Speaker 1: Ladies and gentleman Donald Ebody, Donald Nice. He's wearing his.
Speaker 2: Hot California. Don't you have Arizona, Nevada?
Speaker 3: As this motherfuckeris alte No.
Speaker 1: This is a really good smoothie I just got. Oh, it's got I think it's got dates in it or figs in it or some ship dates smoothie?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 1: I didn't hear you guys ever go to Earth Cafe a couple of Yeah, of course, Earth Cafe is my jam.
Speaker 3: It's Earth Cafe Earth You.
Speaker 1: It's spelled for you listeners who might one day visit West Hollywood, California. It's spelled you are th h And it's really good. You know what I like to get?
Speaker 3: Donald Deez motherfucking nuts.
Speaker 1: Way, mister, what's his name, mister mister uh, mister beats. What's his name? Daniel, mister be the beast, his beast, mister beast. He's got God. This guy is fucking breaking in the money. He's got a freak Anyway, his team I know, and he has chocolate that's called D's Nuts. I don't know why I'm giving this guy a promo because I haven't even tried these nuts. But his team slid into my DMS saying they wanted to send me something and it looked really good. It looked like Reese's peanut butter cups.
Speaker 2: I don't want to I don't necessarily want to eat mister beasts. Well it's called these nuts, so it doesn't work, but it's funny. You know, it really works. I'm sorry I heard this on the internet. My kid is now surfing YouTube when we're in the car on the way to basketball, and I heard a really good D's Nuts one and I don't want to say it because I don't want to sound like I'm kind of like, you know, but the joke is the dude goes, what's your name? And he goes imagine And the guy goes, imagine Dragon, What imagine Dragon? These nuts all over your face? And I lost it.
Speaker 3: My kid played this ship and I lost it. I lost the best dad because but.
Speaker 1: Donald Donald's the perfect dad for a little teenage boy because he's.
Speaker 3: Like, he's nuts. My kid's nine.
Speaker 1: You reminded me of something I learned this weekend from a sixteen year old Donald. Have you heard of the expression that's now on TikTok and a sixteen year old boy explained it to me. It's called the giacht. Is that like when no, Donald, that's an egot. Okay, what it's used to describe, Joel, you might want to adopt this, write it down. It's when you see a really nice, juicy bottom, and that's called the giach. Do you know why it's called the giyat? Donald?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 1: Because when you see it, you go yeah, no.
Speaker 4: Oh, my word, the children.
Speaker 2: That's exactly how I felt when they said, imagine dragon, these nuts all over your face.
Speaker 3: I laughed for like five minutes. But yo, look, I don't.
Speaker 1: Want Henry Lawrence who taught me this, And I'm like, I don't understand. Why are they calling a nice bubble butt a gillacht? He goes, because when you see it, you think gillacht diale.
Speaker 3: That's just horrible.
Speaker 1: That's why I thought you'd like that. You think it's horrible.
Speaker 3: I like these nuts jokes better. But all right, that's just me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw mission impossible. It was fucking awesome.
Speaker 3: It didn't do that well.
Speaker 1: Well, it didn't do that well?
Speaker 3: And are we allowed to talk about that? Okay? Now this is where we get we're not allowed to talk about this.
Speaker 1: We're not allowed to talk about seeing a movie, Joel, I think some.
Speaker 4: People will constitute that as promotion.
Speaker 1: Well, you can leave that in. You can leave that in because we're learning, all right, guys, So let's just get to the obvious. There's a SAG strike, there's a Writer's Guild strike. We're not allowed to talk about Scrubs because one of the rules that we received is you cannot even promote a show that would have been struck had it been filming now, and obviously Scrubs would have been struck, right.
Speaker 3: Donald, Yep?
Speaker 1: Now, Joelle, I saw that full House of the TV show they just started a rewatch podcast and it said that they had received some sort of permission from SAG to do it, and I was like, I'm gonna ask Joelle about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the rules have come down and there's.
Speaker 3: A little bit confusing.
Speaker 4: So basically, so SAG wrote to iHeart it was basically like, hey, you guys can continue to do rewatch podcasts if you're under con tracked to do them.
Speaker 3: So okay.
Speaker 4: Then we got through the SAG rules we're going through with a fine line and it said if you are SAG, you cannot promote a show. And then sag asked cosplayers not to promote a show if they ever want to be in the union. So then I was like, the waiver seems interesting and a little bit confusing, and so you know, when you came back and you're like, I don't think we should do it, I was like, Okay, I think it's a good to be in alignment with the union and support and we are a very visible podcast, and so I like the idea, and we're looking for ways to pivot when we run out of Scrubs episodes. So I thought, you know what, this might be a been few time for us to try some new things.
Speaker 1: Joelle, I actually said that to Donald because Donald and I went to picket Netflix today to show our support for our union, and I said to him, I'm in the car. I think it's actually fine because it'll get us practicing and doing other things but the show since we're running out of episode and we want the show to continue.
Speaker 4: M Yeah, I think it's a good opportunity for us in a good way for us to show our support and hopefully educate folks. I'm like, why it's important to be in alignment with the union with the union is trying to get for everybody.
Speaker 3: It's a big deal. What's happening right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, whether you agree with it or whether you don't agree with it, the fact that all of these people are coming together for one cause, for one purpose is powerful no matter.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: That was a conversation. That's another conversation. We'll get into it later on too, as we get into the show. But that was another conversation Zach and I had in a car, like what are we doing this for?
Speaker 3: What's the end game? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Or We have a great guest today whose name is Adam Conover, and he hosts a show called Adam Ruins Everything, but most importantly for our purposes, he's been very vocal on social media. Choell, correct me. I'm ever wrong about explaining this strike and the Writer's Guild strike to people that don't understand it, because most of our listeners, as we obviously understand, are not in the industry, and you might think, like, what is this about. You know, when you think of Hollywood, you think of rich, famous celebrities, and of course this strike is not about the rock It's not really about even Donald and I. It's not about a lot of people I mean in the macro, of course it is, but it's really about the fact that an animal correct the stat if I'm wrong. But I just recently read it, and that is that only twelve percent of SAG members make the minimum amount, which is twenty six thousand dollars a year in order to qualify for health insurance. So it's about so many people that are barely getting by with the way the industry currently is, and how all of these new modes of receiving the entertainment that is streaming, have cut out the main way that actors and writers were making money, which was participating in residuals and of course AI and.
Speaker 2: All the Yeah, well I want to get into AI too, because you know, I heard rumors and I don't know if this is true, and we'll talk to Adam about this, but I heard rumors that they had already started contacting people or have taken pictures of people's likenesses in the background, paid them one time, and then used, yeah, there, this is true.
Speaker 1: Well what it is we can ask Adam. But as I understand it, it wasn't for a perpetuity. Although that's super sketch. Who's gonna who's gonna look and and and be able to who's gonna freaking who's gonna audit whether you're right. But let's say you're on Let's say you're a background person on Game of Thrones or or something, some big crowd scene. Right, So they pay you to be a background performer for the day, which is I don't know, two hundred fifty dollars, like you sure the sagmentum what the sagmentimum background is? And then they scan you because they're gonna also use you digitally in crowd scenes in that show. So the ridiculous deal seem to be, we're gonna pay you for one working day, but then also scan you and use you in perpetuity on this show for that whatever that minimal day rate is. So that's all crazy stuff. That's that that that's happening, and we're gonna ask Adam all about that. But most importantly, we want to have Adam on the show for our listeners. Because we, the four of us, only know little tidbits about it. We wanted someone to come on who could explain it all, not only to us but to you and hopefully we can all gain some insight what this what this is all about, and what is the endgame? As Donald said, how does this possibly end? And how long could it feasibly be? I gotta say one funny story before bite, Adam, and do you remember the the Key and Peel sketch you guys were where Barack Obama gets off the stage and to all the African American people, he's giving the hip hop hugs. This is exactly what happened when Donald and I were just picking it. Donald, every single African American actor was like yo to Donald giving him hugs. They remembered him, they knew him in New York, they know his mom, all this stuff. Like Donald was like fucking basically Obama on the picket line. And then they'd seen me in like, oh hey, how are you? How are you?
Speaker 3: How are Yeah?
Speaker 1: I was like, I was like, dude, this is real life. This is the real life version of that Key and Peel.
Speaker 3: See, this hasn't happened in a long time where people were.
Speaker 2: Like, yo, fuck Faison, Donald, Faison, I'm sorry, what's your name?
Speaker 1: To Zach that really happened to him. And then the same guy who said that was like, yeah, I'm killing it with the Spectrum commercials with Donald Donald. I was like when I left the picking like Donald should run for office. I mean, everybody loved Donald. They were going crazy, They're asking for selfies with Donald.
Speaker 3: I got haters. I got haters. Don't everybody got haters? Donald, I got, I gotta have haters. I ain't doing it right.
Speaker 1: Donald. You must have left that picket line being like, damn, I'm beloved, no, because you always tell that story how it was scrubs guy, and today today it was it was. It was definitely Donald Faison and white scrubs and.
Speaker 3: White scrubs, right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So let's count in and inviting Adam.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Donald sties about sure, we made about a bunch of.
Speaker 5: The stories. So here, ladies and gentlemen, give it up.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I don't think that's how you say his name, Donald, How do you say it? Adam Conover? I did say that, I know, but you said it with your Oprah voice, and it was really hard to understand.
Speaker 3: You're a dick, Adam.
Speaker 1: You're very handsome man. Yeah, I told you that.
Speaker 2: I was expecting something else.
Speaker 1: Show, and so I know what you look like, but I didn't know I was gonna get movement?
Speaker 2: Is I am never well, this is harassment. I have never seen your show. It's fine, But as soon as I saw you, I was like, hello.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well now this chat's going to be If you guys need to google image if you don't know what Adam looks like. He's a very handsome man, and I think it's gonna make this chat even more enjoyable.
Speaker 3: Donald I agree. Wow you guys, You guys are too nice.
Speaker 1: Adam, thank you so much for coming on. We this is our very first episode not talking about our television show because we are honoring the strike rules and we all have questions we don't know understand we have. We know we know some basic things about the strike. Our audience, obviously, for the most part, is not entertainment, and we thought they probably have lots of questions because they probably are sitting there going why is Leonardo DiCaprio on strike? I don't understand he has a yacht.
Speaker 2: And also for those audience members out there who do know who are in the union and who are actors but still don't know what's going on, this is a great conversation to have because there are a.
Speaker 3: Bunch of people out there.
Speaker 2: There are a bunch of people out there that have no clue what's happening.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm happy to answer every question as best I can, and uh my credentials in that matter, in case you're curious are I'm on the board of the Writer's Guild of America West and the negotiating committee for the Writers Guild on a sag After a member as well, so I know a little bit more about the Writers Guild than about sag After. But I bet I can answer almost every one of your questions.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, let's start at the very beginning, which Donald is you know, is a very good place to start.
Speaker 2: Let's start at the very Okay, So which line should we go to if we're looking for hot chicks?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Donald wants to know first and foremost, even as a married man. As a married man, Donald wants to know which picket line has the most baddies.
Speaker 3: The answer is absolutely Netflix. You need to go to the Netflix line.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, there you go, Donald, you've been informed that's actually where we picketed today. We picketed today. Let's get to the basics, Adam, and we'll just start with SAG if you don't mind, because that's the one that is obviously become on our minds. I'm in the Writers' Guild too, but Donald's in SAG and obviously one hundred and sixty thousand people just went on the strike, and those were all the most of the celebrity names that people know. So we've explained it in mediocre terms to people trying to explain the idea of residuals, and we can will separate AI out for just for the moment, let's just talk about how people's livelihoods have been changed with the move to streaming. Can you can you explain it like I'm five, as they say to our audience who are not in entertainment.
Speaker 3: Sure, So the last time writers and actors went on strike together was nineteen sixty. It was sixty three years ago, and what we want in that negotiation was this thing called residuals. And the residual payment as it was then and mostly still is today, is that when something that we make that you know, we create as the original artists who created the work, and then this includes directors as well and crew members, every time that airs, we receive a percentage of the profit or we receive a payment, So it's not technically a percentage of the profit. It's a it's you know, we receive a payment every single time it airs. And you know that was invented in the days of broadcast, then updated for cable where you know, it's near programming, so every time they choose to rerun it, you get a payment. It also applies to theatrical releases and you know physical DVD as well, And this ended up becoming a fundamental part of our our compensation where you know, as folks may not realize that for the average working actor or writer, you know, you work one job and you get paid for that job, but it can be six months to a year before you get your next job, during which time you're not sitting around, you're working. You're a plot you know, you're auditioning, you're writing spec scripts, you're developing, right, but you're not paid for that work. So residuals became an essential part of how you know what it's like to make a living in this town. So, for example, I created a show called Adam Ruins. Everything I wrote on that show I also acted in it, and every every year that the show aired, I would receive something like twenty five thousand dollars in residuals for all the various runs of the episodes, and the residual is it's the first time it runs, and it goes down every time. So, you know, the first job, we get the twenty five thousand dollars. Now I get maybe five grand year or something like that. Now twenty five thousand dollars. I'm not getting rich off of that, but that's like, you know, part of a mortgage payment for your year. You're right, that's just that's part of a living and it adds up with everything, all the other money that you're making. It helps you make a life here.
Speaker 2: Because coming here you gotta hustle regardless. And we all know, yes, right that, we all know this town is about hustling and it never fucking pays. But you know, back then, at least we got some sort of you know, here you go, here's an extra bonus of we played it again.
Speaker 3: And by the way, some people wonder, what is the concept behind a residual at all? Why do we think we deserve one? Because most people who do a job, they're like, well, you know, if I help build a boat, I don't get money every time someone rents the boat or whatever. Right, the reason for that is and this is I think one of the interesting things that's underappreciated is that most writers or performers, you own the copyright to what you make. Right, you write a novel, you own the copyright to it, and you have to get paid every time. Right. In the entertainment industry, we give the copyright to the movie studio when I write a screenplay or an episode of television. I don't retain the copyright like a novelist does, right, I give it to the company. And so the residual is like a really payback for me assigning the copyright to them. So sorry, what was your question going to be, Zach?
Speaker 1: You know, I want to just help parse out for people to remove the celebrity aspects of not that obviously those people want residuals, Donald and I want residuals. But I want to just parse out that everyone in Hollywood, for the most part is a freelance worker. Yes, some people, yes, have been very lucky and made a ton of money, but think of the bulk of the guild, and those can range from people who work every once in a while, and the are date players who get a line here and there. They're the smaller characters. Those could be people that have a big show but have had haven't had a show again in years. And those can be also a background performers who works as the people in the background and everything and anything in betw.
Speaker 2: I'm about to say, there's so much. There's so many other things. There are people that were on television shows for years and didn't get paid money because of course the way contracts were made, and didn't get paid a lot of money. And we are led to believe that their persona in the world is big and they're famous and everything like that, but their check was little.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah. Think of that ultimate example of that wonderful actor. I can't think of his name, Joelle, you might know it, who was on The Cosby Show and he was working as a grocery bagger and I remember it went viral because the world was shocked, and he was like, noh, yeah, why are you shocked? I worked for a while on the Cosby Show, but I haven't worked in years, and now I need to make a living and pay for my family. And there was such an outpouring of love for him. He ended up getting lots of jobs, but that was a that was a moment that I think is really apropos for this discussion, because there's a guy who who isn't just a who. Maybe he's not a household name, but he was a working actor we all grew up watching, and now he's working as a was working as a grocery bagger. So I just would help you, I guess, Adam, I want you to help us explain to the audience how to parse out, yeah, the different aspects of the union.
Speaker 3: Look, I saw I saw a great Sorry, sorry.
Speaker 1: I want to say. His name is Jeffrey Owens. Jowell just told me go ahead.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean Jeffrey's story is the is the common story in Hollywood. I saw some stats today that if you go look at the number of actors who have appeared on your favorite show, look at like Law and Order, Right, thousands of actors have appeared on Law and Order over there. Now that's a long show, but even a shorter run show, it'll be you know, a thousand actors have been on Mad Men or whatever. Right, we're talking background actors. We're talking like, you know, people who have one or two lines, et cetera. And those are middle class jobs. When you turn on your television. Ninety five percent of the people you see on there are just trying to make a mortgage payment. You know, Mariska Hargeta is making a ton of money. The guy who's playing the dead body is like hoping to hoping to pay rent this month, right, right, And so the decline of residuals has hit those folks. So I said that, you know, for writing in Adam Ruins Everything, I would receive about twenty five grand a year, a little bit less for acting. Let's say ten something like that, right, my total residual payment. I created a new show for Netflix, six episodes called The G Word. Came out in last year, twenty twenty two. I just received my first residual payment for the entire year of that being on the largest platform in the world, whereas Adam Ruins Everything was on the smallest channel on basic cable. My entire year's residual was five hundred dollars, which is obviously shit.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, dude, listen, man, all right, If I'm on a show and it streams like a beast on whatever streaming platform it is, and somebody else is on the show and it doesn't stream like a beast, here's the question, shouldn't I get paid more money in residuals because my show was watched more?
Speaker 3: Or I mean, these.
Speaker 1: Are want to connect. I just want to I just want to connect the dots for everyone. So Adam's first show that he's referencing where he made the twenty five and the ten thousand dollars, was a basic a smaller basic cable show on te T Now. Yes, yeah, on True TV. Now that we the whole world has moved to streaming is basically gone. I'm surprised you even got five hundred dollars there. It's just not a thing. The Netflix model and Netflix began it, if I'm not mistaken, was we're not going to participate in that there There is no or maybe there's a miniscool amount there, but for all intents and purposes, there is no residual. We're buying you out and there is no back end money. How did they get around that, Adam, I guess because it was a new platform. It wasn't cable, it was streaming, right, correct.
Speaker 3: So you know, one of the problems with you know, labor negotiations in America, this is just how it works in our industry is every time there's a new format, we have to renegotiate for that format. So you know, the when the Writers Guild was founded ninety years ago, SAG after around the same time, or sorry, SAG was originally just the Screen Actors Guild, and you know, first it just covered film. Then television was invented, and the unions had to fight to cover television, and that that was just broadcast, right NBC, ABC, CBS. Then cable was invented, and so we had to fight to cover cable, had to fight to cover HBO, and now streaming and.
Speaker 1: That was DVDs HS and I guess probably covered DVD.
Speaker 3: And if you if you remember the last writers strike in two thousand and seven and eight, the entire point of that strike was just to get jurisdiction over the internet, just to say those jobs have to be union. And thankfully the writers at that time went on strike and won that for everybody. Now that you know streaming has taken over, we are going back to get the money right because our contracts just the formulas are worse for they're very very poor for streaming, whereas they're quite good and mature for broadcasting cable. And so we're trying to get that parody.
Speaker 2: Well, what's crazy is that they'll, you know, like always, they'll scream, we don't have the money, though, where's the money? What fucking money are you talking about? I'm not making any money.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I got paid my salary and then got that bonus that you know, extra forty three but you know, the million, but you know that's not where what are you talking about? That we have money to pay all of you actors?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what do you say to that, Adam, Because obviously the studios, the streamers, line and Bob Iger came out and said some things that were quite unpopular, but basically saying, the industry is at a tough spot. It's recovering from COVID. This is the worst time for this. We don't have money. This is going to hurt the industry more at a time when it's just trying to recover. I'm paraphrasing. He was. You know, it was round widely received, very poorly, as he felt like he was the living incarnation of mister Burns from The Simpsons, especially since he's collecting some obscene amount of salary every year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had just renegotiated in a salary for himself an extra fifty million a year.
Speaker 1: An extra fifty million a Year's.
Speaker 3: That's my understanding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what do they say in response other than we can't afford this.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that is all that they say, you know. And here's the thing though, that's not a line that we can listen to, because you know, we never ask them and they say, oh, yeah, now's a great time. Business is booming. Pull up a chair, you know, we're ready to negotiate, right, They always oh, it is such a bad time. Oh we're all tightening our belts. Oh, we can't afford it. Right, But if you look at the actual numbers and the writers build we have a research department that spends all day every day analyzing how much money the companies are making. They're all making more profit than ever, they're all making more revenue than ever. And the show budgets have gone up. Show budgets have gone up by fifty percent over the last ten years. Writer pay has gone down by twenty three percent. And I don't have the figures on hand for actors, but if listening to you know, working actors such as yourselves and my friends who do that, and just my own experiences as an actor. It's it's clearly harder to make a living here than it was, you know, just five or ten years ago. So you know, now what has happened is that they had a boom because of the pandemic. Everyone signed up for streaming services, and the boom is like fading a little bit, right, But that was That doesn't mean they're unprofitable. And also they all decided to buy each other. So Warner Brothers Discovery, you know, took on immense amounts of debts that David Zoslov could you know, his small company, Discovery, he could buy this giant company, Warner Brothers. It was a terrible deal. He's you know, they're losing money on the deal because they're having to finance all this debt. But that's not our fault. It doesn't you know, that doesn't mean that we should pay Like if you work at a grocery store, you know, the grocery store can't say, hey, guess what, people aren't buying as many big beans, we're gonna pay you less, you know, like it's I'm sorry, you know, they're still making aid amounts of money on our work. And by the way, they are rocketing towards profitability. All these companies. They're adding ads, they're adding free tiers. I mean, you know all if you listen to their earnings calls right where they talk to the stock market, they say, Wow, everything's going so great. We're growing, growing, growing, We've got all these new movies coming out. Oh my god, most profitable ever. Blah blah blah blah blah. Then they sit down with us and they plead poverty. It's ridiculous, you know, it's just propaganda.
Speaker 2: I mean it's always been that though, right, Like, it's always been what it is though. You know, it's hardest. The hardest thing to do in this town is get a movie made. That's the hardest thing to do. Yeah, we'll make it.
Speaker 1: What will happen? So it's been what has it been with the writers? It's been thirteen weeks? Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Uh, let's see something. Yeah, we're in the eighties of days in terms.
Speaker 1: Of well, is that correct? You put that in my notest? Okay, so I think ye, So that's Joelle says, that's I can't do math. But Joelle says, that's thirteen weeks. It goes without saying it helps that one hundred and sixty thousand people just additionally went on strike when the actors joined them. You know, the question on everyone's mind is how long could this possibly play out? These studios are definitely putting out there that they're in no rush to to settle this, that they're going to try and wait it out.
Speaker 2: They know some of them are partying in the Hamptons as we speak.
Speaker 1: I just want to say that, you know the other thing I want to just touch on. I know I'm asking you two questions at once, but I'm excited to have you. I have so many questions. But the you know, it goes without saying. This affects so many people outside of these guilts because the industry is on pause. So whether you're a restaurant in the neighborhood, or you're a dry cleaner that service the industry, or you're any of the crew positions that aren't in these guilds that are that are that are forced to stop your work. People are really going to start or already are starting to struggle, And the question on every one's minds is how long can this go? How long can these studios sort of fold their arms and make people wait to come to the table with a real offer.
Speaker 3: First of all, you know, there's no way for me to predict how long it's going to go. And anyone who tells you they have a prediction is making shit up and they're they're bullshitting you, and you should ignore them. But but how do we think about how long it's going to go? Look, the only way that a labor union ever loses is if their own members say, you know what, this has gone on too long. We want to go back to work and take a bad deal, you know, like we just you know what, let's just let's just go back to work. Everything was fine, no worries, right, just so we'll take an okay deal. I don't think that's gonna happen this year.
Speaker 2: Because I really hope that doesn't happen, because if that doesn't, I don't think what the fuck were we doing?
Speaker 3: I don't think and I don't think it will donald because I think actors and writers know that if we don't have this fight right now, we're not going to have jobs to go back to five years from now. That you know it's gonna our careers will be turned into gigwork. Uh, you know, the companies will have eradicated the writing room. They'll have like you know, they'll be stealing everybody's likenesses with AI And even if you get a job, it won't pay enough to be able to make a living. And we're gonna be doing this nights and weekends in between shifts at Gelson's or you know, at our H and R Block job. Right, that'll be the new reality. That's what Bill, That's what it is in a lot of countries like Korea, that's what the entertainment industry is.
Speaker 1: Sorry, go ahead, And that's what Bill Lawrence had said. Another thing he thought said that I thought was really insightful. He said, you know, this will become a career that is only accessible to people who are wealthy, people who have a spouse who can support them, people who have a family that can support them. And obviously that's gonna skew away from minorities. It's gonna skew away from all sorts of folks who are less likely statistically to have some sort of of generational wealth that enables them to pursue the art form. Uh, whether with making under twenty six thousand dollars a year or it'll be like.
Speaker 2: A freaking high school elective all of a sudden, like, yeah, the fuck, you know what I mean, Like it's not even part of.
Speaker 3: The curriculum anymore.
Speaker 2: It's just a freaking you gotta go freaking sign up for that shit, and if you're lucky, you get picked, you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean. And there's a really good example of that, by the way, it's called reality shows. Right. People who work on reality shows, they pay you nothing to do it. They do it because they're already rich. And then how do they make money. They make money off of doing all the ancillary stuff like selling, you know, brand putting their name on stuff and branding things, et cetera. Right, Right, And I think that we as a culture and we as an industry don't want that to happen to our industry. I don't think we're gonna let it happen. So I think, uh, I think that the workers are incredibly united and we're not gonna leave the picket line. So how does that mean things are going to end? Well, it's gonna end when the companies come back to the table and they make deals with the unions that that the unions can accept. So how long is that gonna happen. It is gonna take for that to happen. I think it's I think we're going to start to see it over the next couple weeks and months. Because when the Writer's Guild went on strike, the Writer's gold Is historically been the only militant union, the only union that went on strike, So they spend all year planning for a Writer's Guild strike in case there is one, we'll just hold them off for three months, right, and they plan to hold us off. Nobody though expected sag After to go on strike because it hasn't happened since the eighties, and the two unions haven't been on strike together since the sixties, so they had no plan. So literally after the strike was called, you know, we're about a week and a half after the strike was called. Now, the CEO spent the first week just shitting themselves, just going, hold on a second, how much money are we losing? What just shut down? What can I do? What thing that I was counting on isn't happening now? Fuck? What do I do? My whole plan fell apart. Then it's gonna take them a week to call each other on the phone, be like Hey, Bob, did you fucking I heard what you said on CNBC. Don't worry about it. I thought you were right. Anyway, we got to go talk to these actors and write, Oh you want to go talk to them? All right, all right, let's make a call, right And that's just gonna take time. It's just logistics, right, uh, And then they have to come back to the table if to negotiate.
Speaker 1: I saw that they're already mumbling about moving some of these giant ten poles, Like you know, there's some big.
Speaker 3: There's a bunch of things have changed.
Speaker 2: My show is listen, man, my show isn't coming on, isn't on the fall lineup anymore because of what's going on right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like, well, they wouldn't want to launch your show without you promoting it. I mean, you understand why.
Speaker 3: That I completely understand.
Speaker 1: And they all these I just went to the movies and saw all these trailers for big ass movies and they're all supposed to be rolling out the rest of this year, and they're not gonna want those big ass movies coming out without the stars on the red carpet and talk shows.
Speaker 3: And then look past that, look at the pipeline, right. The main thing we're affecting is the future pipeline. So if you you're Ted Sarandos, right, you don't get any more Stranger Things until this, until the strike is settled. Like they don't have any in the can. There's no new season to release. Stranger Things is the super Bowl in Netflix, that's when they get all their subscribers every year, right, And so when the writer's strike was happening, he was like, all right, I just wait a couple months. I'll get my new Stranger Things around August. That's when they'll start working on it. Now that the actors are on strike as well. That he has no idea when he's going to get it, right, He it's a question mark on his schedule and he cannot last that long without filling in that question mark because he knows he needs that because he's got those quarterly earnings calls coming up in a couple months.
Speaker 1: And of all those streamers have their Stranger.
Speaker 3: Things exactly right. I mean Apple has Severance that was shut down, you know, every one of them has that right, uh. And not to mention movies. And by the way, half of these companies still have fall broadcast schedules, as you said, Donald right, like you know him not anymore exactly. They're trying they're trying to replace it with reality shows. I mean, some people will watch those. Some of those reality shows are covered by a sag after I think, and therefore still might have to go off the air. Like you know, they're scrambling and they have you know, literally they're talking to like Tide Detergents and Tiede is like, we're pulling our commercial because you guys don't have new Abbt Elementary. They're running reruns of Abbot Elementary in primetime instead of new episodes, the biggest show, you know, one of the biggest shows on broadcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So so these companies, the hurt is starting for them immediately, right, But for us on the picket line, the hurt is real. But it's hurt we've already been experiencing because go talk to any of those actors. They said, i'ven't been able to make a living for three years because you know, I got a job, it didn't pay. I don't get residuals anymore. So they're not thinking, oh god, I'm missing out by so much, but being on strike, we're all out there thinking if we don't do this right now, then we're never going to have careers again. And so we're gonna be out there as long as it takes, and it's just gonna take. How long How long does it take for them to realize that for the CEOs to realize that we support you guys obviously because we are actors. I'm not yeah, show where.
Speaker 1: We supposed to kick at him off? Yeah, we have more I'm not kicking him off.
Speaker 3: We're gonna dude, I'm not kicking him off.
Speaker 1: Well, you said you sounded like you were summing up, and I was like, don't fucking sum up.
Speaker 2: I'm not fucking summing up. He just made a big He just made a big fucking statement.
Speaker 1: Okay, just don't sum up because we have more questions.
Speaker 2: I'm not summing fucking We're just gonna go to break.
Speaker 1: We need to cool off. We're gonna go break. And when we come back from break, not only is Donald not gonna sum up, but we are going to ask Adam about the age.
Speaker 3: You support the writers.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you for everyone's ears.
Speaker 2: I'm an actor too, by the way, but well, I mean I can't look at him look at his face.
Speaker 1: Donald, he's an actor.
Speaker 3: I already told you you don't put you.
Speaker 1: Don't put that face behind a commodore, you know, typewriter. You gotta see that face. We'll be right back, and we don't ask Adam about AI. Donald'll be right back. What you're trying to get into one day or show? What's your trying to news?
Speaker 3: So we want to thank Adam for being on the show.
Speaker 1: Mother, I will fucking kill you. All right, we're back, Adam. I wanted to ask you about the AI component of all this, because we spent the first part talking about residuals. I think our audience probably grasps what the fight is there for the labor unions. Now, the second part of this is this explosion of this AI universe. I went to the Ted Talks this year, and as you can imagine, ninety five percent of what was talked about was AI in every aspect of human life. And I saw many examples of how it's going to affect the entertainment industry. This weekend, Bill Lawrence's teenage son played me an AI song that was He told me that this musician producer had put in three huge artists whose voices can be completely perfectly simulated. He'd put in all this data of ten different songs he liked, and he sung the parts himself, but then the AI took over with the famous voices and he played me this song. It was a really really hooky pop song sung by three stars I wasn't familiar with, but I'm sure young people are. And it was spooky because it was good. And so obviously that's going to affect our entire industry, and that is something that the guilds are trying to get a hold on before it gets out of control. So can you talk can you speak to that a little bit?
Speaker 3: Sure? So, look, I want to be clear about one thing. I'm a bit of a contrarian on AI, and so the first point I want to make is that AI is a marketing term that these companies made up to you know, bundle together a bunch of like largely unrelated technologies and to make them seem like science fiction, make them seem really powerful and scary. Right, They're actually quite limited in what they can do. The problem is the companies that employ us intend to use this limited technology in order to put actors out of work, put writers out of work, and you know, we can't let them do that. So it's less about the technology and more what they're trying to do. So you know, for actors, there's a real threat here of their likenesses being reproduced without their consent. Now, by the way, they had the power to do this like two or three years ago, if you saw the Star Wars previous Star Wars movies, they're already doing this right with with actors. The buzzword AI hadn't come up yet. AI is just the crypto blockchain metaverse of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: You go see them splash, you could see that shit. It's too freaking right exactly.
Speaker 3: It's just a new form of VFX right of CGI. We've had that for a long time, but it is something that has gotten good enough that they can really use it to harm actors. So a real example of this that has actually happened is that sag after voice actors who do audiobook narration. Apple took voice prints of their voices without their consent, without paying them and had them narrating audiobooks that they had never read like that without paying them. And when they discovered this, they were horrified, And that was really the canary in the coal mine for sag After it. Right, And by the way, that's not like a terrible use of the technology if the person is paid, because hey, maybe there's an audiobook that not that many people want to listen to, but you can, you know, if you can do.
Speaker 2: It automatically or shit, maybe you don't want to do all that work, and they're freaking gonna pay you that one time because you got the.
Speaker 3: Fixed and it'll be a worse it'll be a worse audiobook because it won't have Donald's performance giving his you know, wonderful line reading to every single line. But hey, if I just want to you know ingest an audiobook quickly that that wasn't you know, popular enough to be done professionally, then maybe that's not bad, right, But the art has to be done with the compensation and consent of the artist, agree. And uh so that's what sag After is fighting for. Uh you know, one of the one of the company proposals that they literally they proposed in the room was that background actors, the folks who are in the background of scene, which, by the way, you guys work with background actors, they're professionals, right, These are like I I.
Speaker 2: These are the real These are the real people who are trying to make a living as actors in Hollywood. Everyone else, everyone else is everyone else is playing the gamble, is gambling. Background actors are doing a nine to five for real, for real. They're going to work every day trying to get that money because that's what's paying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and not nine to five, but yes, but you know, you know, you know, yeah, that's more like nine to twelve.
Speaker 3: But yeah, right, well it depends, you know. And they bring their own wardrobe, you know. And by the way, they're professionals. They know how to behave on a set, they know how to take instruction from the ad, they know how to hit their marks, you know, like they are professional actors. So the companies proposed that these actors would be paid a day or half a day's wages, have their likenesses scanned into a computer, and then the company would own their likeness and be able to reproduce it in perpetuity without paying them again, long after they're dead. And that is so first of all offensive with the professionalism those actors. It would also end the job of background acting, and it would create worse content because do you really want to see CGI people walking around in the back of every scene because the company felt like save in a couple hundred bucks a person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's interesting, is I noticed this. I watched remember watching a House of Dragons behind the scenes thing. I believe it was for the There was a big joust in the last season and it was incredibly done, and I was curious as of filmmaker how it was achieved. And one of the things I noticed is that they were showing how they built this massive crowd, and they were showing how they would scan the background people sometimes in groups of three cheering, and then they'd scan them in groups of four booing. And then they showed how they multiply multiplied, multiply multiply modes to create a realistic giant crowd, which I thought was interesting, but I never thought that I never looked at it from the point of view, is that House of Dragons show could then keep all of these people in their database and next time they needed a crowd, just reuse all of those faces and likenesses without without paying them.
Speaker 3: Next year they're on uh, next year they're on the Sex in the City reboot, right, and they were like, hold on a second, well only got paid for house dragons.
Speaker 1: They'd be in house of dragon's clothing. But that would be amazing.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I mean we joke around, but that's some fucked up shit. Man, that's livelihoods right there. And I know yeah, and I have a lot of friends that do background. I've started in background. I think most actors started in background. And that shit paid the bills. Man, that shit, really, you know what I mean? That was how that was? That was you want to talk about residuals, you know what really paid the bills?
Speaker 3: First?
Speaker 2: Background work. That's how that's how I got my SAG card. That's how I got so many things, you know what I mean. And now you're going to take the ability to freaking work away from so many people who don't get the opportunity to make it to the level of fucking Will Smith, who don't make it to the level of Tom Crue but still have a dream of being an actor.
Speaker 3: And you want to take that away.
Speaker 1: Now to whatever happened to Will Smith, something changed in his career. Sorry, I don't know too soon.
Speaker 3: Well, now, well, now here's how this applies to you guys. By the way, is that for for working actors such as yourselves. Well, what if they use that same technology, and you know, long after you've shot your scene, they say, actually, I don't like how Donald read that line. Let's have him say something else, you know, Let's have him. Let's have him. Uh, that's bullshit, right.
Speaker 1: To But I don't know if you remember that there was a movie about Adam. I don't even know this if you know this story or any of you guys, but there was a movie about two women stuck on the top of a of a wind turbine or something.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I saw the trailer for this. I forget the name of it, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the premise, right, it's genius. It's just it's a it's a thriller. But the premise is just.
Speaker 3: That these two get up on the wind turbine.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch the movie.
Speaker 3: But they like climbed the ladder and then a ladder fell off and then they're like, oh shit, how do we get down?
Speaker 1: Well, what's the name of that movie? I'm looking at it.
Speaker 2: It's called It's I think the name of the movie is It's all our fault, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So anyway, and it's all our fault. They apparently the two gals they were doing lots of improv because they were playing terrified and as you would you you'd be, You're not going to just stick to the script, you'd be. And apparently they were cursing left and right as they as they riffed, and and when they when the people cut this movie together, it was actually testing really well, and they were very pleased with their product, and they thought it was gonna do. What the problem was, they did not want an r movie, and these two women were cursing left and right, and so they for the first time, I believe they were the first company to do this. They hired a company that could digitally change all of the lips. It's called Fall Thank you Joel, and they every time they cursed, they changed their lips to a non curse yep. And this you can you can YouTube this because I saw a video on it, and the technology was so brilliant and perfect that they went on to say that this will be what they'll be using in the future instead of subtitles, because they'll be able to change every actor's lips and have them speak the native tongue of whatever country the movie is playing. In and Okay, so that's just that's just, you know, the first example incarnation of this. But what Adam's saying is that I, as a filmmaker, can go I don't love Donald's reading of that. Can you AI help me make him do it angrier and a bit and change it so his line is like, not today, motherfucker? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then and then Donald, you're watching that going I would never swear like that, And now my daughters are going to see this and aren't I And don't I look awful?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I don't like the idea of putting stuff into my mouth that I didn't agree to that.
Speaker 1: I know that's the first time you've ever said that, Donald, I.
Speaker 3: Well, because that I've read every time. I've agreed every time, don't I.
Speaker 1: Know, in front of Adam, you don't want to act like you don't like to put things in your mouth. But I'm sorry, Joelle as best behavior in front of you, I'm sorry. You know.
Speaker 3: The reason I think you feel that way is it's not about compensation. It's about your dignity and your professionalism in your work, and of course.
Speaker 1: What you do if the performance, if they change your performance to something. Even when you see when as an actor, when you see some of the way something's cut, you go, oh my god, they cut out the pause without the pause. I suck that that performance is so bad without the actor taking in that pause and receiving that information, that's just that's just editing. Now, imagine you see a performance you're like, I never fucking said that. That's horrible. Yeah, that's so cringe.
Speaker 3: And you know that that removes you as an artist, right, That removes your artists free. It makes you a puppet for them. And I think that's a really fundamental, you know, abridgment of our of our dignity as performers. You know that, Like you hired me because I fucking know what I'm doing and this is how I'm good. You've you've both had those moments on that set where you're like, you know what I'm not doing that. You know, the director says would you do this, and you're like, actually, I'm not going to do it, yeah, because I don't. I don't want to be on camera doing this. I'm not going to give you the take use it, Yep, I'm not going to give it to you. I'm using my judgment as a human on your set who knows best to say as an artist, I'm not doing this, and they want to take away that ability from us, and and that's uh, that's repugnant. Now, as writers, there's a whole other set of issues where you know, the people are worried about them using chat GPT to output scripts. And the point that I like to draw here is that like chat GPT or technologies like it cannot do the work of a writer, because being a writer is a lot more than outputting a script. Being a writer is uh talking to the network and you know, taking their notes, is talking to the director. So if it's his vision, it's talking to the actors to make sure that they like the lines and working on it with them. It's going to set to say, oh, hold on a second, the way Donald said that line, it actually doesn't doesn't mean what we thought it meant when we wrote it. If he uses that inflection, but we like the inflection, let's adjust the line a little bit or whatever it is, right, then it means going to the edit and saying, hold on a second, this it's for five minutes too long. What scene can we cut uh? You know, without uh, without while having it still makes sense. Oh, let's write a little line of ADR for Donald to say, you'll come in and he'll record that, and that'll make everything make sense. That's the work of a writer, right. What we're worried about is the company saying, well, hold on a second, chat GPT wrote a script, would you just, Adam, punch it up, talk to the director, talk to the actor, go to set, go to post, and do all that work. Oh you're not the writer, though, You're just a producer who's being paid less than you ever were. And I'm looking at that going, no, I'm I'm the writer, right. You just output me some garbage and I made it good. But you're but you're using this shitty technology as an excuse to undermine my work. And that's what we're not going to allow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just because you're a ghostwriter don't mean you didn't write that shit. That's probely Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Let's take a break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after these fine words you now, Adam. The most urgent concern to my limited brain is that writers will be forced to begin using a smaller room of people and saying have chat GBT bang out an outline because whether it's bad or not. I mean, we fucked with it on this podcast just as to be funny, saying having it write scrub scenes. Now they're not good, but it's year one of this. And also they do at least follow what we told them. They do bang out a very bad version of a scene with the instructions. So to me, the beginning of the concern, especially as this thing is growing and growing and growing in who knows what it will be in two three years, that it will be able to spit out a bad but confident version of the scene you told it to write that they can then be punched up so the mandate will be Adam, you don't need a writer's room of twelve people, need a writer's room of three people.
Speaker 2: I feel like before we before there's a sidebar to this too. I think there's it's very dangerous because kids are kids are using this ship also for their lessons in school.
Speaker 3: For like, it's a cheat, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's a it's it's a big time cheat. And within cheating comes I mean, will become a soulless, fucking population.
Speaker 1: If we can that's a big sidebar. Let him answer my question first, before we get to Soula's population.
Speaker 3: I love this double I have a minor sidebar.
Speaker 1: Do you think we're going to become a soulless population? Uh?
Speaker 3: Donald the answers yes. But to zax question, so, look, my my opinion is that, well, first of all, they're already doing that. They're already shrinking the writer's room. In fact, one of the main Writers Guild's proposals is just to preserve the writer's room, says say, there must be one, because the companies have gone from you know, having a writer's room of you know, eight to twelve people, as you say, to saying, well now do it with three, Now do it with two now. And what they're literally now paying showrunners to do, they're offering them bonuses to not have a writer's room at all and just write the whole season themselves. Maybe they farm out one or two scripts freelance, which you for which you're paid a small percentage of what you're made for being on staff. And if we allow that to happen in a couple of years, that's gonna be all TV writing. If you sell a show, they're gonna be like, all right, Zach, right, the whole thing yourself. You have fifteen grand you can use to you know, farm out freelance scripts if you want. That's already their plan, and it's because our contract allows that to happen. And it's just the norms of how TV has been produced for the past fifty years that have protected us. But the companies have shown they want to break those norms, and so now we need to get the existence of the writer's room put into our contract. But the issue that you raised though, of chat GPT being used as an excuse to that even further, I think is a real one. I just want to really highlight I think it's a lie because I don't think that it is possible for one of these large language models to output anything that helps, like save any labor as a writer, you know, because the I think any writer knows the first draft is always fucking garbage. That's not the hard part. The hard part is every other piece of it. If I'm taking a if it's my choice as a writer to start with some chat GPT output and punch it up myself, sure I can take that choice. I don't think I'm saving myself any fucking time by doing that, because the hard part is the originality that I add, you know, Like, look, I'll just talk about it as a comedy writer. Okay, As a comedy writer, you have to write so many jokes, right, joke after joke after joke, and every joke you write has to be on some level a new joke. If you're telling a joke people have heard before, they don't laugh, right, People want a new joke every time. How do you write a new joke. You think about the specifics of the situation. You think about who your audience is. You think, you figure out here's what they think of the situation, Here's what will strike them as fun. Okay, if I'm writing late Night, Ted Cruz did something in the news, Okay, what did he do? What does the audience think of Ted Cruz? What does this remind them of in their own lives? That's going to be a surprising thing. I can compare it to right the way Trevor Noah's jokes would always be like this is like when your mom would be blah blah blah blah blah, and you'd, like, you know, do some dating reference or something like that. Right, that is a magic trick every time. It is one of the most complex cultural things to have to do is to figure out how to write a new joke that'll make people laugh. And Chad GPT will never be able to do it. So it'll always be an immense amount of work on a human writer to write a joke that is going to bring delight to people in the way that we do.
Speaker 1: I hear you, man, I just hope that you know. I just think of year one of the cell phone compared to what we now have in our pockets, and I think of what Chad GBT could become in five ten years.
Speaker 2: Think of what AI can become in five ten, fifteen years if weaponize. I mean, this is like it's already being weaponized against actors and writers.
Speaker 1: And Daniel's laughing because you just steered it to military reach.
Speaker 3: It absolutely is. But here's just what I'd like. Here's the point I'd like to make, is that the iPhone was built on pre existing technology. Right. It was not like some new It wasn't like they invented the wheel or they invented cold fusion or something. Right. It was a business decision to put these things together this way. And so what we should be afraid of is not artificial intelligence technology run amuck. It's the business practices of these companies using the technology to hurt us and hurt other people. It's not if you accept too much this technological argument, you can be tricked into thinking, oh, we should just accept whatever they say because the technology is coming now. People are choosing to make these decisions, and we can force them to choose otherwise by using our collective power.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, that's the power of the union. That's the whole point of being in this union that we pay lots of money and doing.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you're trying to wrap up. Zech I'm just gonna put it out there. Sounds I could try to wrap up.
Speaker 1: Well, we do have to let Adam go.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not wrapping up. I'm segueing into the point where my tone suggests that we don't want to take up too much of Adam's time.
Speaker 3: I mean, that sounds a bit like a wrap up, but no, my tone.
Speaker 1: My tone is we can continue talking, but Adam probably has lots of important things to do. That's my tone. Wait, I want to ask Joel. Joel gave us some good questions, and I want to make sure, I hit some of them, Please do what's surprising? What has surprised you most during this experience. You've been on strike now for thirteen weeks. What is there things that have happened that have made you go I was not expecting that.
Speaker 3: I mean, sag after joining the strike was not something that in my wildest dreams I would have I would have thought was happening as a sag after. Remember, if you had asked me, you know, six months ago, I'd say, no way, is it ever going to happen. And the leadership of our union really stepped up in order to call the strike to show our power. It was amazing to see to see Fran and Duncan and all that go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, if you would have asked the night before if SAD going to strike, everybody would be like no, yeah. And then that paper came through.
Speaker 3: Oh my yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised that the Director's Guilds of America, which I'm a part of as well, didn't strike.
Speaker 3: I was not surprised that by that, because that's their strategy. That is the strategy that they've historically used as a union. And I, you know, as a guy who thinks a lot about labor. It's it's not the strategy that I think gets the biggest gains for members. I think you get the biggest gains when you are willing to take a strike vote and you know, threaten to go on strike if necessary, and then be willing to pull the trigger if it comes to that. But you know that's uh that union operates a different way. The Teamsters didn't strike, right, They didn't strike. The Teamsters just announced a tentative deal with UPS today, if that might be what you're talking about. They were about, I mean, three hundred and fifty thousand Teamsters were about to go on strike against U P. Yes, and they just announced today that they got the biggest deal in their history. And the reason they got such a big deal is because they brought a credible threat of going on strike. They say, either you give us what we want or we're fucking striking, and UPS blinked and gave it to them. And that's what the writer's gill does in a good year, right, And that's what I'm really happy that sag After brought that same energy and said we're going to strike, and the you know, try us, and the companies tried them and that's what happened. I mean, every day in the strike, there's been new surprises, new pieces of support, people support coming in from all angles. The public support has been enormous, The support and the press has been enormous, like we're we're gonna win, We're we're unstoppable because everything has been trending in our favor every day, and that's not something I expected when we started.
Speaker 1: All Right, here's another good Joell question. How can people outside of Los Angeles? I think she means also outside of the entertainment industry, because you know, we have people in Atlanta and New York everywhere. Joell, come on, how can people outside of the entertainment industry show their support for both unions?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a great question, and actually, Zach's it gives me an opportunity to answer a question you asked earlier in terms of support for other crew members, because there's a lot of folks who are affected by the strike who are not actors and not writers. Right, there's crew members, there's pas, and there's you know, folks who cater you know, film shoots and et cetera. They're all suffering because of the strike, and so we raise money for a fund called the Entertainment Community Fund. It's a wonderful fund that's existed in LA in New York for one hundred and forty years. Anybody in the country who works in the entertainment industry who is on hard times having trouble paying rant to their medical bills can apply to it for cash assistance, and we are raising money for that fund. We've raised over three million dollars so far. But if you would like to contribute, your money will go directly to an affected entertainment industry worker.
Speaker 1: I believe the link is Entertainmentcommunity dot org.
Speaker 3: Correct. Isn't there a screen actors?
Speaker 2: Gil found the Yes, I played golf for it every year and it's it's the same same type of situation, is it Yep?
Speaker 3: Yep. The bag After Foundation, the sag After Foundation you can donate to as well. It's a very similar fund and that money will go to Google go to support actors specifically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the Rock I heard just gave a bunch of money to one of those funds.
Speaker 4: No or something, Yeah, seven figures we're hearing.
Speaker 3: We don't have an exact.
Speaker 1: I was generous of him. Donald, don't try and get that money to fix up your patio because I know you're working on your patty.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to get that rock money, motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Listen man, listen man, don't wrap up all right, Listen now, Daniel wants just to clarify, because Daniel's very wise that a deal has been reached for UPS but still needs to be approved by the majority of the union.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so for the chancers, yeah mind, but still that's still progress.
Speaker 7: It's definitely, it's definitely progressed. But you know, my understanding is that a lot of the team sers were holding out for a hard line of twenty five dollars an hour, and this current deal is twenty one dollars an hour, going up to twenty three eventually. So there's a good chance that a lot of the hardliners might be like no five or nothing. So we'll see, we'll see that.
Speaker 3: And that, by the way, is part of what's so powerful about a union, because unions are democracies, right, So when the leader leadership of a union goes and makes a deal, the membership then gets to vote on it, and if the membership doesn't like the deal, they will vote no and you know, reject the deal. Then the leadership has to go back to the table. And so that's why, you know, our leadership of our two unions can't just go and cut our legs out from under us like it. You know, it depends on what the workers actually need. It's one of the things that makes unions so powerful. Let's take a break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after these fine words. Are you in the quote unquote room where it happens for the WGA when this? Yeah, and how many of you are in are in the room? Roughly?
Speaker 3: I believe we've got seventeen or eighteen negotiating committee members from the Writers Guild West and East, and there's also our staff members as well, of which.
Speaker 1: And then how many do they have? How many of the am TPS.
Speaker 3: AMPTP they have? Uh, there's about a half dozen lawyers just from the AMPTP and then lawyers also from you know, Netflix, Disney, Amazon, Right, so it's a big room room together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he do people ever stand up? You can't handle the truth.
Speaker 3: So look, the actual negotiating room is very formal. Right. We go in and wee present our proposals, our proposal one is this a proposal? Two is that? And then they say thank you, and then we leave the room, and then we go back in later and they respond to the proposals. Our response to proposal one is rejected. Our responsive proposal two is rejected, you know, and very mutic.
Speaker 1: For a bunch of for a bunch of dramatic people, that's not very dramatic.
Speaker 3: About it's lawyers.
Speaker 1: I bet you in the sag. How about I bet you in the sague. Then Nanny's like, fuck you motherfuckers.
Speaker 3: I think there was a little bit more of that. Yeah, I think there was all that.
Speaker 1: One doesn't around, you know, friends on a desk, beyond people.
Speaker 3: But you know what, what happens in that room is kind of secondary because those people in that negotiating room are the no machine. The only reason they're in there. Their job is to say no over and over and over again, and they're hired by the CEOs who are not in the room. Our job is to put pressure on the CEOs, and we do that by being on the picket line. Right. But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Is there ever a chance that you know you're going to see any of the CEOs or anything like that?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, that's the point.
Speaker 2: That's the point is when when do you start running up on people, like when does that happen?
Speaker 3: When does on site become a situation? And I think it starts happening very soon, right, because the whole point is, I don't want to get too deep into the labor weeds for your audience. But the AMPTP is an outsourcing organization, right, Ted Sarandos, Babeiger, all of them. They hire this company called the AMPTP to do their labor negotiations for them and to say no for them, so they don't ever have to think about it. They just get to load around in their yachts, be on the top story of their buildings, right while someone else handles it. And our entire goal is to get them off the bench, is to make them get involved by pressing the issue until it's literally such a fucking problem for Ted Sorrandos he has to call Bob Iger then go what are we going to do? And then they have to call us, right, And that's what is about to happen, because again, this strike currently is unprecedented. Uh, the AMPTP failed in its in its you know, mission to stop a dual strike, and they've lost all credibility. And now those CEOs have to get involved. So so this is literally going to end when you know, in a conversation with that Ted Sorrandos and Iiger and and you know, Sherry Redstone and all of them are involved in.
Speaker 1: Don't isn't there an algorithm of sorts where there's CFOs and money people are going listen or we can afford and prepare to recoup in these creative ways this amount of money. But once it goes beyond that, we're in. You know, our doc is going to be effected. I mean, aren't they running all those kind of numbers and going, all right, we can let them suffer till November? You know, I mean, I'm just pulling that out of my ass.
Speaker 3: But oh, they look they cannot let this go on all right, like like they did have that plan with the Writer's Guild. They're playing with the reskuils always let's hold them off three months before we even talk to them, sag after again, striking is not something they predicted. And I don't believe they have the ability to weather it at all. Now. They always they all will always will do those projections, you know, and and those are projections that are designed to tell you no right, what we can't afford it for X, Y and Z reason. But all that matters is what are we willing to work with and without? Right? All all that matters is, UH, what are writers and actors willing to countenance? You know what?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Are we willing to work for less than this? Uh? And if the answer is no, then you know we're going to get what we want because you know, all that matters at the end of the day is us using power and saying, look, if you don't give us what we want, we're not fucking going back to work. Right, Unless these companies want to stop making American film and television entirely, they're gonna have to bargain with us and make a deal that we can accept. And that's going to be the endgame. No matter what, it's going to happen sooner rather than later. But you know that's that That is.
Speaker 1: The last thing I want, Adam, Thank you so much. The last one to ask you was I'm hearing that certain indie movies are being getting a waiver because they are independent of all of these conglomerates and they are somehow giving SAG what they're asking for in the contract. Can you explain that how how indies are getting waivers? Do you understand?
Speaker 3: Sure? So I only know about this what I've read in the trades because I'm not part of this decision making process and SAG, but I can explain it a little bit that for companies that they feel are not affiliated with the AMPTP, they are signing them to an interim agreement which says we will will agree to whatever your final agreement is with the AMPTP, and they're continuing to work. SAG after his view seems to be that this will put more pressure on the majors because these other you know, independent companies, so you know, so called independent companies are making you know, films outside of the system, and it's going to encourage you know, the big the big players like Universal and Pairamount to come back to the table sooner. Personally, very personally, I don't think that strategy is going to work that well because unfortunately, a lot of those movies are still going to end up on Netflix and Apple TV and all these other services. They're still part of the pipeline that the AMPTP companies are making, uh, you know, making money off of. So I don't think it's a great strategy. By the way, this is something the Writers Guild tried in two thousand and seven and eight, and the reason we're not doing it this year is because it didn't We feel it didn't work during the two thousand and seven and eight strike. Yeah, and so you know, that's that's a disagreement I have. However, I think that it's ultimately not gonna matter that much because we're talking about, you know, thirty projects or so, when the reality is, you know, tens of thousands of product projects are stopped down right now. So there's also a couple of them that are happening. There was one for Apple TV called Tehran, which my understanding is like the real problem there was that it was in a country where the strike couldn't have been enforced because it was shooting overseas, and so there was.
Speaker 1: There's there's some shows like House of Dragon. I don't know why I keep bringing that show up today, but I am that is not sad. It's a fully English union. Uh So they're continuing, and I think I know that it doesn't I know this strike doesn't affect commercials, and I think animation as well. I think those are separate contracts. If I'm not.
Speaker 4: Luckily, the animators are getting together to start their own union, which is really exciting.
Speaker 2: Well, it's about time. I'm gonna be honest with you. That's something that animators don't have. And animators are shitt ton for their work. And some of these guys do hours that you and me and girls. Yeah, that's you know what I meant. Some of these people, let me put it that way.
Speaker 3: And non binary. There's a lot of non binary animators. I have met many.
Speaker 2: Okay, look, some of these human beings, Okay, we can all agree there some thank you. Some of these human beings are working their asses off for hours and hours and hours and getting paid very very little. You want to talk about, no, do try making a living as an animator, dude, It's almost impossible.
Speaker 1: And about these VLX companies that always seem to go out of business after a giant movie comes out because they just can't pay their bills.
Speaker 3: And let me correct you a little bit, Joelle, they actually do have a union. There isn't a union called the Animation Guild, but historically it has been a union that unfortunately has not been a real fighting union. And what the people in the animation Guild are doing now is they are fighting their asses off. They are saying, well, we want some of this fight for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you read some of the stories on how these people are treated at some of these animation houses, man, you can find them one line if anybody's interested, Like, because I'm so into animation, you just just just the disrespect that these people, that a lot of these people receive for their for their hard earned work is just as is just as uh deplorable as what we're seeing going on.
Speaker 3: With SAG and uh yeah and the Writers Guild.
Speaker 1: When I've been up animation, I meant the SAG contract with animated things, I believe is a different contract.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about the actual animators and creators and point.
Speaker 3: And to say they're clarifyed.
Speaker 4: Cartoon Network and Warner Brothers animators specifically have gone to the National Labor Relations Board and asked to form a union. So they're in the process of trying to move away from the established union and create one like in House Network and Warner Brothers got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there's a lot of activism happening in animation that I like, I'm not even all up to speed. Yet. I mean, there's one of the really cool things about this strike is that we are showing that we have power and that we are gonna use that power to get what we need. And us as writers and actors, we're lucky because our unions have been around and powerful for ninety almost one hundred years. But what's happening now is folks from all other parts of the entertainment industry and other industries around the country are watching what we're doing and saying, oh, this is something we can do too if we step up. So I've literally talked to choreographers, music supervisors, post production workers. These are folks in our industry who don't have unions, and they are forming unions and take it, which is much harder. That's the hardest thing to do is start a union from scratch. But they're doing it because they're seeing, Oh my god, look at what you can do if you have a union. And so that's one of my favorite things about what we're doing right now.
Speaker 1: Adam, thank you so much for coming on. Sounds like I am going to wrap up. We can stay on for a second in chat, but Adam, thank you so much. And I'm not allowed to promote it. But I am intrigued by how articulate you are. And I am going to watch your show and go back and go do a deep dive on all your work.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. And just if I can do a little plug, I am a touring stand up comedian. Would is one of the few kinds of work I can do during the strike. Yeah, if you live where are you gonna be? Do you live in Buffalo, Saint Louis, Providence, Rhode Island, come see me Adam connover dot net for tickets and tour dates.
Speaker 1: I go see Adam guys because he's uh, he's clever, he's smart. Way do you get your eyes on him? And he's a looker.
Speaker 3: He is a looker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Adam, thank you, thank you so much. But we really appreciate this.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, pleasure being here, thank.
Speaker 1: Me, thank you, Thanks Adam, Joel, great job of producing, Joel getting Adam as a guest, thank you.
Speaker 3: I was very excited.
Speaker 1: He really came through.
Speaker 3: Fabulous.
Speaker 1: We needed it, we needed yeah, Donald's right, it was perfect. We needed someone who knew their ship like that, and you came through.
Speaker 2: We also needed it because I know our listeners out there are like, well, what the fuck is going on with fake doctors right now?
Speaker 1: What are they doing right right? So we are going to not talk about scrubs for a while until the strike is over, but we're gonna talk about other interesting things.
Speaker 3: Donald got a great guest lined up for next We have.
Speaker 1: A really good guest for next week.
Speaker 3: Did you did Let's just say Tom Cruise.
Speaker 1: It's not Tom Cruise, but we could. We could build to that. Listen, we are going to build an empire, Donald, and we're going to start.
Speaker 3: Can I be the Emperor?
Speaker 1: Yes, you can be.
Speaker 3: I'm willing to be the Lord Vader.
Speaker 1: I don't Oh, I see it all goes back to Star Wars because you can be. You can be the Emperor. Is the Emperor higher.
Speaker 3: Than Lord Vader? Yes? Than everyone?
Speaker 1: Emperor is the highest. What's that guy who's not the Emperor? But he he was in the last big Star Wars movie and he was like a hologram and he feels like the Emperor.
Speaker 3: Snoke Snoop snook. No, you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Snooky Snoky Snokey. She was he was on Jersey Shore to Snokey was snow higher than the Emperor.
Speaker 3: No, No was created by the improve.
Speaker 1: Oh, I want to be Snoke. You can be the Okay I created Snoke is snow higher than Vader.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: By the time Snoke comes out.
Speaker 1: I need a family tree, Joelle.
Speaker 2: Can you you know you need to be You could be you could be freaking tarkt Grandma Tarkan.
Speaker 1: That don't give me a really Donald and Casey gave me a really nice belated birthday present.
Speaker 5: What you get?
Speaker 1: Well, they know that I really love land Rover Defenders. I'm a big fan of them, especially the old D nineties, and they got me a D land Rover Defender D ninety Lego set. Guess what I'm going to be doing whilst I strike?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, hell yeah, I love some Legos.
Speaker 1: Listen, Donald, I love you, I love you. You know what I've been watching? I listen. I never get into these reality shows. Okay, ever, my whole life, I never watched reality shows. But someone gave me a taste of the crack, and now I can't. I can't stop watching No Below Deck Mediterrane. Well, he's on that people. Donald, they fight, they all hook up, some of them have yachts.
Speaker 2: I'm still watching dance moms. I didn't realize that that they were that many seasons.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm looking at below Deck. I'm looking at below Deck, which is my crack problem, my strike crack problem. And there's so many seasons, and I'm like, I gotta get off of this. But look how many seasons there are?
Speaker 2: These shows? Are they We're allowed to watch this, aren't we.
Speaker 1: These people are not sacked, but some of them do have. These people do have yachts, some of them.
Speaker 4: The bowl is not to promote anything a studio is currently promoting.
Speaker 1: We're okay with Below Deck, Joel.
Speaker 3: We're not okay with dance Moms. I'll talk to you, guys. It's your idea.
Speaker 1: I will take that.
Speaker 3: I'm not fucking around friend Dresser.
Speaker 1: If fran Dresser calls me about talking about below Deck, med, it's my fault.
Speaker 3: All right, okay, all right, guys.
Speaker 1: We love you, We love you listeners. Thank you for tuning in. We hope you were educational. That's where we're trying to be.
Speaker 6: And five six, seven, eight stories I'm not sure. We made about a bunch of talks and nurses and.
Speaker 4: I said, here's.
Speaker 6: A story natural, so YadA around you here yeada around here.
Speaker 5: Spell me, no M