Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's Bill Courtney with an army of normal folks. And we continue with part two of our conversation with Amy Crenshaw right after these brief messages from our generous sponsors. All right, so day one you open, you shared a death. How do people in the community even know? How do the homeless know? And how do the non homeless know what the world's going on? It's a community cafe, but how does everybody know? I guess you have to walk in and figure it.
Speaker 2: Out, you do. You kind of had to walk in and figure it out. Now, there were.
Speaker 1: People, I mean, I guess I'm I'm imagine some lawyer walking in and right behind them some homeless dude and they both had to been looking at each other like what's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, at that time we had I had the sweetest little old lady and no kidding, she was old. She was probably I'm thinking she was like eighty five. She was a friend's grandmother that came and volunteered to be our greeter. So she had this whole little thing and it said, hey, welcome to community cafe. And she'd say, do you know anything about us? And they'd say no, and she'd say, well, we're a nonprofit, donation based cafe. We believe everybody's entitled to great, healthy food. So what that means is, if you can't afford a meal, come on in. Volunteer for anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour, and then you come around the counter and you order your lunch, just like everybody else's ordering their lunch. Come in, have a seat.
Speaker 1: Oh, and volunteer first.
Speaker 2: Right right, Ah, there's there's a caveat to that. You know, a lot of times if somebody comes in and says I'm starving or I'm freezing to death, I always feed them.
Speaker 1: But the idea is volunteer first.
Speaker 2: Volunteer first, because we've actually had a couple of people walk out, you know, after they've eaten. So volunteer.
Speaker 1: And does that make you angry?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Not, Why wouldn't it You know, I don't mean angry for you. Yeah, it may. It would make me angry that they're taking from other people. You need it now.
Speaker 2: It makes me, yes, it's righteous angry. It makes me angry for the fellow person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on the street, that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: The person that sleeps in the next to them makes it's exactly.
Speaker 1: It does unbelievable selfishness to people who are trying to help you.
Speaker 2: Right, And because I have no social background, it has taken me, and I learned something every day. It has taken me a lot of time to learn what the right responses are to that. It has taken Would you ban him? We? Well, I was just getting ray. We've banned a couple people. Should Yes, we absolutely have banned a couple people. I can only think of four in the nine years that we banned. And I have one little fellow that calls me mama and he'll come in and he actually pulled a knife on somebody, So I have banned him for life.
Speaker 1: He pulled a knife.
Speaker 2: I don't think he really Yeah, was.
Speaker 1: He cutting up of salisbury steak?
Speaker 2: No, he just went in the kitchen and yeah, got a knife, and yeah, I be mad at one of our other volunteers.
Speaker 1: Part of what we have to talk about is not only these folks homeless, A lot of them probably have been at Oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, And he definitely does and calls me mama, and I'll see him out on the street and go, Mama, can I come to work today? I promise I'll behave and you know, I'll kill him. Come on in and I'll get you something to drink. You know, I'll get you a hot cup of coffee or you know whatever. So and we usually I'll send him out with the soup or something like that. We really try real hard, and I can't think of I really can't think of anybody that we have actually turned away with nothing.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing. You've got to have enough people coming in that are paying above to cover the people that we're talking about right now. And you know, I guess this is the I would say, the realist in me. But also, unfortunately, when you're in business for thirty years and everything else, you've seen, you've seen some of the greatest of the humanity, but you've seen some of the worst. And I just I'm envisioning how many people are out there that are working every day. I mean, let's be honest, there's a stigma around the homeless. They're stinky, they're lazy, they're mentally sick, they want something for nothing. And again I'm saying the stigma right what I'm repeating absolutely, and when I'm working and paying my bills and taking care of my kids and build my house, note, Why do I want to take my one hour of lunch break to go sit down and eat with people who I feel that way about?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So how does that work? How do you how do you get those people to do that?
Speaker 2: And how do they come in or why do they come back every day we have?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how does that work?
Speaker 2: Well, you need to come see the cafe.
Speaker 1: Well I can't, neither can everybody else listen, So you've got to tell them.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to tell you when we decide.
Speaker 1: Oh I can, I will come see the cafe. But you need to but all the thousands of people and sisters.
Speaker 2: Right, So what I'm going to tell you is that people will walk in the door. I had one guy who is a local singer. He does a lot in Europe, and he walked in one day. His wife brought him in or said, you know, you need to go in. His wife lives in Jackson. They live in Jackson, and he walked in and he got teary eyed and he said, did I take a wrong turn? Are we in Jackson, Tennessee?
Speaker 1: That's what I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's not because I mean, I'm sixty three years old, so I'm not the hippus of people, you know, but it has got It's just it's a happy place. There's glass on two sides up front. Our logo at the bottom says to love, to feed, to dignify. It's bright, it's white. I've got great artwork. And one of the things that I said was I want people to feel like they're coming and having lunch or dinner at my house. So we will have glasses on the table, we will have salt and pepper shakers on the table. We'll eat on real plates, we'll have real forks, we'll have our lat weear wrapped in a napkin, you know, and just we'll have flowers or plants on the table, and we're gonna treat them like they're at home or at my house.
Speaker 1: I get it. That still doesn't answer how a guy in a suit and tie that's attorney downtown, YEP, wants to go to a place where he's gonna sit next to some.
Speaker 2: Homeless And you know what the really amazing thing is is that we've got six tables that are almost this length. We call them our community table.
Speaker 1: This length is probably eighteen people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, that's right, you mean the people listening can't see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're at a large conference room table that's five feet wide eighteen feet Yes.
Speaker 2: So we've got five or six community tables that my husband built. We've got gorgeous furniture in there, handmade. My husband actually made all the tables in there, yep. And those tables fill up. We do also have some tables that are four tops that also fill up.
Speaker 1: But the point is the community tables fill up with homeless and non homeless eating right there together. That is so amazing, people know.
Speaker 2: I mean, the name of the cafe community came from coming to unity, and that was one of the things that we set out to be, was a bridge in the community between for lack of better words, the haves and the have nots, or you know, the Christian and the Muslim, the you know.
Speaker 1: Black and white, black and white, the Asian and Ethiopia Asian.
Speaker 2: I mean whatever, you know, different groups of people you can think of, and and it works, it really does. I mean my our regular customers, and when I say regular customers, I mean almost every day. We have one elderly couple that she had to drag her husband in, but I told her, I said, if you can drag him in, and this has probably been seven years ago. Said if you can drag him in, I'll feed him and he'll like our food.
Speaker 1: Tell me why didn't want to come, because no.
Speaker 2: He didn't want that healthy food.
Speaker 1: Oh, he didn't want that healthy food. He wanted fried chicken. This is the that's right. Yeah, okay, So anyway, she drug him in.
Speaker 2: She drug him in. He's been there every day since she went through a spell of cancer and was up at Vanderbilt for probably six or eight weeks. He still came in every day. The daughter was up there with the mom, and he came in every day and ate lunch with us.
Speaker 1: How many people a day are you serving? And what are your hours?
Speaker 2: We're only opened Monday through Friday eleven to two. We start taking volunteers, so you're open.
Speaker 1: It's lunch lunch, that's it.
Speaker 2: We used to do a brunch on Saturdays and that kind of went by the wayside. Just we have a real small staff, and it was wearing them.
Speaker 1: It makes sense. Yes, is your staff also your children? I bet your family works.
Speaker 2: There, right, They will volunteer there, So that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: They're all in and out.
Speaker 2: And when they were little you know ten years ago when we were starting to open the place. I mean they were down there with me, you know, putting in the Uree said yes, yes, I mean we we we stripped the floors in there. You know, we had this big old Sander thing, you knowing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how many people do you serve?
Speaker 2: So we serve between you know, it was really weird there for a while. Seventy was a busy day when we first opened. It was one hundred and twenty a day, easy for year and a half, two years. Then I kind of think we weren't the new kid on the block any Yeah, yeah, we weren't the new kid on the block anymore. We are back to serving. Seventy is kind of a slow day. Yeah, it's more like eighty five to ninety five.
Speaker 1: Okay, well let's just say let's say eighty Okay, how many of the eighty I'm calling them. There's three tiers. There's the I got no money and got a volunteer tier. That's tier one. Tier two is I got some money, but not enough to help out anybody else. And then you got tier three, which is I'm gonna buy my food and pay over right, what percent is one two and three.
Speaker 2: Well, one percent has stayed. It's the craziest thing because it has been across the years. Twelve to fifteen percent.
Speaker 1: Twelve to fifteen percent of.
Speaker 2: Our customers are customers that are working exclusively for their meal, volunteering for their meal.
Speaker 1: And number two is I can only afford mind barely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's not a huge number. I mean, I will have somebody come in and go, I've only got four dollars and I'm like, okay, order whatever you five percent?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So you're telling me about eighty percent of the people that eat in this place pay.
Speaker 2: Over their They pay at least And you know, when we were when we first opened, people were very generous. And I'm not saying they're not generous now.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: They would.
Speaker 2: It was kind of a new thing, and it was kind of like, Okay, here's an extra five bucks or here's an extra ten bucks. Most of the time now it is they will order two items, which we have a suggested donation because we just let people prices. We don't have prices on the menu, so people usually stand there and kind of look, I have no clue what to do here, and we'd go, well, we had we do have a suggested donation if you'd like to know what that is. It's seven dollars for one item, whether it be soup, salad, or sandwich, even though we all know that it doesn't cost seven dollars to make a bowl of soup. But you know, on the other hand, you get our sandwich, which we use Boar said, Deli meat, which is the best of the.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, so one item seven dollars. Two items whether it be soup, salad or same it's salad is nine dollars, and three items is eleven dollars and that includes a beverage.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you that's cheap.
Speaker 2: It's cheap. And we've only raised our suggested donation one time. That one time. Yeah, we have worked really really hard during the last you know, two years to keep keep our costs, you know, at our donation prices.
Speaker 1: My expectation would be then that you'd get the underserved. The fifteen underserved must revere this place, I mean, they must really appreciate its existence.
Speaker 2: I think they really do. I think they really do. And like I said, we've had a couple that have, you know, come in and tried to take advantage of the situation. And we have one.
Speaker 1: Any anything you do to help out disadvanced communities, there's always going to be exactly an issue here and there. It's it's it's an parent to that kind of work. But if you let a couple of small issues interrupt the work you're doing for a much bigger issue, well, I mean that's expected. Yep, and move on, yep, get over it. Yep.
Speaker 2: And you know, at first, we really required people, even if they could only give us ten minutes or so, we basically required them to come in and show, you know, some effort in volunteering. We also have gotten to know that clientele. And like we have one elderly gentleman that comes in and he doesn't eat much anyways, and he'll come in and we see him coming and we'll, you know, my the chef will automatically just wrap up a sandwich for him and hand it to him. You know, there's just some out there that are not capable of working.
Speaker 1: Do you, boy, This may be a charged question, but I you know, just my just human. Do you ever worry that you're fostering in some people an unhealthy sense of entitlement to free food? No?
Speaker 2: I don't, because we don't do it that very often, and we do. I mean, you know of the twelve to fifteen percent, probably not even you know of the twelve to fifteen percent that come in and volunteer for that meal their meal, only one or two of them a week is actually a meal that we just hand out.
Speaker 1: That's phenomenal. And you know what, that's.
Speaker 2: Everybody's Yes, everybody's willing to work. I have a gentleman in a wheelchair. We've had several people in wheelchairs.
Speaker 1: People in wheelchairs. How does that work?
Speaker 2: It does, believe me, they have their wheelchairs. Well, they may be they may be not truly homeless, they may be is way sure right, and they'll come in and they all insist that they can do something. So we have order cards. We are real simple. We have an order card that is laminated and we purposely have kept those order cards because it creates a job for some of those that want to do something but aren't able to do any more than that.
Speaker 1: Well, then the flip side of the entitlement thing, which is the negative side that you could see, the positive side that you can see is it gives somebody a sense of dignity to be able to earn their food rather than stand in the line with a handout, which exactly the vast majority of people I found, they really don't want to do that. No, you're right, And this way they feel dignified it and what they're doing.
Speaker 2: And again that's in our logo to love, to feed, to dignify. And most of them will tell you that one of the reasons they keep coming back is one. They'll tell you it keeps me out of trouble. I'm off the street and the food's good, and the food's great. That's usually number one. The food's great, it keeps me off the street. And three, almost all of them have said at one time or another, it lets me give back to the community that is given to me.
Speaker 1: That is awesome. Yeah, and don't you think just a little bit of it is is to be able to go into a restaurant and be surrounded by people that treat them kindly as human beings is uplifting for their soul.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: They don't feel like losers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I will say I have never seen anybody, if anything, our paying customers have they They care more about the people that are coming to volunteer. If one of our volunteers hasn't shown up for a while. Somebody will come up to me and say, hey, what happened to Joe Wow? Or Hey what happened to so and so?
Speaker 1: Fun?
Speaker 2: They want to know what it really is?
Speaker 1: A community?
Speaker 2: It is a community.
Speaker 1: It is We'll be right back. I've hit on it a couple of times and and and I think it's I think candidly it's it's maybe because maybe I'm jaded about it, but you know, I continue to have this image of a banker and a suit, uh, and a lawyer and maybe an architect or people who we are, a doctor or nurse or someone we would think more from a professional setting sitting at a community table with some local homeless and how odd that really is. And when I when I, when I think a little more deeply about that, for more of a thirty thousand foot view, that is, uh, that's exactly what we really have become socially is polarized. Is that you know, the idea of a community where the blue collar, the white collar, and the middle income all go to school together and do things together politically, socially, religiously, we've just become so clannish and so polarized and so separated that it's just hard for me to even imagine this eclectic group of people sitting around eating lunch at community cafe. I think it's beautiful, but I guess, I guess I've been conditioned to think that that's just not something that would normally happen. Yet you're proving it is, and I just can't help but wonder. You're obviously very smart, and you have a worldview. You have children from three different continents. I've heard you say you're a Christian, but I've also heard you say that doesn't matter in the big scheme of things to who each of the cafe, So you obviously have a large worldview. What do you think it's us about your little cafe in Jackson, Tennessee, and who's dining together? And how a typical that is? What do you think what do you think is a greater social narrative regarding that?
Speaker 2: Gosh, I don't even know what to say about it, except that you know when you see it, and you know it's kind of weird, because you know, I'd like to say that when I see it, you know, people coming together, that it's not always obvious, but it's but it's pretty obvious. Yeah, and it's really obvious that that people, I think are you know. What I'm seeing is that people are really willing to sit and dine with somebody that they would not have maybe even crossed paths with, except in the cafe or out on the street. But the street's not always the best place, you know, it's hey, how are you today, you know whatever, But just to see people one of my volunteers sitting by himself, you know, waiting on his lunch to come, and maybe he's even planned on taking it with him to go, and somebody will come up and say, hey, can I join you for lunch at a big table? And other table empty, and then I also think of another uh, six or seven guys and guys and gals, an older couple that I'm not even sure they knew this man. But now if if they're all in the cafe together, they're all sitting together, they've all become friends. They all know that, you know, the first one to come in, they'll sit at the table, and they'll be sure that they sit at one of the big tables. So they are friends that they've made at the cafe that aren't anywhere.
Speaker 1: With people that are with the today's societal preconceived notion says, don't belong at.
Speaker 2: A table together, right, exactly exactly. An older a very wealthy retired couple, you know, a banker, a fellow that's living in uh subsidized housing.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just all sitting there, eating together.
Speaker 2: All sitting there, eating together and having deep conversation. Not just sitting there.
Speaker 1: They're sitting there saying hi, They're.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, I mean, having very deep conversation.
Speaker 1: Isn't it interesting that despite all the political and societal rhetoric that at the end of the day, what breaks it down there's a cup of.
Speaker 2: Soup, yeah, yeah, or a cup of coffee.
Speaker 1: A cup of coffee or solid yeah, it's it's it's phenomenal. And and if you think about it, I mean, you provide a place that's safe to.
Speaker 2: Do that, yeah, And that's yeah.
Speaker 1: And maybe that maybe the greater social narrative is part of our division and separation is because we don't have a safe place to exchange those ideas exactly and conversation. So I think so, so maybe we need to turn the Capitol Building into a big old community cafe in.
Speaker 2: DC why not?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: Or our libraries, you know, or are Yeah, you know, I think about going into the library, and you know, because oftentimes, you know, people that are looking for shelter will go hang out in library. They're kind of over there, you know, and you don't want your children to go over there. Come on, children, let's go to the so But I think people are becoming I honestly do think that. I don't know since when, but I have seen that that people are more willing to actually engage and have a conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That gives me some hope.
Speaker 2: And even a hard conversation. I mean, you know, I've heard conversations where I think of one gentleman in particular that comes in the cafe almost every day as a painting customer, that will sit and ask one of our homeless, truly homeless, how'd you end up? How'd you end up on the streets? And most of the time, you know, he's had a conversation or two with them, he's seen them over time, he's earned that right to actually delve into deeper conversation, and he doesn't feel afraid and therefore to ask those hard questions. And therefore that person doesn't feel, you know, afraid to tell or insulted, or afraid to say, well, you know, I made stupid choices.
Speaker 1: But the growth that comes from that, instead of looking a homeless person as a drag on society and looking at him as a human right and understanding their story. Yes, you know, pretty much all of us are a couple of mistakes away from being right there too.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely, And.
Speaker 1: To find a place that can serve them and give them dignity is beautiful. And I think it's so interesting that the eclectic collection of people sitting around a couple of soup having those conversas stations is so telling about what's missing in our society today. Yes, so I imagine with all the people that pass in and out of the doors of the cafe, there's there's ample opportunity for you to also mentor in the in the small way. I know you're not running a cafe and in a social work place, but it's ample opportunity. Have you been able to Have you been able to help some of the folks that are volunteers at the cafe to find steady employment and forever homes and things like that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Most of the time, when I think about ones that we've helped out. It's usually been we we have in the past had social work interns from the colleges around and that's always a great well, that's it's incredible. I love having them. As a matter of fact, I'm just sitting here thinking I'm supposed to get in touch with somebody about getting one for January, so that I'm glad I'm here thinking about it. But we have had the good fortune to have some community service volunteers or some social work interns that have come in and set up programs just where they'll help somebody write a resume or fill out a job application, give them job skills. And I think of one fella, and it's been more than one, but I think of one fella in particular that has been volunteering probably since almost the beginning, that has had permanent employment. Now he's been let go from a couple of places, but he never has trouble finding a job and he probably has been working seven years.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, I think of a couple other guys that I don't even see anymore because they don't.
Speaker 1: They I mean in the greatest sense, they don't need you exactly exactly. But that's but that's great news.
Speaker 2: Occasionally they'll pop in and say hey, but don't see them on a regular basis because most of the time they work, you know, they'll end up working nights at a factory or something like that and sweep from where they were exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's another fantastic reward. Ye, amazing, they're In my experience coaching football, there have been highs, there have been lows. Thirty years of it, around thirty years of kids. There's always highs and us there's always excitement and sadness and everything else. And there are a few times that that just emotionally, I was so touched. Do you have you have a story from your time at community cafe that is just deeply emotionally touching to you, that that that kind of speaks to the depth of the cafe. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One in particular, there's two stories that I think of, and one one is very short. I'll share it. First. There was a young gentleman I'd never seen before. The Greyhound bus station used to be right across the street from us. It is now Dozy place. Yeah, it's really cool. But anyways, the bus station was right there. This fellow walked in the cafe and it was freezing. It was just a couple years ago, probably two years ago. Came in the cafe and he had on short sleeves and he had on blue jeans and tennis shoes and nothing. It was literally freezing. I mean it was probably twenty degrees at.
Speaker 1: I guess is he just got out of jail.
Speaker 2: He had just gotten out of jail, had been dropped.
Speaker 1: Let him out of jail without a jacket?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I know he paid his debt to society exactly, and I know society can't provide you a house. They're going to have your bus ticket and fifty bucks whatever. But at least a jacket when it's freezing outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and exactly. And you know, if nothing else, I mean, if if somebody can't pay for it, I mean, if the community can't or the government can't pay for a jacket or a sweater at least for these people, all they have to do is say, hey, let's you know, maybe that's something that somebody could start. I just had this.
Speaker 1: Idea exactly, jackets for felons.
Speaker 2: Jacket fellon, but seriously, why not? I mean I have people all the time that call and want to, you know, bring you know, clothing, jackets, jackets and hats and stuff like that. So why not.
Speaker 1: So this young man gets off.
Speaker 2: The he comes in and he is what community cafe is just right? Because I don't know if I don't know if the bus station was open. I guess it probably was, but he and I don't know if they're if maybe they weren't allowed to just you know, linger in the bus station. And he knew nothing about Jackson. He had come into Jackson for a party or something like that, or to visit a friend was at a party. I think probably got thrown in jail for public drunkenness, did his time, got out, was trying to head back to wherever he was from. I don't even remember where it was, and had on a red T shirt and blue jeans and tennis shoes and it was freezing out and he was sitting there and he said, can I have Can I have a cup of coffee? And I said absolutely, you can have a cup of coffee. I said, let me get you some coffee. And he said, what is this place? So I told him and he said, can I volunteer? And I said, I tell you what I said. You can volunteer, but not until we get you warmed up. And I went downstairs. It was one of those times that somebody had dropped off blankets and you know, stuff like that, which a lot of people will do, especially in the winter. And I went downstairs and dug through what we had and I got Hi my hat, and I got him gloves, and I got him a scarf, and I got him a jacket. I got him a blanket, and I wrapped him up. And he looked at me and he said, I haven't been treated like this since my grandmother died. And I thought I was going to lose it. I thought I was just going to open up and week right then. He was probably early thirties or so.
Speaker 1: You know, that means he hadn't felt.
Speaker 2: Loved exactly his grandma exactly.
Speaker 1: And did you tell him I'm not old enough to be your grandmother? Shut up?
Speaker 2: I did, Hey, Hey, are you telling me what yourandmother?
Speaker 1: That is the sweetest thing it did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really touched he was.
Speaker 1: He tearing up? Was he almost emotional just being yes?
Speaker 2: He was, Yes, he was very emotional. And he sat there and he got warm and he drank up of coffee and he had another cup of hot water, just holding it to keep it to get his hands warm, and and he said, okay, what can I do? And he went to work for about thirty forty minutes and I said, okay, it's time for you to eat. I said, your bus is going to be here in about forty five minutes. I said, you need you need to eat and get it get out of here. And when he got ready to go, he came up and he said, I'd really like to hug you. And I said, you're welcome to hug me. And I said, and I'd really like to pray for you. And you know, when people come into the cafe, they will frequently ask if we're a Christian ministry, or you know, if everybody in there's Christians. And I'm kind of like, well, why does that really matter? And I'll say, no, you know, not everyone in here is that I know that I know of, but my family and I, yeah, I were Christians, and you know, but it says it there on the door to love, to feed, to dignify, and that's what we're trying to do. And I had never felt called to pray for somebody, but I really am, truly felt the Holy Spirit saying you need to ask this man if you can pray for him. And I asked him. He said, I wish you would so Anyways, that was one and then the second time was one of the gentlemen that we had my family had gotten to know through Church without Walls before the cafe opened. Was kind of like the bad dude in downtown Jackson. His street name was Cadillac, and everybody was afraid of Cadillac. And everybody wanted to warn me about Cadillac. You know that guy that's back there washing your dishes. You know, you better watch out for him. He's a he's a snake, you know. And I was like, I've known Cadillac for about four years. Cadillac. If if I was down here, you know, one evening and left the cafe, if I was down here working, you know, and was leaving the cafe and got in trouble, Cadillac would probably come from, you know, out of nowhere like Superman to save you know me. He loved he was so attracted to my family that I know that man would have done anything for us. Well, he was going to get to go see his mother in Gary, Indiana, and was a person in Johnson, and yes, completely homeless. And I knew where he stayed a lot of the time because he would ask us if we could buy him some kerosene. I guess it is for a kerosene heater in the winter. And I'd say, well, you know Cadillac, like, I said, Well, we only called him Cadillac outside of the cafe. I told him, I said, you can't use your street name in here, so you can come on outside. No I never did that, but we didn't. We didn't. We don't allow them to use street names inside. So anyways, I just told him, I said, Kenneth, I said, you know I can. I can loan you some money for some kerosene, but I'm going to go buy it for you. You know, how's that sound? Because one, I don't I don't like to make a habit of just handygout money. Now bus passes will occasionally do and whatnot. But I said, I'll loan it to you. I said, but I need you back here, you know, on Friday, and you're going to help just close down or something like that. And he was like, okay, okay, I'll be more. Yes, that'd be great. So anyways, we and I knew where he'd stay because my husband would usually drop it off or oor, my older son would.
Speaker 1: Drop it off.
Speaker 2: So anyways, he was supposed to go to Gary, Indiana to see his mom one weekend. And this was on like a Wednesday, and he said, I really need some help, he said, I promise if you can help me, he said, And he said I need my medications refilled. And I said, well, yeah I can. And he wasn't asking me to pay for him because he got no. He it was just no. You know, I don't think that Kenneth really had any mental health issues. I just think he had he had just made a lot of really bad choices in his life and he would yeah, and he would tell you that, and he was probably in his fifties.
Speaker 1: Well, I was just wondering if the medicine was like lithium, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it was this blood pressure medication and something else. And he was using drugs. I mean, we knew that. And I had several times said Kenneth, you can't come in today. You know I can tell you've been using something. Yeah, and he always understood, okay, okay, I'll be back tomorrow or something like that. So anyways, he asked me if I would get his medications refilled. He said, I just need a way to get him and I said sure. I said, give me you know your prescription, and I said, I'll get him refilled for you. I'll have him down here no later than Friday, I said, cause I know you're leaving Saturday or Sunday. We didn't come in on Thursday, which was really unusual, and then he didn't show up on Friday to pick up his medications. And then I was down at the Farmer's market downtown on Saturday and a friend of mine and I were, this sounds so mean, cruel, but I said, I haven't seen Kenneth lately. I hope he's not laying up there in his bed and can't get up. He's frozen to death or something. No way, Monday, he did not freeze to death. Monday, after I got home from the cafe, somebody called and said, have you seen Facebook, WBBJ or something like that, And I said no, what And they said Kenneth is missing And I said what? And I said, well, maybe he went on to his mom's and just didn't get and they said, no, Kenneth is missing, like his mom has called and said he was supposed to be at her house Sunday night and he's missing. So I hung up and or yeah, I hung up, and I called the police and I said, my understanding is that Kenneth is missing, and I know where he usually stayed, and he was dead. He had either odd or yeah. And you know, he was just kind of one of those guys in Jackson that you either loved him or you or you didn't necessarily loved him, but you liked him yeah, yeah, or you feared him, and you know, to our family was one of those, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Isn't it inevitable in this work, though, that you're going to have people, you're going to deal with some of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we've had, We've had We've had a couple, you know, of our volunteers that have passed away, and it's always it's it's very sad, but those those two.
Speaker 1: So I think it's hilarious that the homeless are not referred to as the freebies or whatever they're you're volunteers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are volunteers. Yeah, we don't we don't say, oh, yeah, he's almost.
Speaker 1: You know, he's a volunteer.
Speaker 2: Volunteers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they can come in with dignity and not say I need a free mill. I'm here to volunteer. Yeah, and went on through volunteering. You can feedbee amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they do. They come in and they say I'm here to volunteer.
Speaker 1: Which implies I need food. I'm here to eat, but I'm going to do my work for us.
Speaker 2: And by the way, we do also have community service volunteers, so we have people. Sure, kids from the need community service hours for school, you know, the whole that's school. Yeah, the whole community college group now has to volunteer eight at but but you're an.
Speaker 1: Approved place for them to get those hours, which is also very cool.
Speaker 2: I've also we've also had what are they called the whole seos or whatever from the schools and now you know, kids that are in a school or uh you know, or have been technically suspended from school. Yeah, they'll have their I'll have their Yeah. And it is so funny because they come in and they're almost always there for a week, sometimes longer, and they come in and they are mad, they did edgy be there. They hate you, they hate your food. They hate their mama is stupid. Yes, and I cannot tell you as a matter of fact, I can't tell you you of one that has left that place going this is the stupidest place I've ever seen. They come back and I'll say, now, look, I want to see you back, but I want to see you back on different terms, and they'll say, yes, ma'am, miss Amy, I'm going to behave. I'm going back to school and I'm going to behave and I'm going to come visit. And sometimes they do, they come back to visit. I love those. Yeah, those kind of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll be right back. I mean, this is beautiful. But there is a you know, profits or necessary measure of any organization's success. And although you're a nonprofit, right you still have you have staff. Yeah, there's paid staff in the kitchen and all. So is there enough money coming in from revenue from the food to cover staff or do you also raise money?
Speaker 2: Well, we we do when we need to, really, yeah, we really do.
Speaker 1: So you run it to just cover the bills, cover staff, and get out of there. And if you're a little short, you'll go out to the community and say, hey, we need help, and how's the community to respond to that incredible.
Speaker 2: Two years after we opened, we kind of had a dry spell and I basically sent just hit it on Facebook. I could probably pull it up right now. It was probably two or three years into it, and I said, hey, I said, community cafe, friends and peeps. I said, you know, here's what's going on. You know, we need to keep the lights on, we need to keep buying food. We haven't seen you in a while, basically is what it said. I can't even remember.
Speaker 1: We don't get some revenue exactly.
Speaker 2: And I can write if I have some time to think of it, I must say I can, I can write.
Speaker 1: You get out there.
Speaker 2: So I did, and I just said, we need your help. This is not about keeping us in a job. This is not about I'm not.
Speaker 1: Making any money doing this.
Speaker 2: It's not about me exactly. It's about I said, this is your cafe. It's community cafe, the Jackson community. If you want to see these doors remain open, we need your help. And they came out and they helped. I had people that sent checks. I had businesses that sent checks. I had people that said, hey, I can't give any extra than more than a dollar or two per meal. But I'll do that, and I'll bring in friends. I had people that called and said or emailed and said, I'm a handyman, you know. So I had this whole list of people that were willing to say, if you need this, don't pay for it, let us let me know, and I can come and help you do this.
Speaker 1: And let's be reminded, as we're listening to you, this is in Jackson, In Jackson, Tennessee. We're not talking about a big city with a lot of people that deal with urban type problems. And I guess my point is, if you can pull this off in Jackson, oh yeah, anybody, it can be done anywhere with the right attitude, the right love, and the right afforc And let.
Speaker 2: Me tell you one of the best stories. And I think you're kind of trying to wrap this up, but one of the best stories is that twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Actually I was going to ask you tell me one of your best.
Speaker 2: Stories twenty twenty. So interestingly enough, our soup kitchen closed the doors.
Speaker 1: Not your not not to Jackson had a soup kitchen for the underserved. And they why did they were?
Speaker 2: They were doing box meals, I think, and some you.
Speaker 1: Know, privately funded by church or something.
Speaker 2: Probably they get federal funding or.
Speaker 1: How does something gets federal funding? Close?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe they don't get federal funding. I guess I shouldn't say that, but let's just say the closed.
Speaker 1: They didn't run out of money. What they run out of they didn't.
Speaker 2: They felt like they needed to be closed to the public during COVID, like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm missing I'm sorry during COVID. Yes, they which means there's people in your community. That's probably the meal.
Speaker 2: They get exactly or want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyways, and they also said, hey, can we send them down to you.
Speaker 1: We're closed, we can't stay open, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go down the street. And they were again they were doing some boxes, box launch and bags of groceries and stuff like that. But when you think about it, that doesn't help the truly homeless because they don't have anywhere to prepare that food. So anyways, we closed for about only about three weeks to maybe five weeks at most, I can't even remember.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: We closed to dine in, but we set up in not outside in front, but just in the front of the cafe. We set up and had box lunches and anybody could come and get a box lunch. We were serving probably sixty people a day for free.
Speaker 1: We did the revenue for that.
Speaker 2: Well, yep, so we had people still coming in, you know, that were out and about. You know, it did everything shut down for a while, but we still had some that were at the courthouse in downtown and some of our regular customers that would drive down and go, hey, I want lunch, you know, and they'd come and they'd get lunch, and you know, they'd pay more than there's what their suggested donation was. But I also wrote a letter to businesses in the community, especially in downtown, and especially of our customers that I knew owned businesses that frequented the cafe, and I said, look, we're serving you know, sixty people a day that aren't paying and cannot pay a nickel for their lunch, that need to eat. We need to feed these people. We need some help. And again the Jackson community rose above and beyond and we made it through Covet. That is just so yeah, it was, It was really that was That was probably one of the highlights of yeah, of my time.
Speaker 1: But if you ever wondered about humanity, it restores your faith and if you have faith in humanity, it's a it's a reminder that you know, if you're doing things the right way and for the right reasons, and you simply ask help, often will come. Well, it's it's so called to think about when he opened all your kids, I guess, washing windows, washing dishes, and doing whatever the heck it is their mom told him.
Speaker 2: To do exactly. I'm not always liking it either, for sure.
Speaker 1: But sometime during the nine year process of this, you lost a child.
Speaker 2: We did, we did.
Speaker 1: And it was Cooper.
Speaker 2: It was right, yep, yep, it was Cooper. He was our second adopted from China, and Cooper was seventeen years old.
Speaker 1: And he'd worked in the restaurant.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, people knew Cooper. Yeah, people knew Cooper. Yeah. Cooper's teeny tiny, but Cooper had a huge personality. He used to tell. Some of his funniest lines were he used to tell my brother, who was single until after well shortly before Cooper died, he would tell Craig, my brother. He'd say, Craig, you got ain't girlfriends? And he'd say, no, he goes, you need to get on match dot com and get you a wife.
Speaker 1: How was he was Cooper.
Speaker 2: Ten probably at the time when he started that, and then he also loved country music. So you see this little Chinese fella singing country music at the top of his lungs. And he used to tell us that he was going to be the first Chinese country music store.
Speaker 1: You know. Political correctness almost says I'm not supposed to laugh about that, but yours mom and allowed to laugh about that is funny.
Speaker 2: Because we laughed about it. Oh, I can't even tell you that. The Cooper stories, I mean, there are so many Cooper stories. And when we all get together, like we were all together at Christmas this year, some of the stories that came out, yeah, just and some I was kind of like, oh, I really don't want to hear that.
Speaker 1: Want to hear that.
Speaker 2: I want to hear that. One we had a catwalk at our house and I found out just at our house in Jackson, and underneath on either side there was a den and a couch and they used to jump off the catwalk onto the couch when I was not there, yes, or when I was. Yeah, it's just crazy.
Speaker 1: Our kids did stupid stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And I was like, so Cooper, you know, We don't, honestly know. We really did not feel like Cooper took his own life. We did not know that Cooper had any inkling that you know, he was. We had no idea that he was unhappy. Cooper had been. Cooper was he had some learning difficult disabilities in school. So I do think that he kind of struggled with not yeah yeah, and not really feeling like he was as smart as his other brother that was only, you know, four months older than he is, Mike. He uh, he had homeschooled. He really kind of didn't fit in. He's one of the one of the reasons we moved out to uh Myland went to Gibson County School District. He and Leah needed something more than what they were being served in schools in Jackson, and he had homeschooled a couple times off and on. He actually did a homeschool class in the eighth grade that met in the upstairs of the cafe with three kids, and it was phenomenal. It was the most fun and it was probably the best year of Cooper's life. And he so many people at the cafe got to know Cooper from him being down there literally every day and got to know the true his personality and who he was, and just loved him. And he loved to fish and he would talk to you for hours on end about fishing. But he and Mike had been fighting, and I think I think Mike has moved on beyond, you know, feeling like, you know, maybe if I didn't fight with them, you know, maybe if it was a tough thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a tough bear. But there's so many you know, there's so much more deep seated things than an argument for somebody to go there, right.
Speaker 2: And I'll also say Cooper was on ADHD medication and I'm not blaming I'm not at all blaming any of the meditations or what. But he was on ADHD medication and he was also on growth hormones, and I kind of wonder if all of a sudden, all of that had kind of come together.
Speaker 1: He was seventeen, well combined with yeah, everything clicking. It a seventeen year old boy's mind and body, which is exactly utter chaos anybody exactly.
Speaker 2: But Jim and I had unfortunately just left for Italy for a two week vacation, and Mike and Cooper had kind of been at each other but it had calmed down and I thought everything was good. And actually when we left them, I gave him a big old hug and I said, hey, I said, you know, if you have any problems, I said, you can you can always email me, or you know, I've got service, you can text me. And I said, Cooper, I said, just be the bigger man. Just don't you know, just don't let him get to you, because I think that that was kind of you know, what happened sometimes was you know, they'd get arguing and one of them would say something and Cooper wore his feelings on his sleeve and he could definitely get injured pretty quick to the heart. So and he said, I will mind my will and we I think my understanding is that they went shopping the next day Sunday, they all went to Old Navy and had a big time and no tell him what was on my credit card. But anyways, I think it was Monday afternoon he got a little bit of trouble at school. He had was on he was actually emailing me on his not as iPad, whatever his little thing was. Because we kind of are those, you know, weird people that don't give her kids technology. You know, for a while. But he had some sort of I'm kidding, but he had some sort of you know, little whatever. Those things were called tablets, and he was emailing me during his resource time where he was supposed to be doing some extra studying and stuff. And he told his teacher, he said, well, I'm already done, that's why I'm on it. I'm just going to email my mom. And she said, Cooper, you know you can't be on that, you know, during class. Bring it up here. So he took it up there and he put it on the desk. So she went into the next room connecting room to help a student and he got it off her desk. So he got in trouble for that, and then he got mouthy, which Cooper could definitely get mouthy, and he got in trouble and he did not like that. He got in trouble and they asked him, I can't remember, I think they told him he was going to be suspended for a day. And the teacher walked him out to whoever we had a babysitter or a sitter, you know, for all the kids, and she walked the teacher walked him out and said, you know, Cooper, can't come to school tomorrow. You know, he's been in trouble. He was disrespectful and that just did it. I mean, he just I guess, we don't know what happened, but he wandered off on the property, said he was going for a while. We live on about eighty acres and they couldn't find him, and they got started getting a little worried as it started getting a little drizzly out and it was the end of October and was getting cool out, and you know, I got this call that he was missing, and I had we at the time still owned our house in Jackson, so we had somebody drive over the house in Jackson. Our older son had come over and you know, was helping look for him. The police apartment had been called. Long story short, they found that my our oldest son found him the next day and he had taken his own life. I'm so sorry, and well, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: As it begins to our story. Yeah that we're telling for you is we all struggle, We all deal with pain. And you've had this amazing life with these kids and this husband of yours and the two of you must be partners in crime to do what you've done creating the United Nations and Jackson and the amazing work with Community Cafe. But nobody's life is perfect and peaches and roses, and we all do with sadness and pain and difficulty, and that's just what makes us normal people. And this happened in the middle of you operating the cafe. It had to have. Did you ever question, do I want to keep doing this? I mean, was it? I mean, how do you persevere in the face of that?
Speaker 2: I guess is what I'm asking you.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I did take about a month off, and you know, I'll be very honest and say, there are still days that, you know, I get up and think I don't want to do anything. You know, I don't want to do anything, and and there were a lot of those days. But I also knew, and I'd always said that the cafe was my happy place. And even though I knew that first day back was gonna be really hard, my husband was absolutely fabulous. He had already said, when you're ready to go back, I'll go with you. You know, you don't have to go by yourself. I know that's gonna be hard, And and that was a really good thing because I think maybe he had already been down there, because a lot of times he would go, you know, he went back to work in the hospital is not very far from the cafe. May maybe he had been back for lunch. I'm pretty sure he had, because I think I remember him saying, so and so asked about you today. But the two of us went back together, you know, kind of as a united front, and you know, everybody, you know, no one. It was amazing because I just thought, I don't want people to feel like they can't say I'm so sorry to hear about Cooper, and you know.
Speaker 1: What do you say to a mom? Exactly that's so hard. Exactly everybody's dying inside for you, but they also don't want to say anything to hurt you, right, So the natural incondation is to just not say, not say anything.
Speaker 2: Except I think people have I think people in general, like across the board, have gotten much better at dealing with death and dying, and probably especially now after COVID, even though that was fre COVID. But I don't remember one person just you know, floating over it, not saying anything that that actually.
Speaker 1: Knew, and that was probably therapeutic.
Speaker 2: It was very therapeutic and it was again. I mean, I had for so many years said that the cafe was my happy place, that I needed to be back there. I like to tell people that I've.
Speaker 1: That amazing that it's called community cafe and it was your community too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll be right back, you know.
Speaker 2: I love to tell people that I am actually an extroverted introvert, and I truly am. I've got a daughter that is an extroverted introvert also meaning that, well you know what that means. I mean, I love people, and I love being with people, but I also love my own time. But I think I had had enough of my own time and it was time to put on my boots and put on my apron and head back. And you know, I knew that I eventually had to, you know, see everybody, And.
Speaker 1: So I mean, the reality is your life has to go on exactly. It's amazing. It's amazing that in the middle of all of this you had to endure such pain and heartache and persevered through it. But it is, unfortunately just part of a human beings narrative. We have setbacks, and we have painful, horrific, traumatic things, but it doesn't mean we stopped right.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, but you can't stop living. You can't just quit. And you know, unfortunately, I've known a couple of people that have have actually lost sons taking their own life since Cooper, and you know that that's my one thing is I never give advice, but if somebody says, how do you do it? You know, you just you have to keep moving, take that time, take that time to take care of yourself, you know. And I think, you know, I just relied on It was the Holy Spirit for me saying Okay, Amy, you know you're up, you're up and moving this morning. It's time for you to go back to the cafe. And that's basically what it was. It was just, you know, I just felt like, Okay, I can go and I need to go and and love my people.
Speaker 1: It's phenomenal, amazing, And you know.
Speaker 2: The best thing is is that people also know now that everybody knows that that, and everybody will want every once in a while, somebody will come up and say, I just thought about something that Cooper told me one time, and they'll share it with me. Cooper's teacher actually gave me his homeschool teacher from upstairs at the cafe one day said I have something for you, and she had found some of his papers, so she gave me his papers from school, and she also gave me in that little bag there was a fun sized candy bar, because he used to say, I'm not I'm not little, I'm just fun size, and he was. And then also for her birthday that year, So embarrassed to say this, but I'm gonna say it, he dug through my supply of candles because he knew I loved candles and he thought she would love candles. Well, he didn't bother to check to be sure that the candle was a new candle, so he gave her candle.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's a thought the cats.
Speaker 2: So anyway, well, there you go.
Speaker 1: Cooper's legacy clearly lives on in you in the community cafe. It's an amazing story. So let's say somebody's listened to us and they think I want to do that in my neighborhood. How do they reach you and find out how to do it?
Speaker 2: They are more than welcome to call me at the cafe. That note it's seven three one, three hundred four six seventy four, and they are welcome to if they really want to touch base with me on my cell phone because I usually only go in on Thursday and Friday. Now I've got a great staff. They can talk to Tina or Austin and almost always they.
Speaker 1: Will about email you if they want to.
Speaker 2: They can email me. And I don't mind giving that out. That is because they can find it on the website. It's Community Cafe Jackson at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 2: But again, call come by see what we're all about to eighteen East Main Street in Jackson, Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Or if they don't want to open a cafe and they just feel called to serve about a thousand people, they can drop you a check in the mail.
Speaker 2: They can drop us a check in the mail, and we you know what. I never pretend like, oh, we're making it. It's going to be great, you know, because the guy that does my finances would be like me talking about I'm the one paying the bills. But yeah, so we've got I think on our Facebook page or on our website, Community Cafe Jackson, I think there's a donate mutton there. There's a donate mutton on our Facebook page. Our Facebook and our Instagram always has the menu. We love having out of town company come through and say hey, I just heard about you and wanted to come have lunch.
Speaker 1: It's an incredible story and you're an incredible person. And I want everybody to go back to the beginning of our conversation. If you can start a community cafe or some other name with a cool l acronym, but something like this with ten children driving around a twelve passenger van like a bus driver Walmart. If you can do.
Speaker 2: It, anybody can do it.
Speaker 1: Anybody really can do this and make a difference in so many people's lives. And it's just a perfect example of government proves woefully and inadequate helping the underserved and the homeless. But just a normal person in the middle of the community seeing a place of need and saying I can help, can make all the difference in the world, exactly. And the payoff is how enriched has your life out from itue?
Speaker 2: Absolutely and it has I think more than anything it has probably it has made our children who they are and who are who they are, becoming just kind, respectful, always wanting to.
Speaker 1: Help, probably really appreciative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as you did. And yeah, it's just you know, shown them that somebody doesn't have to walk the same walk or look the same way, or you know, go to a certain school or certain church or whatever to be a friend. You know, and you can be a friend to anybody and you know, be there to help out when you're called to help out.
Speaker 1: So you and your husband Jim, right, Jim, You and your husband Jim have been the family you've built and the way you built it, and then for him to build the furniture and for you to do what you've done and involve your children and your entire family is a blessing for Jackson, and your story is a blessing for all of us listening. And maybe, just maybe somebody has heard this story and they thought, well, I only have two kids, I can do this, and Topeka absolutely or something else and will feel called to it, and they know how to get in touch with you now and Amy, it has been an absolute pleasure to share your story. And you, my friend, are absolutely a member of the army of normal folks.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to be a member of the army of normal folks. You, although I kind of think sometimes I'm not really very normal. Jim and I actually always talk about we're not normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, the two kids and everything else is it. But you're also not some preordained politician or somebody else who's quote job it is to do this. You're just a normal person who saw a place to fill it and has done so in such a magnificent way, both in your family and your community. And I just can't thank you enough for joining me.
Speaker 2: It's been a fun ride. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: And thanks to all of you for joining us this week. If Amy or another guest has inspired you in general, or better yet, to take action by visiting community cafe or a similar cafe elsewhere, donating to them, or even starting one in your community, or something else entirely, please let me know. I'd love to hear about it. You can write me anytime at Bill atnormalfolks dot us. Guys. Just two days ago, I got an email from a guy in Florida who's been helping a guy in Haiti with an orphanage, and he was inspired by Luke Michelson's story that you might remember sleep in Heavenly Peace building beds for kids that don't have any, And now this guy who runs an orphanage in Haiti is now having the kids in his orphanage. Bill beds for other kids in Haiti who don't have bets. If that is not an unbelievable example of the power of an army of normal folks, I don't know what is even better yet. We're gonna have this gentleman from Haiti come on as a guest in the future and you're gonna get to hear about all his story, which started from Luke Michelson's story. See guys. An Army of normal folks is about building a community of people who build off one another. And if you hear about it, or you see it, or you want to be part of it, write me at Bill Atnormalfolks dot us. I promise you I'll respond, And if you enjoyed this episode, share it with friends that are on social subscribe to the podcast, rate and review it all the things that will continue to help us grow an army of normal folks. I'm Bill Courtney. I'll see you next week.