Speaker 1: Ring Ring, Ring Ring. May I please speak with Zoe.
Speaker 2: Oh hello, Lamarn, let's patch on.
Speaker 3: Hannah.
Speaker 1: God, I forgot what it was like working with you, guys. Hey boo, Hannah, Hannah, Hannah.
Speaker 2: Hannah, good morning.
Speaker 1: Good morning. Indeed, folks, if you're just tuning in, it is three thirty in the morning where I am in la Uh. Hannah is in somewhere in bumpfuck Africa on a little vacation.
Speaker 4: Okay, folks, you are just tuning in, It's seven am in Los Angeles, and my dear friend Lamourn agreed to get up early to record our podcast because I I'm on a little Greek island and there is a ridiculous time difference, and he's a very good friend.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you're in a Greek island, does.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Living.
Speaker 4: You know what is actually kind of interesting is like I had a real moment. I was with some friends yesterday and they very fancy I have friends, and I was like, uh, sorry, guys, I gotta go home and work, and they were like, oh, like what do you What are you working on?
Speaker 2: And I realized My.
Speaker 4: Answer was I have to go home and watch New Girl, which sounded crazy, but then I realized I had this moment as I was walking home, I'm like, how lucky are we? We got to make this incredible show that got that stayed on the air because well, listeners like you loved the show and watched it, so we got to keep making it. And now I get to go and like, watch this great show again because of listeners like you. It's like, it's no work at all. It's just like the greatest thing in the world. And to call it a job that I had to go home and work, I realized how ludicrous it was because I just got to go home and watch an awesome TV show. And then the next part of my work was hanging out with my bud the next day to.
Speaker 2: Talk about it.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting you and I see things totally different, you see. Okay, you're right, the show was fun and it was well, you're right, it didn't feel like work at the moment. But let me tell you something, folks. Right now, it was three thirty in the morning.
Speaker 2: It's seven am. It's actually almost seven thirty.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. When you do it mathematically, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you look at a watch, at a watch.
Speaker 1: You're numerically then yeah, I guess you're right.
Speaker 2: If you're looking at a clock.
Speaker 4: Okay, we should dive into this week's episode because it's by far one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: It's called Parents.
Speaker 1: Oh, this one was great. This was great. This one we have, you know, it's interesting. I as I was rewatching it, I realized, my goodness, we had Jamie Lee Curtis, we had Rob Reiner, we had Rob wriggle h and we had love More and Morris.
Speaker 2: The Humble there and Morris.
Speaker 1: That's what they say? Am I missing? Am I missing? Anybody?
Speaker 4: Can I just say, do you remember the moment that you found out that it was Jamie Lee Curtis and Rob Reiner playing Jess's parents?
Speaker 2: Because I do.
Speaker 1: I don't. I can't tell you exactly where I was in that moment, but I could tell you I was freaking out. That was I was so nervous. I was excited at the idea, but I was more so nervous because I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of these two Hall of famers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember exactly where it was. We were in a we're shooting models at the big what do you.
Speaker 2: What's the word? Where we where? We built the club set in a big what's the word studio, yes, warehouse and a big warehouse and a big warehouse downtown. It was grimy and.
Speaker 4: I walked over to Video Village in between setups and I just heard Liz chatting with I think Breton Dave and they were so casual about it, and I was like, what's going on and they were like, oh, we just uh, we just got confirmed who as soon as she next week as Jess's parents, and I was Jamie Curtis and Rob Erinder and they were so casual about it. I thought it was a bit like I thought, you know what I mean, Like they were just they were making it up.
Speaker 2: And I looked and I was like, are you serious?
Speaker 4: And I had to walk away because that's when I realized, like, this show is a powerhouse. Oh yeah, they're gonna come and just like hang out and do these these.
Speaker 1: Bit what weird ridiculous bits on our show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so so crazy, and they were so incredible and cool and kind, and it was like taking a masterclass every day with the stories they would share.
Speaker 1: Oh well, so speaking of stories they would share, Rob Reiner was back, you know, back in the day he was on a little show called all in the family m HM, and he played the son of Archie Bunker and his dad. Archie Bunker used to always call Rob Reiner a meathead. That was like the thing. Every episode he would call him a meathead. I I would get the brilliant idea to in a scene with Rob Breiner, improvise and call him a meathead, thinking it would get a laugh out of him, thinking that he would chuckle in his belly and think, man, this young actor is on his way. He's genius with this remark that I've never heard before the first time, first time. So I did it. Man. This man stared a hole through me. This man stared a hole through me. And the look on his face was if you don't sit your punk ass.
Speaker 2: Down, no, there's no way.
Speaker 1: Yes, Rob is so nice.
Speaker 2: I'm sure. He looked at you like he's not going to make the show nice strike you.
Speaker 1: No, he looked at me like he had heard that for thirty forty years, said, you are not reinventing the real young man. I was. I was hurt. I was hurt.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. He's so sweet. I've bumped into him a couple of times now and he always treats.
Speaker 4: Me like I'm like a long lost daughter and and he's.
Speaker 2: Just always so like.
Speaker 4: Doing it's so sweet and genuine. What if I am what a dream that would be Jamie Lee Curtis And when she won that oscar, didn't you just feel like some sort of weird, like deep like it's just it's weird.
Speaker 2: When it's someone you know. I was just like some proud like she was.
Speaker 1: I know. That was one of the coolest moments, you know, seeing seeing that her own stage, was seeing that squad on stage for that film. Yeah, well shout out to Harry Shume Jr. A former Fox Family Harry, But yeah, anyway, he was on that stage. I sent the video to him and record the whole thing. He didn't respond.
Speaker 4: It's a big time time because we had to just dive into like talking littlebout Jamie Lee and Rob because Rob Ryder, it's not your homie because it was such a huge moment for a show to get them. But now we're gonna get into the episode.
Speaker 2: You want to talk about it a.
Speaker 1: Little more, Let's talk about it a little bit. So here's the deal. It's our traditional Thanksgiving episode in the Loft and divorced parents mean two separate thanksgivings, unless, of course, you're trying to parent trap your folks back into a loving relationship. Joan, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Bob rob Reiner are polar opposites, and as an audience, we have a hard time envisioning them ever being together. But Jessica day she will stop at nothing to get her parents back together. She reveals her father was dumped, knowing her mom will try to comfort him, and then Jess plays an old standard song that they love and sparks start to flying. CC tries to remind Jess of all her previous attempts, but when Jess sees the beginning of a spark, she ropes Nick into honey potting her mother. They sing romantic songs, they flirt over the turkey, but Nick forgets he's playing the game and develops feelings for Joan, who everybody loves Jimmy d Curtisy. Sorry I said it in such a deep voice, y'all, but you get my point. Meanwhile, Winston decides to have a little fun with the two Schmidts. Loft Schmidt's cousin, Big Schmidt, arrives in town, recently divorced and is ready to prove there's only one true Schmidt. Winston encourages the men to wheelbarrow, burp and Donkey raise their way to a champion. But when Ottawa's phyxiation enters the picture, lof Schmidt claims a new kind of man, the post Clinton man who enjoys a cheese played, likes to exfoliate and expertly cut vegetables. Unfortunately for Loft Schmidt, Big Schmidt was the Marines Chef of the Year in two thousand and three. He will do anything to prove he's the manliest, so CC jumps in and claims the manliest thing a man can do is be confident in his manhood. So whoever can kiss a guy wins the competition. CC offers up Winston this tribute without him knowing what was coming. Big Schmid really needs a win, and he well. He attacks Winston's face. He attacked it, y'all, He attacked it. Though he wins, he realizes after kissing Winston's lips that he really just misses his wife. Bob misses his wife too. Jealous of Nick's flirting and court and raw turkey juice, Bob and Joan head to the bathroom to get cleaned up. They share a spicy, spicy kiss, A spicy kiss some would consider more than that. Unfortunately, Jess sees and convinces herself that they are getting back together. Over dinner, just reveals she saw them in the bathroom doing dirty stuff, and Bob and John make it clear that they're never getting back together. Despondent just dumps the turkey in the sink, which my mama would have slapped the dog pis out of me if ifor done something stupid like that. She brewin Thanksgiving for everybody, damn it now. Later, she tells her mother that she's scarce she'll end up alone because both of her parents are single. JOm reminds her divorce is a part of life and her life is not predetermined. She could have a great love or do a Gray Gardens. Comforted, Jess says goodbye to her parents. As they leave the loft, we see that Jess's parent trap wasn't completely ineffectual. In fact, it might have been sexual because they look up in the elevator and promise not to tell Jess. And that's what happened on episode two, Await Parents.
Speaker 4: Let's dive into this episode because I have been really excited to talk about the idea of split holidays.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, going through that now, I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to get emotional. I don't want to get emotion.
Speaker 1: Christmas away from my baby.
Speaker 2: Holidays.
Speaker 4: I grew up having split holidays, and I remember I'm having conversations with kids at school who were so jealous, so jealous because my parents were divorced that I would have two Christmases. And it was like I was the cool girl because of it. Because the two Christmases. I remember being like, Wow, that was actually a very nice gift. I realized from like the kids at my school, I don't think a gift, but psychologically at the time, I was just like, I guess I'm winning.
Speaker 1: Well, technically technically you were. I mean double gifts. That doesn't it's like double vacations. Yeah, wow, that's interesting. That's interesting because as I'm co parenting, you know, it's a it is a strange thing. My daughter definitely gets multiple holidays. That because I also I feel like like when she's at her her mom's side of the family, let's say on Christmas that she would spend it with both, I would feel this urge to buy her two presents as well. She's over there with them that I don't want them to think I didn't get her a gifts. I want to send a gift.
Speaker 2: Yes, you got to represent over there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I won't keep my foot down in their household. And then I have presents here. You know, what a what a trick, what a scam this little girl did. She thinks she's.
Speaker 2: Slicked, Well, Jess does not feel that way.
Speaker 4: Jess wants her parents back together, and it's been scheming about making this happen for.
Speaker 2: Years and years and years.
Speaker 4: We get a great flashback scene of a young Jamie Lee Curtis and a young Rob Reiner, which made my heart, saying because they looked amazing, and I feel like there's a story. Jamie Lee Curtis told him on set that they're like they are truly, Jamie Curtis and Rob ran are like the oldest of friends, right, And didn't Rob Ryan or Mary Jamieie.
Speaker 2: Curtis and Christopher Guest he married. Yeah, she hated the ceremony. I should say, I don't.
Speaker 1: I was like, whoa progressive.
Speaker 2: Progressive?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna marry you?
Speaker 2: You're like legit besties.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I wonder it was like a package deal thing.
Speaker 4: We should ask Liz if like when she called and asked and Jamie Curtis was like, I'll do it, and robbed Rob like if I get to hang out with Jami Lee Curtis all day, she's my best friend.
Speaker 1: If it was what they called Rob Wriggle and he's like, I'll do it only if you get Jamie Lee Curtis. And this is a question for you. Have you have you ever been in this situation before.
Speaker 4: What trying to parent tat my parents. I do feel like there were moments where I felt like.
Speaker 2: It'd be so great they were back together.
Speaker 4: I think every kid kind of has the thought and there needs to be like a big conversation from the parents to explain the reasons why that's not going to ever work and why that's in the best interests of everyone. And then I think that's like the big moment at the end where she kind of gets it, when they kind of go like, this is it's better for everybody. We're all happy. If you're worried about our happiness. If you think that we're unhappy apart, we're happier apart which I thought was like really beautifully woven into you know, a comedy that's great lesson.
Speaker 1: Well that great lesson which we knew was BS because you know, we didn't find out that they are still slapping below the belt.
Speaker 4: You know what's funny, but that too. I was thinking about it. They do this thing, and I'm you know, it's not like they were writing later seasons at the time. They're writing episode to episode to episode with like season arcs in mind. But they make a real pointed, you know, moment of showing that Nick Miller and.
Speaker 2: Bob are the same person.
Speaker 4: They even use the same like terminology of like you know, you ruin everything, you ruin everything. They shout out the hallway at Bob and that's exactly what Jess says to Nick is what Jones says to Bob separately. They do that, and then I was thinking about, like the elevator hookup is like the big Nick.
Speaker 2: Jefs moment hookup.
Speaker 4: Big elevator hookup where they like declare their love and decide they want to be together, just like her mom and dad look at life.
Speaker 1: It's almost like expected, yo, It's almost like we had brilliant writers put in.
Speaker 2: This wrote it.
Speaker 4: No, but I don't think that they were thinking. I just wonder that's a good question to go back. I guess I'm when the text is an ask her because I'm like, did you when you thought about where are they going to have this iconic kiss? Was it that in mind? That that was like, you know, the relationships you'd also been hoping and dreaming for was her parents and they had iconic kissing.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, you know, being on the show, you're in it for so long, you don't realize some of the themes they're putting together. I mean, sometimes you do. When you can sit back and read an episode, a theme will just pop out with you know, on you and sometimes the theme is you know, somewhat in the title. But in this one, it was interesting. I had no idea that that was one of that that was a situation they were going for, that that was something they were trying to connect until just now, until you mentioned it.
Speaker 4: And that's what this podcast is important, the epiphanies you have a decade later when you rewatch it, you're like, hold up. They also, I feel like if I caught it this time watching it, I've never caught it before. Where I feel like they planted the seed for the first Winston cc aha, because there's like this under the breath muttering that really made me laugh.
Speaker 2: Of what are you doing? I'm bored?
Speaker 4: Yeah, worth it, let's go for it, and then it's thread runs until.
Speaker 1: It all Winston.
Speaker 4: Yeah, backfires on you, which we have to get to because I mean, I've always wanted to know what it's like to kiss a large, strapping man like Rob Wriggle and you have the experience.
Speaker 1: Well, I could tell you it wasn't like the other times. This one was unique.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It was so funny in that moment because Rob was trying to like map out how he was gonna kiss but not kiss me. So fun fact, folks, we never touched lips. So if you're wondering, if you're thinking about asking Rob how soft my lips are, he can't tell you. He gotta come to the source. But he did this thing where he took his thumbs and he put his thumbs over my lips and then he grabs the side of my face with the rest of his fingers and then kisses his own thumbs. So Rob, if he were to assume what my lips would feel like he'd probably say thumbs. He is kissing his own fingers, so yeah. In fact, it's a.
Speaker 2: Very very funny moment.
Speaker 4: I was like, I forgot, I was like, who ends up kissing made out?
Speaker 1: That's right, that was his first kiss on the show.
Speaker 2: I feel like there was also like a sweet C. C.
Speaker 4: Schmidt moment where she kind of helped Schmidt out because he can't figure his way out of this situation with his cousin. This is also a very great episode for lots of people breaking, which always makes me laugh because that means there wasn't one single take where the person could keep it together.
Speaker 2: And the all day, all day, all day Max is a mess.
Speaker 1: Max is you could clearly see him visibly laughing. He's just like, screw it, I'm gonna laugh. I it was it was I think in that moment, I want to say I had either pitched the all day thing no way, Yeah, I'm almost positive I did.
Speaker 2: It wasn't on the page. There was no all day ever written down.
Speaker 1: You know, I can like I can do this all day yeah. But then I think I screamed like oh.
Speaker 2: D and then it became.
Speaker 1: An yeah, and they just kept going back and forth with each other. Hucle I want to say that was me, and I want and you know, and I would love your thanks and your praise. If you're out there, I'm.
Speaker 2: Given to you. It's an iconic moment. I mean, I feel like the other big breaking moment that made me or I.
Speaker 1: Didn't or I think or I completely made that up sorry, or I just did not.
Speaker 2: There's no way to fact check. There's no way to fact check it.
Speaker 1: We'll go with I did.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go with it. We're just gonna save here. That was you. I didn't turn a line into a moment.
Speaker 4: The other favorite breaking moment that had me laughing and caught me off guard was Rob Reiner.
Speaker 1: Mm hm.
Speaker 4: It's when it's when the two Schmidts are showing how they would grind on Joan Oh yeahs, and they obviously could not get a reaction shot a Rob not just laughing at how committed and dumb those boys, and it made me laugh so hard.
Speaker 2: I love it because it's so funny.
Speaker 4: Because you think as an actor, like, oh, and you're laughing, you're laughing, You're not laughing like in character or whatever. But when you know people so intimately, you can actually tell when their smile is like a choice in a scene or it's their real smile.
Speaker 2: And it's so subtle, and I couldn't if you gave me ten.
Speaker 4: Hours and the full dictionary to go through to describe with the differences, I couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: It's just something, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but I love if you ever see me in a scene that doesn't call doesn't call for it, And it's a lot if you pay attention to this episod So actually, this this entire series, there's sometimes I'm delivering a line with a smirk on my face, Like if me and you know, Winston and Nick are getting into a slab fight and Winston has a bit of a smirk on his face, That's not how my character is supposed to be doing it. I'm laughing. I'm laughing, and I'm trying not to be laughing. I laughed so much on this show, and I think they capture a lot of it too, not to me. I think that I think Liz found that to be funny when people were breaking character and laughing, and we'll keep it in the show often first.
Speaker 4: I mean for me also, like I used to say, it was like the Queen of eyeball acting, because I feel like in season one they didn't give me a lot of dialogue.
Speaker 2: There was so much going on.
Speaker 1: You start, you start saying, hey, guys, gotta get more lines, and they go, holy shit, you speak English.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we didn't know what, but I do remember when I, you know, was in scenes, it was always something like cutting someone was like saying to me or about Jess or whatever the thing was, and it was my natural reaction to roll my eyes right or to give like a death stare. That is just my natural resting face and my natural reactions, which then became such a part of CC because I'd be just sitting there for hours and then I would just watch, you know, Jake make the dumbest, funniest choice ab how to like, you know, shove a turkey into something, and I would just like roll my eyes. That's the way I respond if I find something funny. That's what my face does.
Speaker 2: The show. And then it was like, that's that's a CC thing, and it's like, no, that's just me.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, oh okay.
Speaker 4: Here, here's actually the big question about this this Parent's episode.
Speaker 2: Have you ever watched Parent Trap?
Speaker 1: I have watched it. Oh I haven't. Oh my god, Lindsay Lohan.
Speaker 4: No, I mean I know of it because it's such an iconic movie. I know of it so intimately. I thought i'd watched it, and then I went and like read the synopsis and I'm like, oh, no.
Speaker 2: I just think I know it.
Speaker 1: We'll never watch Parent Trap. Well, it's an iconic tale about a young girl who will stop at nothing to get her parents back together. I think that's what it is. Or she could have a twin. I don't remember.
Speaker 2: There's definitely a.
Speaker 4: Twin, because that's what CC says to her. She right, She says, oh, it's parent Trap. Oh no, Nick says it. It's parent Trap, but without the twins or the mistaken identity. It's just a makeover you're doing right now to see if you can get your parents to go.
Speaker 2: There's no parent trapping that really is happening. She just likes the movie and then tries.
Speaker 4: To get her parents together, which also makes it so funny, because I feel like little kids do that where we think we're doing something but it's in no way actually related.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, there's a fun fact about me, and it's going to get very very dark. In a second, I did not care. I did not care to get my parents back together. Let's go to commercial. Wolcome shoes, and we're back from commercial for just tuning in. I had no cares to get my parents back together, as they did in the classic film Parent Trap.
Speaker 2: Sorry you're just coming back. My computer is garbage and we're started out.
Speaker 1: She got this so much. Also, a fun fact about today, two things. One is that it is now three fifty seven in the morning. And also, Hannah, for the longest time, she's had the exact same laptop that she did when we started a New Girl.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Actually it's you had to dial up laptop.
Speaker 2: The modem connects.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Okay, So we were talking a little bit about, you know, Jamie Lee Curtis and the effect that she had on us on the show. That moment, that moment she's in the kitchen cooking, you know, or basing that turkey with Jake Johnson. That that was powerful. That was a sexy moment.
Speaker 4: It was a very sexy moment, and it was one that I could believe that, you know, It's like those moments were the character and then the actor, like the Venn diagram. Those are moments of crossover. I feel like that could have happened to Jake Johnson.
Speaker 1: You think Jake Johnson, not Nick Miller. You think Jake Johnson. Yeah, could have made love to Jamie Lee Curtis.
Speaker 2: No, but I feel like you could have got a little lost in the sauce in a sexy moment where you go like, what am I doing? I think I'm feeling somethings. It can happen to any of us. It can happen to any of us.
Speaker 1: One minute you're based in the Turkey. Next next minute you're based in that ass.
Speaker 4: Definitely now and I'm trying to think I will saying it's the holidays, having a few drinks.
Speaker 2: Things could happen, That's all.
Speaker 4: I just thought it was believable. But Zoe's reaction like that she makes as just in that scene is so funny, where she's like grabs him, snatches him away. She's like, you ain't about to become my stepfather.
Speaker 2: Let's move something. What's happening today?
Speaker 1: He did become daddy though.
Speaker 4: Okay, oh, this was my other thing I noticed during the episode. Okay, when when Nick and Boba on the couch talking and they're talking about ze for Zombie. Am I right on this right? And he says that the hold and I have to call up my notes. My nose is jumped. He says, Carol the zombie and Carol. Do you think they chose a name Carol to be short for Caroline, Like he's like kind of like thinking about his acts.
Speaker 1: I think so. I think one hundred, because you know, we find out in the later episode that he can't spell rhythm, right, which is alluding to the fact that Nick Miller has no rhythm.
Speaker 2: No rhythm. That's not a shock.
Speaker 1: I think it's all connected.
Speaker 2: It's all connected.
Speaker 4: I feel like the true like easter eggs of this whole show all lie with it and Zeus.
Speaker 1: For Zombie, probably probably because I feel like I feel like, for some reason, I only remember the Zeus for Zombie in later seasons. I didn't realize that this was a thing from the beginning. Like again, going back and doing this podcast, I was like, my god, zombie has been around for a long time.
Speaker 2: M h, it's been around from the beginning. They really did.
Speaker 4: That's like, when we get Liz back on this show, maybe at the end of the season, I.
Speaker 2: Want to be like, how much did you arc out the series?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean? Like that elevator kiss, Like, how much did you arc out this series? Or is it one of those things that when you look back you can find connection points that make it make sense.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're doing imagine, you're dealing with the same, uh, the same core group of writers, you know what I mean? And sometimes your brain, when it's active to tell a joke, you go in a certain direction, and so they probably when you're writing a certain style or techn you're probably tapping back into very similar thoughts that you had along the journey, and you probably don't remember. So you're right, you probably go back and you can connect them and they probably weren't done intentionally, but because it's coming from the same brain, you know that maybe that's it.
Speaker 2: M I like the theory.
Speaker 1: You like the the theory, and I gotta tell you it's not a theory.
Speaker 2: You're like, this is far science, it's a fact.
Speaker 1: This is a fact. There's nothing theoretical about what I said.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about the theory of like figuring out what's going on a New Girl. Whether these things that kind of all come back together.
Speaker 2: Mmm, this Parent's episode. We're going deep, you guys, We're going deep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, because you know I had a rough relationship growing up, So we gotta tap in because right now I think we're gonna get a breakthrough in my emotional state.
Speaker 2: There is no part of you ever thought your parents should get back together, even when you were little.
Speaker 4: We're not going to go there, going to take all of that in the back of the closet.
Speaker 2: We're going to close the door. We're not going to go there.
Speaker 1: We don't have to go there.
Speaker 2: That's not go there.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, here's I just want to talk about one of my favorite quotes is in this episode. I didn't really realize it came from this episode, which is from Nick Miller, who I feel like I could have said this a thousand times in my life.
Speaker 2: Do I regret it? Yes? Would I do it again? Probably?
Speaker 1: Probably.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's a lot of LFE though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we listen they say you learn from your mistakes. No we don't. We don't. We love the way that mistake felt and so ourselves back there.
Speaker 2: That's right, the happy mistakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because what we think, we trick ourselves to think that the outcome will be different. You know, the quote should be you should be learning from your mistakes because we should, but we don't because we stupid.
Speaker 2: It is you, It is you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know. One thing that I found interesting about this episode is the idea of of and this is because of our mess around the idea of what being manly is. You know that. I thought that was a very interesting thing to go through to talk about in the show. And it was almost like they were like bordering some lines a little bit whatever. I was everything a comment easy now. I know this is twenty twelve. There's a different back then, like easy now. You know some of the things that felt like were happening in this episode. And I'm gonna I'm gonna say something that we could probably cut it just because this is a story that I needed to tell about. This moment. This my friend, uh, some friends from high school who hit me up. They sent me a text and they were like, dude. It was kind of like kind of like a congratulations slash. We never knew message it was man. We just it's been going around that that you know, you're you're bisexual, not not gay, but bisexual, very very It was I was like wait what okay? I was like, well, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 1: And are you being serious? It's a joke because it's a bit. I was like, you know, I'm not have my I got my ladies. I was in a relationship at the time, and they go uh. I was like, what will make you say that? And he goes, well, everybody's been talking. You know we watched the that last episode of your show and you know you kissed.
Speaker 2: Get out of town.
Speaker 1: I started crying loud, like.
Speaker 2: Do you understand how fictional stories work?
Speaker 1: I was like, wait, what, Oh my god?
Speaker 2: I was in tears.
Speaker 1: I was in tears where that's that's I remember. That's the one thing I took away from this episode is that but it's like, there's a rumor about you based on this episode of television. And I was like, you gotta be kidding me. Where by going home to every summer you know what's funny?
Speaker 4: Though there's a lot of we shouldn't get that it's so funny. I feel like there's been like so many like moments where you realize what people are watching. There's there's difficulty in separating it from reality. Because I remember when there was like the big C. C. Schmidt breakup like people would like run to like shove themselves into an elevator with me and be like out of breako and like please please take Schmidt back.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, And I'd.
Speaker 4: Be like, I Wow, Okay, how do I explain this to you? Because you're very distressed. I'm I'm not CC, Max is not Schmidt. It's a story, and I don't even write the story.
Speaker 2: So I can't. I can't even in this story make it happen for you.
Speaker 4: On multiple levels, on so many levels, I cannot help you.
Speaker 2: Right now, I'm getting off on this floor. I feel like I've left you worse than I found you. I'm so sorry. Thank you for watching closing the pressing the close the door. Bu. But it's true. There's moments where people blur it.
Speaker 4: So I'm sure seeing Robrick will kiss you there was like, well against.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, that's an interesting thought, you guys, Harry Stute. This is also something interesting about this episode. I do believe this was the episode where so Rob Wriggle big Schmidt is showing that he can he can, he can he can do his thing in the in the kitchen right, and he's got this knife and he's just chopping and he's just going ba man, man, man man. Fun fact, I believe that the person there was a stunt person doing the chopping there was. It wasn't Rob doing a lot of the hand to knife stuff. For safety reasons, he could do it, but for safety reasons, they had a stunt person do it. This stunt person, Damnar, chopped his whole finger off and was bleeding all over the place in this episode, and I just thought to myself, man, they hired you to do this, and low and behold anyway, I don't know why that. I hope he's okay. I do hope he's okay, But if not, I hope they give him a cyboard hand.
Speaker 4: I will say there's a couple of things I just would like to share as we kind of wrap up this episode about Jamie Lee Curtis, just because I was such a huge, huge fan of hers, not just because of the work that she had done shout out to true Lies love that movie, but because she had many years before, had a photo published of her in her like braun underwear where she said, I'll do this photo shoot, but you can't retouch my body.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to look like.
Speaker 4: My body, and it was like it was like disruptive to the whole game because everything had been retouched and people posed in certain ways and certain angles.
Speaker 2: And did the thing.
Speaker 4: And it it was as a young girl seeing that image something I can I can see it now.
Speaker 2: It just was so important to see what a real woman's body looked like. She was. It was just so powerful.
Speaker 4: And so when I found out that she was coming on said because she was also this role model to me for doing that, I was so nervous. And she was, by far, in my life, one of the most down to earth kind and fully like in herself, knowing herself, kind of humans I've ever met. I remember, because she was.
Speaker 2: She was talking to me about so we're talking about like philosophy and life, and I told her that, you know, I'm from half Indian and had she ever been to India? It just felt like she'd been to India. I remember she looked at me and she was like.
Speaker 4: No, and I have no wanderlust, no wonderlust at all, no desire, you know. And I remember just being so taken aback because how most people speak. If you say like, oh, have you ever been to wherever, India, China and whatever.
Speaker 2: People go like no, but like maybe one day or I'd like to. It's just like a natural reflex we have as humans.
Speaker 4: And for her to be able to lovingly but knowing herself and going nope, and I have no interests because I don't have wanderlust was another huge lesson from like the Jamie Lee Curtis Book of Life.
Speaker 2: I feel like where I was like, oh, yeah, you don't have to think that someone's going to take offense by your own truth. Just say it. That's fine.
Speaker 1: I don't want to go.
Speaker 2: I love her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't see that. That photo that just you know that you said was retouched over and over and over. I hadn't seen that.
Speaker 2: Fun never been retouched, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yeah, I have never seen that photo. But I can tell you I personally know what it's like to be retouched over and over and over again. Okay, alright, I am in the streets again, y'all. I'm a single ready to be touched and then retouched.
Speaker 2: This is what happens.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is why this podcast has just become a mess around. I'm talking about body positivity. Female empowerment about it, touch about it.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'm all about it. Feel empowered to retouch. I'm lonely, is what I'm trying to tell everybody out there.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, episode it's getting emotional for you. It is extremely lonely, Hannah.
Speaker 1: Often on this show we talk about a certain we have a certain topic on the show that we dive into, and oftentimes you deliver, but oftentimes you fail.
Speaker 4: Oh Hannah, Okay, Hannah, Okay, Yes, I know what you're gonna say. I know what you're gonna say, and listen, hold up, because I know the bear the bear.
Speaker 2: Now it's time for Where's the Bear?
Speaker 1: Where's the Bear?
Speaker 2: Where's the Bear? Is brought to you by Hyundai.
Speaker 4: When it comes to your journey, Hyundai is thinking of every mile.
Speaker 2: I got the greatest.
Speaker 1: DM Okay from Yogi.
Speaker 4: It's from the handle is the Disney Mermaid. Shout out to the Disney Mermaid because she wrote caps important bear hunt Hannah parentheses Also La morning Zoe.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So every time, every every single time you're doing Where's the Bear, all I can think about is Sein filled. There was purposefully a superman in every single episode.
Speaker 2: This is confirmed. It was on Jeopardy. But the thing is, in so many episodes it was just the same Superman statue on Jerry's bookshelf. Justice for Fridge Bear. Okay, he's there.
Speaker 4: He's not appearing in every single episode, but he is in episodes with no other Bears. Coincidence, I think not it sho didn't have to be a different bear in every episode. Anyway, Girls, my favorite show of all time. I watch it over and over and over. My husband and I quote it all the time.
Speaker 2: So grateful for the comfort that brings me. And I love you all. I love the podcast. Love Rebecca Hines from West Virginia. Thank you. Okay, because yes, in this episode it is the fridge Bear.
Speaker 4: But now I'm saying a lot of people are telling me cluting, Rebecca, that's ballid, So Fridge Bear this episode appears.
Speaker 1: Are you Are you retroactively going back to all the times you let the fans down, all the times you left your co stars hanging in anticipation to find this damn bear. A you mean to tell me, to tell me that you're retroactively going back to place the bear in the moments you failed us, so you can have failed.
Speaker 4: Us from the Jamie Lee Curtis Book of Life. Okay, I stand in my truth. I've always said fridge Fair when there was no other bear to be found, and I've always said it's a valid bear.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that a lot of other people are echoing back that.
Speaker 4: That is valid and truthful and has been used in different ways on other shows that are iconic.
Speaker 2: So it counts bear.
Speaker 1: Make sure you go out and get our merchant. The new one is going to say the bear is on the refrigerator. That's what it's going to say.
Speaker 2: Fair.
Speaker 4: We're gonna drop some new merch where it's just the fridge with fridge Bear on it. If you wear it, I will love you because I believe in fridge Fair.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I you know fine, I'll let you have that one because you're not you're not lying, you're not lying. But also, but also besides the pilot, there was a big strapping you know, brolic young man on the show with Harry chest I'm not talking about Jake Johnson talking about me. So hey, hey y'all out.
Speaker 2: There, slow down.
Speaker 1: I'm jus so parents, ladies wrong, I'm strong.
Speaker 4: This whole episode is like really like tapping the parents. It's the masculinity, emotional honesty. We're doing it all today, you guys, thanks for helping us with our bear hunt Hundai. Remember, with Hyundai, it's all about the journey, whatever your destination, They've got the latest tech to get you there safe and keep your passengers entertained along the way. From shopping to buying to owning. Hyundai has your back. Learn more at Hyundai USA dot com. All Right, everyone, thank you so much for listening to this episode.
Speaker 2: One of my all time favorites. It's a great one. Go kiss your.
Speaker 4: Mom, kiss your dad, get a good old hugball going, get up together, break them up. Do you think, do whatever you gotta do, Do whatever you gotta do, do what.
Speaker 2: Works for them for you.
Speaker 1: Shout out Lindsay lohand love you girl. I'll be home soon, okay, all right, I won't be coming.
Speaker 2: Back just having a baby.
Speaker 1: Yes, the boy ain't mine.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, gold, we've cleared that up. You've heard it your first folks. All right, we're gonna drop some new merch. We're gonna start working on it.
Speaker 1: Fridge Bear, Yes, Fridge Bear and the Lindsay Lohan boy ain't mine. We love y'all give us five stars. Write a good comment, write a good remark piece.
Speaker 3: Hie, You've been listening to Welcome to Our Show, a New Girl recap podcast. Welcome to Our Show is a production of iHeartRadio, hosted by Zoey Deschanel, Lamurne Morris, and Hannah Simon. Our executive producer is Joel Monique. Our engineer and editor is Daniel Goodman. But Welcome to Our Show theme song was written by Zoey Deschanel, performed and produced by zoe da Chanel and Pierre de Reader. Follow us on Instagram at Welcome to Our Show Pod. If you have a question you'd like us to answer, you can email us at Welcome to Our Show Podcast at gmail dot com. Don't forget to rate, subscribe, and share far and wide. Thanks for listening. We'll hear you next week.