Speaker 1: It's a lead fifteen to ten touchdown shuts. All right, guys, welcome into a brand new trading camp addition to Chargers Weekly.
Speaker 2: Look at this.
Speaker 1: I got the radio team. I got the radio team. On day one, Money you did.
Speaker 3: I was supposed to tell DJ that he was doing this after our radio broadcast for the Petros and Money portion of the opening of training camp, which we went nine to noon, and I forgot, and I said to Chris, I was like, you know, everybody's gone. Should we just come back tomorrow and set up and do it? And he's like, no, remember, we're gonna talk to DJ. DJ's gonna it's gonna be our annual DJ podcast. And I was like, yeah, DJ just found out. I didn't think. The good news is DJ had already committed to going to mister Pickles with me for a sandwich, so I know he's got time. You can't be like, oh, I got to get out of here.
Speaker 4: All the changes. Whose cards going up to.
Speaker 2: The exactly right, so that's not changed.
Speaker 1: Money's gonna swipe it was he easy on you with the padres. How much padres he was.
Speaker 5: Actually, this is the thing. Is a padre as somebody who's a Padre fan. They he views us as so irrelevant, they're not even worth their exactly. I mean, he's not even gonna make fun of me, you know, that would put us on sometimes equal footage.
Speaker 4: He's not gonna do that. So I was spared.
Speaker 3: But that's the blessing, right. The Dodgers are supposed to beat the Padres, so when they do, he gives me the well obviously, and then when they don't, like last year, when it's six months of pain. So it really you know, in terms of this conversation, Yeah, let's just table that one because we talked baseball for the first minute of it.
Speaker 5: I was excited to forget money, but I was excited to be with you, to see you again. How how are the twins here?
Speaker 1: The girls are good, the girls getting big, almost two years old. Things have changed in the last couple of years. I remember doing this podcast not knowing when they were gonna be here to Dallas, And now fast forward, we have a we have a brand new squad here. The offensive coordinator of those Dallas Cowboys is now in Los Ange. And really, just I think the vibes today, guys were great. You talked to who'd you guys talk to everyone today, Staley, Telesco.
Speaker 3: Darwin, Derwin, Keenan. Everybody was in a great mood. A lot of energy. That was the term that Derwin used, and I thought that was accurate. He said, there's just a lot of energy out there. A lot of guys just kind of bouncing around, very excited about you know, what's ahead of them.
Speaker 1: And you, guys, admit, I really feel for you till twenty twenty nine. You gotta call Justin hur right. I mean, just the fact that this guy done DJ before day one a camp. No distractions, We're just playing ball now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's huge, and you know, it's it's rare that you find a team that doesn't have some issue that's lingering.
Speaker 4: You know, and there's nothing here. It is just football.
Speaker 5: And you could see it on really on Tom's face, on Tom Telesco's face.
Speaker 4: You could hear it in the voice of Brandon Staley, how excited they are. It is solely focused on football.
Speaker 5: They're not happy with the way the year ended last year, of course, but this team comes back healthier. They've added some nice pieces in the draft as well as in free agency and money. And I were talking about this earlier Charges have always been talked about as one of the more talented teams in the NFL, and you know it hasn't worked out. The last two seasons are great examples. It just the last game of the year did not go the way that you wanted to go. That being said, this is the most talented roster that they've employed since we've been doing this.
Speaker 1: It's crazy and you know money last week we talked about I think maybe the number one on field storyline was just the health of j C. Jackson and you see this PBu and Keenan Allen just to start like that, that seven on seven session when he's healthy, I mean, what a pleasant surprise after the severity of what that injury was to see him back full.
Speaker 3: Strike just a little uh you know, pull the well, not really pulling the curtain back, but because I don't think it was on the air, but prior to the start of practice, we were talking about bout JC and and they said, yeah, you know, we kind of make sure.
Speaker 2: To hold him back like that's what that's what they said. He is.
Speaker 3: And you know, DJ been around a lot of players. Some guys they get hurt and they're just content to be training camp. I'll just tell him that it's lingering, and you know, when it's time to turn it on, I'll turn it on. But they say jac wants to get out there and get after it, and that's very encouraging, like you said, Chris, especially considering the severity of the injury. We talked to Derwin and you know, he talked about that defensive back group and when you hear him start rattling off the names, it's like, yeah, there's a pretty darn good group on the back end of this defense.
Speaker 1: Money we did. I think I think you guys pulled a tease from last week. We were talking about j C and we rattled of all these guys. Everybody was upset we didn't mention the Sante Samuel Jr. Yeah, and you know, Asta, there's three interceptions when he just or DJ rather the back end when you have a sante in his third year and jac coming back and what Michael Davis was able to do last year, and then what we hope is a healthy Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack. You know, I feel like j C's almost like this this new free agent that wasn't even on the team last year.
Speaker 4: It's huge. And to me, when you look at the community positions, there's two groups.
Speaker 5: The two biggest groups are you're going to look at the offensive line group and the dB group, and that's where communication is huge. So when you have some continuity there, when you have guys that have been in the same system or have been around each.
Speaker 4: Other, usually those groups take steps.
Speaker 5: And I think when you look at on the offensive side, which we've talked about getting Rashaan Slater back. Now this is a young group, but they've played a lot together, and now you look on.
Speaker 4: The defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 5: The communication Derwin talked about all the you know, the different things he loves to do, using him in different roles, Well, that's all got to be communicated, you.
Speaker 4: Know, when you're moving him around like that.
Speaker 5: So having Allie Gilman back there with him, and now there's continuity between those guys and Asante now has got more experience and Mike Davis has been doing his thing. I think that's one of the more underrated components in the National Football League is the continuity because of the communication is necessarily.
Speaker 4: Those two positions.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you something, Chris, like the thing that jumped in and we're we were doing the radio show, so we kind of were watching everything at a distance. We weren't really able to get up close and on the drills. But man, you know, it was interesting the way it laid out right because you have Smith and Jig Bigo, and then Quentin Johnson goes, and then Say Flowers goes, and then Jordan Addison goes. So these four will be measured against one another, specifically the guys that were taken early. But just getting the first look at Johnston and DJ Howard talking and I saw a play and then DJ saw another play and we both just kind of said this se You just saw him snatch the ball out of the air and he was gone, I mean gone on those quick slants. It's exciting to see someone after kind of watching what they were doing in college and then you see him out here and it's just I don't know, Dj, it's like a different backdrop that you're watching.
Speaker 4: No, No, it's real speed. And that's a group that's so big.
Speaker 5: You know, when you think about Keenan and Mike and how big they are and how physical they are, then you see a guy who has that same type of body type. Now Obviously those guys are so accomplished, and I'm not comparing him in that sense, but just when he catches it and his foot hits the ground, there's a gear that he has that this team doesn't have, you know, so to be able to plug him in with that talented group, and it sounds like and talking to Derwin, he mentioned the fact that you know these guys are all communicating. Well, they're taking the young guys under their wing. There's no there's no competition there in terms of, oh he's gonna take targets away from me.
Speaker 4: They're really helping him grow and develop, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: See and with Justin Herbert, the controls he threw this bomb to John High Tower today looks like Billy from years ago. The fact that Joshua Palmer is the guy that we were not had an amazing catch. I think he may have been out of bounds on another one, but it doesn't really matter who's getting the targets, like Justin's gonna find you, Darius Davis another guy, you know, a rookie just to see you see Keenan who has been with this organization the longest of anybody doing drills. And then all of a sudden, you see you know Darius Davis number twelve and his speed. I mean, that's another guy who's gonna probably contribute on special teams and maybe be that fifth.
Speaker 4: Or sixth receiver.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's huge, and you know that's gonna be a big role for them, you know, having that that other speed element, because with Justin I mean, and you have speed out there, not only with his arm, can he reach we're on.
Speaker 4: The field and be able to get those explosive plays.
Speaker 5: Austin Eckler's gonna love it, money, because you're gonna scare safeties out of there, even if you're not connecting, even if you're not throwing the ball to those guys. Just having that speed element in the offense is going to create more.
Speaker 3: Space and space for the running game, you know. And that's the other thing you brought up the j when we were watching just looking at Rashaan Slater and thinking about that Linsley Filer Slater left side of the line and how effective it was two years ago. It completely disappeared last year. Slater just looks I don't know if he's just kind of got a little bit of a baby face or something. But you look at the way he's just the way he looks as he's walking around this year versus his rookie season, it looks like a different person.
Speaker 5: He's intentional, like there is somebody that is really out to remind everybody of how great he is. This is one of the best players in the NFL, regardless of position.
Speaker 4: I know, we only had that one year where.
Speaker 5: He saw he was elite. He walked onto an NFL field, was a first year player. It was an elite player Chase Young first week.
Speaker 1: It's gonna say, I taught. I had a conversation with somebody last night about that week game. And we know how like respectful and nice for sawanslater is he's almost like disrespectful on the field, Like it's it's so easy. He made he made Chase Young look like a mid round man disappear.
Speaker 3: I completely, you know, set the tone. God doesn't even have his fifty year option picked up. I mean, that was the that was the beginning of the end of Chase Young. And I'm excited about about that front. I think, you know, there's so much and especially the way it ended for the Chargers that's said, Oh, we hear this every year, but again, you just forget how many injuries they had on that team, and like specifically the offensive line. You know when when you're you're in a playoff game and Sawyer gets hurt and you're going up against you know, that pass rush of Josh Allen and Travon Walker and they have really good arden Key was down there, like, and you've got Foster Surrell out there. Nothing against him, but he's a depth piece and you're in a playoff game, and you can just imagine now the talent they have with all the skill position players we listed, but most importantly up front, you've got that protection to give that arm that extra beat or two that you need to push that ball downfield.
Speaker 1: The offensive list. Your evaluation is probably relatively fresh of what Zion did last year and then what Sawyer was at Georgia and how he was thrust in the action of left tackle. The fact that those guys are kind of swapping spots on each side of respective line. How do you think that's gonna shake up with Sawyer moving the right guard and then Zion going to left guard.
Speaker 5: Well, I think the tackle to guard thing is gonna be fine for Sawyer. He's got some experience playing guard, so it's not new to him there, and you know, to me get a chance to play with neighbors is gonna be nice because now you've got your edges protected, and now you've got somebody that can really roll his hips and drive block and move people, and he can anchor down and pass protection.
Speaker 4: He's gonna be great. I don't have any concern about that whatsoever. Zion.
Speaker 5: I think is probably more of a challenging one, you know, just switching from one side to the other.
Speaker 4: But again he's got experience, he's got experience doing it.
Speaker 1: I think you got two all pros on your side.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sandwich between two All pros, So that's a pretty good spot to be in. I think they'll be fine and maybe a little bit of an adjustment period. But these guys, the things that made them good as young players, as rookies is effect. They're incredibly smart and incredibly tough and that doesn't change wherever you're playing.
Speaker 1: But last week you've were rattled off. I think the comments of talking about Dan Henley, and from from Tuley to Henley, you're always looking at guys and identify guys that are going to make a contribution this year. What did you see out of two lead usc in Henley of Washington State that makes you believe that they could contribute this year in some meaningful way.
Speaker 4: Well, you start with production.
Speaker 5: I mean a lot of times with players, you're trying to okay, let's let's let's just kind of.
Speaker 4: Forecast in the future of what.
Speaker 5: They can do, and they haven't figured out yet. Maybe once they get it figured out, they'll be something you don't have.
Speaker 2: To do that.
Speaker 5: These guys are productive players that have played a lot of football. I mean, Tweto, I believe was leading the nation in sacks. Yeah, so you look at the production he has. You know, he's a finisher, he's Someway, that's stout against the run. He he's really really strong, heavy handed guy. So he is not going to wow you on the Stopwatch.
Speaker 4: That's not who he is.
Speaker 5: He's not a tester, but he's a rock solid football player who's going to fit in and have a role on this team. And then dayon Henley, you know, goes from Nevada to Washington State. The speed, the explosiveness that jumps off the tape. You watch him, you know, play the pass, which you have to do at linebacker in this league.
Speaker 4: He's very comfortable doing that.
Speaker 5: So you know, I think he'll find his way initially, probably in some sub situations. You just get him in some third down packages and I think you'll see his rope, you know, continue.
Speaker 2: To grow throughout the year.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm interested in Jada to see because you know, you talk about guys coming back from injury. Oh you're adding you know last year you didn't really get to add j C. Jackson, You get to add him this year. Well, you're adding a healthy Joey Boseig miss most of the season.
Speaker 2: You're adding.
Speaker 3: But to me, like I'm I think I'm most interested in the second year players and thinking about how little they got out of Woods.
Speaker 2: They got nothing out of Spiller, he barely played.
Speaker 3: You saw a little bit out of John Taylor, because that's essentially like adding another rookie.
Speaker 2: Class because of how little they play. Eight.
Speaker 3: We get focused on the rookies because we haven't seen him yet. We don't have any negative connotations with them. But I just folk, you know, we've already talked about the secondary. To me, it's the running back and just kind of whether or not they have that player on this team that can help keep Austin healthy and have him at peak production by the time the postseason rolls around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wish we could have just seen some of Spiller to know it for ourselves, you know. Apparently you know, you see what you saw on the practice field, and they had other options there. Joshua Kelly played great when he was healthy and out there on the field, so I'm excited to see him continue to improve and then have that role as kind of a power back, short yard is back and finisher of runs. But to me, Spiller is a huge that's a huge component. You know, you've got Roundtree there, but to me, Spiller brings you some juice. So if you can get him out there, get him comfortable and confident in his assignment, what he's doing, catch the ball out of the backfield as well, so that you're right money, that could be kind of like a bonus rookie because we didn't see him last year.
Speaker 1: A couple that with just a commitment to run this year under killing more and you know, we're envisioning what it's going to look like. We don't know exactly what it's going to look like yet, but but you're excitement level to see Kellen Moore and Justin Herbert kind of start this new marriage.
Speaker 4: We visited with Kellen a little bit before practice, and.
Speaker 5: It's it's almost if you're when you're talking to him, you feel like you're talking to Justin. Like they from a personality standpoint, I don't know if you find a better match, and then when you look at the system and how that's going to play out.
Speaker 3: Great commercials, Yes, they are those local car commercial.
Speaker 4: Up in the Pacific Northwest. Fantastic.
Speaker 5: I'm excited to see what looks like because I think coming from Coach Peterson at Boise and then his experience with Coach Lenahan and then obviously with the Dallas Cowboys running the show there and how productive those offenses were, I think he's shown, and Coach Daily mentioned this the ability to kind of morph and change around the personnel that he has, So I don't think we're gonna see exactly the same thing we saw with the Dallas Cowboys. I'm excited to see what this Kellen Moore offense looks like.
Speaker 2: Here with the Chargers and interested.
Speaker 3: You just feel like there's always that one player that just sort of John said, we were trying to find it. You know when we're watching just the the undrafted free agents or size there is it? Ask we saw you were talking to Chip Kelly. He was out here the u c l A head coach. Is it one of the running backs?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: You know which one of these individus? Look, maybe it's just one of the later round picks like we had with Jamari Sawyer. You know, maybe it's Matt lock Like you stand next to that guy he is, I don't he's got him.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Does anybody have a thicker trunk than that on the on the team? I mean, that guy is gigantic.
Speaker 4: That's a big man.
Speaker 1: Austin Johnson at Tito Ivonia, I think they're on the pupa start, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so Matt Locke may have a role.
Speaker 1: You know, see if you can get some meaningful run, you know, is there.
Speaker 4: A way you could find like maybe like a place where there's.
Speaker 3: I was I was just gonna say, I think this pod is going to be cut a little bit short because I know my knees feel as though they are on the surface of the sun. And then I look over at DJs and I'm like, I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that back of the knee sweat was but a real thing.
Speaker 1: So DJ during this during the summer, we're on like riverside like this. You know, we're in our home offices. We're just we're just riffing for fifty minutes. It's not gonna be a fifty minute. I should know when Chris, when Chris was had the lifeguard.
Speaker 5: Look today, with all of the sun, I knew what I was in for.
Speaker 4: You think I would have been a border break.
Speaker 1: I blame I blamed Greg Kim Right before, justin Herbert's UH press conference, he goes, hey, you want some fifty and I put it on. He goes hey, just so you know, you really gotta rub it in. And then I look at at my phone and I look like it's completely white. I look like a mine.
Speaker 3: You got the inc going have the zinc in there. You gotta cover. And that's why this pot is going to be very short. This is exactly this is I am. I am absolutely who's our sponsor?
Speaker 4: By you have a sponsor for this?
Speaker 3: Right s fifty That's the Thingimetri.
Speaker 2: It's you know what it's gonna be. It's gonna be some sort of alo ea.
Speaker 3: And that's something or you know, arctic ice. Just hit up the gas station and get a whole bag and throw that in mind.
Speaker 1: Let's let's wrap it here, and let's because you guys just had a long interview with with coach Staley. The biggest takeaway talking to coach today, this is his third year. You know, you look at his first season nine and eight, second year ten and seven, you get to the playoffs. We know how it ended, but this is a perfect opportunity to kind of keep building. What he's doing here.
Speaker 5: I would say there is a calm and confidence on a level that I haven't seen yet. I mean, coach has has taken this team, They've taken steps I think he's got rightfully, so reputation is one of the best defensive minds in the National Football League. We know is aggressive approach that he you know, got a reputation for being ultra aggressive, which we love.
Speaker 4: Calling the games.
Speaker 5: But to me, money, I don't know what your your takeaway was, but mine was just this is somebody who has really grown into this role and is comfortable.
Speaker 4: And is confident.
Speaker 3: You truly just took the two words out of my mouth. You didn't use them in your first description you used calm, collected, and then I was like, you know what, I've got comfortable in confident. But to me, that's you know, some people thought maybe this is an individual that was trying to make a name for himself with the fourth downs in his rookie campaign and how you know, there was a lot of speck. You know, he was very polarized and a very polarizing higher after one year as a coordinator, and it just feels like that is all gone. This is someone who's confident in his approach and what he does, how he does it. There's so many of the same people around him. There's not been a lot of roster turnover. Your stars are still here. You just signed the quarterback for the next seven years with a five year extension. There's just this, you know, continent. I will use another sea where continuity you know that there is confidence and continuity and that's what you get. Hey, this this front office ownership has provided me with an opportunity after missing the playoffs first year in week eighteen, Yeah, I see that, didn't rely that and I put sunscreen on.
Speaker 2: I still have the lifeguard.
Speaker 3: Look by the way, little bit, you just you just gotta pale look to Youah, what's the name.
Speaker 4: Of the lifeguard in the baseball movie? Uh? Uh Pepper Corn or whatever? What was her name?
Speaker 3: Trying to remember. You say lifeguard, and I just immediately think bay Watch.
Speaker 4: Wasn't you know the movie?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: What what's the baseball movie with the little kids? Uh? And Sandlot?
Speaker 5: Yes, sand Lot, Brian, what was the name of the lifeguard, like Cindy Peppercorn.
Speaker 2: Or something like that. That's what you're going with right now, exactly right now.
Speaker 4: You gotta watch that.
Speaker 5: Movie, man, come on, that a great look. Girls get older. You got to expose into that movie. It's a classic.
Speaker 3: We're all excited, Chris, they want a training camp. It was, Yes, it was an impressive collection of talent out there for us to watch today.
Speaker 2: And I don't say that lightly. This team looks like it's really really good. There's a lot of good players.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of talent in some of that coverage. I mean, these corners were on these wide receivers, almost like that sunblock is on your upper but it was. It was impressive. It was tight coverage.
Speaker 1: DJs Season A. This is the queue we got to get out of here for DJ and money. Chris has been charges weekly. Next week, we'll do this right after practice. We'll get some players have them roast for ten to twelve minutes like we did.
Speaker 3: We can maybe we can find a better set up this year. I'm thinking I'm thinking we might have a pop up, maybe the charge. Maybe there's a pop up somewhere at the facility that we can bring out this year. Yeah, we alway to the players. Karen's gonna bring us those light blue.
Speaker 2: Light blue diard boats. So yeah, business.
Speaker 3: The sun is right above us, so I'm just thinking there's gotta be and you know what, just let me know if I've got to buy it. If I've got to buy the pop up and I've got to bring it, I will bring it.
Speaker 5: Here's the deal, guys. You can do the interview and lose four pounds exactly when win.
Speaker 3: Wow, you lose four pounds, but you also lose four years on the back end of your life.
Speaker 2: So there's say right, thanks guys,