilots. So imagine a single fighter jet in the sky right this. It's got one or two human pilots in it, depending on the model. It's just soaring through the air. It's got its missiles, it's got as bombs, it's got all the armaments it needs. And then imagine just behind it and on both sides two autonomous jet fighter looking drones that are smaller in stature than the actual jet fighter that are basically I don't know. It reminds me of old rts like real time strategy games I used to play, like Command and Conqueror or some of these other games where you would control one unit, but there would be a bunch of other units attached to it that are pared to it in some kind of way. That's how this is supposed to function.
Speaker 3: Or even like you know early.
Speaker 4: What RPG games where you're working in like a party and you've got like you're doing your battle and like term based kind of gaming, and then you have folks that react to you or like yeah, tails and sun.
Speaker 1: I mean that's amazing because again science fiction fantasy, right, they when well done, it prefigures real world events. I could see this also shout out to anybody from Kratos Defense and Security Solutions tuning in. This one's for free, bro. You could also take a much smaller version of this and apply it to individual soldiers or warfighters as they're called now. On the ground, right, you got a small backpack that houses let's say, yeah, the houses of Quivera drones, right, just like arrows, and some are your eyes in the sky, right to avoid you getting your head shot off when you look around a corner. Some may carry some armament if possible, like you know, way back in the days of the DARPA dog and stuff like that. You guys, remember one of our first predictions was the next thing they're going to do is put a gun on this, and they do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean it also like reminds me of one of my favorite characters in Borderlands Mordecai who has a little herd like drone that he can deploy, you know, and then there was another character that had like a clone drone that he could also deploy. I mean, sorry, there's a million examples of this in gaming, and then red Wing.
Speaker 1: In the MCU or for non philistines in the actual comic books walk down the street for that one.
Speaker 2: Sorry, guys, no, that's great, man. But at least according to official sources from the US Air Force in twenty twenty, on Airman dot com or Airmanmagazine dot AF dot mi ILU, they were discussing this as an almost R two D two like situation where these autonomous wingmen are providing situational awareness via various sensors, right, kind of as you were talking about there been with you know, a human doing this, but in this case it's all in the air, right, so as the single fighter pilot is going along, these other guys are just providing information. So that's twenty twenty as they're talking about it. One of the things that Big Bean sent us was an article from twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Two of a chuckle every time you say the Big Bean sent us, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I'll just give you the title here after successful flight tests for Skyborg x Q fifty eight, continuing to evolve, I don't like any of that. Stop evolved, Stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, evolve was definitely an editorial choice there as even though they're they're quoting Kreatos. Matt big Bean. One thing I loved about this and Noel, I don't know if you clocked this as well, you guys in this article, big Bean sends us Kratos sounds over the moon, especially Jeffrey Harrow, who is senior VP at their Unmanned Systems divisions.
Speaker 2: The defense contractor.
Speaker 1: Yes called Cratos, who shouted out, yes, Kratos from the God of War franchise, Yeah, unclear, maybe spelled the same way. And that's that's so strange, you know when you imagine the calculus behind how defense industry folks choose their names, right, Like, wouldn't you want something a little more on the protection side versus the whatever? Anyway, So here's the thing that stood out to me on this. Guys. They say the tests are successful, they're very happy about it, but they refuse to say what the test we're testing for or when the test happened, So that's vague right, Yeah, it's really troubling.
Speaker 2: It's weird because you you've got several different systems in here. Right, You've got what's being referred to as the brain of the system, right, the operating all of the parts that actually operate the vehicles. Then you have the vehicles themselves. You can put that brain into another vehicle, as this article is stating here, they put it in one of these MQ twenty Avengers, which is another type of drone, not the XQ fifty eight, So they were able to prove the brain works. But then they also are saying that those new ones, the XQ fifty eights, had a bunch of test flights that were successful, as you said, been very vaguely and it's weird to read about. Guys. You can head over to airindspaceforces dot com to read that article after successful flight tests for Skyborg dot dot dot and you'll see basically a bunch of people commenting on it basically saying this is great, this is really good, like it's so successful and autonomous.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a valid thing to say because, as a big Bean points out, the emphasis is on at least ostensibly is on protecting human lives right, And I guess we should also say that this is not the brain transplant that you're talking about. Met. What's interesting and objectively cool about that is the m Q twenty Avenger or MQ twenty two Avenger is not made by Kratos. It's made by a completely different outfit. So they're showing a kind of I can't remember the word for it, interoperability would be one. And here's why, it seems like, here's why they're so excited over at Kratos because they feel that this is well on the way to becoming something called a program of record. A program of record means that Congress has opened the wallet just for you. So if you are a defense contractor, program of record is an absolute feather in your cap, which means this is happening. By the way, that's basically what this means. There are gonna be drones in the sky. There are going to be a lot more unidentified flying objects. Because drones, especially in the military sector, are proliferating so quickly that the average person trying to keep up with this it would become your second job. You would have to moonlight to keep track of all the all the different stuff. Man and I don't know if it's I guess the big question is, like you said, what what could go wrong? Maybe we talk about that because we've been kind of dancing around it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'll tell you what can go wrong. Yeah, I'll tell you what can go wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's another article from airinspaceforces dot com. This is from May one. Skyborg makes first flight aboard Kratos Mako. Mako is another vehicle, a Maco Air vehicle Shark. Yeah, exactly, But from this article here's a quote. In August twenty twenty, an artificial intelligence program defeated a human pilot in a series of fifty simulated dogfights, although the AI was provided with information about its opponent's energy state that a true adversary would not have, so not exactly sure what that means. Also a little vague, what the hell is an energy state? Like? Is your opponent tired? Does your opponent have a certain amount of fuel left in their system? Anyway, But the danger that you're talking about here, Ben, is that the AI can help perform a really skilled human pilot. Why is that dangerous? Because oh, I don't know. Let's say the Skyborg decides it doesn't like an objective for a mission or something for some reason or you know, it goes off kilter it and then take out the human pilots that it's paired with if it has to, Would it do that? Could it do that?
Speaker 1: I see?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know. There's real danger thereat. That's what freaks me out. Maybe maybe I'm silly.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's silly. I don't think it's silly at all.
Speaker 2: So now, really what they're working on is demonstrating the whole what do they call it teamed autonomy. I forget exactly how they put it where oh, no, manned unmanned. Teaming is the way the military refers to.
Speaker 3: This manned unmanned. How can something be manned and unmanned the same well time.
Speaker 2: It's what we talked about at the top Noltes. It's one pilot inside a craft an aircraft, and then one or three or two or whatever unmanned pilots.
Speaker 3: That are also totally get it.
Speaker 4: I just it's when you say them together like that, it sounds like they're meant to be the same thing at the same time.
Speaker 3: But there is a manned slash unmanned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And these drones are not like the ones we saw in the Iraq conflict, you know, back in two thousand and three, anything like that, Like the predators that actually need a human being, you know, controlling them. These really are going to be autonomous like R two D two, but in their own you know, fighter jet.
Speaker 4: But surely they'll have parameters that are tied to the behavior of the manned.
Speaker 2: Vehicle, right I think that's exactly the idea, right, They're they're paired in the same way your Bluetooth headset is paired to your phone right now, it's the same.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, yeah, I guess what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Parameters. I would just imagine again without knowing, you know, exact details about this, like there would be it wouldn't deviate past certain you know, set standards, you know, wouldn't go venture off beyond the reach of the manned vehicle, for example.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that's the aim of those creating it, all right, but we'll see. Well that's all for this message, Thanks so much, Big Bean. Will be right back with more messages from you.
Speaker 4: And we're back with another message from you. Yes, you in this case that you in question is Alice, who gave absolute permission to read this missive and use their name. So this is in response to, as Ben mentioned at the top of the show, our episode on public schools, the history of public schools there perhaps prescribed intent, and you know, some of the within that episode we talked about some of our own experiences with public schools, ourselves, you know, as attendees of said public schools, and also some of our kids and the experiences that we've had. And I believe I mentioned the idea of gifted programs and how oftentimes you aren't going to necessarily be able to expect to have a kid taken under their wing by a teacher because of how you know, overloaded some of these teachers are. And I hope I didn't come off as casting any aspersions on particule the teachers. We know that teachers are some of the most important crucial workers in this country, in any country, and oftentimes in schools that are underfunded, there's just too much going on and there's often not the ability to give individual attention to individual students sometimes, and I know that many teachers will go out of their way and stay extra hours and sacrifice their own personalized in order to do just that. And here is a great example of that being the case. And this is sort of a positive, pretty uplifting story about a public school experience. I was listening to your episode regarding the public school system, and my interest was pete when you stated that no one will take your child under their wing regarding the gifted program. I wanted to relate my son's experience regarding this. When my son was in kindergarten in first grade, his teachers remarked that they wanted to have him tested for the Gifted and Talented program. And again, I do realize that this happens plenty, partially just to satisfy their curiosity on how he would do as they said he was achieving things far beyond his age. His father and I agreed, and he did indeed test into the Gifted and Talented program and went to a different school for these classes. In second grade, however, he did not farewell and suffered a great deal of bullying, mostly mental and emotional, with comments like your parents don't really love you, etc. Brainy kids cut way deeper than basic sticks and stones, and the words did hurt him. Eventually, the school stated that he had quote behavioral issues and sent him back to his original school, which was in a low income area and had very little local funding. Once back at his original school, which still had fountains with lead pipes and areas unusable due to asbestos, his teachers immediately said that they suspected Aspergers. We had him tested at Kennedy Kreeger and he was officially diagnosed with PD DNS or pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified, which meant he ticked a lot of the boxes and a lot of developmental disorders, but didn't fit any of them perfectly. Later, all these disorders became ASD or autism spectrum disorder. Now, after taking a gap year following graduation, my son is heading off to freshman year of college at Indiana Institute of Technology with a merit scholarship and planning to major in computer science slash cybersecurity. The low income school he started out with in his schooling did everything you can imagine to accommodate him. The school literally created a separate advanced math class for him and tailored a lot of his assignments, as well as suggesting a five h four plan for him. Five or four plan is dispensations for folks with disabilities. They were nothing short of amazing, and he thrives. I can only wish that more schools were like this, But most of my friends with children who have any kind of behavioral issue, etc. Do nothing but struggle to get their schools to offer even the slightest accommodations. And here's a surprise, and private schools were the worst, blatantly refused to accommodate neurodivergent individuals. This school my son attended was Lincoln Elementary and Frederick, Maryland and has since built a new school and they are amazing. You absolutely again have my permission to read any of this and.
Speaker 3: Use my name.
Speaker 1: Congratulations. Oh heading to college over at Indiana Institute. I went to Georgia Tech myself. Very well done. Also well well done in choosing computer science and cybersecurity.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and this just feels like such a success story.
Speaker 4: That's a combination of the parents paying attention and doing what they think is right for their kid, and the teachers, you know, recognizing some of these issues. And I thought it was just so interesting that you know, at the gifted program, this child had you know, significant problems because of perhaps some lack of accommodations. And I have gone through some of this with my own kid, who has had some neurodivergent issues in the past, has been classified as such, and we have had very very positive results with teachers making accommodations and making sure that you know, she is able to get the help that she needs when she needs it and to have more time on tests and things like that, and she herself is also friving. So, you know, I hope any of my comments on that episode weren't just unilaterally bashing you know.
Speaker 3: Public schools or schools in you know, with with with.
Speaker 4: Less funding, because oftentimes, as I said at the top, we do know that it is in those situations that the teachers themselves are often the ones who have to really take that burden on, you know, and and make more time for these students because they know it's an untenable situation. And speaking to the you know, the bullying aspect of it, it's something that I see in my kids peer group a lot, and I hear horror stories about kids that are just psychologically bullied because you can't get away with physical bullying anymore, but psychological bullying is leave bruises and it's a lot harder to pinpoint, and you can tell on a student and have administration do something about it quote unquote, and that often will just cause the bulliers to be way more covert about it and do it and even creepier online.
Speaker 3: Ways or you know what have you.
Speaker 4: And then so you end up with these resulting situations where kids are afraid, you know, to turn in their abusers, you know, to turn in their bullies. And it's heartbreaking and it really does require a lot of really thoughtful strategy between parents and teachers and school administrators to keep these situations from kind of ballooning out of control. I don't know, guys, if you experienced anything along these lines with any of your family or loved ones, or you know, in your own upbringing, but I did think this was a really telling story here.
Speaker 2: I think is amazing that you can still have faith in an institution that, you know, maybe doesn't have that much funding of a public school least that Alice is talking about here, that will do absolutely everything in their power of the staff there and the institution itself to accommodate somebody who just needs something a little different, right. I think that's an incredible thing because often, I think when you are looking around let's say, for a place to live when you're thinking about having children, or if you've got a child who's going to become, you know, in that elementary school age, you really do hunt for a place that has a quote good school. I think it means we need to rearrange what we think a good school.
Speaker 4: Is, agreed, absolutely, And I think it's also telling and interesting, you know, And something maybe it wouldn't occurred to me is some of the observations that Alice made about these gifted programs and how perhaps they are a little more regimented and maybe a little less willing to make, you know, concessions and help students who are quote unquote different, which is interesting considering that these programs are are designed for kids that are a little.
Speaker 3: Bit different in one way or another.
Speaker 4: And again, she wasn't speaking directly to the gifted school teachers or administrators not paying attention to these issues, but it did seem like there was a struggle to get her son categorized in a way that was actually helpful, and that it ultimately resulted even though he tested, you know, to be a part of these programs, it ultimately resulted in getting kind of booted out you know, which is another really bad experience to have as a kid who's already feeling othered and as an outcast, to be sort of like taken out of your normal situation, which maybe was even working fine as it sounds it maybe was, and then put in this new situation that as all of a sudden, you're like being eaten alive kind of And it's just I can only imagine that someone who is neurodivergent would not respond very well to that, and I'm glad that it all worked out in the end.
Speaker 2: Do you guys ever think we should unpair education and socialisation and make those two separate things. I don't know. I wonder if that's what causes problems for especially neurodivergent individuals.
Speaker 1: Right, it's tough because the environment in which a juvenile informing brain is functioning is just so radically different. That environment simply did not exist in the past. You know, a lot of the conventional socialization methods throughout human history were in person, and now for many people, that in person mix of socialization has radically decreased. There are some really good, really good things that happen when you see extracurricular cultural education like a lot of my friends whose parents are Japanese nationals, when they spend time in the US, they went to a US school and then afterwards they went to Japanese school, which is all about the culture of Japan, language learning, history of Japan and stuff. You can see this also with some religious schools. You can also see this with any number of cultural programs or community centers. And I think that socialization free from the sort of top down teach for the test problem that is plaguing in the US right now, I think it can be a little more helpful to kids because you don't have to have the same learning style as someone to socialize with them. But you do have to have a pretty narrow band of learning styles to succeed in the to succeed in the current state of public education, that's.
Speaker 4: Right, and I mean short of having all of the resources in the world financially to be able to send your kid to the exact right school that suits their exact right needs, or to hire a special you know, to be able to be one on one with your kid, you do kind of have to figure out how to make your kids school experience work within a pre existing system that is as we know, imperfect, despite the best efforts of many of the folks that work at these places, you know, because we know that folks that work at these schools do it out of love and out of most for the most part, out of love and out of commitment, you know, to children, because they certainly aren't doing it for you know, the big bucks.
Speaker 3: So it's it's tough.
Speaker 4: And I think that's a really good point that you both brought up about socialization versus education. But unfortunately, you know, the experience that kids get in school is their kind of first exposure to socialization, and oftentimes it's a real negative one.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, I mean it's it's definitely cold water. You know, you're putting You're putting a child in gen pop surrounded by other kids, all of sort of unknown variables. It's not it is not unexpected for dissent and tension to occur. But I do have to say the problem, at least from my perspective, and I've only formally studied education a bit so non expert, but the problem has never been the teachers, by and large, right, And when we are talking in critical ways about the education system, we are not talking about the teachers. By and large, you know, who break their hearts and spend their own money trying to give people opportunities that this nation promised them. You know, they're following up on what was agreed. And yes there are cases of predators in the education system. Yes there are cases of what we would consider abusive teaching styles now and we're going to meet someone later in the show who came up under one of those systems. But I love that you're pointing it out in all the the teachers are not the problems. It's not the teachers who say, forget learning and inclusivity and five oh four plans, let's make sure kids are only good at this milestone test.
Speaker 3: That's not the teachers.
Speaker 1: That's the admin in the system above them forcing them to do that. Even when they say it's a bad idea.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: And even those admins, it's not like it's their idea. You know, they're charged with meeting certain benchmarks, you know, in order to get the meager funding they do get right, and if they don't meet those then they can lose that funding and things can be even worse for them.
Speaker 3: So it really is it's kind of.
Speaker 4: A catch twenty two and also just last thing for me, the whole socialization aspect, Like even though we often can explain it away or say, oh, it's just you know, we're throwing you in the deep end and then you got to you gotta sink or swim, but we know that doesn't work for everybody, and it can result in a long term trauma, you know, to well, you know, children who have bullying experiences that go unchecked, they go unnoticed, and that can follow them for their entire lives too. So it is just really important to listen to your kids, even if they're not talking to you about it directly, just pay attention. And if you have the sense that your kid is being messed with, if not physically, you know, emotionally is worse, you know. And now with all of the horrific ways that that kids can be access you know, via the Internet and docked and all of these horrible things, like we know that can lead to serious negative outcomes. So I would just you know, I know there's no parent out there that loves their kid that isn't thinking about these kinds of things. But I would just say, you know, keep an eye on it, because it's something that can go unnoticed because kids oftentimes, you know, don't want to let you know because they're ashamed or they don't know how to put it into words or something.
Speaker 3: So I mean, it's just something to be aware of.
Speaker 2: I think another thing to look out for NOIL is something you may be unaware of. Similarly is if your kid might be exaus phibiting bullying behaviors at school, because you might you might not be aware, and your child, you know, may not be doing it for any malicious reason. Besides, they're mixed up about something, right, So I don't know. Just it's just a call out to remember to talk with your kids, talk with your parents, be open about things, and communicate.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't mean you're a terrible parent, you know, if you're you know, because the way we I think think about it or assume is that if a kid is a bully, it's because they're responding to something horrible at home or they're being bullied at home, and it's not That's not always the case. There's there's a million reasons that kids could exhibit certain behaviors. So again, it's just really important, I think, to all of our points just to keep you know, keep be mindful, you know, and be vigilant.
Speaker 3: Well, you don't have to be a helicopter parent to do that either, So I think that's it. Let's take a quick break, and well, thanks.
Speaker 4: Again Alice by the way for the for the lovely email. We're gonna take a quick break and then we'll be back with one more piece of listener mail.
Speaker 1: And we have returned a slight teaser here. Want to give a shout out to let's call you a JL who just sent a letter to us. We read every letter we get about a troubling case of blasto mycosis in Michigan. Tune in because we're going to get back to that one later. For now, I'm going to give a shout out to a friend of ours, friend of the show, who did not give themselves a moniker. And if you will trust us, a fellow conspiracy realist, why don't we call you the Funky House. It makes sense to you. Right, everybody else is listening, they're going, that's a weird name. But trust us. We workshopped at we did some market research. It's good ten ten. So the Funky House says Hello. Ben Matt Nole, big fan of the show, listening to all for a couple of years now. You may have covered this subject before, so my apologies, have I missed your discussion of this topic on a previous episode. The subject title looks a little wonky. It also took me a couple tries to make sure I was spelling it correctly, but Medja Gore is a town and area in modern day Bosnia and Herzegovina where a group of children claimed to have been visited by visions of Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ since the early nineteen eighties. The Funky House, you have done us an immense favor. I remain astonished that we have not explored divine interventions or appearances right in a previous episode, so it has to be on the way. Yeah, this is This is fascinating. It's something that we don't always talk about, but we just we just had a great conversation with Ryan Bethay, the creator of the Exorcist Files, and it was it was a heck of a deep dive. So the and the infernal, I would say, are on our collective mind. Here's what the Funky House says. I first heard about these occurrences while I was attending Catholic elementary school during the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 3: I grew up.
Speaker 1: Outside of Washington, d c. In a fairly safe and progressive suburb. The school I attended was very old school, conservative Catholic and its views and its discipline. This is what I was talking about was some teachers having teaching methods that we would consider abusive today. The Funky House goes into detail about some of the very uncool things that these instructors were doing. Anyway, I want to paint the picture of the main topic of this email and how we were taught about it. In June nineteen eighty one, a group of kids, some like six in total, claimed to have been visited by Jesus's mother on a hill in modern day Bosnia Herzegovina. It was at the time the Federal or the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Pause there, have you guys ever heard of this incident?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 1: Nope, Yeah, but we've all heard of people claiming that they have seen, course like a visitation, right.
Speaker 4: Sometimes in the form of a piece of burnt toast or you know, a shadow, you know, But yeah, I mean it's again. In the conversation with Ryan. The fine line between divine intercession or demonic intercession and mental illness or mental wellness is something that I think is very interesting to all of us.
Speaker 2: But when a group of six kids witnesses something together, in my mind is is it? You know? Are they playing a game? Are they actually experiencing something? How do you prove that they experienced something? Of this is fascinating. I can't wait to dive into that.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, like witch trial stuff, you know, where you had people that were claiming to have experienced things simultaneously, or the screaming girls of Malaysia, you know where oftentimes it's a mass hysteria kind of situation, or the real deal.
Speaker 1: They did titch it, bas So man, all right, so yeah, agreed on all points. Here is what the Funky House says. Words started to spread as more and more people began hearing about events and visiting the children while they interacted with Mary on an almost daily basis and more than one appearance, the government got Yeah, the government got involved, which probably gave the situation a lot more attention than the government would have wanted. The kids were heavily questioned, sent to psychologists to determine if they were lying or to your pointment, playing a game. Some of the information I read says the Funky House. It claims that the kids were not all experiencing a group psychological episode, nor did the doctors believe them to be deceptive. The situation continued. People in the church, whether it be Eastern Orthodox or Catholic, started to take notice, some saying they believed the children and then becoming critics of those kids.
Speaker 3: Later.
Speaker 1: Nevertheless, people around the world, mostly Catholic, began traveling to this area to witness the children interact with Mary. Although only the kids could see the visions. The government was initially very skeptical and critical of the children, and they began to see the economic benefit of tourism, so they started promoting it.
Speaker 3: Than Yeah, I mean hear that kind.
Speaker 4: Of stuff with the toast, you know, I mean right, like it's almost I think it's been parodied in some television series and it's escaping me which one, but no, I know what it was. It was actually in Breaking Bad or I'm sorry and better call Saul. We're in order to get a continuance of some kind or to hold up a deal with like a bulldozing a man's property.
Speaker 3: They claimed to have seen virgin Mary.
Speaker 4: On like a fence or something like that, and it had been brought all of this tourism.
Speaker 1: And there's a great episode of Always Studying in Philadelphia about what what is thought to be a divine water staying. Very very smart show, very well written. So here's how the Funky Hoose walks us through the process. No one can see Mary except for these kids, and that often happens in a lot of these sightings. The process for interacting with Mary involves the children praying with a rosary, a prayer band the Catholics use in some ceremonies, and then entering an almost trance like state as they interact with the visions of Mary. These events usually last for a few minutes but are apparently very powerful. Most reports state the kids are the only ones to actually see the visions, but people in the crowd have stated they were moved by their experiences, and some did claim to see stuff versions of lights popping around the area and the funky houses. Kindergarten teacher, whom he notes was just an absolute great person, went to this area in Herzegovina and was so moved by her experience that she became a nun, so she definitely felt something, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Oh, this all sounds like Missus Davis to me. I think they ripped that show off of this whole thing. Not really, but it sounds very similar.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, I didn't think about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the one. By the where's the There's a big AI thing that's going on in this kind of controlling the world. Everyone's addicted to it, but there's one single nun that can fight back because she's not connected. It's fantastic. I would highly recommend the show. But she speaks, well, I don't want to spoil too much. I'm going to spoil a little bit. If you don't want to hear a spoiler about Missus Davis, skip forward for a second. Here we go Missus Davis. The nun can physically close her eyes, meditate and see Jesus, and at one point interacts with Mary and then she comes out of her trance like state and comes back to reality. It sounds like that's exactly what these kids are doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is also, by the way, where the invention of nunchucks came from. No pun left behind. I'm not above it. Anyway, so the oh gosh, I ka wait to hear other versions of that joke. Please forgive us those of the monastic orders. We have said so, we have said, and can, and we'll continue in the future. We're getting quite good at it, so the Funky House says. The visions have continued throughout the years, with hundreds of thousands of people around the world participating in the events. Up until today. There are podcasts, books, websites all devoted to this phenomenon. Here's where it gets crazy, Sorry, says the Funky House. I've always wanted to write that. The Catholic Churches, an organization, has not yet made an official statement on these events. It seems like the view of the Church depends on whichever pope is currently in power. Pope John Paul the second was sympathetic with the children, but did not consider this a miracle or didn't declare it as such. Pope Benedict was more critical, and Pope Francis said we need more investigation. So officially the Catholic Church has not said, yes, you are being visited by Mary, the Mother of Jesus, but it seems like unofficially it's getten. A lot of attention, and a lot of people, including members of the clergy, absolutely believe this. And then the Funky Ause talks about transubstantiation, the belief that upon being blessed bread and wine does physically change into the body and blood of Christ during Mass. He talks a little more about the other divine visitations of the past, visions of Fatima from nineteen seventeen, which was one of the big secrets that popes used to learn when they became official. We talked about that one a little bit in the past with secrets to the Vatican, and more and more people skeptics are trying to prove these events are a hoax or kind of find discrepancies in the kid's stories. And the weird part is, as a Funky House points out, even if this was initially like a hoax, a game of make believe gone awry and astray, they seem to have fully committed to their stories. Their stories don't change over time, and keeping six people on the same message for forty years, as the Funky House points out, that's a tall milkshake. At this point, you have to ask, you know, regardless of our own spiritual beliefs or lack thereof what would compel compel this group of people to have this story and stick to it.
Speaker 3: The power of Christ the capel them. There we go.
Speaker 2: Well, it sounds like I've looked. This is just my personal opinion. If it sounds like a fun game, you guys, the adults all think we're like actually talking to Mary. We'll just keep doing it.
Speaker 1: And then when one kid says, well, I actually am yeah exactly, and then the message spreads, just like in a stadium where everybody does the wave.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's all a game until somebody gets hurt or whatever. I mean again, you see this in plot lines a lot where these kinds of things happen where it is a game, but then one member of the of the group starts to take it more seriously than the rest, and then they're in too deep and they have to cover for each other and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Have you guys read Fouko's Pendulum.
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 1: It's by umberto Echo and it is a it is so it's so weird. It's about, if I remember correctly, I haven't read quite some time. It's kind of like what you're describing. It's like where people invent a kind of intellectual game or conspiracy, and it gets out of control and it becomes increase real for them, sort of like what's that other film that wonderful Kate Winslet film, Fantastic.
Speaker 4: Creatures, Oh well, Heavenly Creatures, Creatures all beautiful.
Speaker 3: I loved it. I loved it.
Speaker 4: It's just you can't stream anywhere, by the way, or maybe you can, but it was really hard to get.
Speaker 3: I have a copy of it on DVD.
Speaker 4: But Peter Jackson one of his first movies, unlike anything he's ever done. You can get a hold of it. Please watch it. It's an ext It's like a fle ade kind of situation, right.
Speaker 1: Stay for the claymation alone. Sure, and it's based on a true story. It's disturbing. So we know this kind of social dynamic, to the point about socialization earlier, it can have real world effects. You know, an idea, my opinion, is very close to a living thing, and it is transmitted between people. It grows from them. You know, we're all the roots of collective ideas, and we feed them and we nourish them so.
Speaker 3: They can metastasize too.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm very toxic.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and with this I do want to give one more piece to the Funky House's letter, which is quite through, so we're pulling excerpts or not reading the whole thing here, but very well written. And the Funky House pointed out something that I think was going to be one of our immediate collective questions. Did these six individuals become rich and famous? You know what I mean? Are they hitting up Oprah or whatever the Bosnian equivalent of Oprah is. They have made appearances on media, but they don't seem to be chasing the limelight. There does not seem to be a strong financial motivation. At least maybe there is when we just have to dig deeper, but I don't know. I'm also thinking, like practicing empathy here at the current state of science, it is possible to it is possible to do some fun brain monitoring such that you could tell if the kids or the former kids believe their own story, right, you could tell that, but it's really difficult to see what they're seeing. There's some good groundbreaking research going on right now that will allow scientists to see an image that you are imagining in your head. So like if you say, think of something you sit on and you're wired up to these contraptions, and you think of a couch, then they can see that image of a couch from your brain and decode it. But again, that's a long way away from proving that the Mother of Jesus Christ is making these appearances, and we have to be careful not to leap too far. But like within the how would you approach it if you were receiving visions and would you tell people about them? Would you do what the visions told you?
Speaker 4: God, I hope not to the second one, And God, I hope so that I would tell people about that, all the appropriate people about them.
Speaker 3: I would hope.
Speaker 4: You know, I've been watching Legion lately. Have you guys seen Legion? It's incredible, Matt, It's so up your alley. It's like it's barely it's a comic book show. But it's like about an alternate reality kind of version. It's all alternate reality, alternate dimension I guess, multiverse version of the X Men.
Speaker 3: And there is a I guess like you did.
Speaker 4: With Missus Davis minor tiny functional spoiler, but uh five four three two one. It is mutants that are very powerful that are being kept in what appears to be a psychiatric institution, and they are made to believe that the visions they are having are in fact psychotic episodes, and that their powers are in fact psychiatric issues that have to be medicated away and dealt with.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Exactly why I brought that up, just on my mind, but the idea of visions and they're them having a function, you know, and and are they telling you something or is it just you know, your mind breaking down or the product of some trauma that is unaddressed.
Speaker 2: I think I watched a couple of episodes. I just remember a lot of blood and death at some point early on.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 3: It's just really smart.
Speaker 4: It's very like twelve Monkeys meets like Michelle Gondry or something, or like Oh, I think he hero Mariah had something to do with it, who's an incredible director, and it's the guy that also created that, Noah Holly is his name, who did like the Fargo television series. And it's just incredibly clever and smart and beautifully shot.
Speaker 1: And it's based off the comic character who is the son of Professor X. I would also say there's a little one threw over the Cookar's nest in it in a very good tight So this, uh, well, what about you bett before before I play my hand and get us out of the show. Here, what what would you do if you received visions that were let's say, attempting to persuade you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'd build that arc? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah? What not?
Speaker 2: If if it was building an arc, if it was doing something nefarious or you know, bad to that would affect or hurt somebody else, then hell no. But man, if if something shiny came down it was like there is a flood a coming and we need a boat, and I'll be like, yes.
Speaker 3: Hey about that, you know, keep me busy, keep me out of trouble. I'll build an arc.
Speaker 4: I got a backyard, I got some wood clan, I got some saw horses and power tools.
Speaker 1: Let's get let me finish playing this League of Legends campaign. And I am right on it.
Speaker 3: God, Oh no, you're right.
Speaker 2: I would just play video games instead.
Speaker 3: You're not to leave you hanging, but man, this campaign is ripping.
Speaker 1: God have you heard of best feeds? Because I feel like you got to shift your priorities a little ouch ie, get it. So it is a question, because your mental stability is one of the most sacrisanct things that you possess, right, and we have to be very protective of that. We have to have these boundaries and things that make us question those boundaries. They can be profound learning opportunities. They can also be profoundly dangerous. I've experienced hallucinations before. You would call them. I don't think the medical community likes to call them visions. A lot of people throughout history have had these feelings of divine intervention, and not folks you might expect, not like the Joan of arcs of the world, but people like Winston Churchill, who famously said he survived a car accident because there is a quote golden voice that speaks to him and tells him to do certain things. And when he was getting into this vehicle, this voice, I believe it was Churchill, this voice told him to sit on a different side of the car.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And again, you know, maybe that's just the brain, which is a magnificent machine, trying to make sense of things that otherwise don't make sense. Maybe that's how we understand these hints and these I don't know these inclinations, but I think here we can open the door and ask our fellow conspiracy realist, do you know anyone who feels they have received vision, a premonition, right even up to an including a divine visitation. Do you feel that you yourself have experienced something like this. We would love to hear your stories. We know this can be a very personal topic to a lot of people, skeptics and died in the Wold, believers in divine visitation alike. So join us on the next journey. Big big thanks of course to Alice. Congratulations to your son, Elice, Big big thanks to the Funky House. And there's one guy, a man, a legend that we have to end this show with. That's right, folks, Big b.
Speaker 2: The Big Bean.
Speaker 3: It's the Big Bean. Guys, it's the Big Bean.
Speaker 2: It's the big big Bean.
Speaker 4: And hey, if you want to be big like the Big Bean in an internet y way, you can reach out to us in one of several ways, one of which is finding us at the handle Conspiracy Stuff, where we are on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter, Conspiracy Stuff Show on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: Hey, do you like phones, then call the number one eight three three st d WYTK. When you call in. It's a voicemail system. Leave one. You've got three minutes. Give yourself a cool nickname, and let us know if we can use your name and message on the air. If you don't want to do any of that stuff, why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 1: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know. Is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.