Speaker 1: Owning everybody.
Speaker 2: It's stee J M V Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: We got some special guests in the buildings, some legends, some icons.
Speaker 4: Of course, we got the Roots Black Thought and Quest Love Welcome.
Speaker 3: Everybody is black from the roots.
Speaker 1: They've been up here before.
Speaker 2: And we got another icon that's never been up here before, the legendary icon L L cool J Welcome Queen Tim his first time.
Speaker 1: First time LL stand for a living legend at this point, I appreciate that absolutely, absolutely. So let's first start with you know, why you guys are here together, because people are like, well, why is LL and the Roots together? So you guys are going on the road on the tour. Yeah, so how did this all come about?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 5: Who's whose version?
Speaker 3: Really? Who ensure?
Speaker 6: You know, the planet Center stars sort of aligned themselves and and you made it possible for us to work together on this huge segment that we did for the Grammys this year. And I think you know, from that the idea of us always having wanted to, you know, work together in some way, just you know, it opened the collaborative path and it was like, Yo, why don't we try to.
Speaker 3: Take this show on the road.
Speaker 5: It was huge.
Speaker 6: What we did just in that one fifteen minute segment was so huge for the culture. And you know, this being hip hop's fiftieth anniversary, and you know that that whole deal, it made sense to try and you know, do something celebratory in that way.
Speaker 3: You know, from region to region. You know.
Speaker 2: The great thing about hip hop fifty is a lot of these stories that we haven't heard or that we've heard whispers are coming to light like and you're starting to see more and more and more and more videos. I was online yesterday and it was just random because I DJ for Havoc the other night in Queen's Bridge, and it was one of the most amazing things for me because it's Queen's Bridge and it's Havoc right when he did shook Ones. I just seen the original and I'm just googling, and then I see a video of quest Love looking at Jazzy Jeff play the original right and go through the samples. And then I was looking at another video the other day and it was talking about LL talking about Biggie and he was in the studio when he wrote.
Speaker 3: Who shot you?
Speaker 7: I shot you?
Speaker 3: I shot shot you? Who shot you?
Speaker 2: And then I was talking about another another video I seen, and somebody was saying.
Speaker 1: That Biggie had beef with the Roots back then. So because people can't hear, these stories are amazing, can we put that one to rescue ones in ball the Biggie beef? People don't know, like the the Goots from different strip right, It's just you know, you could tell it was like born before seventy eight and after seventy eight, like it's that generation thing. Anyone after seventy eight is like, oh the Roots.
Speaker 5: No, it was never And even when.
Speaker 8: Y'all did the video for what they do, I think people don't realize all of hip hop, well not all of hip hop, but a large portion of hip hop was that player lifestyles.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, And folks didn't like that at the time.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. I mean you know it was a choice. You know some people did, did y'all?
Speaker 5: That's not good, y'all, y'all are to.
Speaker 6: Did we catch any flax from there? I mean, you know, Big was so chill man.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. Big was a huge Roots fan and he always made that known.
Speaker 6: Anybody that I ever met from Junior Mafia, Little SE's, Little Kim anybody remotely related to Big, they would always lead with Big as a huge roots fan. When I met Big, uh, he came out and sank silent treatment to us, like that was his intro to the roots. So he definitely he did feel a way. But I mean, he wasn't gonna be like, yo, like why'd you play me? Because he didn't feel enough of a way to feel played. But what he did was he did an interview. I can't remember what publication it was, but he did. He did an interview one interview where he may mention of it, and what he said was he said, look, it's not like I'm going to, you know, go after the roots like the roots.
Speaker 3: He like, I'm a huge roots fan. I'm not going to you know, do x Y and Z.
Speaker 6: But then he said that, but I can't speak for Brooklyn, you know, but yeah, you know, you know, definitely Big Rest and power Man and uh that that was definitely resolved.
Speaker 3: We had a chance might have a different opinion, right, right, We.
Speaker 6: Had a chance to you know, to resolve it, you know, because it was it was stupid, you.
Speaker 7: Know what I mean, you never regret doing that video.
Speaker 3: I didn't regret doing a video I just you know, I just wish I had been more informed, you know, and forward. It was. It was definitely a teachable moment, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: At the time, like I will say, like I was really neglectful about like our martwork or videos of those things. It was more like, all right, where do we stand? Or this is what we do? And it didn't even really occur to us like we might be ruffling feathers or you know, of that level.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I mean, you see the look at the video, and I understand why they would.
Speaker 6: It looks that way you could say you had to know, but not like we. We didn't we literally, you know what I'm saying. I was, I'll be focused on my own ship. So I'm not I'm not about I'm not the I'm not always abreast with you know what I mean, Like the I mean for for you know, just kind of petition's sake, and you know, just to stay up on what's going on with you. I don't be I don't know your video set being you know what I'm saying, respectfully, you know what I'm saying, I don't you know, I'm I was on my own ship. So it was very much. Where do I stand? And you know what I mean, we were it was it was business and it was just transaction on that way. And then and then in that in that video, everything was nonspecific except.
Speaker 3: For just this one scene. And you know, I had no idea.
Speaker 6: I was like, why would I try to single out you know what I'm saying like one of my peers to to you know, I mean no knowing me over the past thirty forty years that we've been doing what we do.
Speaker 3: That that that just doesn't speak to my character.
Speaker 4: Now, lady ladies, love cool James.
Speaker 2: Now, what what got you into We're gonna start you from the beginning because it's your first time here. What got you into hip hop? And said you know what I want to be MC? Where where did the love come from? As a kid from Queens and say this is what I want to do?
Speaker 3: You know into the mic? Can you can you hear me?
Speaker 5: Yep? So you know when those first wave of tapes came around, like you know, Cold Crush Brother and Fantastic Romantic five and Foursome Seas and then you know Treacherous Three, you know, Grand Master, Furious five and all of those groups when they were just tapes run around, you know, Harlem World tapes, and then the songs came later. That was the first time that I heard, you know, young black kids sounding powered. It was the first time that I heard, you know, or could envision us doing something great, because before that, all the images I had seen were us like handcuffed, being put in a police car or some sort of charge or you know. So that empowering feeling, you know, the braggadocio thing that you know that we really focused on came not from a place of looking down on high on people, but more about I could be somebody, you know what I'm saying. The world looks at me and like I'm invisible. My friends up the block get killed, and nobody says anything. So when I'm bragging and I'm boasting, what I'm really doing is saying, hey, look at me, I exist, you know what I'm saying. So for me, that was, you know, a real special thing and a spectacular thing. I mean, I'm eight, I'm nine years old. I'm ten years old, and I'm being introduced to this thing and I just completely fell in love with it. And then you know, you know, eight nine, I'm a fan of the wrap. My grandfather broughts me some equipment at eleven. I'm DJing, I'm messing around with that, but I'm still rhyming, and I'm going back and forth, and then you know, eventually one thing led to another and you know, here we are, def jam and the whole whole nine.
Speaker 8: Do you consider yourself a founding father of hip hop? Because you know, people always gonna say, you know, cool her, you know, Grandma's to Flash, people like that, But as far as hip hop as we know now, I would say, you and run DMC.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So so I'm you know, I'm definitely generation one point five. You know what I'm saying. You got to give Flash and HERK and Force and all. The grant was the Theodore They're due. The thing that myself from run DMC did, what we did is we took it to the world. We took it global, you know what I'm saying. We took it from the city and took it around the world, you know what I'm say saying. And that was the difference. So they they brought it. They took it from from the Bronx and Harlem, you know, out to the Five Boroughs and you know, around the world somewhat on a slow on a on a you know, not quite as they didn't penetrate the market quite as deeply. Then we took it and made it global.
Speaker 6: And I think I think from from a Philadelphia standpoint too, you know, just from the outside looking then with that that one point five generation with with you and and alltist like running du that was our first time sort of.
Speaker 3: Seeing our own reflection exact stage.
Speaker 6: It was like, you know, like again, I was a huge fan of all the other founding fathers, but they didn't look like people from around my way, you know what I'm saying. And when I saw a run jam Master j L, they looked like the corner boys. Like that was outside and I saw myself in that. So you know that that's where a lot of the inspiration for me to do what I what I do came from.
Speaker 3: Not to mention you know, ella.
Speaker 1: You know, L is very modest, but L literally invented what I call postmodern hip hop, like the three minute rap song sixteen bar like before LL even Run DMC's first album, Like it's like that's like eight minutes, like seven verses, you know what I mean. Like LL literally invented the sixteen you know, maybe the twenty fourth the course, you know what I mean, Like, oh, the song has courses on it.
Speaker 3: So I love rap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like literally emotions on rep Like he's he's pioneered for like so so many things that he never gets credit for, and I think, like he's so good at it, you know, like you roll your eyes when like Steph Curry just like any shot goes in with Steph Curry and it's sort of like you're like, Okay, yeah, yeah, you're good.
Speaker 3: It's like it well black thought, killsh it again on another joint.
Speaker 5: No, but it's lots of given.
Speaker 1: But what you're saying, it's like that, and oftentimes think amazing shit, look at listen, right, And oftentimes the thing, especially now that I'm in more of the business of rear view mirrors, like looking at his history and like I'm also on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame committee, like the people that nominate the people that get in, and you know, even in trying to get him nominated, I was like, yo, like we're really like penalizing people for being too good, like too effortless, Like he's he was like the first teen idol, the first, Like there's so many first with him that you just you take it for granted.
Speaker 8: So you think because people are prison of the moment, like you know, it seems like that whole era, especially that started in the eighties, don't necessarily get the credit issue.
Speaker 1: It's not and people just don't look at it as art.
Speaker 5: And that's the thing, like we have to.
Speaker 1: Now, that's the one lesson I learned, especially like in when we were organizing the Grammy thing. You know, you're using words like your legacy, your history or whatever. And you know, I understand sometimes with artists, like there's a bunch of eye rolling and I don't care about this like that sort of thing because for a lot of us like this just this is survival and you know, but what it really is is it's art and it's our lives.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: I think what we need to do, especially as whatever stages. I don't want to say elder statesman because hip hop soil ages, but.
Speaker 7: Oh geez, yeah, I take it off.
Speaker 3: I take other statesmen.
Speaker 1: So that said, it's like we need to collectively like really start looking at this like art high art, you know what I mean, And especially now where we're all just dying by the thousands, you know, like we can't take it for granted. So like he's in fine form, like in fighting shape.
Speaker 5: And you know, I.
Speaker 4: Was gonna ask when when you you talked about deaf Jam. So let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: When they when they came to you with a contract to sign, do you remember what's your first contract like and how much they gave you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I mean talk about that for you know, you know, you got to remember that. So, so deaf Cham was a production company. There was no label. Okay, It's Yours by Tila Rock was on Party Times street Wise label. It was deaf Cham Productions, which was Rick was the producer along with Jazzy J. And it was so it was it was more than a contract. They were actually forming a label. Rick was having a problem, you know him, and he was having problems getting his money from the other label he was dealing with.
Speaker 7: So they wanted to start this new thing.
Speaker 5: So you know that first contract, you know, at the time, you know, I had we split the publishing.
Speaker 7: They gave me like fifty thousand.
Speaker 5: But but before that, actually, my first single I ever made, I didn't have a contract when I made I Need a Beat, which was the very first song I ever made. I had no contract. It was just like, yo, let's just get it and we'll figure it out.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you gotta be willing to crawl over the barb wire fence with no shirt on, you know what I'm saying, to get what you want.
Speaker 7: So I did that and then, you know, with no shirt on.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. By the end of the story, I have one hundred lls. I'm number six already.
Speaker 7: That was what it was. And you know it wasn't Listen, man.
Speaker 3: How old were you at this point?
Speaker 5: Sixteen? I was sixteen when I mean yeah, when we started death Jairing, I was sixteen. So my first song, you know, when I may rock the bells or sixteen seventeen. You know, why do people see so much about why people seem way more mature back because I was like kind of like in that that Kobe kind of you know, straight out of pros, trade out of high school into the pros as opposed to like kid rappers, like you do have kid rappers who are fifteen sixteen and their kid rappers.
Speaker 7: I wasn't that I was ready for the big leagues.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Because you were out in the streets, you were out around the local drug dealers.
Speaker 4: You've seen what was going on.
Speaker 3: Well, that's queen was ed.
Speaker 5: Was a bunch of hosts and put that out.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 7: Now you know what it was is that all of my I was listening to my heroes.
Speaker 5: I was listening to the dudes that was really spitting and it was going hard and there was no holding back. And you don't get that. You don't get the right.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: One thing about the inner city that's funny is like once you walk out on the block, you really don't get an opportunity to be a little kid.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, Like, you know, we're gonna treat you, sir where you get. You got. You had that one dude to treat you like a little kid. Everybody else is like and what So when I stepped on the court, you know what I'm saying, When I stepped in the ring of hip hop, it was just yo, this is what it is, you know. So I just went for it, man, and I love it so much. I signed a ten album deal. What yeah, and it was it was I remember going home saying to my mother, MA, guess what, and they're gonna make let me make ten hours. And I blew through them ten albums like nothing. And see, see the thing when you do it for love, the rest of everything else happens. Remember when you see people in the in the in the locker room after the NBA Championship and they got the cigars in the champagne, that's because they loved the game all day life and they really worked hard and they really had fun. The contracts in the champagne and the cigars come later. So all of the things that all of the accolades that people see me with, that's because I love it so much. I didn't get into this to get paid, even and I did get paid. Did you ever feel like you should have had like equity and depth Jam? I did have equity in Death Jam. I did have equity and Death Jam. I just sold it a little early. But I definitely had ownership in Death Jam, ownership in Foobu. You know, I have ownership in NCIS Los Angeles, ownership and lip Sync.
Speaker 7: Battle I have.
Speaker 5: You know, I own my catalog, you know, like so the things that I do, you know, I did well, but I didn't do it for the money.
Speaker 2: And where did you get the business mind from? Was it was it your mom's? Was it you know, an uncle?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Where did you get that? Because I don't think a lot of people were thinking ownership back then. They were just thinking I need to blow.
Speaker 5: Up, you know what? You know what I've learned man? You know, like, and people may have heard me say this before. You know, if a homeless man tell you not to do push ups in traffic, you should listen because you might get ran over. A lot of times people are like, yo, yo. A lot of people are like, yo, you homeless?
Speaker 3: What do you know? All right?
Speaker 5: Brown today in the news. So it's like, so so the business thing I learned from people before me and after me, I hear, oh oh, you know you just stay cheerious and then you ask questions and then being blessed by the grace of God to be so successful for so long that I got a lot of bites at the apples, so at the apples, So any mistakes that I may have made got a chance to be corrected because I just, you know, because of the amount of time that I'm able to be successful.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying, because you got to remember, you know.
Speaker 5: I've been professional since eighty four, professional now in terms of as in pop. It was, you know, way back before that, and I was already ready. See think about it, you know, because you gotta get ready. So it's just a matter of just being curious. You know, reading is my hobby, you know what I'm saying. That's always been my favorite thing to do.
Speaker 1: That was the Monica Ladies Love cool j Right. Did you always feel like these dudes gonna think I'm sweet? So I'm gonna I have to have these these rhyms in the corner just in case.
Speaker 5: The Ladies Love cool Ja thing was just wish for thinking. You know, I'm fifteen on one girls, I'm Ladies love cool Jack. It was. It wasn't really that ended up not being true. It didn't have to be that like people took that a little. It just kind of worked out. Let ill cool Jack. I hope lady, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: But you never rebelled against the sex symbol image. I saw no like.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, I made I need love because I like girls. I made like rock the bells because I like to do the hard ship. You know, I don't I don't have I don't understand really, you know, like for like me growing up, I like girls, right, so I don't understand like what we're really talking about when you think about it, like what are we talking about? Like if we're in the car, Like we're not going to talk about no girls, we're not doing that. You're not with that, y'all don't want to go to that state?
Speaker 3: What should we do?
Speaker 5: Should we play corners in the car like the whole time, whole ride, like how you know, how we move? So that's why I never had a problem with that, and I, you know, and then leading that.
Speaker 7: It's all love, you know, I don't have no.
Speaker 1: I think it's important though, because it's like what what that what those songs really represent is like vulnerability, which you aren't allowed to do that in the hood because you'll be seen as weak or an easy target. But I guarantee you anyone.
Speaker 5: You know, you know what question honestly, let me tell you something. What the you know the dudes that that feel like they'll be perceived as weak or target with that kind of when they're dealing in that area, they all weak, like they are weak, bro, Like, Like, let me tell you something that like that shit, you know, doing putting I.
Speaker 3: Need love out of me.
Speaker 5: Doing love songs is the equivalent of me walking into projects with a neck full of jury. Yeah, it's the same thing, because you know, you open and you know it's what it is. You know what I'm saying. So there is no nervous noodle like with that. Like it ain't even about that. Like I don't even think that way, because my thing is, here's here's the strength isn't doing what you want to do artistically.
Speaker 1: That's where the strength is. I do what I want to do artistically.
Speaker 5: I don't do what they say I should do because then I'm not being me.
Speaker 1: I'm fronting. I'm being somebody else. Right, So I don't even think like that. That's why I.
Speaker 5: Could be in a picture smiling. Don't make me feel weak, you know, go do a TV.
Speaker 3: Show, cessiment street. I've done it too right.
Speaker 5: We can do all that right.
Speaker 7: We could do these things right because you don't limit yourself.
Speaker 5: See I think that you know, and I just say, just a lot of young men in general, never limit.
Speaker 7: Yourself to to to the to.
Speaker 5: The what others, the perception of what other people think you should be, right, don't limit yourself to that be yourself, right?
Speaker 2: Does that have a body with both of y'all that you know, yell are so legendary and hip hop, but people might not look at you as a rapper. They might just look at you as an actor, or people might not look at y'all as the roots as in a group, but just the guys we're banned for to night with people the younger generation especially, No, I.
Speaker 6: Think I think there's value in that we've been able to reinvent ourselves in a way that you know, like our brand has had, you know, different iterations, different complete just lie. So the fact that yeah, we've been on you know TV every day for the past fifteen years, it's a whole demo. They only know us from that, so that leaves a whole new space for them to explore when they discover our body of work.
Speaker 3: And then there's people who've been die hard fans.
Speaker 6: Of you know, l L and the Roots forever, who you know, may have lost track of our musical contributions along the way. So I just appreciate the chance to sort of keep reintroducing myself. Me and Elle was just talking about how you know, you just pop out every now and then as an artist to shut shit down with those little, you know, not not so general reminders.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. And you're good, and that's sort of how we navigate the space.
Speaker 5: And you know, the way I look at it is it's just an opportunity, you know what I'm saying. It's a beautiful opportunity to put you up on something new. And if you don't know, to come find out, come to the show. You know what I'm saying. That's why we're on tour. You can come see some music. It's multi generational, you know, just like the festival, multi generational. So come out to the tour, come to the Force tour, see what we're doing. You know what I'm saying, Get put onto something new.
Speaker 7: That simple. You know what I'm saying. If you don't know, come find out.
Speaker 8: And I think, you know, as media personalities, I feel like we got to do a better job of preserving those legacies. Yeah, you know, because there's been times I've I've critiqued LL's like a freestyle.
Speaker 4: You might have did he want to box out of you? He did?
Speaker 8: But you know what I'm saying, But what I realized in that is, people would hear that and not realize that LLLL got a whole catalog, Like there's no way you can ever say ll cool J is whack. He's one of the coin the term goat. Of course he's an icon, he's one of the greatest of all time. But sometimes the younger generation don't know that. If they hear us critiquing something.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what, shaw I put it to you like this, And I will say, I'm not even tripping off of that, because the reality is, you know, every now and then, you're gonna miss a dunk, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: So you know, if I miss a dunk, it'll be a highlight. But I got some good.
Speaker 5: Ones, you know, so so maybe I'm and if you step into the ring right, and I'm talking about like in music or art or anything, right, like if you're gonna win championships, you know, great box, you're gonna get punched in the face. So you're gonna miss some it is what I'm saying. So you know, the critique ain't necessarily wrong. It's all right for you to you know, say what you feel. You know what I'm saying. It's a matter of you know, my job is just to give people consistent Like this new album I did that that that Q Tip executive produced. I look forward to introducing that to the world and looking at that hearing your you know, your critique and your your you know, your opinions of.
Speaker 7: It, like this is the thing we got to do. Like, my my goal is this.
Speaker 5: I just want to show people that you can have a career that last decades and decades and decades at the highest level.
Speaker 7: I want to show people what's possible.
Speaker 5: You know, in hip hop, we haven't had somebody who started from the beginning and went to another level you know this many years later. So this is a very unique thing that we're dealing with. So it's new to all of us. You never dealt We never dealt with a LLL cool JA. You have the roots band and like these like this is a whole num the level.
Speaker 8: Now, that's why I think you, I actually think you're above critique. I'm not even I think we're one of those people that you can't critique.
Speaker 7: J has done it, He's home already.
Speaker 5: I think I think everybody can be critique. You know what I'm saying. I think that I'm not immune to critique. I will say this though, you know, I put a lot of work in and I got a lot of I got you know, a lot of hardware, and you know, you know, but Wikipedia is pretty long, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So it's like you got rhymes at the hood that beautiful, which this told.
Speaker 7: Me happening without the writer strike in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, definitely it was.
Speaker 1: I mean we planned it sort of around like our breaks that would have happened during the Foulon period, but have.
Speaker 5: One week okay, ok, yeah, because we both was working and and that was why it really made so much sense.
Speaker 7: You know, is it true that Jimmy Fallon is paying the staff out of pocket? Why, y'all stripe?
Speaker 3: Uh, that's a question.
Speaker 4: Let me check my check, Let me check my bank account right now.
Speaker 3: Now, I got like nineteen other jobs. It's not like money, you know, No, no one, no one.
Speaker 5: Is getting paid. Uh. After that, that's kind of a myth.
Speaker 8: And this may be a stupid question, But what changed your life more Hollywood or hip hop? We know hip hop changed your life and it probably would be no Hollywood without it, But what has elevated your lives more?
Speaker 1: I will say For me personally, hip hop has definitely changed my life. Like I grew up in the house with three thousand records that I didn't like in the beginning, and then suddenly I'm starting to listen to hip hop, like, wait, this is what dad listens to, Like, let me see when my dad got over here and so, and that's what enabled me to sit here today. So it starts with really hip hop and our our shared love of it. You know, to me, that's hip hip hop is the answer.
Speaker 6: I don't know, yeah, yeah, for me, it's definitely a you know, the same I would say, I would say hip hop. I mean not only hip hop, but just the arts right has been my my my saving grace.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: I come from, you know, just a place and time where you know so much and so many were lost.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. Both my parents have murdered victims. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: My brother institutionalized, spent over thirty years in prison. So that that's that's where I come from. And that's not I'm not a you know that that I'm not unique in that. That's that's everybody on my block, you know. So, But I also come from a place where it's something in the water. And you know people who I've seen invest all their you know, effort and time and energy, you know to making it.
Speaker 3: You know, Beyond the Block has has done extremely well.
Speaker 6: I've seen you know, I've known Wallow you know what I'm saying in the Meeks and Kevin Harts and you know, and you know people who have gone on to Philadelphia greatness, you know Eve and Jill Scott, you know, like people when when they were still Olympic hopefuls.
Speaker 3: You know. So it's just dope. I mean, that's I get a different kind of.
Speaker 6: Reassurance and inspiration just coming from where I come from, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that really just you know, just lets me know that the sky is the limit.
Speaker 4: Did y'all ever get it to it?
Speaker 7: What about you? Hollywood?
Speaker 3: Hip hop?
Speaker 5: Oh man, hip hop? I mean hip hop changed my life and made it amazing. Way before I went to Hollywood, I was many albums and I was, you know what I.
Speaker 3: Mean, like him.
Speaker 6: Hip hop is something that has been this important to us since before it reached since before there was a you know, an intersection of hip hop in Hollywood. You know, hip hop. Hip hop is fifty this year. I'm fifty. You know what I'm saying. These brothers are my elders there little but you know, like me and hip hop were born.
Speaker 3: Right at the same time, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So I definitely have always felt like, you know, the culture is my contemporary.
Speaker 8: You know what I mean, you're founding father in that to hell, like as far as like hip hop artists who moved here, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Because you know, like even you know, like we did Crush Group in eighty five, you know what I'm saying, Like, you know, my first appearance you know, to the world, you know, was on a movie screen through hip hop.
Speaker 7: So I guess Hollywood has been there all along for me.
Speaker 5: Did Wildcatching eighty I've been like thirty forty movies, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But it's you know, listen, man, I love the culture, you know what I'm saying. And I do this because I love it. I could have took my ball and went home along time ago.
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask, was there any at any point of any of your lives did y'all lose love for hip hop?
Speaker 2: Maybe it was the sound change, maybe it was it wasn't received the right way, or maybe it was I'm getting money over here.
Speaker 4: Was there any time at that at all for me?
Speaker 5: No, because I'm getting money over here has nothing to do with loving hip hop.
Speaker 7: You know that it has nothing to do with that. You know, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't do I don't make rap music and do hip hop culture and rock the bells and all this to make money to survive.
Speaker 7: Rather, you know, I do it because I love it and I get.
Speaker 3: Paid doing it.
Speaker 1: But I would say, well, I will say that, you know, there's times if you're creative and your passion turns into your livelihood, that sometimes you might have to leave it for a second. I mean, there definitely been moments where, like you know, like he and I have put since ninety three, probably somewhere between one hundred and fifty to two hundred shows a year, you know what I mean, from ninety three up until like when we start fouing two thousand and nine, like our lives was on a tour bus, and you know, the grass is always green on the other side, and so during the tonight show allowed us especially to see what other magical powers we had, like I didn't know, like, oh, I could write books, and both of us are professors at NYU. You know, he wrote a play, I did a movie and all those other things. So a small team man, not more than spart just curious, like we're I think all of us are creatives. And that's that's the thing, Like we're creatives that are discovering that sometimes our talent is transferable to other mediums. In avenue like Tarik, you think of that hot ninety seven freestyle, he is a better chef. He's a better cook than that freestyle. That's how I'll put him against any three micheline star chef or black grandmother or whatever.
Speaker 3: About to have my now for real, Like he's the king? Is Gordon Ramsey? You wanted to smoke? Now?
Speaker 1: He is getting up before m Yes, you know I.
Speaker 6: Think I cad. I catered for the roost other night. Yeah, I brought a bunch of grubs to the up to rock the bell. So you I mean you're go ahingad and tell him what I brought?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yes, everything from crab legs to lobster to Colin Greens to like his cookie.
Speaker 5: But that's what I'm saying, Like his check all the box you left the Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love the Chillings on the grid.
Speaker 7: A moment in your careers where y'all questioning things though.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, yeah, definitely there have been many moments, uh, you know where I've questioned you know, myself and where we've questioned ourselves, you know, I mean as a collective, and you know, in those moments of pause, that's when you're able to answer the call and I think, you know, you just get those bursts of of clarity. And it's been a blessing that we've been able to reinvent ourselves, you know, because yeah, you know, I just like I was saying, I would be making music. I would be writing songs and you know, creating art, whether I was able to you know, support myself and my family off it or not. So it's it's a blessing, like you know, I mean, the plus is that I'm also able to make a career out of it, you know what I'm saying. But yeah, there's been times that I've questioned, you know, like what the next chapter would look like, or what the next you know, sort of act like act three of my career, you know, am I gonna be able to swing another you know, reinvention and yeah, you know it's you.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 6: It is those moments when you sort of listen to the universe and you go with your heart and and things become more clear.
Speaker 4: You know, I was gonna ask you what hip hip hop?
Speaker 7: Do you have a question? Things?
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, listen, man, There's always gonna be a time in life where you have doubts and you have concerns, and you have insecurities, and you feel like uncomfortable or discomfort about certain things. But like like Tarik said, you know, answering that call and following your intuition, following that that small voice inside of you and go for it. You know, you can't be fearful in life. You can't be scary and you the person that has to be able to you have to be able to trust the most is yourself. And you have to be able to trust yourself in moments when you are susceptible to fear and weakness, and you just have to find that strength and keep moving through.
Speaker 3: Like you got.
Speaker 7: What is the ll cool JA in security?
Speaker 5: Well, it would be like maybe, Okay, it's been a thousand years, should I make another album?
Speaker 4: Them?
Speaker 7: Do I make another album, should.
Speaker 3: I go on the road. You haven't done this, you haven't done that. You know.
Speaker 5: The other day, you know, Sway asked me to rhyme, like do you do you say the rhyme like their little things that you know what I'm saying, You know what I mean? You know, you know, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: Is it a dolphin?
Speaker 5: So so you know that's that's But you know, like I said, man like, when you want to do something, when you want to build something, you're gonna deal with that kind of stuff.
Speaker 7: You're gonna deal with them feelings.
Speaker 5: Like there's people listening to us right now who you know, are going through things and they're scared, they're on the edge. You gotta be able to push through that fear. You dig like, that's what it is, and that's a part of being great. You know, Greatness is not about comparing yourself to others greatness, other people's greatness. Greatness is about maximizing your personal potential. That's what makes you great. When you maximize your potential, you're great, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And as he said earlier, like you gotta stop like I just started, like the practice of not people pleasing and oftentimes we do things in the eyes of like man, what's that? And I going to say or I don't know, and the second that maybe it comes with being fifty, like start your I don't give a fuck face around that time we.
Speaker 5: Question so so you know, always people always ask me about that look. Always tell people I'm not a nice guy, I'm a good guy. It's a difference, you know what I'm saying. Like like if if a little old lady is walking down the street and some god grabs a pocketbook and you grab the guy and break his nose and break his arm, you're not a nice guy, but you're a good guy, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So there's a difference. So in life it's all right to say no, you know what I'm saying, I'm not in this to be nice. I mean it to be good, you know what I mean. And when you so that goes back to your people please that I'm agreeing with you, that people please, like you don't have to please people. What it is is you put your oxygen mask on first, then you helped the person next to you, right, So it's the appropriate selfishness, you know what I'm saying. When you've beaten people up you felt bad about it depends on who would be got you?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like, you know what I mean, beautiful, I'm saying you don't feel bad at all.
Speaker 1: You feel phenomenal because because you saved the old lady, right, you.
Speaker 5: Feel great like you But but that's not nice if.
Speaker 1: You beat Arlamagne, but you have felt good at that time time, Yeah, I'm sure I would have felt.
Speaker 3: Terrible, terrible.
Speaker 4: I gotta ask you.
Speaker 2: We got to discuss the lyrical sparring, right, so you have times had been challenged and you threw shots, whether it was more d back and day canna bus or people even say, oh, have you ever ran into the people that you've ever had into a lyrical sparring? And is it all jokes and fun now or is it still like standolphish?
Speaker 7: No, I ain't no standolfish man.
Speaker 3: That's a sport. I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't have no beef with none of the guys.
Speaker 1: Of course, not beef.
Speaker 3: But is it No? No, I don't.
Speaker 5: When I say beef, I'm not talking about like real street be problem. Like I'm just saying, like I don't you know, No, I don't have any tension, Okay, there's there's no I mean some dudes. Look, everybody is different, man, some people, you know, it really bothers.
Speaker 3: Them, like you know something.
Speaker 1: Like post Jack the Ripper, right or post how you like Me?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Like were you and mod ever in the room together at any of that those periods like I walked out on stage of this concert before like I'm crazy, Wait what there was.
Speaker 3: No there was no social media. Man, we see each other. We laugh.
Speaker 7: When you walked nothing.
Speaker 6: That's ridiculous kind of l kind of pioneered the move.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, but.
Speaker 4: Then with cannabis, you know what I mean, have y'all left, y'all spoken.
Speaker 3: Brought them out of Barclays when I perform, Remember that's right.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You know, I see you and I see see pictures.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, we got the you know we're doing we got things we're doing now together.
Speaker 7: You know what about you and what was what was you in Hohode? I never understood that one either. That felt like just ego.
Speaker 5: I really, I honestly couldn't tell you, bro, I have no idea. All I know is it's all love. You know what I'm saying, Like you know, it's we Gucci, like for real, like you know, you know, listen, man.
Speaker 8: Does a conversation make things straight or just over time and just you realize it wasn't really about nothing.
Speaker 1: They said you at the time that you didn't like him as president or death ya, and that's where they say it came from.
Speaker 7: Dude.
Speaker 5: Next question.
Speaker 7: Is a question y, y'all in the old street stuff and the stuff.
Speaker 5: Like yeah, next question, I tell you like this. I tell you like this man, Listen, listen. You know, at the end of the day, you know, I got love for everybody. You know what I'm saying. I just want to do great things.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And you know, you know, as a matter of fact, I think there's a part in the show where I actually get into this stuff a little bit with a freestyle. So you know, people should just come to the show and check it out. And he how I address it?
Speaker 8: What did oil up your ankles, make your TEMs tap? Mean oil up your ankles, make your TEMs tap?
Speaker 7: What did that mean?
Speaker 9: Put a legs in there? Got you?
Speaker 5: He didn't understand.
Speaker 3: He didn't understand that.
Speaker 5: On Skeevy he was like, He's like, we've never heard Skeve before.
Speaker 3: I'm like me, that's me and top Fight running round like ship me and Top Fight. You know what I mean. It's all good.
Speaker 8: Okay, are you done with movies? Because it's been like and I just this just came to my my radar. It's been ten years.
Speaker 3: It's been a long time.
Speaker 5: I'm actually I'm actually thinking about I'm looking some scripts now and I got some things that I'm working on, you know. I also, you know, I'm gonna be doing uh you know at the time, you know, but right now, I can't really talk about that because there's a strike going on, so I can't really get into you know what I'm saying that I want to be supportive of all my fellow actors and writers out there, so I can't really get into it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Let's talk about music.
Speaker 8: Then, how do y'all feel about we all celebrating fifty years of hip hop icons that haven't gotten paid, like icons that really paved the way, laid this foundation, but they haven't gotten paid the way they feel like they should.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: That's the that's the million dollar question in music isustory because it happens with blues Artists's happened with my dad's O generation and.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, good, no good.
Speaker 5: You know, look, I started Rock the Bells as a company, right, So I gave DJ cooherk equity run DMC has equity, and Rock the Bell's ownership. Roxanne Chante has ownership, Big Daddy Kane has ownership, Salt and Pepa has ownership. Yeah. I gave Eminem actually invested, he wrote a check. He has some you know, Ernie panacolea the photographer hip hop photographer, has ownership. I gave you know, quite a few different people, Fab five Freddy as ownership. And because we've created such a high evaluation with Rock the Bells and what that's become, that equity is going to mean something for them in their states. So my why did I answer like that? Because my thing is this, you don't get better, you get better. And instead of like when I felt like, oh I don't feel like they play my music enough, I got my own channel, right. But then I decided, you know what, it's not about me though, It's about the culture. So I'm gonna play. I'm not gonna be a pig, I'm a flip it. I'm gonna make sure that I take care of everybody. So with Rock the Bells, that question is being answered through action. You feel you feel what I'm saying, and that that's the really the what it's about, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So like, but I'll tell you this.
Speaker 5: You know, for every sob story that we hear about, there are a lot of great stories too. Run DMC are doing phenomenal really well financially, Like there are a lot of artists that.
Speaker 3: You know, have come from that era that really did well. You know what I mean.
Speaker 7: I see running the grocery store with the fur on and it's the summer.
Speaker 5: Ghost.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: So so look where there's some people out there.
Speaker 5: Look what I can say about one thing I can say about Russell and you know, uh, you know even le or later is that well Russell and Rick, especially with that first deal, they didn't bang me out, they didn't screw me over, they didn't you know, you know, like they started it with a fifty fifty published and obviously I got it all back now, but even that start at fifty to fifty could have been zero.
Speaker 7: I would assigned for zero, right, So like I think.
Speaker 1: We just got to take graam Mastic cast has equity and rock the bells like real ownership, so that that kind of a thing. So when you see the festival and when you see all the things we're doing, and when you see all the stuff in the stores and all the stuff.
Speaker 5: They're gonna they're getting paid. They're gonna get paid from now. So that's how you deal with that, you know what I mean, Charlam, That's how you deal with it. You don't deal with it by complaining and pulling out the world's smallest violin and just talking about how sad it is that it happened again. You do something about.
Speaker 3: It, you know, I mean.
Speaker 1: Not only there are things that are happening as well that well you'll know about later, like a union or something you'll hear about it later.
Speaker 2: But you're also hiring DJs too, like in hiring people and hiring personalities and hiring people on your show and concerts and festivals. Like I speak to a lot of DJs that are an older statesman, and they say that, you know, Ella is keeping them alive with the mixes and the programming and the shows and the tours. And that's very important because you know, people have kids, they have families, they have.
Speaker 5: We got to take care of each other, you know what I'm saying, Like, Yo, let's take care of each other. That's all Yo. Listen, it's kindergarten. It's really just kindergarten stuff.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Share That's right, you'll be that's another one a little bit.
Speaker 5: Here's that one.
Speaker 1: It's real kindergarten. He's my granddad, like that's he's the king of every idiom. I wish older man that told.
Speaker 5: Me in my life what that said?
Speaker 8: Is there anybody that hasn't gotten credit or light shined on them that should for what they contributed hip?
Speaker 3: I feel like it's a lot of artists.
Speaker 1: There's a lot, you know, so many, but you know, hopefully uh fantastic romantic with what we're doing. Yeah, well hopefully what we're doing it'll sort of elevate their their situations.
Speaker 8: And I keep seeing Philis four brand Wizard Theodore. You know, you keep talking about somebody named Hollywood.
Speaker 5: DJ Hollywood was on the festival. Yeah, DJ Hollywood. You know he got a show coming to rock the bells. I mean, so many artists, you know what I'm saying, Listen, man, all of the cold crush, you know, or you know, so many of them.
Speaker 3: You know, you think.
Speaker 5: About these different guys and people that rock, you know, Disco Dave, you know Easy Mike, you know, different artists, different people. Man, this culture is very rich, you know globe how these these.
Speaker 6: Are mister Big who you know largely made their contribution before there was any you know anything right set up anything, Yeah, a model set up for you to you know, even be compensated for your art in that way. So you know, folks who I mean, they did it from the muscle for the love, you know what I mean, for the the art, you know what I'm saying. And you know, had it not been for the courage of to feel his crew to Meno would be lost.
Speaker 1: As they say, you know, you know when you look when you look at when you look at those when you look at you know, space X going up in the air, just you know, you know, Sender send a little kiss up in the air for the right brothers.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: It's like, you know, you just gotta remember, like you know what I'm saying, Like they harnessed you know, the physics if physics exists existed, you know what I'm saying. They figured out how to harness the laws of physics that already existed. Once they harnessed it, then people were able to take that and elevate it, take it to another level. So that's why, that's why the credit for me, Like I look at a roots band, and I look at how exceptionally talent they are thought as a as an mc quest, as a as a drummer and producer, and both of them as artists in general, right, like the credibility in art and music, you have to look at that.
Speaker 7: The one thing that I would say is what we have to be very very careful of.
Speaker 5: Is measuring artistic greatness by the number of commons in your bank account. They are not the same thing, and that is that we have to be very careful of that. The Wright brothers did not have what you know Boeing has financially even if you pro rade it go back then they don't have that.
Speaker 7: So we have to be more mindful of that.
Speaker 1: Artists art, and I want hip hop, Like Quest said, hip hop needs to be judged artistically, you know, it's not about like, look, the ability and I've been saying is the ability to be a businessman and an entrepreneur.
Speaker 5: Capture value is very important in society. It's very important for what we do. You know what I'm saying, you gotta get to the back. That being said, that's not the only measurement for art, you know what I'm saying. Nobody cares about how much Leonardo da Vinci made off the Mona Lisa.
Speaker 3: We don't even know.
Speaker 7: We don't know. Yeah, we don't have no idea.
Speaker 3: We just like the painting. So you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like hip hop has gone there in a nasty place where people are more concerned with the finances and less concern with the actual art.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think with any.
Speaker 1: Anything that was once in underground or you know, sort of below radar that becomes the mainstream suddenly turns into the thing that it was once against, you know.
Speaker 5: For hip hop.
Speaker 1: You know, jazz at one point was like an outlawed music. You know, the FBI is shutting everybody down, like jazz was the gangster rap of his day back in the forties. And you know, hip hop was definitely outlaw music in the eighties and nineties, and now like suddenly it's like your grandparents' music. I mean, it's just the evolution of it all. But you know, I was just thinking as a people because we were you know, you're pressed to find any black person that doesn't live in fight or flight, you know, in sort of a panic, and hip hop Woord's like Hustle survived that sort of thing. Like we really weren't ever given a space to be creative or dream or all those things, which you know, these brothers over here like made exceptions to that because they definitely came from environments in which they could have been statistics, you know, but because we allowed ourselves the space to dream in that. So I think at the end of the day, hopefully, especially as a people thing after the pandemic, more and more Black people are getting into like mental health space and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Hopefully the art will change.
Speaker 1: But you know, hip hop is what it is because you know where we are as a people politically, financially, monetarily, artistically in twenty twenty three, and you see what's happening in the news right now, like it's it's every man for.
Speaker 3: Itself and that's why we're doing it.
Speaker 5: Like that's why the tour is all about, like just doing it official and doing it, just doing cool shit and doing stuff that's like really you know official, you know what I'm saying, Like like we're not playing Like that's why when you come to when you come to see us on the road, it's crazy, you know, it's really like we're not we're not doing the commercial thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, we have commercial aspects to the to the show.
Speaker 5: I have commercial some commercial songs in it, but are also digging into crates and doing some things that people aren't even familiar with and doing things that people haven't seen before seen live. So this is an opportunity really to get reintroduced to, in my opinion, how hip hop originally was supposed to be presented to the world.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, Like, I'm really presenting it that way.
Speaker 8: It's a balance, though, right, because you're not LL cool J without those big commercial smashes, right, Like you still.
Speaker 7: Might be an LL cool J, but like you might not be the guy we.
Speaker 8: Know in black thought you one of the nicest people to ever pick up a microphone, but you necessarily don't have the mainstream hit, so people may not recognize that aspect.
Speaker 3: So it's a balance, right, It is definitely a balance. It is if you know.
Speaker 5: But the thing about what I would add to that is that you know, for me, you know, I couldn't have made the songs that you're the songs that you're referring to, if I didn't have the fundamentals as an MC. See, people don't realize the degree of difficulty of creating those kinds of songs. They think the freestyle is harder, but it's not. You know what I'm saying. The difficulty associated with creating the level of songs that I created, that's you know, if it was that easy, then everybody would do it right. So but the difference is because that's not all I did because I was really I'm really a m C from the ground all the way up, all the way up from the beginning. I'm able to do those things and still do the other thing. So that you know, because if you think about the different styles of songs that I made, like you know, you have a lot of people who, like you're talking about, only familiar with those kinds of records. They don't even think about ill Bomb, they don't think about Nitro, they don't think about it gets No, they don't think about all these other songs. They know a Roundaway Girl and I Need Love and Mama said knock you out, which is hard of you know doing it. They know those songs head Sprung, you know which. By the way, it's big Ellie, a big silly, big money big. Really, I just want to be They called me big, you know, you know.
Speaker 3: They probably.
Speaker 5: You know for that matter. I mean, when was the cool j era?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: I mean you know you caught yourself what you want to call yourself?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So now what was your what was your most favorite hip hop moment? All of Yeah, was the most memorable memorable favorite moment?
Speaker 3: Hmm for me?
Speaker 6: You know, I mean, there's been very many of them. I mean, you know, I can't take anything away from again the Grammys earlier this year.
Speaker 3: It was phenomenal for me, and not as much.
Speaker 6: I mean, I feel like the rehearsals, you know, maybe more so than the production, you know what I mean, in that it was just such.
Speaker 3: It was it was you.
Speaker 6: Know, it felt like, you know, I was part of a thing that there were generations of. It was multiple generations up in the room, you know what I'm saying. Me being in a room with DMC and DMC standing in next to the rapper that made him want to do it, and you know, just so on and so forth, grand Master Flash, Jazzy Jeff, you know what I mean, going all the way down the line.
Speaker 3: That was huge for me.
Speaker 6: But you know one, you know, a standout moment for me, like when I felt like I had a ribbed as an MC was many years ago.
Speaker 3: Was it ninety six a Great day of Hip Hop? Ninety eight?
Speaker 1: What was that ninety Soalst Magazine show Double Excelo.
Speaker 3: It was the day we mastered things for all apart.
Speaker 1: It's like September twenty eighth, nineteen ninety eight, were yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Like in ninety eight when you know.
Speaker 6: Everybody, they got all of hip hop essentially together or at least, you know, people who represented every genre, you know, every region.
Speaker 3: We all got together in Harlem and took a photo.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I remember that was based on the image that Gordon Parks took, uh, you know years ago. That was a great day in jazz where you know, all the jazz musicians took the same photo on these in front of these brownstones in Harlem, and I had to step out right before this photo was taken. I had to step out to like one like use a bathroom and some stupid shit. And I left and when I came back there was ready to take the picture. So I'm like, you know, excuse me, like ushering my way back through the crowd because I think what they had the roots was way in the nosebleed of this of this image and that you know, making my way back up to the top, I bumped into rock Camp, you know, when it was my first time meeting him in person. And when he looked at he had like a hoodie on. You know, I ain't know who I bumped into. When I looked at dude, it was like a druid or somebody.
Speaker 3: He lift his head up, pull the hoodie back. He was like, oh ship thought and he was he was like more excited to meet me.
Speaker 6: And I was like, yo, like I must be that dude like I'm fucking here, like you know what I'm saying, and uh yeah, that was that was a huge moment for me.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: I went back up there and you know, I took I took the pic and uh that think things have never been the same for me.
Speaker 5: I think the biggest moment in hip hop for me in my entire career the moment that like really it was they called me big.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 5: I want I want to I want to speak there and that was a moment, I mean, that big elle moment.
Speaker 3: Listen, I want to talk.
Speaker 6: I want to talk about just how fun it is, you know for me as an artist, as someone you know who came up just quoting all these lyrics to what you know, to have a chance to support my heroes, you know what I mean. It's always a full circle moment for me when I get up there and I get to sort of play the support and roll to an l L or a cane or rock camel, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Heroes, man, Yeah, it is huge for me. It's not you know what's impressive though. What's suppressive is you know everybody's catalog have you have? You have a photographic memory, and you sound great and you know it's like it comes natural.
Speaker 7: So it's like you're a pro, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So you know, and you got a why Mike is still can stay out the way, So that's some.
Speaker 5: Real like you know, you know, everybody don't know how to do that, like I'm used to that, you know what i mean. So it's like those kinds of things like, I mean, look, I love working with them, I love the you know what we're doing. You know, I think that when people come and see this tour and see how we're doing it, the guests we bring in and out, you know, from from the Rick Rosses to the whether depending on what city where, Queen Latif or a method man of red Man or Juvenile or even Iced Tea.
Speaker 7: He got some dates on the toy.
Speaker 5: He's gonna be out there with me on stage to I mean, so many different acts that will be on the stage.
Speaker 7: I think people are gonna be blown away.
Speaker 5: So you just this is one of those times when I would just suggest that people come in witness history.
Speaker 7: You know, you you ask questions about hip hop.
Speaker 5: You have questions about fiftieth anniversary of hip hop, you have questions about Okay, l you were there since the beginning, You've seen it, You've done a lot of things. This is a chance for you to come and witness how it's done, you know, for real, at a high level.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, on a plus stage high level. So Scoot how Scretchful.
Speaker 8: Was putting together the fiftieth anniversary tribute for the Grammy, because.
Speaker 5: I know you.
Speaker 3: Make money to.
Speaker 5: QUESSI.
Speaker 3: I'll put it this way.
Speaker 1: Two of the artists dropped out an hour before taping. And the thing is is that it's so tightly choreographed that you're not just dealing with like we make it look easy, like okay, that is not here right now, so let's just skip his part.
Speaker 5: No, because the show is live.
Speaker 1: So this means that now I personally have to run to the light people to tell them, yo, the seven minute and thirteen second portion till eight twenty three is out, and they while they're doing the show live doing commercial breaks, they have to now edit. Then you have to run to the dancers and tell them, hey, guys, bad news. Blah blah blah blah blah's not here anymore. So and they're all like dejected. But then you got also you literally have to like I had an it was the most magiver thing I ever did in my life, where and it still came off like I wasn't even and aware that lou uzi Vert had got my text for him to come on stage to do that. So I'm thinking, I don't know if you remember Purple Range when like Prince stormed off stage after Prople Raine because he thought like he fucked up, Like I was about to have a panic attack.
Speaker 3: Like it's over, it's over, and all the routes are celebrating. I'm like, wait, what do you celebrate war?
Speaker 6: And they're looking on Twitter like you see this, and I was like, wait, Uzzi was on stage only because only because where I was positioned, I couldn't see my like couldn't see if he actually like literally I will say, yeah, the way the stage of the Grammy's Ship was set up, it was two complete different stages. Yeah, you know, so like half the band was, you know, essentially in a different room.
Speaker 1: So it came off. But just as the person who was the traffic cop making up for you know, okay, we gotta skip this song that or whatever, Like it was a difficult one. It was a hell Mary throw and then you know you can caught it. You gotta talk to people, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You gotta you know, everybody has to be you know, you have to you know, some people you have to like you know, Lavender synth Under then No was another dude needs a goddamn he needs a black cup of black coffee. This one over here. You gotta put your thumb right on his trap, right to him. This one you gotta pay. You gotta snap your fingers. Okay, okay, you know what I mean. So it's like, you know, somebody is distracted, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: I feel like that's an impossible show to do, though, because you're going to miss people.
Speaker 4: And people are gonna get me.
Speaker 1: I don't recommend it. Well now, I don't recommend it. I just recommend that you you make sure that you know what you're getting into. Back in November, I was like, oh, yeah, I want to do this, and then by January I was like, I see what y'all did.
Speaker 7: No good guy, not nice guy?
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: We knew in advance we couldn't have everybody. It'd be ten thousand people. We can't do ten thousand songs in a row.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My first draft was like twenty eight minutes because I included everybody, you know.
Speaker 5: What I mean.
Speaker 3: So we had to whittle it down.
Speaker 7: To hip hop deserves that though, right, I think so pop deserves it. Twenty eight minutes on.
Speaker 3: It would have.
Speaker 1: We weren't made it live, but it know, Grammys a three hour fair and there's other categories and.
Speaker 3: All that stuff. So again, something's going to happen.
Speaker 7: That's what I heard. I heard L was doing. I'm hearing that that you're doing one.
Speaker 5: Well, we're talking about all of us, you know, we're talking about some things, and yeah, you know, we got some cool stuff.
Speaker 1: And when the L is involved, like it's extra special. So it's not just like something's gonna like something monumental is really going to happen.
Speaker 8: I feel like you gotta be regional ones, like it gotta be somebody curating Philly, somebody curating New York, somebody curating l A, somebody.
Speaker 5: They all need to be represented like me, like you know, like I love like look, Philly was like come on man, between Philly and Baltimore, I mean Philly going to Lady B after midnight you know, doing all that you know for me was unbelievable. I love Philly.
Speaker 7: I used to do Philly shows like two three times a month.
Speaker 5: But you better believe it. You better believe it.
Speaker 3: We literally fought, we literally all the way live.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: We we literally.
Speaker 1: Thought to tooth and now to make sure that everybody was included, like because I know everyone had their criticisms, like where is that as it was just like we were what we were working with was really you know, it was supposed to be eleven minutes, and we fought hard for those thirteen minutes, like we just and.
Speaker 5: You got to remember how many millions of dollars those minutes costs, right, you know what I'm saying, question Like it's not you know, we were doing right by our culture.
Speaker 7: And that's the thing.
Speaker 5: Quest Look did a massive job curating it, you know, orchestrating it, kind of moving these pieces around, you know what I'm saying, Like, you gotta have.
Speaker 7: You know, you do the best you can, right.
Speaker 5: We knew we couldn't please everybody, you know, he did, he did, He went, He did everything within his power to make sure that everybody was represented on some level, everybody from Chuck D to glow Rialer and little Baby right like.
Speaker 7: You know we you know, and that's it. So now here we are.
Speaker 5: I know y'all got to go.
Speaker 7: But I got a couple more questions. How do y'all feel about lists?
Speaker 8: Because Billboard had y'all ranked number ten group of all time? Really yeah, ll they had you ranked number fourteen of the top rappers ever and you coined the term goat, but for some reason, your name doesn't always get put in those goat conversations?
Speaker 5: How did that?
Speaker 3: Because he's too good? People can never look at it?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, you know, I guess I just got to do something about it. You know, I guess that's uh. You know, that just means I got some work to do, you know what I mean. I guess that's what it means. I mean I could sit here and come up with a thousand different excuses, but at the end of the day, I guess my job is to change that narrative.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, to be continued.
Speaker 7: What about y'all.
Speaker 3: Thought for me? Man? Like, I'm not you know, I'm fine.
Speaker 6: Like whoever, when I do fall like on those lists, it's always, you know, just an honor to be held in the company that I'm held in. You know what I'm saying. It's never any other artists on those that I don't feel, you know, deserve it.
Speaker 3: But you know where you rank.
Speaker 6: I think that you know, it's relative, and I think that you know, it varies from person to person, different folks opinions. Yeah, I know, I'm I'm a force to be reckoning with. I know, everybody know that, so I'm fine with it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you know, the other thing I would add is that, you know, I think this is an overused term, but in my cases, I'm different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know what I'm saying, fact, I really am.
Speaker 5: So it's like, you know, you know a lot of times those lists are based on what have you done for me lately? And there's a lot of recency bias kind of sprinkled in those lists recent. You know what I'm saying, Yeah, you know, you know, so I understand that, and I get it. It's the it's the equivalent of asking somebody who's a better basketball player? Like, yeah, I don't like the sports analogies because artists in the sport I can be seventy and do this. But I would say that, like, you know, you have people who have seen you know, different ball players play in the post in the post Internet era, and then you've had people who didn't play in the Internet era, and then you're trying to compare them, so you can't you compare Jordan to whoever you want to pick in the new era, and people don't get those comparisons. So if they don't understand, like how much the world changed how much I changed the world. If you wasn't dead, you just don't understand that, you know what I mean? You don't like you have to remember that. Okay, just just just with deaf Jam alone, name the artists that will signed to death Jam. Just name no, just over time, name five. So let's stop right there, right. So, I'm the first artist on death Jam. It was a production company, Tela Rock. I'm the first artist.
Speaker 1: I put the label on my back and I got us distribution deal with my album.
Speaker 5: Wow, what are we talking about? What are we really talking about it?
Speaker 3: Like, so.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying that, like that's putting the work into really be a pillar. So now creatively with this new album, what I look to do with the Force, because the album is called The Force.
Speaker 7: Frequency is a real creative energy.
Speaker 5: And what I'm looking to do with this is to give people, you know, you know, a body of work that really gives them an opportunity to go a little deep into what I do, you know what I'm saying, and really get into it so that we can have these maybe those listeners.
Speaker 7: I think the list will change.
Speaker 8: So you know, I think I think certain people can't be ranked. I think you're one of those people who can't be ranked.
Speaker 3: You know what I really think.
Speaker 5: You know what my honest opinion is, Charlamagne, I think that every I think art is about.
Speaker 7: The observer or and music is about the listener.
Speaker 5: And it is how that art affects the observer or how that music it affects the listener. That that's so the fans. Let the fans judge it. Like people always ask me, what do you want your legacy to be? It's like that's you're never going to be able to decide that. You put all your work in in the moment and then you let the fans decide that. You know what I'm saying. So when it comes to those lists, let the writers decide that if that's what the people in that room felt.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 5: We also know that there's some people running around right now. There's a guy in the barbershop who said he's been loving me and I saved his life for years and he loves everything I do, and there's a girl that feels the same way. So it's not really those judgments are not really what it's about for me totally.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying, I just want my fans.
Speaker 5: The ones that love Llo COOLJ, whether the day Ones or the new fans, to hear my music, to come on the road, to enjoy what I do, to love what we're doing together.
Speaker 3: And that's it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: How do we create those conversations though?
Speaker 8: Because you did when you said you're the goat, right, Yeah, started a whole new conversation. How do you start those conversations to let people know like, nah, this is a revered icon.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're Reac and I are in the production business now, So it's.
Speaker 6: It boils down to telling those stories, you know what I'm saying, and in us being able to tell our own stories, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: I might have to do a documentary.
Speaker 1: I might, I would hope, So yeah, I might have to do a document absolutely. I just never wanted to do a movie or documentary because I just didn't feel like looking at myself for hours.
Speaker 3: And hours dealing with that bullshit boring camera.
Speaker 1: You're in tire, Like do you have a collection of like you know, I'm coming.
Speaker 5: Here the perfect person to do that and help me with that.
Speaker 4: I mean, tell you the story.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I gotta ask who I know, you gotta go but the mount Rushmore of hip hop to y'all, who would be the four faces on it?
Speaker 7: Not even personally. You can't do personal as.
Speaker 1: People put hisself on.
Speaker 8: I mean to say, like your personal favorites, like in the future when we're not here and somebody's looking like, who are those people?
Speaker 3: The big I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I have to do it. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. All right.
Speaker 1: So, my as as as a music lover, DJ and a producer, and you know, I'm representing my my era. You know, I was seventeen, eighteen and eighty eight. So for me to hear my record parents, to hear my record, my parents' record collection come alive in these records was everything. So I would say that probably my mount Rushmore of albums would probably be.
Speaker 7: Uh, you're doing albums not artists.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's cheating. No, it's too monolithic.
Speaker 1: Like everyone answer.
Speaker 3: For me.
Speaker 1: Albums wise, I would say A Nation of Millions, three ft I and Rising, and then the thirty six, and probably lastly I might say Midnight Marauders, Like those four records sort of informed me to go deep into the culture and actually to get my own career. So I wouldn't have face. I mean they'll have MC's or whatever. I don't know, but I mean those are what's the criteria for the mount rushmore? What is the criteria I.
Speaker 8: Think people I would I would look at people that are founding fathers but also shaped hip hop as we know now in its whole totality, from the music to commerce everything.
Speaker 3: See that, I think, get in the commerce.
Speaker 7: When you start talking commerce.
Speaker 1: No commerce, no commerce, But I mean the commerce like are because we're talking about but there are people.
Speaker 8: Who transformed the game with their art, like like Doctor D transformed the game.
Speaker 7: They just happened to sell millions of records doing it.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: The commerce on that, But I would say the beats would be the commerce. Correct, now put those records right if you're entire I mean the selling of records is commerce. But you know what I mean, Like when when you say commerce to me, I'm thinking about like business outside of music. Yeah, that's how I took it.
Speaker 1: Your entire hip hop record collection and tape collection, we're taking away from you. Which four would you want to save just.
Speaker 3: For your own listening pleasure?
Speaker 5: I mean that you know for me, it's it's on the album side. Yeah, you mean, just like house is burning down, you get I need you know, look, man, I just keep it. Keep it simple to me. When you talk about like a real rush More and you talk about the shaping of the culture, you have to look at it's first principles. You know, it's like anything else, you break it down the first principles, right, and you know you got to put DJ cool Hirk he started the ship. He ain't on Rushmore. I just he just started it. No big deal, no big deal, this something I did, Okay. And then you have to put run DMC up up there because they kicked down the doors in the walls and you know, put me on their back to a certain stand as well. And I was the solo guy who went out there got shot out of that you know cannon, right. And then you have to put you know, Flash and Mail because Flash, because you know, he made he made us dream of the culture, the DJ, the art of the DJ, the idea that a DJ could affect culture.
Speaker 7: And move culture. Flash made us do that.
Speaker 5: And then you gotta say Mal because he was the first original prolific writer that wrote songs that were beyond just the brag, not just the bragging, because the bragging was very important. See now you know we got all sophisticated and we looked down on the bragging. But like I said earlier, the bragging was our way to get out of our turmoil and out of that that drama that we were in in that inner city.
Speaker 7: That's the that's the core what we do. Like those are the core. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You have a couple of others, but like that core, right there is the real core. Now we could get in anything after that. Fan based this you know, it's based on oh he made money or oh he had a lot of platinum albums. Oh he got people to change their shirts. Oh yo that he got you know, all of that is cool. But DJ Cool, Hirk Run, DMC, Grandmaster Flash and Mail like bro like you removed that in like.
Speaker 3: What you got?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: For me, I think it boils down to, uh, just who had the most impact, you know upon my craft and right, I think it's always been just like a balance between you know, uh uh a certain cadence and you know, something more stylistic.
Speaker 3: So I'll give props to.
Speaker 6: You know, the the ls and you know the BC Boys and the Chuck D's and even running them even though they weren't depth jam artists. But that whole first wave of depth jam artists were the first people that I heard had you know that yeah, that that that that that rush roster. They had that powerful cadence that was just different from with Mel and Curtis Blow and everybody was doing.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, run DMC, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: They came out like balls going on el el cool than Chuck d you know what I mean. Yelling There was the yelling, so it was you know, that was like wow, like they had arrived.
Speaker 3: They you know, changed the way I wrote, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: After I was exposed to that, So that whole wave would be you know, half of my Mount rushmore and then the other half would be once artists you know, started doing something stylistic that you know, made the voice more comparable to an instrument.
Speaker 3: Right, so you know the rock km's and knes and g raps.
Speaker 6: You know people who you know that next graduating class, so you know, the you know, one point five version of what Ellen was doing, who came out and said, you know, I'm gonna challenge myself to do this and not have to yell you know what I mean, I want to draw you in in a different way. So I think what I've done is always been a balance between the two. So that's sort of my mount Rushmore. I think, you know, one one artist that I think has definitely navigated that well. I mean definitely earlier on in his career was Cute, you know what I'm saying. I think, you know, when when Q came out, you know, when he broke off from n w A and started doing his solo ship, it was like that was the space that I.
Speaker 3: Wanted to occupy.
Speaker 6: I felt like that was, you know, reflective of sort of where I was, you know, in between a chuck and you know, like the narrative storytelling of a g rap You know, So did you write for.
Speaker 1: You collaborate on on that?
Speaker 3: You can still tap? You can still cob.
Speaker 5: Now, we never did any music together, no, no, yeah, yeah, people people have a fantasy d on your old absolutely asolutely DJ Pool Bob Cat because remember my second album was part of that crew. Yeah yeah he was. He wasn't in the l A possible, but he was. But he was definitely part of our crew when we produced Big and Deptha and yeah, yeah, DJ Pool, Bobcat, you know what I'm saying, La, Dwayne Simon, Daryl Pierce, they all were you know, part of that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no question, Yes, somebody I saw this on the internet.
Speaker 8: Somebody said around that time, Cube was helping you. You know what, people have this, you know, you know people, they got a lot of stories, bro, They come up with a lot of stories, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: Hey, Hey, Michael Jordan, did.
Speaker 1: Uh somebody ever bounced the ball for you and shoot your jump.
Speaker 5: Shot for you? Like?
Speaker 3: No, I shot the jump shot.
Speaker 1: I just always find answer who did you write? Like, because I just heard the story of you writing for lights Verse on self Destruction?
Speaker 7: Who else have you written.
Speaker 3: For different people? I don't you know, you know I have.
Speaker 1: There been some legendary rhymes from classic stuff that you wrote. We will never know about that you'll take to your grave like yeah.
Speaker 5: Why because it's just it was a different time and people just don't talk about it. And I just but I you know, I wrote for people. But at the same time, like listen, I'm not above collaborating on a chorus or working on something like I'm not picky like that. If I was writing a rhyme and somebody said, YO said a word up, be like, all right, I like that word.
Speaker 3: I'm cool with that.
Speaker 5: But you know, I write my songs, you know what I'm saying. I have to because it has to come from me. And if you collaborate too much on the at least from ll COOLJ fans, If I collaborated too much with somebody on writing, it would affect what they're listening to.
Speaker 7: It wouldn't sound like me, you know what I mean? Because they are.
Speaker 5: Very unique things to ll COOLJ, to black Thought, to quest love, so you have to be you know, very specific. Specificity is universal.
Speaker 6: One of my I one of the things that I've encountered, you know, as a writer in my career is I'm a little bet at it now since I worked on musical theater. But you know, people would hire me to write for them, and it would be hard for me to write in their voice or to write in a way that's gonna make them sound together than you know, like someone.
Speaker 3: Who's doing the Black Store. It's hard to impressure, right, you know, it's hard to dump down.
Speaker 6: Not even I wouldn't say it's a dumbing down, it's just you know, composing and the ranging in a different voice other than your own. It's it's not as easy as one would think it is, you know. So yeah, you know, it's definitely like people who are like ghost writers, who are able to you know, be like water in that way. And if I'm writing for you, like it feels like you, that's a that's that's that's that's not a quiet gift that people people sort of learn over time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I'll give you I'll give you an example. So I tried to do a more collaborative writing album. I did a whole album with fifty cents. Yeah, and we were writing together on this album. And when it was done, I listened to it. I'm like, it sounds good. I like the music, the rhymes, it sounds cool, but it ain't me. So I didn't put it out. It wasn't nothing against fifty. I love fifty. I just wanted to try something different. Maybe we collaborate right together. It didn't work. I think Paradise was.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, no. Paradise is totally different.
Speaker 5: Fifty wrote the chorus on Paradise for a Marie what she sung. He didn't write my rhymes. You know what, I mean, like people get that a little, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That being said, when that happened, I didn't even know fifty was involved.
Speaker 5: That was the track masters. They got that done right, so and they played with the chorus. I liked it, et cetera. But you know, we tried to work together, and that's my man, you know what I'm saying. We real cool, But the collaborative thing when it comes to my verses, that doesn't work for me. And you know, I'm kind of like, it's funny when you do this a long time. The longer you do this, the more people does he still got it? Can he still do it? Is he gonna be able to do it? It kind of reminds me of the Crawfit fight the other night. There were a lot of people who like were really like nervous for off it. Yeah, it was a lot of people that were nervous for Crawfit when he was walking in the ring and he showed what it is. And I think with me it for whatever reason, people are never quite sure if how it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: But do you like being underestimated?
Speaker 1: I love it. I actually love it. I'm good with that. I'm good with that because that, you know, that only makes the jab that much.
Speaker 8: Stiffer underestimated as the fact you've been winning for so long. It just comes to a point where people just like, god, damn, can he lose at something?
Speaker 7: Or they may be bad at something? Can you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: It's just or they forget what happens to every dynasty.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, you know it all comes with the territory, right Like, I'm a big Denzel Washington fan of love Denzel.
Speaker 7: There's great movies.
Speaker 5: You could take him for granted because he's so nice with his thing, Like I don't I don't you know, I'm gonna be real with you, man. I feel very loved. I feel very respected. I feel you know, like number one, I feel like the goat. I feel good, I feel recognized, I feel appreciated. I don't have I don't have have hang ups about like how people perceive me. I'm not like, I'm not pretending to be fourteen and I ain't gonna pretend to be sixty.
Speaker 3: I'm just who I am. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You know, I know you guys gotta go.
Speaker 5: I got well you know you say that like once every half an hour.
Speaker 3: Once once every hapf I gotta.
Speaker 1: Ask, right, So we all go out to dinner, right, LL is paying for dinner because we usually the person the richest money.
Speaker 5: The richest person pays right to la.
Speaker 1: Now when you go when y'all in Magic go out to y'all uh big billion dollar boats and y'all traveling, y'all go to SpaceX and all that.
Speaker 3: Who pays for that? Most of the time Magic?
Speaker 5: Most of the time Magic pays every now and then I pay, I do pay, I do pay.
Speaker 3: But you know, I got much be nice, Like.
Speaker 4: How many do your own l like you have a halt closet?
Speaker 3: I probably is probably as many as you got sneakers, you know what I mean? You have already do.
Speaker 7: What time you was insecure to take the head? Of course?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, But then you know we get over that too, don't we. Like it's pretty obvious. I mean, see, I mean it's pretty obvious. I did fourteen seasons and TV, you know what I mean, with a ball head so into deep ball Head.
Speaker 7: I just didn't like that. I just always felt.
Speaker 8: Comfortable classic role, very underrated role when you played God.
Speaker 3: Yeah too deep?
Speaker 5: You know, actually, Omar, we've been you know, I talked to Omar every now and then. You know what I'm saying, that's my man. Into Deep was definitely a fun movie. People should see it if they haven't seen it, it was fun than we appreciate.
Speaker 4: Make sure the tour. How can they get tickets if they need to.
Speaker 5: Go to I mean, just go to ticketmaster dot com and check it out. The fourth tour. I love Cool Jay and the Roots and oh one other thing. I want to tell you. This show is not like the music stops, then another artist comes on and the music starts in another.
Speaker 3: Out of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't show up. This is one long what is it two three hours? Yes, it's a one long mixtape. It's a mixtape, I mean, And that's how we're fortunes another day.
Speaker 5: Okay, right, so get there, you know, get there on time. You know what I'm saying. We'll be trying to make a grand entrance to ship, seet hurting and all that. Just get in on time. Let's have some fun.
Speaker 7: Hed sprung. The first song that comes, they called me.
Speaker 5: Big hell, oh cool, glazy gentlemen, it's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Good morning,