Speaker 1: I did get an email today from one Barbie Block who what did miss Block say? Hello, Barbie, thank you for listening. She had recently listened to our Daniel Harrison interview and she wanted to bring up the topic we discussed about emancipation, and she said that a lot of people use the term emancipation to mean legally eighteen.
Speaker 2: That there are.
Speaker 1: Two different versions of that. One is true emancipation, which means you are divorced from your parents. You are a full entire adult, and you can make all decisions for yourself. And then there is legal eighteen, which is a contract that your parents have to sign that says you can work adult hours, but you are still a minor. It just removes your parents from having to be on set and you can work adult hours. But they she said, most people, especially now, very few people actually get emancipated, but there are a majority of people who are legally eighteen.
Speaker 3: Wow, I got that must make see what? I Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think I must have been legally eighteen then, because I never got emancipated, but my parents weren't on the set I was sixteen.
Speaker 3: We started to show emancipated will No, you had to have been because.
Speaker 4: Your teens have been legally eighteen or.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, I never I had to go in front of a judge, but you know, with my parents. But yeah, you know, I had to say, like, I'm I'm a working adult at sixteen, and I want to be in charge of my own money and my own life and be able to do I had to do all that.
Speaker 2: Explain that process a little bit.
Speaker 3: How did you. I don't quite remember it all. I just know that I was moving at sixteen once I got my driver's license. I wanted my own apartment. You were going into, I guess at that point the fourth season of the show, and I wanted my own apartment, and you know, it was like it was a source of conflict with my mom a little bit because she was like, okay, and so at first it was like, you can have your own apartment, but I'm still gonna come to LA every other week and stay with you to check in. That only lasted like two times, and then she was like, all right, you're fine, you know, because I was working all the time, Like we didn't have that much free time. Like when I was in LA at my apartment, I was going to boy Me's World every day. But but yeah, but legally it was it was going to be better for me to be emancipated. So I don't know, my dad filed whatever paperwork and we had to go to in front of a judge in Sonoma County where I grew up and like make the case, and I don't know, it's like, I think it's the only time besides traffic school, that I've ever been in a court room, right, like, you know, standing in front of a judgement, and it was easy. It was just like oh, and the judges asked me a couple of questions about like you know, basically that you want this that, and my parents are there because I think in a lot of cases, people get emancipated in order to get away from that situation.
Speaker 1: Right, And that's when legal emancipation would make sense, when you're truly looking to be on your own and be treated as an adult. And I think we had talked about that a little bit also with Danielle Harris, about where she was like then when the tax board came after her, when the IRS came after her, and she was like, they treat as I was an adult, even though at the time I was seventeen but she had been legally emancipated. Yeah, so I did just want Barbie wanted to bring that up because I do know. I did remember that. We didn't discuss it too much, and I think Danielle was emancipated. Writer, I believe you were emancipated. But there is another version you can do, which is you're still a minor and your parents are still responsible for you. It's just that they don't have to be on set with you, and you are allowed to work the adult hours of an adult.
Speaker 4: That must have been what I got, because again, I had a legal guardian when I lived in LA I had Spencer that I lived with, but he never came to the set and he was there and I was working regular hours.
Speaker 3: I still have to go to school and everything. But so it must have been some version of that that I had. Yeah, but I never have to go in front of a judge or do any of that kind of stuff. Are you sure your parents just didn't do it as your attorneys without me?
Speaker 4: Know?
Speaker 3: Who knows? Maybe I know?
Speaker 1: Maybe, Well, I'm thinking about letting Adler do it. He really wants to move to the beach, and I.
Speaker 3: That's a good idea. Can you reverse the process. Can I go back and live with my parents? Would be imedially a child? Again? Is that a thing? Is there? Demacication?
Speaker 2: I think you've done it with Sue.
Speaker 4: It's all marriage, marriage exactly, Yes, I said before a judge.
Speaker 3: I got married. There you go. I remember just being so convinced that I was fine at sixteen to be on my own. And I remember my parents asking, like fellow parents around them, like is this okay?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And now I think about it, I'm like, yeah, that is crazy talk. You're gonna let your be like even listening to your story, will I'm like, they let you move all the way across the and I mean, yes, you you'd like to think that. Well, we in our case, we were very mature and we were fined. But you're still sixteen, dude, going back crazy just thinking about the stuff that they that my parents allowed me to do, getting on the bus and going to New York City and you know, I was twelve when I started to feed that stuff. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's thank god they did, because it does. It got me where I am, and it made me the person that I am. And it's certainly coming from a small town in Connecticut and spending time even as a child in New York City sometimes by myself. What I learned more real world in the four hours I was there than anywhere else. So in certain ways it made me a much better, more well rounded, empathetic human being.
Speaker 3: In other ways, I'm like, damn on screen. Well, I mean this is like the whole thing about parenting now versus parenting in like the seventies or eighties, or when you name your previous generation, where kids were just like Linda's hitchhike, they just roamed. They just do whatever they need to do to get around.
Speaker 1: And Jensen Carr, husband of this podcast, used to go on vacation to Vegas with his parents and they liked to gamble. Would just give him twenty dollars and he would.
Speaker 2: Just roam the strip.
Speaker 1: He was eleven, Yeah, and he just right, he'd find an arcade.
Speaker 3: I was giving knives and told to you know, hang out, what's exactly we had guns and knives in the wood.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I wasn't allowed to watch nine O two one. Oh, so we're all the same here, We're all the same. I wasn't allowed to do absolutely. I was allowed to do absolutely nothing.
Speaker 3: And but here's the thing. But here, here's here's the thing that you know that interests me as a parent raising my kid because like obviously, like you know, because my wife, my wife never had child seats. She didn't even wear they didn't even wear like no, but she remembers like her mom got into an accident and they slid under the seat, like because none of the kids were wearing you know, it's like a giant station, right, it was the seventies, Like that's what you did. And so you think, like, okay, so we mitigate risk by you know, child seats, not letting our kids roam in cities or whatever. But then all of our children are more anxious out, they're scared, they don't grow up as fast. And it's like, okay, at what point do you say the trade off is it you take the risk you allow your kids to go somewhere where that you know, yes, they might get card if in the one in a million two million chants that there's a serial killer out kidnapping children right now in your neighbor. You know, but like that's really but the risk is if if the bad thing happens, it's awful, right, But of course, but the chances of the bad thing happen really are not that high.
Speaker 4: So it's also with anxieties, like you mentioned anxiety, kids being more anxious. The perfect example is we we have reversed what it should be. As somebody who deals with anxiety, one of the ways you deal with anxiety is by confronting the fear. Right, you don't make the world safer and put yourself in the middle of the danger.
Speaker 2: And how do you learn that you're capable.
Speaker 1: You find yourself in situations where you have to prove that you're capable, and then you go, oh, I actually can do this.
Speaker 4: I don't like flying, so flying makes me nervous, so I fly for a living. Now, well what was I going to do? Go no, sorry, I can't do any of this work.
Speaker 3: I had to fly.
Speaker 4: So I just kept flying, and now I'm okay with lying. There's a certain thing, you know, people who are gorophobic. It's not that people, well, well, now we can get everything delivered to the house.
Speaker 3: That's not good going out to the grocery store. Shopping is what you need to do.
Speaker 4: So it's you know, the the you know, everybody wants the world wrapped in bubble wrapped now, and that's exactly the opposite. To help with anxiety, you need to be out with the sharp knives and everything.
Speaker 3: That's all just anxiety, just like right, you want it just makes you a better person to be exposed to different types of people, different you know, Like that's what you know. You guys have given a crap before in conversations about me being like, you know, anti one big box store shopping or like malls, because I believe that the friction of like going to a market, having to go to different stores, having to meet different people, or you know, those challenges are good for us, and we have to secure so many of them. But costcos hot dogs are amazed. Look, I mean I just order everything on Amazon, which is the worst of the world exactly. You lack of human contact or experience, and it's so bad.
Speaker 4: I don't have children, so I I you know, I know that I'm the person without kids that gives opinions like these, But it seems to me that kids today don't know.
Speaker 3: How to lose at anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything has to be perfect and when the smallest little thing happens, they melt down. And back in the day, you're talking about the seventies. If we played a soccer game a baseball game and we lost, you didn't get a trophy. Somebody came up to you and went, we're gonna work harder and next year we're going to try to do better.
Speaker 3: That's how you did it.
Speaker 4: Learning how to lose was so much more important than learning how to win. And if you're still going, hey man, great job, here's a medal. You struck out and ran to third, well, then you're never going to know how to actually play baseball. So it's you know, there's there's a balance to all this stuff. But again, the easiest way for me.
Speaker 1: Was just going to We lost writer with the sports ball, so.
Speaker 3: Oh we did.
Speaker 4: Sorry, what you're talking about, we'll get into it because in this in one of the episodes, he's got a great sports ball reference, and I'll guarantee he has no idea.
Speaker 5: What he's says.
Speaker 1: Not a cl not a few was talking about Welcome to Pod Meets World.
Speaker 2: I'm Daniel Fischel, I'm Rider Strong, and I'm Wilfredell.
Speaker 1: Pod Meets World is coming to Philadelphia. Did you really think we wouldn't visit the home of the Matthews. This one is going to be very special. It is our thirtieth anniversary Spectacular on September thirtieth at the Met with special guests.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: Pre sale starts August third at ten am Eastern with code Philly that's p h I L L Y, and then general public sales start Friday, August fourth at ten am Eastern. You can also go to Podmeetsworldshow dot com to get tickets and see more information. So Today's episode, Season three, episode four, He Said, She Said? Air date October twentieth, nineteen ninety five. The synopsis Sean is forced to visit with a guidance counselor after continually skipping class and misinterprets her advice and decides to drop out, catch a bus, and set out to find himself. Also, we have a bully standoff. I feel like the title of this show is very misleading.
Speaker 3: Made no sense. When I started, I was like, wait, didn't I already watch this one because we had done Corey saying I Love you and her and Topenga not saying it back. I was like, that's the title. No, no, no, he's totally different. Yeah, So who is it?
Speaker 2: In reference to the guidance counselor is it so?
Speaker 3: She said, I went to Europe, and.
Speaker 2: I went to Europe and.
Speaker 4: Tony is it supposed to be? Tony said one thing, and she said something else. He said, she said, is.
Speaker 5: That supposed to be?
Speaker 1: To be honest, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't either. Did you like the episode?
Speaker 2: There were so many storylines.
Speaker 3: This is a weird episode. To me, it was a weird episode.
Speaker 2: There was no conclusion to one of the storylines.
Speaker 5: It happens to you.
Speaker 4: One of the weirdest endings we've ever had too in the show.
Speaker 2: We let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure, I'm I'm truly I haven't really settled in with how I feel about the episode.
Speaker 2: It's just odd.
Speaker 3: It just felt agreed, agree.
Speaker 1: Feel like there was a lot going on and maybe this needed to be really more yeah, rewritten and maybe some of the Wow. Producer Jensen Carr, husband of this podcast, just wrote one of my favorites for the record, weird.
Speaker 3: I think, I mean, I think I think this was a lot of like ideas kind of crammed into one. So like I especially like the bully storyline. It just felt like a different show, totally, a different episode. Does anybody really care about this anymore? Do you know? But our writers did, We obviously did, and I think in the long term maybe the fans do too. Yes, but it feels a little long winded together, felt.
Speaker 1: Like that should have been the B storyline of a different episode, and instead it was maybe the B or C storyline of this episode.
Speaker 2: There were there were a couple.
Speaker 3: So I'll tell you what. I think. The problem is just a lack of Corey. It just doesn't around maybe maybe storyline and that's weeded, like Ben is so lost in this episode, and it doesn't feel you know, it's it's it's it's sort of like a reiteration of the Sean stuff, which we've kind of already covered pretty extensively. So I think that that having the Shawn storyline is the A storyline. It's just a little old at this point already. I've run away so many times.
Speaker 4: It is getting a little repetitive at this point. Now you're just running away with more expensive sets. Yeah, where it's like okay, that's like yeah, now now he's running to a place we've never seen before and Seawann's leaving again. Okay.
Speaker 1: It does get a little much So this episode was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Jeff Manel guest starring Alex d. Sairah as Eli Williams. The return of Danny McNulty is Harvey Harley Kiner, this is his last ever episode of Boy Meets World. Blake Soaper as Joseph Joey the Rat Epstein, Ethan Sipple is Frankie Stacchino, another return, and the final episode of Adam Scott as it is Griff Hawkins.
Speaker 4: It is it is his last one. I thought so, I thought so yep.
Speaker 3: So this was just the end of the Leader of the Bullies, right.
Speaker 1: They basically were like, we're going to keep having Frankie and Joey back, but we need to acknowledge that they.
Speaker 2: Are no longer going to have a leader.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: So that's what I think the real importance.
Speaker 3: Was, because Griff is a great character, he's a great kill.
Speaker 1: He may have been working, he may have, you know, he may have already started doing other stuff, and.
Speaker 3: Just numbers came. They're just adding.
Speaker 4: Just keep in mind we also have alex Is on the show as as you know, semi regular now, and I think they're they're swapping.
Speaker 3: So really the whole point of this episode is to trim characters correct, to pull back from where we went in the second season, and to trim it back to you know, some of scal elaments that's interesting.
Speaker 4: Which is so strange that they want to bring Danny back to kind of wrap up his character story when they just replaced him with a different actor.
Speaker 1: I think that was probably an extension, like their way. He had probably gotten out of the hospital. He was obviously out of the hospital at this point, and they looked at it as being maybe, yes, as a you know, a out of respect to Danny who had to leave in the middle of an episode, let's bring him back and tie up this storyline. And you know, I feel they probably did feel like the last one, just replacing him felt disrespectful and they didn't want to end on that note.
Speaker 4: By the way, I had lunch with David Kendall yesterday and we specifically talked about the you know, replacing Danny and Danny at the table read and how he didn't remember it and what he was looking back at his notes and what he thinks happened is he was sent to Lake Placid early for the Nancy Carrigan stuff and wasn't actually there.
Speaker 3: He wasn't there for.
Speaker 5: The table read right, Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And then we have Amy Leland as Devin Collins and Carmen Philpy.
Speaker 2: As quote unquote bum.
Speaker 1: He is a legendary character actor who and you will know when you see him. He mostly played bums or drunk or old guy. He has one hundred and six credits on IMDb before his passing in two thousand and three. I know this is more detail than we usually give four guest stars, but please indulge me here with some of the King's highlights.
Speaker 2: Okay, he played a drunk.
Speaker 1: On Rohda, a bum on Barney Miller, bum in Escape from New York, bum on Silver Spoons, bus station, bum on The Sure Thing, panhandler on Cagney and Lacy Street, bum number one in Who's That Girl Now. The role he is most famous for, which is the roadkill postal messenger in Beetlejuice, a famous Halloween costume even He was old Man Withers in Wayne's World, Whino in Parker Lewis Can't Lose, and the same role Whino in Sister Sister. He was old man in bar in wedding singer, old Guy in Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and he voiced homeless Guy in Eight Crazy Nights. He is a total legend.
Speaker 3: What an amazing thing to be. No, like, you just you give good bum so Jim, So we're just gonna make you a home our go to a alcoholic homeless guy in everything, And once you get known for that and you're good at it, that's all you do.
Speaker 2: And by the way, what a career.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he was on everything. He's on everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, I mean, it's just yeah, he's a legend.
Speaker 3: Do you know. We talked about like how you have to like find your zero as an actor, you know, like what does your presence just say about the world.
Speaker 2: He got up on stage and everyone yelled bum at him.
Speaker 3: Yea exactly. You just look at him and you're like, okay, yeah, he's a b.
Speaker 4: This is a man who cannot drink a cup of coffee without somebody walking by and dropping change into it.
Speaker 3: It's like, dude, give me zero zero.
Speaker 4: But again, he is one of those actors that has been around forever, has been on every legendary show, and almost no one knows his name. He's one of those things exactly. It's incredible unsung heroes.
Speaker 1: If you check his IMDb you'll see it many a times. So to jump into our recap school hallway, mister Feoene walks in holding two large gift baskets and he hands one to Eli at school now known as mister Williams.
Speaker 2: Mister Williams things.
Speaker 1: Phoene is giving him the gift basket, but Phoene says they're just from seniors who are trying to get college recommendations. Phoenie is just having Eli take them to his car. Eli says it's good to be you, isn't it, But Phoene says he gives it to the homeless shelters, and then Eli says right and walks off. And then mister Phoenie yells drop that mango man. And it reminded me of when Alex said that that was one of Bill's that he says that to himself sometimes, like to get into character.
Speaker 3: The second I heard, I was like, yes, that's right, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I didn't hear it as I didn't.
Speaker 3: Hear that's right.
Speaker 2: Only he has one.
Speaker 1: Later that to me is a more much more memorable, so you'll talk about huh. Yeah, the delivery of the other one, the one that we have in the future, to me was so much more.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I just it felt more Bill, it felt more special.
Speaker 1: This kind of felt to me like just a pretty basic line reading, but obviously to everyone else it really was very memorable. So Eric walks up, saying, boy, what some kids will go to to get into college. Huh.
Speaker 2: Phoene tells him to save his money.
Speaker 1: There is no fruit basket big enough to sway him, and Eric says that's the furthest thing from his mind. And Phoene says, right there next to your school work in a great, great sweater.
Speaker 3: At the bottom of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like the it's like Charlie Brown, but they moved this the Charlie Brown asked, Yet.
Speaker 5: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Then we're in Turner's classroom. Phoene walks in and sees that Corey is holding a giant papaya. Phoene asks him where he got the papaya, and Corey, confused, says from home, but Phoene says he has his eye on him.
Speaker 2: Phoene tells Turner that she.
Speaker 3: Missed secret or a little scene, did you guy toll? So the point is that Phoene assumes he stole it from the basket gift basket, got it from a gift basket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And also if he is bringing it from home, a papaya's work.
Speaker 3: This is not an apple. You just don't bite into a papaya. It's it takes some prep.
Speaker 5: I know it, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's a reach to bring a papaya anywhere. I'm not really.
Speaker 4: Especially in Philadelphia. There's not a lot of kids in Philadelphia. I think walking to school with a full papaya.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure. I'm not sure what's happening.
Speaker 3: I think it's the word papaya they like hearing over and over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Phoene tells Turner that Sean missed his history test this morning. Corey tries to cover for him by saying Sean has a severe case of and he can't finish his sentence and he asks Feoene for help, and Phoene just says sloth, and Corey says, yes, Hong Kong sloth. But Turner is frustrated and he walks out to go find Sean and Phoene says not your best work to Corey. Then we are in Turner's apartment. Turner goes back to his apartment. He apparently just leaves school in the middle of the day.
Speaker 3: Is it the middle?
Speaker 4: So this is I thought the same thing because the way they cut it together or wrote it is very odd. Because Turner walks out, He's like, yes, okay, I can't believe he did that, and then it cuts his apartment. So either he waited till the end of the day in school's over and he's like, you didn't go to school at all today, or he did just bail mid day.
Speaker 2: I think the implication is that he leaves right.
Speaker 3: Then and there, Yeah, he went to go.
Speaker 1: He went to go, so but like Corey was in the seat, so was hurry waiting for class.
Speaker 4: I think he.
Speaker 3: Probably taught his class. And then Sarah looks at rather than going to the calf, he runs home. Can we talk about I believe that Sean is now influencing mister Turner's fashion choices because of this lovely vest that I don't think Tony has worn a vest yet.
Speaker 2: I don't think so either, so now, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Kind of joking, but I also think that that's something that Sarah Markowitz would.
Speaker 2: Is I totally agree with you, Like, now.
Speaker 3: Other characters are going to start to resemble one another, yes, and we're depose and closet, and we're just going to give Turner a little bit of a nod like he and Sean are are similar types.
Speaker 1: Because also the ties are calming down. They're still there, but they're not white as mold. Yeah, yeah, so you know, I think you're right. I think I think that that may have been a Sarah Markowitz thought that, like who influences who in this relationship? Right?
Speaker 3: But then when he goes at the apartment, he's wearing a leather jacket, right, which is gonna you know, it brings up the leather jacket, which shows up again on Hardly What is going on? Everyone's got it.
Speaker 1: Turner goes back to his apartment to find Sean sitting on the couch ordering Forrest Gump on pay per view. Turner says, you missed another day of school. Oh, you miss another day of school? You are Forrest Gump. Sean says he seems to be doing well for himself, and then when Turner tells Sean he missed his history test, Sean says, oh, that worked out, which, as I thought, was cute. You didn't skip school because you knew there was a history tested just conveniently. Turner says he is too much going on to try and figure Sean out, so he's going to send him to see the guidance counselor tomorrow. Sean says his people are celebrating a very important holiday tomorrow, and when Turner asks what people he's referring to, Sean says, they're staying.
Speaker 5: Home tomorrow to come up with a name.
Speaker 3: Good her name.
Speaker 2: Do you remember this robe, writer, because I remember this roe.
Speaker 3: No, I mean I remember it because I've already worn it in a previous episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the episode when you stumble out of the Turner's apartment wearing the robe to school and I remember the robe though. I think this robe sticks with you for the rest of the show.
Speaker 4: I think it does too, because.
Speaker 2: Sean is it's so great. I want it now.
Speaker 3: It's a great rope.
Speaker 2: So then we're in the school hallway Corey and Sean, who is back in your Heart Atlas shirt but now also in camo pants and a cool button up. I like this fit. It's a little match, but I like it. Camera pans are off. Yeah, cameo bans are aful, but you pull it off.
Speaker 1: I actually like, if you're gonna wear camo pants, I like wearing camo pants with a totally totally weird like button up that doesn't go with it. I like, I like, at least making it kind of weird and funky like that. So they are discussing Corey telling Feenie and Turner he had Hong Kong sloth. Sean is disappointed in that. Sean says, no, matter what, with this guidance counselor, he will not waste an hour of his life listening to a bald headed, long winded leisure suit wearing up set up.
Speaker 3: I had no recollection of this recollection of this actress of this episode. I actually, once I got to the bus station, I was like, oh, right, I remember that Sean had tried to run away at one point. I remembered, like, yeah, I think that's right, that I ended up at a bus station. But no recollection of working with this woman who's lovely and this whole county. Sure, but I don't don't. Yeah, So this feels Yeah, this episode felt rushed to me for some reason.
Speaker 2: Well, because there's so many things going on.
Speaker 3: Yeahah yeah, so uh.
Speaker 1: Then Devin Collins, the beautiful new guidance counselor who looks nothing like what Shawn described, walks over, excited to have her name on a door.
Speaker 2: Guess what her office is? The bathroom slash feene office rotating door. We have yet another thing for this door to be.
Speaker 4: Actually, it's not what And later in the episode they prove it.
Speaker 2: Oh because they go out of a different hallway. Well kind of, no, they aren't. They're in the same hallway.
Speaker 3: They're in the same hallway.
Speaker 4: But I can now the way they set it up, they definitely make it so that this is a different floor.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Really yes, and we can talk about it now. We can talk about it then, because it was a big thing. I was like, oh, they just solved it right there.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, let's see. Let's let's wait till we get there and then you can explain to us how this is.
Speaker 2: Actually a tower.
Speaker 3: Yep, okay.
Speaker 1: So Corey and Sean are shocked. She's the new guidance counselor. Sean introduces himself and says, guide me. She looks like she's Eric's age. By the way, It's like, I love how mister Williams wasn't quite young enough. We're just gonna bring in yet another young teacher until eventually we have boss baby in here and that.
Speaker 3: Becomes exactly This was clearly a note that they're still responding to of like making more twenty something friendly, give meets world that like friends style edge because she's she never came back though, did she know? I think so? But they're clearly testing out the waters of like because I mean it's true we don't have I mean, and now that miss Tompkins has gone from season two, we don't have a female teacher presence, like you know, we like we've got Feenie, mister Williams, mister Turner, and I think that they were probably like, oh, we should probably have a female you know, teacher. They put her in the here, and I don't think it quite you.
Speaker 4: Know, Betsy, Betsy's normally the only woman on the show, and then occasionally they bring Daniell in. I mean, that was like, that's what the first season or two were about. So yeah, they need more women. So yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Eric gives Griff, who looks much older. I thought Adam, he's got.
Speaker 3: Y. Yeah, it happens, but it.
Speaker 4: Was it was Yeah, he looked now started to look like he was in his mid twenties.
Speaker 1: Always yea, he looked a little older, and Frankie money for Feeney's stationary to write his own recommendation letter on. Frankie keeps asking griff and if he can pat Eric down. Eric asks how they got the stationary and Frankie say says, let's just say it fell off a truck. Eric then asks for a foene envelope and Frankie Frankie slyly looks at a mini notebook.
Speaker 5: And says Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Joey appears and acts startled to see Griff, who says that whenever he sees Joey he thinks of small doses. Joey runs over to tell Frankie he was surfing the internet verbally pounding on people when he got a message from Harley on the net. He's known Carl Kind and he told Joey he's getting out of reform school. He thinks he's graduating.
Speaker 4: Joe question, Yeah, is this the first ever boy meets world internet joke?
Speaker 2: I think it is, and Joe five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's nineteen ninety five. This is like, I think the first Internet joke for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really is? I mean I can't remember another one. Yeah, I guess so. And he's talked about it Internet for handling that was that was just on a computer.
Speaker 2: It was just on the computer. Yeah, it's just the newspaper.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I never made a residence like email or I don't think so. I think this is it. This is the Did you guys have an email addresses by then?
Speaker 2: I don't think in ninety five I did. I think it wasn't.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe I did.
Speaker 3: I might have. Still I had remember that this was like the era of like there was the World Wide Web, but then there were like the Internet services that you would pay for like Prodigy aol oh yeah, and then I my family had Genie, which was like General Electrics messageboard or whatever, right, And so there would be those subcommunities like chatrooms and message boards on those servers, and then like maybe you could send emails to like other people who were in other services, but it would you would have to like write certain codes on the top of your email in order for it to go from one server to another. It was like a big deal. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I was a part of Celebrity Sightings at the time, and so we had email addresses through that as.
Speaker 3: Celebrity side Celebrity.
Speaker 1: Celebrity Sidings was like truly it was way before its time, but it was a celebrity based website where nineties kid stars. So Candice Cameron was a part of it. I was a part of it. Jody was a part of it. Tian Tamara were part of it. Jonathan Taylor Thomas was a part of it. Where you are, there's chat rooms and we were all assigned chat room names that had the equivalent of a blue check mark next to them, and then people paid to be a part of that service where we had like office hours where we would go in and chat with.
Speaker 2: People and based on facing access fan access.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like the very girl, I don't even remember it doesn't I don't feel like I did.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like I did like nowadays. Yeah, but back then, it was the idea that would just be good publicity.
Speaker 1: For you, for you, and then they did dup like promotional stuff for you. They paid for your photo shoots and so you got like, I'm pretty sure they had something to do with my calendar that I did, and like you know, they there was there was that kind of stuff, but I was it was way before its time. But I was a part of celebrity sightings and I talked about it and like interviews and there are truth. This is so crazy. I still talk to somebody I met on series. Yes, really he wasn't.
Speaker 5: He was a troll.
Speaker 2: His name, his username was herk Jason.
Speaker 1: He's gonna die when hears me talking about him, and he was kind of like he was trying to dox me back in the day. Back he was like able. He was like, I know, I'm going to find out your address. And my mom ended up my mom was a part of it too, and she had a user name where everyone knew it was really my mom, and my mom ended up starting this conversation with him that was like, why are you doing this? This is actually a dangerous thing and if you're looking for attention, this isn't the way to get attention. And he ended up basically feeling very bad and apologizing And still to this day, we are in communication with Jason and I had him in real life. No, I've never I've never met him face to face but I've we've seen pictures of each other, obviously seen pictures of me. He's uh, I've seen pictures of him on the internet, and he sends pictures of his family to my mom. He's actually closer with my mom than he is with me. And yeah, it's so anyway, pretty I.
Speaker 3: Have never in my life been in a chat room.
Speaker 4: Wow, not one single time have I seen land experience back then.
Speaker 3: So I used to go on to movie chat rooms all the time. Back then that was like that, this was like sounds going. I'd go on to like you know, and I remember getting into like big debates about like what movies were getting nominated for Academy Award and and then somebody realizing that I was only thirteen fourteen, and you were just like discounting, condescending and being you know, because it was probably some forty year old dude that I was debating with and he was like, wait, your opinion doesn't count. I remember being so angry. That's probably the last time I was in a chat room because I remember just being like, this doesn't make any sense. And then and then.
Speaker 2: I used to do aol oh yeah, a messenger, Remember you were away?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I was so into aim. You had away message BRB and.
Speaker 3: Wown't know any of where people would post things about, like you know, your communities, community boards like message boards, and then I would do interviews or like ask basically the equivalent of like ask me anythings on AOL, Like they would schedule a thing and I would go on and fans would log in. Yeah, which is totally a reddit asked me anything. But back in the day, but yeah, well will you never had computers at all, Like I had a laptop, do you guys? Remember I had a laptop.
Speaker 4: You had Remember you were like your laptop thousands more than that seven I thought.
Speaker 3: I thought you spent seven grand on your lab. On your lab, it was an IBM think Pad, which was like a revolutionary Apple revolutionary computer at the time because it was just the most powerful laptop you could get in nineteen ninety four, I guess. And it had this like mouse. The whole the revolution was that had this little like eracer tip mouse in the middle of the yesive, oh my god, you introduced me to Wolfenstein, and you introduced me to Civilization. Civilization three the greatest I remember that. Yes, those were five dollars computer.
Speaker 1: Well, we learned from Adam Scott that he used to go visit all of the chatrooms that talked about him, so yes, those were those were good times, guys, good time. So Joey says he's sneaking out in a shipment of laundry next week, and he is worried, but Frankie says Griff and Harley are going to meet, and then they will, and then he eventually realizes though, this is actually going to be bad and there will probably be an issue between Harley and Griff. And then we're in the guidance counselor's office and Miss Collins asks Sean about what his previous guidance counselor had said, but Sean says this is his first time. Miss Collins says, really mine too, and then realizes she probably shouldn't have said that out loud. Miss Collins opens Shawn's file and says wow. But Sean says he'll savor the time and they can skip to the part where she tells him education is the key to a happy and successful life. She asks if that's what she's supposed to say, and Sean says, well, that's what everyone else says, but Miss Collins says that growing up, her parents always talked about the three m's, money.
Speaker 2: Marriage, and mortgage.
Speaker 1: Sean says his dad always talked about the three babes, Babes, Bucks and Bruce Keys Babe.
Speaker 4: It was always so fun to do an impression of Blake. We would always do that. Hey like all that.
Speaker 3: That was great.
Speaker 2: Sean says.
Speaker 1: Chet was the philosopher of the trailer park and would always say one man's septic tank is another man's oasis, but he never understood what that meant. Miss Collins tries to take a guess and says, maybe Chet was trying to say what's good for one person doesn't hold for everyone. Sean says he all always knew high school wasn't for everyone because not everyone will end up in college, and Miss Collins says she felt the same way and hated the idea of college, so she took a year and traveled around Europe. She did end up in college, but she needed to learn about herself first. And then she sits on the desk in front of him like a real weirdo.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree. It was so the whole thing was vaguely sexual, it's not vaguely it's like we're flirting. I mean, I think that's the point of this storyline, or the intention of the storyline, is that she is young and inexperienced and doesn't realize that she the power essentially or for stepping her bounds. Yeah, you know, but I kind of wish it went there more fully. Like the storyline that we did where the tutor flirted with you will that made it like a real It kind of was the same storyline, right, it was like she was overstepping her bounds because she was attracted to you, and and like this is kind of the same thing, but it doesn't quite go there enough to me, Like she doesn't she doesn't ever realize like, oh, I shouldn't have Like it becomes this whole thing like, oh, she shouldn't have said the thing about Europe. But the reality is she shouldn't have probably like admitted that she was her first time, and she shouldn't have kind of flirted with Sean. Did you think that she was flirting?
Speaker 2: No, it's not clear enough flirting exactly.
Speaker 1: I don't think the writers intended for this to have a sexual current, but it does.
Speaker 2: And I feel like writer you're you're right.
Speaker 1: It should have been more on either side, whether they wanted it to be more sexual than they could have pushed it that way, or if they really did not want it to be. It should have been more like if she kind of preoccupies herself with something else and goes off on a tangent about her own life and then goes sarry, but this isn't about me, this is about you, and she doesn't realize that by talking about her own experience, she's made Sean think maybe that's the experience I need.
Speaker 6: It should have been a little bit more clear. I think the idea is that she's too inexperiencing young, so she makes a mistake and and as more like on Shawn's level than on Turners or you know, like horror penies. And I think that that's a cool storyline. It just needed a little bit more development, like yeah, she you know, she like Actually what should have happened is that Sean interprets it as flirting even though it's not, you know, like she doesn't need and he reads it because he does.
Speaker 3: In the beginning, he's like, oh, she's she's hot, Like we established it, like she's attracted to her, and then in this scene she's kind of you know, and yet Seawan doesn't react like Seawn isn't really like, oh, the Austin guidance counselor told me to go show us to be there.
Speaker 4: I don't either, And this is it shows the power of blocking because she gets it changed. She gets up from behind the desk and sits in front of him and crosses her legs and it changes totally. Just keep her behind the desk and it's a whole different scene. Yes, keep It has the power of blocking, it really is.
Speaker 3: But that's all intentional, man, I mean that, Like, clearly they watched run throughs where this happened, and when that's the ride we want, we want her to be like basic overstepping bounds. But then to not reference it within the writing or the actual storyline, to me is a huge mistake because it just ends up being this ambiguously weird moment that it's not the last. This entire show ends.
Speaker 4: On a really weird moment with her, which Will agreed we will talk about that as well, I know.
Speaker 1: So then we're in the school hallway, mister Williams asks Foene for a favor. He wants Phoene's help for a practice public service announcement in his TV production class. Phoenie says he's busy, but Eli boughters him up by saying the students think he would make the perfect narrator. Phoene rethinks his answer and says he doesn't want to disappoint the students. Eli hands him the script and Phoenie rolls his eyes and asks if Eli is married to any of this, before pulling out a pen to make changes to the script, which I think is a very funny Fioene thing to do.
Speaker 3: Every tiny little choice Bill makes.
Speaker 4: I know, son, it's so good, and he whatever you give him, he's awesome at it.
Speaker 3: And you just he's on such another level than everybody else that you're watching, just these little things that he's doing, when you're like, well, that was perfect, well, that was perfect. Well that happens.
Speaker 1: Is also such a great partner for him, because Alex's confidence up against him is so wonderful.
Speaker 4: It's great, and the two of them together are are really awesome on tape.
Speaker 3: But man Bill's choices are just perfect perfect.
Speaker 1: So Joey and Frankie are trying to plan Harley's return and then Harley shows up behind them. A week early, Harley and his lackeys are together again and Danny looks great. He does it was nice to see you see him again. He didn't skip a beat.
Speaker 4: He looks great, commanded the scene once again, wearing my leather jacket.
Speaker 3: Wear your wearing my leather jacket.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Corey comes out of class gossiping with other students, saying Harley coming back as a rumor and there is a better chance of Corey running into the loch Ness Monster.
Speaker 3: You glad you said. I have an underline.
Speaker 4: It wasn't the best monster, it was the mess monster.
Speaker 3: My note was Ben is in the show.
Speaker 2: Oh there's a boy named Ben Savage on this show.
Speaker 3: Lock ns.
Speaker 4: So this time they're doing it differently though, where the person is behind him and.
Speaker 2: He doesn't he backs up exactly.
Speaker 4: It's a new thing they're doing into him, Yes, comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a whole new thing where he doesn't know he's there, and he's talking bad about him and he calls him a grease ball. Then Harley grabs him by the neck, shocking to shocking to Corey that Harley is really there. Harley smirks and asks babboon if he got the threatening letters he sent, and I when he said baboon, I got all warm and fuzzy inside.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ben's Ben's reading of his line too is pretty hysterical.
Speaker 1: And now I'm in scott exactly so funny. Corey thanks him for the letters, apologizes for not responding, hands Harley his wallet and he leaves, and then Joey's pager is beeping. He pretends not to hear it, and Frankie says Griff is paging them. When Harley asks who Griff is, Joey plays dumb, but Harley insists on knowing who Griff is. Joey explain he's a leader. They met on the rebound and it's nothing serious. Frankie says he should meet Griff, and Harley says he'll meet him tomorrow at noon in the hallway and maybe he'll find out his blood type.
Speaker 3: Blood blood I am meeting to fight in the middle of the hallway, in.
Speaker 2: The middle of the day.
Speaker 3: I listen.
Speaker 1: I just hope he's the universal blood type, which we all know what that is.
Speaker 2: Of course, exactly.
Speaker 5: Who knows.
Speaker 1: Frankie lovingly pushes Joey and says, and you were worried not picking up that this will indeed be a problem. And then we're in Chubbies weird five am. Why are you guys allowed in there? It's not open yet. There's a man cleaning behind you. Why didn't this Why didn't this scene take place in the in the backyard where has to meet you?
Speaker 2: Downstairs?
Speaker 1: Why didn't you climb up the tree and go into Corey's bedroom? Why is this happening here?
Speaker 3: I have no idea since meeting outside of the bus station. It's like, if I'm asking Worry to come meet me somewhere, I'm going to the bus station like and it doesn't make any sense and done, and then I'm waking him up. I the way that I can think is, here's what probably happened. This scene should take place in the boys bedroom where I come in, I sneak into the window and I wake Cory up. And I think what happened is because we had the bus station swing set they had to use, they took the space that was the boy's bedroom. So the boy's bedroom got taken away for the week. And then they were like, oh wait, but we had to have him waking Cory up for the no clown no joke, which they loved and we repeated a bunch throughout the years. So like they just got married to a scene that they couldn't adjust, and we still have the chubby Center're like, we'll just put him in Chubbies.
Speaker 2: But you're because why not just meet at the train station?
Speaker 3: Might not meeting because then you'd have to have an exterior train station or have me inside the train station in the same the next I don't know, it doesn't make any sense because.
Speaker 1: Right that is the that is the only thing that makes sense is that this swing set took up the space of where the boy's bedroom was, and.
Speaker 3: This whole scene should be me sneaking into the window waking Corey up to say I'm running away. I'll see you later. Because in the next scene is him going into the kitchen. It's like it doesn't Yeah, it would have been doesn't normal, but we didn't have that set.
Speaker 4: It would have been really interesting though, to have it in like the treehouse, Yeah, sure, because it's the juxtaposition of I'm an adult but you're in a kid's treehouse at four o'clock in the mark something there that would have been great.
Speaker 3: We never utilized the Treehouse enough and then never comes back to it. It's a plummer.
Speaker 1: No, you see it more than just in the pilot. You see it a couple of times, but I think only two times. Yeah, it's not a lot, and I do love I love the I love the Treehouse.
Speaker 3: Left.
Speaker 1: So, Corey is sleeping in a booth at Chubby's where he agreed to meet Sean at five am. Don't know why you guys are allowed in there, It's so weird. But so he wakes up Corey and Corey is yelling no clown, no, Sean joke.
Speaker 3: Back so many times.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 3: I think we bring it back in like season six and so yeah, no, I think it's an running thing. Yeah right.
Speaker 1: So Sean tells Corey he wanted to meet early to say bye before he left. Cory says bye and puts his head back down to go back to sleep, but Sean is serious he's leaving town. Cory says he knows what this is. Today is Miss Burnbaum's test, and considering Sean has never met Miss Burnbomb, he's ditching school. Sean says it has nothing to do with school. He's going to travel to get to know himself. Because he can't be happy in school if he's not happy with himself. He says a idea from his guy character the.
Speaker 3: Jacket here, I do like hunting jacket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well the thing across the back.
Speaker 3: He's fantastic, fantastic. And this is, you know, obviously because Harley is back and took my jacket jackets. But in retrospect, this I would have liked to.
Speaker 2: I agree, this is more of a.
Speaker 3: Rider jacket than a Sean jacket, right, I would totally wear this jacket.
Speaker 2: This jacket is amazing.
Speaker 3: I like the jacket more of the time. In another episode, I remember commenting on it and I in the living room. I was wearing it for something, probably because again Harley had the leather jacket that episode. But yeah, I don't think we ever see this jacket again.
Speaker 4: So I like the jacket more than I like the storyline, because again it's like, oh, Sewn's running away again, Like, okay, we're seeing and kind of putting Corey on the spot again. Hey, I'm using our friendship for me, please cover for me. And I'm kind of like I'm starting not to like I'm a little bit with that kind of storyline stuff where it's like, how many times can we do the same thing? He's running away and he's putting Corey on the spot to do it. It's like, okay, let's can we can we move on from this already? So yeah, that one that kind of threw me a bit.
Speaker 3: And it's also a little bizarre to offload, like the reason that Shawn is making this choice is because of a guidance counselor character we've never established before this episode. Like it would have been great to me, It would have made perfect sense for like Turner to have made a comment child or like yeah, or mister Williams, somebody who we've already established, who's like part of their community, who then gives this miss you know, this bad advice or this advice that they think is good that then Sean misinterprets, because then it feels like the culpability for leading a kid astray is the community's responsibility, as it is, we just have to purge this bad guidance counselor woman. Yeah right, you know, And it's like, oh, she just gave crappy advice, and it's like that there's no consequences of that that matter to our viewers. You imagine with him and Alex.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say me and Alex, Raffeni kind of says to Alex, you have to understand the power of being a teacher.
Speaker 3: Yes, like the power that you hold is would be They were just like if we need a more females, you know that. We just think they probably were just like getting network notes, like you can't just have the same characters. Let's shake it up, but bye bye. But by exporting that that sort of storyline to ann quantity an unknown character, it really takes away the value of it. This episode becomes like a romp, like a one off, as opposed to an essential, you know, development of the the main Cares characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Turner doesn't know, and Sean wants Corey to cover for him.
Speaker 6: Again.
Speaker 1: He tells Corey he's never been this excited or ready for anything in his whole life, and then he asks Cory for a few bucks, which I thought is a very cute, such a kid thing, Mom, I'm really capable of this.
Speaker 2: Can I have ten dollars?
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Corey tries to stop him, but Sean says, if you he's really his friend, he'll let him go.
Speaker 5: And then again I just wrote.
Speaker 2: Why did the stan have to take place here?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 1: I'm just confused by all of that. Okay, then we are back in the Matthew's kitchen. Eric is forging a letter of recommendation for college on a typewriter. Eric is really really really smart and really really really nice and a really really really good for your school.
Speaker 4: I love it. It's funny. But again, why not do this bedroom's gone? Because why not?
Speaker 3: Why would be in it like in some sort of private instead of you know.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right on the bedroom mount.
Speaker 4: The bedroom's gone. That's got to be what it is, right, You're right, writer, it's got to.
Speaker 3: Be that because it's men.
Speaker 1: He signs this really really really good letter from George Millhouse Millhouse. He doesn't know how to spell principle, so he signs it off as head guy, head.
Speaker 3: Guy to the men. All that we know of do we ever learn? Feeni, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Send your emails to Daniel Fisher. I don't know, writer. We will find out for right now, it's Millhouse.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: Alan comes down to see Eric working early, asking why he's not using a computer. Eric says, it's a paper on the all mission. It just seemed wrong to use a computer, and Amy comes in and sees him working on the typewriter and asks if he put a waffle in the computer. Again, So I didn't.
Speaker 3: Remember this storyline at all. We're now officially into that.
Speaker 2: I have no idea there's a reason why you don't remember.
Speaker 3: This episode in particular is completely lack of memory for me too. I think it was. I think this was a desperate week of rewriting. I think we were like, oh sound. It was like stuff was happening all over the place. Something was weird about this episode in our real life. I don't remember what, but for some reason, it completely did not lodge in my brain either. Yeah, me neither Danielle and you weren't even there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I wasn't even there, So it's no wonder I don't I don't remember it. Corey comes home saying I can't believe he does this to me over and over again. Amy and Alan ask Corey what's wrong, but Corey says he doesn't want to talk about it. Eventually, Corey tells them it's been a rough morning. It started with a scary dream. Amy asks if it was the clowns, and then Corey says, yes, same dream, then just explains what's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But again Corey comes in.
Speaker 4: It's probably seven o'clock in the morning, and the parents says, where were you? No, Hey, why are you coming in fully dressed when we're all coming down where he originally.
Speaker 3: Came down the stairs? And then they just changed it.
Speaker 4: Maybe because he's Yeah, he just walks in early morning.
Speaker 3: Nobody says anything. It might as well be this kid's birthday.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Then Corey starts to explain what's going on with Sean, but he walks over to the phone, saying, who am I kidding? I know what I have to do. Corey says he's doing the right thing, and it's all Amy and Allan's fault because they raised him right. Corey tries calling Turner, but it's going to his machine, and now he has to listen to three minutes of Kat Stevens.
Speaker 3: Love this whole bit. I love Corey being mad at his parents for being a good person. I think that's a great dynamic star we haven't quite seen like you know, and I love playing into that. And it's and then yeah, the Cat Stevens three bites of Cat Steven's on the answer machine is great.
Speaker 2: I'm not quite funny.
Speaker 3: It's like not super mister Turner. But now I'm like, oh, this describes I guess it does.
Speaker 1: Get Yeah, So then Corey just decides to tell to tell mister Turner in person. And I really think that these little these jokes are really good, like character development jokes. The fact that we learn that Corey has a recurring dream about clowns.
Speaker 2: And then also it tells.
Speaker 1: You so much that like, he has this recurring dream about clowns and his parents are fully aware of it because he talks about it with his family, like I have this recurring dream about these clowns. They're in on it. It's like a whole family topic topic. And then he also he uh, he keeps saying, oh, who am I kidding? There's like this big who am I kidding? Thing?
Speaker 4: Uh huh. And then the cat Stevens we just got from producer Tara. According to the Internet, Poene's middle name is Hamilton.
Speaker 1: Please do not send your emails to writers.
Speaker 3: Strong Hamilton, George Hamiltons.
Speaker 1: Phoee, Okay, did you guys ever have a song on your answering machine? Heck, yes, I did, remember I don't remember what it was. But heck, yes, I used to have that outgoing song.
Speaker 3: You don't remember what it was though?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Was it doing a song?
Speaker 1: Can You used to be able to wall your phone instead of ringing, people could listen to a song?
Speaker 3: Oh really?
Speaker 1: But also different, that's that's when we had cell phones back in the answering machine days. Instead of leaving a message, you could play like a minute of a song and.
Speaker 5: It would just tell everyone what they need to.
Speaker 3: I don't think I don't think that.
Speaker 4: In my family, my father took leaving the message very seriously, and he sounded like a robot. To this day, if you call him, he goes, hello, you have reached attorney for Dell. Please leave a number. It's like, we'll are you talking to you?
Speaker 3: Still? To this day? What do you call your cell phone? Will you say? We're not home right now? I'm like, who's I'm calling you on a cell phone? It's just you, it's not But you see that a sense of like a communal It's like you've called the my parents. My parents still have an answering machine. But like will you must have been one of those who did like joke answering machine Like remember with some of the things. Some were like, hello, you got those a lot.
Speaker 1: Do you guys remember impersonation tapes you could buy for your answering machine?
Speaker 4: You have those, I do remember, And they were big around the jerky boys time boys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could put something on. Then it was like, hey, I'm not here right now, jerky like stuff like that. It was like, oh man, okay, I bought a voice changing telephone from Sharper Image they used to sell remember, of course they have a phone, and like, I somehow convinced my parents to let me buy this, Like as if the whole point wasn't prank calling all right? Well, I mean Sharper Image was just heaven on Earth when I was ten or whatever. Yeah, I somehow I remember I bought a voice changing telephone. That's all I would do is prank call people. So funs thought it was anything other than that, Like I missed radio shack.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: When you're like you need to buy batteries and like what's your phone number? Like wait, what, why why do you need that?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Amy sees the recommendation letter from Phoenie, but as Alan starts reading it, they realize Feenie didn't actually write it and Alan rips up the letter, and I'm not sure exactly when Amy realized this letter wasn't written by Phoene if she knew from the very moment she picked it up, But her face never gives off the thing of like a realization.
Speaker 2: It's a very weird bit.
Speaker 1: It feels like they never believed Feenie would have possibly written him a recommendation letter, like just from the beginning at Eric, they think Eric is just a total idiot.
Speaker 2: And then by the way, this is the end of this storyline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's done. It's done. I had to say. It's like the way that will just goes all, Like when he rips up the letter, I'm like, Kiah, but what are you going to do?
Speaker 2: Are?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems like and it seems very non boy meets World, right, because Boys World is the show where Rusty gives the good advice or Amy says that they like you have the moment where you're like okay and Eric comes around and changes his behavior.
Speaker 1: But no, this is the moment where I was like, these parents who have been stellar A plus parents up to this point, these parents are failing this child.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, thank you. So I fail though, they're.
Speaker 1: Not failing Corey, but they sure are failing Eric Matthews.
Speaker 4: And nobody has said, hey dad, where's Morgan? No, forget, they have three.
Speaker 2: Children failing a kid. They got rid of a trial.
Speaker 3: They got rid of a kid, for God's sakes.
Speaker 2: So then we are in the school hallway.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Phoene runs after Eli to say he had the best time recording his voice for the school project and he can't wait to get a copy. Eli says, the students cut him out and decided to go with Eli instead. As Eli tries to say there will be other projects, Phoene tells, you like keep your pity man, And that's the that's the one I love.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the one I love.
Speaker 1: That's the one I think has a great interesting choice of a read. That's the one that I'm like, I wonder if Alex meant to remember that one.
Speaker 3: They're talking about mangoes like mango. I remember saying.
Speaker 2: That, But is that the way he says it?
Speaker 5: Because it.
Speaker 3: Went on it because it's just we're doing an impression of somebody doing a bad impression of Daniels. That's pretty true, all right, I get it, Okay, And this is the this, This whole scene is why this episode is because it's so long. They want this face off with the bullies and it just it doesn't have anything to do with any of the other characters. But it doesn't. It's just like a fan service.
Speaker 1: Story, guidance counselor storyline. There's a fe Eli storyline, there's an Eric forging a letter storyline, and then there is a bully storyline. How many stories are in this episode.
Speaker 4: And none are really wrapped up in any way that matters. Nobody really learns much that Mattery.
Speaker 1: Can't fit an AB, A, C, and a D storyline into twenty two minutes.
Speaker 4: It's weird. It's the whole thing is weird. But this is the isn't this where this is where Tony comes out?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Corey runs into Turner's classroom, saying Sean took off and he had to tell him. Corey tells him he doesn't know where he went, but he had a meeting with the guidance counselor and then split. Turner walks out to talk to the guidance counselor to see what happened. She explains they talked about family, college and finding yourself and then says, uh oh when she realizes she mentioned her year off in Europe.
Speaker 3: This is how you know it's a different floor. Okay, So he doesn't.
Speaker 4: He walks out of the hallway and then comes from upstage and turns and walks this way. So he comes from the top of the hallway up there, walk out of his room and walk over to the door.
Speaker 3: He walks out of his.
Speaker 4: Room and then comes from upstage. There is no telephone, there is nothing. There is a posters on the side, so they set it up that it is actually another floor that.
Speaker 1: He goes, I love it. Yes, okay, that makes sense. I did not notice that. Normally I noticed that we were blocking stuff, but I did not notice that. I must have had my head down in my notes. So Turner asks what kind of advice she's giving, and Miss Collins tells Turner to back up because she only talked to Sean for thirty minutes, but he's been living with Turner for four months.
Speaker 2: And then she says, ooh, that was good.
Speaker 3: It is it is, yeah, I mean this is I think this is just cramming so much into this episode that we don't get the counselors like this doesn't write, because this is a nice peat to turn it back onto Turner. Yes, but you and but you haven't seen Turner give him advice that is back the Shawn's missed, like taken the wrong way, So I just don't this.
Speaker 4: And again, this also would have worked if it was I know that you're saying we needed another female character, and that we did, and she obviously came in and did a great job. But had this been a scene between even if you don't want to make it Feenie, you want to make it.
Speaker 3: Turner and Eli going hey, wait a minute, Jonathan, he's lived with you for however long he's lived with you. I talked to the kid one time, this my second day as a teacher. You could have done anything there.
Speaker 1: Going back to if we were keeping it with this guidance counselor and developing more of the idea that she's just inexperienced.
Speaker 2: I like the idea of her being like, oh, I got to remember that.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 1: You know it.
Speaker 2: You read writing some notes. Yeah, it was a good read.
Speaker 1: And I like the idea of her thinking about like keeping notes for things to do in the future, and I'm learning here, you know, Like I like all that, but.
Speaker 3: It but also like, if you're going to have a character like this, then she she should there should be consequences, there should be development. She should be going to the bus station with Turner apologize to Sean, or maybe afterwards the tag could be a scene between her and Seawan being like I've now learned my lesson as a guidance counselor I've grown, you've grown as a kid. And but instead this is it. She's just dropped off. It's like, oh, she was ditzy and pretty and made a mistake and then she's gone, and it's like that's a bummer, Like this is actually a cool idea for somebody to have given advice that they think is good, and it is good advice, go to Europe, explore the world, like that is good advice, but then she just misappropriating it to a child.
Speaker 2: It really would have been great.
Speaker 1: I mean they obviously Eli was obviously busy with the Sphoenee storyline. It could have been Alan who who casually mentions to Sean that he took a year off or he did something.
Speaker 2: You know, wouldn't that have been great.
Speaker 3: Amy Amy, because then you still have a female character again, Amy.
Speaker 1: Could very easily say, well, you know, I took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do. Also, even still as an adult, it would have been nice for her to say, listen, even as an adult my.
Speaker 3: Teens, I tried to do real estate a gallery.
Speaker 1: Like you know, and in order to find myself I had to you know, it could have so okay, and we're still in the school hallway, Joey and Frankie are looking at the clock. There's ominous music playing, waiting for Harley and Griff to show up.
Speaker 4: Do you remember this? Okay, so this was okay, So this was I remember this. So this is the only thing I remember of this episode is that this was ad libbed at the table read.
Speaker 3: So at the table read that we're.
Speaker 4: Sitting there and you know how you would you would sit there and do a table read is you're reading your dialogue, and in between doing your dialogue, the director is reading out the stage directions that are in between. So Corey walks down the hallway and opens his locker like they would actually read that out physically at the table read. So the a locker squeaking and a paper flying by was actually the His line was only this doesn't feel right, Frankie, I'm I'm getting nervous. But right before the stage direction was they're in the hallway, ominous music plays a locker squeaking paper blows by, and then it cut and then Blake went a locker squeaking paper blowing by. I don't know what's going So he just added that in to his dialogue and it got a huge laugh at the table, so they added it into the script. So that was all him, just ad libbing from what the stage direction was.
Speaker 3: None of that was actual dialogue.
Speaker 4: But it was soy to get that and a paper blowing by and everybody lost it at the table. So that's like, that's all I remember. This entire week was like, oh my god, I remember this. Yeah, he made that up on the spot.
Speaker 1: It starts with them looking at the clock waiting for them to show up, and Frankie says, Griff and Harley fighting just doesn't make sense, and Joey says, maybe they won't fight. Maybe they had one of those moments where just everything makes sense. Frankie suggests that's an epiphany and Joey shakes his head no, like Frankie is the dumb one. And then the clock strikes twelve, and no one is there but Joey and Frankie with an eery calm and a Western gunfight theme music is playing. The nearby locker squeaks with the wind like a saloon bar door, and some trash drifts by their feet like a tumbleweed. This is really fun, But.
Speaker 3: Dey takes up so much in that episode.
Speaker 1: Did we need that opening part of them looking at the clock in the first two minutes? Couldn't it have just started with them standing in the middle of the hallway for noon and the squeaky door and the trash can.
Speaker 3: Of course, I swear what happened is there was an existing script with a guidance counselor, and the writers realized that Danny was better and they were like, let's resolve this, and they crammed this entire storyline into this episode, and it takes up a lot of time. It's just a time consuming storyline that doesn't involve any of the regular casts. And you know, they and I think it's it's very noble right. They wanted to satisfy the Griff Harley stuff and like I, I, but bring Danny. It's all in the sake of but it just makes for an awkward episode because it's shit warned in and it takes up all the oxygen.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I find it very funny. It's just crammed in.
Speaker 1: If they had been if they had made it a full bee storyline instead of it being a.
Speaker 2: Story that takes over a lot, it doesn't have enough time.
Speaker 1: If they dedicated a B storyline to it, it's very funny. And this stuff with the saloon door and the trash going by is great.
Speaker 3: Precory into it.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: Why isn't that a part of this storyline? Hey, Franky and Joey helping them with could a million ways to make this feel more like a part of the rest of the episode. Frankly, what they should have done, and they did this other times.
Speaker 4: I don't know why they didn't hear is they should have cut the Eric storyline. I should have had a week off this week, and that you gued with the buying the paper. It's just to bring them into But it's just my storyline. It didn't matter. It didn't matter at all.
Speaker 1: Why do we need the eli Phoene storyline through this? Why isn't it a storyline between you and Phoene because too, I'm bringing you many things. Basically, I think what happened, like Ryder said, I think this was a week where there was a lot of stuff going on and some things got you horned in. But also I think in this episode, we're finding out that it feels like we have too many characters, and they had a hard time deciding which characters they were going to service, and they ended up trying to service too many of them. And I was still not in the episode. So Joey starts to panic and wants to leave, but Frankie says his mom isn't picking them up until three thirty, and Joey says, you in your carpool, grin, And then Harley shows up first. Then Griff walks in. Griff says he heard Harley wants to pound him. Harley is doing a very scary punching motion with his hands, and Griff asks what he's waiting for the sooner. Feenie finds out the sooner Harley will be back in reform school. Joey jumps in to say, okay, I guess the fight's over. Who's up for a little Chinese? But Harley starts to walk off and signals that Frankie needs to beat up Griff instead. Harley says he's waiting, but Frankie decides to quit being a lackey and tells Joey he should do the same. Joey also quits and wants to be his own man. Griff says, it looks like they have nothing to argue about anymore since Frankie and Joey quit, and he wishes Harley good luck with the whole retro look, and he walks off.
Speaker 3: I did too. This is like the.
Speaker 1: First time that anyone acknowledges that Harley's got a whole fifties thing going, just like he's in the fifties. Harley says, Frankie and Joey are showing spine self esteem and they have real hutzba and it'll be real hard.
Speaker 2: Beating it out of them.
Speaker 1: And then Corey comes out of class talking to totally different kids about how he pulled a fast one on Chris go ahead Harley by giving him a fake wallet with fake money, and he would have loved to have seen the look on his face when he found out.
Speaker 2: And then he bombs into hall In again.
Speaker 1: And oh, Harley says, it'll look a lot like this, but perturbed. And then we're in the bus station and there's Carmen Philpy sitting next to Sean playing bum going through a gift basket donated to the homeless shelter, and he offers Sean a mango. Sean thanks him, but he says, no, don't thank me, thank George Feeney because it's written on the card. And there are also teeth in the basket, but he says, oh wait, they're mine. Those are mine, and then he walks off. Turner runs in and finds Sean and says that when he heard Sean was going to Europe, he immediately thought bus station, which I thought was a funny joke that he just knows immediately he won't be at the airport, he'll be at the bus station.
Speaker 3: This is not a.
Speaker 6: Huge set, by the way, form and used and not utilized.
Speaker 3: That all there's like back rooms I know is there probably was multiple scenes in this in the original script, but uh, instead we lost the boys bedroom for this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so funny.
Speaker 1: Sean is trying to go to Paris, France, but he has a bus ticket to Paris, Texas. He thought the TX meant Tex Turner says he doesn't know what Miss Collins said, but running away is not the answer. Sean says he's not running away. He's going somewhere and doing something with his life. He wants to ski the Alps or go to Spain and chase the bulls. When Turner tells him that the bulls chase him, he says he doesn't need Spain, and Europe's a big town and there's tons of stuff.
Speaker 5: For him to do.
Speaker 2: Great line, Yep to Europe is a big town is great.
Speaker 1: Turner asks why Sean didn't come talk to him, and he says because he's busy and he has his own stuff going on, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care what's going on in Shawn's life. Turner says he's more than his buddy. He's responsible for him, but says he's not his dad. He's used to being on his own. It's made him realize he has to look out for himself. As Sean starts to walk away and thanks him for the roof, Turner yells after Sean and says he's not going anywhere. Sean says he's going to Europe, but Turner corrects him that he's actually going to Texas again. Turner says, Sean has no idea what he's getting himself into. So Sean is going back home with him where he belongs, and if he wants to go to Europe, they'll go together next summer, but only if he starts going to class and he gets his grades up.
Speaker 3: And this is all lovely, lovely stuff, but great, it just doesn't feel earned by the episode now at all because it's not about our relationship until this scene, so we haven't really I.
Speaker 4: Don't know as it's a great could have been such an amazing storyline for Sean because for the first time he's running towards something as opposed to from something. Yes, which is a huge bit of character development, or could be if it's done right. You're actually going towards something and you're looking forward as opposed to just getting away from what's behind you. That's huge for a character. And they didn't do any and it's like, Okay, it was really weird.
Speaker 3: I had an interesting thought, which is this summer before this episode, I went to Europe with David Colmes, my teach. That's when you went the show. So I wonder if the idea teacher offering to take a student to Europe? What came from real life? Think if the writers on our show knew that I had gone to they did with David, that they incorporated that into this, which is great. It's kind of like a yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: I bet you, I bet I bet they did. David Colms influencing the storylines of Boy Meets World. The man with the gift basket tells Sean to listen to his dad, and Sean says he thinks he will, and he hands the man his bus ticket. The man yells, all right, I'm going to Europe. And then we're in the guidance Counselor's office. Corey is laying down on the couch, venting to Miss Collins about losing Sean and there was really no for him. Plus Harley is back and he's running out of wallets, and then there are those clown dreams. I love this, this Runner of the Clown thing. I really do enjoy it. Miss Collins interrupts Corey's rambling to say this is not the kind of counseling she does, and then Turner and Sean walk in. Miss Collins asked Jean the next time they talk if he can explain what he thought she meant. Sean doesn't understand, and Turner says he can just talk to him. Corey steps out with Sean and we get a really odd reaction shots Miss Collins who's slowly walking toward mister Turner, who gives a side smile, and it looks like, boun.
Speaker 3: Go ahead on the desk right now.
Speaker 2: Don't understand miss what to do with this character?
Speaker 3: So they were like, what do we I mean? The is the is the point that the guidance counselor is too attractive to be a guidance counselor and she's just flirting with Sean and now Turner or like.
Speaker 1: What a message that you cannot be a young woman in any place.
Speaker 3: Of business because no one will take you sea, no one will.
Speaker 2: Take you seriously, and everyone will sleep with you. I don't. I don't understand what's happening here.
Speaker 3: I don't either. It was so exciting, exactly the same, and I was like the look between Turner and the counsel question, Mark Lake, what is is this something that was out?
Speaker 1: And then when when Corey and Sean go outside, there's like a pause and then you hear the door close, which normally when you you hear the office door close behind them, but it's not like immediate. It doesn't the door doesn't you know, Normally when you are doing a scene, you want the door to close first, and then you start your dialogue. You try not to close the lot the door on a line, and they don't close it on a line.
Speaker 2: They close it in between a line.
Speaker 1: But also like you could have just left the door cracked and I wouldn't have wondered why I didn't hear the door closed, but you do.
Speaker 2: It's extra weird. So outside the door.
Speaker 1: Sean says he's not mad, and Corey says he's not apologizing and he's no longer responsible for Sean's actions. Sean says it's no problem, and he guess he missed his biology exam this morning. Corey says, don't worry. I took the exam for Sean. Two things I can't believe. We never addressed what happened to the end of Eric's storyline. Just nothing, just that, not even with FENI, not even with Feenie. Phoenia doesn't even know as far as we know, No, Okay, what is?
Speaker 5: What is?
Speaker 1: They're going to do for college. There needs to be a discussion. What are you going to do? You don't have a letter of recommendation?
Speaker 3: You get there? Were we do episodes I know that are about that. We get there. We spent three episodes in the SATs. Right now we're in college letter of recommendations. So weird. Well we'll cover it. But it's a weird. Yeah, this whole episode was just and everybody was good. It was just bizarre. It was like, yeah, I don't dislike it, but I don't like it. It was just weird.
Speaker 1: Second thing, Okay, where the am I? Why am I a part of this podcast? Do you guys want me to get somebody else in the seat?
Speaker 3: To Panka is not a big part of the show until I mean because of the lore, because you are part of the this is the thing. It's like boy Mean's world has like two levels. It has the levels that are expositionally told to the viewer. This is this is the storyline. Sean is this type of person. Corey into Panga are always there's all this expositional talk and then there's actual storylines and actual like what you're watching, and sometimes they're not equal to each other. So like there's a lot of like, for instance, there's a lot of exponential stuff about Eric being ridiculous and being dumb, which is fun and it takes up a lot of the actual screen time. But then there's a lot of expositional talk about Corey into Panga and how they've always loved each other and they're meant to be together when in reality you're barely on screen until like season four or five. I really believe that, Like it's crazy. Yeah, it's a weird show in that way, Like there's two levels to it constantly.
Speaker 4: So is it like that what do they call that with the Berenstein Bears and all that stuff where people are remembering and I remembered it.
Speaker 3: The Mendela effect. Yeah, so it is. That's what it is on this shows you to remember things that never happened. Our show was like, we always do this, this is what we always do, and it's right right right little squirrels.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, thanks for listening to this episode of Pod Meets World. You can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com, and we have merch.
Speaker 4: I didn't say anything I was to panging it on the first few at first few seasons of Pod Meets World.
Speaker 3: Is that wrong?
Speaker 2: Just invisible march.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Pod Meets Worldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 3: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 4: Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Daniel Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman Executive in charge of production, Daniel Romo, producer and editor, Taras Sudbach, producer, Jackie Rodriguez, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeets worldshowat gmail dot com.