Speaker 1: Mute films. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to software Radio, Special Operations, Military Models. I'm straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on. This is rad a host of soft Reap Radio, and I have a really fun show today. We're gonna be talking to two veterans who have transitioned their lives into podcasts like myself. But first I gotta mention our merch store. I know you guys have been supporting us. We've been seeing some stickers and whatnot around being tagged on Instagram. Please keep supporting the merch store. You know, it's what keeps the gas on, the lights on, the sunglasses on. And also, we have a book club. If you notice, we've been interviewing a lot of authors, a lot of those books are in our book club. And that's soft rep dot Com Forward Slash Book hyphen Club. You already know it, You've already been listening. Now let's just get right into it. I've got Israel and Cameron with Pop Culture Field Manual podcast. Now, Israel is former Green Beret or maybe active, he'll answer that, and then Cameron is a former United States Army Ranger. Welcome to the show, gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having us. Man, We appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Rad.
Speaker 4: We are pumped to be here, my dude, and it is gonna be a good one.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. We were just sitting here chatting pre show and I was like, yeah, all sorts of cool things in the background. You've got like this shield back here with the latinin bowl. Is that? What is that? Tell me what that is?
Speaker 5: So I got my custom Neon sign.
Speaker 4: I wish I was made by like a veteran company, but not so legit China, dude, but this is actually the designated you to insignia of the seventy fifth range of regimen. So I got that all done up, and I got yeah, me and Israel we're on YouTube together for a channel called shift Fire.
Speaker 5: And then we got my.
Speaker 4: Tam beret, got my cibeb just all my all my accolades and cool things that make me seem legit, you know, yes, I mean I bought them all off eBay anyways, So I'm just trying to be as authentic as possible.
Speaker 2: You know, what do you think about that you can really get everything off of there, right, I mean, like, I mean, we to compact. Your LBT's on there, you got, like, no, it's everything's on their spirits.
Speaker 4: It's ridiculous the amount of access we have to Like, I mean, I love it just because obviously I'm a big gear guy, so it's cool that, you know, anybody can get anything. But it seems like in today's day and age, like they take that concept and they run with it. And for some reason, everyone who does stolen Valor, everybody who does Stolen Valor says they're rangers. So it's, uh, it must be it must be something in the water Man.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of rangers, right, is that right? Not many green Berets, you think. My dad always said my dad always said it was easy to get away as a captain or a second lieutenant than it was a major.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it's actually really interesting because green berets. There's actually a lot more Green Berets than there are rangers. I mean, there's a big misconception that if you went to ranger school, you're a ranger. If you're in the seventy fifth Ranger Regiment, you're year and know. So it's if you're in the seventy fifth Ranger Reedgiment you're considered a ranger. So if you just went to ranger school, your ranger qualified. But if you're not in the regiment, you're not considered an actual ranger. But yeah, there was I think thirty six hundred active rangers when I was in and that was twenty fifteen to the end of twenty eighteen, and then there's close to like nineteen or twenty k active Green Berets and reserve as well in there because there are no reserve rangers.
Speaker 5: So we are a tiny, little, tiny little club man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you guys, some people may not realize that, but you're a Tier one unit versus anything else because of the capacity of money that comes to you. It's tier one, where like SF's Tier two.
Speaker 4: Right, So we have just like SF, we have a Tier one asset and that's called RRC so Ranger Reconnaissance Company, and they're about on the same cusp as if you push over the Navy and see like dev gru Seal Team six and then obviously our Army brothers Delta Forest with Special Forces. But as just a seventy fifth range regement, we're actually tier two. So we have the same funding, we have the same pretty much assets from SOCOM and Jaysock and all that allocated to US as Green Berets. So green Bereays, Navy Seals, you know, pj's Rangers were all on the same yeah, cut tact bees as well in the Air Force.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're all in the same level.
Speaker 4: And then each unit has their own tier one that you can go through or just latterly go to different So I'm just a Tier two gay man, Tier two, just a tier two.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Israel, did you go through ranger school to go SF or did you just go eighteen X ray in as boot camp? How did you decide that?
Speaker 3: I had an interesting entry because I joined in two thousand and five and I actually had a Ranger or actually an option forty contract when I went in. And then halfway through basic training, I met some guys who were reclassing and going into the qualification course Special Force Qualification Course, and I was like, my recruiter didn't do a very good job of explaining what a Green Beret was and what it did. Yeah, and so Ranger I wanted to do something that was like out there in the field, out in the front lines kind of stuff. And so I was like, Ranger that sounds like a lot of fun. And then when those guys came and reclassed and they talked about what it was, and then a Green Beret recruiter came and talked about what SF did. I was like, that sounds like a lot of fun. That sounds like more fun, and so I had my contract change to an eighteen X race. So ride out of basic and after Airborne school went over to Fort Bragg and then we got to do the prep courses selection prep course and then on into the pipeline after.
Speaker 2: That, and used what a footstep after footstep after footstep after footstep with your head down and he just kept on your same cycle. Right, You didn't have to go through anything, You just you made it through. God chose you.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes he did, Yes, by God's grace alone, because you know, I would say that I went in with a I was pretty pretty athletic guy. That's always been in strength of mine. But there were some challenges in the Q course. So yes, it was definitely by God's grace that I was in to make it through. And then I went over to first group.
Speaker 2: Would you share a difficulty that you experienced. Maybe one of our listeners might be getting ready to go through the queue, and you could say, hey, you know, I struggled with my own mental sanity on this part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my biggest challenge when it came to the military was self confidence, and that self confidence can lead you to doubt the choices that you make when you're in the middle of like say, in selection, you have team week, everybody gets a chance to be a team leader, and I really struggled with that. I struggled with making decisions. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got in the military was never be afraid to make a decision, because you can always course correct, but it's hard to course correct when you're just out of it, not in motion, you know what I mean. So get move and make a decision, and then you can always adjust afterwards. So there and then also during Robin says there were a few moments where I really I lost my presence of mind because I kind of got into that panic mode and I was just like survival mode, and then I made some mistakes. You know. Thankfully I got to, like I say, course correct after that. But yeah, yeah, absolutely, self confidence. It's a you got to learn at some point to trust yourself beyond whatever, fear, whatever insecurities. Never be afraid to make a decision.
Speaker 2: You know, now, Cameron, when you went through RIP, what about you? Was there something that you know you really just was like this, I'm out man, but you didn't get out. It just was like you just had to keep going. What was it like snakes in them on the plane?
Speaker 5: Yeah? No, you know, every selection is extremely hard, right.
Speaker 4: I feel like nobody's gone through a selection and has thought in their mind like, wow, I really like this. It is super easy, but it's designed to be hard because the job itself is an extremely difficult job. And but you know, for me personally, cold Range and you know, you talk to any ranger that went through RIP back in the day or RASP what I went through.
Speaker 5: You know, cold range is kind of.
Speaker 4: That weed you out second week, five days, just getting the absolute crap beat out of you, and you know, getting starved, shivering in the cold, and they light a giant bonfire in the corner and like if you quit, you can stand next to it, and so everybody's looking at the bonfire and all the quitters are like getting warm, and you're just like crap, like this sucks. But for me, I yeah, Cole range was definitely difficult, just because you know, you have a mix of mental strength, physical strength, and then emotional strength too because physical obviously everybody knows you're doing physical tasks, and then mental strength. As far as land navigation is the point being confident in your decisions, you know, making sure you're doing the military navigation correct. You know, all your land navigation, you're basically putting your training into effect. And then obviously emotional being surrounded by you know, dudes quitting all the time, missing home, you know the weather is terrible.
Speaker 2: Your land nov more less static compass focused and like you know, you know it was and map any type of GPS.
Speaker 4: There's no GPS allowed. It's all basic level one skill task. Here's a map, here's a compass, a map, markers protractor to your point.
Speaker 2: So you would recommend this somebody who's thinking about going in. Maybe both of you get comfortable with static compass, a pro tractor and marking maps, right, And just like learning how to go to wa.
Speaker 3: On your pace count yeah, past read a map, learn how to read those major terrain marks and stuff. That was the best thing that that was the best tidbit that I got a land nav uh In in selection of the pre courses.
Speaker 2: Signingesdge his saddle exactly, all right, man, Yeah there you go man.
Speaker 3: And finding the super Walmart, finding that big terrain feature that you can orient yourself to. You know, small towns, the biggest thing they got is the super Walmart. Everybody knows where the super Walmart. So that was the tidbit that I got. You find that big thing and you're like, well, if that thing is here on the map, and I'm and it's to my right, that I gotta, you know, gonna make myself orient myself to that. So that was really helpful. That really helped me a lot.
Speaker 5: Land navigation was my favorite thing to do.
Speaker 2: To see. So you may know I do huge war games out here in the Utah deserts. So we got like five hundred acres and so when I show you the fist, it's because we've done these types of little like sand table trainings for our teams, like, hey, guys, here's the mountain right in front of us. Let's look at our fists together and look, yeah, here's the ridges and here's how everything goes right. So you got a bunch of air softers who are collectively using this amazing these simple basic tactics that I learned from going to the bathroom back in the day in my dad's CMF Field Manual of how to be a Green Beret. Sit there's a little kid and he had a ranger book too, but he wasn't ranger, but he had a ranger little flip book.
Speaker 3: Everybody had. Everybody.
Speaker 2: It is we have equivalent to survival means all these different acronyms within the S, the U, the R, the I, the V, the A, the L. You know. So here's a little ten year old Aaron just like, oh, what's that's what's dad learning today? You know? Or so so we bring that to our airsoft teams out here, and funny enough, guys who get out, guys who are like yourselves that are looking for shoulder to shoulder camaraderie and sportsmanlike environment where they can kind of get that brotherhood or that sisterhood back together and put some gear on and you know, you can run your ops core, you can run your you know arm, you can all that kind of stuff and go hunt us while we hunt you. And then at the end, everybody's like, what's up? That was? That was great, right, I'll see what time.
Speaker 4: Yeah it is, No, I actually, uh no, I'm very familiar with Milsom. I was caduring from Are you familiar with Milsom West?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, So I cadreated a couple events for them, and I actually really enjoyed doing it myself. I was a big air softer before I even joined the military.
Speaker 2: Right, that's the ops score, bro, that's why you knew. You see, today's air softer is the tomorrow's use.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly. That's why I encourage man.
Speaker 4: Airsoft is, in my mind, the best way to get out and see if your crap actually works. I mean really, yeah, you spake thousands of dollars on like all this kit and then they never wear it and they don't adjust it right, and they're like, oh this should it's expensive, so it must work. But then you go out and if you never test it, you run to it.
Speaker 2: You may not even eat it. You just need to some duct tape. Bro. Sure, you know, I need to look like RoboCop tomorrow for the game. And I'm like, all right, RoboCop it is. I'm putting in their bolts and everything, you know, Okay, have a nice day. They come out. They're like, I can't really move up the mountain. I'm like, but you wanted RoboCop, dude, you didn't want moveability. You don't want like you know, uh, you know punction. Yeah, exactly, like an LBV on come on, manah, something that moves with you now. So, so we're talking a little pop culture here, because I'm talking Airsoft that's very pot culture in this today and age. I bought up my own command film manual if had there be green Beret from my dad's closet, right. But here you guys mixing it together, a pop culture field manual exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, we it's go for it is yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, man, it's a it's been great. Cameron and I actually we met doing a gameology specoffs react videos, so video game reaction videos. And then a little while after that a buddy of ours approach just about staring a podcast trying to meet the two like pop culture and military. So we bring our experience and our perspective as military guys to bear on any number of subjects that are out there in pop culture, and it's it's yeah, it's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: We've been doing it for what about three years? We're into season three or so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, two and a half, three years long and fun road the best time.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm pretty sure I've seen you react to some videos, Cameron. I'm pretty sure I've seen you do it, right. Is that? Is that right? Yeah? Me?
Speaker 5: And is he do them together?
Speaker 4: And they're they've been out there for a long time and some of them have gotten great traction, like the cut the game. The company we worked for, Gameology, is a video game media company and they have, you know, over two million subscribers on YouTube and they push that stuff out. So as you were deaf scrolling on Facebook at twelve o'clock at night one night, you know, we probably popped up and you're just like, who are these two idiots?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Really no, Yeah, I'm just like, Okay, what are they doing? Yeah? Okay, talking about it? Okay, that's everybody's got a niche. I'm cool with it. It's like, if we can all just have a conversation like this in society where we're just having a back and forth no matter what I think on the inside of like politics or you know, where America should be. We should have conversations like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, man, No, I think airsoft MILLSIM any kind of pop culture, a pop culture field manual or this podcast all good for the culture, I would say, because a lot of comments that Cameron and I have gotten in the comments section have been like, you know, I never saw military men quite like you guys. You guys are very different, but you seem really relatable, and yet you're from kind of elite military units, and so there's a relatability and kind of a I don't know, an attractionment, I guess connection, a rapport, you know that comes from people young guys, young guys and girls seeing us and having a perception of the military that maybe was a little bit different or maybe a little more hardcore. Maybe it's like the Jocko's and like the David Goggins that they've seen, like oh that's a military guy. But then Cameron and I come along, we're kind of jokesters and more lighthearted and they see that too, and I think that's important for the culture.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, are they talking about call of duty or are they talking about PUBG Are they talking about like the actual weaponry moving and battlefield four? Is he talking about getting out and touching all four corners of the vehicle. Does that happen in real life? Does he really use a blowtorch? Is that happening right now? Is he debt core? Is that Semtex? What do you guys really use semtexs? Right? It's like holy cow, someone can actually approach you and hit you up. And I bet you reply to your comments on YouTube and on your social media.
Speaker 5: We tried to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, we try to keep up. Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a lot of work, man, social media. That's like a whole last job, right.
Speaker 2: I know, it's crazy, tell me about it. I'm now buy a thread on Threads. Are you guys on there yet? Have you not got on threads yet?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: I haven't even see.
Speaker 3: It moves so quickly, man, I can't keep up.
Speaker 2: So I got divided through Instagram to activate my thread account the day they launched, and then I guess they brought seventy million subscribers. Most downloaded the other day, maybe five six days ago. But like CBS News is joined and all these other outlets are joining, I believe that you can just get verified for a blue check. There's not really a fee, but don't quote me on that. It'll probably become a fee now.
Speaker 5: That I set it, but don't put it out there man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's too many subscriptions anyways. But the threads, you can share your in your post on threads with a title, and then you can share it to Instagram, Facebook. So I've noticed a change in like social media. Keep up. Like I used to be able to share from one media outlet to all these others, but now they're kind of like blocking each other off, especially with Zuck and Must going at it right now. So now you used to be able to share to Twitter from Instagram, that no longer is a thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's two separate entities.
Speaker 2: There are two separate entities.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now you've got threads with Instagram, which is going to compete against Twitter, Twitter and anybody listening right now, it's rad rockin on threads. I just want to see if it works.
Speaker 3: There you go, I'm gonna go start my account right now.
Speaker 2: Well, what's crazy is there's a lot of people out there that do have the check marks and they only have like four or five followers growing. Like Jack Black was replying to everybody like follow me, I'll follow you, follow me, I'll follow you. And I see how they're doing it and I'm like, okay, follow me, I'll follow you. And that kind of got up to about two hundred followers in about a minute, and then it's just kind of tapered off.
Speaker 5: So here I am nuts, Yeah, here I am.
Speaker 4: You know the crazy story I ever heard, Like back in the day when you had to grind to like get any sort of popularity. Dane Cook allegedly when when he was coming in before he became like the most popular comedian of like the late two thousands, he would get on MySpace and you know, if you're a young guy, something called MySpace is out there, tom. Yeah, he was following the top five, top eight, But yeah, you get on MySpace and literally respond and message to every single person that would comment on his stuff, and that's how he gained that rapport. So yeah, social media is a grind.
Speaker 2: He made his money too, Yeah, Dane Cook made his money from learning how to just book the venue himself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's everything himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's like, how much does it cost? So like four hundred thousand dollars He's like, well, okay, here we go, and he put everything into it and it brought back like seven million.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but here you are.
Speaker 2: That's exactly just risk versus reward.
Speaker 5: You take risk.
Speaker 2: Well, is he I'm I'm gonna call you easy because I hear him calling you iszy. Is that?
Speaker 3: Not even my family calls me Israel. So you're in the right You're you're in the right crowd.
Speaker 2: Good now is he? You're airborne? Okay? Here you are static line getting ready to shuffle out. Did you ever have a mishap happened on the way down or get tangled up or anything like Rambo cutting away?
Speaker 3: H No, nothing like that. I had a really good experience with my Airborne. I actually go to got to go to Halo school as well when I was in group, so I got to actually do the you know, military free fall with the big old you know, the oxygen mask and the rocking between your legs. Yeah, square a pair of shote.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The hardest thing I ever had was twisted lines. You know, you got to grab behind you and kick out of it, you know, and spin out, you know, and that I had quite a few twists and so that took me. Took me a couple of seconds on the way down, but it popped open. So No, I've never had any.
Speaker 2: Weird weird about you, Ranger, what about you?
Speaker 4: No, I've had some really close calls that I thought it was like, yeah, yeah, I've had about two, you know they One of them was I realized that, you know, when you do something terrible, you learn lessons from everything, right, So like after it was a H forty seven jump, which is for the the chinooks, for the two rods exactly. Yea, we call it the war Chariot, my favorite aircraft of all time. Yeah, we had one of those jumps. And those jumps are the best jumps because you just ramp blast right off the back and it's you know, you don't get blasted by wind when you're jumping out of you know, one seventeen.
Speaker 5: Off the side, it's just off the back and you just free falled down.
Speaker 4: It was that but for some reason it was supposed to be the best jump ever and it was my first time doing it. But when I jumped out, it was just super rough environment, like there's a lot of wind, and I just started oscillating super hard and oscillatings where you know, the parachute static but you're just going left and right and left like a pendulum on the end of the string. And you know, right as I was about to hit the ground, I'm like at the peak, at the highest point of my oscillation, So as I'm coming down, that's when I land. So the force of me hitting the ground and coming down on the oscillation just like knocked the wind out of me. And then my basically riser lines got wrapped around my cam hook release assemblies, which is essentially how you would disattach your parachute, and they wrapped around so I couldn't even open them.
Speaker 5: And then since it was.
Speaker 4: A windy day, my parachute opened up again on the ground and just started dragging me maybe one hundred two hundred meters, and dudes had to come over and straight up like attack the parachute. And one guy get out to me, yeah, because I was getting drugged, and you get drug fast, because these parachutes when day lift, once they inflate again on the ground, you're like, you know, drag racing.
Speaker 5: Literally.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: This guy came over and he's like, hey, dude, are you okay?
Speaker 4: You like I thought you died because you hit the ground so hard and I'm just sitting there like coughing, and I'm like, yeah, I'm fine. But after that I was like, I need to carry a knife on me because if that shit, I had nothing to cut away the risers off my camera lease assemblies. So that was bad jump number one. Bad jump number two was it was my first seventeen jump and I didn't realize that the plane is a lot bigger, so the platform kind of when you open the doors, a platform for your feet actually come out and go past the door. So I didn't realize that that happened because I've been jumping C one thirties my entire career so far, and as I jumped out, I didn't account for the distance of the platform. So I literally jumped onto the platform, onto the platform, and my forward momentum, like my heels hit the edge and caused me to start front flipping. So basically I started front flipping through my risers like two or three times, and then I thought I was gonna totally die because you know, you don't want your.
Speaker 5: Feet to go through those things.
Speaker 4: And for some reason, I did perfect front flips just through my wrap and I had no twists. My parachute opened up perfectly, and I'm screaming the entire time. You're supposed to do a six second count, so like one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, but my six second count was.
Speaker 5: And it opened up, and I'm looking up and I'm seeing everything.
Speaker 4: You know, the riser is a parachute, fully expand I got no twists, and I'm still looking up screaming, like realize, I'm okay. But as I look to my left, I'm literally approaching another jumper's vent and that's like yeah, and that's another thing. So I finally pull a slip, and I'm like, we're yelling at each other, and like, as I'm feet away from this thing, a gust of wind picks me up and takes me away. And this is all a combat jump too, So I have full equipment on me, and as I'm coming to the ground, I try to lower my equipment.
Speaker 5: It doesn't go je.
Speaker 2: So you're trying to drop your ruckstack, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to drop my rucksack, and you have this little poll tab between your legs, which basically all your equipment is attached to this like like fifteen or twenty foot cord and it sends the rucksack underneath you so you don't land.
Speaker 5: On top of it. But I'm pulling and it's not letting go.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, I have to ride this thing in and that's really dangerous because the ruckstack has a metal frame and if something happens, you know, dudes have snapped their femurs broken legs all the time.
Speaker 5: By riding gear.
Speaker 2: In, you have to do a plf right, you have to do more. In order to do that. You have to have your knees together and then hit the ground and roll right.
Speaker 5: But there's a giant rucksack between your legs. You can't do that. So that's how you stamp legs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, somehow, like I'm like, here we go. Here comes a career ending injury, and then all of a sudden updraft from the ground right before I hit the ground and I land soft. I literally just sat on my rucksack and I was like, this was the worst jump ever.
Speaker 2: That sounds gnarly. I saw my dad's friend jump halo here at the Augden Airport when they're doing like a green bereat training day. They're all doing static lines. But then their buddy, Kim, small little dude, he jumped out from higher up doing this halo and they're all watching, watching, watching, We're staying by the picnic tables, and then all of a sudden, they all just start running. They just know something, right, Yeah, So what happened was the wind had picked him up about forty feet from the ground and just boom brought him down. Yeah, yeah, just dropped him. So they were just running like right away. But I just like that's dad and guys. So dudes being dudes, you know, going through their qualification course. You know you sure you didn't happen in training? You sure this didn't happen. Sure it's not attributed to your injuries in the military. Are you sure about that? Yeah? Dragon, you sure about that?
Speaker 5: Are you sure about that?
Speaker 3: Sure that?
Speaker 2: Now let's start some controversy. What's the best the most best regiment in the ranger regiment? Which one is the best? The best?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the best, the best?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's really hard to say the best. It's I guess it depends on what you consider the best the best. I think the best quality of life is the best, which is two seven five for sure, which is my battalion. I'm super biased, so that's why I say that. I think if you want to get the most experience, go to you another battalion because we are considered the red headed stepchild of the Ranger Regiment because we always deploy in the winter time. They always give all the good deployments to three seven five and one seven five because they're closer to the flagpole. But the quality of life at two seven five is just amazing because you're in Washington State. You're away from like all the big commanders, and you know, you're just free to kind of do your own thing under your own little two seven five nest and you're surrounded by this beautiful Washington So that's I think two seven five is the best.
Speaker 2: But is that the orange diamond logo? Is that right with the two in it?
Speaker 5: That is correct?
Speaker 4: So we were the we were the first battalion to actually use those. And it was during World War two when the was it two some five stormed Point do Hawk, which was like one of the turning points of the war. Like the the ships couldn't even land on Omaha Beach if the Point Do Hawk artillery cannons weren't taken out. So it was one of the most important feats that allowed dd it actually you.
Speaker 5: Know, actually happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that they wore two diamonds on the back of their helmets to different that differentiate them from other units. And then they also had fifth Ranger Battalion, who's you know, not active anymore, but they were storming the beaches as well, so they had five diamonds on the back of their helmets. But yeah, the two diamonds became extremely popular after point you Hawk and yeah, I kind of every battalion got their own diamond, but two some five No's were the ogs.
Speaker 2: You know. I think Max Mullen a friend of mine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, mad Max Mullen.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, hardcore air softer. I fought for them so many times as my company commander as a lieutenant. He's like, we're gonna go rat. I was like, well Max, that way, He's like, let's do it. He's like, follow rad, Yeah, follow me, let's go boots on the ground, dude. That's a marchery.
Speaker 4: Funny fact about Max Mullin is I had a family friend growing up that was actually friends with him, and before I ever knew anything about Ranger Regiment, he was kind of the first Ranger that I like knew about. And then yeah, come to find out we were in the same platoon when he I think he jumped into Grenada or he jumped Yeah. So he was three Bravo in two five and I grew up in three Bravo, So I was like, oh, dude, that's that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, he he has been on the show, and you know, I have known him for many years. I fought for him probably thirteen years now. I go to the Lion Clause events.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: The majority of the time we go storm the old Air Force Base in California in Victorville. Yeahs over there. So we fight there, and we've had like, you know, Danny McKnight from you know, also Ranger Hall of Fame, Blackhawk Down. He was Company eight commander, and then Matt Max's Company B commander. So here we are hunting Danny McKnight. You know, it's like, what's up, bro, let's go Yeah, what about you? Is he what's your favorite? What unit are you from? What group?
Speaker 3: I mean from for first group also out of Fort Lewis, Washington. Actually, so Cameron and I were on the same base, but just at different times. I was there from around two thousand and seven to two thousand and nine, and yeah, he was there a little bit later, but It's true Fort Lewis. I mean, Washington State is a beautiful state and Fort Lewis is a really really nice post. I guess they call it Joint Base Lewis McCord now because they got.
Speaker 5: Mccorse shared with the Air Force.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean I love First Group.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I'm a big nerd, so I loved anime and Japanese girls at the time, and so I'm like, well, I want to go to First Group because I know we have a battalion out in Okinawa, and had I stayed in any any longer, that would have been my request is to go out and spend some time in Okinawa in that.
Speaker 2: Theater, that operation yeah see yeah, that wash Philippines and the whole Southeast Asia operations with nineteen So you were looking for put me in Yeah, yeah, tentacles and some uh some crazy uh yeah.
Speaker 5: Get a soapy every Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, bro, they got so much air Soft in Japan. Yes, yeah, that the godfathers of that whole sport. Really yea Japan. Yeah, they go.
Speaker 3: Let they go, They go hard in Japan.
Speaker 2: They hard. They go on dates. They'll go on one floor to a date and then on the next floor up in the same building as an airsoft arena that they shoot at with their dates and stuff. It's like, you know, I've got a kill house here in Utah where we can all get together. But it's not quite like dinner and a drink, you know what I mean. It's like this is like you're sweating to the oldies in there and hunting each other.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that's a great experience, man.
Speaker 2: It is. It is. It's a good, healthy experience, like I said, And it's very pop culture. Now with that said, and thanks for telling us a little bit about some some traumatizing experience jumping out of airplanes.
Speaker 5: Life is trauma.
Speaker 2: What do you consider pop culture for your field manual? Is he Let's start with you.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, culture is the sum total of what, you know, what any society produces, and pop culture is what's most in people's minds, right, what's the most popular. And so with the podcast, we try to we try to get a little bit of everything. We try to get a little bit of each of the categories, whether it's you know, gangster movies or sci fi films or fantasy monster movies, all that kind of stuff. So, yeah, pop culture is. Uh, it's very important. I think, you know, I heard somebody say one time politics runs downstream of culture, and so the what the culture produces, what is popular, what is most on people's minds, is what's influencing people in their mindsets, in their views, uh, you know, in their principles and stuff. And so I've become more focused on that and more interested in what culture is and how to create it and what kind of stories to tell as I've gotten older. I think we run on stories. Man. I heard somebody say once that the most powerful person in society is the storyteller, and so I'm very interested in stories and the kinds of stories that we tell because this is this it's how our culture identifies itself. It's what we tell ourselves we are. And so all the stuff that we talk about on the podcast, in addition to all the things that you might do and like Airsoft or Milsom, I think all that stuff's crucial. It's so important because he can teach us, you know, good principles and life lessons and all that kind of stuff. So I'm happy. I'm feel very privileged if you will, to be with Cameron, to have met Cameron, because we have a good rapport and we're really good friends. And I love doing the podcast so to be able to have just like a little corner of the internet, to kind of have my voice and say what I want to say and rant and rave about what a horrible movie the last Jedi is. Uh, you know, I feel it feels good, man, it feels good.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is that the same? You got to say, what's what about you? What about you? Camra? What do you saying?
Speaker 4: I'll give you a less articulated and intelligent answer.
Speaker 2: Because it was.
Speaker 3: Coming through.
Speaker 2: That's that come.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, big words and well thought out goods everybody.
Speaker 5: Well for me.
Speaker 4: You know, like we said earlier in the show, you know, there is something out there that whether you're different sides of the political spectrum, or you have different beliefs, different religions, moral values, there is something that you share with another person, even on the other side, that can connect you. And you know, when you're, like you said, when you're trying to have a dialogue going back and forth, I think the first thing in order to make that happen is to find common grounds, something that you know makes you feel human to each other because a lot of times you get so caught up and you know, thinking this is the enemy or that someone that doesn't think the same way as I. Uh, you know, they're wrong and they're different. So one thing that I think almost everybody has done or seen is cinema movies, you know, and plus it's super easy when you know Izzy and I we've both deployed, and we both know how important movies, films, TV shows, are, video games even are to deployed soldiers, because what else do you do when you're not working, when you're not lifting, when you're not eating. The only thing you do is sit and game and watch with your brothers. So that was something you know that I experienced as something he experienced, and then that we came together and realized, oh my god, yeah, this is something we've both done with something and experience we both shared. So let's start a podcast and see if we can have that same connection with the listener. And so far it seemed to work.
Speaker 2: So and Shift Fire is the original thing you guys did together, right.
Speaker 4: Shift Fire and the PCFM podcast were they birth kind of in the same time area, Isy, which said.
Speaker 3: The podcast came at first it was gameology specops React shortly after that was the podcast not long after that with Shift Fire exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Shift You know, the podcast has always been a little bit more important to Izzy and I just because it's been our own when we've worked on Shift Fire. Even though you know, it was us in front of the camera, it wasn't necessarily owned by us.
Speaker 5: We partnered with.
Speaker 4: The production company that you know owned the same channel as Gameology. So even though it was an amazing relationship and uh, and we learned a lot about how to produce our own content, which obviously helps for our podcast and any future endeavors we might have.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it didn't own us.
Speaker 4: So you know, even though it was like our representation, our face, we definitely put a lot of effort into it, But I don't think we had like the emotional connection that we do to this.
Speaker 5: Podcast because this is like our baby. You know, we built this, and you're.
Speaker 2: In charge of this. This is you, uh, you know, you get to say what goes between the two of you one hundred percent. You know you're doing the programming.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, big shout out to Chris too. He's our unsung hero, magic voice Chris. He comes onto the podcast sometimes, but he's the one who produces it for the most part, puts it up, gets it distributed, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, that's my Anton. What's up Anton? Yeah, bro, I know you are. You're great, dude. It's true. It's true. There's there's people behind the scenes that you know, may seem like I'm just in my in this nice beautiful set here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I love it. Yeah, it's greatboards again, snowboards and you're the Green Beret. I love that man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Dad, Dad and mom and I got his uh tie jump wings up there too, which is like that little elephant on it. And then yeah, I jumped out of jumped out of the hot air balloon.
Speaker 3: Kidding. I always wanted to do that.
Speaker 2: He told me that was the most surreal experience because he said, son, I just hooked up and just stepped off, and it was just silence. There was no nothing, It's just and I was like, okay, Dad, can I go in your rucksack? Yeah. He would take baseball's too, like different wherever, and then he'd bring him back all signed and dated like this is from the Florida Swamp jump. We all got stuck in the mud, and it's like I still have all those shocked looking baseball Yeah, because I can't get in the rough sack. I like, can I fit?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: You legit wanted to go. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine, you know, later in life, as he's getting ready to pass smart. Yeah, you know, he's like, I'm so sorry I introduced you all this stuff at a young age. I said, why, Dad, I love it. He's like, that's why, dang it, dude. My dad was very Mormon too, so I grew up very Mormon, very Green Beret, not repping green Beret. He didn't really walk around saying he was that. He was dad professional. I'm way more boastrous about it than my father ever was, you know, so it's like and more proud of it affirmative.
Speaker 3: That's interesting that like neither Cameron nor myself can we you correct me if I'm wrong, But neither of us came from like a really military heavy family like I. I had some cousins that had maybe done one or two years in the Army Marines, but I was the only one in my immediate family that that went in And it was kind of a kind of a whim for me.
Speaker 2: You know, are both your parents together still? Were they at the time?
Speaker 3: No, No. My parents divorced when I was like very young, like five or six years old. So that's the kind of tumultuous background that I came from.
Speaker 2: And I noticed that, you know, what about you? You mind if I asked, Cameron, did you share your past together at the same time when you enlisted? Was it a tough upbringing for you? Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, I you know, obviously everybody has their challenges growing up. I considered I considered my childhood you know, fairly fairly normal, you know, but I never had aspirations to like go to school or anything like it. Ever since I was like eleven or twelve years old, the military has been my path. And then basically, you know, my parents were not together. They got divorced when I was in middle school. But ever since that, that's kind of like when I wanted to join the military, I don't know what really ingrained that. I just had this amazing fascination and appreciation for service members, But you know, I had no aspirations to go special operations. I didn't even know that was the thing you could do after basic training. I thought that was like you do your time, you know, you do your time, and.
Speaker 5: Then you get seasoned.
Speaker 4: And experience and then you go, I had no idea you can get a ranger contracts. So when they offered it to me, I was like, what in the hell is going on? And I was like, oh, okay, you.
Speaker 2: See see something that I noticed, and I'm just going to pull up my dad's creds as well. Yes, adopted, you know, yea twelve adopted a twelve. So living wow in back in the day in Wisconsin, Bartibar or wherever passed around.
Speaker 5: That's like you have experience and memories and the thought.
Speaker 2: Processes percent and so these young kids go through these traumatic experiences to grow up very quickly. Okay, And that is kind of like now, all of a sudden, drill Sergeant is more father than father ever could be, because you know they're actually paying attention to you. Why did you shove your boots so well? Did I did I do it? Well? I'm gonna do it better for you.
Speaker 6: Now you think I did that well, You're like, yes, valid, yes, yes, tell me I'm good.
Speaker 2: So a lot of the folks that come on who have gone through a lot of the riggers in the and the situations you guys have, have come from a challenging background, And I only pull that out because my listener out there might be coming from a struggling background as well.
Speaker 4: You know, I think the you know, the military is an amazing opportunity, right because it's not.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to say it's not. It's not.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely not an equal employer, like an equal quality.
Speaker 2: Everybody in the military is a good person. Yeah, no, no, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I'm saying like, and not everyone can join the military, but I wish they could because the structure and the discipline and the lessons that I learned in the military made me the man I am today, right, and then also the benefits that come with it from the service that you've given to your nation. Obviously it's not always been like that, but I think we finally got it right to an extent, of course.
Speaker 5: But uh, yeah, I looking at the.
Speaker 4: Person I was before the military and the person I am after night and day. I wouldn't even recognize myself on the street, and if I did, I'd probably kick my ass because I was a little shit.
Speaker 2: But uh, sounds like David as is coming out of you. Yeah, listen to me.
Speaker 6: Get off the counts, Brodie, really running right now on your podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, running, Yeah, get up, going to him.
Speaker 2: I've been boxing every day straight, you know, trying to show up and be in the gym, and so every morning it's like, you know, without without fail. And I'm looking at my coaches today and They're like, you're here more than we are, and I'm like, I'm not trying to play a trick on you. I swear to God. Is this cool? Is it? Is it okay that I'm here every day in the gym, punching this bag and listening to what you're telling me to do, so I can, you know, take care of myself and heart wise, health wise, boxing wise. You know, it's just consistent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, stay, Consistency is a skill as it is.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh, dang, I think he's taking advantage of the unlimited classes you are, and that's their fault. I've seen real genius. I know how Laslow works. Okay, of the Freedom Lay competition, bro.
Speaker 3: I love it, man, Al Kilmer, I love it, man?
Speaker 2: What right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah? Yeah, no, it's great man. I would say I would add to what Cameron is saying is the military. It's the gift that keeps on giving if you let it. You know, I've learned. I've been out for thirteen years at this point, and I still learn lessons from my time in the military. I have the same memories, but as I grow and I change and I develop, I think about my military time and I learned different lessons from it. And then lessons that I learned come back every once in a while, and they reiterate themselves and they they show themselves to be true. And so it's it's good, man. It's good if you If you want some structure, if you want some guidance, if you want some challenge in your life, and you want to be a part of something greater than yourself. The military can provide all those things. It does not want to guarantee. Yeah, yeah, there's no guarantees in the military because I know people that went in and they came out and they did not benefit from their time in the military, and they're resentful and and yeah bitter, But it can it can benefit you greatly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't have a full Green Beret experience in the military, and I had to do things that I didn't want to do because people told me to do it because they didn't like me. But at the end of the day, I got a VA home loan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you go, yeah, lows.
Speaker 2: To that. You know that you're gonna get a discount at dispensaries.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Look, you're not gonna smoke when you're in, I promise, okay, but when you get out you're probably.
Speaker 5: Gonna look into it.
Speaker 2: There's a discount for you. There's a discount. Yeah, Military fifteen percent off. Bro.
Speaker 5: You know, one day a year go to Apple's get a free meal.
Speaker 3: Military at basket.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they say, hunt the good stuff, Hunt the good stuff.
Speaker 2: Wheel and my dad around the VA though, wearing a full VA hospital outfit to piece with a barcode that says property of US government. As I go, Dad, I thought you were tired. He looked at me and he's like, yeah about that. You know, it's like a barco so you can be scanned. It says property US Government. You're not no, no no Va, good old Va. No.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: In pop culture, let me ask you something, what was your specialty? Like eighteen echo eighteen Charlie, Bravo, what'd you do? Correct?
Speaker 3: Eighteen echo communication sergeant? Oh yeah, okay, And I I gotta admit man. At the time, I had a plan to be in for a couple of years to do some stuff and then to get out because I wanted to be a famous actor out here in Los Angeles. Still, yeah, you never know.
Speaker 2: No, I don't, I do know. Huh yeah, thanks, I got IMDb, bro, I'm working on it.
Speaker 3: Go for you go. There you go, man, dude, Yeah, thanks man, I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I need all the encouragement I can get from a broken home.
Speaker 2: So well, hey, look what you did though you passed right at home. My dad was always there for me. Yeah you know what I'm saying, Like, that's what happens. He's like gonna beat it for my kids. Someone wasn't there for him.
Speaker 3: There you go, man, Yeah, I can. You can turn it around in a generation. You can turn it around. That's something that I think everyone listening to this should keep in mind. Man, whatever you wherever past you came from, that you can turn it around.
Speaker 2: You know that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh yeah, that's right. Yeah, that's right. Never too old to start over again. Like I am.
Speaker 2: You know, is a communications master?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I hope so I was. I was the junior on my team. So I give that credit to Mike Saint Clair he was my senior and he knew everything and I learned a lot from him. But yeah, all things communication, whether it's computers or stat phones or you know, the radios inside the humpies, that's your job. And if comms goes down, that's your fault. And if they work, great, nobody cares.
Speaker 2: Did you carry a pigeon around in your pocket just in case a pigeon carrier pigeon?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Yeah no. I had a lighter with some tinder so I could do smoke signals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, dude, give him a pigeon patch. Yeah, here you go, eighteen echo.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what, man, that's my mom. And my mom took care of the carrier pigeons for my stepdad for a long time. And they say that China's got a million carrier pigeons. Man, so they're ready if they.
Speaker 2: Go in all of like Game of Thrones, Is it not a real thing?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the ravens and everything, so it's so reliable. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh this message is from six months ago. It says we're under castle.
Speaker 3: Yeah help quick?
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, you up?
Speaker 5: Question mark you up?
Speaker 2: I just slid in. Yeah, it didn't hold that bro. Yeah, it's awesome. That's awesome. Now you guys seeing a good success on your podcast, people coming in and listening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, Yeah, it's been fun. We have a good dedicated bass. I would say of people that really they love hanging out with us. Uh, they like what we do. Now it's just a I mean, I think it's just a matter of like getting the word out. I guess you could say, maybe marketing ourselves a little bit because I like what the podcast is and I'm all, we're always looking for ideas on how to add value to what we're doing because it's a good time and we got some good people listening with good like you say, man, the community, the fans, whoever supports the that's what matters, man, they really do. It sounds so cliche when you say, you hear some celebrity been like, it's all about the fans, man, It's all about you guys. It really is, because they are the reason why we can continue to do what we do. And then they're the support structure. If you want to try new things, they're with you. They're like, yeah, I love what we love you guys, we love what you do. Let's try this new thing. So it's I appreciate it very much. So so yeah, whatever we could do to get the word out man. And by the way, thank you for having us on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it's been a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Man. Well it just shows I love having this type of a conversation because a it shows that you can go in the military, have an experience in the military, grow from those things, get out of the military. That's who you were, This is who you are. A lot of folks forget that's who you are today versus who you were then. You may have passed. Yeah, been a sniper, but that's not today. Today you're like driving the school bus. You know. It's like I mean, I'm just saying, like the opposite spectrums. Yeah, so oh yeah.
Speaker 4: No, to appreciate your experiences and you know, learn from them and understand that's where you came from, but to not fully encompass.
Speaker 5: Your life and who you were. But you know, who are you today?
Speaker 4: You know, how do you take those lessons you learned back then from being you know, I think that's a that's a big problem. Like I've had friends, you know, and seen it firsthand, you know, being in ranger regiment, being told you're the best of the best. Then getting out and driving a truck for Amazon and like breaking down because you've been told you're the best of all kinds and now you're you know, back to the bottom and you're.
Speaker 5: Like, well, I don't deserve this, and it's just like okay, the best.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but if you can take, you know, those lessons that you learned. And you know, the one thing I learned is be the best at everything you do, regardless of if you hated not So even if I worked at Burger King, I would be the best burger flipper you ever fucking seen. But you know, working your way through and taking those challenges, and I think it's all about mindset. But yeah, no, you're absolutely right. Just not living in the past about who you were. Like you're somebody today and you're somebody with just a little bit more you know, experience from those experiences you've had, so take them and use them to your advantage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great, Cameron. I try to. You know, I had a little bit of imposter syndrome when we kind of started first doing the gameology stuff and the shift fire stuff because I was out for so long. I thought to myself what do I have to offer. I don't know anything anymore. I can't tell you the designation of that weapon. I don't remember what the field manual was for this regulation. And Cameron has been such a helpful bulwark of strength when it comes to that kind of knowledge. But I had to ask myself, like, what what do I have to offer? And what I can do is each day I can honor what I was. I can remember what I was, and I can use the principles and take the same spirit of the Green Beret of Special Forces into everything that I do. Whether it's just a simple podcast, whether it's a live stream or or just an inn a daily interaction with somebody that I don't even know, I can still take the spirit of the Green Beret, and that is spree to cores and that those honors I can take the leadership, loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity, and personal courage. Those are good things that you can take into anything. Even though I'm not wearing a uniform anymore, I can still act like a soldier. I can still in whatever I'm doing.
Speaker 2: You know you're you say such nice things so well.
Speaker 3: He's such an articulate gentleman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me just let me flatter you a little bit, okay, because you know there's the uniform can be worn or you can wear the uniform. So I think that you are that a spree. I think that you are that SF culture already that they pulled out of you. They're just like, let's just hone in on these skill sets that you have, right and same with you. You guys are already badass and the best. It just happens a b. You went through the SF training and you went through the Ranger Regiment training, but it's already in you. You are those things, so when you get out, you're still those things. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love that saying. Thank you for saying that, my friend.
Speaker 4: But you know that you know that old saying this is you see it on a bumper sticker sometime, and it has to do with devil Dogs.
Speaker 5: It's like not as lean, not as mean, but still a marine. I love those dudes.
Speaker 4: But it's like, yeah, you know, you're still an example of where you came from, and it's like you can never take that away from you.
Speaker 2: So yeah, because you had it when you went in, and you have it when you get out.
Speaker 5: And it's also a curse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's also I think it's also a little bit of a curse because like wherever I go now, like when I went to college after what.
Speaker 2: Your ancestors said is they kicked as to get you here. Yeah, it's a curse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it was a curse.
Speaker 4: Now, wherever you go, the title green beread, the title of army ranger sits on your shoulders, and you are still you were still a representation, you were still an example to sit like you're going to be for life. So like if you slack, if you slack off and you're one of those guys, it's like, yeah, I was a ranger, and then you know you're slacking off for being lazier, doing the wrong thing.
Speaker 5: It makes it makes everybody else look bad. So yeah, so it's a curse.
Speaker 4: It's a blessing and a curse because I had that in school because I hate school. But when I went to college, they're like, what did you do? I was like, oh, I was in the military. And obviously you know civilians, they dig, they're like, oh, what'd you do in the military. I was like, oh, I was a ranger. So my entire four years in college you're like that guy's a ranger. So I had to get on her graduate right, Yeah, I had to go on the dean's list.
Speaker 5: I had to. And that's what I did.
Speaker 4: I got, you know, kum Laud at a school that I didn't even want to go to.
Speaker 2: But you did it, bro, because that's you. It's you. It's you, and that's why you're doing this and that's why we're crossing paths and here you are, you know, because just you're just being yourself. Yeah, and all you do, you're just real. And that's what I get from Izzy, And that's what I get from you, is just And that's what you said to me. You're like, Bro, you've already figured yourself out. Mom, I don't pretty much have, dude. I I just walk around if we're all created in a religion of gods looking like gods, and we're all gods walking around with gods, so no one's above me and no one's below me. We're all together at the same level. So you know, I just see three other two other gods in front of me.
Speaker 5: Yeahs.
Speaker 3: And you know one thing I would say, reasons give or reasons yeah right and everything? Yeah and everything, yes, Well, and I would say that you you know, I think you hat on something about the uh you know, being made in God's image, right, Yes, I talked about that in scripture, you know. So that means, like you say, we're all of equal value. What we have in being military man or coming from military backgrounds, that is an amazing thing. It's it's something that we can carry with us, something that we will always be a part of. If you never served, right, I hear a lot of people saying like, ah, man, I wish I'd never did serve. I couldn't medical, I had a mental thing. Whatever what you're saying is still true. That stuff is still in there. It was just the crucible of the military that brought out of us. You can find that thing that brings it out of you. And if you if you don't have an organization, you can go out and find a softple. You can find airsoft. Yeah, exactly, man, Probably there's so.
Speaker 2: Many Captain America's is he so many kids there you go who could never join because of asthma or their parents. Let's let's point this out before we wrap this up. Some of my friends have been put on adderall under the age of eighteen. Knowing they're playing airsoft so hardcore. The parents are like, oh shit, I think they might want to join. Yeah, and so they're like, oh, get them in, get them prescribed adderall. And then now all of a sudden he's like, oh, I can't join the Navy my parents. I'm on adderall.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you real quick if you're one of those people when you go to MEPs live.
Speaker 2: The World War two, World War it.
Speaker 5: Still works today. Man, people squeeze through the cracks all the time. No, that's definitely an issue.
Speaker 4: I've gotten a lot of messages about like, well, my parents won't allow me to join, Like, well.
Speaker 2: They'll bully one step further, like just kind of like get you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: It's like that's what the military is. Very hard organization to join.
Speaker 4: It's like, like I said, it's not an equal opportunity employer.
Speaker 2: You give a healthy body to somebody to the military, you're you're fully checked up, you're fully bent overspread. You go in baseball player, was me go in? You know, you guys had your own you know, athleticisms going in and then you get out and something's like, oh, man, I don't know, be sure that you.
Speaker 3: Do give a lot, man, you do give a lot. That's you don't.
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 3: You're not the same After military service. You do sacrifice, and you will continue to pay. Some of us will continue to pay for the rest of our lives because of our military service. There is a price to pay. But for me, I would say it's worth it. It's worth when you pay. Even in the political kind of the current cultural political climate these days, you know, the leadership and stuff right now, I don't know that I would necessarily agree with everything that they're saying. Even this, Even then, the spirit of the military still survives, the spirit of the history and what where we came from, and the ideas, the ideals of a soldier are still alive. They just may not be completely lived out because leadership and politics and cultural trends and all that kind of stuff. But the things that are true are still true, you know. And so if you still have that idea that you want to join the military, I still say it's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still I'm not paid by the Guard or any army or marines. They don't give me the money for like sponsorship, and I don't want it. Right It's like I want them to want you, my listener to join if they want to join. Yeah, and if it's an organic conversation where it's like there's the National Guard, you can go start out at the state level. There's special forces in National Guard. Yea, you know, there's Guard. Yeah, yeah, right, you can go guard and you can just talk to your local National Guard recruiter. You can work a week in the month, two weeks a year. You can go ranger, active duty. There's things that are available or even excuse me, green beret active duty. That's how my dad worked it. He was still Guard, but he was like.
Speaker 5: An active in the nineteenth group, nineteen twentieth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's best kept secret in the military, by the way, Yeah, nineteenth and twentieth group.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know. So it's like you, I'm just saying, if you're out there and you're thinking you want to give it a go, go talk to somebody and see if a career in the military is for you. That's the best way to do it, because it is a career. It is a choice. You're going to be in for six to eight I are are inactive ready reserves after right, right, So I mean, you know I didn't have like, you know, the special Forces experience. But I had a fun of time and I had a I saluted people I didn't have to, like I had had.
Speaker 3: A salute dude.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah. And my daughter he's like, you're going to salute people you like, and you're going to salute people you don't like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that's everywhere in life.
Speaker 4: That's right, whether you're in the workforce, military is just things are the same, yes.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, Like Dick Winters said, man, you salute the uniforse, you salute the rank, not the man.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: You're going to work with people out in the real world that you do not like, that you don't get along with, but.
Speaker 2: You have to salute.
Speaker 3: Yeah you can. You could still make it work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One time, my dad is pissed. He's like, sir, man, I call you an asshole, sir. He's like, you may not. He's like, then I will not call you an asshole, sir. That was his major. I remember that story. I mean, I remember my dad was pro chill. He's real chill all the time, you know, And I don't think I heard him say the F word two times. And when was he was yelling in the Armory at somebody. He's like Arah, and I was like, oh, dad's mad. Yeah that's all I thought. Okay, bad day for whoever that was. And then one time my friend was wearing a circle Jerks jacket and we were punk rock in ninth grade and we were walking from the school. My dad drove by. He's like, you guys want to ride. We're like, yeah, Dad, let's get in. So me and Dan got in. He's a professional drummer in a band right now, my buddy Dan, and he's wearing the circle Jerks jacket. My dad's like, so circle jerks huh. And he's driving our Lincoln. We're in the back seat. He's like, guys, know what that means, right, And we're like looking at each other, like, no, it's a band. He's like, means a bunch of dudes standing in a circle, but on each other.
Speaker 6: And I was like, dad just said did Dad just say that? I didn't even want to say the whole word, did Dad just say that? And I looked at Dan and Dan looked at me. We're like, your dad just said that to us, dude, Yeah.
Speaker 2: He never wore that leather jacket after that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's probably I'm in the punk community.
Speaker 2: Nothing does that know that this is nineteen ninety one, right, Yeah, he.
Speaker 3: Knew how to use it like that language. He knew how to use it like a sword like.
Speaker 2: And it drilled a whole right into me and Dan. And Dan again is a professional drummer in the youth and he's rocking and rolling all over the place. So yeah, we were in band class together. Gouta gi him a shout out, So that's Dan. Well, listen, I've had a total fun time talking about pop culture in the film Manual the Military, having Izzy and Cameron on, you know, talking about your airborne stories, being a part of the Soft Rep family. Now you are a part of that. I appreciate you guys coming on, and I'd love to have you back on and talking more. As your pop culture phenomenon takes off and you guys start doing more and more, just hit me up and I'll get you on the show and we'll just go back and forth about war stories and how to be civil to one another in conversations in society.
Speaker 3: Sure that, man, Rad, Thank you so much for having us man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been a pleasure and it was so much fun talk with you.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm glad you guys reached out. And again, if my listener out there wants to reach out and has a story and wants to talk about what's on your mind, hit me up. I'll reply and we'll get your programmed onto the show. Until then, this is rad saying, check out the merch store thanks to Brandon Webb, and don't forget our book club slash book club. That's what's up, all right, all right, and on behalf of my guests, I want to say thanks again and peace.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Surf rep Radia