Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: The latest fear centers on one of China's largest private wealth managers. It has now missed payments on multiple high yield products. Bloomberg Daybreak Asia anchor Brian Curtis has the details from Hong Kong.
Speaker 4: Three firms said they failed to receive payments on products issued by companies linked to Junjer Enterprise Group. The group manages about one hundred and forty billion dollars worth of assets. The missed payments are likely to raise concerns over China's trust industry. Firms there pool household savings to offer loans and to invest in real estate stocks, as well as bonds and commodities. The trust industry was once seen as safe, but is now a growing concern in On Kong. Brian Curtis Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Daybreak, All right, Brian, thank you. On. One of China's largest property developers remains in the hot seat this morning. Shares of Country Garden are falling for a seventh straight day. The crisis at the company is deepening after units halted trading of local bonds. The situation at Country Garden underscores the challenges China faces and containing a property debt crisis.
Speaker 3: And concerns on growth in China are wearing their ugly head as well, Karen. On Friday, we learned that Chinese banks extended the smallest amount of monthly loans since two thousand and nine. That news rippled through markets overnight. Bloomberg's Jill Deesis in Hong Kong says the data paint a grim picture.
Speaker 5: It's that loan data that was absolutely horrific for China. You know, talk to a few analysts about this. Had some suggestion that really it's that household data as well. I mean, net household loans were incredibly poor, indicating that a lot of people are spending time repaying their mortgages. I mean, it's just another indicator along with that really bad deflation data that we had last week, that right now demand is incredibly weak in this economy, and you have to see how that's going to move forward.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Jill Deesis reports there's also hedge fund news weighing on China this morning. The number of active hedge funds focused on the country has slipped for the first time in more than ten years. Only five new funds launched in the first half of this year, while eighteen were liquidated.
Speaker 2: Well Staying in China now Nathan Tesla rolling out a new round of price cuts in the country. The automaker reduce the price of the top end versions of its model y Suv. The Tesla cuts scent Chinese auto stocks tumbling on concerns of another price.
Speaker 3: War with Tesla's owner. Elon Musk, is making news on another front this morning, Karen. There has been talk of a possible cage fight between Musk and Mark Zuckerberg, but now the Meta platform ceo says it's time to move on. Bloomberg's Ed Baxter has the story.
Speaker 6: The Meta ceo seems seriously up to his neck in disgust, leading to the question was this ever more than just an Elon Musk trolling expedition quote. If Elon ever gets serious about a real date and official event, he knows how to reach me. Otherwise, time to move on. He says he will focus on competing with people who take the sport seriously. Musk has not said much since he reported he had neck issues in San Francisco. I'm at Baxter, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: All right, ed, thank you. What we want to update you now on those devastating wildfires in Hawaii. They're now the deadliest in the United States in more than one hundred years. At least ninety six people have died on the island of Maui, and that figure is expected to rise as rescue efforts continue. Hawaii Governor Josh Green also says monetary losses are estimated to be in the billions of dollars.
Speaker 7: Twenty two hundred structures have been destroyed or damaged. Eighty six percent are residential. In Kula, five hundred and forty four structures have been exposed and ninety six percent were residential. The losses approached six billion dollars in estimate.
Speaker 2: In Hawaii, Governor Josh Green says the cause of the wildfires remains under investigation.
Speaker 3: And while officials continue to tally the economic impact of those fires. Karen, we're getting a new call on the US economy from Goldman Sachs. The firm predicts the Fed will start lowering interest rates by the end of June. Bloomberg Markets reporter Valerie titel More.
Speaker 8: Now, the interesting thing about this Goldman note is their call for cuts isn't necessarily alongside a bearish view on US economic growth. It's all just about the FED wanting to normalize rates because inflation is falling back to target, right. And I think what prompted this call from Goldman was that week inflation print we got last week where we saw the month on month figures really just being a second month in a row in line with the Fed's target only rising point two percent month on month, which you be annualize that it gets us to the Fed's two percent goal.
Speaker 3: And Bloemberg Stalary Titel says Goldman sees the FED cutting rates by a quarter percent next summer.
Speaker 2: Nathan Shares a US Steal surging more than twenty two percent this morning. The company rejecting a takeover offer from rival Cleveland Cliffs, and we'll begin to rig you of its strategic options instead. He offers value US steal at about seven and a quarter billion dollars.
Speaker 3: On the flip side, Karen shares of AMC Entertainment are down more than twenty five percent. The movie theater operators one quart approval for advised stock conversion plan. At the same time, AMC preferred shares ticker APE are up more than thirty percent.
Speaker 2: It's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Amy Morris Samy. Good morning, Good morning, Kieren.
Speaker 9: Atlanta is bracing for some legal chaos this week. The district attorney is expected to present a case against Donald Trump to the grand jury as soon as this week. Several witnesses have been subpoened, including former Lieutenant Governor Jeff Duncan and independent and journalist George Chety. They both say they will testify, and Gabe Sterling is a top deputy with the Secretary of State.
Speaker 2: If I am called, when I am called, I will go and do it before I will tell the truth.
Speaker 9: Sterling says, the truth is the state counted the ballots three times and the end result is Donald Trump did not win in Georgia. He is accused of pressuring state officials into reversing the election results. Streets around the courthouse in Fulton County are closed. Armed Sheriff's deputies are patrolling the area around the clock, and security measures are being taken at the Georgia State capital as well. The top Democrat on the House Oversight Committee. Meanwhile, says he wants Congress to stay out of the Justice Department's business.
Speaker 2: This is why we have a justice system.
Speaker 10: Let's just let them do their job.
Speaker 9: He was speaking on ABC's This Week. Maryland Congressman Jamie Raskin referring to David Weiss being named special counsel and the Hunter Biden case. Raskin criticized Republicans who called for a special prosecutor and then complained when Attorney General Merrit Garland named Weiss. The Trump appointed US Attorney for Delaware was already in charge of the case before a plea de plea deal fell apart. A political science professor says mainstream support in the US for political violence is actually on the rise.
Speaker 2: It's not just.
Speaker 11: About oath keepers proud boys.
Speaker 3: It is now breaching into the mainstream, and we're seeing the consequences of that.
Speaker 9: University of Chicago professor Robert Pate tells CBS's Face the Nation he conducted a survey in which nearly fifty million Americans believe the use of force is justified regarding a second Trump presidency. President Biden is leading an administration wide effort to mark the first anniversary of the Inflation Reduction Act. The President will travel to Wisconsin tomorrow and host an event at the White House on Wednesday. Democrats are counting on the landmark Climate and Drug pricing bill to fuel the president's re election. Bid Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts in more than one hundred twenty countries. I'm Amy Morris, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Karen.
Speaker 2: All right, Amy, thank you. It is five oh nine on Wall Street Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update. For now we bring in Dan Schwartzman.
Speaker 1: Dan, good morning, Good morning, Karen.
Speaker 12: The Dodgers have now won eight straight games.
Speaker 13: They knock off the Rockies eight to three, locally, the Red Sox doubling up the Tigers six to three, the Nationals sneaking past the open A's eight to seven. It was the Yankees losing to the Marlins eight to seven, New York leading that game in fact seven to two in the eighth inning. Meanwhile, as the Giant slippm pass Rangers in ten innings three to two, Oriels in ten knocking off the Marlins five to three. Cedric Mullins hitting a game winning two run home run in that tenth inning, and it was the Mets holding on to knock off the Braves seven to six. NFL preseason Action four teams getting their preseason schedules underway, the Chiefs losing to the Saints in New Orleans twenty six to twenty four, as the Raiders all over the forty nine ers at home thirty four to seven.
Speaker 12: At the FedEx Saint Jude Championship in Memphis, Tennessee, it was Lucas Glover winning it in a playoff.
Speaker 9: Got a chance, oh sends the edge.
Speaker 6: And Lucas Glover goes pick to back including they open a leg for the FedEx Cup playoffs.
Speaker 12: That's courtesy of the Golf Channel. Glover wins it on the first hole of the playoff over Patrick Can'tley. Both finish at fifteen under Rory McElroy, Tommy Fleetwood both at fourteen under Taylor Moore comes in at twelve under. Jalen Brunson goes nine for nine from the field. He leaves a US Men's World Cup Basketball team to exhibition win over Spain, and by the way, he's the number one team in the world ninety eight to eighty eight. That's your Bloomberg Sports Update.
Speaker 13: I'm Dan Schwartzman.
Speaker 11: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on SYRIASXAM, the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning.
Speaker 3: I'm Nathan Hager. We're watching stocks move modestly higher this morning, with China making moves to deal with its worsening property slump, but concerns about the Chinese economy on a number of fronts could spark concern for investors. This morning, let's get you set up for the trading week ahead. We're joined by Dennis Gardman, now former publisher of the Gartment Letter, now chairman of the University of Akron Endowment Investment Committee. Dennis, it's good to speak with you this morning. We got the news late last week that private loans out of China had dropped to a more than decade low. Now we've got renewed concerns about the property sector. This word of missed payments by one of China's largest private wealth managers. Is there a read through for the slump that we're seeing in China to the broader global market.
Speaker 10: One would think that there would be one after another. We're seeing one more problem after another. The trusts, the commercial property area in China, the banks are having problems, the individuals seem to be having problems. It's one problem after another, and I think that this should have some believe through here in the United States. It's been about a month and a month, almost a month and a half since we've seen a new high in the Nasdaq. It's been about a month since we've seen a new high in the Dow. It's been about a month and a half since we've seen a new high in the S and P. We seem to be breaking trend lines along the way Timeshall tell I've been relatively bearish of the stock markets here in the United States and globally for quite some period of time. We'll see if that becomes if that comes to fruition. But I think that the Chinese problems are now on the front pages of the newspapers, on the front desk, so everybody of every investment manager, and I think it's going to become far more important over the course of the next several weeks. So yes, I think this is an important circumstance.
Speaker 3: It made the front pages late last week when President Biden was at a fundraiser he called the Chinese economy a ticking time bomb. How would you characterize the Chinese economy right now?
Speaker 10: I think that's probably a little bit too fighting, But nonetheless it is disconcerting. Let's use that term rather than a time bomb. It's disconcerting to see one problem after another come to the front pages of the newspapers.
Speaker 3: Time shall tell, well, what could the potential read through look like if the situation does get worse in China, if we don't see the kind of stimulus that it seems like the market is pushing for from the People's Bank of China, how could that redound to the US market?
Speaker 10: I think it's I think it shall be deleterious to the US market, no question about it. I doubt it's going to be terribly deleterious, but I think it'll be. I think it takes some of the bullish enthusiasm. I my own expectations that it takes a great good deal of the bullish enthusiasm out of the US market. That will be talk about the United States moving to easing monetary policy. That'll come to the front pages of the newspapers again. I think that that's ill advised. I think it's going to I think the Fed has made it a bundally clear that it shall be a long time into the future, probably late into twenty twenty four before any sign of easing the Fed funds RATEED comes to fruition. So I think it'll I think it'll red down to the United States. I think it redouns deletediously, but not dramatically so well.
Speaker 3: We did get a headline last night from an economist to Goldman Sachs pricing in the first rate cut from the Federal Reserve by the end of June of next year. It sounds like you think that might be a little too soon.
Speaker 10: I think that's a little too soon. I think it'll be late into twenty twenty four at the best. The Fed has been a bundally clear, Mister Powla has been a bunch clear that it's higher for longer and for a long, much longer period of time. I think it's late into twenty twenty four before we see any sign of a lower Fed funds rate. But I think the five and a half percent is probably as high as they want the Fed Funds rate to go. I think we've probably seen our last increase, but it'll be a long time before we see a decrease in the Fed funds rate.
Speaker 3: Well, where do you see bond yields going from here? If that scenario pans out. We've got the ten year right around four point one five. It's been hovering around four for quite some time. We heard Bill Gross late last week calling for four and a half. Is that possible?
Speaker 10: It's possible, I think it's highly unlikely. I think the most important thing is that we're going to see a d inverting of the yield curve. The twos tens have gotten over one hundred basis points now, I think it's about seventy two seventy four to seventy five basis points, and I think over the course of the next year or so, we see a dis inversion of the curve, but not a dramatic one. I think you're going to take the twos ten. It's probably closer to twenty five to fifty basis points over the course of the next six months to a year, and it's that rates at the back end come up rather than rates at the front end coming lower.
Speaker 3: Does that mean that you're thinking that the FED could pull off a soft landing?
Speaker 10: That is the question, isn't it. I think there's a greater probability that it will be a less than harsh landing. Let's put it that way. If it's a soft landing, the congratulations to the FED. It's a very difficult task. I think it'll be less than a hard landing, Let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time, on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 1: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app. Serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg Daybreak