Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Podcast, Welcome to and that's what you really missed originals. This is Jenna, Yes, yes it is, and this is Heaven and today is another competition.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's Regional's eight point zero.
Speaker 1: We've only done one Regionals prior to this, I know, and yet it feels like yes, number ten. Here we are, original.
Speaker 2: Song, original song. So I just want to set the scene a little bit. Yeah, because we obviously before we shoot an episode, we're getting sent the songs, the music, we're learning it, we're recording it. We're a dance rehearsal. So this episode features a bunch of a bunch of original songs and also was sort of a pilot in terms of a pilot program to see if we could put out original songs and what they do well. And loser like me was the one yes, and do you remember what we did, Jenna, We would we didn't like this song, that's correct, and we were all very concerned, very concerned. Ryan still approved every single dance number we did, so he'd have to come in at the end of dance rehearsal and watch his performance and give his notes. So he came in and we had decided to collectively sort of bring up how we were feeling about this song. And if you know Ryan, and he's in his creative mojo feeling positive mood, you don't do what we did. Yeah, would just be like, hey, we don't think this works, we don't think this is very good. And he sort of talked us off the ledge and also is like, well, it's not up to you. I didn't say that, but in so many words it's great. Yeah, he said, we're just try it and if it doesn't work, then we won't do it again. That sort of thing, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, I remember this now because it was scary.
Speaker 2: Very scary. We were just worried. But I have to say, in context with the episode, watching it today, yes, and thinking it is sixteen year olds writing this thing, Yeah, it makes a lot of sense. But I think in thinking about the song in terms of this is going to go to the world. People are going to listen to this.
Speaker 1: Honestly, we're doing bangers. We've been doing Don't Stop Believe and Somebody to Love, top forties, hits up on Hits Landslide. We did in the last episode. How do you then follow that with an original song that sounds like teenager singing writing a song, but then you do it on tour and people freaking loved it.
Speaker 2: Well it comes out, oh man, and then smashes it and debuts so high on the Billboard chart that we all literally had to put our foot in our mouths. We were so wrong in so many ways.
Speaker 1: We're like, oh, well, well we won't do that again.
Speaker 2: Happens. Yeah, we're gonna shut our mouth because let's go back to we're not paid to make the music, write the scripts. We're paid to perform.
Speaker 1: It and hired for that, where we would have been hired for that exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that was embarrassing. I mean, I was glad it was successful, but it was also like loops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was just different. It was different than we had anything we had done before. All eyes were on us. It was you know, there's like pressure now, different pressure than what we felt before.
Speaker 2: So that was our little mess up.
Speaker 1: There'll be more of those, don't worry, so definitely will be okay. So this is season two, episode sixteen, Original song. This is a competition episode. It aired on March fifteenth, twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Happy almost early Saint Patrick's Day.
Speaker 1: That's right, Kevin, Savor Holiday. The number one song was still born this way Lady Gaga, which is coming soon only.
Speaker 2: And I know we keep saying we don't remember a lot of these number one movies, but be honest, here, what is Battle Los Angeles?
Speaker 1: It's an alien invasion movie, Kevin. I'm just kidding. I didn't see it, and I don't know what it.
Speaker 2: Is, what like as Neo's in it? And a couple months ago, Jenna just shouted Neo.
Speaker 1: I don't it's confusing. I don't even I don't hold on. I got to google this now because I want to see the poster.
Speaker 2: While you google that. The Glee News On March sixteen, twenty eleven, there's this incredible thing that goes on every here called the Paileyfest where they bring in casts and creators of TV shows. And we got to do it and we were all there. It was you, Me, Ambernia, Heather, Chris Corey, Darren, Matt, Jane, Ryan, Ian Brad and Dante and there's clips online. There were about eighty of us on that stage and it was a great time and the fans are wild, you know, and you get to actually talk in depth about I mean it's mostly Ryan talking. We each get to like say a word because there's so many of us, but I think we'll get one question each. It was fun because we would always get like new nuggets of information on evenings like that from like Ryan brader Ian that would like reveal something we didn't know before or something that was coming or whatever. And I mean these were really for the fans, Pailey Fusts, so afterwards, like fans would bum rush bum rush the stage and come up and you'd meet them and sign autographs and stuff at the end. But I always enjoyed these Q and as.
Speaker 1: I love a Q and A.
Speaker 2: What have you found out about Battle Los Angeles?
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's a film Battle of Los Angeles, which I was like, no, that's not right. This is Battle Los Angeles. It's yeah, twenty eleven, and it's a marine staff sergeant that it's like a military signs fiction action film. Again, I couldn't wouldn't have told you, wouldn't have been able to recognize this. Never saw this poster.
Speaker 2: I need to see this poster. So Brad Beaker our favorite competition director. I don't know he ends up doing all the competitions. Editor Extraordinaire. He directed this episode, and.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of fun guest stars. We have Kathy Gaffin is in it, Luretta Devine, who we later will do RuPaul's Secret Celebrity drag race with Right Full Circle, and this, Oh my gosh, the highest number of songs featured in the series. Or this is the second highest number of songs featured in the series, the first being the pilot. This is eleven songs, but only nine were really released.
Speaker 2: I've never seen this Battle Los Angeles poster either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to this man. No offense to any of these people. It was number one movie, so great for them, like a video game cover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it was a video game at some point.
Speaker 2: I'll let it go.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, We've got Misery, only child, Blackbird, trouty Mouth, big ass Heart, helt in the Know, Jesus is my friend, Candles, raise your glass, get it right? Loser like me?
Speaker 2: Do you have a favorite of these original songs from this episode?
Speaker 1: O trouty Mouth has a special place in my heart, but Helton in the Know also has a special place in life. Yeah, I think trouty Mouth, the song, the context, the writing, the performances were all really great and ridiculous held in the no ambush performance just makes me giggle, giggle, giggle.
Speaker 2: Helps of the Know was like an actual banger, like an accidental banger.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: I think trouty Mouth was the one we all sang the most. Yes, we say that for the rest of the series.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, that's in our future a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Jenna tell us about this episode.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Okay, So the new Directions find out that they can't perform sing because Chemical Romance has sent them as season desist thanks to to Sylvester. Quinn wants to start her campaign for prom Queen and King with Finn, so she wants to keep her enemy Rachel close and Pavaratti the Warblers mascot bird passes away, and Kurt also speaks out to the Warblers about Blaine singing every solo. So Blaine and Kurt will perform a do at regionals.
Speaker 2: Regionals, is that a euphemism because they sure do?
Speaker 1: And it's also, yes, exactly a secret to hang out together. What is your favorite song, Kevin, out of all these.
Speaker 2: Or probably I think I feel the same way, probably choudy mouth and held to the know. I do have to say so fun fact, in this episode, Loser Like Me Adam Anders and Pure Astrom, who are both, you know, very big songwrision producers who did all of our music and are very successful outside of that as well, did Loser Like Me with the Max Martin Mecca and show back and seven.
Speaker 1: It makes me even more embarrassed that we were like this doesn't work, or this won't work, or we didn't like it initially when Max Martin wrote on this song like yeah, I'm embarrassed.
Speaker 2: And if you don't know Max Martin, I don't know. Max Martin is the biggest pop producer of Living under a Rock and he and seven, who is a huge songwriter. They wrote and produced What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction and dozens of other gigantic hits, and they all worked on this song. The song debut at number six.
Speaker 1: Geez, like, where were we wrong?
Speaker 2: It's our third top ten hits. It's absolutely insane. It reached number thirty six in the US Adult Pop charts, and it became the first Glee song other than a Christmas song to appear on that chart. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: That's wild. And then also, like we were talking about, I think in the last episode, I said that the Santana Brittany Army is so passionate that Trouty Mouth became by demand, was released on iTunes, it was not going to be like by popular demand. And then also Big Ass Heart as well. So these these original songs just kind of took off without even you know, no expectations. Yeah, okay, So these episodes all lead up to the big competition, and a lot of these episodes obviously contain the conflict of what we're going to perform or how we're going to perform if somebody else does it.
Speaker 2: So why are not nobody ready? Why are these decisions still being made the week of I.
Speaker 3: Mean literally days the day of sometimes and the teachers just like, yeah, write an original song.
Speaker 1: Right right right, and we're just like, yeah, we can offer absolutely So Rachel Rachel has previously written my Headband and has come up with Only Child, which Finn says is better than My Headband but still not quite there. And and My Chemical Romance has sent a season desist because Sue alerted the band of their battle with Peta and the.
Speaker 2: Drummer in ninety six. Luckily that's not true because the drummer would have been sixteen.
Speaker 1: Well, if it was, that would have been really bad.
Speaker 2: Then she corrected it with, ohay, what was the other band? Was it Jimmy Eat World or something?
Speaker 1: Yes, Jimmy Heat World even better. So Quinn is friending Rachel and keeping her enemies close because she needs Finn, wants to get back with Finn to run for Tom King and Queen and said, and so backs Rachel on the vote that we should do original songs at regionals, and everybody's kind of suspicious and surprised, and Santana also believes that everybody should get it a fair chance at writing an original song. So we're doing original songs and everybody this week is going to be presenting their potential choice songs, and Santana is clearly still very hurt over Brittany staying with Artie, but she kind of renegs on what she said, saying she was in love with her, and Santanna is very hurt and angry that Brittany blew her up or stumbles and the crubble pants yikes, yikes. And then Sue approaches them and it turns out that she put her in their lockers and there's dirt all over Santa Brittany and I would not have wanted to be in that scene. Absolutely not covered in dirt, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: But Brittany going, I don't even remember putting that in there? Do? I feel like that's an ad lib?
Speaker 1: Totally totally so good.
Speaker 4: All right, So we get into some original songs here we do, and I feel like this day all these were done back to back to back, and it was just sort of free form rock out get so much former song and Jenna on the keys.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that was embarrassing, and also I felt pressure because I didn't want to look stupid, but I also didn't like they didn't make me, like learn how to play piano. I don't play piano, by the way, but it was fun to said of the piano, something to do.
Speaker 2: For Tina, that's right, get her in that shot.
Speaker 1: And and Sam obviously is upset about all the jokes about his mouth, but in real life we always made jokes about courts big lips, his big lusher's lips, which it was all in good fun and love. Out of love, like I don't think are beautiful. Yeah, no, I don't think he care. Okay, so we obviously are not performing out of regionals. And then up in Axis Pac who didn't. Also this wasn't really intended to be performed at regionals, but he wrote a song for Lauren called the Guest Heart, which is kind of cringy and well definitely my tarty takes yeah.
Speaker 2: And then Mercedes does an actual banger banger like hell to the Note. I mean, obviously some of those Ian lyrics are insane, but they really worked that out that performance, the ad libs, the it all just works.
Speaker 1: It really does.
Speaker 2: It really does good.
Speaker 1: Mama said, get your ass out of bad. I said, they tried to take away my thoughts. I said, hell to the now. Oh man, it's I'm not trying to devout, but this show's got to stop out, so got to stop. So shout.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's really funny, it's really great. And then afterwards Will says, what's your favorite song of all time? And Brittany goes, my head band? What are all these songs about headbands?
Speaker 1: It's really funny? Okay, So Will is like, Okay, these songs are really funny and whatever, but they don't tap into pain and all really good hit songs are about pain or dealing with your pain, except am sorry, Oh God. And then we all kind of like randomly quote unquote start bringing tromming about what Sue's done to us, filling dirt in the lockers. My one line about Tina, you know, Sue calling the government saying Tina wanted to change her name to Tina Cohen loser, and mister She's like, well, here's our song there it is.
Speaker 2: Real quick he does.
Speaker 1: Oh. And then and then we get into the scene with Rachel and Quinn where they're going to write the song together right because Quinn has offered that her services, and they get into this very very good scene always love a Quinn Rachel scene about Finn and how she should just give up on him and she's gonna end up heartbroken and she doesn't belong here and when will you just get it right? And Rachel is found her inspiration for her song, so she writes, get it right.
Speaker 2: Nothing that heartbreak and betrayal to inspire you.
Speaker 1: I ain't nothing like it. And then we're regionals.
Speaker 2: Here we are We're at regionals, and the judges are Tammy Gene Albertson played by Kathy Griffin.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Chris was a huge and I think they became friends after this, Yes, of course absolutely, who else is Judges? Sorry I interrupted you.
Speaker 2: Sister Mary Constance through at a Divine a dream girl herself, and then Oral Intensity performs Jesus as My Friend and new Directions is very confused, but everybody loves it. Shout out to all of our friends in that number, Casey Joe in that one.
Speaker 1: And then the Warblers performed Candles. It's an interesting choice for a song for a regional song. Yeah, and Raise your Glass which becomes a very big hit as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: M I have like very distinct memories like having a break while the Warblers were on stage in our second tour and listening to Raise your Glass and I had to take a break from the song after for a while. I have to be honest.
Speaker 2: Oh I've taken a permanent break from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I kind of be honest. The Pink hits that everybody loves, I'm not a fan of as much her. It's her other songs on her albums that I'm obsessed with. And also she's the best performer live performer, and she's my favorite tour I've ever been to. Everybody says, just I'm just saying, it's really it's something else, Okay, I digress new directions, perform, get it right, and lose her like me. I'd also like to point out that we are not in heels. We're not in kypezio heels anymore. In dresses. We are in Doc Martins because we requested them because we did not want to dance in heels at our regionals anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh smart, good for you, and they remember that.
Speaker 1: I mean, the amount of complaining that we did in those heels. The wardrobe was probably like Tulou, like, hey, don't put them in heels anymore. We don't want to hear it.
Speaker 2: They're long, long days. It's insane to have that many people in heels.
Speaker 1: It's where I got my back injury from. Was like all the pounding of running in heels on those bleachers all the time. Anyway, we will return to the heels. But I'm so glad that we had these Doc Martins. It's weird. It was a weird choice, but whatever, because there was like sequence on our dresses, but then we had Doc Martins. I don't know, it felt like something Gina would wear anyway, So yeah.
Speaker 2: It definitely worked for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so everybody loves Loser like me, even kurts up on his feet.
Speaker 1: And then we slushy in the audience.
Speaker 2: A little meta slushy confetti. Did that on tour as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did with paper confetti. I remember always like carrying those cups out on tour and like it's spilling.
Speaker 2: I don't remember. Did somebody maybe somebody carried mine?
Speaker 1: I thought you put it in your lap?
Speaker 2: Did I know?
Speaker 1: We'll have to go back and get some videos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the brain is not great. I do love the judges scenes always, Kathy and Loretta going at it was pretty great. And Kathy being this sort of tea party Sarah palin ish m character was pretty great. Oh my god, Rod about his gay hairdresser.
Speaker 1: I it's really really good it I think it. It hits a tarty take for me. So spoiler new directions win. Finally we are going to Nationals.
Speaker 2: Does does it feel a little anti climactic to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But again I think they all do, and I think it's just because they were so climactic to us on set that they don't read the same.
Speaker 2: They're edited very quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean you'd be standing there shooting that scene for god, how how long? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you remember Sue coming out and punching that woman? Yes, again, I.
Speaker 1: Mean one time. I think the first time we shot it, I thought it was real.
Speaker 2: I mean it looked great on camera too.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: So the other thing again going on, not to leave these things for the last thing always, but after you know, new directions, wins and all that, and Rachel gets MVP and it's an emotional scene and it's sweet. There's the whole Curt and Blaine relationship going on where Paveratti dies and Kurt's care and he shows up dressed in black and decides to perform Blackbird, and the Warblers just happen to jump in with some backgrounds and it's a beautiful number. And then Kurt sort of has just had it with the with Blaine and the Pips where he feels like anything Blaine wants to do goes. No one else gets to sing, and Blaine sort of hears him, and so when they go to come up with the vote on the regional set list, Blaine stands up and says, I think we should do a duet and everyone's like, what, no, and then he says it, and then he'said, no, I think it would be good, and they all agree, and then he appoints Kurt as his duet partner, and then the d a duet and it's really cute and then they have one of the best first kisses and TV history. Articles were written about how there was no true controversy over the first kiss only celebration and how far TV and pop culture had come right in the Atlantic, they wrote about it. So after the competition, Blaine says, Kurt, there is a moment when you say to yourself, oh, there you are. I've been looking for you for forever, watching you blackbird this week. That was the moment for me about you. You move me, Kurt. And then he says how getting to do a duet with him was just an excuse to spend more time with him. Oh, and then they kiss. Oh oh, and it's beautiful. Is finally kiss on network TV.
Speaker 1: It's pretty crazy. I don't think at the time I realized how impactful that was going to be until it happened. Like I'm sure for Chris and Darren is they could. They had time to think about it and could tell, and I'm for Ryan talked to them, but like just like you're like, oh yeah, cool. Another two characters get together, right and kiss. But I think the only other kiss gay kiss on TV at the time was Dawson's Creek with Jack and I think this was I don't think it was until after it air that I realized how massiveness was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did clock that it was going to be as a consumer of like all things gay secretly back then, right, I knew like on paper that it would be a big deal, but it's hard to be able when you're inside of it. For us, because it wasn't our characters doing it, it was sort of hard to, I think, feel it. I'm sure Darren and Chris felt it on social media and when they went in public and things, but it was sort of hard to gauge, like we need to be a big deal yet, but you can't necessarily feel it because you're It's easier to realize that now watching it this many years removed like a lot of things that we talked about, right, But even watching it then you're like, oh, yeah, these are our friends, right, so there's just two other characters. We're all doing crazy stuff. Every week, but it was important, and I think it was important that it was earned, you know, just like Santana and Britney store line that is still going right.
Speaker 1: Now and falling in love immediately and expecting like you know, yeah, well, I'm glad that happened. I'm grateful for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I also have to say Brad Beaker did a great job directing this. There's there were a couple times in this episode was like, oh, it's a beautiful shot. Yeah, some really beautiful moments. One of them when Leah is standing at the mirror getting ready and Corey comes up behind her before the competition and she's like, last time we were here, you told me you loved me. It's beautifully lit and beautifully shot. I loved it.
Speaker 1: That one too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's good to some TARTI takes Jenna, Oh my gosh, let's do it, okay, Alchiez cringe moments.
Speaker 2: I mean, stumblest crippled pants isn't a great moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the judges were not. While some of it was very funny, some of it was not super.
Speaker 2: That's always the dudges are always a safe place to go for her.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, Auchi's yeah. I think it was intentionally Auchi to begin with oh yeah, best dance move, oh Man, held to the no Yeah, help to the no, best song.
Speaker 2: Ooh, croudy mouth.
Speaker 1: I'll go with help to.
Speaker 3: The know, best performance by a prop Parati Pavaratti's casket. All they go together.
Speaker 2: This sushies are good too, Okay, you know.
Speaker 1: The best line. I'm going with Rod Remington. My hairdresser is is gay? Okay he says, yes, my hairdresser is a gay is the good and for fifteen years he's been with his partner, also a hairdresser. I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to marry and raise a family.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's really great.
Speaker 2: It's really beautiful. I also like Quinn's line of prom queens live on average five years longer than regular people. It's pretty great to performance MVP Jenna oh Man, this is a tough one.
Speaker 1: This is a tough one. I'm going with Kurt. I'm going with Kurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think so. I think Kurt or Rachel.
Speaker 6: But she's got that speech at the end.
Speaker 1: Quinn, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I like that one.
Speaker 2: Okay. Shit we found on TikTok tell me. Look, I know last episode we did something about Taylor Swift, but this episode we're also doing something about Taylor Swift. And this is by our girl, Alexa. Oh yay unofficial dot oh god, I don't know how to pronounce your last name. Pascucci Piscucci. There you go, heka Piscucci Italian.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: She posted a TikTok and said I would just like to thank Taylor Swift for not releasing When Emma Falls in Love until now, so that I didn't have to hear mister Shoes sing it about miss Pillsbury falling in love with John Stamos ugly and she's sitting in her car listening to it.
Speaker 1: That's really funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very good.
Speaker 1: You know that song is supposedly about Emma Stone.
Speaker 2: That's what I heard too.
Speaker 1: I love that my daughter's name is in a song.
Speaker 2: That's right. How cute. Thanks Alexa for that. Yeah, thank you, thank you, hill Air.
Speaker 1: Very funny. That is the show. And next week Gwyneth Paltrow is back. And also I do a stunning rendition of I Follow Rivers, so make sure you tune in.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right. I need more of that attitude from you. We'll talk about yourself.
Speaker 1: Wuff wuff wuff. No, okay, we're going to talk about it. We're going to get into it.
Speaker 2: I know, I know it's the sore spot for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, come back next week.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, and That's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and That's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.