Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Vanessa Bayer and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 3: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood and nostalgia and how it shape this into the people we are today.
Speaker 4: You can't wait to dive purse first into today's episode if I do say so myself.
Speaker 3: Welcome to how did we get weird?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 6: Jonah?
Speaker 4: I was thinking about, you know, the Jewish holidays of Rushhashana and Yom Kipor are coming up, and I was thinking about how we used to always go to our grandma Marge's house around that holiday time and just honestly have a blast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember Grandma Marge lived it the same place pretty much the whole time we knew her, so like our whole lives. Yes, And it was in a big apartment complex and you walked in and she had these mirrored closets, so it fell.
Speaker 2: Yes, enormous, enormous, especially when we were little.
Speaker 3: Yes, And a lot of like art up on sort of pedestals, a felt very fancy to me.
Speaker 2: Very fancy.
Speaker 4: There was a sculpture of mercury, which I think was our grandpa Jerome had bought that. And one time I did a report in Middle school on the element Mercury and I took a picture with the statue of Mercury.
Speaker 2: Wow, and I thought that was really great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we would basically go over there. I feel like for Jewish holidays, You're right, so Russaurant, our Unpaporn and there would be our cousins would be there and that was sort of like the main hangout time there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we would have a lot of fun. We would eat a huge meal.
Speaker 4: Our grandma would bring out her mants of ball soup, which we thought was the best mants of ball soup ever.
Speaker 2: It's also we've talked about.
Speaker 4: This on here before where our uncle Richard coined the term of something going right through him when he was talking about frozen yogurt we think, or diet ice cream.
Speaker 2: And how it goes right through him.
Speaker 4: And then I kind of figured out what that was and that that was a phrase.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good.
Speaker 4: And oh the other thing that we were going to talk about was that our grandma would say a prayer and we would all have to be quiet for it, and she would say the prayer to herself and then she would go around the table looking at each one of us, making eye contact with each one of us, and that really made us want to start laughing. It was very sweet, but also very hard to not get the giggles.
Speaker 3: As a kid, it's tough to have a serious moment. Yeah, so I think it was mostly just trying not to laugh that whole time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thinking of the serious moment that it's tough to have because it's having so much fun.
Speaker 2: Should we introduce our guests for today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I have a tough moment.
Speaker 4: No, it's tough to have a serious moment because we're so excited to have fun with you.
Speaker 1: Well, don't you I can ruin anything.
Speaker 2: With that incredible endorsement. Well, we'll get to your intro.
Speaker 4: Our guest today is a comedian, actor, activist, musician, and drag You may know from guest starring on some of your favorite shows like A Black Lady's Sketch Show or High Maintenance, but you've also got to know him as the winner of season eight of RuPaul's Drag Race and his HBO Max show We're Here, or his podcast Sibling Rivalry.
Speaker 2: We are so thrilled to welcome Bob the Drag Queen.
Speaker 1: How are you all? Thank you to the Beyars for having having me over.
Speaker 2: I like the name Beyer too, Yes, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I think that.
Speaker 5: Before Vanessa entered my brain. Now, Jonah, it was mostly the drug.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, totally.
Speaker 1: Are you of the Beyars? You get asked that a lot.
Speaker 4: Well, A joke that we like to make, or at least I like to make, is whereever anyone asked me I go. If I was, I wouldn't be here right now.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know, I see that. I could see that a being, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: But but now it doesn't work because you're going to be like at the oscars, like.
Speaker 4: If I was, right, becomes like a sort of a public figure. It's less powerful of them. You know, when I was like an improviser in chicag Go, it really.
Speaker 5: Would you hit roll up like a like a you know Maserati. You're like, if I was, would I be in this Maserati.
Speaker 2: Right right right right?
Speaker 1: Probably?
Speaker 5: But I will say there is a difference between the money and big pharma. Oh in comedy.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we would live in just enormous. I mean I actually met someone god where.
Speaker 3: I don't even met a pharmacist or something, right who?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I met a pharmacist or someone who like knew the Bayer family and said told me I kind of look like them, and I was like what, And I don't, and we're Jewish and I don't think they're Jewish. But also you never know, you know what I mean. And someone told me they have a big town in Germany and that they were like, you should go there.
Speaker 2: They'll treat you like, you know, you're one of the families.
Speaker 4: Yes, so I actually do think that you're hitting on something important, which is.
Speaker 2: We don't think we're part of the family, but what do we know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you might be. You never know.
Speaker 4: It might be sort of like that movie with Anne Hathaway where she finds out she's a princess, The Princess Diaries, that movie where.
Speaker 5: She was like writing a diary, but the princess was she's like writing in a diary about being a princess.
Speaker 4: Diary princess in it and she's writing a diary. What's that? I can't remember the journaling royal girl that was the one.
Speaker 1: The girl you too kind of kind of look alike too.
Speaker 5: I mean, the hair is displaced because one is on top of the head, ones on the price right by the way, I am also bald that is not that's not a dig at Jonah. I am also one of the bald head batties now batties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we look alike, and I wonder if so which to your point, this Pharmers sister whoever would have probably said to Jonah too, you look like you're part of that family, and it's like, go claim your fortune kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: Ja.
Speaker 5: Do you also have the because you have a pretty iconic smile. I feel like if I saw just your smile, if I saw just this part of your face, I'd be like, oh, that's Vanessa Beyer.
Speaker 1: You're kind of you're kind of known for your smile.
Speaker 4: Do you think I think so? I think because I smile a lot. It's it's hard for me to stop.
Speaker 1: What's that like?
Speaker 5: You describe smiling and happiness to me in great detail?
Speaker 4: I mean, you've got a beautiful smile. What are you talking about?
Speaker 5: I didn't say that beautiful. It's just not instantly recognized it. I was instantly recognized.
Speaker 4: But also you were implying that I'm a much happier like and I don't think that that's true because I feel like you are kind of a comedy icon, like I'll take it. I was just rewatching some of your drag Race stuff and I just I think you're just so funny obviously.
Speaker 2: I mean opening up for Madonna. Ever heard of it?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: You know, it's so funny because I ended up in the world of like feel good TV with reality TV if We're Here and Repulse drag Race. But I'm actually a stand up comedian. I've been doing stand up for about fifteen years now.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: And then and then I kind of just trip and fell into it into reality TV, which drag Race is pretty camp, whilst We're Here is not camp at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, extremely Actually that's not truly it is camp.
Speaker 5: It's it's not a hilarious show like it's going to leave you boohoo ing, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Well it's interesting because and I guess I knew that about you, but I wasn't putting it together that you you're a stand up to It makes sense because you could even tell when you were on drag Race, like you can tell when people are comedians, Like you're just so funny, but also you have a real I'm really impressed with you on We're Here because thank you you have to really, I mean, I was just I've seen a lot of it. I was just watching the episode. I think it's in Mississippi where you have to. Yeah, you have to really get in with people and have some really emotional talks with them. And I think a lot of the funniest people kind of have that. I'm not trying to compliment myself, okay, but I think a lot of the I don't know, it doesn't matter, just I just get you have such empathy for everybody, and you so you really understand what they're going through and are able to actually say things that are helpful in a way.
Speaker 2: That's really so impressive.
Speaker 4: And to someone who doesn't understand that, that's sometimes many people to ken do that, it's like really impressive that you're so funny and yet also so thoughtful and empathetic with these people.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, thank you for starters.
Speaker 5: And I feel like a lot of times nowadays, not I don't want to sound on one of these people.
Speaker 1: You prap them with comedy today.
Speaker 5: I hate to be one of those, but I think that a lot of comedians, not just today, for a long time, are kind of edge lords. Like I'm just saying with nobody's thinking. It is like it's like it's like, well, I have intrusive thoughts. I thought about pushing three people on the train today just because I'm not saying just because you're saying what I'm thinking doesn't make it funny.
Speaker 1: It's just those are my thoughts.
Speaker 5: And you know, I think that sometimes in stand up comedy, people end up just going for noise from the audience, you know what I mean, right, instead of laughter, like you like, the thing about stand up is you want a specific noise, like like like when a comedian is kind of bumming and they go give it up for this beautiful club.
Speaker 1: Everyone's like, I I.
Speaker 4: When I've done stand up, I do that. That's a trick I would use all the time. Give it up for the host, give it up for the menue. Just getting as many claps as you can get.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you just want you just want noise. Or they'll or they'll say a joke that's just so out of pocket. The crowd goes ooh, and for them, they're like, well I got a noise, Yeah, I got noise. And then they always go, oh, is that too much for you? And everyone's like, it's just that we were eating chicken tenders and we weren't expecting like jokes about slavery.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I don't know if it's too much, And I don't know that that that the juice was worth a squeeze for that particular joke, right right, I don't even know how I got on.
Speaker 1: I go on tangents.
Speaker 3: I know it's it's good, it's good we're talking. I mean, who were some of the comedians you were kind of into growing up, Like, who are your big as a kid?
Speaker 1: I love some More.
Speaker 5: I love Monique, I love Chris rock I love Diale Hughley, I love Cedric the Entertainer.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love Bernie Mac.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love Wanda Sykes.
Speaker 2: Yes, so funny.
Speaker 5: They're just so so so funny. I mean, I think Chris Rocking one of things is probably my two favorite comedians growing up. But and then of course, in terms of acting, it'd be like Whoopi Goldberg, Carol Channing, Bernadette Peters, people like that, Kaptain and.
Speaker 7: Jimmy Yeah yeah, I love her. Oh, David Allen Greer and the Wayans, Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And did you watch a lot of like in Living Color and that kind of like, did you watch a lot of oh yeah, the like comedy when you were growing up?
Speaker 5: Absolutely was very It was very I mean the Wayns were really a big part of Matchip my childhood into my teenage years with the Ways with the Ways Brother Show, Yeah, and learned Her to Shame and the scary movies, and you know, there's so many of the things they were doing that were just so like formative to me as a humorist, as a young humorist, I guess yeah, but yeah, I love them.
Speaker 1: I loved loved Homie the Clown.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jane carry as Fire Marshall Bill, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you have any thoughts on a movie that I that we haven't talked about in this podcast before, but Stars, I believe Damon Wayne's The Last Boy Scout.
Speaker 5: I've not seen this movie. I was afraid that you were in a same movie I hadn't seen. And my worst fear came, sure.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, it's not a big deal.
Speaker 5: I had someone to ask you about a movie, and then you you think to yourself, do I act like I saw.
Speaker 2: It one hundred percent?
Speaker 1: Do I tell the truth?
Speaker 2: And in real.
Speaker 4: Life in conversation, I got to say this I'm coming clean. Fifty percent of the time, I pretend that I know what they're talking because if I think it's gonna pass quickly enough, I just go, oh, yeah, it's so good, you know.
Speaker 3: I do I ever do something where someone says something you don't even hear what they said. You don't know if it's a movie or a book, and you're just like, oh, yeah, uh huh, because you just want to move past it, because I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm the worst.
Speaker 5: I call harp on things until the end of time, because I don't want to end in a situation where like like where Vanessa's like, oh, yeah, I love that movie, and then that becomes the crux of you and that person's friendship, and I'm like, I've never met anyone else who loved the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.
Speaker 1: Billy Bop Goat Girl. No, never's even heard about it.
Speaker 5: And then and now I found the DVD, So Vanessa, you're gonna come over and watch Billy Bop Goat Girl. You watch it? Now you hate this movie? Now yeah or yeah yeah? And at random time, the person's turning you and go and as they say nay boo, and You're like, what and they're like it's from Billy Bob Goat girl.
Speaker 1: You're like, yea very.
Speaker 2: Extreme version of how this could go.
Speaker 4: For all if you pretend but I hear you, but also I hear you. I do a version of that that's almost worse, which is I'll pretend, like you said, Jonah, that I hear them, and then, because I kind of tend to obsess over things, sometimes thirty seconds in the conversation, I'll go.
Speaker 2: Wait, what did you say? What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: And then it's the worst version of it because now the pretending you did to kind of put the other person, you know, at ease and make them.
Speaker 2: Feel like, oh, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 4: Now they know that I've been lying to them for thirty seconds, and but I can't. I but I'm putting myself first and my obsessiveness first, and saying, now I really have to know what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: I did this TikTok live and this guy was like, he goes, we were arguing about something. It was like a TikTok debate, and he goes, how do you feel about the war in Rwanda or something like that. He didn't say Rwanda, he said some like African country. He said, he said, do you care about the war in Rwanda? And I just said yeah. He goes, there was no there is no war in Rwanda. Oh.
Speaker 1: What I was saying was if there is a war, then yeah, I care.
Speaker 5: Sure, but I did, But I did, but I wasn't like I am well versed in the war in Rwanda and I was. I was like, oh, but instead of saying if there is a war going on that I care about that, all I said was yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, that person sucks. They were trapping you.
Speaker 1: And they're trying to get me. Yeah they're yeah, because I got that ass.
Speaker 4: But also, it would be so crazy for you to be like no, So there's almost no way you'd have to know about everything in the world to be like, oh, that doesn't exist. It's like, by the way, whatever place that person said there probably was some kind of a war there.
Speaker 1: Well, that'd be.
Speaker 5: Like being like, do you care that my mom beat me? And I go yeah, yeah, and I go of course I can. My mom never beat me, And I'm like, well, well.
Speaker 2: Guess what get I Honestly.
Speaker 1: Maybe she should have.
Speaker 5: Now it's not too fla your adulthood if you're a mom to come and give you a left hook right to the chief.
Speaker 4: I don't know what this person's profile is and in terms of you know, but I don't ever want them coming on this podcast because I hate them.
Speaker 5: Your band, whoever you were, you just know that you're band. So do you two live in the same town.
Speaker 4: No, we used to. We used to both be in New York. When I was on SNL. Jonah lived in Brooklyn and he would come to SNL shows.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm calling it every other week all the time.
Speaker 3: But now of Vanessa's in La, I'm in western mass in like the Berkshire's.
Speaker 1: Okay, we know.
Speaker 5: My best friend Monet is really close friends with love Money. Oh my god, I can't think of her name right now, in this moment, I can't think of her name.
Speaker 1: Money. Money is like really good. What's her name? She's from CNL brown.
Speaker 3: Hair, Cecily Strong.
Speaker 2: Monet is best friends of Cecily.
Speaker 1: No, not best friend.
Speaker 5: Money is my best friend, and Money and Cicely are our friends.
Speaker 2: Our friends. Okay, so now now I'm your best friend.
Speaker 1: So now I need to one up Monet and you and I need to be.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, that's right. Look, I'm in.
Speaker 1: Are you strong?
Speaker 4: I mean close, we're friends, I mean I haven't spoken to her a ton since we've both not been on the show.
Speaker 1: But are you guys fighting.
Speaker 2: We're in the middle of kind of a feud.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of weird that you bring that up right now because I just texted her.
Speaker 3: Vanessa is always talking about this feud.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and now I'm going to text her after this and say, wow, just became friends with Bob and the drag Queen. Have fun with Monee, you bitch. That's what I'm going to text her.
Speaker 5: So we we are the antithesis to Monette and Cecily. Is me and Vanessa? Yes, and then Monet and Cecily Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I was trying to work in like a cool thing to show you, like what a fan.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, they're gonna need all those sponges to wipe up the you know, to.
Speaker 5: Soak up their uh uh schmid. They're gonna shmiga they're d sponge Yeah.
Speaker 4: Maybe because maybe maybe they're gonna have to smiga doing those sponges to clean up what big losers they are. Sorry, I started a fight between me and Cecily and you and money that might make things awkward.
Speaker 5: You're going to use our purses and and and and and love that for ourselves.
Speaker 3: Yeh is the most antagonistic I've ever seen Vanessa on this podcast.
Speaker 5: So I have that effect on people. I bring out the worst in everyone. I really do, I really really do. I feel like I've derailed.
Speaker 2: You all, not at all. This is so fun. I've look.
Speaker 4: Everyone needs to know when an absolute megga bitch face I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know. And on that note, let's take our first break.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna say that, perfect, and we're back. Jonah, what were you going to say before.
Speaker 3: Before we went to that commercial break? Perfect, seg I was curious about how you feel about asking people about their names. That's one that I struggle with a lot. Someone introduces himself, I'm not paying attention.
Speaker 5: Baby baby, baby, baby baby. That is where I This is what I do. I say, I meet someone and I'll say, what's your name? And like the second time, ibout what's your name again? And I say and I'll be like, I'm I will keep asking that I want to remember, but I'm never gonna lie to you, whether then there comes a day or on like the third time where I just big, big guy.
Speaker 1: You a girl, girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a point where you can't ask anymore, and that's when you're really stuck.
Speaker 5: When I was in high school, this girl who was I can't remember her name, obviously, but let's call her Vanessa. Let's call her Vanessa. So Vanessa. I looked at her, I said, can I borrow your book? She gave me her Spanish book. I took the book and I used it for Spanish class, and then she shared a book and then I gave the book back to her and I wanted to thank her, but.
Speaker 1: I forgot her name.
Speaker 5: So I looked in the front of the book and I saw the name and I was like, thanks, thanks Jonah, and she and she was like, excuse me. I was like, thank you, Jonah. And she's like, why did you call me Jonah? I was like, your name's Jonah and she's like, why would you think my name is. I was like, that's the name written in the front of your book. And she was like, I'm borrowing Jonah's book. My name is Vanessa, my god. And I was like, I have been caught. I had been caught redhand, and she got me guilty covered in blood.
Speaker 3: Is she related to this TikTok live guy because they got the same kind of vibe trying to.
Speaker 1: Call you out?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean giving you a book that has a different person's name in it when you don't know.
Speaker 3: Her, You're not calling them out. You're just trying to say thank you.
Speaker 1: It's like I've been sitting next to her the entire school year.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, so little contacts.
Speaker 4: I get it, you know, I okay, I've been on the other side of that, and I don't know. I don't know if this makes us more on your side or on this person's side. But I used to work at this ad agency and this one guy, I think I've told this story on here before. This one guy who worked there called me Jessica. Okay, he called me Jessica once or twice, and I just thought, he's not in the same like department as me. I'm never gonna see this guy again. And so then it became like I had been there maybe like six months or so, and every time I would maybe see him once every few weeks, he'd say hi, Jessica, and I'd be like, Then, this one fateful day, I was in an elevator with him and these two other these two women that I work with that I knew very well, and they go and I like, got the elevator and they're like, hey, Vanessa, and he was in the elevator, and it was just this moment of at this point, it's on me, like it's it's he shouldn't even be embarrassed. I'm the one who let him call me Jessica for six months. Yeah, and it was one of the most uncomfortable elevator I think it's the most uncomfortable elevator ride I've ever been in.
Speaker 1: Did you guys ever reconcile this would say anything.
Speaker 2: About it was just sort of understood.
Speaker 4: I honestly don't remember any time after that him calling me Vanessa, and that might be because he completely avoided me or something for the rest of the I think I was there like a year and a half. It was so awkward, and I could have stopped it at any time, but it's like once you let it go a few times, then it becomes.
Speaker 2: So hard.
Speaker 5: To fucking l And I feel that way to like whatever whenever I you know, another question.
Speaker 1: I hate this question.
Speaker 5: It's such a shady, shady question when someone goes, do you remember me?
Speaker 7: Oh, that's one that fuck you seriously, that is the most I hate that so much, Like I don't I don't want.
Speaker 5: To pop quiz in the middle of whatever. First of all, we just ran into each other as CBS. You think I want a pop quiz? Do you remember me? And they always take a step back and they say her name? Do you remember me? Vanessa? Jonah?
Speaker 1: You have a podcast How We Got Weird? Do you remember me? I hate Jonah in the Berkshires? Do you remember me?
Speaker 2: I hate that so much.
Speaker 7: It's so it would be so easy for that person to say, like do you remember me?
Speaker 2: Like, Hi, do you remember me? I'm Suzanne.
Speaker 4: We were in puppet class together or whatever, or hey, Vanessa's me.
Speaker 5: As you saying, from pupet class. How are you? You don't even have It's me Suzanne from puppic class.
Speaker 1: Do you remember me? Now you don't even have to say remember me, just say how are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's me Suzanne from public class, or even or even if you want to be extra whatever, you go, it's me Suzanne from public class. You might not remember, but it's so nice to see, just like give the other person the benefit of the doubt instead of setting them up for failure.
Speaker 5: My response is usually no, and I don't feel bad about it because it gives them because it lets them know you can't you cannot weaponize this against me. I say no, and I don't feel bad about it.
Speaker 3: What about what about this? So you say nice to meet you to someone, they go, actually we've met before.
Speaker 5: Oh I I hate like they are actually we've met beoth or and I'm like, you're a monster. You're a bad person, You're a monster. A pox on your house.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've noticed some people will say, I think, especially kind celebrity of notes will say nice to see you. Like they won't even say nice to meet you. They'll say nice to see you to everyone. And I think that sort of cover those situations.
Speaker 2: You're saying a celebrity will say that to people.
Speaker 3: I think just people who or maybe people who don't remember meeting people.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know some people I met for the first time and they're like, nice to see you, And I think that's just their line so so they can't get called out, which is good.
Speaker 2: But it's like, why should they even have to do that?
Speaker 1: True?
Speaker 3: True, that's tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh I hate try.
Speaker 5: Trying to catch you or trick you again, like back you into a corner, especially in the right aid.
Speaker 1: This is too much.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to buy a bag of you know, cheddar jalapenno cheetos.
Speaker 3: Yez.
Speaker 2: So we're not in puppet class.
Speaker 4: It would be one thing if you were in puppet class with that person and they were like hey, and you're like, oh, yeah, I know this person front. But to see when you see people out of context in different places, yeah, yeah, so yeah, actually.
Speaker 1: You don't remember me.
Speaker 5: I was in the puppet By the way, I have lost one hundred and thirty pounds, I've dyed my hair, yeah, and I've changed my entire style of dress. I've it's also oh, by the way, Vanessa, it has been fifteen years. But the question remains, do you fucking remember me? Put down those goddamn cheetos. They take out their phone, they start filming.
Speaker 1: You answer the.
Speaker 4: Fucking question, Oh my god, that's the nightmare scenario.
Speaker 2: Has that ever happened to you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I take everything to the extremes, to the most rididuous.
Speaker 2: So you're thinking that's what my therapist says to do.
Speaker 4: It's like to think through to the end of like, how if you're stressed about something like what's the worst that could happen?
Speaker 3: Because normally, yeah, you're more stressed about the idea of what could happen than the reality of it actually happened.
Speaker 5: Well, the real truth is my negative trait is that instead of de escalating, I immediately escalate like no, and I don't know and I don't and I don't feel bad about it. It's just that's just escalating. I could just be like no, but instead I'm like no and fuck you. You're a fuck me. Bit I about a fuck you right here in the fucking next of the ice cream. You think you got me, bitch? I got you, bitch.
Speaker 1: It is though I.
Speaker 2: Can't say that that's what I do. But wouldn't that be so cool if I could?
Speaker 1: Can you say no? Can you just say no? And I don't feel bad about it because it sounds like something you wouldn't say. Can I hear you say it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Let's roll playing, okay, Vanessa?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, how are you? It's so good to see you. Oh wait, you don't remember do you? Do you?
Speaker 5: Even?
Speaker 1: Do you remember me?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: And I don't feel bad about it for our listeners. Bomas is my love.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Officualie being in the same aisle, being like, I just saw Vanessa Player shut some puppeteer bitch down.
Speaker 1: This is dumb bitch pup is. Vanessa just creamed her.
Speaker 5: And I'd be like Vanessa Bayer like, yes, I'm telling you, the one who's always awkward. Vanessa Bear just and she did the smile and then she just smiled at her and the lady melted into the earth.
Speaker 1: It was crazy.
Speaker 5: That's more of a Jennifer Lewis move than a Vanessa Bayer mind.
Speaker 4: It's way more of a My impression of Jennifer Lewis, which she's helped me with, is her going oh, no, bitch, and her impression of me, which I don't know.
Speaker 2: We have got to get her on this podcast too.
Speaker 4: Her impression of me is like she goes like she kind of hunches over.
Speaker 2: And she goes like this.
Speaker 4: Because she thinks that I for the audience, I'm lifting my hands in sort of a weird kind of weak gesture. She thinks like I had like sort of weak hands, and she kind of lopes over and she kind of goes that.
Speaker 3: So feels more like a roast a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she Now I want to just go back and say one more thing about what Jonah was saying about when people say we've met.
Speaker 7: Before, Actually, actually we've met before, Vanessa.
Speaker 1: So it's an iconic alter ego for you.
Speaker 2: Do you want Wait?
Speaker 4: What was the line that you say no and I don't know and I don't feel bad about it?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to say it in that voice. Now, will you ask me again?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, Vanessa? Right, yeah, that is so crazy. Oh my god, you don't remember me doing you?
Speaker 4: No, and I don't feel bad about it.
Speaker 2: That's how I should say it.
Speaker 7: I guess it had way more staying the first with the first. You're right, you're right if I was in character this time, but the.
Speaker 5: First time you said it had the staying of a thousand, it was. It was vicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was more.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, now I just work shopping.
Speaker 2: We're shopping. I want to say this.
Speaker 4: People have said to me so many times, it's so nice to meet you, and I know that I've met them before, and I just because I know it will make the person feel bad and it will turn it into like a thing. I just pretend that we're meeting for the first time, and the fact that people don't have the wherewithal to do that and to know, like just leave things alone. What do you Where do you fall on this? I'm very curious where you fall in this.
Speaker 5: Well. Also, I feel like when they say it's nice to meet you, that does not necessarily have to mean this is my friend.
Speaker 1: Is nice to now know that you are.
Speaker 5: Like I say, I'm going to meet a friend, I'm going to meet I'm not going to meet them for the first time ever, so just say it was nice to meet in the.
Speaker 4: Moment, Yeah, you're right. Now, where do you fall now? I want to ask you another question for both of you. Let's say, for example, and because of the SAG strike, I'm going to bring up something that's not currently on. Like, let's say someone says to you, oh my god, Independence Day.
Speaker 2: I don't know why that movie came to my mind. Oh my god, Independence.
Speaker 4: Day is the worst movie I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 2: And let's say you really.
Speaker 1: Like it, got it?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: I want you to know that it's in passing though, how can I so?
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, I might have a scenario like this, I have a dear friend of mine. She's dry queen and her name is Sudden Lee Seymour, like Suddenly Seymore from the musical.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, great.
Speaker 5: And we both love Chicago. We both every day love Chicago.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, great.
Speaker 5: For some weird reason, she thinks Renees z Elwerger did a bad job in the movie, which is an insane opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 5: It's to the point where, like she had had this whole bit in her show about how Chicago is the perfect movie except Renee's Wiger, And it's to the point where she's making these jokes and I can't even laugh, even if the joke itself is funny. I'm like, the premise is so off right but also not ironically off. It'd be like if someone made like, if someone makes a joke about how Soldier Boy's a bad rapper, you can laugh at it, but if someone's like, you know, how jay Z's a horrible rapper, We're like, I'm sorry, wait, I can't get past the fact that you think jay Z's a bad rapper in order to laugh at any jokes about that you're making about him being a bad rapper. I don't know if that if that is if that if that scenario correlates to this. The first time she did in her show, I did go to after the show and I was like, Renee's el worker was brilliant in Chicago. Everyone in the cast, Queen Latifa, Richard gear, Cathern, Zanda Jones, everyone, even Lucy Lows like short cameo. Everyone in this movie was amazing. Yeah, And she was like, no, Renee's ell Wiger was bad. And I was like, this is I know, these are all opinions. You can't, Yeah, they can't be categorically false and true. But this just feels categorically false and I cannot.
Speaker 2: You can't. Yeah, let me ask you this.
Speaker 4: If you were in a group of people, okay, and let's say someone like Cecily, who you're not as good at friends with, but it's crazy basically, you know, but it's friends with Monette. You're in a group of people, and off the cough, Cecily just says like, I don't think Renee's Alliger was very good in Chicago. I'm not saying she feels that way. I don't want to misrepresent her. Let's say she said that, okay, and you don't know her, well, she's a friend of your friends, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Then would you.
Speaker 4: Just let it slide or would you go actually excuse me?
Speaker 5: Okay, so where where are we this all matters? Are we at someone's houses?
Speaker 1: At house?
Speaker 3: You're in someone's backyard at like a house party?
Speaker 1: And is it mone can.
Speaker 2: Day tell you it's a house party?
Speaker 3: But it's a national house party? Neither is no one's house.
Speaker 4: It's sort of like casual food like sort of like maybe there's like someone's grilling some stuff, but it's not like a it's not like a very it's sort of like an afternoon party. Come over, like see my I just we just redid the backyard. Come see you know, see what you think?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: Maybe it's a pool party. I would say, not everyone goes in the pool. I mean, I'm not going in that.
Speaker 5: I'm not going in the pool. I would go. I thought she was really good. I would say like that, but I wouldn't go. I wouldn't like part the seas and be like, right the fuck did you just say?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I would go.
Speaker 5: I thought she was a really good I thought everyone in the move was just It's one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 1: Everyone was just so perfectly cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: I was at a party with Charlie's thereon because the guy who created the show We're here is her lawyer, and we were just hanging out and then Charlie's pointed at a group of women and she said, I remember thinking to myself, like I literally had my boyfriend. This feels like a situation the Vanessa Bearer's character. We get called in. She put out a group of women and she said, that's my mom. I said, that's your mom. She goes, yeah, I said her, and she goes yeah. I said, that's how is that possible? This woman literally looks like your literally looks like your sister. And she was like what I said, this woman could be your sister. This is crazy. And then she goes, yes, that's my she goes. Then she calls the woman over. Then a different woman who is clearly her mom, comes forward, and then she goes, Bob, I said. And then before I came over, she goes, that's not good. I said, what do you mean. She goes, that's good for her, it's not good for me, and I said, no, she looks so young. So then the woman come over and then a woman who is obviously her mom comes over and then she goes, mom, Bob thinks.
Speaker 1: That you look the same age as me. But I couldn't be like, no.
Speaker 4: There's no way out of it, because you're you've already insulted her.
Speaker 2: Now you don't want to insult her mom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I can't go no, no, no, you definitely look so I just go yep, yep. Now her mom is flaunting in her face. She's like, yes, Charlie's I can be your sister. And I was like, and so, now I look like someone who gives disingenuous compliments. I look like a person who goes, what do you use sisters? I look like that asshole, But I'm not. That's not who I am. But I look like the person who says, what are you twins? So then later on I find Charlie's and I go, I just want you to know. I thought you were pointing at that woman. And Charlie's going, oh, no, we are the same age. That's my friend, so and so we're the same age. And I said, no, I did not think that your I thought you were putting a different woman. So then Charlie's elated calls her mother over to let her know no, oh no, because her mother was gloating about how she was so like she's like, yes, Charlee's with the same age looking honey, and this really just like whatever.
Speaker 1: So then so then Esraley's calling her mother over to.
Speaker 5: Gloat that I that I had mistaken her for a younger woman.
Speaker 1: I just left the party.
Speaker 2: That's what I was going to say. I would just run away.
Speaker 5: I immediately immediately left the party. Immediately, I was like, I'm leaving.
Speaker 4: It's the only because you kind of were in an impossible situation in that. Yes, well, I'm sure that when she first told you that's my mom, and you thought this younger woman was who she was talking about, you were probably so emphatic about it, like you were probably not being like, no, you guys look the same age, like you could be sister. You were probably like, oh my god, that's insane. You like, I'm sure you were so convincing, and so there's no way to get out of it except to I would have done the exact same thing. I would have found a moment where she was away from her and said just so you know, like so you're not insulted, but yeah, of course you would want that.
Speaker 3: That's tough.
Speaker 5: It would literally be like if you're at a party and you pointed at Cecily Strong, I was like, that's my mom. Someone's like what and You're like, I know, crazy, and I was like, no, that's your mother.
Speaker 1: And I was like, that was like your mom.
Speaker 5: Like this woman gave births you eraised you or something like she was an adult when you were a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is so funny. There's nothing you could do. I mean, Jonah, you did.
Speaker 4: You did this when you got caught using a fake idea at Borders bookstore.
Speaker 2: You just left.
Speaker 5: That's using a fake idea Borders. What is happening at Borders?
Speaker 3: I had a little bit of a scam going where I was buying these books at Walden Books on sale and then returning them to Borders to get store credit to buy CDs with. So I'd spend like twenty bucks on books at Walden Books on sale.
Speaker 2: I guess sale books at Borders.
Speaker 3: And so I was using a fake ID because I had one from this guy I went to college with, and I would use it.
Speaker 2: Wait, you probably didn't even need an ID.
Speaker 3: To do Yes, you need an idea. You did need an ID, and I got nervous at Borders Corporate was keeping track of all these transactions. I was going to catch on. So I used this fake ID. But the woman working at Borders it was my friend Matt's older sister, and so I had this idea out with this guy Paul, and I had it out and I was doing this transaction. She came over and she goes, oh, hey, Jonah, and then she the guy was like, is your name Jonah or Paul? And they were both looking at me, and I was trying to return all these weird books and then I was just like hold on, I forgot something in my car and I just left. And then my friend called me that night. He's like, yeah, my sister said, you came into Borders. You were turning all these books with a fake ID, and then she asked you about it. You just left. I was like, yeah, I don't know. It's weird, right, I don't. I was like a teenager. I just kind of my brain couldn't compute what to do. So I was like, I guess I should just like leave.
Speaker 5: Like I would have been like, yeah, but my real name is Paul. But everyone calls everyone.
Speaker 3: Calls me ide this person looked nothing like me.
Speaker 1: See, there was little to know ever going in it was.
Speaker 3: It was such a weird I probably didn't have to use the idea. It was an extra step of security. But it's actually what sunk me there. It is when.
Speaker 2: Charlie's called her mom over, where did you go? Hold on, I have to go to my car.
Speaker 5: Well, so what happened was okay, So the first time she called her over this group of women and then this one woman emerged who was her mother.
Speaker 1: Incredible, yes, mother.
Speaker 5: But the second time when she calls her mom over, she's like yes, she's like kind of doing one of these like she's like looking around like mom. And then she finally got her mom and I was like, I'm leaving, and I was. I made it that I was leaving because I didn't want to face her mother worse. So I was like, I was like, I'm leaving, I am leaving. Jacob, my boyfriend, Jacob, let's go, we need to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my gosh, wow, wow. Yeah, that's an incredible story.
Speaker 5: I'm I don't know why because it was because it was it felt like it felt like a Vanessa Barr MoMA. So at this party I'm really bad with faces and names, especially especially famous white women with brown hair. Yeah, I think she is, like, no, Charlie's is blonde. I know I know Charlie's. But there were these people at the party and I was introduce myself to them. But I think they thought I was trying to play it cool because I'd be like, what's your name and she'd be like January Jones.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, also, but she didn't know.
Speaker 5: She didn't say like that. She said January. She said, Okay, want to be clear. She didn't go, she didn't go no, And I don't feel bad about it.
Speaker 3: But she said.
Speaker 5: She goes, she goes, my name is January because I had never I had never heard of January Jones, and I was like oh, and I was like, oh, I've never been any one named January before, like and then I said, how do you know Charlie's. So I think it looked like I was this like unfamous person being like, I don't know who you guys are. But some of them I didn't know who they were. But it's not a testament to them not being famous, as a testament to me not knowing every famous person. So I felt like it felt really silly for me to go to like a three or four families.
Speaker 1: And what do you do well?
Speaker 2: And to their credit, they didn't go, oh, they could have you.
Speaker 5: They could have went bananas on me. They could have been like, they could have given me the famous version of actually we've already met.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly, or they could have given you a twist on no and I don't care. Or they could have gone they could have gone, I'm famous and like you should be absolutely you know.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: They offered me a lot of grace.
Speaker 5: January Jones and the guy who plays Beast in X Men offered me a lot of grace when I was like because I was. I was talking to his girlfriend who's also an actor, his wife who's also an actor, and then he was introduced as her husband, and I was like, oh, so what do you guys doing? And everyone I'm like, well, who are you?
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 5: Because I always say my name, my name is Bob. I have a show on HBO just so people don't feel the awkwardness of having to like be like, and you should know who I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: But this is good because it makes you look like you said, it makes you look pretty cool, like you're you're not starstruck, You're not you know, You're just like, oh, hey, we're regular people.
Speaker 1: But I hope they don't think I was trying to play it cool.
Speaker 2: No, they don't, and they probably they don't and.
Speaker 3: Probably appreciated it too.
Speaker 4: They totally appreciated to be But also, can I ask you, this made me think of one other thing?
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm sure you've done other things like this where you could go back, but like I'm thinking if you had like some kind of a like drag Race reunion or something like that. And what I'm saying is, I went to a SNL party at the beginning of this most current season because I happened to be in town for this other thing I was in New York. I ended up going to the SNL after party, and I have not I had not seen that season of SNL yet really, and I certainly didn't know who any you know, I used to know who all the writers, all the crew, everybody was, and I didn't know.
Speaker 1: That were you on with this year?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, this year?
Speaker 4: And I left at the same time actually, so I was at this party, and I wanted to congratulate everyone on a great show. And I even though I hadn't seen the show because I just came to the party, but I'm sure it was a great show. And I started saying congratulations to this group of people, and I knew that at least one or two of them were writers on the show. But so I just looked around a circle of people and I said, congrats, your sketches were so good and.
Speaker 2: What a show.
Speaker 4: And I know for a fact that I now know in retrospect that like one of the people I was talking to, like I was congratulating his girlfriend almost he was a writer. I was congratulating his girlfriend almost more than him. And I was just saying to everyone in this circle of people because I was like, this has got to be at least fifty percent.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's exassrate.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: A cater was like Vanessa Bayer on my sketchule and I go, you.
Speaker 4: Did so good, And just looking around, cause again, very talent. I know that whoever did write it is very talented. I just don't kind of been there for a long time. It's weird to be It's kind of how I feel like whenever I go to Chicago too now, like I used to do comedy in Chicago. That's where it kind of started, and I just am like everybody here. So when people like this happened to me yesterday, when people say to me, have we met?
Speaker 3: Have you?
Speaker 4: And I can tell they're being genuine like they genuinely are like, why do I look familiar? I say, I used to be on SNL And then immediately they're like, that's it.
Speaker 2: And then because I used to not do.
Speaker 4: That when people would recognize me and it's you sort of look like an asshole if you're like, no, I don't think so, and then they're like do I know you from this? And you're like no, And then like if it does get if you do get to the point where they realize it's from SNL, then you look like sort of a jerk or I look like sort of a jerk for not just like cut but if someone so, if I saw you at I like us making up the full scenario.
Speaker 2: If I saw you.
Speaker 1: At air one, my goodness.
Speaker 4: Sorry because you wanted to get a really smooth.
Speaker 2: Five dollars smoothie.
Speaker 1: I'm getting a waygoo beef at Airwe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry, you're just having so you're getting your waygoo beef, you're smoothie, You're getting those little macaroons that are like sort of an impulse by when you're in the line and I see you, it's not me, it's this.
Speaker 1: Some lady.
Speaker 4: Some lady comes up to you and says, do I know you from somewhere? What is your response?
Speaker 1: So this happened to me a lot. Yes, I'm on guard.
Speaker 5: I'm on guard because I get a mistaken for two other celebrities.
Speaker 3: All the time you do.
Speaker 5: Yes, I get mistaken for Miss Jay from Project Runway, Okay, which is only wow to be because she is sixty five years old and I'm thirty.
Speaker 4: Yes, this is like when Jonah got mistaken Jonah, who did you get mistaken for?
Speaker 3: Malcolm Gladwell.
Speaker 1: Let me google Malcolm Gladwell.
Speaker 5: Malcolm Gladwell, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Jonah used to have the said bigger hair, bigger hair and no mustache, but.
Speaker 2: Malcolm Gladwell's got to be.
Speaker 3: Someone did a double take in Vanessa's building and they came over like, looked at me, looked away, then looked back at me, walked over, excuse me, and Malcolm Gladwell is he black?
Speaker 1: Is Malcolm Gladwell black?
Speaker 5: For those you don't know. For those of you who don't know, Jonah does not look black. I'm just gonna pive it out in the air right now. Jonah does not look black. So I get him taken for Miss j from I Get Mistaken. I get was taken for Titus and Burgess from Unbreakable Jimmy Schmidt.
Speaker 1: All the time, I had this lady in the in the.
Speaker 5: San Francisco airport and she's holding my ID hostage as she she's like holding it back and she's like, if you don't know, like imagine if I hold it out. But then she she puts it back to her shoulder and she goes, do I know you from somewhere? And I just said I don't know, and she goes, I feel like, were you on TV? I said, yeah, I was on TV. And she goes, oh, you're Miss Jay and I said I'm not Miss Jane. And she goes and they always say this.
Speaker 1: Are you sure? Always?
Speaker 5: And I say, I'm sure I'm not, Miss Jay. Can I please have my pass word back?
Speaker 1: Please? So?
Speaker 5: And then another lady at the same airport the same day, coning she goes, do I know you for somewhere? And I goes, I don't know, do you? And then then she's like, are you like famous? And I was like, I mean kind of, And then she goes, you're tightest burgess. She actually, you're tightest and ramaedon is what she said. And I said, oh no, that's not that's not who I am. And she goes and those every time. Are you sure? And I said I am. I'm positive. So then I don't want to go into being because the reason why I don't want to do is because they might think I'm someone else and they're like, actually, I don't know who you are, And then I'm in that really awkward situation.
Speaker 1: My resume. I'm like, I wan't drag race, I don't watch that.
Speaker 5: I was on we hear, I don't watch to have a podcast, not do that either, And I'm like, well, then I don't know where you don't be from lady.
Speaker 3: Like you got to prove your relevance to some stranger, you know. It's like too much.
Speaker 5: Whenever I'm sitting on the plane and someone like walks past and working nice to me and they go, oh my god, I love you, and I go oh my god, think I go, thank you, and the person next to me does.
Speaker 1: Know who I am, and then they're like, who are who are you?
Speaker 5: And I go, my name is Caldwell and they go but like, why does why does that guy know you? And I always go, I was going, we're friends from high school. We've been doing this bit for years. Every time we see each other in public, we always act like the other one's famous and he got me this time, and that is that is what I say every single time.
Speaker 4: That is so smart. You know, I will say too before we go to a commercial break. The other thing that happens to me a lot, and I don't know if this happens to you, is people used to come up to me a lot, and still sometimes this happens. They go, I don't really watch TV and I don't watch SNL or anything, but my wife is a huge fan.
Speaker 1: Oh oh.
Speaker 5: I always run into the sisters, brothers and wives and husband of huge fans of mine because I or they'll say, or they'll be like like they'll meet you at a party with them.
Speaker 1: They'll be like, and I didn't watch your show.
Speaker 4: Sorry, sorry to watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, but I didn't. I didn't I know you had your show, your show.
Speaker 4: Like I don't really watch I don't watch shows, but like I know my wife, Like I have no idea who you are, but I know that.
Speaker 2: Like like I I'm.
Speaker 4: So sorry, Like you look like every other person to me, and literally, like I have no reaction to seeing you.
Speaker 2: But my cousin is like a huge.
Speaker 4: Fan, and so if they knew that I saw you, they would care, which I absolutely.
Speaker 5: Do not when they tell you how much they don't, they aren't there, I'm familiar they are with you.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen your show. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, like you're gonna care if they've seen your show or not.
Speaker 4: Also, you don't have to come up to me just to tell me you don't know I have any idea who I am, and you've never.
Speaker 2: Seen any of my work. Yeah, it's okay, just skip it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they will make a bee line therectly.
Speaker 2: Like to tell you they've never heard of you.
Speaker 1: I don't know who you are. I don't. I don't, honestly, I.
Speaker 4: Don't really care, but I know someone who does and I don't know why because I don't see I'm not familiar.
Speaker 1: Well with that.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a quick commercial break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: With the dragon.
Speaker 4: And we're back now, Bob, we'd like to play a game with you that we call back to the present.
Speaker 2: We've got to go back to the present, and this name.
Speaker 4: Is obviously a hilarious take on this nostalgic back to the Future film franchise. In this segment, we each get to say something from our childhood that we wish would come back, and to give you a little time to think, we'll do our answers first, and just remember there are no wrong answers.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm ready, So, Vanessa, what's your what's your pick? Pack back to the present?
Speaker 4: Do you remember from when we were kids, there were these Fisher Price microphones that were attached to a portable speaker and maybe like a little radio, and you could carry this little cube thing around and you could sing into it and you had sort of a speaker and you could sort of sing your heart out to whatever you wanted.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the thing would kind of vibrate inside. The thing would kind of like like there was like a thing in the thing, because was it an actual portable was it the one that kind of vibrated The one.
Speaker 4: That I had had a microphone that kind of it was almost like a cube thing and it had like a little handle and a microphone and you could see it actually yeah, and it actually amplified. And I remember I was so into it that I remember I had to get a new one because I kept the batteries in the first one too long and they sort of started to rot. But I used it a lot, and I would just go around singing into my portable microphone thing. And I wish I had one now because I do think it would be fun, like when people came over to be like, who wants to sing into the microphone?
Speaker 2: You know, given that we have phones and stuff, I'm sure there's a way to do this. This is more high tech. But I really liked it.
Speaker 1: There's a microphone right in front of you. You actually have a mic right right there.
Speaker 2: It's true, and get what you're saying, but it's not amplify. I don't have a speaker.
Speaker 1: This is true. That is true, True to that true? At what those singing?
Speaker 3: Great question?
Speaker 2: A lot of.
Speaker 4: A lot of Cyndy Lapper. I think I would do what to do with it, but I would do more lip syncing to that, Like we.
Speaker 5: Were singing like like which we don't like get into the groove or material.
Speaker 2: Girl, I really love True Colors.
Speaker 1: True Colors, Cydey Lapper, that's.
Speaker 2: That's oh which Madonna? You're right? Well, how do I not know the difference between Sidney Law. It's like get a life, Vanessa.
Speaker 1: I thought you were jumping over to Cydy. I thought thought, yeah, yeah, well yeah, but.
Speaker 4: What Madonna's song? I sang like a Virgin a lot. I didn't know what it meant. And Jesus, yeah, I sing a lot of like a virgin was the thing I sang the most. And True Colors.
Speaker 5: You strike me as a child who looked the way you look now Like I feel like if I saw a picture of you as it is, isn't your podcast like a picture of you as a kid. Yeah? Yeah, I feel like if I saw a picture of you as a child out of the blue, I would be like, that is Vanessa Beyer.
Speaker 1: I feel that in my heart of hearts.
Speaker 5: Eighteen things to know about Jewish comedian Vanessa Bayer.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, whoa.
Speaker 1: Do you know this article?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: You want to verify a few of these.
Speaker 5: You were born in Ohio, that's right in nineteen eighty one to reform Jewish family.
Speaker 3: True, that's.
Speaker 2: This must have been some kind of Jewish publication.
Speaker 1: You have an older brother named Jonah.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: Vanessa and her brother at Tennis Sunday School and Hebrew school every week, well kind of Hebrew school.
Speaker 2: Just when we were getting ready for a bar and bought Mitzvah's.
Speaker 1: Vanessa had her by Mitzvah on Masada Messada.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in Israel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: At fifteen, Vanessa was diagnosed with a cute limb.
Speaker 2: Ful p plastic leukemia.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: Not really Jewish of me.
Speaker 5: But Vanessa went to the University of Pennsylvania, where she first got into comedy with our all female group Bloomers.
Speaker 1: Bloomers There it is there, it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's an easy one to find out. This is still talks about it constantly.
Speaker 5: After college, Vanessa moved to Chicago and studied at Second Second City. I am, you're very good at these things then, and let's go to that. Vanessa felt like she had a very special job. And that's not as fact. Few The fact thirteen is, Vanessa felt like she had a very special job.
Speaker 1: At I did.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely a fact, What the fuck.
Speaker 1: You hung out with Heim the band? Yes, and you left twenty seventeen. That's right. Oh, those are all that.
Speaker 4: Jewish publication has it all right? And I wish I could find one of these things about you. So Olivia, maybe get on that note. Jonah, what would you bring back to the present if you could bring anything from your childhood back to the present.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I was thinking the Carvin guitar mail order catalog. I don't know if either you probably remember this, but Carvin, do you remember? It's called Kaiso Guitars. Now, they had like electric guitars and basses that they would sell these catalogs mail orders. So they didn't sell these guitars at stores, but you could nail these kind of flame finishes and amps. And I would look at this catalog for hours and just pick out the guitars i'd want. And I thought that was kind of cool to mail order a guitar. What do you two thing?
Speaker 1: And you you would be able to like design it or they're just are they already design?
Speaker 3: No? I think they're like they had different ones, but you could like add different features to them and stuff and kind of customize them.
Speaker 1: What was the dream guitar.
Speaker 3: Oh, such a good question.
Speaker 2: Actually, great question.
Speaker 3: I found a carbon catalog.
Speaker 5: Oh, Vanessa, this is a good take your headphones off for one second, Jones, to take your headphones off for just one just Jonah, No, just Jonah, No, Vanessa, players back on, players back on. So whatever, he says, this is a good birthday gift the kid for him when he described.
Speaker 1: Come on back, Jonah. The perfect guitar, perfect guitar.
Speaker 3: It's tough. It's tough. I like this DC one twenty seven, just like a wooden strat. You never see like those guitars are Google that natural wood.
Speaker 2: A wooden strat, fer star.
Speaker 3: Caster, stratocaster shape, body shape. But yeah, I liked all these. I just really liked looking at them. I just like looking at all them.
Speaker 1: And I still don't. You don't want flames, right thing? Because you you mentioned of flames.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, yeah, more of like a flamed finish like wood, flamed wood like kind of like with like the different textures and layers.
Speaker 2: I go, oh, I thought I also thought you meant like drawings of like fire in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you thought you were like red or something, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: A sticker on there, But yeah, I don't know, was it. I just you know, and I do this now. Actually, I go to like guitar sites and just look at pictures of guitars I'm never going to buy.
Speaker 2: I remember because we had so many catalogs in our house.
Speaker 4: I do remember the carbon catalog because I remember being bummed out if that was the one I picked up. Not to burn your thing, but because I was more interested in like clothes and jewelry and stuff. I would pick up a catalog and I'd be like, and if the Carvin was the only one that was around, you know, I'd have to just look at pages and pages of guitar stuff that you know, as someone who didn't play guitar, I didn't have that sort of Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's not fun to look at a catalog of a product you're not interested in. That's right, Yeah, makes sense, that's right, Bob. What would you like to bring back to the present.
Speaker 1: So it was something that I didn't experience.
Speaker 5: I don't actually experiencing myself, but I saw it and it was one of the weirdest things of the early two thousands. I don't know what happened, why this thing was a thing. It was everywhere. It was undescribable. It made no sense when you looked at it. I want a company to do one now and update it. The PT Cruiser, Yeah, wow, those of you who don't know the PT Cruiser was. It wasn't a mini van. It's not a station wagon, the PT Cruiser. Imagine if you made a mini van, okay, but chopped off the last third of the car, and then now there's wood paneling. There's wood paneling on the side of the PT Cruiser, right. And I felt like in the early two thousands on the road there were there were only three cars on the road, and there was there was a Ford Focus Okay, there was a PT Cruiser, and there was the remake of the Volkswagen Beetle, which was huge. When the Beetle came back, people went bananas, yes, buying these Beetles.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know.
Speaker 3: The other car I'm thinking about two in this category that was really popular for what was the Mini Cooper?
Speaker 1: Remember those the Mini Cooper. There's a Mini Coopers in my building. There's two.
Speaker 5: There are some Mini Cooper extremists who live in my building and they have two tandem parking spots with two two Mini Coopers.
Speaker 1: Back to back wow. Wow.
Speaker 5: And I remember being younger and for some reason thinking that Mini Driver had something to do with the Mini.
Speaker 2: Cooper And I don't know what sense.
Speaker 4: What about the Neon cars that the commercial In the commercial they said, Hi, yeah, all the ads were just like high Oh.
Speaker 1: Was that one?
Speaker 3: I remember those. I don't think those were as desirable.
Speaker 2: I think it those cars must have not been out for very long Neon.
Speaker 5: I also remember that car commercial was really great. But there was a do you remember Dirty Vegas? Dirty Vegas had this one huge song. I'm gonna try to remember it real quick. I'm typing it in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The big song is called Days Go By, Days Go By, and still I think of you.
Speaker 8: Days.
Speaker 5: But anyway, it was like a big techno thing and they were in this like car commercial. I think, I said, I man, did a scared sketch about it one one, actually, but you were too young to have it was way before you had have been older than you. But but no, but but you were in you were like in high school at the time when this video, because I was in the middle school.
Speaker 4: I was school okay, sorry and sorry I kind of said I'm older than you in the same way that I could have said no, and I don't feel bad about it.
Speaker 1: I love Bitchy Beyer. BITCHI Beyer.
Speaker 5: Is this needs to be a new character. Hi, it's me Bitchy Bayer, and I don't give a fuck about anything. I don't care about your feelings and I don't care about how you feel because I'm bitchy Bayer. But yeah, I answered, the PT Cruiser, what an interesting card I want And I want to see an updated too, not just bring it back, but I want to see a company I don't know who makes the PT Cruiser.
Speaker 3: Is it a Chrysler, Yeah, it's a Chrysler. It's a Chrysler.
Speaker 5: The Mitsubishi Eclipse was the commercial that used the Dirty Vegas.
Speaker 1: Song days go by.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: It looks like a PT cruisers in production from two thousand to twenty ten. So yeah, it's been a while.
Speaker 2: And was what you loved about it? Partially the faux would well the wood.
Speaker 5: So not every PT Cruiser had wood paneling on it, but some of them did, which was just such a weird.
Speaker 2: Such a weird choice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, truly truly strange, And I think what I what I really loved about the PT Cruiser was how people who had them were really into personalizing them, like in the way that someone personalized like like like a Toyota Camri or like one of these tricked out little cars. But it's not a sports car. It's a big, clunky yeah, piece of equipment. Yeah, And if you google PT Cruiser, there's people who have them on like Monster truck wheels. People will have them, like someone has made a PT Cruiser limousine. And by the way, all I google all of it was Google PC Cruise. I didn't go like tricked out crazy PC crewse.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this car just inspired people to just do some really interesting stuff. And I want a PT Cruiser, but I don't want to I don't want to vinage car, but I want a nice new car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you want a new PT Cruiser. That makes sense, Like I want a new Fisher Price microphone, you know what I mean? Like I want we want new versions. Jonah, you probably want a new carving catalog.
Speaker 3: With it all the you know, new technology, guitar tech. Yeah, yeah, no, it would be great.
Speaker 1: Are you tech people?
Speaker 3: I'm a little bit I'm not great. Vanessa is definitely not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm kind of like, what button do I press to one.
Speaker 5: Of my best friends. Her home, her entire home is Google. She has everything in her home is Google, Google everything. She just tells Google to do things. And one time we were on like a zoom call and one of my friends jokingly said, hey, Google, turn off all the lights and her house went completely. She did not find it funny. Well, we were dying laughing and she thought, Harry, unfunny.
Speaker 1: But we never did. He never did it again. That sounds But what would bitch Bearer say about it?
Speaker 2: Am I at the thing I think is at my house?
Speaker 1: I think you're just on the zoom call and you saw us make her lights go out, and we're like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm always yeah, I go the lights were already out for me because I'm so freaking bored assholes.
Speaker 1: That's with Bitchy Bear.
Speaker 4: She's here when she's here for you anytime. Now, Where can people find you? If people want to learn more and et cetera, you.
Speaker 1: Can go to Baba Dragweed dot com.
Speaker 5: I will be on tour with the Icon of Madonna starting in October in the UK and they were coming to America. But you gonna have to check out my I have three specials out on Amazon and iTunes and my ones, all suspiciously large Woman. My second special is called Baba Drag Queen Live a Carolines RP to.
Speaker 2: Carolines, Did Caroline's Closed?
Speaker 1: Caroline's Close? Yeah, Carolines Closed.
Speaker 5: And then my third special, which was filmed at a commedy on State, is called Woke Man in Address and it is available exclusively on my Patreon right now.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, wow, sounds amazing. So check all those out everyone.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, thank you so much for being here and to everyone for listening.
Speaker 4: If you enjoyed that, please subscribe to the podcast and keep it at For next week's episode of How Did We Get Where, we would discuss more stories from our childhood and cultural touchstones like when people say do you remember me?
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thanks, more pleasure
Speaker 4: The