Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin this morning with the latest round of criminal charges against former President Donald Trump. For the third time since he left office, an indictment has been unsealed against the former president. This one is tied to the attack on the US Capitol on January sixth, the efforts to overturn the twenty twenty election. Special Council Jack Smith called it an unprecedented assault on American democracy.
Speaker 4: It's described in the indictment it was fueled by lies, lies by the defendant targeted at obstructing a bedrock function of the US government, the nation's process of collecting, counting, and certifying the results of the presidential election.
Speaker 3: Special Council Jack Smith is charging Trump with four counts, including conspiracy to defraud the US and conspiracy against the right to vote.
Speaker 2: Well Nathan, reaction is pouring into the indictment. Bloomberg Legal analyst June Garosso has more the government's case against the former president.
Speaker 5: There are six other co conspirators that are not named. However, you can also tell who some of them are. It's pretty obvious that Rudy Giuliani is one of them and some of the other attorneys that were involved in the efforts to change the results of the election.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg s Jean Grosso says Trump is accused of using the Justice Department to make knowingly false claims about the election by having the acting Attorney General sign a formal letter backing the claims.
Speaker 3: Well, this and other indictments against Donald Trump are looming large in the next presidential election, and these charges in particular present a historic moment in presidential politics. We get reaction and analysis from Bloomberg political contributor Jeanie she and Zano.
Speaker 6: This is the first former president to be charged with trying to steal an election and to impact and disrupt the peaceful transfer of power which we have had in this country since eighteen hundred when John Adams handed it over to Thomas Jefferson, somebody he detested from another party. So it is quite an indictment.
Speaker 3: Genie she and Zano notes the former president now faces indictments over classified documents at mar A Lago and charges over hush payments to an adult film star. In addition to this latest indictment, Donald Trump has been instructed to appear in court on these latest charges at four pm tomorrow in Washington, and.
Speaker 2: Stay with US for more details and analysis on the indictment and the political fallout. Now, we have another major story to tell you about this morning. The US has been stripped of its top tier credit rating by Fitch Ratings, and stocks are falling on the news Bloombergy. John Tucker joins US now with the story, John and Karen.
Speaker 7: Fitch has downgraded the US one level from triple A to triple A plus. Fish criticizes the debt limit clashes in Congress waiting till the last minute to raise the debt limit, and they take aim at the ballooning deficit they first warned back in May they might do this. What's the practical effect of all this? We put that question New Economic Mickey Levy at Behrenberg.
Speaker 8: It's significant in the short run because obviously markets are going to respond.
Speaker 9: In the long run, very very little impact.
Speaker 7: And Libby Cantrell at Pimkell also weighing in.
Speaker 2: I mean is a little bit suspect.
Speaker 6: I don't think we got anything new today that would have sort of resulted or precipitated this.
Speaker 7: We've been here before. In twenty eleven s and P downgrade at the US credit rating that triggered to sell off in stocks but ironically boosted the value of US debt, and there's similar reaction this time. Treasury's rallying is investors see coount Haven's moody still rates the US sovereign triple A, its top grade. In New York, I'm John Tucker, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: All right, John, thank you.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 3: The White House is lashing out at Fitch over that downgrade to double A plus. We get that part of the story from Bloomberg's Ed Baxter.
Speaker 10: The administration says stripping the US if its top tier credit rating is not warranted, saying the US fiscal governance practices are strong. It says Fish's decision does not change what Americans, investors, and people all around the world already know that Treasury securities remain the world's pre eminence safe and liquid asset. But this does come two months after the bitter standoff on raising the death limit and ahead of the threat of no agreement on funding the government going forward. In San Francisco, I'm at Baxter, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: All right, Ed, Thanks well, Wall Street is also reacting to the downgrade from Fitch and Bloomberg. Steve Rappaport joins us with that part of the story.
Speaker 8: Stee you, good morning, Karen and Nathan. Larry Summers and Mohammadel Arian joined the chorus of prominent economists criticizing the decision. Summers, the former Treasury secretary and the Bloomberg contributor, called the move absurd given signs of a stronger economy. Larian said he was perplexed, but downplayed the significance of the downgrade. In a post on Twitter, now being renamed ex el, Arian predicted Fitch's announcement is much more likely to be dismissed than having a lasting disruptive impact on the US economy and markets in New York. I'm Steve Rappaport, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: Okay, Steve, thanks some other markets news this morning. Advanced my Grow Devices is out with earnings that beat estimates. The chip makers also touting inroads it's making an artificial intelligence that is spurring optimism the company can gain ground on Nvidio.
Speaker 2: And Nathan shares a Starbucks are down two percent. The company's quarterly sales fell short of estimates. As traffic growth slowed in the US, analysa Starbucks earnings show that US consumers may be starting to cut back on discretionary services.
Speaker 8: Hry Nathan, thanks, and.
Speaker 2: It's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Amy Morris, Amy, Good morning, Good.
Speaker 3: Morning, Karen.
Speaker 11: Former Vice President Mike Pence says Donald Trump should never be president again and is a distraction to the country. It is his strongest criticism yet of his former boss and current campaign rival. Pence released a statement saying, quote, our country is more important than one man. Our constitution is more important than any one man's career. The former vice president testified before the grand jury and as a central figure, and that forty five page indictment of Trump, his name or the office of the vice president are mentioned more than one hundred times. Meanwhile, Vice President Kamala Harris is turning down an invitation from Florida Governor Ron de Santis to visit Florida to discuss the state's new black history curriculum that suggests enslaved people learned valuable skills. Bloomberg's at Nancy Lyons reports.
Speaker 12: Vice President Kamala Harris made her response crystal clear to an Orlando gathering of the Women's Missionary Society of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
Speaker 13: There is no roundtable, no lecture, no invitation. We will accept to debate an undeniable fact. There were no redeeming qualities of slavery.
Speaker 12: And Harris says she will not stop calling out and fighting back against those who try to prevent our children from learning our true and full history. Nancy Lyon's Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 11: The migrant crisis is spilling out onto the streets of New York. Hundreds of people sleeping and waiting for help on the sidewalks outside the Roosevelt Hotel in Midtown Manhattan. Mayor Eric Adams spokesman Fabian Levy says the administration is trying to figure out a solution.
Speaker 1: We're just simply out of space.
Speaker 5: We've been saying this for.
Speaker 8: Months for you know, almost say furcas point.
Speaker 14: And so what we really need is help from our state and federal partners.
Speaker 11: Mayor Adams says they've reached an inflection point a year after Texas began bussing migrants from its border towns to New York. The Mega Millions jackbot surged to an estimated one point two five billion dollars, the fifth largest in US history, after no tickets matched all six numbers drawn last night. If there is a winner in the next draw, they can choose between a one point five one point twenty five billion dollar payout spread over thirty years, or a lump sum amount of six hundred and twenty five million dollars. But after taxes, that'll leave you with about three hundred ninety four four million dollars.
Speaker 14: Give or take.
Speaker 11: Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts in more than one hundred twenty countries.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy Morrison. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Karen all right, Amy, thank you, and it is five oh nine on Wall Street Time. Now for the Bloomberg Sports Update, Here's John stash Hour, John jarn.
Speaker 15: The Houston Astros who won the World Series last fall had themselves.
Speaker 9: Quite a day yesterday.
Speaker 15: First, they made a trade with the Mets to get back Justin Verlander, the trade coming exactly six years after they acquired him the first time from the Detroit Tigers and during his first stint with the Astros, he won two Cion Award and twice helped the Astros win the World Series. Houston then hosted Cleveland.
Speaker 16: Here's the O, Tita Gallagher broken bat, soft liner peyedya ketches. It had a no hitter Proper Boutons first one. The creative is Baldonado and the rest of his teammates pile on. Propert Valdez was the sixteenth though hitter at Houston Ashville's history.
Speaker 15: ABM had the call. He needed only ninety three pitches to go the distance. Red Sox won in Seattle six to four. Giants topped Arizona four to three. The A's loss of the Dodgers seven to three, Baltimore all over Toronto thirteen to three. The Nationals lost in Milwaukee six to four. The Iowa State starting quarterback Hunter Deckers accused of betting on numerous sporting events, including those involving Iowa State and at least one Cyclones football game Ilowit's believed he didn't play in that game. An injury to La Rams All Pro wide receiver Cooper Cup and training Camp left with an injured hamstring.
Speaker 7: John Stashewer Bloomberg.
Speaker 17: Scourt from coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Sirius Exam the Bloomberg Business appen Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: Good morning. I'm Nathan Hager. This morning, the legal pressure continues to build around former President Donald Trump, even as he remains the runaway front runner in the Republican primary race to return to the White House. The latest charges against the former president from the Justice Department or tied to the events of January sixth. Special Council Jack Smith says Trump knowingly spread false claims about the twenty twenty election in a conspiracy to defraud the US and American voters.
Speaker 4: Since the attack on our capital, the Department of Justice has remained committed to ensuring accountability for those criminally responsible for what happened that day. This case has brought consistent with that commitment.
Speaker 3: Special Counsel Jacksmith spoke after the indictment was unsealed yesterday in Washington for more on this latest criminal case against the former president and its impact on the twenty twenty four campaign. We are very pleased to be joined this morning for a roundtable discussion by Terry Haynes, founder of Pangaea Policy, and Greg Valier, chief US policy strategist at AGF Investments. Gentlemen, it's good to have both of you with us, and I want to start with you, Terry, because in the past you've called these mounting legal troubles for the former president death by one thousand paper cuts. How big a cut is this for the former president?
Speaker 9: You know, good morning, Nathan. It's another cut mitigated only because we all had a pretty good idea it was coming. But you know, there's what we've seen in Washington in the past week is a lot of truth stretching all the way around. I don't have to belabor mister Trump's truth stretching because that's been very well covered over the past years. You have a difficult you have a situation where for markets, first and foremost, in the last week, you've got greater uncertainty about the twenty twenty four presidential race, not only because of mister Trump though, but also because of the president and the president's son, because the Hunter Biden scandal. You know, it gets ever closer to the White House, and UH as the White House story changes, UH from a situation of Biden was never in business with the son. Now it was never discussed. And h you know, we've we have a new, a new contribution to the political lexicon in the the illusion of access to the uh from from mister Hunter, Biden's business partner, Devin Archer. So you know, Biden's on some choppy sees here as well. And uh, finally, you know, on the indictment. Uh, you know, one thing I'll point out is everybody's been waiting for a January sixth indictment with dealing with mister Trump. But you know what you've got here is Smith wanting it both ways. The indictment itself says that Trump and quote has a right like every American to speak publicly about the election and even to claim falsely that there had been outcome determinative fraud and that he had won quote from the indictment. So what Smith's hanging has had on is the illusion that he's doing a whole lot more about Trump in January sixth than he had been before. That's going to be very tough to prove. And you know, prosecutors, you know, not being as forthright as possible and not bringing their best evidence for the charge they claim that they're bringing. I think does no credit on the Justice Department or anything else, and it's all going to make things worse.
Speaker 3: Lot's unpack there. Let's bring you into this conversation, Greg value of AGF investments. What's your reaction to this indictment? Is it truth stretching as Terry Haynes seems to suggest.
Speaker 14: Here, Well, I have a contrarian view, Nathan Goodmore. I think in the last week or so, Trump has gotten stronger. You look at his poll numbers. He's up by about ten extra points since the first indictment in late March. He leads to Santis by thirty, thirty five, even forty points in a lot of key states, and I don't think that's going to change at all. On the other hand, you've got Joe Biden, I think almost certainly lying when he said he never discussed business with his son. You've got a continued focus on Biden's age, and I think that again, to be contrarian. Trump is clearly the favorite to win the Republican nomination, and it's not out of the question all of a sudden that he could win the presidency. Most polls show a dead heat. Then the issue becomes could Donald Trump's self pardon on inauguration Day? There's all sorts of scenarios. I wrote about some with them this morning. I think it's premature to totally rule out Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: You both mentioned the timing here coming as the current president is facing some questions about the Hunter Biden case. Greg are you implying that there could be some timing here in bringing out this indictment at a time where there has been focused at least on Capitol Hill from House Republicans on the Hunter Biden case.
Speaker 14: I don't know. You could argue that there might be some connection, hard to say, and there's going to be another indictment in all likely later this month in Georgia, so the indictments are hard to time. I would just argue that even with these indictments, Trump can run, Even if he's convicted, he can still run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. I want to bring you back in here, Terry, to talk about how this could potentially affect the presidential race. We know that in the past the former president has been able to capitalize on these legal issues, saying that it's a witch hunt, that everyone's out to get him, and that it's a political conspiracy. Do you expect that to continue? And how can other candidates, the also rans in this presidential race try to get past this massive lead that the president has right now.
Speaker 9: Well, Nathan, my view has been for some time and remains today that I think we've seen peak Trump and that I think it's downhill from here for him. I don't think that's going to be precipitous or quick, by the way, but then again, we've got six but basically six months before the first votes are cast in the primaries, and that's a very long time in politics. I think this is death by a thousand paper cuts. And you're already starting to see the things that I've been predicting for the past few months happen with a number of the candidates, Vice President Pence and others talking about how how Trump should know that this is proof that Trump should never serve again in any sort of federal for president or any other sort of federal office. You're going to see a ramp up of attacks by the candidates. So you're going to see an indication by the candidates that they think that the prosecutions are politicized, but the Trump is unfit to serve and frankly that they offer a they offer an alternative that is the kind of policies that were advanced by Trump and by Republicans during the Trump administration without the baggage. And that's going to range from you know, people like Pence to people like Ramaswami all the way to somebody like Senator Scott of South Carolina who brings a very kind of joyful and very different look to the race.
Speaker 3: We do have three weeks until the first debate in this Republican presidential race, Greg, does this case become all about what these candidates are going to be talking about? And do you think Trump's going to show up for this when he's under three rounds of indictments.
Speaker 14: My guess is that he can't resist a camera, so he probably will show up at the debate. I mean, I hope this doesn't degenerate just into personal attacks and that we actually talk about issues social security, do we extend the Trump tax cuts? There are a wide range of issues, a funding for Ukraine that hopefully will become part of the narrative, and we don't just talk about indictments.
Speaker 3: Only have about a minute left here, but I've got to get you both very quickly on the Fitch ratings decision. I mean, if there hadn't been another indictment against the former president, that probably would have been the top story. Greg, what do you see out of this Fitch Ratings decision to downgrade the US credit.
Speaker 14: Oh, it's a story for today. It might affect stocks a little bit today, but I think think longer term the impact is modest. I would agree with Larry Summers for a change, and I would agree with Muhammad al I would agree with Muhammad al Aria. I think they're correct and that this is a one or two or three day wonder, not a persistent problem for US treasuries.
Speaker 3: And Terry your thoughts just quickly quickly.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Firstly, I think it's bad news for Biden politically. It undercuts the Bidenomics charge. Secondly, I think it undercuts Fitch. I think there's a lot of political motivation in this charge. You know, Fitch has been around for however many years, but you know, we've gone one hundred years with the current system we've had in the United States of funding the government, and you know, now they're going to get upset about debt ceiling and annual appropriations and finally on the economists, I would point out that many of the same people that are criticizing Fitch are also people that helped create the situation through endorsing money printing in the kind of fiscal ballooning Fitsch falls out.
Speaker 3: Good to get your thoughts on both the Fitch ratings downgrade for the US and the indictment of former President Donald Trump. Terry Haynes of Pangaea Policy with us on the phone this morning, and Greg Valier, your chief US policy strategistic AGF Investments, joining us via zoom this morning. Now, this latest indictment against Donald Trump adds to an already packed court schedule. Even more charges could be on the way right in the heart of the campaign season. For more on how this latest case might play out and reaction to the indictment, we're joined now by Bloomberg Law host June Grosso. June, I know you've been able to read this indictment probably a couple of times.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 3: What's your reaction to the potential seriousness of these charges and how they compare to the last round of charges from Special Counsel Jack Smith on the classified documents.
Speaker 18: Well, these charges are very serious and I'd say that this case is more difficult case for the Special Council then the Classified Documents case. Classified Documents case is a little more straightforward and easier to prove. But this case is important, very important, because of course of what it alleges against Donald Trump, and it's laid out really well. It's sort of the both cases. What we see is what's called the talking indictment, whereby reading the indictment you can see exactly what the government is going to have to prove, the kind of evidence they have, and in both cases they have a tremendous amount of evidence, and it's just a question of what Donald Trump can do, what kind of defense he can raise. As far as timing, it's hard to tell what's going to happen and when the cases are going to go forward. Because May twenty if is when the Classified Documents case is supposed to go to trial, but now that there's additional defendant and additional charge, just I don't know that it's actually going to meet that May twentieth, and it's any guess when this case is going to trial. Trial, But the Special Counsel is trying to get a speedy trial, he said, because and One of the reasons I think that we see only Donald Trump charge is that they want to move this very quickly and they want to eliminate any problems they have if there are more defendants in the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did hear Jack Smith say that he wanted a speedy trial. But we've seen in the past that former President Trump's legal team has tried to delay proceedings many times before in the past cases as well. What potential delays could the former president's team try to mount based on this indictment.
Speaker 18: Well, first of all, they could you know, little delays, just delays for procedural issues, all kinds of like they can file motion motion, practice, motion after motion, mass motion, trying to get more information, or you know, just the'll file. It's sort of like I remember going to work at a law firm and leaving three years later, and one of the cases I worked on that was there seven years before was still waiting to be tried because there are so many just prosidial motions that you can raise. And also, what's going to happen here is Trump has trials. October second of twenty three is the New York Journey General's Fraud Trual January fifteenth of twenty twenty four is Egene Carrol's second defamation suit. March twenty fifth of twenty twenty four is the Manhattan criminal trial over the alleged hush payments, and then May twentieth, twenty twenty fours is handling up classified documents. So they're going to go into court and say, your honor, we can't possibly handle all these trials. We have to we need the breadth, and we need time, and so that's going to be a think a big delay factor is just when can they actually go to trial? And you know, you have to give the defendant. One thing that's really, you know, easy to do or easy to understand, is the defendant saying, wait a second, your honor, this isn't fair. I can't handle all these things at once. I can't be in all these different places at once. And so those kinds of things.
Speaker 3: All this is coming in the midst of a presidential campaign as well, that's on top of the schedule. Does that raise the possibility that all this could get pushed back until after the election.
Speaker 18: Well, that's something that the Special counsel is going to try desperately not to happen. He's going to try everything to try to move one of these cases at least before the election. But you know it is a possibility that is after the election. It's just hard to see at this point how they can move all these cases so quickly.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed add six a Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: And I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak