Speaker 1: Good morning, Usa. Yea ya ya ya yea, yeah, yea yea yea yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo. Charlamagne got piece to the planet. Guess what day it is? Yes, what day it is?
Speaker 2: That's right, it's Wednesday, middle of the week.
Speaker 1: Good morning. We hear what's happening?
Speaker 2: And we got our special guest hosts Ashley with to ease back to day two.
Speaker 3: What's going on? What's happening?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 2: Ahe town ninety three seven to beat morning. How you feeling ash I'm feeling good.
Speaker 3: We went to Brooklyn yesterday. We went to the whole thing library be to go see our friend Gabe on the radar. So I had I had a long day in New York.
Speaker 1: And in New York, Okay, what time did you go to bed? That's the most important thing.
Speaker 3: Nine o'clock's gonna tell my husband. I said, I was going to be at seventh Ie, it's all right, old Wait.
Speaker 1: And what you were doing for the two hours?
Speaker 3: And it don't matter because my location on so you know I was working. Okay, that's all you need to know.
Speaker 1: Nine o'clock. It is a great time to be in dead. That's wonderful to be up at four. That's what seven hours of sleep.
Speaker 3: I was up at two, sir. I had work too. I had such a record. But I don't know how y'all do it. I can't. Maybe after like ten years of doing it.
Speaker 1: I'll get used to it. You never truly do. You never, you never truly do get used to it. It's just some of those mornings like this morning, Like I worked out yesterday, so I'm sore and I woke up saw today. But it's like you're going through the motions, but you never quite get used to it, you know, which. It's something I enjoy. I like being up early.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we're here, especially if you got young children like my my uh, I think she was twenty months now. She she just likes to go to sleep, but she wants to go to sleep like I try to put it down at nine o'clock. But last night she didn't want to go to sleep at nine, and she was talking and she was making faces and jumping on the bed and it was it was a tough one last night.
Speaker 1: Oh No, we got a routine, routine, eight thirty. It's all winding down.
Speaker 2: That's why I tried last night. I don't know if somebody gave us some sugar something. Well, whatever it was, she wasn't. She wasn't playing last night.
Speaker 3: Three years. Know what it is lucky for y'all. Y'all got great people here, you know, like Sim helping you roll your shirt at five am.
Speaker 2: That's right, my damn sure. But she didn't help me. She gave me tape roller. She was like, we ain't got one of the baby. Here's some tape. So well, sho out to Sim. All right, well, let's get the show cracking. LL cool J and the Roots will be joining us this morning.
Speaker 1: Black Thought and Quests. Love man, you're talking about Icons living.
Speaker 2: They're on tour, the Force Live Tour, where I guess it's like a curation of three hours of music and it's of course LL performing. You got special. Guess it's gonna be dope. We're gonna talk to LL.
Speaker 1: LL's first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say that this is LL's first time on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It was a couple of times where I think he wanted to throw you around the ring. You challenge me to a boxing match once for not taking it. Here's the thing about. Uh, this interview, it's an hour and a half long. Yes, so it's one of the ones. That's right.
Speaker 1: I thoroughly enjoyed.
Speaker 2: It, all right, And when we come back, we got Front Page News Sessling figure out will be joining us. It don't move. It's the Breakfast Club on Owning Everybody as Team n V. Charlemagne the God we are the Breakfast Club. We got our guest co hosts Ashley with us. Ashley with to ease, and let's get into Front Page News. Good morning, Teslan, Good.
Speaker 4: Morning, dj Avy, Good morning Ashley, Good morning, Charlemagne, the God Family.
Speaker 2: All right, well let's jump right into it. Let's talk about that Montgomery brawl. So there's some arrest warrant issue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Another update on this story, folks that obviously have been following this everywhere, but Montgomery Police Chief Darryl Albert had a press conference yesterday to provide further details on the Riverfront fight that has been wildly shared on social media the past few days. Let's take a listen and we'll talk about it on the other side.
Speaker 5: The suspects thus far have been identified as Richard Roberts white Mail, forty eight years old with two outstanding warrants for assault third degree. Alan Todd White mail, twenty three years old, one warrant for assault third degree, and Zachary Shipman, white male, twenty five years old, one warrant for assault third degree. We have instructed those individuals to turn themselves into law enforcement and as at this time, one is secured and in custody. The other two are set to turn themselves in within the next hour. We're also asking for mister Regie Gree, the black mail forty two years old, who was seen wielding that folding chair, to contact the Montgomery Police Department for further interviews and as part of disinvestigation.
Speaker 1: I am a dying life. I'm not coming back to have a conversation. You got no choice. They know your name. You gotta come up and I'll pull up with the voting chair. He didn't say it was a wrest war. They said they'll have a concept pull up with the folding chair, and that's what I would sit in when we have in an interview, I would say, my attorney unless there's a rest war and I'm not talking already spoke. All you got to do, regick in deplete temporary and sanity man he was or.
Speaker 4: Guess what he completed. He could just say, hey, I fear for my life. He can do the police officers do, and we'll see if that. We'll see if that works.
Speaker 1: Maybe he could try it hitting the white woman. That ain't gonna work if you hit that white woman randomly.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but unfortunately when they when they killed Pam Turner, when they killed Brionna Taylor, they were able to say fearful.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm being facetious. We know it won't work, but I did want to point out.
Speaker 4: That they're always able, you know, police officers able to shoot us down, you know, and say hey, I fear for my life when they murdered Pam Turner. So I doubt it would work with him, but I'm being facetious. Obviously it won't work.
Speaker 2: But why wouldn't the white women have warrants healed for their rest because they were swinging on their brother too.
Speaker 1: No, that's a great question. That's a great question.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe we should put that out there and ask, and again we'll see, we'll follow this. Asking to come in for an interview doesn't necessarily mean you know that he would be charged, but we know how America works, you know, could the possibility is certainly there. I continue to keep following the story, but it's just really interesting, guys. What do you think about how this conversation has just really, you know, become a staple in our community. I saw yesterday somebody got a tattoo of the chair on their arm, So I remember, you think that's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: That's ridiculous, I mean, because the reality is what I like about this whole situation is just and I think we all like it's just the unity, the solidarity and the group operation, people having each other's backs. That's it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: That's what I would like for people to take away from this situation, not tattoos of chairs, you know what I mean. That's what I want people to carry with them from now on. You know, if you see, you see your fellow brother, your fellow sister in need of assistance, help them stop pulling out you. They don't get me wrong, there was a bunch of people pulling out their damned we needed all those angles. But a lot of times that's all we see people pulling out their phones and recording as far as instead of people you know, taking action. So that's what I take from the situation.
Speaker 6: Mm hmmm, Well.
Speaker 4: They call Fred Hampton the chairman. You remember he was the chairman as well, so I guess now the chairman is a new level to what the chairman means.
Speaker 2: So all right, well that is your front page news. Now get it off your chest. Eight hundred five five five one. If you need to vent, phone lines to wide open again eight hundred five eight five one one, call us up right now. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: It's a new day.
Speaker 2: Is your time to get it off your chest way, whether you're.
Speaker 1: Mad or blessed, time to get up and get something. Call up now. Eight hundred five eight five one five one. We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club. Hello, this Pepsi, Joe of Morning DJ and b Charlo Mane.
Speaker 2: You have a guest today, Yes.
Speaker 1: We have Ashley with to ease.
Speaker 3: What's up? What's going on?
Speaker 1: Actually went to easy, respectfully.
Speaker 7: I'm just showing a little love from Brooklyn right now.
Speaker 8: And I think they blow that Alabama boat. Don's a little way too far. There's too many fights going on in the city for that to get blown up. But I do love how people came in to help.
Speaker 1: It's about the solidarity and the unity and the group operation. That's what. That's what, That's what I'm I do.
Speaker 9: Like that?
Speaker 8: Can I get one shout out to my uncle recently Contola shout outwal Man bought to the SIG today.
Speaker 2: Much love from Harlem, be safe, Thank you, sorry for your losses.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hi, good morning.
Speaker 10: This is Mary.
Speaker 11: I'm calling from North New Jersey, Yes VIC City, So this is what I called you. I'm I'm calling because I'm so blessed. I was so inspired by doctor Cornell West yesterday because I'm in my destiny too.
Speaker 12: I'm the young lady.
Speaker 11: Who wrapped the fifty just last year and now I'm seventy two years old, and I worked with brother who are in prisons, and as I said, Corndell West inspired me so much by listening to him because one of the things that I love doing is writing resumes for businesses who had been incarcerated to get employment. So I'm not stressing about anything. I'm blessed that the creator has blessed me with so much experienced and healthy brothers. And also I wanted to mention a brother who was in prison for five years and while he was in prison, he created a cognitive program for business who have been incarcibrated and it's called Solution, the Revolution, the Evolution of a Hustler. His name is Lance McCraw. Okay, he is now a millionaire selling banana pudding, the beast.
Speaker 1: Wow, selling banana putting. He made a million dollars off banana pudding.
Speaker 11: That's what he's doing. And guess what, he's in over two hundred shot rights in New Jersey. He's also now in New York. He's in the seven eleven. And uh, you can go to my Facebook on my website and you can see the bits that we're doing because I started a re entry program as well. And he's my he's my vice president.
Speaker 1: Hold on, what's the name of banana pudding.
Speaker 11: It's called It's Lyrical Chef.
Speaker 1: Miracle Chef, the Lyrical Lyrical Hell okay, oh, it came right up. Lyrical Chef. There go.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and his name is LAMB for Growth.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well, thank you. I'm gonna pull up the shop right and get some of that.
Speaker 2: Get it off your chest. Eight hundred and five eight five one o five one. If you need to vent, hit us up now. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Ray right, ray yo, charlote mack yamfy, what up.
Speaker 12: Are we lying?
Speaker 2: This is your time to get it off your chest.
Speaker 1: I got an indoor pool pool.
Speaker 2: We want to hear from you on the breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Get on the phone right now here, tell you what it is. Hello, who's this?
Speaker 2: This is Giant.
Speaker 13: What's up?
Speaker 1: Dj ymvy Giant? What's up? Get it off your chest? Brother man.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to say shout out to all the people that get up early and go to work. I'm a medical laboratory worker.
Speaker 8: Sow.
Speaker 7: I'm up at three am every day, coming in save the lives, helping out these old folks. So shouted all the old folks and the people getting up early.
Speaker 8: Doing the work.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thank you brother, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Have a good one.
Speaker 1: Hello. Who's this?
Speaker 14: Hi?
Speaker 1: My name is Tara, Hey Caarra.
Speaker 2: Get it off your chest, mama.
Speaker 15: I'm just calling again my friends and my family their flowers. Well, first, I have ever take business. He's called a piece of k when they give myself a shout out. My husband who started.
Speaker 16: At the brook Run Festival, which will be hosted this Saturday, August twelfth and my best friend who has thirty minute hits all women kickboxing gym on Fulton Street and now strengths.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, thank you mama for checking in.
Speaker 15: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Hello? Who's this?
Speaker 14: Hey?
Speaker 2: Is key?
Speaker 1: Hey? G?
Speaker 8: And key?
Speaker 1: Get it off your chest? Key?
Speaker 8: Hi?
Speaker 17: Yes, So I'd like to talk about that Tory Lane and Megan the Stallion situation, and I'd like to say I do not agree with Tory Lane dancing years. I don't follow the masses everybody a brand and talking crazy about this man. I'm pretty sure there's something deeper than that.
Speaker 11: But I know I would have respected.
Speaker 17: Meghan some times more if you really would have been to tie your time.
Speaker 1: I don't think you know, you know what I keep wondering about this situation. I don't think any of y'all read the case because the reality of this situation is, if you actually read the case and you read all the evidence against Tory LANEZ, including the phone call that he made from the jail, you knew that he was gonna get found guilty and not to mention, you know, he did stand up yesterday in court and take responsibility for his actions and say that he wished he could change the events of that night. You do realize that, right, Listen.
Speaker 11: I didn't say he's not guilty exsive.
Speaker 1: I think that came off good. For shooting at somebody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's just someone that at close range. What do you think is not accessive? What do you think is appropriate? That's a question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ten years for shooting at somebody, especially a woman as a man, I think he came off kind of good. Yeah, he's only got to do eighty five percent. I say eighty five. That's not a lot, but you gotta do eighty five percent. That's what eight and a half years. Eighty got, ten months served, Well, you probably do like seven years.
Speaker 2: Get it off your chest, eight hundred and five A five one oh five one. If you need to vit, you could always call us up.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we're gonna be talking about this in detail when we come back, Ashley.
Speaker 3: Yes, we definitely are gonna be talking about Tory Lanez and the sentencing, as well as like a crazy fan who showed up to the to the courthouse blaming Megan because she had a miswork to be there.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right, Well we'll get into all that when we come back, so don't move. It's to Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody's dj n V charlamagnea god. We are the Breakfast Club. We got our guest co hosts Ashley with to ease with us.
Speaker 3: What's happening.
Speaker 2: Of course she reps h Town ninety three seven to be shout to my he Town family out there. Let's get right into the rumors.
Speaker 1: I don't know what house, Ashley to. You already know this circle moment from me on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Let me pop it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So obviously the biggest topic this morning is Tory Lanez being sentenced to ten years in prison. So yesterday Judge David Hereford sent his Tory Lanes to ten years for shooting Megan Thee Stallion. He is convicted in December of three felonies assault with a semi automatic firearm, having a loaded and registered firearm in a vehicle, and discharging a firearm with gross negligence.
Speaker 18: Here's a statement, Raperatory Lanes gets ten years in prison for shooting and injuring Megan thee Stallion. Lanes was convicted of three felonies in the case back in December. The judge said it was quote difficult to reconcile the kind person and good father. Many described Lanes as being with the man who fired the gun at Megan. Megan testified that Lanes fired the gun at her feet and shouted for her to dance as she walked away from an suv. This was back in July of twenty twenty. DA George Gascoon and read a statement from Megan thee stallion.
Speaker 9: Fortunately, the District Attorney's office fall for me. I'm incredibly grateful to them and the jury for the attention to the evidence inciting with the truth. But it can happen if it can happen to me, imagining those who lack the resources and support systems to help him.
Speaker 3: So I remember it's been three years since this shooting happened. I've been twenty twenty, and prior to sentencing, Tory was seeking probation or minimal prison sentence, while prosecutors were asking for thirteen years. I think the maximum was like twenty two. So he got ten. And inside the courtroom, Tory said, if I could turn back the series of events that night and change them, I would. The victim was my friend speaking about Megan. The victim is someone I still care for to this day, and everything I did wrong that night I take full responsibility for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's only interesting for everybody who keeps saying they don't believe Tori did this, like as you just read Ashley. According to NBC News, he said and caught. Yesterday, he apologized for his actions and said he took full responsibility for the shooting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of his exact quotes was, if I could change it, like you just said the change it, I would, but I can't. Everything I did that night I take full responsibility. I'm just truly trying to be a better person, which I don't understand, because why would you wait until the day you are sentenced to come clean? Like everything his lawyers was trying to do, like saying that he had childhood trauma and an alcohol problem. That only works if you admit you did it. So if that was gonna be your defense, he should have came clean a whole lot earlier.
Speaker 3: You don't wait to the day it centicent like given yesterday they said, like, if I did do it, it's because I suffer from trauma and alcoholism. It's like he was trying to look for every plausible deniability loophole.
Speaker 1: There was, as I say, after the Internet. You know what I'm saying, If you get your information from the Internet, from the narrative created online, then you're gonna be misinformed all the time, especially when it comes to legal cases. Because when I read the details of this case a couple of years ago to actual court documents, and I saw all the evidence that was against Tory, including the recorded phone call from jail with him apologizing while Megan was in the hospital, I knew he'd be found guilty. And I couldn't understand why Toy was doing what he was doing on social media. I didn't understand why he put put an album out talking about the incident, like there was absolutely zero reason for Tory Lanez to be trying this case in the court of public opinion where he was.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the problem. Most people don't don't read that, Like they're not gonna go through the AFIDEBT, but they're gonna see what the headlines are and go with the headlines. And even like yesterday, people were talking, they were comparing cases. They were comparing this to the Pop Smoke case with the guy who one of the dudes got four years and it was like, well, how does he get four years for murder? And this happened for this, So people just compare things for no reason. They're totally two different cases, but two different states. Two different Yeah, two different states, and so I guess it's both for California. Ye, it's both for California. So I guess he'll have to serve the ten years and then he'll get deported back to Canada.
Speaker 3: So here are served here and then get deported.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has to serve it head and then he gets deported.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, yes, but that sound like does that matter? Like good behavior? It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think I think it all is. It's always good behavior. You get eighty five percent of time of good behavior.
Speaker 3: Okay. Well, also in this case of Ella County DA George Gascone, he said that women, especially black women, are afraid to report crime like assault because they are too often not believed, and he commenced Megan the sallion for her incredible bravery and vulnerability as she underwent months of probing, investigation and court appearances where she had to relive her trauma and the public scrutiny that followed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I just would never understand why Tori was doing what he was doing on social media, Like I would never understand why he tried to try this case in the court of public opinion. None of that ever mattered. Doesn't matter what anybody online thinks about this situation. It's about what happens in that actual court room.
Speaker 3: Well, what was he doing when this happened? Quarantine radio, So that was his thing, was going to Instagram and like, m let me get these people to co sign me, let me get let me get some support.
Speaker 2: Maybe I can show like, but I think as a community we always have that problem. Like, if there's a situation, if anything is going on, the best thing to do is if you have a good attorney, is he'll tell you to shut the f up and handle it in court. And then when courts over, then you could run around and say what you want to say or whatever it may be, because whatever you say, as we've seen in this case, can be used against you in the court of law.
Speaker 1: So they said, they said he was antagonizing Megan online. Like a lot of the reason that he got this tiff sentence is because of the stuff.
Speaker 2: Yes, that he was doing online, correct, because he was one of them.
Speaker 3: I don't get it all y'all asked why I call myself Ashley was too easy because the Ashley with the wires a little crazy because there was an actually that showed up to the courtroom who was like a crazy super fan of Tory Lanez. That's what she's saying.
Speaker 1: I'm a woman and I DK same thing.
Speaker 19: Was sad.
Speaker 1: And Lane still about.
Speaker 2: Him a war for him period.
Speaker 1: When I see her a lot of with.
Speaker 10: Megan thee Stallion, that's like, yes, that win are being nice. Megan should thank me because if you haven't for me, Megan thee Stallions, y'all, he hasn't fout Oh anxiety, Oh, I really can't.
Speaker 12: For the salience.
Speaker 1: The way what type of music will really be coming out? Y'all that you don't got no anxiety? I won't bring anxiety.
Speaker 19: Who are?
Speaker 3: I just want to clarify that when the name was Ashley Ramirez with a why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can promise you none of that helped Tory in court. You know what I'm saying. If the person you are defending is on trial for something violent, you probably don't need to show support by acting violent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But then if you look at some of the viral tweets in support of Tory, some are saying Tory lanez didn't deserve ten years. That's insane. They'll crucify a black men any chance they get, so it said Tory lane is getting sentenced to ten years in prison for a shotty that was Torken shortly after the incident is disheartening to say the least. I don't know what to make of that. How someone gets shot and.
Speaker 2: Well, people have the right for their opinions. People people feel what they want to feel, and like Charlotage said earlier, a lot of people don't know what actually happened in the case, so they're just basing this off of Internet and not off of the facts, and sometimes the facts show a different light.
Speaker 1: One day we're gonna have to have a conversation about do people have to right to their opinion? I think people have the right twin informed opinion. Correct, you know what I'm saying. If your opinion is just based on you know, a false narrative of your opinion is based on lies, I don't think you have the right to that. I think you have the right to informed.
Speaker 2: Right and informed.
Speaker 1: I mean an opinion rooted in facts correct.
Speaker 3: I know you're not on Twitter no more, but like there's a little fact check box that shows up when you tweet. I feel yeah, I feel like everybody needs to like finish.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it'll like do you want to read the article for your tweet? It's like, nah, just tweeted.
Speaker 1: Also it'll fact check it and then give you the actual information.
Speaker 3: But someone has to go in and fact check it, like put something now at America Festival has been canceled. Yesterday was announced that the Philly festival that takes place every September has been canceled this year. Lizzo and says that we're set to headline the festival, and fans speculated that it was because of the heat that Lizzo is currently facing right now. Really official statement cites the cancelation being a result of production issues outside of the control, and it does say due to severe circumstances outside of production control, they can no longer have this festival. But I don't think even if it is little, they can easily replace.
Speaker 1: Isn't it? Two headliner is always Yeah, they had.
Speaker 3: They had a whole they had a lot of they had they had a whole bunch of like a team like Army.
Speaker 2: I wonder if it was low ticket sales, because a lot of these concents have had a lot of low ticket sales.
Speaker 3: You're trying to throw a festival the year Drake and Beyonce or touring, that's true, Like it ain't happen.
Speaker 1: They couldn't find a bigger artist in Little. There's got to be somebody bigger than Little that they could put.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, Beyonce is on tour, Drake's on tour.
Speaker 1: I didn't even need a double headline. It's probably little ticket stale. That's probably what it is.
Speaker 3: Probably ticket We also had Miguel TAM's Ice, Spice, Metro, Command, Coiler, Ray Lotto, Lola Brook, Coco Jones, Doci Oh, come on, and anymore.
Speaker 1: You gotta yeah, they would have been fine. It's little ticket seals.
Speaker 3: I mean again, this is a year that Beyonce, Drake, Taylor, Swifts all went out to three of the biggest artists. Right, people ain't got money for that?
Speaker 2: All right, well that is your rumor report. Now when we come back, we got front page news telling figure Oi be joining us and l L cool J and the Route will be joining us. So don't move it's the Breakfast Club on b e T everybody. It's j ND Charlamagne the guy. We are the breakfast Club. We got our special guest, hosts Ashley with to ease a morning and let's get back in the front page news.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about this.
Speaker 2: Court throws out conviction after the judge says black man looks like a criminal to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is crazy, and appeals Court thursday overturned the drug conviction of a black man, Leron Liggan, saying his rights were violated by a Detroit federal judge who was upset over delays in the clay the case and declared, this guy looks like a criminal to me.
Speaker 18: Now.
Speaker 4: The US district judge, Stephen Murphy, who was white, apologized nearly two years later, when the case against larn finally was ready for trial. He explained that at the time he was mad and he regrets it. The appeal court said that Murphy should have removed himself as the judge at the time, but he did not, So the court threw out the Dutch the drug distribution conviction and the ten yured prison sentence and ordered a new trial with a different judge. So let me ask you guys, should they should he get another trial? Should they just charge it to the game?
Speaker 1: But what does a criminal look like? That's what I would like to do. What did the judge criminal look like? What is the profile of this young man? And he thinks this man looks like a criminal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, so what happened was during the case, he I guess lost his composure. He got upset because the ligands actually exercised his rights. Uh, he switched between wanting a plea deal and choosing a trial. And so the judge didn't like that, and he said, you know, I'm tired of this case. I'm tired of this defendant. I'm tired of getting the run around. This guy looks like a criminal. To me, this is what criminals do. Innocent people don't do this if they want a faire trial. He's playing games with the court. And so because he made that statement in front of the jury, they're saying, hey, you basically influencing the jury.
Speaker 2: Right, and it wasn't right to do.
Speaker 5: So what was it?
Speaker 4: It was?
Speaker 1: What type of condictions?
Speaker 4: Drug?
Speaker 1: It was a drug case?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let him go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just charge it to the game.
Speaker 2: Charge it to the game.
Speaker 1: I mean it sounds like it sounds like a mistral. Usually just put another judge on that case and retry it.
Speaker 4: They're putting another judge on the case, and that's what I'm answering. You should they put another judge on the case or just charge it to the game?
Speaker 1: Catch you next time? I mean, you gotta. I would I would want them to follow the letter of the loss. I would want them to put another judge on the kick and they just retry the situation. That's usually what happens in those situations. Just don't get this bitsed. I wish it was that easy, but it's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but at this point, man, you got the man saying looks like a criminal means all over the news people see in this case, like you.
Speaker 1: Bring a new judge. You bringing a new judge with some new eyes. And maybe that person don't look like a criminal in that judge his eyes. Shoot, maybe that person is just listening to the actual evidence.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'll be nervous if I was saying, now, let's talk about these thousands of city workers that picket it yesterday in La. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Once again, like doctor West mentioned earlier this week on you know, all of these strikes happening everywhere, and once again yet another strike. Yesterday did a one day strike in La the Los Angeles City workers walked out. Now this marks the first strike action by the Los Angeles City workers in more than forty years. ABC seven has the report.
Speaker 2: Take a listen.
Speaker 20: A twenty four hour strike by eleven thousand Los Angeles City workers across multiple departments hasn't left the city crippled, but certainly sent a message to those who work at city Hall that they feel disrespected.
Speaker 1: We haven't guns put on when we're just trying to do our job. We ain't for our type of protection.
Speaker 7: We can't get that.
Speaker 1: Well, we complain to our manager and stuff. We weren't getting no.
Speaker 4: We don't get no l Everyone walked out yesterday. It was very interesting when I looked at the report. All of the sanitation workers you're gonna refuse to pick up trash. So you saw a huge, uh, you know, parking lot full of you know, sanitation workers. So I think people have a new expect for that when your garbage isn't picked up. And so they're allegedly, you know, supposed to be going back to work, but they said they still you know they want fair negotiations like everybody else. You know, they have repeated labor law violations, and so they're asking that the city negotiates in good faith.
Speaker 1: So why do we act like those sanitation workers aren't public servants that are necessary for all community. You know what I'm saying. We have no idea how you know, stretch free. They make our lives. Until you see all that trash piled up on the side of the road, and now you're like, damn, anybody gonna pick the traps up? Yeah, the same people that you neglecting, the same people that you acting like, you know you shouldn't, you know, treat well right, Yeah, yeah, y'all respect the sanitation workers.
Speaker 21: Man.
Speaker 1: It's all of those people like that that make all world go around and that make all lives easier that we just for whatever reason, tend to neglect all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, they see even in New York, New Jersey, a lot of the sanitation workers in the winter do the snowplow as well. They get the snow out the way too. So, yes, they are definitely needed, and they definitely need to be respected. We need to make sure they act.
Speaker 1: Would your data sanitation worker.
Speaker 4: Test absolutely shout out to my uncle Daniel rest in peace. Was a sanitation worker for the great City of Houston, Texas, Ashley with TUIs for over thirty years. And not only was he did he retire as a sanitation work he had great healthcare insurance. And he also used to collect copper, you know, on a lot of his runs. And Uncle Dan, you will probably get about an extra thirty or fifty thousand a year just on copper. So absolutely I would because that means I would date somebody like my uncle.
Speaker 1: There you go see public servant thro all the sanitation workers out there.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Absolutely all right, Well, that is front page news. And make sure you subscribe to Teslin Figureo's podcast, A Great Shot No Chase of podcasts on the Black Effect iHeart Radio podcast Network, and follow Teslim figure O on all social media platforms at Teslin figure Rot.
Speaker 2: That's right, all right, when we come back, legends will be in the building.
Speaker 1: We got an icon living who's never been up here, that's right. We got the legendary a legendary hip hop band, that's right.
Speaker 2: L COOLJ and the Roots women joining us, and we'll get to kick it with them when we come back.
Speaker 8: Don't move.
Speaker 2: It's the Breakfast Club. Come morning, the Breakfast Club. Morning everybody. It's DJ MV Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 1: We got some special guests in the buildings. Yes, indeed, some legends, some icons. Of course. We got the Roots Black Thought and Quest Love Welcome. Everybody is black from the Roots. They've been up here before.
Speaker 2: And we got another icon that's never been up here before, the legendary icon L L.
Speaker 1: Cool J Welcome, Queen's Timer. It's first time LL stand for a living legend. At this point, I appreciate that absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 2: So let's first start with you know, why you guys are here together, because people are like, well, why is LL and the Roots together? So you guys are going on the road on the tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So how did this saw it come about? Who's whose version? I mean really, who's insure?
Speaker 22: You know, the Planet Center stars sort of aligned themselves and and and you made it possible for us to work together on this huge segment that we did for the Grammys this year. And I think you know from that the idea of us always haven't wanted to, you know, work together in some way, just you know, it opened the collaborative path and it was like, Yo, why don't we try to.
Speaker 1: Take this show on the road. It was huge.
Speaker 22: What we did just in that one fifteen minute segment was so huge for the culture. And you know, this being hip hop's fiftieth anniversary and you know that that whole deal, it made sense to try and you know, do something celebratory in that way.
Speaker 1: You know, from region to region, Now.
Speaker 2: Ladies love Cool James what got you into hip hop and said, you know what I want to be MC? Where where did the love come from? As a kid from Queens and say this is what I want to do.
Speaker 19: You know, when those first wave of tapes came around, like you know Cole Crush Brothers and Fantastic, Romantic Five and Foursome Seeds and Treacherous Three, you know, Grand Master, Furious five and all of those groups, when they were just tapes run around, you know, hallm World tapes, and then the songs came. That was the first time that I heard young black kids sounding powered. It was the first time that I heard or could envision us doing something great because before that, all the images I had seen were us like handcuffed, you're putting a police car or some sort of charge or you know, so that empowering feeling, you know, the braggadocio thing that you know that we really focused on came not from a place of looking down on high on people, but more about I could be somebody. You know what I'm saying. The world looks at me and like I'm invisible. My friends up the block get killed and nobody says anything. So when I'm bragging and I'm boasting, what I'm really doing is saying, hey, look at me, I exist, you know what I'm saying. So for me, that was a real special thing and a spectacular thing. I mean, I'm eight, I'm nine years old. I'm ten years old, and I'm being introduced to this thing and I just completely fell in love with it. And then, you know, eight nine, I'm a fan of the Wrap. My grandfather broughts me some equipment. At eleven, I'm djaying, I'm messing around with that, but I'm still rhyming and I'm going back and forth. And then you know, eventually one thing led to another and here we are death Jam and the whole whole nine.
Speaker 1: Do you consider yourself a founding father of hip hop? You know, people always gonna say, you know, cool her, you know, Grandma after Flash, people like that.
Speaker 19: But as far as hip hop as we know now, I would say, you and Run DMC. Yeah, So so I'm you know, I'm definitely Generation one point five. You know what I'm saying. You got to give Flash and HERK and Force and all and grab what was the theodore they're do. The thing that myself from Run DMC did. What we did is we took it to the world. We took it global, you know what I'm saying. We took it from the city and took it around the world, you know what I'm saying. And that was the difference. So they they brought it, they took it from from the Bronx and Harlem out to the Five Boroughs and you know, around the world. Somewhat, they didn't penetrate the market quite as deeply. Then we took it and made it global.
Speaker 22: And it's I think I think from from a Philadelphia standpoint too, you know, just from the outside looking then with that that one point five generation with with you and all, just like Running d that was our first time sort of.
Speaker 1: Seeing our own reflection exactly.
Speaker 22: It was like, you know, I'm like again, I was a huge fan of all the other founding fathers, but they didn't look like people from around my way, you know what I'm saying. And when I saw a run jam Master Jay l they looked like the corner boys, Like that was outside and I saw myself in that.
Speaker 1: So you know, that's where a lot of the inspiration for me to do.
Speaker 2: What I do came from. Not to mention you know, ella.
Speaker 23: You know, l is very modest, but Lle literally invented what I call postmodern hip hop, like the three minute raps song sixteen bar like before LL even Run DMC's first album, Like it's like that's like eight minutes, like seven verses, you know what I mean. Like LL literally invented the sixteen you know, maybe the twenty fourth the course, you know what I mean, Like oh, the song that's courses on it. So I love rap, yeah, like literally emotions on rap. Like he's he's pioneered for like so many things that he never gets credit for. He was like the first teen idol, the first Like there's so many first with him that you just you take it for granted.
Speaker 2: So I was gonna ask when you you talked about deaf Jam. So let's talk about that. They when they came to you with a contract to sign. Do you remember what your first contract looked like and how much they gave you?
Speaker 19: Yeah, well, well, I mean talk about that for you know, you gotta remember that deaf Jam was a production company.
Speaker 1: There was no label.
Speaker 19: Okay, it's Yours by Tila Rock was on Party Time street Wise label. It was deaf Jam Productions, which was Rick was the producer along with Jazzy J. And it was more than a contract. They were actually forming a label. Rick was having a problem, you know him, and he was having problems getting his money from the other label he was dealing with, so they wanted to start this new thing. So you know that first contract, at the time we split the publishing, they gave me like fifty thousand. But before that, actually, my first single I ever made, I didn't have a contract. When I made I Need a Beat, which was the very first song I ever made, I had no contract. It was just like, yo, let's just get it and we'll figure it out. You know what I'm saying. Sometimes you gotta be willing to crawl over the barbed wire fence with no shirt on you know what I'm saying, to get what you want.
Speaker 1: With no shirt on. You know what I'm saying, By the end of the store, I might have one hundred. I'm on number six already. That was what it was. And you know how old were you at this point? Sixteen? I was sixteen when I mean yeah, when we started Death Jam, I was sixteen. Did you ever feel like you should have had like equity and depth Jam? You did have equity in Death Jam. I did have equity and Death Jam. I just sold it a little early, but I definitely had ownership in Death Jam, ownership in fool Boat. I have ownership in NCIS Los Angeles ownership and damn lip Sync Battle I have. You know, I own my catalog. So the things that I do, you know, I did well, But I didn't do it for the money.
Speaker 2: And where did you get the business mind from? Was was it your mom's? Was it you know uncle?
Speaker 13: Like?
Speaker 1: Where did you get that?
Speaker 2: Because I don't think a lot of people were thinking ownership back then. They were just thinking I need to blow up.
Speaker 1: You know what? You know what I've learned?
Speaker 17: Man?
Speaker 19: You know, like, and people may have heard me say this before, you know, if a homeless man tell you not to do push up some traffic. You should listen because you might get ran over. A lot of times people were like yo, another one yo. A lot of people were like, yo, you homeless?
Speaker 7: What do you know?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 19: Brown today in the news. So the business thing I learned from people before me and after me. Now what the Monica ladies love cool j Right? Did you always feel like these dudes gonna think I'm sweet? So I'm gonna I have to have these these rhyms in the corner just in case. The ladies love cool Jay thing was just wish for thinking. You know, I'm fifteen on one girls ladies love cool Jack right.
Speaker 1: It wasn't really not being true.
Speaker 19: It didn't have to be that like people took that a little. It just kind of worked out. It'll cool Jay. I hope you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But you never rebelled against the sex symbol image I saw like it. I mean, look, I made I need love because I like girls.
Speaker 19: I may like rock the bells because I like the do the hard for me growing up, I like girls, right, So putting I need love out me doing love songs is the equivalent of me walking into projects with a neck full of jury.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing.
Speaker 19: The strength isn't doing what you want to do true artistically, that's where the strength is. I do what I want to do artistically. I don't do what they say I should do, because then I'm not being me, I'm fronting, I'm being somebody else.
Speaker 1: Right, So I think that you know, and I just say, just a lot of.
Speaker 19: Young men in general, never limit yourself to the perception of what other people think you should be.
Speaker 1: Don't limit yourself to that. Be yourself, all right?
Speaker 2: We got more with ll cool J in the Roots when we come back, don't move. It's the Breakfast Club, Good morning owing everybody is DJ Envy Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club's still kicking it with LL cool J in the Roots. Does that have a baldy with for y'all that you know, y'ell are so legendary and hip hop, But people might not look at you as a raper. They might just look at you as an actor, or people might not look at y'all as the Roots, as in a group, but just the guys that we're being for tonight, you know, the younger generation especially, No, I.
Speaker 22: Think there's value in that we've been able to reinvent ourselves in a way that our brand has had, you know, different iterations, different complete just lives. So the fact that yeah, we've been on you know TV every day for the past fifteen years, it's a whole demo. They only know us from that, so that leaves a whole new space for them to explore when they discover our body at work. And then there's people who've been die hard fans of you know, l L and the Roots forever who may have lost track of our musical contributions along the way.
Speaker 1: So I just appreciate the chance to sort of keep reintroducing myself.
Speaker 22: Me and Lle was just talking about how, you know, you just pop out every now and then as an artist to shut it down with those little, you know, not not so gentle reminders, you know what I'm saying, And you're good, and that's sort of how we navigate the space.
Speaker 19: And you know, the way I look at it as it's just an opportunity, you know what I'm saying. It's a beautiful opportunity to put you up on something new and if you don't know, come find out, come to the show.
Speaker 1: You know, what I'm saying. That's why we're on tour. You can come see some music.
Speaker 19: It's multi generational, you know, just like the festival, multi generational. So come out to the tour, come to the forth tour, see what we're doing. You know what I'm saying, Get put onto something new. It's that simple, you know what I'm saying. If you don't know, come find out.
Speaker 1: Is it true that Jimmy Fallon is paying the staff out of the pocket? Why y'all all straight?
Speaker 23: That's a no question, Like, let me check my check, let me check my baby account right now that I got like nineteen other jobs.
Speaker 1: It's not like you know, no, no one is getting paid. Uh after that, that's kind of a myth.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask, was there any at any point of any of your lives did y'all lose love for hip hop? Maybe it was the sound change, maybe it was wasn't received the right way, or maybe it was I'm getting money over here? Was there any time at that at all?
Speaker 9: For me?
Speaker 19: No, because I'm getting money over here has nothing to do with love and hip hop. I don't make rap you music and do hip hop culture and rock the bells and all this to make money, just survive.
Speaker 23: Well, I will say that, you know, there's times if you're creative and your passion turns into your livelihood, that sometimes you might have to leave it for a second. I mean there's definitely been moments where, like you know, like he and I have put since ninety three, probably somewhere between one hundred and fifty to two hundred shows a year, you know what I mean, from ninety three up until like when we start fouing two thousand and nine, Like our lives was on a tour bus, and you know, the grass is always green on the other side, and so ding the Tonight show allowed us, especially to see what other magical powers we had, like I didn't know, like, oh, I could write books. And both of us are professors at NYU. You know, he wrote a play, I did a movie and all those other things.
Speaker 19: So a small team man, not more than sparts, just curious, like we're creat I think all of us are creatives.
Speaker 23: And that's the thing, Like we're creatives that are discovering that sometimes our talent is transferable to other mediums. In avenue, like Tarik, he's a better cook. That's how I'll put him.
Speaker 2: Against any three micheline star chef or black grandmother.
Speaker 1: Or whatever about to have my now for real? Like he's the Kings Gordon Ramsey, you wanted to smoke? Now he's getting up before m You don't.
Speaker 22: Think I cared. I catered for the roofs other night. Yeah, I brought a bunch of grubs to it up to rock the bell. So you I mean, you're go ahead and tell him what I brought.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 23: Yes, everything from crab legs to lobster, to Colin Greens to like his cookie, But that's what I'm saying, like.
Speaker 1: His c check all the box you left the ChIL Yeah, yeah, I love the chillings on the grill. Be a moment in your careers where y'all questioning things though, you know, yeah, definitely there have been many moments, uh, and we're I've questioned you know, myself and where we've questioned ourselves, you know what I mean as a collective.
Speaker 22: And you know, in those moments of pause, that's when you're able to answer the call. And I think you know, you just get those bursts of clarity. And it's been a blessing that we've been able to reinvent ourselves, you know, because yeah, you know, I just like I was saying, I would be making music. I would be writing songs and you know, creating art whether I was able to you know, support myself and my family off it or not. So it's a blessing, like you know, I mean, the plus is that I'm also able to make a career out of it, you know what I'm saying. But yeah, there's been times that I've questioned, you know, like what the next chapter will look like or what the next you know, sort of act like three of my career, you know, am I gonna be able to swing another?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 22: Reinvention is those moments when you sort of listen to the universe and you go with your heart and and things become more clear.
Speaker 19: I mean, yeah, listen, man, It's always gonna be a time of life where you have doubts and you have concerns, and you have insecurities, and you feel like uncomfortable or discomfortable about certain things. But like like Tarik said, you know, answering that call and following your intuition, following that small voice inside of.
Speaker 1: You and go for it.
Speaker 19: You know, you can't be fearful in life. You can't be scary and you the person that has to be able to you have to be able to trust the most is yourself. And you have to be able to trust yourself in moments when you are susceptible to fear and weakness, and you just have to find that strength and keep moving through.
Speaker 2: You have times had been challenged and you throw shots, whether it's Mo d back and Day Cannabus or people even say, oh, have you ever ran into the people that you've ever had into a lyrical sparring? And is it all jokes and fun now or is it still like standolphish?
Speaker 19: Ain't no standoffish man, that's a spot. Okay, there's no time.
Speaker 1: I mean some dudes. Look, everybody's different, man. Some people, you know, it really bothers them, Like you know some people like post Jack the Ripper, right or post how you like me?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 19: Like were you and d Ever in the room together at any of that those periods, like yeah, I walked out on stage of this concert before, like I'm crazy waiting what there was no there was no social media? Man, Yeah, we see each other.
Speaker 15: We laugh.
Speaker 1: When you walked out. What happened? Nothing that's ridiculous. L kind of pioneered the rap.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, yeah, you know, but then with cannabis. You know what I mean, have y'all left y'all spoken?
Speaker 1: Brought him out at Barclays when I perform. Remember that's right. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You know, I see and I see, we see pictures.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, we got the you know we're doing we got things we're doing now together. You know what about you and what was what was you in hohod? But I never understood that one either. That felt like just ego. I really, I honestly couldn't tell you, bro, I have no idea. All I know is it's all love. You know what I'm saying, Like you know, it's we Gucci like for real, like you know, you know listen, man, does a conversation make things straight or just over time? It just you realize it wasn't really about nothing.
Speaker 2: They said at the time that you didn't like him as president or death ya, and that's they said. It came from.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 21: Next question, y'all in the old street stuff and the stuff like streets, yea. Next question, I tell you like this, I tell you like this, man, You know, at the end of the day, I got love for everybody.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I just want to do great things.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 19: As a matter of fact, I think there's a part in the show where I actually get into this stuff a little bit with a freestyle.
Speaker 1: So you know, people should just come to the show and check it out. And he how I address it, I will keep a lock.
Speaker 2: We got more with Lell and the Roots.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club the Morning about music and how do y'all feel about it? We all celebrating fifty years of hip hop. About icons that haven't gotten paid, like icons that really paved the way, laid this foundation, but they haven't gotten paid the way they feel like they should.
Speaker 23: You know, that's the that's the million dollar question in music industry because it happens with blues artists, is happening with my dad's generation.
Speaker 19: And you know, look, I started Rock the Bells as a company, right, so I gave DJ coolherk equity run. DMC has equity and Rock the Bell's ownership. Rock Sanne Chante has ownership, Big Daddy Kane has ownership, Salt and Pepper has ownership.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Eminem actually invested he wrote a check. He has some.
Speaker 19: Ernie Panacolea the photographer hip hop photographer, has ownership. I gave quite a few different people fab five Freddy as ownership. And because we've created such a high evaluation with Rock the Bells and what that's become, that equity is going to mean something for them in their states. So why did I answer like that? Because my thing is this, you don't get better, you get better. And instead of like when I felt like, oh, I don't feel like they play my music enough, I got my own channel right. But then I decided, you know what, it's not about me though, It's about the culture. So I'm gonna play. I'm not gonna be a pig. I'm a flipp it. I'm gonna make sure that I take care of everybody. So with Rock the Bells, that question is being answered through action. You feel what I'm saying. So that's how you deal with that, You know what I mean, Charlaman, That's how you deal with it. You don't deal with it by complaining and pulling out the world's smallest violin and just talking about how sad it is that it happened again.
Speaker 1: You do something about it. You know what I mean.
Speaker 23: And there are some things that have happened as well that well you'll know about later, like union or something you'll hear about it later.
Speaker 2: Now, what was your what was your most favorite hip hop moment?
Speaker 5: For me?
Speaker 1: You know, I mean there's been very many of them.
Speaker 22: A standout moment for me, like when I felt like I had arrived as an MC was many years ago?
Speaker 1: Was it ninety six? A great damn hip Hop? Ninety eight? When was that ninety post magazine show?
Speaker 23: Oh, double excel looten. It was the day we mastered things for all apart. It's like September twenty eight, nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 22: So yeah, like in ninety eight, when you know everybody, they got all of hip hop essentially together, or at least you know, people who represented every genre, you know, every region.
Speaker 1: We all got together in Harlem and took a photo. Oh yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 22: I was based on the image that Goring Parks took, uh, you know years ago. That was a great day in jazz where you know, all the jazz musicians took the same photo on these uh in front of these brownstones and Harlem.
Speaker 1: And I had to step out right before this photo was taken.
Speaker 22: I had to step out to like one like use the bathroom soon and I left and when I came back there was ready to take the picture. So I'm like, you know, excuse me, like ushering my way back through the crowd because I think what they had the roots was way in the nosebleeds of this image and that you know, making my way back up to the top, I bumped in a rock camp, you know, when it was my first time meeting him in person. And when he looked at he had like a hoodie on. You know, I ain't know who I bumped into. When I looked at dude, it was like a druid or somebody. And he lift his head up, pulled the hoodie back. He was like, oh you and he was he was like more excited to meet me. And I was like, yo, like I must be that dude like yeah, you know, like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And uh yeah, that was That was a huge moment for me.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 22: I went back up there and you know, I took I took the pic, and uh that think things have never been the same for me.
Speaker 19: I think the biggest moment in hip hop for me in my entire career. The moment that like really it was they called me bigen yo want to I want to see that and that was a moment talk about I mean that big elle moment.
Speaker 1: Listen, I want to talk.
Speaker 22: I want to talk about just how fun it is, you know for me as an artist, as someone you know who came up just quoting all these lyrics to what you know, to have a chance to support my heroes, you know what I mean. It's always a full circle moment for me when I get up there and I get to sort of play the support and role to an l L or a cane or cam or you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yea is huge for me.
Speaker 19: It's not you know what's impressive though, What suppressive is you know everybody's catalog have you have? You have a photographic memory and you sound great and you know it's like it comes natural. So it's like you're a pro, you know what I mean. So you know, and you got a why mic is still can stay out the way. So that's some rips, like you know, you know, everybody don't know how to do that, Like I'm used to that, you know what I mean. So it's like those kinds of things like, I mean, look, I love working with them. I love the what we're doing.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 19: I think that when people come and see this tour and see how we're doing it, the guests we bring in and out depending on what city where Queen Latife or a method man of Red Man or Juvenile or even Iced Tea. He got some dates on the tour. He's gonna be out there with me on stage. I mean, so many different acts that will be on the stage. I think people are going to be blown away.
Speaker 1: How stressful was putting together the fiftieth anniversary tribute for the Grammys, Because I know.
Speaker 23: You, Ques, I put it this way to the artists dropped out in our before taping. And the thing is is that it's so tightly choreographed that you're not just dealing with like we make it look easy, like okay, that I is not here right now, so let's just skip his part.
Speaker 1: No, because the show is live.
Speaker 23: So this means that now I personally have to run to the light people to tell them, Yo, the seven minute and thirteen second portion untill eight twenty three is out. While they're doing the show live doing commercial breaks, they have to now edit. Then you have to run to the dancers and tell them, hey, guys, bad news, blah blah blah blah blah's not here anymore. So and they're all like dejected, like I hadn't It was the most magiver thing I ever did in my life, where and it still came off like I wasn't even aware that lul Uzivert had got my text for him to come on stage to do that. So I'm thinking, I don't know if you remember Purple Range when like Prince stormed off stage after Prople Rain because he thought like he like I was about to have a panic attack, like it's over, It's over, and all the roots are celebrating.
Speaker 1: I'm like, wait, what do you war? And they're looking on Twitter like you see this, and I was like, wait, was he was on stage?
Speaker 23: Only because only because where I was positioned, I couldn't see my like couldn't see if he actually like.
Speaker 22: Literally I will say, yeah, the way the stage of the Grammys this year was set up, it was two complete different stages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so like half this band was, you know, essentially in a different room. So it came off.
Speaker 23: But just as the person who was the traffic cop making up for you know, okay, we gotta skip this on that or whatever.
Speaker 2: Like it was a difficult one.
Speaker 19: It was a hell Mary throw and then you know you can called it. You gotta talk to people. You know, some people you have to like rub lavender synth under they know was another dude.
Speaker 1: Goddamn, he needs a black couple of black coffee.
Speaker 19: This one over here, you gotta put your thumb right on his trap right if you talk to him. This one you gotta pay. You gotta snap your fingers. He's okay, okay, you know what I mean. So it's like, you know, somebody is distracted, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I feel like an impossible show to do, though, because you're going to miss people, and people are gonna get recommended me.
Speaker 23: Well, now I don't recommend it. I just recommend that you you make sure that you know what you're getting too. Because back in November I was like, oh yeah, I want to do this, and then by January I was like, I see what y'all did.
Speaker 1: Now, y'all good guy, not nice guy?
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 19: We knew in advance we couldn't have everybody. It'd be ten thousand people. We can't do ten thousand songs in a row.
Speaker 23: Yeah, my first draft was like twenty eight minutes because I included everybody, you know what I mean? So you know it was supposed to be eleven minutes, and we fought hard for those thirteen minutes.
Speaker 19: Like we just and you got to remember how many millions of dollars those minutes costs. Right, you know what I'm saying, question, we're doing right by a culture, and that's the thing. Quest Look did a massive job orchestrating it, kind of moving these pieces around.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like you gotta have you know, you do the best you can.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 19: We knew we couldn't please everybody, you know, he did, he did, He went, He did everything within his power to make sure that everybody was represented on some level, everybody from Chuck D to Blow Riller and little.
Speaker 1: Baby I will keep a lock.
Speaker 2: We got more with the roots.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club, Good Morning.
Speaker 2: And everybody is DJ Envy Charlamagne, the god we are. The Breakfast Club was still kicking it with LL cool J in the Roots, Charlamagne.
Speaker 1: How do y'all feel about lists? Because Billboard had y'all ranked number ten group of all time. Really yeah, ll had you ranked number fourteen of the top rappers ever and you coined the term goat, But for some reason your name doesn't always get put in those goat conversations? How did that?
Speaker 19: Because he's too good? People can never look at well, you know, you know, I guess I just got to do something about it. You know, I guess that just means I got some work to do, you know what I mean. I guess that's what it means. I mean, I could sit here and come up with a thousand different excuses, but at the end of the day, I guess my job is to change that narrative.
Speaker 1: So yeah, to be continued for me, man Like, I'm not you know, I'm fine.
Speaker 22: Like whoever, when I do fall like on those lists, it's always, you know, just an honor to be held in the company that I'm held in.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. It's never any other artists on them list that I don't feel, you know, deserve it. But you know where you rank.
Speaker 22: I think that you know, it's relative, and I think that you know it varies from person to person, different folks opinions. Yeah, I know, I'm I'm a force to be reckoning with. I know everybody know that, so I'm fine with it, you know.
Speaker 19: Yeah, And you know the other thing I would add is that I think this is an overused term, but in my cases, I'm different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying the fact I really am.
Speaker 19: So it's like if they don't understand, like how much I changed the world, if you wasn't there, you just don't understand that. Like you have to remember that just with death Jam alone. Name the artists that will signed the death gam over time.
Speaker 1: Name five.
Speaker 19: So let's stop right there, right. So, I'm the first artist on death Jam. It was a production company, Tela Rock. I'm the first artist. I put the label on my back and I got us the distribution deal with my album. What are we talking about? What are we really talking about it?
Speaker 1: Like, so that's putting the work into really be a pillow.
Speaker 2: I gotta ask Mount Rushmore of hip hop to y'all, who would be the four faces on that?
Speaker 1: Not even personally? You can't be personal. And we're telling me those people that put hisself on I mean you, I'm just saying, like your personal favorites, like in the future when we're not here and somebody looking like, who are those people? They call me big man? All right, So my as as as a music.
Speaker 23: Lover DJ and a producer, my mount Rushmore of albums would probably be Nation of Millions, three ft I and Rising, and then the thirty six and probably lastly I might say Midnight Marauders. Like those four records sort of informed me to go deep into the culture and actually to get my own career.
Speaker 1: So look, man, I just keep it, keep it simple to me.
Speaker 19: When you talk about like a real rush More and you talk about the shaping of the culture, you have to look at its first principles. You know, it's like anything else, you break it down the first principles, right, you know, you gotta put DJ cool Hirk. He ain't on Rushmore. I just he just started it. No big deal, no big deal. This is something I did, Okay. And then you have to put run DMC up up there because they kicked down the doors and the walls, and you know, put me on there back to a certain stand as well. And I was the solo guy who went out there, got shot out of that cannon. And then you have to put Flash and mail Flash because he made us dream of the culture, the DJ, the art of the DJ, the idea that a DJ could affect culture and move culture.
Speaker 1: Flash made us do that.
Speaker 19: And then you gotta say mal because he was the first original prolific writer. Like those are the core, you know what I'm saying. You have a couple of others, but like that core, right there is the real core. Anything after that fan based this. You know, it's based on oh he made money or oh he had a lot of platinum albums. Oh he got people to change their shirts. Oh yo that he got you know, all of that is cool, but DJ cool, Hirk Run, DMC, Grandmaster, Flash and Mail.
Speaker 1: You removed that and like what you got?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: For me, I think it boils down to, uh, just who had the most impact, you know, upon my craft. So I get props to you know, the the L's and you know the BC Boys and the Chuck D's and even running them even though they weren't depth jam artists, but that whole first wave of depth jam artists were the first people that I heard had that rush roster. They had that powerful cadence that was just different from with mel and Curtis Blow and everybody was doing you know what I'm saying, run DMC. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 22: They came out like wolves going on here el cool, then chuck d you know what I mean, yelling. There was the yelling, so it was you know, that was like wow, like they had arrived. They you know, changed the way I wrote. You know what I'm saying. After I was exposed to that, did you ever write for.
Speaker 2: You, collabor collaborate on You can still tap this joke me, you can still tape?
Speaker 1: No no, no, no no, Now. We never did any music together. I saw this on the internet. Somebody said around that time, Cube was helping you. You know what, people have this.
Speaker 19: You know, you know people, they got a lot of stories, bro, They come up with a lot of stories, you know what I mean. Hey, Hey, hey, Michael Jordan, did uh somebody ever bounced the ball for you and shoot your jump shot for you? Like, no, I shot the jump shot.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 19: I'm not above collaborating on a chorus or working on something like I'm not I'm not picky like that. If I was writing a rhyme and somebody said, YO said a word, I'd be like, all right, I like that word.
Speaker 1: I'm cool with that. But you know, I write my songs. You know what I'm saying. I have to because it has to come from me.
Speaker 19: And if you collaborate too much on at least from LL cool J fans, If I collaborated too much with somebody on writing, it would affect what they're listening to. It wouldn't sound like me, you know what I mean, because they are very unique things to LL cool J. So I'll give you I'll give you an example. So I tried to do a more collaborative writing album. I did a whole album with fifty Cents and we were writing together on this album. And when it was done, I listened to it. I'm like, it sounds good. I like the music, the rhymes, it sounds.
Speaker 1: Cool, but it ain't me.
Speaker 19: So I didn't put it out. It wasn't nothing against fifty. I love fifty. I just wanted to try something different. Maybe we collaborate right together. It didn't work. I think you think Paradise was this O no, no, no, no. Paradise is totally different. Fifty wrote the chorus on Paradise for a Marie what she sung. He didn't write my rhymes, you know what I mean? Like people get that a little you know what I'm saying. That being said when that happened, I didn't even know fifty was involved. That was the track masters. They got that done right and they played it with the chorus.
Speaker 1: I liked it, etc. You know, we tried to work together and that's my man. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 19: We real cool, But the collaborative thing when it comes to my verses, that doesn't work for me.
Speaker 1: And you know, I'm kind of like, it's funny when you do this a long time.
Speaker 19: The longer you do this, the more people does he still got can he still do it? Is he gonna be able to do it? It kind of reminds me of the Crawfit fight the other night. There were a lot of people who like were really like nervous for Crawfit, right, Yeah, it was a lot of people that were nervous for Crawfit when he was walking in the ring and he showed what it is. And I think with me, for whatever reason, people are never quite sure if how it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: But do you like being underestimated? I love it, I actually love it. I'm good with that.
Speaker 19: I'm good with that because that, you know, that only makes the jab that much stiffer than we appreciate.
Speaker 1: Make sure we get the tickets for the tour. How can they get tickets if they need to go to I mean, just.
Speaker 19: Go to ticketmaster dot com and check it out. The fourth Tour a lot Cool Jay and the Roots and oh one other thing.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you.
Speaker 19: This show is not like the music stops, then another artist comes on and the music starts in another out of.
Speaker 1: Before. Yeah, don't show up. This is one long what is it two three hours? Yes, it's one long mixtape. It's a mixtape, I means. And that's how fortune another day, all right, So get there, you know, get there on time. I'll be trying to make a grand entrance in feet hurting and all that. Just get in on time. Let's have some fun. If you head sprung. The first song that comes, they called me Big Cool J. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 24: Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same.
Speaker 1: With audio titles on business, fitness, motivation, and more, Audible keeps your imagination pumped and ready to hit new goals. Check out all the audiobooks, podcasts, and originals you could want, and sign up for thirty days free at audible dot com slash Breakfast Club. Make sure you're telling them to watch out for Florida Milor. The craziest people in America come from the Bronx and all of Florida. Yes, you are a donkey.
Speaker 18: The Florida man attacked an ATM for a very strange reason.
Speaker 2: It gave him too much money.
Speaker 3: Florida man is.
Speaker 18: Arrested after defining saying he riggs the door to his home in an attempt to electro hit his pregnant rights.
Speaker 3: Police are I said at Orlando man.
Speaker 1: For talking about from me that the breakfast club bitch you Donkey of the day with Charlam Hayne to Gud. I don't know why y'all keep letting him get y'all like this. Before we do Donkey today, I want to tell y'all too that first of all, dropping the clues box to lug in the roots right absolutely out. That interview will be up on YouTube and it's how long is it? Iur in thirty hour and thirty minutes. So yeah, great conversation. Yes, Donkey Today for Wednesday August nine goes to Derek Porter. Now Derek is a Georgia man, but this incident happened in Panama City Beach, Florida. So it's clearly something in the water in Florida. You spend too much time there, you get hit with that Florida fool gene. Now what does you uncle y'all always say about the great state of Florida. They're craziest people in America come from the Bronx and all of Florida, and today is no exception. Okay, Derek Porter, you are a Florida man today. Now let me start with the headline courtesy of news Channel eight Florida, because I love the headlines when they come from Florida. Okay, when it's Florida foolishness, all the headlines be amazing. Okay, first off, the headline reads Florida. Then it says man breaks into Florida church, baptizes himself before stealing money. Let's go to news Channel eight for the report.
Speaker 14: Police mid morning man not ended today with a Georgia man in custody bake on his Sheriff's deputies arrested Derek Porter on burglary, criminal.
Speaker 1: Misshif and several drug charges.
Speaker 14: They say that Porter broke into the Emerald Beach Church of God on alf Coleman and Panama City Beach this morning. He allegedly used a cinder block to smash a window, which alerted to the church employee, who fled.
Speaker 1: Authority say that Porter.
Speaker 14: Called about eight thousand dollars in damage, took some electronic equipment and the church money bag. Depanese, Panama City Beach police and canine units descended on the church and arrested Porter. They say he had meth and paraphernalia. Porter supposedly claimed that he could not remember what happened inside of the church, at least not most of it, but he did say he remembered baptizing himself in the church's baptism pool, and he claimed something was holding his head under the water. Porter was already free on bond for a burglary in Georgia.
Speaker 1: There's so much wrong with this. First of all, using to send the block to break the church's windows, to break into the church. Now, I know, Scripture says that God does not live in houses made by human hands, so I'm not gonna say the church is God's house, but it is a place of positivity for the most part, a place with people congregate in worship, a place where people go to seek forgiveness and salvation. To break the church's windows may not send you to hell, but damn it, it's shure not creating positive energy in your life either. This sounds like this brother watched First Sunday with Ice Cuban Tracy Morgan one too many times. All Right, the church is the place where you go to learn about the most forgiving entity ever God. Okay, keyword is for giving, all right. In Derek's mind, he looked at the church to be responsible for giving him money. All right, Listen, we know every church collects tides and offerings and of course the building fund that don't really be building anything. But never did we ever think to rob the church? Have we ever thought about taking back our twenty dollars you know what I'm saying that we put in the collect you know, putting in a five or a couple ones instead. Yes, Okay, every Sunday we think about that when you're given your offering. But you really pushing God's forgiveness when you take the criminal actions in the church. Now, let's keep in mind that police said they found meth and drug paraphernilia on Derek, so he was probably high out of his mind. And when he tells police that he could not remember what happened during various moments inside the church, it's because he was high, all right. But he does remember baptizing himself in the church's baptistory pool. It's safe to say he was high out of his mind if that's what he thinks. Okay, see Porter claims something was holding his head down under the water while letting the pool. Derek, let me be the first to tell you that you were experiencing a meth induced psychosis, all right, hallucination. You weren't being baptized. You were swimming, all right. You took a lap or two in the church's pool. Now, can you baptize yourself? Sure?
Speaker 19: All right.
Speaker 1: It's not the pattern laid out in the Bible, nor is that the recommended method of being baptized. However, if you truly understand the purpose of water baptism that is revealed the Word of God, Okay, you can do it, all right. And if you have no one who was able to baptize you at the time, then of course you might do it yourself. But don't listen to me, okay, because there's not a Jakes or robertson my name. So I could be totally wrong, but I don't think breaking into a church being high off meth is the right environment are setting for a baptism? Now, let me tell you something else. Let me tell you where else this man went wrong and why he's truly getting donkey here to day to day. You're broken to the church. Okay, send the block to the window. Bang. You cost eight thousand dollars worth of damage to the church. Then you stole all the electronics, TV's computers, and the church's money bag. That's why you're being charged with burglary of an occupied destructure. Now here's the thing. Your order was off, my brother. Okay, you're broken to the church and baptized yourself first and then committed all these sins. If you was gonna do it, you should have broken to the church, stole what you wanted to steal, and saved the baptism for last, because the whole point of baptism is to wash your where your sins. Correct. What you did is the equivalent of taking a shower and then doing a number two. Okay, you are a different type of human, basically a psychopath. If you shower, then do a number two on purpose. Okay, I understand sometimes you know happens, all right, but nobody purposely takes a shower and then does the number two, just like nobody walks into a church, gets baptized and then sins on purpose. You might sin after you get baptized, but not on purpose, like you have to pick one there, all right, if you're gonna break into a church and still you have to get baptized at a later date, but you're damn showing on baptize yourself first and then sin. Please give Derek Porter the sweet signs of the Hamilton's.
Speaker 13: Oh no, you are the doggy of the day, the dogee all the day.
Speaker 9: Ye.
Speaker 1: Now, I can't prove any of this, but but I feel like ej Envy showers and then takes the number two on purpose. What do you think, Ashley?
Speaker 2: Is that what you're thinking about?
Speaker 1: Why is the way you looked when I said it?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 1: Yes, when I said it, you looked like.
Speaker 3: He was unfazed.
Speaker 1: What's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: No, that's not not true at all. But the way you just asked that question, it seems like on won't you just answer the question, what if I poop my shower.
Speaker 1: Do you shower and then poop on purpose?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, just you are a liar and a liar that's not true.
Speaker 2: Okay when I poop my shower, all right, I'm not judging. Why are you all on my butt? Not not, nor do I want to be? And why you're asking? B E T will see you guys tomorrow piece b T all right, everybody else, let's open up the phone lines eight hundred five eight five one oh five. When this conversation comes from yo gotta now. He was doing an interview out in l a h. And he was as he was doing an interview, his phone rang and it was his girl, and he answered it, we don't have the audio. Great, correct, What a well oiled machine this is. So we're asking eight hundred five eight five one oh five one, ladies, do you feel all men should have to have this kind of energy to make sure no matter when you call the answer, to make sure that you're a priority. That is the question. Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. If you ever hear my phone ring during the interview, my phone is always on vibrate, but it only rings for my wife. My ring, my wife is on ring just in case there's a problem. It's an issue, there's a situation, something's wrong with one of the kids, or there's a problem. She can get through the vibration of the phone.
Speaker 1: So that is the question.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. How do you feel about asking?
Speaker 3: Absolutely as a product of somebody who's married to someone who well, I was friends with for ten years. Absolutely, when when I feel like I need to reach you, you can drop everything you're doing so I can reach you. And I think that's what God he did with Angel Simmons because he had been trying to get her like bag her for a while. Right, So you ain't gonna let go of all that work.
Speaker 2: You put in, all right, So that is the question. Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. Ladies, do you feel all men should have this kind of energy to make your a priority no matter what is going on in your life. Let's discuss. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: It's topic time.
Speaker 24: Call eight hundred five five one to join into the discussion with the breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Morning everybody.
Speaker 2: It's DJ n V Charlamagne de God. We are the Breakfast Club. We got our special guest hosts Ashley with to ease joining us.
Speaker 3: What's going down now?
Speaker 2: If you're just joining us, we're talking about Yo Gotti. He was doing an interview out in la and while he was doing the interview, his girl called and he stopped the interview to answer, let's let's take a listen.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's.
Speaker 6: You want to take that for like, yeah, go ahead, sure, yeah? What uh, I'm doing the interview right now. Okay, all right?
Speaker 1: It was shorty. So we're asking who I'm not sure I want to just incredible, it's just incredible.
Speaker 2: So we're asking eight hundred and five eight five one oh five one, ladies, do you feel all men should have this kind of energy to make sure that you're a priority regardless of what's going on. That is the question I told y'all, Like, my phone is on vibe, but if you ever hear it ring during the interview, it's because it's my wife. She's the only one that could break that vibration of the phone. And I do that just in case when I'm over sleeping, if I'm out of town, or it's a problem with the kids, or she needs to get in touch with me. I make sure that she is a priority.
Speaker 1: Now what about you asking I said the same thing.
Speaker 3: I said, I should be your priority like any woman, especially now if gott he chased Angel Simmons for how long? You chase that chase for that long? You better be like on deck at all times?
Speaker 1: What I need you?
Speaker 21: Now?
Speaker 3: Do I think he could have just text her? Yeah, but who knows, you know her temper.
Speaker 1: I ain't gonna speak on Manchuleman one hundred percent. You know what I'm saying. When your wife calls, you got to pick up the phone. But I would give a little pro tip to the brothers. If you're about to do something like you know, if you you know, in Gody's case, he was about to do it of you, you gotta let your wife know what you're about to do. You know what I'm saying. I mean, that's that's how I get down. I'm like, Yo, I'm about to go to such and such. I'm gonna be at such and such, so she knows I'm doing something. So therefore, if she does call me, I know it's an emergency. I know it's something like she not she knows I'm doing something For her to be calling me that means that it's like an emergency. Now if in that case, God, he probably forgot to tell Angela what he was gonna be at, and so she was calling, so he decided to pick up to let her know, Hey, man, I'm doing an interview. I ain't on no bs R. You know because because r R, if you don't answer, she might just get concerned and get worried because she's like, damn he answered for me any other time. Why you're not answering that? So if you, if you, if you haven't let your wife know where you're gonna be at, uh, definitely pick up that phone.
Speaker 2: Hello, who's this? Oh shit, good morning to talk to us. What's your what's your thoughts?
Speaker 19: Uh?
Speaker 11: It's truth?
Speaker 1: Ye broke anything?
Speaker 7: You yes, because you can be in a conference. Let's ask you to a conference.
Speaker 12: You cannot answer the call.
Speaker 1: That's not a Black people are amazed. Black people are amazing because she going just sit there and act like she couldn't understand anything that we just said and just kept talking like it was like it was no, we are really and amazing people.
Speaker 2: Hello, what's your name? Mama?
Speaker 12: To us, I was saying that they should have to pick up the phone. I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's like two minutes. I'm sure. I think two people in a relationship, they no constitutes as an emergency. That's when I was talking about this yesterday, and it seemed kind of coincidental that I should call during the interview, as if she doesn't know his schedule, like it's a little.
Speaker 1: Pr well, she might not have known if he didn't tell her. You know what I'm saying, like, like that's what I was saying earlier, like you got to tell your wife I'm about to do X, Y and Z. That's why if my wife knows I'm doing something and she still calls me, that lets me know that it's a serious situation.
Speaker 2: Right, Or he's you know, obviously he's promoting his new mixtape that's out right now, so he's on the road, so he might be he's on the West coast. She might be on the East coast, so that time.
Speaker 1: Might be a little different, so she might not know. Hello, who's this?
Speaker 2: Hey marshaw?
Speaker 1: Hey, you got the top down? Convertible down? Is something? The windows open?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 1: Can you tell you why you're breathing so hard?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 1: What's your thoughts. Should the man Should your man pick up every time you call?
Speaker 17: Of course, I mean, yeah, that's what I'm calling for this Paul.
Speaker 11: But I feel like if you're busy, if he's busy, then just hit me back up because you see me calling, so you know it's important.
Speaker 14: True.
Speaker 1: But if I tell you where I'm at, you know what I'm saying. I'm trying to avoid you interrupting me while I'm doing something.
Speaker 2: Five eight five, one oh five one. If you're just joining us, we're talking about yo got He was doing an interview with La Leaks out in La in an interview. This girl called and he stopped the interview, or in the middle of the interview he entered the phone and make sure everything was all right. Ladies, do you feel all mentioned have this kind of energy, whether you're married or dating, and do you feel like you should be a priority regardless, let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Good morning, it's topic time.
Speaker 15: The phone.
Speaker 1: Called eight hundred and five to join into the discussion with the Breakfast Club talking about it, howning everybody.
Speaker 2: It's DJ NV Charlamagne the gud We are the Breakfast Club. We got our special guest hosts Ashley with to ease. What's happening now if he's just joining us, we're talking about Yo Gotti. Now, he was doing an interview out in LA with the La Leakers, and his girl called and he answered during an interview, I feel like it's.
Speaker 1: You want to take that for like, yeah, go ahead this, Yeah, what up?
Speaker 6: I'm doing an interview right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I'm telling you it was sure. The only reason God he answered that phone is because he didn't tell her where he was going to be at prior. I'm telling you that's what that was for.
Speaker 3: He didn't answer what she would have got suspicious.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was been suspicious, but maybe just worried or concern, you know. I mean a lot of times people think, you know, you're not you you're answering the phone because you're trying to prove that you're not doing anything. But no, that's just a worry, your concern. Like I know, if I call my wife and she don't pick up, I immediately think something's wrong, right, you know what I mean, I don't got nothing to do with you know, infidelity, But.
Speaker 2: You know, even even my peoples, if they can't get in touch with me for whatever reason, They'll call my wife to call me because they know even if my phone's on vibrate, the phone will ring.
Speaker 1: So if I'm out of town and I got to get up. What you say vibrate? Man, I just wanted to tell you that since you've been saying vibrate since we've been here, I don't like the way you say it. So what do you call it? I don't know. It just sounds crazy when it comes out of your mouth.
Speaker 2: Vibrate.
Speaker 1: I just don't like the way you say it. But continue. That's is a personal thing. You know what, I'm gonna going to the phone. Lin said, I don't want to talk to you no more, but you kinky, you.
Speaker 2: Really can't do it. Vibrate in my mouth. That's the last thing you said.
Speaker 1: You are ut Hello say that. Nobody heard that.
Speaker 2: They keep from Jersey. Now we're talking about Yo Gotti. What's your thoughts about him manswering the phone during the interview. Do you want to you want that type of priority?
Speaker 15: Yes?
Speaker 25: Absolutely, who's not saying But the thing about it, I want to like that on his own. I don't want to have to have a conversation about it, like you no like that about me? That's what you say?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but you know what also too, we're speaking from the perspective of being married. Everybody in this room is married, right, actually married.
Speaker 2: I'm married, and but god he's not.
Speaker 1: That's his girl. That is just this girl. You're right for now, but you know you don't know how seriously right?
Speaker 2: But I mean it's a girl. It's still in a relationship. That's what you want if you care about somebody and you're serious about somebody, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yes, Hello, who's this, darl what's up? What's your thoughts?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Me and my wife we video chat all day.
Speaker 1: I don't believe you, Darrel. I don't even think you have a phone with video check capability. But not like you got your little flip phone. You got you a little philipping.
Speaker 11: When we were pay when we were dying, the video checks and we never never turn it off.
Speaker 7: We married one on fourteen years.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 1: How old are y'all.
Speaker 11: Sixty?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, y'all old? Geez all right, So why do y'all video chat? Why are y'all so? Why are y'all away from each other so much? As y'all be having a video check at work.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I just I just put on video chat in the corner.
Speaker 1: She's sixty years old. She's still be sending you stuff. Let me talk to her. She gave you. What's up, queen?
Speaker 19: Hello?
Speaker 1: How are you? Queen? I'm fine? You still be sending him them a little nasty pictures? Jesus Christ.
Speaker 11: We live with you every night in the philip.
Speaker 1: The Philippines. How the hell y'all listening to in the Philippines?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 1: No, I said, hi people, how radio app works in the Philippines. Radio Philippines we worldwide every every night.
Speaker 17: Cloud.
Speaker 1: Uh that is okay. I did not know anything. Thank you for checking in in the Philippines. Appreciate it exactly. We love y'all, love you too.
Speaker 7: We appreciate your young people.
Speaker 1: Y'all right on point that young we're just younger than you.
Speaker 2: That's fine, that's fine, first of all.
Speaker 1: But I need some of this international money. What's up with this thing? Let's talk about that. Hello, who's this?
Speaker 11: Good morning?
Speaker 7: This Taqisa?
Speaker 2: Hey, Takeisha talk to us. What's your thoughts? Mama?
Speaker 15: Okay, So every man is not yo Gotti.
Speaker 12: Everybody's not going to answer their phone.
Speaker 11: But everybody's what they're doing, and that's okay.
Speaker 3: Are you offended if they text you back or they absolutely have to answer the phone.
Speaker 7: No, No, seriously, because I'm a different type of First, I just got to argue with my friends.
Speaker 15: I don't answer my phone.
Speaker 26: It's my phone.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't have to.
Speaker 1: I want to every time you get answer the phone.
Speaker 11: That's a piece of mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, not every time you can answer the phone, because sometimes I can't answer the phone and I'll text, hey baby, I'm in an interview. I'll call you right back and everything good. So yes, I can't answer the phone every single time, but it's just that the priority to make sure you're checking in and everything is okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's cool too, but it's not.
Speaker 25: There's no reason to.
Speaker 11: I just didn't understand the.
Speaker 7: Big praise about it.
Speaker 12: Okay, answer, that's nice, that's good.
Speaker 15: Not everybody knows, honey, and not everybody got Angelo calling us.
Speaker 1: So I don't think you got nothing to do with who the person.
Speaker 7: I knew you was gonna say something.
Speaker 11: I'm not talking about who the person is.
Speaker 12: I'm talking about the fact of how she responded.
Speaker 11: Not everybody's gonna respond the same way that he do.
Speaker 1: I just that's what I mean.
Speaker 8: You don't have call.
Speaker 1: I just think common courtesy. You know, when you're in a relationship, whether you're married or just in a relationship, if y'all serious, you let your significant other know where you're going. You let them know where you're going to be and what you're going to be doing, you know what I mean. So therefore, if they do call me, they I know it's something, it's some type of an emergency because they wouldn't be calling me because I just told them I'm doing something, you know.
Speaker 15: True.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he forgot the other. He didn't tell her. Clearly, you didn't let her know he was doing.
Speaker 2: Something, Thank you, mama. What's what's the moral of the story if there's more?
Speaker 1: The more of the stories is just a respect thing, like guess that's all. Like, if you respect your significant other, that's easy. Like and and by the way, I think you should answer the phone for your significant other anytime, you know whatever. If my my wife called me, I stop what I do and pick up the phone, because that's that's what I want for her to do. You know.
Speaker 2: All right, Well we got rooms on the way.
Speaker 3: But we're talking about Yes, we're talking about the twenty twenty three VMA's nominations came out. They broke a lot of records and then also see her and Russell Wilson. They added another baby to the tribe coming soon.
Speaker 2: Really, we'll get to that next. It's the Breakfast Club. Come morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody's dj n V Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: We got our guest co hosts Ashley with to E. Good morning, and let's get to the rooms.
Speaker 15: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Asley you already know this.
Speaker 3: It's a full circle moment.
Speaker 1: For me on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Let me pop it up first. We got to start off saying congratulations to Sierra and Russell Wilson. They expect said that they're expecting their baby number three together is because it was theer's fourth, because she has the one baby future future. But they already have two three children together. Sorry when their daughter who's three, or yeah, when their son, their daughter Siena who's six, and then also see your son future nine together.
Speaker 1: Well, congrats congrats.
Speaker 15: To the.
Speaker 3: Also a lot of big records being broken at this year's twenty twenty three vm AS. The nominations are out now. Taylor Swift leads the pack with a eight nominations. Scizzle comes in second with six. You got Doja Cat and Nikki There follow up with five, and women are actually dominating the show because it's the first time ever that there are no men nominated for Artists of the Year that's introduced in twenty seventeen. You got Beyonce, Dojakat, Carol G, Nicki, Minaj, Shakira, and Taylor Swift are nominated. Some feel Sissle was sliding debatable, that's true, but the first last year, just it's a Artist of the Year, it doesn't matter, Yeah, if they came out, but this is the first time too. Artists in the category come from the Latin genre, which is Carol G and Shakira, and the first time they have an afrobeats category. So the twenty twenty three VMAs are going to be held on Tuesday, September twelfth, live from the Prudential Center in Newark. And also, while we're talking about nominations, I gotta shout out to y'all because y'all got awards for being recognized on Billboard's twenty twenty three Hip Hop and R and B Powers Players List. Congrats to y'all, Y'all's well as yee Fia Bosston then Doc Winner.
Speaker 1: Are also on there, and also to the MTV Awards. That is definitely a reflection of how the year has been because the year hasn't been dominated musically women women. Let the record show up. That was a category and it was all men. People would be raising healthy and there needs to be more diversity. I mean it is diverse, so I think you know penises, well, you know what, I don't know what they identify.
Speaker 2: Shut your ass out, you don't know, shut yours up. I think what what dude should be in that category.
Speaker 1: This year year? Probably Dark is probably the person that the line from me. Okay, I think Dirk has had a good year about Travis, but his album just It just came out. Zy Derek and Oz is just two that come to mind that could be an Artist of the Year.
Speaker 3: Is it too many times for Drake to be nominated?
Speaker 2: Drake could be nominated.
Speaker 3: I feel like every year is D's.
Speaker 2: To sold out to drop the album twenty one Savage came Savage Ye. Drake should be in the Drake should definitely right, that Drake should being there sold out shows yeah, right now right?
Speaker 3: Well, last, but not least on Twitter. Uh, it was trending us to that The Reason and td E co president got into a heated exchange publicly. So he was on the back on fig discussing his issues with td E. We have some audio.
Speaker 26: Agree you want to have a combo. Let's have a conbo. Man, it sounds like you don't want to be here.
Speaker 14: Damn near Nah.
Speaker 1: I never said that. I said I would never do it. No other way. Let's go viral. Since you want to do it, come on a.
Speaker 7: Real Can you name me ten Reason songs right now?
Speaker 1: You're from l A. You an l A native?
Speaker 26: Can you name me ten Reason songs right now?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Why is it? I have no.
Speaker 14: Matt you from the team.
Speaker 1: Can you name me? Can you name me two Reason songs? Of course? But what I'm trying to say is right, they've never.
Speaker 26: Wanted us to sign signed reason. He called him a substitute teacher.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 15: I don't.
Speaker 26: Talent, but it's gonna take more than just talent in this game right now, and everybody know that.
Speaker 3: So basically the backstory is reason felt like the label wasn't moving quick enough, and we've heard the story before with Scissa and TDE. He shared that he had the opportunity to get features from Lotto and EStG, but td E didn't handle business on their end, So he's claiming that td is limiting his success and progression as an artist by not letting him drop music. And he also mentioned that they had the budgets and they had the ideas, but nothing was executed.
Speaker 1: So most of our audience wants to know the reason we just played that because they have no idea who reason it is Red And I like reason. I like reading's music a lot. The reason I think I think you might be up here next week. Actually yeah, yeah, But I just know a lot of our listeners have no idea who the hell he is, So I mean it is I don't know whose fault that is. Yeah, I don't know if it's TDS or reasons. I don't think it's ever anybody's fault when an artist isn't heard. We have the Internet, you have all of these platforms. There's a million different ways to be heard. If the consumer isn't gravitating towards you, I don't like when people just blame the label, it just might not be your time yet. Just keep me in case.
Speaker 2: It might not be that song, it might not be that situation, might not.
Speaker 1: Be that project. That's right.
Speaker 3: But I'm assuming he's also frustrated because he's not getting feedback. They're just like, not, don't drop, don't drop. When Sissa was going on her Twitter ramp but she couldn't dropped, she said the same thing that they weren't telling her. Why they just said no, don't drop on drop.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason I would always listen to a label like TD is because when they finally do put an artist out and get behind the artist, artists usually ghost. Sissa, I mean, look at don't you. Don't you about to go right now? She's going, don't you You know what I mean? Things take time? That's all all right?
Speaker 2: All right, well that is your room or report. Now let's get into the People's choice mixed eight hundred five eighty five one five And of course the roots in LL stopped through early, so let's start the mix off for some ll uh. It's of course it's fifty years of hip hop this or what it calls him that, But big Ellie about to start. But nobody calls you uncle snacky.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's not true. That's true. Absolutely that name. Yes, the women from the Poor Minds podcast, Dre and lex Uh created that name for me.
Speaker 2: Need to get them glasses.
Speaker 1: I don't know why you're hating on it. Take stay snackers, you call them. You're just not in the art. You can't. You can't appreciate it. You can't appreciate art when you see it. Am Art. You hear me, look at me, look at me, king I am Art.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, all right, well yeah, okay, it's the Breakfast Tub.
Speaker 24: Come the Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same if you're hiring.
Speaker 1: You know it's hard to attract top town. Team up with the hiring partner who understands how tough it is and knows what you need. Zip Recruiter go to this exclusive web address to try zip recruiter for free. ZipRecruiter dot com slash Breakfast Morning, Everybody.
Speaker 2: It's DJ Envy Charlamagne the Guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We still got our special guest co hosts Ashley with to ease what's going down, and we appreciate you for joining us. How'd you enjoy your experience.
Speaker 3: I loved it. It was a little intimidated at first, but you know how because I told you, it's a full circle moment for me. I used to be the little bum board up back in the day.
Speaker 1: But you are people my knees, I know.
Speaker 3: Oh but when you sit, when you sit in this seat and the cameras are on and everybody's doing everything, it's a lot going on. But no, I appreciate it, y'all. Me and Envy we've only met like twice, you know, at the car shows, so this is the most we've ever talked or interacted on our.
Speaker 1: Damn, I don't I don't see that.
Speaker 3: Actually I know he ain't that Heuton, I ain't up in New York. So it's all good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, well, thank you for joining us. We appreciate thank got for having me.
Speaker 1: And Ashley is iHeart Mafia, you know what I'm saying. Ashley is already like you know, you do mid days on with fifty markets.
Speaker 3: I do mid days on one I do. I have a morning show in thirteen cities and I'm in thirty seven.
Speaker 1: I do nights. So and she's the national music director.
Speaker 3: Right, talk about it.
Speaker 1: So about it. Long story short, actually don't need.
Speaker 3: No job, you know, don't say that. Don't say that. Hey, hey, I want to listen, and don't listen to that. I can always take a few more stations, you know. But yeah, like I said that, we talked about my journey yesterday. Thanks y'all. Thanks to Charlie Maine for like my mentorship, do my entire career, and you know, the boss via coach for taking on my late night crying calls for my whole life. But you know we're here. Somebody, I remember you said a long time ago when y'all were doing the was it the change for change?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: One time Charlie Maine said that having a black woman in power actually gets things done. And that's one hundred percent of the truth. So I'm trying to come up as the next one after fear. So I appreciate this opportunity with y'all, and y'all see me behind the scenes, in front of the scenes on fifty stations. Let's add some more, let's get to ninety. Whatever y'all are on.
Speaker 1: Definitely one of those next you know, big executives in this radio game media game period.
Speaker 3: That's right, and I'm the youngest. So let's get I was talking to Red, let's get some more. If you ever want to be a PD, come fine.
Speaker 1: Nobody wants to be behind the scenes, no more to Everybody wants to be talent, you know what I mean. They either want to start a podcast or you know, be in front of the camera. Nobody wants to be behind the scenes where the producers, where the program direct.
Speaker 3: You can start up. Everybody can start a podcast. Everybody has a story to tell. Everybody has like a profession or something that someth they're interested in. But there go where your gifts lie. Like if you if you are not like the honored type of person, go to programming. If you understand music better and you understand like music like relationships, like go to go to being a PD. There's so many more things. There's so many things to do with a radio station other than being the honored personality. But we don't market it. You know that, well, But we got to I ain't gonna say we got a lot of jobs, but we've got a lot of different career paths up here.
Speaker 2: That's right, all right. So when we come back, we got the positive. Notice the breakfast club good morning.
Speaker 1: Owning everybody in cj NV.
Speaker 2: Charlamagne the GUD. We are the Breakfast Club. We're still here with our co hosts Ashley with to ease Hanning. All right now, Charloman, you got a positive note.
Speaker 1: I do, But first I want to tell everybody tonight, if you're in New York City, I'll be at the Seamberg Center for Research in Black Culture at six pm because the good brother Jay Jenkins, better known as JEZ, he dropped his first book, Yesterday's Adversity for sale. It's available everywhere you buy books right now, and we'll be in conversation tonight. So I'll be in conversation with GZ tonight at the Seanberg Center for Research in Black Culture six pm in New York City, five p fifteen Malcolm X Boulevard. And Jez's having a book signing right after the conversation. So salute to the Greenwood Collective. And yeah, we'll see y'all tonight. Man, we see you tonight. In the positive notice, simply this man always remember hurt people, hurt others, but luckily healed people, heal others, safe people, shelter the others, free spirits, free others, enlighten people, illuminate others, and love always wins. So shine your light of love on all who may cross in your path today, because what you do matters. All right, all right, Breakfast club, Y'll finish for y'all. Done,