Speaker 1: Ridiculous Histories, a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome to the show, Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Let's hear it for the Man, the myth, the legend, our super producer Max, the soprano Williams. You like that one?
Speaker 2: You like that one. It's like a soprano saxophone, like high and loud and annoying.
Speaker 1: Oh that's how we're starting today.
Speaker 2: Folks.
Speaker 1: They call me Ben my pal nol is on some adventures. We'll be returning soon and in the meantime, we are thrilled to welcome a returning special guest, a longtime partner and podcast Crime with Me, Lauren Vogelbaum. Lauren, thanks for coming back on the show.
Speaker 3: Hello, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, the last time you were on Ridiculous History, you and our dear friend June explored how houses can legally be haunted.
Speaker 3: Yes, physically there's a question, but legally they can absolutely be haunted, which is nuts.
Speaker 1: I totally took that research and brought it to our friends at the Daily Zeitgeist. Oh and they were like, hey, what's some interesting about your search history? So thank you for letting me crib that anytime. Yes, So I was thinking before we get into today's show, we were talking about this off air. I realized that I have lost track of just how many projects you and I have worked together on over the years.
Speaker 3: I that is a very good question, because we've been working together for Nilla Loon in our twelve or thirteen years. I.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, I guess that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think the first stuff that we worked on together was the brain Stuff video series when we did.
Speaker 1: That, right, wow. And you I can name several of the many things that you have done. You are the head writer and host of brain Stuff, which continues in podcasts form today. Yes, and you are creator and co host of Saver, which is one of my favorite food podcasts.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, thank you. Yeah. Yeah, that one's a conversational food show that that I do along with Annie Reese. And yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we get to go to wacky places and talk to wacky people, but mostly it's just like what is up with artichokes?
Speaker 2: So I want to jump in here, Lauren. I do actually miss cutting y'all's ads behind the scenes. For about a year. When I first started at iHeart, I cut Annie and Lauren's ad reads and it was a real joy. Producer Andrew Howard always asked me, He's like, you know, you don't have to do this. I'm like, you know, it actually kind of brains my day. Like, you know, the week they were really busy. I didn't enjoy it as much, but like you know, you kind of bummed down. Let's see what type of high jinks any Lauren are getting.
Speaker 1: Into over here and what kind of curse words.
Speaker 2: Lots of curts Worth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I buttoned it up on air most of the time. But but I'd say that other than maybe Holly Fry, I am one of the customist people here at iHeart.
Speaker 2: And actually, just to get back on again, you said Halley from Everything About You two were like the first two people I worked at at this job. I cut all the generic ads for the company along with the ones for stuff you missed an insta class with Holly Fry.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're going back old days like three years ago. Oh yeah, as long as you guys, Bud.
Speaker 3: No, Hey, you've got your stretch and the last three years have been a very long three years, to be fair.
Speaker 1: That's true. That is true. You feel like they feel like they were longer than they were supposed to be, and we are also currently can't say too much about it yet, folks. Currently, Lauren, you and I are working on Thirteen Days of Halloween. We've also done you do a lot of voice work. We've also both played roles, I think recently on a show called Remus the Bootleg King.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you were. You were the titular Remus, Yes, the bootleg Ging.
Speaker 1: I have yet again been asked to play an unhinged lunatic. Thank you, Max, Thank you for that understanding not.
Speaker 5: Getting asked to play play all right, Yeah, just wait for my book that's coming out in about like three four years working for Ben Bolan, The Unhinged Lunatic with Oh Hey, there you go Forward by Paul Decant.
Speaker 3: Oh no, yeah, I got to I got to play Remus's wife and that one. And it's certainly the most times I've ever said daddy in my life. So that's absolutely fine and not weird at all. Now, I'm glad that we recorded that separately. I'm not sure if I could have done it in the same room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was thinking that I was thinking of the same thing. Honestly, when I learned about that and we speaking to fantastic segue. Yes, we're here to talk about something that I think. It's a story not a lot of people know, and I was. I was kind of surprised when our good pal Tyler Klang brought this up.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, this this is a story that I've talked about on a show that sadly just ended called American Shadows.
Speaker 1: Oh you talked about this?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The structure of that show is, you know, like a three act structure, and so we had had a beginning and an epilogue and then a longer part in the middle, and this was one of our beginning parts.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, We are talking about one of my favorite instruments, and hopefully I'm not alone in this, the saxophone, right are you? Are you? What's your saxophone stays?
Speaker 3: I'd say that I'm a middling I mean, I like a saxophone. I do not dislike a saxophone. I can't I can't proclaim myself a top tier fan of the saxophone, right right.
Speaker 2: I feel you.
Speaker 1: I think that's got some nostalgia for a lot of people that generation, because you grew up with uh with saxophones and sitcoms. Oh yeah, I mean, and so many eighties and nineties things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you had the good like yacht rock phase. Yeah yeah, I mean, but I but I love a smooth jazz, so absolutely I do.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 1: I like waiting room jazz, you know what I mean? Yeah, I like I like to sit in the waving room and look around and like, hey, I wonder what's wrong with that one? Uh kidding? I kid, But it turns out as as you know from American chantos, the story of the saxophone is a story of near misses. We are so close to living in a world where the saxophone is not a thing.
Speaker 3: Right there, Yeah, like so close to zero saxophones.
Speaker 1: I mean. The guy who and I say this with diplomacy and sincerity, the guy who invented the saxophone was absolute klutz.
Speaker 3: Yep yep, yep. Yeah. The episode he appeared in was.
Speaker 1: Called Lucky Nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, he almost died a bunch of times, all the time, constantly, like his mother joked about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and how much of that was a joke? Right?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Probably not right?
Speaker 1: So we called this guy or his friends and his family called him Adolph Adulte already zacks, Yeah, adulphe Sachs. He was born in Antoine Joseph Sachs November sixth, eighteen fourteen, in a city that is now part of modern day Belgium. It's called the not And you know, he had a big family, but he did not have a poor family.
Speaker 3: Right because his dad was a fairly famous woodworker of instruments.
Speaker 1: M hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was good at it too. He was gifted such that William the First of Orange, who was the ruly monarch at the time, commissioned Sachs to create instruments for the Belgian military. So he got a government contract. Yeah yeah, you know, Max and you and I don't make musical instruments, but that sounds like it's a pretty sweet gig.
Speaker 3: I mean, especially at the time, you know, like you didn't really have a giant corporation that could be in charge of you, so it was pretty much just the government or just a random rich person being like, oh sure, please art for me. That would be terrific.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, that's a really good point. So so as a result of this, our boy, Adolfe Sachs, he grows up in a very musical environment, he thrives in this he thrives.
Speaker 2: In this world.
Speaker 1: And a lot of what we know about this time comes from Joe Santi at the Museum of Musical Instruments in Brussels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it turns out, for a number of reasons, there's not actually that much history written at like like during his lifetime. We're going to get more into that later. But but yes, from what we do know, he was born into a family of eleven children, although only four of them survived to adulthood.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and given the time, we might assume with some reason that a lot of that would be due to child mortality. But those the other kids died between the ages of twenty and twenty five, so they made it into adulthood. What we're saying is it wasn't all you know, trumpets and angel farts for this guy. He did have saxophones angel farts or saxophones and angel farts. Yes, he was very clever, He was very talented kid. He was making clarinet. Oh, his dad let him use the workshop.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, whenever we wanted ye come through. Yeah yeah, And apparently he was a total prodigy at it.
Speaker 1: Right, like making clarinets when he was fourteen or fifteen, and he didn't just replicate the design of the clarinet. He improved it by changing the locations of the holes through which the wind goes.
Speaker 2: I am not a.
Speaker 1: Clarinet s wind wind scientist. I'm not a wind doctor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Sex was a wind doctor. But but that wasn't the only medium that he worked in. He also apparently made some ivory flutes, which I am also not a wind doctor. But but other people thought that that was impossible at the time, So I guess that's pretty okay for you know, an actual teenager.
Speaker 2: I know there's a lot of stuff about the changing of you know, the process of making flutes, because we got into this when we did Library of Congress to talk about the glass flutes. Be I think Noel talked about this because this is way more in Nol's spectrum. Yeah, the guy who knows about the stuff is the one we don't have here right now. Perfect But like they were, they were really experimenting, trying out and they didn't settle with ivory because that's kind of inhumane at this point. Make sure stuff out ivory. But like I feel like that was the material that had like the best sounding of them at that point, because I'm I don't know, I'm out of my oleman too, but I remember us talking about that.
Speaker 1: Something, right, right, Like the glass the glass flute, which Lizzo famously played recently, is a is a marvel. And the ivory itself. First, ivory is expensive, that's a flex. They weren't so very worried about animal rights in the eighteen hundreds. Yep, this this impressed people, but unfortunately, given Sax's young age, this also garnered him a couple of what we would describe as haters in the modern day. Yeah, the couple, Yeah, who is this kid?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right? And so he gets a reputation over time for making not just clarinets but also flutes and trumpets that are better than the than those of the established instrument makers of the day. When he's twenty years old, again, just twenty, he makes a brand new clarinet that has twenty four keys. Then he makes a bass clarinet, and people are starting to say, wow, these other non Sax clarinets, those are barbarian instruments, which is just weirdly aggressive.
Speaker 3: Did they literally call them barbarian instruments? Is that a quote?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That's a quote that comes from that actually I think comes from the website of his hometown.
Speaker 3: Huh. Yeah, I did not know that clarinet players were that agro, but I guess I appreciate it. Yeah, apparently people were like jealous and mad about it, like not just mad, mad with a hy mad about it. I guess the soloist at the Great Royal Harmony in Brussels refused to use this thing, even though it was ostensibly better, because it had come from And again I quote that weedy little pupil sax.
Speaker 1: You can call people weedy. That just seems like a strange, strange thing, strange insult.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess you know it. It makes sense. It's kind of like kind of like noodley but but but wheat.
Speaker 2: But it worked out though. We little poopa whatever that word is.
Speaker 1: Because there's a big poopa. Why don't we talk about the little poopa?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little poopa?
Speaker 3: Also weedy sort of sounds like a sound the saxophone mix Max, can we get a saxophone sound?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that Clarence.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, it's amazing. Now now I think weedy is cool.
Speaker 3: We're bringing back weedy.
Speaker 2: This is some extra weedy music.
Speaker 1: So okay, So so there's this insult, right, the clarinet soloist at the Great Royal Harmony in Brussels says, I'm not you're weedy, bro, I'm not using your clarinet, and then Sachs, who is also a multi instrumentalist, says, okay, play your clarinet then, and I shall play mine. And they did it in front of like four thousand people.
Speaker 3: And he became a soloist and people started writing works for him, and after he left they just put them down because they were too difficult for anyone else to play.
Speaker 1: And now let's fast forward. It's eighteen forty, he is twenty six years old. He presents nine of his new works, his new kind of instruments that he's been working on, to the Belgian exhibition, and the judges don't give him first prize, not because he's bad.
Speaker 3: Not because the instruments were of lower quality, but because he was so young that they were like, this isn't fair to people who have been working in the industry longer.
Speaker 1: Right, which is a lot like someone saying there's someone else in line for the Olympic medal, right, right, right, it did run faster.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, they did give him a medal, but not the gold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was a total jerk about it too. Oh yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Apparently he said, if they think me too young to deserve the gold medal, I myself think me too old to accept this.
Speaker 1: For Meal one, I didn't know what for Meal was, Oh it's like gold plated.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, it's like it's like it's like chinzy, It's like it's like, oh, it's not not really gold.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay. So he was insulted that they offered him Oh yes, okay, and he dissed the institution pretty hard because he didn't want to accept these strictures, these traditions, these legacies, the current musical regime. And if you look at his childho, it's no wonder that he gave no f's and took no s you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, he had already lived.
Speaker 1: Through a lot. That's why I think drew all three of us to this story, because while other children were having normal childhoods, you know, for the eighteen hundreds, for the eight sure, for the eighteen hundred, the occasional plague, probably a lot of dysentery, Sachs was always almost dying. He had all these bizarre brushes with death that were right out of the Final Destination film franchise.
Speaker 3: And Okay, as we said before, there aren't a whole lot of primary resources that are that are really strenuously in a research way backing this information up. But from what we can confirm from the best of our interneting, right and that nice museum. M Yeah, he almost died constantly so many times.
Speaker 1: Right it Uh, it's that's because he was notorious for being klutz and to your point on American Shadows, either very lucky or very unlucky on how you look at it. Yeah, so, uh, all the way back, and this is something you guys talked about on this show, all the way back to when he was so young that he could barely walk. He fell like the equivalent of three stories. I heard sometimes that he fell from a tree, and then sometimes I heard he fell downstairs.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that we reported the fell down three flights of stairs one in American Shadows. But either way, it's a lot of height from which to fall, and all stories agree that he really clogged his head.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And so everybody immediately assumes this kid is dead. Oh sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the report of how injured he was ranged from like he was he was bedridden for like a week to like he was straight in a coma, and.
Speaker 1: They said, well, I guess we should have ten other children just to hedge our bets.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: This that all happened before he was what three years old, So that's his first brush with death.
Speaker 3: Uh huh uh huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Not long after that, he wound up. So he took a drink out of, you know, whatever the glass wearer of the day was, and he thought it was milk. It was not milk. It was vitriolized water aka sulfuric acid with water.
Speaker 1: Oh right, yeah, he was. He was wrong about that one.
Speaker 3: He was wrong about the milk, but it somehow didn't murder him.
Speaker 1: So naturally, of course, not long after that, he swallows a needle, like a big old needle, yes, yeah, like an eighteen hundreds needle. Yeah, like a before safety standards needle, and he survives. I think that one is also impressive given the state of medicine and hygiene at the time, right, Yeah, the needle would not have been sterilized.
Speaker 3: Oh, certainly not. I think I think it. I think it passed through his system from from what I understand, and it did not pierce his intestines and you know did as nature intents with things other than needles passed right out.
Speaker 1: That's so crazy. Yeah, and for those of us playing along at home, that's already three close brushes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and three close brushes at the age at which someone is still swallowing pins because they just think it's lulls, you know, like like this is this is like under the age of ten for sure behavior mm hmm yeah, probably under the age of seven.
Speaker 1: And each of these incidents could have led to a world without a saxophone Max. Maybe something a little bittersweet. Oh perfect, perfect.
Speaker 2: There we go, heads up to everyone listening. I have no way to actually know what any of these sound like before I play them, so it's a it's a guest. I did know that that one was not going to be better sweet.
Speaker 1: Though, Okay, yeah, I thought it worked, Yeah yeah, yeah. So we're pulling out all the stops because because we've we've got an illustrious guest here. So later on he gets burned and a gunpowder explosion that's number four.
Speaker 3: Uh huh. I've heard that it like threw him across the room.
Speaker 1: You know, it's nuts. We have a good friend of the show, Rachel Lance, who is the Worlds who is a world class authority on explosions, especially underwater explosions.
Speaker 3: Good good friend of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good person to have on speed dial, you know what I mean, Like, hey, Doc Lance, there might be some explosions. I got a couple of quick questions. Yes, So I bring that up to say, when there is an explosion powerful enough to throw someone, Oh, it's not like how we see in film. It's not something that people instantly get up after.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, no, no, no no. And that wasn't the only that wasn't the only brush with fiery death that he had, because the next one is that I I guess there was a cast iron pan on a stove and he kind of like tripped into it, just just just wamp kind of uh huh, and just really really did a number on himself. I mean, you know, And that's that's cast iron gets quite hot and it holds heap very well. So yeah, that's bad.
Speaker 1: And then it continues. So that's number five.
Speaker 3: That's number five.
Speaker 1: We can count disasters six, seven, and eight as a group we talked about this off air, right, like all the times he almost asphyxiated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these are actually my favorite because it's such like an artist thing to do. Okay, So he almost suffocated himself more than once, more than twice, at least three times because he just kept varnishing things and then going to sleep in the room where they were drying without properly ventilating it. And I feel like as artists, like I mean like like, I mean, like we're writers, so we have like slightly less danger.
Speaker 1: Sure, but but I love that.
Speaker 3: I just love that. I love it when you're just arting too hard to bother thinking about, you know.
Speaker 4: Not dying.
Speaker 2: Sure. I've walked into my brother doing something like this before and I'm like, what are you doing, Alex?
Speaker 1: It's Alex Williams who composed this track. And I don't know. Can Alex play the saxophone?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 1: Maybe a little.
Speaker 3: I don't think he plays everything else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I I think he might some. I don't think he's ever played that much read instrument. Okay, caution, he's percussion, he's obviously.
Speaker 1: He gave me a great little melodica.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think brass and reed though stuff he hasn't played that much. But you know what, I'm also based on this off of like, you know, when we lived together in high school. Yeah, and we are not in high school any longer. We are old, old old credits.
Speaker 1: Now, well, the varnish can still get you. The point of that is keep a window open, yes, always. But then, of course he almost dies a couple other times.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there were a couple more public accidents that happened. I guess. In one he was just walking down the street minding his own sax business and a roof paver or something like slid right down and conked him on the.
Speaker 1: Head, like cartoon stych.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, yeah, this was it was probably from acme, right. And then there was another time that he fell into a river and was rescued by a stranger who happened to be passing by and like noticed that this kid was floating face down.
Speaker 1: Which that is sobery, that's frightening. And this all leads us to that quote you mentioned when even even his parents acknowledged this this kid at a situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were like, heck and hecket sacks, could you please could you get your stuff together? Man? Yeah, his his mother there's a quote from his mother. Again, I'm not totally sure where we're getting this from, but apparently she said he's a child condemned to misfortune, he won't.
Speaker 1: Live and in the district, in the neighborhood, his street name was Little Sax the Ghost.
Speaker 3: That's a good street name. Yeah, right, right, could we get some ghostly secks?
Speaker 2: We can try.
Speaker 1: WHOA nailed it?
Speaker 2: I'm not hearing gonna be sexs phone?
Speaker 3: Yeah that doesn't sound like a sex Yeah, I mean, but let's.
Speaker 2: Give a second. We're doing this live, y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen along with let's let's see what the second comes in.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: Like, butta my dude, that's high quality. Yeah, now, I just kind of want to hang out and hear this all right now, this would be weird music to hear in a waiting room. Oh well, yeah, like what are you waiting there?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So, Little Sacks the Ghost does reach adulthood, yes, and he is. He feels that Paris is calling him. He has the dream of traveling to France, and so he does. In the eighteen forties. He has only thirty francs in his pocket, so he's a real success story. There's something romantic about being this talented musician. I'm in Paris. I'm gonna make my own way. I'm going to redefine music going to the big city there it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all of this was you know, this was after the Revolution, Napoleon's reign, and so Paris was a little bit nutty little miss at the time. Sure yeah, yeah, yeah, but there was still money to be made from the military. So like his father before him, Sachs got some contracts with the French military, or similar to like his father before him.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, which is fascinating to me because that's such a weirdly specific career or flex. I never thought about it, but I guess, so what does have to make all those musical instruments and at this time they're making a lot of them by hand?
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I mean, and there are still military bands, but I think that they were more of a phenomenon at this time than they are currently. You know, people didn't have Netflix. They had to make their own fun.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, that fun would be war complete with five sure right. So he also is very very ambitious, this guy, because he doesn't just want to make the same the same old vanilla clarinet he starts inventing his own instruments, and his dream is to bring his own brand new instruments to these militaries. And in eighteen forty two, that's when he really starts working on what would become the saxophone, and the whole weird family.
Speaker 3: Host charmingly named family of other instruments that he just put his own name in front of and I had never heard of before. Because you have what the sax.
Speaker 1: Tuba, the sax horn.
Speaker 3: Perhaps my favorite, the sax troumba.
Speaker 1: Sax tromba.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that is, but I want to hear it.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, okay, we're gonna have to dig in on that one. I think that's a deep cut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because none of these ever really made it anywhere, certainly not the way that the saxophone did.
Speaker 1: Right, And he also didn't name it himself, so lest we think his ambition led to some meglomaniacal thing, he was not calling it a saxophone. He was right around third a little bit. He's like right on the cusp of becoming thirty years old when he starts making I know, right when he starts making inroads in the Parisian music scene, and though he could be an abrasive dude, he makes He makes a friendship with a composer and a critic named Hector Berlois. And these guys when they meet, they click. They have like a Cloud Atlas moment and they're like, what do you think about you know, clarinets. He's like that shit's for barbarians or whatever they talk about, and they burn them indnight oil and Sachs ends up pitching this guy, this established Parisian musician. He's like, here's what I think about everything. Here are my ideas we should have instruments for the armies. I'm gonna do this thing and that thing, and we pull to quote from his hometown's website, it was it was kind of a It was an awkward moment when Sas finally ran out of steam and stopped talking.
Speaker 3: Huh, because apparently Burloyd's had just been listening to all of this in silence. According to the hometown website, at the end of this conference, he confided in Sacks, tomorrow you will know what I think about the work you have accomplished.
Speaker 1: That's cryptic.
Speaker 3: I would be pretty mad if I if I poured my heart out my creative heart out. It's someone who was, you know, like a decent buddy. Sure, and they were like, yeah, I wanna get back to you tomorrow about that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. It's it's a very strange thing, you know. And then on June twelfth, eighteen forty two, Sax learns that there's an article in this journal Beloy's writes for and it's all about how great Sax is. Axe is called as invention at this point the bass horn. Okay, but it's Hector who gives it the name. We know it by today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and can we can we get can we get some music in the background for this quote? Sure, I don't know what mood I want.
Speaker 2: Oh I got one right here. It's called sticky Wicket.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, all right.
Speaker 2: The description says strip tease for superheroes.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I hear that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I can see that. Okay, this is this is a good vibe.
Speaker 2: This is good. Okay, all right.
Speaker 3: The beats a little bit fast, but let's see, let's see what we can do with this. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's principal Merit in my view, is the very beauty of its accent, sometimes serious, sometimes calm, sometimes impassioned, dreamy, or melancholic, or vague, like the weakened echo of an echo, like the indistinct, plaintiff mones of the breeze in the woods, and even better, like the mysterious vibrations of a bell long after it has been struck. There does not exist another musical instrument that I know of that possesses this strange resonance which is situated at the edge of silence.
Speaker 1: Thank you, especially because yeah, with that you're spitting for a second there, you know that with the beat at that speed, so he is over the moon, hector and he may have been taciturn toward the end of that initial conversation, but after he had some time to digest, to percolate, to chew on it, he decided he was a sax fan for life. He thought the name basehorn was dumb, so he started calling it the saxophone. It was new, it was different. This article, with all this praise, it goes out in Belgium, it goes out in France, and this is the start of a brand new era for Adolphus Sacks. Of course, being a brand new era doesn't mean it's one hundred said a great brand new era.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because, as it happened in the past, with this success and this skill and talent came a lot of weird vibes his way, Like there was a lot of jealousy and criticism to deal with. M m.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He was introduced throughout the musical world. It was sort of like when something hits Twitter and everybody feels that they are required to have a stance on it. Oh yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the Bean's dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, sure, yeah you can. You can hate the saxophone, you can love it, but you are going to be taking you have an opinion. You have an opinion. And he met a lot of other composers who who co signed it. They said, you know, let's add this to classical music. Let's let's shake things up. He gets to hang out at the salons the doing the Ted Talks of day and everybody knows his name. He's at this time, like you said, he's working on these things that he starts calling sax horns, counting the sax horn, the sax tube, and of course the vogel bomb favorite the sax tromba.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: They all work off the same principle, right, you are influencing the sound of air released into a brass.
Speaker 3: Tube in various ways. Sure, yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 1: He created this instrument, the original saxophone, in two sizes. One is the larger subcontra bassed saxophone, and the other one, which Max I think is the one you like, is the soprano.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I was drinking some water right there. I think there's like, what's there's like? Now there is what the soprano, the alto, the baritone, a lot more. See out the ones that are really like high pitch and annoying. Hold us like, let me just get one real quick. Yeah, so saxophone, so prano, I think that's how it is, fell soprano like something kind of the loading has taken longer than I expected to take something along the here we go.
Speaker 1: Sopranino, something like that. I don't know, I don't know why I'm saying with that egregious mark accent, but but yeah, So he makes these they they're a blend of wood winds and brass. They can get those notes we would call bluesy today, and they can even you know, they can even give you like a melancholy stringed instrument vibe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as as Berloy was was saying to that very perky music, very.
Speaker 1: Perky music, and the saxophone would later be called I want to see how you feel about this quote. It would later be called the perennial Cinderella of serious music by Time magazine.
Speaker 3: Wow, Time magazine. That's the word salad. I mean, okay, all right, perennial Cinderella of serious music.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm yeah. So every so the idea is the saxophone. At least in Sacks, his life was seen as not super legit nor respectable, you know what I mean. It's like to a lot of the haters. Again, and I hesitate to use that phrase, but it is the most accurate to a lot of his haters, a lot of the people who are envious or disliked him. Having a saxophone in your orchestra would be the same thing as having like a jug, yeah, or like you know, a washboard.
Speaker 3: Or something yeah yeah, like like like, please be serious, why are you eating here right now?
Speaker 1: Saucer for wood, right, that kind of thing. And if you look around today, it seems like he was really successful. He did revolutionize music, but not really in his time, and a lot a lot of it goes down to his personality. Uh he he he could be ornery.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Another another quote from that website. He apparently had exceptional gifts for the gentle art of making enemies.
Speaker 1: Which poetic. Oh beautiful. Why is it a gentle art?
Speaker 3: I mean, if you want really high quality enemies, you have to be gentle about it.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, you got you got to ease your way into the enmity. So people tried to sabotage his innovations. People refuse to play instruments he made. His boy Burloys is continuing to defend him. Uh. And then this guy comes out of Germany. His name, we'll call him Viprecht. He is a band leader for a part of the German military. And he says, hold on, this guy's a phony because some inventors from Germany were the first ones to make this thing you're calling the saxophone, and you have stolen the idea. You're a plagiarizer and imitator. And they said, look, we're going to show you that we did this. Ben would he be a saxophony?
Speaker 4: He would?
Speaker 3: He would?
Speaker 1: You know what, you know what we gotta do the max with the facts on that one that seeking in the phone and he's fallen.
Speaker 2: Lolge it's just for you right now with the fact.
Speaker 1: Do you know this song? Oh yeah, okay, legendary. We got Matt Frederick to do it live one time.
Speaker 3: Oh it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they they perpetrate fraud themselves. What they do is they order some of his some of Sax's actual instruments from him from Paris. When they get it in the mail, they buff out his name.
Speaker 3: From the brass yeah, uh huh, and then send the instruments back to France. We made this, yeah, see it doesn't have your serial number on it at all.
Speaker 1: That's insane to me. That's like buying a car and then switching out the branding, you know, a little picture of yourself and then sending it back to Honda or whatever and say like, actually, I made this score and I'm suing you. So so this is this is a heck of a con or an attempt at it, and Sax is not going to take it. Laying down line down, lane down, lind down.
Speaker 3: I can never tell that one apart. It's yeah, that's not the kind of editing I'm good at.
Speaker 1: He's not going to take it in a horizontal position.
Speaker 3: Yeah no no, but but they were serious about it, like they really tried to be like no, no, no, like we've done known about these in German for a hot minute. Look at how good our German musicians are at playing these instruments. They clearly wouldn't be this good if they didn't. And the thing is is that they couldn't play them right like like like there like there was a there was a whole like like public demonstration and they literally could not play the saxophone and the bass clarinet. They were kind of like peepoop. Yeah right, that's a historical reenactment. It's very very act accurate.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and uh and VI break all of a sudden has has like a revelational like a Rode to Damascus moment, and he goes, you know what, I like sax now. I think you're cool, bro. And then and then sax Flex is on him and goes, you know what about the patent. I shall wait another year before registering this patent. We shall see whether by then a maker will have produced a true saxophone.
Speaker 4: He's like, oh wow, He's like, yeah, come at me exactly. I wish he would Yeah right right, make one if he can, you know what I mean? It eventually does patent the saxophone. It's eighteen forty six. And as soon as he does that, there are pirated versions that come out in France and he makes no money.
Speaker 1: Off of those. He's more and more known for his difficult personality. If we go back to Joe Santi at the Museum of Musical Instruments, we see a weird We see a quote that shows us just how divisive a figure he was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he said with Adolph Sachs, he was so controversial. You were either for him or against him. This dangerous, dynamic, prolific Belgian who had arrived in Paris split up the musical world in France between pros and cons.
Speaker 1: Okay, now we have all at some point in our lives. We have all felt that someone has for no valid reason and decided they don't like us.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh sure, yeah, I'm I'm I'm paranoid about that all the time with everybody constantly. Right, It's like a really key defining personality trait.
Speaker 1: And sometimes you know, people will resent someone for due to envy. Right, why is why as why don't I have a musical instrument named after me et cetera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why is that kid getting all the attention? He's so weedy.
Speaker 1: He's so weedy, right and so perfect?
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And so Sax experiences this on a much more extreme level than most people. Entire clubs are formed centering on how much they dislike Sax and how much they dislike his inventions.
Speaker 3: And this was before the internet. So yeah, I'm really proud of like the amount of effort this must have taken.
Speaker 1: They scheduled, they like met up in person. You know, they probably had an agenda at their meetings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and and and like the press got involved and business turned real sour for sex. He wound up declaring bankruptcy three times eighteen fifty two, eighteen seventy three, and eighteen seventy seven. It probably would have been a fourth, But then Napoleon the Third, who I guess was on the other side of this pro sex anti Sax debate. I just stepped in and saved him from financial ruin because he.
Speaker 2: Could also not that Napoleon, not that oh the third?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, the first, Yes, the Napoleon three, the first president of France.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, how tall was Napoleon three? Do we know let's see s Ben, You and I like to joke about, like how the first Napoleon wasn't actually that short.
Speaker 3: Oh no, he was quite reasonably sized for someone of that age.
Speaker 2: Right, a lot taller than some other people like Stalin. Stalin was much shorter than Napoleon.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, ooh that's fun.
Speaker 2: But Stalin had people had purposely had a lot of people around who were very short to make him look taller in photos.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great, yeah, until he erased them out of the photos right during his purges. This is a yeah, the very first photoshop under Stalin. It's thank you to Adobe for being way more cool. But yet, so without knowing how tall, uh, Napoleon three was, I guess we could say, in modern parlance, Napoleon Napoleon, Napoleon the first was about five six.
Speaker 2: See, I've heard five eight.
Speaker 3: Also, yeah, I've heard I've heard between five six and five eight.
Speaker 2: Right. There's a lot of debate because I know Stalin was five to five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stall was definitely five to five, right, So.
Speaker 2: I think that's one of those things that's lost to history. It was mostly like propaganda and I counterattacks on Napoleon be like, oh he's so short, right, And there's also been like a lot of people like I think Peter did great. Was Peter the Greade six eight or was he like six four? I can't remember either way.
Speaker 3: That's quite tall.
Speaker 2: He's quite tall, much taller than me. He gets portrayed as like seven to two.
Speaker 1: I mean, history cast a shadow, does it?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: True?
Speaker 1: So, no matter how tall or short, Napoleon the Third was, no matter how you feel about his domestic and foreign policies, the guy loved saxophones. And he was like, oh, come on, man, don't go broke over this. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And his buddy Burlois still was coming up to his defense, and he was still selling saxophones, Like, he was still selling not a lot of those other saxes. But from eighteen forty three to eighteen sixty he apparently sold like twenty thousand different ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a lot of it's a lot of smooth jazz, it is, which wasn't a thing yet either, No, no, no, no, no not at all.
Speaker 3: That's but right, yeah, and he continued inventing instruments. He was teaching at the Paris Conservatory. It wasn't all bad.
Speaker 1: It wasn't all bad, but he was always under some sort of financial strain. In eighteen fifty eight, he gets lip cancer, which is a thing.
Speaker 3: Apparently that's a thing.
Speaker 1: Apparently that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can get cancer anywhere.
Speaker 1: I guess, sure, yeah, you can get cancer anywhere. He got lip cancer. This did not kill him. He experienced a full recovery. Bizarrely enough, he lives a full life, and he dies of pneumonia in Paris, impoverished and elderly. He's like seventy nine eighty years old. On February seventh, eighteen ninety four, when you did an excellent teaser at the beginning here a little bit of foreshadowing in our episode where you said, we don't have a lot of sources on Sax's early life, and we're going to learn why. So that's the question, why don't we know more about this guy? Because saxophones are everywhere today?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you're tripping over saxophones anywhere you go. It would be an awkward thing to trip over. I feel like I would try to, though I'm.
Speaker 1: Laughing because I'm imagining this sound effect, even though it doesn't make sense, because someone would have to be playing the saxophone, for to make a saxophone noise when you trip over it. Yeah, So at this point you're basically like jumping over someone or they're on the ground playing the saxophone.
Speaker 2: Yea, So Ben, what you're saying is, if you trip over a saxophone with no one around, is there a sound?
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I'm saying. Yeah, And you articulated it so well, Max, Okay, but why Yeah.
Speaker 3: The thing is is that no one cared about him at the time. By the time he died, I feel like what happened was everyone was so what was bored of arguing about it. It was kind of pushed to argue about him for a certain period of his life. And then by the time he passed, he wasn't that big of a deal anymore. No one was talking about him anymore. So records about him were not saved until a little bit later when the saxophone became something that you might be in danger of driving there.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yes, And now we know that the saxophone was almost forgotten entirely, and it had become it had become not quite prestigious enough to be part of an orchestra. But now it wasn't interesting enough to argue about in those salons. As you said, it would take a century or more for the saxophone to become what we know it today, because although it was im penurias circumstances, sax was not aware that his creation was on the move. I think it was in nineteen hundred people who played in military bands in the Spanish American War come back to the United States, particularly New Orleans, and they bring the saxophone with them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So with the rise of jazz in the United States, I think specifically like like by like like world like after World War One, you started really getting this, this the zeitgeist of the saxophone.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. Yeah, in that Inner War period, like nineteen twenties, the late teens and the jazz age that's that is what they call it. Yes, so we might need a Lauren with the facts.
Speaker 2: Who's that guest hosting the show burn and she's on this podcast, Lawrence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we would say, all right, the story's over. Jazz saves the saxophone. However, jazz also brought a lot of a lot of social problems in the United States to bear right and a lot of people who saw themselves as posh fans of classical music. They looked down at jazz, they looked askance at it, and the saxophone being associated with jazz meant that. Yet again, there was a huge group of people who thought, this is not series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is an un serious instrument.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yeah, And that would have been the case all the way up to the modern day if it weren't for a guy named Marcel Mule in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and okay, so I don't have an extremely good grip on musical history, but according to Time Magazine, when he played the Heck and Sacks, the instrument could produce quote an open, evenly controlled sound that could sing with a clean vibrato or a finely trimmed staccato swell robustly and solidly, with no trace of the breath the air sound.
Speaker 1: Who sounds like the sounds like the journalist over a time had a little bit of misophonia, right or misophoonia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that was like not like that heck and clarinet where you're hearing the mouth noises all the time.
Speaker 1: The mouth noises is what the guy at time is saying. Yeah, so Marcel mule is this champion of making the saxophone a well respected classical instrument, and he goes so far as to form a saxophone an all saxophone quartet.
Speaker 3: A classical saxophone quartet, a.
Speaker 1: Classical saxophone quartet. And when they formed this, there wasn't any music for them to play. Sure, people didn't write for.
Speaker 3: It, no, but he he was not deterred. He told Time Magazine, I have one mission in life. That is to make people take the saxophone seriously. It's time they discovered the nobility of this spoiled instrument.
Speaker 1: Since we are an audio podcast, I want everyone to know, Lauren, you were like getting very close to slamming your hand on the table in Time, right, justice for the saxophone. This this is crazy because I did not know just how close. Again and again and again the world came to not having the saxophone.
Speaker 3: I mean, what would Lisa Simpson have even done?
Speaker 1: Right, that's like half her thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it. Yeah, I mean right, due to like various brushes with death and I guess being very weedy. Yeah, we almost didn't have the sex.
Speaker 1: And you know, while we're while we're going out to our regular outro. Max, maybe we can have just a little saxophone to get us in.
Speaker 2: I thought you would never ask. I've been queuing this one up the whole time.
Speaker 1: I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Bolts it with saxophone. And remember, I have no idea what it sounds like.
Speaker 1: Waltz it with saxophone. It is a little racy, man, It's beautiful. Facts this point has headphones and shrunking.
Speaker 2: It's much quieter in my headphones than yours. And I don't know why I can barely hear it of these. So I'm really going blind faith on this song.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, let's hope it works. Of course, Thank you mister Max Williams are super producer. Thanks of course to Alex Williams, who can pose the banging track you here. Thanks of course to Jonathan Strickland aka the Quister. We're required to say it, get that. Yeah, and most especially Lauren, thank you so much for coming on the show. You're one of the busiest folks I know, and it's an absolute pleasure to have you join us again.
Speaker 3: Oh it's always good to come on and goof around. And here's some good sax music.
Speaker 1: Yes, and for everybody who's wondering. We talked a little bit about your many other projects here. Where can people find you? Where can they learn more about your work?
Speaker 3: Oh? On the internet if you can, if you can spell my name, you can probably find me. And I know that that's a little bit of a tall order, but but yeah, that's that's Lauren Vogelbaum and I am currently on brain stuff Saver And you can listen to the archive of American Shadows and yeah yeah, or or find me on Instagram at vogel Bomb v O g e l Bomb.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, so and so with that, we hope you join us next time, Ridiculous Historians. We're going to be diving into moral panics surrounding hip hop. We're going to be We're gonna be doing lots of stuff. We're going to be doing all right, lot lots of things. Thanks so much, folks, We'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.