Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of The Weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: So, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist. Miles, thank you. We are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a very funny pop culture expert, one of our favorite first time guests back for the second time, one of your favorite first time guests. Also a restaurant expert, a restaurant food critic, yes, apparently a s'mores expert who hosts the show Black People of Paramore. It's a coil.
Speaker 3: Welcome. I'm still having me such a.
Speaker 2: Have you.
Speaker 3: I was just saying off Mike before, I was like, I love your Drake based restaurant reviews where you take a Drake lyric and then you hunt down like the restaurant and dish or you know, you try to have the meal comparable. And I'm like I said, for people who are like you know, there's a lot of hype restaurants to get dropped in these Drake tracks. Let's the coil. You do the exploring for you so you don't have to take a potential expensive l at a nice restaurant, so I'll take yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Do you tuck your napkin when you're eating there? Do you tug your napkin in your shirt?
Speaker 4: Because you know, I really do consider tug my nap in my shirt because I'm just moumping like yeah, my boy first said so, I was like, oh, you.
Speaker 3: Know, you know you go to those steakhouses that have like the button slit in the napkin for like for you to play. That's when I was like, oh, okay. That's when I was like, there's there are levels even the napkins. Yeah. Absolutely, yeah, Like and I was like, damn, I got up in here with a T shirt and maybe I'll have a little bit of a button I can next time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you so what kind of It's only Drake based.
Speaker 4: Thus far, but take a lyric, go to the restaurant the Drake name drops and great his taste so far he has decent taste, you know, but I don't expand other rappers also, do you know restaurant stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Like ghost Face will say a lot of food rhymes, but they're really not attached in a coherent way to a restaurant, because it'll be like, you know, Linguini off the boot sole and you're like, huh, where's that? Thank you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned the cheesecake factory. One of I think the greatest thing American culture has has yet created is the cheesecake factory.
Speaker 3: Hip Hop you go, cheesecake Factory, Jazz hip hop, Jazz hip hop, cheesecake Factory top tier.
Speaker 1: There's tears.
Speaker 3: Oh so jazz hip hop, cheesecake Factory are in that top tier.
Speaker 1: The first three things. I'm pretty sure ken Burns has a documentary that Ken Burns Cheesecake Factory documentary. But that's where I wanted to go for my birth I recently had a birthday. I wanted to go there, but it didn't work out because we were also seeing Oppenheimer. So I saw I went to a local place, the California Pizza Kitchen. Oh yeah, the Californians LA people will know all about that. It's a little local haunt. Else Man, we had one of the best dining experiences I can remember.
Speaker 3: It was so good. Wait, what about R what about CPK, R h CPK what happened? What? Oh?
Speaker 1: It was? I just had I have my standard tie peanut chicken thie chicken peanuts pizza. They also have like a bacon avocado egg roll that.
Speaker 3: Is so like bacon that when a cheesecake factory too. Yeah, I'm sure it's like just copied.
Speaker 1: I think Chili's also has one that's very similar.
Speaker 3: They call them like Southwest egg rolls or something, and you're like, fine, let's good.
Speaker 1: They kept the diet cokes coming. You know, it's just right under it. Chin Restaurants truly.
Speaker 3: What's them? What's your favorite chain restaurant?
Speaker 1: I Lovezkis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you go next per It sounded like when I when when Her Majesty told me she never saw a city of God or kill bill.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's anything for the pazuki. If you want to have a perfect Burbank day, you know, spend some time at I get lunch at Ikea, and then and maybe catch a movie if you'd look. If you're feeling spicy, hit the Islands if you're but if not, go to b Jas yes where the good times are all Speaking to my childhood. That was like, I know you're from l A. Oh okay, yeah yeah, but you know you got to have those balance of things. Those are like the goaded chain places. For me for sure, that's it Islands forever, Islands Forever. That is one that I know. I don't think it's that national island.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's you gotta get the little calivin Islands, get the.
Speaker 3: Shake, yeah exactly, the yaki, the chicken tacos is what I get, not the burger. Not a big burger guy when I go there, you know me, No, exactly, gotta have those, gotta have the gotta have cheese fries. You gotta have my grilled chicken tacos. But I take the pineapple out anyway. That's my order.
Speaker 1: And that there they think they're a burger spot, but they're like that, that's not what people actually go there.
Speaker 3: For now.
Speaker 1: I've never heard anyone be like, you gotta have the burger at Islands. But there's like a number of items that people really swear by. Oh yeah, they have like some mixed drink that is like supposed to be really good there.
Speaker 3: Their drinks are really good over yeah. And and those NonStop surf videos on loop Okay, what's that? Ignore me I just said. And those NonStop like nineties surf videos. They just have one loop by the oldest very but yeah, go ahead, put it on loop.
Speaker 1: What is something from your search history?
Speaker 5: Okay, so my search history that I from ted A is I googled inventor of the wheelchair and his name is stephone or probably Steven Farflir, and I googled him because I wanted to write an inappropriate joke about how I believe that the inventor of the wheelchair just really wanted some pussy and then that's how the wheelchair was invented. And I tweeted it out, and then I was like, oh, let me Actually, before I tweeted out, I should say I looked up who invented the wheelchair? Because I was like, man, I already know somebody's gonna be met everybody. The thing about comedy and writing jokes is that you can see now how people are going to be offended. And I was like, oh, I got to be prepared for someone being like, how do you know then invented? And it's like, oh, I don't. I don't think that the person who's credited for inventing the wheelchair is the person who invented the wheelchair. You know, I'm sure there was like some fucking ancient indigenous motherfucker who invettered that shit that will never get the credit for it. That's the truth of the matter. But I like, you always have to be prepared, and I hate that.
Speaker 3: So that's a really good way to know me.
Speaker 5: I fucking hate that our crowds have gotten so like PC that everything has to be worded so perfectly, and it's like, that's not how comedy works, guys, Like it's just me making a fucking joke about how thirsty men are, and people are like, that's not historically the good.
Speaker 3: Guy, right, It's like, can you focus on some actual problematic comedy. It'll come at me for like presuming the gender or identity of the person who made the wheelchair, because I'm trying to make you laugh by saying wheelchair was invented by a horny guy. That's the distillation, and y'all not fucking with that exactly. So that's a little about me. Look, I'm at my comedy set up made me laugh, so I'm fucking with it.
Speaker 1: It's is your presents that the inventor needed a wheelchair to get to the pussy or the the inventor was just trying to okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like he was at home.
Speaker 5: He's like, man, that Susie told me, I could get it if I could just get to her.
Speaker 3: But my legs don't work. Get this, and I can't have my dad carry me again exactly.
Speaker 5: All that rubble that he has to fucking drag me through, like yo, he he that's desperation. That's innovation via desperation, which we all know is how the best ship is invented us through.
Speaker 3: Oh yeahsation. Yeah, those are like the two pillars of pure creation.
Speaker 1: Poppenheimer anything you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pussy Poppenheimer.
Speaker 1: I need to become Death, the destroyer of worlds, he said as he had sex for the first time.
Speaker 5: Jack, did you get enough sleep last night? Why you seem really like you don't want to be here with me today today?
Speaker 1: Am I wagging?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 3: I think you're lacking is the real word. She wants you a little bit of a little bit brighter, Jack, She's taking it.
Speaker 5: I need you, Jack, I need you. I can't be mean to you when you seem a little down in the dumps.
Speaker 3: What I get a good nice seep? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Did you have a nice breakfast? What did you have for breakfast, Jack.
Speaker 1: Three eggs and an English muffin. That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: That's good. Damn.
Speaker 7: Like we both are like, oh ship three eggs, two, you get to workout. I think I'm just trying to loosen you up.
Speaker 1: Jack, Okay, okay, because I was in the middle of a sentence and I did.
Speaker 5: I don't give up. I can ask about how you're doing anytime.
Speaker 3: Because Marcella, you were lagged. You were lagging on the car, so like when so when Jack started talking to it seemed like you had nothing to say and then you say, I'm like, are you okay?
Speaker 8: Jack?
Speaker 3: Like it was like some so I love hit. What is what something you think is overridden? What do I think is overrated?
Speaker 9: I think not voting is overrated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, not voting.
Speaker 9: Here's what's going to happen here.
Speaker 6: People are not going to vote because they think it's a waste of time. But it turns out that I, as a person who ran for office just now and lost by a number of votes, if I had gotten more votes, I would have won.
Speaker 3: Right, So it.
Speaker 6: Turns out voting is very important. No matter what fucking Republicans say about it. That's still how we're doing it. That's how it's done, and that's why they're saying it's fake, and that's why they spend all their money. It's the only thing we have, it's the only real thing. And I'm very susceptible to this shit. You hear enough people on TV talking about something being fake, it can't help but make even the smartest person go, maybe it's fake, Maybe it's fake.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just.
Speaker 9: The power of TV.
Speaker 6: I mean, everybody you grew up with TV being somewhat believable or you know, depending on you know, how deep you want to go with that. But you know, originally the TV was pretty straightforward. The news was maybe close to being real, like they were just like, you know, I don't know everybody in the I don't know what they did back then, what the news was, but you know, it was like sort of connected to what was really happening because there were two parties that were sort of still functioning because they had to be in they had to be doing they were we were on our way to monopoly. We were on our way back then. We were just baby companies merging. So there was still enough companies that it was like there was some legislation to be done, like they had to figure out ways to get these mergers in motion. It turns out for the last fifty years, all they've been doing is just merging and merging and merging until now there's no need for policies because there's only like one company, so they don't care about it. There's no you don't have to maneuver anymore. Now it's just about tax.
Speaker 3: Avoidance, right.
Speaker 6: So, but for a long time, America had a bunch of little companies and they were they needed like, uh, they were kind of competing like it's supposed to be. And then and then when there's competition, then there's different opinions, and then you need real legislators. But you know, now we just have like these stunt legislators. Legislators, but you have to I I'm just saying I got thirteen thousand votes. I mean, this is all silly. I don't know why I'm talking about. I should have been I should be I should be happy. I'm just in shock a little bit. I just ran this campaign. I got signs of my name on them, and running around town. You know, I'm telling everybody that it's the end of the world, and and and and they're and they're excited to hear it because they're sick of hearing the bullshit. So it was a great experience. And I'm not it's not the end of the world. It's not the world is not gonna end. We're just gonna end up in a bad spot. You know, We're gonna end up in a really hot, hot bad spot. And I'm in hot like heat, like regular sun. Yeah, we're just gonna end up in a Yeah, We're gonna end up in a bad spot, and then it's gonna restart and some other kind of people, you know, bug people or whoever, are gonna merge from the sludge. So it's like we're gonna we're just fucking ourselves over by not voting. So I'm just saying, go fucking vote because the people who vote this is absurd what I'm saying. But I just want to say that I got thirteen thousand votes. Yeah, and if I'd gotten twenty thousand, I would have been in. And if I'd gotten like a few thousand more, I would have made the runoff. They were they're so My position I was running for counsel or council at large, was like, you know, it was like fifteen twenty people running, so it's like the votes get divided up a lot, like thirteen thousand.
Speaker 9: Is really good.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was spread spread out so much.
Speaker 6: But thirteen thousand people voting for me as a first time candidate was an incredible compliment, and I actually started to really want to win because I realized I was qualified. Also, if you want to run for office, you are qualified. I will tell you right now.
Speaker 3: And I know that now.
Speaker 6: In fact, now I suspected it, but now I know it for a fact.
Speaker 9: If you're a nice person, if you're an honest person, that's two things that most people aren't in that space, So.
Speaker 3: Go for it.
Speaker 1: Surely you had to like get hired by the Democratic Party and jump through all sorts of hoops to what was the process from going from I'm not a I'm not a political candidate to I am that people can vote for. What was that like?
Speaker 6: Well, I just I just I went and spoke at that stadium hearing because the because the city of Nashville and now the city of Buffalo, New York did the same thing, or the you know, New York State did it for the buff You know, they give all the tax money to the NFL, because the NFL says, if they don't get their stadium paid for, even though they could pay for the stadium and still have massive profits, they could pay for a ton of stadiums, but they just know that the promise of vague promise of economic growth, and also just the fact that people like you know, in a dystopia, people will do anything to keep a football team. It's their only joy, right, you know, So they've got this, They've got people over a barrel. I mean, your average person is like, I don't want to lose my football team. Then we got nothing, even though they should, your average person should say fuck off football team. Yeah, and let's use that money for a decent for decent bus stops, you.
Speaker 3: Know, or whatever, a bus stop that has a roof on.
Speaker 6: It so you don't sit in the sun while you wait for a bus and a bunch of weeds like in Nashville, and humiliated bus stops. Bus stops in Nashville are fucking humiliating, humiliating because they're meant to be.
Speaker 3: That say, oh, this person's riding the bus. Okay, yes, I mean if you are, there's that guy.
Speaker 6: No, you live in a in a functioning society in Los Angeles. I mean, it's not perfect, but you got to come to Nashville and find out what them you gotta find out. You gotta come to Nashville and find yourself in a pothole that you're like peering over.
Speaker 3: The side of. You know. Anyway, it's Nashville is a whole.
Speaker 6: Other level of of of idiot, like just just corrupt and no no services because.
Speaker 9: There's no taxes. There's the other thing I guess, I guess I'll say overrated. This is underrated is taxes.
Speaker 6: Hey, guess what it turns out if you don't pay any taxes, there's no money for anything. There's no money to do anything. It's taxes are not fake. Elections are not fake. We have to get on board with this. And I'm reporting from.
Speaker 3: Inside the shark. Inside the shark, it's.
Speaker 9: Full of sad people waiting for doctor visits. It's a shark full of lottery tickets.
Speaker 3: And I'm crazy.
Speaker 9: I'm just doing some poetry now.
Speaker 10: Beautiful lottery tickets is America, and America.
Speaker 6: Is a it's a flapping flavorless Sorry that was just there's more poetry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, got alliteration. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, so anyway that the thing is all you have to do to run is you file some paperwork and and and I just decided I was going to run. I went down to the election Commission, you get like fifty seventy five signatures or whatever it is, and then you're on the ballot. And then you then you start an Act Blue account, which is a well, if you're progressive, that's the progressive like yeah, money hoovering aggressive. I hate that expression. It's like, I just hate all the They should just say normal progressive is normal.
Speaker 9: Or hateful and the others like hate group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's only two. Yeah forwards do you like human rights? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Or backwards or forwards or violence or no violence, those are better names for these parties.
Speaker 1: Yeah so yeah.
Speaker 3: So Chris, I just I like how you said, how you went from being like I don't know if I can do this shit too very much like no, you have to. And I know this happens a lot like when you enter, like in politics, because there's this fucking mythological presence around what it means to run for office or the kind of people that run for office. What was that moment when you went, oh shit, it's all everyone's a fucking joker in here.
Speaker 9: The first time I went.
Speaker 6: To a mayoral forum, my friend Lizzie Cooperman.
Speaker 9: You guys know, Lizzie Cooperman, just like, are you gonna be saying may or all like?
Speaker 3: As much?
Speaker 6: You keep saying like you say mayor all like? I don't know if I can be friends with you. You're gonna say mayoral this much? Yea, she has a good point, But for the purposes of this show, I have to say it.
Speaker 2: May oral moor or.
Speaker 6: Mayoral forums are where the candidates from mayor here in Nashville get together and are asked questions. And I, once I got in the race, I had to start going to these events just to make myself known. You have to become a known quantity to these people. And I had some head start with that because of the Vice column and the book so people in this town and also just like you know, my previous life is as a person who just you know, be a rock bunk rock, dirty ship person, whatever.
Speaker 3: Person.
Speaker 6: Yeah, crazy person, crazy guy, Oh bunk rock. Oh he's rude. Oh he's rude and crazy. And that's how you revolt by being drunk as fuck. I'm anheuser Bush products.
Speaker 10: That's revolution is being asleep all the time with like four cigarettes in your mouth. That's how you fight the system.
Speaker 1: Somebody's kind of impressive.
Speaker 10: Sleep on the floor with a cigarette in your ass, that's revolution.
Speaker 6: No, So like that that was the old self where I thought revolution was accomplished by being belligerent and burning bridges, Like that's the funniest thing is you have to build bridges. Revolution is building bridges, not burning.
Speaker 1: Them with tax dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wait, so what happened at the mayoral form This show is gonna be rough.
Speaker 9: It's my fault too, that's wall I drank.
Speaker 3: We're the hosts and you're the guest. I drank.
Speaker 9: I drank a lot of it.
Speaker 3: I just did it. And now I saw you looking down the barrel of that cup when you were drinking the cold grew. I was like, this guy is saying, like stars like he's going to speed.
Speaker 6: It's not necessarily the best thing to do a level headed political conversation when you're drank colbrew at the same time. So the mayoral forum, I was just like, oh my god. There were like fifteen people up there. Some of them were like completely nuts, like absolutely nuts, you know, and and then some were like had zero charisma, and and then they were like two that like one that knew a lot of stuff, uh, and.
Speaker 3: And then and that.
Speaker 6: But I mean it was not I was immediately like my first thought was, you guys, was why the hell am.
Speaker 1: I running for city council?
Speaker 9: Why aren't I running for mayor?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: Like, far from being far from being intimidated, I was just like, this is what we're choosing from. And that's when you get into these people are to run for mayor, you need a significant amount of money, and people are not investing in like bold independent people.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 9: People are they're they're they are.
Speaker 6: They want their candidate to be the kind of person who has no friends, because then you give them one cigar and it's the greatest experience this candidate's ever had in his life, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 6: The one golf around, one one golf club that has his name engraved on it.
Speaker 3: And he's there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can pull them the wildlife Refuge.
Speaker 9: Oh my god, no one's ever given me a gift before.
Speaker 6: This is the first time I've been in a room with more than four people in it.
Speaker 3: Did people come to you. Did did anybody?
Speaker 1: I'd imagine you're pretty clear that you're not like a party man, But did you get a by any like political operatives insiders?
Speaker 6: Yes, just a little bit, But I mean I'm not I don't have enough power at this. I mean I wasn't enough of a known quantity to really get bothered. So I just got like people who are some some billionaire startup thing that's trying to get you to use their app. And those guys that were working for were okay, and they were trying I think maybe they were trying to do the right thing, but I was just like, this sounds like they're like our our billionaire benefactor is just sick of politics the way they are, and it's like already.
Speaker 9: I'm just like, yeah, that's not a real thing.
Speaker 6: Billionaires don't care about anything, so that are already out.
Speaker 3: And then you're like, you know, I'm not a white supremacist, right, They're like, oh, oh okay, sorry, sorry, so never mind, sorry sorry. I actually think.
Speaker 6: These were nice people. I think they thought that they're billionaire overlord. Actually was like a guy who's had it with partisan politics, Like I don't.
Speaker 3: This is happening in entertainment too, where I've heard tell now like a few billionaire like scion types who have all this money because their parents fucked up business, and like they want to subvert that, like with their billions of dollars, but they kind of don't know where to start. And it is a little interesting thing where you see these people like, look, I know I have like this money comes from fucking death ships, but yeah, I want to make sure Trump isn't president and make some cool stuff along the way. So I feel like you can you definitely there there is that kind of like billionaire with with a form like a very infant or a very newborn form of consciousness coming online.
Speaker 6: Might be Yeah, yeah, I'm so unsympathetic to those people, Like I can't even believe, you know, I no sympathy.
Speaker 3: Oh your empires.
Speaker 6: You're finally realizing, like, oh, you're coming to some you know, you're starting to you know, understand the the you know, and like you're just gonna give a little bit of your give all your money back, then give it all back, give it all the fucking go, go go start the world's largest food pantry.
Speaker 9: You had to throw away all your money, Get ready to you know, get out of here.
Speaker 3: I'm starting to feel like maybe fuck off.
Speaker 6: So you know, I'm not I'm not interested in slowly waking up billionaires.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I'm a sleepy eyed Oh.
Speaker 6: I think maybe we did bad things, like fuck you you fucking oh.
Speaker 9: Maybe maybe playing polo is not helpful. Maybe playing polo in Dubai is actually quite shallow.
Speaker 6: So I I got the I got the certification. I went and I did the signatures, and then I started my bank account. I had to file a little bit of paperwork, which is a pain in the ass. I mean it was like a bunch of stuff I didn't want to do, certainly. I mean like there was some paperwork that almost drove me insane, like me uploading uploading a fucking spreadsheet into a portal, right, I mean that was like, I mean, for someone who's fifty four years old, that's like, you know, why don't you just fucking jump out the fucking windows.
Speaker 9: This is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. And that was excruciating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hold on, hold that thought.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a quick break, we're gonna come back and talk about spreadsheets. Back, and we're back, and I gotta say, like, so, you know, I've read read the news for for this, for this job, but to this point my and not really. You know, you folks can tell I'm just I'm skimming here and there. But in terms of like my fiction intake, the climate change fiction that I've taken in over the course of my life has mainly been mad the Mad Max is, Yeah, all the Mad Max films, water World, huh, the Day after Tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: And I think that's like, yeah, I mean twenty twelve. I think du like seems like it should be a climate change parable, but it's actually it goes out of its way to say that it's like something weird happening with a core of the Earth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, new neutrinos jack from a solar flare obviously are doing something in a core or something. But it's also twenty twelve mins new that shit. So it was a spooky year. Yeah, dude, did you did you buy in? Did you even party you think about twenty twelve?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: We I mean a cracked We definitely covered the bullshit, but we I did not.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I didn't believe. It was not hard to me. I remember in two thousand and nine I started thinking about it. Oh yeah, A look is like damn, I'm twenty five, Like what can I get done? Like can I make my mom proud through twenty twelve? Because right now I'm like living with her and like just eating all her food and shit, like going to get a job in the recession, Like please, what do I do? But yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Scariest of all years. There were those Mitt Romney videos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I.
Speaker 1: Don't know the solutions of those films, and in just like the popular imagination to a large degree, seems to be everyone's gonna die and then you're left behind because you're the main character of the story to kill or be killed. I think the Day after Tomorrow. I remember ending with people like on the space station looking at the globe and the US is like mostly frozen ice. Yeah, and then they're like, yeah, but the air never looked so clean. It's like that's the earth healing itself, killing us all off.
Speaker 3: So just yeah, just put just freezing North America is the solution. I mean, fine, if so be it, I guess, yeah, do you have anything else to offer.
Speaker 1: Us that does seem to be like sort of stylish Nehilism seems to be the way that is, at least I think I default approached climate change until like we really started digging into.
Speaker 3: It, right, because like books like Man are not books, you know, novels like water World. Again, the novelization, very fucking water World fucked me up so bad as a kid, like fucked me up because when din't they come out like ninety four or some shit. I'm like ten years old. I went to see that the Magic Johnson Theater with my grandfather and he was like, wow, He's like that's I was like, what a movie hunt? And I was like shaken to my core as it can really yeah, And I was like.
Speaker 1: Because you were like, this is how we're going to be living, and.
Speaker 3: Well, the logic made sense because like you knew about like the earth heating up and pollution and things at the time. Right now, we have just celebrated getting rid of styrofoam, I remember, and like CFC's and shit, and but like but the logic, path of earth become warm ice cap ice melt, therefore the water everywhere visa v Yeah. And I was a bad swimmer. I was a weak swimmer, Like I was a terrible swimmer. So there was nothing more terrifying than a world where everything was someone's pool party where I sucked at swimming. Yeah you know what I mean. Yeah, And so like there were multiple layers to it, and again that shit didn't really offer you any solutions side from like maybe you could find this map to find a fucking hidden island you could fucking live on or some shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was like you're gonna have to wear a T shirt to cover your weird chest hair because it's a pool.
Speaker 3: Party exactly, and I think the kids aren't ready to really accept that yet or your three hairs you have on your armpit.
Speaker 1: My chest hair grew in. I still have a weird patch of chest hair, but it grew in asymmetrically.
Speaker 3: What do you mean, Like it favored one side of your.
Speaker 1: Chest favored one side and was very like it wasn't like a small amount came at a time. It was like, Bam, there's a weird patch of hair. Like I was just like one tenth of my chest was werewolf right away, no way, yeah yeah, and just like ca down like the left chestor guy the way you had to wait so so ah, so you were you were rocking you were rocking the shirt in the pool kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Sweatshirt in the pool.
Speaker 11: No sweatshirt, No, but but yeah, that that was a thought that crossed my mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah. If that's if that's water World, then that's your your cross the bear too. But but yeah, no, I think all that to say is like, so from time immemorial, my concept of climate change is literally skip any anything in the middle. It's just jumped to the like Earth death, where like I'm holding the dust that was once my family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it ignores like what the reality of the next you know, forty years is probably going to look like. So, so the goal of the Ministry for the Future is to imagine like the time between now and you know when it's it's like people describe it as like utopian, but millions of people like die from climate change, which it seems like might be inevitable, But it's describes a possibility of like humanity changing the way that we live on the earth to actually like have a chance. And it's very I don't know, I kept waiting for it to like have like a plot twist or something where it's like and actually I was the one blowing up those planes because and instead it's just very it's kind of hyper like it feels like his goal the whole time is just like keep it realistic, and this is like the main character is a bureaucrat and you are just like kind of working through it. And it's I read a review that said it it's interesting in the way that like the map of your hotel room floor becomes interesting when someone pulls the fire alarm, Like you are just like, okay, well this this is certainly relevant to me. Now. It's not like I'm not saying it's bad. It's definitely worth reading. But it's like it really delves into like there's long passages that there's just meetings with like finance people and stuff and like talking about how you would make this shit possible, but.
Speaker 3: Gives you a much more vivid, you know, idea of of like what potentially is is the work or the processes that we're going to undertake, rather than like, because I feel so much of what we're experiencing right now is just to be like, so are we ever going to get off fossil fuels?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then we kind of feel really fucking just destitute and downtrodden and like you know, hopeless because of just like focusing on one part when this is like a multifaceted issue with many ways to approach it to solve it. And I think that's what that's why I appreciate works like that that can kind of break our minds out a little bit of that like pattern of thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I truly just have a very difficult time imagining an end of capitalism because I like it's a quote, like it's been associated with the author of this book, He's not the one who said it, and like when I've heard him interviewed about it, he's like, I don't I don't like that quote anymore. But like it's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism. For me, that rings true, Like I just couldn't. Yeah, And therefore every solution that like comes up, I'm like, but corporations are just gonna like fuck that out of existence, Like if you like any anything like that is just going to get ruined by us. And I think one of the things that I learned in reading this book is that it's hard to imagine the next forty years from inside the United States, and like especially from inside like if you pay a lot of attention to the United States zeitgeist, like it is, it has not been leading us in a direction that would suggest like that these things are possible, right that we're going to be talking about. So I don't know, let's let's dive in. I mean, the first big question. The book suggests that, like the radicalizing event that will bring about this sort of global zeitgeist change is that India sees a heat wave that kills like five million people. Like it's the there's a certain point at which if the humidity is high enough and the heat is high enough, your body just can't cope, Like the human body can't cope. And so like it seems like if things don't change, this is something that's somewhat inevitable. And this radicalizes India as a country and they start doing some of the things that have been like sort of controversial ideas that people have put out there, like you know, putting reflective material in the upper atmosphere to reflect to like basically dim the sun that we did miss snow piercer as anos another cheerful look at how we might address climate change. But they call it in the book like a double Pinatubo, because Pentatubo was the volcanic eruption that most recently like significantly altered the temperature globally for a period of time like I think a year or two, and so like the people of India drop like a double penitubo on the rest of our asses over the objection from the un And it's temporary, but it like you know, it's the first thing that changes people and starts getting people motivated to all right, how are we going to deal with this? We need like.
Speaker 3: Because that can never happen again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that can never happen again. It's the largest mass death like in the history of them.
Speaker 3: And again, if you're just tuning and we're talking about a science fiction book.
Speaker 1: Talking about if you're just joining us, this is Terry Groen, Stanley Roberts, but like it's science fiction. But a recent article in The New Yorker pointed out that we're actually like not far from the thing from that inciting incident happening. Like this spring, or I guess it was last spring saw the most dire pre monsoon heat wave in Indian history, and it was only a slightly lower humidity that prevented a real life, you know, event on par with what happens in the book, and still like lots of people died, lots of people are dying from heat already, you know, and it's just our I don't know, like it. We've talked, we've suggested that it's just you know, because it's hard to imagine and there aren't that many movies that depict people dying from heat, so you like you don't really have it in your head, like what that looks like. And the pictures that come with it in newspapers are people having fun while opening.
Speaker 3: Up a fire hydrunt right, yea.
Speaker 1: And so this is an event that like kind of makes it real for everybody in India at least, and that that seems to be something that they also wrestle with that I'm glad they did. It's not like all of a sudden, everybody in Texas is like, man, what happened to the people in India is really bad and we need to act on it. In the book, they're like, it needs to happen to you or to like your community for it to be real too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And clearly we're I mean, that's usually how the US works, is like it has to literally be on your fucking doorstep, walk through the door, and fuck your shit up, and then you're like, oh, okay, yeah, so that's a thing. But yeah.
Speaker 1: He talks about an example of like a neighborhood that got destroyed by a tornado and like the people the neighborhood over were like, yeah, well that was on them. They were they were in the path of that tornado, and it's like that could have been anything.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like even like those like like small group of Republicans in North Carolina, they're like really worried about sea level rise and yeah, like there other people like just shut up.
Speaker 1: They're like I live here and I'm watching it. What are you talking about? Right? Yeah, But anyways, so he wrote this book in twenty nineteen, right, he gave a speech this past April that he actually said the book is too bleak, Like he says, calling like the book talks about how the thirties is what he calls the zombie decade because of all the like institutions that are still coasting on the inertia of you know, the past order of things, right, which you know, banks running everything in the United States and stuff like that. Even though they no longer serve us or you know, make sense in the world, and he thinks that's actually already too pessimistic, and like, to me, that sounds like, oh, that's a great description of the world as it feels inside America right now. Between Yeah, just things that are coasting off of inertia. But he sees a lot of like really cool programs around the world that he finds encouraging. I do think this book kind of turned him into a public eco intellectual, and so he is getting a lot of the information about like all the stuff people are trying, which is cool. It's it's stuff that doesn't get covered in the mainstream media and that's probably why, you know, I want to talk about it so much, because it does feel like it's being kept like a secret right from us, and it's kind of important information.
Speaker 3: So what are the kind of departures from our you know, are our current norm that you know, that society moves into in terms of like addressing this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone just needs to get a tesla and you're good. Yeah, just get a tesla and give you money and we're good here.
Speaker 3: Oh then all right, well, dude, it's been a great episode, right Gang you heard it, Get it Tesla? Maybe get that Tesla.
Speaker 1: No, actually, there's it's conspicuous in the omission that like he doesn't even bring up electric vehicles, or if he does, it's just like as a like there's more adoption of this happening like in the early stages. Sure, sure we actually like there's another thing for my search history is like car bloat, which is something I found about found out about over the weekend, which is that like, as people are making this transition to electric vehicles, they're also making the cars way big, way bigger on the roads and even in your like Europe, I'm sorry, I picture Europe as like a bunch of people hunched inside, like those little tykes sides.
Speaker 3: And you know those plastic red and yellow. Yeah yeah, like.
Speaker 1: That's what I picture the shape of European cars. But like the third most popular highest sales car model in Europe in twenty twenty two is an sup like they're they're turning into I.
Speaker 3: Mean, yeah, we touched on just on the Normal Show about how like people who are like city planning and like do that kind of stuff, or just like cars are too fucking big for streets, for fucking parking lots, Like you're not like, what the it's eventually like the cars are just gonna be too fucking big and people are just gonna like fucking bump into each other. Not to mention that these cars are just like way fucking heavier and more tankish than ever too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so much heavier like evs like it compared to the like similar size gas burning vehicle. It's not like, well, so you could should keep burning gas, but it's just it's a good example of like how in the current system, right, Like why I'm so cynical is like the current system will find a way to take it and turn it into like in this case, an arms race.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like kind of consumer consumerist commodification fuck fest where it's like, oh, yeah, the way we get out of it is you buy this thing. Yeah, it's like but that's more consumption when we're talking about concern what the so what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so yeah, it's it's like breaking roads. And it's also it's like really scary because those car carriers, so the way the way that's being dealt with right now, by the way just real quick, and then we'll get into the things that actually work. But just as an example of why this like hasn't naturally occurred to us, Like this is what gets done with good ideas, is like, so they get these giant like F one fifty up trucks that are twice the size of like an F one fifty and nineteen ninety three, but they're electronic and then they are like one of the complaints that people have is that when you have to like transport them, they put them on the back of those car carriers. Yeah, but they're so big that like they don't you can only fit like a handful of them on.
Speaker 3: The back of car weight wise, like because yes, you can see them loaded up with like the normal combustion cars, but the uvs are so much heavier.
Speaker 1: Oh, those things are already the scariest things to be driving next to it all high. Yeah, like those car carriers where you like just see the weight, like you can just see it. It looks like it's like a drunk like three hundred pounds person, just like teetering next few And I have seen bad boys too, so I'm already like terrified of what's going to happen with those So the way that the shipping and you know, trucking industry is trying to deal with the fact that it's like you can't fit as many on is just asking for them to change the weight limit on car carriers so that they can carry.
Speaker 3: See right, more of them. We're we're not, We're not. We're not rising to the occasion with like actual solutions stupidity. So to make things more convenient for the sale objects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so this novel asks you would imagine that, like they're like, as the consequences of climate change continue to become like realer and realer to people, you get a world where people are like, wait, what if instead of just doing that, what if we built more reasonably sized cars, or what if since cars don't actually work and electric vehicles are still polluting through the like manufacturing process, Like what if we found other solutions for getting around?
Speaker 3: Like what Yes?
Speaker 1: So one of the things that he talks about is just the need to transition to a post capitalist system for world governance.
Speaker 3: Just generally all right.
Speaker 1: Just like that right, easy? Easy? Does it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? For sure.
Speaker 1: The point is that like the climate and inequality are part of the same problem, Like the extremely wealthy will continue to make decisions as if the rest of us don't exist because under the current system, like practically speaking, as far as they're concerned, we don't exist. They never have to see us, they never have to deal with the consequences of their actions. But also capitalism is currently constituted will continue to extract them, like burn fossil fuels if not otherwise encumbered, right, and so like the current system is set up to reward people for doing things that are bad for us, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, right, right, The incentives are things that are not moving towards solutions or anything. Yeah, or they may be perceived as that in the beginning, but ultimately know, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: The most powerful country in the world is still the US, and it's run by capitalism without restraint, like proudly like right. So, one of the things he uses the model of Montdragon, which is a worker owned collective in the Bosque region of Spain Espannah by Bosco Bosco. So this is a co op that it's a voluntary association ninety five autonomous cooperatives that you know, each co op's highest paid executive makes a most six times the salary of its lowest paid employee. There are no outside shareholders. Instead, you have a tryout period, and then if they like you enough, you get a chance to buy in to be a part owner of the company that you work for. Right, and there is like a CEO type of person that's called a managing director. And you know, but the members themselves vote on many of everything.
Speaker 3: I mean everything of.
Speaker 1: Strategy, salaries, policy. The votes of all members, whether their senior management or blue collar, all count equally.
Speaker 3: So like in it, he's saying that like like moving first of all, like we're gonna be probably up moving towards worker owned collectives in order to survive. Yes, and that is a really like that example. If you really like read up on there's like documentaries or you can find shit about the under gun like they it. It will blow your mind as an American labor per worker to see that you're like. And then so the person right there in the factory line they own they also own the company, yes exactly. And then but what happens like if they make less money, what about layoffs? Well, see they own the company. So then rather than answering to shareholders who are saying, why I need my fucking shareholder value to hold up? So you need to lop some heads off and do layoffs. They decide internally what has to be sacrificed, what can be dialed up, what can be dialed down in order for the company to keep going long term, And like that is such a completely different way to engage with what you do for work when you actually have ownership for it, which I'm glad to see. Something like that would seem normal, like would seem like naturally like a fair thing to somebody if you like presented the idea to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially if the alternative of like just full blown unfettered capitalism or neoliberalism. The current form of capitalism we live under is just like we start to see the evidence more clearly that it just doesn't like it's not possible.
Speaker 3: Going, they got fucking little kids working at the bars now, right, Like that's where we're at, and.
Speaker 1: They can get their little hands inside the pint glasses, miles, and they.
Speaker 3: Can put help. Yeah, they keep the fruit flies out of the mixer bottles, like no, this is but again yeah, like we it we can see a play out because it is almost going like we actually already have a script. It's called idiocracy, right, yeah, yeah, it's is that version.
Speaker 1: But my brain you know, is so like capitalism poisoned, like it immediately when you talk about like a co op, Like there's this quote in this profile of mondar Going in the New Yorker where Larry Summers, our favorite guy, Harvard president, so he must be liberal and smart characterized co ops as intrinsically sleepy and short sighted. When you put workers in charge of firms and you give them substantial control over the firms, the one thing you do not get is expansion. You get more for the people who are already there. Wow, one is greedy and will try and fuck you, so you just have to fuck them back. Like it's just that very basic, like intrinsic kind of cellular greed capitalism model of humanity that I like grew up. It Like that's how I thought for a long time the world worked. So there's probably a good reason that like we don't know about it.
Speaker 3: Is it like has succeeded. Sorry did I cut you off? No? No, I'm just kind of just ran rambling on the side agreeing because yeah, I mean, like the it's just wild. When he's basically saying it's like, yeah, the problem is no, just destructive growth, right, that's the thing. That's the only thing about it. And when you hear people who work in work our own co ops or like even people in like in Mondra going there, like it's clear profit is important because you need that to help sustain a business, but that is not the fucking be all, end all. It's it's to ensure the longevity of the of of this project and just be able to have it be something because like these some of these people are like second generation in the co op where they're like, yeah, my fucking parents started this ship. Yeah, and this is us to like to shepherd.
Speaker 1: It as far as the like no growth thing is concerned. This started in I think the forties as like a four people, four students from like this priest who is the founder, like created a community college and then like worked with for the people who graduated from there who were like really promising students. Like I don't think I have all of this correct, but like it started with like four people that he was like, I bet you guys would make a good company. And now they employ around eighty thousand people. Seventy six percent of those work in manufacturing co ops and our owners. And it's not like I think the only thing that I had really heard of as a co op in the US is like grocery stores or like little like boutique stores, just like mondrag go on, Like what one of the manufacturing companies makes bicycles at an industrial scale. Others make elevators, produce huge industrial machines using the production of jet engines, rockets, when turbines. They have schools, large grocery chain, a catering company, fourteen technology R and D centers. They even have a McKinsey like consulting firm.
Speaker 3: Hey see right, yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty one, the network brought in more than eleven billion euros in revenue. So I don't know, like I don't want this to be like and they've never had a problem, but it's it's so directly flies in the face of everything I've ever heard about socialism or like well the possibilities of like how an incentive structure can work because of being you know, raised in this country, right, And so the book just like generally creates a model of the present and near future where like things just aren't I think I assumed like the internet had this like pro promise when it first became a thing. And like websites and you know, the freedom of information, and I just assumed that like the fact that it inevitably got fucked up by the forces of capital, like it that it is inevitable. And but like when you take a step back and like think about how things could work under a system where like the economy works to serve people rather than like people working to serve the economy. Like that's the line from the book that is like so basic. I'm embarrassed that I stopped and like wrote it down, but it seems profound that that was.
Speaker 3: Your real eyes realized, Oh what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: Hold on man, Yeah, totally. I know it's so simple. But again to when you've been propagandized and evangelized about capitalism from fucking the gamy phase of your life, yea, Like yeah, it does. It does seem like it's just like you can't even imagine the inverse of something. It's like, no, what, Yeah, we got to help the economy. It's like, motherfucker that there's.
Speaker 1: Nothing about social media that inevitably says that the companies who provide that service would sell your information for marketing purposes. And it's kind of weird that like it turned into like a brainwashing, like addictive, competitive, like fucked up thing like it Like, but that's what hyper capitalism does everything, Like the blockchain is a cool technology and theory, and hyper capitalism turned it into a fucking Ponzi scheme and like that's what people think of when they think of the blockchain, whereas like it could be a very valuable tool and probably will be into the future. They actually do talk about the blockchain event in the in Ministry for the future. They use it to just make it so that the hyper wealthy can't hide their money in tax savans, like all all money, Yeah, all money's online, so it can't be hidden anywhere. And the way that that's brought about is that there's like an attack on the Swiss banks where a lot of the hyper wealthy hide their money and it, you know, they lose, they lose track of all the different accounts that they have, and basically they're like, all right, well, we need to make it so that this information is just publicly available, yeah, because the old system kind of no longer works. And I guess the importance of the Internet, like point that is that like now everyone knows so much more than they did before, Like the internet gives us access to all this information, all of these tools for accessing the information, and it's still just like a tiny drop, but it it's harder to fool people, and it's easier to kind of it's going to be harder to hide the realities of the ship from p people, or at least it should be in theory.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right, It's I mean, it's interesting because so many of these things, right because I know another element because I've I've seen Kim Stanley Roberts speak before too, and he also talks out about like regenerative agriculture and you know that for something you know, in my mind.
Speaker 1: It's Kim Stanley Robinson. I've said that before. I think, yeah, what did I just say Stanley Roberts.
Speaker 3: Oh I did just yeah, Sorry, then I said Kim Stanley Roberts for anyway, like in other talks I've seen him give, just like about the book and just like other sort of like climate change, like like what's like, what the fuck are we go about folks kind of talks. Is to also see like regenerative agriculture be brought up so much, which again feels like when the ultimate sort of theme, Like if there is any sort of quote unquote solution, it's like to completely like unfuck our heads with the idea that growth is good and we need to be seeking profits at all costs. Yeah, and especially with regenerative agricultures. Like a really good way to wrap your head around just how we do things in like the most backwards way because current like just gigantic mega agribusinesses we're all about, especially in America, just monocrops. It's like this piece of ground will only grow fucking soybeans or corn or whatever. When that's done, we're gonna fucking we're gonna boost the fucking because it's all about yields, what we can get from this. It's all about putting as many fertilizers in and all kinds of chemicals and shit to bring about higher yields. And then once we pull that shit out, we just let that patch of dirt stay fucking dirt and do let like don't let like nature do its thing like allowing like for example, just like the soil erosion is a huge thing that I was not really like really understanding its connection to our ecosystem and the destructive way that we farm, doesn't allow for our soils to actually regenerate the micro organisms that it needs h and also allows for like, you know, better water absorption. So they're like versions of it, like no tail farming, Like we're not just fucking ripping shit up and allowing plants to put roots deeper into the ground, which means if they have they can go deeper into the ground photosynthesis, they can take that fucking CO two and put carbon directly into the soil. And another huge part of it I did not realize was that as a reservoir to capture carbon, the ground is like something like many times larger than the atmosphere in terms of its capacity to absorb carbon. And like when you look at something like that and you're like, holy shit, a lot of and I'm again, I'm doing a very like very simplified distillation of regenerative agriculture. But the idea that we need to be actually working in harmony with the earth actually also helps for things like the desertification of our land for drought and you know, carbon capture, and now that les.
Speaker 1: How do we tenx that? How do we scale that? And just okay, this how that real quick forma Yeah, yeah, bank play bank run on that. Yeah, dude, what do you think VC play on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: There should regenerate out agriculture should be people's new social media, It should be people's new bank.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the thing, This is where this is where our old ways kind of slip in, right, because now many people are using the term but with interchangeable definitions, whether that means it's regenerative in the sense in the process that we're doing, or that the outcomes are regenerative, and they mean very different things in terms of how we're interacting with the earth. So again, like when I read stories about that, and some people like the most optimistic forecasts and the white paper that the study that this like forecast was based off of has been debated by other scientists, was saying that, like, you know, if you actually were able to properly do certain regenerative practices on like all of our grasslands and farmlands, and that just sort of became the norm, we would capture all of the carbon that's emitted right now already and have the capacity for more tons of carbon. Now, I think a more not getting completely carried away with that version of that, at least for me, that is heartening is the idea that we we have all of these tools that we know work right, and whether that means it's gonna one hundred percent or even fucking thirty percent, any reduction is a good thing along with all the other things we're trying to do as a as a as a as a species, but being able to see that those things are available, these are things that we are trying to implement. People are definitely trying to implement it. There are definitely like large interest groups that are trying to do it for many different reasons. But that helps me as a human being, move away a little bit from the water world idea of where this thing goes and to know that like like they're there, we have the ways to do this, we just have to fucking put it together. Yeah, and that's the fucking hard part, right, But I think for me, it's better to have an idea of how to like to actually address the situation rather than to be completely resigned to the fact that it's going to overtake it. Of the way I thought about police violence in twenty fourteen is very different than how I think about police violence and how to actually address it now, now that I've done like more research, more work, more interacting, more conversations with people to know that it's not just like, man, it's always going to be like this. It's like, well, no, there's things like qualified immunity that are holding us back. And in the same way, it's really good to be able to also arm yourself with these kinds of points of knowledge because it goes a little bit less from like Okay, well, I guess I'm gonna wear my football pads with spikes in it and face pain I burnt out Honda Prelude in the Desert to being like, no, man, like, these are a lot of things like we need to be thinking about more and are there. But again, that's our main battle is to be able to coalesce around these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kim Stanley Robinson like in a in a speech from Kim Stanley rot I think I've been saying Roberts and that might have fucked everyone else up. But it was funny. When I googled his name a few weeks ago, I found a found I found a like what one of the Google hits was a transcript of one of our podcasts where I called him Kim Stanley Roberts.
Speaker 3: I know, every time I actually talk about in my mind always say Swiss Family, Robinson, Kim Stanley Robinson.
Speaker 1: But that's a empirical rap miracle.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yo, sorry, fever fever cooked my brain.
Speaker 1: But he he talks about how like in the years since the book, because the book does talk about regenerate agriculture. But he's like, I was a little bit skeptical that it was as big a deal as people were making it seem. He was like, I thought it might be kind of like AI, like this buzz where the people are throwing out I'm like, this is just the solution and we can like knock it out and ten exit and scale it. And he's like, no, it's you know, it's actually a real thing. But again it's it really is like a thing that I've heard him say multiple times. Is that like and he says it a couple of times in the book. Also, is that like profit is inherently predatory and is inherently going to like that that can't be the motive of a world that gets out of this problem.
Speaker 3: So, right's if that if that in any way is intersecting with what's presented to you as a solution. It is not. It's actually the problem and even as much. And we see this so much like in how we're presented products as consumers as a way to do your part, et cetera. When you do, you do a lot better. Is like if you fucking can find ways just to do things immediately around you. But yeah, it is. That's kind of what's interesting or that's that's why it makes it so daunting, is that it's like, Okay, so the way out of this is the opposite of this eventually. Yeah, but I think at a certain point there are too many people who are not benefiting from the current order of things that I guess our hope is that we can we just hit that critical mass where we're all realized like it's I think something has to be drastically different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take one more quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 3: We're back.
Speaker 1: And the Doc Brawl I have finally watched it after I said so quite at the beginning of the week, I had seen the fist fight in Major League Baseball, and then the Doc Brawl came up afterwards, and I was like, guys, why do we why are we so obsessed with all these fights, and it sounded like I was like, no big deal, Leaves, You're.
Speaker 3: Like, let's not I don't like.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah right right, So yeah, I chose the exact wrong moment to be like, enough with the fist fights, folks, guys, guys, when we just all love each other and be nice.
Speaker 1: But anyways, I've watched it from all the angles, all the all the key moments. The swimmer, the aquamane.
Speaker 12: School, sim Washington, Yeah, quill Ogile, so so many.
Speaker 1: The hat throw is just wonderful, the and the folding chair some things. So I went back and watched the argument that led to it, and the restraint from the the eventual hat thrower to not start throwing hands at the people as he's having this conversation is not to be overlooked.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of like when a an umpire is talking to like a baseball manager, and the baseball manager is just like wearing in their face and spitting on that and just doing and like the umpire just had like their point is just like very basic, like this boat needs to go right here and right He's just like pointing like this is a message that could be explained in five seconds to a five year old. But because you are drunk white boat people who have been in the sun all day, this is taking an hour. So just I want to shout out his restraint in the in the lead up to them then fully like you know, sucker punching him and gang tackling.
Speaker 3: That's why there's so many levels of Cathars as a black viewer too, where there's that restraint where you know you can't fully come for this fucking drunk asshole and you kind of got to take it and you're like, god, damn, I know that fucking patience. Then when the hands get to flying, it's the next level that the fucking portals open in the Avengers and people are like, we're fucking here and we're not gonna watch this shit happen because and like it's just so God, there's just so many layers to it, Like and we were saying with Nicole han or Nicole Hane Jones talking like she's like, you know, there's a history in Alabama, obviously, and there's obviously a history of racial spectacle, like violent spectacles where people have had to watch untold horrors happen to black people. At the hands of a white mob and there was just really nothing you could do because of the white supremacy that exists in our country. And to watch it all kind of coalesce into this like three acts Shakespearean like brawl is like, it's really it's really something I don't know, uh sekoy, how what you know? I know I see that I see the energy coming from you just from the mention of it. But yeah, did you where where are you at? With the video?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 4: This filled my spirit up so much. I have never felt so nourished as I did while watching this particular.
Speaker 1: Piece of content.
Speaker 4: It is so cathartic, Like you said, like we're watching the entire story arc, something that was captured from so many different angles. You're like, okay, that's how that started. Oh we got here, okay. But my favorite part of the video is when we've watched the crew get off the boat and the people are skipping up to.
Speaker 9: Is a threat.
Speaker 4: If you've never seen somebody skip to a fight, you take it as some light.
Speaker 3: If you know, you know that is a war threat. It's a warm up, a warm up moments. Was so giddy to be that moment where the boat gets close enough for the dock to the dock for them to disembark there, it's like almost like at the gate they're like, let me yeah, and that's the edge. Yeah. That was my my favorite commentary where the people watching like, oh here they go like yeah they knew. They're like, oh no, it's you fucked up. You fucked up, and you get bonus black points if you said or boo every time you punch connect bore taking me out.
Speaker 4: My god, it was somethime Washington with the commentary.
Speaker 3: Everything about it was so good.
Speaker 12: I have not seen a video that made me feel that good.
Speaker 3: It's so long. Yeah, and you know, I think there's something too like that I saw even pointing out on the route. Also. That's just like the reason I think too that it feels better is that like, luckily no one is pulling firearms out, no one died, because that would have been that would have been a complete different thing, would have been a whole other escalation and something that we kind of brace ourselves as Americans to be like, oh shit, there's a group violence, someone might start busting something from.
Speaker 9: Something, especially in the South.
Speaker 4: I'm shocked nobody had a firearm on them.
Speaker 3: Well, I was, and so based on like new police reports that came out, apparently one of those guys was throwing racial slurs at that doc worker and also said they were going to go get a gun too, according to one of the people that like they witnessed it, another person who was like working with the boat. But part of me, this is just a general warning to people. You have to know when someone is at their like wage job and you fuck with them, chances are they are there will be some kind of like collective response. Like having a shitty job is like being in the game, you know what I mean. Yea, when you got that shitty job, you're like, yo, mother, you are not like you'd be like, look at this motherfucking talking shit to him. Hold the fuck up. You are going to get a level of smoke return to you when you fuck with somebody at their job too. That's the other part. I was just like, they have done no analysis. They did not do the proper threat analysis with this.
Speaker 4: They did not have any context to have the proper threat analysis. If you've never seen somebody skip to a fight, you don't know that you're in grave danger when that happens. If you've never like had a wave job. Wait job, I don't know these people. Obviously they might have, but if you've never had that collective action spirit, you don't know that you fucking with this one person.
Speaker 1: This is a dog whistle.
Speaker 9: Everybody's on you right now, right.
Speaker 1: And there are definitely more people who have had shitty jobs than not like that. It's also, you know, people pointed out that like the structure of the video is people standing by watching and then joining in, and that's a big deal because like standing by and watching horrible shit happen is how I think a lot of people feel a lot of the time now, and so like that there's something cathartic of you know, that it starts as one of the things, one of those types of videos that we've seen so many times, and then the thing that doesn't usually happen finally happens where everybody is able to join in and there are more of us than there are of them, and a lot of these circumstances, but it just hasn't felt that way to this point, and I think, I don't know. I think it does a good job of driving at home.
Speaker 4: And I was fully prepared for the cops to not arrest any of the boaters, the initial voters, and I was I was still going to be like, Okay, I'm going to look at these black men that went to jail on this behalf as vigilantes and like, you know, right, But they went ahead and arrested all the right people too. You cannot have had a better video.
Speaker 3: Even the chair guy. The chair guy, they're like, look, we don't we don't have charges, but we need to talk to you man. We need to have to because you and you you fucking united. That poor woman with talking chair.
Speaker 4: That's why I started walking through my eyes. I was when I saw the chair commut I was like, oh, this might get a little bit more violent than.
Speaker 3: I'm Luckily it was plastic.
Speaker 1: Nobody was bleeding like it was like, okay.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite moments is when they're arresting the chair guy and then that white woman comes up in like the all white dress, and I don't know what she says to the cop, but the cop just like gives her a tiny shove and it's immediately revealed that she is way too day drunk to be in the situation, and like does the wobbliest fall on her ass that I've ever seen. Oh man, that's one of one of the great falls in the video.
Speaker 3: Some of the men jumping in the water to avoid the fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was all good.
Speaker 3: That was truly. You know. You can't sometimes your your ignorance does boom rang back to you. And I don't know what I saw this one. There was like one fucking someone made a TikTok parody video of like try that in twenty twenty three, Like I'm the fuck year you thought it was three? Yeah, yeah, no, no, no, no, no no, no. People are people. People got their eye on the prize and yeah, like I think if there's Jackie wrote in here about how people you know, pointed out that it is you know, this is this is Black August too, where a lot of significant things have happened in black history, including rebellions and Nat Turner rebellion, the birth of Marcus Garvey and Fred Hampton, Like this is another historical month in black history, and it's kind of like not to say that this is in line with that, but hey, things happened in August.
Speaker 1: The Root did a list there with this as the latest in a timeline that has Yeah, Fred Hampton's birth, the marsh on Washington, you know, the wats riots, the Ferguson protests beginning, and I kind of loved it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, anyway, just y'all, please just listen to people who are trying to keep you safe. You know, that's that's all this guy was trying to do. And then you had to go and get in your ugly racist bag and look what happened to you. Look what happened to you? Look at you? Yeah. So God, between between that and the Boston cop video, so so many healings video, oh man. And I thought Oppenheimer was the best thing I saw this fucking week. No, No, top top three movie that you saw this week? Top three movie I saw this week. In the last week, the doc Brawl, then Boston p D Cop slide, then Oppenheimer. Yeah, yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: And Oppenheimer deserves Oscar attention.
Speaker 3: But so does this. Yes, yes, yes, yes, we need we need this to be like just captured in like Renaissance like painting form, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Wow, what if Beyonce plays footage of it on her show? I would be astuley really excited. A different reaisance.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that yeah, that would be I don't know what effect that would have on the crowd, but it would have a fucking effect. When would she play that, you know what I mean? When could she like what song? Could she juxtapose that?
Speaker 1: And people like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: I don't know, you're like, oh ship, all right, that's gonna do it.
Speaker 1: For this week's weekly Zeitgeist, please like and review the show. If you like the show, UH means the world the miles he he needs your validation, folks. I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to him Monday.
Speaker 2: By Stinging st