Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Welcome to the podcast. Hello, Donald Faison.
Speaker 2: Hi, Zachary brav Hello is Joel Monique.
Speaker 1: We don't have Danel today, so when we say cut that Daniel to each other, Daniel will just hear it on the recording because he's not here today. Where is he, Joel?
Speaker 3: He's with his family do in a little reunion sexy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So listen, you've heard Donald and I talk about Cody Rigsby from Peloton so much. We really like him a lot. I've found him very entertaining and funny and motivational. I want to mention this is not an ad for Peloton. I don't even think there are are sponsors currently. But this is solely because I thought that Cody's a really interesting guy. He found a way to get me motivated to work out in a different way, and I thought that maybe he has some insights. We thought that he surely has some insights for people that want to get in shape and also just you know, achieving your goals, because this guy was where kean of McDonald's one day. Now he's one of the most successful trainers in the world. So right, Donald, we want to have Monk.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I'm excited to talk about COVID and you know how he saved a lot of people's lives by putting them on a bike and motivating them. And you know, he was probably the most popular person at that time. So I'm really interested in hearing what he has to say about his rise. And you know, I want to talk about Dancing with the Stars and Amanda Coloots as well.
Speaker 1: And I bet he's also gonna not mind sexual innuendo since he really enjoys that in Urendo in your endo, all right, Joelle, invite him in Cody rigsby everybody.
Speaker 2: Five six, seven, eight, stories about sure we made about a bunch of dogs and nurses.
Speaker 4: Said, he's a story natural. So Ganda here, Gader here.
Speaker 2: Stuff ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 5: Cody rigsban, wow, well an introduction, all that vibrato just for me.
Speaker 2: Yow, oh for you.
Speaker 1: You're even more handsome, not on my peloton screen, you are even hotter on the zoom call.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, thank you so much. That's very hot and hide me up straight man. And earlier we love you. Earlier you said you were busting loads.
Speaker 1: So you know, like, no, I didn't say that you'd like no I didn't say that, so the audience has context. Cody came on for a sound check and I said, Joelle, take him off because I don't want to start chatting with him and bust all my loads before recordings.
Speaker 2: That was the first innindo. Yes, and he hadn't even out of recording yet.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the show. We love you. I don't know, Donald, and I never knew if you were clocking how much we were talking about you, especially during the lockdown, because you were getting us through.
Speaker 3: Bro. You say, I've the grape fine many times, and then I've I've peeped in a few times, you know a few times before. So I'm uh honored to be.
Speaker 2: We're honored to have you, man.
Speaker 1: Okay, you really you really helped us both during lockdown. We both got bikes, but both got Pelton bikes, and we were talking about getting into it, and you know, I, of course, as a straight man, was like, Okay, I'm just gonna find the cutest chick. She'll motivate me, I'll want oh honest, no, I mean that's what my brain was thinking. And then I found this very handsome, very flamboyant came in and I never looked back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I found that the I found that the women I just was staring at the butt and now necessarily staring at the numbers.
Speaker 3: Right, okay, and so much done right? And then.
Speaker 2: I found you. And I don't know how it was I found you. I just said, I know. My wife was the one that said you should try Cody, and I was like what she was like, try Cody, And I put you on and I laughed for the whole ride. You made me laugh so hard at a time when I had just been crying, when I was, you know, so worried about what my family was going to happen with my family, when you know, when when life just seemed so flipped, when life just seemed like it was it was bysmal, you know what I mean. We were all so scared and didn't know what to do, and then here you come and you made me laugh at a time when I didn't think I could laugh. And uh, you know, one of your rides, I cried my eyes out because of all of the joy you brought me and all of the release that I got from the endorphins from the ride and the motivation and how I could keep going in that time and so you know, I really for real, man, like you really you saved my life. Man, at a time when I didn't think there was a bright spot when COVID, all of the news out there was just so dark, you know, Black Lives Matter, all of these things were going down, and there you were, and I just I just want to say, I want to give you flowers. Man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you. That's very kind, That's very very sweet. And I love I love when I hear stories like that, because it really, you know, you get lost in this auce of working and trying to build everything up and just staying busy, and then you forget, like the the purpose that's attached to the work that you do and the lives that you affect in like whatever you do, but specifically, you know, fitness, and especially during the during COVID, I forget almost just how that was one of the only like safe spaces or places of distraction that a lot of people had. Was like Okay, I'm doing I'm gonna work out for thirty minutes. I'm gonna forget there's a pandemic happened. I'm just gonna like be stupid and silly and have fun and it's always great to hear the impact, and so thanks for sharing that.
Speaker 1: I think for Donald and I, you know, you know, for the audience who doesn't know and doesn't use Peloton. Cody does a workout that's hard and challenging and you sweat your your ass off, but he's really funny. And I never worked out with anyone like that, and I wanted to know. I wanted to ask you how you came about finding that. I mean, obviously you're a funny person, but I never worked out with a trainer of any kind, and any either a video class or in real life who was making you crack up the whole time. And I thought like, wow, what a what a what an out of the box way to work out? And I just wondered how you came about finding that and what that when you how did you find your stride like that? Like how did it all come about? Like how did you join Peloton? And then and then how did you discover your your sense of humor in doing the class?
Speaker 3: Well, like any gay child that's had trauma, you know, I over compensate with humor and wit, So that's part of it, no, you know, I I reflected on this in my book, and I was talking about like how did I kind of get to this place. You know, I've been at Pelton just today. I think they sent me an email with today is my like nine year anniversary. So I've been at Pelton for nine years.
Speaker 2: Thundrous applause Daniel, Ye thunders.
Speaker 3: Didn't start sound there will? We will, so thank you. So it's been a long journey and it's been a lot of like ups and downs and trying different things. And I think when I first came in it listened. I had never taught a cycling class and there was a fitness class. Before I started at Pelton, I was a dancer. I was an entertainer. I kind of like knew how to be on camera. And so when I first started, I kind of was trying to copy the people that was around me, like Robin Robin Arson and Jess King and just like trying to like be like them. And that wasn't sticky. That was like not successful for me. And it wasn't until I kind of like researched my class kind of like watched it, saw what was going on, and then gave myself permission to be myself and like I'm always the person in my friend group that's like talking all the time, or making jokes or just like being being a dumb ass. And so I think once I gave myself permission to do that, I think a lot of people responded to that and really found it different than most people in the fitness space. And I think that's really what I've been able to have the privilege to do is kind of make fitness not so scary by being a dumb ass, being a clown, and allowing myself to be like self deprecating humor so that people feel more invited to a somewhat scary space. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's a good way to put it. Because people dread working out usually not everyone, Yeah, a lot of people dread working people. But when I think about taking your class, I know that I'm gonna I'm gonna laugh. I know there's going to be humor involved, and it's more likely to to make me want to do it, which I think is genius. I don't think anyone's ever done that before, and that I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I was wondering if, at at any point in the last three years, were people like just wanting to buy you dinner when you walked out into restaurants and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean sometimes. I mean like even I was on I was on Fire Island a few weeks ago, and the line for the bar, for the bar, did.
Speaker 1: You break Fire Island? Did you Bland?
Speaker 3: Always?
Speaker 1: You know they say break the Internet? Did you break Fire Island?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, she's well known on the island. It's all good. But I remember the line for the bar being so long, and this fierce little lesbian who was a fan, was like, do you want to drink? So like it saved me a little bit of time and I got a free drink. But you know, I always it feels weird to accept that sort of stuff, But in that moment, I was like, you know what, Yes, I'll take you it are you no? Me and I have my boyfriend Andreas, who have been with for five years. We took a little hiatus for six months, but now we're back together.
Speaker 1: So I just imagine it's an adjustment for you since you know, you've become very famous and known pretty quickly, and it must be a bit of a an adjustment for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean, not like maybe not so in the like romance or hook up department. But because let's be honest, like my my demo is mostly like women of a certain age, and you out.
Speaker 1: That he's like Duald, I love that is like my demo is mostly women of a certain age and YouTube.
Speaker 3: No, listen, listen, listen. I'm always surprised. There's like a hashtag on the bike it says straight dudes for Cody, And I'm always very surprised when like the straight guys show up and they like are into what I'm putting down. I'm like, you know, I love to see it like we're not. So we're not. We don't fit into these boxes that we that we think we used to fit in, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Now how did you You just said you were a dancer and and I read you you worked at the Box in Manhattan?
Speaker 3: I did, Yes, Donald, you been there.
Speaker 2: I've not been to one of Manhattan. I've been to the one in London.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, anyway, for those who don't know, it's a it's like a kind of a burlesque crazy club where there's performances. Cody, what did you do there? You dance there?
Speaker 3: No? So this wasn't like a very transitional part of my life is like I had been dancing professionally, like a commercial dancer, back up Frednicky Minaj, Katie Perry, such and such videos all that, and I got some point where it was like, Okay, like this isn't paying the bills, but I don't know what's next. So I really kind of went out in to the world in New York. I came back from lah I was in LA for the summer, came back and I was like, I'm just gonna work my ass off and do what I need to do to make money. So I was like cater waitering, going to the gym, working at the box, doing some side gigs. And so I was at the Box and I worked in front of the house and it was kind of a ship job. So as you know, there's a very risk show where there's lots of crazy things going on and topless girls, and so my job was to stop everyone from taking pictures on their phone even at those job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So and then people are drunk at that time and night.
Speaker 3: They're drunk, they're annoying. So that's what I did at the Box. But fortunately the choreographer slash director.
Speaker 1: Cock blocker, Yeah, a professional talk blocker.
Speaker 3: Cocker. I can't remember what it was called. Oh god, it was so long ago. But yeah, the director knew I was a dance sir, and so he had a connection to Pelton. I was like, hey, this might be a good fit for you, and I literally was just like, yeah, here's another side gig I can do to make some some coin that's not cater watering. And then here we are, nine years later, right place, right time.
Speaker 1: Wow, did you how did you? I mean, spinning on the level that you do it is not easy and I and I wonder how you especially talking the whole time like you do. How did that transitioning from dancing on.
Speaker 2: This is the question that everyone wants to know. What what's that resistance on broy.
Speaker 3: Mine is like very similar to what I call out, Yeah, because in a honesty, I can't. I can't fake it. I can't fake it if I'm doing it like I need to do it and have a level of resistance that's.
Speaker 1: You have to talk the whole time. I was wondering, I know, but like.
Speaker 3: Babe, I can. I can sit here and talk about nothing for hours, So that's not the problem. And I've been doing it for nine years so my condition to it is is easy at this point. It's like, in all honesty, like a thirty minute second class is like nothing to me at this point. I'd just be honest not to flex or sound like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you do it for nine years, you'd expect that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, wait a second. My question was before Donald said that when you first transitioned to doing it, were you was it? Do you find it hard or did all your dancing cardio help you pick it up quickly?
Speaker 3: I think physically it wasn't like the I don't think physically it was the hardest thing to transition from dance to that. I think I had the endurance and like I worked out pretty regularly, So it wasn't that that that wasn't the hard part. It was more so I always I've always said this before, I always feel like Tom Cruise in the Minority Report when he's got that big ass screen open and like you're doing, he's like doing a million things at once. Like that's how teaching a peloton class is. Because you've got we had the studio audience, you've got the cameras, you've got the programming. You got to cue the music like you're doing all these things all at once to like simultaneously it together. So I definitely like fumbled and stumbled my way through the beginning, and even like the first community class that I did probably like a year ago, I mean nine years ago, I failed at because I was just like a hot mess, and so I had to go back to the drawing board and do it again. And then I was finally like an official instructor. So I think that was the hardest part, was just like balancing all the damn things you got going on. And then once I figured that out, then I was like, Okay, how do I make this funny and stupid and fun You know, I.
Speaker 1: Have so many questions. My next one is are you fully in charge of the music you play? Or does anyone wagh in on what music you pick?
Speaker 3: No, I'm full, fully in charge. I feel like I could never relinquish control of that because it's it's such an integral part of like the vibe and the energy and the brand and all that sort of stuff, So it would be really hard. I think there's like unless it's like a theme ride or I don't know if I should say this, but like we just had Barbie rides and I the move for the movie, and I are they like, well, I think that's like those were like official, those were official rides. And I think I'm glad that he didn't accept it when I did, because I am a SAG member and I think if I did the ride that would be technically like promoted, it would have promoting the movie. I'm glad I declined it anyways, But I was like, how am I gonna The soundtrack doesn't hit for thirty minutes or twenty minutes for me, so I don't think I would have fun teaching that class. Like there's like I listened to this. I looked at the soundtrack and I'm like, Okay, there's like three or four like solid tracks here, but like, I don't know if I could do a twenty minute, thirty minute ride to this, because like, I don't know, it's just not hitting for me specifically, right.
Speaker 2: So flash forward Dancing with the Stars, Nickoll, was it a no brainer or were you like, you know, I'm enjoying where I'm at right now, or were you like, you know, let's let's show the world who Cody is.
Speaker 3: Neither of you have done that right, no yet, but.
Speaker 1: Our friend you did it with our friend Amanda.
Speaker 3: Clutes, lovely Amandiclutes, who's a phenomenal dancer. It was kind of like, uh, I was like, Wow, this is a great opportunity. I'm like honored and like excited that they would even think of me to do it. So that was that I think going into it, I was like a little bit cockier or confident than I was once I like landed in the space. Dancing with the stars for me was like one of the most like one of the hardest things I've ever done mentally, physically and emotionally. I'm so glad that I did it. I would never do it again. Like if you put a million dollars in front of me, I think I would be like sorry, sorry, says I'm good, Like I'm not, I'm not goods.
Speaker 1: Just wait to go into detail on that. Like because of the amount of how you have to pick up choreography so quickly, Is that was that? Why?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think it's just like a lot of it, Like you're learning, Like I was a dancer, Like I danced, but like the ballroom dance is so technical and so different than a five six seven eight in a music video. So I think that's where I got a little bit cocky. And then once I like landed, I was like, oh shit, this is harder than I thought it was gonna be. That's one thing. Reality TV is so produced, and even no matter how good you do or how bad you do or whatever, there's so many different elements that go into like the scoring or the feedback that they give you. And for me, it was hard to separate like my own validation or my own worth from the idea and the fact that there it was a produced television show, like you know, like it's hard to not take what they're saying or the scores, so like personally, yeah, and that was hard for me, like emotionally. And then like from fucking like Labor Day to Thanksgiving, I had zero days off. And that's not just like me like hyping up like work culture or like you know, because you also had to keep doing peloton. Yeah. So but even I feel like even if I wasn't doing peloton, there wouldn't have been days off because you're rehearsing every day physically like non stop. So it just was it just was lot to take on. And yeah, and just like I don't know, people are nasty and rude and oh yeah, you see, like, no matter how hard.
Speaker 1: I tried, did you go down the rabbit hole of reading your haters and ship?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, like as much as I try not to, it's like, you know, i'd go on Twitter and look at look at stuff, and you'd see the nasty things that people would say or dog on you, and I don't know I should as much as I try not to do that, Like I'm only human and I'm curious, and unfortunately I got caught in those crossfires before.
Speaker 2: So that's the fucked up thing. They know you look, you look, That's why they write that ship exactly ship, so fuck you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But on the other hand, it was like super challenging. I grew so much. I you know, it forded me a lot of opportunities during and after, and it's like such a such a special part of like my story. So I'm glad that I did it, but it was also like one of the most challenging and difficult things that I ever did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. I was thinking about you and Amanda because you know, sometimes they give people who are quote unquote dancers shit for going on the show because you're like you're how is this how is this a challenge? And Amanda, who was a roquette, which is closer to ballroom dancing than you, who were you know, whatever kind of dancer you call it, music video hip hop, I'm not sure what you'd say it is. But she was like, this is really really fucking hard. She's like, I was a roquette, but this is not I was not a ballroom dancer. And she really found it very very hard.
Speaker 3: And she and like, listen, she had like I mean, she had great scores, and she was much more technical than I am. And yeah, I mean there was a point where we were bush exhausted and it was just so much.
Speaker 1: And the whole world is weighing in on you. I mean everyone who watches it. I mean, that'd be so hard, because it's one thing to just get trolled or shot on just for being alive and being a public figure. But you're going on a show that's a competition where you are judged, so you're saying, like, judge me, motherfuckers, and people are very happy, to.
Speaker 3: Happy, very happy.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after these fine words. Another thing I wanted to ask you was what's it like in the culture of Pelton, because I imagine you're the one of the most I know that you're one of the most famous people that are doing it. Is there is it ever uncomfortable with your peers because you've kind of broken out as as the face or one of the stars of the company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna I was gonna just to piggyback on that you are one of the faces. There are several faces of Peloton, but you are. And then there's people that you know, do y'all ever run into each other because it doesn't seem like you're in the same studio. Some people are in different areas.
Speaker 1: No, they're all in New York.
Speaker 3: I think, well, well that's sort of true. Okay, So just I'll go the first question. So there's a New York studio and that's probably where like, let's say thirty five to four of the instructors are I don't know their math is. And then there's a UK studio which has our English team and the German team, so that's probably another ten to fifteen people. So that's a total I think of fifty or so instructors at this point. So the vast majorities in New York City. In New York City, there's four studios, So you've got the yoga studio, the Strength Studio, the tread Studio, and the cycling Studio. We all we depending on your schedule, Like I see about the same on a regular basis, Let's say ten instructors. I guess like I see the same ten instructors, and then you know, there's like events that we have that we all kind of like cross paths and see each other. And then we just had probably at the beginning of summer, our instructor Summit where like all of the instructors from all across the globe came together and we had a very lovely, like two or three intense but fun days. And as far as my colleagues and like compare each other's success or whatever, I think that's kind of what we're getting out a little bit. Fortunately, everyone has been cast to kind of like be in their own lane and also share their story and appeal to different groups of people. So you know, I try to think in this like abundance mindset that there are enough seats at the table and there's enough opportunities within Peloton and outside of Peloton for all of us to like thrive and have our thing going, because, like I said at the beginning, when I was trying to copy Robin ars on and like be her, I'm not an ultra marathon on her. I'm not a vegan, I'm not a mom. I'm not like all these things that she is that she can speak to on the peloton platform and off and get all these opportunities. So I think that's the beauty of it, is, like there are enough seats at the table and there's a lot to do, and it's I don't think it's ever I don't think it's ever like awkward or there's any sort of like weird jealousy. I think that we're all kind of rooting for each other the best set we can. And I think it would be silly to think that some of the opportunities that other people have I should have because I'm gonna get what comes what comes to me. I guess I.
Speaker 1: Know, but that I even said, Cody, I've been watching a lot of Below Deck med and I just want to know. I just want to know if there's ever any friction or if you all get hammered and like people say shit, like I picture the no, I picture the Peloton locker room like below deck med and I need to know if that's true.
Speaker 3: No, you know what, the only thing like, I A, we're not a drink We're not a lot of drinkers. I know. It's so annoying, like we don't drink a lot, so nobody's getting wasted and doing stupid shit. And in honesty, like the heat. The most heated drama I think is like the green room. And I will, like I get very upset with some of the girls because they go into these green rooms and they leave like there make up, their hair, they're clothes all in there, and they forget that like, hey, I need to go in there too. So it's like literally like it's like literal brothers and sisters fighting over who gets to use the bathroom that is the tea. I'm sorry, I know you want more.
Speaker 2: I know you wanted more.
Speaker 3: I know you want me like spilling drinks, like throwing a drink on tune day and me slapping Alex to song and me calling, you know, Kendall a bitch to her face like it's just not happening.
Speaker 1: And then Captain Sandy comes in and it's.
Speaker 3: Like and then and then they're like, hey, hey, hey, hey, we didn't get that on camera. Can we do it all again? And do that all again?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 3: So unfortunately I don't have any hot tea for you.
Speaker 2: Hey, is that your real wallpaper behind you? Or are you in a hotel right now?
Speaker 3: It is my This is the is the guest room. I'm actually I have a friend staying with me from Brazil and he's this is an air mattress that I'm sitting on and this is the guest room. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like your wallpaper. It's very It's Gucci.
Speaker 1: Is it occy wallpaper? Treating you well?
Speaker 3: Actually you know what? I got it for free because someone had it left over.
Speaker 1: So I was like, you found some Gucci wallpaper.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was listening to you the other day and you were and you were doing you were you were spinning to that song to the left, to the left, and then and you and you said something that made me laugh so hard. You go, uh, she goes, I could have another you in a minute. But what's the lyric? I forgot? Matter of fact, he'll be here, That was the lyric.
Speaker 3: He'll be here in a minute.
Speaker 1: You go, I can't have a man here in a minute. It's called Grinder, and then you go, I was laughing so hard, you go, I might have to lower my standards, but he'd be here in a minute, exactly.
Speaker 3: Listen, all of us have have phones, access to quick and easy hookups if we want it. But I don't know if you've ever been on some of these apps.
Speaker 1: But men more than other dude, I mean sorry, gay men more than more than straight men, because.
Speaker 3: We're wrees, we're sluts, we're okay.
Speaker 1: Donald and I are not Donald and I are not on Grinder yet. But it seems to me like you're not really exaggerating, like a man could be there in like three minutes.
Speaker 3: Literally. It might. It might be a certain caliber of a certain man. But you know, like if I'm trying to get my dick wet and I don't have high standards and we can make it happen pretty.
Speaker 1: Quickly a gay man, we might have to cut this, Joelle Jewel, Okay, Joell, you'll tell me if we need to cut this.
Speaker 3: Because they because you'll get canceled or I will No.
Speaker 1: You're not going to cancel it. Just this might be too risque even for our show. But a gay friend of mine told me that that certain gay men will post on grinder. I will be receiving loads between these hours.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's so, that's what we call them the community a pump and dump?
Speaker 1: Really, what's a pump and dump?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 1: Uh, this show just got good good.
Speaker 2: We just turned.
Speaker 1: My god, what's a pumping? Because Donald and I are unfamiliar.
Speaker 3: I have never partaken in this. No judgment, no judgment, no judge. I don't try to judge anybody's sexual desires nor what they're We've learned.
Speaker 2: We've learned a lot from Joel. She's told us this is all life is life.
Speaker 3: Joel's going to pumping ups.
Speaker 1: Okay, so no, Joel doesn't pumping up. I don't think you're pumping dump. No judgment.
Speaker 2: If you do no judgments over here, will you explain.
Speaker 1: To our audience that is not familiar? What is?
Speaker 3: This is so nasty just saying it like it's also like when you describe these sort of things, this is this is that's why they're trying to take away our rights. This is why we couldn't get married for so damn long because we're out here.
Speaker 1: Actually, so's say a.
Speaker 3: Particular person wants to be the receipt. I'm try put these in straight terms. Wants to be the receiver. So the bottom and they will maybe in fact, they will rent a hotel room or they will be giving strangers on the internet their address. So then said strangers will show up to said hotel room or home and just the bottom will be there ready to receive any trade of sex. And as you said before loads, So therefore that is the pump and dump. So from like one to three, I'm going to be at this hotel and you come in, you drop your drawers, you have sex with me, and you leave.
Speaker 1: But wait, the same friend told me that sometimes the man the recipient, you know, like the hash deck. I have to teach this to all, but that they will post market. Let me let me tell you, no, no, no, let me tell them, and then you tell me if I'm wrong, Donald, I don't know if I told you this ship. My friend told me that they on the one guy had on his butt cheek the like you know, the four and then you do the hash across. He had with the loads. He had asked the men to create lines and then a hash through for the through the fifth load.
Speaker 6: I'm horrified, who are you talking to.
Speaker 3: That you were talking about. Listen, you're not You're not wrong.
Speaker 1: My friend wasn't participating. He was telling me as a straight man. You probably don't know this is a thing on Grinder, But this is a thing on Grinder.
Speaker 3: It is it is?
Speaker 2: Are there things like this on other dating sites?
Speaker 1: Is this is Donald wants to know if this is available on Tinder?
Speaker 2: I'm man, so I don't get to You're just doing research. I would like to do some research. Is this like everywhere? Is this? How is this? How is this what dating sites are? Now?
Speaker 1: I think this is I think this is a particularly this is not as much of a hetero thing as far.
Speaker 3: It's just that the gays are like really unhinged and just like we are out here in these streets doing whatever we want. So you know, there's a little bit more. I don't even want to call it promiscuity because that's not what it is. It's just you know, sexual liberation and freedom. So like, you know, that's what some people are into, and more power to them as long as it's consensual. Adults, like you know, live your life. That's in a mind damn business. But yeah, all of all of what you're saying is true. And I would say, if you live in a major metropolitan city, I don't I don't think it would be hard for you to find said activity.
Speaker 1: Donald, Do you ever want to say announce that you're open to receive loads.
Speaker 2: I mean, first of all, I don't mind saying I'm open to receive loads my wife. My wife will be like, yo, dude, all these people at the house right, what the fuck is called.
Speaker 1: The doorbell rings? In case, he's like, babe, is it the door? Oh that's my first load. I'ney just send them upstairs, send them to the closet.
Speaker 2: Oh lord, let's tack a break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after these fine words. All right, we'll get back on track.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: Your favorite artist that you did you talk about the most, it seems to me, is Brittany. Is that true? Of course, Yes, she's your favorite?
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh yeah, I mean I've I think I'm just like, there's such a nostalgic attachment that I have to her. She she provided such amazing songs, performances looks throughout the height of my like adolescence. And if I would say the height of like pop culture, like, you can't you can't get better than that? Like the early two thousands of pop culture. T R like, yeah, I just have so many memories and you know music.
Speaker 2: I remember watching Brittany and being like, damn, she's so young. And then when she when Justin and her were dating and freaking, she became like and she came out with the snake and did I'm a slave for you. I remember, and Jamie Fox looked at Justin Timberlake on television and said, she bad. I remember. I just remember the you know, the little that happens when you know.
Speaker 1: You see somebody got a peep shift.
Speaker 2: I had a peep shift.
Speaker 3: You know. She went from sort of innocent girl to like, okay, like hot sex symbol.
Speaker 2: You know, well yeah, because you know you can say what you want about Oops, I did it again and hit me baby one more time. But that was like posing kind of. But when she hit that shit, that was when it was like I'm doing oh yeah, right exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I think that we have a lot in common.
Speaker 2: Cody.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, did you see her live ever a? Cody?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I see. I saw the Britney Spears. I saw her first tour and then I saw I don't think I saw anything after that until the Circus Tour, which I saw twice, the Femptale tour, and then the Vegas show.
Speaker 1: M So what about Beyonce? You also are a huge Beyonce thing.
Speaker 3: Guys, if you have not, if you're not purchased tickets to go see the Renaissance Sance World Tour, you are missing out on a once in a lifetime thing to see.
Speaker 1: Look at Joelle's face right now.
Speaker 3: I saw and I was so blown away that I had to see it again. And I saw this Saturday at MetLife and it's just like it is just like a singular thing to be alive in this time where like you get to see a woman that has made a twenty five year career an entire like an immense catalog of songs, and also just like the impact that she's had on like pop culture, and turn that into a two hour show that is immaculately designed, immaculately designed. It is like, I don't even want to compare it to seeing Michael Jackson, but it's the only thing that I could compare it to. Like you, just if you don't go see this, you're missing out on like a once in a lifetime.
Speaker 1: Opportunity, Joelle, what are your thoughts? They see you having a spiritual moment.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Okay, So seeing her on her birthday in LA and I'm dying Like Cody, I think twice is going at least. So I'm looking at New Orleans, which is where she's doing her last stop. Every time I see video, it's just a little bit better than the last show. The way she just continues to improve through.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: So I've never like had Beyonce money before. So this is my first Beyonce show. So I'm a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'm happy for you that you've got Beyonce ticket money. Now, I love that for you me too.
Speaker 6: I took a week off from where second mentally and spiritually prepair my little person coming.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be amazing.
Speaker 1: We did our live show. We made you miss somebody else who did we make you miss by accident?
Speaker 6: Megan the Stallion and Mariah Carey. They were doing Pride in l A.
Speaker 3: Oh they pulled you away from that.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was a sacrifice. It it's gonna He'll come back to me.
Speaker 3: I think, did you see it?
Speaker 1: Did y'all see Cardi? Did you see Cardi? B through the mic at someone's head.
Speaker 3: That was amazing, rightfully, so would throw at your face?
Speaker 2: You know, she don't know.
Speaker 3: You don't know.
Speaker 2: She don't even know if that was water or not too though. Man, she just got some ship thrown on her. Man, that could have been seen, That could have been anything.
Speaker 3: Man, did you see Carti's hair? You don't throw water hair the music going up?
Speaker 6: Like, I don't know, I would throw anything at Cardi. Her aim is perfect.
Speaker 2: Who knows? She doesn't miss? Okay, she hit?
Speaker 1: Did she hit her?
Speaker 6: She hit the person, pulled back, made eye contact and launched like Cardi b is a fighter.
Speaker 3: It's a dumb move. I can't understand why you would do it all.
Speaker 1: Right now, explain to me. I know the track didn't it wasn't affected at all, and I understand that she may have been speaking over it or wrapping over it. But do people care? Nobody cares.
Speaker 2: Nobody cares.
Speaker 3: That's not what she was not singing live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna tell me. Nobody cares. Nobody cares. Donald and I have a date to see Taylor Swift this week. We're very excited you got the tickets.
Speaker 3: We did not talk about you guys.
Speaker 2: Taylor Swift. Yet somebody's not somebody's clowning. Somebody's clowning.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you want to open this campt.
Speaker 2: No, No, I want to do it. I want to do it.
Speaker 3: It's not a good thing. I get in trouble.
Speaker 1: No, Cody, I don't want you to talk negatively about Swift. I really like her.
Speaker 3: Okay, and Donald, I'm so happy that she brings you joy. I'm so happy, dying to talk shit. No, see this show, and I am just I can't wait for you to feel the joy that you want to feel.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you such got it. Donald, you are my dates, so you better be open to receiving.
Speaker 3: It's just you two.
Speaker 2: Yeah gay, Yeah, it's a little gay, maybe a little gay.
Speaker 6: But Disneyland where they're like holding hands and skipping through Disneyland, that's.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: We must I must give a shout out. We got and we could not get tickets, and we have a friend at who invited us to the cost Egos box. That's how we managed to get in because we couldn't get tickets, like everybody can't get tickets.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I mean even for the second show. I don't even want to tell you how much I paid for the Beyonce tickets and the second show I paid I paid. I paid stub Hub money for floor.
Speaker 1: Seats, and that's like, you know, what did you pay?
Speaker 3: I stand by this statement. I still didn't even pay enough. I still didn't pay enough.
Speaker 2: You know, essent, we like this when we were kids. I saw Michael Jackson when I was a kid, I saw new Addition Bell, Bib Devaux, I saw all of these freaking I went to a lot of big concerts when I was a kid, and I sat really close in these stadiums and was able to see everything. I was never on the floor. But you know, I can't imagine spending ten grand, fifteen grand on tickets. Okay, thank god? All right? Cool.
Speaker 1: Oh when you said floor seed stub Hub money, I thought you were talking about ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, they were they were floor seats. They weren't the closest floor seats. I was probably at at my closest proximity to Beyonce, maybe twenty feet. So that's good, that's amazing twenty feet. But yeah, I'm not spending There's no there's there's there's there is a limit there's a limit. And that's actually in all honestly why I went in Europe for the first time because the seats in Paris were like a few hundred bucks and they were on the floor at General Like by the time you pay for the flight and the ticket, you could get that in the US. So you get a trip to Paris and a Beyonce concert.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after these fine words. Listen, before we wrap up, I wanted to ask, we want to promote your book, by the way, let's give a shout out.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's plug.
Speaker 1: Your book is XO XO Cody, An opinionated homosexuals Guide to self, love, relationships, and tactful pettiness.
Speaker 3: Oh thank god, you got it right. I know you're but fans, no, I remember it. I'm actually I'm always like nervous when I'm gonna that's a long ass that I don't fuck up the title. I'm just like, don't FuG it up, don't FuG it out.
Speaker 1: Tell us a little bit about it. Shamelessly plug yourself, but tell us a little bit about what the gist of the vibe is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, well, I'm excited that it comes out comes out September twelfth, so pre order if you can. It is a memoir slash kind of like life and dating advice. If you are familiar with my class at Pelton, we do x X Cody, which is like a fun class where writers send in questions to me about self love, relationships and we talk about pop culture and that. So I kind of took that idea from the ride and made it into a book. And it's like mostly just about like, you know, self love, even in the in the realm of dating, like loving yourself before you put yourself out there, you know, like asking for more money, loving yourself, dating yourself. You know, just like what it means to just really like take all the things that I've learned in life and apply it to being the best version of yourself.
Speaker 1: And you really did You've come such a long way. I mean, you did work at McDonald's, didn't you not?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and that's that's part of the storytelling there is like I feel like I've told these like really condensed versions of some of the really impactful things in my life. So it's been a privilege to kind of like give it in more detail. Yeah, it's it's crazy like I grew up. Listen, I grew up single parent, only child, broke as fuck in in North Carolina, like food stamp poor, getting evicted, poor, like all this sort of stuff. So I sometimes look back in my life and I'm just like, how how the fuck did I? How did I get here? How did I get here? In front of the Gucci.
Speaker 1: Wallpaper, the book title could have been from McDonald's to Gucci Wallpaper, no doubt, we go, Why is the shake machine always broken?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Let's get to the real honesty. I think it's because, you know, if you're a McDonald's employee and it's the end of the night, like I'm trying to clean that fucking machine before I get off my ship, and if I'm trying to get out early, you know, if broken's it at ten and we don't shut down the ice cream machine until nine forty five, I'm not trying to stick around from fifteen to twenty extra minutes because this bitch wants an oreo mcflir say that the fucking machine is broken, and guess what, I'm good, I'm gonna pull up to the drive through them, say one Orio mcflurry and the person that went knows to be like, I'm sorry, sir, the machine is broken, and I'm gonna get pissed off and I'm gonna drive off. I'm good. So the employee is winning, you know, right right?
Speaker 2: I heard that there's quite a few McDonald's workers right now that are like, thank you, Cody.
Speaker 1: So what Cody's just told us everyone is that the machine is never actually broken.
Speaker 2: It's just that.
Speaker 1: Look, they don't want to deal with that shit.
Speaker 2: Motherfucker's got lives, yo.
Speaker 1: They want to get home.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've ever worked a shift job such as McDonald's. You want to get out as soon as you fucking can. You want to cuck out.
Speaker 1: You don't want your you.
Speaker 3: Don't want your manager asking, hey, you know Tom's a little bit late, can you stay thirty bits? No, bitch, that's not my problem, that's not my probe. You're you're paying me eight fifty an hour. I don't care about Tom. I want to go home and play Xbox. Okay, thank you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: What that knows?
Speaker 1: Well, you're very very funny man, and we're very last thing I want to ask you for our audience. So many of our audience don't have a Peloton, Can you just maybe give some a little bit of wisdom as to motivating yourself to to actually exercise. Exercise for me has been life changing for more than even more my physical health and for my mental health. It really has become a part of keeping myself feeling better about myself. And I wondered if, as a as a famous trainer, if you have any words of wisdom for motivating people to take action and do a little something.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that's well. First of all, I'm going to debunk that the Peloton app is free for like the first month, and there's a free version of the app, so you can jump into that. That being said, as far as motivation, and yeah, I think that a relationship with your body and movement is really good for your overall being, not just looking a certain way, but like your mental health and believing that you can do hard things. I know it sounds really silly, but when you like conquer a twenty minute bike ride and you're like, Wow, I didn't want to do that, but I did it and I feel great, it is a reminder that, like when you get set a challenge at work or or pushback in life that you're like, Hey, I things might be scary or they might be hard, but if I put my mind to it, I absolutely can accomplish it. And I think it's a constant reminder of that. And also I think being uncomfortable and being put in uncomfortable situations is good for us, you know, I think when we run away from feeling. I think when we feel uncomfortable, or we feel sad, or we feel angry, or we feel you know, unmotivated, we can really sit in that. We can either sit in that and figure it out, or we can go distract ourselves and get away from it quickly. And I think sitting in those uncomfortable situations is really good for us physically, mentally, emotionally, and moving our bodies and working out is a practice of that in itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel that. Man. Sometimes I'm just down, I'm not in a good headspace, and I spend for thirty minutes and I get off the bike and I feel great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you like and then you're like, you've been motivated to do other shit that you didn't want to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, Well, thank you so much for your time, dude. We really are big fans of yours and you make us laugh and keep doing what you do because you're making a big difference in a lot of people's lives.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I appreciate it. And thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: Thank you for being on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was so awesome.
Speaker 2: Wait can we just before we wrap up? Do one of my fucking heroes passed away? And I just wanted to give a shout out to like, yo man and I and and and it's gonna make and I don't want to get emotional about it, and because that's the last thing I want to do in front of you guys, but if you could just I mean, I just remember junior high school, my buddy Adam Smart, shout out Adam Smart and uh Libra whose dad was on Pee Wee's playhouse, telling me, Yo, you gotta watch this guy and me being like yeah, whatever, and Adam Smart for for one of the talent shows him and this guy did the entire scene of Pee Wee coming out of his house with the bike and the guy wanting to ride on the bike and him saying him saying uh no, and then I know you are but what am I? And everything from Big Adventure from Pee Wee's Big Adventure, and I you know, that stuck with me and my freshman year in high school, I finally watched the movie and I couldn't believe it took me so long to find this guy because it was me in a lot of ways. It was like this guy who was just a little bit immature but was witty and smart, had and had a great sense of humor. And you know when they say be careful when you meet your idols, when I met him, he was. He was very mean to me, and he went out of his way the next time I met him and every time after to apologize and tell me that he was in a He was a he was in a bad space that day. And I got to work with him like two or three times after that. Just meeting him and that we met you were with me. It was me you and Sarah and I think we were on our way to New York.
Speaker 1: And emotional, man.
Speaker 2: Was Paul Rubers. Man, you made a really big impact on my life.
Speaker 1: You really getting emotional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you are a legend and you will be missed.
Speaker 1: Oh Donald, that's very sweet. I loved him too.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I grew up watching Pee Wee's Playhouse, and then when I saw the movie, I just thought he was so uniquely funny and original and there was nobody like him, like nobody was doing what he was doing. And then that combined with Tim Burton's direction, you know, pee Wee's Big Adventure was just like we had never seen anything like it. It was just so different. It was so different, the combo of Tim Burton's style with pee Wee's humor. And Paul was a wonderful person by the way. I met him a few times, like Donald, and every day on my birthday he would send me like funny gifts, birthday gifts, little memes and stuff, and they were all just sweet sort of they weren't. They were just like sweet little birthday messages. And that's the kind of he was. He was. Everybody loved him. Everybody in town that knew him loved him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I just couldn't put You know, usually when somebody, when somebody brushes you off, that's usually it and you never really hear from them, you never really hear. But he went, I mean just to I don't know, man, Like he remembered me, he remembered where we were when it happened. He remembered what he was going through and he apologized. It just made me feel so good, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I remember saving up for cherry. Remember they I had a peep First of all, I had the pewee doll that you pulled the string and it would says yeah. And then after a while I used it someone the soundbox broke so it would be really sped up and you couldn't understand shit. But then I had the cherry for those you know the show was his talking green chair, and I remember saving up as a kid to go to the Livingstone Mall to buy cherry so I could put my peewee doll in the cherry chair. Anyway, So rest in peace to Paul who who was a wonderful performer and a very nice person. And thank you to Cody for providing lots of laughter. And that's it. This segment on Fake Doctor's Real Friends is brought to you by T Mobile. If you need great coverage, especially when enjoying your favorite podcast, check out T Mobile. Okay, and now we Joelle has a pitch from one of our listeners for a film that we should make. Okay, let's go Joel.
Speaker 7: Hello, Donald and Zach, Joel and Danel.
Speaker 3: My name is Will.
Speaker 7: I live in London in the UK, though I'm originally from Edinburgh in Scotland, and today I am pitching a comedy series with you, Donald and Zack playing fictionalized versions of yourselves as you finally take fake doctors, real friends on the road and tour the podcast series around Europe. It would be totally similar to Curby Your Enthusiasm or The Trip if you're familiar with that British comedy starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. Of course, you find success with the podcast tour. It's everything you guys dreamed it would be, but touring and selling out spectacular venues such as the O two Arena in London, the Coliseum in Rome and a Wee Boffy in the Highlands. Well, it takes its toll on your multi layered, loving, sometimes flowed relationship in the series and of your bromance Never Questioned develops as well as during the podcast. You both have your own side hustles going on. Donald played by Donald Faison, is desperate to get onto one of the Star Wars or Marvel series that's filmed here in the UK. In one scene, Donald literally begs on his knees for a role outside the gates of Pinewood Studios, while Zach, played by Zach Brath, lands himself his dream role and does a one of performance playing Jean Valjean in the West End production of Lay Miss.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'd get it.
Speaker 7: However, on the night, Zach gets so excited and he's so overcome with emotion that he starts singing everyone else's parts over them. So as the tour comes to an end, our heroes ask themselves whether it was really at success. They both lost out on their dream roles and more importantly, their most valued relationship with each other along the way to be continued. I actually sent this pitch to you guys way back in summer twenty twenty when I first emailed over some questions, so it's been flowing around my head for a few years now. I just want to add that I work as a script editor in TV drama Developments, So if you want, I could come on board to storyboard and script episodes for free. I might be available.
Speaker 1: Let's slow down.
Speaker 7: I hope you enjoy the pitch. Lastly, I just want to add that I love this podcast. And I love getting to hang out with the four of you every week. Take care and speak saying Wye.
Speaker 2: First of all, that would never happen, William our bond is too tight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cody thought we were gay.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna happen, William.
Speaker 1: Well, I believe that Donald would be on his knees outside Pinewood Studient begging to get in.
Speaker 2: I've worked at Pinewood Studios. I would not be on my knees outside of Pinewood Studio.
Speaker 1: What if George Lucas, much like the Emperor, was like, get on your knees, Donald, face on, that was Vader.
Speaker 3: Sorry, definitely get on your.
Speaker 2: Knees, Donald, that's definitely Vader, and show.
Speaker 1: Me that you're worthy of a part in my creation.
Speaker 2: Are you saying I have to perform for Latio George Lucas to get into Star Wars.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean that you made that ship up. I just meant he was making it on your knees to be like to bow down.
Speaker 2: To him, bow down to George. I have no problem bowing down to George Lucas.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if George was like, you can have a pastry, you can be one of Lando's friends in the new series.
Speaker 2: Then we'd have to contact Donald Glover and I'd have to convince Donald Glover that too.
Speaker 1: So I heard they're making that and that they just they fired the writer or something, and their there that he and his brother are writing the new Lando series.
Speaker 2: All I know is I didn't get a telephone call, so yes, yes, yet And everybody knows who my favorite star wars.
Speaker 1: Camp But you could be Lando's older brother, bando.
Speaker 3: What do you play Lando's dad?
Speaker 1: WHOA, he's not older than He's not Donald Glover's dad.
Speaker 3: Prosthetics instead old man.
Speaker 2: I'm still holding out for Ahska. How about that?
Speaker 3: Bro? I can't even talk about it.
Speaker 1: Stuff about that? Thanks? T Mobile? Did you know that at T Mobile new and existing customers always get the same great device deals with go five G plus plans. It's true? So why wait? Check out t mobile dot com slash go see why. Now back to the show. Now listen, Thank you for your pitch, William, very clever. You know, Donald and I are talking about maybe documenting our tour as some sort of docuseries perhaps, but I don't think that we'll go the full curb your enthusiasm fake version of our of our real lives. I don't think that's our our style.
Speaker 2: I love the fact that we're selling out like the Colosseum.
Speaker 1: And yeah, imagine that we sell out the Colosseum. That'd be an O two arena.
Speaker 2: I mean, we sell the Colosseum, We're like legendary. That's straight up. I mean, we might as well call ourselves gladiators.
Speaker 1: I didn't like when Cody was I didn't like when Cody was being about to be negative about our date for Thursday night.
Speaker 2: Listen, Bud.
Speaker 1: He doesn't understand that. He doesn't understand our love of Tea Swift.
Speaker 2: He doesn't know the love that we have for Tea Swift because it's a hard thing to understand, you know what I mean, it's hard to understand.
Speaker 1: Do you think we're going to be the only straight men there that came.
Speaker 2: I think we're going to be the only men over twenty five at this concert.
Speaker 1: To be that's not true. My question is this, Are we going to be the only men who are straight who came together alone?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Probably, Well your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Definitely, I'm having the right picture.
Speaker 6: Who up to the other street guy friends were like, fuck yeah Teeth Swift, But that's what makes you guys special, what makes a special.
Speaker 2: Though, we're running into this motherfucker leg so it's gonna be forever.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna cry, just I's gonna.
Speaker 2: Go down in face. You can tell me when it's over. I'm gonna look at you and we're gonna smile at this part. Got along with Stuve ex lovers. We're gonna smile. They'll tell you I'm insane.
Speaker 1: I might not. I won't like suddenly grab your hand, but if I do, just show it.
Speaker 2: Away and now write your name.
Speaker 1: All right, that's our show, Everyboddy, we love you. Count us out on.
Speaker 2: Top six seven.
Speaker 4: Eight stories about shore we made about a bunch of talks, and nurses.
Speaker 2: Said, he's a story natural should know.
Speaker 4: So gander around you here, our gander around you here, our scouts we watch your viz
Speaker 2: And and no mm hmmm